Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think we are.
Speaker 1: Get off our show, idiot.
Speaker 2: The kids are playing or turn off your countries are screwing it up.
Speaker 1: Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals.
Speaker 2: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 1: Who's the kid here? Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me? Now? Here's Nick Coffee?
Speaker 3: All right, let's get it started. A game day edition of Coffee and Company. Here on Sports Talk seven ninety. We are fuel about Thorntons. Some reason, I almost forgot to say that, which is very unusual of me. In fact, I probably say it more often than I need to. But I love to tell you guys that we are in fact fuel about Thortons because it's awesome. So sign up today if you have not yet become a member of the Thorntons Refreshment Awards program. You'll save money at the gas pump and life will just be better for you. Can't prove that, but we're gonna speak it into existence, all right. Three hours and a lot to get into today. So hang out, don't forget, take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the iHeart Radio app. Also listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com nit Coffee.
Speaker 2: That's me, mister Radio.
Speaker 3: Rick Ryder alongside once again today and I guess we'll just dive right into the news that came out really, I think before six o'clock, but if you listened in the five o'clock hour yesterday, we were out a little bit earlier than we usually are because of a basketball game, So it actually worked out to where, like, I don't even really know what my reaction would have been if I was still on the air when I saw that. I mean, it wouldn't have been anything crazy. I wouldn't have, you know, like lost my mind or done anything you know that would get me fired. But I don't think I you know, there were times yesterday where thinking about how things played out with the lost to Stanford, like I just words couldn't come out of my mouth. I couldn't speak. I was trying to process what I wanted to say, and I just nothing was working. And it's just because of how you know, insane that loss was. But throughout the conversation we had yesterday and we talked to a lot of different callers and it was a pretty caller driven show, people just expressing their frustration sharing what they think is, you know, really worrisome about the way this season has gone, and it's not is if things are, you know, I mean, let's be real, it could be a lot worse. But it's also just been really frustrating this year and the loss to Stanford and the way it played out. I mean, that's probably the most frustrated fans have been all year. And at times you think to yourself, we can't make this up, no way. Well, what we didn't get to discuss yesterday, which I'm sure all of you are aware of now, is right in there with the other things as far as you can't make this up up. So Teyon Holloway, who is a sophomore defensive back for Louisville, and I and I you know, I'll be honest with you.
Speaker 2: I feel like.
Speaker 3: Before this news of him getting arrested and charged with assault and strangulation, he was, until further notice, is going to be known as the guy who you know, committed the unthinkable penalty that cost you a game. Obviously a lot of other mistakes and really a consistent pattern there towards the end, just doing everything you could to give Stanford the ability to win that game in regulation with a field goal. I mean, as I said yesterday, I think you could have you could have made the case that they were strategically trying to do that. I know they weren't, but I mean that's that's the way that it played out. But he was flag for unsportsmanlike conduct for a sideline shove, and you know that was that was a big no no. I mean, that was one of again many things, but that's like all the things that seems to be maybe the most controllable. I don't know, you can make the case that off sides is controllable, but that's just a guy, you know, ready to go make a play and he timed it incorrectly. But Tayon Holloway again, we had somebody calling yesterday. This is actually just now coming back to me now. We had somebody calling yesterday that said that they're done with Louisville football maybe forever. I think it might have been more so just for they were done for the season. If that guy plays another second because of just how egregious that that mistake was and how silly it was. Well, this guy whenever Louisville got back to town. The team got back to town on Sunday evening, he then got himself arrested seemingly within like an hour or so of being back. So this is not something that came up yesterday on the show, But if you listened to Jet Brown's press conference yesterday, he talked about how they were not able to get back to Louisville that night. And it's a long flight anyway, but typically, you know, they load up from the stadium and they make their way to some airport to catch their chartered flight to get back to Louisville, really regardless of where they are, and they were unable to do that because the crew didn't have a full staff and they had to stay tonight, and they didn't land in Louisville till about eight o'clock. It sounds like, well, after the team landed, Tan Holloway ended up making his way back to I don't know if it was where he lives here near campus or on campus or whatever, but I'll just read for you the news that came out. He was arrested on charges of felony strangulation and misdemeanor domestic assault. He allegedly attacked a woman when she tried to stop him from smoking marijuana about nine pm on Sunday night. That's according to the police report, so they claim in the police report. The details in the police report claimed that he threw the woman off the bed and struck her in the face with his fists. When she tried to fight back, Holloway allegedly put a pillow over her face, smothering her for about ten seconds before attempting to throw her out the room.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 3: This is all according to the details in the police report. Police were dispatched to a call for service at an apartment where they were and it was because at around nine o'clock somebody called nine one one and hung up, So of course that's something they got to check out. They got to vet the situation to make sure everybody's okay, and they showed up and it says here in this right up from WDRB dot com. Again, this is all according to the police report. That all parties inside the apartment were initially uncooperative with officers, and the election victim had a laceration on her upper lip and puffy eyes. So he's pleaded not guilty in court. His bond was set for ten thousand dollars. It's been posted, and UFL did release a statement Monday saying that they're aware of the arrest and that they're going to gather more information and while they do that, he has been suspended indefinitely from all team activities. He will be back in court on November twenty six. So, I mean, I know some people are trying and I really don't get this, to be honest with you, and if you you know, I trust me. In no way am I saying this is good news and not.
Speaker 2: A big deal. Why are people upset? That is not at all what I mean?
Speaker 3: Anybody with that opinion, I would I would love to hear how you came to that, because this is something that you know is terrible. I mean, again, to be fair to him, these are allegations made in a police report, and you know he is he's deserved due process here to see if he can. You know, maybe he's going to dispute what is alleged and maybe charges kid drop. We don't know, right and unfortunately this day and age, there's rarely a all right, let's wait and see what really happened kind of thing. And I look, I don't know, maybe it's worse than what's in the police report.
Speaker 2: I have no clue.
Speaker 3: So you know, I wanted to give that disclaimer before I say this, because I'm as upset as anybody about the way things happen against Stanford. I mean, that was just its really demoralizing, you know. In fact, the more time that passes, the more you know, sad I get about it. I mean, it's not you can do about it now, and it is pretty pathetic that, you know, what happens between you know, two college football teams across the country impacts my morale so much. But you know, I'm a I'm a lunatic for this stuff, like a lot of you guys. So what I was dressing up there before I say it because I don't want to act in sensitive to the situation.
Speaker 2: It's terrible, But.
Speaker 3: Like, I don't think this makes that I don't think this means that we've got like major problems within the Louisville football program. Obviously, they've been pretty undisciplined this year, and they make big mistakes that you just can't make. I mean, clearly we talked all about that yesterday, and in fact, more often than not this year, those have been the conversations about the team and in the play on the field. But this is absolutely an isolated incident, right the things we've been complaining about when Jeff, since Jeff Brahms got here, which, to be honest with you, we really haven't done that much complaining in the grand scheme of things. Obviously losing games like they've lost this year, the way it's happened, this team being pretty undisciplined, I mean, that's been frustrating, But like as far as off the field stuff where you have to worry about, you know, like the culture, and I mean, this is this is an isolated thing, and that makes it to where like, yeah, this stinks, and who knows, wouldn't be shocked if this guy never plays here again, especially you know, if if he ends up pleading guilty in what was alleged in the police report is actually true and he pleads guilty to it, then maybe he never plays here again.
Speaker 2: I don't know, none of us know, but.
Speaker 3: I don't think that this means that, like Louisville football man, things just are getting terrible when it rains, it pours, because this really has nothing to I mean, again, I don't want to sound like the hey, what's the big deal guy, because that's not really what I mean. This is something serious, but I don't think this is a sign that you've got this kind of stuff to worry about moving forward. So again, not the kind of news you want your football program to be associated with in any way under any circumstance, but especially whenever you know you're coming off of a law that ripped the heart out of a lot of us like Saturdays did. But again really two completely separate type of things. But again never never good news if you really really think about it. All right, we are gonna be joined coming up around four thirty by mister C. L. Brown of the Courier Journal get his thoughts on a lot of things, like we do each and every week. Cels become now regular guests. You know, he he called me out whenever I was in Charlotte at the ACC tip off and he was there, and he was you know, I was, I was gassing him up on the air. How it just blew my mind that everybody who was anybody to know in Charlotte at the acc tip off the a SEC basketball media days. If you're not familiar with with what that is, they all knew cel. I mean, he's been around covering college hoops for a long time. He spent a lot of time covering North Carolina's program once he left Louisville.
Speaker 2: Now he's back in Louisville.
Speaker 3: But like he was, he was the guy to know, like coaches coming up, dapping him up, and you know, he was like, why don't you have me on the show anymore?
Speaker 2: And I'm like, well, okay, we can do that. I thought he was.
Speaker 3: I thought he was kind of big time for us. But if he's willing to give us his time each week, which he's been very nice to do in the last few weeks, we'll certainly bring him in. So he'll join us at four thirty and other than that, we've got you guys, So if you want to join us on the show, you can. We will open up the phone lines coming up here after our first break. Five oh two, five seven, one seventy nine hundred is the number if you guys would like to uh to jump in and give us a call. You can also text in on the Ellen and Federal Credit Union text line five O two sixty five to three zero seven ninety and tonight's matchup against Bellerman.
Speaker 2: We'll certainly talk about that.
Speaker 3: I don't know if there's gonna be a whole lot of really previewing the game itself. Uh, you know, I think we kind of have a feeling for the way Scott Davenport's teams are going to play, and uh, they're having a rough start. Louisville is twenty eight and a half point favorites against Bellerman tonight, and I'll give you some things that I hope to see that'll give you, I guess, you know, some good pregame coverage if you will. However, this won't be much of a test, and if it is a really big test, then I would say that, you know, that would not be a good night. That will also lead me right back to where I often end up when it comes to games like this, and that is the fact that I hate games like this, because yeah, it's good, it's a good feel. You know, we're very familiar with Scott Davenport. He's a Louisville legend. And Bellerman. I'm not gonna act like I watch a whole lot of Bellerman games, but I want him to do well.
Speaker 2: I pull for him.
Speaker 3: I'm a big supporter, big fan of coach Davenport, and you know, that adds an element to it that you don't get when you play teams like Moorhead State or Popcorn State or whoever. But it's just really tough to know if you're getting better in a game like this, And that doesn't mean that you're not getting better. It's just impossible to know. You know, if the game's closer in Louisville doesn't cover, maybe that means that you're regressing, but you really have no way of knowing. So that's why I've always said that when it comes to teams that you know that are in the three hundreds in the kin Palm and the net or whatever, like, it's just, you know, I don't really don't know why you play those games, which actually that's a conversation I do want to get into a little bit later on. And I'm not gonna try to sway anybody's opinion, but I've always had this opinion and I've got pushback on it, and that is that, like I'm not against playing Bellerman at all. You know, why not you're gonna play morehead play Bellerman. I'm not saying that they shouldn't play. I'm not upset about it, but I also would totally understand if whoever takes over this program, which now it's Pat Kelsey, and I have no way of knowing what he's gonna do.
Speaker 2: We'll let you guys hear a little bit about it.
Speaker 3: He did talk at his press conference yesterday just about his history with with coach Davenport, and of course Doug Davenport, his son who Pat briefly hired at Winthrop only for Rick Patino to offer Doug a job and and Doug made it right back here to Louisville. So we'll let you get We'll let you guys hear a lot about that. And I think there's always been talk about will the series continue, and I think the doubt of it happening was because of Chris Mack not really being for it, and that ended up being, you know, not a huge talking point. But I don't think he you know, I don't know if there was ever any press conference there anything where he talked about it and said, yeah, we'll never play them again or I never want to play them. But if a coach did say, look, I'm going to choose to schedule somebody other than Bellerman here, I would totally understand why, Like Louisville playing Bellerman to Bellerman is a gift to Bellerman.
Speaker 2: I mean it is.
Speaker 3: There's no and that's not I mean that that take take any emotion or feeling out of what I just said. It is a gift to play Bellermin. It's a gift to play Morehead State. It's a gift to play these other teams because again, they benefit from it, whereas you really don't and you could mess around and lose. Louisville lost to Bellerman a couple of years ago. We remember that, don't we. I mean that was that was a nightmare. And I think because of the situation, meaning the Kenny Payne situation being as bad as it was, it didn't really like live as I'll never forget when we lost to Bellerman, who was brand new to Division one, because Kenny Payne lost a team like that somewhat frequently. Therefore, like it just got lost in the mix of all the other bad losses that Kenny Payne had. So you know, again, I'm not anti Bellerman by any means, but like if Pat Kelsey decided, Okay, after this this game, we're gonna move on and go in a different direction, and you know, schedule somebody differently. We're going to make sure we don't schedule teams that are in the three hundreds of the Ken Palm or the net. We're gonna go after teams that are more so, you know, in the mid two hundreds or better. Because what happens with Bellerman here. And I don't want to nerd out on the analytics, but look, analytics matter now when it comes to seating, and coaches are paying attention to that kind of stuff. You play a team like Bellerman at times, it makes it damn near impossible for you to do anything other than fall in these metrics and these analytics because you're supposed to beat them by this insane number, and if you don't, you're gonna fall. Now, maybe there's a chance that it ends up evening out when you get later on in the year. And you know, I mean again, I don't want to act like it's you can never do it, it'll kill your season, but coaches are going to continue to be more mindful of these numbers. And I just think teams that are that are in that range are gonna have a tough time getting Power five type opponents to schedule them because there's really no beneficial situation other than being able to say you added a win, but the win actually again, and that's that's that's my biggest gripe, and it's been my biggest gripe about these these different formulas. Rather it be college football, college basketball. You've got the FPI, the Football Power Index for ESPN, You've got the net rankings for the NC double A. I mean, hell, you still got BCS if you want to go there. I mean, people don't use it anymore as far as determining who makes the playoff or anything like that, but it's still out there. It still exists, the sagger and all that stuff, and they never factor in winning and losing enough, they factor in you know, how competitive it was. So you can get a W on your win column against a team of this caliber, but if you don't beat their brains in, then you actually don't. Mean again, the number shows that you added a win and not a loss. But in whatever formula you want a reference, when it comes to college basketball, you probably fell. So again, I just would love when people say it's good for the city. I don't really disagree because there's a lot of people that are feeling good today. This this game gives them more excitement and more anticipation to be there, to be a part of it than if Louisville was playing you know, Rio, Grand Valley State or something like that. But if a coach decided like, hey, I'm gonna not do it, and here's why, I think they have every right to do it. And I don't think it would be a huge issue to where you know, Louisville fans would be would be irate. But I do think some people would say, we why would you not play it? Well, I just told you that's why you wouldn't play it. And if you say, well, that's silly, that's your opinion, and that's fine, you know, because again I'm not telling you that you play a team like this, you won't make the tournament because they're just going to bring down your resume so much. It's not that, but man coaches are gonna fo coaches, especially coaches like Pat Kelsey. He's very much driven by numbers analytics, which is why he plays the style he plays. So I'm not trying to give anybody any kind of indication that I think it's going to end. But I would imagine the contract probably doesn't have a whole lot left on it. And it just wouldn't shock me if they're no longer a regular opponent for Louisville. And I think one, I think Louisville fans would be bummed by that.
Speaker 2: And if.
Speaker 3: And it wouldn't shock me either if coach Davenport, you know, made it clear in his own way that you know, he was very disappointed that they're not going to play the game anymore. But I would also understand the guy whose job it is to have success here, his livelihood is is certainly at stake. And and you know, and I already know there's going to be some people that say, well, it can't be that big of a deal to where you you maybe, look, that's your opinion, But it comes down to what the coach wants to do. And I would, you know, I would respect his decision if he decided. Yeah, love coach Davenport, love Bellerman, but we're just gonna, you know, we're gonna, we're gonna schedule a team that in this late November stretch of the schedule, there's a better likelihood we could do something to really maybe not really improve your situation, but at least you know, not fall.
Speaker 2: So we'll talk about that. Also, a lot of.
Speaker 3: College basketball games on tonight, Kentucky taking on is it Lipscomb? They're twenty one point favorites, which I'm not going to do it because I just I can't, but man, I feel like Kentucky minus twenty one right there is the best is the best bet of the night because they're a lot better than Lipscomb. And I think Mark Pohle he may be the best example. I mean I mentioned Pat Kelsey being somebody that's going to pay attention to these kind of things, as far as knowing you need to beat an opponent a certain amount by a certain amount of points in order for you to not fall in metrics numbers, all that kind of stuff, rankings. Throwing all these words out there because again, like technically, it's a formula that indicates it. But there's all kinds of different ones. There's bark Torvik, there's the Ken palm, which I reference all the time. But like Peck, I think both coaches Pat Kelsey and Mark Pope are the kind of coaches that would in fact not try to embarrass an opponent, but also understand like every possession actually matters, and hey, we're going to do everything we can to make sure that we are improving our situation as best we can. Night in a night out. But again, a lot of good college hoops on this evening. Some other things we'll get into. We're gonna get another update when it comes to the college football playoff rankings tonight, and I really haven't given a whole lot of time to looking into the projections out there as far as what people are expecting the committee to do tonight, but one thing I do know is that it is really going to be awesome over these next couple of weeks. Now, obviously it'd be even more awesome if your team was in the mix for something, rather it be a scenario where they could find themselves competing for their conference championship or maybe they're still alive in the playoff race, that would be better. But just as a college football observer and someone who loves college football, there's so many teams that are going to play each other that hey, it's this game is going to determine if your conference championship appearance or your playoff appearance lives are. I mean, it's going to determine if it's living another week or if it's dead. And the twelve team playoff race has actually, at least in my opinion, we haven't even actually got the event yet, right, We're still in the lead up process. But everything that's come with it I think has been beneficial for college football. But I'll go back to what I said last week, because there's more and more evidence that, like the committee, you can with twelve teams and nobody having divisions anymore in the power leagues. Somebody within the committee that I think it's Ward Manually at the athletic director for Michigan. He's the one who usually speaks on ESPN after they update these rankings. They need to just emphasize that a lot of it is based off of their opinion and their belief more so than any specific piece of data or any specific result. Because now you're gonna need to throw in some things that kind of got you where you're at, but you're also just gonna need to clarify that this is just what we believe, because.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's what it is.
Speaker 3: We all know that, and there's with twelve teams in the mix, and there're being so many teams with very similar records that both play in or you know, not just two teams, but there's all kinds of teams with similar records that play in power for conferences to where the committee is gonna have to pick which one they think is better, and there's really no way to do that other than you know, to know for sure, and so just tell us this is your opinion. People would still complain it would still be a flawed system to where there's gonna be some that don't get in that claim that they got screwed and all that. But you could get away with it a little bit better when it's just four. But at the twelve team spot, maybe it's this year where there being so much parody, not really knowing who in fact is the best team in college football. But I mean, it may be common to see them tonight try to answer questions about how they decided to do this and do that, and I'm looking forward to it also something we'll get to at some point that I want to let you guys here once again, this isn't even really about like Kentucky and Mitch Barnhart winning the breakup right now when it comes to the Calipari situation, but I think he's lost his mind. I know I said that a week ago, and maybe even a week before that, because he's just turned up, turned it up ten notches when it comes to him just saying things at a press conference, insulting people there covering Arkansas basketball, and I mean he's begging fans to come to their games. I mean he did that. We'll let you hear it. I mean he was saying, if you can't come, please give your tickets back to the school. We'll find a way to use them. So, you know, who knows, Maybe in a month we end up we end up looking at both of these two programs, Kentucky and Arkansas. Maybe Arkansaw's got a rolling and Kentucky's taking steps back. I doubt that's the case, but either way, like, who knows, it's still early. That is something we do know. But it just seems as if this is going to end up being a pretty a pretty not you know, I don't want to say it's going to be a disastrous stint for cal at Arkansas, but like the likelihood of him ever getting close to where he was when he was in his heyday at Kentucky. I just I don't think that's possible, But I don't know why. Maybe it's because now I'm more willing to see the amusement in it. But he's really doing the same thing in Arkansas that he was doing at Kentucky. But I think he's turned it up a little bit, maybe a lot, actually, But I find it hilarious this guy who covers Arkansas.
Speaker 2: He's doing these weekly.
Speaker 3: Montages of Caliperi's press conference with out of context things that he says, and it's hilarious to me. So I'll let you guys here too at some point today. So stick around if you want to join us again. Phone lines are open five O two five seven one seventy nine hundred at his Coffee and Company, and we our fuel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 3: If you want to join us on the show today, you can five oh two five seven one seventy nine hundred is the number if you want to give us a call. Text line five O two six five three zero seven ninety the Llenn Federal Credit Union text line members get more at Ellenn Federal Credit Union. You can learn the more and open your account today at LNFCU dot com. All right, Uh, not a surprise here. A couple of text kind of saying the same things. If you're scared of play in Bellerman, you got bigger problems than worrying about any formula. That was what somebody just sent in about ninety seconds ago. It's not about and I kind of don't want to take the bait here because then I also don't want to get into like, you know, like I like Bellerman, and I'm fine if they play Bellerman every year, But I also would understand if a coach decided not to just because of wanting to make sure that you are playing teams to where there's some level of a benefit when it comes to your resume, even if it is a little bitty benefit. I mean, clearly fans want to see their team play Bellerman, probably more so than they would want to see him play another random team that's ranked in the three hundred. So that's my that's my whole point. But it's not about being scared, and that's that's that is that's a strategy that that is. I don't know how effective it is, Like I don't know if that would like if Pat Kelsey was and I'm not saying he is, but if Pat Kelsey was the guy that was like, all right, I.
Speaker 2: Don't want to do it anymore. Yeah, we don't.
Speaker 3: We don't need to play him. It's just not worth it. But then Scott davinpor which this scenario would never play out, but humor me here or you scared? You scared scared Kelsey Like, then you know, maybe it would be effective. Like maybe he would be like, all right, well that that's the case, then bring it. Like, but let me give you another Let me give you an example of a school that that that doesn't do it publicly, but it's been a pretty well known thing. So Murray State obviously they've got some pretty good tradition when it comes to to to basketball, right, I mean, in fact, you know, Louisville Kentucky obviously are the two big programs here in the state. But Murray State has had some great seasons. They've got some great history. So does Western Kentucky for that matter. But Murray State, they they don't play Louisville or Kentucky in basketball, and they could. But the reason that they don't is because Murray State believes that Louisville and Kentucky and I don't even know how much they've tried to schedule Louisville, to be honest with you, but I know as far as Kentucky, Murray has not taken up the opportunities that e KU and Western have even have even had as far as you know, hey, we'll go play you, but we're not gonna We're not gonna get a return game Murray State has has. I'm trying to see if there's anything online. And by the way, again, phone on's open five x two, five seven, one seventy nine hundred. If you guys want to want to jump in here. We'll get to you guys in just a second. But well, I scramble here to try to find some kind of a write up and I can't find one, and it's not worth it. But Murray won't take a game against Kentucky. And as I say that, maybe they are on the schedule this year, but in previous years Murray expected to have a return game where Kentucky would go play them at Murray that's just not happening, Like, why would they do that, Like that would be that would be charity. And in fact, it's already a gift and a charity to essentially host you, to pay you to come in for what is called a by game, and you know, if you're competitive, you've got a chance to really boost your resume. But going to play them there would make one It would take away a home game where you could open up your gates and make money as far as ticket sales and that kind of stuff. So anytime there's been pushback, you know Murray State fans, you know, at least some of them. My wife went to Murray State though, so that that's why I'm a little more familiar with this than you might expect. But they'd be like, oh, why won't you come and play?
Speaker 2: Are you scared?
Speaker 3: That's no, we're looking out for ourselves, like we're we're not going to get into the weeds with you, and essentially, you know, punch down, And that's what I didn't want to do. I didn't want to make it come off as you're punching down when it comes to these kind of programs, but you really are, because you know, you don't need to play them. Them being able to play you is big for them. It's not like the biggest thing in the world. But like you know, those kind of programs need these kind of games, whereas power four power five type programs, they have the ability to be selective and play really who they want. So if you're just now joining us again, disclaimer, I'd be fine with Louisville and Beller been playing every year. And if you said, hey, it's up to you, Nick, what do you want to do? I don't think I would have the heart to say, Nope, not playing it anymore.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Scotty.
Speaker 3: But like if a if you know Pat Kelsey, Chris Mackick, Bettina, whoever, any coach that's going to coach here, if they just decided because of where, like where Bellerman is ranked, they just didn't see a benefit from it, then you know I would understand and I would say, yeah, I get that decision.
Speaker 2: That makes sense.
Speaker 3: This person says, Nick, don't you think there's a chance that maybe this is the outlier Bellman's really down this year, ZHO to four. Maybe potentially they'd end up being a much better team to where it would make sense. That's a good point. You know, I will say the conference and it's early right now, but if you go to kenpom dot com and look at how they have the conference is ranked. Bellerman is in the Atlantic Sun and there are let's see, they're thirty one Division one college basketball conferences out there, and the Atlantic Sun ranks twenty third at a thirty one. So currently Bellerman is sitting at in the Ken palm three hundred and thirty out of let's see how many are there now, three hundred and sixty. There was three hundred and sixty three I believe last year. Wouldn't shock me if there's even more now, because yeah, there's three unred and sixty four Division one teams. Belloman ranks three hundred and thirty ish, So that just makes it to where it'd be tough for you to benefit from beating them by fifty even. I mean, maybe that's the exaggeration. So and look, Louisville, do they have any other games like that? And we'll find out in the years to come. As far as what Pat Kelsey's strategy is going to be when it comes to non conference games really scheduling in general. I tried to ask him that when we had him on the show at the ACC basketball tip off. As far as this schedule, non conference, especially being so loaded, I mean, Louisville schedule from November fourth when they tipped off to January first, is insane. Now it does get much more manageable. They strull gonna play some good teams, and it's still tough to know just what we should expect from this Louisville team the rest of the way. But you know you've got You've already played Tennessee and we know that didn't go well. You're gonna go to next week. You're gonna go to the Battle for Atlantis and play some really good teams. Then you play Ole miss when you come back that Tuesday. Then you've got Duke that Sunday utep in the middle of the week, and then that Saturday you play Kentucky. Then you play Florida State December twenty first, and then you start the year January first taking on North Carolina at home. So that schedule itself is really not anything. I mean, Pat Kelsey, I don't know if he's I would imagine when it comes to the teams that got scheduled since he got hired, I would guess, I know Tennessee is on there, and that was that was something he did give us the you know, the details as far as how it all came together, and he was I don't know if he was encouraged, like if he needed to be like nudged to take the game, but it was Josh Hurd and assistant coach Brian Cloleman, who I guess we're kind of saying, hey, we should do this. And look, I hate that they lost by twenty two points, but I'm glad they did it because I would love to see every year Louisville play this kind of a non conference schedule. Now again, you got to be pretty good or you're going to be really hurting when you get to conference play, and that maybe a Louisville this year.
Speaker 1: We don't know.
Speaker 3: It's tough to say at this point, but I would rather see my team play legitimate opponents where you're going to feel like, Okay, there's something to really gain here by winning, and if you lose, it always sucks to lose, but maybe it doesn't really hurt much of your resume. And also when you're playing good teams, you're seeing kind of where you stand. Take the result out of it, but you get a chance to kind of just see how you stack up against other teams that are believed to be, you know, in your level or maybe better. Tennessee clearly was a lot better than Louisville when they played them. All Right, it's coffee and company. I feel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you guys hanging out with us. We'll get back to the text line coming up here in just a moment, but real quick. The Ken Palm projected score for this evening is eighty four to sixty three in favor of the Cards, and that, of course, would be a game that did not result in Louisville covering. As currently they are twenty eight and a half point favorites. I wouldn't touch this game at all, but you know, I know a lot of people love to bet on Louisville, and that way, if Louisville wins, they not only get the satisfaction of seeing their team win, but maybe they can make a little bit of money as well. But yeah, twenty let's see twenty one point victory. According to according to kin Pom, all right, something I want to get to coming up here on the other side, when it comes to the and I hate to know I should have probably plan this a little bit better to where we're not just talking about formulas and rankings as much. But if you want evidence that like ESPN's FPI should no longer be mentioned or referenced at all, there is a there's in fact, two teams that I think you can look at and they're current top twenty and you look at the record, you look at me. If you follow college football, you know, well you're well aware of like how their season is going and the fact that they're still ranked as high as they are. I mean, it should be the absolute proof that this whole thing is flawed beyond belief and they need to just scrap it. But I find it funny, like I would love to like present this to whoever put this together, whatever AI they used to put this formula together, and say, like, you can't justify this like the I mean, please tell me how this checks out. Also, don't forget coming up at four thirty, we'll talk to cl Brown of the Courier Journal. Looking forward to our weekly weekly chat with him.
Speaker 2: So keep it lock right here.
Speaker 3: We got a lot more to get into We'll get to you guys coming up here on the other side again. Phone lines five oh two, five to seven one seventy nine hundred and if you want to text in five oh two six five three zero seven ninety on the LNN Federal Credit Union text line. Keep it locked right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and company fueled my Thorntins on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: All right, so before we get into this this updated.
Speaker 3: Look at the twenty twenty four College Football Power Index, it's ESPN's rankings that they shove in our face all the time.
Speaker 2: Before we do that.
Speaker 3: I'm distracted here because I'm seeing an ad and it's clearly because you know, I'm I let my kids use well, my wife she made the mistake early on when we when our kids were young, to like they could use her phone if they wanted to, you know, watch videos or something, or just if they're if they're bored and we're out doing something and they want to entertain themselves.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: They now they have their own tablets throwing devices, but those don't actually have service, so typically we have to connect our hotspot to it. But my wife, she made the mistake early on of like letting it be a thing to where they know they could get it. I've never given my phone to them like regularly, so they don't usually ask for mine. But occasionally, you know, I'll use my phone to show them something. And I'm so jealous of kids this day and age who can benefit from AI when it comes to Christmas. So this is not the app that I use. In fact, I'll give them a free plug here. I probably shouldn't do that. I mean, I don't think they need me. But there is an app out there that we've used for a while the last two Christmases. I believe that lets you get like a customized video call from from Sanna. And I'm sure AI is used to make it, but like it's awesome. So like I can send them a little and it costs a little bit of money and it's well worth it if like your kids are really into Christmas. I've got an eight year old daughter and a four year old son, and it may I mean that Christmas is now back to like I was a kid as far as how much I enjoy it because my kids are now old enough to really understand it. There's so they're so into it to where it's it's a lot of fun. I feel like I'm a little kid again on Christmas. But P and P Santa is the app I use, and again free plug form because it works great. You can put into like a little custom message. You can't get like too detailed, but there's little things throughout, like a minute long video that will mention their name specifically or mention where they're from to where I mean, it's just it's awesome for kids. And uh we have calls with Santa every now and then and it's and it's great. But probably because I use that app when I go and you know, and I pop up in anything rather it be the internet, a browser or any of the apps on social media Instagram, Facebook, whatever. I'm now getting a an ad for an AI powered company called Santa Phone Calls dot com and it looks like it's very similar to what to what I've already been using. And like, if I was a kid and we got the call Sana, are you kidding me? Like I would it would be the best thing ever, Like I wouldn't sleep for until Chris this morning, or you know, I guess I wouldn't sleep them. But I wouldn't sleep till Christmas was over. I'd be so excited if I got to talk to Santa. So I'm jealous, And it looks so awesome. Like my kids at times they want to call my parents, uh, or my my wife's parents, you know, their grandparents or their aunts and uncles, and you know, they know what FaceTime is, so like they know what it looks like when somebody's on FaceTime, when you're calling somebody, when they're calling you, or whenever you know you're on the phone having a FaceTime call. So like they see that and it's almost the same thing that they see when they see family. But they see it with Sanna, who's you know, it's at the North Pole, or he's in his he's in his he's in his uh, he's with missus claws walking around.
Speaker 2: It's just it's it's super cool. But that's a really good.
Speaker 3: Idea to utilize AI to you could mean, not not that I would encourage them to do it, but like that's one of those things that parents would probably pay more than they need to for that because they know how happy it would make their kids. So if you've still got young kids that are into Christmas, you know, check out, and I'm telling myself to really, you know, get into the Christmas spirit. And I know, trust me, I'm well aware Thanksgiving hasn't happened yet, but it'll be here next week. Like it's it's crazy how quickly the I mean, it's crazy how time goes in general. I mean, how is twenty twenty four almost over? I mean it's crazy to me how quickly everything goes by. But I know I'll be really sad, like when my kids get older and they're not as into Christmas and Santa Claus. So I'm gonna take advantage of it while i can. All right, real quick, back to this this updated ESPN College Football Power Index. So currently in the top fifteen, at number fifteen, you have a team in the Big ten that does not have a winning record. In fact, I believe they just became. Yeah, they just got a win that made them five hundred on the year. They are five and five in their league, they're three and and Yet the ESPN FPI says this team is the fifteenth best team in college football. And if you're looking at it, then you know exactly what I'm talking about. But I'm curious if you have like a guess, and you know, we're not going to open up the line, so you guys can guess. But I'm just like just humor me right now, Like think about who it could be, because it's a big brand, but it's not a team that anybody's been mentioning like they are in control of their own destiny. And well, you know, like this is a team that right now is three and five in their own league, a league that I feel like is insanely top heavy, and that's the big ten.
Speaker 2: This team is USC.
Speaker 3: The conversation at USC, more so nationally, has not been about them doing something special this year. It's been about Lincoln Riley being paid that much money to leave Oklahoma and how if USC does want to get rid of him, the amount of money it would cost is astronomical. Now, he's going to get another year for sure, but after that, I don't know, but maybe he does last a long time because it seems like coaches argue to be able to ride out another year or two, whereas in the previous I think, and I don't know of this for certain, but I feel like one of the reasons why you're seeing guys like Sam Pittman get another year. That hasn't been made official yet, I don't think, but there are a lot of folks who cover Arkansas that say he's going to get at least one more year. Obviously, billiy Napier is going to get another year, and that looks a little better now that they were able to knock off LSU over the weekend. But I think some coaches are going to get another year because financially, I think they can project what they're going to have to start paying these athletes, right twenty two million dollars annually. That's going to be dispersed among all your student athletes. But they don't really know what that looks like. And I don't think you know what kind of a hit that takes on you financially until like you're going through it. So I think it's going to give a lot of coaches another year to potentially salvage their situation, whereas previously they probably would have been fired. But yes, espns FPI has USC a three to five Big Ten team, a five and five team overall, with four of their last six games being losses. Their best went on the year looks like it's against I guess LSU, which that continues to look even worse as the season rolls along. I mean that alone should be proof that you're not factoring and winning and losing enough. And if this team could be three and five in their league, five and five overall, then you need to go back and retool whatever formula you're using. You need to rely you need to rely on AI a little bit better, maybe rely on the same AI model that made that you know, Santa Claus video thing I was talking about, because that's awesome, all right, Hopefully we have a couple of awesome hours the rest of the way. Stick around one hour down, we got two more to go, and we'll keep it rolling along. Don't forget cl Brown at this Courier Journal is going to join us, coming up here around four point thirty, So stick around right here on Sports Talk seven ninety