Speaker 1: You're listening to k I AM six forty the bill Handles show on demand on the iHeartRadio Frey AM six forty bill Handle. Here. It is a Friday, a foody Friday, and it is Solstice Day. Summer starts tonight, and it is the longest day of the year. And what's the weather going to be today? Amy, now that we're into summer officially as of tonight, she wasn't ready for me to ask that question. I'm ready now, Okay, what's the weather going to be like, Sonny, Okay, summertime. It's sunny. How unusual? Boy, there's Los Angeles for you, Southern California. All right, it's time for Foody Friday with Neil Savedra, host of The FOURK Report, tomorrow from two to five pm. And I must tell you, Neil, has been a very rough week for me. It has been a full week since I have gone to Costco. I am going today or my fix, because I go at least twice a week. That's my therapy, as you know. And I'm going today.
Speaker 2: And there is a new Costco Mac and Cheese.
Speaker 1: And although I eat Costco Mac and Cheese and I like it a lot, So tell me how it is better than.
Speaker 3: Well, it's like a combination of three comfort foods in one and people are saying, this is going to be the perfect side dish for your summer barbecues.
Speaker 4: So I thought it'd be great today.
Speaker 3: So, you know, there's a lot of things that you think about when you think about a side for barbecues. Whether it's baked beans which I love, corn bread which I love. Mac and cheese is just one of those things that rich, creamy cheesy macaroni is great. Well, Costco has their new barbecue chicken mac and cheese with bacon plaid out.
Speaker 4: How about that?
Speaker 1: So okay? Is it next to the regular mac and cheese in the refrigerated section because I always buy that. An hour in the oven, some breadcrumbs you put on top, a little bit of grilling on top, a little bit of what do you call it broiling, and man, you've got the best side dish going. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So this is easily found.
Speaker 3: It's the new Kirkland barbecue chicken mac and cheese with bacon. And this was found discovered by a shopper just going you know, there's a shopper who goes online by the name of Discovering Costco spotted this new heat and serve and eat meal and it's the same you find in the same areas where it's chilled, and then you take it home and you.
Speaker 4: Oh, sounds great, prepare it right there?
Speaker 1: Go ahead.
Speaker 4: I wanted to let you know. I figured you'd go to it.
Speaker 3: But the fact that it's got a barbecue chicken in it and then bacon and the mac and cheese, it really is going to be super hard. And I'm looking forward to putting it on the list as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going for it. That's today. Okay, moving on.
Speaker 1: Because I want to cover a couple more topics, and that is you go to Walmart. You buy chicken at Walmart, you are going to die.
Speaker 3: Explain that please, Well, I don't know about you're going to die right away. But the USDA announced that they're recalling and ready to eat products sold at Walmart. Walmart linked to deadly lasteria outbreak, and this happens to be there ready to eat chicken el fredo, So as far as identifying it, this chicken al fredo were sold at Kroger Walmart stores nationwide produced prior to June seventeenth this year, and to determine if you have this particular recalled ready to eat product, you got to look for a couple of things. Thirty two point eight ounce tray packages, you know, market size, their arge sized grilled chicken alfredo with fetacini, tender pasta with creamy alfredo sauce, white meat chicken, shaved parmesan cheese with a best by date of before June twenty seventh.
Speaker 4: So that's one.
Speaker 3: And then there's a twelve point three ounce tray, a twelve point five ounce tray, and you just you really just want to take it back to where you got it, get it replaced, or get a refund.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Another way of Yeah, another way of knowing you've got in the wrong chicken is you are heating your guts out and having exposive diarrhea simultaneously. Then you know it is part of that recall. Is that fair to say?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's like testing if you've got a gas leak with a butane torch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which also works.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it'll let you know where the leak is and maybe cause a few more.
Speaker 4: So I would say probably not the best way to do it.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, Let's go ahead and give ourselves take break and we'll return. Got some hot dog news and here's a weird one, Paul McCartney's favorite three ingredient snack. I can't wait for that. I don't know where he came up with that one, Neil, but we'll go through that. Can't fine handle here on a Friday morning, June twenty, Solstice day, longest day of the year. And before we go to ask handle anything, at the bottom of the hour, which is I love the eight o'clock hour with on Fridays.
Speaker 2: Because the end of the week and it's just fun.
Speaker 1: So this segment we're the two segments we do in eight o'clock is a footy Friday with Neil Savadra, host of The Fork Report, and that is tomorrow from two to five pm and you can reach them at Fork Reporter and Neil. We have some events coming up too, which we'll talk about later, some broadcasts that we're going to do together and ball some serious thanks.
Speaker 4: Grilling is going to be back again this year.
Speaker 3: You and I will be out in Orange County in November drilling and hanging out well with the Wild.
Speaker 4: Fork again this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's gonna be a lot of fun, all right. Now, you put this one in. I don't know why all of a sudden it's become news. Maybe you just picked that up someplace. But Paul McCartney's favorite three ingredient snack.
Speaker 3: Well one, I know you love the Beatles, I do, and too, you know, I go back to this all the time. I've talked with chefs on the fork Port many times about their inspirations, and the fact.
Speaker 4: Is we all have very.
Speaker 3: Simple things that we go back to, you know, smells of our grandparents' house or certain things that just bring us to an emotional or comforting place in our lives. And to think of Sir Paul McCartney having a three ingredient snack that is horrible for you but still takes him back in something he still eats today, I thought was very charming. So his three ingredients snack is very simple. He calls it a sugar buddy or sugar buddies b U T T I E S. And they it's been made since he was a kid, and all it is is bread butter and then put granulated sugar on top of it.
Speaker 4: And that's his basic snack.
Speaker 3: Okay, very simple, but it's something you know, how old is he now?
Speaker 4: And he's still this is something.
Speaker 1: He has to be late seventies, maybe older than that. Yeah. So yeah, and he's a vegan and he's in great shape, although he has an age very well, I mean, you know, he's yeah.
Speaker 4: What do you mean a lot. He looks great. You know.
Speaker 3: I saw him some years ago at Coachella and he did like a four hour set.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know he did.
Speaker 5: I did.
Speaker 1: We were there, yeah, together at Old Cella is what it was called at that point. They'll never be that again. Hey, here's a little factory that you may not know. And it just occurred to me. Do you remember the actor Danny k Of course, I love very very famous actor. Did you know that he was a world class Chinese cook China that he did Chinese food to the point, seriously, to the point where in his house he had a full blown Chinese kitchen with the big walks that you see in Chinese restaurants. And one of the greatest things and one of the greatest invites in the world, was to go to Danny Kay's house where he would serve up Chinese food and he wouldn't eat. All he did was cook, uh And it was that that is seriously cool and not just one school of Chinese cooking. I think he did Mandarin and Zechuan. I mean he knew his stuff. Oh, I got to look that up. That's a that's a good pull. Yeah that is I love his stuff. I thought that hilarious a lot. Okay, so okay, here's why.
Speaker 3: This made me think about something though. You know, when I was a kid and maybe try this. We used to do this, and I think this came from my mother. You get a pancake and you slather it in butter, and then you pour granulated sugar on it. You fold it like a taco and eat it. That was terrific.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is great. Crapes, My favorite crape is granulated sugar.
Speaker 2: If I'm talking about a sweet crape.
Speaker 4: Oh, you just.
Speaker 1: Put it, that's basically that's yeah. I just probaly they put it up there, and I guess they put some kind of butter or oil on or whatever and just put granulated sugar and it is just spectacular. All right now, the best hot dog buns. And we are going to be cooking I'm talking about collectively. It's summertime. We're going to be grilling a lot of us are hot dogs are easy, you throw them on the grill, and then very few people think about hot dog buns. They're sort of a you know, a side thought. But they shouldn't be. I mean that's important.
Speaker 3: Too, absolutely, and this was interesting on all recipes dot com uh did a great article where they asked a handful of chefs what their favorite hot dog bun is now personally and although I've tried these that we'll talk about personally, I like just a nice soft white like Parker house Roll style, just very simple and kind of a little bit Dowie on there.
Speaker 1: But they with like the women you like, basically dowie soft. Yeah, well actually.
Speaker 2: All right, moving on, moving on, Actually yeah, moving on.
Speaker 4: Hurried a white girl too, but we broke up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, moving on.
Speaker 3: So hot dog buns hot dog buds Brioche style buds now boch is uh is similar to hullabread, except.
Speaker 2: Not without but without the sweetness, right, yes.
Speaker 3: So it's a very aggy, is very aggy, fatty, salty, wonderful kind of a dough and Saint Pierre Brio shot dog buns is one of the best. If you're going to get it, that's that's your jam. And it's a delicious way. It adds a little bit of fattiness and it's a little more dense than your traditional hot dog bun.
Speaker 4: But that came up as a as a leader.
Speaker 3: And the second one was a potato bun, and Martin's potato roles are known.
Speaker 4: All over the place.
Speaker 3: Shakeshack uses Martin Potato buns and the like. They're fantastic as well. I still lean personally towards the white, very American, soft, airy hot dog bun, but these are great options.
Speaker 2: Do you remember a hot dog bun?
Speaker 1: And I don't know which company, but it was a bun that sort of had a valley, if you will, in the middle of it you could place the hot dog. You have sort of like a little nook that you put the hot dog in and it didn't break.
Speaker 4: Apart hot dog like for like a lobster roll style.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, no you uh the one that was curved, yeah, curved, and then they had and then it was a place right down the middle for the hot dog, which made Yeah, but I don't know why that rod around because a hot dog buns they fall apart.
Speaker 3: Well, they do have a hinge, which is interesting, which is why you put the toppings on top of the dog and not on the bun like you do a hamber.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they still fall apart.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, because the hinge is this tiny little piece and it's yeah, you.
Speaker 1: Go back to those. That hot dog bun was brilliant, I mean, and then it disappeared.
Speaker 4: Well they were kind of dense.
Speaker 2: No, but you nestle the hot dog right in there and take that.
Speaker 1: Not gonna take that sexually, but you you nestle your hot dog right in there. And it was absolutely.
Speaker 3: Perfect, like clicking up, you know, a sword in that a little toy sword in the hand of a lego vinature like just fit in there.
Speaker 4: And then it was engineer like, mechanically engineered.
Speaker 1: It was great. It was great.
Speaker 2: I wonder, I don't understand why they're not around.
Speaker 1: All right, we're done, guys, Yeah you do, and look up Danny k to see if I'm right on that, because I think I am.
Speaker 3: It's been a few lock like putting this hot dog in a hot dog one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been a million years since I thought about that.
Speaker 1: I just know why. It came back to me. Okay, coming up, ask handle anything, which we do Friday at eight thirty This is KFI.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: KFI AM six forty Bill Handle Here. It is Friday eight thirty segment last two segments of the show on a Friday, which means it is time for ask Handle anything. We started this a couple of months ago, and it's all about me answering your questions, because well, I get questions, you know, or you guys get questions you on the show what's Handle like? And you always answer the same way, right, He's a dick. But some people, you know, are interested, because we're all interested in everybody else. I mean, I can't tell you how many times I go out, Hey, what's Neil like? What's John like? What's Tim like? What Gary Shannon like?
Speaker 2: So this is why we did it. Okay, So Neil you choose.
Speaker 1: And we and I hear him for the first time. Sam you have the first one. Yep. Okay, there you go.
Speaker 4: I got a question for Bill. I know you like to travel and you have a preference for Italy like you did for your wedding.
Speaker 6: What are some other worldwide destinations that you really enjoy?
Speaker 1: You know, I have always spent all of my disposable income on travel. So I can't even begin to tell you. I mean Antarctica. I really enjoyed having penguins crap on my feet. I've yeah, the Amazon. It's just all over. So there really isn't anything specific, and it's not me. It's not my preference for Italy. It's Lindsay's what.
Speaker 4: We got to do Morocco together.
Speaker 1: Morocco we did, and we did Brazil together. Yes, yes, yes, all right, Next question.
Speaker 5: Hey, Bill, question for you this week. I understand it in college you were a delink with and enjoy the underground world of fun and drugs and stuff. But how about high school? Did you participate in the arts or marching question?
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, the underground in college was drugs. It wasn't about. It wasn't sex because I couldn't get late. High school also couldn't get late. But yes did marriajuana, which we called grass. I was in band and I played the baritone horn baritone horn, but so badly that and this is true that the band director would not let me play. I just marched around to fill a spot. Although a baritone horn. If you notice the mouthpiece, you take that mouthpiece it is the perfect bong. I mean, you put a little screen. It is, you put a little you know, a little bit of pot in there, and it is you put a tube down the you know, where it connects to the horn itself.
Speaker 2: It doesn't get better than that. It is magic.
Speaker 1: Oh and there was, by the way, we all got stoned, the entire band and it was just delightful.
Speaker 2: So yes, the arts of drugs. I did my fair share.
Speaker 1: I was the only one in a time of free love that I couldn't get free. I couldn't get love if I paid for it. How about that? What does that tell you? Okay, next question.
Speaker 7: And Bill, this is George north Rich. My question to you is this, what happens to all a rubber that's you know, wasted or I don't know what happens to it on the roads because obviously our tires wear down.
Speaker 4: What happens to all that rubber?
Speaker 1: I mean, does it just disappear dissipate?
Speaker 7: Because I know how much you talk about microplastics, how about that micro rubber?
Speaker 1: Wow, micro rubber, it's a jewish there, It's it's definitely a jewish thing. What the hell? How the hell do I know what happens to the rubber on the road. It's when the rubber meets the road. I guess you do an introduction rubber meet the road, road, This is rubber. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I just thought you'd know a lot about micro rubbers, so.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, I do know a lot about micro rubbers, but I don't know.
Speaker 4: Okay, he asked you.
Speaker 1: I don't either. I don't. I don't get it. You know, that's just and I don't talk about micro plastics very much. I do it during the course of a commercial when I do life source, you know. And as matter of fact, I didn't even know there were micro plastics in the drinking water until I, you know, started looking at it and they told me about it. Okay, next question.
Speaker 8: Please tell me I'm not waking up to Bill handle eulogizing Nilsamdraa and then I'm waking up to my favorite reporter, producer of Jesus Christ Show, and handles other half lately is passed. What the f.
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 4: I clarified necessarily.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got a couple of calls. Explain that one would you kneel?
Speaker 3: So Bill's doing a story about someone using uh chat GPT and a I to write a eulogy for their mother who passed away. So and producer and wrote to using chet GI one of Bill that he didn't see that I read in one of me that that I didn't see that he read. But I was quiet during mine. You weren't during yours, so people knew that you were still alive. I was quiet, and I guess a number of people.
Speaker 1: Thought you thought you were dead. Yeah, because it was a straight out eulogy. And it's a thing because people have to write eulogies for their loved ones, you know, higher eulogy writer, and now they're using AI and it's kind of It was a lot of fun.
Speaker 4: I was touch.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: We got a couple of comments about how fun it was, and somebody hit me up on social media too.
Speaker 4: It was yeah, it was fascinating. Quite No it is.
Speaker 1: Oh it was terrific.
Speaker 2: Oh bits are hagiographies.
Speaker 1: I mean, no one says the guy was arrested four times and he was convicted and he was a horrible human being. None of that. That never happens. All right, let's go ahead and take our last break, come back and we'll finish.
Speaker 2: Ask candle anything on.
Speaker 1: Ka Kayfi handle here on a foody Friday, Ask candle anything. Friday, June twentieth, the longest day of the year, Solstice tonight and summer officially starts. And a quick reminder if you happen to be free. Saturday night, June twenty eighth, eight o'clock at the Walt Disney Concert Hall, there is a concert by the La Lawyers Philharmonic and Legal Voices that I MC every year and it's about lawyers and judges, etc. In this orchestra and it's great fun. So if you're interested in joining, and I'm in a Texedo, and of course I make an ass out of my cell so go to La lawyersphil dot org La Lawyers phill Is in Philharmonic La Lawyers phil dot org. It's a benefit. It helps people can't afford legal services, which is everybody on the planet. Tickets start at twenty bucks, so it's pretty reasonably christ Now back we go and we finish. Ask handle Anything on a Friday, and this is where people record questions. Neil then chooses the questions and I hear them for the first time right here and answer them right here. All right, let's do it.
Speaker 2: Sam, next question, Hey, guys, good morning.
Speaker 1: Listen the opits for great.
Speaker 6: Now you should ask AI to produce a negative obituary for you guys and see what it comes up with.
Speaker 4: That might be fun.
Speaker 1: Oh I wonder if we can do that. That's actually a great idea.
Speaker 4: Isn't it. Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly so. And that's terrific negative obits. Half AI do that because we put in the regular obits and it was and obits are as I said, complete hagiographies I mean, which means that they it's one of those things where everything wonderful is said about someone. No one says anything negative during an o bit. I would, but that's that's me Dan. Let's make that. Let's make that happen. I agree, that's a great idea.
Speaker 4: I will not do puffrey when I give your O bit.
Speaker 1: Oh no, yeah, I absolutely, there's no Yeah, there's no puffery there. Okay, great, great idea. So we're gonna put that one together next time we do. And if you haven't listened to the obits that we did, was that yesterday or the day before? I don't remember.
Speaker 4: Yesterday?
Speaker 1: Yesterday?
Speaker 2: And it was in the what hour was it the seven thirty?
Speaker 1: Was it yesterday? It was the day and it was the day before seven thirty segment just go on demand because it was two obituaries.
Speaker 2: Done by Ai on Neil and on me.
Speaker 1: And they were mock because if you actually look, as Ann said, doing obituaries, they go Neil still alive, Handle still alive. So these were quote mock obituaries. All right, moving on sam Hi.
Speaker 6: Bill, I know you have been to Israel. Two questions, do they have good bagels there and do they call them real Jew bagels?
Speaker 1: The answer is they do not have good bagels there, and they don't call them real Jew bagels at all because they just don't have good bagels. It's just that's very much. It came in from Germany at that part of the world where bagels came from. So they're just rotten bagels. They don't do bagels. It's like Chinese food.
Speaker 4: What they don't do like Zionist bread.
Speaker 1: Or no, no, they don't know, they don't do that. But that's a good question. No bagel. You don't go to Israel for bagels.
Speaker 4: Next question, Hey, good morning, Bill.
Speaker 9: You've been an ally of the gay community. Actually before it was trendy. Was there a moment or an experience you had that made you into an ally. Well, I suggest for Mondays. You can't seem to figure out the names, but can we just call it mikdo Monday.
Speaker 3: Oh that's very good, that's not bad.
Speaker 1: Uh. And the moment that I accepted the gay community. I don't want to share that moment with you because that's a very private moment. But uh, let's just say I I met someone who told me about the gay community. No, I've always been that way.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 2: And I don't know what because I you know, I don't judge anybody. I mean I don't. I mean I do, but I don't care.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can do whatever the hell you want, just as long as you're not telling me what to do. You know, if you're next door. I love people that say somehow society is going to be ruined by the guys next door getting married. Oh stop it.
Speaker 4: But there's more.
Speaker 3: Than just you being accepting of people. You actually created.
Speaker 1: A law I did.
Speaker 4: I helped, Yes, and a lot of people don't know that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And just to let you know, when I started surrogate parenting in early days, my first surg contract was nineteen eighty gay men, because women do our official semination, and I have you know, kids via just artificial semination, but gay men need a surrogate to do that. And this was a time when to be gay was really tough.
Speaker 2: I mean you had to literally live under the radar.
Speaker 1: So the oldest kid, my first kid, just celebrated his fortieth birthday that I helped the gay couple create a child. Very proud of that, actually, very proud.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 1: I was pushing for a gay marriage forever because again, I mean, do you they really care? Oh, life is going to be ruined if you two get married. Yeah? Really? Come on?
Speaker 2: Okay, one more and then we'll bail.
Speaker 1: No, forget it. Nope, nope, nope, nope, we don't.
Speaker 2: Have time, so we'll save it for next week.
Speaker 1: Saturday Morning is tomorrow morning, as you know, eight to eleven o'clock, Handle on the.
Speaker 2: Law, following Dean Show, Home with.
Speaker 1: Dean, and then we have Rich Demorrow with the Tech Show, and then Neil with Foody Saturday Fork Spoon Report, Yeah, Fork record, I knew that, and then we're back again the radio crowd. I think Kno's coming back. Sam, thank you for being here. You did a yeah, okay job, my goosh fairly fairly marginal and Monday morning, it starts with Amy and Will five o'clock with wake up Call, Neil and I come aboard, and of course Cono and and who take care of the rest of the show. Coming up, Gary and Shannon, This is KFI A M six.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 1: Catch my Show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.