Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So, since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday, we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property, And for this week of August fourth, we are continuing with Loss Season three, episode ten, Trisha Tanaka is Dead, a episode that, despite its kind of morbid title, is a whole lot more fun than last week's Yes we don't even have Jack is not even in it at all. They barely remember that he used to be a friend of theirs. Only Kate, only Kate cares that he's not there.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: So meanwhile, we're doing.
Speaker 2: We're doing fine. Probably don't either.
Speaker 1: His tattoos grouped me out, honestly, they say. But this episode centers on Hurley and more we see more of his bad luck, including a chicken restaurant he has purchased being destroyed by a meteor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it looked like just sort of an alien space.
Speaker 1: A flying fiery object from space which blows up the chicken restaurant and also the titular u Tricia Tanaka, who was a reporter doing a story on his incredibly good luck.
Speaker 2: Right, and it was the chicken place that he.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, it was. Yeah, And uh, I'm sure it was a shock to you, Catherine, And I'm sure it'll be a shock to our listeners who are following along that Herly has daddy issues. Who wouldn't just, oh my goodness, was that a criteria for being on that plane. It's like, we would like a plane little load of people with daddy issues, police, and we'll crash them on an island together. Okay, I mean they guys have other storylines, right.
Speaker 2: I feel like it is a classic. You know, someone wins wins the lottery, Yes, relatives in ques exactly. Yes, So Buturley was not an immuneto that to that be following him.
Speaker 1: I guess right, but uh I Cheach Maren coming in there for a little cameo as Hurley's dad when he was a kid, and then Hurley's dad later on. Hurley has changed quite a bit in the interim, Cheach, not so much, but uh.
Speaker 2: Not so much. We'll give him a little gray hair, or more likely, will darken his hair for the for the flash.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but get a little bit about Hurley working on cars when he's a kid, so that later on he can resurrect a VW bus that has been unused for a very long time, a very long time sitting crashed in the jungle, and then Hurley brings it back fully. Oh gosh, I don't know what's what's stretches credulity more that they could get that bus started again, or that anyone could drink that beer and not immediately die of batulism or whatever you got. Well, I mean, I guess they are pretty desperate for booze. But still, how long has that been sitting there in the.
Speaker 2: Roger?
Speaker 1: Yes, Roger, Yeah, he was a workman. But we will we will, it will not surprise, you get back to Roger at some point.
Speaker 2: But no, the ridiculous the opening, the opening of that episode. You know, just what got us started down this path.
Speaker 1: Was Vincent.
Speaker 2: Trotting out of the jungle with a human arm in his mouth.
Speaker 1: At least he didn't drop it to play fetch. You know, he uh just just said, mind guys, there's more over here. That's something for you, Vincent. I don't care. I won't nit pick Vincent. It's always good to see Vincent. Yeah, just the acknowledgment that there's a dog wandering around having living his best life.
Speaker 2: Right, having his own adventures that we rarely find.
Speaker 1: I still say, there's there's a whole missed opportunity not to have a side series of Vincent and his adventures, because I bet he's I bet he's seeing and doing incredible things out there in the weird Island. What is he thinking about all of this?
Speaker 2: Right? Great question?
Speaker 1: Is he having visions of the future? Is he? Uh? Does he have tattoos? Maybe a micro.
Speaker 2: Jow mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: Well, anyway, so the parenting wise, I think we just need to drop in as a parenting tip if you personally listening to this are a daddy, don't do things to make your kid have issues. Seriously, every damn person on this island. It can't be that common, is it.
Speaker 2: They're all being tortured in their own unique way, and it's all your It's all your fall dad.
Speaker 1: What the heck? Don't leave your kid and not come back promising trips to the Grand Canyon. Don't forget to tell him how to fly a kite. Don't get yourself shot, don't shoot your wife and yourself. Don't steal your kid's kidney. It's not that hard.
Speaker 2: It really doesn't seem like it should be that hard.
Speaker 1: Oh man, it's daddy Isshie Island. So what else have imported? Did anything?
Speaker 2: I know it really did anything.
Speaker 1: It was mostly just and honestly, I'll take it, just the joy of seeing herly get a win. And these guys, Charlie knows he's gonna die imminently, Sawyer's just been having a time. Jin is completely confused, and all of them just get to have themselves a dang joy ride. You know, sometimes you just need a joy ride.
Speaker 2: Was like a Buddy comedy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and to this ridiculous, glorious I will take it. And you know what that is maybe a parenting tip in itself. Sometimes you just need a joy ride. You know what your problems are bearing down on you. It's it's hard to see any light of hope. Sometimes you just need to drive around in a resurrected car and just not care for fifteen minutes. Maybe things will be better after, maybe they won't, but at least for that fifteen minutes. Yeah, yourself a good time, right, I think parents.
Speaker 2: There are occasions where putting a kid in.
Speaker 1: A car and yes, striving, yes, can really help you know.
Speaker 2: I mean sometimes when they're baby, right, it can help them sleep, you know, just kind of a change of scene. Right, or like you said, even if you're not going anywhere, but just enjoying the ride. Yeah, you know, listen to music or yes, you can have really good conversations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Listen to books. So yeah, get yourself an old timey Volkswagen mini bus and just get out there.
Speaker 1: Get out there, just go for a ride. It doesn't matter where, it doesn't have to be to a place, just the soothing sound of tires on pavement and the mild vibration and just the feeling like, okay, this is something I can do I can just I can drive. It's I can point the car someplace, I can put my foot on the pedal. Everything else seems out of control. So yeah, yeah, have yourself enjoyed it. I bet was he was in there at some point. I'm pretty sure he was in the car at some point, yes, or in the van at at some point. But I I mean, I don't think he was like having the full dog experience of having his head out the window and letting the wind flap his ears. But he was just happy to be rolling. He's happy to be with the guys. That's right, see any humans at all, right, just just a delightful moment when he comes running out of the jungle looking so happy with with an arm. Hi, guys, let's play look what I come on, come on, there's more body parts. Come on.
Speaker 2: We could probably discuss this later in the week. But I have video footage of one of my dogs discovering something in the wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, dogs, you gotta love them.
Speaker 2: I'll get excited about that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my dog was very disappointed with me when I wasn't excited to watch her and kill a groundhog or baby bunnies. It's like, look what that I can do? Yeah, stop screening, Willy, what's your problem? I have a rancid beer. We appreciate Sawyer teaching chin, but what is it the uh oh yeah, the three things a woman needs to hear. I'm sorry I was wrong. And those pants don't make you look fat? Right, I'm got a thrown I love you in there somewhere. But other than that, it's you know, it's.
Speaker 3: It's not bad still, And how did Sawyer come upon all this wisdom that he doesn't seem to be used in the room.
Speaker 1: No, No, the rest of his life he could use some lessons of his own.
Speaker 2: I have never heard him tell Kate that those.
Speaker 1: Pants don't make well, that's because Kate weighs about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no matter what pants she's she's going to look slender.
Speaker 1: But he has a dating history, you know, He's learned things, yes, And so this is a Sun is just going to teach Gin English by only speaking English to him. They don't have somewhere in the like well, Sawyer's story doesn't have a stash anymore, which he's come back to notice angrily. But he didn't have like a English Korean dictionary in there. Someplace. Yeah, they find things all the time. We'll go into one of the hatches and they'll be one. It'll be fine. So there's a duo lingo thing somewhere on the island, they'll find it behind a bush.
Speaker 2: But yeah, what was the.
Speaker 1: The old timey went Berlitz. Yes, that's what would be there. Probably the Dorma Initiative had had to train people from other countries, and so they would have had like a whole library of tapes. For sure. We just need to wave a wand and have him able to speak englisha.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, which is basically what they do.
Speaker 1: We got a couple another couple of weeks with Nicky and Poulo. Maybe they have some experience teaching languages, because they I do not appreciate them giving herly attitude. No, no, yeah, stop that mm hmmm. That's not nobody nobody messes with herly stop. That's right, but especially not you newcomers, people who we don't know and will not know for long. But uh, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Think what else happened, But all I cared about was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was just fun and relaxing, you know. It was a just was a nice, funny and fun episode. Even though, you know, bad things did happen to Herley, but just beforehand, and it's nice seeing him have a.
Speaker 2: Win, and bad things happened to Tricia.
Speaker 1: To Yeah, she seemed a little full of herself. Yeah, she thought she was so smart going in the restaurant to film ha. Yeah. But poor Hurley, nobody will believe him that he's cursed. Yeah, and maybe a parenting tip is that you can't jolly your child out of existential dread. Although I mean his father couldn't do it when he was certain he was cursed. Tried to find ways to get him to just drop it. But I don't know. Hurley kind of shook Charlie out of it for a short while anyway, right, and even sort of himself, Yes, exactly, curly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he left his troubles behind for a brief time while he was behind the whom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we know Charlie not going to die because Desmond's nowhere around. Desmond would have been chasing the bus if this was the time. He's Charlie dying, So yep, yep. So even though it looks like they're just about to drive a bus off a cliff, it's it'll be fine. It'll be fine. It'll start, Sure, it'll start.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's been on its side in the jungle in the elements for who knows how long.
Speaker 1: And it has gas some of that beer and it might run on that. Oh my gosh, that beer. I just I just all right. This is the biggest suspension of belief in the entire episode. It's that that beer would not immediately kill you or explode when you opened the can.
Speaker 2: True, yes, and think of how I think it's a jungle like it would have gotten so hot.
Speaker 1: Oh oh well, I guess they figured the alcohol kills everything. But it is just Peter anyway. Fun episode, Yeah, lots of fun. Yes, in advance much plot. No, it did not until the very very end where Kate is insisting on going back to get Jack. Really really, I think you guys can have funner times without him. But and she goes looking for Danielle and informs her that there's a girl there who's probably her daughter, which I thought they had done before. I thought, well, n Claire, because Alex kind of rescued Claire too, and I thought Claire sort of suggested to her that.
Speaker 2: Well, and didn't Danielle like take them there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, she seemed real surprised at the possibility that her daughter could be there, But I feel like she had had at least strong hints of it before. Yeah, and if she's like surveilling them all the time, would she not have noticed, Hey, there's this girl who kind of looks like you. It's about the right age. But I don't know, Okay, she's maybe she's been drinking rantid beer someplace and her memory is not too sure. Confused, She'll just follow along. But yeah, I gotta get back to them, gotta get back to the drama. To that. There's not some highways on the island. They could take the bus instead of walking.
Speaker 2: But right, yeah, I'll they's gonna like leave it in that clearing anytime, and they need a little pick me up.
Speaker 1: Just get up. I believe. I believe we do see it again.
Speaker 2: Do some donuts.
Speaker 1: Welltimes. Next Tuesday, we will continue with season three, episode eleven of Lost, which is sadly not the Life of Vicent, but Enter seventy seven, which sounds like we're back in putting stuff in a computer or deactivating alarm or going to a hotel to room seventy seven. I don't know we will find out who is this eighth flashback.
Speaker 2: Pedia says it's it's a said episode and it's pronounced enter seven seven.
Speaker 1: Enter seven seven. Alright, then why.
Speaker 2: Would they not put a space in there?
Speaker 1: Then? Yes, or a dash or something? Yeah, sayid flat. We haven't had a SAYI flashback in a long time. But you know, at this moment, I don't really care about Studes that story. We haven't really spent much time with him lately. And man, that's been fine. Why didn't he go? Where was he when they were doing the minibus? He could he could have used a joy ride that man, Yes, and Desmond too would have enjoyed a joy ride. They got to give people joy raids. They gotta go find Sad Sacks on the beach and say you know what you need.
Speaker 2: You need take turns, we'll develop, we'll drop them.
Speaker 1: You need a ride in a in a VW bus and a ransom beer. Clear up all your problems, man, and we will see you to back here tomorrow to discuss the Gilded Age, a show on which a great many people could use a ride in a VW minibus and a ransom beer. It would solve a lot of problems mm hmm. Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcast Guests, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash Shop slash Mamitude. But you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.