Speaker 1: Pussy around.
Speaker 2: This is the seventy seven w ABC Mini cast. So guess who we have on my liveline. My good friend Tony Oh, Tony Orlando.
Speaker 3: Hello, Brucy. You want to know something about that record that most people may not know. I had the good fortune of singing background on that record.
Speaker 2: No wait, whoa whoa hold it, hold on, bring that to me again. You were singing background on that yep.
Speaker 3: Jack Keller, dal Evans David. Of course, Donnie Curser were the producers of that, right right, and Howard Grippel were the lyricist, and we all were in the same office in Donnie Curson's office. So when Neil cut that, I was I had a half for the Paradise just coming out, and I remember going to his sessions with Jack all the time, and so as it, what's about you know, September januaryy I'll be done.
Speaker 2: That's fab Tony. I never knew that, and Neil never told me that. That is so, that's wild, that is great, That's one.
Speaker 3: For my It was very tough to see me all go.
Speaker 2: I went, what is that all about? I mean, you know, you know's it's one thing, Tony. When somebody's ill, and you know you're unfortunately watching them, you know, sort of fade into the sunset. But when something like that happened, suddenly, it's happening too often lately.
Speaker 3: You know. Yeah, he was talking to friends a couple of days before. It was a shocking event for all of us who knew and loved Neil. And I don't think there was a greater voice I'd love to see. I don't know if he was in the rock and roll Hall of Fame, but if he is.
Speaker 2: Not, no, he's not, which was which is a crime that is That's a shame that these people don't have Neil Sedeka and that's something I've always sort of sort of held them really to the bar with. That is so ridiculous of a few others too, But Nil Sendaka belongs belonged. I wish he was there when he was alive, but at least now put him in the rock and hole of him, it's disgraceful.
Speaker 3: You know. He inspired Elton John, he inspired Billy Joel. He was that guy at the piano, he was that singer songwriter. He was all of those things that they became. And if anything, he should be recognized as a pioneer.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Are you aware that he well he went to Juilliard, the Juilliard School of Music and New York. And are you aware that he won a Tchaikowsky Piano Medal. Yeah, he won a big medal on that an award. What a talented guy.
Speaker 3: As a matter of facted to go to YouTube. It was a wonderful little video of him being on a show called I've Got a Secret. Remember that show I've Got a Secret? And he was on that show and that's what he announced to the world. But he won that and his incredible talent as a classical musician, Neilsa. Daco was a literal genius. He really was.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: You know, there were so many songs that we you and I can mention they away, you know, aside from the Doobie Does and and you know the real great big commercial hits, the Calendar Girls and everything.
Speaker 1: But you can hear his.
Speaker 2: Classic you know talent in a lot of this music. Oh my gosh, he is so talented. All right, now, let's skip to you. Huh what is to Where are you tonight? Tonyolanda, the man who's taking it easy in his life?
Speaker 1: You'll bollow me?
Speaker 3: Oh you know only God will retire me from doing charity work, okay, And the truth of the matter is that is worth everything to me. And right now I got a call from Billy Gilmano from Billy from the NBA telethon. But he was a young, young country singer and Jerry Lewis loved him. And Jerry's daughter, Danny l Lewis called me and said would you help him with his chardy And Rhode Island that's where I am going to be. Not I'm here tonight, but tomorrow night is there event and they've asked to come out and speak and sing a couple of songs. And so that's why I'm here.
Speaker 1: So you're in wait to me, Tony, you're in Rhode Island now, yeah?
Speaker 2: All right? Let me as a test, what was the song they wrote about Rhode Island, Tony Orlando, I'm gonna see if I get you this one? They wrote a song about it, Road Road, You're both no already ready for this, Tody, You're gonna love this.
Speaker 1: And I don't even ask me the year. I mean we're talking maybe thirties forties. Here we go, poor little Rhode Island, smallert of the forty eight. How's that?
Speaker 2: My poor little Rhode Island small of the forty eight said that alone tells you we had forty eight states? Is that that's an actual song? I'm not kidding you. No, no bologna, that's it.
Speaker 3: You're doing radio done too.
Speaker 1: Don't be a wise cat.
Speaker 3: Let me tell you something. Nobody, nobody has done radio better longer. You know. I've had the opportunity, because you know of that station, that you are right the WABC for five years learning what it is to do what you do. It is an art form that people really don't get, Lucy, because you have to connect with people who don't even see you. You're connecting because of your soul and your heart, your knowledge. It is really an extraordinary art form. The thing that you've done this since nineteen sixty is insane. It's just crazy.
Speaker 1: What am I doing? I should have been a surgeon.
Speaker 3: No, really, really, you don't realize it because you've been doing it all your life. Man, oh man, When you get behind that microphone guys at home and you try what cousin Boosey's doing for four hours and every week to find a playlist to hit everybody the right way, I'm not kidding. That's genius.
Speaker 2: Seriously, Yeah, yeah, listen, I guess that's your front. What's on your show? What's the new name of the new name of the new show. What's that's called It's the.
Speaker 1: It's called rock.
Speaker 3: In the decades we've been on out for the last year on the on the Red Apple Network. In fact, Kevin who's working with you tonight, has been very responsible help helping all of us get through that, and I want to thank him on the air. By the way, He's a great addition to the to the organization. But like tonight, I get a chance to do things, so I'm doing it. You know all From August eighth to August sixteenth, Grace Clan celebrates Elvis Presley Week. I know you know that, and I'm going to be there on the thirteenth. They asked me to come and share stories about my relationship and friendship with Elvis, and so I'm gonna be there. So tonight on our show, I played all of Elvis music and all of the music that Elvis inspired others to do, and some of the songs that were written by friends like Chips Moment who produced him. I was that the session when we do Suspicious mind So there's a lot of information I had and I have a great time. I had Priscilla Presley on the show tonight and d Z who was the host. He's an Elvis tribute artist, was a host of that event every year, and an event that brings people from all over the world. It's really unbelievable.
Speaker 2: You're gonna have such a good time because I know you are such a music historian.
Speaker 1: That's good. So what am I playing tonight?
Speaker 3: Well, I thought, you know, I was that the session when this record was made, Chips moment. It was a good friend of mine because at the time I was working for Clyde Davis and running his music division for me, and I was in the studio and he goes in and records I think one of Elvis's greatest songs called Suspicious Minds.
Speaker 2: Now, you have so many wonderful, wonderful stories. You are amazing. You are my amazing friend.
Speaker 3: I'm blessed.
Speaker 1: Yes, you have all right, introduce it.
Speaker 2: Tony Orlando introduced it here on our show, Suspicious Minds.
Speaker 3: Well, everybody right now, I want to play a song that, without a doubt, was part of Elvis's major comeback. Well, even though he had a comeback in the early seventies. And here it is the great Elvis with suspicious minds.
Speaker 2: Can you come back with Ain't no woman, you cousin, Regie, everybody, Elvis Presley and that great That was nice stories and nice, nice hearing from Tony. And you give Tony a listen, will you on the network? And he's quite something. Tony Orlando through the decades eight hundred and eight, four, eight ninety two, twenty two. In a couple moments, I'm going to come back with the four tops of the boat town in your town, my town, our town, stand by for the cause.