Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, Welcome to Game Best Morning is presented by ms I with me Jeff Grub, your host from Giant bomb dot com. Thank you for tuning in. In this episode, we're gonna be talking about Sony making a new handheld that sounds a lot like the Switch. It's gonna be a good episode because we have lex Ludi on the show. LEXI, how are you doing?
Speaker 2: The thing I love about Giant Bomb is like one person tags out and one person tags in and it just runs like a well oiled machine.
Speaker 3: You can't tell the difference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like a sports team where they just have their playbook and everyone knows that role.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: Yep, it's it's beautiful.
Speaker 5: It's I will mute you and take over your spot.
Speaker 2: I don't think the thing is I know Sean isn't joking.
Speaker 3: Never joked Sean, not once in his life.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, it's uh, look, we're doing our best over here. I most of it's just like me being like where am I at me in the right direction? Where am I supposed to be right now? But we're we're making it work. It's been fun still, That's what That's all that matters, right, everybody, It's not like anyone's paying for this.
Speaker 3: Uh lex, see, how are you doing well?
Speaker 2: I'm so fucking tired. I'm so tired. I was out of Games Calm. I had my flight home canceled while I was at Games Calm, which, let me tell you that rules, and then having it to be.
Speaker 1: Like you got to go like you're going to different country. It's like if if your flight get canceled, what do.
Speaker 3: They expect you to do?
Speaker 1: It's so weird flights getting canceled such a crazy because it might me.
Speaker 2: Still, the thing that really annoyed me was I booked return flights and then I had to be out there a day early for in video event, so I booked another flash that would get me out there a day early, and then because I didn't show up for the first of my like flights that I had originally booked, they just canceled everything after that because they were like, oh, this person didn't show up, and I had to win them and be like, hey, no, I'm in the country. I got a different flish and they're like, oh, we're going to charge you one hundred and fifty yerho to rebook it. And I was like that's great. Can I rebook it, and they were like, no, you can only do that a day beforehand, so you're gonna have to bring us back again the day beforehand, which resulted in me having to cancel two appointments at Gamescom because the only times that their fucking customer service was open was during the working day. So in total, I missed out on two appointments that I was meant to be like getting freelance commissioned to cover and also pay the one hundred and fifty y oh so I lost out on about four hundred and seventy euho because they canceled my flights.
Speaker 1: Just it's fun to travel. It's what I've described, It's fun, no downsides to it whatsoever. Yeah, we I'm like looking over at packs and I'm like, packs has happening this weekend and I would love to have been there, but also happy to not be trying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a lot of that has lost.
Speaker 1: Its luster on me, especially anytime going to cities I've been to a bunch of times before.
Speaker 3: I like Seattle. I do like being at these places, but I like being at home too.
Speaker 2: That's nice, ye, And I will say, first time in Frankfurt Airport ever the worst airport bar none I've ever been in. Fine, genuinely one of the most miserable places on Earth. Just nowhere to sit once you get through security, nowhere to get food. Fucking miserable experience. But apart from that, Game's Come was good.
Speaker 1: Is it like, is it a confusing or is it just like a drab place to be?
Speaker 2: It is a drab place to be and there's like nowhere to sit down once you go through security, so you're just like, well, I guess I'm just sitting on the ground. This is great, And.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's also crazy. Also one of theone doesn't understand what airports are like.
Speaker 2: That's it's one of those airports where it like they don't have anywhere to refill your water bottles, which I think should be like a fucking criminal act. Yeah, like you let people allow to allow people to refill their warhabah holes when they get through security. It's awful. But games Come was good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm glad to hear it.
Speaker 1: I'm sure we'll have opportunities here to talk about it throughout the news, maybe a little bit here or there, but let's explain ourselves. We're giant bomb. You go to giant bomb dot com slash Join, you get ad free versions of the show. By becoming a Premium member also gets you some extra goodies. We are also let's see here, we do fun stuff like go out to Summer game Fest, or do some traveling and or set up the game awards and stuff like that, and we'll do some fun stuff there and we could do that through your support, and if you could support us to make sure we can keep doing a lot more of that by going once again to giant bomb dot com slash join and becoming a Premium member. As far as this show goes, most weekdays, I Jeff Greb will help piece your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. If you are watching live on Twitch welcome. You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for game Mes Mornings, or find the RSS feed on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later with chapters and timestamps on YouTube.
Speaker 3: Hello YouTube.
Speaker 1: All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the Morning Mess with Sony is gunning for the switch to with a handheld dockable PS six.
Speaker 3: This is from Ali Reynolds at Nintendo Life.
Speaker 1: Despite Sony's PS five being on the market for nearly five years at this point, it still somehow feels way too soon to be talking about the inevitable PlayStation six. Who even wants or needs one yet? But all last, here we are the latest rumor from YouTube channels A channel Moore's Law is Dead via push Square. Is particularly significant because it seems to hint that Sony is planning to launch a variant of the PS six that will not only be a handheld, but can also be docked, just like the Switch and switch to. Code named CANNIS, the handheld is suppose one of three skews play planned for the PlayStation six. The main one will be Orion, which will be your bog standard flagship console with all of the specs. The second is the Canus handheld, and the third is the Canus console or the PS six S. The latter two will share similar specs and will likely lean closer to what Sony is currently offering with the PS five slash PS five Pro, albeit with a few minor upgrades here and there. So essentially, rather than focusing on sheer power, because if it ain't obvious by now, we're very much past the area of the era of power and we're into diminishing returns, Sony is seemingly looking to capture both the console and handle and handheld market.
Speaker 3: Hopefully.
Speaker 1: This might also mean that it's able to offer slightly cheaper options because of the so called Orion uh is going to retail at a similar price to the PS five Pro.
Speaker 3: We'll see if that happens.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, yeah, Okay, So there's a couple of things here. Uh you know, this comes from Moore's Law is dead who you know, is kind of all over the place with rumors, but it has had some rumors that have been born out when it comes to PlayStation stuff specifically, and especially anything that uses the AMD chipset inside of the PlayStation. So let's just kind of take this as all right, maybe this is happening. Let's discuss it as a possibility here. This is going to apparently have a system where it'll have a handheld mode and it'll run at a certain power level and then you can dock it, and when it's docked, it will run at a higher power level, so you get more performance out of there. That's a little bit different than how some things work, like the Steam deck can get more power if you like plug it in or whatever. Switch tends to not give you too many more differences other than games will have different profiles in certain situations, but it's not like all of a sudden a ton more power is unlocked. So yeah, I am curious to see what Sony's thinking internally about running another handheld out there. This is a company that has done this multiple times before, not exactly like this pretty different from a PlayStation portable or PlayStation VDA in some key ways, but they are going to be going into a space that Nintendo dominates and is also pretty busy with PC handhelds.
Speaker 3: So what do you think when you hear all this.
Speaker 2: The thing that gives me a bit of hesitancy about this rumor is the idea of launching three console skews at once, Like that seems nuts. And also you look at the history of multiple console skews in recent years and the like how the Xbox Series S has affected development on that platform. It hasn't made life easier, it's made it harder for them to get games running at Parashee. It's made some games just haven't come to Xbox because they don't want to deal with the series s And like, yes, the PS six that has the handheld version will probably wind up becoming the version that the most people want to buy. But also if they're saying that the PS six that is just a traditional console is the flagship version, then they will also be trying to incentivize developers to make their games look better on that, And I think it's a very weird place to stash a console generation with a like lineup that is already that splitsh It makes sense as a generation goes on to give people more options and to kind of be like, well, now you can buy the Switch lighth which you know you can't dark, but it's cheaper. Or now you can buy the PS five Pro, which is more expensive, but you know it's for the premium user. And starting out like that it seems I don't know, it seems risky because people already like the switch because they can just plug it in and play, like that's the convenience of the switch, that's the convenience of consoles, and the idea of instead of playing Interlash and just being like, no, we're just doing a handheld hybrid and this is going to be what we do. And I think they're almost scared to put all their chips down on just doing a handheld hybrid, even if they think that is the way forward for the console markers. But also like, I don't know how much effort they're going to put into a fully traditional console system if the handheld hybrid is where they want their eggs to eventually wind up. So, yeah, what do you think of this, because like I'm super split on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think that they are right that they do need to have some presence in this space, whether or not they can figure that out, whether or not they can sort of make that make sense and present it in a right way that won't sort of degrade what happens with the core PlayStation six console and at the same time, is enough to compete and you know, get a little bit of the market share from Nintendo something that will be difficult, and then if it's like, if that's not the strategy, then then them being able to find a way to kind of set themselves to the.
Speaker 3: Side of that. I mean, I think that they're right that there is.
Speaker 1: Going to be a lot of people who have grown up playing handhelds their whole lives because of Nintendo, and we'll be like looking at stuff like the Steam Deck and all these other things and going that's maybe that's where I should be. I mean, I'll probably still have a Nintendo system, but I want to have something else that could play all these other games. And Sony can offer that and in a really compelling way, and a big and a big part of that is they can still make it a console where it's like just very simple to use and people still really want that. I just think that every time that they've done this before, it has been dragged down because they try to have two separate like pathways, you know, parallel pathways. So if we're developing the big games over here and we're developing the smaller games over here, and they can't support.
Speaker 2: Team was always on Visa. The B teams team always put on always put on Visa games.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's right, I mean, and really the B team was put on a lot of PSP games, and then no team was put on a lot of Vita stuff where it's like on the Vida the support kind of dried up like pretty quickly from Sony, uh and some other you know, third parties. There was a lot of indies and visual novel games that supported the Vita for a very long time, so it did have some games coming to it. But uh, that might not be a problem this time with this thing, because the idea would be that this is just also a PS six that brings you that brings it up, like to your problem that you mentioned, like the Xbox Series S has not caused or has caused some headaches, and so does that sort of replicate here. I think probably, And I wonder if like this is Sony just kind.
Speaker 3: Of big yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 2: The really big headache that they are gonna one up against is like you look at the feature set on the PS five and this would have to have backwards compatibility on old Dash like PlayStation five controllers run out of battery in two hours. And that's just because there's so much shitting them. There is the with their version of HD Rumble, there is their gyroroscope, there's their touch pad, there's their light bars, there's all of this, and I think that all that stuff being put into a handheld is going to be a huge battery drain like the Switch and Steam Deck. They don't have the battery drain just in a controller that the PlayStation stuff will demand because people will expect this to be backwards compatible. So I think that, like already, they're going to have a real challenge with getting this thing to be power efficient.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: I think yeah, And they're going to face a lot of other companies and now have a ton of experience in the space and might have a little bit more room to work with because they aren't going to be anchored to something like a PS six. If they do this and they can position this as a PS six, every game is going to have to work, right, Like, is there any way that they could try to find a way through messaging to be like, these are the games that don't work on your PS six because it's the handheld PS six that just can't work right.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think you can get away with that, especially, you know, if your call if you also have a PS six S model, which is apparently a not like a traditional console style that is as powerful as the handheld. I don't think like the idea having two consoles on the market and one of the games like games can play on only one of them. Seems nuts, like that would never that would never fly. So yeah, I think that we've seen this as platforms open up and democracy take democracization of tools and all of that, developers have really struggled with getting things running on every single platform and they have to pick their battles more than ever. And it I think that one of the real like luxuries of the console market was if you were a PlayStation exclusive developer, you could just build your games for PlayStation. You know, you start with like the cell processor on the PS three, games that were just built for that could look really fucking good. Whereas now you're gonna have a situation where they're at least building for three console SKUs. Most of these games will probably also be making their way to Xbox and Switch by this time. And also they're doing all their porching to PC now, I think it's gonna like really strain their pipeline. And like they recently gushed what was it, the PlayStation Support Studio, the Sony Arts Studio or whatever it was, but like they have Nixy's, but they're kind of a PC porching house, So I just wonder where the extra support comes from for them to be able to get these games running at like acceptable qualities, not just on their souls, but on all the other platforms that they want to be releasing on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think you're kind of getting that. Really.
Speaker 1: The maybe the Achilles steel here is, you know, the reason people buy the Nintendo handheld is to play Nintendo games. And matt on mapis Catel from Mister Kana earlier this week, and it's like, yeah, never forget that, that's why people buy the Nintendo handheld. And I think people buy the Sony system for Sony games, but there are fewer of those right these days that it feels like there's fewer of those that are really moving the needle, at least the big ones that everyone does talk about.
Speaker 3: Sony PlayStation is out now, while Soulicides out this week.
Speaker 1: Is that what we're talking about here, That's not what I'm talking about when I'm when I'm mentioning this concept here, other than the Shawn's of the world, I think that, you know, when people go to buy this thing, they'll be like, Okay, well, why am I getting a PlayStation?
Speaker 3: It's to play Madden Call of Duty Fortnite it's.
Speaker 1: To play all these games that are available on a lot of different places, and there's going to be other handhelds that will likely be maybe more affordable and or more powerful, and or have more stores on them, so you can more easily access some of this stuff, maybe a place where you've already been playing this stuff. I guess that's the thing that maybe Sony's trying to do here is there are a lot of people who already play those games on PlayStation and they want to take their save file on their account, and they want to have that be seamless, and they want to serve that audience over here, and they have evidence that people that audience does want to play on a handheld because the PlayStation portal sold way better than they were ever expecting. Whether that means that that audience can now support a PS six handheld, we'll see. I just think that they are in such a different situation because Nintendo's had thirty years of an audience trained that, hey, our handhelds maybe your primary way that you're interacting with our stuff because of Pokemon, and the Sony audience is a little bit different there. That doesn't mean they shouldn't try this. I think they probably should. I just wonder if the final product that we see is actually a lot what this sounds like, or if it's like scaled back, maybe it's an improved PlayStation portals what they end up settling on.
Speaker 2: You know, I will say, I super hope this works because laystation portable PSVSA they are great handhelds. They feel really good to hold. Yeah, they like look really nice. They there is something about those handhelds where it's like, this is what on the go gaming should feel like, because some of those experiences really were like pushing that hardware to its limits and were really impressive for what they are. Like I have Alectroid pocket and the thing that I play the most on it is PSP games because they still look fucking awesome and they like are genuinely really fucking good gaming experiences. So like, I want it to work, but I'm just hesitant of this idea of like three console skews and it it doesn't seem like a very clear direction, Like I would get it if they were like, no, we are just doing a handheld hybrid now, but the idea of being like we're doing a handheld and two traditional consoles at launch it's it seems.
Speaker 3: Like a law.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems it seems like too much, and like they're setting themselves up for I don't know, not like if you bear, you focus down on the one thing you really want to sell, and then over time maybe you expand.
Speaker 3: If they were going to launch all this right away, I I.
Speaker 1: It's the kind of thing where this is the kind of thing that could cause a console launch delay.
Speaker 3: We'll see.
Speaker 1: Not that that's any concern, because, as the story rightfully points out, I am not aching for a PS six in any way, just like it's not at zero percent, but it's at like five percent desire level right now for me.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: You know, in most new consoles at this point in their their life, I'm getting up there like, oh yeah, I'm really looking forward to maybe something new. I think last gen also took a couple more years than normal because it was like, yeah, this, there's been plenty of good games. I'm not necessarily aching for a PS five, But once they showed it off, I was ready and rare and to go.
Speaker 3: Now it's like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It doesn't feel like we've had our twenty seventeen equivalent. This generation, you know, it doesn't feel like there's been a year where you're like, man, what a fucking back to back bangers throughout the year? Like, there's been great games, and I think like the overall quality of games has been excellent recently, but like we haven't had that year where like literally no one could figure out what game of the year would be because there's like four games that are like eligible or like could be some of the greatest games of all time coming out in the same year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's been, Yeah, there has been a lot of great games. It just has not felt like the PlayStation five, Xbox Series X, they've not felt like they've had their definitive year like you're suggesting. And I agree with that last thing before we move on from this topic. So PS five pro is seven and fifty dollars. Now all of their consoles went up like fifty dollars.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 1: I think when I look at that pricing, part of me does make me. Part of me does think that they're setting up the next gin so that they can step up from these prices, And honestly, having a handheld in the mix makes it make even more sense to me because that this thing that the way it's described can't be less than six hundred dollars, so and I think if that that's going to be like, Okay, the six hundred dollars handheld, and maybe the five hundred dollars PlayStation six S that isn't portable, and then a seven hundred dollars PS six and then one day an eight hundred dollars PS six pro. You're making that face that I think is the correct response to all.
Speaker 2: Of these numbers, like making that I'm a freelancer face, yes, which is like, this is more money than I make in several months.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: So I mean, I mean, I don't think you're alone in that boat off people looking at those numbers and being like I'm being priced out of this hobby. I mean, do any of those prices sound wrong to you? I think that's how this is probably going to shake out. I feel pretty confident.
Speaker 2: They don't sound wrong, and that's what's so upset, you know, Like I'm thinking about it now and I'm like, motherfucker, yeah. I think that this is like going to be the generational problem for this this era of gaming is it's getting really fucking expensive to keep doing gaming in the way that we're doing ish and Matt was on this week talking about how you know, he doesn't think that like necessarily releasing more games quicker is the solution to things, and you know, part of that is also like I don't think making the bigger games come out quicker is a solution either. And you know, games being this expensive to make and this expensive to release and markish and sell to people for the return that they then make in turn is a problem. And it's now a problem that's gotten so serious that it is being like the people who play games are feeling that pinch and companies are not willing to eat the cost on it. They're charging through the nose for it. So yeah, I think that that's gonna be a real challenge of the next generation. Is like I don't think there's gonna be that many people like you and me who buy all the consoles anymore, because I just don't think that's gonna be realistic.
Speaker 1: And now we're like as we like as people like us occasionally do get priced out, it's not like there's a young person replacing us. That is that is that way about the hobby where they're like, I'm going to now get all the consoles They're like, I don't want to need all the consoles.
Speaker 3: I've never needed all the consols. What are you talking about?
Speaker 2: And even if there was like they don't have the money, like even if there were young people that excited about the hardware, Like what young person has as a young person that doesn't have money, what young person has money for this hobby anymore?
Speaker 3: Yep?
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, all right, Well, let let's keep going with the headlines here. Real quick, shout out to My Life and Gaming. Corey did a raid real quick. I like, we're big fans of My Life and Gaming over here. I also like, Corey, when you show up in the Greg Sewart's videos and you do the voices on those videos, I appreciate that. All right, let's keep going here. Capcom settles it. No, Pragmata isn't a secret Mega Man game. This is from Andy Robinson at VEJ.
Speaker 2: He's like when Kojima got out there and said he wasn't the fucking guy.
Speaker 3: The bandage head guy. Yeah yeah, He's.
Speaker 2: Like, no, no, no, I'm not Walkie Moglin. This is the Pragmata. Isn't Mega Man.
Speaker 3: We all believe you, Capcom.
Speaker 1: Capcom is officially debunked the popular online fan theory that it's upcoming sci fi action game Pragmata is secretly a Mega Man revival. Online fan theory is kicked off earlier this year, noting the similarities between the design of Pragmata's robotic girls sidekick Diana and Capcom's Mega Man, as well as thematic connections like the game taking place on a moon base taken over by evil machines infected by a virus. However, Capcom has now officially debunked the rumor after VGC quizzed pragmat a producer in nyoto O Yama about the theory.
Speaker 2: Pragmatic asking this, but like Juic, just being like, dude, what, what the fuck are you talking about. I've been working on this game for seven years and you're asking me if it's a fucking Mega Man game.
Speaker 3: Look, she's got the buster whatever it is, the thing there on her arm. It looks just like it. Pragmata is not a Mega Man game, he laughed. It is.
Speaker 1: It is a completely new game from Capcom. I was actually one of the producers on the Mega Man Battle Network Legacy collection as well, so I'm happy to see that people who love Mega Man are passionate about Pragmata two. What a diplomatic answer. From my standpoint, it's nice to see people are being so positive about it. Give them time. They they're gonna get toxic about it. It's not when it turns out to not be the case.
Speaker 2: Being fucking angry. He is not happy about this ship. He's going to sound alighting campaign.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I'm not buying this ship. It's definitely a Mega Man game. This is what they would say.
Speaker 2: Right, Having played that demo twice now, I played at an inn Video e vent A Games Calm, and at Capcom itself. I just think it's a really fucking good.
Speaker 3: It's just good, right, it's good.
Speaker 2: This is how I described it. You probably have to see semen at some point.
Speaker 3: Oh look at the simple brain. Norby's uh person in charge said it's not thank you, Sean. We were just saying we weren't buying it, all right.
Speaker 2: But having played like this game twice, do you all know how I started describing it to people?
Speaker 3: Please? I want to hear it.
Speaker 2: It is the resid Evil four combat system with a mini game that activates the same part of your brain as Tetris and jet boots.
Speaker 1: That's yeah, that makes it sound awesome, and that works because it is. It really is all those things in a very good way. That's a very good description. I Uh. I like when you actually describe what you're doing. I see people's eyes glaze over. I start doing the ten year old explaining something that I'm excited about things, I'm like, oh, people aren't getting it.
Speaker 3: Let's just move on.
Speaker 1: What you just said there. I think should activate people's brains in a good way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that game I'm very excited about. I was not expecting to like be as hot on that game as I was, But turns out just giving your brain like a low level task to do while you shoot people makes it so much more engaging.
Speaker 1: It's just like, oh, there are this is I don't know if it's real left brain right brain stuff. I don'm no expert on it, but it feels that way where it's like this part of my brain like shooting.
Speaker 3: This part of my brain likes these tiny little puzzles.
Speaker 1: Let's bounce back and forth, you know, the tennis ball between these two sides of my brain, and I just feel like it's tickling, you know, the receptors.
Speaker 3: Up there in a real nice way. All right, let's take a break.
Speaker 1: We got to go to our ad sponsor, micro Star International.
Speaker 3: The MSI Corporation is bringing you this episode.
Speaker 1: If you want to skip out on these to go to GiantBomb dot com slash join become a premium member.
Speaker 3: For now, let's go to the break. Jam.
Speaker 1: My computer sick. I've decided it's time to start building a new one. I just don't know where to start.
Speaker 3: Grub.
Speaker 4: If your computer is sicky, pooh, you gotta start with MSI, which just drops something big in its brand new Z eight ninety and B eight sixty Intel motherboards.
Speaker 1: Are those the motherboards that unlock the power of the Intel Core Ultra series two CPUs.
Speaker 4: Yes, sir, these MOBOs, as we're calling them on the streets are powerhouses for gaming, streaming, and whatever intense tasks you need.
Speaker 3: To throw at them.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, but Jane, you know me, I'm scared of tools. That's screwdrivers so sharp.
Speaker 4: It's okay, Bud, MSI made them jeffproof me, Dan proof as well, which means they're easy to work with. No more wrestling with tiny little screws or confusing manuals. We're talking easy dbug LEDs that tell you exactly what's going on toolless installs for your M two drives and jipoos or GPUs. We're calling them Jippoo's two now okay.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah, oh okay yeah.
Speaker 1: MSI has that modern bios as well, that looks like it was actually made for humans to use, not some relic from two thousand and three.
Speaker 3: Give me more of that.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's right. It's going to be so easy to get secure boots on the ground. It's like PC building on easymode grub. And here's the best part. Giant BombCast listeners, MSI is giving you ten percent off these new regularly priced Z eight ninety and B eight sixty boards. Just head over to ushstore dot m SI dot com and use promo code BombCast at checkout boom instant savings.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm going to stack that discount. They allow you to do that with MSIs got ongoing promotions. That's potentially going to score me up to one hundred and twenty dollars in Steam codes. It's basically free games just for upgrading. Everyone listening should do the same. So if you're ready to upgrade your setup, do not wait visit US dash store dot MSI dot com and use the code bom cast all in lowercase and give your PC the upgrade it deserves. MSI making PC building less of a headache and a lot more fun. Mobo, We're back. It's Game Mess Mornings. I am Jeff Grubb. That's Lex Luddy. Let's get back into the headlines here with Diablo devs vote to create four hundred and fifty plus strong union. This is from Rachel Kaser GamesBeat. The Communication Workers of America announced today that over four hundred and fifty workers at ACTIVISIY Blizzard who've worked on the Diablo franchise have voted to unionize. According to the CWA, the unit includes a wide swath of workers across the company, including developers, artists, engineers, and more. Microsoft also has also recognized the union. Blizzard staff, speaking about the union vote vote noted the potential workplace problems that the union vote would avert. Most recently, Microsoft laid off over nine thousand employees, which included staff at Blizzard.
Speaker 3: Jason Justice, president.
Speaker 1: Of the CWA Local nine to five to one zero, one of the chapters under which the Blizzard members would be organizing, said what's happening here is part of a much larger story about turning the tide in an industry that has long overlooked its labor. Entertainment workers across film, television, music, and now video games are standing together to have a seat at the table. And and I mean, you know, one of the things they mentioned is there is a passion text like, hey, people really want to work in this industry, and these companies exploit that and they always have and of course, like that is capitalism, right, you have, like you're supposed to capitalize on every opportunity. And being able to take advantage of someone and pay them less or give them give them less in exchange for their labor because they want to do the job is something that you are just supposed to do under the way, under the way capitalism works. The only way to sort of stand against that is the dismantle capitalism, which is not going very well. I don't know if you've paid attention, lex see it's not going super well that whole thing. Or you can thank you, I appreciate it, or we can have a union kind of get at the table and demand certain things be applied to every employee there, and you know, I think there is a a an upswell of unionization in video games because of two factors. I think even the people that were once resistant to it, Like there are a lot of old heads who grew up in this industry or or you know, worked this industry for a long time who would have never unionized because they're like, I like to stand on my own two feet and bargain just for myself, and I'm you know, meritocracy on all this. I think they've even learned, no, these companies will always take advantage of us and will always kind of undermine us in the end. And then there's a lot of younger people who just inherently knew this because they were properly educated about the way these corporations work.
Speaker 3: So I don't know, the tides do feel like they're turning.
Speaker 1: And this is a I mean, I said last night on Gemist Asides, the idea of a union like this at Blizzard ten years ago would have been completely laughable.
Speaker 2: So here we are, and I think you need to like give them big ups for like, how fucking brave this is under Microsoft at the moment you look at the stuff that they are doing to people who are protesting internally within the company you look at like I think Arkane putting out that leisure a couple of weeks back as part of their union is something that only could have happened with union protections making sure that there wouldn't be retaliation, and even then it's not like a guarantee that there wouldn't be retaliation against them. I think that this definitely got speeded up by what happened over at King or what is currently happening over at King, and how people are being like basically put on work that will get rid of their job in a couple of months time so that AI can do it instead. I think you have a lot of people within Microsoft and within Activision, Blizzard, King who are looking around and being like, we need to fucking protect ourselves, because it is becoming very clear that Microsoft doesn't actually care how these games are made. They care that the games make money, and if the game, no matter how bad it is, no matter how shitty it is for the player, no matter how bad it is for the developers to like work on, if the game keeps on making more money, they do not care what goes into the sausage. And so you have people who are banding together and are protecting themselves. I think that's the only sensible thing you can do if you work at these companies, short of like extra caging yourself from the company, which I also like. I think that everyone at every developer, every studio head at Microsoft at the moment should be like ringing up toys for Bob saying, hey, how did you get out? Because the vibe that you get off of Microsoft is like, we don't care about any of the people making all games. Wee care that the game division is still making money, and we will cut it to the bone as long as it still makes money. And so I would be trying to find ways to protect my employees, try to find ways to protect myself and get out of that system and try to actually become independent again, because Microsoft surely shit doesn't care about anyone underneath them.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean it's just pretty obvious based on the way they're behaving right now, where it's like they got distracted by AI or that's the thing that they're smelling right now. That just smells the best of them, and that like the best opportunity, and that means cut everywhere else, including this huge investment you just made in video games, and that means cutting a lot of people. And yet they're still trying to put out a ton of games, so a lot of people are gonna have to do a lot more work. Yeah, you know, a seat at the table is really all this gets gets the people. You know, collective bargaining agreement is also a potential once they're at the table. But I see that the table is better than the way it was before. And the reason I'm putting in that way is people should not imagine.
Speaker 3: This as some silver bullet that will stop all these people from getting laid off.
Speaker 1: There will be laid off layoffs again, even if the union fully realizes its power. But at the very least, in the meantime, a union can do things like collectively bargained to ensure people get paid more now while they are employed. So it's not like, Okay, I look back and I don't have a job anymore, and I wasn't getting as much money as I should have been getting or deserved beginning because of that passion tax we mentioned earlier. I think if it can happen at Blizzard, it can happen anywhere, And I just hope there is a real domino effect going forward, because this industry just needs a strong unionization era to see what it can do when people are a.
Speaker 3: Little bit more protected at these jobs.
Speaker 1: All right, So let's keep going here. Mattel brings he Manned and attorneya to Fortnite via ue FM, which is Unreal Engine for Fortnite. This is from Rachel Kaser at games Beat. Mattel continues its charm offensive with Masters of the Universe with the Masters of the Universe franchise, this time by bringing it to an official island in Fortnite. He Manned, Tila and several other residents of Eternia, as well as Attorney itself, have joined the island of Masters of the Universe. He Man Heroes, which launched today in early access. Users who visit the island gathered together the heroes and some villains villains from the franchise to battle through hordes of enemies, and doing so they collect shards of Eternia. Blah blah blah. I actually don't care about how this game plays or anything like that. Really, I wanted to just ask you, Lexi, because I bet you don't have a lot of interest in he Man and Masters of the Universe. I don't even really It was like it was happening while I was a kid. But my little brother actually was way more into it than I was. We are getting a he Man game from a camera me the beat him up? Yeah, Audie's working on it. Audi who's over at Limited Run Games and is actually back doing stuff for Digital Foundry again. He's overseeing. He's like executive producer and kind of directing the game. And there's that game, and there's this, And I wonder which one do you think is getting more support from the people who own the ip of he Man and Masters of the Universe.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, you know that a charm offensive is like really working. When I didn't even realize that there was a charm offensive going.
Speaker 3: On, I was like, oh, oh they're going on and okay, all right, okay, ain't me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know that they're making that fucking movie, right, they're like rebooting the movie. I remember who's working on that. All I care about when it comes to he Man. Is that really fucking terrible live action movie from the early nineties. Yeah, yeah, it's it's a real the most hormoronic movie ever made, probably incredible and it's real good and has one of the best villain makeups of all time despite having a budget of like two dollars. So that's all I care about when it comes to key Man, everything else he Man. Here's the thing, Bob. Living in Ireland, I got a lot of cartoons late. I got a lot of things very fucking late. So I've seen a lot of fucking he Man because he Man was on the Irish national TV station a lash. He Man fucking sucks. He Man is a terrible cartoon. It's dreadful. It's so bad, and sure, why not who cares? Who cares anymore? Put in Fortnite?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just it's it's it is like notable to me, although I don't think it's strange. This is just the way these companies are going where like the real interest is honestly just like, let's take him in and we're not gonna like make a big triple A game. Let's just put them into one of these other live service games. This feels like the route a lot of these companies are taking.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I'm glad that we're also getting to beat them up, but that almost feels like, you know, the way Audie explained it to me, is that he really wanted to do this and it was his idea and he pushed it through and he was able to make could happen. Unless they you have someone passionate behind that able to, you know, to like oversee a project like this and take the reins and be in charge of it. It's not gonna just happen because these companies are like, we're not interested in any of that, just put it in Fortnite. And I think there was a time where we obviously would have gotten a lot of IP games just released for the Nintendo DS or whatever, the Game Boy Advance, and we're far removed from that, and it's like, okay, that is now transforming into these ips are going to show up in Fortnite and Roadblocks and Minecraft, and that's going to be where they go.
Speaker 3: And I don't know, do you think that is good for gaming? Bad for gaming? Are you indifferent? What do you think?
Speaker 2: I know, I think this comes back to some of what Map Piscatella was talking about last week of like games codifying as there being certain games that just are video games, and ultimately, if you're going to have that, if those video games that like are the Video Games of Record, and they're going to start in call creating other things, and so like, would I be mad if he Man started like funking up the next Alan Wake game? Yeah? But in Fortnite, Who gives a shit, It's Fortnite, sure, that's the whole platform. My favorite thing about he Man is when you like tell any of the older fans like, hey, you know, he Man's like fucking gay, right, and they get really mad. They're like, what do you mean? What do you mean? He's cool?
Speaker 3: It's like he's just covering for for aerodynamic reasons.
Speaker 2: Yeah. He Man is a very like closet hit gay character. Let's let's be real here.
Speaker 1: But it's weird because Adam super straight, his alter ego just the straightest guy ever.
Speaker 2: Right, all right, again that plays into like him being in the closet.
Speaker 3: Uh huh. Yeah, it's the whole metaphor there.
Speaker 1: It's fantastic. All right, let's keep going here. Steam now requires age verification in the UK for mature games.
Speaker 3: Could we have you here? Expert from the UK? Am? I right, oh okay, please don't kell me. I was just joking.
Speaker 1: It was Dan who said it. This is from Andy Robinson at VGC. Steam is rolling out the requirement for all users in the UK to verify their age in order to access store pages for games with mature content. The restrictions seemingly went into effect on Friday after social media users spotted reference to the requirement on Steam's FAQ. Thankfully, the process to verify your age is straightforward. UK users need only to add a credit card to their account, and those who already have one registered will face no restrictions. The age verification requirement comes ahead of the enforcement of a new Online Safety Act and Act in the UK, which makes online platforms responsible for their users' safety. Platforms will be required to prevent shoulder from accessing harmful and age inappropriate content and provide parents and children with clear and accessible ways to report problems. Other gaming platforms such as Xbox and Discord began discouraging users to verify their encouraging excuse me a user to verify their age in order to access certain content earlier this year. Starting early next year, age verification will be required for players in the UK to retain full access to social features on Xbox, including voice and text communications and game invites.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is.
Speaker 1: Stifling and kind of stupid in my opinion, Lexi, because it's only going to cost headaches.
Speaker 3: For people who follow the rules.
Speaker 1: There's going to be ways to get around these things like always, and people who want to get around them will continue to get around them with that and they won't have the same headaches as someone who's just actually following all the guidelines and is of age and just doesn't want these hassles.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know what do you make of all this.
Speaker 2: I should be upfront as an Irish person, like already kind of have my opinions on certain British lawmakers. But I gotta say, Kirstama, the leader of the UK, the head of the Labor Party, is a fucking disgrace and a like suspicable cunt. He is one of the worst humans currently on the planet and the damage that he has done to the queer and the trans community will be fucking written about for decades and he I hope he dies knowing that he is going to be vilified in the history books. But I think that this is another part of the UK's conservative slip into like fucking ethno nationalism, and that the way that they are trying to enact this the idea that they are putting this forward as like a safety thing for the country, when it is so clearly just to control people, When it is so clearly just to make it so that the government knows what you are accessing. And when is like, they think you're fucking stupid. They think you are the dumbest motherfuckers in the world. And in fairness, the British public voting for the people who think they're dumb motherfuckers.
Speaker 1: So like, come on, lads, I mean, well, what about the immigrants, LEXI? The immigrants be scared of the immigrants and don't pay attention to any fucking else.
Speaker 2: And the other part of this that like makes me fucking angry is as someone who lives in a country that is often affected by wind changes by UK politics, this stuff ends up affecting me. I can't log into twishter anymore without asking me to verify my age because Twitter doesn't understand the difference between Ireland and the UK. And I'm not gonna fucking give that website a fucking picture of my passport. Fuck thatsh This all fucking sucks, and I think that the people involved in it are shitty people. And I think that the way that they are trying like this all plays into trying to control what you can and can't engage with, what isn't isn't deemed ash and what like a government says is socially acceptable for you to do in the privacy of your own home and in your own downtime. And it's awful, Like I really hate this.
Speaker 1: Yep, this is something that is happening in Mississippi as well. Always good to be associated with what's going on in Mississippi. Although I clown I should recognize real quick. I just read recently Mississippi was really good at increasing the increasing their children's literacy. They were like second to last and now they're in the middle of the pack and that's like really impressive. So not always clowning on Mississippi, but Mississippi is doing this, and one of the things there is it's just like they it's very clear that this is going to be a violation of the First Amendment. But will that matter when it gets to the Supreme Court.
Speaker 3: Probably not.
Speaker 1: It's just on a fundamental level, there is no law that requires me actually to have an ID, and there is no law that requires me in the United States to have a credit card, and there is a law, a constitutional amendment that does dictate I can have a free speech when you put all those things on the table. The government just simply should not be allowed to do this in the United States. I don't know about anywhere else. I think it's dumb no matter where you are, and it's clearly it's all motivated by the same stuff that you're talking about, trying to control people, trying to stand in between people, and certain kinds of art and certain kinds of speech. You know, Trump this week telling school boards to destroy all of their educational materials related to transgender studies in like forty eight states or whatever it's about. It's just a new way of burning books. And I know it's about saving the children, is always the excuse they use always As a parent, let me tell you, every time, one hundred percent of the time, be skeptical of someone who says it's about saving the kids, it almost never is.
Speaker 3: They are almost they don't.
Speaker 1: You could tell they don't care about kids because they use kids to hurt other people or to hurt.
Speaker 3: Things that they don't like. And that is always the key to know that they are actually bad people.
Speaker 2: To just kids. Ye, kids that they don't like it.
Speaker 3: Yep, absolutely, We're moving on.
Speaker 1: Now, let's see your Final Fantasy fourteen boss addresses mod controversy after the game is review bombed. This is from Blair Marnell at GameSpot. The second incarnation of Final Fantasy fourteen debuted in twenty thirteen. It's proven to be far more resilient than the version that arrived in twenty ten. However, there's been discontent in the Final Fantasy fourteen community lately over the removal of a popular mod, which led to the game's subsequent review bombing on Steam. Now director Naoki Yoshida has addressed the mod controversy with an appeal to players. Yoshida's complete complete remarks were posted on Final Fantasy fourteen's official site, and he requested that excerpts from his statement not be used by by media outlets, but since his response was nearly two thousand words, a concise recap is unavoidable. The issue started when Square Enix's lawyers sent a letter to Modern dark ARCon regarding Mate Synchronos I'm sure or Mar excuse me, Mar Synchronos, a mod that allowed players customized avatars to be visible outside of their own game. Once mayor Synchronos was removed at squaring Enix's request, some fans shared their furry their fury in the form of negative They've shared their furry fury in the negative theme.
Speaker 2: I've seen the cocktails.
Speaker 3: That's just a feature in the game. Right.
Speaker 1: Although yo should have notes that he tolerates mods and has admiration for some fan made creations, he's against mods that valuate value, violate the game's intent or design in a negative manner. As a potential example, Yo should have noted that squaring x could face the legal consequences in some countries over nude character mods or display that on display in the game. He also cited customized appearances that made it paid content from the game as an example of devaluing the service and collectibles that scoring ex sells to provide. I bet that is the real reason is to you know, they want to make money. Yeah, this just feels like one of those ones that was probably made by the business side of things, and now the creative side of things has to sort of justify it. I bet on a certain level they're like, yeah, it would be nice to get that money instead of people using mods to get stuff for free. But I don't know, I feel like you kind of have this is one of those things you just kind of have to live with. I don't is there any reason to think Final Fantasy fourteen isn't making a fuck ton of money? Like it just it probably is doing just fine, and this seems like an unnecessary move to upset your most loyal players.
Speaker 3: What do you think, leg Si, I.
Speaker 2: Think, yeah, some of this is probably uh square Enix being worried about their golden goose because you look at square Enix's recent financial reports for like the last five ten years almost it's been like, yeah, we keep fucking everything up. But Final Fantasy fourteen is keeping us afloat, so they are probably extremely sensitive to any potential losses that Final Fantasy four Sheen has. So if a DLC doesn't hit like Dawn Trail didn't like hit as much as the last one, they're going to tighten the belt in other places and try to get that money in from other spots. Concerning Final Fantasy four Sheen, I think that like there's a lot of pressure on that team. I know that Yoshida was out there being like, hey, please remember where people and like, I don't envy that job because it is both a job where he is under like him and his team are under a lot of pressure from fans like MMO fans will let you know how they fucking feel, but also probably under a lot of pressure at an executive level to continue to bring in the same amount of money, if not more, for each expansion, which as we know, is like not easy to do. And so like, I do feel bad for the devs in this situation, because I don't know a dev who like genuinely hates model because they are like, hey, people care enough about our game to create shit themselves for our game. So yeah, I feel bad for them.
Speaker 3: Yep, you know.
Speaker 1: At the same time, I'm trying to like parse this this way. This is phrase mayor synchronos a mod that allowed players, customers, customers avatars to be visible visible outside of their own game.
Speaker 5: Does that mean, like, can I speak on this one as fourteen players? So I know a little bit about this, but so I might get a little wrong. The the golden rule of f F fourteen mods is shut the fuck up Friday, And like Yoshi dos Prey explicitly said that before, as long as you are just doing things within your own game, and yeah, affecting that's games. You're not advertising, it's super hard, it's fine, it's chill, just you know, be cool about it. But the second that you start affecting other people's games, which is what this does allow.
Speaker 1: That's like a mod that allows avatars yet to be visible outside of their own game, So it is projecting it into other people's game.
Speaker 5: Right, it's basically sinking the way that mods affect your game to other people's game. Yeah, and it's you know, that does also take away from the business they do sell items and skins and stuff. So right, that's basically I'm saying, hey, yeah, exactly, Hey, uh, you're gonna get us our team in trouble with the Square Unix business people. Y'all can't do this. So that's that's kind of why he has to like practice on this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean to me that it's like, yeah, it sounds like they've crossed a line that like, you know, a lot of clearer.
Speaker 5: To be clear, everyone needs the mod installed for us to work, so it's not like you're forcing all other users games, but it is like you are getting around their systems for doing customizations and stuff.
Speaker 1: Right and the right, and just like making stuff available that you have to pay for in the game. It's just a boneheaded move.
Speaker 3: I get that.
Speaker 1: Like you again, you maybe do that in your own game in some way, but anytime you like make that a big thing where it's like now everyone's doing this. Uh, of course these companies are going to crack down on that. It's like they should know better the people making the mods, honestly.
Speaker 5: Especially when it comes to things like mods that give you the appearance of high level gear that you didn't actually like spend time in the game for, which also takes money away from them for and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly. So I see how we ended up here, and especially like a lot of people in chat, I see Christian going off about it, and you mentioned the shut the fuck up fuck up Friday rule and then like just like flouting that and completely standing in opposition to that. It's like, of course we ended up here if you did not follow that unspoken rule.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: Up next, EA and two K games are beefing over n C DOUBLEA college basketball exclusivity. This is from Ethan Gotchak Kotaku Electronic Arts revealed earlier this year that it's planning to add a college basketball game to its ever expanding roster of sports franchises. Then two K Games came out hours later indicated it was doing the same. Now, new reportings suggest both publishers have been at war behind the scenes, trying to lock up the deals and needed to make an NCAA basketball game a reality. I'm glad we have our expert here, Lex Lettie. What do you think about all this.
Speaker 2: As someone who's been following the women's Rugby World Cup recently, I'm very excited EA and two K to begin that bidding war for the women's rugby license. The sport has never been in a better It's never been more watchable, it's never been easier to access. And have you seen how Canada played? They're actually good at this spash Well, really, why the Canadian women are really fucking good? Canadian men suck shitch?
Speaker 3: That's the way show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's right, But yeah, I'm gonna I'm gonna leave this one to you. What's going on?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there was a time where we would just would have gotten multiple sports games like this. We would have gotten multiple college basketball games from multiple publishers in the same year, and it would have been fine, you picked the one that's the best, and then next year maybe a different one's the best one, you get that one. It sounds like mostly because of the byzantine nature of licensing these schools and the thousands of players and now it's not just like college football game. It was just you know, if that's men's college ball. Now they're going to have men's and women's team, so double it. And women's college basketball is extremely popular in a lot of the country, so that like that is important to get it just sounds like that is going to cause some problems here where it's like all these schools and all of these players are going to be like, we can make a lot more money if we kind of bid these have these companies bid against one another, although to me it's like it's just come up with a big number for both of them to pay and let them both make it. But maybe these companies are like, actually, if we're going to be spending all this money, we want the exclusive rights. So it's just it's just a reminder of like we're in a bad place with a lot of these things because of business and the way that these companies do business and the way the business the businesses of sports in America, especially college sports, is so locked down and control by entities.
Speaker 2: I know someone outside, it's like unhinged. It is so weird.
Speaker 3: It's there's no defend in it. I love it. I do love it.
Speaker 1: It's it's really exciting. It's you know, there's a lot of the parallel would be like people who are super into their club team, and that parallel breaks down really fast, like it's like and but also it's college and they're all kids for the most part or just very young a dog paid although now many of them are and yeah, yeah that has changed. Although they're being paid by for you know, their their deals that they get their their their marketing deals and not necessarily getting paid a wage by the school that is also continuing to make millions and millions of dollars off of these kids. We'll see how, we'll see how this shakes out. There's too much money on the table for this not to end up with a game coming out. But what this really says to me is a lot of that money will be spent on getting these deals done and not necessarily on making the best game, which is where this whole genre has been for a while.
Speaker 3: All right, last thing here.
Speaker 1: United States ends low value packaged tariff exemption, raising costs for online shoppers. This is from Oscar Onton on Docale at Game Reactor. The latest news on the from the United States.
Speaker 2: They loft a you for buying a million Chinese hontels. They called you a fool.
Speaker 3: That's right. Come to me for those Chinese handhelds. I have them all. Uh yeah.
Speaker 1: The deminimus is the name of the loophole that it was an official loophole. Basically, it existed because if a package was worth less than eight hundred dollars, no one involved on either side, whether it was a company or a country or a postal service, wanted to deal with customs for that package. They're like, whatever, it's not worth it the amount of money we're getting from this. Just let it through and let commerce flow freely. And then Trump was born and was dropped on his head apparently, and now we have to deal with him being like, there's money there, go, dude, go in that that loophole and let's try to get that money. So what has been the response. It's not that we have to start paying these tariffs. It's people aren't going to fucking ship us stuff anymore. Like that's what's happened. Many many vendors and throughout Europe and Asia have just ceased shipping products to the United States because they don't know who to even give the money to. It's confusing, it's poorly implemented, and it's the United States.
Speaker 3: We're number one baby, here we are. We're back on top.
Speaker 1: So if you are struggling to like purchase stuff online right now, it's because of this. So yeah, just wonderful, wonderful thing we have going on here.
Speaker 2: It seems great the fact that I was like offering you, like, hey, if you need something in Japan, I'll be there and it will probably be easier for me to ship it from island because like aland will continue to have a pretty good shipping relationship with the United States for as long as it can because there's so many Irish people there. But like that will only last so long, right.
Speaker 1: Yes, And that's it's worth pointing out, Like anyone sending a personal package to someone else in their life or something like that, it's not going to be covered by this. And I bet there's a number where it actually does kick into place. But this is all about businesses in commerce. So yeah, like, le see if you want, if you've got me something from Japan and wanted to send.
Speaker 3: It to me, you should be able to do that.
Speaker 2: And again worth point, you're going to get your Japanese about in wonder world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what, I might as well. You're right, go ahead and get it and give it a.
Speaker 2: Sounds great.
Speaker 3: Oh shit, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Why is it that everything I send you is like awful or would get you in trouble.
Speaker 3: No, it's I deserve it, I get it. That that makes sense to me. Actually, what is what is going to be the fallout from all this? That's the thing. Nobody knows, nobody it's not good.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: Commerce between countries is actually a very good thing. It has been. It's turned out to be the case.
Speaker 2: That sounds like some cammy bullshit to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the thing. It's not even it's free market bullshit.
Speaker 1: But it has worked out for the most part, being able to like buy stuff from people who make things in other countries so that they can get money and live. But we're we're against that now because we suck. All right, that does over the headlines. Let's get to the poll question from yesterday. We posted that earlier. Let's go ahead and see what the results are at do you use any cloud gaming platform?
Speaker 3: Your answer?
Speaker 1: Your options were yes or no, as I occasionally do, so I'm going to vote yes and that means I'm one of the sixteen percent of people who say yes. Eighty four percent of our audience says no, they don't actively use a cloud gaming platform. LEXI, are you ever on that stream or whatever?
Speaker 2: Guy?
Speaker 3: Kai, what are you doing?
Speaker 2: No, unless I like really have to know because Irish internet just isn't good enough. Like I have pretty good internet for Alan, but it's still there's a latency that I can feel that I just kind of wounds it for me.
Speaker 1: So no, yeah, I'm I use it here or there, but really not not in any active way too frequently. And just I mean, I get that our audience was always going to be pretty low for the yes on this response, but I think I don't imagine outside of our audience it's going to be much higher.
Speaker 3: Although Worth pointing out that Matt.
Speaker 1: Earlier this week did say it's growing in places like Brazil in South Korea where they have good internet and a strong gaming culture and they just kind of get this. So maybe the long game here really is still in play, but it probably has to be a very long game, and they're spending a lot of money on data centers in the mean one meantime, all.
Speaker 3: Right, with that out of the way, let's do this, LEXI, Do you.
Speaker 1: Have anything you want to tell people where they can find you on the internet, What you have going on all that good stuff.
Speaker 2: Yes, I've been super busy with games, calm stuff. All of my most of my previews will be going up on Shack News. So far, I have like five up. There's going to be seven by the end of today. I am rising like four more that are embargoed until sometime next week, and I have a few others after that. If you are going to seek out any of them, I would highly recommend checking out my interview with Suda fifty one. That dude is awesome. It was really good talking to him about how he goes about like crediting his team and getting everyone because he put like the credits for the whole team in the trailer for Roma was a dead Man, and he was like, Yeah, I want everyone to get the time to like talk about how cool they're workers, and he is a really nice guy. He also told me which wrestler he would feature in one of his video games if he could, because we are talking about James Gunn and how James Gunn works with a lot of wrestlers that he likes. And we also talked about if James Gunn did ask him to work on a DC game, what kind of thing would he be interested in doing, and the answer involved black pink. Oh really, yeah, yeah, that would be It's amazing. Actually, yeah, it's it. He wants to make a Batman black and white video game, so based off the anthology comics and then do quote something stupid and put black pink in this for the theme song.
Speaker 3: Villains.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Sudah's great, Suda's very nice guy. James Mountain as well, his translator very very friendly, Andromeo is a dead man. Looks fucking awesome. Really excited for more people to see that game.
Speaker 1: Oh that's good to hear, all right, fantastic. So yeah, people look out for Lexi's coverage of games. Comment's ongoing. Let's see, let's talk about what's happening on Giant Bomb. We have upf is going to be happening here in a little bit. That's happening first at one pm Eastern. It'll be ten am Pacific time. A voicemail dump truck is then happening after that. We had to move it from Thursday because we had a bunch of the folks out. That'll be at three pm Eastern, so look out for that. Let's see here upf we're gonna probably have a bunch of stuff for trying. A couple of things. I want to do that that mage game where you have to like use your voice to cast spells. That looks pretty dumb, but maybe we'll try that Sonic Crossworlds demo as well.
Speaker 2: Pick the pepper grinder, Yes, we'll get the pepperder.
Speaker 3: All right. With all that out of the way, we should wrap up the week with the Bomb twelve.
Speaker 1: Every buddy, Sean's going to get it up up on the screen for you right now so you can see what the bomb twelve is for the week of August twenty ninth. Let me see here. I want to take a look at it myself. I have it right over here in my figma. All right, the bomb twelve starting with number twelve, sort of the sea once again on the Bomb twelve after last week dropped a little bit, but it's still hanging on there at number twelve. There was a lot of movement this week, so impressive to be able to hang on Street Rider six looks like it's going to be a perennial hit on here. It's at number eleven. The Rogue Prince of Persia was able to crack its way into the Bomb twelve for the first time. At number ten, Abiotic Factor number nine, that's one that I've seen kind of bubbling up each week. LEXI, you know, I went into one point oh recently. I think that's what happened, and people are checking in on that. I've been meaning to go back.
Speaker 2: I have not.
Speaker 3: Have you checked out Abiotic Factor?
Speaker 2: I haven't. I played a bunch of Little Prince of Persia the other night, though, and that game is a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: People seem to have really come around on the Rogue Prince of Persia. I think of the response in early Access with kind of muted sounds like they really got it together recently. Number eight is Final Fantasy fourteen, Number seven is World of Warcraft. Number six is Clear Obscure Expedition thirty three. That's relatively low for that game. I think it's the lowest it's ever been, and that's because there again a lot of movement. Number five was Death Stranding two. Number four was Hell Divers two, and that means number three new game Meadow Gear, Solid Delta Snake Eater. It was able to get its way on this list in its first week. There's a chance that once more people have like get their hands on it because it's out out now.
Speaker 2: Fat it was only actually released today. It was early access up until.
Speaker 1: Now exactly, so expected to do even better next week. Number two is Hollow Night. That's not Silk Song, that's just standard Hollow Night. Silk Song's got a lot of people going back to this one. I'm not surprised to see it here, Lexi. I've you know, I see people lugging on to games on Steam or on the switch in all week it was this Hollow.
Speaker 3: Night, that person Hollow Night, this third person Hollow Night. A lot of people playing that game.
Speaker 2: I'm not.
Speaker 3: Number one.
Speaker 1: Donkey Kong Bananza still hanging on there at number one. It has continued to be the number one game for the entire run of the Bomb twelve so far. Again, I still think there's a chance Delta knocks.
Speaker 3: It off, but it probably won't be until next week. We'll see.
Speaker 2: And that's the bookby Go play Shanobi.
Speaker 3: It's very good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hope, I hope Schanobi actually cracks its way on here next week. Shanobi is one that I think will get some word of mouth. I'm glad you like it as well. I keep asking everyone you know, Jesse and I saw some other reviews had some issues with the platforming.
Speaker 3: Have you had any troubles with the platforming or what?
Speaker 2: I only got my code last night because I asked for switch code, and so I'm sorry. Yes, yeah, it seems drawn fine on Switch even though it's switched one version. It definitely wants better than Ninja Gaiden did. But no, the platforming seems fine from what I've played so far.
Speaker 3: Let me see if I got a Let me take a look at the list here real quick.
Speaker 1: Just to wrap things up, there was three people who voted for Nine Kings, which is a game. I've been hearing about it, but I've still not checked out, so we'll see. Kirby in the Forgotten World had one vote, but I think that'll go up next week.
Speaker 3: Actually, now that that DLC is out.
Speaker 1: Let's see here, I'm trying to see if there's any other ones that are interesting that only got one vote.
Speaker 3: Grand Turismo three A Spec had one.
Speaker 1: Nice's yeah, y'all hare Tiic plus Hexan, some people playing that, one person playing I Racing. Let's see a couple votes for is this seat? Take in Lives of p Mafia the Old Country had four or five people.
Speaker 3: Give it a vote. We had about, let's.
Speaker 1: See, seven hundred respondents this week, so a lot of different games on here. Merge Maestro did fall off, but it still had a decent showing on here from a handful of people still playing that. And Yeah, that's gonna do it. For the Bomb twelve, we'll do another one next Friday. If you want to have your go to giant bomb dot com. I'll post a blog post that will have a link at the bottom to the new form where you can vote and have your say, and we'll get the results.
Speaker 3: I'll collate that all for the end of next week. All right, LEXI, thank you so much for hanging out with me today and talk about video games. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Anytime anytime, well, I say anytime, I'm going to be in Japan for three weeks, so might not be as available then, but I'll find a replacement for myself. I'll find someone that you can draft.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you could send someone my way.
Speaker 2: That sounds good, my medical joker.
Speaker 3: Oh no.
Speaker 1: Thank you everybody for watching and listening. You are the best audience in gaming. Until next time, have a good one, take care of yourself, and goodbye.