Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: It's a popular podcast.
Speaker 1: A panel of judges of guys, of comics, of big names, and you get a minute, You do your stand up for a minute, and you either you kill it or you get killed is essentially the whole bit. I had never heard this podcast before I saw it on Netflix. It was pitched to me. I started watching it. They have a Donald Trump comedian thereon Gillis uh huh, does very well.
Speaker 2: I watched that right before I went to bed, and then I woke up.
Speaker 1: I'm listening to the news and I'm listening to Trump's comments at that dinner last night, and I was conflating the two because they were not that far different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was pretty funny.
Speaker 3: Those people that do his do an impression of the president. They're really good freaking nail it. And I've heard in an interview with the guy who does it, Justin Austin, Tom Justin something Something, whatever's name is that does it on Saturday Night Live, and he described how he does it, like what are the what are the key things that he does to do an impression of Donald Trump, and you've when you listen to him, it's so easy, like he just boils it down to the simple things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but oh my gosh, that I was dying from that guy. He was the funniest thing last night on that Kill Tony. And I looked at the reviews. Apparently everyone who likes kill Tony hated the Netflix thing for a couple of reasons. Number one, Netflix is obviously trying to cater to a conservative comedy group. And number two, it's behind a paywall, and it was a week show of Kill Tony. It wasn't the best of the best. And and then all the liberals hate it because now this uh, this conservative comedy hours infiltrated their Netflix queue, and it's just it's a It's it's everything I hate about politics infiltrating something I love in comedy. You know, It's like, it was funny. I had a great time what I watched about an hour of it. Some guys got up there and just bombed. They were awful, and it was uncomfortable, and I loved being uncomfortable. Uncomfortable Tony was roasted a bunch like him or hate him, whatever. Okay, he spoke at one of Trump's rallies, Big deal, who cares? It's comedy For.
Speaker 3: A lot of people, they didn't know who Tony Hinchcliffe was, and did lighten up, lighten up? Well, here was the president last night at that at the dinner.
Speaker 4: And for those of you that want to know the tariffs you've been hearing about, tariffs were taking in almost two billion dollars a day in tariffs, two billion a day. And we're doing very well. And we're doing very well and making I call them tailor deals, not off the rack. These are tailored, highly tailored deals like.
Speaker 1: That com that that cut could have been in the comedy special, right. The other cut that could have been is you wouldn't believe it. I've got people from other countries that are coming in and they're kissing my ass like it's just this is exactly how he talks. The other quote coming out of Trump in the past twenty four hours be cool. He's like lu Wan had a real Housewives retreat. Be cool, don't be like uncool about the tariffs and what's going on on Wall Street. That was his message, Like it's nineteen eighty seven.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he wrote that untruth social just before the market's opened or right after. Right at the beginning of the markets today, he wrote, be cool, Everything is going to work out well. The USA will be bigger and better than ever before. This is a great time to buy, he added two minutes later, stocks have been mixed. I mean, this is kind of the way we're going to have to be able to judge this right now, because this is the first real indicator that we've got. It will take a couple of days and weeks for us to figure out exactly what the tariffs.
Speaker 5: Will be doing. The now right now is been bouncing up and down.
Speaker 3: It's up fifty nine points right now, S and P five hundred Nasdaq also positive territory. The big winner today so far has been gold. Gold has been up about four percent, well over it's approaching that thirty one dollars announce Mark.
Speaker 1: I talked to some money guys last week, and when Trump says in all caps it's a great time to buy, that's not out of the line.
Speaker 2: Of advice that I read about, where.
Speaker 1: If you've got some fresh cash lying around, now may be a time for investment because the media is so negative. Yeah, and I'm not giving advice. I'm just saying when I was reading advice, that's what it said.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I don't know how, but that's the biggest issue is if you've got the money right now to play with a lot of people are looking at it, and even if they do have the money to play with, they're you know, clenching tighter to that money now because of the app the uncertainty, and people are not they're not comfortable putting their money into a market that is uncomfortable. Well so, so last night, nine o'clock our time is when the tariffs went into full effect and China immediately announced retaliatory tariffs. Rise up right now, there is one hundred and four percent rate on Chinese goods coming into the United States and a twenty percent tariff on the European Union.
Speaker 1: We talked about it yesterday. China means business. They're here to play ball. The New York Times wrote it up as a risky game of chicken between the two and that's exactly what we're dealing with. We'll talk about the implications with China and how we could be hurt the most when it comes to things coming from China, like everything the President by the way last night said something about, you know, pharmaceuticals, and I'm like, maybe we got to sit this one out. We should sit this one out because a lot of the pharmaceuticals we rely on every day in this country come from China. Yeah, they come from other places. They come from the places that we have directly put a target on for these terrafts.
Speaker 3: Well, and what he wants is he wants to see those drug shakers make the drugs here in the area.
Speaker 1: You know what that there's a reason why companies moved it all to China. It's a hell of a lot cheaper because they don't have the regulations that we have.
Speaker 3: The one example that everybody's been talking about, we'll get into it as well later is the iPhone. The iPhone ubiquitous in terms of everybody knows somebody who has one. If you don't already have one yourself, are you willing to pay a few thousand dollars opposed to one thousand, a few thousand dollars for something like an iPhone because of these terrorists.
Speaker 5: That's just one of the examples. But all of that's still coming up.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on Demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: Gary and shann and KFI AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Do you want to know what your drag queen name is?
Speaker 5: Didn't know that it was up in the air.
Speaker 1: Do we have any.
Speaker 2: Drag queen music?
Speaker 5: Of course we do?
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 3: Non your dad booty, show me the booty, give me a yeah.
Speaker 1: That's okay, that's the word.
Speaker 2: Not this.
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 1: This is kind of your drag queen song. I can totally see you owning the stage with this. Your grandmother's first name, it's Dixie.
Speaker 2: Last dessert or sweet you ate.
Speaker 5: Maple cookie?
Speaker 1: Dixie, maple cookie, Elmer. I'm going to need your grandmother's name. Just pick one, Flavia and the last dessert or sweet you atechi Flavia Mochi, welcome to the center stage. Wait, we haven't heard everybody else's is ke the okay?
Speaker 2: I need your your grandmother's name.
Speaker 1: Just pick one surely surely last dessert or sweet cake?
Speaker 2: Sureley cake.
Speaker 3: I would add an S to that and call her Shirley Cakes. Listen, I'm just kidding.
Speaker 1: Mine is oh wait, Amy's not there. Mine is anime eminem.
Speaker 3: An eminem oh anime eminem Anime, Eminem and Shirley Cakes headlining.
Speaker 1: I like Flavia Mochi. That's who I'm showing up to see.
Speaker 5: Flavia is definitely the headline.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I can see her right now.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 3: President Trump on Monday announced that we are planning talks with Iran. Right, we're trying to get into and stop there.
Speaker 2: We're blowing them up, is what we're going to do.
Speaker 3: Well, here's here's some evidence that we may be doing both. There are now six B two bombers on Diego, Garcia, exactly what my whole island militarily run by the UK and their friends, and we put a.
Speaker 5: Bunch of ourselves.
Speaker 1: It's going to be the exclamation point. Kids, this is it's gonna be. Oh China, Oh, China is not gonna oh oh okay, all right, well, then we're going to drop bombs on Iran so that they don't have a nuclear weapon.
Speaker 3: Apparently, this is the largest single deployment of B two stealth bombers in the history of the United States since we've had them. Yes, and they forward deploy these six of them. And by the way, they don't I don't know if the hangars are large enough to put them inside. They intentionally park them on the taxiway.
Speaker 5: Big battle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my penis is huge and it's stealthy, super or something like that. China doesn't want to play with it. We will give it to Iran to play with, you know. I mean, this is all I don't.
Speaker 5: Know where you're going with that. I want to.
Speaker 1: This is all related the tariffs, the fact that China won't get involved the show of force against Iran.
Speaker 2: It's all involved.
Speaker 3: China, speaking of, has pushed back against the tariff pop. They've hiked levies on US imports to more than eighty percent. Tariffs on US goods that go into China will go to eighty four percent starting April tenth, that's tomorrow, according to the Office of the Tariff Commission of the State Council in China. This of course, comes in response to the US tariff increase on Chinese goods to more than one hundred percent that began last night. The European Union also voted today to approve its first set of retaliatory measures to counter the terriff imposed by the US on steel and aluminum. The European Commission Commission said that the duties would start being collected from April fifteenth. I wanted to add at least one voice into this, Jamie Diamond from CEO of JP Morgan Chase. He knows a thing or two about money. He has said, Yeah, this could get a lot worse.
Speaker 7: I'm taking a calm view, but I think it could get worse if we don't make some progress here. And of course, you know, trade wars you saw in China. Raise it rate today, you know, and people to get angry, and they're gonna have responses. And every country's got choices, so there are short term choices or long term choices. Let them settle down, take a deep breath, negotiate some trade deals.
Speaker 5: That's the best PA.
Speaker 2: I would love that to happen.
Speaker 1: I would love that all to happen, the settling down, the taking the deep breath. The United States comes out as getting a better deal with everybody globally, US doing better because of it, US bringing manufacturing back to America.
Speaker 2: I just don't think it's feasible.
Speaker 1: I mean, like I said earlier, there's a reason why CEOs have outsourced the manufacturing of goods to places like China, Vietnam, India.
Speaker 2: It's a hell of a lot cheaper. How would you make it cheaper here? You cannot?
Speaker 3: Well, and I just don't think that people have I agree that in general those would all be great things.
Speaker 5: I don't know if we have the appetite to wait for those things.
Speaker 6: We do not.
Speaker 3: And I mean you see that in the stock market again, it's not the wrecked indicator of the strength of the economy, but it is, you know, when people sell off things because they want to, you know, take the money. Now, we're just that's we're bad at We're bad at patients. We not just Americans, I mean we humans. We're just bad at patients.
Speaker 1: Well, and the inherent problem with this plan is that his term lasts four years. Even if we're good with patients, it does not matter. The next regime comes in and they change the game, and then suddenly you've had patience for what to see your your personal net worth go down substantially.
Speaker 5: Right. Here's one more comment from Jamie Diamond from this morning.
Speaker 7: I hope what they really do is let Scott Bessen when he's a professional negotiating. I know, Japan, see I gather, Korea, Vietnam called, and then adventually Europe get those things done quickly if you want to calm down the markets, show progress in those things and let Scott take the time. Trade deals are very large and very complex. They can't be done overnight, but you really have to have teams working them to get them right.
Speaker 3: So again, the one example that's been held up a lot is would you be willing to pay thousands of dollars for your iPhone? Or can you make it in the United States.
Speaker 2: Sure, it'll just cost a hell of a lot more.
Speaker 5: We'll talk about that we come back.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: Garyan Shannon KFI AM six forty Live every yearn to.
Speaker 1: Send me a stupid survey. You know I'm gonna get creative with it.
Speaker 5: iHeartRadio. App is where you find us all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we were talking about the jet Set club in Santo Domingo, packed with musicians and professional athletes, government officials, when the ceiling collapsed just a couple days ago. Minutes later, the entire roof collapse. Concrete slabs that fell killed more than one hundred and thirteen people, trapped dozens of others on a dance floor. I had mentioned and at least one professional baseball player. A former player, Octavio Dotel, who I mentioned, had played for the Cardinals. He won a World Series with the Cardinals, but he played for thirteen other teams, including the Dodgers. So Golf Masters begins tomorrow. Golf coach Matt Thurman was escorted off the practice range this morning at the Masters at Augusta. Do you know why he was wearing shorts? And as a player or coach or caddie, you cannot wear shorts. You should on the course or the practice rung.
Speaker 2: He should know this. It's like the Yankees with facial hair.
Speaker 3: So he's working with this new amateur kid, Hosele Biastaire, I guess for this year's Masters, and he showed up on the practice range to help his buddy out, help his mentee, and the officials that Augusta escorted him off the course till he went to go change his pants. Angels beat the Rais yesterday four to three, four oh five, first pitch there in Tampa. Dodgers lost again to Washington eight to two, so they'll play. They have an afternoon game, so one oh five first pitch for them. We've been talking about the tariffs. Of course, China vowed to fight to the end in this escalating trade war with the United States, and they announced that they would raise tariffs on goods to eighty four percent starting tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Some people are visiting Apple stores this week they want to get an upgrade on their iPhone before the prices of the iPhones rise. China, obviously, is where Apple produces the bulk of its iPhones. Insert sweatshop stupid joke here. With Trump increasing the minimum tariff on Chinese goods to one hundred and four percent, this will drive up the cost of Chinese made goods in the United States, which is pretty much I don't want to say everything, but it's Chinese made goods. Are you abiquitous? And the iPhone is just a really great example of one. The thing with the iPhone, I don't understand why it's such a talking point with this is it's something that you buy and then you've bought it. It's not something you buy every week. It's not the stuff at the grocery store. It's not the reoccurring costs of the things from China that we're going to be buying hell of a lot more than the iPhone. You buy a new Well, I buy a new iPhone, and then I wait several years before I buy the next one. I will buy the next one in the next administration, probably, So that's not gonna that's.
Speaker 5: Not gonna effect you because you and I are the same way.
Speaker 3: And that I I'm not getting rid of that thing for a long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the new iPhone doesn't come out and I go, I have to get it. I have to pay one thousand dollars to get something that has a better camera.
Speaker 2: Like, that's just not how I live.
Speaker 1: I know that people do live that way, But there's so much other stuff from China that's gonna hurt every day every week starting now.
Speaker 3: Well, and I think it's it's because it is a significant piece of technology. It's not a piece of plastic that we're getting from China. It's something that is an example of how complicated international manufacturing has become. So Fox Cohn makes the iPhones, They assemble the iPhones. They employ about three hundred thousand people in iPhone City. It's a place called Jengzhu, China. And Apple, knowing that this tariff thing was down was coming down the pike, they had said they would be outsourcing some of their phone assemblies to India, which has its own manufacturing workforce already in place and ready to go. If you were to do this in the United States, and again that's part of what the pressure is is to get manufacturing back into the United States. That kind of internationally sourced parts and pieces that go into a product like an iPhone would mean you would have to have similar set up here in North America. For example, about forty different parts and pieces from the iPhone come from different countries. Most of the complex and the specialized pieces come from about a half a dozen countries, and.
Speaker 5: Those are made in or near China.
Speaker 3: China's close to Taiwan, South Korea, Japan, where some of the other big important pieces come from. The only realistic path to an assembly line here in the United States is to reconstruct the supply chain by shifting some of the components out of Asia into North America, Canada, Mexico, something like that, and even northern Europe. But that's difficult. That doesn't just happen automatically. It's taken decades for that supply chain to develop into China. It would take arguably as much time maybe to redevelop here if the United States was to kind of be the key for all of it. The other thing is it would require a dramatic increase in the amount of manufacturing jobs here in the United States. I mentioned that there's about three hundred thousand that live and work in this iPhone city, this jiang Zhu, China that work for Fox con Hiring is one of the biggest problems that we face here in the United States. There's a skills gap. In twenty seventeen, Tim Cook said the incentive to build in China wasn't the fact that it was cheap labor. Tim Cook said, it's that it's advanced tooling and that the United States you could have a meeting of tooling engineers and they couldn't fill a room. In China, you could fill football stadiums with people who know how to engineer the.
Speaker 5: Team as it would be required.
Speaker 2: We know this.
Speaker 3: So all of this thing then it takes mountains of money. Not only do you have to have the jobs, you have to have the parts. You have to have the money to just build a facility somewhere. Where are you going to put that? In China, they have a city, They literally have us yep that they build this stuff and we don't have the place for it.
Speaker 1: So it's why we ride. It's a small world. Different lands bring us different things. You know, I'm not going to go to China for for a hot dog. I'm not going to go to the side of garlic fries. That's that is a brilliant analogy. Thank you, Thank you very much. You've seen land Man. This headline reminded me of land Man. Oh Mexico warrens against potential US drone strikes on cartels.
Speaker 2: Could you imagine that? I wouldn't. I don't think that's a bridge too far either.
Speaker 5: It's not. It's not too far away from reality. Right.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about what the likelihood that will be that the US would deploy drones against the cartels there at the border.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI ams stories.
Speaker 1: We're following for you today and we continue to check up on Wall Street. Another volatile day. Stocks have been lower, have been up and down since then, per usual. A China announcing an additional fifty percent in retaliatory tariffs on US imports today in response to the one hundred and four percent tariffs on Chinese imports announced overnight.
Speaker 3: The president of Iran has again said what We're not trying to get a nuclear bomb US. This, of course, coming ahead of talks between Tehran and the United States, eve entangled the prospect of direct American investment in Iran if they can reach some kind of a deal. This President Makmood Poseshkian said that this is not the previous stance from Iran after the twenty fifteen nuclear deal at the time. Back then, Iran sought to buy American airplanes, but in effect barred US companies from coming into the country, such that business proposal could now draw the interest of President Trump.
Speaker 5: We shall see how it goes.
Speaker 1: On Saturday, there are reports the Trump administration is considering drone strikes against cartels. The Mexican President Claudia Sinbaum has reiterated her strong opposition to anything of the sort. She told reporters today, we do not agree with any kind of intervention or interference. This has been very clear, very sensitive topic, as you can imagine. They say that it has been talked about in the current administration aerial strikes on cartel targets, and that the administration is prepared to act unilaterally if Washington cannot secure Mexican support, why wouldn't it. That is the way that this administration likes to operate unilaterally.
Speaker 2: I will just do it. We don't want to wait for the okay, what is it? Ask forgiveness and not permission.
Speaker 1: Yesterday, NBC News sited six current and former US of officials saying that Trump is weighing drone strikes to crack down on the narcotics that have streamed across the border.
Speaker 3: There is an agreement in place. What I don't quite understand is what Claudia Scheinbaum. What is Claudia Shinbaum's view on Mexican drug cartels.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a very delicate relationship between the powers that be in Mexico and the cartels. Look no further than al Chapo and what he was able to do for governmental figures and the community as well. I mean, they are you think our government's in bed with the FDA and the pharmaceutical companies. This is a government that's in bed with the cartels. It's a dangerous trip wire exercise in terms of surgically going after the cartels without going after the Mexican government.
Speaker 3: But there is an agreement in place right now to a stepped up military surveillance and CIA surveillance flights over Mexico in an attempt to gather information about what the cartels are and what they're doing. And I don't know enough about that agreement. I would hope that that would include intelligence sharing, not just from what we get sharing with Mexico, but what Mexico has and knows that they would share with us.
Speaker 1: Mexico's not going to share anything. Mexico cares about money. Mexican government cares about money they get from the cartels. That's why there's so much poverty. The government doesn't care about the people in Mexico, and they certainly don't care about sharing anything with us.
Speaker 3: There's a guy who is a professor of government at Cornell, Gustavo Flores Masius. He said the Mexican government would face if there were drone strikes, the Mexican government would face tremendous domestic pressure to respond in the strongest possible terms, including severing diplomatic relations with the United States and collapsing bi national cooperation on migration, security and other topics. That to me is an how could you possibly do that? They in terms of the share of geography that we have with Mexico.
Speaker 1: This is the administration liking the idea of sending drones to take out cartels. It's very Saturday Morning cartoon. It's very cool sounding. Let's send in the drones and that way we can say we're fighting the drugs flowing across the border. But when you get into what that all means, like what you were just saying, it gets very much more complicated than just a showing of air power.
Speaker 3: There was a when Claudia Scheinbaum took office. It was a strict departure from President Manuel. A lot of names, too many names, many of I think I got three out of the six. Yeah, he talked about hugs not bullets, and that's always a great slogan, mean bloone. She at least was able to drop that and has a sort of backbone to her when it comes to fighting these cartels.
Speaker 2: Well it's not hugs.
Speaker 3: Well, there's an awful story that has been bubbling in the valley in this valley, San Fernando Valley that reached up into the Antalope Valley as well. This soccer coach who is now accused of killing a thirteen year old soccer kid. There has been a history of abuse.
Speaker 2: To which the question comes to mind right away.
Speaker 1: Why was he free? Why was he in this country? Why was he allowed to continue coaching kids. We'll get into that history when we come back to Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 5: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and any time on demand on the iHeartRadio app.