Speaker 1: This show is produced and hosted by Mark Webber. The show is sponsored by G three Aparo. I views expressed in the following program are those of the sponsor and not necessarily the opinion of seven tenor or iHeartMedia. Who is Mark Weber. He's a self made business executive here to help you find your success from the New York City projects to the Avenue Montaigne in Paris. His global success story in the luxury world of fashion is inspirational. He's gone from clerk to CEO twice. Mark his classic proof that the American dream is alive and well, here's your host of always in Fashion, Mark Weber.
Speaker 2: Mark Weber. You always need an out, You need an escape route. You always need options, You need choices. You always need a plan, and you need another course of action if that plan doesn't work out. In life, you need an exit strategy. In business, it's all about managing money, and most money is tied up an inventory. Inventory having the right stuff at the right time. Inventory might be product, it might be people, could be ideas. Managing the use of inventory is critical for maximizing your profit. If there's a problem, it's there for controlling the extent of your losses. The risk takers are gamblers. The best of them are well educated, experienced navigators that rely on data and the information at hand. A conservative investor in inventory will never grow as large as the risk taker, but the road taken might be a lot less bumpy for both of them. The same information is on hand to make decisions. Just approach is different either way. Business is fraught with choices navigated by the best intentions, and it has been proven making sure you don't have too much inventory of that which does not sell wins. Too much of a miss against what you think the people want, loses loses and loses. In a fashion world, you need an exit strategy. I'm reminded often that it's not what you sell at times that helps you keep your profitces what you choose not to sell. Having too much inventory or surplus will kill any business. Fashion, not like fine wine, doesn't improve with age. You design it, you manufacture it, you sell it, you ship it, then display it for sale. Then pretty much you cross your fingers and you hope you guess right. Think about automobiles, too many choices, too many models, too many colors, too many of the wrong items on the lot will not sell. It was never easy. Gauging people's wants and needs and preferences. Anticipating their wallets today tougher than ever. Combustion engines yeay, Hybrids okay? Electric yikes? How do you know? How do you know? If you're a dealership? How many to buy of each let alone? What colored to buy? Now? Jaguar, one of my favorite car companies, closed their company for two years and it's now set to re emerge as a luxury all electric company in twenty twenty six. All I have to say is good luck with that. You want the truth, you can't handle the truth. We're not ready for electric. The decision making is deadly. Jaguar and automobile companies, they need an exit strategy. Business needs a what if? Business needs an exit strategy. Life and business in this regard go hand in hand. You need a plan, we need options or alternatives. We need the facts, and you'll always need an off rep and that offramp is an exit strategy. I live in an apartment. Someone has to hold an exis set of keys for me in case I get locked out A check into a hotel. What's the first thing I do you ever think about when you check into a hotel. What's the first thing you do? Well me, I opened my door. I look for the exit signs. I look for the stairways. God forbid, I need to escape or get out. I need to know where those exits are. In money, we all learned you can't put all your eggs in one basket. If you haven't learned it before COVID. You need canned food just in case, bottled water just in case. If all fails, you got it covered. If you're a homeowner, if you can afford it, you get a generator. I remember the first time I had a blackout. I had a generator kicked on. You'd never know I was without power because I wasn't. I looked out the window down the block, and I said, is this only happening to me? The whole block was out. The power goes down, The lights in the neighbors are out except for yours. You had an exit strategy. In business, you can't exist with one customer. People change. You have a new buyer. It doesn't like you, it doesn't like your products. He walks away. What do you do? Close your doors? You're done? No, no, no, You have to have alternatives. Eat an exit strategy tonight, I'm taking this exit, this exit ramp, this exist strategy, my Laura co host, my son Jesse Weber.
Speaker 3: Hey, Hey, I am impressed by this conversation. I like this conversation. I gotta I gotta give you credit on this one. You just came it up. You come up with interesting ideas to talk about. You know, look, the big heads, the big talk show heads, they always just talk about what's happening in the news. I always say, you take creative content. You have to come up with something original. I like this one. I'm gonna give you credit for it.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you. I guess I'm not just a pretty face. Even though I'm obnoxious.
Speaker 3: We're going back to that one. You can't get rid of that one. One person thinks you're Well, let me say, I was gonna say, one person thinks you're obnoxious and you can't get over it. I can't. I can't say there's not other people who probably think you're obnoxious and just haven't vocalized it. But one person has come forward officially and called you obnoxious and you can't get over it.
Speaker 2: Well, you didn't really defend me either there or either just now again I'm sensitive.
Speaker 3: Em mister, I don't like humans. You should care less.
Speaker 2: It's not that I care. I don't care. But if I'm going to put time and effort into something, I want to be rewarded with appreciation.
Speaker 3: Look, we buy and large get relatively no negative comments on this show. We get a lot of accolades. The majority of people who talk to us, who send us messages, it's all positive. So cheer up or give up. You want to talk exit strategy, do something else if you're unhappy.
Speaker 2: Anyway. Okay, you know, daddy, you're not obnoxious. You're a good guy.
Speaker 3: Is that would that make you feel better? You're not obnoxious, you're a good guy. You're a good guy. Don't let listen. You want to talk about something, you want to talk about negative comments. I get the comparisons people have made about my appearance on social media, on YouTube. You could cry. People make fun of me all the time. They hate the things. Oh my gosh. One So I think the funniest thing that ever happened was during COVID. I was doing a lot of shows. You had to do home shows from home. There was no studio, so I was home and no one was getting a haircut and I had a little bit of a stubble, and somebody wrote, man, Jesse looks like nos man. This guy looks like he's been on a three day Bender's so bad. Some guy, some guy I had makeup on.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: I was on TV and they put a little bit too much makeup on and they did a side by side comparison between me and a an orange with teeth.
Speaker 2: It was like Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: Like a cartoon character. It was bad. And then you know, people say all terrible things about me when they don't like what I have to say. But listen, you gotta have thick skin.
Speaker 2: I do, generally speaking, but I haven't gotten over from that yet. And you were very kind to me. Your reaction last week was all the reasons why I'm noxious. So I'm gonna move on anyway.
Speaker 3: Tonight's show, Well, all says allot I'll say is this. Look when you talk about exit strategy, right, one thing I'll say about that, wouldn't you be the first to say, before you run, before you split, you should try and win by being excellent, Right, wouldn't you say that?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 3: Look, I think I think you're great at this. Uh, even if you are obnoxious. Which I don't think you are. But even if someone thinks you're obnoxious doesn't mean you're not great at what you do here.
Speaker 2: Even if I am, I'm not. Never mind, I'm getting up the subject anyway, even if I am, I'm not. Okay, Thanks, listen, Mommy and I went outfl way to make sure you had an exit strategy, and you executed it brilliantly.
Speaker 3: So wait, wait, wait, it's almost like the Godfather, right. You had a conversation with my father about my future. You had a conversation about my future with my mother.
Speaker 2: But no, I can't talk to you, mommy about your future. Who can?
Speaker 3: And of course, look, I here's what happened. Here's what happened. I was I was a very good student in high school. First year of college I slacked off. I slacked off terribly.
Speaker 2: It was bad.
Speaker 3: It was really bad. And I knew I had to shape up or ship out, and.
Speaker 2: So I really really slack off. Or college was so different. You don't know how to navigate.
Speaker 3: I think I was a part of I was on my own. I didn't know how to navigate. I didn't I just didn't. I was having too much fun. I was so bad my first year, I never went to the library. And so you kind of like you and Mommy made it very clear. You said, this is a great opportunity not a lot of people get. You made it to this school. I went to the University of Michigan. Don't squander it. And it woke up at me. I worked incredibly hard from then on out, and I didn't know what I was going to do. And I didn't want to go to law school. I was, I would say, forced to go to law school. But you and Mommy had a very very good vision. It was, you can take this legal degree. You don't have to be a lawyer, but it will help you throughout whatever you do. And I followed that vision. I followed that.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, you had no idea what you You had no idea what you wanted to do. At least we gave you a path.
Speaker 3: That's true. That's true, you gave me a path. I was a little I wanted to do business in college, and then I took accounting and I realized that was like Chinese to me. So I couldn't figure that out. But no, but we went to law school. It was the best decision. You and Mommy were right because it allowed me to do an entry point into everything that I'm doing right now. So your path, you and Mommy's path, was the right decision, and it was a great exit strategy, or it was executed brilliantly as you say, so, thank you.
Speaker 2: How about you, I've got a great strategy. I've got an exit strategy for me. What got me thinking about this, I'll tell you. The other day I watched the movie Casablanca, great movie, and I was thinking. I watched the end. In the end, hey Louis, this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship. And I'll never forget that line. In fact, when I was very young, thirteen years old, I got pneumonia. And in those days, when you got pneumonia, you went to the hospital, except in my case, my mother wouldn't send me to the hospital. We had a doctor. He would come every day to visit me, take care of me, and they kept me home. But for three months all I did was watch movies and read books. I became an avid reader when I was thirteen years old to change my life. I read novels, I read all kinds of books, and when I got back to school, I was a reader. It was amazing. But I also watched every movie that it was ever done, and I never forgot Castablanca. I loved it. I thought it was great. Humphrey Bogart, Rick Ilfsea amazing movie. But he always had a back door the visa strategy to get out of town if he had to, which got me thinking about exit strategy this week, and I started to think about this in general. I had one of the most important situations in my life when I worked for PVH. I was a young guy. I grew up in the ranks. I had so many different assignments. I excelled it mostly all of them, and the twenty five assignments later, and thirty years later, my boss walks into my office and he says to me quietly, I'm going to retire. I said, no, you're not. We're having too much fun. This is finally where we want to be. You're to see I'm the president. You're going to retire. He says, I had enough. I'm going to retire. I started top with this nonsense, and he looked at me and said, this is not nonsense. Mark, I'm going to retire. I said, well, for the record, I don't believe you. We have it too good. You don't work all that hard. Me and our other guy who pulling the heavyweights for you. Right now, you're not retire, he said, I'm going to retire and I'm going to make you CEO. And I said to him, you know, I've been here for a long time. I've been the president of the company for seven years. I've been on the board for those same seven years. And tell you the truth, I don't ever feel good about the board. I don't feel they loved me. I never did feel they loved me. I never felt that they would give me your job. She said, well, they're going to give you your job. It's going to take some work. They have the right to interview everyone there is in the world and decide who, in fact, would be the best CEO for this company. I know that you are the person. I know. I've worked with you all these years. I know how special you are. I know that you can do the job, and it's the right decision for the company. And if I have to convince some other board members who may not agree, I'm going to do it. But you're going to become the next CEO. So I remember thinking about it. I went home and talked to my wife about it, and they said, you know, there's no way they're going to make me CEO. And she said, if your boss says he's going to do it, he's going to do it. Mark he never lets you down and he's never wrong. Said, okay, you may be right. So I started going through the process. At the times, there was a new regulation called Sarbanes Oxley. It's either two congressmen or two senators or somebody. They put together a focus on making sure companies did the right thing. The banking situation in early years destroyed a lot of companies, destroyed the banking system, and they wanted to make sure that all the regulations were in place. The doutch your eyed, cross your t's, and the company started interven you for the position of CEO. And it was really really peculiar. What made it mostly peculiar is I had been there my whole career. They knew everything about me, They saw me, they knew me. I didn't know whether they were stalling or not. At one point I heard that they were interviewing people on the outside, and now I got really upset. I didn't want to be involved in a beauty contest. I don't want to be sitting there and find out one day they made a decision to hire someone else and I'm stuck. Now, what lessons do you take out of this? Maybe some maybe know, but I tell you what. In my career, I've done some smart things, and this might have been one of the best, if not the best, for me. I started to think about my exit strategy. What would happen if, in fact I couldn't be the CEO my boss goes off into the sunset. We were words and music. We had the greatest relationship in the history of business. We complimented each other. We could have done each other's jobs. He was smarter than me, I'll grant him that, but I also had something to contribute. But we were great. And I said to myself, if he leaves and I haven't become CEO, what's going to be of me? I'd have to work for some stranger after all this time, I'm gonna have to convince him that I'm a good guy, that I'm a capable guy. I wanted no part of that. I couldn't believe that I'd have to do that. And the reality is I worked hard enough long enough successful enough that I said to myself that if my CEO left and I wasn't to become the CEO, I wanted to walk away with dignity. And I asked to see my boss and I sat down with him and I said to him, look, I'm really worried about you retiring. First of all, I think you're out of your mind. We're having too good of a time. Our performance is extraordinary. Were covering and doing everything we said we do. Why do you want to leave? Suse I'm young and I want to try something else while i'm young. I said, well, I respect that, but here's what's a problem. If you walk away and they don't make me CEO, I don't want to be here. And I coined the term right then and there. I want to walk away in the sunset with you. I want the opportunity to walk away, and I want to be paid for my serverance because I'm going to stick around. In fact, I'm prepared to stick around forever as long as you're the CEO. But after all this time, I want the opportunity to walk away. And let's call it a sunset contract. He said, Look, I hear you. I don't understand why you have a problem. If you don't get CEO, just don't behave act poorly, make it unpleasant. They'll fire you and get everything you're entitled to. And I remember how angry I got it him. I started to scream. I said, I'm here for thirty years, I've been on the board for seven I've done everything right. My career has been impeccable, and you're telling me, after the service I've given this company, if I'm not given a job that I think I was trained and groomed for, I can't leave the company with diggnity. What are you out of your freaking mind? I didn't use the word freaking, but he said, whoa, you know, calm down, let me see what I could do. And he went and he met with the compensation committee, and over the course of time they started to talk. I met with the compensation committee and I told him how serious I was. Look, i'm here, I'm your number two. I've been his number two for seven years. As long as I was here, you never had to worry. You knew where we were going as a company. Now the CEO's leaving, I am the logical choice. You don't want to make me CEO. Then I don't want to stay with you. You don't love me. I don't love you, but I am prepared to stay if you make me the CEO, or I am prepared to stay for as long as he stays. That gives you a sense of security that you've always had, and I'll continue to give to you. And to my luck, to my luck, to my great fortune, maybe to the fact that I was smart. The Board of directors granted me what I called the Sunset contract, that if in fact my boss just that one person left and they didn't make me CEO, I would get the full bennets of my contract and I could execute walk away into the Sunset with dignity. And that was my exit strategy. Now lo and behold months to my surprise when the interviewing was done, when the anger subsided of me. When I would have these meetings with one on one with board members, I said, the questions you're asking me are ridiculous. I've been here forever. I'm an open book. You saw me sit on the board for seven years, You've heard me speak. I shouldn't be requiring. They were very kind, and they said, we understand, but we have to do diligence. I then found out that they were interviewing other people and I was pissed. So I went back to my board. I now have my Sunset contract and I said, there, my boss, listen, if this company's going to do a beauty search, you're going to tell me it's Sarbaine's Oxley. That's nonsense. You're allowed to name a CEO from inside who you know as well as you know me. I want to walk away. I'm in Barras. If you guys don't love me, I'll walk away. You'll retire. I'll give you some time. I'll train the new guy, but then I'm walking away. Tell you that right now, either end the beauty contest or I'm out of here once again. I don't know if I'm lucky. I don't know if I'm smart. I often say I don't know whether I'm smart. That's for others to decide. I know I'm well trained and it all helped me well. And in the end, the boy gave me the chance to be the CEO, and I had my exit strategy, which was the point of tonight's show, and that one was about me. When we come back, I want to talk to you about the company back in a moment.
Speaker 1: Always in fashion.
Speaker 2: Dona Karen began her career as one of the finest, most successful, powerful women in the fashion industry. She developed a collection aimed at the luxury market for women on the go, women who were powerful in their workplace, women who had lives that extended beyond the workplace, and went from day in tonight an extraordinary collection. But the interesting thing Donna Karen had a young daughter, and she had friends and they couldn't afford to buy the Donna Karen collection, and Donna invented dk NY Donna Aaron, New York. It's an offshoot of the Donna Karen collection. The same concept a lifestyle brand. Then we talk about lifestyle brands. What does that really mean? Simply what they say, there are brands that follow you throughout your lifestyle. You get up in the morning, you start to get dressed. Donna Karen decaan why as intimate apparel, as hosiery, as all those products. You're getting dressed for work. You get accessorized shoes, handbags, and it takes you through the day. The remarkable thing about dk andy clothes for work. They work into the evening, the dresses, the suits, the pants, the sweaters, the blouses, extraordinary clothes at affordable prices that go from day in tonight. Part of your lifestyle is active. You have weekends, you have events, you participate in sports. Donna ca Arent's casual clothes did that under the dk and Y label. A vast array of casual sportswear that make women look great as they navigate their busy lives. Whether you're going to soccer games for your children, or whether you're going out to the movies. Whatever you want to do, dk and Y genes dk Y sportswear is there for you. That's what a lifestyle brand is. I need to mention DKY active Wear, which is extraordinary, the leggings, the sports bras, the sweats. You can wear DKY active Wear certainly in the gym, certainly when you're working out at home, and certainly if you want on the street because it's that well done. The quality of dk Y is nothing short of exceptional. And why shouldn't it be Because it was born from the idea of luxury made affordable for women of America. DKY and Wire a true lifestyle brand that takes you from day and tonight from the week into the Weekend DCN why you can find DCNHY and Macy's DKNY dot com. As one of the world's most celebrated fashion designers, Carl Lagafeld was renowned for his aspirational and cutting edge approach to style. His unique vision of Parisian shit comes to America through car Lagofeld Paris. He has women's collections, men's collections, ready to wear, accessory shoes and bags. The fashion house Carlagofeld also offers a range of watches, I wear and premium fragrances. You can explore the car Lagovil collection at car Lagofelparis dot com. But it's more than that. I have for one, love to shop. I love going around and seeing what's happening and what catches my attention, what would make me feel good to wear Now. I don't wear the women's wear obviously, but I can appreciate it and they look amazing. If you want to look right, you want to have clothes that fits you well. You want to look like you're wearing something that's very expensive, that's exclusive for you, you and yours. You can find it at very affordable prices at Macy's Orcarlagofel dot com Paris. The women's ready to wear fashion is extraordinary, as well as the handbigs and the shoes. I, for one, wear men's clothes, unlike my appreciation of women's clothes. I'm a modern guy. I want to look current, I want to look the way I want to feel. I go out at night, I'm in black and Carl Lagafel is my buddy. Calls are great, they fit great, and they have little tweaks and touches, whether it's a stripe on the sleeve or button at the neck or on the shoulder. There's a lot of details that go into Carlagafel because he's always been, he always had been one of the world's great designers, and this legacy and goes on and on. I can't speak enough about it except to say to you, you want to feel good about yourself. You want to know that you're dressing properly. You want to clothes that fits you well. Carl Lagafeld Paris at Macy's Orcarlagafel dot com.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to it Always in Fashion. Here's your host, Mark Hover.
Speaker 2: Tonight, I'm talking about exit strategy. We all need what f's you have a plan that doesn't go well, what do you do? You always need an out, You need an escape route. You need some kind of vision of where you're going. And if you can't get to where you're going, what are you going to do next? Give up? In life? Same thing, There's always ups and downs. You always need a plan, you need an out. My wife told me that when we were very young. We need an exit strategy. You need a plan. You always need to get out. My favorite example of all I said before, if I go into a hotel room, most people look at the bathroom, look at the condiments that they left behind, look for the chocolate, see if the bed is so off the pillows. Not me. I walk into a hotel room and I look at it real quick. I know whether I like it or not. But I open the door and I look for the exits. I want to know where the stairwells are. For God forbid, I have to go out. So that's what I'm thinking about tonight, having an exit strategy, and a couple of questions and lessons learned. This one first one I want to give this about style. I at one time was a shirt expert, and I was around when they started coming out what we're called fitted shirts or taped shirts or slim fit shirts. Everybody had a different name for them, and it was a new invention because up until that point, all the shirts that were made had generous fit. The idea of a tapered waist or a loose shirt was just the fashion in the rage and over the history of time there was always shirts that were just wider and bigger. And now a guy named Henry Grethel, I'll give him a call out. Henry Grethel, I admired him as the president of Manhattan Shirt Company, came out with a collection of shirts called Henry Grethel and they were amazing. They were very fitted, tapered for the day and age. They came in a very small package and they became incredibly important. And they Manhattan Shirt with the Henry Grethel label were the only ones doing it. They had the world by storm. I'll take a minute to think about it. I think Heidi Slimane, famous guy was at the yor was at Eve's Son Lauran. He put the Cint Lauran instead of Eve Saint Lauran. Actually, he is credited with inventing the slim fit sit now. Could you imagine any company today without a slim fit suit. You can't. One of the great men's pant companies in the world, I'll give you two of them, whether it's Stockers or Hagars. They're aimed at men, all sizes, ages and a price point. They have slim fit pants and they have generous foot pants. Everybody has a different point of view without one or the other. Could you imagine what those companies would be like? Which brings me back to shirts. Henry Grethel Manhattan Shirt comes out with slim fit shirts and becomes fifteen percent of the business. Everyone else is lacking behind. It was fashioned forward. They had great looks, great fit, great colors, great everything, and left everyone behind. So everyone, like myself at van Usen, like the Arrow Shirt Company, like everyone who was out there making shirts, every designer shirt came out with a slim fit line. And I'll never forget as I watched the designers and all these companies, they took all the energy, all the excitement, all the newness and put it in slim fit. And I remember at the time talking to the heads of sales, and I was talking. I wasn't a big shot then, I say, I'm worried because we're being directed to put all the great stuff in the fitted line, and you're forgetting the full cut line. What's that going to look like. I'll come back to them in a minute. Lessons learned many years later, I am running a shirt company. It's part of what I'm responsible for running. I had a CEO and I was corporately responsible for Thomas Pink, the British shirt company made in Germany Street in London. They too had a beautiful full cut business. They built the entire business on it. And then they came out with slim Fit and they started pouring all the great designs, all the fashion into slim Fit, and I said time out. I remember meeting with Jonathan Heilbron, the CEO, British guy. I loved him. He's a great guy. Him and I worked really really well together. In fact, there's a lesson learned. When I first met him, I said to him, look, Elvi Image brought me in. You report to me. We don't know each other and we have to get along. I want to make a deal with you. I want to be able to say anything I want to say to you about design, about processing, operation and you not take it personally. I'm going to let you make your own choice unless I have something that I feel very strongly about that I can't live without changing. But basically that's not going to happen. I want to tell you, without any difficulty, I don't want to be uncomfortable anything, And in turn, I want you to tell me no. I want you to tell me anything you want to tell me, and I won't take it personally. And if you and I could work that way together, it'll be brilliant. And sure enough it was. Him and I had one of the best working relationships I ever had because I cleared the air right up front, and there's a lesson in there, even though that's not worth particularly what I'm talking about right now. I want to go back to slim fit shirts. So they launched slim fit shirts at Thomas Peak, and they put all the fashion up front, and I said to him what I learned at Van use it. If you put all the fashion in slim fit and you forget your full cut business, you're going to alienate your full cut customer who you built your business on. These are the people that are out there counting on you to keep them happy. You don't want to put all the new designs. If you come up with a white collar on a pinstriped shirt, you want it, and full cut you want it and fit it. You want to give both customers a choice at the best fashion. And we did it. And why did we do it because I learned my lesson in Van use it. Because when we put all the energy into then our slim fit shirt was called Hennessy did amazing, came from nowhere, became twenty five percent of the business almost overnight. But it wasn't all incremental value. Our full cut business suffered while we built a smaller business and fitted shirts because we didn't keep the full cut current and we had to. So I warn you Thomas Spink and they did the same thing, and for a moment, only a moment in time, our full cout business suffered. And then we added the fashion right after my conversation with them. And I'm not taking credit for helping them other than to say it worked. We kept fitted vibrant, we came full cut now vibrant, and the business grow. And the point is you don't have to throw away the baby with the bathwater. You want to go into a new business. Give it your best, but at the same time protect it. Which brings me to cars, which I said before. You look at all the automobiles right now. If the EVS, all the energy and excitement and styling is going into the EVS, it is the dumbest thing I ever saw in my life. All the new lights up front, the new shapes of light, the side panels, all the interior decorations, all going into the ev and the full cut. In this case, the regular gas combustion engines are getting a little tired and they're not putting the energy into it. So in terms of where you're going as a business planner, I asked you to consider an exit strategy. Why not have it all if you can have it all. If you said to me, I'm going out of all combustion engines like Jaguar, good luck, Jaguar, I don't believe in that. I'm worried for them. I can't imagine, you know. I look at the Hummer. I've had three Hummers in my career. I bought three of them. I loved the Hummer. It was big, it was safe. My Jesse learned to drive the Humber. Jesse. How great was the Hummer.
Speaker 3: When we had the Hummers, Oh man, the Hummer was fantastic. First of all, I was sixteen, seventeen years old and high school driving a Hummer. Nobody else had it. It was how should I say? It helped me a lot socially. Let's just say that it was a great car. Now do you remember what happened when I had the Hummer?
Speaker 2: Well? I remember I bought the Hummer because I didn't think you could drive worth a lick. I was SKay.
Speaker 3: I passed the road test the first try. But but I will tell you with the Hummer, right, the H two massive car I had my license for a week ended up smashing into a park car when I was backing up. Didn't see where I was going, and bam picked the car up and dropped it on the ground. And I remember I went up to the guy's house in the neighborhood. I was like, I'm so sorry I hit your car. He's like, I got hit by a Hummer. Awesome. He was happy, But I just thought to pay it. But it was, uh yeah, it was a great car. Amazing.
Speaker 2: So how did we settle it? You know? I had to remember.
Speaker 3: I don't even remember I don't think it was that much damage actually, despite the fact that he was hit by a hummer. But what I will tell you is the car was awesome. Parking it was tricky. It was so wide. Didn't we have to take up like two spots?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: It was huge, But you know, Gary Nod, I knew exactly what I was doing.
Speaker 3: I knew exactly what I was doing.
Speaker 2: It was great a minute. So Mommy and I made a deal. She would teach you to park, I would teach you how to drive. We're both busy, so we divided in conquered. The day of your road test, I'm taking you to the road test, and I'm giving you a chance to drive. And then I said, let's practice parking. You couldn't park. You couldn't park, And I said, what are you doing? He said, Well, Mommy said, I should line up the mirror on my call with the with the door handle in this car. I said, that's the dumbest thing I ever heard. Every car is a different shape the door handles in. That's not how you park now, it just so happens. You figured it out. You passed on the first drive. But that was a nightmare.
Speaker 3: It was not great, but you jumped in and the last minute taught me how to parallel park, which, by the way, I don't think i've ever wrote parallel park since then. I don't find a lot of opportunities to parallel park, to be honest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the world changed, the world changed, but the car anyway.
Speaker 3: But the car was awesome, man, By the way, the car was awesome. And we had something that we never had before. We had a DVD machine in the back of the car. Do you remember that? So if me, yes, if I wasn't driving or somebody else was driving and I was the back, there was a DVD like the screen came down, you could watch a movie in the backseat. I thought that was the coolest thing I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: It was back in the day. Anyway, let me get back to the point I'm trying to make. So now Humma comes out with a new version after six eight ten years of stopping great looking car crab walk. I don't even know what that is. But they made it all electric. I am telling you, I know they're not selling cars. I see too many of them on the dealership by me, And no matter what, I would have bought the Hummer in three seconds. I don't care how many cars I had. I would have bought it because of the size, the safety, the speed. That has a thousand horse power, But it's one hundred percent electric and I just won't do it. So in your business planning, you can do whatever you want, but you can't forget that you need a plan. My greatest story of excess strategy has to do back in London, different brand, different set of circumstances. I was the CEO of Donna Karen DCN. Why are the responsibilities of LVMH And when the time I joined them for whatever reason other than jeans, there was no men's business. I grew up on Calvin Klein men's. I love their suits. I love this shirts, I love this sports. You know you're talking Calvin Klein, one of the world's greatest businesses. We have no men's business. In fact, the greatest advertising I ever saw for shirts in my life was Calvin Klein. What they did was different than anything else. Rather than models posing and you know, showing you their favorite smile, they took slices of life. They went down to a street on Wall Street. They had four models walking, they had ten models behind them. The models behind them were blurred out, but it was the real looking pictures of four guys talking to each other or walking down the streets in the suits and tied DK why it was in fact, when I came to the company and I started and decided to relaunch men's the first advertising I did, I took the former model of DK Y who's now in his forties, who was in forties at this time, Mark vanderlou put him in the ads like the old ads and recreated that slice of life advertising that meant so much to me. And during my entire time at the Donna Karen Company, whenever I was there, I had put up the advertising on my walls bigger than life than I loved it. So I decided to go back in the men's business and I was introduced to this fellow. To this day remains one of my favorite people of all times. His name was Michael Morris. He was an entrepreneur based in London, the UK. He had been the licensee for East Saint Laurent in Europe and therefore all the East Saint Lagan clothes and Europe at that time were coming out of his company and he became a multi millionaire gazillionaire guy. He is a few years older than me. He was very cool. He dressed well, very nineteen five dresser, but always hair slicked back, the pocket square, dressed well, always looked apart. Nice, great guy. He went to Wimbledon, he went to all the favorite restaurants. He belonged to the right gambling clubs. Whenever I go to London and hang with him, I was so happy hanging with him. I just enjoyed him. He enjoyed me, loved my children. The boys would come. In fact, anytime we had a runway show in New York, the boys insisted they sit next to Michael. Anywhere we went anything for dinner, Michael was with me. We became best of friends. And he was a great guy. And at one point in time he lost the wire cell license. That's how I met him because Nieves Solaruan decided they didn't want a partner in doing men swear, they wanted to do it themselves. They brought it back in house and Michael was without a job, and I met him. And now I'm being introduced by another friend of mine to Michael Morris, And you know I met him. He was a little two col Valier for me a little too entrepreneurial. Anything I said I want him to do, he would do. Money didn't matter. Whatever I asked them for Matt, it didn't matter, Just do it. I want this license. Tell me what you want. I'm going to build you a great business. Just stay out of my way. And when he said to stay out of my way, it made me a little concerned, because when you rent your brand to someone, you have an obligation to make sure that person does with it what you expect them to do. The way they treated who they sell, what the price points are made me a little fuzzy. Michael was a little fast and furious in his lifestyle, but that's okay. I loved him anyway and decided to give him the rights to dk y around the world. Big deal, big, big deal. But at the time I was a little less than comfortable. I had a sixth sense that said I needed to protect myself. Let's call it an exit strategy, the theme of tonight's show. And I was doing the negotiation with Michael Morris and my friend Jean Rothkoff, great friend of mine who is a licensing guy, said listen, I need protection for the company. I want to get this deal. I won't ask you for money up front. I want to ask you for a signing bonus. But when I'm going to ask you, at the time, our royalty was about three million dollars a year for the first two years, I want you to set up an LC for me, a letter of guarantee. What an ELS was. It was a guarantee of payment from a bank that should anything go wrong, should they break their contract, should they not offer collections that they probably agreed they would do, if they did not pay us, the royalty were own, I could draw it down on that LC, meaning take the six and a half million dollars at any given time if they didn't own up to their agreement. And they signed it and we agreed. Fast forward three years later, I get a call in New York from Michael Mark. I have a problem. I'm going bankrupt. What what do you mean You're going bank Look you know I bought the shoe company. It was the biggest mistake I ever made. I don't know anything about shoes. It's a money hole. I have to protect myself. If I have to get rid of the company. The only way I could do it is going bankrupt. And clean up all this mess and come back. And I want you to know I have a new financial backer behind me. The gentleman's from India. He gave me his name. He said, please Mark, when this happens, at least listen to me. I could be back in business in fifteen minutes after the bankruptcy is soft and I have the financial backing, and you know what I can do, I said, I'll consider it. About two hours later, I get a call from our lawyers in New York who tell me they just heard from our lawyers in London that we had a bankruptcy with Michael Morris and they want me to come to London. Why do they want me to come to London because the bankruptcy procedure is different in the United States. In the United States, just so you know those if you are interested in this, if you have a bankruptcy and someone has the license to your brand, you can't get your brand back. It stays with the licensee. So you have to fight your way through bankruptcy. Because the bankruptcy judges in the United States and the arbitures are interested in two things, getting the creditors as much money as they can. But they want the surviving company to continue to keep the workers employed. So that's what happens. Even though it's your brand, you lose it to the bankruptcy court. You have nothing to say. In London. I was informed by our barristers, our legal counsel, that it's not the way it works in London. In London, there's an administrator whose sole responsibility is to support you for the future of the company. Whatever you want, they'll make happen. So they asked me to come to London to meet with these people, the bankers, and I said I would do it. A couple of days later, I fly to London. First thing I do. Then I to get dick Less to see me. I meet with Michael. He tells me what happened. He shows me who the people are, introduces me to his new partners if I give them a license. I said to him, I think about it. Michael. You know I like you and I believe in you. Let's see what happens. In the next two days. After that, my lawyer and I have dinner and drinks and he says to me, I need you to come tomorrow morning, first thing and meet the administrator. He wants to meet you, so I said, okay. After that, there is a Swiss pension fund who was one of Michael Morris's largest backers. They put their payroll and pension money in Michael's company and they lost it all. They want to meet with you, so I agree. Now, Remember it's Mark Weber from the City Projects. Being in London, being a master of the universe, involved in all these processes. I couldn't have felt bigger, high or whatever. First things first, I meet the arbitrator the next morning, Mark, I represent the London court system. I represent you. I'm here to make sure you get what you want. That's the way the law works. If you want to pick a new partner, you want to stay with the sk associates, with Michael's company, whatever you want to do, we're here to protect you, make sure you are completely in charge. Later tonight, I'm going to ask that you come to a meeting. We're going to have the Swiss pension fund there, We're going to have the three banks representing the losses here. They want to make a presentation to you on how to continue with the DKY license. I said sure. But in the interim, right after I met with the administry, I was taken to a building which just so happened to be the same building Michael Morris's company was in, and they took me upstairs to meet with a father and son who wanted to take over the dk andy license. And I was thrilled to meet them. I was excited, you know, father's son operating together, something that I always wished that I could have took me a radio show to get there, but that's what it was. And I met with I went to this showroom and basically speaking, they were a tiny company that their business really was odds and ends and underwear. And I'm looking at them, I said, do you realize what we have here? This is one of the most famous, accomplished brands in the world. We sell in every corner of the United States, in the world. It's a big business. It's clothing, it's shirts, it's suits, it's sportswear, it's jackets, shoes, this is a huge business. How do you intend to do this? Well, we have the financial back with them, I said, Okay, I hear you. I look at the guy from a Swiss pension fund. I said, I'm missing it. You want to back these guys, you want to sign a license agreement with me. You want to continue. They know nothing about the business. Well, Mark, you know we've identified them. We trust them, I said, I hear you. I'm glad you trust them. I trust them. The only thing is I don't believe they can do it. Mark. We really want you to consider it. We have a lot of money invested. They we want you. I said, okay, thank you. Listen, guys, it's nice meeting you. That night, we go to the Minister's office. We're in the financial section in downtown London. We go into a board meeting. I first meet with the advisor and he reminds me, Mark, whatever you decide to do, listen to them. But then you make the decision. We go into a boardroom. I'm telling you the boardroom is like a city block and representative I may work correctly. There were three banks, Wells Fargo, HSBC. And if you out there know what HSBC stands for. We see it all over the city, all over everywhere. HSBC. I'm going to shock you if you don't already know, it stands for Hong Kong shank I Banking Corporation. I never knew that until then, great bank. I have money in there. I like them anyway, I'm eating two of them. And then of course there's another bank I don't remember who in the Swiss pension fund and the head of Swiss pension. Front of all of these people start to present to me why I should go to this new company with the father and son, and I'm listening, I'm being polite, and they asked me what I think. I said to them. Look, i'll tell you what I said again, I don't think they're capable of doing the job. Let me rephrase that they're not capable. Now you're in my zone. You're in the banking world. I can't speak to what you do, but I'll tell you. I'm sure you're experts if you're sitting here. But when it comes to running an apparel company and managing a big business globally, I'm an expert. Those guys can't do it. But I have a question for you. Would you just consider hiring Michael Morris, Bring him into the company, put him at the head of it, and let him get it done. Bring in his people. Absolutely not, we want to do with He promised this and that we all lost money. I said, are you sure? They said, we're sure. I said, let me ask you a question. You guys owe me six and a half million dollars. When are you gonna pay me?
Speaker 1: Ah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's what we're here for. We don't want to pay you six and a half million dollars. We already lost a lot of money. I looked at them. This is one of my favorite things of all time. I stand up, I look at them. I said, I really respect you being here, But if I knew you're going to ask me to lend you six and a half million dollars, I would have told you to fly to New York rather than me fly here. What are you crazy? Why would I relinquish six and a half million dollars guaranteed based on a future that may not happen. They were shell shocked. I looked at my administrator. Do I have a right to ask for this money? Absolutely? Mark at the end of this meeting, if that's what you want, you don't want to sign a contract with these gentlemen, you do not have to, and you will collect your six and a half million. Guys meeting over. I loved it. Even though that meeting was over, it wasn't over. And here's one of the greatest lessons I ever learned in my life, and let me give you the end of the lesson up front. In business, in life, you have to have your ducks in order. You have to know what you're doing. You have to do your due diligence, You have to be sure of the accidents you take. And you can never be emotional. You always have to do what's right for the company, or if it's about you, what's right for you. In this case, after everything was said and done, I made a decision to give the business to Michael Morris. I signed a new agreement with his partners from India. I got my six and a half million dollars and signed a new agreement with another ten million dollars because the royalties were taken up because of the new deal with the Indians and Michael. A week later, I get a call for Bernard Kuhn, who is Bernard Kuhn at the time chief legal counsel for LVMH. He gets on the phone. Hi, Mark, you and I have met, but we really have never spoken. I have to talk to you about an unpleasant happening. I said, okay, says I received a call from whatever his name was, the head of the Swiss pension fund, who said that you had a meeting with him and didn't treat him right. So I said to him, thank you for calling. I'm glad you're on the phone. Let me tell you what happened. Had a license agreement, he invested them. The license went bankrupt. They offered me an alternative, which I did not believe would work. Nor did I think the people that they were suggesting I go into business with had the capabilities of doing that. And it's not that I didn't think. I know these people were small, they were very nice people. They couldn't execute a global business. I made a decision not to give them and find another partner, and for that they owed me an additional six and a half million, which I collected on behalf of the company. Visit the facts and I give you the RUSS version, but I went to details. He said, thank you. I have to talk about it. I have to talk with them. I have to understand. I'll come back to you. A week later, get a call from Bernard Kunn and he says to me, mark On behalf of Bernard or no and myself. I want to congratulate you for the work you did on this bankruptcy problem. From what we have learned, you did everything right. We've spoken with the attorneys. Everything was done according to the laws of in London. And here you save the company money. You put us back in business, and we have the highest regard and the outmost respect for the decisions you made. I want to thank you. So there you go. Lessons, learn exit strategy, do the right thing. It'll pay off back in a moment.
Speaker 3: Always in Fashion.
Speaker 2: Spent a lifetime of my career building the van Usen brand, and I am so pleased that they're back with us now. Talking about suits, men were dressing up again and it's become cool to wear a suit. Suits can be won on multiple occasions in multiple ways. You could wear a suit formally to go out at night or to an event, wear a suit to the office with or without a tie. If you look closely, now fashion trends, suits are being worn with turtlenecks or mark next. The choices are endless and every one of them looks right. You could really really look the part. I believe that in packaging yourself this is important. Does the products you package and wearing a suit is one of those things that make men look their best Venuesing invented a new idea. It's called the cool Flex suit. It's been engineered with stretch technology, giving you the most comfortable fit and mobility. Its wrinkle resistant fabric, it's cool moisture WICKI it makes it perfect for all occasions. As we discussed just now, this new style of looking sharp while feeling cool and comfortable is amazing, and I'm so excited that the ven using company is involved in this new technology and is embracing the whole idea of dressing up. Let's not forget venues and made it's name with dress shirts. It's only proper that the suit business follows strongly in its way. You can find vanues in cool Flex Men's stretch suits at jcpenny are online at jcpenny dot com. Guys, they're great, you should go look at them. I love Polar fleece. It's lightweight, takes colors beautifully, it's comfortable, keeps you warm and even if it's warm out, it doesn't hamper you. It doesn't make you perspire. I love Polar fleece. I also love sweatshirts and sweatpants. Love them, love them, love them. I'm a big fan of khaki pants and a big fan of a golf clothes. And I'm a big fan of Izid. I used to be the head of Iszide. In fact, my company bought it and out of bankruptcy, and the CEO of the company asked me to come in and fix it. And he said to me, Mark, the future of the company's in your hands. Can you do this? And I said, I will do it. I put everything, my heart and soul into making Eyeside the powerhouse that it is today.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I left a long time ago, and the company just continues to thrive. Isaid is one of the great sweater makers. Pant make his shirt makers, knit shirt makers, Polar shirt makers. They're incredible company. The colors are great, the fabrics are great. Guys, you ever wonder what you should wear, I'll make it easy for you. If you're going to be casual, go in and look at Isaac. Now that doesn't say that they don't have dress shirts and they don't have suits, Go find them. Isaoda is a collective brand that offers lifestyle apparel to everyone in America. And it's true it's a fun brand, but it's also priced at fun prices. Everyone can afford it. I love this brand. Of all the brands that I'm involved with, and you can name them, think about PVH and LVMH and all the brands, Isaoda is the one that's most personal to me because I was involved in crafting the future of this brand. The clothes are great, They're doing well. Isaad dot com, isaadat jcpenny, Go look for it. I think you're going to be very happy. And ladies, those of you the shopping for the guys in your lives, take a look. I think they'll be very happy with your choices. Isaad for men, welcome back to it.
Speaker 1: Always in fashion. Here's your host, Mark Webber everywhere.
Speaker 3: Oh use it.
Speaker 4: You're the only tonight.
Speaker 2: I've discussed exit strategy, whether it's life, business or whatever. We all need plants, we all need what IF's. Things don't go the way you plan, if things aren't happening the way you have. Everything needs to be thought through in advance. Smartest people I know always have an out. They always have a back door. They always have room to maneuver just in case. You must have an excess strategy. But it's yours for you alone. It's no one's business, but your own good night,