Speaker 1: I'm guilty. I'm one of those podcast listeners. Except when I go looking for a podcast, I want to be able to find it. I'll read about it on Google, and then I go searching for it on iHeart or Spotify, and I can't find that Rob low Interview. I can't find something Mark merindid I can't find it. So as a podcaster, it was my goal to create something that makes it so much easier for you to take what you found out and find it Ero dot net, aet net. It's twenty different podcasts for you to explore. Hey, there you are. I feel like doing some podcrashing today. Go in there and talk to some people that are actually living this lifestyle and bringing storytelling to the highest level it's ever been. Podcrashing episode number four eighty two puts his focus on actor writer Storm from his podcast The Red Weather. Hello and good morning party people. Hey, how's it going, man, I'm doing fantastic. How about you?
Speaker 2: Oh good, it's early, but I'm waking up.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: I'm getting through my pot of tea, so the caffeine's kicking in.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. When you're doing the tea, that means you're reaching for that that little element of hey, I'm going to go here, because creativity is on the opposite side of this.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah.
Speaker 1: I love the way that you're working your words with the red weather, in the way that you're part of the story. I love that because that's the one thing that I'm learning and doing all my research about podcasting is that listeners want to feel like they're part of your life, not not a third party or even a fourth party storyline that's made out of journalism.
Speaker 3: Yes, this is something that I learned the hard way by starting the first podcast I did. I started in twenty and twelve, I want to say, wait, doing back in the infancy, okay, And my idea was to do a book podcast is called Literary Disco, and it was my friends and I and what we thought at the time was, well, if we're going to be talking about books, we should present ourselves as book experts. We need to show off how smart we are, how much research we've done.
Speaker 2: And the reality is that's.
Speaker 3: The worst approach people really want is they want you to get up there like Joe Rogan or you know, name your podcaster and say I don't know anything, but I'm curious about it. And I want to look into it, and that's what people respond to. And it was a real lesson for me that you know, took me ten years to learn that the more you're honest about like what you don't know, that's what that's what draws people in.
Speaker 1: So then would you say that's part of the glue when it comes to telling the story of a a trainer, because I mean, you had me when it's like seventeen year old nobody found right away. I'm taking back to my own personal life in Billings, Montana, when there was a missing thirteen or fourteen year old girl and they found her at the lake. All of a sudden, I'm going, oh my god, writer, you're onto something here.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, Yeah, no, that's horrible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, I you know, I just wanted to I wanted to get back to well first, Yeah, I mean taking the audience back to my own adolescents and my own stupidity as an adolescent was always the point. And you know, I think that works. That works for me doubly because like, on one hand, it's just like a good narrative position to take as it draws people in. Also because people think of me still as a teenager, because they grew up with boy meet's world, and so like I have this sort of like you know, cheat code that when I say, like, you know, do you remember when I was fifteen, everyone kind of does, so, so it was it was an easy thing for me to do, particularly, but yeah, I do think that, like, you know, hopefully, I've had a couple of people say to me, like, you know, friends who have listened or you know, acquaintances who have said, like, you know, listening to the Red Weather made me go back and like pull out some of my old diaries and like my old journals and poems I used to write. And I love that, and I hope that that, you know, the more you know the old writing lesson is like the more specific you are, the more universal it becomes in a weird way. And so I knew that, like if I went back into my life as specifically as possible, even with a fake crime, you know, the actual missing girl is made up, but the rest of it is very specific to my childhood and real memories and real friends. And the more I could lean into that in a weird way, even though I grew up in this kind of you know, unique situation of being a child actor of being in the Redwoods, being surrounded by sort of communes and this kind of weird scene. It would actually make it more universal the more I leaned into the specificity.
Speaker 1: But doesn't it felt all normal? Did it not? Because that's the one thing that I'm learning about.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: We can all stand on the outside and oh, point our fingers, oh oh oh, but then when you're living in it, it's like, why are you owing me?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 1: I mean, this is how we live.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 3: And I think that that, you know, the initial impetus for the red Weather was me.
Speaker 2: Suddenly at forty six.
Speaker 3: Or forty five, whenever I first started doing this, realizing like, wait a minute, what was going on with like my like my one buddy who lived I knew his parents had started a commune and then it had fallen apart, but like I didn't know the details. We never talked about and we're still friends, but we never talk about it, you know. And I was like, I'm just gonna sit down with him for a couple hours and interview him because I don't know, like what was his parents doing, Like why why were all these parties there? And like I knew drugs were involved, but like I just didn't ask. It was just normal, so he didn't. And then there were kids that I went to, you know, I went to this really small hippie school out in the middle of the woods, you know, in part because I was acting at the time. But a lot of the kids who were going there were going there because they were being kept out of public school because they were in some sort of religious commune situation.
Speaker 2: And like I never asked them about that.
Speaker 3: I just knew that, Like there were multiple kids who were related in some way, and you know, in retrospect, it turns out because they were all fathered by the same guru who was leading their their family, you know, their their families. They had different moms, but they all the same dad, and that's why they were all half Indian. And I was just trying to figure this out, like why would they related? And sometimes they refer to each other as cousins and sometimes as brothers your sisters.
Speaker 2: I just didn't know.
Speaker 3: So the lot of the red weather was me like just being like, wait, is that normal? I need to go back and like ask some people about this, and that's you know, yeah, but I agree, man, Like when you're a kid, you're just in it, you never question it.
Speaker 1: I love the idea that you put this in diaries and journals because to go back there. But my question is when you went back in there to do the podcast to read what you put on the paper, did you go in there as the actor or as the person who laid the ink into those veins of that tree?
Speaker 2: Wo God, that's a good question.
Speaker 3: As mostly I would say mostly as an actor, I think I was. Yeah, I think I was mostly like, what's going to be the most effective way to convey this and to make Yeah? Yeah, So I would say it was more of an acting exercise.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But when you're digging up the pass, though, aren't you in essence saying, oh, I've got to live this now, because I mean, I've got thirty two year of daily writing inside this room, and it's like, if I step back to nineteen ninety eight right now, I'm going to carry it with me for the rest of the day. How the hell did you survive this?
Speaker 2: No, man, it was it was. It was very I would say.
Speaker 3: Like once I came up came up with the idea of making it like, you know, a fictional true crime thing where I was I needed to deliver the most exciting story I could. The material the like the real material then took second place. It was like, okay, I need I need to first and foremost, I needed to just make this an exciting mystery. I need this to have like a roller coaster ride of like ups and downs. And so a lot of that was just super fake, super fictional, and and so it was more about structuring the story and taking that raw material and finding a way to contextualize it. So when I would interview people, like talking to my dad about a story to always tell you know, I'm asking him questions about this story, and I'm going.
Speaker 2: To apply it to a completely fake situation. So you know, there was a level of remove there that was that made it easy.
Speaker 3: I was more concerned about how people would feel about once it was all put together, like the people that I interviewed, because a lot of their words are taken out of context. You know, I asked my brother about a girl we grew up with, and it's a real person that I'm asking him about, and he is a real answer. But then I apply that to a fictional character and and so that's you know, it's a real it's a real trip for even my friends and family to listen to who are in it. They've like been calling me being like, but hold on, but this part was.
Speaker 2: Real And I love that. I love that even they can't quite parse it all together. You know what? What's what? Oh?
Speaker 1: My god. Tony Bean, one of my the guitars that was in our in our garage band, still hates me to this day because he said that I got him wrong in my book Halloween seventy eight. I said it was based on a true story. Tony, It's not really you. I can't believe you would do this to me. I mean, did you go through that too?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: No, most, for the most part of my friends are is like, super supportive, and I haven't so far, I haven't heard. I mean I've heard some grumblings from my town in general, like people sort of like, what does this say about our town or is this a reflection of you know? Like, But no, for the most part, like all the people that I interviewed that I work with to make this are preally happy with it and and get it and enjoy the ride.
Speaker 1: Please do not move. There's more with Right or Strong coming up next. The name of his podcast, The Red weather. We are back with actor, right or strong? Well, the one thing that you do quite well with the red weather is the fact that you do what what We've always been trained in broadcasting and they might do it in acting too, Who, what, where, why, when? And how? If you can't focus on that, you have no story. And you've got a story here, man, because you're you're answering every one of those questions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was. It was a lot like I don't think I realized when I first had the idea and knew. You know, obviously I had a lot of material because it was based on my own life and my own friends and all that. But when I started organizing it, I realized how hard crime writing it is like mystery writing, because you know, if you're going to point fingers at somebody and say, like, oh, maybe, you know, maybe this person had something to do with her disappearance, that better be a fully realized story because if you can't just point fingers, you have to like make it really plausible otherwise the audience is going to know it's a red herring, it's fake, it's not you know, And so I had to get my facts very my My fake facts had to be very good, and they had to line up with my fact facts very well, like my memories and the actual things about my town or my life.
Speaker 2: So it was a lot of work.
Speaker 3: I would say this was this was probably six months of outlining and eight months of writing, and then only after that only about a month the recording, and then a lot of time editing. You know, I would say another three months editing.
Speaker 2: So this is a big, you know, a big thing.
Speaker 3: But the outlining and the writing was the most complicated because it is ultimately a mystery. It's ultimately a you know, kind of like a a crime novel more than even a true crime podcast, So I had to structure it accordingly.
Speaker 1: You know what's gonna happen, writer, You're going to be walking along in an everyday world and all of a sudden, your eye because you've done the homework and you've now lived what it's like to investigate things, You're going to spot something that a police department didn't, and they're going to start coming to you because you've got that keen sense of investigation inside of you. Do you not feel that when you listen to this, No.
Speaker 3: I'm a horrible detective for Red Weather, which is part of the fun is that like, yes, no, I wanted to. I wanted to like basically, through the course of this season, you know, learn how to be you know, I wanted I definitely wanted to writer the narrator of this podcast, to be a horrible journalist and a horrible.
Speaker 2: Detective at the beginning. I think that, you know, because that is the truth.
Speaker 3: Like when I was thinking, like what would I do if I was going to investigate a crime, I was like, I would want it to be live and I'd just walk right into the police station. Well, it turns out that's the wrong jurisdiction because where my property is is not even in this proper town of Sebastapull, California.
Speaker 2: It's in the shape, you know.
Speaker 3: So I was like, well, that's great, that's going in the podcast, Like that's going to be scene one. So like I completely flail, and I think that that's endearing. I mean to the point we were saying earlier about like when you admit that you don't know anything, it actually draws people in.
Speaker 2: That's that was kind of the same thing.
Speaker 3: It was like, I need to be a bad detective and then you know, hopefully by the end of the season. I've learned a few things and I've grown, but yeah, if there's a season two, I'll probably be a better detective.
Speaker 1: Well as an investigator. That writer and that producer you scare the living Bajiebis out of me when Anna is walking alone, because in my heart, as a father and grandfather, I'm going, what the hell's going on in this story because I can't stop buying pick a rup. That's what we did in the seventies. If you saw somebody walking along, you picked them up and you took them home. You are doing that today, which then causes that shiver while I'm listening to the Red Weather.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no, it's a it's a spooky vibe. And yeah, I mean now, I mean the other thing is like a story like this can only take place pre cell phones.
Speaker 2: You know, you can't, you can't.
Speaker 3: You can't tell stories like this anymore because everyone's pretty safe these days, and kids have a way to contact their parents, even in you know, the most isolated situation. So I think that, like I'll you know, it's kind of intentional that I go back to the nineties, because you can't have a mystery like this without if it was taking place in the twenty teens, for instance, it just wouldn't exist. So good for good for today's teenagers that they're safer and less likely to be murdered or kidnapped, but way less interesting storytelling wise.
Speaker 1: So was light a real person, mister Eric Lipsky.
Speaker 2: No, No, completely made it really?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, what what a believable See that just shows your writing skills right there, because I totally believed in mister Eric Lidski.
Speaker 3: Uh, you know, here's the real story is I wrote. I wrote about this character. I created this character. I wrote several pages of dialogue that was just lectures, you know, because at one point I find his like a ten tape lecture series, and so I just wrote a brief, like, you know, a series of like little lectures about how his philosophy on trees and psychedelic drugs and and I. But the whole time I was writing it, I knew that in I had this actor named Chris Lemke, who is an amazing actor.
Speaker 2: He was he was a child actor in Canada.
Speaker 3: Same era as me, and he's never quite made it as like a huge television star or movie star, but he is a he is a known actor and I just think he's brilliant and he's a very committed I wouldn't say full method, but he's a very committed actor. And so I presented him with these pages and the situation, and I gave him a radio shack microphone from the nineteen nineties and a tape recorder, and I.
Speaker 2: Said, what do you think about being el Rick?
Speaker 3: Could you just take these these and go do some lectures for me based on these three pages that I wrote.
Speaker 2: And six weeks later he.
Speaker 3: Turned in four full tapes full of lectures of him in character and yeah, and so what you actually get in The Red Weather and the third episode of The Red Weather is not anything that I wrote. It's actually stuff that he improvised that I then had to listen to and I pulled from to create the episode. He's a genius and it's just made it made it, made is so much more real. Exactly it made it because I am genuinely listening to it trying to piece together what this guy was all about, because I didn't know he as an actor, had gone off and just recorded himself in the desert. He recorded himself in the woods, and he really did just talk into the mic and so it was beautiful as it was a beautiful, like full so moment as a creator, writer, actor like it just made it so real.
Speaker 2: And there's a lot.
Speaker 3: Of different actors who came to me with that kind of.
Speaker 2: Approach and made this thing really elevated in.
Speaker 1: You share a quote that really touches me. You being up there in the red forest and I'm hearing the Carolinas in a forest that has white pines and elms and beautiful things that Carolina brings, and you say something here that I think it's going to really change me. One human hour is thirty tree hours. We planted seventeen hundred trees. I'm going to be out there with seventeen hundred trees talking to them about you got thirty hours ahead of me, mister tree. What a w I need to learn?
Speaker 2: That's so funny. It was weird. I did come up.
Speaker 3: I had written when I was writing this philosophy for l Reck, and I came up with this idea of tree time.
Speaker 2: It turns out it is an established thing.
Speaker 3: That people have written about, have talked about, I know, and I always just thought about it because you know, growing up in the Redwoods, there would be two thousand year old trees, three thousand year old trees around us. And I remember at one point thinking, you know, if the oldest species on Earth has chosen this part of the world to live in and survive for this long and basically the greatest threat that redwood trees ever faced were humans, right, Like, we're the ones that destroyed what otherwise would still be a pristine old growth redwood forest.
Speaker 2: I was like, that means that's a pretty good place to live. That means like that's.
Speaker 3: A pretty stable ecologically speaking, that's probably a pretty good spot to live in the good soil, good weather.
Speaker 2: So that was always my thought. It's like the trees kind.
Speaker 3: Of have a better idea of what you know, a longer term sense of reality and the earth cycles than we humans do.
Speaker 2: And so yeah, I wrote that into the thing.
Speaker 3: And then it turns out that there have been a lot of philosophy like philosophical discussions about tree time. Like literally, that phrase is an existing thing. I didn't even realize.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, trees are my life. Trees and rocks, man, Native Americans will teach you those are the storytellers. Sit by a rock and tell me what you're thinking.
Speaker 2: Absolutely man, I couldn't agree more.
Speaker 1: Wow, where can people go to find out more about everything that you're doing?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: First of all, they got to stop by the Red Weather because it is quite the experience for the drive in or if they're listening at work or even at home, because it really pulls this in and as your grandmother would say, it activates your imagination.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, thank you man.
Speaker 3: That's what I really hope that it like, you know, it's it's it's like a movie in your mind. That's what I meant for is Yeah, thanks man. I yeah, you know, I did everything on location. There's no studio work. It was all, you know, just running around and really do living it. So I'm glad that that translates. No.
Speaker 2: Otherwise, I'm on Instagram. That's kind of my.
Speaker 3: Big social only social media, forward front facing version of myself.
Speaker 2: I'm still doing Podmeats World.
Speaker 3: We're watching Bloying Meet's World, so that podcast is ongoing and we have episodes coming out every week.
Speaker 2: But yeah, no, otherwise, if.
Speaker 3: Anybody listens to whether I want to hit me up on Instagram, I'm I really appreciating the feedback right now. It's a very very personal, very weird story. So getting getting feedback is just it's super heart man.
Speaker 1: Well, you got to come back to this show anytime in the future. The door is always going to be open for your writer. Thank you so much, Ur, you'd be brilliant today.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah you too, thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 3: Fred.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, just wanted to let you know.
Speaker 4: I always sit by the Lenape Rock here in Manhattan whenever I do their trails, and I sit and I listen to whatever they have to say because we still have some of the uh leftover caverns of where the Lennape tribe was when they were here in Manhattan.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: Oh see, now you've got my attention. Okay, So writer and I are coming up there to do a podcast about those rocks.
Speaker 5: Literally in the middle of the in Wood Park and it's literally says this is here as a landmark of where the Lennape tribe was, and then if you continue to walk just a little further in, it'll take you to where the caves were, but the city Parks Department put rocks in there, but they it's there being even seed still see the trail of how they went down alongside the formations.
Speaker 1: Wow, I love that stuff, right, around. I love that stuff.
Speaker 2: You want me too. You seen it this past Saturday.
Speaker 1: I'll probably do it again this Saturday.
Speaker 2: That's amazing, dude.
Speaker 1: You guys have fun today. Okay,