Speaker 1: This is Pod Popular Podcast for the People.
Speaker 2: The Great Love Debate. It's the Great Love.
Speaker 3: Debate, the Great Love Debate. It's a Great Love Debate.
Speaker 1: Hi again, Everyone's Brian Howie. Welcome to The Great Love Debate, the world's number one dating and relationship podcast since twenty and fifteen. We are here in the lovely studios of Pod Popular Podcasts for the People in Scottsdale, Arizona. We do a portion of most of our live shows where we talk about good ideas for first dates and I don't care what happened to relationship. I eighty five percent of first dates are drinks, they are dinner, or they are coffee, and those are all fine dates, but they all are essentially interview style dates, and they are essentially prison visitation interview style dates there with a metaphorical piece of glass between you. It makes people nervous. So we do section of the show in each city where it says, give me a date in this city that isn't one of those three things, and it's awesome, and people give us all kinds of fantastic ideas in each city. Some are unique to that city in summer or so general.
Speaker 3: But.
Speaker 1: That's what we do, and so I kind of wanted to get into that a little bit today. And in order to do this, I want to bring back an old game that we played on this show about four or five years ago and we haven't done it in a while. And it is called good Idea, Bad Idea. And so you guys sent us a bunch of dates or things you do on dates, or things you look for on a date. And I have a couple of hopefully reasonable people joining me today to play a good idea, bad idea, and I hope this was a good idea and not a bad idea. They host their own podcast. It's called Homanity Brad Kimmelman and Bree McCabe, and their Homanity is sort of a lifestyle concept that celebrates the very best version of yourself and the world around us. Most importantly, they're sensible, and even more importantly than that, they're opinionated. Welcome you guys.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thank you for having us, Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're gonna do a little quid pro podcast meaning I'm gonna do their podcast and they're going to do my podcasts. But I chose to receive or to serve. So they're on the receiving end of this one. So here's what we're gonna do. I send out a call to arms, I send out the bat signal, and I said, give us a sort of your current state of the date and what you like to do and how you like to do it. And I'm gonna read a half dozen or so of these and we are going to kick them around and assess whether they are a good idea or a bad idea. And they go in a few different directions. Does it makes sense you are judge, You are judge and jury on these people, so we don't have to agree. But there's some layers to a few of these. We got a ton of these, so we chose some that sort of aren't necessarily all three of us are gonna agree on it, and there's probably some layers to it, but we're gonna we're gonna kick them around and see what we could do here. So first one from Megan in Durham, North Carolina. Let's face it, I'm not bright. Nobody's going to mistake me for a doctor. I have platinum blonde hair, huge fake boobs, three inch nails, and I basically look like a pin up, which gets me a ton of attention, which I definitely don't mind, but I also want the guys to think there is more to me than that, So I always suggest we go to seminars on early dates, crypto house flipping, investing, all kinds of things. I usually tune out while we are there, but I think it helps change their image of me, even if we don't actually go. I think just the idea of bringing it up to them means I don't just want to go out for drinks and go home with them. Mixed signals maybe, But do you think it's a good strategy?
Speaker 3: Immediately?
Speaker 4: Now I immediately know really Meghan really well, so I'm thinking.
Speaker 1: You think it's a bad id. Let me break this down a little bit. She has a persona that she's putting out there. If you're like, I am putting out this pin up look, which I know a lot of women who do that. It's a certain look they're going through. Yeah, you're basically in character. What you're trying now to do is add a character to your character. Neither one of them is really you, correct, So why not pick something that if you're like, I want them to see the real me that is not just this, you know, playboy bunny, this sexual thing. Why not take away from the character and reveal that layer instead of adding on a layer that really has absolutely nothing to.
Speaker 3: Do with you exactly, Like, that's how I feel. I feel like if you go to the seminar in like I personal wouldn't pay attention. So I completely agree with you, Megan, like could not be me. But what do you do if you asks you about it and then you're like, oh, actually, I was totally just I just want to look smart.
Speaker 4: I have no interest in a seminar whatsoever. But I brought you here because I didn't want you to think my fake everything was right was me?
Speaker 1: Now, I do know some women who do do this, that they will talk, they'll study up and they'll talk about a half tone. And probably men probably do this too, that they don't have any interest in it because they think the guy wants to think they're smart. Trust me, this is a first date, Megan. He doesn't give shit that you're smart right or now. He'll find that out later. And if you want to reveal that over time as they get to know you, fine, But you are leading with a certain thing to lure him in. You're trying to play two different games at the same time, and neither of those are you.
Speaker 3: Exactly, So it's like, if you're playing to losing games, how are you ever gonna win?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: I agree. I think if honestly, I would just pick something that you actually care about. And since it's opposite of your first persona anyways, he's still gonna see like, oh, it's a whole different thing. But also, like your first date, in no way, shape or form, should you like be talking about like what your college GPA was. Is there anything that would make you seem smart or not smart?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Because that's sound. It's about like I feel like you should just have a connection about like life in general.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nobody's throwing their diplomas on the table.
Speaker 3: And if they are, like get up in life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because there's some people that's all they want to talk about is I went here in grad school here, and you know this is what I did. That's fine. That's them. That's their blonde hair, fake boobs, whatever, which a lot of people do too. You're just trying to do too much, Megan, You're overthinking it. And if if what you're saying is I really am this Jessica Rabbit character, then go with embrace that, Embrace that, and that doesn't mean you're stupid exactly.
Speaker 3: I think those are honestly smartest people. They're playing a great game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so too. Those are actually fairly intimidating and they're confident. And then like, I know the look I'm trying to go to. You're right, so trying to to dilute that and get involved in something. I mean, even if you were in I'm not sure a house flipping seminars are a really good date anyway. Listening to somebody else talk who's not either of you is just not a good idea.
Speaker 3: I'm just like picturing like those big ballrooms with like the un comfy chairs and like the little plastic water cups and the people fanning themselves applying is bad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what about a network marketing event as your first date? That sounds really fun too. Let's go talk to other people that aren't so amway together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's wear name tags, which is actually kind of cute. I do like name tags on a date. I'm pro name tag on a date. But yeah, the environment is bad. You already admit you're tuning out. He can't wait for this to get over so he can get to the drinks and the nails and the hair and the rest.
Speaker 4: And all the other stuff she's putting forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it only the stuff.
Speaker 4: So I just want to send Megan to my therapist.
Speaker 1: I think so too. I think Megan's stick with dance with what Brunya. This is a bad idea if you want to do that on your own time and then talk about these things if you think they interest you, or ask questions on the date. But you're not fooling him, No, no, I don't. I think he's going to be able to sense you can sit there and doodle on your notepad like you're really just a bad environment. It's bad. It's a bad learning is fine, ticketing classes fine. This is not that this is a bad, bad idea for me right.
Speaker 4: I think just the word strategy for a date is probably the key tell all about where Meghan's head is on this. I think, Meghan, there's I don't know you, but you seem like the least authentic person I've ever not met.
Speaker 1: Which which is there's some authenticity in that too, if you embrace.
Speaker 4: That, and I am the least authentic person you'll ever know, And that makes me authentic. But but no, I think Meghan needs.
Speaker 1: A final note. Bad idea, bad idea.
Speaker 3: I'm going to say, bad idea. But I agree with you, Megan. Keep doing what you're doing for the first part.
Speaker 1: Yeah good, All right. Next this is from Ben. He sent it via our Facebook page. Brian two things. First of all, I asked a girl to a wedding on a first date. I thought I was. I thought it was going to be fun. I didn't know too many people there. It was a work related thing, so it wasn't like I was forcing her into a pool of my family and friends. It was outside on the beach. I thought it was a great idea. She thought it was way too much. So my first thing is do you think that's a good date idea? And secondly, what did you think of the story about the couple who sent an invoice for the no shows at their recent wedding? Thanks you guys, keep me hopeful through the lockdown. All right, let's go with the second part of this. First, did you see that story?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes, say so. For those of you who are not familiar, there was a destination wedding. I think it was in Jamaica or the Bahamas, and a couple no show and I think they RSVPs and then they didn't show up, so the couple sent an invoice looking to be reimbursed for the places the expense of that. My opinion on that was it was petty. Who gives a shit if they don't show up, You don't have to be friends with them anymore. It didn't cost you anymore if they weren't there. Like if they were there, it's the same cost. I think it was dumb. I didn't like it. Just don't be friends with them anymore. First, well, what did you think of that when you heard it?
Speaker 3: I thought the same thing. I thought it was really like almost like borderline taxi, because bottom line, if you couldn't afford to have the wedding there, yeah, you shouldn't have the wedding there. I mean, we could have gone to Destin, Florida and saved a ton of money, and that would have cost you twelve dollars a plate. So it's like, I just don't think you can do that. Things come out. People can't go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you're rude and assholes, but you can't bill people for that.
Speaker 3: If you bought the flight, that's different.
Speaker 1: But you didn't if you paid for their flight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like if it was one of those where you paid for their flight and everything, like.
Speaker 1: You still can't ask because if you had to pay for their flight, they probably don't have it.
Speaker 3: That's true too.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 3: Either way, I feel like you just don't like people just don't show up. It's a wedding that happens all the time.
Speaker 1: It happens all the time.
Speaker 4: Completely disagree with both of you, all right, both of you.
Speaker 1: I think that write the check.
Speaker 4: That thing brilliant. Okay, brilliant. Sorry, if you show up for ten ten minutes late for dinner for me, I expect an apology note. Okay, so so, and and if I went through the trouble and and I thought enough about you to invite you to my wedding and pay for whatever it is that I'm supposed to pay for, which is fine. It's not about the money, it's about the courtesy. If you don't show up at the wedding and don't give me a heads up and just are a no show. First of all, you're right, don't ever talk to them again after you get there, unless unless they're unless you're visiting them at the grave or in the hospital.
Speaker 1: Does it matter the relationship to the if it was just like they were somebody you didn't know that well, and they got on the wedding list and they were like a work colleague and they didn't shove, or if it was like your cousin, Does that matter?
Speaker 4: Did they RSVP? Yes? Apparently did they not show?
Speaker 1: Yes, they deserve a bill.
Speaker 3: At the mailman and like get a little paid.
Speaker 1: It was a reasonably cheap bill. By the way, it wasn't that.
Speaker 4: It's not about the money. It's not about it's if it was twelve cents just it's it's about hey, buddy, you that was really really rude.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. Yeah, yeah, my bad.
Speaker 4: That's it a phone call.
Speaker 1: Here's my venmo.
Speaker 4: Here here's the deal. I I once was showing houses to to this this client and they had me book book, book, book book, and then threw me a curveball. They wanted to go see this new construction while we're having this tour. That was the entire day, and they they distracted me and I didn't show up to show a five million dollar house and the and the listing agent was there, opened up the house and waited and waited and waited and I completely spaced and that was my bad. But that was it was, it was, it was. It was a mistake. No. I felt so bad that I because I don't do that right. I don't. I don't diss people intentionally, and he he got really mad. It was a text message back and forth where he's like, I was, I waited for an hour and a half and I'm like, I'm so sorry, and then he said all it took would have tooken was a text and I wrote back, you're right, and then I didn't know what else to say. There was no but but yeah, I sent. I went on to Facebook. I found out where he went to college. I found out that he was a football fan. I bought him the hat and the not a football fan, golf, he's a golf fan. I bought him golf balls with his college emblem on it and a hat and sent it to him as an apology.
Speaker 1: I would have sent the listen that was really shitty. We were hoping you were there, you know, and then left it up to them to be like, oh shit, here's a better gift or something, which it just they made it about the money and it shouldn't be about the money it should be about. People are rude, people do suck, And I'm one of the people who believe that if somebody invites me to your wedding, that means you want me there on the most important day of your life. I'm going. I've been to weddings all over the world where I'm like, I'm going to go to your wedding. And if they didn't think it was important now or whatever came up, you definitely owe an apology, and you definitely should be made to feel like shit. I don't think the three hundred bucks matters.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree, and I agree on is completely passive aggressive. Yeah, however, it would feel so good to say to send a bill.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, reasonable, All right, let's get to the first part, which is the second part of this. I think asking somebody to a wedding on a first date is awesome. It's a fun environment, it's a romantic environment. Like he said, it wasn't like it was like, come me at my entire family and make the person feel awkward. I think, go for it. You know, I've I've done that. I've been that, I've been a wedding date. I'm not the best wedding date because I'm probably not dancing, but and I'm a little introverted, so don't invite me. But I like it. And I think him asking a girl for a wedding date, he's right, she's wrong.
Speaker 3: I agree with that. I think as long as it's not your family. I think if it's your family, that's a little bit awkward, because that's a lot if I barely even know your name. But I think if it's like a coworker or even like just like kind of a mutual friend situation, I think that's such a fun date. It's literally free drinks, good food, I mean.
Speaker 1: And yeah, it's a really good date.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And there's a hundred other people you can talk to if it goes bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And if she tries really hard to catch the bouquet, I'm gonna know, I'm gonna bik Oh, she really cares about.
Speaker 4: She likes it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, where are probably next?
Speaker 4: I I agree. And if she thought it was a bad idea, she should have said no in the first place. But don't go and then do a Monday morning quarterback?
Speaker 1: Yeah you know. Yeah, so that was really awkward. And I'm not I'm not even sure it's a breaker if it's not. If it is a family wedding, it depends on your family. I one time got invited to uh, Thanksgiving dinner on a first date. I was like, she's like, what do you do for Thanksgiving? I was like, honestly nothing, And so I tend to get those pity invites.
Speaker 4: What's a while?
Speaker 1: But she's like, listen, uh, because we were going to go out the next night. We already had plans to go on a first date, like the Saturday of Thanksgiving, and she's like, would this sounds weird? Would you like to come? There's a lot of people there. My family's big and fun and whatever. It was so fun. I didn't end up liking her, but I really liked the family and it was kind of like she introduced me this is our first date, and it was like a running joke and it was fun. You know. Again, it depends on the environment and all that. But but people just saying like, hey, let's just try this out. We're going to dive into the deep end of the pool together and see where we go. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.
Speaker 4: I think if it's a first date, it's not like, oh, will you marry me my family. It's it's I think it's a perfectly appropriate thing and it's a good.
Speaker 1: Way to dive in weddings. Weddings are fun. We all right, so good idea? Yes, yes, okay, all right, here's a good idea. Because I gotta pay maybe for somebody's wedding that I blow off. We got to take a quick break because I got to pay the bills around here, and we will be right back after this. And we are back. I'm here with Brad and Breed from Omanity and we are playing good idea, bad idea with a lot of dates suggestions, a lot of date ideas. And the next one is from men are men or men? Or Emmy and n E R. I think I like that name that the boys name or girl's name. I'm gonna find out second. I'm say guy Okay, I think it's a guy men or menor oh it is a guy okay.
Speaker 3: Hi.
Speaker 1: I'm fifty two years old, just got out of a long relationship and before that I was married for eight years. I am starting to date again. And the one thing that I really do well that will really impress a woman is I am a gourmet cook and I am a specialist at cooking for two, which is actually a different talent from being a restaurant chaffer cooking for a family. The problem is, I would love to cook dinner for you is now seen as too forward, like I'm really inviting them over to kill or roofie them. That's a little excessive. I used to do this all the time. I assume not kill or roofie them. I used to do this all the time, and women loved it. Now they don't. I know you're probably going to say, why not wait till the second or third date to ask to cook for them? That's the problem. I don't do very well in other environments. I'm not relaxed, and I overthink it. I'm sure they would like me if they would just come over and try my strawberry caprace and pistachio pesto. It is out of this world, but I don't get the chance. I think it's still a wholesome date do. I just keep asking, and I hope the right girl says that sounds terrific? Now, men, are you are right? Women used to love that before they started watching too many Lifetime movies and many in too much dateline. The men you say, I'd love to cook dinner for you sometime. Was fantastic. The women would let Now, he's right. A lot of women are like, I'm not going over your place that quickly. Meanwhile, if you took him out to dinner, you'd probably end up at their place anyway, So stop it, ladies. You know you'd go over his place anyway. But it sucks that he can't do that. He's right, he should be able to hold off a couple of dates. Yeah, that can't be the only environment, or you're gonna have a little trouble anyway. Like the only time that you're able to relax is if you're flipping an omelet for her thoughts? Does he keep asking until somebody says yes.
Speaker 3: I do agree, it's the idea is super nice, But like, I would never go to a guy's house for tenner on the first day. I would truly think he was gonna like slip me something or whatever.
Speaker 1: Why we didn't used to do that?
Speaker 3: Honestly, I watch like way too much forensic files like all that, and I'm like, oh my god, you could be the next Ted Bundy. I don't even know. So I think that's a lot of people's mindset is like we're so taught, like be on the edge, like make sure, and so then we are and you mishap. She's like this. But then I would say, like, why don't you do like a cooking class, because then you could easily say, like you had fun, I would love yeah, and then you could say I would love to do that for you, because then you're like, Okay, we're in public. I like you, you're this is fun. You don't have to talk that much because you're literally cooking, And then that totally transitions into like, oh, I would love for you to cook for me at your house.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a great first date idea.
Speaker 1: It's a good for saying yeah, we bring that up a lot. Cooking classes good because you're both doing that. He can show and you can't man or you can't be a dick, Like that's not the way I would make it, like you could. You have got to dial back your your gourmet a little bit. But then you're involving cooking into.
Speaker 3: That, So it makes sense for why you would invite her over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it still is a sweet date. I do think if you ask enough women, there's enough women not like Bri, who will be who do not watch too much forensic There there.
Speaker 4: Are enough women out there who will jump at anything for a first date.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and a free and a free dinner.
Speaker 4: And a free dinner.
Speaker 1: There's no doubt now. So I think it's I think it's a good idea. I think you should develop some other social skills and life skills. I think Bri has a better idea, the Happy Compromises cooking class. Ask that first, and then why you're the cooking class, Like, like, I have a dish that's different, you should try this, and then you're you're home free. I think that's a good idea.
Speaker 4: Manor needs a stress management tation class something to manage his anxiety, because if that's the only way that he's going to be comfortable around a woman or then then he's got bigger problems than whether or not you should cook them down.
Speaker 1: And you're divorced, and you're in a long relationship for for a long relationship, and you're married for eight years, So don't act like this is you're some specialists of cooking for two. You cooked for these two, So I don't know how many twos you cook for a little bit of a sidebar, and not to be flippant about this. Tragically, we're in Scottsdale, Arizona, recording this. Camelback Mountain is right out the window. And you heard about that the couple went hiking on a first date. That was a first date, which is a horrible idea. It's a horrible idea. A lot of women in Denver, especially, they love. It's ridiculous. As some woman said at our show in Denver, if we really wanted to go hiking, they should serve wine on top of the mountain. Anyway, it was like a blind date. She came into town, they hiked Camelback. He had done it a million times. Half way up, she's like, I don't feel good, and he let her go back down the mountain. He continued to the top.
Speaker 4: And she died. Yeah, it's a really bad first date.
Speaker 1: It's a bad first date. I don't like it. Now in the stories, now they're referring to him as the boyfriend. The boyfriend is not a suspect. I'm like, he's not a boyfriend. He's a first date. And he's a shitty first date.
Speaker 4: He's a shitty person person.
Speaker 3: If you've already done it, the view is the same. That's also the same view you can get from like half of the houses in Paradise Valley.
Speaker 1: So if you're not familiar with Scottsdale, Arizona in July when this happened, it's the surface of the sun. It's like a million degrees. It is really rough, and he should have known as somebody who's experienced, like if somebody doesn't feel well and you still have to get back down, and he's a cop paramedic something like that, He's like, okay, I'll see at the bottom. And she wanted off and she.
Speaker 3: Died and terrible date without water I know, which. I'm like, it's like, were you took Yeah, I'm like, were you trying to set her up? Like, first off, you asked me to hike camel back for a date. That's a red flag. That is a huge red flag.
Speaker 1: Why isn't it?
Speaker 4: It's not the outdoorsy.
Speaker 3: I did a hike in Hawaii and I nearly I saw Jesus halfway through. I was like, oh, she please take me. But I'm so serious. I would really be thinking, like why do you want to see me?
Speaker 1: Like literally in your dead wet weddy, dirty.
Speaker 3: Panting one hundred and twenty degrees and.
Speaker 1: Then be surprised at how many people like that. I don't. I don't like that.
Speaker 4: If it's still attracted, then then the rest is going to be all, yeah, somebody's.
Speaker 1: Let and you know, maybe maybe he's like, you go first and he can check out her ass. I don't know what the incentive is do that. They could have done a million other things. They didn't really know each other. Let's do that. And then she died so he didn't kill her, but he didn't help.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we didn't. It's the like you go back to the car, I'm going to finish it. Why.
Speaker 1: Yeah, then what I would be like, you're a dick. Then even if she moved to the bottom, you were never seeing her again.
Speaker 3: I would have been on the next flight by the time.
Speaker 4: Didn't even give her the car keys, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's publish. This is all Yeah, it was all bad. He was bad. He should be charged with something, and I don't like any of it.
Speaker 4: If you want to incorporate camel back into your into your first date, go have drinks at sanctuary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, take pictures, yes, lovely to look at, but I'm not not hiking it for day I'm not hiking for day, all right? Sorry manor sorry sidebar. We lumped you in with the We lumped the dinner cooking man in with the bad hiker. You're not the same, even though there's cutlery and all sorts of things.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: Next one Caroline via our Instagram. She said it, Uh, do you know that show Zoe's Extraordinary Playlists?
Speaker 4: Yes, one of my favorites.
Speaker 1: Okay, good because I don't really know it, but I kind of know what it's about. She goes, that's pretty much my brain. I always want music playing. I want my entire life to be a musical, so I think the best dates need to have music involved, concert, jazz, club, even taking guitar lessons together. The problem is most guys want to do two things, talk to me and then sleep with me, or maybe just talk to me in order to sleep with me, So it's really just one thing. Yes, there can be music playing during both of those things, but I really want to focus on the music and they want to focus on other things. If they want to know me and like me, they should plan dates that will help them know me and like me, and that means music. So this is somebody who needs music related activities that seems narrow.
Speaker 3: I feel like so the guitar lesson, Yes, that's one thing, but like she needs a soundtrack. Yeah, I'm like, he wants to talk to you because that's the point of a day. Like that's how you get to know someone. So I feel like you have to find a compromise and do like a little of both where you can talk and listen to music.
Speaker 1: What happens on this show, she referenced, she imagines everybody singing and dancing.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, Well, what happens is she has this extraordinary power that she can feel people's emotions because they automatically break into song about what they're feeling at any given moment, and then she has insight into their soul and then she can help them through whatever it is that she's going through. So this is a power that.
Speaker 1: This doesn't sound like Caroline has that.
Speaker 4: No, No, it's yeah, I don't.
Speaker 1: If you need to see I feel like the music that you need a distraction because you have some nervous anxiety that you can't just be me and you and the sound is us. I think that's the issue here.
Speaker 4: And it sounds like Carolyne has gotten dumped a lot after she's slept with someone once or twice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you're right on that too, And I'm not sure the music is going to change things either. You can put them very white and do whatever you want to do. You always want music when you want to do music, really activity playing activities. I get that that would be not too stereotype it. He'd be like, I always want something. I always want the game on in the background, I mean background music, you know whatever, and having it's just a very narrow path that you want to go on because you perceive that as your comfort zone. Well, most relationships success, and most things are and go somewhere I believe happened outside of your comfort zone. So the guy who's going to be the guy is going to be the one who's like, you know what, I don't even think there was music playing. I just it was just us. And I think you want that constantly bringing in this this crutch of music. I like, you know, most people do like music, but it's like a lot of people like, oh, I want to go to a concert on dates, well you can't really talk, you don't really get to know each other, and some people just don't want to get to know each other. I don't know I agree with that.
Speaker 3: I feel like if the music can be a side character almost to it, Like if you did like a like a piano bar or something where it's still YouTube, but you have that music there in case it's like, oh this is horrible, you could easily shift and just listen. But it's like if you're going to a concert or something like, then we're just two strangers awkwardly standing next to each other, and then we leave and don't know each other.
Speaker 1: Dial the music back as a character in this scene. Yea, as little as possible. I used to back in the day world enough to remember there was a virgin, Virgin megastore. I'm pointing to bad for sure, the Virgin megastores, remember those. There was one Times Square where it was just records, you know whatever. And I lived for a decade like a block from Times Square, and what I would like to do is I would go over and they had the headphones there before we were all germophobes, and you could just put on try different, hit the buttons, and listen to different music. And I did that once on a date and I thought it was awesome, And she was like, come listen to this and listen to that, and it was it was like exploring a record store and there's music playing. It was really really fun thing, mostly because it showed me personality. Yeah, and you shared that personality, and the music was sort of a window to what they liked and didn't like and how much fun we had it with a cheap date. But it was a really good time. And so that was something that was like an activity that involved the music. Not the music needs to overwhelm the activity.
Speaker 4: I agree. I think Caroline, if she's so stuck on the music, she should go and find she should go and and and get a job in a record store or or or or go and take music classes and meet other people who are obsessive about music, right, because it doesn't sound like she's gonna let go of that. That's that's how she defines herself.
Speaker 1: Needs to figure out why she needs to meet it.
Speaker 4: Well again, yeah, I have a great therapist call me. It sounds like all these people who are writing in have some issues.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's not the worst issue to have. It's just like if you always need music playing, you know, some people got to do certain things to sleep. I get it. But I wouldn't rule out the guy just because he's like, no, I don't want to go to a concert, Let's go here. And if there happens to be a piano player, like, that's lower the background music a little bit, and I think that's fine.
Speaker 4: And people do go on dates because they are looking for someone to sleep with, either short term or long term. But if that's what she's so afraid of, yeah, then you know, I mean, then just get friends that like music.
Speaker 1: I guessed it on a podcast once that they played music in the background the whole time and they're like, oh, it's like being in a bar. I'm like, it's so fucking distracting, Like what are we doing here? And they just had like a DJ playing and I'm like, oh no.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm like, okay, this can I'm like, can we just focus?
Speaker 1: I was like they liked it? I didn't, Oh, well, what do I know? All right? Next one, this is from Lee in Chicago. Love that here is not necessarily the activity but the action I want to do on a first date. And it does work great, even though it's risky. I bring a list of questions that are far more serious than you would think I should ask, but they usually bring laughter and fun, and Brian, I know that is the fastest way to break down walls. Before we have dinner or even have our drink, I tell her there are a few things I need to know. I start with what should we name our first kid? Then I moved to things like would you take my last name hyphen it or keep your own? Where we where should we go on our honeymoon? Where should we buy our second home? Risky strategy, Sure, sometimes it blows up, but the ones who play the aur game, we have so much fun with it. You I know your proponents of playful and hopeful, and this game is absolutely those two things. Just wanted to share it. It doesn't always work perfectly, but when it does, it's great. I love it. I love it, I love it. I want you. It's it's there's a little bit, and she's like, is he serious? And don't act like ladies that you're not writing out to see what your name looks like with Howie next to it, because you are and a lot of girls do that, And what were our names sound like together? So he's just and she has to be like, because he's serious, it's a little impish there's no way he's serious, right, or where you're like, there's a chance he's serious.
Speaker 4: I don't think he's serious.
Speaker 3: I feel like definitely the way he worded that, I don't think he's serious. But I think on a first eight trying to figure out anything about this guy in the first question is like what do we name our first kid? I'm going to be like, oh my god, I I think my goldfish died.
Speaker 4: Athletes Like what if.
Speaker 1: I said, I bet you didn't think you'd like me this much?
Speaker 4: Did you?
Speaker 3: I feel like that, like I will probably laugh, but I don't know if it would be like a h okay.
Speaker 1: Right, I agree, or it would be very risky. The one who rolls with it, I mean, like I'm gonna.
Speaker 4: Roll with this.
Speaker 3: A good match for him?
Speaker 4: I agree, right, but he hasn't found one yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm like.
Speaker 1: He might who knows what he does in second third dates? I mean he might show up with a baby care. I don't know, Like, you gotta see where you go from there. It's it's fun and it's funny, and we didn't. We did an episode a couple of years ago and it was I think we called it the twenty three questions that matter. They were not this serious questions, but they were designed to be playful. So he's playful and hopeful and you're there, and I'd like to see this whole list of questions. If those are a list of questions, where would you like, where should we buy our second house?
Speaker 3: I kind of like that one because I'd be like, oh, okay, so we're ambitious, like we're gonna not.
Speaker 1: Our first past our second.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Like I would be like, good, so we're talking about like having this like big cool life. I feel like that. Or the honeymoon I would think it is funny.
Speaker 1: Or eating a picture, yeah, because I'd be like, oh, if.
Speaker 3: You say you want a honeymoon like Colorado, we're not meant to be because I would to be in like bor Bora, so at least we know, right, But I think those are funny. I think like the kid, I'd be like, oh, I I don't even know you, so.
Speaker 1: I don't know about that, but oh my god, so much forensic files do you see? And you're not alone? Most women I think are like that now, But you wouldn't have been like that twenty years ago. You'd have been like, oh my god, this guy is thinking marriage.
Speaker 3: But twenty years ago, I would have been probably the victim of a serial color.
Speaker 1: So there's not this long history of guys in the nineties killing people. It didn't happen nor now it's it's still statistical outline.
Speaker 4: It's a couple of bad apples. Man ruined ruined.
Speaker 1: It for everyone, and Ted was a romantic first or second dater.
Speaker 3: That's insane.
Speaker 1: I need you watch forensic files. There's another sidebar here because I have some questions. Are you following the Scott Peterson thing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just heard that he's supposedly getting charged with another one.
Speaker 1: No, I think he might get a new trial on the old one and get out. Well, I thought there was no doubt he did it. Whatever. The one who is leading the charge for his release is his wife's sister, and she's devoted her whole life to freeing him. I think she's in love with him.
Speaker 4: I agree.
Speaker 3: I think so too, and I just read it.
Speaker 1: I saw an interview with her and she's like, he would never do this.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I think he might, sweet and she was like, Dad, like, what what do you mean you would know? I think that's creepy.
Speaker 1: I think she's she's designed it alibi for him. She has this whole backstory and she's this I feel like, so I want to know more, Like were you always jealous of her? You're always in love with Scott? Have you followed this a little bit?
Speaker 4: You have not? But I pretty much feel like I'm caught up now and it's really not.
Speaker 1: That's pretty much I didn't know. I saw on the Today Show and I'm like, she's clearly in it.
Speaker 3: Like Stockholm syndrome. Yeah, like she's like falling in love with the person.
Speaker 1: Order right, both Menenda's brothers are married.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which that whole story is like really unfolding. Kind of crazy too.
Speaker 1: Not to not make you feel better about that. I don't know if that's hopeful for you great love listeners or not. But like they found love, but they only killed their parents, right, and they were probably bad parents.
Speaker 3: I gonna say, what's coming out about them? I mean, they might.
Speaker 1: Matter who you killed and why.
Speaker 3: I agree. I think if it's like a little isolated where I wasn't related to, you wouldn't have done it to me, right. That's different than like like someone like the Scarsdale that's from our neck of the woods.
Speaker 1: What happened there the Scarsdale diet. It was a rage. It was a passion killing, like he cheated on her and she was she did.
Speaker 4: Like blacked out and shot.
Speaker 1: Him, and then she did like seven years and then went back to a normal society life. Yeah, it seemed reasonable to the jury.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just like a little mental break and fine.
Speaker 1: Right, she had a moment of passion killing. But yeah, that's true. So not to get to put all this dark energy into your sweet dately in Chicago, it's risky. Some she might be texting her friends like this guy's a fucking psycho. I think, like anything, nothing's going to work one hundred percent of the time. Nothing's not this. If you're looking for a type of girl who likes your type of humor, go with it. I would have I would have a backup.
Speaker 4: I want to know what the gay version of that is is Like on your first dai, are you a top or a bottom?
Speaker 1: I mean, well, do you like question?
Speaker 4: But I think that gets asked anyway?
Speaker 1: Do you act so?
Speaker 4: I know?
Speaker 1: But is it a negotiation? Is it a negotiable kind of topom?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 4: Now, I'm old and I've I've been I've been married, for twenty four years, right, But that's not something in the past when I was dating right, we asked.
Speaker 1: How to just negotiate that.
Speaker 4: It just sort of you find out when you're whatever you're doing right and.
Speaker 1: Breaker.
Speaker 4: I'm sure you can find somebody that awkward while you're finding out.
Speaker 1: I know, but there's got to be this awkward moment it's like, wait, we're both bottoms.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's going to be a problem.
Speaker 1: I guess then, is it a conversation or is it just is that the way.
Speaker 4: It works for some people? I think it does.
Speaker 1: But can people be talked into like you should really try this? If you were bottom with me, you would like it. Is that the way it works?
Speaker 4: I think? I mean people are now identifying as versatile.
Speaker 1: Versatile, Okay, I think that doubles your dating pool.
Speaker 4: I think so too is even better.
Speaker 1: We haven't done we haven't done a gay gay great love to be in a while, but I have some questions We're going to do that soon too. Yeah, versatile in any situation, it's probably good. Yeah. A lot of you people are who are writing in here very limited music and you're cooking, you need to be versatile.
Speaker 4: I think a lot of straight men would like to talk to their girlfriends into being more versatile.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with you, sir. I agree. Versatility is an asset. Versatility imagination and getting out of your comfort zone. All you tops out there and just breathe, just breathe. It'd be over in a second. Check please, all right, last one here. This is from Michelle via our Facebook page. I was on your website and watched that brief highlight video which we have on our website from your tour, and it looks very funny. And one of the women in the clips says that going to a psychic is a great first date, and I totally agree. Or a palm reader. There is mystery, there is suspension of belief, there is faith, there's the unknown, there is nervous excitement. I love it. Do you know anybody who's done that? And how is it for an icebreaker? I do know somebody's done it, because I do know the girl in the clip, and she has done it. I love it. You are taking the gamble that the palm reader is going to read something very dark in your immediate future. You were You are really risking your dating fate on the palm reader. And I think some palm readers probably read darker than others, right, sure. I think you have to find somebody who's who understands what you're doing here and have fun with it. It's like, oh, I see a great night ahead of you on this line. I think it's a very very good fun idea. I do do.
Speaker 3: I think it's fun. I think it's different, and I feel like the way you take your reading says a lot about you. Like some people really take it literal and some people are like, oh, this is like a sham kind of deal. Yeah, and so I feel like it'll show you kind of how that person is, Like.
Speaker 1: We aren't go full Oiji board.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no's like, let's save the Oigi board to at least a third date. I feel but I love that. I think that's so fun, super different.
Speaker 1: Are you a horoscope astrological person?
Speaker 4: Actually?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I kinda.
Speaker 1: I mean, do you care what they are?
Speaker 3: We just had an astrologery on our podcast actually, and she completely, honestly.
Speaker 4: She blew her mind.
Speaker 1: Yep, there's a lot was it evaded? Yes, yes, yeah they.
Speaker 3: Know uh huh so and it was weird, like she.
Speaker 4: Like off a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yes, she knew too much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like we kind of like, oh interesting, and dates are definitely starting to line up from what she said, so it's crazy. Yeah, so I would like that as a day.
Speaker 1: Do you are you aware you gonna ask what sign you are?
Speaker 3: So I was in aries up until three months ago when she did my reading, and apparently I'm a Pisces.
Speaker 1: What does that mean? Isn't it a firm calendar? Did we vote on this?
Speaker 3: No? Apparently it switches because it's not by like dates, it's by actual like days with the moon cycle.
Speaker 4: Oh so your sun's sign is your your your willy nilly astrology, like we we know. So I'm a cancer Leo because of my son's time. But in Vedic astrology, it's so much more than that.
Speaker 1: I guess lost a Vedic astrologer back on here. I as I've mentioned on this show many many times, I am a Scorpio and there's Scorpio discriminate and a lot of women will just no, not doing it, like uh uh, not going there. Scorpio and Gemini are the two that people some people who are into this that's.
Speaker 4: Are like brothers of Gemini.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're like, no, I'm not going there.
Speaker 3: That people have they have a wrap of being toxic. Yes, And I said that and the astrologer was like no, and I was like, m I might still stand by my decision.
Speaker 1: Right, it's a real thing.
Speaker 3: It's like just the energy. But I think there are they water signs. I don't really know that deep on them, but like they're just known like Scorpio scorpios.
Speaker 1: We're gonna have one good night and then you're gonna sting me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then you're gonna like lose it and like Gemini, same thing. I'm pretty sure I read that a lot of serial killers are Geminis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not that that shock. I'm sure they had that un forensic files, but they I agree that's the direction that this could go. I mean it seems fun and a little bit of a you know, no offence palm readers carnival thing, which is always sort of light and I think, but there's a dark side to so I would be a little bit cautious about what you do with it. But I think good idea. I think that's a good, good date idea.
Speaker 4: I think it's a great idea because you go there and someone else is saying it's like, it's not like that. The question the very personal questions what we name our kid. Yeah, you go there and very personal things could come out, but it's not coming from one side or the other. So it's something that after it's over you can bond over and talk about and and dissect and and have an experience that and then yeah.
Speaker 3: You can exactly, it's a good conversation like that, and then go to like.
Speaker 1: Why did she say that about you?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't want that either. You want to be like that was cool or that was fun, but it's it's an icebreaker. It's a before and I like it. So I'm Michelle. I'm a good ideaat idea. All right? That is it? Uh, that was fun playing good idea about it. Most of these are have some layers to them that but some of them I think, you know, I think you know, if you've sucked up, I don't know. Tell everybody a little bit about Homanity.
Speaker 4: Well, Homanity is our podcast, and basically it is it is based upon my concept of humanity and home and humanity for me is just the act of being human and being and kind and aware and celebrating your best life and layering your life with whatever is good that's going to make it better. And a lot of that revolves around home, whether whether it's your house, your your country, your city, your state, your universe, whatever it is. It's about having better moments in your life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some mindset, so lifestyle, more.
Speaker 4: Better moments than not better moments, even though there will be some not.
Speaker 1: Better moments, and people should date in that mindset.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is actually crazy if we're going to talk about that with Brian on our podcast, so definitely listen to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, good job you guys. As far as us uh like, share, subscribe, follow, and all the good stuff, not just our podcast, but homanity to review your reviews, I mean a lot in the podcasting ecosystem. Shoot us an email Great Love Debate at gmail dot com if you have questions, thoughts, opinions about this or anything else, because as always at the Great Love Debate, we never stop making love. See you next time.
Speaker 2: The Great Love Debate. It's the Great Love Debate.
Speaker 3: Degreat Love Debate. It's a Great Love Debate.