Speaker 1: Well, am, my friends, what's going on?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: You know, it's a beautiful stormy day in London and you are angry goose.
Speaker 2: So it's a beautiful stormy day here too, in the Panhandle.
Speaker 1: Mmm, in God's country now, I'm just kidding.
Speaker 3: I feel I feel as though it is a different kind of stormy there.
Speaker 1: But yeah, probably it's fine. It's all rain, it's all nice. It's you know.
Speaker 2: One of my favorite things to say is we really needed that rain. You know what we did need the rain. It's too hot, you need to tamp down the pollen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my bitch has loves to say that we really needed that rain. Like the park, I ride.
Speaker 4: My bike through whatever. I'm like coming up to town.
Speaker 3: It's been like cooked to ship, you know, like completely brown, and at the moment it's all green again, and I'm like hurry.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, I love walking my dog and taking my hat off and what in my head wiping my arm across my brona. I really could use some rain and people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it. I love it, you know.
Speaker 2: I I'm not always like I. I sometimes have trouble with small talk because I am socially awkward.
Speaker 1: As you might have guessed and.
Speaker 2: Uh, you know, so, like I do kind of get when people are like I don't like small talk that much, Like I get that, But when people are like small talk is stupid, it's like, no, that's the that's the flavor. That's the flavor of life right there, because it's just people being like, yeah, you know, that weather interesting. You know, somebody being like too hot today. It's like, no, I like it, you know, it's not nice. I was like, okay, cool, what you know. There you go, there's something you can talk about.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're all experiencing the weather. God damn it. So it's it's.
Speaker 3: One commonality, no, we have, so yeah, I'm loving it for me. It's much better than the heat way the other week.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I'm in a good mood and uh ready to fucking get to with the questions. We probably should since I came in late. Sorry everybody, a little peak behind the curtain, guys, I was late.
Speaker 4: It's me so so yeah.
Speaker 1: It's all good.
Speaker 2: All right, here we go, Hello, and welcome back to We're Not So Different, a podcast about how well.
Speaker 4: We really need that rain?
Speaker 1: That rain.
Speaker 2: My name is Luke, and I'm always saying that to people, and as all as I'm joined by doctor Eleanor Yanniga, who is also always saying that to people.
Speaker 1: Folks.
Speaker 2: Today we got mail and in our ongoing effort to catch up on the mailbag patron questions, we're back to answer a few more for the month of August, which, as we all know, is the worst month of the year, at least here in the Northern Hemisphere. I am assuming that in the Southern Hemisphere, if you are listening, it is probably quite nice. If you're in the Southern Hemisphere, I would like to let me know how the weather is there. Please reach out and I will give an update.
Speaker 4: Worst month in Australia is February. I can tell you that. I'll tell you that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can believe it. Yeah, there's your August. Not only that, you have to get Valentine's Day in there too, the worst holiday not because not because I don't like showing affection, but because it's made up bullshit so bad. Partners can like come in and be like, here's a bunch of shit I got you, please don't leave me, and they're like yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: And like yeah, I hate it anyway. Yeah that's me about Valentine's Day. If you like it, that's cool though.
Speaker 2: Anyway, we got some questions here, and you know the deal. If you want to ask us questions like these, please do subscribe to the Patreon Patreon dot com slash w nstpod five bucks a month. You get access to over ninety bonus episodes. All these episodes add free. You can ask us questions, you can join the discord and all that kind of shit. So yeah, let's do it. We got a good one here. We've been spain as the same griebo. Ask does each Simpson have a dominant humor? I'm discounting Maggie on account of her being too young to know what her dominant humor is, And yes, absolutely, I think so Okay, So I had to look up like the chart because I do not remember what they stand for. I just don't like that it's indastinguishable from modern astrology to me, Sorry to all my medieval humor's heads. But so I think the one I think like Lisa is black bile.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's absolutely.
Speaker 2: Thinking, you know, all that sort of stuff. I think Marge is phlegmatic, so phlem I guess because she's just she's she's quiet until she's not. And I mean she does go along with a whole lot of bullshit. She's you know her one of her big traits is just being good natured.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I was gonna put her at sanguine myself.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, oh yeah, I can see that because she is very she is very social.
Speaker 1: She's like, you know.
Speaker 4: She's she's like she's bobbing along.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I can see that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I will definitely defer to these on you because I could just be looking at something stupid that someone put on.
Speaker 4: I was like, actually, that kind of it's kind.
Speaker 2: Of Homer choleric, like blood because he's just fucking nuts all the time. Everything is insane. He's quick to do everything, quick to anger, you know, all that sort of stuff. He's not organized or you know anything, but.
Speaker 1: You know, he he's Homer.
Speaker 2: And I barked sanguine Coleric sitting in the middle.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Because Bart is social and he like really has issues concentrating. But like a lot of that stuff doesn't really described him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like, and I guess that's the thing is that I think that he's like kind of choleric, you know, but like, yeah, it's difficult to say, right, it's difficult to say.
Speaker 4: And I don't think that like we I don't know.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't call him phlegmatic, is the thing, Like, I don't think that we have we don't have like four perfect ones here.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't say.
Speaker 2: That, right, No, you have Lisa and Homer I think are the two that fit like the best into one of these Lisa being melancholic because I mean all of these things, you know, poetic, thinks, deeply, takes things very personally, you know, compassionate, these you know, these are Lisa traits. And you know, Homer is fiery, quick to action, he does have keen interest, quick to judge, you know, and he is heroic in in circumstances. So you know, like those two and then Bart and Marge. You know, I don't really see an you know, an an ill mannered ADHD child where they fit specifically in the quadrant.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So that's me, you know, Yeah, I guess it's like, you know what what it ends up kind of being is that I think that we I think that we do have to kind of call Marge sanguine because I think that she is friendly and she and she's an idealist.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, oh, I'll defer to all of this on you because, as I said, I could just be pulling interest.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like I think that this works.
Speaker 3: I think that what what we don't really have is anyone that is like specifically phlegmatic, you know, like they don't there's no ere here. I mean, and don't get me wrong, you could say that about like melancholic people, right, but you know, there there's that poeticism that has it. There's it's just more like the you know. So yeah, I think that what we what we got here is in excess of like the of the caloric.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, that's what I'm going with.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm going with because in many ways, like Homer and Bart are just kind of like yeah, you know that they're they're the same but slightly different angles. So I think that like maybe Bart's just got a little bit more sanguine thrown in there.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Bart, Bart is Bart is Homer, like is the small version of Homer if Homer grew up later instead of growing up like in the fifties and sixties with his You know that that is what they are, and that's you know, that's the funny and they did that on purpose, like Homer's or Bart's supposed to hate Homer and he's just the same, Like you know, that's the the thing. Uh yeah, so uh we in Spain is just agreeable. Thank you very much for the question.
Speaker 4: I love this question.
Speaker 1: Yes, uh yeah, and yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to think if there's anybody who's just like a total fucking e or like I guess Millhouse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Gil, you know, yeah, Gil is yeah.
Speaker 4: Gil, there you go, Gil Millhouse for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Next we got one from dog God, who says, what's the deal with medieval automatons?
Speaker 1: To modern people?
Speaker 2: They seem like very advanced technology, requiring extensive skills to produce, But they seem to have been just been mildly impressive novelties which were only meant to show off and were never used for anything useful. What intellectual tradition allowed people to develop such intricate machines and why did it take so long for that knowledge be used in practical applications like clocks and sewing machines.
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 3: Well, I guess that the answer is a lot of the time, even when they do have them just as kind of like show off things. They are clocks. Yeah, They're like I'm showing off my clock.
Speaker 2: You know, like or a compass in China. They were like, look at my compass that fits on a giant fucking like table thing and goes.
Speaker 1: All which ways. Like oh that's so cool man, thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Like, my favorite exhibition in the British Museum is the clocks, and they've got this great I think it's fifteenth century off the top of my head, a ship Autoumatac clock and apparently you would take it on a banquet table and it would like go up and down the table and shoot off little cannons like with the at the varying times and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: And I'm just like hell yeah, brother, yeah.
Speaker 3: And I guess the reason why they don't take off comes down to the fact that they it's a vastly different society that thinks about things differently.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right.
Speaker 3: The industrialized and post industrialized world's way of looking at everything that you make as a form of tech, which is applicable very specifically in terms of work, is new, right.
Speaker 4: They just lack that.
Speaker 3: They don't they don't have this same like oh yeah, and then this could be put to work thing because what is the thing that people do right?
Speaker 4: And this isn't to say that they don't have machines.
Speaker 3: They certainly do have lots of machine, but there's less of an idea that work could be happening away from humans.
Speaker 1: M h.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean, it's like, and that is.
Speaker 3: An intellectual leap and it's difficult for us to see that now because we just were stud in it. We're baked writing, right, but it is fundamentally really different, and that's what it comes down to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think the intellectual tradition here is just stories, Like they have stories of these things, you know, that the gods could do things or that God could cause things to be moved. So you know, you have the stories of the you know, the the Jewish lore of the of the Gollumns.
Speaker 1: And the.
Speaker 4: Lysis has at Autumata doesn't yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and uh, you know in ancient Greek literature they talked about how you know, this God made you know, the these watchdogs and this God made these things move, and.
Speaker 1: So I mean I think it comes from that. But they also had stuff.
Speaker 2: I mean there you know, there is the uh antiic thera mechanism, which is an old way of designing. It's a it's basically an ory to trace the four year cycles of the sun and predict eclipses, which it did. They also had similar things in China, of course, But I think, like in the Middle Ages, this is like it is, this is stuff made by extremely skilled artisans, some of the most skilled people in the world at the time, who would be able to do this kind of stuff. It's not going to be something that like a general like you know, you run down to the local store in your village of one hundred people and there's some guy there who can make like a brass molded automat time with hot wind moving through pipes like they you know, these people were like extremely skilled smith's and engineers for their time, and they knew how to do this stuff. So I mean, one, it's very hard too. It's a form of conspicuous consumption because how is anyone else going to like a ford or use this like on a massive scale. And I mean a good when I think I've talked about it before, but in Constantinople, they had this whole thing where they could like move the throne they get through like a percussive wind based system. And there's a quote from a guy named Leotprand of Cremona from nine to forty nine, and he was in the Emperor Theophilis's palace, and he says, quote lions made of bronze or wood covered with gold, which stuck, which stuck the ground with their tails and roared with open mouths and quivering tongue and quivering tongue. A tree of gilded bronze, it's branches filled with birds. Likewise, a bronze made of bronze gilded over and these emitting cries appropriate to their species. And the Emperor's thrown itself, which was made in such a cunning manner that at one moment it was down on the ground, while at another it rose up and was to be seen up in the air. So like this is something for the ultra ultra rich in a way for them to show off. And I mean it's just medieval conspicuous consumption, or a version of it anyway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I guess that you've really hit on something here, Luke, which is that you would need so many of these incredibly skilled people and a market.
Speaker 4: To sell things too. And I guess that's the thing is.
Speaker 3: That there's no market, right, Yeah, you don't have consumption in the same way.
Speaker 2: So yeah, unless you sold this to the three richest families in your region of Europe, like okay, you can go. There are like maybe four other regions where you can do that. So that's like, you know twelve, you sold twelve of these and now what.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, you can't have like an entire warehouse full of people doing this, right, like and who's got he's.
Speaker 1: Going to be repairing them?
Speaker 2: Like you like the like like this would require Yeah, this would require an extreme depth of knowledge that would have to be like specifically passed down so the stuff stayed into effect, and I mean a lot of it didn't.
Speaker 1: Like the stuff.
Speaker 2: The remains of the stuff we found is like badly worn and melted, parsonally melted and all that.
Speaker 1: Sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: So you know, yeah, basically think the reason they did it for clocks was because it made it easy because everybody's like, we do kind of need a way to figure out when the hours of the day are going by. That would be good, you know that for everyone. I think that was kind of an unspoken problem that they were all kind of like this whole system's real ify like like, but tomorrow we're waking up at like five thirty because you know what it's raining or what?
Speaker 1: Yeah, anyway, dog God, thank you for the question.
Speaker 2: Next, we have one that's close to my heart because I always find the character so funny from fluff Weasel, who says, if you ever covered Simon Magas in an episode of Simon the Biblical figure. I first read about him in the book The Rise of Magic in Medieval Europe by Valerie Flint, an interesting.
Speaker 1: Great book, really great book.
Speaker 4: Everybody good book alert, holy.
Speaker 2: Shit, she may go, there you go, and one of my second best bookshop finds. He seems like an interesting character surrounded by apocryphal like doing magic battle with Saint Peter in Rome. How big of a character was he in the medieval imagination? Okay, I'm gonna let Eleanor talk about him in the medieval imagination in.
Speaker 1: Just a second, because he was.
Speaker 2: But I need to say that this is this is what the Bible says about Simon Magas. It is an incredibly open and shut thing, and you will soon find out that he's one of the biggest biblical glup shitdows. People fucking love inventing stories from Acts chapter eight, verse nine. But there was a certain man called Simon, which before time in the same city you sorcery and bewitch the people of Samaria, giving out that himself was some great one to whom they all gave heed, from the least to the greatest, saying, this man is the great power of God. And to him they had regard, because that of long time he had bewitched them with sorceries. But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the Kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women. Then Simon himself believed also, and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip and wondered beholding the miracles and signs which were done.
Speaker 1: Now, when the.
Speaker 2: Apostles, which where at Jerusalem, heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John, who, when they were come down, prayed for them that they might receive the Holy ghosts, for it had not fallen on them yet. I'm not reading all that shit. Then they laid their hands on them, and they received the holy ghosts. And when Simon saw that through the laying on of the apostles' hands, the Holy Ghost was given. He offered them money, saying, give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost.
Speaker 1: Which it's not good, but okay.
Speaker 2: But Peter said to him, thy money perish with THEE, because thou hast thought the gift of God may be purchased with money. Thou hast either part nor lot in this matter. For the hot for thy heart is not right in the side of God. Repent therefore of thy wickedness, and pray God if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven THEE. For I perceive that thou art in the gall of bitterness and in the bond of iniquity. Then answered Simon and said, pray ye to the Lord for me that none of these things which he has spoken come upon me.
Speaker 1: So there you go.
Speaker 2: He's doing some heretical stuff. He hears the truth, he gets baptized, He backslides a little. He's like, I mean, can I want to be able to do this? I want to spread the word, you know. And he does something silly, and Peter rebukes him, which is all finding good, and rebukes him in the same way Christ, with the same stuff about how being rich is evil and you can't buy God with money.
Speaker 1: Nudge nudge, and sybody, you know what.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're right, my bad. Cool, that's it. That's that's the biblical story of Simon Vegas. Now, eleanor would you like to tell us how Simon Megas ended up doing wizard battles with Saint Peter on the fucking at the Golden Gates.
Speaker 4: Of listen, because it's sick as hell.
Speaker 2: Bra No, no, no, I'm not disagreeing with that.
Speaker 4: So it's really interesting.
Speaker 3: Basically all of the Simon Megas stuff comes mostly from apocryphal works, so we get stuff like there's the Acts of Peter, which are second century. Then you get like the Pseudo Clementines, which is like third century, and this is like this is about the conversion of the Clement of Rome. Uh and he is like it's like a buddy It's like Kung Fu. It's like a buddy thing where Clement of Rome travels around with Peter and like they like run into Simon majors, they like have to do like battle people.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: I think there's also in the Epistle of the Apostles which again Aprorhal he's in there. And that's not really surprising because the the Epistle of the Apostles is like a really apocalyptic in nature. So it's got kind of like a lot of talking about things like that, and so like these are all things that are kind of happening in late antiquity, and in late antiquity there's like rather a lot of interest in talking.
Speaker 4: About these things.
Speaker 3: And also, I guess the thing that you have to understand, both in a late antique sense and in a medieval sense, is there's a lot of confusing individuals in the Bible. Like, so what ends up happening is anytime like a wizard gets mentioned, everyone goes ah shit, Simon Mages right, Like, this is what happens with Mary Magdalen.
Speaker 2: Right, his name is a byword for an evil wizard. Now that's what a mega is, Like yeah.
Speaker 3: Exactly, Yeah, Like I guess we have this problem with Mary Magdalen, right, where like all of the Mary's in the Gospel's got confused and they're like, oh, that's just one bitch, right, and it is indeed three. So like you do see this all the time, and there's this kind of there's a desire to sort of square circles.
Speaker 4: I guess this is the thing to say about it.
Speaker 3: There's a real desire to kind of like pin things in place and say this person is this person. So you go through it and you just start going, oh yeah, that guy, like that guy in you know whatever is is Simon Magus. And then you get to the medieval period and everyone's like, hell yeah, brother, I love this guy.
Speaker 2: I love this shit, which is exactly what I do too, because like there will be a character and people like people have like a weird idea of this because like you don't, like most people don't like look at that guy and be like he's gonna be my glove shitdow, like when they see something, like you see something and it like just triggers this weird thing in your mind and they get kind of stuck there, like Yoda, Like Yoda has been stuck in my mind since I was a little little kid, because he's just so fucking weird. He's nine hundred, he's like thirty six inches tall, he can lift like starships with his mind. It's just like that's really cool. And so I totally get this. I totally get why. I mean people do this because the Bible's like he was a magic Not only did he do magic, he did it in such a way that these people believe them. And then he tried to buy the magic from Peter and like and so I get why they did it, but it's just so funny to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And like then people kind of get confused with it and they're like is he Paul Like yeah, yeah, yeah, and they're like, no, guys, he isn't.
Speaker 3: But like so for example, there's a there's a church in Rome, Santa Francesca that they say was built at the place where Simon falls in like he's super duel, and they're like they've they've created this, right, and like you know, basically like you will find it in the Nuremberg Chronicle. Yeah, it comes up, like you'll find it, Like I mean maybe Faust is based on him.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Maybe there's like an apocryphal story about.
Speaker 3: Like like Simon and Peter like going in front of Nero.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and like how and then.
Speaker 3: Like Nero like arrests everybody and it's like it's really interesting, right, So basically what it is is just a really good story that you can add to whenever you want. And it's just exciting, isn't it. Like I mean, we're talking about it for that reason. It's because like the ship bangs right, like.
Speaker 2: You can invent all like you can invent all of this stuff out with it. Like you could see like this guy like saying that and then like he gets bitter because Peter embarrassed him in front of everyone, and so he's like I'm gonna get back at him, and so then they're like firing like for real, they're like firing light from their hands, and like Peter is like deflecting it with you know, like cross it, you know, like spiritual crosses, like yeah, you like and you could do that, and you're just like I'm writing that ship who gives Like who gives a fuck?
Speaker 3: Like yeah, yeah, exactly, And it's like you can kind of do whatever it is you want with it. It's cool as ship and like that. That's just what it comes down to, is that it's way more exciting.
Speaker 1: I love it it is.
Speaker 2: I love Simon Megas. It's so funny because like the Bible's pretty open and shut, like he did something bad, he repented and like in the side of Peter and that's the end of it like you know, it's like okay, cool, but then it's like no, no, he thought he fought uh he fought Peter. He he was Paul and.
Speaker 1: What just what like what is going on?
Speaker 2: And it's like yeah, and he inspires like druids and some druid anyway, Yeah, Simon megas is a lot of fun Fluffiesel, thank you for the question. Next, we got one from a periodic who says, how did medieval people measure the strength of their beer or other alcoholic beverages? We know they had different strengths of beer, so how did they measure this? And a periodic went on to say that this was based on a story from a book about like how some woman who was a brewer was arrested and received some kind of punishment for doing understrength beer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so they don't have like a way of measuring it like we do.
Speaker 4: Like they're not gonna be able to Oh yo, the ABV is this brough You just drink it like.
Speaker 2: It's just man, that is so awesome because drinking, like how drunk you get is not just based like if you eat a bunch of bread beforehand.
Speaker 1: Yeah I know, I know.
Speaker 3: Okay, So so for example, I'm I'm just having come back from the Lowlands, where I simply love to be where all the beer is like six.
Speaker 4: Point five percent.
Speaker 3: Like you know, you have a zip like shout a shout out to to the brewery eye in Amsterdam have as you have a sip of eyewit and you're like, yep, that that'll fuck you up, Like you could you could taste it, you can feel it right as opposed to a delicious and refreshing pint of bitter here in the UK, where you're like, that's definitely like three point eight right, like you can you can just kind of like tell from mouth feel and and also you know by drinking a couple of them, like drink.
Speaker 2: A minute, this bitter is under You're just like why and there's a hole there's you know, it's just like the Simpsons, a whole a whole mob shows up because yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I mean I think that you you would kind of try to fake it sometimes, like make it sweeter, to make it seem like it might be it might be heavier than it is, and and so a lot of the faking it involves kind of like flavorings and things like that. So yeah, like and when you have a small beer now you can usually tell it small beer. I do like small beer, and I'm glad that it's coming back, like shout out great for if you're me and you live in the UK and you're like, I'm about to have a session for seven hours, but I cannot get trashed beyond yeah, like imagination, right, Like having table beer or having small beer around is like really really good.
Speaker 4: And so yeah, I think that.
Speaker 3: A lot of it is just down to kind of taste and then you know, just seeing if anyone gets shit faced.
Speaker 2: I guess yeah, yeah, yeah, that's all I got. I definitely don't know anything about that, but it is very funny to think about, because you just eat a big meal, You're gonna be like, wait a minute, this beer isn't and then you die beira, oh wait yeah, yeah yeah, this this beer ain't shit. Thirty seven minutes later, Oh no, I was digesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyway, any such cases these days, yeah, even into the modern day a periodic. Thank you very much for the question. Next, we got one from MG in your Face, who says were these smoking and curing meats in the medieval era? Hermon Iberico Soaprasada Capacola, all the different salamis, and the answer at least to the curing thing is dog. We humans have been doing that, did that like unironically, Like it's a very very very old practice.
Speaker 4: You know, the human lungs in his heart to cure meat. He does, you know, especially like in.
Speaker 3: A time when you don't have refrigeration and things like that. So like in terms of like preservation, that was what was going on up until we invented kind of like indoor indoor refridges, right, So it's like basically up until kind of like the nineteenth century, it's like whatever. So like most often like dehydration is really involved or just like salting things.
Speaker 4: Right, So you remember like the.
Speaker 3: Saint Nicholas legend of how like there's the three boys who get killed during a famine and then like the u and the butcher's like trying to salt them down. It's like because he's gonna make ham out of them, right, Like that's the thing. So and like you know they're really traditional ones, so like you know parmham or aha hamalonim.
Speaker 4: Barrico and things like that.
Speaker 3: You're only supposed to assault them, like you're not supposed to use anything else, and so that this has been going on for really quite some time that there isn't kind of like the same obviously like dop thing. But people will talk about people's varying sausage recipes or people's varying like salami recipes. What can be confusing to us is that it isn't always denoted as a different food and you kind of have to know by like context what they're talking about, like I gig you because of SLAMI.
Speaker 4: Is a sausage.
Speaker 1: It's just a your sausage, right.
Speaker 4: So and then also obviously rather a lot of smoking.
Speaker 3: Was going down, so like especially for fish and eels, because that is, uh, that's just like the way.
Speaker 2: They the only way it's going to stay good for longer than like thirty minutes.
Speaker 3: You're much more beholden in the Middle Ages to the seasons and things like that. So if you want to be able to eat things, you kind of like, uh, you kind of do it the best that you can, right, So, like we we do think that there's rather a lot of bacon.
Speaker 4: They talk about that.
Speaker 3: Pat was invented in the Middle Ages. That's a little French medieval way of coming into the world. And also a really great way of storing things. So yeah, patae really really big and then like uh you know like sometimes like aspects and things that those would come out right like, but we definitely know that they're drying a lot of things. We know that they're salting a lot of things, and you know they're they're coming up with new strategies right so like like with pate or milanges and things like that.
Speaker 4: So yeah, like it's absolutely going on.
Speaker 3: It's just that the thing that we lack is great documentation of it, like saying oh yeah and like here you go, like it's it's parmahat, Like we we don't have that as much, but we we do absolutely know like when when Pate came in, it's like because they're like everyone like fucking lost their mind, right like y.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I don't know. I just know they've been doing that ship for a long time and I enjoy it. Thank you to everyone who did that in the past. Good uh smoked and cured meat is good. You heard it here first folks breaking news em gin your face. Thank you very much for the question. Got a couple more, this one from Alie Kant, who says do you have a favorite sea engine and what and what one would you love to operate a replica of.
Speaker 3: Obviously I do, and obviously I do, and obviously it's a Trebbusha, thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've always wanted to throw a watermelon out of a tribute Sha my entire life. The first time I saw when I wanted to get a big ass watermelon, put it in there and just hook it just as far as it can go.
Speaker 3: As far back as I can remember, I've always operated.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like I mean, Trevasha is just whip dude. Like they're so good. I like how far they can throw things. I think they're a really good idea.
Speaker 3: Yeah, watermelons would be really fun to throw, you know, like even just like a bag of flour and see it poof up.
Speaker 4: That'd be quite fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's got to be Trebuche for me. I know it's cliche, but also.
Speaker 4: Am I wrong? No? I am not Trebuchet all the way, bitch.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I also think it would be really fun to skewer something with a ballista, just you know, just hit something with one of those giant ass quivers.
Speaker 1: Oh, that'd be great really.
Speaker 2: Just like you know, like you just like shoot it at like a piece of wood and you're like, oh, that's awesome. All right, cool, Well that was nice. Yeah, they're awesome. I would like to operate pretty much any of them because they all seem neat.
Speaker 1: But yeah, the there's somebody trebuche like the big like cook thing.
Speaker 2: It's just like you're like, it's so heavy, how's it gonna go? And then it just tosses it and you're like, oh that's awesome.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's so cool. Anyway, Uh, yeah.
Speaker 2: I am easily impressed by such things. Lastly, we got one from let Car who says if Eleanor and Luke could travel, could time travel back, and it's any event in the Middle Ages, what would it be? And I'm just assuming this is like in a time in a time machine. You can only watch, you can't touch or do anything. So yeah, Eleanor, what what she got?
Speaker 4: I kind of want to go back.
Speaker 3: I want to just go over to Smithfield and see what happened to wat Tyler. I want to see you who did my boy dirty? I want to see who the fuck stabbed this man?
Speaker 1: Did? Right?
Speaker 4: And I like and I don't I.
Speaker 3: Don't like to be English centric like this, but I'm very I'm very interested to know who's the fuck yeah killed wat Tyler. I just want to talk, all right.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Then I think like my second choice after that would be the first defenestration obviously, just to be like, hag get their ass. And then the third one is I just want to look at Granada. I just want to see it, like I just want to get like like Granada or Constantinople.
Speaker 4: I just want to see.
Speaker 1: Them interesting, you know.
Speaker 3: I would like to see that fucking automatothroom just just yeah, that's all, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think for me, like I mean, I think I've talked about it before. I want to be a fly.
Speaker 1: On the wall.
Speaker 2: For However, the meeting went between Polynesian wayfarers who made it all the way to South or Central America and like the indigenous people, like I just want to see how that went, how they were able to like negotiate a compromise where some people took took something, they took sweet potatoes back, and also they fucked the nead kids, Like I want to know how that, like, like I just I need to see how that worked. The Fall of Contantinople I would watch every second of that. It would be so cool. But one that I don't think we've ever talked about, mostly because I've really never had a chance to fit in a description of it. But in twelve fifty seven, there was a volcanic rruption on the island of Somalis or I'm sorry, it's the smallest volcano, which is on the island of Lombac in Indonesia. And this is one of the like five or six biggest volcanic eruptions of the last seven thousand years. It's up there with like when Thera erupted in the ancient era and then Mount Tambora and stuff like that. And basically this was such a large explosion and so big that it caused a year without summer after the fact and has been indicated as one of the leading one of the leading causes that changed from the medieval warm climatic anomaly to the later leading to the later Little I Sage along with eruption in the fourteen fifties that scientists can see but don't actually know where it came from, like you could see it in the record, which again is something I always find fun. But like I mean, I don't think it's surprised anyone. Like I love like the spectacle of this stuff. I Like it's just so like incredible to me in my head, and like I can it just seems so amazing and fantastic to see this thing that like we live on and like nurtures us and keeps us alive every day, and then all of a sudden, like for reasons we can't we don't really fully understand, you'll just get like a huge magma plume coming up and it will just like it'll poke through the like thin mantle that we live on and change the world for decades. Just like I mean, I don't think it's gonna happen, and we shouldn't be looking for a savior for this in any regard, But I mean, there is a legitimate chance that, like you could just have a huge volcanic eruption.
Speaker 1: That like.
Speaker 2: Hurts or causes a lot of the issues with climate change that we've had to regress. I mean, it would also kill a lot of people, and it would be horrific. But like that the ability to change things on that scale and it being something that we cannot predict because it's not because there's no predictive way about it. We barely under we don't fully understand how the planet works, and we certainly don't understand how to predict where magma plumes are going to pop up from like the molten core, and like it's just amazing to me, Like, yeah, I love it. I would want to see that. I would want to see, like just see like the pure spectacle of this mountain losing its top and the sky being darkened by something like like just incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Earth you.
Speaker 4: Scary, Like yeah, she's so creepy.
Speaker 1: What's it like?
Speaker 2: Well, like the other thing, like, okay, so the mantle that we're on is actually incredibly incredibly incredibly thin. And I saw it described is that if you stacked up all three of the the Rings books and you made that a representation for like the Earth from the mantle down to the core, the mantle would be as thick as one single sheet of paper in that Like that is that is how thin the thing we live on ry And I.
Speaker 1: Mean no, it's it's kept.
Speaker 2: It's kept things living on this planet for three and a half billion years. But it is like way for thin, and like volcanoes can just like pop up like we can predict some of them with regularity, Like they now don't think like the Yellowstone Caldera is gonna blow anytime soon. But like if you look up the if you look up a list of the most likely volcanoes to erupt next, you will find ten different lists and ten different answers. I mean, they'll have some overlap, but there's really no way to know. Like I think it's a Mount Pittatubo, which bleww in like nineteen ninety one, apparently as.
Speaker 4: The summer that year, I remember that show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, apparently has refilled its magma reservoir. Like again, they don't know, like it could be tomorrow, it could be like hundreds of years. It's insane anyway, geologists, if you do this regularly and I messed up something here, that's fine, Please tell me. I will be happy to be wrong. But uh, yeah, it's fucking yeah. Earth much like space. Damn Earth, you are awe inspiring and also very scary. Yeah, so I don't think it's any surprise that I would like to see that. And again, uh, if I get to go back in a time machine and they're like, you can only go to the Middle Ages, I'm like look, I don't care. I want to see the I want to see the asteroid that destroyed the dinosaurs.
Speaker 4: Please, let's let's yeah.
Speaker 1: Don't make me bag. I mean I will, but don't make me.
Speaker 4: Please, I would like I would like to see some dinosaurs.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna one day, one time, I'm gonna do a bonus episode where I just spend the whole time describing it, because like it's it is. It's my Roman Empire thing, like I figured, like it is, that is my thing, like it is just I think about it weekly, Like it's like the horrific way that the single worst day in the history of this planet, like since life has existed that we know of, is this day, and it destroyed things that weigh forty fucking tons, just threw them into mountains.
Speaker 1: Anyway.
Speaker 2: Uh, we're really small and it's fucking life is fucking incredible.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we should keep it going instead of being stupid. Anyway.
Speaker 2: Uh, the dinosaurs died for this. We cannot let a bunch of everything when our beautiful Tricera toopsis is and galim mimas is died for this, we cannot do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't. Yeah, folks, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: For subscribing to, or for listening and subscribing to We're Not So Different, a podcast where I occasionally do Persian reveries about something that happens six a million years that's I was born yesterday. That can't stop me from reading about it or watching computer simulations of what it would be like anyway. And that's also how you beat the YouTube turn you into a fascist algorithm as you're like, no thanks, I want to see dimosor I want to see diamond sword. Go bye bye, folks, thank you, thank you everyone. Eleanor what's going on with you?
Speaker 4: A great question? You know, the usual.
Speaker 3: So you can find me on Socials at Going Medieval. I'm gonna be so real with you if you find me on Blue Sky right now, I'm just melting down about UK politics on the regular. I guess that I should talk about the fact that I do have an Instagram which is called doctor eleanor Yanaga all over case because someone else stole my name. I mean, if you you know, I do put historical things on there, but a lot of time it's like a picture of a beer I'm drinking.
Speaker 4: But that's another way to keep up with me. And then I do. Yeah, I think that that's the major thing that is going on. I think the major thing.
Speaker 3: That you know, call to action is like, do you guys have you listen to our Crusades thing yet? Go fucking listen to our Crusades thing. That's the major thing.
Speaker 1: That's what's up, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know where if i'd me, Luca is amazing on the socials and everything.
Speaker 1: You can.
Speaker 2: You know, you can check out my old show people Say or Republic if you want to hear me talk about Star Wars. But yeah, that's about it. That is about it for me, and that's going to do it for us today. So thank you for listening and we'll see you next time.
Speaker 4: Bye, Dimosaur.