Speaker 1: Escape Escape Tonight to the China Seeds.
Speaker 2: In Typhoon, A Columbia Broadcasting System and its affiliated stations presents Escape, a new series of programs, of which this the fourth is Typhoon by Joseph Conrad, produced and directed by William N.
Speaker 3: Robson.
Speaker 4: Of all the great authors who wrote of the sea, none so captured the wonder and the horror of it as did Joseph Conrad. Tonight we escaped to the China Seas in his great story Typhoon, told in the words of a certain mister Jukes, chief mate of the China Coat Steamer Nanshan, a young man of very remarkable perceptions.
Speaker 1: I've been sailing the China so long enough to see some strange and terrible things, but nothing as bad as that was. My God himself forgot us, and the whole b. Lincoln universe set out to do us in that night. It was the how, But that comes later. I guess you can't really understand what happened on board the nan Shan without knowing something about our skipper, Captain mc whirr. Stupid mcquirr, I called him, and after sailing with him for three years, I ought to know what I'm talking about. My eye tagged him right off first day he came aboard to take command in Liverpool it was and mister Siggs, who was one of the owners, was showing him around the day.
Speaker 3: There's no more modern sheep of flute. I might say again that you've come to us very highly recommended.
Speaker 5: Captain mcquirr.
Speaker 3: We've a great deal of confidence in you.
Speaker 5: Thank you, mister Siggs.
Speaker 3: She's a brand new ship and a good ship. It is no reason why you shouldn't continue in command of her as long as you like.
Speaker 5: Well, that's that's fine.
Speaker 3: She'll be the smartest thing afloat in the Chinese trade.
Speaker 1: Why she's put together.
Speaker 3: Like a Swiss watch, precision built from stem to stern.
Speaker 5: Just a minute, mister Si, what is it that luck lock? What lock? Here on the cabin door?
Speaker 1: What about it?
Speaker 5: You'll notice how it's been set in the frame somewhat caught at an angle. The ship starts rolling a bit in the first thing, you know, it snaps open and leaves the door swinging. It really should be fixed, mister Siggs.
Speaker 1: That's Captain mccluirr, the best birth he'd ever had, new command of brand new ship, when, instead of pinching himself to see if he's awake, he complains out a lock on the cabin door. See what I mean? I see what you mean.
Speaker 3: I'll have it attended to right away. I think you will do all right now, Thanks.
Speaker 5: You, mister Simmons.
Speaker 1: Well, everybody knows what the China coast is. You haul out a Bangkok through a quick run up to Singapore and then shove off for Hong Kong two days ashore, and you do it all over again, three years of it, three years of heat, smells, weather, copra, silk and tea along in there somewhere, the owners decided to transfer the ship's registry to the Siamese flag. Don't ask me why they just did, that's all anyway. I can tell you I didn't like it. When you grow up under the Union jack you figure to go on sailing hundred. Not that the skipper, of course, could understand that kind of a feeling on not all stupidly.
Speaker 5: Quirk Hi, what is that, mister Jewkes.
Speaker 1: They just sent the new flag out from shore, sir.
Speaker 5: Here it is oh fine, fine, unbroiled. Let's have a look. Ah.
Speaker 1: Yes, in my opinion, sir, it's a queer kind of flag from man to sail under.
Speaker 5: Oh, and what's the matter with it?
Speaker 1: Well, it just looks queer of me, that's all.
Speaker 5: Well, now, let's see a white elephant on a red field just a minute, I'll look it up in the book. Here we are, Siam, white elephant on the field of bright red length exactly twice the breadth. So well, there's nothing wrong with this flag, mister Jewkes. Oh, isn't there not a thing? I hardly thought that could be. After all, these people ought to know how to make their own flag. It stands to reason, does it. Now you must have it confus with some other flagged mister Jukes.
Speaker 1: Well, all I can say is.
Speaker 5: Because you'll have to take care of the semen, don't hoist the elephant upside down. That is before that are quite used to it. I presume it might be taken for a signal of distress. And in that case, the way I see it, that the elephant stands for something like the nature of a union jack in the British farce.
Speaker 1: Oh you think so, well, it's like a bloom and Noah's art, That's.
Speaker 5: What it is, mister Jukes.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, sir.
Speaker 5: I can't see where the color of a flag could anywise affects the navigation.
Speaker 1: Of all right, Sir Alan struct the hands. It would certainly be a most distressful sight to see that elephant hoisted upside down. Well, that was Captain Mchuurr. Couldn't get a thing through his head if you drew him a picture. And that's the skipper we had to sail under on the maddest, wildest trip that any coaster ever took. We were loading out in Singapore. Half the cargo to already come aboard. Now the sun was blazing, and the smoke from our stacks hung over the decks like a blanket. The nan Chan's winches puffed away aft, and the cargo chains creaked and clattered across the Komans. I was in the ways supervising the loading, when mister Rout, the chief engineer, came.
Speaker 6: Up here, Jukes, what's going on down there.
Speaker 5: On the dark looks like a bloomin army.
Speaker 1: I don't know, mister Round. Must be a marb of coolies in the moon.
Speaker 6: Here comes a captain, would be some of his orders.
Speaker 5: Sir, keep between and get geared of cargo. There'll be two hundred foodies coming aboard, and we'll plant to bank them down there.
Speaker 1: Good lord, where are they bounding?
Speaker 5: We'll have to put in there this trip.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but we're not fixed a handle passengers, sir.
Speaker 5: They'll bring supplies aboard with them. Every man's got a comfort wood chest. So you'll have to nail deck buttons down there to keep them from lighting.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, I'll see to it.
Speaker 5: I've all been working on a plantation not somewhere, two year contract. They're dying to get home. It wouldn't have been quite right to turn them down. You may as well start them coming aboard into.
Speaker 1: Jukes, all right, saying all I number one boy, are the same? Lissen you savvy? Huh? Only fellow catch him here top side, catch them step step farther side, only time, chop chop, single file now, one fellow, one time, all the time. We do you suppose they carry on those boxes?
Speaker 5: Oh? I suppose they're personal belongings with the Jewkes, And of course they're two years pay in silver dollars.
Speaker 1: There as vicious a looking bunch of murderers as i've ever seen.
Speaker 5: Oh come now, mister Jewkes, one or two of them maybe, But in the main. I'd say they're honest workmen have to be to stick out a two year contract on one of these plantations.
Speaker 1: Just the same, sir. We better not take any chance.
Speaker 5: Oh, I checked, Lady Waits careful, and mister Jukes, we can carry them without any overloading a toll.
Speaker 1: I mean that, all right, sir. I'd better go hide the silverware in the officer's mess He's.
Speaker 5: A hard blab to understand.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I could say I had a premonition right then, and I wouldn't be lying anyway. That's how it started. At the hottest time of the year, two hundred and half civilized coolies aboard a captain with no more imagination than you could stick in your ear, we steamed out from Singapore and later course for the port of Fuchow. I tell you, dukes, I don't like it. I don't like it a bit. What don't you like about it, mister row the.
Speaker 5: Luks a thing something ominous about it.
Speaker 1: Oh, there's a bit of a swell running, all right. There's not a breath of wind. It's uncommonly hot. That's all gives a man the jumps. You're as bad as the second mate. He's been growing around like the voice of doom all day. That's the old man. I'll see you later. Keep your steam up the round? Are you calling me? Catain?
Speaker 5: I was, mister Jewkes. What with all the long conversation with mister Rout.
Speaker 1: Why nothing much, sir. I didn't see any harm in talking a bit. I'm not on watch, you know.
Speaker 5: No, no, nothing wrong with it, nothing at all. I just wondered what you could find to talk about.
Speaker 1: Well, different things. I don't know.
Speaker 5: I've seen people on shore sit around the table and talk for two or three hours. I never could understand it.
Speaker 1: It's just conversation that's all about nothing in particular.
Speaker 5: Seems pretty silly. Well you've noticed the parrometer.
Speaker 1: No doubt, Yes, sir, it's driving all in.
Speaker 5: Past quite low. Now take a look.
Speaker 1: I'll say it's driving bad.
Speaker 5: Time of the year for that sort of thing, very bad.
Speaker 1: Anything you want me to do, sir?
Speaker 5: Oh no, No, must be some uncommonly dot the weather knocking about somewhere, hey, mister Jewkes, Yes, sir, Well that's all. Just thought you ought to know about it. That's all. Carry on, sir, carry on.
Speaker 1: Oh, there's a heavy one all right, night And coolies must be having a time of it down below. Lucky for them, the old Girl rolls easier than any ship I've ever seen.
Speaker 4: Hey, you just wait?
Speaker 1: Oh you think we may be in for it?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: No, I don't think anything. You're not going to make a fool out of me that way.
Speaker 4: Mister Jukes. I didn't say a word.
Speaker 1: What's the matter with you? Second, why shouldn't you say what you think? If you're a minded.
Speaker 4: Herna, you don't catch me?
Speaker 1: Whoa, there's a little that's pretty rough.
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 1: Whatever is about? We're steaming right into it pack. You just tried telling the old man Nate, And why shouldn't I? Matter of fact, I think I'll ask him about this cross swell. It's getting worse all the time.
Speaker 6: I've known skippers to break some right good men for saying her whole long?
Speaker 1: Lest uh Captain mcquirrh, Yes, mister Jewkes, what is it? The swell is getting a good deal worse, sir?
Speaker 5: Yes, I noticed that in here? Anything wrong?
Speaker 1: Well? I I was thinking about the passengers.
Speaker 5: Huh what passengers?
Speaker 1: Why the cool is sir?
Speaker 5: And if you mean coolst say cool is, mister Jewkes. A man ought to say what he means, what about the coolies.
Speaker 1: She's rolling her decks full of water. Sir, I thought you might want to put her head at the swell for a bit until this goes down.
Speaker 5: Of course, so that's it is. Would have headed the swell four points off the corpse.
Speaker 1: Well, it's just for a while, sir, as well as high as this can't last long. That stands to reason, mister Jewkes.
Speaker 5: Take a look at the barometer, good lord, Yes, exactly. It's a dead calm outside, isn't it.
Speaker 1: There's not a breath of air stirring, sir, only that cross swell.
Speaker 5: I've been reading in the book here about storms. It's a funny thing. If a man believed everything written down here, he'd spend half his life running to get behind the weather. If I was to go by what this fellow says, I'd all to my course and come booming into food shelf from the north four days late, three hundred extra miles in distance, and a pretty bill for coal on top of it. I'll tell you, mister Jewkes, if I knew every word in here it was gospel true, I couldn't bring myself to do that now, sir, I guess and how's a man to know the book is right? If you dodge around the spot of deathly weather? How do you ever find out it was there in the first place? Answer me that? No, Oh, mister Jewkes. There's things that a man can't get from books. I've thought it all out this afternoon. We'll hold her steady as she goes.
Speaker 1: Whatever you say, sir, you're the captain. I guess i'd better ride up the log I'm going on.
Speaker 5: Watch good. I'd say we're heading into something you bit out of the ordinary. Call me at once if anything you shows up in the night.
Speaker 1: Mister Jukes, All right, sir, I'll say to it. And mister Jewkes, yes, sir.
Speaker 5: If you're going into the chart room, please close that blinking door. I can stand here the door bag.
Speaker 1: It, yes, sir. Eight PM. Swell increasing ship, laboring heavily and taking water in all decks. Still a dead calm and very hot. Batting down the coolies for the night. The barometer is still falling. All appearances indicate an approaching typhoon. All right, hacker, holder steady as she goes. That's all we can do, Why, sir, I'll sure try to well do the best you can hi, I sir, mister Jones, mister Jukes, I cantain. I'm coming stand back over here. Did the Dukes stop for the trail? Right, sir? Coming over, mister Jukes. Why didn't you call me? But there was no warning, sir. It is all of a sudden, about five minutes ago, blasted right out of a dead calm.
Speaker 5: The book was right in some parts. Anyhow, how's he going? The wheelhouse hacked?
Speaker 7: Is?
Speaker 1: Look? Aunt sair hi had Oh what about Hackett? He's on the wheel second is putting up shutters, and when the glass will go, she starts breaking any higher?
Speaker 5: Oh do you break higher? Mister Jukes?
Speaker 1: What's the higher? It's a happy thought. I haven't ordered, of course, I say, hey, straight at the winds?
Speaker 5: Good and the else we can't do, mister Jukes, understand, yes, sir. Something a man can't fight in books. Just keep her at it, that's all.
Speaker 1: Captain our pots sign the bright away, that's all right, and the boxer tow them. My god, Now that can't be helped, mister Jewkes. I'm gonna do a mess like this.
Speaker 5: They're bound to leave something behindn't count three old heart. Ah, she's still rising all right, at one broke over the wheelhouse.
Speaker 1: We're done for for sure? What's that, mister Jewkes? You say something I said? Is there any chance an answer? Could she live through a chimney?
Speaker 5: We can hope, so loud east. She's a good ship, That's all a man can ask you.
Speaker 1: What's that? Sumbody yelling? Follow us on the forward accent? I'm here, starving bread man.
Speaker 5: Shouldn't be on that deck this he has to. That's a bit dangerous work over here? What's the trouble? Boson in Chinese?
Speaker 1: Sir? Way, hang on the Chinese? What about them? Eve? All fetched away?
Speaker 7: Sir?
Speaker 1: One big lump. It's horrible. Now what do you mean? Matched away?
Speaker 3: Rolling around in the hold in one big lump, screaming like brooming mini accer?
Speaker 5: All a drip, mister duke, Yes, sir, I can't make head in the tailor this. I guess you'd better go below and see to it.
Speaker 1: Put things in order. But what shall I do, sir?
Speaker 5: I can't tell you up here? Find out what's wrong? Straighten it out, that's all that's off. Take the motion with him.
Speaker 1: I'm going to try with the wheelhouse, all right, So come on, bos right, just strike it out. That's all.
Speaker 5: Well, how's the wheel stand?
Speaker 4: Hacket?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 5: Heare?
Speaker 7: She go?
Speaker 5: Sir? Do you realize of course we've hit the typhoon?
Speaker 1: H sir.
Speaker 5: Sorry, I can't give you a relief. Can you manage a while longer?
Speaker 1: I'll hold it to the course as long as there's a ship by night turn That won't be long.
Speaker 5: Oh, anything wrong?
Speaker 1: Second wrong? We're always goodish take been as what's wrong?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 5: Now, I wouldn't say that is still a floater and we've got it lucky here on deck, plenty of chance to see what's coming before.
Speaker 1: It hits us.
Speaker 5: A man always feels better when we can see what's coming.
Speaker 1: It's a different.
Speaker 5: Story down below there, not having knowledge of what's going on, not knowing if we're afloat or sinking. Now there's the lads that's got it tough. No one's down there in the engine room. Swing to it.
Speaker 6: He've been doing it. No time now for the steam to drop. You're right, that throttle bield can let her ripper shaft down when she.
Speaker 1: Breaks far of those walls. Hello, bridge, Hello.
Speaker 6: Bridge, Why don't the answer the speaking to him? Can't tell if they're dead or alive there?
Speaker 1: Hello, hello captain? How is it on deck? Bottom?
Speaker 7: Up?
Speaker 1: It depends mostly on you. So far, so good. We're holding a full head of steam.
Speaker 6: Well, don't let me drive her under, sir, as shop.
Speaker 5: To see uit defeat up here?
Speaker 1: Drop to keep moving enough the steer, I understand, sir, Come on us to do very well as long as the wheel I'll stop right all gone? Hello, Hello, said the captain. Mister run. I've got to talk to him right away. Wait a minute, Jukes, something's happened up there? Hello? Hello, rich you're still there?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: Anything wrong here?
Speaker 5: Oh? Not now?
Speaker 1: A second mate's huss overboard? Oh no?
Speaker 5: Must is love awkward sucking stops not to fuck him out to back here?
Speaker 1: That Jukes, Yes, let me talk to him, Captain Jukes. Here the boson and I just took a look at the tween dick. It's them blowing boxes, sir. They've all broke loose and smashed the bits, and the coolies are fighting like crazy man for them silver dollars that's rolling around. I think we good. They're two hundred of them, sir. They're all trying to kill each other.
Speaker 5: What a stop to.
Speaker 1: Put a stop to it? How they're crazy man. They'll kill anybody that came on that deck.
Speaker 5: A second, mister Jukes, you're you're off. Make it clear of them, We.
Speaker 1: Make it clear to them.
Speaker 5: Oh yes, after that, But gather up all the money.
Speaker 1: I can't have it lying about on the deck. Wait here it comes, see.
Speaker 6: As a fat here's the one that does it. That that must have swept the deck from stem to stern. Hello, hello, Captain MacGuire.
Speaker 1: You are right up there, all right.
Speaker 5: All the boats and half the starborn quail carried away. Nothing serious, do nothing, don't worry about this.
Speaker 1: Out, carry on, nothing to worry about.
Speaker 6: Carry on, Hey, you're all right, captain, as you say, sir, carry on, carry on?
Speaker 1: Hey now, hey, no where.
Speaker 5: Are you going?
Speaker 1: Where are you going?
Speaker 6: Eh?
Speaker 1: Where do you think I'm going? Your loud mouth on the wind bag? Not on that deck to get myself murdered. Ha ha ha ha, Nothing serious, jukes, nothing to worry about. All blooming world's falling apart, and I'm out picking up silver dollars. Captain's orders. Come on posting here, don't usually, Old Jukes, gury old boy gury on looking short the dorm on and I'll help her my gallant skipper says, to stop the fighting. Who was our fire? All right? The quiet town? Come on, Posa, stow it there. Your fools cut it out down to your harey authority. Huh, they're clean out of their heads. You gotta drive him with the bullhead back up though, Hey, none of that head to it, Poson. You gotta show the much more. Nothing else to do back up there. Captain's orders are all follow me.
Speaker 8: Poston, count h. I was just thinking, what about back there? Don't fight the last skipper's orders go you can one of the old lady and see me now, she'd.
Speaker 1: Say, Oh you charlie, sailor, lad, keep moving the jam on my posting at the bottle. Captain, Why are you, captain?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 5: Were here, mister jukes h you got everything cleared up down below? Oh?
Speaker 1: Oh yes, we we took care of everything, sir.
Speaker 5: I thought you would. The wind fell all at once, stopped cold. It's been like this for ten minutes now.
Speaker 1: If you think it was an easy job to bring that marb under control of.
Speaker 5: The coolies, oh say it wasn't. I had to do what's fair by them, though, mister Jewkes, that barometer in there stands at the lowest point I've ever seen a glass in my life.
Speaker 1: He may never be more of it.
Speaker 5: The worst yet, according to the book, it'll break sudden now any minute. Top for two of win, and then it hits.
Speaker 1: She's taken a horrible beating, sir.
Speaker 5: She has, indeed, and she's in for a worse one.
Speaker 1: We haven't much chance, have we, sir.
Speaker 5: She may come through it. She's a good chip.
Speaker 1: Here's the first puff.
Speaker 5: It'll hit us hard when it comes. You left them pretty safe, did.
Speaker 1: You, the coolies, we strong lifelines. Gives them something to hold on to.
Speaker 5: Good. I'd like to give them all the chance we can. Whatever happens.
Speaker 1: Ah, they'll be all right, Sarah. I broke out rifles to rade of the crew. Put them the guarding all the companion ways leading off the team deck.
Speaker 5: You arm the crew, mister Jukes.
Speaker 1: Oh sure, we won't have any trouble with them now, says mister Jukes.
Speaker 5: Please have those rifles return to the magazines at once. There'll be work for every man aboard in a few minutes. I can't spare seem under stand around and hold rifles when it isn't necessary.
Speaker 1: Isn't necessary, don't you realize those savages. You think we stole her money, but they'll tear us to bits if they ever get out of that deck.
Speaker 5: I think they'll understand we're dealing fair by them. Collect the rifles to Jukes cap.
Speaker 1: In its suicide. The best thing we can do is turn the whole mess over to your faridies in food show. If we have a get there, well, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I figured that when anything happens on shipboard, it's up to me to settle it on shipboard, part of the duties of commanding a vessel, mister Jewkes. I have no doubt I'll be able to reach an understanding with these men later.
Speaker 1: Understanding you want to see him a while ago and me and the person was down.
Speaker 5: There lost their heads a bit. I guess we wonder at that when here she comes. Pick up those rifles, mister Jewkes. And something else. Yes, Captain, if anything happens to be you'll be in charge. Only advice keep for facing it. Best t wait to get through facing it.
Speaker 1: That set up for any man, all right, Captain. I'll remember one thing, bore, mister Jewkes.
Speaker 5: Yes, sir, something that always helps to see is to keep a cool head.
Speaker 1: Just keep a cool Oh no, keep a cool head. A stitch in time saves nine a snow what I'm the name. I haven't here to deal with a man like that. There was a clear blue sky and bright sunshine in the morning. We steamed in the food shewl harbor. Mister Rout was leaning on a hatch combing smoking a pipe, and the bowsam lounges on the four deck, waiting to pick up a line from the wharf. And the captain, well, he was engaged in the most unusual occupation. He was sitting at a table on the four deck, handing out silver dollars to them, blinking coolies, all divided up even the same amount to each one. Craziest thing you ever heard of in your life. You see the way the captain figured it. Since those blighters had all worked for two years at the same rate of pay, then their savings ought to all be about equal. As you can see. Of course, it was necessarily true by any means, wasn't even legal. But you couldn't tell him anything. Well that, mister Jewkes, Yes, sir, coming captain.
Speaker 5: Well, mister Jewkes, I've disposed of our little collection of silver dollars that's great.
Speaker 1: Only way to those boys get a sure and file claims against them.
Speaker 5: Oh no, they won't do that. As a matter of fact, they we're quite pleased at having it arranged that way. I figured it might avoid a lot of arguments later, they said, the spokesman the thank well, I'll be mister Jewkes. You may as well give all the hands six hours leave before we start working the cargo.
Speaker 9: Whatever you say, captain, Oh yes, and before the carpenter leaves. I wish you'd have him fixed the lock on that pot cabin door. But that seems to have got broken somehow during the storm.
Speaker 7: I suppose I can't stand to hear the door banging, mister Jewkes. I, sir, I I don't suppose it matters that the ship is battered from stem to stern, half her topside carried away and smashed, so she looks like a blooming tins and freighter.
Speaker 5: Mister Jewkes, I don't understand you.
Speaker 1: You don't understand me, sir. Do you understand that we've come through the worst typhoon in the China season twenty years were the only ship that got through.
Speaker 5: It's true, I suppose we were a bit lucky.
Speaker 1: Lucky, sir, with two hundred murdering cutthroats running loose a board in the very heaven's doing their worst.
Speaker 5: We had a job to do and we did it. That's all, mister Jewkes. That's the important thing.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, that's that's all. That's all, he says, A job to do, A bit lucky. What can you do with a man as thick as that? And then as I started to turn away, Captain mcchhuru said something else. It surprised me. With emotion wrung from the very bottom of his soul, he he uttered words, I never thought I'd hear it coming from so so stupid a man.
Speaker 5: But I'm glad we brought her through, mister Jewkes, truly I am. She's a good ship, mister Jewkes, A good ship. I should have hated to I should have hated to lose.
Speaker 2: Pyphoon by Joseph Conrad was adapted for radio by Less Crushfield and produced and directed by William N. Robeson, with Bright Lovejoy as Jukes, Raymond Lawrence as Captain mcquirr, and Cy Kendall as Rout the Engineer. The special musical score was conceived and conducted.
Speaker 5: By cy Fewer.
Speaker 2: Escape is presented by the Columbia Broadcasting System and its affiliated stations each week at this time. Next week, we invite you to escape to Paris five hundred years ago in Robert Louis Stevenson, story of a fascinating adventure.
Speaker 1: The Sire de Montroise.
Speaker 2: Door and so good night until next week at this time, when again it will be time to escape. This is CBS, the Columbia Broadcasting System.