Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, ladies and gents, five o'clock on a Friday. The weekend has started for many of you. Feels like the weekend has started for me. But you know, I got another hour of work to do. It's hard work.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 2: There's a Fox sports radio host who I believe has since retired, but he used to used to start each hour start his show with slaving over a hot microphone, which I always thought sounded so cringe, and as I said it, I feel like it was even more cringe coming from me. But you know, believe it or not, folks, this is work, but it's not bad work. It's a lot of fun. And it's even more fun whenever we have college football, and ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 3: It is here.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's been here. Week zero is in the books last night. You know, the first Thursday is always kind of felt like when it really gets started, because you know, you usually have some better games and I don't know, Week zero's weird, man, Like I'm not anti Week zero, Like I'm find that they have it, but we all know that it's real, but it just doesn't feel real because nobody else is playing. I think, you know, if you triple the amount of games that you have typically in week zero would be a little bit different. But anyways, last night I watched I was going back and forth with a lot of games. I mean, I watched a good chunk of NC State in Western Carolina, because Western Carolina had them on the ropes early on. That NC State team did not look like one of the better teams in the ACC, and they did end up finishing strong and whatnot, But I mean, like, you don't want to have that kind of game against an FCS opponent. And here's what's crazy say that is those words just came out of my mouth, like NC State could have just done what a lot of teams do here and there when they play those games like just not. I mean, it's it's hard to get up for a game like that when you know you could probably you know, mail it in and still win by a lot. Now, they learned the hard way because they were I mean, that game was in doubt in the third quarter until they kind of scored that touchdown midway through the third and kind of you know, I wouldn't say ran away with it, but you know, kind of did. But the other games I watched, I didn't. I didn't watch a ton of the North Carolina Minnesota game until the second half. And of course, you know, just never I had Minnesota money line. John and I both did, and I never really felt good about it at any point in the game. But that fumble whenever Minnesota's driving in the second half and they got a fumble that, you know, it was just random. I don't even think the guy got hit. And then it bounces and there's another receiver that was right next to the receiver who fumbled it, and it just popped right up right in his hands and he.
Speaker 3: Kept you know what play I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: God, Yes, you're talking like I'm just thinking, okay with that kind of stuff, like you you got, you've got too many good breaks that have already come your way. There's no way you're gonna be able to finish and win this. But that's just how I'm how I'm you know, I was criticizing John earlier for being not positive enough about our bets. But when it's actually going on and there's a game like I always just assume no matter, like something's gonna happen to where I'm not gonna get this. But sure enough, they put themselves in a position to kick that field goal to win it. What was that like forty six yards or something like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that that was his second miss of the night, And yeah, was a big ten kicker of the year last.
Speaker 3: Oh was he?
Speaker 2: I don't think I knew that.
Speaker 3: Wow. Yeah, that was a toughaon by the way.
Speaker 2: That's that's a tough That's a tough night for a guy who's proven to be a good kicker. And then in the opener, you got a chance to beat a Power five team and your Power four team and you just like, I mean.
Speaker 3: You choke.
Speaker 2: Yeah, clearly there were other things that could have put them in a better situation where they needed that, But like, you got one job to do make kicks and.
Speaker 3: He missed two that you know, one would have been the difference.
Speaker 2: It's right, that's right. And then I didn't I do I can't watch call Dolrado John. I watched a little bit and I kept having to change the channel because Mark Jones, who you know is is an announcer for ESPN. You know, he's he's good at what he does. I'm not a huge fan of him, but like that doesn't mean he's not good. Everybody's got their own taste when it comes to announcers that they prefer. He's just not really my cup of tea. But good god, I mean, he just I can't say what I want to say.
Speaker 4: But the whole broadcast was kind of a big promo for Colorado and coach Prime, was it not?
Speaker 3: It was?
Speaker 2: And I don't know why they're they had, like why.
Speaker 3: They were talking.
Speaker 4: And this is not not to say that you shouldn't mention these things, but they kept mentioning like, oh, oh, the all the town loves them. You brought in so many different like like they have the enrollment and stuff. It's like fifty percent up and you selled out tickets for the entire season. All that stuff is good. But when you make the entire broadcast about that and they don't have anything to show for on the field just yet, it seems like you're promoting something that doesn't have any substance behind it just yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's what I understand how this works, right, Like you could be the TMZ of college football, like Colorado is and win four games five games. But if you are still generating, you know a lot of viewership, and you command a lot of attention, which Deon Sanders does. Those that work in broadcasting programming, they're gonna play the hits. That's how this works. So if Colorado continues to stay like, for example, Kentucky basketball, if Kentucky basketball was a team that for four or five years was you know, five hundred at best, which would never happen, I don't think. But if it did, there's still enough people that care about Kentucky basketball to where they would still get primetime games.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Colorado, I mean, they've not been relevant in college football, like I mean.
Speaker 3: I think they may have. They have champions they do.
Speaker 2: They do have a national championship, but it's like one of the most random championships of all time, and I think it's one where there were multiple teams that could claim they won a championship. And like, Deon Sanders is an interesting character. He's flashy, he's prime elite football player, a guy who was good enough to play both professional baseball and professional football at the same time. Like he's a walking promo. But now he's coaching football, and he hasn't done anything that shows he's good at that at this level. And yet none of that matters because again, if they continue to have this much attention surrounding them, he continues to, you know, be the way he is, but yet they still have little success. I just think this is always going to be how it is, and I hate it. I'm such a hater, I guess.
Speaker 4: I mean, it almost feels like they're milking it because they know it's not going to last much longer.
Speaker 3: That may be part of it, too, Yeah, I mean, because.
Speaker 4: If they if they suck, what if they take a step back, you think he gets fired. I don't know, man, An they're selling tickets, maybe it doesn't matter. But at the same time, if you take a step backward, there's no way you sell out as many games next year before the season even starts.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know a single Colorado fan. I'm gona assume you don't either, right, correct, So it's hard to like check the pulse of their fan base in any way. But I did see last night on the message boards. Well I wasn't on the message boards, but what is it message board genius that Twitter accounts. That's great, they'll go out in real because people I guess people go to the message boards like during games, and like that's how they do. Like I guess their game threads where everybody's communicating with each other within the message board while the game's going on, and you know, they they were showing I saw some posts during the game in after to where their fans were critical of Dion and the staff, like because they were I mean, they could have lost that game. It came under the last play, and yes, that's probably a game they would have lost last year, Like I saw somebody say that. But when you carry yourself the way that he does, and he has such an arrogance about himself as a coach to where he's deciding who can and can't ask questions at his press conferences, he's live about stuff that you shouldn't be able to lie about. Well, I can't prove that he's lying about it, but I don't believe him. But like to do all that and then be, you know, maybe six and six this year, like I just anybody else who carries themselves that way and doesn't succeed would be ridiculed in a major way. I just don't think that's ever happening with Deon Sanders. It will by like random, because again I could feel it last night, man, I could feel it as we were watching, and I had to change. I just I couldn't hear Mark what's his name, Mark Jones gargled Deon Sanders privates anymore. I couldn't hear, I couldn't listen to it. It's just, you know, over nothing. So I was going back and forth. But if if you had your phone out and you were on Twitter, which I know a lot of you people aren't. In God, your life's probably a lot better than ours because there's a toxic place to be. But everybody was wanting to see Dion Sanders lose to North Dakota States in his first game of year, number two, And at that point, you know, the app itself might have melted to the you know, and no longer existed because it would have been insane. But I don't know, man, And he's got his another thing. He's got really special players. His son's a great quarterback. I mean, Hunter is the best player in college football according to a lot of people. So like, why are you needing to sweat out against North Dakota State, and yes, I know North Kota State is good, but if you're prime and you're talking the way you're talking about being in a playoff this year, I don't care where they are as far as being an FCS team. They could have won ten straight national championships. As an FCS team, you shouldn't be in that situation where it's that close.
Speaker 3: And like there's no universe where Georgia struggles in.
Speaker 2: This no well, and like somebody's at Like somebody asked me earlier when we were talking Dean Sanders this week on the text line, and I never answered it, but it was if they're good and like they back up the stuff like what's going to be your stance, well, then at that point they will have earned it, and let's be I mean, not that anybody would remember, or maybe some people do. Last year, I wasn't like on the Dion Sanders hype train, but when they came out and dominated TCU, remember that, and we didn't know TCU stunk, but they dominated him. Then they then they took it to Nebraska and there was somebody else they beat pretty bad.
Speaker 3: The first two or three weeks.
Speaker 2: I think I might have been three weeks they were delivering great viewership because you know, people wanted to see what can Deon Sanders do now that he's in the Power five. And they were winning and it looked like they were legit, and I was a believer, not to say that he was going to go on and win the national championship, but like he kept acting the same whenever they started losing, and like there's no there's there's no humility in any way because they could be three and nine this year and he will still have no humility and carry himself as if he's accomplished something special and that people need to bow down to him and treat him with a level of respect that you don't even treat the best coaches in the game.
Speaker 3: Like I just I don't know.
Speaker 2: I feel like an old curmudgeon, get off my lawn guy when it comes to this stuff. And maybe this is like the turning point for me where I am becoming the traditionalist that you know doesn't like arrogant people that are over the top, Like it's one thing to do all that and back it up as a coach. He's never done that. Now again, he's only coached thirteen games at this level. And I know what he did at Jackson State was cool, but it's not the same at all. That's a rare situation where that guy, a larger than life figure within sports, who would have the ability to recruit because he's primed but anything, the guy is a great salesman. So like him going and putting together a freakishly good team for the FCS level and winning at Jackson State, that's impressive. Credit to him, But that's not like I mean, that isn't that surprising And it really wouldn't have been that surprising if he got to Colorado and you know, they won six games last year and this year they won eight. But like again, he's carrying himself in a way that I just, you know, I can't fathom. And then again, I can't relate to him because he's Dean Sanders and I'm not, you know what I mean, So like the transition for him to go from this larger than life I'm an elite, all time great athlete, one of the few people on planet Earth they can say they were that successful to be good, if not great, in both sports. I don't know enough about his baseball career, but I know he wasn't just some guy that ended up on the team like Michael Jordan did at the Triple A. Prime was playing for the Braves. So like he has justification to have that inflated sense of worth as an athlete. He's not an athlete, he's not playing, he's coaching, and it's it's not like he should have a different PERSONA don't be a B be you. But also I guess what it comes down to is that there's a level of humility that he's never had to deal with as an athlete that you know now that he's coaching. It's clear it's not gonna there's not a compatibility there, right, Like he doesn't know how to be humble. Even if he loses every game he coaches, he still knows who he is as a player and what he's accomplished to where he's just gonna be he's gonna be arrogant about it.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I hate that I get this worked up about it, but here we are, at least I'm honest about it. You're not as bad as me, but I get the sense that you you are, like you wanted him to lose last night, right, Yeah, And it's I think what it is.
Speaker 4: I think why it bothers us is that it just seems like there's so much it's like a lack of self awareness, and I think it kind of reminds us of what we've really what you've dealt with and louisll fans have dealt with Kenny Payne over the last couple of years because and obviously the success level is a little bit different. But when you have somebody who refuses to be humble and you can make that comparison with Louisville, maybe that's why you it bothers you so much. And it does bother me too for that matter.
Speaker 2: And one thing that does irritate me is that he's at a point where he could say anything and nobody would call him on it, and that's just not what coaches can typically do with the platform like this is from last night's game.
Speaker 3: Twenty five yard twenty five yard line.
Speaker 5: DURA has been a swirl of noise and activity around this Colorado program for.
Speaker 6: The last couple of weeks.
Speaker 3: Let's listen to it and coach Prime's works. Eric Kristensen with CBS Sports Colorado see.
Speaker 1: Tyler, I'm not doing none with CBA's next question with you. It's above that you got none to do with you. I got love for you, I appreciate respect you, and got none to do with you.
Speaker 2: They know what they did.
Speaker 3: Coach John Ye of the Denver Post.
Speaker 1: You don't let us man, why do you do this to yourself?
Speaker 3: Come on?
Speaker 5: Like it would be hard for me to really engage in someone I don't like or something I don't like.
Speaker 3: I'm just asking why and why.
Speaker 6: Jimmy Horn picking up the first down on that opening play, first down in ten and Coach Prime in meeting with him yesterday, he felt that you see, you know at four and eighth, three and nine news conference, this is one of the parts from the Denver Post story.
Speaker 5: But it wasn't that. Coach Prime told us he felt that a reporter in question questioned and attacked his faith and subsequently went over the line and thus his actions as a result.
Speaker 3: That's what he told.
Speaker 2: Us, So I thought Mark Jones and ESPN bringing that to the broadcast a private conversation with Dion Sanders. If you're claiming that this reporter from the Denver Post, Sean Keeler, if you're reporting that the reason you don't want him around, asking questions is because you feel as if he's personally attacked your faith. Shouldn't you have to back that up? Because people who work for the Denver Post are were outraged last night, including colleagues of that writer Sean Keeler, who says that that never happened and it's not worth repeating in a national broadcast, which I like, again, like, you can't just say things without having any basis. I mean, I guess you can, but like your university, your employers shouldn't shouldn't allow that to happen, Like it reminds me of Jim McIlwain. Jim mcawaine was a pretty good coach at Florida. They hit a rough stretch during I believe his third season, and if you remember, there was that naked guy on a shark on a boat and everybody thought it looked like him.
Speaker 3: You don't know what I'm talking about. I don't. I'm not recalling him. Maybe I have a son and I don't know that. I want to.
Speaker 2: Google Jim Mackailwayne boat and you'll see the picture and if you tell me you've never seen that before, that will surprise me. But then again, I guess it was like six years ago, now that I'll think about it. But anyways, he was dealing with media, dealing with fans upset, and in a press conference he made the insinuation. I mean, in fact, he did more than just insinuate. He said that his family's receiving death threats because of the struggling Florida program. Well, you know that's different than somebody attacking your faith. But you've accused a writer for the Denver Post of something that like, they should have the ability to defend themselves. And now that it's out there, according to Mark Jones, that Dion says, that's why this guy should be able to go to Deon Sanders' Deon Sanders employer and say that didn't happen. I would love to see proof, because now I know why you're claiming. I can't ask questions. But anyways, back to Macawayne, when he said that like that, I don't think anybody at that time felt that that was like a lie.
Speaker 3: By the way, I've never seen that picture. Are you mad that you looked at it?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: Thankfully it was censored. You know that's not him, but it looks exactly like him.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, and like it got shared and he he had to address it at a press conference like.
Speaker 3: It ain't me, it ain't me, which is very awkward.
Speaker 2: But anyways, Florida the university looked into his allegation, his allegations that his family had received death threats, because you can't just say that, So they looked into it and determined he made it up, and he got fired, like you know, like not to say that that's the same exact thing here, but like Deon Sanders can block the entire Denver media from coming and he could just make up something and nobody would actually call him on it because he thinks he can do things that nobody else can because he's Deon Sanders, and look, he clearly can. Colorado's letting him do it. I mean, I know how the SID business works, and I know that whoever is in charge of being the sports information director probably you know, lost a lot of sleep knowing they were about to put out the release stating that the Denver Posts beat writer is not allowed to ask questions because that's like who does that? That's I mean, there are coaches who've actually handled like deal. Sanders doesn't get enough criticism for being allowsy coach and yet he's blocking somebody from asking a question who may in fact have the stones to call him on some things. So again to answer the question, like if he is successful this year, I'm not going to turn into a Colorado fan, know, but like at that point, like he should be able to be like he would have reason to be braggedosious, and he did last year at the beginning of the season, and then we learned it like that was really nonsense. And then things that really just made it clear to me what this whole thing is. Like he had a good offense, but he'd you know, daddy ball. He didn't like how his son had a you know, a bad game, so he took the play calling duties away from the OC, who was overqualified to be his OC anyway. Like just little things like that. But last night the prime effect. They won four games last year, But yet they're talking about a prime effect. And this stuff does matter when it comes to like, you know, like it matters. I don't want to say this is nothing. But their program now has two point two point twenty six million followers on social media, and they only had two hundred and sixty eight thousand the year before that. Merchandise sales has increased by over five hundred percent. University applications is up fifty one percent among Black and African American students. Ten plus million has been generated from home game direct economic for home like basically the economic impact into the Boulder community has been substantial because of the amount of money that's coming in for these home games. People are showing up and they're selling out games. Which again that stuff is good and it matters, but at what point does all that stuff drop off when they don't win? Like how long can you keep this prime effect growing if they don't win? And again, he's only in his second season. I know, it's not like he's been there ten years, but you know, Dion, there's a little bit of Kenny pain there. And what I mean by that is for those who who really wanted Kenny Payne to like, you know.
Speaker 3: They wanted it to work out.
Speaker 2: Everybody wanted to work out initially and then like it was quite clear to me that it was there was no scenario with that it ever happened. Remember, people would say, give him time, he'll figure it out. He's still learning, he's a first time head coach. Like those are all like legitimate things to say, in most situations like that, however, how can he adjust? How can he figure it out and fix things when he doesn't think anything's wrong on his end? It was never his fault, that's dion. They could go four and eight this year and he will still be parading around as if like he's a great coach and like you know, it's everybody else's fault, like and I just if you're Colorado, Like you don't want that, do you, Because at some point it becomes a joke that like, you've got this guy who's brought you so much attention, but like, is he gonna win?
Speaker 3: All right? Quick break will come back? Keep this thing rolling along.
Speaker 2: We got to talk about some of our picks for tomorrow's loaded slate of college football. I got one game tonight that I'm interested, and there might be a second one. I don't know what to do with that TCU Standford game.
Speaker 3: John.
Speaker 2: Usually that means stay away, But when you got a small card like tonight, small board, I should say those are two Power Conference teams playing each other. I got an itch to get something going there.
Speaker 3: Stick with us.
Speaker 2: It's coffee and company. Fel about Thorton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety, we'll forget. We've got the pregame show for you tomorrow starting at eleven am and there'll be one hour before kickoff every week. And our pregame show this year is sponsored by the fine folks that at Jefferson Animal Hospital as well as Pellow Windows and Doors of Central Kentucky. We appreciate them and we now can announce it. We've got our postgame show with our new sponsor. We've been working on this and now it's finally got done it the last minute, which is good news, which is really good news. But our postgame show this year, the louisvill Football Postgame Show on Sports Talk seven ninety's going to be present by Alex R. White Lawyers who distracted Driver dot Com. So big thanks to Alex R. White Lawyers and his team. And yeah, exciting stuff. So I've got again pre and postgame duties this year. So just what you guys wanted, more Nick coffee, right and again I hope you can sense the sarcasm when I say that. So again eleven o'clock tomorrow and then kick off at noon and then as soon as it ends, right back here for the post game. So looking forward to it. Not really sure to expect as far as reaction, because you know, it should be a blowout, which I would hope that all the new players that we haven't actually seen play in a Louisville uniform, if they go out there and they make big plays, I would imagine there'll be a lot of folks that are calling in kind of expressing the excitement about seeing this guy or that guy, rather it be Tyler Shuck or ja Cory Brooks, the transfer from Alabama, receiver Thorick Griffin, the defensive lineman from Harvard.
Speaker 3: Who's got a lot of buzz.
Speaker 2: So that really is what stands out to me more than anything when it comes to the excitement of just getting the season started outside of you know that alone, knowing we're here and it's back a lot of the new players, That's.
Speaker 3: What I'm eager to see.
Speaker 2: And I'm aware that if they ball out against Austin p it doesn't necessarily mean they're gonna be able to do that when the competition gets tougher, but hey, all you can do is play is on your schedule, and tomorrow it is the Austin p governors that are going to be in town. To get a beating, and hopefully that's exactly what Louisville gives them.
Speaker 3: And when I.
Speaker 2: See other scores out there, seventy to nothing, that's what happened last night Arkansas and Arkansas Pine Bluff. I mean, I'm not saying louis has got to go win seventy to nothing, but I've made it quite clear this week when it comes to the money that is being paid to these schools, don't feel bad if you beat them one hundred to nothing. I mean, seriously, if you could do that, why not. It'll be a national story that you scored one hundred points and they can't claim to be victims.
Speaker 3: They came and.
Speaker 2: Got a fat check. By the way, how about Bobby p calling the plays last night for Arkansas and we'll see what he does when they play, you know, real team. But whenever he got the job as the OC at Arkansas, it was the first thing I thought of, he's gonna be their head coach when they fire Sam Pittman mid season. But then again, if they're having success, they wouldn't fire Sam Pittman because you know things are going well. So the scenario where that happens is their offense looks good, but they're inept in other areas and they're still losing, and the blame falls on Pittman. Bobby is Bobby. I mean he went from being the most hated man in Fayetteville to now being welcomed back with open arms because over a decade later, a lot of things have changed. Yeah, he you know, lied about a lot of stuff, had an affair with a volleyball player, allegedly wrecked his motorcycles. Some people still think he just got the hell beat out of him by that volleyball player's boyfriend. I mean, we'll never know what happened, but they have not had any level of success that is close to what Bobby betray, you know how buten he was the head coach, and Bobby, I think his best days as a coach are along behind him.
Speaker 3: I mean at Louisville.
Speaker 2: You know, he had a good run there, and I still think I don't think you forget how to be a good coach.
Speaker 3: But Bobby, you.
Speaker 2: Know, once he left Louisville ended up at Missouri State, he wasn't even that good. And Bobby's not exactly somebody you want to bring into your athletic department, not to say he's the worst human in the world, but like he ain't easy to work with or work for, which honestly one of the factors and why he started to fall quickly after Lamar, and I guess more than anything, it was, you know, I mean, even when Lamar was here and you won eight games in Lamar's last year, it still felt underwhelming. But Bobby couldn't hire a staff. I'm sure he didn't mind hiring family members because you know, it's easy. They're probably not gonna tell you no. You can boss him around more than you can probably anybody. But he also nobody would have gonna work. Nobody's gonna work for him. I mean when they went out and got Brian Van Gorder to play to take over the defense and paid him what they paid him, that was quite literally because they couldn't get anybody else. So I don't know if Bobby ever as a head coach again at that level, but like if they start, you know, let me pull up their schedule because now I'm curious and and I have no clue what would happened. But I kind of want him. I kind of want that kind of chaos to happen to where they get rid of they get rid of Sam Pittman just because they're they're struggling mid year. And by the way, they were already close to getting rid of them anyway. Right, So like, I feel like this year, if let's see who's our next games against. They got Oklahoma State next week and that'll be a big game for them. Maybe they end up getting you know, hammered. But if they beat the teams they're supposed to be, like UAB on September fourteenth, you know, let's say they end up beating Auburn, who's not expected to be great this year. I mean, they could beat Oklahoma State. I mean, crazy things have happened. You know, they do have a really tough schedule, which makes it i mean challenging. But like if their offense doesn't look like it's a problem and they still can score, but you know, things just aren't they're not winning, they may just boot Pittman because they feel like they've seen enough and just decide, Okay, we got seven games left. Let's see what Bobby Buttrino can do. And maybe he's not like the future. But then again, you got to keep in mind Arkansas the most success they ever had in football, at least in my lifetime was when Bobby was their guy. Now it was a long time ago and things have changed. But I don't know, seventy points last night for one Bobby Buttrino in the Arkansas Razorbacks. All right, some other notable takeaways from last night at least you know some things that stood out to me when it comes to our Thursday night football action. I think we had our first bad beat when it comes to sports wagering, Like where if you were on the wrong side of what happened in this Rutgers game, you can say bad beat and not just you know you lost a bet that you nearly won.
Speaker 3: Know, this is a bad beat.
Speaker 2: So it was Rutgers minus thirty eight and the total was fifty one and a half. So when I watch this, I get a little like, this is the last touchdown of the game.
Speaker 1: Now the Scarlet kites more than three hundred yards on the ground.
Speaker 3: Raymond burst it through the hole, not wanting to go to sa He doesn't.
Speaker 4: Raven's first tier touchdown bus triple zero is on the.
Speaker 2: Clock and the so he scored that touchdown to put them it was thirty eight to seven. He scored the touchdown. So then they of course, you know, as the clock hit zero, they they covered, right, they were winning by more than thirty eight. Well, because the clock hit zero, they didn't kick the extra point. So the total of fifty one and a half you didn't get because of that half point. I mean, like, that's that sucks. That's I mean, that's terrible, right, Like you could have like if you parlayed same game there and you did I'm taking Rutgers minus thirty eight and I'm taking the over, and you know, you put a sizeable amount of money on there. Let's say you put a fifty spot on there and that's how you lost. That's the kind of stuff that like that kind of makes you realize, like I'm never doing this again. I mean, you shouldn't be like that, because hey, it happens and it's all just for fun.
Speaker 3: But like that would suck.
Speaker 2: But you could also look at it, like put it this way, going back to John. John picked four winners in week zero, but he just didn't wager.
Speaker 3: That sucks.
Speaker 2: That's a punch to the gut. But like you can also move forward knowing like no matter what happens the rest of the way, you'll never have a worse week in wagering than Week zero. You didn't lose any money, but man, you could have won, right it Like it's in the past. Now we're moving forward. We're believing in the power of positivity. Another thing that stood out to me watching that guy score a meaningless touchdown late that he could have easily just laid down, but he kept fighting.
Speaker 3: You won.
Speaker 2: Like if you just did that bed alone where you did Rutger's minus thirty eight and you were sweating that at the end, knowing they're gonna hand it off, they're on the eight yard line, they might just take a knee, we'll see what happens. But this guy who'd never scored a touchdown before, he wants to get one right. He wants his first touchdown in this blowout victory. So if you end up cashing big there just because you did a straight bet of Ruggers minus thirty eight and you put a lot of money on it and it was a big winner for you, that's great. You're celebrating. But the way my mind is wired, I would instantly think like what am I doing? I was so lucky, Like it could have easily just taken a knee like it's complete luck. And sometimes that scares me when it comes to betting, because I'm like, what am I doing? Like it's all luck? But also it reminds me it's just for fun. And you know, that's why I don't put big money down, because even if I feel super confident about a bet, like, you never know what's going to happen.
Speaker 4: And why we were able to be a little extra invested in Minnesota North Carolina last night and we got to sweat it out watching Dragon miss that.
Speaker 2: Kick at the very end, and again the end result was bad. I had twitter out and I thought of you, and I saw that you tweeted something like damn Minnesota, and I felt because we were both sad together and we both are said, however, would you agree though, that just being in the action there, that's fun? Yeah, okay, because that's and I don't say this to be you know, it wouldn't be funny. But like I'm being sincere when I say this, I've really enjoyed seeing you get acclimated to betting on sports because it was brand new to you last year, right like, and it became legal here and obviously now you got your own sports book that you're working with, which is awesome for you, but you are you know, it's it's played out exactly how I would have wanted it to where you're doing it for entertainment. It's nice to win some money here and there, but like I think some people just think, like, oh, I'm not getting into that because I'll blow a bunch of money. Like no, you bet small and you you know, it's entertainment. And last I checked, regardless of your means, you try to find a budget to where you can, you know, have entertainment rather than.
Speaker 3: Say this going to the movies or something like that. I hate that. I was. I had no confidence he was going to make that kick last night.
Speaker 2: So did I. Man, that's and that's and that's a bad feeling, isn't it.
Speaker 4: It is a bad feeling you're just sitting there watching like you just have because it's the same feeling you Proba probably have it.
Speaker 3: There was no chance he was gonna make it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, even though he was the big ten kicker of the year.
Speaker 3: There was just a bad vibe around him for whatever.
Speaker 2: And not to say that like I predict a bit, like I thought he was gonna miss it. And the way it missed was like exactly what I envisioned, like not a shank, but just like you know, not precise, and you know.
Speaker 3: Like that happens. That sucks.
Speaker 2: But like losing a bet because of a miskick is not necessarily qualifiing as a as a bad beat. And by the way, neither of us have called it a bad beat. The bad beat is the ruggers right there, if you think about it. But yeah, I mean, and I thought when I really got into betting on college basketball and I was having some success, I worried a little bit about trying to bet on things that I don't really care about, just because it's something to bet on. And I'm not kidding you. Other than the occasional NBA bet, I didn't I didn't open up I didn't open up the apps much at all from the end of college basketball to now, which you know, it's been boring because I do like betting, but like I know what I you know, I know what I enjoy betting on. It's college basketball, college football, NFL and then occasionally the NBA. And if it's not that, you know, I don't need to do it. I can entertain myself different ways there's unfortunately people when it comes to gambling that that they need something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they there's people during COVID they were betting on marble races and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Hey, you know, as long as you're doing responsibly, I guess not yourself out. But like you know, I know my personality. If I got to where I was betting on things like that, I would know that I need to find a new hobby. All right, quick break, we'll come back and wrap this thing up. On the other side, it is coffee and Company on a Friday here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 3: One.
Speaker 2: Thing I did not realize in the Kentucky matchup tomorrow, they've got Southern Miss. I did not realize that Tate Routomaker, the former Florida State quarterback, is now the starting quarterback at Southern Miss. I don't think that's going to make them a super dangerous opponent for Kentucky. But you know, with the portal, man, you're gonna see guys throughout this college football season playing in places and you're gonna remember, Oh, forgot about that guy who had no clue transferred. So anyways, tonight's action, Uh, you got any thoughts and if you don't. It's fine, but I'm just curious. Do you have any I know we're going against each other. You're gonna take Michigan State to cover. I'm gonna take FAU to cover in that game. But Stanford TCU? Any any thoughts because it's I have nothing, but I want to bet on it, but I know I probably shouldn't.
Speaker 4: John, I don't know a whole lot about either team. If I were guessing, I feel like TCU is known for their offense. I don't think they've made a coaching change in the most recent years. I would go with maybe t what's the what's the spread here?
Speaker 3: In that one?
Speaker 2: I would Yeah, if I'm gonna touch it, I would, I would touch.
Speaker 3: I would.
Speaker 2: I would fade Stanford because they just sucked. But yeah, it's TCU minus eight and a half, which is a sizeable number. But Stanford, man, they suck. They lost to like two SUSA.
Speaker 3: And a half. I'm not taking it, but that's what I would take.
Speaker 2: And then tomorrow we're all in on on Georgia covering. Right, you have any thoughts on this West Virginia Penn State, it's probably stay away from me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm staying away from it too. But West Virginia they've got momentum under Dan Neil Brown, and.
Speaker 3: They got the McAfee momentum too.
Speaker 4: Man, they've been horned up. They've been tailgating since August first, apparently in the stadium.
Speaker 2: Did you see McAfee's going to give a million dollars to the collective down there, he announced on the show today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, and that that'll get them fired up.
Speaker 2: I love Virginia Tech MNUS thirteen and a half against vander But we talked about that one earlier in the week with Brian.
Speaker 3: I don't understand that line.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think that is that is someone just assuming because they're in the SEC, they'll be more competitive. Bandy sucks in Virginia Tech. I don't think that they're gonna win the ACC. But like I think this is this is just an SEC respect line for Bandy and Virginia Tech is gonna be the home team in Nashville tomorrow and.
Speaker 3: Take him down.
Speaker 2: And then as far as the other games, you know, I'm sure I'm gonna get in on it with the Florida of Miami, but I me.
Speaker 4: The Hoosiers by the way, and the we're not the Hoosiers, but give me the over and Hoosiers FIU, which is fifty one and a half of home.
Speaker 2: No, I'm taking Indiana minus twenty two. Well you don't have to do it.
Speaker 3: I'm doing it.
Speaker 2: John Signetty's getting it started with a beat down. I'm ready sigged up. All right, We're back at it tomorrow at eleven am.
Speaker 3: So join us.
Speaker 2: That's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety for the Louisville football pregame show presented by Pillow Windows, endors of Central Kentucky in Jefferson Animal Hospital, and then the postgame show right afterwards presented by Alex Rwhite, injury attorney, sou Distracted Driver dot com. So we'll talk to you tomorrow right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Have a good weekend, everybody,