Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: That's good, though, I like it's what does I say? It's regenerative? Yeah, I thought it looked pretty good.
Speaker 1: Organic zeen invigorates with green tea, bright lemongrass, and crisp spearmint. It's got some caffeine in it, however, But I thought we could get into this city and see what happens to really roll the dice and go crazy.
Speaker 2: Our particularly dangerous wind situation expires at about ten o'clock, so we have at at least to this point, gotten through the worst of our wind latest wind episode, and not had a big fire. We did get a couple of small brush fires, one of them up near Griffith Observatory. Guy was accused of or suspected of starting that fire. So there was also another one right along the four or five in Granada Hills that temporary closed some of those northbound lanes but was quickly put out.
Speaker 3: A couple down in San Diego County.
Speaker 2: And again this is an example of when we know these are coming, there are ways for us to jump on these right away and prevent little fires from turning into big fires.
Speaker 3: So that's the good.
Speaker 4: News hitting the ground running.
Speaker 1: That was a full day yesterday, from the inauguration to Emancipation Hall, to the statuary event or the lunch to the arena and then what three different balls.
Speaker 2: Three different balls, multiple speeches. When he was in the Oval office, this is newly returned to President Trump, he was signing all of those executive orders. I mean stacks of these executive things that were being signed, and he's discussing, what's this one, and then they would tell him and he would go, oh, that's a big one, and he would sign his name, and he's taking questions while he's doing it and kind of holding a news conference while he's signing all of these executive orders.
Speaker 1: It's night and day when it comes to access and transparency from what we saw in the waning days of the Biden administration.
Speaker 4: And I understand why.
Speaker 1: I mean every time they trot them them out, I would say, why are they trotting them out? Because there's not a lot there left unfortunately, and you know, you want to protect somebody like that as well and not just let them.
Speaker 4: You know, be hanging out in the wind.
Speaker 1: But Trump is taking all the questions, he is talking as long as he wants to go. He's holding all of these events. He's running on adrenaline and energy, and it's it's a wild juxtaposition to what we've seen the past few months.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it doesn't slow down right away. I mean, obviously there is a lot that's going on behind the scenes. Well, not necessarily behind the scenes, not necessarily in the White House. I'll say that, because you've got a bunch of cabinet nominees that are facing Senators on their path to confirmation.
Speaker 3: Marco Rubio.
Speaker 2: It was nice to see the Senate finally come together and pull its head out of its collective ars and unanimously put Marco Rubio in the secretary's state position ninety nine to nothing.
Speaker 3: There are others.
Speaker 2: The Senate Finance Committee did advance the nomination of Scott Bessant for Treasury Secretary. This morning at least Stephonic appeared before the Senate for Relations Committee. She is there right now in the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee. Lawmakers are going to look at the VA nominee Doug Collins. All of this playing out in the early days of any administration are busy like this, but these executive orders that went online last.
Speaker 3: Night were were numerous and important.
Speaker 1: So Trump signed an executive order directing the US to again withdraw from the Paris Climate Agreement. This is the one that seeks to combat global warming and distances us, some say, from our closest.
Speaker 2: Allies as well.
Speaker 1: The pact is aimed at limiting long term global warming to and I can tell you this, but it's going to mean nothing two point seven degrees fahrenheit above pre industrial levels. I've always and I'm not a climate in scientist. I'm not a climate scientist, nor anybody who knows anything about climate. But I will say this, as long as China and India are balls to the wall foot to the gas when it comes to pollution and manufacturing, we're not going to do s globally when it comes to climate change.
Speaker 3: We're not going to make a difference.
Speaker 1: We really are not going to make a dent without India and China. And it doesn't take a climate expert.
Speaker 2: To tell you that. Trump signed an executive order that begins the process of getting out of the World Health Organization the second time in less than five years. That he's ordered us to get out of WHO, despite it being a move that many scientists said could roll back decades long gains made in fighting infectious diseases.
Speaker 3: Now I think TB and.
Speaker 1: Malaria, the AIDS, the AIDS, he's got AIDS. Sorry, it's just a little Conway fandom. I'm torn when it comes to pardons with the attack, and I'm going to get heat from everybody on that, and I'll tell you why I'm torn. I'm torn because I feel like he directed those people to the capitol. I feel like this is the guy who caused the whole thing. I do believe he incited that whole mess. I don't know if he meant to have them riot. I don't know if he meant to have them violent. He wanted people, he wanted a showing of people, a strong showing at the capital on that day. I have no qualms about I have no questions about that. He is the one who said go to the capitol.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 2: They went to the capitol.
Speaker 1: So I have a problem with him pardoning people who are attacking capital police officers.
Speaker 4: I do have a problem with the violent people.
Speaker 1: I have the problem with the crazies that took the crazy to the level of violence. But I also support the fact that he's taking accountability. Even though he's not going to say that, it seems like he's taking accountability for being the one who incited that. I know I'm making nobody happy when I say this, but do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: I do and I feel about it. I have a similar thought. It disturbs me to no end that they did basically a blanket pardon for everyone involved, even those who were assaulting police officers. I mean that I have a hard time with that. That's egregious. That to me, is an absolute failure on this. I mean hours into the administration, a failure on their part. They've had weeks, may months, nay a few years now to figure out which ones they want to pardon and which ones they don't.
Speaker 3: And there are some you could argue that they were.
Speaker 2: They were present, they walked through the capitol when they weren't supposed to listen. I think they're morons for having done so, But they didn't assault police officers, and that, to me, should have been a clear dividing line.
Speaker 1: But he's sending the message, if you fight for me and you give me extreme loyalty to the point of violence.
Speaker 4: I've got your back, and that's terrifying.
Speaker 3: It's it.
Speaker 1: It's terrifying for the people who are going to put up the hurdles and the guard rails and the lawsuits and everything. He's sending a message that if you fight for what I want to the point of violence, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: I've got your back now. I did see an interview with a senator this morning, and I can't remember which senator it was, but there was a senator that was an approached in the hallways of the Capitol and was asked the question, what would you say or have you spoken to any Capitol police officers today knowing that this is going on as a republic I think it was Tom Tillis. As a matter of fact, Republican Senator Tom, have you talked to any Capitol police officers this morning? What is their react?
Speaker 3: Well, I haven't talked to him.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't expect them to react because they're professionals, and if they're not happy about it, they will probably say that outside of this build, I would expect a single police to say a word about it. It was like I said, I think that it raises I think a legitimate safety question here on Capitol.
Speaker 2: Will Again, I don't think any sworn officer that is working in the Capitol today is going to say anything about this to any media outlet. But how as a Capitol police officer do you look at this and not say that you've been let down? One officer, former officer, used the word he was betrayed by his country with these pardons that came down. This was I think an egregious error on their part, on the Trump administration's part, to parton everybody with just this blanket pardon. All right, that does not mean that they are not going to have some legal challenges, and we know that they those have already lined up. So some of those first lawsuits against what will be a very litigious presidential administration. Big dangerous winter storm that's sweeping across the South is dumping heavy snow crossed places like Houston, some other major metropolitan areas along the Iten Corridor, the state of Louisiana. They say the least the Gulf Coast has seen its first ever blizzard warning along portions of the Gulf Coast.
Speaker 6: So Garyan Shannon, are you talking about Trump? Partning fifteen hundred people that have for the most part, already served their time, and some of them didn't deserve any time. Or are you describing the Biden administration partning people that have yet to been charged and or convicted but blanket pardoned them anywhere.
Speaker 2: We talked about that yesterday.
Speaker 1: We talked about that as it was happening with Biden pardoning his two brothers and a sister and their spouses yesterday, as after he walked into the roadtun to the paperwork has filed along with million fauci and a bunch of other people that he want he wants to protect from retribution by Trump. His argument is that he thinks Trump will go hogwild on all of these people.
Speaker 2: And listen, if these people did pay their price to society, I mean, if you're talking about January sixth, people were convicted of crimes, then they've paid their price.
Speaker 3: I mean that there. I don't have a problem with that.
Speaker 2: The idea that these people were subjected to, you know, unlawful prison time or just thrown in jail without any sort of trial or legal process is absolute bunk. They were all given the opportunity to have their day in court and prove their innocence or or maintain their innocence. They have to be proven guilty. The assumption is innocence. But the I think about and listen and you said it, you know, I agree. I think he sent those people to the Capitol. Even if he says at the end of whatever speech he's giving, go there peacefully and with love. You've got thousands of people descending on the Capitol. What was the expectation that was going to happen? These people were.
Speaker 4: Pissed off, he knew what he was doing.
Speaker 3: They were angry.
Speaker 2: What was the assumption and the idea that that group of people would then take out that anger, frustration, whatever they believed they had in their heads at the time against law.
Speaker 3: Enforcement at the Capitol. I watched.
Speaker 2: I sat here and I watched it. We watched, we were on the air when all of that was going down.
Speaker 4: It was very embarrassing. It was awful. It was something that happens in other countries, not this country anyway.
Speaker 1: That's TikTok signed in an executive order to keep TikTok operating for ninety days.
Speaker 2: He also said that he's expecting the valuation of TikTok could hit a trillion dollars.
Speaker 1: And doesn't he want somebody in America to split the split the company up.
Speaker 2: And he even mentioned having some sort of governmental portion of it that the United States government might.
Speaker 4: That seems like a free speech issue.
Speaker 3: Get some money in there, does it not.
Speaker 2: Executive action that freezes a bunch of the new orders by former President Biden, new new and pending federal regulations. Executive action that orders federal employees back to work five days a week. He signed us in a flourish in front of a cheering crowd. The move followed, of course, the President's pled to pledge to end the work from home culture that became common during COVID order on a federal hiring freeze. The ordered a federal hiring freeze, mirroring the actually took the start of his first turn to try to reduce the size of government. Restores twenty seventeen deportation criteria directs the Attorney General to help states get lethal injection drugs.
Speaker 3: So you can get back on that. You can get back.
Speaker 2: On the old death bandwagon.
Speaker 1: Some Trump fighters who have filed lawsuits basically before the signatures were dry, they are going to throw the legal book at him. Their argument is that some of these executive orders are out of the reach of the president's pen. These are orders that many believe could be tied up in courts or legislatures for years, including ending the birthright citizenship. This is embedded in the Constitution, and it has also the stamp of the Supreme Court that grants citizenship to anyone born in the United States. The Gulf of Mexico will get into in the next hour. Becoming the Gulf of America is another one that's going to face some legal challenges.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: Oh, today we have our new swamp Watch sounder.
Speaker 4: Oh my goodness, that's right.
Speaker 3: Eleven o'clock we have the new swamp Watch sounder.
Speaker 1: I didn't think yesterday could get any better until I got your text message sharing the new sounder with me.
Speaker 3: You're the only one who's heard it.
Speaker 1: I was very excited about that. I get very excited about pieces of production.
Speaker 2: I played it for my wife just because I wanted to hear if there was something I was you.
Speaker 4: Wanted to get her in the mood.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's really what really turns her on is a lot of random political sound bites.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and a nice fancy little music pad. Uh.
Speaker 7: Huh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she loves a music show.
Speaker 3: She loves a good multi track.
Speaker 1: You're damn right she does, as long as your levels are right. If your levels are not right, but only if no sexy time.
Speaker 2: We will follow the first full day of the Trump administration. The new Secretary secretary No yeah, Press Secretary Caroline Leavitt has said that she doesn't have a briefing plan from the White House press room, but she is expecting President Trump to come out and have a speech about infrastructure. We're not quite sure exactly what that's going to entail.
Speaker 7: Hey, Gary Shannon, Hey, this is Bob for Sureman Oak, Hi, Bob. I watched all the morning news shows this morning, and not one of them talked about him. Trump not putting his hand on the Bible when he was swearing in, so I don't think he's my president.
Speaker 1: I did notice that because you mentioned the bibles he was going to use right before he took the oath. You were talking about it right up until he took the oath. And I'm looking for the Bibles. I don't see the Bibles. I say, where are the Bibles?
Speaker 3: It doesn't matter what there's nothing.
Speaker 1: Forget about God. He said it you don't forget, don't do that.
Speaker 3: But there's nothing in there. He doesn't have to have his hand on it.
Speaker 2: But where were the Bibles in their hand? The whole thing was it was something about they were pressed for time. So John Roberts was like, we kinda he's tapping this hit wristwatch, like we don't want to not have a president, although it doesn't technically is the president whether he takes the oath or not. So that was part of it. So I think they weren't. They were still doing a little though. There's a stage direction with trying to get Milania in the right place at the right time. So there are pictures of him starting the oath and she's nowhere to be found. Then halfway through she rolls up and she's got the two Bibles, and he still got his left hand down by his side.
Speaker 1: Malani has the Bibles. Yeah wait, and it's not her fault. I was gonna say, I'm more worried about the Bibles than I am the wife.
Speaker 4: But I mean, you know, you.
Speaker 2: Got to Bob, he's your president job. I mean, to Bob's point, there's there's no I.
Speaker 1: Don't think I have ever seen not somebody is somebody not put their hand on the Bible in that moment.
Speaker 2: Well, as long as there's been TV and pictures of people taking the inaugural oath.
Speaker 1: They've had their hand on the on the Bible. And he had two Bibles, but a hand on none of them.
Speaker 2: It's been it's been a common it's been common since the late eighteen hundreds, I think, but not a requirement at all.
Speaker 3: It's just a thing that.
Speaker 1: The tradition think that that would be one of the things that you made sure to do.
Speaker 4: I would, I would make sure my.
Speaker 2: Head, I said in his own speech, we can't forget about God, the God.
Speaker 5: Garry Shannon, I need you guys to kind of something I'm confused about. Yeah, I am right now seventy years old, and I don't remember ever hearing the term particularly dangerous situation being used in the weather report. I mean, am I correct or am I wrong? Or are we just getting so politically correct even with our well, you.
Speaker 1: Know what, to your point, sir, when we had that forecast on Monday two weeks ago, when they said it was dangerous wind event, life threatening wind event, it was that, And you know what, in that moment, it felt absolutely true, it did not feel like hyperbole the way that it's felt with the polar vortex and the bomb cyclone and the Arctic blast, all of that stuff, which just sounds like winter and New England. When we got that forecast, you and I sat here and we thought, this is not the boy cried wolf, this is legit. And sooner rather than later, the palisades erupted in fire and the ball got rolling.
Speaker 2: When I remember that term being used, I mean, obviously, this is the sixth time I think in the last two three months that that's been used here, and previously the only other time it had been used was twenty eleven or twenty fourteen. It's been a long time that we've since we've had that combination of factors that turn it into what they call this particularly dangerous situation. But the first time we had it in the fall winter last year, was leading up to that mountain fire over in More Park that started there and went really fast, I mean surprisingly fast in terms of its movement and its expansion. So when we started getting them again, and when we saw that on January sixth into the seventh, it did hit a little different and we said it, I mean, there was something. We're quick, because we're both pessimistic, cynical people were quick to dismiss a lot of those things.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you there was something different about that, and I'll tell you the difference. The difference is those forecasts came from meteorologists and firefighters. The Arctic blast, the bomb cyclone, and all the rest, that autrepheric river, that all comes from the media that just praise on you being in fear. That's all television, double double Doppler, boner, boner, boner xxx radar.
Speaker 4: That's weather fear porn. That's exactly what it is.
Speaker 1: I don't listen to any of that crap because it's I don't know, winter in the Northeast. But when you've got firefighters and local meteorologists telling you we're screwed, we're probably screwed.
Speaker 4: And that's the difference.
Speaker 2: I'm actually kind of amazed that we have not seen more instances of arson because of the dangerous situations that we have, and because we've seen how quickly these fires have spread. There was a guy yesterday arrested on suspicion of arson after a brush fire broke out just under Griffith Park Observatory. Who's seen by a witness setting a fire in the area, and he is the ninth person taken into custody forged allegedly starting some of the small fires.
Speaker 1: A week ago, a woman was arrested after setting multiple piles of rubbish and trash on fire. When she was arrested, she admitted to the officers to setting the fires and said she enjoyed causing chaos and destruction. She's like John, but with fire. He likes chaos. He'll be the first to tell you. Yeah, I don't think he's a big fire guy. Though another sauspect arrested earlier on the same day, started a fire in a tree. He said he liked the smell of burning leaves. See, some of these people are just cuckoo pants. Not all, are you know, the uh malicious arsonists who.
Speaker 3: Would not also qualify you as a cuckoo pants.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but a calculated cuckoo pants psychopath.
Speaker 2: Someone who's not also dealing with some sort of a mental crisis perhaps.
Speaker 1: I mean, all murderers are clearly not wired correctly, but some of them can be functional murderers. They appear to be normal.
Speaker 3: That's a good point.
Speaker 2: Crazy just what you're shooting for you, You're shooting for functional murderer if you have killed anyone.
Speaker 3: No, but I do see it in your future.
Speaker 2: Really sure? I think you could do. Who do you think I would knock off? Well, I'm not sure which arena you want me to start with. You want to start with your work life or your personal life?
Speaker 1: Oh, I'll take one from each camp.
Speaker 2: This has raised a question, though, who do you think is the best weather person in LA? Yeah?
Speaker 1: So the Weather Channel is swooping in to some local TV markets. Let's see Tara Hout, Indiana is one of them, where they're getting rid of the local weather people and just piping in the National Weather Service people. And I think this is going to be a big deal. I think this is going to be a national nightmare. They're doing this in Medford, Oregon. Yeah, my hometown. You get into those small towns and you get rid of the local weather person. Holy hell, Hell, hath no fury then getting rid of a local weather person.
Speaker 2: I have an interesting Okay, we'll talk about it when we come back, and let us know who you think is your favorite.
Speaker 4: All time of all time, of all time.
Speaker 3: Doesn't even have to.
Speaker 1: Be right now, It could be KTV. Do you circ in nineteen ninety one?
Speaker 3: How about Mark Thompson?
Speaker 4: How about Mark Thompson did dancing weather guy.
Speaker 3: We'll talk about that.
Speaker 2: Leave us a talkback message to let us know who you think is your favorite Oh you think let us know who is your favorite weather person? Here in LA The talkback feature on the iHeart app is just right there, little microphone button.
Speaker 3: Hit that button, Leave us a message and we'll get it.
Speaker 1: Do you remember Bill Gates and Steve Baumer dancing at the Windows ninety five launch. Do you not Elon Musk put on a really good act too yesterday?
Speaker 4: Did you see him dancing on stage?
Speaker 3: Listen?
Speaker 2: Anytime that guy makes any sort of physical movement, Oh my gosh, whether it's dancing or the my heart goes out to you and everybody thinks he's he's.
Speaker 1: Hitler, Hitler, salute it, all of it. But his dancing, My god. There's got to be some sort of boot camp for tech geniuses.
Speaker 2: Nope, you could do that.
Speaker 1: You could do what you could go in there like Steve Gregory went into agencies taught him how to do press conferences. You could go into the tech world and teach him how to shake their booty.
Speaker 3: Just do the low.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but can we get a little booty? Do we get a little booty action? I mean the song? Oh not a not a performance, very.
Speaker 3: A forward, very fro. How come it's not working?
Speaker 4: Oh, your booty doesn't work in the new year.
Speaker 3: I don't have to change that. Wow, fix that.
Speaker 1: That is unfortunate, But it happens to the best of us, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: Well, there was no weather the Weather Channel meteorologists at twenty seven local news stations. This is not here, This is not la necessarily, but twenty seven local news stations facing uncertainty about their jobs after a new local weather initiative that they have teamed up with the Weather Channel.
Speaker 1: They're getting rid of local news, They're getting rid of local weather and no good.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 1: One of the things that I noticed when we were doing fire coverage is how important it was to have local weather people telling us what's going on. People who actually know the area, know the land, know the history of it.
Speaker 4: Right. That's why we had Henry de Carlo on.
Speaker 1: He could really break down exactly to a granular, granular level, what is going on and why with those mountain waves and the precipitation at the top of the mountains and what those meant for winds as they make their way down into the populated areas. And then we would talk to meteorologists throughout the week who were not based.
Speaker 4: Here, and it was freaking stark. It was night and day.
Speaker 1: People who don't know your area and the history of your area have no business doing your weather well.
Speaker 2: And I think there's also an assumption about LA Weather or southern California in general, where if you're from Minnesota, you know you do negative nine in international falls every other Tuesday in January that you look at California, you go, how rough could it be? Your low temperature is going to be fifty four and you're high is going to be seventy four?
Speaker 3: How difficult is life there?
Speaker 1: They don't understand the Santa Ana Wins. I grew up in northern California and didn't know about Santa Ana Wins in the same state. How is somebody on the East Coast gonna know, or somebody in Atlanta, because that's where the Weather Channel is operating out of meteorologists at the Weather Channel in Atlanta will be producing content for local stations across the country. And I think people are gonna freaking riot. I think this is going to make the Capitol Riot look like a bake sale.
Speaker 2: A guy named Josh Franzen is a meteorologist with KWWL in Iowa, is among those facing layoffs at the station. He wrote on X I want to share our station as one of those impacted. To my viewers and those of you who have been on, who have been on Franny's report since day one, thank you. I guess Iowa was another one of those states where it counts. Your weather counts, and whether it's you're a farmer and you got to figure out what's going on for your crops and your cattle, or you just live somewhere outside of Sioux City and you're trying to make sure that the tornadoes don't destroy you your house. No, I mean, these these are important things. So we asked who is your favorite meteorologist here in southern California. Surprising, surprising, Dallas rain may be bumped off for some national news that.
Speaker 3: Are not no Dallas rains. I think is going to be fine. George Fishbeck is my favorite weather.
Speaker 2: Guy, Doctor George Fishbeck. Oh yeah, blind spot for me because we weren't here in the eighties, we were up in northern California.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were listening to Frank Summerville weather anchor on KTVU from nineteen sixty nine till nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: He was the lead anchor of the ten pm weeknight newscast as well in nineteen ninety one. Bill Martin was a guy I remember from KTVU in the nineties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And of course Mark Thompson, Mark THOMASR. Thompson was up there when we were up there.
Speaker 8: Do you know what I've got here? A list of fourty five But we don't get lists like this very often. Forty five record breakers around the country. I'll just read one or two Bakersfield at A ninety seven boys the idah ninety two.
Speaker 2: That's doctor George fishback from Channel seven here back in nineteen eighty seven.
Speaker 3: So I was an am. I didn't know Rains.
Speaker 6: He always looks good, Dallas Ring and as much as they put beautiful sexy weather girls up there, he has managed to hang in there.
Speaker 3: So Dallas Rains, Dallas Rains is one of those guys. My favorite local TV weatherman was doctor George fishback yep.
Speaker 8: Now followed by Dallas Rains and Henry de Carlo.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Henry DeCarlo.
Speaker 3: Henry.
Speaker 1: It's funny because my husband used to really like Jackie Johnson. I think he like followed her around when he evening at the Golden Mics. It was uncomfortable for everybody, but then moved off Jackie Johnson to Henry de Carlo, so he doesn't discriminate.
Speaker 3: Tastes change. I suppose I.
Speaker 8: Would have to go with doctor George Fishbeck from in the early seventies and eighties period.
Speaker 7: He was a hoot.
Speaker 3: Thank you exclamation point.
Speaker 2: I typed in to google this term best weather person Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: Huh wait, don't tell us, we'll do it after the break.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.