Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property, And for this week of January thirteenth, we are continuing with Loss to season two, episode four. Everybody hates Hugo And if you hear any talking in the background here or any weird noises, it's not the others. Some company in my house and some very strong wind outside, so it's all okay.
Speaker 3: It's not so the others.
Speaker 1: So poor Hurley. This was a rough episode on Hurley.
Speaker 3: Yes, I know when.
Speaker 2: I saw the title Everybody Hates Hugo. I thought, no, I don't hate Hugo. I don't want people to hate Hugo.
Speaker 1: But if he was rationing the potato chips, would you hate him a little night? If he said no candy bar for you and no shampoo even though you haven't had a shower in months, would not feel fondly towards him? Nor if he was your best friend and you quit your job because he quit his job and y'all had a great day, and then you found out that he quit his job because he is a millionaire, you might not feel.
Speaker 2: So multime multime millionaire.
Speaker 1: Yes, And he just failed to mention that. Yeah, oh god.
Speaker 2: Although the reveal of that, you know where they show up to the convenience store and the owners being interviewed and and then the owner spies Hurley in this junkie van and says, that's him, Like he didn't he didn't actually cash.
Speaker 3: It in yet, Like how did he? How did that guy know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was very we needed to happen this way from whats so okay?
Speaker 2: But so that that was a quibble that I had, But you know, we all we all know that otherwise everything makes sense and it's perfectly clear.
Speaker 3: On this shore.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed how after quite some time, Hey, it's Rose Roses back Rose could be what was your husband's name.
Speaker 2: Again us, please remind us what his name was, because we might need to know later.
Speaker 1: And sure enough, there at the end of the episode, when they're in the very scary looking place where the Tale people have been subsisting, sure enough there's a dude named Bernard asking about Rose. So she was so sweet, as she said, just in this very episode, I know he's still alive. Just as that's their own little way of doing a flashback.
Speaker 3: It's just.
Speaker 1: You got your big flashbacks and you have your little little previous luve lost just sort of naturally worked into the script.
Speaker 2: So yeah, as much as I enjoy, you know, a early centered episode, it's it's sad when when bad things happen through yes, yeah, and like why did Jack put him in charge of the pantry and seems so unfair And I mean, I guess no matter who it was, curly correctly diagnosed that no matter who it was, was going to have this problem.
Speaker 1: The sawyer they should be because everybody hates him already, except he's not around here. No, No, they're missing him now, aren't they? Right? Shannon? You know what, Shannon would be good.
Speaker 2: She wouldn't give a moment's attention to anyone who had been things to say to her.
Speaker 3: She'd be like, yeah, even less for you than.
Speaker 1: She would not care put said in charge of it. People would be too afraid to hate him. What you don't like that? I am saying, No, I didn't quite understand what it was they were looking for him, say either. I did not either, nor did my when they're like crawling around, yes, underground, even more underground than the hatch already, I don't know what well.
Speaker 3: I did not understand what was going on there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't get that.
Speaker 2: All we knew was there was concrete and the magnet was somehow involved because.
Speaker 1: The key And did you notice that the magnet makes Jack's key around his neck? Did you notice? Did you notice?
Speaker 3: Yep?
Speaker 1: We thought you might have missed it the first time.
Speaker 2: Call attention to that, and they got to make a reference to Chernobyl.
Speaker 3: So that puts that little thought in my brain.
Speaker 1: Great, that was just a little of letting everybody know what's going on eventually, and just to charting the perimeters of the uh of the hatch. And but by the way, how much time did Locke and Boone spend messing around with that hatch? They didn't notice there was like a door near my mind my husband said, oh, the door is probably nowhere near the hatch. But even so, it wasn't that disguised. It kind of looked like a door. Yes, bad reconnaissance, you guys. No, we need to take unstable dynamite and blow this thing up. It's the only possible.
Speaker 3: In no other way anywhere.
Speaker 1: We passed a door in the jungle, but I'm sure sure.
Speaker 3: That's totally something else that we don't.
Speaker 2: Need to.
Speaker 1: They didn't want to pay for the stunt men to have people supposedly rappling in and out of that place, so they just like ask questions. It's fine, the hatch is like how far down into the ground, but there's a door. There's a door at ground level it's a cliff.
Speaker 2: And also there's where is the shower because somehow they got to it by crawling around underground, But Kate didn't get to the shower by crawling around underground.
Speaker 1: So so you we're asking, yes.
Speaker 3: Yes, there are no answers to these questions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then they're keeping it all a big secret, and then Lock just tells starts telling people, right Locke trying to explain this whole crazy thing to Charlie is their little hardy horror sarcastic. Look at how crazy this shit is. It sounds a bit nutty.
Speaker 3: Doesn't And there's this button and oh there's a record player also. He brought that up. He knew Charlie would be interested. Seriously really, but by the end, everyone did not hate Hugo because.
Speaker 1: No, because he decided to give away all their was like, forget it. Where they're gonna hate him when they find out that probably they should have rationed it. What you mean? This is it? This is everything we have no more? Why did you let it? Beat it all?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Waity, you know, enjoy these these ten to fifteen minutes when everyone likes me.
Speaker 1: And what are the odds that there would be peanut butter there for Charlie to give to Claire? Of course? How long? What is the shelf life of that stuff?
Speaker 3: I don't know, but I mean, if it hasn't.
Speaker 1: Been opened, is it just okay forever?
Speaker 3: It's probably okay for a pretty long time.
Speaker 1: They like stock that place in the sixties.
Speaker 2: I don't know, the candy bars all look pretty new.
Speaker 1: They did, so I guess if you're on an island and you've not had regular food for a long time, even the stalest candy bar and potato chips taste.
Speaker 3: Pretty probably tastes amazing.
Speaker 1: Yes, And they find the bottle washed up that went out on.
Speaker 2: The road, which again could mean nothing. That's right, because yeah, it fell over. You know, they had a little bit of rough water. You know, there's lots of explanations for it that aren't they're all dead, which is clearly what they think.
Speaker 1: So son, you got to go talk to Rose. It'll happen. But you knew that the bottle was going to wash up because the bottle was on the previous lease, right right that then like like revealing your plot there, Okay, well this is going to be a.
Speaker 3: Thing, then, I guess yep, for sure.
Speaker 1: And uh getting getting some really uh really vicious uh tension going there between Anta Lucia and they're just you know, moldery made for each other.
Speaker 2: Yes, but Terry, we already have a love triangle. We can't introduce another.
Speaker 1: He's going to be a love square. Well, I mean she did meet Jack first, he did, and she's we could just have two tries.
Speaker 2: She was certainly flirting with Jack on her first encounter.
Speaker 1: She was she finds out he's a possibility. Ye poor, so I squeeze both of those. Yeah, but uh so they pull them out of the pit. They came out of the pit and uh marched off to what exactly was that where they all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like sort of a scary bumper a bunker. Yeah, much like that, but but less provisions and light and everything else.
Speaker 1: And also she said they said that there were twenty three of them and he's like, well where are they? And there were twenty three rice, So sounds like they haven't been having as good as night. Parenting wise, I enjoyed Hurley's mom lecturing him change your life. Yeah, she really a mixture of needling and sarcasm. That just made me want to give her a hug. I mean, I feel bad for Hurley, but still that was some prime adult mothering going on there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was a lot of there was like she'd been saving that up for a while.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh yes, so and then finally she says it every.
Speaker 2: Day right, Yeah, answering the phone. Oh it is Jesus, she's calling you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, she could. She could be a guest on our podcast time.
Speaker 3: She has our our general brand of aggravation.
Speaker 1: Certainly sympathized too with having an adult, adult child at home who just doesn't seem to be having any ambitions whatsoever to do anything other than sit and watch TV.
Speaker 2: And right, there's a there's a la.
Speaker 1: A lack of urgency. Yes, I got a lot of that going around. But oh sweetie, you're the You're going to be our lost patron saint here. And also we must admit, uh, from a parenting point of view, it being the one in charge of the snacks is indeed a think it is.
Speaker 2: It's been there, as you know, not just for my cookies, for not just for my own family, but for entire teams teens, right, children and their parents who can be more annoying than their children.
Speaker 1: Did everybody hate Catherine, I don't know.
Speaker 3: They were.
Speaker 2: Many people were very kind and very appreciative, and many people were like, well, my kid doesn't eat that, and I was like, well, oh, then you will have to supply what your kid does eat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I will not be doing that.
Speaker 3: That was impact in the bunker.
Speaker 1: Okay, yes, you know, there's only so many many things from the Dharma pantree, and that's not one of them exactly.
Speaker 3: Oh well, my word.
Speaker 1: Also, I could relate to the when Sawyer is down in the pit and he's refusing to come out, and you know, they just leave him there. Yeah, and then they come back again and say, you know, if you push it too hard and you lose your opportunity. Yes, you think they're going to keep talking to you and poop nor still little bit?
Speaker 3: Oh dear.
Speaker 1: Yes, he was in time out.
Speaker 2: He really was in time out, and he was he was trying to he was doing everything he could to. You know, fine, I want to be down here, you know, like I want to go to my room for the next hour and a half.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's not a punishment. I like it here.
Speaker 1: Gee where we heard those things before?
Speaker 3: Nice try, Nice Try.
Speaker 1: Is in so many ways basically a child. But and and and Lucia is the mom who has had trusting. Fine, you like it so much there, you can stay there.
Speaker 3: It's for you.
Speaker 1: I'm not going around and around with you.
Speaker 2: I wonder if that the tail people have a surgeon, because I think and some antibiotics because feels like Sawyer needs those as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, who would have thought that that digging a bullet out of your shoulder while you were on a raft in the ocean might cause, i don't.
Speaker 3: Know, some problems down the road.
Speaker 1: And then getting thrown into a dirty pit immediately.
Speaker 2: After, Yeah, yeah, especially I mean you seawater like that's just salt water like, yeah, they use that in medical settings, right, Well, that's true. He needed to drinks sit out a little more.
Speaker 1: It must have been the getting hit on the head on the beach and ryot like into a hole in the ground. Maybe that might have a certain amount of contamination, Oh dear, sooner or later.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, now they know about each other.
Speaker 1: All these crazy kids together, and.
Speaker 2: Boy, those those tale people are gonna be mad when they find out all the snacks are going.
Speaker 3: What do you mean there was a whole pantry and now there's not.
Speaker 1: What. Yeah, they're gonna be there's gonna be some tension, I think, plus which you know, I have to believe that Analysia is going to charge uh is going to challenge Jack for the leader position. I don't think she's gonna go in charge, just like find yourself a little fire on the beach and roast some marshmallows. So there's gonna be some tense times ahead, definitely. And also we have to shout out Curly and his friend listening to drive Shaft at the record store.
Speaker 2: His friend and have very good things to say a show.
Speaker 1: I don't remember Purley said, Hey, I just listened to you. But uh anyway, next Tuesday, we will continue with season two, episode five of lost Dot dot Dot and Found.
Speaker 2: We didn't like it when it was dot dot dot in translation, and we do not like dot dot dot.
Speaker 1: And but it is a Gin and Sun flashback episode, so I think we can make some uh some conclusions about how long they're going to draw out this. Bringing the Tailies and the uh our existing castways together sounds like.
Speaker 3: Not that long.
Speaker 1: Mayby sooner. Okay, before we forget about Rosen, they got together. We just hax position today. We got a We don't want to have to do that again in a few episodes because people don't remember I would remember. Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com slash Shop slash Mamitude, but you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years
Speaker 3: In the company The p