Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the Castle of Horror, the show dedicated to horror movies an awesomeness. This week we have a look at the two thousand horror film Ginger Snaps. Bear in mind if you haven't seen today's movie, we're going to be talking about it from the perspective of horror fans who have seen it, so warning spoilers ahead. From Denver, Colorado, I'm your host, Jason Henderson, publisher at Castlebridge Media, home of the Castle of Horror anthology. With me from Austin is Tony Sabaggio, lead singer and bassist of the band Deserts of Mars and lead guitarists of the band Rise from Fires Helo Toney Howdy Howdy. Also in Austin, Mister Drew Edwards is the writer creator of the long running underground comic Halloween Man, which you can find of Global Comics. He is a Best Writer Ringo nominee, Austin Chronicle Best of Austin Award winner and a member of the Pen America Fellowship.
Speaker 2: Saalo Drew and then the only thing that makes me feel better is tearing live things. The shred.
Speaker 1: And finally, also in Denver, color commentary. I can't wait to discuss this movie with you. Julia Guzman of Guzman Immigration of Denver. Say hello, Hi everyone, Hi, Hi. We had lunch today, Julia and I almost never had lunch, and it was really nice. We were at a place I don't even know, Lone Tree, Lone Tree, Colorado, and it was cool to see you at lunch. That was neat. So I just wanted to report that's It's a glimpse into our day, all right. Ginger Snaps is a two thousand Canadian supernatural horror film directed by John Fawcett, written by Karen Walton from a story that they developed together. It stars Emily Perkins and Catherine Isabelle as Bridget and Ginger Fitzgerald, two sisters who have this morbid hobby of reproduced well or or creating basically these these tableau of death. They're very, very cool, but then their relationship is tested when Ginger, who's starts having her period for the first time, is attacked and bitten by an unknown animal and then starts to transform into a werewolf. So this is this is a teenage werewolf movie. The supporting cast features Chris Chris Lemchi, Jesse Moss, Daniel Hampton, John Bourgeois, Peter Callaghan, and the always fabulous Mimi Rogers, who I think is giving basically Kim Darby a run for her money as the quirky mom in this film. So, this film came out in theaters finally in May two thousand and one. It is a huge cult hit. I have overlooked it. I've never seen it before this moment. So I'm looking forward to you guys explaining to me how in the hell I could have missed this film. Let's get her opening thoughts as go Julia Tony Drew, and then I'll go Julia, and I kind of dread sticking this with you because I'm not sure if this was your favorite film. But Julia, lay it honest, what are your opening thoughts this movie? This movie?
Speaker 3: I just I just I just can't. I can't with this movie. Uh. It is so gory and gross and and and just like a lot of the things. Well that that first of all, the fact that of so gross distracted me throughout the whole film, But there was other things as well where I would just be like, no, this is dumb. No that's not how anything works. No, that's not what would happen here? What where did that come from? Who are these people? What is happening?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, that was this was not this was not I was not the audience. I was not the audience.
Speaker 1: That's a challenge. This is going to be a challenge for us because we're ready to go. Ah, this is amazing. It speaks to women, and it's got all this feminine body blah blah blah. And and you the only, uh, the only person who identifies as a woman on this show. You are not the person that that's going to be supporting the film. So so so you're a trader to your or I just want you to know.
Speaker 2: That that's all.
Speaker 3: That's one.
Speaker 4: Like it even more now she feels safe.
Speaker 3: It's always been the safe place, you're safe.
Speaker 1: Space, Tony. What are your thoughts?
Speaker 4: So now I'm a little worried, like do I like it this much? And because I'm a guy and I missed things. This is my second or third time seeing it. I was it's funny. I almost said, oh when you when you hadn't seen it, And then I realized that would be that would have been funny.
Speaker 1: That was I would not have thought of that. That was I appreciate it.
Speaker 4: I'm surprised you hadn't seen it. Uh yeah, I saw it not too long after it came out. I think I saw it on video. I don't think I saw it in the theater. I didn't remember how grotesque it was, like the gore in it, how much more the I get some for some strange reasons, I blocked that out. It's pretty gory.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I still like it. I still under I understand. I have friends and definitely friends of friends in the horror community who definitely identify like women who identify as like I get this, this is this was kind of an alt women, all all team kinda yeah kind of movie, you know. Uh And so now I'm curious, like I don't know, like is it just me? But I actually I enjoyed the movie. I thought the traffickings were great. I thought it was interesting. I think they made good choices when and where to show the creature. So yeah, I'm kind of I mean, I'm really interested to hear Juliet hearing you know, your thoughts on how it progresses, because for me, it was solid both all the times I've seen it, So I don't know, maybe I missed something. But other than forgetting, it was more glory than I remembered I thought it was. I thought it was an interesting wearbo movie. Definitely of its time, right, like we've and I think this influenced.
Speaker 5: A lot of movies as well.
Speaker 4: The influence you can see the ripples in women making film as well as as kind of identifying with these characters or not are kind or you know, in some ways rejecting some of the things they didn't like and like kind of taking that making their own. So yeah, I'm interested in the rest of the discussion for sure.
Speaker 1: Cool true, lad on me.
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, I mean, not everything is for everybody, So it's okay if Julia didn't like it, it's also okay. It's also okay if you liked it, Tony and I. For the record, I know lots and lots of women who do like this movie a lot, including you know, as I was saying before we started recording, Jamie and I are friendly with a fairly famous bur lesque dancer here in Austin who takes her her stage name from from this film. So you know obviously what you were saying about, Uh, you know, the the the effect and the influence that it had on on you know, sort of alternative type uh women. You know, I think that's definitely there. But again it's it's it's okay to not like things. So I I, you know, even though I myself am a big fan of this movie, I I and you know, when we started this latest round of were wolf movies with the new version of The wolf Man, you know that my my, one of my immediate takeaways from it is that that that movie took took a lot from this movie, especially the sort of body horror take on uh, turning into a werewolf, where it's it's you know, a slower transformation. Although I think this movie does it a lot better because it's not in a matter of hours. It's over a period of a month, and I think because of that, you get to see more more uh it's a little more punishing, I guess. I think also this movie does a very good job of kind of capturing a certain team, Like the teenagers in this movie are sort of amplified versions of teenagers, like so that sort of hormonal, you know, acting out behavior, you know, I think this movie captures that well. I also think, you know, like I was, I was saying this to David Bulls, friend of the podcast David Bulls, the other day that you know, I'm a big believer that the more specific that you make things often in writing, actually the more relatable they become.
Speaker 1: And boy, we should take that into either a T shirt or a real Honestly, that is so so I want a cartoon of Drew on Instagram saying the more specific you make it that that is that is so so true.
Speaker 2: Well, what this this movie does is is very very much zero in on the world of sisters. But I think it, you know, and it does I think a pretty good job of capturing that. But also, you know, you know, speaking of someone who was a twin, you know, you know, I still find this movie incredibly relatable. You know, of of someone that that you know, had like, you know, a sibling and you know, we were very much like wrapped up in each each other, you know, in that kind of deep, deep friendship that that was. That it became very painful when you know, you know, they started going off and experiencing things on on their own. You know, when when when when puberty started to happen, and you know, so I think again, even though this is with zeroing in on a certain kind of feminine relationship. You know, I still found the relationship in this movie very very, you know, affecting and relatable and everything. So that's kind of a long winded first thoughts, but needless to say, I am a fan of this movie, although I will stand by Julia's right to not like it as well, because that's that's that's what makes the world go reund.
Speaker 4: I think it's worth discussing, Like even the even though there's a there's a different dynamic with the being sisters. I think there's also especially if you're on the weird, the weird side of everything, like if you're an outcast at all, and you know, throughout high school or junior higher whenever you are. If if that's a thing that you associate with, like if you have a deep friendship, even that can be a stopping point. I'm like, well, wait, why don't you want to hang out more? All of those things? Uh, this is a this is a different version of that. But if you have a deep friendship, I mean I you know, I think I had a good friend, and then you know, everybody starts discovering different things and you do your own thing, and then it's a weird time because also that was your friend who you shared being weird with. I don't know, you know, yeah, so like that was a you know, I remember specifically that was really strange and transitional and weird. I was, you know, not my favorite time, I guess. But but you know, here it's it's different. But I think a lot of people, I think can relate even if it wasn't a sibling relationship or even any of that.
Speaker 5: So I do think it's it's relatable.
Speaker 4: In that way.
Speaker 1: I want to talk a little bit about the setting of this film because obviously we'll get into the werewolf isms and and and all that stuff, and and I think it's good actually that we've got somebody who's not so enamored of it, since Jolia, you're you're not so into the film, because that'll be useful that keep us going off it. Okay, well, fair, I'll bet you that if I removed some of the blood licking gore and some of the girl braining herself and they don't know what to do with the body, you you know, in other words, I'll bet you could make some snips here and there, and you might you might dig it more. But I actually it doesn't matter to me.
Speaker 3: It's so many things anyway, we'll.
Speaker 1: Get okay, no. But but what I was saying was I'm really actually glad that that that we're not all aligned on this because it makes it it makes for a more dynamic conversation. So I thought it was really cool just looking at this movie. This film is Is came out in two thousands, so you got to figure it's being shot in like sometime in ninety nine and early two thousand. I suppose maybe maybe earlier than that. I'm not I'm not really sure. And uh, it has this look you know that reminds me. I think you guys were saying it was kind of nineties. Everybody's wearing these just these oversized clothes. I there's something about the way these girls present themselves and the sort of grungy, chain smoking way that all of these teens are presenting that is of a particular time. It doesn't look like now, doesn't look like twenty twenty six, and it doesn't really look like like the eighties either. I mean, it's a particular thing, wouldn't you say.
Speaker 2: Well, not for nothing, but some of the oversized clothes is because this takes place in Canada.
Speaker 1: I'm sure, well that's true. It is on Halloween, on the evening of Halloween. They have the garage door open. There's one point where they're going and you can see snow just sort of like really sleep, just garbage snow that's wet coming down. And I was like, man, I mean it snows in Halloween here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's definitely fall because there's a lot of you know, colorful trees at least for part of it, but you can see that it's just always overcasts. And it just seemed it felt cold. The whole movie felt cold.
Speaker 1: But isn't that just that's the time. It makes no sense to say the.
Speaker 3: Times, yeah Halloween at some point, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well no, but I mean to me for some reason, for reasons, I guess, so wrapped up in grunge music, the nineties and the early two thousands look like Seattle, Like there's a like pop culture.
Speaker 3: Grunge rock and all that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I don't feel like this is exactly grunge because, like you you have like the the one like kind of douchey kid who who kind of has like the skater you know, he has like the baggy dickies on and like the the you know kind of the guy from from smash Mouth kind of haircut and everything. So you know, you have that kind of thing. And the girls themselves are kind of they're they're grunge segueing into goth, segueing into emo. You know, like there's there's a lot going on there, you know, like it's it's there's there's a you know, if you look at this movie as a time capsule of like of fashion from that time period, this is this movie really is a treasure trove of different different looks that young people were sporting.
Speaker 1: Right for young teenagers particularly, Yes.
Speaker 4: It's two it's two thousand movies. It's right at the transition. And we've we've talked about this a lot where you know, we have eighties movies, but there's a bunch of the like eighty I would say, eighty to eighty three, eighty four. It's there's still a lot of seventies left. Oh yeah, as you transition out.
Speaker 1: Because you don't throw away all your clothes and you don't throw away your way of dressing, you know, your your life can do the.
Speaker 4: Flavor the flavor of like how you film things and everything that changes the you know, how people think, how people envision the world is a little you know, it's it's not always super fast. So this is definitely a transition out of the nineties and that same kind of way, the flavor of it, and that's not you know, it's definitely out of right.
Speaker 1: And it is October, just to clarify, it is October of ninety nine. So so yeah, you're exactly right over where it is. And Friday the thirteenth was the same way. It was, like it comes out whatever it is right at the beginning of the eighties, and everybody is dressed very very seventies right in that movie, and.
Speaker 4: So the flavor of it is moving moving forward. But still, you know, we see a lot of those I mean that's just you know, teen fashion and just how you film things. Everything like that just coming out. You know, it won't be until a couple of years later we'll see, you know, we'll get into what is the two thousands film? You know, yeah, yeah, the post millennium film, And that's just how that works.
Speaker 1: That sounds like a fun question, Tony, like as to as to you know, what exactly makes a post post monium filming, I think we.
Speaker 4: Would start to see, in my opinion, what you would start to see is a transition into kind of a CW miss of things.
Speaker 1: But well, I mean the thing is, when I think it's a CW, I think of Buffy, right, and Drew, you were saying that you kind of feel like you see bits of Buffy DNA.
Speaker 2: Totally, and I think that if you were very into Buffy, this this probably it's it's not wouldn't be surprising to find out that you were into this as well, because it's it's it's similarly similarly taking horror tropes and and you know, transplanting them into you know, a high school setting. I mean obviously this, you know, Buffy's more about empowering you know, a particular teenager, and in this, I think it's a little bit more degradation and you know, mutilation and you know that kind of thing. But you know, they both speak to the teenage experience in different in different ways.
Speaker 1: I feel I want to I want to go sorry, I just thinking about it now.
Speaker 4: I think you're right, Jason. So in two thousand and two we have Resident Evil, in two thousand and three we have Underworld, and so I think those might be how we're heading out. Then those don't feel nineties. If that makes a meimy.
Speaker 1: Say, no, you're right. There's a there's a shift into a world of horror, action, away and stuff kind of whatever this is, and.
Speaker 4: There's other you know, there's suspenseful stuff too, like you know, we get like, think what else was in two thousand, two thousand and two? Twenty eight days Later, for example, comes out in two thousand and two, same same time period as the other two movies, and that moves to the Mist in two thousand and seven, and The Ring comes out in two thousand and two. So I think that's kind of where we're moving towards. Like creepier, some creepier and some but the flavors of those movies feel out of the nineties, if.
Speaker 1: That makes well, they're more The other thing is that.
Speaker 4: A little bit more slick, perhaps well.
Speaker 1: More slick, but more more video game, more action, more adult, not adult in a in a sexual way, but adult. Like the characters that tend to be adults, they tend to be in professional jobs. They're professional mercenaries and crap like that. As opposed to there's this moment in the Buffy in the Buffy period when people are really kind of locating their passions in amongst teenagers.
Speaker 2: You know, this is the not I think that even started, you know, in the horror genre, you know, you know also, I mean aside from Buffy, that's also the influence of screen you know, like which was very much taking place in a world of teenagers.
Speaker 4: So yeah, if you want to bridget there, Jason, I would say that May, which also comes out in You're two thousand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we saw, we saw May.
Speaker 5: I can't remember where I think, but Amazon probably.
Speaker 1: I think it's probably about Nonapi.
Speaker 4: But May is to me kind of the transition from Ginger Snaps to that because it's two thousand and two, but it's to me, it's that it's yet another transitional movie. And said, that's kind of I mean, of course this is this is a generalization. There's a lot to discuss, right, Like I said, we could do a whole other podcast. Yeah, I was looking, Wow, the others was two thousand and one.
Speaker 1: That's I want to mention. So anyway, we're in this period when when high schoolers ruled a school basically as far as R goes, and I love these two girls so you have Bridget who is the younger sister, and Catherine, who is the older sister. Julia referred to him as Irish twins because they ar so this is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is the first I want to kind of jump off of. At this point that the family structure to me was confusing. The whole time, I was like, are these actually biological sisters? Because she says she just turned fifteen, I'm about turn sixteen. I'm like, okay, they could be Irish twins. But then at one point she said, the one of the girls refers to the mom as Pamela or pam or whatever, so like is that it's their stepmother. And then when the mom's trying to tell them what to do, like the sister's going, daddy, can I blah blah blah, like as if she almost I was hearing almost that you're not my mom, kind of vibe with I'm asking my father, because.
Speaker 2: I just take that as she's being disrespectful to her mother.
Speaker 3: There was a lot of times when I was like, I don't understand these people's relationship. I don't. I was fully expecting at some point to learn that she was the stepmother and that the dad and maybe that the dad was even a werewolf, because the relationship with the dad was so weird and he wasn't really a fully developed character in their lives, which is very unusual for girls, like girls usually have a pretty tighty relationship with their dad. So there was so much there around that. So but uh so that that at that point I already was like, what's happened? What is the relationship? And then why did they live in the same room when they seem to have a really big house and their room seemed to be kind of a piece of ship room, Like there was like the walls weren't even finished. I don't know. I was so confused. I really thought there was going to be so much more to their family and to be like find out that maybe they were abused or maybe they're like their parents had you know, like maybe their mom had died or something. I just expected a lot. I expected so much more from the.
Speaker 5: Family to me. For me, the room says a lot.
Speaker 4: They hang out because they're both weirdos, and they are in the crap room because they're so morose that that's the way they like it.
Speaker 1: They have they have grapified their room that I believe I didn't have any like to me, it was to me that's shorthand for just.
Speaker 5: Understood.
Speaker 2: I think everything with the relationship with the dad is deliberate on behalf of the screen right and director, I think they were deemphasizing the dad is just kind of a putts who's out of touch with what's going on in his own house. And I just think that was the point. But to one thing that I will say, I have wondered about this movie, and to Julia's point, I have always wondered if there was a draft of the screenplay where the girls were twins and they couldn't They couldn't find two actresses that looked enough alike to be twins, so they decided that they were just very close in age, like like a year or so apart. And I have always going all the way back to them when the first time, when when I think I saw this in the theater when it first came out. I've always wondered that.
Speaker 3: But funny thing, it's a factory plays. The older sister is actually four years younger than the other actor.
Speaker 1: Is she really don't kidding?
Speaker 2: Well, the the Emily Perkins, the girl that's playing Bridget. You actually have seen something with her in it before where she was much younger. She's in the nineteen ninety version of it as then.
Speaker 3: The other sister isn't Carrie, which this movie reminds me tons.
Speaker 2: Of yeah, oh I can see that. But she's and she you know, and she's gone on to be in a lot of you know, she's been got had kind of a screen queen kind of career. But uh, you know, uh, I think that all the stuff with the way their parental relationships is deliberate, So I can't I can't really defend them to you, Julia, Like I, you know, I can say that I feel like it does work for me as as a kid that could sometimes be kind of rebellious and at times, and sometimes I would I would very snidely, you know, talk to my father and call him by his his you know, real name is an act of disrespect. But I would also talk to my mom in the way where I was trying to get permission for something if I you know, as a way of going over my dad's head. So like I I do feel like all that stuff is credible, but I you know, if it didn't if it didn't work, for you, and in fact, it confused you. I I you know I I also hear that because, like I said, I did. I have always wondered if there was a draft of this movie where the girls were twins, because I think so much about this movie, you know, makes me think of you know, my own you know, my own you know, childhood, growing up as a twin. Because there's a lot of choices.
Speaker 1: I mean, the thank you, Drew, I'm sorry, Yeah, there's all I was done. There's a lot of there's a lot of really wild choices that stacked up. If you're sort of already like hitting friction with it, you might you might start to go there's too many choices. I don't understand. Because key to the story is that one of the sisters has gotten her period, the other hasn't, and they're both like they both have breasts. I mean they're both like.
Speaker 3: Super and that's yeah, that's the next thing where I'm just like, no, no, that was just the same thing with cars as Carrie. It's the same thing where I'm just like, this is a fully developed young woman. She has gotten her period years ago. There's like literally no way. And so then I was like, well, is there just she's sick. Is there going to be a problem, Like, is it gonna We're gonna find us she's a condition, But no, it's just just part of the story.
Speaker 1: We're just going Then.
Speaker 3: The idea that they have this mom who just oh, I really want you to talk to me about things, and yet somehow they've never talked about a lot of this stuff, like when they go in to talk to the counselor and she's like, well this and this and this, and they're like, okay, well if they never had a conversation about it, which I'm like, there's no way they wouldn't have. They would to talk to all their friends about it. They would talk to every by now.
Speaker 2: But it doesn't really seem like they have friends though, but.
Speaker 3: Just comes up. It comes up in the bathroom, it comes up. They have the stupid talks that they do, you know, where they like take a separate the kids by gender. I mean, there's so many things like there's just literally no way any of that would have gone that way. So that that just again set me off, and I was like, I'm not I can't.
Speaker 1: I do want to mention though, going back for a moment to what I love about these two actors. I like that Bridget Emily Perkins, the younger sister character. She so completely fills this role where she wears these enormous sweaters, probably sweaters on top of sweaters. She hunches her shoulders inward and forward. Her whole body is dragged towards the ground in front of her. Her head is tilted at a forty five degree angle all the time to such that to carry on a conversation with people she must look up from underneath her brows at them, even she doesn't know.
Speaker 3: She never looks at them. She always is looking at the floor.
Speaker 1: She's just like, it is wonderful. I mean, I really.
Speaker 2: Going on thirty like she always looks stressed out.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I so that's you know, it is. It's a wonderful performance. I really just think that she's incredible. I mean, in a way, this is the harder, the harder performance because Catherine Isabel does this straight as Ginger does this straight transformation where she starts out hunched over and she turns into one of the girls from the Craft really where she's walking in slow motion and wearing chokers and you know, and and all of this sexy stuff. And there's the thing that Tony was talking about where you begin to separate from your friends because one is going down a path that you're not going down, and that that I thought played really well, although again, Joy, it's.
Speaker 2: The other you know. You know, something Julia was saying about how Emily Perkins is actually the older of the two. I think in a way that kind of works because Bridget, the way the movie progresses, she has more emotional maturity than Ginger, especially once Ginger starts to become a were wolf, and she's very reactive to things, like you know, like not a lot of impulse control anymore, and so there's just something a little bit more inherently juvenile about her, like like she's I guess she's she's she's almost just like a walking teenage hormone, Like yeah, yes, do yeah, I and I do agree that. I think in some ways, you know, Bridget, it's not the showier part, but it's the anchor of the movie, you know, Like she's like, even though Ginger is the title character, the real main character is Bridget because we see everything through her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, Bridget. If if we don't think of her at the beginning as the main character. By the middle of it, she clearly is because I mean, and I was a teenage werewolf. There is no Bridget character. So you know, you've only got Michael Landon who is trying into a werewolf and you know, and he has no there's no friend of his who is like keeping track and trying to see if they can save him. Like, there's nothing like that. There's the there's the whip Oh gosh, what's his name? Anyway, there's the you know, the mad scientist character who's no help at all. But here they've given us, They've given us somebody to worry about her. Yeah, Bridge is the main character. Let's see.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 2: I love.
Speaker 1: Another thing I really love is the boys, Like how how the boys are? I think the most brilliant thing in the world is the notion that after a sexual activity with this girl who has just become a werewolf, he starts bleeding blood from his penis, which he cannot hide from the people around him at school. I've never seen anything so funny in my life that is that is just brilliant. It's so weird and brilliant. I was like, how come I haven't yet seen a movie that gives me a boy whose penis is leaking blood for no reason.
Speaker 3: But it's interesting that that does turn the tables, well, it kind of turns tables in that girls will have will have we'll have periods and that will show up on their clothing before that. But also guys have their own issues during puberty that show up, you know, So I think that's just a regular, just a puberty thing. You know, that's just kind of it's adding a dimension to it.
Speaker 1: There is so much puberty stuff going on in this, you know that that it's that's the met that's the main thing. It's basically puberty with werewolves in a sense, well in the way.
Speaker 2: They his were wolf makeup. You know, it's interesting that you know, with Ginger, she gets i mean there's some body horror stuff, like she she has the tail that she tries to chop off, and you know, she's getting weird hair. But for the most part, she gets kind of a werewolf glow up. You know, like sudden suddenly she's wearing like the the midriff shirts and you know, like tighter skirts and and you know, like the craft, the craft Yah, yeah, yeah, but with the teenage boy wear wolf and I mean we don't see a whole lot of him, but you know, we see enough he's got like were wolf act me, you know, like he gets less attractive from from what's going on with him. And I I, you know, I I I always I guess find that A I don't know. I think it's like an interesting, interesting, and again deliberate choice that the girl were wolf gets, like I said, a glow up. But the boy who is sort of the walking embodiment of of date rape until the tables kind of get turned on him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he looks, yeah.
Speaker 2: Bleeding from his clock.
Speaker 4: And I mean it's also the first time I think I've seen chanthropy pass through sex. Also, now I'm going to coin the term howmonal.
Speaker 1: That's how this works, oh man, Yes.
Speaker 4: But yeah, he yeah, he becomes spelled a N. Yes, it could be however however you like, but yes, And you know that's that's interesting too because part of because part of the whole acting thing is all this like he becomes super hormone guy, which and you know, we don't we can assume I guess that maybe the werewolf is male, that we when we actually see at the beginning of the one that can causes her transformation.
Speaker 3: Yeah he is, because the guy says he has a circumcised piece. And by the way, it bugged me that we never found out who that was and like, where did these werewolves start? That was another thing that bugged me.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I would tell you to watch the prequel, but I don't think you would like that one either.
Speaker 4: I don't think I've seen any of the sequel, prequel anything from I think I might have seen part two. I have to remember, it's been a long time. But yeah, I thought that was fascinating. And again, you know, having it passed through sexual contact is I don't think I've seen that anywhere else. But it fits the teenaggs kind of part of it, you know, it really does. And that's it's it's interesting to think that I associate Buffy basically, I associate metaphorical teenage horror with Buffy the Vampires Layer because it was such a big cultural thing, right it was.
Speaker 1: It was very important to the culture. But this movie is doing its own its own puberty teenage horror metaphors. Uh, well, I think that are different from the Buffy metaphors, and that's pretty cool.
Speaker 4: I think this one is for the true women horror fans right, because how gross it is and everything, which usually gorehounds tend to be guys interested. I think that, you know, this is definitely one of those Hey we made something for you too.
Speaker 1: There's a small set of those, because there's that one with the girl who has I think it was called teeth. She has the vagina dian tie, so she's.
Speaker 3: I mean, whoever's idea that was assumes that women. One of the talk like showing a bunch of girls having periods and all over the floor. I mean, no, why would we want that? Like you don't want to see a bunch of guys just leaking semen everywhere? Like why would that be something that you would enjoy?
Speaker 5: You know what?
Speaker 3: I mean, that's not It depends on how I mean I'm talking about just in general, like like dacking off by themselves and in their in their bathroom.
Speaker 2: What what is that? What does that meant to symbolize in the movie though, Like that that's an.
Speaker 3: Abstract make it for women just because girls are bleeding over the slayer, That's what I'm saying. I don't know, but that was my idea.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's it's it, you know, obviously there was a woman's screenwriter on this, so like, I you know, and but I'm not going yeah, like and I, like I said, I do know a lot of women that just love this movie. So you know, I never think though that just going back to my comment about the more specific you make something, the more relatable it is. I never Okay, So like I'm writing right now a story where the two main characters are a lesbian couple. That does not mean that it's like, yes, I hope lesbians enjoy it in the way that I hope most people enjoy it, But that does not mean that it's only for a leans. So like, I'm sure the people who made this were glad and probably gratified that it spoke to certain women, obviously not to Julia, but that does I doubt they were like, we're making this for women specifically, because you don't make a were wolf movie with I think the probably the actual thought process that was going into this because and this is going to open this up a little bit into the overall because you know, we're doing werewolf movies and so to me, the werewolf movies that tend to stick around, they turn you know, being a were wolf into a metaphor, so like you have in like American Werewolf of London, being a were wolf is it's post traumatic stress disorder. You know, you you have certain werewolf movies that play with the idea of being a were wolf as an addiction. This movie shows, you know where you know, like anthropy is puberty and you know that that I you know, I think like the menstruations and stuff and everything you know is probably more hinging on that than I. Again, even though there is a woman's screenwriter involved with this movie, the director is a man, and I seriously doubt that they were like, we're making a movie just for women horror fans, because I just I don't, at least to me, I just don't think that's the way the creative process works. I think you come up with what kind of stuff are we you know, we're trying to tell a werewolf story. Is what is a werewolf represent in what we're the story we're trying to tell. I think they probably talked about that, but.
Speaker 1: I wanted to do something she spoke about. So I saw a quotation from Karen Walton, Okay, and what it was is she it was just a different way into the story. She felt like she felt like this would be a new angle. She was thinking about American Werewolf in London, which is about two men, one's becoming a one's becoming a werewolf, one's dead, but he's still around for all of them, and she's like, she thought, let's do that with women, Like what would it be? I think that all of all of the above can be true because you could have inadvertently created something that found it's found a wide market but also found a cult following in female Gore fans everywhere, but not all of them, because Julia by Now is a female female horror fan and it's not to her taste, right, and that's.
Speaker 2: Okay, but not everything. Again, not everything needs to be for everybody.
Speaker 1: Right right right?
Speaker 2: No, for sure, But I honestly, I feel like what you just said about what she said about American Werewolf in London kind of confirms what I was just saying, because she wasn't saying I want to write a story about you know, that's that's own, that's only for the specific group of people to enjoy. She was saying, Hey, wouldn't it be interesting if we told a were wolf story that was centered on women?
Speaker 1: And in two thousand by the way, I mean, that's that's like.
Speaker 3: But I guess I'm thinking the more I'm thinking about it, the more the issue I had. One of the issues I have is that it's not centered on women. Supposedly, it's centered on cubescent girls, and yet immediately after they supposedly quote unquote go through puberty, suddenly she's this sex pot, Like she's like this sex kitten, and that's just not how it is. When you actually just get a period, you're like the most awkward you're ever going to be. You're not like, you know, there might be some twelve year old boy who's attracted you now you have boobs, but she's not this girl. Like this girl is hot and and everybody you know.
Speaker 2: Is like, well, that's also supposed to be because she's turning into a ware wolf exactly. But you're on top of that mixing up.
Speaker 3: It's all of it's things like it's like, oh, she's sexy because of her body, and she's sexy because she's sixteen, and she's sexy ex turning to werewolf, but also she just had a period. For her first period, I'm like, it doesn't work for me. She shouldn't that just I just feel like it either should have been one or the other. Either she's entering like sexual maturity and becoming a were wolf, or she's got a period and becoming were wolf, but not both. Like to me, they don't go together.
Speaker 1: That's interesting what you just said a lot, But if you had kept it as a metaphor and left out the actual getting of the period at the ripe old age of sixteen, then then it might have been a simpler story to tell her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if she was just suddenly like finding herself sexually, that'd be fine. I think that would have been I would have way preferred that film interesting before Again, if you as she was thirteen and getting a period, that would have been fine too. And then she wasn't just you know, like maybe guys were finding her sexually attractive because she's now got boobs, but that's like a new thing and she's not the one kind of just like not everybody's just going this this this very sexually uh developed, you know, like whatever, the mature girl.
Speaker 2: And she's probably she's probably between nineteen and twenty five, because that's right away exactly hot.
Speaker 3: She is a sex kitten. I mean, she's gorgeous, So there's not I do think.
Speaker 2: I do think it's well, first of all, you are one hundred percent allowed to feel that way, and I'm a guy, so I'm not going to tell you how to feel. But I you know, as it aside to that, something I thought about this time around with the sort of idea of like she's she's a sexualized where Wolf. I do think it's interesting that they chose that the more wolfy she gets, the blonder she gets, which is sort of like the more you know, sex kitten kind of kind of hair color. And I never I never thought about that until now. You know, it's sort of almost like Pamela Anderson where Wolf she.
Speaker 1: Gets the white stripes like rogue, and.
Speaker 2: By the time that she's like, you know, like that, she by the time like you you have her almost fully wolfed out, like she's just yeah, she's got like this platinum blonde you know, big you know, lily monster. Yeah. So and it looks it looks, you know, like it does like you know, they were definitely trying to like if this movie were to come out now, I guarantee you I would go to a convention in a few months and we would see people coss playing this character and you know, maybe they're you know, maybe I just don't, you know, aren't good. I'm not going to the right conventions because maybe there still are people that do that. But like it just the choice to make her blonde, which is like the most stereotypically sexy hair color too, right, right, But I think I think that wasn't part of the culture quite yet. I think, you know, there was a gest stating period. Yeah, but I mean, you know, I think with guys in my age group, because I think, you know, if you talk to guys, this is this is a revealing thing. But when you talk to guys in my age group, I think most of them will tell you that they think that redheads are sexier than blondes. But I think a lot of that also goes back to like maybe imprinting on who framed Roger Rabbit at an early age, you know, you know, I and I think that that really came around. But I mean the idea of like a blonde, you know, bombshell is ever green, it is this, it's stereotypical.
Speaker 1: Although it's now we're just thinking now I'm just thinking of redheads. We were talking about Ginger from Ginger the movie Star from from Gilligan who was from Gilligan's Island, a late nineteen sixties television program for those of you who weren't born, and it's, uh, basically, we all also grew up with the bombshell of you know what, Ginger is a lot like Jessica Rabbit.
Speaker 2: I mean, Ginger is basically that they were trying to do a redheaded Marilyn Monroe.
Speaker 1: But the.
Speaker 2: My point is, though it's not the other I'm not trying to say that other hair colors can't be thought of as sexy. And certainly there are people that think brunettes are the height of sexiness, and certainly there's I'm I'm just saying blonde is stereotypically You're absolutely right.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not even saying that I agree with that.
Speaker 1: Nobody saying that that's totally cool, which leads to the you know, those stereotypes are so freaking weird, man, I mean, there's it's so weird to see those stereots like to see. You know, I always liked Elia has awesome curly hair. I always loved curly hair, always loved it, and it was so weird to me to watch movies like The Princess Diaries and stuff like that where this girl has awesome hair and she straightens it. Nothing, no disrespect towards straight hair. I got straight hair myself, but it.
Speaker 3: Is so I'm gonna tell you. I'm going to tell you a secret, and that is that is what you call internalized racism because we as Latinas, and I'm sure I shouldn't speak for other people, but I imagine possibly also true for other ethnic groups who have curly hair. I have been told our whole lives that we really should have straight hair. You should be straightening your hair, do everything you can to have straight hair, because that's better. And it's because internalized racism, that is, that is the idea. So for the for those of us who are like, no, I'm gonna wear my hair natural, there's a bunch of people going, that's just not you shouldn't be doing that.
Speaker 2: That's also you know, also, you know, you just always want what you don't have. Because I have curly hair and I hate it, but everybody's always telling me that I have great hair, and I'm like, I wish I had.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: I grew up I was a kid in the seventies and I definitely wish I had straight hair that because everybody had straight hair, so I was like dying to have straight hair. But but then once I realized that, it took me. It took me until the end of the eighties to realize, wait a minute, all these people are getting perms, are trying to have what I have naturally, so I should just embrace it. But literally get It took me the whole eighties to get over what the seventies had done to me, to make.
Speaker 1: Me think that probably for so many people, Yes.
Speaker 2: Wow, I mean I think I think you know, nowadays we we we you know, have this culture where you know, people are trying to learn to like what they have, but you know that's always going to be a struggle that teenagers. Look look at the way I'm I'm steering us back to you film, the teenagers in particular struggle with and I think you know that is also something that's that's kind of going on in this this movie, because yet another one of the metaphors they choose to deal with is is like, you know, there's a lot of of like cutting in this movie, and of course, you know, teenagers, particularly teenage girls sometimes will will cut themselves if they Yeah. So you know, there's there's that and that, and there is also literally a scene where where Mimie Rogers interrupts Ginger in the bathroom and you know, to get her out. She says, oh, well, I'm I you know, she says, oh, you don't have anything I haven't seen before, hauled by that.
Speaker 3: I would never invade my children's privacy that way. That was just appalling.
Speaker 2: Well, you also probably wouldn't threaten to burn down your home.
Speaker 3: Too, so with my husband in it. By the way, what about dad in the house. No, that seemed to me like she was burning down the house with dad in it.
Speaker 1: That's why I didn't take it that way. But okay, I totally heard that.
Speaker 2: I'm there for Julia's interpretation. Whatever makes it more batshit is because.
Speaker 4: It's turning to ride or die. Mom was definitely like unexpected. Well you know, I like, I know you probably killed somebody.
Speaker 3: Well, that's why again, I kept expecting there to be like a Lost Boys twist where she was actually a were wolf too or something. I don't know. I really wanted there to be.
Speaker 2: I don't think these were wolves. I mean I I, you know, I don't know that the were wolves. I think this is another thing like the recent wolf man. I don't know that they turn back into people once they've completely wolfed out.
Speaker 3: Maybe there would be some kind of something, you know, like something in the family or whatever, but I don't know.
Speaker 4: So something else I found fascinating. So we have our our ex our pseudo Van helsing in this uh.
Speaker 2: Drugs dealer.
Speaker 1: He's great.
Speaker 4: I love I find it interesting that we have you know, he's a pot dealer, but he was he's not your typical man kind of He's no.
Speaker 3: He's a scientist. He's a botanist.
Speaker 4: He's a botanist. He's like, look, man, I can sell dirt. Wey the kids in this screen, Like that's that's how I survived because this whole botanist thing probably isn't as lucrative. So you know, he's selling dirty or his own strain to to you know, high school kids, yes, and putting up with them smoking up in his van. Uh.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: It's also this kind of landscaping van. But I thought it was interesting that we have a you know, early two thousands, you know, I mean, I guess he does a little bit, but in general he doesn't like partake him. He's not never with his own product. Like he doesn't become the stereotypical stoner. He's much more like, hey, let's figure he's the scientist of the bunch, which is an interesting that that the scientist in this town would be the botanist guy who's also you know, grown weed in his in his u in his uh greenhouse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's got a little greenhouse. And yeah, he's a neat character. I like that. He also has this nineties this nineties look with the floppy hair and and everything. You know, he's got his work van that these kids are away. Have you ever been who has been smoking weed in a closed vehicle like like I have, because you know sometimes and holy crap, yes, I mean holy mackerel, it is like it. I I'm just it's unbelievable, like like like just the way the way it just infuses an.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's that. And then also like again a high school age it's usually crappy. I never really smoke. Uh, you know, I've been to enough concerts that I mean, you just get a contact. I'm just being around, but you know, and also like hey man, let me turn you know, the whole gamut. Well, this time I have to smoke, ea, isn't it can? Or what if I have an apple? Like all of that stuff that you know, Dennis Theory talks about you becoming a carpenter.
Speaker 1: The silly thing, of course, is the funny thing is I am not because I smoked cigarettes for so long, I am not really sensitive to the smell of cigarette. Smoke doesn't bother me like at all, but the smell of weed, like the strong smell of weed, like somebody's been smoking in their little car for like an hour, and like that, it is not to my taste.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'd rather be around stoners than people who are drunk any day of the.
Speaker 5: Week, fair on Sunday.
Speaker 1: Oh no.
Speaker 4: But also like if you've also the other one is if you've ever had anybody spilled bomb water anywhere. That's that's the one that's just like, oh man, what what do you do? But anyway, back to this guy, and it was interesting that like this is our like I said again, he's kind of our Van Helson bringing the science to it and trying to figure out things. And you know, it's it's that that turn of like the jealousy that happens when the popular girl who you know likes him, is mad because it looks like he's he's definitely not attracted to Bridget, but their interactions making you know that that whole tension and everybody kind of thinks that he's like, man, I just want to figure out what what about wear wolves?
Speaker 2: Yeah I thought that, well, but he isn't. I do like that he isn't like he still is like, uh, a teenage boy at the end of the day, because like when when Ginger comes out, right, he's not Yeah, but he's not that much like at most you know, I think he.
Speaker 6: Don't think he's gone, he's yeah, he might be twenty one, but he's he's not that much older than the kids in the movie.
Speaker 2: He feels like a peer. And when Ginger comes on to him, like he does it immediately throw her off, you know, like it takes them, it takes him a second. So like he is still believable as like a hormonal younger guy to me, you know, like I I don't know, I I just appreciate that he's not like this flawless hero type, like he's he's a good he's a good regardless.
Speaker 7: Well, yeah, but I'm not hold that against them, you know, But like in the way the world your guy, your your dealer is not especially let's say especially the year two thousand is about the dealer at.
Speaker 2: This point is a entrepreneur. He's he's also a landscaper.
Speaker 4: Right, and I get you, but in general, like that he's still depending where he's that he's still gonna end up in jail if he gets caught.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know much about Canada, but I but I another aspect of his character that I really like. I like that he is not trying anything with Bridget he regards her as too young and and like, if this movie had been made in nineteen seventy six, I guarantee you that this guy would not be so careful.
Speaker 2: Well, also, he also probably would be played with something by some guy who looks like he's forty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, if Bill Murray, and he'd be like, I don't know, maybe like yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: And even up until the point where Ginger comes because he's not about he's like, look, I'm not high school anymore. It's his attitude because the one the girl he's trying to come on to him all the time. Yeah, he's their age. He's like a sixteen year old. Yeah, you know, like like there's a there's a he's driving off like he has he's like, I'm out of high school.
Speaker 1: It is so fun, by the way, to think how the seventies was a different universe, just a different universe. We didn't have rules for anything. I'm just shocked that people survived, because honestly, like like just Jesus Christ.
Speaker 2: I'm more I'm more surprised to anyone's surviving right now.
Speaker 1: But well there is that. I do worry, but yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: But I you know, it's it's also you know, he's the one who says, hey, this is an off shet, like we're not gonna use wolf Spaine, We're gonna use this. You know, this could be a cure all that stuff, and we go. We find out later too, he knows exactly what's going on despite the bridge. It's like, oh, he thinks it's me, that's the world.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, he knows.
Speaker 2: He's so.
Speaker 4: I thought that was a lot of that having I thought that dynamic was really great.
Speaker 1: Does Canada celebrate Halloween? I didn't even know that, Yeah they did. It was a big thing in Canada. That's pretty cool, all right, we should probably hit on whatever we have not brought up, and then moved towards our final thoughts.
Speaker 2: Well, what else did Julia hate about it? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, well no.
Speaker 3: I mean she just as we've been going through. It's like I'm chiming in with with all the things. It's basically everything that, you know, everything I thought was going to happen didn't happen, and then I didn't like very many of the things that did happen. So I don't like I didn't like the creature effect. I didn't like the the werewolf that when she turned fully into the were wolf, I didn't like that how it ended like that They didn't they didn't end up using the the antidote to turn her back like I thought she was going to turn her back and then they would be kind of off in the sunset together as best sister.
Speaker 2: I mean, when when do werewolf movies have happy endings?
Speaker 3: Well, but I like happy endings, so I don't like it when they.
Speaker 2: I mean, I can't, I can't fall to for the because you know, it sounds like your reaction to this was not dissimilar to my reaction to the Wolfman remake.
Speaker 1: So that's so funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know, like because but I will say this, I do think the ending would be a little better if they had stopped her transformation when she was a little more human looking, because I think the fact that you lose you know, Ginger entirely well to a degree that's sad. You now have Emily Perkins acting off of this animatronic were wolf puppet that looks like a gorilla and a wolf had had a baby, and I think, you know, the chemistry between the two girls is so much of a core of the movie that I will say this time around watching it, I did think to myself that I would like the ending of the movie better if if she hadn't been that far, or if they at least kept her in this sort of pre total wolf out stage.
Speaker 1: I liked her vampire look in the party, when she's like that with white hair and she's gone.
Speaker 2: I think that's the the I think I would have liked to have seen that like a little longer. I mean, you know, I I can understand the impulse of wanting to have like a big, you know, show that she's like fully gone, but you know, you know, this is just me, you know, speculating because of some of the stuff that that Julia said, and then you know kind of, you know what one of my own reactions of this time of revisiting it. But you know, I don't I I never like happy ending so that that's a that's a whole other thing.
Speaker 5: I was. I was glad.
Speaker 4: I like happy endings, but also I didn't expect that from this. But I will say I thought that they I kind of see where both of you are coming from. I do think that up until a point they when they picked, when they decide to pick and choose where to show the creature so that they could kind of get the bang for the buck for animatronics and having to spend the money to make all that and film it. I think it was really smart. There's a lot of cutaways, there's a lot of kind of hiding it off screen, a lot done with soundscape. I thought was really good filmmaker decisions to give you creature when when it made the most sense. And I that's the kind of stuff that was kind of going through my head this time, was like, oh, you know, I'd forgotten they how much they kind of keep you guessing or are really smart, like when it runs past and they'll they'll turn the cameras to certain ways. I you know, I thought that was great. And again I think that the turn the mom's turn of like she doesn't see you know, we skipped over the whole part where you know, their rival comes to see them and she gets killed totally accidentally, but they were ready to use violence.
Speaker 1: Having said that, I still I don't recommend this. If somebody that you are having a fight with, nevertheless slips and im pails themselves and dies, my best advice is probably to go ahead and call the police.
Speaker 3: Rather she hit her head on the counter, that would have been easily Like, there was no reason why they didn't call the police at that point. Just all they need to do is put the knife back where it was, because I mean, there wasn't anything. They didn't do anything really to her. So yeah, I thought that was really dumb. And the whole thing with the fingers really annoyed me. That whole thing was annoying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but without the fingers, we don't get the mom going, you know what, let's all, let's let's down.
Speaker 3: There would have been plenty of other opportunities because they did a lot of other ship. I mean, they did kill some people.
Speaker 1: I just want to say, by the way, I think she's Mimi Rogers. One of the reasons she's so great is she is just like these girls are on their own planet, kind of talking their own language in the beginning almost and and doing their their tableau, and they they really have their thing down of being annoyed by the rest of the world. I mean, there's a there's a kind of joy in their counterculture of two that they live in, and they got a good life ahead of them wherever the hell they're going to go. Mimi Rogers is very similar. She has her own look and her own way of speaking and and everything hers is the opposite. Like she's wearing pastels and and you know, embroidered flowers and stuff like that. But she's still all of these are all these people are very unusual, you know, And so I like, I like Mimi Rogers in this in this movie, she's a cool mom. She is. Yes, And one thing I.
Speaker 3: Will say I did like I did like all the crazy pictures that the girls were taking of like face setting up fake face.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's what I'm saying. Yeah, yeah, I guess I should know. Yeah, their tableaux or dioramas, I guess could call them anyway. They're they're awesome.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, I think there's I didn't. I definitely didn't mind that the ending as it is, I it doesn't go where you think it might go as well, And I was okay with that because you know, you.
Speaker 4: Didn't know, Okay, are they both gonna wolf out and they'll they'll get back, they'll become you know, wearable sisters and therefore go off or will see heal and not to deal with the aftermath, you know, all the stuff with Sam getting you know, fit and all that like whoa that you know, it goes places you don't expect great in a in a horror movie. So I didn't mind. I I you know, like I said, I I liked kind of where it headed.
Speaker 1: Awesome. Okay, I think we've hit probably everything. Let us let's go ahead and get our final thoughts. This has been really fun. This has been extremely fun to talk about, especially with with one person not a big fan, because it gives you an opportunity to sort of like like kind of thing like about about your own point and go, huh, is this gonna pass? Muster.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: I love it. So this has been a lot of fun, Julia.
Speaker 3: I mean, the only thing I want to say that I haven't said is that I did think the actor performances work pretty good. I think the girls are great, and so I don't want to take away from that. Yeah, but I think I've said everything else I needed to say.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Let's see Tony. Uh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I really I like the movie. I kind of now that. And now we're talking, I do wish we had another woman on the cast. Not not to say the degree or anything, but just like I'm a guy, so there's a lot of stuff.
Speaker 1: So we're not ganging up you. No, no, I get it.
Speaker 4: Well no, no, Well, it's just like there's contextual things I didn't have. The I'm not gonna have the same high school experience, and I mean, I you know, I I didn't need either way because I grew up in such.
Speaker 5: A small, weird town and all of that.
Speaker 4: But you know before but I I know enough to kind of know and like, like I'm in the same boat with Drew. Like I know a lot of women who are like this is my jam and this is what when I saw this, like horror made sense to me, and this made sense to me, and I get it, and so I always kind of took it around like okay, cool, like that.
Speaker 5: Gets the past.
Speaker 4: But again, everybody, you know, there's stuff I don't like that's popular and it's fine. I felt like I knew the experience where I could through that. I felt like, okay, well I get it. But regardless, I thought it was a good kind of coming of age, you know, team horror movie. And it definitely again, the ripples from this movie are felt throughout the horror. This is an important movie for horror, especially indie horror, and I you know, looks to me, it looks good. I mean, it is grotesque. I forgot, like I said, wore, I forgot how like how glory it was, especially you know, it's animal horror, like when it's just where Woltz or it's like people, you're like, oh, poor people. But you know, when it's your pet.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of different that's a.
Speaker 4: Different kind of Oh no, you know that that's a visceral. Ah, that's really even more grotesque.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 3: I did think it was really funny that scene when the woman because the opening, by the way, is really effective. The little kid digging in the sandbox and then sudden pulls up blood on his fingers. That was very effective. And then the mom is just screaming that it's got her. They killed their dog, and the kids playing like hockey or whatever it was in the street are just like, okay, lady, whatever, that's pretty That was pretty good scene.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 4: One thing that is great is that sets that that sets the tone. This is not Tim Burton Suburbia. Yeah, this is a this is a different Grady or suburbia where nobody like this is seven Ton, and it's what they're reacting to. It's what the sisters are reacting to. You like, nobody cares, pro test. Things happen and we're part of this grotesquery. And the mom is like, and also nothing is nothing affects you and till it affects you directly is what they're in this in this area. And that's that opening really sets the tone for all of that and kind of where they're coming from. I thought that was I agree with you, that's brilliant.
Speaker 1: That really that really was. Thank you very much, Tonny Drew. What are your thoughts?
Speaker 2: I really like this movie. I actually, this is yet another movie that we've done that I actually thought we had already done an episode on which I guess when you have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or you know, since episode four and fifty five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that many done so many movies, you're bound to have some memory slippage. But you know, I, I I think it's not only you know, an important horror film. I think it's one of when when people start listing off like movie they would if you were to say, somebody to somebody, okay, listen me the ten best where wolf movies, this is one that would crop up on a lot of people's lists. So it's it's a very very important movie to the werewolf cannon. So I'm glad that we finally did it, you know. I if nothing else, we got Jason his chance. We gave Jason an excuse to watch it. I I also just think, you know, I, I really find this movie affecting in a lot of ways, Like you know it. It hits me in in the right way, you know, with with just about every viewing, So I I never feel like I've wasted my time when I revisit it. But obviously not everybody felt that way. And I like Jason, I do think that that's made for a more dynamic conversation, and I am I am there for for Julie is the scent I'm disliking a movie that is typically acclaimed.
Speaker 1: So yeah, anyway, wonderful, thank you very much. I have loved discussing this movie.
Speaker 2: That there are.
Speaker 1: Lots of films that are cult favorites or even just pop cultural favorites that that miss you because you know, there's a lot of movies, there's a lot of pop culture, and we just we don't have time to watch everything. So there's lots of stuff I've missed, and it's kind of cool to like circle back to to pick one up. And I enjoyed, I enjoyed watching this. I'm I'm sorry, Joya that you didn't dig it, because you know, we'll we'll we'll have to watch something soon that that that is more more to your taste. Yeah yeah, yeah, but but I've really loved hearing the discussion on it. This has been really cool. Okay, let's get our endorsements. I don't even remember what my endorsement. I'm gonna have to look for my notes, but well, but luckily I go last Trulia and I'm writing down what people endorse so that I concluded in the in the show notes, what do you got? What do you got for us?
Speaker 3: Well, I've already endorsed several times severance, but it continues to kick ass. But I also want to throw in a show that is very different from what I usually like, but I'm so happy to be watching it, which is called The Traders. It is a like Mafia or Werewolf the game. It's where they you know, basically you don't know who the Traders are of the group, but it's a reality basically kind of a reality game show type of show, like a Survivor type of thing, and everyone and it's it's led. It's hosted by Alan Cumming and he is delicious and wonderful in every single way. They're in this gorgeous castle in like Scotland, I think, for someplace, and and all of the contestants are people who were famous from other reality shows. So there will be like you know, Tom sand them all from Pander Pump Rules, and some people from Survivor, and a bunch of housewives and a bunch of people, all these different people and it is the funniest show. I just love it. So much. I can't wait for the new episodes. So that is my guilty pleasure.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much. The traders. All right, Tony, what about you?
Speaker 2: Let's week.
Speaker 4: I have a bunch of stuff so I'll try to keep it make quick, but I do have a bunch of stuff on the Gotch store. Starting out on the bands side, one of my one of my favorite bands.
Speaker 5: They're from Houston.
Speaker 4: Warlong just released their album and it's pretty awesome. I'll have to Jason, I'll send you links. Yeah, it is cool. They're really good people and kick asks like great vocals.
Speaker 1: How do you pronounce? How do you spell that? Sorry? Warlong?
Speaker 4: Warlong?
Speaker 5: Just there? Lung.
Speaker 4: Their their album is The Poison Touch and it's out on band camp and Heavy sych Sounds I believe is their album label for the correctly. I'll give you all of that. Yeah, Heavy sych Sounds. My Friend's and Duel are on that. But war Along is great and like I said, they're good people. Scorpion Child from Austin is making their comeback with the new album as well, so that's pretty pretty great. I think other things coming out. Trick or Treat is actually getting a non special edition version, so anybody who missed the original four K Trick or Treat, which I bought multiple covers of because I'm crazy that way. It's coming out on four K Blu ray and DVD and that's uh, March eleven. So if you missed, if your if you're fan like I am, and you missed the original release because it sold out pretty quickly, March eleventh is coming out. So that's really cool. I haven't got a screener for it yet to compare and contrast, but kind of multiple formats on that one is pretty awesome. There's also there's going to be a limited edition flip cover on that, and I got the screener because it sounded great and it sounded like a fun thing.
Speaker 5: It was really fun.
Speaker 4: I got the screener for a horror comedy horror slack of comedy that comes out on the fourth of March. It's gonna be on demand called Gothic Slayers. It's kind of a post Normally I'm not for the jocks, but the jocks in this air nerds. They're they run a mini golf place, okay, and it's them versus a cult of a gothic cult and they play a game called Gothic Slayers, and so there's a lot of pixel art game stuff. In fact, they intersperse kind of pixel art gameplay in with the movie, which has done really well. You know, it's kind of broad humor. So you know, Jason, I don't know. I have no picture bag, but I find it endearing. I thought it was cool. It's kind of a a lot there's a lot of sound effects and stuff. Kind of it's kind of a post Scott Pilgrim kind of movie.
Speaker 5: Got it well, there's a.
Speaker 4: Lot of that kind of video game soundtrack mixed in, you know, sound effects, et cetera. But I Ray and I both had fun. Like I got the screener because you know, we were in goth bands and you know, Rain wrote her you know, hot and Mini Golf book, and so I was like, oh, we need to see this, and so they were kind enough to send us a screener for Gothic Slayers. I think that it's a fun horror comedy. It has a lot of heart. I dug it so that sounds like it's up, you know, up your alley. You can catch it on the fourth of March.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 4: I think it's cool. You know, we'll include the trailer and everything like that, and the two other things. I saw Companion, which I thought was fantastic. I wish it had a shorter wind, a longer window in the theater. It's about to come out on the man by kind of singer than.
Speaker 5: I thought, which Lable.
Speaker 4: I thought, yeah, you know, I mean, you know, that's the nature of the biz. But I thought Companion it has a lot to say, It's got a lot of great actors and actresses in it. It's well worth through time. And then finally on Apple Plus, I saw The Gorge, which Jason Julian, you guys need to see this like it's uh. And our friend Carhill was a proasterer on it. It's a Scott Derekson, so you know, they're they're kind of the combo working together on a lot of stuff, cool stuff. And I thought it's really it was a really good kind of Valentine stay weakened. There's romance, there's action, uh, there's thriller stuff. I we had a blast, uh you know, and Rain's pretty picky on movies, so she really dug it. We watched it on my projector and it looks great. It's on right now, So yeah, I forgot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we do know. I forgot to talk about Companion, which was great. I won't go into it because it's not my turn but anymore, but it was really good to the movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was solid, right scary actually, yeah, very.
Speaker 4: Very and you know, there are some great moments in it. We were like, yeah, that's it, that's what you do. Like I get it, but uh yeah, you guys should you guys should check.
Speaker 5: Out the gorge.
Speaker 4: It's it's really it's done really well. I expected as much. I think my only regret is I kind of wish I could have caught they did a screening here in town, and I would have loved to see Ben with a crowd in a theater when different things happened, just to get that visceral crowd like whoa. You know, I think our direction on it's really gatty. They do some stuff with the creature effects that I was very pleased. And I know that's kind of long winded, but again, I saw a lot of stuff this week.
Speaker 1: Then sure, sure, sure, true. What about you?
Speaker 2: I'm going to keep it really short and sweet. I am have teamed up with David Bolse, who is frequently on the podcast as well as Superstar comic book artist Monica Gallagher and Superstar comic book colorist Harry Saxon to create The Matron, which is a slasher comic book series that first of all, it takes place during the deep freeze that happened in Texas during twenty twenty one. It's it's got a lot of cool elements to it. It has its roots in an old Texas chainsaw massacre comic book pitch, but is evolved into something brand new. We're doing it with IPI Comics, which are based out of Australia, and they are running a very cool Kickstarter campaign with all kinds of crazy perks, one of which began as a joke that I made on our group chat about how one of the perks should be allowing you to get drawn into the comic book as one of the Matron's victims. So yes, you could actually get killed by our slasher in this comic book if you become a backer, So please check out the campaign. This is you know, I have had a very long career in comic books, but I have mostly stuck in my own lane with Halloween. Man. This is my first time really kind of uh back, you know, like getting getting out of that lane in in a good while. And I think what David and I have come up with is really special, and you know it is gonna speak to a lot of people right now, but also, uh, you know it's it's I think, a unique take on the slasher genre. So please again check out the Matron on Kickstarter.
Speaker 1: Wonderful, Thank you very much, and I'm going to leave it there and come back with endorsements next week. But I am so thankful that you guys would share. And I've really enjoyed talking about ginger snaps as we make our way through a lot of different werewolf movies. I think it's I.
Speaker 3: Think it's ginger like ginger active.
Speaker 1: I've enjoyed generous snaps. And so we're making our way through really great beloved films and some cult movies and some that are both, and surely one or two there neither. So this is I'm having a lot of fun with this, all right, Everybody, be excellent to one another, leave us your comments on the Facebook page, and we can't wait to talk to you again. Have a wonderful evening, everybody.
Speaker 5: Everybody