Speaker 1: Today's presenting sponsor is simply Safe home security and politics. As in so many fields, being proactive matters. If you're waiting for your opponent to strike first, you're already on your back foot. The same rule applies in home security. Unlike traditional security systems that only alert you after a break in is already underway, simply Safe is designed to help stop intruders before they get inside. Smart AI powered outdoor cameras to text suspicious activity at the perimeter of your home and alert live US based agents to step in. Simply Safe agents assess the threat, intervene through the outdoor camera to ward off trespassers, then call for nine to one to one dispatch. Our CEO, Lucinda recently had a simply Safe installed in her home and she said it was quick and easy to install. It was up and running in no time. It's been working great for her and it gives her the peace of mind to know who's dropping by or if you want, you can easily chat with visitors through the camera even when you're away. Simply Safe has been protecting your world for twenty years. Right now you can get fifty percent off a new simply Safe system. Go to simplysafe dot com slash crooked. That's simplysafe dot com slash crooked for fifty percent off. There's no safe like simply safe.
Speaker 2: At Radio Lab, we love nothing more than nerding out about science, neuroscience, chemistry.
Speaker 3: But but we do also like to get into other kinds of stories, stories about policing or politics, country music, cocky sex of bugs.
Speaker 2: Regardless of whether we're looking at science or not science, we bring a rigorous curiosity to get you the answers.
Speaker 4: And hopefully make you see the world a new.
Speaker 2: Radio Lab adventures on the edge of what we.
Speaker 3: Think we know.
Speaker 4: Wherever you get your podcasts, Welcome to.
Speaker 1: PLoud Save America. I'm Jon Favra, I'm John loved Tommy Vitre. Today Show. Todd Blanche is getting confirmed as Attorney General after killing Trump's January sixth slush fund, But is it really dead. We'll talk about that and whether Blanche's US attorney for DC, Janine Piro, is about to be fired for telling the truth about the reflecting pool that Trump still says was vandalized. We'll also cover the disturbing case of House Republican Max Miller what it means for our efforts to flip the House and what you can do to help flip the House as well. We got more news about cursed DNC chair Ken Martin a Michigan primary that's finally ending, and later I talked to Wisconsin gubernatorial candidate Francesca hung about her momentum in a huge race that's just seven days from the finish line. But first, it was another eventful weekend where the Commander in chief threatened Iran with what he was calling the biggest attack since World War II, only to once again pull back at the very last moment because of alleged talks about an alleged deal that no one can confirm. Aroan says it's bullshit. US officials told CBS no new talks have been planned, and by Monday afternoon, Trump put to rest any lingering confusion with his usual clarity.
Speaker 3: And this is a fifth time you turn off air strikes against your lonsence evil to negotiot.
Speaker 5: What is your message to American people.
Speaker 6: Who are wondering what has changed this time?
Speaker 3: Why should be anything?
Speaker 5: Well, you don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 7: I think we're gonna maybe get something, but I want to give him every last chance before decapitation. This is the last chance for them to sign a good document.
Speaker 5: I'm very proud of the fact that I will give people. I'll give people a chance. This is a big move around. Knew it, They knew what was coming. It was going to come last night, and it would have gone on for a long time and they'd be essentially very little left. There'd be nothing left.
Speaker 1: Okay, it seems like he's about to wrap this thing up.
Speaker 8: Huh, little time before the decapetation. Queen of farts every year.
Speaker 1: Why do you think Trump called off plan strikes for the five hundredth time.
Speaker 3: I think it was a combination of things. I think the Saudi's got to him and other Gulf autocrats who pay him bribes. They do not want to see planes, Yeah, give them planes, god knows what else. They don't want to see a resumption of full scale combat because for them, that means the oil and gas industry gets all screwed up. They can't get their exports out. And also the Iranians fire a bunch of missiles and drones at them, so that sucks if you're sitting in Saudi Arabia or Bahrain or Kuwait or whatever. I think NBS mom had been Sawmon in particular, was persuasive. There's also this ongoing issue about they don't have enough interceptor missiles to defend from all these Iranian ballistic missile responses. I think Trump also knows it's going to jack up oil and gas prices pretty close to the midterms and probably not materially impact the situation. You're not going to win the war in a weekend. Remember, I mean, I think you and I talked about this on Friday. Some of the reports were like Trump's got the biggest airstrike barrage since World War Two, plan that'll be done by Monday. It's like, you're not going to win the war. So he's bluffing and he's trying to see if you can use it his leverage. The thing is driving me crazy. Just for a quick aside, you guys, remember the whole Syria redline thing. Mm hmm. That was a fight about Syria policy kind of. But the thing everyone in Washington said is presidents don't bluff, right, You can't threaten to do something and then not implement it. And like Trump has not done that five times, and all the Republicans who blame the Syria, red line for Putin invading Crimea or everything China does. Are just silent on this now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and at this point, I'm sure that the Iranians here like the biggest, most devastating attacks since World War Two, and they probably start laughing.
Speaker 3: They're like, we just beat you in a previous war.
Speaker 8: What's also like, what how many times? How many cycles of this can we go through? We're going to obliterate your society, We're going to send you back to the Stone Age?
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure you are, And.
Speaker 8: Then it's called off. But by the time the market's open on Monday, over and over again. The thing that's scary to me is at some point he's going to have to fall through. There's only so many times we can this cycle, especially because the Iranians are not being cooperative with what Trump wants, which is to pretend there's negotiations because you know, they go along with what I'm saying. Why why are you being so difficult and not confirming my ridiculous vacillations in the story I'm telling about how my threat of terrible violence brought you back to the table.
Speaker 3: Remember a couple of weeks ago when you said they had killed off all the hardliners, and now the remaining people were more practical.
Speaker 1: Did you guys see the Did you guys see the CNN story with the headline US military asks troops for creative and unconventional ideas to punish Iran war crimes.
Speaker 3: Brainstorm.
Speaker 8: It's not everybody. We're doing a mood board. Everybody, everybody into the conference room. We're doing a mood board.
Speaker 3: Guy's got all bad ideas in a brainstorm.
Speaker 1: I mean that that tells you something that maybe maybe they're sort of out of Clearly they're out of ideas, they're out of The bluffing is getting trickier to pull off.
Speaker 3: Really does feel like a writer's room.
Speaker 1: What a warble fucking ubers. So Trump did get much closer to having a full fledged attorney general after Todd Blanche finally did what the president has refused to do. He posted a letter showing that he'd formally rescinded the order creating the January sixth Insurrectionist slush Fund, and in an accompanying press release, DJ said the other big part of the ir S settlement, immunity from investigations into potential tax fraud for Trump and his family would apply quote only retroactively. Tom Tillis and John Cornyn, the two holdouts, promptly said that was good enough for them and they will now vote in favor of his nomination. Trump had asked about the conditions in the oval on Monday, and he was noncommittal.
Speaker 2: On Todd Blanche.
Speaker 5: I didn't look at it. All I know is that Todd Blanche is great. He's going to do a great job. Everybody knows it. And I understand there's been a sign off, but I don't know what they agreed. I think Todd Blanche agreed to we confirm things that he's already said. And what he said was okay, so.
Speaker 1: Blanche is getting confirmed. How ironclad do you think Blanche's rescinded order is? Love it?
Speaker 8: So Cornin or Tillis, and it doesn't matter which one? In some interviews said, look, you know, could could a future Attorney general rescind the paper? Could Trump rescind it? Sure? But then it'll be up to the American people. And what's so like it? Just I knew this was coming, of course, is what they wanted to do. They've signaled that they said we want to get to yes, which Trump could see and so they were going to figure out some way to get to yes. They had a chance to vote on an amendment to ban this by law, and they chose not to. Other Republicans did it, They didn't. They didn't. And now after Trump has made fools of them, after Trump has you know, injected himself into their primaries and const him their seats as they're leaving office, the best that they can muster is the sort of pathetic display of like a piece of paper that can be rescinded, like experts and lawyers don't even necessarily believe this paper applies to the settlement because the settlement required signatures of all parties, so it may not even apply today. And they had an opportunity to vote for something that would have actually banned it in the law, they chose not to because that would have been a victory for their Democrats. And so I don't know what they're telling themselves when they sort of close their eyes at night, but it is the most Trump had their fucking number. They were as weak and craven and pathetic as he thought, and he has been proven right, and these pieces of paper aren't worth a fucking thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Trump said the slush fund was a gift Todd, and I'm taking it with me. I don't believe for a second this is dead. You can move him off of bad policies, but you can't really move him off of something that he wants personally, and this is money in his pocket. If he can avoid higher s audits forever or have a slush fund, then you can divvy out for political power. Trump is not remotely embarrassed about this fund. It is quite clear that he thinks this is something that he is owed by us, the taxpayers. So I this I have zero I put zero stock in this terrible idea being dead. This is this is Michael Myers. This will keep coming back and coming back and coming back, and I think he will fight for it until he gets what he wants. The only thing that might kill it is Democrats winning the House.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Our friend sky perrriman lawyer who's been suing the Trump administration for Democracy Forward. She made the point to The New York Times that you know, if the Justice Department truly intended to end the fund, they would submit the sworn declaration that the Court has requested on this, which would be more binding than a fingers crossed promise from Todd Blanche that does not include the signature, as you said, love it if Donald Trump. So I would imagine this goes the way of everything else, like you know, the iced attentions that have now ramped back up. As soon as the news cycle moves on and Todd Blanche's attorney General, they will quietly start paying out individual January sixth convicts and other people that they like. And you know, we'll get some report months from now that, oh, someone discovered that people are getting payouts from the Trump administration, and someone will ask him about it, and he'll be like, well, I said it was unfair, but I don't know anything about that, and then that'll be that.
Speaker 8: This is also the whole thing is so ridiculous, because what are we negotiating over here. We'll get to it. But we have the president threatening to fire prosecutors simply for telling the truth about the prosecution of someone who didn't deserve to be prosecuted. We have Todd Blanche in front of Congress saying that DJ is not independent. We have so many reports about the politicization of the Justice Partment or Pambondi, and now Todd Blanche and their final act is to stop what is like the fund is it is so far beyond anything anyone could have ever seen from a president, a slush fund for fucking insurrectionists. And this is what they're going to pat themselves on the back about. This is as they have no political fights left to fight, as Trump has like made enemies of them. Can imagine the reverse of Trump being like, I'm gonna, you know, like as a senator being like, even though you humiliated me, I'm gonna, I'm gonna do the right thing for your cabinet nomine. It's ridiculous. It's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Good to run on in the midterms, anyone who look, a lot of these people are gonna vote to confirm Todd Blanche. And if I'm interested, to see what Susan Collins and Dan Sullivan and John Houstead do, because if you voted to confirm Blanche, you've basically voted for the slush fund, and so any ad about that is completely fair.
Speaker 3: No, no, no doubt.
Speaker 1: So Blanche is in. But Trump's US attorney for the District of Columbia maybe out on Friday afternoon. Former and now maybe future Fox News host Jeanine Piro announced in a court filing that the Justice Department would be dropping its case against former Olympian David Hearn, who had been facing a felony charge for allegedly vandalizing the reflecting pool. But Piro and the DOJ now admit, according to the court filing, that the damages to the pool were the result of a quote hasty and botched installation, not vandalism, no shit. The Department of Justice went on to accused the Department of the Interior of knowing it wasn't vandalism and misleading prosecutors about what really happened. Take that, Doug Bergram Trump surprise, surprise, is furious.
Speaker 5: Pierro about her decision to drop No, Janeine Piro made a mistake. It was vandalism. We have photographs or tapes like moving cameras, right, We have them where people are on the sets cutting it with a Now, I'm not saying I was one hundred percent thrilled with uh the contractor, But the contractor was rushing. We wanted to get it open for July fourth, and we got it done. It looked beautiful, and then they cut it. The judge was extremely unfriendly to Janine and Frankly, I think she choked, and I was disappointed with Jeanine Pierrou, really disappointed with Jannine Pierrou. She she folded like an umbrella.
Speaker 1: That was the closest he's come to sounding like he did in the Celebrity Apprentice, Like it's like the board room and he's about to fire someone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like meat loaf.
Speaker 8: You didn't make the taco restaurant operate up out of profit yet over at the bubblers were too loud on the memorial, Jeanane Pierra, You're fired.
Speaker 3: That's the best part saying they had to turn off the reflecting pool bubblers because it would have interfered with the UFC fight like a gurgling fountain. Yeah, would have distracted the rule. A thousand people cheering someone's face getting bashed in the roar of the pool pump.
Speaker 1: Apparently, Pierro and Burghram were seen after that walking into the Oval office, and then Bergram was seen walking out, but Pierro is still in there. Now. By the time this, probably by the time we finished recording this, we could already she could already be done. But uh, so so long, so long, Jeanine. It sounds like what a fucking mess. This was what a fucking mess. Yeah.
Speaker 8: Also, like before people go saying like I clearly like it seems like this was this was written in anger, like clearly annoyed at the whatever they were getting from the Interior Department. Uh.
Speaker 3: But regardless the.
Speaker 8: The idea that the Department of Justice, even after doing the right thing here in between fucking getting a chart an indictment for this guy and letting him go, like your entire story was reversed. What kind of evidence were you basing this on when you brought the charges in the first place. Why did you have to learn so much after you decided to try to ruin a man's life that you would eventually decide to drop it. I guess because you thought it wouldn't hold up in court.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, the only reason they had to come clean is because if you knowingly submit false evidence in court, you can be charged with perjury and you can go to jail, and you can you be punished by state bar associations and deal with all of their problems. So Doug Bergham's just like I'll just lie in the court of public opinion like, no skin off my ass. But Judge Shanine. It doesn't matter how many chardonnais you have, you cannot lie before the judge.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's always a spot on the five for her.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, they'll make it the six.
Speaker 1: I know, this one seems small and silly, and it's kind of fun because it's you know, Trump's renovations and it's the reflecting pool and it's so obviously a lie. But like, this guy was charged with a felony. It's crazy, had to get lawyer, was like facing jail time, and uh, it was all because of an obvious lie that everyone knew was an obvious lie. And they all I mean there's all you know, you can look for them anywhere, these clips all over the place of Caroline Levitt, Donald Trump, Janine Piero being like it's it's evidence. We have evidence that we're going to present in court and we know it. And it was the box cutter and just to lie the entire time, like one of them, one of the more brazen lies they've ever told.
Speaker 8: Yeah, there's one. There's some interview with with where someone's questioning Jeanine Piro about this and you realize, like she doesn't totally know the facts. He's like well, did he have a knife. He's like no, no, no, he did it with his hands. It's like, I'm sorry, what are you saying this?
Speaker 1: This?
Speaker 8: This could this sixty seven year old canoeist. He's like, what like swimming through the pools Wolverine. Yeah, it's crazy, right, like crazy to do this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, this is a it's a good Like, yeah, I'm with you. This story like didn't seize me when it came out in the same way the East Win kind of storied and like, really it wasn't the thing I care the most about. But what I think I've come to realize over time is how much symbols matter and how much it's made this corruption stories breakthrough. We can talk about, you know, day trading from the Oval Office and the amount of money Trump is making, but like stats and figures are not going to break through as much as a simple narrative like this, where you have Trump's you know, selfishness and ego leading a innocent man to be fucking prosecuted or you know, tearing down the East Wing or whatever. These symbols really matter. They make these stories break through. I think it's like impacted in politically.
Speaker 8: Also, it's coming on a day when the attorney general nomination is about to be carried through, Like, there are the two Republicans just decided to give their votes to like give their im premature to how this Department of Justice is being run in any other era, at any other time, this would be like you, of course, we need to bring Todd Blanche before the Senate again to find out what does he think about this? Was he aware of this prosecution? Does he think Jeane Para was in the wrong?
Speaker 1: Does he think now he's gotten out? Because if Trump fires there he'll be like, absolutely good, the President did the right thing. This was bad. This is not how we're going to run the Justice Department. Well, le's see what happens now. Of course he wouldn't have said that if Trump didn't fire.
Speaker 8: And also, what were you aware of these charges? Do you believe Doug Bergham misled the Department of Justice?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 8: Like, let's there needs to be some resolution of these facts because now we have Trump and the interioror department heads saying that there was still a crime and that this person should still be prosecuted.
Speaker 1: The it's not over either, because David Hern's lawyer has basically said that I think he told CNN that all options are on the table, and among those options, according to CNN, yeah, he's going with the Iran attack, except they can options are referring the prosecutors involved to a bar disciplinary authority, but filing lawsuits seeking more of the grand jury recording documenting the prosecutors present presentation of the indictment because they did get an indictment asking the judge to dismiss the case so it can't be brought again because Pira's office only dismissed it without prejudice, meaning that prosecutors wouldn't be barred from attempting to revive the case later. So they need to go further and make sure that they tough never can never bring it again.
Speaker 8: Tough case to bring again when you have the prosecutor saying that that they were misled by the Department of the Like.
Speaker 1: The tough but not unprecedented for this guy.
Speaker 3: Sure, but I.
Speaker 8: Would say it's like my question would be as like, are we gonna are we suing these plug where let's so we get this guy some.
Speaker 3: Cash them get some cash for this guy. It's more documents released. Pace of America is brought to you by Article. Article makes it effortless to build a home that lasts without the boutique markup. They're curated collections of mid century, coastal and scandy furniture, or designed to mix and match perfectly so you can create a cohesive designer look that will stand the test of time.
Speaker 10: We got a bunch of great Article stuff at this office. It looks good.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 10: It all showed up really fast. It was more affordable.
Speaker 3: We got some really comfy couches and chairs and desks and just like a ton of great stuff that all work together, even though we bought them in many different times. Article offers fast, affordable shipping across the US and Canada, with options for professional assembly. If you prefer a hands off experience, have a question, or need help with your design choices, Articles Customer Care team is available seventies a week, offering knowledgeable support and even free in tier design services to help you get your home just right. With Articles thirty day satisfaction guarantee, you can shop with confidence, knowing if you're not completely in love with your new furniture, you can easily return it. This peace of mind ensures you can invest in your home without hesitation. Article is offering our listeners fifty dollars off your first purchase of one hundred dollars or more. To claim, visit article dot com slash crooked and the discount will be automatically applied at checkout. That's article dot com slash crooked for fifty dollars off your first purchase of.
Speaker 10: One hundred dollars or more.
Speaker 1: Potze of America is brought to you by Wild Alaskan Company. The difference between low and high quality seafood is enormous, but it's also one of those things that's tough to accurately assess for yourself in the grocery store. Wild Alaskan Company offers the best way to get wildcought, high quality seafood delivered to your door on your schedule. Each Wild Alaskan box comes with individually portioned filets, vacuum sealed, easy to prep and great for any meal, no matter how quick or elevated. All fish is quick frozen fresh from the Alaskan waters, which helps lock in its freshness, texture, flavor, and key nutrients like Omega threes. It's fish you can trust with no GMOs, antibiotics or other additives. Every order supports sustainable harvesting practices an Alaskan fishermen whose history is tied to the region and practice. I adds some wildback. It's great. I love Wild Alaskan. I really like their tunay. It's really it tastes great. Wild Alaskan company is so confident that their fish is the best that they offer one hundred percent satisfaction and money back guarrantees. So you can try your first box risk free. Go to Wild Alaskan dot com slash criokeet for thirty five do off your first order of premium Wildcotseafood. That's Wildelaskan dot com slash Crookeet for thirty five dollars off your first order. Speaking of Trump cabinet, Kooch's RFK Junior. He made an appearance on CNN State of the Union with Dana Bash on Sunday morning for a thoughtful conversation about the nation's health. Let's take a listen.
Speaker 11: I will literally eat anything I don't have.
Speaker 3: I don't have, but.
Speaker 2: Let me put it like that.
Speaker 8: That's what Linda Graham said in having Wow Wow.
Speaker 1: I just just wanted to play that for you guys that that was not the Dana Bash conversation. But that is what the Health and Human Service secretary is up to.
Speaker 3: It's such a weird way to describe why you'll eat anything. It's not like I have a adventurous palate. I enjoy all kinds of food. It's like nothing makes me puke. Don't have a gag reflex. Okay, good to know, write it down. All right, let's let's check out the actual conversation.
Speaker 10: With data Bash in the US seeing protected children.
Speaker 12: I think that what I have talked to scientists and doctors about.
Speaker 1: Just give me look, can you show me one study? Yes, you are saying, you are saying something that you cannot show them a single study.
Speaker 12: I am not saying nonsense. I am talking with excuse somebody told you excuse me.
Speaker 5: And let me study what study?
Speaker 13: Study?
Speaker 1: What studies are.
Speaker 12: You talking about? You're talking about studies that actually don't exist. And I really want to move on.
Speaker 4: But yeah, you were saying you are because it's part of the problem.
Speaker 12: No, I wasn't talking.
Speaker 2: It was absolute press malpractice.
Speaker 12: Okay, are you going to you want to sit here and attack me or do you want to have conversations? I'm not attacking you. I'm asking questions about how to the next question, and I'll tell you that's what I'm trying to do.
Speaker 3: But you probably don't understand this because you're not a scientist.
Speaker 13: But you're not.
Speaker 1: Either, So what did you guys think of that uncomfortable and somewhat infuriating interview?
Speaker 3: So it is so.
Speaker 8: Hard twenty minutes that went by twenty minutes and is a brutal twenty minutes. And it is very difficult to in real time fact check someone who is all over the fucking place, mischaracterizing studies, asking me to prove the negative in the next sentence, grabbing for all kinds of things, the Mennonites aren't vaccinated. Actually, lime disease is from gain of function research, and you like you're all over the place trying and this is where it's like, you know what I think, data trying to call upon the history of recalling expertise and things you've a vibed. And this is where I think what makes it so difficult is that RFK his whole thesis, right, is that like this is all pretty nefarious, right he says, like, oh, the ICUs were actually empty, they were lying about basically how full all the ICUs were because they were trying to scare people and control people. You're being misled by all the experts, and I'm the one here to tell the truth, and you're just going to recite the experts that I have the real facts about. But he doesn't like RSV is not from gain of function research. That's a lie.
Speaker 3: Lime disease is disease.
Speaker 8: Lime disease is not from gain of function.
Speaker 3: They found the lime disease bacteria in a five thousand year old prehistoric fossil COVID COVID.
Speaker 8: Multiple studies have shown that COVID protects Show me one study that COVID vaccines protect kids. Tons of studies show that COVID protects kids. There was one that found that the only kids in the ICU from inflammation due to COVID were unvaccinated kids. Just over and over and over again, these likes like, you can't show me this and you can't show me that. Well, maybe not while sitting there kind of being peppered with bullshit from RFK Junior as sort of misogynistic you're not a scientist shit. But of course he's just like, you know, dissembling and misleading and lying about what the evidence.
Speaker 3: Is, Yeah, I think she did a good job at sometimes at some points, less good at the other. Like the very top, he says the US had the highest death rate from COVID. That's just not even close to true. Peru had the highest death rate per capita. We had the highest death toll, but that's largely a function of having the third highest population in the world.
Speaker 1: We're down at like eighteen for something, some of the teens for yeah.
Speaker 3: And also they give in this weird place where like a bunch of countries with you know, less stable governments don't have the resources to collect all the data, so we don't really know all this stuff. She has the question about. She asked him about gain of function research, and then he came back with this lie, saying RSV and lime disease were created by gain of function research, which is just unequivocally not true. And I think you do have to be prepared on that one to be like that is absolutely not true. The question phrasing itself was kind of strange. It was sort of like, in defensive gain of function research, I'm not sure that was the most valuable question. And then she kept pushing to move on, which is complicated because then you kind of sound slippery. I think it got better and more constructive in the measles section because she really just wanted to pin him down and get him to say yes, like get your kid the MMR vaccine. There's a horrible measles outbreak. It's deadly for kids. But then RFK says, I never questioned the efficacy of the MMR vaccine. Sir, Yes he did. He said it wanes, he called it leaky. That's a lie. It's like ninety percent effective, it has lifelong protection. Ninety percent of measles cases are unvaccinated people or of an unknown status. Now I had to research all of that right to like kind of fact check this guy, and it is why he's already so slippery and condescending. But like when you interview that guy, that's the job.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think this is how conspiracy theorists, especially with science and medicine, this is how they work, right, which is scientific judgment is not like every single scientist and every single study for all of time agrees on the same thing. It's the preponderance of evidence points one direction. Maybe there's one study that says something else, and then the conspiracy theorists latches onto the one study and is like, well, why maybe that's the study. Maybe that's the study that actually tells the truth, and all the other experts are wrong, And every time she could site a study, he could set a study back. The best way to get him is Tommy, you just said, which if he claims that he said something, you can be like, no, this is actually what you said, you know, and you can put it up, put it up, but or just say study these nuts.
Speaker 3: But it's also safe and effective way to reply.
Speaker 1: But when you're going when you're going study by study and science by science, this is this is like, you know, it's a microcosm of how we all fucked up the pandemic so badly. Right, is that it's just a bunch of Now everyone can go find their own research and can go find some study or some scientists or some asshole on Twitter who debunks scientific evidence that is overwhelming, Like that is that's the whole story of how we went through the pandemic. Yeah, it's all like now, the guy's fucking Health and Human Services.
Speaker 8: Right, and he like also just more broadly or deeply mischaracterizes the body of research on autism from vaccines to tile and all in part because if you're doing tons and tons of studies, one study may show a correlation and then some more research is done and they say, you know what, Actually we took that correlation research and we ran another analysis, also much bigger sample, to see what would happen between siblings, right, and actually turns out that that correlation doesn't produce causation when you look at it another way. And this is a much deeper bit of research. And so you know, while nothing is ever known for certain, we believe this is just sort of, uh, something that you can say there's no evidence for. But that's not acceptable. But this is why I come back to the ICU thing, like why what is like? This is where I think you have to go. So you're saying all of these scientists are lying or misleading because what they want kids to get sick, they want kids to get.
Speaker 3: Audis newsrooms are lying to newsrooms were saying that New York City ers were full and they were making it up. What on earth are you Donald Trump was president, if that were happening, he would have gotten to the bottom of it. That's his hometown and it's it's fucking insane, and.
Speaker 1: What's the motivation that they just they wanted everyone to stay home. They wanted they wanted to to have everyone stay home. And then I guess they all probably had you know, business connections to the pharmacy utical companies masks big. Yeah, well to try to get the vaccine. That's why they're all pushing the vaccine.
Speaker 8: Well, this was also like there were people running around with video cameras trying to prove that the ICUs in their town or their place where empty. And I was like, well that's not the COVID ward and by the way, yeah, like they're worried that's about to be huge influx of patients, etcetera, etcetera, And like it's all this idea that like you can't trust anybody, you can't trust the experts, you can't trust the science, Like did these did Fauci and all?
Speaker 1: Do they like?
Speaker 8: You know, there was plenty of ways in which they were trying to be I think, you know, too declarative, afraid of giving people nuanced because they weren't able to They weren't sure what they could trust the public with, in part because there were so much misinformation. But these were people desperately trying to figure out what to do in the middle of an emergency, and he sits there like kind of leaning back, being like it was all a lie. They were all lying. It is so fucking disgusting.
Speaker 1: But this is the whole I mean, this all came from the Fauci hearings last week, which we didn't really talk about on the pod, but basically they decided that because they found that in Fauci's you know, private journal, he was like, it's so cool to be me and meet celebrities. I'm like the most famous person in the world. They're like, that shows that he killed everyone.
Speaker 3: Like, but dialed Barbara streisand again, what a voice.
Speaker 1: And they're exactly like, sir, that proves it. That proves that you did everything wrong.
Speaker 8: Look, yeah, god forbid, we have an egomaniac in charge during a pandemic.
Speaker 3: Is it great for medical research in the scientific community to have the clips out there of Fauci pleading the fifth however many times in front of this hearing of COVID terrible obviously is terrible. Do I understand why you did it? From a legal perspective? Kind of? I read half an article on this because I'm not obsessed with I do think there is like I'm just kidding, like it was just sort of an asymmetric story where Republicans are obsessed with this and Democrats are like, I want to think of anything but the pandemic. It was the worst couple of years of my life. None of us want to go back, agrees, you know, yeah, but yeah, it is just I don't know. Bobby Kennedy, man, that's just in charge.
Speaker 1: All right. It's primary day in Michigan, and we got some midterm news to talk about, including big announcement of our our own today. Votes Have America is launching what we're calling the Crooked Dozen, twelve of the most vulnerable House Republicans who we can put out of a job this November. But we need your help, dear listener. If you go to votesave America dot com right now and sign up, you will get practical, concrete steps that you can take to help flip these seats and lots of others up and down the ballot. You're gonna get information on where to donate, where to volunteer, how to make sure your friends and family are getting the best information about the races, Lots more information. It literally takes two seconds to sign up at votes Save America dot com and if you're already signed up, grab a couple friends have them sign up too. We're trying to get as many people as possible. We did this back with the Crooked Seven back in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 3: Work pretty damn well.
Speaker 1: Then, yeah, I think we got them, got almost all of them. And yeah, so we're trying to raise money for the Democratic candidates who are going to take these folks on, and also just get some volunteers going as an added incentive. We do have some news about one of the Crooked Dozen, Max Miller, the Republican representing Ohio seventh District south of Cleveland. You may already be following this incredibly disturbing story. In twenty twenty four, Miller and his wife, Emily Moreno, who's the daughter of Republican Senator Bernie Moreno, got divorced and the custody battle for their two year old daughter ended up in court. As part of that court fight, Emily Moreno said that Miller repeatedly abused her, scalding her with hot water, holding a gun to her head, and breaking their daughter's collarbone. The allegations which miller denies started getting more attention over the last week or so when Senator Moreno refused to comment or call for his ex son in law to resign and to quit his campaign. Miller then delivered a twenty minute live stream statement on Sunday morning where he did not drop out, but accused Emily Moreno of being a stalker and saying things like this, if.
Speaker 9: I had assaulted her, would she had offered to cook meat dinner six days later? Would she have invited me to spend an afternoon at the playground with her and our Would she have written that we were in a friendlier place. No, she wouldn't have Ladies and gentlemen. The boiling water story the media has run with. That story is about an incident in June of twenty twenty four while we were still married. And here's the truth, and this is the absolute truth. It was horseplay in our kitchen. These accusations were true, I would be in jail.
Speaker 3: That is just.
Speaker 1: He also posted and then deleted a dropbox folder of audio he'd recorded of her, some of which contradicted his own claims, and then he took it down. After that disgusting display, Bernie Moreno the Senator. His former father in law finally spoke out, posted a long statement that's said, among other things, that the two years since the divorce have been pure hell, that he holds his breath every time Miller has custody of his granddaughter, and that quote. If there are any basic standards of character required to hold delected office, Max Miller fails them, he should not serve in the House of Representatives. Miller then immediately called him a liar. So I assume there's been a groundswell of Republicans now calling for Miller's step aside. Right, Trump was in the Oval office, was asked about that and said, well, he's a good person, good person. Terrible situation, you know. I guess the family will have to decide. The family will have to decide. What do you guys make of the whole situation?
Speaker 3: I mean, Max Miller should be in prison, not Congress period. He is lying, abusive scum. This is not the only incidance of him being accused of abuse. He was accused of beating his ex girlfriend, Stephanie Grisham, who worked in the Trump White House. She said he threw her up against a wall and slapped her. Political reported that Miller pushed a female high school classmate down a flight of stairs because she refused his sexual advances. There's another alleged incent of Miller abusing a woman in college. We don't really know the details there, but it's been mentioned in court transcripts. He had a bunch of violent fights in incidents in high school or in his early twenties. So this guy is clearly has a pattern of alleged abuse, and I think that should be enough for him to be thrown out of Congress, but Republicans have not. Most Republicans either just duck the question, or you know, want to preserve their majority. Now, like there's a lot of focus has been put on Bernie Moreno and his response. He's an Ohio senator, his daughter is the one in making these allegations. I think my gut reaction when I read his when he wouldn't respond, was like that he had failed his basic job as a father and was a coward, and to really condemn him more than others. The more I thought about it, the more I was like, I don't know, you don't know what's happening inside a family. You don't know what his conversations with his daughter are like, you don't know the fear that he could have about his granddaughter who had joined custody. So I don't know, I feel like I need to violet back of life Emily's mother. Yeah, it's complicated and like she was really upset and so I think he didn't mean but like whatever, he got it done. But like Jim Jordan was on Congressman, Jim Jordan was on TV and was asked about this, I think was CNN or maybe's MS now and just absolutely will not draw moral line in the sand for this man who's clearly a fucking scumbag.
Speaker 8: Well, Jim Jordan is sort of a history of this, refusing to do that. Yeah, the like the statement from Bernie Marino makes clear that he felt like he was trying to avoid speaking out about it on his daughter's behalf. Trump is refusing to condemn him, which is leading to no one else being willing to call on him to resign. If he doesn't step back by Wednesday, I believe he'll be on the ballots. So he's hanging on now. If Max Miller seems to have this history, obviously there are these allegations in this marriage. There's allegations in previous relationships, allegations of other violence in the past, whatever bit has been said publicly, That means that there are that like Stebanie Grishams was close to Donald Trump. That means that there are people that like the Senators are aware of this, Other members of the House are aware of this, The White House is aware of this, that this guy is fucking violent piece of shit, and they have all just been what silent about it, ignoring about it, keeping their heads down.
Speaker 3: Trump called him a good person. He's basically a character. Wistiness should say too.
Speaker 1: There what broke this whole thing open was Abbey vasilis if mother Jones Porty there like she broke the story in July eighteenth. She just went through all the court documents that were out there and all the filings and it is I mean, it's a tough read. But like a child protection specialist reviewed the incident characterized the bruising near the fracture as resembling a handprint. Now, Miller's story is that the daughter it was a seat belt that like the car stopped short or whatever. The Emily Mareno doesn't believe this, of course, and then the child protection specialists said as a handprint. And apparently the daughter said daddy's house is scary to her mother. And also he contradicted himself in the court filings because first he said he didn't pour hot water on her neck, and then he said in the next sentence, well, the water incident, I never thought that that hurt you.
Speaker 3: There's no horse play with boiling water.
Speaker 1: No, which is basically admitting that it was that he actually did it. So he's a liar. He's had a violent passed. He obviously should not be believed. And it is crazy that Republicans are not immediately calling for this guy to drop out of congres, drop out of the race, let alone Congress.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's disgusting every I mean, like, doing that to a two year old makes you want to drive over to his house with a baseball ad. And it's solveid that way. I mean that that's the part that's like, the whole story is absolutely sickening. This is an evil person. I hope they indict him and lock him up, and.
Speaker 1: I hope every single Republican is forced to have to answer the questions about this, and like and the stammers into the fucking camera because you know, none of them can cross Trump because Trump didn't tell him to drop out.
Speaker 3: And it's not just him. I mean there's a guy named Corey Mills who's another Republican from Florida who was accused of some sort of physical abuse of a woman. He was also accused of like sex stortion and the threatening to release nude images of her, and Republicans again, they just pretend this is not happening. I mean, he's under investigation by the House Ethics Committee for like some sorts of violations, but no one's calling for his expulsion.
Speaker 1: And it's like with Miller two, he's like, well, I'm not going to drop out. For people who want to try this in the court of public opinion, it's like no, no, it's not being tried in the court of public opinion. We have actual court court documents. That's where it is, like, we have court, we have testimony. This is not just hearsay that people are talking about. There's actual documents about this fucking asshole.
Speaker 3: Ponte America is brought to you by ag One. Summer means enjoying yourself and taking it easy. Maybe some of your wellness goals took a back seat in the process.
Speaker 10: But that's okay. Now that you're getting back on track, make ag.
Speaker 3: One the non negotiable part of your routine. One scoop eight ounces the cold water every morning before the chaos starts. Ag one helps to maintain energy and fortify immune health. It's clinically shown to support gut health and fill in common nutrient gaps. AG one is a daily health drink with the multivitamin pre and probiotics, superfoods, and antioxidants. Even though summer is your license to chill, ag one helps sure thing consistent, high quality nutritional support every single day, no matter where you start your morning. The next Gen formula delivers seventy five plus ingredients clinically shown.
Speaker 10: To improve key nutrient levels within three months.
Speaker 13: Now.
Speaker 3: I use ag one every day, use it today. In fact, I often make it smoothie in the morning and that's my breakfast. But even when I don't, you just mix it in water. Still tastes good, and I don't know. I highly recommend it.
Speaker 10: I like it.
Speaker 3: It's a great way to get a bunch of greens in your body early without you having to go to the supermarket every other day to buy spinach or whatever. Visit drinkag one dot com slash Crooked and get a free AG one flavor sampler and a free bottle of Vitamin D three plus K two and your welcome kit with your first AG one subscription. That's drinkag one dot com slash Crooked. Poseeve America is brought to you by sleep Me. When was the last time you went to bed before midnight without scrolling?
Speaker 1: Doom? Scrolling the latest news cycle keeps your brain buzzing, and worse, it raises your core body temperature. Just one one more thing that's bad about it. A body that's too warm can't fall into a deep, restorative sleep. You're not just mentally exhausted, your body never actually recovered from the day. The fix is simple, lower your bed temperature. Entered chili Pad two point oh, the water based mattress topper that actively controls your bed temperature from fifty five to one hundred and fifteen degrees all night long. No new mattress, no renovation. It fits over what you already have. Chili Pad two point oh actively cools or warms your bed using water, and water is key here. Chili Pad uses actively chilled water to cool the bed actually pulling heat away from your body. It's like the difference between standing in front of a fan and jumping into a cold pool. Love chilipad. It really works, and it's so nice to have a bed that is like cool and doesn't heat up in the middle of the night, especially if, like you know, you're you're fighting with your partner over the temperature in the room and they want it a little warmer. You have the chili pad on and you can make your side of the bed pretty cool. It's fantastic. Does it sleep dot me slash crooked to get up to two hundred and fifty five dollars off your chili pad two point zero with code crooked. That's s l E E P dot M E slash crooked, free shipping, free returns, and a thirty night trial so you can test it out, dream big, and wake up better. The headlines will still be there in the morning. You might as well wake up ready for them.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: So, as you're listening to this, it's election day in Michigan where Abdul lsa Ed and Hailey Stevens are fighting it out for the Senate nomination. Any thoughts from you guys on on Haley and Abdul's closing messages or anything else from the last few days of campaigning. You know, we're got a little.
Speaker 8: Heated, you did get a little heated this race. This one number that jumped out at me. She just sort of has a preview of coming attractions because we don't know what's going to happen tomorrow. But that, in I think is the Emerson pole that under fifty Abdul is leading Haley Stephens sixty seven to twenty five. Over sixty Stevens is leading fifty three to thirty nine, and like that is like remarkable, That is a crazy gap. And it just like whatever happens in this race, whether or not Hailey Stevens and you know whatever, thirty to sixty million, whatever number from APAC in as plus concerns that Abdul will lose to micro whatever it is, if whatever eking out of victory that is possible tomorrow, Like this tells you the direction that the party is going. And if people want an alternative to left candidates, or if they think the left candidates don't represent their point of view, like I think we've seen over and over again that unless there is a center left that can or center that can offer something more exciting, persuasive, optimistic, something for people to like grab onto. I think though, like the establishment will keep being surprised by when given the choice between our candidate or else, Like people keep choosing or else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so much is a conversation about this race isocus on the meta stakes and what it means for the party and also the the exchanging of barbes, you know, the attacks and the money. Sure, a lot of trading a pack and stuff. But I was I was reading this New Yorker interview Abdul did over the weekend during my own little brush with the healthcare industry in this country and how fun it can be, and I was reminded why I'm so excited about his candidacy, Like he is a fundamentally optimistic, hopeful guy who brings real expertise as a doctor and a health professional to the job level. No, he was like an incredibly talented speaker. He's a good human being, more lucky enough to know him, and I'm just it just reminded me to be excited about him and the fact that he's could potentially be a US senator. And you know, there was this graph in the story that really just jumped out of me that I wanted to read about, because he talks about how his story and his parents' story is only possible in America. This sort of like fundamentally patriot optimistic story, and then he couches like why he is hopeful about fixing the broken US healthcare system in his optimism about America as well, he says, the thing about America is that we don't do things like other people. We do them better. I love that about our country, and that's obviously very like Obama oaight coded and part of why I like it, And I think there's a risk of just not cut in pasting. But like you know, that rhetoric from that era, it was a different time. The world is. The electorate now is in a darker place. Be come, inequality is worse, Younger people feel even more hopeless about the system, about the economy, about their prospects in life. So you don't want to just kind of like repeat, you know, the Obama era optimism. But I do think, because it could sound naive, but I do think that what Abdula is getting at is talking about problems and systemic challenges, but then giving people some hope that he actually can fix it, or that we have the capacity to fix them as a nation. And I think that has been missing in a lot of the political debate that is either just about or about how, you know, cooked we are because of capitalism.
Speaker 1: Yet the national discourse has sort of lumped in all the left candidates together, is like, you know, they're all socialists and they all believe the same thing, and it's all you know that none of them to be able to win. And you know, for some have pretty extreme positions, and we've talked about them before, and you know, I've been even critical of some of you know, the way Abdul has had said some things too over the in this race. But I thought that was the I thought this was the best interview that he has given. And if you are open minded and you're still unsure about a duel, like I would absolutely read this with David Remnick and in the New Yorker, I thought it was really really great. It's gonna look if Abdul wins the primary, if the polls are correct, it is going to be a difficult general election. And you know, the gold standard poll in Michigan came out over the weekend and has him down a few to Mike Rogers and Hailey Stevens performed better that Pole. I don't think that means he can't win by any means, but I think that what he's going to have to do to be victorious is exactly what he did I think in that interview and talk like he did in that interview, and because it's shows a love of country, it's like a liberal patriotism. He talks about how he's a capitalist, he talks about he's criticized Obama in the past. As we know, he was very complimentary and he seems extremely thoughtful, like he just didn't get into this race because he wanted to like throw out slogans and all this kind of stuff, Like it seems like he has fought all this stuff through, especially healthcare.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's just a really really smart guy who is like hands on experience tackling these problems and will be really good at the job. And it's exciting to think about not just how these people campaign, but what they'd be like in the job. And I think post primary, assuming of dual wins, we don't know, but a lot of the Pole suggests he will. He will have to do a lot of work to kind of get back Hailey Stephen supporters. I think he's done a really good job in recent weeks of kind of tamping down supporters across the line who like make fun of him Stevens in ways that are just sexist or inappropriate or just mean. There's gonna have to be more of that, you know, Like after Burn, when it looked like Bernie was winning in twenty twenty, a lot of his supporters were telling other people to bend the knee and shit like that, and it's just like such a toxic, terrible way to consolidate an electorate, and then it'll be incumbent on everyone, no matter how brus their feelings are. To just remember that this is about, you know, winning the Senate seat and denying Mike Rodgers this election and making it a referendum on Trump, like all vote for Rogers to vote for Trump, and Rogers is trying to kind of avoid all hard questions like I don't know, you guys se the semaphore thing. Yeah, he won't talk about the weaponization fund, he won't comment on Iran.
Speaker 1: How would you so? Nicholas Wood did this interview with him, how would he vote? On the multiple Senate approve measures to condemn President Donald Trump's tariffs. I don't know. Yeah, where does he stand on Trump's anti weepsation fund quote, I'm not talking about any of that stuff. I don't care. I mean I care. As for the Iround war, he said he'd heard quote hardly anything from constituents on the trail about it. This guy has been living in Florida, Florida. Yeah, so he retired bout the house in Florida, tried to run in twenty twenty four, lost to Slotkin, and now he's he's trying to vy himself again. So like, yes, he definitely should tie him the Trump, and with good reason. But like Mike Rogers just is a character on his own, is just looking to be defined right out of the gate. And I think that like if I that's like number one on Abdul's list, or if Haley Winst, it's.
Speaker 3: Part of the corruption story of tru like Trump, like this, a guy who was in government, lost left and went made a bunch of money, you know, like helping out the industries he used to regulate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this whole idea that he is maybe more moderate or more old school of Republican establishment than some of these guys, Like I think that the corruption and the tie to Trump and just sort of the like out of touch he sort of vibes, he gives off from having been in Florida for a while and not really caring about all these issues is a real weakness for him. But it's got to be exploited.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it was like this is where sometimes I like, there's just like we're going to do politics. Maybe I'll do starts a little bit further behind than Haley Stevens would. Okay, do you believe in politics? Do you believe in the ability to persuade? Do you think a du will be a better center than Mike Rogers?
Speaker 6: I do.
Speaker 8: Do you think it's more important to have a democratic Senate than any criticism or concern you might have about a Duels being further left than you?
Speaker 5: I do.
Speaker 8: So maybe other people can be persuaded of that as well, as long as everybody kind of after this primary is over, figures out how to come together. Like there have been moments in this look there's the left is a big fractious group of people. There have been moments and a lot of these primaries where it's clear that some people who are part of these problems primaries care more about winning factional fights against Democrats than they do about actually beating Republicans. There have been bad moments in interviews where I think a Duel has reflected that aspect of the movement. But when he is at his best, when he is speaking about what governing can actually do, a kind of broad and optimistic vision for the country, I think, yes, that is somebody that has absolutely can kind of build support in Michigan, and especially with someone who's supposed to be like the toughest one to beat, Mike Rogers, Like, come on, like I think that. I think like everybody needs to like kind of figure out how to come together and then make that argument.
Speaker 1: Last thing before we get to my conversation with Francesca Hung, I promise you we do not enjoy talking about Ken Martin and the drama at the DNC. But unfortunately, the news keeps on coming. The latest is a story from The New York Times in which Paul Rivera, the personal friend to whom Martin assigned the fabled autopsy, claims that when Martin did finally release the report, he omitted a chapter that Rivera wrote titled what Happened in twenty twenty four? It seems like something you'd want in a report about what happened in twenty twenty four, just a minor detail. The chapter criticized Biden's decision to run for reelection as perhaps quote the single point of failure for twenty twenty four. It also criticized senior Democratic strategists for being too rich to understand the struggles of most Americans. Rivera gave The Times the full text of the allegedly missing chapter. Martin denies ever seeing or knowing about it at all, despite Rivera saying he handed him a binder, a three ring binder with the chapter in it. So this pits two incompetent people against each other who have also been well, at least in Ken Martin's case, deceptive in the past. So even if Ken Martin is telling the truth, this is part of the reason that you don't lie to people, because it is hard to believe you when you haven't been honest about everything in the past.
Speaker 8: I just want to read the first line in this supposedly sort of this secret and damning chapter. American politics is a study in inflection points. It sure is boy, it's sure a land of contradictions.
Speaker 3: I find.
Speaker 1: What'd you guys make of the whole thing?
Speaker 8: I am sure that to Ken Martin, this all feels very unfair from this original sin of putting this guy in charge of the autopsy, getting something back that was sort of incompetent and that would create a bunch of controversy, but not actually address our problems, deciding to not release it. Like I see how at each step it's one mistake and it leads to others and others and others tangled web and then and so there's that sort of that cascade of mistakes, and then there's this of the cascade of the money going out to places where they don't elect senators or House members because you promised to kind of invest all over the place, including in the territories. People having questions about your fundraising, and all of this sort of building on itself, and that now, even though there are parts of your program that you think makes sense and are good, it's unfair because there's no way for you to gain purchase.
Speaker 3: You can't the.
Speaker 8: Fundraising is anemic because people don't trust you. You need to have more money on the books otherwise people keep reporting how much more money the RNC has. This guy comes out with this stupid fucking chapter. Maybe you saw it, maybe you didn't, but it only proves that you were right that his work wasn't worthy of release in the first place. Even though people are mad at you, thinking it's some sort of conspiracy, that all may be frustrating, too fucking bad. We need the money we need DNC chair. People can trust you are not that. Whether it happens now or after the elections in November, it doesn't really matter. But the idea that this guy's going to be in charge of the Democratic National Committee as we head in to the presidential is ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the original sin was asking your buddy Paul Rivera to do this report because he's just not in any way credential to do. I think the last presidential campaign he worked on was in two thousand and four for Al Gore John Kerry, Oh sorry, John Carrey, yeah, Al go.
Speaker 1: I remember, uh yeah.
Speaker 3: And then Rivera worked for this New York State Senate leader who was convicted of federal fraud. And people who worked around Rivera in that era in New York State Senate said, first of all, it was a horrible period of politics for the Democratic parties, this corrupt, awful, you know, State Senate group. And then that Rivera personally was just sort of a weird behind the scenes guy who didn't they didn't know what he did. Ever, he was in no way the right person to do this report. So picking that guy was the original sin. And then there was as always the cover up was worse than the crime, and spiking the report and then lying about the report. And now Rivera has said is now Rivera says Ken is lying about the release of this chapter. I don't trust either messenger here. I'm inclined. I'm inclined to believe that if this guy wrote this chapter, he would have given it to Ken Martin personally, because why would you lie about this. I don't think there was some strategic brilliance in this chapter, right, or anything really worth covering up. But I think what this does is once again raise questions about whether Ken Martin is an honest person, and I don't think he is. And I think if you are stepping on rakes all the time, and if you are lying all the time, you should not be leading the Democratic Party. On top of all, President the fundraising failures. So yeah, it's just this is a real fun weekend for anyone who wants to close the book on the twenty twenty four election, when we also have Hunter Biden saying his dad's debate performance was bad because he had cancer, but also still lashing out at anyone who said that that bad debate performance meant that he should have dropped out of the race. One would think that if the cancer was so bad and problematic that it would lead you to not be able to debate, it would mean you can't be president right four years.
Speaker 1: And it didn't. Just it's not just the type of cancer that manifests on stage internationally.
Speaker 3: It's crazy. It wasn't a stroke.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his wife thought it was.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: There was a scoop today from notice that Martin told DNC members on a member's only call that he's convening a special finance committee to help with fundraising. So I don't know who's in that committee, but hopefully it works. If you're a state party.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you're a state party and you are hanging on to Ken Martin because you get a check every month, it's some point you have to realize that that check is going to stop coming when there's no money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like two things can be true. It could be great that Ken Martin sent you a check in that you've been able to hire more staffers, like that is important to invest in state parties. But also like you do need the money to do that, right, Like that's you have to fire that to raise the money you can. There is no money right exactly, which seems like a problem. Did you guys see that? You know, there's a lot of rapid response coming out of the DNC to try to defend their work they're doing, because you know, look at a lot of people. There's a fantastic people at the d n C working really hard. This cannot be easy for them. But one staffer put out a video where he's petting his cat and telling people that everything's everything's good at the DNC. There's some background music. It was deleted.
Speaker 8: It was deleted before I had a chance to see it. To be honest, I never I never actually got I saw the still of it, but I never actually got to see the video itself.
Speaker 3: Sadly for me, undelete the cat video. I liked it, I got attention.
Speaker 8: Yeah great, Yeah, no bad press, No bad press. It was like stroking like it looks.
Speaker 1: Like it wasn't authorized.
Speaker 3: It was pretty sure it was unauthorized. It did have a, I think, an unintentional doctor evil kind of connotation.
Speaker 8: So when I was a kid, Inspector Gadget the opening credits. Oh yeah, there's a moment where you never see doctor Claud's always petting a cat with one hand, and then there's a moment at which he runs up to the chair in front of a fireplace, spins it around and there's the arm, but it's attached to a spring, and then.
Speaker 3: The chair blows up.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and I thought as a kid that the villain was a chair with a spring attached to it, and that he was trying to kill Inspector Gadget, a literal kid. And I, yes, a lot of these things could have been diagnosed earlier, I think.
Speaker 3: But I thought The never Ending Story was named that because the credits were so long. What it's not it's funny that petting a cat is evil coded and petting a puppy is like the way you soften your image. Yeah, Mike Vrabel at press conferences being like what infidelity?
Speaker 1: Yeahs my puppy, that's right anyway, more cats from the DNC. All right, when we come back, Wisconsin gubernatorial candidate Francesca Home.
Speaker 11: Hey, Dan Taburski Here, I'm a podcast host, a journalist, and now with my newest project, the author of my own manifesto. Well, it's a manifesto about manifestos, my search for inspiration and a world that feels more infuriating, more out of its freaking mind with each passing hour. Manifestos are a call to action, an artful scream. They capture our anger and they try to do something with it. This is my attempt to take the manifesto back from mass shooters and nihilists, then return it to its rightful place with the warriors, the visionaries, the regular folks with just the right amount of crazy. I compare notes with radicals, secessionists, internet trolls out for a laugh and puncturing or screaming their guts out, all trying to turn their anger into the world they want to see. Listen to Manifesto wherever you get your podcasts. Audible subscribers can binge all episodes of Manifesto early and ad free right now. Join Audible in the Audible app or by subscribing on Apple podcasts.
Speaker 1: Franchiska hung Welcome to Platfeve America.
Speaker 6: Happy to be here, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: I know this has to be a busy week for you, so thanks for doing this. And just to start off, you know, I think it is incredibly important for Wisconsin to have a democratic governor because we can't have an election denier like Tom Tiffany in a position to certify or not certify the twenty twenty eight elections. But since Republicans will spend an ungodly amount of money to defeat you, if you're the nominee to try to defeat you, I just want to make sure you have the best possible answers to what's coming. So I want to start with your twenty twenty posts supporting defunding the police quote as a first step towards abolishing the police, which in a separate post you said quote exists to uphold white supremacy. Now, I know you've said you're not running to defund the police, it's not something you can do as governor, and that people's views can evolve. I'm wondering how your views on policing have evolved since twenty twenty.
Speaker 13: My views have only become stronger in that I'm serious about public safety and I will not abolish the police.
Speaker 6: My views are that people.
Speaker 13: Are struggling right now and need PASIC needs met, and I want to focus on stopping violent crime and giving law enforcement the resources and the training that they need, but ensure that we are also holding accountable law enforcement that does not follow the law.
Speaker 1: Do you still believe that police exists to uphold white supremacy? No, When did that change for you? And what has change in your thinking since you posted that in twenty twenty.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 13: I think that when you talk to people who are most justice impacted, a mother who lost a child to police violence, people who have contended with injustices and in historically marginalized communities. But justice also looks like making sure that we are implementing solutions and helping to change the material conditions of people's lives. So, as a legislator, over the last six years, I've had more conversations with people who are more directly connected to the problems and have learned that it is most important for a public servant like myself to make sure we're looking at sensible, practical solutions that will help keep communities safe.
Speaker 1: You said during this campaign back in May that there has to be accountability for people who commit crimes, and if you're a governor and people commit crimes that quote, incarceration and law enforcement are the systems in place right now. You also said your long term vision is a world without prisons. How does that work?
Speaker 13: What I know is attainable and the policies that actually meet the urgency of the moment and understanding the realities of it means that we have to ensure that we're funding our local government, that we're bringing justice to victims, and what may have been more aspirational is not primary. What we need to do is make sure that all people all across Wisconsin have access to great public schools, out of school programs, mental health resources, and that we hold law enforcement accountable but also provide them with the training that they need to help prevent crime and stop crime.
Speaker 1: One place this could come up, I think in the general election, and of course if you become governor, commutations are yours alone, no legislature, no courts. Would you commute sentences for people convicted of murder?
Speaker 13: You know the last governor before Tony Evers to serve commutations was Republican Tommy Thompson, and I believe that commutations moving forward, the system has to be designed by the folks who are also most impacted right now, and so at this time, I would not extend a commutation to somebody who has murdered somebody else.
Speaker 1: If you're governor, you'll have something of a high class problem, and that one of the first things you'll have to figure out is what to do with a two point five billion dollar surplus projected. Governor Evers and Republican leaders in the legislature reached a deal in May that would have given people three hundred dollars rebate checks, property tax relief, special education reimbursement, and no tax on tips. In overtime past the Assembly, you voted no, and then it died in the Senate. Eighty percent of voters, including eighty two percent of Democrats, that it should have passed, according to the Marquette poll. Why do you think the voters were wrong?
Speaker 13: We have to make sure that the people who are struggling the most have durable solutions, and what that bill would have done is not given a rebate to those who are on fixed incomes, to folks who are making under fifty thousand dollars aer hour. That's over a million Wisconsin ights. Those are people who absolutely deserve relief, and we were seeing these six hundred and three hundred dollars rebates go to millionaires and billionaires. And I'm focused on making sure that everyday working class people are not only able to get real relief through cutting property taxes, which we can do when we fund our schools, but also that folks are able to have access to good jobs, fair affordable childcare, and free paid leave for all. And so for us, it's irresponsible if we don't think about some of the folks who need the funding the most.
Speaker 1: Tom Tiffany said he wants to return the entire time two point five billion dollars surplus to taxpayers. What specifically do you want to do with it with taxpayers, get any refunds or like, what's your priority list if you're fortunate enough to be governor and have a democratic legislature.
Speaker 13: I want to cut property taxes, which we can do by almost forty four percent when we add in a millionaire and billionaire tax. I want to make sure that we're investing in free childcare for folks across our state while also providing bridge payments so that our childcare centers can stay open. We need to invest in public education, but also have funds available to attack and to make sure that we are extending healthcare. I mean, Americans and wisconsinights are risking losing their healthcare because of a bill that Tom Tiffany voted for.
Speaker 6: So healthcare, education.
Speaker 13: And ensuring that we're lowering taxes is what I'll be focusing on with that surplus.
Speaker 1: You're the only Democrat backing a one year moratorium on data centers. You argue that the the tax exemptions will cost the state more than two billion dollars. Tom Tevany says he wouldn't back a moratorium, but that he'd also end those subsidies and that people shouldn't have to absorb the higher utility rates. So why is the moratorium the better policy? And what's that contrast going to be like between the two of you if you're the nominee.
Speaker 13: The moratorium is what hundreds and thousands of voters across this state, regardless of political ideology, have been demanding because the scale and speed in which these data centers continued to grow, waiting for legislation in order for them to be able to be held accountable or wouldn't have tax exemptions. The current data centers that exist in our state right now receive hundreds and thousands of dollars in tax exemptions and do not have to pay a sales and use tax. The people of Wisconsin deserve to have community say in community control. That means ensuring that no utility costs go up, that we have regulations in place to hold polluters accountable, and that we aren't fox conned again giving away billion of dollars in subsidies while creating very few new jobs and destroying a community in what they're able to do with their own property taxes and being able to grow their community. We should be able to have a say in making sure that big tech knows we're not here to sell out our natural resources and we're not selling out our state to big tech.
Speaker 1: Do you see the moratory and being lifted after a year, or like, what under what conditions would you lift it?
Speaker 6: The big part is.
Speaker 13: The regulations to make sure that we're holding those polluters accountable, that we aren't raising rates for utilities, and that the Public Service Commission and people who are approving these different projects are actually we hold the folks who are going to be responsible and thinking about what the public good is instead of people who may be taking money from the utility companies appointed to those positions. I think it's important that we establish local control, but that there are statewide guidelines in having no tax exemptions and ensuring that data centers actually have to pay their own way and up front if they are going to build in Wisconsin.
Speaker 1: The last primary debate was pretty friendly with you and your primary opponents, and for people who are going to vote soon and they're wondering if they're trying to decide between you and David Crowley, who's your leading opponent in the primary. Right now, what's one place where the two of you disagree.
Speaker 13: We disagree on the moratorium on data centers. We disagree on ending the vulture program. I believe that public dollars should stay in public schools. We disagree on how much to tax millionaires and billionaires to ensure that we have enough revenue to invest in the things that wisconsinights care about, like childcare, like paid leave, like public schools. And we disagree in how much we should be spending on removing or how much of the tax exemptions and corporate loopholes that we should be eliminating. Fortunately, Crowley has not been clear on which ones, which policies.
Speaker 6: That he supports.
Speaker 1: So I hear you on the vouture program, like taking money away from public educations, happens all across the country. You know there is a program now, there are about thirty thousand kids in Milwaukee who are in that program. Their families are income capped. What does winding the program down mean for them? And what happens to those kids? What year does it end?
Speaker 13: Right now, it's as important to establish accountability and transparency and educating folks about where.
Speaker 6: Their property taxes go.
Speaker 13: We have a bill that's ready that would include a property tax report how much of those tax dollars are actually going to private schools?
Speaker 6: With the Milwaukee Schools vulture.
Speaker 13: Program, that would be the last vulture program that we would phase out. And I believe it's important for folks to know that families actually can receive a tax credit for private school tuition. But right now, administration of that vulture program is costing our state over one point two billion dollars, and so sun setting that program for Milwaukee for us, we're looking at at least the next next second or third session, so that would be around twenty thirty. But again, we want to make sure MPs is a partner with us and that the families who are in the program that the education is not disrupted, and even when we put the caps on it, that doesn't mean that any of the students who are enrolled in vouchers now would have learning disruptions.
Speaker 1: So you're running as a Democratic socialist. A couple people have pointed that out. A few weeks ago, Marquette asked Wisconsin voters how they felt about that label. Fifty four percent of Democrats have a favorable view, especially younger ones, but when it comes to independence, only thirteen percent have a favorable view. Fifty two percent have an unfavorable view of democratic socialists. What is your plan for those voters who you'll obviously need to win. Do you want to persuade them to change their mind about democratic socialism or do you want to persuade them that the label doesn't matter.
Speaker 13: I want to tell them what other wisconsinight's have told me, that it is about the solutions and not just the labels, and the solutions that we are presenting that actually meet the moment to solve the problem that the system is rigged against working class people, and I will always put working class people first. That fighting to fully fund our public schools, have free childcare, affordable housing, and fair cheaper healthcare looks like having someone who also understands the struggle. Right now, I'm the only wage worker, only single mom. I'm a renter, and I've worked in the legislature for the last six years. But I'm a public servants first, and I learned that from opening a business and running a restaurant as well as being a wage worker right now, and so I think this is a lot about listening to voters and letting them know more about our solutions and ensuring them that I'm not here to expand a brand. I'm here to make sure that Wisconsinights get what they deserve.
Speaker 1: What is the best case for your candidacy that has nothing to do with any of what we just discussed. What else would you what other pitch would you like to make.
Speaker 13: Since we've launched our campaign, we've learned that wisconsinight's all across our state, regardless of generation, race, faith, ethnicity, are tired, and they're stressed, and they're frustrated and when we talk about building a movement and transformative change, that we can have a state that invests in our communities, that raises wages and ensures that we're caring and protecting one another. We have now grown our movement to over seven thousand people who have volunteered for our campaign, hit over one hundred and ten thousand doors. That this is a multi generational coalition and what's most excited is the support that's coming from younger voters, first time voters, or people who have not voted in elections for the last six seven years. I think people deserve to have a candidate that they believe in and that they know is not only just fighting for them, but fighting alongside them.
Speaker 1: From Jessica Hank, thank you so much for joining Potzave America and good luck in this last week.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much, Take care, Take care.
Speaker 1: That's our show for today. Thanks to Francesca Hung for coming on. We'll be back with a new episode on Friday. Positive America is a Crooked Media production. Our show is produced by Austin Fisher, Saul Ruben, McKenna Roberts, and Ferris Safari, with Ree Cherlin, Elijah Cone and Adrian Hill. Our team includes Matt de Grote, Ben Hefcote, Jordan Cantor, Charlotte Landis, Carol pel Avive, David Toles, Mia Kelman, Ryan Young and Naomi Single. Our staff is probably unionized with the Writers Guild of America East