Speaker 1: Murders and human remains are discovered in many ways, bodies being found in forested areas and graves being dug up in urban backyards. But sometimes these gruesome discoveries can come in very unexpected ways, like in today's case when someone was living with mummified remains that answered a fifteen year missing person's case.
Speaker 2: Warning the following podcasts and material intended for a mature audience, listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 1: Hey, how's it going. My name's Ben.
Speaker 3: And I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicket and Grim.
Speaker 1: A true crime podcast. And I have like a tickle in my throat today, So I'm sorry if I'm coughing lots. Do have water?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're not getting sick, are you?
Speaker 1: No? I don't think so. It's just like I can't like there's an itch, a tickle, yeah, and I can't get it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I have that a little bit right now too. It is probably just from our dinner because it's a bit smoky in here. Maybe I think maybe it's possible it's really smoky sometimes in this tiny home.
Speaker 1: That's true. There's not a lot of well not a whole lot of space. For air to flow, you know exactly, but also if you open a window, it clears out real quick, it does. Hopefully you guys are doing good. We get a couple of topics you want to touch on here right out of the gate. Well one primarily if I can get this tickle out of my throat. Oh no, But we are talking about Casey Anthony. If you haven't heard, there's a new docum entry coming out about her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm very I don't want to say excited, but what's a word intrigued? Intrigued? Interested?
Speaker 1: Okay, watching this, Well, we want to give you guys a bit of heads up because if you're not aware, as far as we can tell, this documentary does not follow the whole Son of Sam law, which means Casey has the potential to be earning money and revenue from this documentary, which I don't love. No, and she was in a court of law found guilty for her crimes, which we did a whole episode on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're gonna we're going to go and listen to that episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're going to refresh ourselves on these details. And we want to ask you guys. I mean, you're completely allowed to do whatever you want. Don't get us wrong here, but we want to say we suggest you refrain from listening or watching this documentary it's coming out on casey because what we're planning on doing is because that she might be gaining monetary value from this and she's apparently speaks her truth whatever that means. Don't get me wrong. Everyone deserves their truth. Yeah, however, she found guilty in a court of long you.
Speaker 3: Think that it would have already come out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So whatever she has to say, we're gonna go ahead and we're gonna watch it, and we're gonna deliver you, guys, whether it's a worthwhile watch, whether it's worth ensuring that she does gain monetary value from this documentary, because if she's just spewing absolute bullshit saying she was the victim when she murdered her family, I don't think she should be gaining from that, you know what I mean. Yeah, So we're gonna go ahead and watch it. We'll tell you if she is spewing bullshit or if she has something worthwhile to actually say.
Speaker 3: I mean, gosh, if they're putting out a whole show episode series, I don't know on this. You think that she's going to be dropping a bomb, you would think so. But then also, she had her time to be dropping these bombs.
Speaker 1: Exactly. If she dropped a bomb, you'd think it would have occurred in the courtroom. There's two scenarios that I can think of. She's a dropping something that was thrown out in court and that's why she's disputing it, being like, you know, this is a very big piece of this puzzle that they're not listening to. Or two, it's absolute bullshit.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's one or the other, no in between.
Speaker 1: And I do think that it's It could very well be that, like true crime has become a very big genre.
Speaker 3: Last couple of years, Yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: So, I do think it could just be that a production studio or a company is just trying to cash in on offered. Yeah, say here, let's do this. We're going to make big bucks together. So I think it could be potentially a corrupt studio behind her. I don't know. I don't even know the studio that make that's making it, so I can't say that.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, there's probably a lot of money to be had from this, exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I have a feeling that could very well be the fact when.
Speaker 3: I really don't love the fact that she could be making money from this, Like that feels just dirty, doesn't it. Yeah, And I.
Speaker 1: Think that's why we should watch it, because we can tell you, guys, like we have a bit of reach, right, Yeah, So if you guys don't watch it, we can watch it, and it's like sense pennies going to her from just us watching it and we can tell you definitely don't watch it, and then we're preventing her from gaining more.
Speaker 3: Money, and we will be honest for sure.
Speaker 1: Oh definitely sure. So just I mean, of course, do whatever you want if you want to watch it, watch it, but we're just suggesting listen to what we're we're gonna say about it from watching it first, and then you can make your judgment call from there, if that's fair. Yeah, okay, yeah, that aside, if that, If that all makes sense? Anyways, are our intent for that? You ready to move on to patrons?
Speaker 3: I'm totally ready.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we have a few patrons join us this week. Do I have a hair in my mouth?
Speaker 3: Wow? Dog, hare you have a lot going on over there today, I do. Really? Are you going to be good?
Speaker 1: I think so? If I. If I don't make it, please just carry on without me, Okay, just take the laptop and the notes and keep going with.
Speaker 3: The case and I'll just read us through perfect.
Speaker 1: So as for patrons, we have Christina o Janima who's joined up, Amy Evanka, and Nicole White. They all joined us Patreon, so thank you to them, big shout out. And if you want to join us as well, links down below, you know what to do. But if not, it's cool that you're here too. We appreciate that.
Speaker 3: We appreciate it. Just all all of it, all the.
Speaker 1: Above, all the above. Yeah, exactly what Nicole says. Always listen to Nicole. She's always right.
Speaker 3: I am always right. You learned that, didn't you.
Speaker 1: I learned to tell you you're always right.
Speaker 3: Because, to be honest, I'm like, no, it's probably a year, probably more right than me. I shouldn't be saying that. Oh God, I'll take that back eventually, but you're bad.
Speaker 1: Was recorded I know out there forever now.
Speaker 3: You're probably more right more often than me. Probably I need to I need to listen to you more.
Speaker 1: Wow. Wow, I am so glad that this thing is recording right now.
Speaker 3: We'll edit this out I'm just kidding.
Speaker 1: Nope, I'm the one who edits and I'm leaving that in there. I can tell you that right now. Anyways, moving on, let's get on with today's story, shall we.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm very interested for this one because you gave me a tidbit. Usually I'm in the dark. I'm fully usually in the dark, but this time you gave me freaking one liner on this and it got my attention.
Speaker 1: It's it's a gooder. It's a little bit different of a story. And that one little tidbit of information I'm not going to tell you guys out there right now because you're about to hear the story. Yeah, but as soon as I say that tidbit of information will let you know that's what I had told Nicoled all the time.
Speaker 3: We'll chat about it for sure.
Speaker 1: Well, let's do this. Our story starts with a man named Bruce Andrew Roberts. Now. Bruce was born in September of nineteen fifty six to Athel and Joyce Roberts in a small town called This is a hard one to say. Bear with me, Kuna bar a bar in. I think I said that right.
Speaker 3: That actually sounded pretty legit.
Speaker 1: Kuna bar Ra Barren. Yeah that's all right, Wow, good work. It's in Australia, Okay, Yeah, so Kunabar Barren in Australia. When I was researching us and I was reading it for the first time, it was like, because Australia was thinking like the beach boys kind of thing, right, and I was like, Kunabar bar b bar Bar. So that's kind of where my mind was going. Every time I was reading that, I'm like, it's not Barbara and it's Kunabara Barn.
Speaker 3: So there we go. Every time you're come across that name, you're like in full song.
Speaker 1: So yeah, born in small town in nineteen fifty six, in Kunabara Barn in Australia.
Speaker 3: Now you're just gonna like love saying that.
Speaker 1: That is a fun word to say. Yeah. So Bruce was a happy little boy who had curly hair, and like many little boys, Bruce developed a passion for the the cool things they saw in the grown up world. Okay, in Bruce's case, it was motorbikes and guns.
Speaker 3: Wow. Yeah, they're not cheap, cheap.
Speaker 1: Things, definitely not. However, Bruce was lucky enough to have a fairly wealthy family with money on their side. Okay, so cheap things was not necessarily not that they were frivolous with their money by any means, but it was like, you know what, they had the money to spend, you know what I mean. Yep, And this money gave Bruce a rather nice childhood. For example, I mean, his parents didn't buy buying motorbikes and guns all the time, but they would regularly go on holidays. So Bruce would go with his dad to central western New South Wales, for example, quite often.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's pretty lucky, it is.
Speaker 1: And I know, like I didn't go on a bunch of extravagant holidays when I was young, and I was always like to be fair, like, I didn't have a terrible childhood. I had a pretty good childhood. I got to go on some trips and stuff. It was just I was always jealous when people were going to like Disneyland and stuff, and I never got to go to Disneyland.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know, well we went to Disney World the first time together, both of us, right couple years ago. Because up here, people's families ideas, I feel like in are to go camping or fishing or whatever. Right, Yeah, so that was how we kind of vacate both of our families as we were kids.
Speaker 1: And other people in other situations, like the big city, they go out camping on their big holidays too, right, and it's a big to do when they get to do it, But it's for us. It's like, oh, we just drove half an hour to a lake, and yeah, why am I not sitting at home playing my Nintendo instead? But it's just the lifestyle, Like it's that was kind of our holidays too around here, Like yeah, rivers lakes, fishing, camping, the whole thing.
Speaker 3: I feel like that created pretty good childhood memories though, if I'm being honest.
Speaker 1: It did. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. Yeah, just as a kid, I was like, I want to go to Disneyland and stuff.
Speaker 3: I want to go see Mickey.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And so Bruce's life was more so on that end of getting to travel like that all the time. So now that wealth your lifestyle didn't mean that he was extraordinarily spoilt, though he was still expected to do well in school, for example, and he eventually graduated from the Kunibar Barren High School in nineteen seventy two. I love that that town name Kunabara Barn. Try and say it.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, what is it? Kunabara Barron, Kuna Barn Barron. Oh, I think I already.
Speaker 1: I think he had won too many ends in there.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's hard, like that would be a hard one. I would probably not choose this case because I really it just.
Speaker 1: Because of that city. But anyways, we digress. Bruce His expectations, however, didn't end up carrying through much of his life after high school. In fact, he would just continue to kind of live at home afterwards and not really too much too good to leave pretty much by the sum of it, it seems like, so you know, kind of just like it's too cushy at home, why would I leave exactly? And it seems like his parents just kind of fed into it as well, so that didn't make it much better. Okay, Now, there aren't a lot of details regarding Bruce's life during this time, and that's presumably because well, he didn't exactly do a whole lot. He just kind of simply lived at home and was supported by his family's wealth. However, it is reported that he would develop a bad relationship with his half sister Denise, and he also began developing mental health issues, and some extended family would actually describe him as quote being a bit strange, a loner, and socially awkward.
Speaker 3: Well that's really too bad, it is, because the way you kind of described him as a child, it didn't seem necessarily like he was odd or how his family described him.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, as far as I can tell, he was just your average happy little boy. Yeah, until yeah, a little bit later on. So yeah, what sparked that initially? I don't know. Maybe he was just kind of always like that and it started showing more as he grew, or if there was a certain event. I did read some articles saying that it was whatever the situation was, but the bad relationship they built between his half sister and himself, some articles I read said that that sparked these sort of behaviors and mental health issues. So I don't know if that's true or not.
Speaker 3: But and was she upset with him because he was living at home and such?
Speaker 1: I couldn't find any information on that. It was just articles saying that they had a bad relationship, and that's pretty much all.
Speaker 3: You cans that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So one way or another, they had a bad relationship. And yeah. Now, eventually, though later in life, Bruce's parents would get separated and Bruce would move in with his mother and his half sister into Greenwich in Sydney, and there they moved into a house and together they lived for years to come. Then one day, as it must happen to us all, Bruce's mother, Joyce, unfortunately passed away in March of nineteen eighty nine, when Bruce was thirty three years old.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's still too young to lose your mama.
Speaker 1: It definitely is. I mean it's it wouldn't be easy, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: No, and especially too because it seems like he relied on her, maybe more so than a thirty three year old would.
Speaker 1: That's for sure. And that's a really good point. Actually he did rely on her for well a lot. Yeah. Yeah, up until his point, Bruce never really seemed to be independent. So you kind of hit the nail on the head there. He had his parents who provide for him all through his life and actually even after their separation and even his mother's passing, because in her will she left Bruce with one million dollars worth in shares.
Speaker 3: That is a chunk of change.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wish someone would just give me money. I mean, I understand it's a will. It's not just like he was just given money.
Speaker 3: It's in that situation you don't want that money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I totally get that. I still want a million dollars though. Don't get me wrong.
Speaker 3: I could do a lot with a million bucks.
Speaker 1: Oh definitely. And Bruce he would cash out those shares and he used the money to purchase the house that they were living in, so he now owned it.
Speaker 3: I do like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is nice. So for the next twenty eight years, Bruce would reside in this house alone. He would continue to not work and live off Social Security benefits and the money that was left for him. During this time, Bruce would have very little contact with his father and his half sister and the rest of his family. He stuck to himself, and he became somewhat of a recluse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, staking to my hermit kind of Ah.
Speaker 1: Pretty much, except just not out in the middle of a cabin in the bush.
Speaker 3: He still lived in a neighborhood of sorts.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and around his property. This is where it starts to see a little bit odd his behavior, because he's not just sitting at home by himself. Now, he had actually set up barbed wire around the fence of his house to keep out intruders. Whoa, and he even installed cans around his yard as crude alarm systems.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, he's just in there, like almost as terrified of the outside world pretty much.
Speaker 1: It seemed like that, oh sitting there waiting to see if he could hear these like cans rattling away. So in that way, he knew if there was like someone accessing his property.
Speaker 3: Yikes. That makes me feel terrible for him.
Speaker 1: Right, And actually we saw that in The Walking Dead in one of the earlier seasons.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they set up a little tent and then like strings with cans on them, so I knew if a walker was coming in. And yeah, that's pretty much exactly what he was doing.
Speaker 3: Jeez. Yeah, I mean the neighbors probably hated that too. Probably it was quite nice, I'm assuming.
Speaker 1: And not only this though, but he had actually nailed the windows of his house shut. Yeah, and this is a little bit of information that I told you prior to he had developed a rather serious hoarding problem.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, two things here. Nailing the windows, that's not a terrible idea. That's safety.
Speaker 1: I mean, you're not wrong. You're not wrong.
Speaker 3: Now, I'm like, my brain's going, I'm like, should we do that?
Speaker 1: You can also just lock windows.
Speaker 3: That's true, that's true. But maybe he didn't have windows that locked. He should have spent his million dollars to get windows l law. There you go anyway. Yes, So the hoarding thing is fascinating to me because they are used to I don't there still could be, but I used to be really into watching those shows, the hoarding shows, and the families and stuff, and how they would kind of go in and help them, because it's like, it's actually quite a it's a disorder, right, Oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's an actual disorder.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Actually, I have that a little description of it here in my write up, if I may so, I say, hoarding is an actual disorder in which a person has difficulty discarding or parting with possessions because of the perceived need to save them, often pertaining to potential value or use for them.
Speaker 3: They physically have a hard time getting rid of anything.
Speaker 1: Oh definitely. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I almost can legitimately understand that feeling a little bit. I feel like I come from a line of hoarders a little bit, not like very low key, very low key hoarders. But I have a terrible time getting rid of things. But I kind of broke that chain. I feel like with tiny homelans, not so much more than I could have.
Speaker 1: You still have like three boxes of beanie babies from when.
Speaker 3: You're that's the only thing you have. Shitten are in there too that you could get rid of too. Those are supposed to be my life saving.
Speaker 1: So the beanie babies.
Speaker 3: Like I collected those and one day they were going to pay pay for my whole life.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think those would even be able to pay for McDonald's Happy Meal at this point.
Speaker 3: I could probably get that.
Speaker 1: It'd be hard pressed.
Speaker 3: That's my only thing now, Okayanie told the world things a lot.
Speaker 1: Sorry I outed you my bad.
Speaker 3: I have a photo of myself laying on the bed just covered in beanie babies.
Speaker 1: You've told me about this photo, but I've yet to see it. You got to dig up probably a good thing, probably. Anyways, back to Bruce, His house and his yard was filled up with debris and had filled up over the years. His property was not being taken care of. There was overgrown vegetation through the yard, along with the debris and and trash scattered all around that reached up heights towards his windows.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, and that's when the city starts having to get involved too.
Speaker 1: Never regarding his house and living conditions, one of Bruce's neighbors, Gail, said this, the home would have been fairly bad inside. He had mental issues and was a bit of a recluse. Everything was locked up. You couldn't see inside the windows. We would just hear him or see him outside, always in a big brown coat, regardless of the weather. No one's been near the home.
Speaker 3: My gosh. I wonder if he ever went out, like some intrigued, how did he get his groceries and stuff.
Speaker 1: Well he did do that, and we'll touch on that briefly a little bit later. So also in his neighborhood, his house was known as quote the creepy house on the corner.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, Yeah, that's said.
Speaker 1: So it was not a pretty sight. His property was definitely well, for lack of better words, just straight up not taken care of. It was in need of some Yeah, some TLC would have gone long ways.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, actually I shouldn't even say that, because it's not like he didn't love his property or anything. That's sure he did.
Speaker 3: Okay, No, that was poor wordy. It was in need of I don't know, some cleaning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was in need of care. Yeah, that's for sure. So entirely alone on his property, Bruce would only have one interaction with any sort of friends or family when he sent out Christmas cards to his relatives during the holidays.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh. Yeah, I really like that.
Speaker 1: And that's basically how Bruce lived, whether he chose it or was unable to live live any other way due to his mental illnesses, but regardless, this was his life.
Speaker 3: I like that he still send out Christmas cards. I like him.
Speaker 1: You do you like Bruce?
Speaker 3: I do like Bruce.
Speaker 1: Well, this is how we lived up until one day in twenty seventeen. It was midwinter. Now remind you this is Australia, so the other side of the world, our summer is their winter, right right. I just wanted because that threw me off for a second, and I was like, oh yeah when I read this. So it was midwinter at twelve forty five pm on Friday July twenty first, when emergency services knocked on Bruce's door for a wellness check. He hadn't been seen for several weeks.
Speaker 3: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: Neighbors had began calling in that they hadn't seen him for weeks, and he was usually dressed up in his signature brown coat as he would leave for his daily walk to the grocery store or pharmacy. Right, but recently he hasn't left his home, which was fairly odd.
Speaker 3: That's kind of nice that his neighbors are seemed to be keeping an eye on him.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I think it's kind of like it's just kind of a regular thing. You know, they see him same time, same day, all the time, that going out doing his thing. I think he was kind of a person of habits sort.
Speaker 3: Of he had a routine very much.
Speaker 1: So, especially if you're not working, you're not outside with friends, or you're not interacting with people. I think root would be fairly big for an individual like.
Speaker 3: That, exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And honestly, I could probably learn a lot from that, because I definitely could use some routine in my life sometimes.
Speaker 3: I know, I sometimes feel like essessually with me just being kind of my own boss, like like I need to get my shia together.
Speaker 1: Routines are good, they are so authorities knocked on the door, but they received no response, so they knocked again, and again they were met with silence. So, with no other choice and concerns for his safety, they forced their way into Bruce's home. They had to break through two locks that had been secured from the inside of the door before they made their way through the front of the house. They made their way through via a pathway that led amongst the piled garbage that was up to waist high, where it led to Bruce. Now Bruce had passed away.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: They had found his lower half of his body lying in a hall way and his upper half partially in a room, slumped over a radiant bar heater which was left turned on.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, yeah, I don't really know what that means, but it can't be a good thing.
Speaker 1: Well, his body had become separated into and it's kind of unclear exactly how that occurred, but presumably it would have been from decomposition and the radiator, for lack of better terms, cooking through his body over time.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's exactly what I thought, But I, like I really wasn't going to go there with my mind. But yeah, we just went there. Yeah that's something.
Speaker 1: It's a visual.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is a really really visual and I just had the worst visual. Oh okay, we need to just move on here, I.
Speaker 1: Gia, we're not quite ready to move on just yet. His body was burnt and obviously in an advanced state of decomposition with quote extreme charring. Oh my gosh, on his right hand, right shoulder, the right side of his face, neck, and chest.
Speaker 3: I have to share with you where my mind went really quickly. Okay, go ahead, because you know in the oh, it's so terrible and like a lot of houses, the front yard has like those electrical box things, yeah, that you're like tell kids not to go near them or whatever. But then in school, they would do demonstrations sometimes and they put like a hot dog on them so that you can smell what it would smell like with like the burning flesh.
Speaker 1: What kind of fucking school did you go to?
Speaker 3: I don't know, but I remember having to go to this demonstration where they like put a hot dog on there so that you could see smell how nasty it would smell if you like burn yourself. There is that's a cooked hot dog Oh it's it did not smell like a cooked hot dog. I would probably recognize that smell, and I'm envisioning this house to smell like that.
Speaker 1: You went to some fucked up kind of school. Wow.
Speaker 3: Well, back, there's a few things that I feel like are questionable that we had to go through, and it's like they just tried to scare the shit out of you, I think, instead of like teaching you.
Speaker 1: I never went to a cooked hot dog demonstration. I just called that a barbecue. That's the only cooked hot dog demonstration I ever went to.
Speaker 3: Oh man, someone else has to have had this demonstration.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Okay, you shoot us a message if you had. I'm curious now, Okay, anyways, back to the horrific details of his condition, I guess Wow, that's that's an interlude and a half. Thanks. Anyways, Bruce had his ribs charred as well, and the tissue covering his ribs was burnt away, leaving many of his internals, including his heart and lungs, to be blackened in charred.
Speaker 3: Wow. I'm so intrigued how he ended up like that though? Yeah, Like was he cold and just trying to warm up or something, but then like died.
Speaker 1: Well, his death was not considered to be suspicious, and his remains made it difficult to identify the cause of death. But it is noted that he had complaints to his doctor of chest pains a couple weeks earlier and refused treatment, So I couldn't find any assumptions on how he ended up in said position. But my assumption is probably something like a heart attack and it would have fallen onto the heater. Oh, okay, that's my guess.
Speaker 3: H that's crazy. You don't hear about I don't know that stuff like that much. Hey, No, not dying that.
Speaker 1: Way, but it happens all the time, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, and probably there's a reason why we're chatting about him, and other cases don't have reasons why it would come up in a case, right, And you hear this these details.
Speaker 1: Exactly, So we're kind of getting into why we're chatting about this here pretty quick, Okay. At six point thirty pm that day, his body was removed from the house, and the house sat untouched for the rest of twenty seventeen. When Christmas rolled around, his family never got their annual Christmas cards and looked into why that was. Why hadn't they received it, what's going on with Bruce? Yeah, and they would receive the news that Bruce had passed away. And they also learned that Bruce had donated his full estate, including house and remaining six hundred thousand dollars that was left in his bank account to local charities.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, I love that. So he like planned that ahead. That's really nice.
Speaker 1: Exactly Now, it wasn't until May twenty eighteen that the cleanup of his property began. Police were called in to seize a rifle and ammunition found in the bedroom that was discovered by professional cleaners, and five days after that they found more. They called police in and again more were seized. And just to show, I mean, they've already been there cleaning for five days. His house was in such disarray. It took weeks to clean.
Speaker 3: And he had an interest though since a kid with the guns, right he did.
Speaker 1: It was guns and motorcycles, And apparently there was a couple of motorcycles found in the backyard, though he never owed any, and ample amounts of motorcycle magazines as well. Okay, Now, the house was in such disarray it took weeks, like I said, And as they were cleaning, they would be discovering things under piles of rubbish as they cleaned, such as, you know, the guns and ammunition, that sort of stuff, and no one would certainly have been able to predicted what sort of stuff they were going to find, especially the one thing they did find next. It was on May twenty ninth in twenty eighteen, when cleaners were removing piles of garbage from a bedroom in the house. They eventually made their way down and lifted up a rug that had been draped over the top of some more debris. When they lifted the rug and made the horrifying discovery of a corpse staring back at them.
Speaker 3: What, Yeah, seriously, a.
Speaker 1: Person's body in under a rug, under a rug, under a pile of rubbish.
Speaker 3: Holy shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so that's a thing.
Speaker 3: Man. It must have smelled so terrible in there.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm sure it did. Police were, of course immediately called to restate the scene. The body was by this time completely mummified, was still fully clothed and laid under piles and piles of garbage in a seated position with their back against a couch slumped over to the left. Wow, and investigators found approximately seventy air fresheners scattered throughout the room and surrounding the body.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, yeah, I'm sure that would do the trick, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you're you're talking about a horrendous smell. I'm pretty sure even Bruce was bothered by it to some degree.
Speaker 3: Seventy five air.
Speaker 1: Freshman, approximately seventy Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, I shouldn't laugh at that. That's terrible. That's terrible. Oh my gosh, that's terrible.
Speaker 1: Everything about that is terrible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's terrible.
Speaker 1: It's terrible from the fact that someone was potential while someone was killed, and it's terrible in the fact that Bruce was living in conditions like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then he just for that long or just didn't think to do anything about this. Okay, Yeah, that's quite a way to hide a body, like.
Speaker 1: Wow, Well, he didn't really hide the body, to be fair, He just kind of stowed it away and grew stuff on top of it. So. As police continued their investigation, they managed to find shotgun pellets embedded in the walls and pellets in the floors. They were also dried blood that had pooled near the body. Gosh, DNA samples were taken of the individual to try and identify who the individual was, and lucky enough, there were enough factors to get a positive idea on the person. Okay, and pretty much thanks to the condition of the mummified body being so pristine, they were able to identify a combination of DNA fingerprints and tattoos.
Speaker 3: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: And they were able to identify Shane John Snellman.
Speaker 3: But he didn't do anything per se to the body, right to keep it, Nope, he just tucked it away and put air freshers around it.
Speaker 1: Pretty much.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So Shane had a lengthy criminal record and had last been seen in October of two thousand and two.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Shane was born in November of nineteen sixty three to Herbert and Pamela Snellman and had a younger sister, Belinda. His parents separated when he was young, and, along with his sister, they were eventually placed in a Catholic covenant home. Now, after that sort of life, he began to kind of take a turn for the worse. By the age of fifteen, he was charged with the murder of a homeless man, but was eventually acquitted. From here on, he became very very well known to police as he committed many crimes and even served time for theft and drug related defenses, serving jail time for property theft. Like the list kind of goes on in and out of jail, right okay. One such drug related defense had him released on June twenty seventh in two thousand and two, after a year in jail. Now, bank records show that after this release, he would withdraw his supported bank deposits the same day that they were deposited into his account. However, they came to a stop when they were deposited on October twenty third, two thousand and two, when the money just simply sat in his account untouched.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Now, the thirty nine year old was reported missing. No one had seen him since until, of course, his mummified remains were found in the back corner of Bruce's home under a pile of garbage.
Speaker 3: My gosh, fifteen years later. Yep, that's insane.
Speaker 1: That's that's a significant time to be sitting in the corner of someone's house.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like at that point you think that you're just probably not going to find him, right, so that the family, I'm sure was shocked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, The one thing that really I find intriguing is the thought process that Bruce would have had. I'm sure for the coming days weeks after whatever had occurred, he would be thinking about what he needs to do or how he's going to do it to dispose of or clear the body. Yeah, but fifteen years later, he still knows the body's there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he's he probably doesn't think about it on a daily basis so anymore.
Speaker 1: And that's the thing that I'm really interested in is he's probably not thinking about it. No, but once in a while he'll remember it's there. I guarantee you he will.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, they had I feel like people in those kind of situations hoarders. I guess they do know where literally almost everything is in there and how to find it. Oh yeah, it's very intriguing.
Speaker 1: Well, that's like, there's that meme out there, and I've done this with some things to a certain degree as well. There's a meme out there of like the girlfriend asking the boyfriend, Hey, do you have a paper clip, and the boyfriend's like, yeah, computer room, Go to my filing cabinet. It's on the bottom right hand corner on the floor by the filing cabinet. Yeah, it's like you know where this exact little thing is. Yeah, And I'm sure Bruce knew all about his house the same way too, totally. But I'm just so intrigued on the thought process. I mean, I'm never going to get an answer, Don't get me wrong there, I know that, But I'm so intrigued in the thought process with Bruce and how he thought about the remains being in his house.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I almost think after some time and thought that he would maybe can have considered going and barring them in the backyard or something, right. Yeah, the fact that he actually just left them in that room is and how I'm sure would have been causing some quite the smell in his house. It's oh yeah, yeah. Well.
Speaker 1: The autopsy of Shane's body revealed that his left foot had been separated from his ankle joint, and that two areas around his right ear and top of the right skull showed heat exposure. He had a gun wound to his left super callavercal. I think is how you pronounce that, which was it's kind of indent at the top of the collarbone in your neck, like clap your collarbone.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I hate collar bones.
Speaker 1: And there were a total of But you hate collarbones, I do. That was a very odd comment.
Speaker 3: There's a few like parts of the body that it's like, Oh, they just give you the heavy GB's collarbones, give you the heapy g's knee caps.
Speaker 1: I knew you didn't like knee caps and eyeballs, but collarbones yeah, Oh okay.
Speaker 3: I mean they're necessary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you kind of need those things anyways. So there were a total of fifteen metal fragments found in his chest and stomach. Whoa, and the toxicology report yielded traces of methanmphetamine, bureau fenorine, and amphetamines.
Speaker 3: Okay, so like when he was at Bruce's house, like he was intoxicated.
Speaker 1: I believe. So, yes, is it.
Speaker 3: Still called intoxicated if it's on drugs, Yeah, that's intoxic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just what you're intoxicated with.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, there's.
Speaker 1: No difference in saying you're under the influence, you're.
Speaker 3: Under the influence.
Speaker 2: YEA.
Speaker 3: Generally with drugs, I say under the influence. But I got messed up there, there you go.
Speaker 1: So Deputy State Corner Derreck Lee had concluded that Shane's body ended up in Bruce's home by quote unauthorized entry oh okay, basically meaning Shane broke in for one reason or another, most likely to steal. They presume that he sorry. They presume I said that weird. They presume he died some time between October eighteenth and October twenty fourth in two thousand and two, while gaining entry to the property, and during so he was caught by Bruce. Bruce then pointed a shotgun to Shane in the confrontation and pulled the trigger, hitting him in the chest and killing him. Bruce then covered Shane's body with debris and refuse in this house and let him rot, which is where, of course, the air freshners came in. However, police were not able to find any physical evidence of forced entry, and when it came to the shotgun that caused the fatal injury, police were unable to get a positive match on that either. Now, though, they did find three shotguns, six bolt action rifles, three self loading rifles, an air rifle, shotgun, cartridges, rifle rounds, all of which being illegal.
Speaker 3: Okay, I was just gonna be like, are those illegal?
Speaker 1: Yeah, all of which were illegal. There was apparently a huge amount of ammunition in that house. Okay, but yeah, none of which was legal, and they were not able to get a positive match on any of the firearms in that house to match the crime scene.
Speaker 3: Oh so maybe he at least discarded the weapon.
Speaker 1: Potentially, right. Yeah. They also found spent shells in three of the bedrooms, all three of the bedrooms, the dining room, and the garage of the house. Now here's where it gets really interesting and also a little bit disappointing, because we're reaching the end of this and there's kind of a cliffhanger on this.
Speaker 3: Oh no, of course there is.
Speaker 1: Shane's younger sister, Belinda, disagreed with Corner's theory that he broke into the residence. In a Corner's court hearing, she shouted, he never gained forced entry, He never broke into that home. He already knew.
Speaker 3: Him, He already knew him. Yes, okay, I was not expecting this.
Speaker 1: Neither was I And unfortunately that are you kidding me?
Speaker 3: That's it. There's no more information on that statement.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, whether her claims are true or false, we may never know what really happened inside Bruce's home.
Speaker 3: Shit, Ben, you kidding me?
Speaker 1: There's no way no evidence in any way, shape or form proving that he did or did not know him. He already knew him, and with both a victim and assailant decease, there may never be any way of gaining any sort of understand what really occurred.
Speaker 3: Huh yeah, wow, okay, that one's self.
Speaker 1: All we know is that the inquest described the two deceased men as quote strangers in life who suffered a fatal chance encounter.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, if they did know each other, the one guy could know that his name is Shane, right, Sorry, my apologies, Tokay, Shane could know that Bruce was well off and had money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, very much so, so he could have potentially just getting out of prison. He could have potentially been going there for knowing that. I mean, let's let's start with the breaking in argument. He could be going there knowing that this individual has stuff. I mean, he's he's hoarding, he's got lots of stuff, he's got a nice place, Rumors are that he's wealthy.
Speaker 3: He's going there to his family's well feel money.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Or Two, he does know him personally and he didn't break in, and he's just going there just to get money and something went south.
Speaker 3: They got in some sort of an argument or something.
Speaker 1: Or maybe he wasn't even there for money, maybe he was just there visiting, or and because he was under the influence of something, maybe things didn't go right. Who knows. Yeah, or maybe it was a mistaken action. Maybe Bruce didn't do it at all, Maybe there was another person there.
Speaker 3: Oh, because Yeah, see, as you were kind of painting this picture of Bruce, it's almost shocking to me that he would kill someone. I agree, Like, I just I almost have trouble believing that. I agree, But I mean, if he was scared enough and this person was, but like, I'm just surprised that he would actually go through with pulling the trigger, there at someone.
Speaker 1: So I'm not saying I don't believe Bruce did it. I do think Bruce did it. The whole seventy plus air fresheners tell me that Bruce knew about the body. Oh yeah, and that tells me. I mean, I understand that hoarders are very protective over there, their homes, their stuff and everything. They don't want people in there. But I think if Bruce didn't do it, he would have called authorities. Yeah, so he at least knew about it, which tells me he did it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, gosh, I would really like to have been a fly on the wall and known what was going on. Hey, yeah, huh wow? Is there photos and stuff of anything his house or anything?
Speaker 1: To be fair, the photos I saw were just kind of like victims and stuff, so just come some kind of like benign type photos. I didn't really dig into looking for photos, but I'm sure you could find them. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm intrigued to see what his house looks like.
Speaker 1: So that was the story of well, a mummified body that was found in home.
Speaker 3: Wow. Crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so a little bit different than we normally do.
Speaker 3: That is different.
Speaker 1: It was when I was reading that. When I was I was quite intrigued. I was like, hmm, what is this one? Looked it up a little bit. I'm like, let's let's go with this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he took us on a ride, a different ride.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we got another another cool case coming down the pipe. You're doing the next one.
Speaker 3: I am doing the next one.
Speaker 1: Are you going to give any sort of hints?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: No, no hints, zero hints. We should maybe start doing hints at the end.
Speaker 3: Little maybe I actually have three though, that I have on my radar, So I'm not one hundred percent search in which one it's going to be. I'm like ninety percent certain, but not so I'm not going to go a hint. But okay, I will. I'll start doing hints. We'll get organized because.
Speaker 1: We used to do that, didn't we. I think we did.
Speaker 3: No, No, I don't feel like we've ever been that organized.
Speaker 1: I think we were a little more organized. Not at one point in time, once upon.
Speaker 3: A time, you know, yeah, anyways, back when.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So, anyways, Nicole's gonna be doing the next episode. It's going to be good because you You've told me the list, and I know the ninety percent chance one that you're going to be doing, and it's one I actually almost did at one point. Yeah, but yeah. If you want to support us in any other way than tuning into next episode, all the links for our social or down below. We've got Instagram, Facebook, website, YouTube, you name it. We also have Patreon where you can support us there. If not, you can just stay here children the next episode that is one hundred percent cool us. Two. If you want to go, give us a a rating. If you want to go, give us a a review that will be awesome and totally free to do, and it helps support the show and.
Speaker 3: It gets it really helps. The five star reviews really help they do.
Speaker 1: And those people who are out there just spewing bullshit on our ratings, I mean, thank you for the rating. I guess that's all I'll say there.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, honestly, well well done. That was It was interesting. I really wish I could find some answers here, but we're not going to. But that was interesting.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, it is a cliffhanger. So anyways, until Nicole does her episode, we'll talk to you then and until.
Speaker 3: Then, stay Wicked.
Speaker 1: That long why I love it day Wicked