Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with mo Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty KFI.
Speaker 2: It's Later with mo Kelly. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio, app Arriving in theaters nationwide this Friday comes to new supernatural thriller Sinners, trying to leave their troubled lives behind. Twin brothers and World War One veterans, both played by Michael B. Jordan, nonetheless returned to their hometown to start again, only to discover that an even greater evil is waiting to welcome them back. But joining me right now on the show is one of the co stars of Sinners, actress one Mi Masaku, who you know from siries such as Lovecraft, Country Loki and of course her TVA ties from Loki carried over to the movie Deadpool and Wolverine. One Mi Masaku, A pleasure to meet you. How are you this evening?
Speaker 3: I'm good, Thank you? How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm actually tickled because right now I've known you from your best works such as Lovecraft, Country Loki and of course the movie Deadpool and Wolverine, But I don't think i've heard your natural voice until now. You grew up in Manchester, England, and I'm always so curious about how English actors may hear the so called American accent. What do we sound like to you? And how do you go about mastering it?
Speaker 3: Oh? Well, I love hearing American accents. I love hearing how different they are from from east to west, north to south. It's it's a challenge, but we hear so much. We get so many of your TV programs when we're growing up, so we hear it a lot. And then you know, then getting to the specificity of different accents, like my character and Sinners, I play someone from Louisiana, and you know, I had a dialect coach in Beth Maguire who is amazing, and it's it's it's yeah. I love doing accent work. And it's interesting because it doesn't actually come naturally to me. But with a good teacher, I can get it. I can't just listen and repeat, but I can someone can break it down the hows and the whys and what people are doing with their tongue and their mouth and the back of the and their soft palette. I find it like an really fun challenge.
Speaker 2: Sinners is, of course a supernatural horror film. Is directed by Ryan Coogler. And as I said, my introduction starring Michael B. Jordan, tell me more about this story in how you as Annie come in?
Speaker 3: So I play Annie? Who is who? Do priestess, a conjure woman, a healer? She is powerful and full of love and understanding and and and and and she has such a groundedness and connectedness with and her ancestry and the spirit world. She is smokes other other half. So Smoke is played by Michael B. Jordan. He plays Smoke and Stack, identical twins. And she is smokes Person soul Tide, his safe place and sanctuary. And yeah, she's someone who has the intuition and the foresight and knows what's going on before most people know what's going on.
Speaker 2: What y'all doing?
Speaker 4: Just step aside and let me hang in now?
Speaker 3: Why you need him to do that? You begining strong enough to push basses? What?
Speaker 2: I wouldn't be too polite, now, would it, Miss Hanny. I don't know why I'm talking to you anyway, So.
Speaker 1: Don't talk to him.
Speaker 3: You're talking to me right now. Why you can't just walk your big ass up in here without an environ?
Speaker 4: Admit to it admit to what that you Dad, you're listening to this now? Now we out here playing games, telling ghost stories in place of doing what we ought to do, and what is it we're supposed to be doing being kind to one another, being polite. Now we is one people and we shouldn't go in barging into other folks places uninvited.
Speaker 2: So we've been in and out of Hill all day.
Speaker 3: They never need an invite. Dean. Yeah, So I ain't had no.
Speaker 2: In working with someone like Michael B. Jordan and how you are intimately tied. There's a level of intimacy with your characters. Tell me about that production process. How much rehearsal time might you have with him prior to doing scenes?
Speaker 3: We had two weeks rehearsal. Everyone got spent this time kind of getting to know their characters, getting figuring out their costume and spending time with Ryan and Michael and understanding their history. We had. We had their history kind of written out like beat by beat when they met, you know, when she moved from Louisiana, when they when he went to war, and we spent this time just like trying to flesh out their past so that when they're reunited after seven years of being apart all that history into the room with them, and whether or not you see it as an audience, you feel it and yeah, so the rehearsal period is really about getting to know each other, building that history between us and and building trust so that we could we can move freely with each other and safely and know like where our where our strengths and weaknesses are, and where we need the support and the space.
Speaker 2: You know, Sinners is a powerful, powerful horror movie. And the horror genre I would say has evolved over the years where it was less psychological, less thriller, and more bumps and jumps and screens, and this seems a return to that. When you were reading the script, I'm quite sure it impressed you one way, but after seeing the final movie had probably impacted another way. Talk to me about the powerful nature of the movie.
Speaker 3: I feel like horror has such a I want to say modern horror, but I don't. I don't watch a lot of horror, but since like for me get Out, horror has been such a powerful tool for for empathy, for building empathy with audiences, whether it's you know, someone who looks so different from you, what experiences the world in a different way from you. The horror, I don't know, it triggers all those like instinctive like adrenaline and and and anxiety and your sweat glands, and now you feel an iota of what it might feel like to be that person in that situation. And whether it's an asylum seeker in his house or or Daniel callua in in Get Out. I feel like horror has a powerful way of connecting people who otherwise may not understand the horrors of humanity, that that part of humanity. So yeah, I think it's a really powerful tool.
Speaker 2: You said something right there. I want to go back and get you said you didn't necessarily watch a lot of horror. But if I look at your career, you've been able to do extensive work in either fantasy, this being horror or science fiction. Is that by chance or choice that you've been in a world of make believe? Let me put it that way.
Speaker 3: I mean, for me, the story, the story the messages that are told in these in these projects, whether it's Sinners, Lovecraft Country, even in Loki, the story of like a Crisis of Faith, the story of of of of of vampires, of a vampire, spiritual or actual or uh or or energetically, that taking trying to take what you have, your gift, your you know, it's the story that matters. It's the character journey for me that matters. I feel very lucky that I've been in part of projects that really the story has moved me. The stories have changed me the way I look at the world, the way I interact with the world. So yeah, horror is to me. It's for me. It always boils down to the story and the lessons that I learn and with the way I'm challenged in my way of thinking. And it just happens to be that some of the most creative ways of storytelling have been through horror in the last few years.
Speaker 2: For me, are you someone who is there the first night to watch audience reaction to a movie like Sinners, to see you on the big screen? Are you someone who doesn't ever want to see yourself on the screen and doesn't want to critique your own work.
Speaker 3: That's really interesting. I've never done that. I've never gone to the cinema on opening night to see the the audience response. But my husband was thinking saying the other day, maybe we should do that on Friday, and maybe I will. I think maybe I will, but it's not. I don't. Usually I've never done that before, but with this one, it feels like it might be cool to do that.
Speaker 2: I have a feeling you might be right. Centers in theaters nationwide. C one be Masaku as Annie. Thank you so much for coming on this evening and much success for you and the movie.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: It's Later with Moe Kelly CAFI AM six forty. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty