Speaker 1: In this episode, we talk about India achieving a major milestone in the space sector and becoming the third country in the world to successfully place satellites into orbit using a rocket developed by a private company. We also talk about the Cocro Junta party threatening to restart the protests if fiers filed against any of the protesters in Delhi or any other BGP ruled states are not withdrawn. But you begin today with the major legal ruling on artificial intelligence and copyright in India.
Speaker 2: Hi, I am Aherikan Nanda and you are listening to three things in an Express News show.
Speaker 1: Recently, the Delhi High Court has held at the interim stage that Openey's use of copyrighted material to train its large language models does not amount to copyright infringement and can fall within fair dealing under Indian copyright law. The case was filed by News Agency A, which accused open AI of using its copyrighted material to train chat GBT. Now this is significant because several publishing and music industry bodies have raised similar objections to AI training models, and so the ruling signals how Indine courts are thinking about copyright and the limits of fair dealing. So to understand what exactly did the Delhi high coat say and what does this ruling mean for creators and AI companies in India. My colleague Chasharma is joined by the Interinet expresses so hey ghosts so Heney.
Speaker 3: We understand that A and I raised three connected objections to the use of its copyrighted material. So could you start by reminding us what was A and I alleging OpenAI had done with its content?
Speaker 4: So A and I's main contention was that open ai is training its large language model on its works which fall under copyright, and it's ultimately also producing content of A and I's verbaton in its output. These were basically two limbs of what A and I's argument was while claiming that OpenAI is effectively infringing on.
Speaker 5: Its copyrighted works.
Speaker 4: So yeah, that was broadly the case that A and I had put forth.
Speaker 5: One A and I had moved quote.
Speaker 4: Then other parties had also joined in. Some of them were consonant with an I's line of argument, and some of them were more supportive of open AI's line of argument, which was that basically it's not copyright infringement if they're training their models on copyrighted works and so.
Speaker 3: What exactly has the Delhi High Code ruled and what has it not yet decided.
Speaker 4: So, first of all, this is a single judge order by the Delhi High Code, so obviously there are chances that the parties would go into appeal, further putting that caveat in place. Broadly, what the verdict establishes in the Indian copyright law jurisdiction is that basically, if you're training your LMS and storing internally this work on which your LMS would be trained, that is not a copyright infringement. Effectively, that is the crux of what the Telehigh Courte right.
Speaker 5: Now has held.
Speaker 4: So in a sense it is ruling on the copyright aspect of the input that goes into your LMS, and not exactly the output, which is what it gives when you put in a query, when you put in a prompt. What is under copyright there what is not? That question remains open broadly, but in terms of the training data, how it is kept, what is used, and what purpose it is used for. Based on that, the COOTE held that if the training material is a also not being shared with any third party and is only being stored and used internally to train your machines, which also translates to research work by machines, how research by humans happen, which is where you say, read an article, read multiple books, and your training your mind.
Speaker 5: The code took a similar view with machines.
Speaker 4: And held that it won't be a copyright infringement.
Speaker 3: Right and for those who may not know already, fair dealing is a copyright law exception that allows limited use of protected works without the owner's permission, and so so any does the judgment distinguish between an AI system learning from copyrighted material and reproducing it.
Speaker 4: So the quote and an I S case specifically found that the output is not an exact replication, duplication.
Speaker 5: Or lego gutation of what it is being fed.
Speaker 4: So essentially the middle process it's adding some value to what it is being fed. And thus, in this case, specifically in an I S case, the overall flow the workflow wouldn't count as copyright infringement. And the judgment also made this distinction that A and I's works are freely available, and it's not even their case that their work was behind a payball and OpenAI got it illegally or unauthorizedly and.
Speaker 5: Used that to train.
Speaker 4: So I think somewhere over there the quote is drawing a line. And say, for publications, newspaper publications, if you are putting your content behind payall, it gives you some amount of immunity if I go by the Deli High courtes in interpretation right now in this judgment.
Speaker 3: And so what has been open eis argument.
Speaker 4: So open eyes broad argument has been and it takes from what the global jurisdiction has held that A as a news organization, you have quite a limited scope of copyright. For example, compared to say fiction novel visa we what A and I produces, it's very different. A fiction novel has a stronger copyright value because it is a lot of intellectual work, a lot of original work that goes in versus a news report, which is anyway, it faces a.
Speaker 5: Very narrow scope of copyright. Because facts are facts.
Speaker 4: There are only so many ways that you can report a fact.
Speaker 5: So that was one limb of argument.
Speaker 4: A second limb of argument was also the fact that so they stopped using an i's feed or the syndicate for training purposes once A and I sent them a legal notice before approaching quote. So in a sense, opening I kind of exhibited that we are acting with bona fide intentions, and because someone objected to it, we took a conscious decision to hold back and not use this material. So yeah, broadly, these were their limbs of argument.
Speaker 3: And so even if training is legally considered fair dealing, does that settle the separate question of whether creators and publishers ought to be paid or asked for consent.
Speaker 4: So again we have to look at global jurisdictions and how they have interpreted their copyright protections for what is being fed to train your elms and in that for example the US Sports there were two crucial judgments in US in June twenty twenty five where they kind of weighed the fact that this technology is transformative and thus if you're training on these original walks for a transformative purpose, that gets a pass under fair dealing. Similarly, Europe also has some regulation around training and.
Speaker 5: Storage of data for elelems.
Speaker 4: The European Union's framework is more structured and leaves very little scope for quotes to interfere. So what the European law says is that you can use works protected walks for training purposes. If it is for research purpose or research being, it has to be by universities, by cultural heritage institutions or any sort of research body, either that or the second category is for any other use.
Speaker 5: But in the.
Speaker 4: Second category, I, as a owner of the work, I get to also opt out.
Speaker 5: So there's an opt out option over there.
Speaker 4: So euces training in that sense where it gives some amount of leverage to the owner of the work and gives them there is some level of consent of theirs involved right.
Speaker 3: And so, so how significant is this ruling for India because it is the first time an Indian constitutional quote has expressed a view on whether copyrighted material may lawfully be used to change generative AI systems.
Speaker 4: So for starters, it gives us a starting point. Now it remains to be seen that how much content creators or owners of copyright, how much they get to exercise their rights here, But broadly on the input side, basically, if it is being used for training.
Speaker 5: Purposes, the rights are kind of diminished.
Speaker 4: For them in if put very bluntly, So what remains to be seen as how they negotiate on the output part. And there's something that a lot of experts are also flagging. So one obvious fallout that we see from yours maybe copyright owners have to start thinking about what kind of licensing agreements they should have, what kind of rights these licensing agreements give and to whom, But to negotiate that they have more levey on the output side. So for example, if tomorrow there's a benign prompt that you give, and you, being a fiction writer or an academic paper writer, you see parts of it being regurgitated as it is you're being given paragraphs and paragraphs.
Speaker 5: From your paper or from your book.
Speaker 4: You have a strong case then to actually raise your copyright infringement claims. However, raising those claims at the starting phase where the elms are getting trained, that scope has kind of narrowed now with this judgment, and.
Speaker 3: So any earlier you mentioned how A and I was one of the organizations involved in the litigation, among others like the Federation of Indian Publishers, the Digital News Publishers Association and even the Indian music industry. Talk about what does this mean for other creative industries, So see the aspect that Delhi High Code does not go into is I mean also because they.
Speaker 4: Were only dealing with A and I's case broadly, but there is something that the US quotes dealt with or this was because it was an issue about what if your lem is getting trained on piated data, which is shadow libraries. So technically shadow libraries are pirated content. So for example, in Delhi the High Court has earlier held again there's a preliminary finding that the quote gave and the broader or the final judgment, and that is still pending, it's still undergoing adjudication. It was this case by Elsevier, the organization that I'm sure we all know publishes a lot of academic papers and journals.
Speaker 5: So they had moved quote.
Speaker 4: Alleging copyright infringement by shadow libraries like sihab and libgen. So in that there was a preliminary fine Delhi High Courte that this is a copyright infringement and rolled in el Severe's favor. So now what we have here and what might cause a gray area here is at one juncture you are saying that shadow libraries are an act of copyright infringement. At the same time we are not really going into the source of the training data for llms. So for example, in A and I's case, there was no piated data involved here.
Speaker 5: It was all legitimate data.
Speaker 4: But there's no observation from the quote on how do we interpret copyright infringement in the case, say, if your training material itself is violating or the way you have procured, the way you have access that training material, it might have some level of copyright infringement, say, for example, in the shadow libraries case, if you're using libraries. So yeah, broadly that is something that remains unanswered in the verdict.
Speaker 3: And sohny does this case raise a question about India now needing a specific law for EI training because the Copyright Act was not drafted with generative AI in mind, and that's why coats are applying existing concepts like Ferylyn.
Speaker 4: So I personally don't think that a new law is going to make much of a difference, if at all, It's only going.
Speaker 5: To create more confusion. But again personal opinion.
Speaker 4: Here, what I feel the EU model is much better because it gives some level of structure, some level of consent, some level of you as a copyright owner having some.
Speaker 5: Say over how your work is used.
Speaker 4: Because it was Washington Post who did this story, I think sometime in January basically saying how Anthropic is buying up millions of books from the EU markets, physical copies of books and tearing them up completely. And these include like rare books as well, tearing them up, getting those digitized, putting it on their library so that they can train their lms.
Speaker 5: Now, one theory of why.
Speaker 4: They're doing this is apparently they want to basically subwort the copyright restrictions. So both the US and USE laws they have their own loopholes and if someone wants to subvert that, they do.
Speaker 5: It very clearly.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and next we turned to a major milestone in india space sector. Earlier this month, India became only the third country in the world, after the United States and China to successfully place satellites into orbit using a rocket developed by a private company. On the eighteenth of July, victim Ie, a rocket named after pioneering space scientist Vikrm Saurabhai, reached Earth orbit and deployed several experimental satellites as part of Mission Agman, developed by the Hyderabad based company Skyroute Aerospace. The mission marks the beginning of a new chapter for India's private space industry. To understand the significance of Mission Agman and what greater participation by private companies could mean for India space ambitions. We speak with the Indiane expresses anonadath Anona. India for the first time has had a private space agency launch a payload into the Earth's orbit.
Speaker 2: Talk about the significance of this moment.
Speaker 6: So basically, this is the first time that a private company has done an orbital launch. The same company had actually done a suborbital flight in twenty twenty two to check call its systems. What this means is now the vehicle is capable of actually launching satellites into the orbit, and in fact, the first flight did carry some technology demonstration satellites onboard and launched them. This is significant because the space sector was opened up by the government to private players only in twenty twenty and in less than six years these companies have been able to achieve an orbital launch and the company has already said that after a few of these demonstration missions they would go into a full fledged commercial launch capability, which means they would be attracting people from satellite manufacturers from across the globe and launched their satellites from the Indian soil.
Speaker 1: Right and can you talk about Mission Argument and about Vikram one, the first private Indian launch vehicle that has reached the Earth's orbit.
Speaker 6: Yes, like I mentioned, this was Argument which was announcing of this you know, new vehicle entering the spaceflight sector, and they decided to name the mission Argument because this was the first orbital launched by the company and it would mark the beginning of you know, induction of this new vehicle into the spaceflight sector when it comes to become one. This rocket is made up of four stages, three solid stages which provide the maximum amount of power to the vehicle to escape the Earth's atmosphere and then comes a liquid fuel based orbital adjustment module. This is the one which fine tunes the position of the last stage of the rocket in space and you know, orients it correctly for placing the satellites in accurate orbit. So the company was successfully able to demonstrate the accurate working of all four stages and they were able to put the demonstration satellites in.
Speaker 2: Very accurate orbits during the launch, which.
Speaker 6: Showcases that this rocket can become a very successful small commercial launch rockets for the low Earth orbit satellites.
Speaker 1: And anona walk us through what happened at three Harrikota on eighteenth of July. How did the events unfold? Because we understand that the team encountered a few setbacks before the launch, right, yes.
Speaker 6: So basically this was the first time in the mission control the front bench was occupied by a very young group of people, very enthusiastic. You could see that they were anxious but happy that finally all their work was going to be demonstrated. And while all the checks were being done a day ahead of the launch, everything was found to be normal. But yes, there was a slight snag at the time of the launch and the automatic launch sequence wherein the vehicle t over all the processes needed to finally launch itself that had to be stopped just five minutes before the launch. But it couldn't have been a very significant technical fault because it was resolved within minutes and the new window for accurate launch was calculated and there was just about half an hour delay in the launch of the satellites. So the snag was immediately corrected and a new automatic launch sequence was launched and instead of around eleven thirty, the vehicle finally took off at twelve oh five on the day off and within about twenty minutes, less than twenty minutes, the satellites were placed in orbit. We should also talk about the excitement that was seen once the scientists, these young scientists were very sure that you know, the satellite would reach its intended orbit. First, the first point was when these vehicle crossed the one hundred kilometers mark indicating that it had entered space. There was a cheer that went through the room. And once the launch was complete, you could see these you know, young scientists celebrating and sort of dancing with joy in the mission control.
Speaker 7: FIE four three oh one and we have LIP one.
Speaker 4: India's first private orbital and we have great views coming from.
Speaker 5: The cameras and is in this.
Speaker 6: And this time around the senior ISRO scientists including the current chairman WIENA. Rynan and former chairpersons h such as S. Som Nath brother Krishnan was also there. So all of the chairpersons along with mister Pavangenka who heads the body called in Space, all of them were present. But behind these young scientists who were there in the mission control.
Speaker 1: And an The private organization at the center of this mission is Skyroot Aerospace can you tell us a bit about the company.
Speaker 6: So this is actually the first Unicorn space startup in the country. Sky Route came up actually just before the space sector was open, and they took a benefit of these sector opening up to private players and really ran with it. They are the first company to achieve orbital flight, but there are others who are attempting it. This was actually founded by people who have worked with Israel previously and you know, they sort of they have made them mark and you could see the confidence that people have on them with the kind of investment that has come from you know a lot of private players into the company, right, and we understand that post the launch, the founders also had a conversation with PM mod What did he have to say about this development. So while we've seen, you know, with all key ISRAE missions, the Prime Minister either does like a video address in Chandryan to the Prime Minister was actually present at the mission control even though the landing could not be successful. So with these key you know missions, the Prime Minister usually takes note of it. And while he was not present during this mission, he did speak with both the founders immediately after the launch, and the founders at that time were on the diace and they held up their phone to the microphone and everybody could hear what the PM was saying.
Speaker 8: At this was essentially the PM was talking about the great achievement that has happened.
Speaker 6: And now you know, with this launch, India became the third country which has these private spacecraft programs which can be utilized by satellite makers across the world. So it was a good achievement. And he also spoke about the decision to open up the space sector in twenty twenty. He said that, you know, there were a lot of people who said, how will you do this, how will this happen?
Speaker 8: It's not possible, but he said that, you know, the success of.
Speaker 6: Sky Root sort of proved his point, and he said people should give this kind of ambitious work to youngsters because they are able to deliver. And then of course he congratulated the founders. The founders also informed him that a message that he had sent on the flight, he had actually signed the postcards stating one day Mataram. The founders told him that that has actually reached space now and it's in orbit. So that was the conversation that happened between the founders and the PM and Anona.
Speaker 1: Are there other private companies that are also working towards entering this space and what does the RoadHead look like for India's private space sector?
Speaker 6: So there are two types of things that are happening. Just like sky Route, there is another company called Arnikol which is also developing its own launch vehicle and they have also been able to do their sub orbital launch, but they are yet to do an orbital launch so far. Other than these two companies, there is also a small satellite launch vehicle which was developed by ISRO itself, which was developed thinking that there would be an increase in demand to launch small satellites into the low Earth orbit. You know satellites which are significantly used for communications by companies such as Starlink and one Web. So ISRO was aware that this boom might happen and that's why they developed. It's SSLv, which has now been transferred to an industry and now the private playwires who would take up the SSLv vehicle and you know, do complete end to end launch, So they will manufacture it, they will find clients for it and they will schedule the launches accordingly. So that is another thing that is happening in the private sector in India right now. Other than that, the you know opening up space sector came with the sort of forward thinking that ISRO would now for on the big missions. You know, they will give up the routine launches and look at missions like adite l one which is studying the Sun, or Chandrayan, which is you know, incrementally going to the Moon. And there's also a plan to set up a space station. So the inan space research organization would then focus on these kind of research and innovation rather than launching communications aatellites or Earth observations aatellites regularly. So all in all, there would be several private players in the market in the coming years. And this is an attempt towards you know, getting a significantly higher share of the global space launch market.
Speaker 1: And in the end we discuss another issue that is arising between the Corporate Junta Party and the Center.
Speaker 2: One of the key demands.
Speaker 1: Of the CGP before it reached an agreement with the Center on calling off the protests against paper leaks in Delhi and elsewhere was that cases registered against protesters we withdrawn. The CGP has now accused the government of going back on its commitment by allowing the police to register cases and make arrests in BGP ruled states, and warned of renewing the agitation. They also pointed out that the signed agreement the Center promised has not yet been handed over. The Indiane Express's Dari reports that the government sources insisted that the assurance given by Health Minister JP Nada on Saturday during the press conference was limited to peaceful protesters and did not cover antisocial elements who infiltrated the protests.
Speaker 7: Point action Nahu or other heir to widraw Ho which Chavo JP ruled states recopied or will draw naked bath pull the action ningba is badko you protest future Magie Joe organizers have protesters said, is activity kill poet unper hag case nzoga is bat correct.
Speaker 1: The minister pointed out that even in the written assurance given to activist sonambang Chuk before he ended his twenty six day past, the government committed only to not take.
Speaker 2: Action against peaceful protesters.
Speaker 1: Another senior minister said there was still no signed written agreement between the Center and the CGP. The proposal submitted by the CGP, which was to be returned with the government's signatures by Tuesday, has yet not been handed over. This comes at a time when BGP governments in Bihar and Asam have announced that they would withdraw cases against protesters detained before six pm on July twenty six and release those arrested before that cutoff, while maintaining that action would continue against those involved in violence. West Beingal, however, has continued a crackdown, registering seven firs and arresting sixteen people in connection with the July twenty four violence in Kolkata. Chief Minister Souvendhuadikari has maintained that many of those identified were not students but antisocial elements. Deepman reported that on Monday, CGP spokesperson Ashuto Shanka alleged a complete breach of the July twenty five understanding with the Center, claiming that one hundreds of students had been arrested in BJP rule states. He demanded an immediate withdrawal of all fils, the release of detained protesters and end to fresh criminal cases by the Delhi Police, Central Agencies and police in BJP ruled states, and immediate sharing of the signed agreement. The CGP also announced a nationwide legal aided cell and launched an online evidence gathering platform, Sakshi with Rajasawa MP couple Sybil announcing Rupe's one Core corpus to provide legal assistance to protesters facing criminal proceedings.
Speaker 9: The other eight Senior Cabinet Administer Sarkar say, make Agreement, Honor Kiya Jayaga three five hours file draw Kia Jagassi Protestera organizer called parish Jaga detained Nikahika Jaga or future Mani protester organizers per other kultuk the Written Agreement Sati or Chao Yuanko protesters detained Khata Tokkro Junta Party Fit protest.
Speaker 2: You were listening to Three Things by the Indian Express.
Speaker 1: Today's episode was edited and Makes Nice and produced by Ichas Sharma and Mehari Kananda. If you like the show, then do subscribe to us wherever you get to podcast. You can also recommend the show to someone you think we like it, share it with a friend or someone in your family. It's the best way for people to get to know about us. You can also tweet us at Express podcast and write to us at podcasts at Indian Express dot com.