Speaker 1: Welcome back everyone for another deep dive. This time we're putting on our digital detective hats and uh yeah, we're diving headfirst into the world of Linux forensics.
Speaker 2: Oh, Linux forensics, that's my jam.
Speaker 1: And to guide us on this thrilling adventure, we have doctor Philip Polster's book. Now, this isn't your typical dry technical manual.
Speaker 2: No, no, not at all.
Speaker 1: It's more like a gripping detective story. You know, even if you've never ever touched a command line, you'll feel like you're cracking a real life cybercrime case.
Speaker 2: He's got this way of making the technical stuff feel almost like cinematic.
Speaker 1: Oh. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: He walks you through this case right where a company they're called Phil's Awesome Stuff, they get slammed with a cyber attack. Their web server has been compromised, data's potentially stolen, the whole shebang.
Speaker 1: Oh man.
Speaker 2: He uses this story right to teach you the ropes of Linux forensics.
Speaker 1: I love that approach, learning through a story. So we're going to use this Phills Awesome stuffcase as our guide, and our mission, should we choose to accept it, is to equip you, dear listeners, with the knowledge tackle a digital investigation head on.
Speaker 2: That's right. And one of the first things you realize in these situations is that your gut instinct, well it might lead you astray. Oh really yeah, Like you see a compromise system, you want to shut it down immediately, right.
Speaker 1: Contain the damage seems logical.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly, contained the damage. But as Polster points out, that could actually be the worst move.
Speaker 1: No, I'm really intrigued. Why would leaving a compromise system running be like the right call?
Speaker 2: Well, think about it this way. If you had like a burglar in your house and they knew you were onto them, what would they do.
Speaker 1: They'd try to cover their tracks, get rid of any evidence.
Speaker 2: Exactly, same thing with malware. If it senses the system shutting down, it's like hitting the panic button. It might wipe its activity logs, delete those stolen files.
Speaker 1: So it basically disappears in the thin air poof gone wow. So it's this like aast time. But sometimes hitting the pause button actually helps the criminal, not.
Speaker 2: Us exactly, And this is just one example of how counterintuitive digital forensics can be. Polster also talks about this thing called confirmation bias.
Speaker 1: Confirmation bias, Yeah, it.
Speaker 2: Could trip up even the most seasoned investigators.
Speaker 1: Now, isn't confirmation bias, like when you're so convinced you're right that you just ignore any evidence that says otherwise.
Speaker 2: You got it? Polster uses this analogy. It's like a magician asks a child to guess which hand has the coin.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, I'm following, and.
Speaker 2: The child keeps getting right, and the parents they're convinced, Oh, my kid's a mind reader. But the magician, sneaky magician, had coins in both hands all along.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, So the parents were so focused on proving their kid a special that they totally missed the obvious.
Speaker 2: Exactly, And investigators can fall into that same trap. They get fixated on one theory and then they only see the evidence that supports it. Yeah, we've got to turn a blind eye to other possibilities.
Speaker 1: Right, It's like having tunnel vision. So that's a good reminder for all of us, right to stay open minded, consider all the angles. Absolutely, But before we get ahead of ourselves, let's take a step back for those who are just starting out, Like, how would you define forensics, especially in this digital world?
Speaker 2: Okay, so forensic science at its core, it's about gathering evidence that could hold up in court, even if you never actually plan on going to court. Got it so about being meticulous, documenting everything, following procedures.
Speaker 1: Right, dotting your eyes, crossing your t's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and ensuring that all your findings, everything you discover is credible and hasn't been tampered with.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about finding those clues, it's about doing it in a way that's like legit that can stand up to scrutiny.
Speaker 2: Exactly. In digital forensics, it's particularly tricky because digital evidence is so easy to change, delete, even fabricate.
Speaker 1: Oh that's right.
Speaker 2: It's like imagine trying to solve a crime scene, but the evidence can just vanish or morph into something else at any given moment.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, that's a great way to put it. So we're dealing with much more fragile evidence than say, fingerprints or I don't know, DNA.
Speaker 2: Right. But here's the interesting part digital evidence. It also leaves behind a ton of information that you know, traditional forensics can only dream of.
Speaker 1: Oh that's true.
Speaker 2: We're talking time stamps, file access logs, internet history. I mean, the list goes on and on.
Speaker 1: So it's a double edged sword, right, It is more fragile, but also potentially way more revealing exactly.
Speaker 2: And this brings us back to low cards exchange principle, which is like the couinderstone of forensic science.
Speaker 1: Okay, remind me what's low cards exchange principle again.
Speaker 2: It basically states that whenever two objects interact, they leave traces on each other, right, right, So like paint transfer in a car accident, fingerprints at a crime scene. Well, in the digital world, those traces, those digital footprints, they're often even more numerous and detailed.
Speaker 1: Oh that's interesting. So every click, every download, every email, every like everything is leaving a mark somewhere.
Speaker 2: You got it. And that's why in this Fills Awesome Stuff case, Polstra really emphasizes preserving that digital crime scene as meticulously as possible.
Speaker 1: Okay, it makes sense. So let's say we're called in to investigate this compromise web server at Phill's Awesome Stuff. What are like the first things we need to keep in mind? What are the guiding principles as we start our investigation.
Speaker 2: Okay, the absolute top priority, the golden rule, is maintaining the integrity of the evidence. Think of it like this, any action you take on a compromised system. Even something small, it has the potential to change the original state. So before you even touch the system, you got to make a forensic copy of the hard drive.
Speaker 1: No, it's not just like copying and pasting files, right, we're talking about a bit for bit replica, a clone of the entire drive. Why is that so crucial.
Speaker 2: Because even something that seems harmless, like just opening a file, it can change the file's metadata at a day.
Speaker 1: That's the time stamps, that access records, all that behind the scenes stuff, you.
Speaker 2: Got it, all that juicy stuff that helps us reconstruct the what happened the timeline.
Speaker 1: So we're working on a copy to avoid messing up the original evidence exactly.
Speaker 2: And while we're preserving that evidence, we got to document every single step we take during the investigation. Makes us who accessed what, when and for what reason.
Speaker 1: Oh so that creates a chain of custody, that's.
Speaker 2: Right, the chain of custody proving that the evidence is authentic and hasn't been tampered with.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about catching the bad guy, it's about doing it in a way that's airtight, you know, like building a legal case alongside the technical investigation.
Speaker 2: Percisely.
Speaker 1: Okay, So documentation super important. Are there any other standard practices or guidelines that are like super crucial in Linux forensics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sticking to established procedures, that's super important. It's like having a recipe, you know, for your investigator.
Speaker 1: A recipe, okay, Yeah.
Speaker 2: It ensures consistency, helps you avoid makeing those silly mistakes, and makes your findings more credible in the end.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about doing things right, it's about doing them in a like a standardized, replicable way, like a scientific method, but for digital detective work exactly.
Speaker 2: And Polstra in his book he outlines these procedures. He walks you through the three main phases of a digital investigation out.
Speaker 1: There are phases.
Speaker 2: There are you got evidence preservation, which we just talked about. Then there's the searching phase where you're digging through the data for those clues. And finally event reconstruction.
Speaker 1: Event reconstruction, so you secure the scene, then you hunt for clues, and then finally you try to piece together like the narrative, what actually happened.
Speaker 2: You got it. But in practice, those phases they often overlap, you know, they kind of blur together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and see that.
Speaker 2: Like, for example, that dilemma of pulling the plug, you know, shutting down the system, right, right, that decision you often have to make that during the evidence preservation phase.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's right, because the longer the system is running, the more time the malware has to cover its tracks. But shutting it down could mean losing vital data. It's like a catch twenty two exactly.
Speaker 2: It's a tough call and there's no one size fits all answer, you know. It depends on the situation, the type of malware we're dealing with, what we're hoping to achieve.
Speaker 1: So sometimes it's a judgment call, right, weighing those risks and benefits of each action precisely.
Speaker 2: And this leads us to kind of the idea of dead versus live.
Speaker 1: Analysis, Dead versus live what's that?
Speaker 2: So? Dead analysis that's when we're examining a system that's offline.
Speaker 1: Offline, Yeah, like.
Speaker 2: Analyzing that disk imagery talked about. Live analysis, Well, that's when we're interacting with a system that's still running.
Speaker 1: Okay, So dead analysis is like studying a frozen snapshot.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, live analysis is more like observing the system in action as it's happening.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to put it. Both approaches have their you know, pluses and minuses, advantages and disadvantages. Yeah, and the choice it really depends on the goals of the investigation.
Speaker 1: Makes sense. Okay, So let's say we've decided to do some analysis. What kind of tools would we need in our digital detective kit? Ah, the tools I'm picturing like something straight out of a spy movie.
Speaker 2: Well, on the hardware side, you'll need external hard drives, you know, to store those forensic copies.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: USB three point zero is usually the best. It's fast, okay, but sometimes those older USB two point zero drives. They're better for compatibility with virtual machines, oh okay. And absolutely essential are right blockers.
Speaker 1: Right blockers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they prevent you from accidentally modifying the evidence.
Speaker 1: So it's like a safety guard for our digital evidence exactly.
Speaker 2: Think of them as like gloves for a surgeon. You know, you wouldn't operate without gloves, and you shouldn't image a drive without a right blocker.
Speaker 1: Good analogy. And you want to dedicate a forensics workstation right absolutely completely separate from the compromise system.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't want to be installing anything on the suspect machine. You got to work on a copy on a separate system to avoid any contamination.
Speaker 1: Right, makes sense, But what about software? Do we need expensive specialized tools for this?
Speaker 2: Here's the beauty of Linux forensics. There are tons of free and open source tools out there that are incredibly powerful.
Speaker 1: Oh that's awesome.
Speaker 2: And Polstra he actually includes a script in his book that installs a whole bunch of these tools automatically.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, So it's like setting up your digital forensics lab with a single command.
Speaker 2: That's the idea.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. It sounds like Linux is a great platform for this kind of work.
Speaker 2: It really is. But remember, no matter how powerful your tools are, the key is to use them responsibly ethically.
Speaker 1: Right, of course, our.
Speaker 2: Goal is to minimize disturbance to the subject system. Think of it like walking through a like a delicate crime scene. You want to leave the smallest footprint.
Speaker 1: Possible, right, So avoid installing anything on the suspect system, create that copy first, and use those tools responsibly.
Speaker 2: Got it exactly. And when it comes to discreetly gathering data, tools like net cat can be incredibly handy.
Speaker 1: Netcat that sounds like something a hacker would use.
Speaker 2: It can be used for both good and bad. But in our context, it's a way to create a secure channel between the suspect system and our workstation. We can send commands, get data back, all without leaving a trace on the compromise machine.
Speaker 1: Okay, so netcat is like our secret back door for collecting evidence. I'm starting to feel like a real digital detective here.
Speaker 2: That's the spirit.
Speaker 1: This is exciting.
Speaker 2: It's a combination of technical skills and that old fashioned detective intuition.
Speaker 1: Well said, So we've gathered our initial data, we've got our tools ready to go, and now we're about to enter the live analysis phase. Live analysis here we go, assuming of course, that we've determined there's actually an incident to investigate. Where do we even begin.
Speaker 2: One of the first things to zero in on is file metadata.
Speaker 1: File metadata, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Timestamps, permissions, ownership, all those little details can be incredibly revealing.
Speaker 1: So it's like reconstructing the story of what happened, and based on when and how files were created, modified, or accessed.
Speaker 2: You got it, and don't forget about user command history. It can give us a glimpse into what actions both legitimate users and potential attackers took on the system.
Speaker 1: Oh, right, like a trail of digital breadcrumbs exactly.
Speaker 2: And log files they are another gold mine of information system events, log in attempts, air messages, it's all there, just waiting to be analyzed.
Speaker 1: Wow. So it's like having a detailed chronicle of the system's activity.
Speaker 2: Precisely, and sometimes we need to go even deeper and capture the entire system state. That's where ram dumps come.
Speaker 1: In a ramdomp, what's that all about.
Speaker 2: It's basically creating a snapshot of everything that's in the computer's memory at a specific moment in time. It's like freezing the brain of the computer, seeing what it was thinking at that exact moment.
Speaker 1: That's impressive, but I imagine it's pretty challenging to do.
Speaker 2: It can be tricky, but there are tools designed specifically for this purpose. One of them is called line BLI me. Yeah, capturing a complete an accurate RAM dump is a delicate process, but the insights you can glean from it, they're often invaluable.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've collected that volatile data from the running system, but what about the data stored on the hard drive itself.
Speaker 2: That's where disk images come into play.
Speaker 1: Disk images creating a.
Speaker 2: Forensic image of the hard drive is crucial for preserving the evidence and ensuring we have a complete copy to work with.
Speaker 1: Right, So it's not just copying files, but creating a bit for bit replica of the entire drive.
Speaker 2: You, got it. And there are different formats for these images, like raw images. Those are exact copies, and then there are proprietary formats that offer compression or some extra features.
Speaker 1: Okay, And which tools are commonly used to create these images.
Speaker 2: DD is a classic a command line tool, but for forensics we often use DCFLTD DCLLTD. Yeah, it's basically like DD on steroids.
Speaker 1: DC LTD on steroids. That sounds intense.
Speaker 2: It's more robust, more reliable. It has features like verifying the integrity the image as it's been created and splitting it into multiple files if you need to.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's handy.
Speaker 2: And of course we always use it in conjunction with a right blocker, just to be extra careful.
Speaker 1: Right, safety first, So it's.
Speaker 2: Like having a safety net, a quality control check all rolled into one.
Speaker 1: Got it. And if possible, it's always best to image the entire drive, right, right, not just specific partitions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you never know where those valuable clues might be hiding.
Speaker 1: Makes sense. It's like searching every nook and cranny of the digital crime scene. So we've created our image, what's next.
Speaker 2: The next step is to mount the image. Mount it, yeah, which basically means making it accessible to our forensic tools as if it were a physical drive plugged into our workstation.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, so it's like virtually plugging in the hard drive and exploring its content exactly.
Speaker 2: But before we mount the image, we need to figure out its partitioning scheme.
Speaker 1: Partitioning scheme, yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: Basically how the drive is divided up into these logical sections.
Speaker 1: Oh right, right, like those C and D drives and Windows exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But Linux it uses different partitioning schemes.
Speaker 1: Oh okay.
Speaker 2: The most common ones are MBR, which is the older scheme, and then there's GP, which is newer and can handle much larger drives.
Speaker 1: Okay, so GPT is the way to go, right if we're dealing with a modern system.
Speaker 2: Ideally, yes, but for compatibility reasons, you really need to know both. Think of it, like knowing both metric and imperial measurements. Sometimes you encounter those older systems that still cling.
Speaker 1: To the old ways, right, right, So how do we figure out the partitioning scheme of our disk image?
Speaker 2: We use a tool called f disc. It's a command line utility that can analyze the drive without making any changes. Okay, kind of like a harmless X ray.
Speaker 1: So it's like reading the blueprint of the drive, seeing how it's structured and where each partition is located exactly.
Speaker 2: And once we have that information, we can use the mount command to make those specific partitions accessible for analysis.
Speaker 1: Sound straightforward enough, but I imagine it can get pretty tedious if you're dealing with a lot of partitions.
Speaker 2: You're right. That's where scripting can be a lifesaver. Polster's book shows you how to automate this whole process using Python.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: Python, Yeah, it's like having a robot assistant handling all those repetitive tasks.
Speaker 1: So we can write these Python scripts to identify the partitioning scheme, locate the partitions, and mount them all automatically exactly.
Speaker 2: It makes the whole process much more efficient and less prone to those pesky human errors. And speaking of efficiency, importing filesystem data into a database, now that can be a real game changer for analysis databases.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now I thought those were for like storing structured data like customer information or financial transactions.
Speaker 2: They are, but they can also be incredibly powerful tools for forensic analysis. Okay, imagine having this supercharged search engine for all your evidence. Instead of manually digging through those files, you can use SQL queries to pinpoint very specific information, identify patterns, generate timelines, and all much much faster.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, Okay, that's starting to sound really useful. Can you give me like a concrete example of how this might work.
Speaker 2: Sure, Let's say you suspect that someone was stealing sensitive data from Phil's awesome stuff. With a database, you could import, like the file axislogs user login records and then write a query that says, show me all the files accessed by this specific user during these specific hours, and tell me whether those files were sent over the network.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's incredibly specific. It's like having laser focus on the exact data we need exactly.
Speaker 2: And databases they allow for much more complex queries than your typical forensic tools.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about finding a needle in a haystack, it's about analyzing the whole haystack in seconds.
Speaker 2: You got it, impolster. He actually shares a real world case where those prepackaged forensic tools that were just hitting their limits and importing the data into a database, Well that's what allowed him to crack the case wide open.
Speaker 1: Wow, I'm starting to see why databases are becoming so essential in digital forensics. But let's step back for a moment and talk about timeline analysis. Timeline analysis, you've mentioned it a few times already. Yeah, how do we even go about creating a timeline of events on a compromise system? And like, how reliable is that timeline? Can we trust it?
Speaker 2: Creating a timeline it's often the key to figuring out what happened. And when we use time stamps from files, from log in records, system logs, any source we can get our hands on.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, pulling it all together.
Speaker 2: But here's the catch time stamps.
Speaker 1: They can be manipulated, so we can't just take them at face value. We need to be like skeptical exactly.
Speaker 2: Think of time stamps as clues, not absolute truths. You got to look for inconsistencies, suspicious patterns, time stamps that just don't make sense in the context of other evidence.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, like if we see a file modified before it was supposedly created, that's a red flag.
Speaker 2: Big red flag. Or if all the time stamps are like suspiciously rounded to the nearest hour, that could mean someone was trying to cover their tracks.
Speaker 1: It's like noticing that all the clocks in a suspect's house are set to the same time, even though they were supposedly set independently.
Speaker 2: That's a great analogy. And besides timestamps, another useful tool for timeline analysis is the last command. It shows a history of user logins on the system.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, so we can see who logged in, when they logged in, and even where they logged in from.
Speaker 2: You got it? And this information, combined with other log files, it can help us spot unusual log in patterns, track user activity, and potentially pinpoint the exact time frame of the security incident.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've got time stamps, timelines, and user log in records. But now I'm curious about the filesystems themselves. What makes Linux file systems unique? What are the quirks we need to be aware of from a forensic perspective.
Speaker 2: Well, the X file system it's commonly used in Linux. It has its own quirks and intricacies.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Understanding concepts like inodes, data blocks, indirect blocks, all that stuff. It's crucial for effective forensic analysis.
Speaker 1: Inodes, data blocks. It sounds like we're entering a within the hard drive.
Speaker 2: Think of it this way. The inode, that's like a file's identity card. Okay, it contains all that metadata, the timestamps, ownership permissions.
Speaker 1: So the inode tells us who the file belongs to, when it was created or modified, and what kind of access permissions it has.
Speaker 2: You've got. And the data blocks, well, that's where the actual content of the file is stored.
Speaker 1: So if we're trying to recover a deleted file, we need to find both the inode and the data blocks.
Speaker 2: You got it. And within the X filesystem there are also these things called extended attributes and access control lists. They can be used to store additional information about files.
Speaker 1: Additional information like what kind of information it could be, anything really, from security settings to user defined data.
Speaker 2: And attackers they're clever. Sometimes they exploit these features to hide data or malicious code.
Speaker 1: Oh sneaky. So it's like they're playing a digital game of hide and seek with us.
Speaker 2: Exactly, And As filesystems evolve, they introduce new features, okay, like extents, which are a more efficient way to manage large files, but they can also be more complex to analyze from a forensic standpoint.
Speaker 1: So the landscape's always changing, always presenting new challenges for both the attackers and the investigators.
Speaker 2: It is. It's a constant cat and mouse game.
Speaker 1: That's what makes this feel so exciting, right exactly.
Speaker 2: It's a constant learning process. There's always something new to discover.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've got a grasp of the basics of the X file system, but let's bring it back to your case fills awesome stuff. How did Polstra use this knowledge, this file system knowledge, to unravel the mystery of that compromised web server.
Speaker 2: Well, he used a few techniques, one of them being analyzing a RAM dump with a tool called volatility.
Speaker 1: Volatility that sounds familiar.
Speaker 2: We talked about it earlier, remember when we were discussing live analysis.
Speaker 1: Oh right.
Speaker 2: Volatility is a powerful tool. It lets us analyze the contents of RAM even after the system has been shut down. In this case, Polstry used it to uncover hidden processes and files that wouldn't have been visible through normal file system analysis.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, so it's like using x ray vision right exactly to see beneath the surface of the operating system.
Speaker 2: You got it.
Speaker 1: And he also used network traffic analysis, right, he did to kind of trace the attacker's activity, reveal those suspicious connections, maybe even backdoors.
Speaker 2: Precisely so volatility it helped him understand what was happening on the system itself, and then the network traffic analysis showed him how the attacker was interacting with the outside world.
Speaker 1: Okay, so he's putting together the pieces both internally and external exactly.
Speaker 2: And by combining those techniques, Polster was able to build a really compelling narrative of the attack, ultimately leading to the identification and apprehension of the culprit.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. This fills awesome stuff case. It's a great example of how powerful Linux forensics can be. But I feel like we've only scratched the surface here.
Speaker 2: Oh, we've just begun. There's a whole world of advanced techniques and specialized tools out there.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess that means we need to dive even deeper.
Speaker 2: Right, let's do it.
Speaker 1: But before we do, left, take a moment to recap some of the key takeaways from this first part of our investigation sounds good. What stood out to you as particularly interesting or maybe unexpected? So far?
Speaker 2: Oh, there's so much Where do we even begin.
Speaker 1: Honestly, that whole idea of shutting down a compromise system could actually be the wrong move. That was the real eye opener for me. It's counterintuitive. You think you're containing the damage, but you might actually be helping the attacker cover their tracks.
Speaker 2: It is, isn't. It's one of those things you only learned through experience or by reading Polster's book, I guess And in that Fills Awesome stuff case, he actually he emphasizes talking to the users as like one of the first steps.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting. So good old fashioned human intelligence still crucial even in a high tech cybercrime investigation.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Users can often provide insights that no amount of technical analysis can you uncover. They might have noticed something strange, like odd behavior on their computer, or recent software in stations that shouldn't be there, or even you know, potential security lapses. Things they could point us in the right direction.
Speaker 1: Right, So it's like interviewing witnesses at a crime scene. Right, they might have seen or heard something crucial that helps you piece together the puzzle precisely.
Speaker 2: And sometimes just talking to the users can quickly debunk a suspected incident. Maybe a system administrator was performing like routine maintenance and that triggered some unusual activity that was mistaken for a security breach.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, So it's always good to get the full story, all perspectives before jumping to conclusions. But what are some of the key questions we should be asking these users? Like what kind of information are we really looking for?
Speaker 2: You want to start with open ended questions? Well, if it ended, yeah, things like what makes you think there's a problem, or can you describe what you've observed? You know, encourage them to share their perspective, and that can often lead to unexpected insights.
Speaker 1: So it's about understanding their concerns and getting them to like really elaborate on what they've seen or experienced exactly.
Speaker 2: And don't underestimate the power of of you know, active listening. Pay attention to their tone of voice, body language, What details do they emphasize, what do they kind of downplay? You know, sometimes what's not said can be just as revealing as what I have said, Right.
Speaker 1: It's like reading between the lines, picking up on those subtle cues that might point you in the right direction.
Speaker 2: Right, And while you're gathering all this information, don't forget to document everything. Use a notebook, voice recorder, whatever works best for you, but make sure you have a clear and accurate record of the conversation.
Speaker 1: Right back to that crucial documentation step. But you know, taking notes on a laptop during an interview, I feel like it can be a bit distracting, both for you and the person you're talking to. It creates this barrier between.
Speaker 2: Oh, absolutely, a good old fashioned notebook, you know, pen and paper. It's often the best tool for taking notes during those interviews. It's less intrusive, you can jot down key points quickly, and it doesn't create that psychological distance that you know a laptop screen sometimes.
Speaker 1: Can, right about fostering a more natural conversation exactly.
Speaker 2: And besides all the information you gather from the users, you want to document everything you know about the subject system itself. Okay, what operating system are they running, what software is installed? Are there any known vulnerabilities?
Speaker 1: Right, So it's like building a profile, almost understanding its strengths and weaknesses before you even start digging into the.
Speaker 2: Evidence precisely, and you know, if it seems appropriate, you might even want to snap a picture of the computer and its surroundings.
Speaker 1: Oh, like a crime scene photo. But why is that necessary in a digital investigation, Well, it can provide context.
Speaker 2: Maybe there's a sticky note on the monitor with a password written on it. Oh, or the computers located in an area with like really lacks physical security. Those seemingly insignificant details, they can sometimes be incredibly revealing.
Speaker 1: It's a good reminder that physical and digital security are often like intertwined. They go hand in hand exactly.
Speaker 2: And once you've gathered all this eliminary information, you know, talk to the users documented the system. You're finally ready to start interacting with the subject system itself. But before you do, remember that golden rule of digital forensics.
Speaker 1: Minimize disturbance, right, we talked about that earlier. It's like avoiding contamination at a crime scene. Don't touch anything you don't.
Speaker 2: Have to precisely, And one way to minimize disturbance is to use what we call known good binaries.
Speaker 1: Known good binaries and what are those?
Speaker 2: They're basically trusted, verified copies of the tools we need to use during our investigation. Think of them like sterile instruments for a digital surgery.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we're not installing any potentially compromised software on the suspect machine. We're bringing our own clean.
Speaker 2: Tools exactly, these known good binaries. They're usually stored on a separate secure device, like a USB drive, and we boot the subject system from that device to perform our analysis.
Speaker 1: So we're creating a safe and controlled environment for our investigation. Yeah, isolated from the potentially compromised system.
Speaker 2: You got it. And by using those known good binaries, we can be confident that the results of our analysis are accurate and haven't been influenced by any external factors.
Speaker 1: Makes sense. But how do we go about getting these known good binaries? Do we just like download them from the internet.
Speaker 2: Well, you could, but that's not the most secure approach. Ideally, you'd build them yourself, which involves compiling the source code of the tools you need on a trusted system.
Speaker 1: Compiling source code. That sounds a little uh technical, maybe for someone who's just starting out in digital forensics, it can be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they're also pre built collections of known good binaries available from reputable sources.
Speaker 1: Oh okay.
Speaker 2: Sans Institute, for example, they offer the SIFT work Station, which is a virtual machine preloaded with a suite of forensic tools.
Speaker 1: So it's like choosing between building your own toolbox from scratch or buying a pre assembled one from a trusted supply.
Speaker 2: Exactly, And both options have their pros and cons. Building your own binaries gives you more control, you can customize it, but it requires a deeper understanding of those tools and that compilation process, right.
Speaker 1: Whereas using those pre BLOIWL binarrows is more convenient. Yeah, but then you're relying on the trustworthiness of the source exactly.
Speaker 2: So the choice really depends on your level of expertise, your budget, and the specific needs of your investigation.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense. So let's say we've got our known good binaries all set ready to go. What's next, how do we actually interact with the suspect system without contaminating it.
Speaker 2: Remember netcat, that tool we talked about. It's not just for discreetly gathering data. We can also use it to create a secure communication channel between the suspect system and our forensics workstation.
Speaker 1: Oh right, right, So we're using netcat to send commands to the Suspect system and get the output back on our workstation, all without installing anything on the target machine.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It's like having a remote control for the SUSTA spec system, allowing us to perform our analysis safely, securely.
Speaker 1: These tools are so resourceful it's like we're ma guivering our way through this investigation. But speaking of resourcefulness, you mentioned that Polster's book includes scripts to automate some of these processes. How does scripting come into play during live analysis?
Speaker 2: Scripting could be a huge time saver, and it can also help reduce errors.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: For example, you could write a script to automate the process of collecting that volatile data from the Suspect system using netcat.
Speaker 1: Oh right, So instead of manually typing out commands, copying and pasting data, you can have a script do it all for you.
Speaker 2: Exactly. We can write scripts to gather information about running processes, network connections, open files, even capture the contents of RAM, all without leaving a trace on the system itself.
Speaker 1: So scripting makes us much more efficient and thorough in our live response.
Speaker 2: Precisely, and it's a skill that's becoming honestly increasingly important in digital forensics, as the volume and complexity of data just.
Speaker 1: Keep growing, right, it's like having a superpower. Okay, so we've gathered some initial data using our known good binaries and netcat. What are some of the key things we should be on the lookout for during this initial live response phase, like what are the red flags at scream compromise.
Speaker 2: One of the first things to check, It's simple, but important, is the system's date and time settings.
Speaker 1: Okay, date and time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Attackers often mess with those to cover their tracks or to make it harder to correlate events.
Speaker 1: So it's like checking the clocks at a crime scene to see if they've been tampered with exactly.
Speaker 2: And you'll also want to gather info about the operating system, version, installed patches, any unusual software that might have been recently installed, right.
Speaker 1: So taking inventory, looking for signs of weakness exactly.
Speaker 2: And don't forget about network information, okay, check those network interfaces, active connections, open ports. This can help you identify any suspicious communication patterns or maybe backdoors that have been sneakily installed.
Speaker 1: It's like tracing the system's communication channels, right, Yeah, seeing who it's been talking to.
Speaker 2: You got it. You'll also want to examine the system's process list look for any unusual or suspicious programs that are running.
Speaker 1: So it's like taking a snapshot of the system's activity and then looking for anything out of place precisely.
Speaker 2: And you can use tools like ELSOF to see which files are currently opened by different processes, which can often reveal those hidden connections or data access patterns.
Speaker 1: It's like following the data trail, seeing which files are being touched and by whom precisely.
Speaker 2: And don't forget to examine the system's routing tables.
Speaker 1: Routing tables, yeah.
Speaker 2: They determine how network traffic is directed.
Speaker 1: Oh okay.
Speaker 2: Attackers often modify these to redirect traffic to their own servers or to create those sneaky back doors.
Speaker 1: It's like checking the road signs, making sure they haven't been altered to lead us astray exactly.
Speaker 2: You'll also want to check the system's list of mounted file systems that can reveal hidden partitions or external devices that might be harboring evidence.
Speaker 1: So we're making sure we're not missing any secret rooms in our digital crime scene.
Speaker 2: You got it. And finally, don't forget to examine the system's list of loaded kernel modules. These are basically extensions to the operating.
Speaker 1: Systeml kernel module.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and attackers sometimes use malicious kernel modules to hide their presence or to gain that privileged access thereafter.
Speaker 1: So it's like checking for unauthorized modifications to the heart of the operating system itself exactly.
Speaker 2: By carefully examining all these aspects of the system during our initial live response, we can start to get a clearer picture of what we're dealing with the potential incident and determine how to proceed with the investigation.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's quite a checklist. It sounds like there's a lot to consider during this initial phase.
Speaker 2: There is, But remember, the goal of live response isn't to do a full blown analysis. It's to gather enough information to assess the situation and make some smart decisions about those next steps.
Speaker 1: Right, So it's triage essentially, identify the key indicators of compromise and then figure out the scope of the incident precisely.
Speaker 2: And once we've gathered enough intel from our live response, we can then move on to the more in depth analysis of that disk image we created earlier.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's shift gears and talk about that process. We've created our forensic image, whether we physically remove the drive or used a live Linux distribution to do it. Now, what how do we actually start digging into the contents of that image.
Speaker 2: First step got to mount the image.
Speaker 1: Mounted.
Speaker 2: That means making it accessible to our forensic tools as if it were a physical drive plugged into our workstation.
Speaker 1: Right we talked about mounting earlier. It's like virtually plugging in the hard drive to our computer exactly.
Speaker 2: But before we mount the image, remember, we need to identify its partitioning scheme that determines how the drive sliced up into those logical sections, right, like.
Speaker 1: Those C and D drives you see in Windows. But Linux it uses its own partitioning schemes, right.
Speaker 2: You got it. The most common ones are MBR that's the older scheme, and GBT, which is more modern and can handle much larger drives.
Speaker 1: Okay, so GPTI use the way to go then if we're dealing with a more modern system.
Speaker 2: Ideally, yes, but we still need to be aware of both schemes because we might encounter those older systems that are still using MBR.
Speaker 1: Right, it's like knowing both metric and imperial measurements. You need to be able to work with.
Speaker 2: Both exactly, and to identify the partitioning scheme of our disk image, we can use a tool called f disc f.
Speaker 1: Disc okay, another command line tool. It seems like Linux forensics involves a lot of command line wizardry.
Speaker 2: It does, but f disc is actually pretty straightforward. We run it on our mounted image and it tells us whether it's MBR or GPT, and it gives us info about each partition.
Speaker 1: So it's like reading the blueprint of the hard drive, seeing how it's structured, where each partition is located exactly.
Speaker 2: And once we understand the partitioning scheme, we can then mount the individual partitions that we're interested in analyzing.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've identified the partitioning scheme using updisc and we're ready to mount the partitions. But I remember you mentioned earlier that scripting can be used to automate the process. How does that work?
Speaker 2: Well? Mounting partitions manually can be a bit tedious, especially if you're dealing with multiple partitions or complex file systems. Scripting languages like Python can really help us automate this whole process, making it way more efficient.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, so we can write these Python scripts to take care of those repetitive tasks, identifying partitions, mounting them, and even maybe performing some basic analysis.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It's like having a digital assistant taking care of all the boring stuff, freeing us up to focus on the more interesting and challenging aspects of the investigation.
Speaker 1: I can see how that would be super helpful. Scripting is like a secret weapon for digital forensics. But let's say we've mounted our partitions and now we're faced with this huge task of analyzing the data. We're talking potentially gigabytes, maybe even terabytes of information. Where do we even begin to make sense of all that?
Speaker 2: That's one of the biggest challenges in digital forensics, right the sheer volume of data we often have to deal with, and a lot of those traditional forensic tools they involve manually browsing through files and folders, which can be really time consuming, not to mention incredibly inefficient.
Speaker 1: So we need a better way, a more powerful way to search and analyze this mountain of data.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and that's where databases come into play.
Speaker 1: Databases again, I thought those were for storing like structured data, customer records, financial transactions.
Speaker 2: They are, but they can also be incredibly valuable for forensic analysis. Okay, by importing filesystem data into a database, we can use SQL queries to like really quickly search, filter, and analyze the data in ways that just aren't possible with those traditional tools.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, so it's like having this supercharged search engine for our evidence. Instead of manually digging through files, we're using SQL queries to pinpoint specific information, identify patterns, generate timelines.
Speaker 2: You got it. Imagine you're investigating a case where you suspect maybe a data breach, sensitive data way accessed, or even exfiltrate it. With the database, you could import all that relevant filesystem data, file time stamps, user log in records, network connection logs, and then use SQL queries to ask very specific questions.
Speaker 1: Like what kind of questions? Give me an example.
Speaker 2: Well, for instance, we could ask, show me all the files that were modified between these two dates, but only by users who logged in from this specific IP address.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's super specific. So we're essentially zeroing in on our search based on very precise criteria like the timeframe, user activity.
Speaker 2: Things like that decisely, and we can combine multiple criteria in our queries, making those searches, much more targeted searches that would take forever do manually.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm definitely seeing the power of databases now. But setting them up, importing all that data that sounds pretty technical.
Speaker 2: It can be, yeah, but thankfully there are these open source database systems like my sequel that are relatively easy to set up and use, and there's tons of documentation tutorials online so you don't have to be a database expit to get started.
Speaker 1: Well, that's good to know. So databases are definitely a powerful tool to have in our digital forensics arsenal. But let's shift focus back to the analysis itself. We've talked about time stamps building timelines, but how much can we really rely on those timestamps as evidence? I mean, can we trust them completely?
Speaker 2: That's a great question. Time stamps they are super useful for establishing a chronology of events, but we always have to remember they can be manipulated by attackers.
Speaker 1: So we can't just take them at face value exactly.
Speaker 2: We need to view them as clues, not as you know, the absolute truth, and we need to be on lookout for any inconsistencies or suspicious patterns that might suggest tampering.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what are some of the red flags we should be looking for when we're analyzing timestamps.
Speaker 2: Well, timestamps that are way out of sync with other system logs or external time sources. That's a big one, right.
Speaker 1: So if a file's timestamp says it was modified at you know, three PM, but the system clock was off by an hour, that's a problem exactly.
Speaker 2: And another red flag is when time stamps are suspiciously rounded, like to the nearest minute or hour. It's a little too perfect.
Speaker 1: Usually, right, it does seem a bit too convenient.
Speaker 2: It does. And you should also watch out for identical timestamps across multiple files that were supposedly created or modified in different times.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, Yeah, it's like finding several documents on a suspect's computer that all claim to have been created at the exact same second. That's not very likely exactly.
Speaker 2: And finally, be wary of time stamps that have been altered to pre date known events or to create this false timeline of activity.
Speaker 1: So the attacker is essentially trying to rewrite history to fit their narrative.
Speaker 2: Pcisely by carefully scrutinizing those timestamps, and corroborating them with other evidence sources, we can reduce the risk of being misled by attack or deception.
Speaker 1: Okay, so timestamps useful, but handle with care. What about other techniques for establishing a timeline? Are there any other logs or records we can look at?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? One handy tool is the last command. It shows a history of user logins on the system, tells us who logged in when and from where.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, so we can see if there were any unauthorized logins or if someone logged in from a suspicious location exactly.
Speaker 2: And by analyzing the output of last alongside those other log files like WTMP and BTMP, we can create this comprehensive timeline of user activity on the system.
Speaker 1: WTP and BTP those sound familiar.
Speaker 2: We talked about them earlier.
Speaker 1: Oh that's right, that's right. WTMP stores records of successful logins and BTM stores records of those failed login attempts.
Speaker 2: You got it.
Speaker 1: So. BTMP is especially helpful for identifying like brute force attacks or other attempts to gain unauthorized access exactly.
Speaker 2: And remember, these system files can be rotated or archived, so you might need to examine multiple files to get a complete picture of that login activity.
Speaker 1: It's like piecing together a historical record from multiple.
Speaker 2: Sources precisely, and by combining information from all these different sources, we can really start to paint a much more complete picture of what happened on that compromise system.
Speaker 1: Okay, we've covered timestamps, timelines, user login records. Now I'm curious to dig a bit deeper into the filesystems themselves. What are some of the unique challenges and opportunities that Linux filesystems present for you know, a digital forensics investigator.
Speaker 2: Well, the X filesystem, which is used a lot in Linux, it's got its own specific structure and its own features that we need to be aware of. Okay, Understanding concepts like you know, inodes, data blocks, indirect blocks, that stuff. It's crucial for doing good forensic analysis.
Speaker 1: Inodes, data blocks, indirect blocks. It's like we're going down a level exploring those building blocks of the filesystem itself.
Speaker 2: Think of it this way. The inode, it's like a files identity card. Okay, it holds metadata about the file. It's time, scams, owner permissions.
Speaker 1: Size, So the inode tells us who the file belongs to when it was created or modified, and what kind of access permissions it has you got it?
Speaker 2: And the data blocks that's where the actual content of the file is stored.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we're trying to say, recover a deleted file, we need to find both the inode and the data blocks exactly.
Speaker 2: And within the excale system there are also these features like extended attributes and access control lists. They can be used to store additional information about.
Speaker 1: Those files, additional information what kind of information it could be, anything really, from security settings to user defined data.
Speaker 2: And sometimes attackers, those crafty attackers, they exploit these features to hide data, to hide malicious code.
Speaker 1: Oh sneak.
Speaker 2: It makes it harder for us to find what we're looking for. It's like playing hide and seek, right. And as file systems evolve, they introduce new features.
Speaker 1: Like extens extense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're more efficient way to manage those large files, but they can also be more complex to analyze from a forensic perspective.
Speaker 1: So the landscape is constantly evolving, presenting new challenges for both the attackers and the investigators exactly.
Speaker 2: And that's one of the things that keeps digital forensics so interesting. Yeah, it's a constant learning process. There's always something new to discover, new techniques to learn.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of new discoveries in that fills awesome stuff case.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how did.
Speaker 1: Polstra use his knowledge of the x file system to actually uncover evidence of the attack?
Speaker 2: He used a few different techniques. One was analyzing a RAM dump with volatility.
Speaker 1: Volatility, didn't we talk about that earlier when we were discussing live analysis I did.
Speaker 2: Volatility is a powerful tool. It lets us analyze the contents of RAM even after the system has been powered off. In this case, he used it to uncover hidden processes and files that weren't showing up in the regular filesystem analysis.
Speaker 1: So it's like we're using x ray vision to peer beneath the surface of the operating system exactly.
Speaker 2: And he also used network traffic analysis uh huh to track the attacker's movements, uncovered some suspicious connections, maybe even backdoors.
Speaker 1: So volatility was helping him see what was happening on the system itself. And then network traffic analysis showed how the the attacker was interacting with the outside world precisely.
Speaker 2: And by putting those two together, Polster was able to create a compelling narrative of the attack led to the identification and the capture of the culprit.
Speaker 1: Wow. Impressive work. Okay, so we've covered a lot of ground in the steep dive. We've talked about the importance of preserving evidence, those key steps and live response, the power of scripting and databases, and the challenges of timeline analysis and filesystem forensics. What else is there anything else you want to share before we move on to the final part of our investigation.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a whole world of you know, more advanced technique, specialized tools. We haven't even scratched the surface. Oh yeah, But I think the most important takeaway, the thing I really want to emphasize is that Linitz forensics it's not just about technical skills. It's also about mindset, minds.
Speaker 1: Okay, what do you mean by that.
Speaker 2: It's about being curious, skeptical, methodical. It's about approaching each investigation with an open mind, you know, being willing to challenge your assumptions, always be on the lookout those subtle clues that might lead you to the truth.
Speaker 1: So it's like you've got to be a digital detective, constantly piecing together the puzzle, one clue at a time, exactly and.
Speaker 2: With the right tools, the right techniques, and the right mindset, well you can uncover even the most cleverly hidden digital crimes.
Speaker 1: Well said, But before we get too carried away with our detective work, let's take a quick moment to recap some key takeaways from this second part of our investigation. What really stood out to you as particularly interesting or unexpected in this section?
Speaker 2: For me, it was definitely the idea of using databases for forensic analysis. It just clicked. Why spend hours sifting through files manually when you can have the computer do the heavy lifting for you.
Speaker 1: Right, It's like it's a total game changer, and it shows how digital forensics is always evolving, always borrowing techniques from other fields and adapting them to the unique challenges of you know, cybercrime investigation exactly.
Speaker 2: So, it's not enough to just be a tech wizy days. You also need to be a bit of a database guru, a scripting ninja, and maybe even a psychologist to understand how these attackers think and operate. It's true, and speaking of attackers, one of the things that never ceases to amaze me is how they're always finding new ways to cover their tracks to obfuscate their code. It's a constant challenge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like a never ending arms race with both sides constantly upping their game. You mentioned earlier, there's a whole whirl of advanced techniques and tools that we haven't even touched on.
Speaker 2: Oh, we barely scratch the surface.
Speaker 1: Can you give us a little glimpse into what lies beyond the basics?
Speaker 2: Sure. One area that's becoming increasingly important is file hashing. It's a technique that lets us identify known good or bad files by comparing their unique digital fingerprints against massive databases.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's like a fingerprint database, but for files. We can quickly flag suspicious ones or verify the integrity of files we know are good.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and this is especially useful when you're dealing with huge amounts of data.
Speaker 1: Oh I bet what else?
Speaker 2: Then there's the world of reverse engineering, where we use tools like obs, dumps, strays, GDB, all kinds of tools to dissect malicious code and understand how it behaves.
Speaker 1: So we're taking apart the attackers tools, figuring out how they work and what they were designed to do. That sounds pretty advanced, though, do you need to be like a coding expert for that.
Speaker 2: It definitely helps to have a solid understanding of programming concepts. But there are resources out there to help investigators get up to speed with reverse engineering techniques and the insights you gain from analyzing malicious code. Those can be incredibly valuable in understanding the attackers motives, their methods, their capabilities.
Speaker 1: It's like getting inside the mind of the criminal exactly.
Speaker 2: The more we understand how attackers operate, the better we could defend against them.
Speaker 1: Makes sense, So file hashing, reverse engineering just a couple of examples of those advanced techniques using Linux forensics. But where can someone go to learn more about this stuff? Any resources you'd.
Speaker 2: Recommend absolutely online communities like Reddit, specialized forums. Those are great places to connect with other enthusiasts and experts. You could share knowledge, ask questions, get help. Sans Institute they offer excellent training courses and certifications in digital forensics covering both Windows and Linux environments.
Speaker 1: So it's like joining a global network of digital detectives all working together to fight cybercrime.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to put it. And the thing about the digital forensics community is people are so willing to share their knowledge, help each other out. It's very collaborative.
Speaker 1: That's fantastic. So for anyone listening who's thinking about, you know, diving deeper into this world, there are definitely resources out there to help you get.
Speaker 2: Started, absolutely, and I think the most important thing is to just stay curious, keep learning, and never be afraid to ask questions.
Speaker 1: Well said, this deep dive has been an incredible journey into the world of Linux forensics. I have to admit I'm feeling pretty inspired to put on my digital detective hat and start solving some cyber mysteries myself.
Speaker 2: That's the spirit.
Speaker 1: And remember the skills you learn in digital forensics, they're not just applicable to investigating cybercrime, right, they can also be valuable for incident response, data recovery. Oh absolutely, even just you know, understanding how computer systems work at a much deeper level.
Speaker 2: It's all connected.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about catching the bad guys. It's about really understanding the digital world around us and using that knowledge to make it a safer, more secure place for everyone.
Speaker 2: Goodness said it better myself, and.
Speaker 1: Who knows, maybe one day you'll be the one writing the next great book on Linux forensics. Sharing your knowledge and inspiring others to join this amazing field.
Speaker 2: Maybe you will. You seem to have an act for it.
Speaker 1: Well. On that note, I think it's time to wrap up our deep dive for today, but before we go, any final words of wisdom for our listeners who are eager to continue their digital detective journey.
Speaker 2: Remember, knowledge is power, but it also comes with responsibility. Use those skills you'll learn ethically, responsibly, and always strive to make the digital world a safer place for everyone.
Speaker 1: Well said, and be sure to check the show notes for links to all those resources we mentioned today. Until next time, happy investigating,