Speaker 1: Generalin with the work ash today cold twenty two for the high with cloudy sky, slick roads. I'm sure Chuck will address that momentarily. Over night low of thirteen with clouds, high thirty tomorrow, flood a morning ends at one thirty. There'll be some sun tomorrow as well, down to thirteen. Every night with clouds and a clear Saturday going up to thirty seven thirteen. Now Here is Chuck on traffic.
Speaker 2: From the uc GOT Traffic Center. You see healthy find comprehensive care that's so personal it makes your best tomorrow possible. That's boundless care for better outcomes. Expect more at ucehealth dot com. Problems southbound seventy five continue. The highway shut down at Paddock due to an early morning accident near the lateral tad. Traffic backs through Lachland. Now northbound seventy five is shut down due to an accident before you get to Tylers, though, and traffic is backing up through Westchester. Chuck Ingram on fifty five KR see the talk station.
Speaker 1: Hey twenty nine fifty five KRCD talk station Heaby Friday Eve real quick here shout out to vets and brus Mattha Maris goes out and buys veterans beers ten dollars donation and buys a veteran a beer, and the balance goes to a wonderful organization called Patriots Landing. He's raised almost twenty one thousand dollars through your donations for Patriots Landing about thirty four hundred plus beer. So it's a great organization. They're going to be at Cartridge Brewery tonight music Beers for Veterans. The event kicks off at five and last till nine, and a whole bunch of other veteran organization is going to be there as well. So Cartridge Breweries on Granden Road on fourrand, show up, buy a veteran a beer, or if you're a veteran, go ahead and enjoy a free beer. Welcome back. iHeartMedia aviation expert, my dear friend Jay Ratliff. It's always a pleasure to have you on the show.
Speaker 3: Hey, I love all the veteran support things that you have, so I appreciate that I'm not a beer drinker, but I love hearing it.
Speaker 1: Well, you could buy a beer for a veteran, you don't have to drink, you know.
Speaker 3: Well, I would buy more than one for a fac But yes, those men and women allowed me to do what I do and I'll.
Speaker 4: Forever be thankful.
Speaker 1: Amen, brother, absolutely, Well, let's get the latest on this Delta Toronto crash. I finally got to see the video of that and what the hell happened. I was just wondering all day long when it first was reported and I saw photographs of the plane on its back, I'm like, how in the hell did it get on its back? But when you watch the video, you see that was it the wind. I know there's some speculation that was like a wind shear coming across the from the west side and the plane was what landing south to north or north to south. I don't know. You explained it.
Speaker 4: Well, the.
Speaker 3: First thing I look at any time we got a situation like this is the weather. Did the weather perhaps have a contributing contribute to whatever took place? And here we were dealing with crosswinds thirty to forty miles an hour, which aircraft can handle. It's a bit problematic, but nothing that today's flight cruise can't handle. They normally increase their approach speed just a bit to offset what they're going to be dealing with. On the crosswind and they go through the normal the process. I saw the video though, and it shocked me because I'm thinking, Okay, I understand you have a slightly increased speed on arrival, but the angle that the aircraft comes into the runway and the speed on which it comes in. Matthew Buckley, who was a fighter pilot, I heard him quoted on a news feed this week. He said that was an aircraft carrier landing, and I thought that was the perfect way to phrase it, because typically when an aircraft comes in right before you have the touchdown, what the crew tends to do is to pull the nose up just a bit. They flared up, so just like you remember the space shield of landing, the rear gears come down first and then slowly the front rotates down to where the landing gear touches down. Here, all three seemed to almost hit the same time and at such a speed that it looked like the force of that could have caused and I'm not sure because the investigation is just beginning. The right rear landing gear to collapse. So once you have the right landing gear collapse, everything shifts to the right. Yeah, You then have the wing that comes ripped off of the aircraft. It may have been the landing gear helped to take the wing off, we don't know. And then you've still have the left wing that's on the aircraft, that's still doing what it's supposed to be doing fine. So what happens was absent a white absent right wing. You now see the aircraft turn, it pivots up and comes around to where it's on its top. Now, one of the things I'm glad for it is that the fuel that was in the right wing was detached and was trailing the fuselage.
Speaker 4: That was.
Speaker 3: Definitely a miracle there, because you had jet fuel. Aviation has gone everywhere, and that part that was on fire and of course there's always the fear of explosion, and it was separated from the aircraft, which was good, And the entire interior of the aircraft did exactly what it should have. The fuselage remained intact. The seats which have been totally and completely upgraded over the decades, which now I think they're rated for sixteen g's of force, they didn't go anywhere. You had everybody hopefully strapped in as they should have been. You have fire retardant materials inside the aircraft. Again, because we've learned over the years and we've made things safer. That aircraft in that accident was probably the poster child for everything that the NTSB has been able to do over the last thirty forty years and constantly learning from every accident in their accident, so every aspect of aircraft aviation we can make safer. And then of course you had the flight attendants do an incredible job getting people out of the aircraft. Remember, the easiest thing to do is to throw open that door to get everybody out. The problem is you're inverted. So had they not remembered to disengage the emergency slides, you open that door and all they're gonna do is drop again. These flight attendants, I cannot brag on their training enough.
Speaker 4: You've got all of this going on. It was happening in seconds.
Speaker 3: They're getting everybody off the aircraft and they did their typical great job. And you know, it reminded me because they're calling this a miracle in Toronto. It was twenty years ago we had a miracle in Toronto. An Air France flight comes in lands Long.
Speaker 4: Hits Hard.
Speaker 3: Kind of a similar situation here plane breaks apart, catches on fire, three hundred and nine people on board.
Speaker 4: The plane's about to explode.
Speaker 3: Now to board three hundred and nine people. It takes you forty.
Speaker 4: Five minutes or so.
Speaker 3: The flight attendant's got everybody off in less than ninety seconds. Airplane blows up, no fatalities. You look at the images of air France three POT fifty eight a Google image, and aircraft is completely burnt, totally.
Speaker 4: It's gone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you're thinking, good lord, did anybody survive? Everyone survived. The flight attendants did a great job, you know. And we know that because of all the people who felt compelled before they got out of the aircraft to video everything that was going on, because look, I'm upside down. The airplane may be on fire, of course, and I'm going to video what's going on now. I'm gonna get my butt off that airplane. But some people thought videoing it was I might get alike here, Yeah, let's.
Speaker 1: Do it and then go and then change my underwear. Honestly, Oh my lord.
Speaker 3: It's just these people. I just yes, people die. I'm gonna get next to a buffalo. I'm gonna love this cliff.
Speaker 1: It just well, we refer to that as you know, the the Darwin theory of evolution, you're the survival of the fittest. We'll bring Jay back. We got several more things to talk about with our heart Media Aviation Expert Jay Rath. If we're gonna do that, just hang on fifty five KRC. My name is Kyle Tigisim. It's a thirty nine. If you've got kir CD talk station, it's Thursday. It's I heard Media avah nextpert Jay rat left time and Jay have of pivoting over to Trump and his firing of FAA employees, and everyone seems to want to blame him for every airplane disaster it's out there. When Donald Trump wasn't around, it didn't have anything to do with it, but he didn't get rid of some FAA employees and apparently looking to upgrade the FAA flight system because what it's a legacy system for like the nineteen fifties or something.
Speaker 3: Right, Oh, you're being kind, but yes, at least the nineteen fifties, and you and I've talked about the need for upgrading that system. Incredible. It's to use the word upgrade is an insult to the word upgrade. It's just it needs to be blown up and redone. So President Trump can bring in the SpaceX people that can land a rocket. I think that they can figure out a way to upgrade significantly what we.
Speaker 4: Have with the air traffic control system.
Speaker 3: And I'm incredibly excited because of all the presidents we've had for the last twenty thirty forty years, you've heard many of them talk about the need for devoting the necessary resources and to get things improved as much as possible. At the Federal Aviation Administration, rarely does it happen.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: We've had a few projects next gen tracking system that has been so decades behind schedule, so far over costs, it's been ridiculous. But the idea of getting this kind of attention now thrills me because if they can attack it like the Manhattan Project, knock it out in two or three years, and come out with something that's state of the art, it means that even if we have air traffic controllers that are working shorthanded as we are across the country, let's at least give them the state of the art technology. Let's make it as easy on them as we can to do their jobs, which of course, is just going to make everything that much more safe.
Speaker 4: And of course, when Donald Trump comes.
Speaker 3: Out and fires four hundred or three hundred people from the FAA, that's what everybody's screaming about. And you know, they asked the Delta CEO at Bastion this week I think it was yesterday about that very point, and he just shrugged it off. He said, look, you know about three or four hundred people. They were probationary employees, none of them air traffic control, none of them in a critical support position. And yeah, it was just part of all the trimming that's taking place right now.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: I'll be the first to admit the optics look horrible, but the bottom line is the idea that these were air traffic controllers and you know, individual no, they were probationary employees. A lot of them are being interviewed and you would think they were the head of the FAA, but that's not the case. So what we have as as far as the situation here is if we can get everything upgraded and we can devote more time in getting a non DEI approach to air traffic controllers, I think we're going to be in good shape because it was a number of years ago. The FAA wanted to be more inclusive. Nothing wrong with that, but they significantly lowered the standards for us bringing in individuals from a qualification standpoint, and that's where I have my issue. I don't care about anybody's whatever. I just want to make sure that they're the most qualified individual, male, female, whatever for that position. And as long as that's the focus, then that's great. I don't want to have a DEI policy like United wants for pilots where they want twenty percent of their pilots hired to be women or minorities. That's a great goal, but to have that stated means you're going to say no to very qualified people to bring in less qualified people. And even though some will say, well, that's not a downgrade and safety because they're all qualified. Look, if I've got an attorney as fifty years experience versus woman that's got ten years experience, I know which one I want to go with.
Speaker 4: Problem.
Speaker 1: You are right on that. All right, let's move over.
Speaker 3: There was another uh and Brian, excuse me, I I do have an attorney question for you. Yeah, the Delta Airlines is coming out offering the people on the Toronto Flame, thirty thousand.
Speaker 4: Dollars, no strings attached.
Speaker 3: And the thought is it would not prevent you from further lawsuits or anything you want to do legally down the road. I want to trust Delta to do this, I really do, because it's such a nice gesture.
Speaker 4: But I would.
Speaker 3: Wonder, from your hat and your experience, what would you think about somebody taking that thirty thousand dollars from Delta.
Speaker 1: Well, if it didn't come with strings attached, because I would figure that they would have a well a settlement agreement form pre prepared that by signing on the dotted line and accepting thirty thousand dollars, you agree to release and Delta from all further liability. But if they're just saying here, I don't know that can necessarily impact it. Accept at trial when you were asking for your damages, and Delta's attorneys, if you have to go through the trial process, would say, well, it needs to be reddet We did give you third thousand dollars, right, so you're part of your pain and suffering or your economic damages or whatever has already been reduced by that amount. So but since you're talking about you know theoretical numbers like how much do you get for pain and suffering and emotional damage? What does that that figure really even mean? So it's a random figure that a jury might award you that you're going to be reduced by a thirty thousand dollars amount of okay whatever. Maybe the jury gave the guy thirty thousand dollars more than he really even needed. I don't know. Okay, it's like out the.
Speaker 3: Idea that you would be comfortable with. It makes me feel better about it because, you know, sadly, in my career there were times I had to deal with individuals that survived plane crashes, some that were the sole survivors of commercial crashes. And I'm thrilled that everybody survived, but we would be remiss it not remembering that the emotional stress that these individuals went through is going to be something that for many of them, they're going to be living with and coping with for the rest of their life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like a decision to never fly again because I almost died, I can understand that a lot. Yeah, let's pause. We're going to talk about the other midair collision between the General Aviation airplanes and then also a word or two about breaking wheelchairs plus hub delays. One more with Jay Ratliff, Hang around fifty five car the talk station. One more time for the nine weather forecast twenty two for the high today with clouds over night, little thirteen with clouds thirty with some sun tomorrow and the floodbarning ending at one thirty, partly cloudie overnight with a little thirteen Saturday clearing up and a high thirty seven thirteen degrees Right now, Time for final traffic chuck from the UCL Tramping Center.
Speaker 2: You see health go find comprehensive care that's so personal it makes your best tomorrow possible. That's boundless care for better outcomes. Expect more hot you seehealth dot com. Northbound seventy five is shut down. That's Cincinnati Dton Road due to an accident. Went back to traffic through Westchester. Southbound seven five closed at Paddock due to an early morning wreck. There's an accident in northbound seventy one and fighter ingraman fifty five tiers.
Speaker 1: The talk station a forty eight fift five krcdtalk station. One more time with I Heart Media Avace expert Jay Ratliff, and what's the story on the two planes that flew into each other.
Speaker 3: Jay, you know, anytime we have a general aviation accident, now it's going to make front lines.
Speaker 4: Yeah, headlines. It normally doesn't.
Speaker 3: Sadly, we might have eight or ten people every week that die in general aviation accidents. So when we had these two planes collide in outside of Tucson nowt about twenty five miles outside of Tucson at a regional airport, it just raises everybody's concern over flying.
Speaker 4: But one of them.
Speaker 3: Was Assessina and those that have flown in Assessin and ohs the wings over your head, the blind spot is above you. And the other airplane involved was an aircraft that was a low wing, the kind you step onto the wing and then jump in to the end of the interior of the airplane where the blind spot is underneath. And Brian, we had a situation here in Cincinnati a number of years ago, and we've had them around the country where you have this type of scenario where the cessna can't see above it and the other airplane can't see below it, And there's times that they occupy the same airspace collide and sometimes fatalities occur and I suspect that's what probably happened here. They do not have an air traffic control tower at this Minera Regional Airport. They've been approved for one, but they're five years behind. COVID really set them back. So you had pilots that were in essence talking to everyone as they were doing what they were doing. And again, we just had two airplanes that were in the wrong position here, at least one of them. And you know, the NTSB will find out why. But remember, we'll have four or five, maybe six hundred fatalities every year on general aviation. So in the sixteen years we went without an accident here in the United States, commercially, there were probably seven to eight nine thousand fatalities on general aviation. So wow, it's it's a norm. So I'm just trying to keep things in proper perspective so people don't think we're having more planes swallow of the guy now than we've ever had, because that simply wouldn't be an accurate statement.
Speaker 1: Well, my dad had a pilot's license. He hadn't flown since I think before I was since I was before I was born, but he knew aviation and he knew the concepts and everything. Anyway, when they were in Alaska and doing one of those you know, flyover Alaska airplane kind of deals, and he called the pilot's attention to a very close aircraft, you know, said he two o'clock, two o'clock, and maybe avoided a collision because they're just flying around doing sight seeing. Well, I think it was only a couple weeks later in the news, and it's the reason he brought the story up. Two of them flew into each other up there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yep, it happens, and it's happening less now because we have technology that continues to improve and a lot more of a situational awareness on the training side. But sadly, you have a lot of people that are pilots that are trying to increase the number of their flight hours so they can qualify to become commercial pilots. They're flying some of these smaller tour type airplanes and they don't have quite the experience that we would like them to have, and sadly sometimes mistakes take place.
Speaker 1: All right, Moving over to breaking wheelchairs, this is a thing.
Speaker 3: Well airlines have made it a thing because over the last several years they have broken loss delayed all kinds of wheelchairs to the point that the Biden administration lasts fall through. The Department of Transportation came out with a ruling that said, look, airlines are responsible for the handling of wheelchairs and disabled passengers because Brian, when you have a situation where someone is unable to walk, they have to be carried on and off the aircraft, and the airline doesn't have an aisle chair, the smaller narrow thing you put a person on, getting them off their wheelchair in the jet bridge and then taking back to Road ten or something. Some airlines don't have those at the gate like they're supposed to, even though they have advanced warning, and some passengers have been forced to crawl out of the airplane so they can be then placed into their wheelchair. So the Biden administration, to their credit, said, look, when this type of thing's happened, it's an automatic violation of the Federal air Carrier Access Act, which makes perfect sense. So the airlines were held to a higher standard. Well, now that we have a different administration, and now that they've already had a victory in court over the fee disclosures on reservations, the airlines for the lobbying group for the airlines or back in court representing five airlines who are challenging this thing. It's not exactly fair for us to have this kind of thing imposed on us, and they're looking for it to be thrown out the window. Now, I suspect, and I really want to be wrong here, they're going to get their way and it's going to disappear. Because this is a very friendly airline friendly administration, as every other administration has been before. Other than for whatever the reason, the bid administration went after airlines unlike any that I've ever seen. In the last two years, airlines have been held accountable in ways that I love because finally they're being held to standards, not from a safety standpoint, but from a customer service standpoint, being forced to provide better service.
Speaker 4: So I'll keep an.
Speaker 3: Eye on this one and I'll let you know, but I suspect that surprise, this one will probably be thrown out the window. Where airlines are no longer required to have specific requirements when they lose or damage the wheelchair, many of which that are personally made. You just can't put somebody in a wheelchair that's in a wheelchair because sometimes for medical reasons. The wheelchair they have it has to be specially designed so to misplace one, lose one for ten, twelve, twenty four to thirty six hours. Yeah, puts that individual in incredible pain and suffering while they're waiting for the airline to get their act together to get the wheelchair that they have lost, which should be a priority, you know, returned to the customer.
Speaker 1: Fair enough on that. And finally, how.
Speaker 4: Many times damage once it gets there?
Speaker 1: Brian, I'm sorry to laugh about that, but that comes from shock. It's that, it is, it is. How about finally we end on hub delays.
Speaker 3: If you're flying today Salt Lake City, Philadelphia, d C, and Charlotte, looks like those hubs are gonna have weather delays that could approach an hour other than that to other places around the country.
Speaker 4: Should be a pretty good day to fly.
Speaker 1: Sounds great. I heard media aviation expert Jay rattle Iff love having you on my show every Thursday. We'll do it again next Thursday, and of course between now and then, have a fantastic week and weekend. Eight fifty five folks, if you have k City Talk station, couldn't listen to Ken Cobra FLP President, they got a problem City of Cincinnati's emergency communications responder programs, civilians showing up when cops should show up. Challenging. Yeah, Ohio State Representative Jennifer Grows on medicaid a variety of different things and points on that really important to hear her conversation with me, and I recommend you do. At fifty five carsa dot Com, Donovan and Neil protecting prosperity and the Trump tax cuts got a big event at the farm Next week the details of fifty five carsa dot Com. Get a copy of Michael Walsh's book, A Rage to Conquer Twelve Battles that Change the course of Western History. Fifty five krs dot Com. Thanks as always to executive producer Joe Stracker for doing what he does each and every day. Tune in tomorrow for Tech Friday with Dave Hatter among other guests, and have a great day and took away. Colen Beck is up next, covering Trump's first one hundred days.
Speaker 2: Every day we stand on the verge of the four greatest years in American history.
Speaker 1: Fifty five krs The talk station