Speaker 1: Welcome to Podcast UFO. I'm Martin Willis, your host. Before we begin a quick look at what's coming up next week. On Tuesday at APM Eastern, my guest will be Yell trained philosopher Christopher Noel, and he's going to be talking about UFOs and consciousness, which I still don't understand. Then, on Thursday at APM Eastern, will be joined by the legendary UFO researcher Shock Vala. Also be sure to visit podcastufo dot com for this week's fascinating blog by Charles Lear, a nineteen eighty eight report of a UFO landing on frozen Lake Erie. Charles always dives into these great historical cases, so check that out over at podcastufo dot com. Tonight's guest is Matthew Bowman, Professor of History and Religion at Claremont Graduate University, where he also holds the Howard W. Hunter Chair of Mormon Studies. He is the author of several books, including the Abduction of Betty and Barney Hill And that was published by Yale University Press in twenty twenty three. Because of scheduling issues, I had to pre record this with Matthew Bowman.
Speaker 2: This afternoon.
Speaker 1: Ronnie LeBlanc, our guest for this week, canceled at the last minute yesterday, and this program was originally scheduled to be airing on Thursday, but I will be live tonight in the chat room and participating with all you that are watching this live.
Speaker 2: If you'd like.
Speaker 1: An ad free experience on audio, all you have to do is go to podcastufo dot com, go to our Patreon page, and for two dollars or more a month, you can get the audio ad free for any media player. Thank you all, and I'm ready to bring in our guests.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Matt, thank you so much. I'm glad to be here.
Speaker 1: Yes, so I have to ask you before we get started. You have very interesting background, first of all, and there's I don't know if you've looked into this topic how deeply, but that there's people out there like the professor Diana Posolka. Are you familiar with Yeah, yes, yeah, So there's a you know, there's a connection. There seems to be a connection between religion and the UFO topic. And sometimes I feel as though there's a need for someone. I like the idea of there being something else out there. Myself I know it's hard to get the proof of that, but I think I.
Speaker 2: Feel like we're heading in that direction.
Speaker 1: But I have to ask you, what are your thoughts in general about, say, the UFO topic and the possibility of other life if out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'm glad you brought up Diana, and as well Jeff Cripel, who is another friend of mine. I think a lot of people in the academy who study UFOs are people from religious studies, right. I think there is a sort of affinity there because people who do religious studies are really interested in the kinds of questions that you bring up, Questions really about human experience, right, and how we categorize the things that happened to us, how we label and explain those sorts of things. And one of the fundamental ideas I think of exploration of the phenomenon, as some folks call it, goes all the way back to Jacques Plais, right, who said that we might see, say, a fiery ball in the sky, and if you lived a thousand years ago, you might say that fiery ball in the sky is an angel. If you lived two thousand years before that, you might say it's a demon or a ghost, But today we're more inclined to say it's technology because we live in a technological world. We live in a world science is the dominant paradigm by which we explain things. And that's the sort of thing that people who study religious studies are really interested in. Right, how do we account for the things that seem strange or anomalist? Because and this goes to the question that you just asked me, I think things that seem strange or anomalists are all around us. Everyone experiences them all the time. It's extraordinarily common to have things that you cannot otherwise explain happen to you. And the question is what sort of language do you use to try to make sense of that thing? Do you use the language of science? Do you use the language of religion? And that's the thing that really interests me, Right, how do we decide what language we use is to explain the stranger the anomalists. That's the kind of thing that I am interested in studying. And I think that certainly in Diana's book American Cosmic is very much about this sort of thing as well.
Speaker 1: I have developed this thought over the more I've looked at this topic, and other things, but mostly the and I try to look at it in a real balanced way, but I have the feeling that we really do not really know a lot about what's going on around us. I think that there's some weird things. We have this certain spectrum we can see in and our senses and things like that, but I feel like there's weird things going on that we have no clue we're.
Speaker 2: Among these things that happened.
Speaker 1: I've had some unusual things happen in my life that I have no explanation for. One of them was my UFO sighting that got me involved in this, but there's been other a few other things that have happened that, wow, no explanation that can figure out no matter how I try, even if it could be scientific, I don't know how one thing happened that could have happened in any type of possible way. So I know that through the ages we always turn to, you know, like religions. It would explain a lot of the things that happened and the miracles and these type of things because we had no other explanation for it. Good exact sample as that I think it was in the sixteenth century, there was what they think was a super nova occurrence that was all of a sudden the bright light in the sky, and of course they thought it was religion had explanations for that that type of thing.
Speaker 3: This is something I'll tell my students a lot right when I'm teaching religious studies classes in the history of religion, and I'll give them, for instance, the experiences of someone like Joan of arc Right, who heard voices, who saw angels, And I'll put out to my students this thing is actually quite common in almost all societies other than the modern West, even today in Latin America and in Africa and the global South. People take it simply as a matter of course that there are in fact supernatural creatures in the world. The possessions are possible, the visions are come right, and so these kinds of experiences that we today would judge as a nominalists are strange, are actually quite common throughout the course of human And the only question is, then, how do we, as I said before, how do we explain them? What language do we use to try to bring them into the world that we already live in, the world that we can make sense. And for some people that is the language of religion. You see that today. I think with UFO. JD. Van's, the vice president, a few months ago, told an interviewer that he believed that these strange things in the sky are demons, which I think makes sense coming from the Catholic tradition that he has embraced. There's a long kind of tradition of that sort of thing. But other people will say, no, they are not demons. They are simply spacecraft. They are not, unlike the Apollo eleven mission, just another civilization built them in another putet and flew them here. That's simply another way of bringing these things into language that makes sense to us, that we can understand. But as you say, I think, and this is the thing that really fascinates me about the UFO as kind of an object of study, UFOs cross all these boundaries. Cannot contain them in science, you cannot contain them in religion, and that shows how we humans build these categories. We create the language of science and use it to explain the world. But the language of science always bumps up against walls, and it cannot explain it's on the other side of that wall. The same is true, I think for many religious traditions as well. And I think you are breaking down these boundaries all the time, and they force us to see how artificial those boundaries are in the first place.
Speaker 1: Well, you think about our history, our human history, but it only goes back to what we know. What is it, six thousand years of written history, So you think about it in that way, makes you wonder how things were one hundred thousand years ago, or through human development and whatever types of societies that were being built back then. It's too bad that we can't understand any of those past thoughts and any type of documentation or any type of way, but it makes you wonder throughout the development of humankind what happened along those lines, because I do believe that I think what people are seeing may have been seen for a long time. There are accounts that go you mentioned Jock Vla. He did a really great Oh he's coming up next week, by the way, but he did a great.
Speaker 2: Book on going as far back as.
Speaker 1: They can and documentation of people reporting anomalous things in the sky. And I found an account from seventeen ninety six I believe it is, and a written account on a ship that's really amazing. It's called the Perkins Document. I believe it is. But so let's shift gears a little bit. What made you decide to write about the Betty and the name of the book. First of all is the abduction of Betty and Barney Hill, Alien Encounter, civil Rights, and the New Age in America by you, of course, Matthew Wowman. So what made you decide to take that on and write that book.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a great question. Some of the things you've already been talking about. I am as a scholar of religion. I specialize in religion and modern America post Civil War or so. I've written about Mormonism, I've written about evangelicalism and fundamentalism. But I was really interested in those boundaries, and I mentioned earlier that is, what do we consider legitimately religious in America? What do we consider legitimately scientific in America? What's some way I could explore where those boundaries are, how they got set up? And there's no better way to explore these boundaries than to find something that violates them. The throw is that makes people worry that something is not scientific, that makes people worried that something that purports to be religious is not actually religious, And so I begin to looking at UFOs for that reason, because they cross all of these boundaries. They make people. UFOs make people intensely uncomfortable because they are not so easily explained right, and they force us to grapple with the limits of our own knowledge. So I begin looking at initial I wanted to look at UFO religions, right, these people who have developed out of UFO experiences something that kind of mirrors other religious groups in America, people who have developed things that look like religions based on UFOs, like Unaris, for instance, or really Scientology, which is the most famous of these. But there have been a number of really good books on scientology recently, so I didn't know one else there might be for me to contribute to that. And as I was poking around, I discovered that the family of Betty Hill, particularly her niece Kathleen Martin, had donated the Hill papers to the University of New Hampshire library. Had been no book using the Hill papers other than Kathleen's own book, and I thought, well, there's nothing that a historian likes better than an archive that virtually no historian has looked at. So I thought I would just go up there see what's in these papers, and then decide if there would be a book at it. And the papers are wonderful. There's boxes upon boxes of correspond of letters. As I'm begin looking around, I found there were other caches of letters that the Hills had written. There's some in Roswell the International UFO Museum. There there's a wonderful collection of letters there. There's also some at the Center for Ufolk Studies, which Mark Rodeger runs now in Chicago. So I thought, wow, there's really a wonderful story here. And it's not as though the Hills have not been written about. Of course, they've been written about, right. It's one of the most significant DUFO cases in American history. But nearly everybody who's written about it has relied on John Fuller's book from nineteen sixtyty six, which is largely based on interviews that John Fuller did with the Hills and with Benjamin Simon. They're a psychiatrists as well. And as I went actually to Benjamin or I'm sorry, to John Fuller's own archive which is in Boston, and I found the transcripts of those interviews, and it turns out that John Fuller actually messed with him. He misquoted the Hills. Sometimes he edited their interview he was in the book, he changed it. So sometimes in the book it says the Barney said something, when in fact the interview truns from showed that it was Betty who said it. So the Boo book, I think, is rather unreliable, and people who rely only on it are going to miss the boat to some extent. So all of this, I think showed to me that there really was a lot more that could be said about the Hills, and that their story could be used, I think, to illustrate some of what was going on in America generally in the nineteen sixties, the ways in which the UFOs and I think belief in the UFOs, began breaking down the American cultural consensus in the nineteen fifties and nineteen sixties, how UFOs became a kind of vector for this new cultural movement that I in the book called the New Age movement. But that Betty and Barney's own story then was in some ways a microcosm of what was happening in the United States more generally.
Speaker 1: Now I know that I know a lot of people that knew both Betty and Barney, and it's funny I was talking too. I guess you would call my cousin in law, my cousin's husband, and she broke the news to him that I do a show on UFOs, and which they thought. Both my cousin thought I was nuts for doing that. But anyway, so he goes, Oh, I knew, he goes. I knew Barney, Barney Hill. He was my mailman. He used to sit in our parlor for an hour during his mail route and talk with his mother. I guess he was good friends with his weather and he didn't often talk about the incident itself. But it's I'm right here in Portsmouth, New Hampshire myself, and I grew up in the area, grew up in Elliott, and I only heard about it later in high school when they made a movie out of it, a four TV movie. I saw that movie and then realized, wow, right here in town. But I've met a lot of people over the years that knew both Betty and Barney and biracial couple. They had a lot of stress and because of that, and so I imagine that's part of what you wrote about as well, right that play as place part of.
Speaker 3: It yeah, yeah, I think could not play a part of it. And it actually doesn't surprise me that Barney was somewhat reticent. He always was. He was less enthusi asked about talking about the experience in public than Betty was. Betty is the one I think who felt a real drive to try to understand it, to figure out what was going on, to reach out to people. Bartie was often reluctant. In fact, in what we know about the very first phone call that they made about it to He's Air Force base, they talked to a man named Captain Henderson there, Paul Henderson, and Bartie didn't want to talk to him initially. Betty was the one who made the call, and both of them recalled later that Barney came to the phone reluctantly and he told Captain Henderson that he was worried that if this got out it would do damage to his reputation. And I think that's where you see the question of race. Right this is the mid nineteen sixties. Barney is a black man. He's in the North, and he's a black man. He's in New Hampshire where there are just we're not a lot of black people in the early nineteen sixties, and a real dynamic that was going on in the Civil Rights MOO when the Martin Luther King was leading, was this notion of respectability, right, and Martin Luther King knew this. That's why Martin Luk wore suits all the time. It is why he told the protesters who he was working with in this other Christian leadership conference, that when you are marching, people will attack you, they will yell at you, they will throw things at you, and you do not be aggressive back, because we want to show that we are respectable. And Barney really internalized that, right. So he was always worried that he might be judged for his race, and it was very important to him to appear respectable. This came naturally to him in many ways, because, as you say in this anecdote, he was a kind of gregarious person. They both were. They loved talking to people, They were very extroverted. But Barney always had that in the back of his head. I think this worry about being judged disreputable, disrespect well, and he was worried that the story of this incident would do damage to his reputation.
Speaker 1: As I mentioned to you off air, my producer read a book and had a couple of questions that she wanted me to ask.
Speaker 2: And you just mentioned PA's.
Speaker 1: Air Force base, which is I used to actually live in Elliot, Maine, and I lived on a hill up on a hill on the other side of the River of Peas Air Force. I could look directly at it, and I used to watch planes land there. I watched weather balloons. I watched actually our whole house shook one time and there was a crash in the runway.
Speaker 2: I saw the big fireball and everything. But here's the question here.
Speaker 1: Although the Air Force did not openly investigate the Hills case beyond the initial report, the Pentagon officials reportedly requested the files from Wright Patterson after John Hutrell's articles appeared in The Boston Traveler and John Fuller's book was published. Does this suggest that there may have been a greater official interest in the case that was publicly acknowledged.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think quite possibly, And certainly we do know that the Air Force did request to read our readings so which ultimately were inconclusive. There were some hits that false hits are quite common, and ultimately they judged it not worth pursuing. But as the case got more and more attention, this was happening at the same time, of course, the Project Bluebook was getting more and more attention than it, which eventually covidates in the content reports from the late nineteen sixties. So I think he had that. It's entirely plausible to me that they took a second look at Betty and Barney Hill's story.
Speaker 1: And I know my good friend who's unfortunately no longer with us, Leasepiegel, I think he found a document to put it out there that was directly related to Project Bluebook and P's Air Force base. I don't know if you ever saw any part of that, but that there was some little form or something he found he put it out.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, this is the report that Paul Henderson filed that he filled out after this conversation with the Hills. It's a couple of pages long. He does a little audit of what Barney described and Betty described to them, and yeah, he did file it away. So that's actually widely available. I think it's been uploaded onto the internet a few times, and it is it is the first written document we have about the Hills' case. Betty wrote a letter a bit later to Donald Keiho a few days after that because she was disappointed that Henderson and he's nobody ever following up with her, but that even that letter is a few days after this report, so it is I believe it stated September twenty first, so just two days after the siding. If you think the setting happened before midnight on the nineteenth or in the morning of the twentieth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think this is great that you went through. It sounds like you went through the papers themselves.
Speaker 2: And I know what that's like.
Speaker 1: I've done a lot of research I'm in I'm a fine art and a researcher and also I do a lot of historical.
Speaker 2: Documents things like that.
Speaker 1: So I have spent a whole month on a sign of the Declaration I was involved in auction years ago, been an entire month in the archives of New Hampshire. I know what that's like and how daunting that can be. I mean, what type of papers are we talking about? How many are we talking about?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so there are six boxes in the Hill Collection at the University of New Hampshire. And just so people have a visual of this, when I say boxes, the standard archival boxes, a banker's box, so we're talking to you a couple of feet by a couple of feet. Those boxes are full. There are oversized boxes as well. The oversized boxers actually have some of David Baker's art in them. David Baker, of course, being the Hill family friend who illustrated some of what they described to him. The images of the creatures that Betty and Bardie Hill described to him are he painted, and that's how we have a sense for the visuals of what they look like. There are some of those paintings reproduced in the book, but most of the boxes are letters. There are extensive letters between the Hills and all sorts of people, just local family friends. There are letters between them and producers in Hollywood, various people who wanted them to come and speak after the Fuller book was published. A lot of letters between them and people like Walter Webb. Walter Webb was the kind of primary representative of Donald Kehoe's organization who came and investigated them and interviewed them and then wrote a couple of reports of their story. And many letters from the Hills themselves, most of them actually are from Betty. Betty appears to be the one who handle most of the correspondents, who did much of the writing. But there are some letters from Barnie as well. And then finally there is a lot of autobiographical fragments that Betty wrote. She seems to have always been writing just little essays about her life, your essays titled things like my dreams, my marriage, or she just reminisces about these sorts of things. And those little fragments I think are so valuable because they both give us a sense for what was going on with the Hills, but also a sense for what Betty particularly was like as a person right And of course she's been for twenty two years now, and it's I think so wonderful to have so much of her own voice still with us. I mentioned earlier there were some Hill material in other places as well, As I said, there's another cache of letters in Roswell, New Mexico, the International UFO Museum and Archive. They've got a series of letters between Betty and her friend Marjorie Fish. Marjorie Fish, of course, is the one who later designed the star map based on Betty's recovered memory of a map that she saw while on the spacecraft Marjorie Fish designed it physically. She hung all sorts of little balls from wires in her living room, trying to reconstruct the universe so she could try to map out where the starmap actually was. She and Betti became great friends in the nineteen seventies, and there's a lot of letters between the two of them that are in Roswell, New Mexico. Then, as I said, there are some as well in Chicago at the Center for UFO Studies up there, and this was of course Alan Heinex organization that Mark Rudeger now runs. And there there's a lot of letters but actually between about the Hills, but also from the Hills as well, especially some material from Santon Friedman, the great UFO investigator, Santon Friedman too. Oh yeah, spend some time on the Hill case, let's see. Of course, another archive I went to, another really significant one, was the John Fuller archive in Boston, where the transcripts of the interview is that Fuller did with Betty and Bardy for his book are When I mentioned earlier how kind of revelatory those interviews were, how much he did not put into the book from those interviews as well, as I mentioned earlier, some of the things that he changed for the book that he wrote. There's also a lot of letters between Fuller and Benjamin Simon, the Hill psychiatrist there as well. So yeah, there were a few other archives I went to as well, but the bulk and my research was in those four places.
Speaker 1: So I know, I remember reading a little bit about Marjorie Fish Oakridge National Laboratory. On twenty thirteen, an astrophysics student revisited Marjorie's map from a skeptical point of view, and she was more than twenty two hundred computer models and discovered that Marjorie's identification was the closest any plate of any place in our galaxy, which I think is pretty interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, by the end of her life, Marjorie herself actually said that she was less confident in her original map than she was at the time, largely because of as the Oakridge folks discovered, right, there were just new stars that we discovered. I think that makes the map ultimately inconclusive, but perhaps doesn't completely rule it out. Carl Sagan, the great kind of skeptic. Carl Sagan said of Marjorie Fish's map that the university's three dimensional and there's actually when you get out of gravity, there's no up or down, there's no left or right, it's just all space right. And for him the map was unpersuasive because of that. But I think as we was so much else of breasts and indeterminacy.
Speaker 1: One thing I neglected to do is for the new person. I know this is like about halfway through our interview here, but for the new person that not aware of the Betty and Barney Hill lory, we should tell a nutshell just for someone just beginning to look at this topic. And I don't know if it's something, if you want to just throw it out there, because yeah, okay, yeah, give it.
Speaker 3: A sixty second rundown here. As you said earlier, Betty and Barney Hill were an international couple. Betty was white, Barney was black. They lived in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. They were married in nineteen sixty it was the second marriage for both of them, and then in the follow nineteen sixty one they finally took a honeymoon and they decided that they wanted to drive across Upset, New York, cross into Canada around Niagara Falls, back east to Montreal, and then south from Montreal, back home. So they did this the weekend preceding September nineteenth, nineteen sixty one. The night of September nineteenth, they left Canada and began heading home. We're in a bit of a grumpy mood there. There was a storm coming in and that kind of scotch their vacation plans. The vacation had not been as fun as they I hoped it would be. But they're headed home late that night. And the one kind of timestamp we have is that they left a diner in Colborok, New Hampshire, which is way far up and right near the Canadian border. And Benny recalled the clock in the diner show ten o'clock when they left. And then they begin driving home. Now they're headed home. This is before the inner City Highway system that goes down in the center of New Hampshire, before they reach Franconia Notch, which is this big kind of mountainous area right in the center of New Hampshire where the old men of the Mountains rock Formation used to be. They saw a strange light in the sky, but the light appeared to be following them. They stop a couple of times, get out of the car, look at the light, and then they are overwhelmed with fear. They jump in their car and begin driving home as quickly as they can. When they arrive home near the time the dawn is breaking, fallow sleep and wake up. A couple of days later, Betty calls P's Air Force Base to report this. Then a couple of days after that and then they tell Pas Air Force Base that they saw a strange light. They said that the strange light actually seemed to have wings, and then it unfolded a bit like that. Then a couple days later, Betty sends a letter to Donald Keyho a Donald Keyhoe is one of the founders of NICAP, which is kind of the premier UFO investigation organization in the nineteen fifties and sixties. And in that letter, Betty tells Donald Kejo that they did not tell the Air Force. Then Barney, while looking at this craft through binoculars, believed he saw figures moving around in it. And she says in that letter, we did not tell the Air Force because we were afraid that we wouldn't be taken seriously. And that goes back to the concerns about respectability that we spoke about a little while prior, Kehoe sends out Walter Webb, who is a young astronomer who's working in Boston. He drives in sixty mos so miles north. He interviews the Hills about this and he writes a report about the But then a little while later, a couple of other nightcap folk come and visit them in October and they also do some a long interview with the Hills. Over the next couple of years, the Hills have some after effects. Betty Hill has a series of nightmares. Barnie Hill begins he develops an ulcer, he's not sleeping very well, he has a lot of stress going on in his life. And then eventually they end up in the office of Benjamin Simon, who is in Boston who's a psychiatrist who specializes in hypnosis. Simon tells the Hills that he's going to hypnotize them to try to recover more memories of this incident. He also tells them that hypnosis can in fact generate memories. The phrase that Simon uses with John Fuller as well as with the Hills as that hypnosis can recover emotional memory, but that emotional memory may not be the same as what actually happened. He separates them and hypnotizes them both, and we're now in early nineteen sixty five. Over several sessions, they come back to him all from January all the way through March. Every Saturday, they drive down to Boston. And in the course of that hypnosis, which again i'll say, they were separated, so he hypnotizes, he leaves one of them in his waiting room, he pauses the other one in his office, and he records these interviews. We have the transcript of these interviews, and over the course of those interviews a story comes out that's rather similar. In both cases, Barti Hill recalls the light landing on the road in front of their car. He recalls being taken out of his car by small creatures he does not really describe them at all. And the hypnosis, he says that they made sounds that were something like the no language that he could understand. That they took him into a room on the craft, laid him on a table, placed a cup over his genitals. He says he kept his eyes shut for most of the because who was so terrified. And then eventually they took him back. Betty Hill something similar, but with much more detail. She recalls having a long conversation with one of the creatures, whom she calls the Leader, and it's a bit unclear whether this conversation was a verbal or telepathic, that they had conversations about what they were doing when she asked what happened to Barnie when they separated the two. She also recalls being examined medically. She says a needle was inserted into her belly button, something like amnios. And so she recalls being shown a map, being shown an object that looked like a book, having a conversation with the leader about trying to explain what aage meant to humans, and then these christures do not quite understand it, and then like Barnie, being taken off and returned to the car where Barney was. After these sessions, the Hills recalled all of this. Benjamin Simon, their psychiatrist, told them that he did not believe that this had actually happened to them. He told them that he thought that these terrified memories of being captured were actually a product of their dress that they experienced while on the trip, and Barney's real fear actually that they would be attacked for being an interracial couple, which was something Barti was quite nervous about by Barty brought a pistol with them on this trip because he was so anxious about being discriminated against her, being attacked for being an interracial couple. That's what Simon thought was at the root of this. But the Hills didn't believe him. The Hill said, we have these memories. We think these memories are real. We think you are simply prejudiced against UFOs. Later on, the Hills began talking a bit more about this story, and eventually the journalist John Fuller hears about it. He writes this famous book about the case. The book sells hundreds of thousands of copies. It makes the Hills famous. They end up on talk shows. As you mentioned earlier. In nineteen seventy five, James Earl Jones makes a movie about the case. Earl Jones stars as Bartie Hill in the movie, and it becomes a kind of classic story of abduction. And even by the nineteen eighties, folks like Bud Hopkins John Mack who are the Leader is an exploring an induction. In the eighties and nineties, they say that the Hill case is the paradigm case. It is the first case of Americans claiming to be inducted by lads, and in many ways paradigm for what follows. How is that that was a bit more than a minute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was great.
Speaker 1: So I do have a direct quote here from doctor Benjamin Simon, and that is quote, neither patient is psychotic, and both consciously and under hypnosis told what they believed to be the absolute truth.
Speaker 2: The truth is what he believes to be the truth.
Speaker 1: And may not be consonant with the ultimate and non personal truth.
Speaker 2: Most frequently it.
Speaker 1: Is anyway, do you think that was pathologicalized of their experience?
Speaker 2: Do you think that?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And this is one of the major kind of stories of the threads that run through my book generally right, is that you see the Hills have this experience, and the Hills were in nineteen sixty, before this event happens, they were very much I think typical Americans, which is to say, Americans in nineteen sixteen generally trusted experts. It seems incredible to us now, but Gallop Poles in that period in the early sixties showed that upward of seventy five percent of Americans said they trusted the government to do the right thing seventy five percent, which seems bizarre to us now. The Hills then thought that when they went to the military would help them. The Hills believed that psychiatrists, that doctors would believe them and help them as well. And when Benjamin Simon told them that he did not think that this event actually happened, they were horrified and angry. And I think it is fair to say whether or not you think Benjamin Simon was right that the abduction did not happen, and many people, I think even Donald Piho frankly actually said later he did not think the abduction happened as the Hills were called it. Jacques Vala did not think that the induction happened as the Hills described it either. Valet says that in his diaries, I think it's fair to say that Benjamin Simon treated them much like many doctors treated patients in the nineteen sixties, which is to say, I am right, you are wrong. Your job as a patient needs to do what I say and believe what I say. He was I think undeniably condescending toward them. He says later in some letters that he trades with Philip Klass, who's one of the great debunkers of the late twentieth injury. Simon tells class that I didn't want to have an argument with Betty because Betty was just woefully unequipped to deal with me. That I'm so much more educated than she was, an argument with her would have served no purpose whatsoever. So I think absolutely Simon treats him with condescension. He doesn't really, I think, want to take them very seriously, and he and he is somewhat high handed with John Fuller as well when Fuller comes to him. And certainly there's been so much debate after as to the reliability of hypnosis. But I think the key at that point is that Simon simply, I think, did not really want to treat the Hills as though they were his intellectual equals, and he never really did.
Speaker 1: I know that he did a lot of what we call today ps PTSD, worked with World War two and Korean War and all that, but this was the first type of case that I think anyone had tried to treat as a professional and look into I don't know what I know that look just the part where he didn't think they were crazy.
Speaker 2: I think that's good. I mean, he took them.
Speaker 1: Seriously, that they believed that this happened to them at least, And that's the information that my producer when she actually talked to him personally, he said basically the same thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think that's true. He actually even wrote, and this is in John Fuller's papers, he sent a letter to Barney's insurance company saying much the same, right, that these people are not psychotic, right, they are not insane, they are not crazy. They have for Simon and Simon believed they had a traumatic experience, and under hypnosis they transformed this traumatic experience into this story of alien abduction. But that's something many people do. Simon was a Freudian somewhat in that sense, right, And we have what we have traumatic memories, we repressed them. They might emerge an odd in strange ways, and that's what Simon thought happened to the Hills.
Speaker 1: So I guess I want to ask you what do you feel was in general? What are your personal feelings of the case itself. Do you think that this their account did happen in some type of way.
Speaker 3: I think, and I reflect a little bit about this. At the end of the book and the conclusion, I think they saw something strange on the road. I think that whatever it was they saw, it was something that alarmed them and distressed them. There was a lot of folks who tried to explain what it was they saw. That it might have been Jupiter, for instance, or maybe it was a tram that used to run up and down Cannon Mountain, and I don't find those explanations very convincing. I don't know what it was they saw. I think it was something that alarmed them and distressed them. Betty Hill, right after the sighting, said to Barney, I think that was a flying saucer, And she asked, Barty, do you believe in flying saucers? Out that we've seen one? And I think she went to that term flying saucer because it was a term that had become famous in the media in the nineteen fifties, and then that was the language that she could reach to try to explain what this weird thing in the sky was. So I think I have no idea what it was they saw in the sky. It was something strange and something that alarmed them. I do believe that I said the abduction itself, as I read all of the kind of accounts and the discussions of the story as it emerged, I found myself, I think, most sympathetic with what Jacques Vlet concluded, right Valais said, I think something strange happened to them. I think the memories that they recovered of what Valat calls in his journal the sort of like crude medical experimentation, and the conversations that Betty had with this alien creature who, if you believed the star map said he came from Zeta Reticuli, Valai didn't buy that, and I'm on board with him. Now, that's not the same thing as saying that something odd with non human intelligence did not happen to them. It is to say that Vlai did not believe that the memories as they recovered were accurate memories of what had actually happened to them. And I think I'm in that camp as well. I think something strange happened to the Hills. I'm not sure I can describe what it was. I'm not sure they even really had a firm grasp on what it was, and that there's all sorts of kind of complicated issues of memory and hypnosis that ultimately veil for us what actually happened that night.
Speaker 1: I've talked to a number of people over the years. This is I think this is show seven seventy four, and there's a lot of A and B shows, so it's probably closeer to eight hundred shows that I've talked to people over the years, and some of the things that happened with Betty and Barney Hill, other people have claimed to have happened to them. I don't know if you've ever looked into other cases like the Pasca Gula incident where and the alleg Ash incident where these people are basically and in a way it would make sense like if we were being examined, would be examined in the ways that they know, tend to talk about or they did talk about, I should say, examined physically by whatever it is. I can't say for sure if it's from another world or what.
Speaker 2: I have no clue.
Speaker 1: I don't claim to say that's from another world, extraterrestrial. I don't really know, but I do believe that. So you look at the I don't want to say consistent stories, but there are stories along the way. When there's also I mentioned just a second ago the allegash incident and Jack I think it is Jack or Jim is one of the people in that involved in that and basically saying he was He claims that he was shown some type of star map as well. So as it goes along, now that could someone could argue and say that's just like the influence of pop culture or someone looking into it and they're influenced by that. But I think it's interesting. It's an interesting case. I wish there was and as for all all cases, I wish there was more evidence that we we could have and at this point that's what we're lacking. And we have to listen to these people that go through these traumatic events and that the whole other thing here is we can get into but we were at the end of our show here, but these people that claim their experiences, I can't imagine what that would be like it's true, what's happening to them?
Speaker 3: And yeah, and to that point, I think one of the major influences of the Betty and Barney Hill case, so we haven't mentioned yet, is that eventually, when Betty and Barney Hill come out of the shypnosis, they don't actually and this is I think fascinating. They don't describe the creatures in their hypnosis trainscripts with Benjamin Simon. That comes later when they start telling people what these beings look like, and most famously they tell their artist friend David Baker, who does these charcoal sketches, and the creatures that they describe are small, with large eyes slanted upward, gray skin, big heads, hairless. Right, that have really become the paradigm for what we today call the grays. Right. The Hills were the first to describe extraterrestrial creatures in that way, and that's gradually become the paradigm that goes all the way well through a course through my books like Communion right, but also as I say, the but Hopkins books and such like and so forth. So in so many ways, the Hill's story has become the blueprint for what has happened since now. Whether that be as you say, because of the influence of media and just because of how famous the Hills's case became, there may be something to that, right, And that would be something I think that Jacques Valet might say when lat makes his argument that these creatures or this intelligence or whatever it may be, right shows it shows itself to us in ways that we will find meaningful and persuasive and convincing. Right, Perhaps that's what's going on, and perhaps these are creatures from Zeta articulate that built spaceships and flu here, which is what Benny and Barty Hill I think believed until the day they die. Right. What really interests me is how these different stories gain steam and gain influence and become paradigms for people trying to explain what ultimately are at their core. I think experiences that we have trouble describing, biences that we don't know how to explain, and thus we reach for tools to try to put meaning onto stuff that's fundamentally to use a kind of religious studies term numinis, which is to say somewhat beyond language.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's fascinating.
Speaker 1: So do you have any other things that you would be writing about any other cases or is this just like a one off type of situation.
Speaker 3: No, it is not. I'm actually I am looking actually continuing to work in this area. I'm working right now on a man named Paul Solom who is not well known today, but two claimed to have had an experience for the UFO in Idaho, in nineteen forty eight and to have telepathic contact with it, and who then eventually by fifteen years later is living on the Healthier Reservation in northern Arizona and telling the Hopey people that UFOs were piloted by kin to Native Americans who were coming back to Earth to inaugurate the kind of transformative global not sae apocalypse and massive has kind of spiritual rebirth in the entire world. And I find him really interesting the part because, of course, as you mentioned earlier, I'm a professor of religious studies, and I'm especially write a lot about Mormonism when Paul Solan was a Mormon, and he has drawn a lot of Mormon imagery, a lot of Mormon mythology, a lot of Mormon mythoughs, and then combining it with the UFO conversations of the nineteen fifties and nineteen sixties, and then bringing all of that to Native Americans. So there's a lot going on there as well. But that is the book I'm currently working on.
Speaker 1: Wow, that sounds fascinating. I have to have you back for that one, I hope.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so thank you.
Speaker 1: And the book is The Abduction of Betty and Barney Hill, Alien, Counter civil Rights, and the New Age in America by right here, Matthew Brown. Thanks so much, Matthew, I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: All right, take care, all right everyone, so don't forget to come back.
Speaker 1: Next Tuesday we have Christopher Noel on consciousness in UFOs and then Jacques Frolet on Thursday. Both shows are at eight pm. Thanks so much, and remember to keep your eyes to the sky.