Speaker 1: Hey, says dead mam.
Speaker 2: Come on your story.
Speaker 3: Hours are presenting your story, hour building for a better tomorrow to day's story.
Speaker 1: Come here to the window, Jim. I want to show you something.
Speaker 2: Yes, ma'am.
Speaker 1: Look out there, Jim. Some people call this the slums. The neighborhood is tough. I'm told. Our new house maybe isn't just what we'd like, and three rooms can be awfully cramped, but it's ours. It's clean and neat inside our home. And we can be happy here if we try, Jim. When people try to be happy, they can be That's what your dad always told me. He was a brave man, very brave, all during the long, hard years when he was so sick and in such terrible, aizing pain. I know if you can grow up to be like Fred, I'll feel rewarded. Jim. He was a fine man, a good husband.
Speaker 2: I won't disappoint you, Mom, like you said yesterday, I even look like that now that I'm growing taller.
Speaker 1: Oh, off to bed with you. You've got a busy program ahead of you. Tomorrow. It'll be your first day at the new school. You'll have a lot of catching up to do. Okay, Mom, good night, Oh Jim, Yes, don't don't worry about those school supplies. Tell your teachers if they can give me just a week, I'll have enough money to buy them all right, mam my purse, Oh yes, here it is four dollars and thirty five cents. It's got to last us until next Friday. Oh, dear God in heaven, please help me to keep my boy from knowing how poor we really are. I I I'm trying so hard to make a home for him, but I'm alone, all alone.
Speaker 4: Hello Uncle Dan, Hello to you, Aunt Carol, And hello to all you boys.
Speaker 5: And girls, teens, moms and dads.
Speaker 4: Grandma's and grandpa's, uncles, aunts, cousins, friends, and neighbors.
Speaker 5: Welcome one and all.
Speaker 4: We're so glad to be with you again.
Speaker 5: Now we have a question for all you adults listening in. Have you ever attended your high school or college reunion.
Speaker 4: If you have, you've probably been surprised by how some of your former classmates have changed.
Speaker 5: Of course, there are physical differences, but while everyone grows older, some get thinner, others heavier.
Speaker 4: And some grow beards while others go ball.
Speaker 5: You're surprised that the class clown became a successful pediatrician.
Speaker 4: And that shy little wallflower of a girl blossomed into a beautiful fashion model.
Speaker 5: Then perhaps you sadly learned that the boy voted most likely to succeed didn't make it to the reunion. He died a few years back from a drug overdose.
Speaker 4: Though you're all classmates at one time, the choices each individual made let many directions.
Speaker 5: Some made good choices, some made bad ones.
Speaker 4: Even children from the same family make very different choices. For example, just think of Jacob and Esau, the twin sons of Isaac and Bible Times.
Speaker 5: Or what about the sons of Adam and Eve canaan Abel. Their choices let in opposite directions.
Speaker 4: What we're saying is we need to think carefully about the choices we make in life and how those choices will influence our future.
Speaker 5: That's certainly true, Uncle Dan, and I think this classic O Henry story will make that apparent.
Speaker 4: Well, time is marching right along, so I think we'd better get right to it.
Speaker 5: Good idea we call this story after twenty years. The policeman on the beat moved briskly up the avenue. The time was barely ten o'clock at night, but chilly gusts of wind with a taste of rain in them. It almost emptied the streets, trying doors as he went, twirling his club, he now and then turned to cast his water, watchful on the quiet neighborhood The vicinity kept early hours. Now and then you might see the lights of a store or of an all night lunch counter, but the majority of the business places had long since been closed. When he was about midway along a certain block, the policeman suddenly slowed his walk. In the doorway of a darkened hardware store, a man leaned his hands thrust deep into his pockets, his coat collar turned up. As the policeman walked up to him.
Speaker 6: The man spoke.
Speaker 7: Quickly, Oh it's it's all right, off, sir, I'm just waiting here for her friend friend day.
Speaker 8: Well, we don't allow loitering. Maybe you'd better move along.
Speaker 7: No, no, honest officer, I won't cause any trouble. I'm back here in town to keep an appointment, an appointment made out of this very spot twenty years ago.
Speaker 8: Twenty years that's a long time.
Speaker 9: Oh you bet it is. It sounds a little funny, doesn't it. Well, well, i'll explain if you like.
Speaker 7: You see, twenty years ago, there used to be a restaurant where you and I are standing right now, Big Joe Brady's Restaurant.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I remember. Big Joe's dead. Now some new owners bought the restaurant, tore it down, put up this modern hardware store that was about ten years ago.
Speaker 3: Oh it's a big Joe died.
Speaker 9: Well, look at that sky.
Speaker 8: We're gonna have rain, mister, and hear it.
Speaker 9: Come were here, obviously step up in the doorway. You'll get dreaded.
Speaker 8: Thanks. I should have worn my raincoat out tonight.
Speaker 9: How I was lucky.
Speaker 7: I got the weather forecast early in the day, so I was ready for the bad weather.
Speaker 9: Hey, come on you, that's y room. Oh careful, it's dark. Drop my billy club. Wait, I gott imagine it's dragging up. Locate your club in a jiffy.
Speaker 6: The man in the doorway struck a match, stooped, and retrieved the billy club. His figure, which had been shrouded in darkness, was suddenly illuminated, and the police officer looked at him cure the match flame revealed a short, stocky looking man with his hat brim pulled low over his face, but there was just enough light for the officer momentarily to see a pale, square jawed face with keen eyes and a little white telltale scar near his right eyebrow. In the handsome scarf worn round his neck to keep out the brisk fall wind was an expensive diamond pin.
Speaker 8: Did you say you were waiting for a friend.
Speaker 7: Oh, not just a friend, Officer, I'm waiting for my best friend. His name is Jim, Jimmy Wells as the finest chap in the world.
Speaker 8: You seem eager to see him.
Speaker 1: I am.
Speaker 8: I am.
Speaker 7: You know, exactly twenty years ago tonight, Jim and I had dinner together at Big Joe Brady's restaurant, the last time I saw him. You see, Officer, Jimmy Wells and now are both reared here in New York, same neighborhood. Were just like brothers. Jim was twenty and I was eighteen when we parted. Oh say, you couldn't have dragged him out of New York. He thought it was the only place on earth. But me, Well, I was ambitious and wrestless. I wanted to go out into the big, wide, wonderful world and find excitement. Wanted to pit my brains against other men see if I could survive. Jimmy hated to see me go, but I promised to meet him here exactly twenty years later. Then we both see how life had treated us and find out whether either or well both.
Speaker 9: Of us had found success real success.
Speaker 7: So we struck the bargain, and that's why I'm here tonight in this doorway, Oh good old Jimmy.
Speaker 9: The next morning, the next morning.
Speaker 7: After we had dinner together, I left for the West coast, chasing that elusive phantom men call success.
Speaker 8: Did you find it success? I mean find it?
Speaker 9: Listen.
Speaker 7: I matched my wits against some of the best brains afloat came out of winter.
Speaker 9: Every time, Yes, siree, every time. Success.
Speaker 7: Success isn't an elusive phantom, not if you're tough and you got the neck and they know how why I caught success and swawk it.
Speaker 9: By the table.
Speaker 8: Well, I see you're your friend. He may not show up, not in a soaking rain like this.
Speaker 7: Hey, now there's where you're wrong, dead wrong, my pell Jimmy Wells wouldn't let fire or flood keep him from meeting his old buddy tonight.
Speaker 9: Not to mention a little drism like this.
Speaker 8: No, you just wait, you'll see.
Speaker 9: Besides, it's it's only ten o'clock. He's got another thirty minutes.
Speaker 1: Yet.
Speaker 8: You have a lot of confidence in your friend, mister. But in twenty years, people change change a lot. Often they they forget promises.
Speaker 9: Not a chance.
Speaker 7: Oh some people, yes, But Jimmy Wells forget Jimmy Wells changed.
Speaker 9: Ah. Never.
Speaker 7: Well, we're waiting for the rain to stop.
Speaker 9: Now, I'll tell you about jim home.
Speaker 7: By that time, he should be here, and you can see for yourself what a true blue fellow he is. I first met Jimmy Wells when I was twelve years old, about three days.
Speaker 3: After he moved into our old East Down neighborhood.
Speaker 2: Mam, mam, is that you?
Speaker 1: Yes, Jimmy, what are you doing out of bed? It's four o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 2: I know. I woke up when was worried. Ma'm you're a getting home, and I've thought maybe something that happened to you.
Speaker 1: I am a little late, Jimmy, I'd admit, but we had a lot of extra work to do. It made me miss the two o'clock bus, so I stood for an hour waiting for the next one. I think I'll just sit, just sit here for half an hour without moving. Tonight, I feel as though I'd scrubbed every inch of the Empire State Building.
Speaker 2: Mom, I made some breakfast for you. I thought maybe you be hungry, and you got in. The eggs are fine, but I saw to burn the tolls.
Speaker 1: Well, now that makes us even yesterday I burned your toast. Remember never mind, Darling. I'm sure your breakfast will taste marvelous, maybe even better than mine. You're a thoughtful boy, Jim. Any mother would be proud to have a son like you.
Speaker 2: I wish you didn't have to work so hard, especially at night.
Speaker 1: Now, Jim, we must be grateful. This job as a scrub woman at the Caston Building was all I could find.
Speaker 2: I wish we were back in Allenville, Ma.
Speaker 1: So do I Jim. But there was no way for me to make money there, and we're so desperately poor since your father died, we simply had to come to the city. Come here to the window, Jim. I want to show you something, Yes, ma'am. Look out there, Jim. Some people call this the slums. The neighborhood is tough. I'm told our new home maybe isn't just what we'd like. And three rooms can be awfully crowded, but it's ours. It's clean and neat inside our home, and we can be happy here if we try, Jim, When people try hard to be happy, they can be That's what your dad always told me. He was a brave man, very brave, all during those long, hard years when he was so sick and in such terrible, agonizing pain. I know, ma'am, if you can grow up to be like Fred, I'll feel rewarded. Jim, he was a fine man, a good husband.
Speaker 2: I won't disappoint you, ma'am. Like you said yesterday, I even look like Dad now that I'm growing taller.
Speaker 1: Yes, you do resemble him, son, especially with those blue eyes and that unruly mop of sandy here tumbling down over your forehead. But now off with you, back to bed, you scamp. You've got a bite program ahead of you. Tomorrow it'll be your first day at the new school. Mother wants you to be arrested. You'll have a lot of catching up to do. You missed a whole year when you had scarlet fever.
Speaker 2: Okay, mam, good night.
Speaker 1: Oh Jim, Yes, don't don't worry about those school supplies. Tell your teachers if they can just give me a week, I'll have enough money to buy them all right, mam, Oh my purse. Oh yes, here it is four dollars and thirty five cents. Oh it's got to last us until next Friday. Oh, Dear God in heaven, please help me to keep my boy from knowing how poor we really are. I I'm trying so hard to make a home for him, but I'm alone, all alone.
Speaker 4: Say we'll find out if Jimmy tangles with the toughest boy in the sixth grade in just a moment. But first, please listen to this letter from a thirteen year old girl who lives in Tennessee.
Speaker 5: Dear Aunt Carroll and Uncle Dan, I just wanted you to know that the Adventures are one hundred percent helpful to me. I try to read the Bible every night, and sometimes I don't understand it. The Adventures explained the Bible so good that you're bound to understand it.
Speaker 4: Thanks so much, and thank you for writing. We're glad the Adventures are a help. Now here's another letter.
Speaker 5: Dear Uncle Dan and Aunt Carrol, thank you for sending me the first two lessons. I had them finished in one hour. I'd love to work on them so much that i couldn't put them down. My mother and I listened to your story are every chance we get. The stories are always interesting. I've wanted to receive the lessons and stories for a long time. I'm glad I finally contacted you on the web. We pray that God will continue to bless your ministry. I love your programs.
Speaker 4: It sounds like these two listeners have discovered just how much fun and how helpful the Adventures can be.
Speaker 5: True, Uncle Dan, You see, the Adventures contain stories, puzzles, and quizzes that everyone, it seems, really enjoys. Plus, as you complete the quizzes, you'll also receive all twenty six audio stories from our Life of Jesus album, and.
Speaker 4: The first two stories you'll receive are Mary of Nazareth and Born under a Star, two special favorites.
Speaker 5: Yes, and here's a very important point. The Adventures are absolutely free, stories, quizzes, audio recordings, everything.
Speaker 4: So what about you? Would you like help understanding the Bible and have a great time in the process.
Speaker 5: Perhaps you've been intending to sign up for the Adventures, but just haven't gotten around to it yet, and there's.
Speaker 4: No time like the present. Why not make a good choice. Get a pen, paper ready to take down our address and website. We'll give them to you right after our story.
Speaker 5: Speaking of which, let's find out what's happening to Jimmy in after twenty years.
Speaker 1: Hey you you what a funny face? Me?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: No Ah? Here ain't you? What's your name?
Speaker 2: Her name is Jim jim Au.
Speaker 1: Well listen, Jim. You may be a little taller than me, but I'm the toughest boy in the sixth grade. How'd you like to fight?
Speaker 2: Fight?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Fight, you heard me? Maybe on the playground at recess. I'll whip you to you can't stand up? Funny face?
Speaker 2: I guess you're right.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 2: My face is sort of funny, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Huh huh.
Speaker 2: But if you whip me and rearrange my face, I look even worse. So you have to take the blame from my face then not me, right.
Speaker 1: Boy, you're a strange one. I like you. You got a sense of humor. Let's be POWs. My name is Bob, Shake Bob. Since you're new here, I'll school you on everything.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 1: If you need your arithmetic homework done. Mary Jenkins, that redhaired, skinny girl over there, she's the best in the whole school. Just say, you'll beat up her little brother and then she'll do your arithmetic every night. Honest, honest, how do you think I got my arithmetic work done? In fact, I get better homework greats than she does. But that's cheating, cheatin'.
Speaker 8: Say.
Speaker 1: Listen, my pop says that in this world everybody cheats, specially big shots. That's how they get to the top.
Speaker 2: My dad never told me that.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's cause your dad ain't smart. But my pop is our teacher. Miss Johnson, that old dragon. You know what she says, children do unto others as you would have others doin' to you.
Speaker 2: I know that that's the golden rule. I learned it in church back home in Allenville.
Speaker 1: Golden huh. Well, I told my pop what Miss Johnson said, and you know what he told me. No, what he said, boy, you doin to others before they do un to you.
Speaker 2: Oh, oh, it's almost time for class to start.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and here comes ugly old missus Johnson. I better lay loon until after class meets you at recess Okay, okay, where do you live.
Speaker 2: On East third Street?
Speaker 1: Swell, that's just around the corner from my house. Maybe I'll come by your house sometime.
Speaker 6: Okay, children, silence, We're about to begin on lessons now, silence please.
Speaker 9: And that's how I met Jimmy Wells. We became the best of buddies.
Speaker 7: The fact is, I'm sort of glad he didn't take me up on that fist fight. Jimmy was skinny and gawky, but I found out later it hit.
Speaker 9: Like a mule, is he? His father had been a high.
Speaker 7: School athletic coach before he got that rare blood as he's killed him. He knew a lot about boxing, and Jimmy absorbed a good deal of it from him. Why he coulda trampled me and when I challenged him to fight that first day at school, but instead he took low to peace love. And that's what Jimmy was, a good hearted, peace loving kid.
Speaker 8: Sounds as though you liked him, Oh I did.
Speaker 9: I did.
Speaker 7: It's a funny thing, though I always knew jim wasn't destined to get anywhere, particularly in life. He had too many well, he had too many scruples inherited from that male of his, and she died later, but Jim promised her that he'd work hard turn out to be something respectable. Yeah, I wonder how I did he?
Speaker 9: Oh that old phantom success. Yes, sir, we're both after it.
Speaker 7: That night we parted here twenty years ago, Jimmy Wells and I well.
Speaker 8: Oh, mister rain slacked a bit. I guess I'll be on my way. Sure, hope your friend comes around. All right, you are going to give up and leave? If he doesn't show up right on the dot.
Speaker 9: Why I should say not. I'll give him another half hour at least. If Jimmy Wells is alive on this earth, you'll be here by that time. Well, here, you've been good company. So long, officer.
Speaker 6: Good night, sir, And stepping out into the rain, the policeman passed along his beat, trying doors as he went. There was now a fine, cold drizzle falling, and the wind had risen from uncertain puffs into a steady blow. The few pedestrians astir in that quarter hurried dismally and silently, along with coat collars turned high, hands burrowed deep into their pockets, and in the doorway of the hardware store, the man who had come a thousand miles to keep an appointment, an appointment uncertain, almost absurd with the friend of his youth, stood and waited. About twenty minutes he waited, and then a tall man in a long overcoat with collar turned up to his ears, hurried across from the opposite side of the street. He went directly to the waiting figure. Approaching the dark doorway, he asked softly.
Speaker 9: Is that you, Bob, Yes? Is that you Jimmy wells? Oh, well, well, well, bless my heart. Oh, it's great to see you, buddy. Great here shake hands with your old pal.
Speaker 10: It's been a long time, Bob.
Speaker 9: You bet it has too long? Oh much, much, too long? Hey you married?
Speaker 10: Yes, Margie and I have three fine youngsters, two boys and a girl.
Speaker 9: How about you gone?
Speaker 7: Ye, never can find a girl for me, So I'm still single. Jimmy boy, still a lovable oven bachelor. Come on, come on, let's get out of this dark doorway and go somewhere where we can get something warm to drink, chat about old time, sure thing, Bob?
Speaker 10: What's so amusing, Bob?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 7: I was just wishing that big dumb cop was still here.
Speaker 9: Oh, he realized how wrong he was?
Speaker 8: Cop?
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, policeman stopped and chatting with me a few minutes in the rain. While I waited for you, he dropped his club and I had to find it for him.
Speaker 9: Have you ever heard of a policeman dropping his billy club before? Oh, dumb cop. I told him about us. Do you know what he said? No, he said you wouldn't show up.
Speaker 7: He said nobody would keep a promise like that after twenty years.
Speaker 9: That shows how much he dow Afel. Cops are always.
Speaker 7: Wrong, big, slow, stupid and always wrong.
Speaker 10: The old restaurant, Big Jack Brady's, has gone.
Speaker 7: Bob, Jim, Jim, it was Joe Brady's. Oh how could you ever forget him? Why Big Joe would revolve in his grave?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 10: Yes, Joe Brady's. Anyway, I wish his old restaurant we're still standing, just so as we could have another celebration there. But tell me how is the West treated? Joel Man?
Speaker 9: Ah great, champ just great.
Speaker 11: Why it's given me everything I could ask for, everything I ever dreamed of, money, influence and friends. You know, Jim, you've changed a lot. I remember you as being not quite tall. In fact, you were three inches taller than me. But now you must be about six feet.
Speaker 10: Well, I grew a bit after I reached twenty.
Speaker 9: And so I see.
Speaker 7: Oh but listen, how about our old phantom suckcess.
Speaker 9: Huh do you find her?
Speaker 8: How well have you done back here in the old town?
Speaker 10: Only moderately, Bob, just moderately. I have a job in one of the city departments. Hey, come on, let's cross the street here. There's a place I know just around the corner. It'll be the perfect setting for our good long talk about old time.
Speaker 9: Okay, let's go.
Speaker 2: What's awful?
Speaker 4: Fuck?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I can't see a foot in front of your face. They watch out see people in this town? Awys did dry like fools?
Speaker 7: It's my pie used to say, you remember Pa, he's bless his aren't real?
Speaker 9: So he's deadn't gone though. Fifteen years now, Jimmie boy, I have done well, fabulously well. Money is no longer a problem.
Speaker 7: And say a friend of mine, I know you can't be too well off, not if you work for the city. You can't.
Speaker 9: So if you ever need a couple thousand bucks, really, Bob, what.
Speaker 10: Kind of business are you in?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 9: Well, investments? Yeah, yeah, that's it. Investments.
Speaker 6: The two men crossed the street together, turned the corner and walk down the block. The man from the West Coast, his ego inflated by the rapt attention of his friend, who was obviously impressed, outlined high points in his well traveled life. He talked with Gusto with enthusiasm, not noticing where he was going, and his companion, the taller man, submerged in his overcoat, just listened silently. After they had walked another two blocks, they passed a corner. There stood a drug store, brilliant with electric lights. When they came under it sudden glare. Each man wheeled sharply to gaze upon the other's face.
Speaker 9: Hey, wait a minute, Wait a minute, what is this. You're not Jimmy Wells.
Speaker 7: Twenty years a long time, but it isn't long enough to change a fellow's nose from a room into a pug.
Speaker 10: It's sometimes long enough to change a good man into a bad one. You're right, I'm not Jim Wells. I'm Detective Mark Jones. Don't move, Just put your hands out, silky Ah. You've been under arrest for the last ten minutes.
Speaker 8: Now that's right, Now, easy, I've.
Speaker 10: Got some hen because Taylor made for you, and now he's as good a time as any to fit him on.
Speaker 9: If you haven't got a thing on me, No, you haven't.
Speaker 10: Been home long enough to start any trouble here. But Chicago police remember you.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 10: We got a telegram at headquarters telling us she might be dropping over this way. The detectives in Chicago requested we haul you in and ask you a few polite questions about some second story jobs there.
Speaker 9: I haven't been in Chicago. If you hadn't been.
Speaker 10: So busy telling me what a big shot you are, you might have noticed that we were heading all the time for the police precinct.
Speaker 9: Oh now, officer, listen, this.
Speaker 8: Is a mistake.
Speaker 9: I just got him from San Francisco.
Speaker 7: I came all this way just for reunion with my boyhood chum.
Speaker 9: His name is Jimmy Well.
Speaker 10: Oh yes, yes, about jim Well.
Speaker 9: You know him.
Speaker 10: Everybody call him now before we get to the police, Priest, Saint, here's a little note for you. He can take a moment to read it here at this window, but be careful, no sudden moves. The note is from Commissioner Wells. Commission's right. He's been on the force nineteen years. His record was so brilliant that last year he was named the youngest police commissioner in the city's history. To night, he dug out his badge, down to his old uniform and walked his old beat. He said he was looking forward to meeting right on his old beat, the best friend he ever had in the world. Do you want the note, Silky?
Speaker 9: Give it here?
Speaker 6: The man from the West unfolded the little piece of paper. After slitting the envelope handed him. His hand was steady when he began to read, but it trembled a little by the time he had finished. The note was rather short.
Speaker 7: It said, Dear Bob, I was at the appointed place on time when you struck the match.
Speaker 8: I saw immediately that you were the man wanted in Chicago. It's a big world, Bob, with a lot of people in it. Obviously, you chose the wrong type of companions after we parted. If you hadn't, you wouldn't be in trouble now. My mom has been dead a long time, but I'm glad now that I followed her advice about living a clean, honest life. It was my duty to bring you in. Somehow I couldn't do it myself.
Speaker 7: So I went around around the precinct station and got a plain clothesman to do the job.
Speaker 9: Signed Jimmy, wells, okay.
Speaker 10: Come along, silky. I've got a feeling you're going to be out of circulation for a long long time.
Speaker 4: Well, both Jimmy and Bob were sadly surprised, weren't they.
Speaker 5: Yes, they were, But I certainly would rather be in Jimmy's shoes than in Bob's.
Speaker 4: That's for sure. Whether they're good or bad, our choices all have consequences, and we have to live with them.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 5: We hope you've chosen to sign up for Adventures in the Holy Bible.
Speaker 4: Just go to our website at your storyour dot org, click on adventure sign up and get started. That's your storyour dot org.
Speaker 5: Or send your request to us at your story Hour box eight Niles, n I. L. E. S. Michigan four nine one two zero, and please remember to include your return address.
Speaker 4: That's box eight Niles, Michigan, four nine one two zero.
Speaker 7: This has been your story hour, building for a better tomorrow.
Speaker 5: This is Ann Carroll and Uncle Ann saying goodbye everyone.
Speaker 9: See you again next time.