Speaker 1: Welcome to episode five sixty one of five and IVE. It is Thursday, July ninth. I am your host, Craig Goldstein, joined as usual by Patrick Dubuk and Jeffrey pattern Nostro. Have the last few days gone for you, guys? My last few days have been Deck. After I'm done with this podcast, I will continue to Deck. I will spend my life by the rest of my life in Deck.
Speaker 2: Last night, I'm not sure if this is a verber nown.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's needs Also, it's also just you never know what someone's like locational affect, Like I keep miss I'm like, oh, or when Patrick has typed it, I'm like, oh, okay, right, No, I know where he is now? No, I uh yeah, no. Yesterday last night, I closed my eyes, you know sometimes like if you play a video game for a long time, you start to see the video game. I closed my eyes.
Speaker 3: Just like, not even like I blinked. I closed eyes and I saw Deck. I saw a board that I had been standing earlier. That like, I recognized the board that I had been standing.
Speaker 1: I think that was the line specifically, when I was like, oh, I thought you were gonna type something else as a whrror story there. Yeah, I'm so sick of Deck. I'm sorry Patrick, Jeffrey.
Speaker 2: That all we're not we're not expounding further on the Deck.
Speaker 1: Oh, I don't if you want to talk about the game, Ian, what do you think? I mean, it stretches onto intinity. It's the it's the bleak Bleak to the end of time. Like, we can keep talking about it, but the everything we would talk about would still be Deck. I can. I can recap some of Patrick and my conversation last night, speaking of games that are burned into your retinas. I I had called to remember, Well, so apparently there's a new Heroes of Might and Magic. Either out makes sense, which is did you play that play? They've made one in like twenty years, but I have. I'm it's a prequel Patrick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the plot was very important in those games, exactly, I must have, but I could not tell you anything about it or which one it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they were all.
Speaker 2: Identical, right, No, I know, but I'm just saying.
Speaker 1: I really reference. And then the fact that there was also Might and Magic, which was a completely different game going on at the exact same time, very confusing. But Patrick and I were having this discussion, and I said, I remembered this very specific game where you had to do something in the game where you had like this can sound so dumb, but these were That's what these games were. You had, you had very you had to make them deck exactly. That's half the games now. Actually, yeah, hit his uh you had to throw he You had to get this guy across this like boiling water. And the way to do it in this game was to throw in a cold head of lettuce.
Speaker 2: Okay, they don't and they don't tell these they don't tell they told you.
Speaker 1: It's iceberg lettuce. It's iceberg lettus. That's that's a joke. That's what we were working with at the time. Okay, it was the it was the nineties. And I'm telling this to Patrick, But every time he would touch the lettuce or whatever, he would say, egads, that's cold, and that just sits. That scene of crossing the boiling water with that thing just at in my head. And he, of course said, no, I have no idea what the hell you're talking about. And I was like, you were my only hope. That's because those games sucked and I never played. Well sorry, anyway, I did find it immediately because it's the name. I found the name. I don't know, I was already searching for it. I found it so fast. And the reason why is because it's it's a King's Quest game for the Yeah, the follow up Quest six. Those games are so bad that that line. As soon as I heard them, I'm like, Okay, it must be a King's Quest game in a very derogatory sense, like oh did you I didn't because I found it before you sent the video. I found the title, but because I just had a feeling incredible anyway, horrible game. I spent so so much time on That's Gang's West. Yeah, and that's what Patrick and I talk about it night sometimes. Yeah, Jeffrey, it is.
Speaker 2: The most important. It is it day in the life of a soccer fan. It is the day Chefel Wednesday announced their kit for next year at least on one.
Speaker 1: Okay, very exciting.
Speaker 2: They have switched kit spot, not sponsor. Well, they twitch switched kit sponsor. They twitched kitchen kit manufacturers from Macron to Umbro, even though Umbro is not a real brand anymore in Europe. I'm reliably informed they're owned by somebody else. But yeah, and it's blue and white stripes with the collar. Okay, so soon they're always the same. But it's like there's nothing, there's no weird sublimation. They haven't put weird digital artifacting in the blue stripes, which is the thing they'd like to do, blue and white stripes with the collar.
Speaker 1: Now, what level are they at at this point?
Speaker 2: They're in League one and.
Speaker 1: That's okay, League one, it's the one the championship.
Speaker 2: Yes, you were relegated last year after obviously having probably the worst season, and.
Speaker 1: Now was any of that. They've had a lot of financial.
Speaker 2: Okay, so there is hope. I literally I clicked on it to like look at it. You can now just use shop pay or Apple pay to buy it, which is like a gigantic step forward for their merchandising and marketing department. The process before, let me tell you, was not. I would put in.
Speaker 1: My credit card.
Speaker 2: I had an account with the shop right because I ordered for my favor bit. I would put in like my credit card information in my address and just click a button and hope it went through.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, compared relationship, congratulations. Anything else we want to talk about? Yeah, not yet, Okay. Our first segment today the Journey for to Verlanden or am I doing that right? I don't know this reference.
Speaker 2: It's the Undying Land Craig beyond the scene where fro Do and Gandalf and the.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the rings, I apologize. Yeah, I saw the at least at least one or no, I saw two of the movies, because I definitely thought one of the movies was a repeat until sudden, suddenly something different happened at some point.
Speaker 2: I definitely, I definitely saw three of them in the theater.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not it's not even that I thought it was bad. I just I didn't read the books. I didn't whatever anyway, so I uh yeah, anyway, Justin Verlander has been added to the All Star Game as one of the commissioner's picks. He also released a statement thanking the commissioner for that and saying this season will be his last season. Now are we gonna see him the rest of the season.
Speaker 2: Wasn't there a statement that he's like, he's entry hard to get back or.
Speaker 1: He's gonna try. Yeah? Sure, yeah, I mean I I do think it's funny that the commissioner's picks in this thing are Justin Verlander injured and going to retire and not at all deserving in the sense of of anything about this season or even really you know, last season. Whatever, he's deserving it. He's a he's a star. That's fine. I don't care. But just the comparison being the other is Bryce Harper, who's just having a great season. Except as we as we cataloged last week, there are already four an ol first baseman and one of them Sal Stewart. So yeah, it's just like, you know, here's a guy who's deserving and is a star and having a great year, and also here's a guy who's about to get taken behind the woodshed.
Speaker 2: I did not realize that Berlanda was like an above average pitcher last year and threw one hundred and fifty innings.
Speaker 1: Maybe because it was for the Giants he closed. Yeah, it was as a real n No one paid paid edge to the Giants. He had a very strong like last six.
Speaker 2: See if they'd hired Tony Vitello last season, we all would have been paying it to the Giants in August and September. I would have noticed this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he uh, it was a rough Marshall season and then he I think came back from injury at some point. But yeah, from July twenty third through the end of the season he had a two to six to zero er and a three three, three six fIF So it wasn't like, you know, completely undeserved or anything. Yeah, really strong second half of the season. I do like, I mean, well, this will be quick, but I just want to take a tour of the things that Justin.
Speaker 3: Verlander leads the league and leads career active leaders in He is currently the active current leader in wins, losses, game started, innings pitched, earned runs, home runs allowed, walks.
Speaker 1: Allowed, strikeouts allowed.
Speaker 3: It's like it's like Phil Lecro's nineteen niney seventy seven season, ex just for the entire career, Like he is.
Speaker 1: Just the last of this guy.
Speaker 3: And you know, there's been some articles and everybody's been moaning like this is the end of an era, and it probably is the end of an era.
Speaker 1: The Maxers are will probably also pitching in and it's like.
Speaker 3: It's it's a little weird right that that, Like, I guess you could only pick one.
Speaker 2: Right, They're both in the American League, so.
Speaker 3: Exactly it seems like they should just kind of both be there the difference I guess is that Nextuerser will almost certainly pitch and maybe pitch badly in the second half, whereas very Lander probably won't. I know, it's it's just like, I'm not disagreeing with the choice of Verlander Versuser, but to me, they've always been just kind of like, you know, the same tier of excellence.
Speaker 2: Right, I would assume, sure are a second and a second and all the things you just named.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, anything else we want, I mean, career, you can save it for later. But I'm like, I don't.
Speaker 2: Announce his retirement. I feel like this is as good a time as any to you know, look back. I guess sure.
Speaker 3: It's funny like when you think about Verlander's career, it feels like he had well, and I remember having the one setback, right, the one point where it looked like he was done. It was around the same time that Felix was having his setback, and Verlander returned to greatness and Felix obviously didn't. And then you look at his numbers and it's like, no, yeah, a couple, yeah, you know, he had, you know, the for the COVID slash. Then twenty twenty one injury where he just basically missed two years of his career.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean you assume, like the thirty seven year old getting Tommy John surgery, like he was already a Hall of Famer at that, right, but you might like to assume he's done, right.
Speaker 3: And then he won the song and that's wild. I mean I kind of forgot how great he was in twenty twenty two in a one point seventy five year Right.
Speaker 2: They were talking about this on the MATS broadcast last night or his retirement, and Gary brought it up, and they always just always people always need to bring this up about Berlander. It's like, oh, yeah, he only threw like ninety three ninety four at the beginning of the stars and then had ninety eight at the end of it. Like I just is that actually true? Like I know he did say something in the tank, but I feel I feel like he could throw hard at like any point, like he just threw hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know, And it's one of those things I don't think we'll ever Yeah we have, like it's like we have we do now, Like I saw that, but he has like dat way back to I think he did. I think he was I mean it's Carlos Rodan does the same, not to yeah, not the same, but Carlos that too.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, you're going to just tell his arm just hurts the beginning to start that, right.
Speaker 1: No, for sure, well sure, but I just think like that is a thing he did too, right, whereas like he'd add two to three miles per hour of the course of the game. And do I think Forerlander could throw ninety seven from pitch one. Yeah, he's come out and talked about coming off that the TJ. Yeah, how the game he's he had some really actually interesting quotes about how he changed and he came out and started throwing as hard as he could all the time, max effort every pitch, and how that from the it.
Speaker 2: Was also more of like a contact suppression repertoire. Not that he show them strikeout guys when he came back.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean, obviously, look, he probably had to write because he lost something because he was older, and that's fine, but he said like this is this is the way the game is now. And I think the indication, obviously, or the implication was that that wasn't the case early on in his career. I think he could come out and throw ninety you know, ninety four for a couple of innings, and then ramp up as as the game went along. But that's not today's battery. You can't do that to today's batters anymore. Really, my recollection of this is he made these comments wearing like a triple A. He was doing like a rehab start, so he's wearing like the triple A. I don't know if they were sugar Land at the point, or if they were you know, wherever they were before Sugarland. I don't remember mine Hole affiliates like I used to, but I don't need Yeah, but he they're really interesting comments, and I do think they that he really did have to actually change the way he went about it towards the end of the of his career.
Speaker 2: I mean sure ser did too, right, Like the one of the hallmarks of Hall of Fame players in general is they can even if they're not elite in their late thirties, they can still be good, right Like they not only do they have a higher peak to sort of slide down from, but it's a more gentle decline in a lot of cases. Right like even Verlander. You know that Mets the season is split between the Mets and the Astros. In twenty twenty three, like he was he was hurt a little bit at the begining of the season. He was still a very good picture. Like being that good a picture at forty is just very unusual.
Speaker 1: They're not they're not normal guys.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean he won the Young at thirty nine. I mean he won the Young at thirty six, missed two seasons and won the Young again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly like.
Speaker 2: That, that's like freak stuff. But like in a way, like obviously he he won a World Series, he won two cy Youngs. He probably could have won two. You know, he has three second places in a third place, like he probably could have won a couple more elected higher than right, Like he led the Americ League in War two of the seasons, he's been a second as a pitcher. But like something about Berlander, like it was interesting, right because he had the early issues as a playoff pitcher, right, Like there's literally a Trump tweet about him not being good in the playoffs. That's how how known it was. And then you know it just went away, right because of his pitching down the stretch. He won two World Series on the second World Series. He won the World Series in twenty twenty two as well. They did not pitch great in that postseason. He pitched very well in twenty seventeen, and he was like also had the narrative of like being the last piece for them, right Like they had to like call him up at the deadline because Dallas Kikel had to call him with the deadline and get him to waive his no trade clause and like, no, no, you need to come here. And he's sort of spanned errors eras as a pitcher, right like when he when he came up and was had his initial success, right like the best pitchers in baseball were like Johan Santana and Tim Winscom Like it's it's that, you know, Roy Halladay, it's that far back, and now he's made it all the way to the end where it's like Jacob Zierowski throwing one hundred and five and he's like the good good, you know, for pretty much the entire time. But I do wonder because he's one of those guys, like is he one of those guys obviously just going in first ballot Hall of Famer, Like does he get actually remembered as one of the all time great pictures.
Speaker 1: I think so, if only because of timing, because I think there's gonna be because he's a last like there's a real shelf, and.
Speaker 3: I think, you know, increasingly it looks like Chris Sale will mitigate that shelf a little bit, right, But for a while, it looked like there was just going to be, you know, a five year you know, vacuum of absolutely no starters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, and it's gonna be.
Speaker 3: Zach Wheeler also probably, Yeah, Zac Wheeler might actually be the last real one of those guys, but not for not for nearly as.
Speaker 1: Long when you talk about being remembered, like twenty years from now. I don't know if Zach Wheeler gets the same. I mean, I think he's there right, like I think he's.
Speaker 2: There on Crystal right, because the numbers.
Speaker 1: Just he's Wheeler's dominance started.
Speaker 2: Too latelate, and Sale himself obviously had big gaps due to injury and underperformance.
Speaker 1: Well, and by the way, the other part on Wheeler is he's come out and said like, this is my last draft. I'm not going like he's not going to go to forty two. That actually might work in Wheeler's favor. Because maybe, but it hurts on the numbers compition, It will hurt on the stat side.
Speaker 3: But yeah, as far as reputation goes, I think going out on top will actually increase Wheeler's esteem for a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, you do have to, like you can't like I had already forgotten that Lander was good at the end of last year at the Giant.
Speaker 3: Exactly Dandy Johnson with the Giants, and yeah, I mean, but yeah, I mean, I do it's gonna be.
Speaker 1: I do think Verlander gets remembered because I think it's in that way that you're asking, Jeff, I think, along with Shures are in Kershaw. I think those three guys I mean, yeah, and to extent, but he think you and I think, but those those three have been a real tree. It's also kind of interesting you brought up the playoffs stuff. Obviously Kershaw gets gets his but like none of the three of them are particularly dominant playoff starr. They had their starts.
Speaker 2: Right, neither neither has sail for that matter, or he has not pitched as much in them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think people are going to pine for the workhorse aspect of his career for a long time, and people are just trying to wonder why can't people just be like Orlander and and that will, you know, because they.
Speaker 2: Always if they throw ninety four in the zone at the beginning of the start at goes four hundred.
Speaker 1: Feet, well people don't know. People will not translate that far.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I guess the closest to that right now is like Christopher Sanchez, who's obviously struggled a little bit his last through a few starts, and he was like, like, I think Sanchez is very good, but you look at Sancho's like his like literally the way he's built and the way he pitches, and you're like, Okay, how long is this actually gonna last?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: And he's like already almost thirty and he's one, you know, he's one games and throwing six hundred and fifty six innings in the majors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean again, he's he started too late.
Speaker 2: He did, and it was kind of like a swing man when he first came up to you know, bertlanderd because he was a high school pick and he did get up relatively quickly, though he wasn't really like a star until his mid twenties. But yeah, I'm just looking at the I'm just gonna use reference war since it's you know, a good enough counting stat for sort of like run prevention, a combination of like run prevention and how much you pitch. It's Sanchez, Missierowski, Burns, Wheeler, Schlitler, Hit Towardo Rodriguez, Dylan Sees, jt Jin Foster, Griffin, and Parker Massik are the top ten this year. Right, And it's funny because like in a way you can comp Missierowski and Berlin, right, like there's some young Verlander to his game, but also like he just how how is that going to work long term?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: I do think, yeah, I do think we can be a little too Baseball in general can be a little too in love with the guys that just play forever, like longevity versus peak.
Speaker 1: And I think like justice for Eric Bernard, Well, it's just it bothers me when we expect both.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, Like I like, enough of one should counter the other, right, I think I think Johann Santana and Mark Burley should both be in the Hall of Fame basically, right, like, yeah, there's room for both, and like obviously Verlander, like there this all the pictures we've named I think even Wheeler to an extent, are layups for Hall of Family. These are the easy ones, like you don't have to think about I think.
Speaker 1: Wheelers should be I don't. I don't know that he will. But he will not be a first ballot guy. Right, it's for sure, right, he might.
Speaker 2: He might have like the Felix track at the end of the day.
Speaker 1: Well, and again the hard part is and I'm going off memory, so I said, but he's not one aside, no, right, so like, which is absolutely insane. Yeah, Like, you cannot tell me he's not one of the best pitchers. But you know, it feels like he's been the second best pitcher every year. Yeah, somehow I it really that is he's finished second twice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean he did not really he had some teeth, so he had the obviously he was out basically two full year. I mean he did pitch, and I'm sorry he was out almost like three full years. He did pitch in twenty seventeen, but badly. Then he was alright with the Mats, and then it was he only went to the Phillies. He basically had his first full good season with the Phillies and twenty twenty one as a thirty one year old, and it's not like you know, he was a major prospectors in the Peltron trade, Like it wasn't like yeah, it was like kind of a it's not like a Christopher Sanchez type rise. But you know, I think he has what one more year on this contract? Yeah, is gonna Yeah what is he actually going to get? Like he'll probably get close to fifty war or something he stays healthy. Yeah, probably enough.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, like the way he's pitching right now, what's funny? Just the Phillies run is legitimately insane. Yeah, especially for, as you point out, starting at thirty one.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Right, Wheeler missed a month this year coming back from what seemed like a career altering, slash ending injury.
Speaker 2: It was the good Tosh.
Speaker 3: Kept saying, it was even better than we thought.
Speaker 1: He is now tied for second in our war for pictures in the nationally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so he could actually just be on pace for another second place finish behind his own teammate.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Incredible. Yeah, although I mean you say behind but Sancho Scott, Yeah, I know he can lit up yep. So who knows anything else we want to say on Verlander since we're talking about Wheeler.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just like one of the things about Verlander is the wins, and like, I think the other thing is that we're going to lose the concept of the win and we should probably just stop.
Speaker 1: Counting them entirely.
Speaker 3: But if you look at like the active win leaders, and we talk about active like not including people who are injured right now, so no, sure later fifth on the active leader list, Michael Waka with one hundred and sixteen. This is where we stand. We should just just take them away.
Speaker 1: You can also like.
Speaker 2: Jokana and Patrick Corbett in the top ten two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, keep counting wins for Anne Ashby and no one else.
Speaker 2: Carlos Carrasco. I think he's back with the Brads again. He might be able to su behind.
Speaker 1: Corbyn not not to just inject discourse into this, but we don't. We don't have it on our list for around the Horns. So I'll just say it now when we're removing people through seven innings or six innings of Perfect Game. Yeah, you know, because it's now happened again since we had the Uri Peiz discussion, we have uh, Jerry Jones, Yeah, and and look I still generally feel the same. Jared Jones is a little bit different than Yeah, at someone pointed out I think it was Chris Towers. He hadn't thrown more than eighty one pitches in a game in two years. That's that's a little I understand Yuri was coming off the i L as well and has been injury prone. He was coming off a groin issue, and you know, it's just and he has.
Speaker 2: Thrown more than he does have very long he does have very long groins.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, he does gricillis. Please, But like they are, I understand grouping them and that's fine, but they are different cases in terms of of that injury.
Speaker 2: These are all individualized situations and backgrounds and things like that.
Speaker 1: Right now. Uh so, let's just go to our second segment. So you're telling me there's a chance speaking of the Tigers, Yeah, the Tigers and the Red Sox are surging.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean, yeah, they are.
Speaker 1: They are too are they are damning with faint praise. But if you say they're surging, and they're they've won four in a row, the Red Sox Tiger version, the surging five in a row. The Tigers have them for the Twins have also won four in a row.
Speaker 2: Sure they were not quite to the depths. Yeah, they're already. I didn't even see there.
Speaker 1: Back to one game, one game below five hundred. The Tigers are five and a half out in the division. Yeah, they are four out in the wild card. Ye, they have one four teams between them and the Rangers in the last wild card spot. I've said this all along, so I don't know that we need to go along. I don't think the Tigers should should bail in.
Speaker 2: This season, don't They might not?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I didn't mention them when we talked about the Pirates and the trade deadline last pod. But one of the Tiger's biggest problems, actually, the Tiger's biggest problem has been their bullpen. Well in the third base coach or they just fired that will fix the bullpen. Don't worry about it.
Speaker 2: I mean you say that, but also, like man, they have some there are some easy layups in this lineup if you just like get a Vedrand.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying you can't also fix the lineup. But as much as you want to address that, the biggest problem has been the bullpen. Kenley Jansen has been really bad. It's it's basically everyone I think they are. They have the worst w p A like performances in terms of all bullpens. Well, yeah, he's falling apart.
Speaker 2: Kyle fin again has like the fakest low t e r A possible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is it's fine, always fine. This is fangrast w p A. But Detroit has uh minus almost minus five.
Speaker 2: That's a lot.
Speaker 1: That's a lot.
Speaker 2: That's a lot for before the All Star break.
Speaker 1: That's like like the Angels are within the Angels are within shouting distance. The next closest teams, the Royals are close to minus three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean not that you want to be in.
Speaker 1: It is a staggering yeah like level of bad performance. Right and again this should be a market where they can go fix that. Luke Weaver should be good for this team, right like and and probably not cost a ton right And they have some pieces.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's a weird system now because.
Speaker 1: It's weird system, but they have these like semi catcher guys. And look you have Dylan Dingler who looks like the real deal. You can you can move. You might not want to, but you can move Tehran Lorenzo or jo I don't know what they've done this year.
Speaker 2: But Lorenzo like isn't even really a catcher anymore. Bersania is back now, but he's been hurt.
Speaker 3: You can afford relievers like they don't even they don't even need great relievers. They just need relievers. You can get those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you said they could use Luke Weaver, which they could. They could also use like a J.
Speaker 1: Minter. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah. I mean again, I think they fit that pirate's mold of Yeah, the way that the deadline is breaking seemingly at least, it's something that could really come to them in a way. And and you know, Troy Melton looks really good.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm not shocked, but I'm surprised these are this guy as a starter.
Speaker 1: He's just not walking anybody. Had a great start against the Yankees, obviously, you know Aaron judge him, but his not his most recent start, that was yesterday.
Speaker 2: But I mean though the Tigers, like part of the Tigers surge has been this. They beat the Yankees every time they play them, but they're done playing them now.
Speaker 1: But yeah, no, I don't know, I think this is uh. I don't think the Tigers should be selling the Red Sox, who are ahead of the Tigers by two in the lost column. I don't know if I feel the same way.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the they're twelve back in the division is part of it, right, Like the Tigers just have more. It's here because they can also win the ale Central, where the Red Sox are not going to win the Ale Central no matter, no matter, no matter how fraudulent Craig thinks.
Speaker 1: The Rays are there, they are putting they are not that fraudt Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very funny too because again, like this, you just mentioned the Twins, right, like I do.
Speaker 1: Twins have been bad in my mind the entire season.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, that's the thing. It's like like I knew at one point they'd gotten five hundred, and then like last I looked they were six under or something, so I just thought they were still there.
Speaker 1: You have mental image of the Twins is also ran.
Speaker 2: You have a seven and three week or ten games week and a half, like you're you're just going to be there, like the gravitational pull of the wild card three is just there for you.
Speaker 1: Sometimes Cody Clemens puts you on his back. Sometimes Cody Clemens puts you on his back.
Speaker 2: Obviously this isn't around the horn, but shockingly Byron Buckston has gone yeah back on the il there. But you look at the I'm excuse specifically on the Red Sox Craig because of our good friend Brady who has been the entire season in the Fray Kids discorgeous, like not losing his bund but just being very frustrated with things like Mickey Gasper batting lead off and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: I'm with him on that.
Speaker 2: But you look at the last month or so, like there's getting enough from the offense.
Speaker 1: Now not show up in the seasonal lines.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, like Caleb obviously, you know Wilson Contreras is an all star.
Speaker 1: Now well I also think like Wilson and Treris starting fight and look, the last one was justified. I'm not sure debating that, but starting fights and getting into stuff, and it's also being your best player kind of being a prick. Yeah. Frustrating, Yeah, frustrating season.
Speaker 2: Like Saddane rapie Ella is just like having the Saddana rafael A season.
Speaker 1: This is not the Sudan Saidan raphael season. It is. He's got a one twenty oh ps plus. That's phenomenal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the one sixty io is a little little more than you.
Speaker 2: I mean it was one sixty five last year. The difference is bad. It has gone up sixty points. I don't know how sustainable. Actually, you know, notable. It's notable. I don't know how sustainable it is.
Speaker 1: But you know, count Jared Durand to remember who he is. Yeah, they really can. I mean again, will Your is just will having will Your season?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Will You's having a Wilrior season. Uh, you know again the observing Suarez also just injured, but has been quite good for them. Jake Bennett, Let's talk about Jake Bennett.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about Jake Bennett.
Speaker 2: I really like that trade for them, And well, yeah, ye again, I don't think I don't think he's I don't think he's this good. I do not think he is going to maintain a sub zero point five home runs for nine and that park pitching like he does, but pretty good. Sonny Gray Likenny Gray is kind of in the Trek Schooble spot now of like do you really you want to trade Sonny Gray? Like we're only two weeks removed from Sonny Gray saying he might.
Speaker 1: Wait when you look at their pitching. I think, is Roman Anthony ever coming back? Do we know? I don't know, because they could really use him. Speaking of guys who should be hitting lead off, right, like Peyton totally has the mass Pike has.
Speaker 2: He's just not been missing bats, but he's been fine.
Speaker 1: Not recently, but he's got eighty stretch outs in eighty innings. That's not bad.
Speaker 2: Right, Early has been Early.
Speaker 1: Is hurt but again looking pretty good. Like you get Sonny Gay, Sonny Gray, Ranger Suarez who again was good until the most recent injury, and then these three arms young arms coming out for you with Early again also hurt totally, and Bennett like once they got Bao out of this rotation. Yeah right, I mean, like this this is a pitch. Part of the reason I would say, like you don't necessarily I know, I said, I don't feel the same way as I do about Detroit. I don't feel as strongly, but I think if you wanted to say, don't sell this, this could be a force in the playoffs. With this kind of pitching. The infield is still ye especially it's awful League. I like that you did just Combine and Caleb.
Speaker 2: Obviously it has been great. But the breadth of that.
Speaker 1: Is I should know this off the top of my head and I don't. But like, is is there anyone trade wise they could I mean, it seems like they're committed to not replacing Trevor Store. I know he's on the aisle, so that's not the issue right now, but like in general, but like it doesn't where can they go from here? I don't. I don't know if is there a middle infielder, Like it's you know, not really.
Speaker 3: I joked about Jeff McNeil later in the doc, but I mean, you know, Durban is still below you know, underwater on the season, but eight sixty nine ops over those last twenty eight dance that's part of this.
Speaker 1: This team performing better.
Speaker 2: It's not just it's not just Story being bad and hurt like Meyer has also.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, they've been getting by with Anthony Siegler. Yeah, they will probably not continue to get by with Anthony Anthony Siegler.
Speaker 2: Switch throwing catcher, first rounder from like twelve years ago or whatever it is now.
Speaker 3: Probably Yeah, they've curls and narvass is falling apart, but they've it's been okay because Connor Wong has just decided to hit for a couple of months.
Speaker 2: That's probably he does that every year, that everywhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but only a couple of months.
Speaker 2: Only a couple of months.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're up the expiration date his head. Yeah. Yeah. To me, there's like I feel more comfortable with Detroit. There's so many holes in this Boston lineup especially. Yeah, the pitching's great, but man, well you.
Speaker 2: Said, but like the Tiger's outfield outside of Riley Green is like really bad.
Speaker 1: Also has Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: They have the inverse problem where their first basement and third baseman.
Speaker 1: Have not been good.
Speaker 2: Those are probably easier positions to just find a one oh five ops plus stop gap in July than second.
Speaker 1: Basements is a one o five ops guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Fair, And that's the difference is that the Red Sox problems have been black holes, right, Even Tigers good problems have been potholes. Yeah, right, like they are not I mean in the infield anyway, right, Like cold Keith is a problem. He's also a ninety ops plus guy thus far in the season. Not right, you can live with that, and easier to believe that he'd be one hundred going forward, right, I don't know if I can buy it with Marcel Mayer anymore. And to your to your point on the outfield, like Matt Matt Verlin and ones Paris have been the black holes. But like Kerry Carpenter was hurt and he's healthy again and he's not crushing it like he has in the past. But one you know, one one eleven ops plus sorry, like that's that's a significant improvement, right, that's enough of improvement. And look, you can run him out in a corner outfield spot. Your defense is bad.
Speaker 2: Fine, But and the other thing is like the Red Sox, like Wilson Contreras has been better than any of the Tigers hitters, but you have that, you know, the Dingler McGonagall, Riley Glean uh hard back again. Yeah, it's just like it's a little bit deeper to sequence stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, this team needs Taylor Ward. I know, if Taylor right, but the Orioles aren't selling, the Orioles should sell. They've lost three in a row, and they won three in a row and then lost three three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think the other thing is that, yes, they need a Ray fielder, they need a dh Those things are going to be easier to find than Boston's problems in the middle endfield.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is Patrick gonna you just discuss this with Ginny and our chapel, Like this is when we would start to win our deadline dreaming kind of stuff. But like it's such a weird deadline. It's hard to know. It's hard to do it. But maybe we should do it by team instead of playing you know, players. See what these guys can can turn up. I did skip to the Tigers out of you know, a sense of a useful transition. But the Marlins are also in a playoff spot right now. They are tied. They are tied with the Phillies. They are fifty one and forty two. They have been.
Speaker 2: They are actually, in a more real sense, surging fifteen and.
Speaker 1: Four in their last nineteen games. I was gonna say it is it is a win five, same as the Red Sox. They are seven and three in the last ten, same as the Tigers.
Speaker 2: So let's you know again, I don't I know how they are doing this, but like none of this feels real to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, Kyle so Towers has come off the eye all and hit Yeah, that's part of it. Otto Lopez still hitting three forty five, William Hickson, Mike just I think I'm not gonna say anyone's gonna hit three forty five. I think Lopez is legitimately good.
Speaker 2: For sure, but like, to me, it's that I don't know how they're doing. This is more like the starting pitching. Yeah, like they don't like you run out of names literally very quickly.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a five person rotation. I mean the first three names have all been really good.
Speaker 2: Well, Max Meyer has been really good, Like Tyler Phillips like keeps Tyler Phillips is basically.
Speaker 1: Getting away with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, very much.
Speaker 1: Like, Yeah, he's a worse chance and Junk. I don't like Sandy al Contra has not been that great. Tovanas he's eaten ins, Yeah he does. Your Perez has been Yeah, he's been.
Speaker 2: Still he's a little home run prone still, but like he's been good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is like I was I can't remember what I was talking to about this, but oh, the Blue Jays, Like.
Speaker 1: It's a it's a lot easier to look at these teams.
Speaker 3: When they come to the deadline when you need a number four starter than when you need a number two starter. And the Blue Jays are in the same situation they have three good starters, there's a you can fourth starters can be had now a Marlins buying anything, but you could like, if the Marlins are buying anything, they could get a fourth starter.
Speaker 1: They could get a.
Speaker 3: Oh I can't remember who I looked up to fit the bill, but.
Speaker 1: Trying to think, oh, bratty singer, like pretty singer would.
Speaker 2: Be fine, especially that'd be a nice, much friendlier park for him to pick.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. With the Marlins was always the question of the.
Speaker 2: Actually do anything right and then like if they don't, how long can they keep doing this? And it's it's funny because like they've been.
Speaker 1: It would be kind of a shame if they didn't. Like they've been. They're in a really good spot and like they've got if they could really use a center fielder, yes, has been awful.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, and like they've like this is on some level, I don't want to say deserved, but like they've been. They're like the sixth best offense and tenth best pitching staff. But I also like, I don't know how.
Speaker 3: Exactly I mean, they have both Leo Jimenez and Estuary Ruiz.
Speaker 2: Yes, not that I remembered that.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I mean they're just they're getting Look, we've talked about their approach of like Stours and Casey, these guys that are slug forward whatever, but they're getting not great seasons, but relatively good.
Speaker 1: Right, Like Owen Casey is a one ten ops plots, he also is a two ninety seven opp.
Speaker 2: Right, is one good for him?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: He's good lately, will like somebody somebody's sitting well, well they're going.
Speaker 2: For their bullpen has been like okay, but not in a way where you're like, okay, well, they're just winning more close games.
Speaker 1: How much do you believe in Michael Peterson and John King? Right?
Speaker 2: And like I think Calvin helm is a hilarious line nine and a half strikeouts for nine, six walks for nine, but he has given up a homer all season. Yeah, and like Fairbanks hasn't been good either.
Speaker 1: No, it's Michael Peterson, Yeah, yes, who was a Dodgers cast off. Yeah, right, like a guy they could not keep on the forty man who's been legitimately good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a what disease a British petroleum it's the nickname good nickname.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh that is pretty good. Yeah. Yeah. Uh and and John King? I mean those are those are really the two guys?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, I like John King.
Speaker 1: It's fine.
Speaker 2: I like John King. It's like the fourth best reliever in your pen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so. The question is I think there's a case the Marlins like shouldn't go in, But the question is who behind him really deserve it either.
Speaker 2: I guess the Cardinals could catch them and might catch them. I mean the Cardinal will just continue to bas late between four and seven games over and the Marlins.
Speaker 1: The Cardinals are two games back and also have some identifiable like look, if they could get.
Speaker 2: A second of teams, they could use four starters, but they.
Speaker 1: Need the two a second starter. And I think for that, like it's kind of funny because they're both.
Speaker 2: You know, they're at different points in the rebuild, and the Marlins were just always going to have a longer rebuild because they're the Marlins. But also it does feel like both teams are like a year too early here, So it's like how hard do you push in a year too early? This is like what the twenty twenty that's Orioles question.
Speaker 1: That's almost every team running The Marlins, the Cardinals the Nationals. I don't know if the and also the Marlins are always they're like about eight years overdue. But like then you have the Pirates and then okay, then you hit the Padres and Diamondbacks, who are yeah, just disappointing.
Speaker 2: Just ta yeah, and you like we're discussing this in the just if that's true.
Speaker 1: Of the teams behind them, like why not do it? Then you're in the whole position because.
Speaker 2: A jpreler might just buy all five games back, like he's very capable of doing that.
Speaker 1: They're also, by the way, there are three games back of the division. That's not out of the question.
Speaker 2: The Braves are kind of a mess.
Speaker 1: I think Atlanta and Philadelphia are both better than Miami. I do, but we're in late early July.
Speaker 2: Being the Marlins. There is value in like even a token show of going for it here, yes, and like there is value in like making the the other thing was like the Marlins, as I look at.
Speaker 1: This, also just go get a first baseman. Yeah, now, but is there any center fielder that they can.
Speaker 2: Like, I don't because of the I don't know, both on a overall outcome level and a sequencing outcome level. If you can really project them all this again.
Speaker 1: Next you go get Jack McCarthy from from there, the Rockies. I don't believe he can hit outside of course, he's having a nice season. Yeah, I don't think he can hit outside of course, but.
Speaker 2: We're gonna around a lot of problems there. Get Mickey Moniac.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I also don't think he can hit us, of course. Yeah, I don't know. I just think that, like you said, like making a token effort seems about right here, and I and I think he could end up with them in a six yeah, the sixth playoff spot. Like, I don't think it's out of the question. This lineup is better than you.
Speaker 2: Think, right They're they're kind of there's a little bit of like match energy here too. When they get on base, they're kind of pain to deal with.
Speaker 1: I mean Edwards and Lopez get on base. Yes, Edwards is at three eighty six and Lopez is at three seventy five, and they're on base percentage, and then they have the guys who slot like, yes, oh, in case, he's gonna make a lot of outs, he's.
Speaker 2: Gonna but he's gonna hit the occasional three run home run and now.
Speaker 1: Way exactly and as Patrick said, and we kind of blew by it. But like Liam Hicks, Yeah, Liam Hicks is just he's got a one thirty oh ps plus. Yeah, we're in July.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like he's just doing strikeout right, that might.
Speaker 1: He sure does, but he has more importantly is a sixty percent non strikeout right, and that's all whop, it's the all or nothing, but like this is the right yeah yeah. But but also what Liam Hicks was a rule five last year, right, yep, yep. That's a hell of a five. Yep.
Speaker 2: That wow, that's is he just what's his che I.
Speaker 3: Love the five runs, and I said the odds of him hitting another five are about as good as him staying at five the rest of the year.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna let you finish your thought here, Jeffrey, and then try and move us along. Yeah yeah, oh no.
Speaker 2: You know, look, one case, he has dropped his chase raight under thirty percent, which I did not think he would do. Embraces, So he's just striking out on pitches in the zone. John kindact breaks seventy nine.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, badly, So he's just watching pitches in the zone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's dropped his swing rate a lot. He has gone from swinging again. It's a small sample of sides with actually have to look at the triple A numbers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's just like everything is he's but just below average enough at everything that adds up to a strikeout, right basically, Okay, Yeah, we're.
Speaker 1: Moving on to our bileak weekly Al West check and we're still in you're telling you.
Speaker 2: That nobody, nobody is surging, but everyone has.
Speaker 1: Sadly, sadly, there is a chance. Yes, literally, the top four teams in this have a streak that starts with an L. Yeah. If you look at the standings, the Mariners are on top by half a game. They want THEE.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just I know we all keep waiting for the Mariners to get to like six yelds. Now, I'm had to, Well, you're here when you're stuck with us Patrick one way to the other, you're along for the Ride's look, any team can play what are their seventy games left in the season. Any team can play forty and thirty baseball the rest of the way. That's not like that good, right, right, But none of these teams are that good.
Speaker 1: So I don't know that we're wrong to just keep waiting for the Mariners. It might never happen, but I think that's the right play, so to speak. They actually have a positive run differential, for example. I again, I have not checked in on them.
Speaker 2: Exactly nothing. Still, yeah, this is not exactly I know he missed time. This is not a small sample size of him being bad anymore. It's two sixty three plate appearances.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like, and he played a lot last year. He did.
Speaker 2: Emerson and Young have come up and been fine, like league average hitters, which is, I guess better than they would have had.
Speaker 1: I mean better better than the tal Rawley's line against left handers. I've been a different split to tell you guys. But yeah, go ahead, one two thirty seven five. That's bad, Luke Rayley.
Speaker 3: Over the last twenty eight days one sixty three, two eighty six, it was.
Speaker 1: Fun, It was fun. Yeah. Yeah. But Patrick has dominic Ken Zone doings still good, still really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And like the pitching just hasn't. The pitching has been fine, but they've entered a year where they need the pitching to be better than fine. Basically.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, look, Canzone and Rose Reina have been fantastic Brandon Donovan has been a good one on the fields, he's just not on the field. He sounds like he's starting to rehab assignment soon.
Speaker 3: Logan and Gilbert might be like the most underwhelming All Star snub, Like he probably deserves it, and also it's hard to he'll probably still get in with some other people decide they can't pitch. Like he's technically had a good year. It does not feel like it at all.
Speaker 1: Uh, I don't know. It's it's a it's a weird team. I don't like it. Yeah, it's not a particularly enjoyable team.
Speaker 2: And again, like nothing has changed with the Ragers. Wyatt Langford was back on the IL. Josh Young is somehow not on the IL and still hitting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they got Josh Smith back sure from the IL. He's in the minors, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, they did option him options.
Speaker 1: They also optioned him. I think I know he had an injury. He I think he's been better since coming back, is what I was going to say.
Speaker 2: Wherever it's it's like they have a slightly better offense than the Mariners and slightly worst pitching staff.
Speaker 3: Basically, yeah, Mackenzie Gore, Uh, that trades looking real rough so far.
Speaker 1: Which is wild too, because like he's basically been.
Speaker 2: Basically it's like slightly worse. I guess run suppression.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it is. Mackenzie Gore's All Star appearents going to seem weird in retrospect because he just had that incredible half the season.
Speaker 2: And there are guys like that. It's not a career four point two eighty r A at this point. Like they take so many pitchers. Yeah, I guess, so, I just don't am And they asked again, that's just are also still just around.
Speaker 3: When they win, they win by one or two, and when they lose, they lose by the.
Speaker 1: Minus forty eight run front real.
Speaker 2: Obviously Jeremy Pania had gotten healthy and good and then stopped being healthy.
Speaker 3: Uh, they have one so in the in the last month, they have won two games by more than two runs.
Speaker 2: That's wild. It's not like it's a great bullpen either.
Speaker 1: One of them was three runs. It's a it's a very weird if you, by the way, if you if you want to go get a first basement Christian Walker. Yeah, yeah, they're Houston is not gonna.
Speaker 2: I mean they're gonna. They're talking about like being in the trek Schooba market.
Speaker 1: So yeah, they're not gonna sell very.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Probably they're very unpredictavir nions.
Speaker 1: I don't know. It's like monopoly when you.
Speaker 2: Do get name the amar Ochoa.
Speaker 1: But like, yeah.
Speaker 2: I think like Kevin Alvarez is their best prospect and he's not. Yeah, he's not gonna headline of schoople trade, and it might be the second piece of Schooble trade if you had a better first piece. But as mentioned, he might be the best.
Speaker 1: This team being I don't even want to call him good. But like even in the range of ivan, this regaon is under five hundreds is staggering to me.
Speaker 2: It's just this is It's just this is an example of if you put enough decent players around a guy having a ten win season.
Speaker 1: But it's not there's there's like Jeremy ping is having a very nice season.
Speaker 2: Is hurting Parade is having the parade a season?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know what with the Crawford boxes, like he should be ten percent better than this. I get like, it's not even he's a it's fourteen percent better than league average, But the Crawford boxes, the guy who pulls the ball in the air all the time. He should be better than that. And then it's Christian Walker. Everyone else is like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Paradis also got off to a horrible start, so he didn't.
Speaker 1: Yea, that's fair, but like it's it's I mean, Bryce Matthews is bad. Everything else here is not. I thought was gonna be good after his his good season bad. Yeah, I mean every everyone, it's just your non Alvarez it is.
Speaker 2: I mean, like the pitching has been fine.
Speaker 1: Like they just had to option Mike Burrows. They's been so fine they had to send him.
Speaker 2: To the uh you know they have hater back now and he's been good. Yeah, and like the rest he throws one. I mean, I know, I'm just saying that that's probably how they're winning some of these close games.
Speaker 1: Like the pen is not like she has been okay, Okay, Hunter Brown is off the I L and he okay, you can count on him. I know, am I has been a little bit better of Like he has a six e r A Y in the season. Peter Lambert legitimate development there or five e r A.
Speaker 2: It's not it's about right, I think for him.
Speaker 1: But also it just walks too many guys. I mean, I don't think he's bad, but walk too many guys.
Speaker 2: This is not They've turned a J. Bluebaugh into a pretty good reliever. Yeah, they're relieve their relievers. They're both actually is pretty good looking at this now. Like again, I don't know how sustainable.
Speaker 1: And that's with Brian being terrible. Yeah, who had been an elite reliever up until this point. Yeah, what a way to find out Nate Pearson is in the majors. There you go. I mean who knew? Yeah, but he is here. Uh yeah, I don't know. They're getting a very nice uh stretch out of a limber Santa.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like a limber Santa a little bit. That's like a middle reliever.
Speaker 1: Uh he's a one one seven. You're a well striking out five per nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, he'll strike out more than that, I think one would.
Speaker 1: Hope. Let's take a break. Well, so, yeah, but we'll make it quick. You're in the audience longer than leaving. The buck should sell and have nothing to sell. Yeah, So there you go. On that note, let's take a break and we'll be back with the rest of the show. Welcome back to the episode five hundred and sixty one of five and dive. We're on segment three going around the Horn. Bad news in Pittsburgh. Yeah, it's not just that Dennis Santana has entered the game that is bad news in Pittsburgh. But Connor Griffin has a torn ligament in his hand. Looks to be out until late in the season. We'll say it sounds like this is something he could conceivably play through. You don't want if you're the Pirates, what's up?
Speaker 2: You don't want to make him play day that.
Speaker 1: You don't want it? Right, No, you don't. The Orioles too, Yeah, but the Pirates don't. I think that's the right call. It's also a pretty devastating call to have to make, right. Yeah, like that, he's been stellar.
Speaker 2: The Pirates just going to end up. I mean they they could use him. But yes, he was also better before the first injury.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean he had he he had been doing well right his last twenty I guess it's it's eight games or whatever you do. He had been doing pretty well before this. He's allowing a round league average on the season, but he also gave you some upside to go with it. Yeah, and the replacement is literally Jared Triola. It is always and there's no there's no around the average there, and there's no upside there. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Are they just going to be sellers? Is that what's going to happen if they have the time to sell?
Speaker 1: But I don't think so. Yeah, No, I don't think. I think the Pirates too, How can you?
Speaker 2: Right, but they're running into is they've kind of hung around five hundred and they're now in the wrong league to be hanging around five hundred.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And there's no obvious, like clear upgrade other than like just there are fours out of a wild card spot and the two teams in between them and the spot are or three teams excuse me, are the Nationals, Cardinals and then the Marlins. I don't I don't think you can just now, look, the Pirates don't care about justifiably doing anything. I mean, but would you particularly be better than the Padres rest of the way like right there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's like that. I don't know either, but you're comparing them to the Pirates, So.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think Look, the I don't know, you've gotten Jared Jones back. He obviously looked good this last time out. It's been uneven, to say the least. Buba Chandler's entire season has been uneven. Yeah, Paul Skeens has been giving a lot back of late he hash and Mitch Keller has been giving it giving it back all season.
Speaker 2: But Kemer Majinsky still yeah, but I just also added to the All Star Game roster.
Speaker 1: Has has been good. It's weird to say that the problem with the Pirates is on the pitching side, but it seems to be the case. They're getting solid years out of Nick Gonzales, out of Brian Reynolds, who I frankly was cooked. I mean, that's more than solid. He's been very good. Ryan O'Hearn, who I liked that signing, has been very good.
Speaker 2: Brandon Lowe obviously like he's has been. Yeah, but he's settled in as words, once again hurt but went healthy.
Speaker 1: Yeah good. They have an absolute black hole at d H and catcher.
Speaker 2: If I gets healthy, yeah, Andy Ryder Guess is now hurt as well.
Speaker 1: So exactly if if Ryan Jeffers gets healthy, yeah, they should be extremely in on him right the playoffs. But you know what I'm saying, right like that kind of they need to be Maybe they need to be in on Hunter Goodman, who the pirates are going Like, I'm saying the same thing, but as a joke, as a joke, maybe they need to be in on Francisco Alvarez Jeffrey. Yeah, apparently the point is you can address that. Yeah, I think you can definitely find somebody. I guess they're not going to trade him, I guess, but go get Josh Bell again. Right, well whatever, find a DH. Find someone who's not as bad as Marcello Zuna at DH. Mark Biento's is available, I said, not as bad as Marcelo's Inna. But yeah, the problem, the problem, and the problem they can't really fix is the pitching side. So they can go get relievers, like I said, but you just kind of have to stick with this rotation group and say, I hope it gets better. Yep. I just closed my eyes for a second and I thought my deck deck. Yeah, sorry, keep going, It's all right. Wilson Contreras, we mentioned he's going to the Ulstar Game and going to participate in the home run derby. Doesn't seem like a home run derby guy.
Speaker 2: To me, it's just a pretty hard But yeah, sure, it's it's just not the guy.
Speaker 1: The guy. The guy who's going to the home run derby that seems like a home run derby guy to me is Jordan Walker.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean, I just I'm just looking forward to him painting like twenty home runs four hundred and thirty feet all to like right.
Speaker 1: And frankly, the rule a rule change to to swings is probably to Walker's benefit. Yeah, because he's he's really strong. He's got a long swing. But those guys when they have to swing a lot, which they did for for the timed ones, tire out real quickly. And this thing where he can conserve and just it's the swings that he takes that that count. I mean, I think you can hit it out to he in in Citizens Bank, He's going to hit it out anywhere you can go, opposite field, doesn't matter. He can mishit it and get it out in that ballpark.
Speaker 2: I also think like it helps like Camon Arrow has the long max effort swing like more than anybody, so just being able to pick.
Speaker 1: His well, yeah, and then he's he's the the swing speed guy. It's it's fair. I guess Walker swings really hard.
Speaker 3: To Walker second CA's first walker, second, O'Neil Cruiz is third, Wilson Contreras tenth.
Speaker 1: Now he's no Garrett Mitchell, Well, maybe that does honestly, and this park probably helps Contreras more than and some of those. Do we have anyone else in the All Star Game? Is it just the three?
Speaker 2: The only three an ounce so far?
Speaker 1: They mean they needed cam Smith, should be should be in the homework. My understanding is Schwarber and Harper are considering it. It would make sense if at least one of them did it, given it to the hometown.
Speaker 2: Shorter's done it before, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so as Harper won it in this last hometown round under questionable circumstances in uh in Washington.
Speaker 2: I assume we'll get Hunter Goodman in it, which sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure he's not. He was I think came in.
Speaker 2: I think Ben Rice said he was considering doing it too.
Speaker 1: This is news to me. But Tyler Tolbert inside the consecutive hits, yeah, I mean he he played, he played the Mouts, He played the Mets, okay, I.
Speaker 2: Think went five for five diet and then then failed to break it in his sixth at bat in that sixteen to twelve game, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, not all of them were in field hits. Every single one I saw was an in field hit. Yeah, a lot of dribblers, a lot of like it was a real Tyler Tolbert record.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's good, like this is great.
Speaker 3: It's great that the last two guys to have done this are Tyler Tolbert and Roberto Clemente. Yeah, nothing better than for baseball?
Speaker 1: What was what was Joey? Was it on on base or was it hits Joey Weimer to start the season right, as Jeffrey mentioned Byron, Buxton has a hip strand and has landed on the injured list.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep, yep, yep the Twins or hey Polanco off the eye out is.
Speaker 1: Yeah? You ain't a home run in his first game? Right?
Speaker 2: No he didn't, well he did.
Speaker 1: They called it back for Ashley being found and he walked, oh right right right right, I don't yeah, have anything to add to this. He's back, He's back, okay, back Wood Druff's dead arm is dead dead? What what is that? So?
Speaker 3: Yeah, this morning it was revealed the different they have found, they have found where it is and it's not good. Okay, so he is almost certainly out for the year. Yeah, which I guess you could have assumed, but now it's official.
Speaker 1: That is a bummer. Yeah. Yeah. And lastly, Cooper Ingle is option back to triple.
Speaker 2: I I am so annoyed by this. He's out for the mid season fifty he's not gonna make it, but I'm still I literally went through the list yesterday to see, like who was over, Who isn't going to be a chance to be sent down? But who wasn't over on days or at bats or whatever?
Speaker 1: And then would he have been so would he have been on it before you got called up? Because I don't I was going to say, do we want to talk about his seven game foura into the majors? Yeah? What a rug? Yeah, ill advised.
Speaker 2: I would say it wasn't I don't think.
Speaker 1: Ninety five. But they called him up to play exclusively left.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's that part of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't. I don't say there was the like they.
Speaker 2: Needed another possibly league average bat, and I'm a little surprised they pulled the PLT, Like, I don't think it's going to matter a ton, but we might not be trading Mark Bianto's he might have just broke his hand on a hit.
Speaker 1: By pitch.
Speaker 2: But uh yeah, I mean I get it, like and they I guess they got the laughter back right and somewhere in here too, so that they did that helps, Like they get to like, you don't want to you don't want to guild the lily too much. As the Guardians lineup like three or four above average hitters, is fine, like you don't anymore, you know, very weird.
Speaker 1: That takes us to what to watch. It's a tough week.
Speaker 2: I got to the doc last and thought I had two options, so it's.
Speaker 1: Well, wait till you hear who Patrick and I picked. I'll start. Yeah, I went with the Blue Jays at the Padres. This is a this is a they're having.
Speaker 2: But it's also like it's like moving Day at Augusta right, like you got it, you gotta that is time. Somebody's got to win this series and whoever doesn't like Yeah, and neither.
Speaker 1: Of them want to, which they don't even get the villain Ces Revenge Game because Toronto is throwing out three tvds. Yeah, there's a lot of tvds in the schedule, and the Padres are throwing out JP sears, Walker Bueler and Herman.
Speaker 2: Marpigino, Guys, I had no idea were on the teams that they're on.
Speaker 1: JP series came out and and uh, yeah, what I think one the Dodgers in his uh his addict. Yeah, yeah, but this is like, these teams need to figure it out. I think the Padres have figured out. I think the Blue Jays need to figure it out, right, I think the Padres have figured it out, and it's that they're bad. Yeah, I don't think. I don't think the Padres are making the playoffs. I think the Blue jay is still could still probably should, but they need to get it together. So that's that's kind of where I was on that. It's not that they're they're two good teams.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yep, I picked Sacramento at Chicago the White Sox. This is some big dumb baseball. I don't know who's pitching for the Athletics and I don't care I who's pitching for the White Sox. It's just gonna be That's a that's a great concept.
Speaker 1: Patrick bid baseball, Like, that's a good point to see one of the greatest players in baseball, Miguel Vargas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, speaking of people who are not Yeah, Okay.
Speaker 1: Settle down, settle down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I don't you know, it's this if you want steaks or something like. The Athletics are just clearly done now they've gone one to nine in their last ten. They can go ahead and write they don't have to bother themselves of this.
Speaker 2: And the White Sox are scuffling themselves and could use a good seria you use to pick me up, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: This would be a good pick me up for the White Sox.
Speaker 2: Jeffrey, I went with the Astros against the Rangers because, like it's actually meaningful in the playoff sense, which.
Speaker 1: Is well also being a mid off. Yeah. I do feel like.
Speaker 2: We're only a few years removed now from and with like all the same players there mostly from this matchup having like some rivalry juice. They like, they feel like these teams like legitimately didn't like each other. Obviously they had that you know, playoff series that got kind of contentious. So maybe maybe we can get maybe we can get a little something out of it. I'm not holding out a ton of hope, but the series will just end with like one team two games under in one game, one one team one game under.
Speaker 3: So ye, yeah, I picked the Siccos this time because I felt like it, and I picked two playoff teams playing each other.
Speaker 1: It's still Sickos.
Speaker 3: It's a rare combination of the Cleveland Guardians and the Miami Marylands.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I do think the Miami Marylands are legitimately fairly fun to watch. I do not feel that way about the Cleveland Guardians.
Speaker 1: This is just like, this is just like.
Speaker 2: Fancy is not the right word. This is just like Asian fusion raised versus Guardians. Yes, I don't know what.
Speaker 1: I would describe this. It's like reading Thomas Hardy in high school. Yeah, this is important New American.
Speaker 2: It's like a new American restaurant. But like but but yeah, it's like we're doing new American. Yeah, we gotta fancy, we gotta fans, we gotta fancy, we gotta fancy burger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're our own we do our own pickle relish. Yeah, every everyone wears aprons.
Speaker 2: Steak freez. You want steak freaks, We have several. But you do a hanger, you do a bavet. We've got options, we got options. Yeah, would you like would would you like a garl like aoli or ketchup of course, no, we don't do Hines. Heines the way better than Hines. No, but we don't see going around.
Speaker 1: Just do Hines. It's absolutely correct. If you want ketchup, what you want is which I don't know, which is fine. But then you don't want Housemaide ketchup either, So you just either you want Hines or you don't want Ketchup. It's just every every one of these places. Just buy Hines.
Speaker 2: It's fine, you can get it from Cisco.
Speaker 1: I'm sure. Uh, it takes us to our game. Takes us to our game. And so this is another game submitted by intrepid listener a J.
Speaker 3: It's called name that Team. We will see how you do. I appreciate, thank you, a J. I really really appreciate.
Speaker 1: The game because Deck I did not want to make a game last night. All right, we're we're gonna have to make a Jeff Decker base game perfect Steve Decker.
Speaker 3: So what I'm gonna do is I'm going to read off a list of player names and you guys are going to try and guess what team they played for. And by team, I mean both of the year and the team. So this is this is uh yeah, once you guess. You can come in again once.
Speaker 1: The other person's guest. If the other person refuses to guess, then I guess it's a tie. I'm sorry. So you're just you're naming a player.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna na I'm gonna name a series of players, and then you are going to try and figure.
Speaker 1: Out one player. We just have to pick what year the team was.
Speaker 3: I'm in the list of players in order, and then you are going to guess. So, all right, Team one, Wilson Valdez.
Speaker 2: Oh great, good, remembring some guys off the bat.
Speaker 1: Drew Stubbs okay, Miguel Cairo Okay, Mike Leak ok.
Speaker 2: Nine, Reds Okay, Craig.
Speaker 1: I'm going to tell you. I'm gonna tell you it is the Reds.
Speaker 2: Once one of you guess is the one of the very obviously I knew it was.
Speaker 1: I knew it was the.
Speaker 3: Reds, right, Sam Lequeur. Actually, all right, I'm gonna say that if I named three more players, Otherwise you could just sit here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, once I name three more players or two more players, trying to think I was willing to guess after Jeff another but just just I'm revising the rules on the fly once I named two players, then the then the other person's back in. Uh, all right, let's say three, so I'll give you Jose Orondo Jose. Okay, so like now you get guest now or twenty after the next one. Twenty eighteen. Okay, we're back in business. Chris Heisey twenty six again. Greg, I thought I could guess I'm back in. Now he's back in, but I'm not. Okay, fine, apologies. Coz Art.
Speaker 2: Twenty God, how long did Miguel Cairo play? It's what's tripputing year?
Speaker 1: He played one year with the Reds. I'm sure I'm not looking at it. He played thirty years now year with the Reds. I think twenty fourteen Reds. All right, Ryan Ludwick twenty sixteen Reds. There's Joey was playing in twenty sixth.
Speaker 2: That doesn't help.
Speaker 1: It doesn't help.
Speaker 2: Twenty twelve Reds.
Speaker 1: Twenty twelve reads is jack like because Cairo.
Speaker 2: Was with the I couldn't member if Cairo was with the Reds after the mats are before the match.
Speaker 1: That's what was Listen, I don't think I could remember twenty twelve, And yeah, Jose Rodondo's stopped I was like, oh my god, I remember Jose Rodondo. I thought it had to be more recent because my memory stinks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, trap, all right, next one, Joe Smith, not.
Speaker 1: Mike Morin helpful for a difference, is it? Marin?
Speaker 2: Marin Mariann. I'm pretty Oh, I'm o r I n oh, Mike Maright, Okay.
Speaker 1: Okay, Colin Cowgill, this is not helpful. David Freeze, Josh.
Speaker 2: Hamilton twenty eleven. Angels met Shoemaker.
Speaker 1: It is the Angels.
Speaker 2: It is the Angels.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, it is the Yeah, okay Shoemaker. Cole Calhoun twenty thirteen. All right, jet back to you. How he can rick? Okay, again, not helping. It's the same as Chared Weaver twenty twenty fourteen. Angels. Good job. That's the point, Jesus. I'm just guessing, like I have no do you have? Like?
Speaker 2: I mean, like I like, I'm narrowing it down to a range. Yeah, I'm an arrow window.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I will say that.
Speaker 3: I can't believe either of you are getting as close as you are. I would I would do terribly at this game. All right, number three, we're gonna.
Speaker 1: Do five of these. I think it's fine. So Craig, you need to get it's a good luck. It's fine. Jose Lynde, Tim Wakefield, Randy Tomlin, Christ Lloyd McLennon. This is the only one I actually would get. Yeah, Lloyd McLennon, Danny Nagel.
Speaker 2: That's before the Okay, ninety six pirates.
Speaker 1: It is the Pirates. Jay Bell. This, I have truly no idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Wakefield is there longer than I think, probably too.
Speaker 1: Uh, don slot. I love the slot. Ninety three. Right, you're back in Wakefield, and sorry, I have to give me bubble. I don't think it makes sense that I'm eliminated. Now we've each had one guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's fine, guess nine pirates if you want. Craig's No, it's this one.
Speaker 1: I truly don't know. It's it's points. Andy Evan's like, well, he that doesn't help. And now you can go back to guessing. Craig, take a shot. You can you guys can be each take a shot. Ninety two. Ninety two is correct one way for Craig.
Speaker 2: I was going to guess ninety three.
Speaker 1: So it's fine, Okay, I guessed ninety three. Did you whatever? All right? Number four Greig's still alive? Uh, Don Kelly, Nope?
Speaker 2: Why are we doing that?
Speaker 1: Rosie Davis?
Speaker 2: Why are we doing so many pirates?
Speaker 1: Interesting? I went to a different team they did. They might have played the two teams together.
Speaker 3: Al Albuquerque, Yeah, exactly, Okay, I know the team, Joe Nathan two thousand and eight Tigers.
Speaker 1: It is the Tigers. Tory Hunter.
Speaker 2: Hunter sign man, I'll milk another one here. Drew Smiley not helping two thousand and nine Tigers.
Speaker 1: All right, Craig, you're back in Ian Kinsler. When was the field, Nick Castellanas, I don't remember it was Albuquerque there that long.
Speaker 2: I guess that.
Speaker 1: Twelve two thousand, justin Vernon, Yeah, thanks, thanks, thanks, aj.
Speaker 2: Hold On, Miguel Caprera twenty fourteen Tigers.
Speaker 1: Twenty fourteen Tigers is correct, Nice, Jeff.
Speaker 2: I was just trying to like pinned down when Mike frances I didn't know who al Albuquerque was. He was there a long time, he was, he was there.
Speaker 1: One last one for glory. Yeah. Chris Medland okay, Jared Dyson, yep, okay, Ryan Madson, Yeah yeah, two thousand, go ahead, two thousand seventeen Royals. It is the Royals, yeah, Paolo Orlando.
Speaker 2: Orlando, great name, Kendriy Smerales. He played for the he did play for the What the fuck did he play for?
Speaker 1: The Royals? Edits and volcaz It don't only helped twenty thirteen Royals. Yeah, I was too far forward. Yeah, all right, Craig you're back in. Yeah. Uh. Wade Davis, No, that's not helpful. No it's not. Alex Gordon also extremely not. The order of this is very funny, adventurer.
Speaker 2: They say, can I get a lout Hochiver? Am I back in now?
Speaker 1: Twenty sixteen? Okay? That the first time? No, you didn't seventeen the first time? Uh, you were done a venturer, Lorenzo Kine.
Speaker 2: This is just the twenty fifteen Royals.
Speaker 1: It is the twenty fifteen Royals, Jeff.
Speaker 2: They were all the same teams.
Speaker 1: Were My thing is I did not I did not remember Chris. I thought Chris Madlin was there after their Yeah, I thought he was too. That's what completely threw me up. That's why I was going after the twenty fourteen fifteen team. So Morales was only there for two seasons twenty fifteen. Okay, I don't remember when you have to find right, you have you have to like with this game. Yeah, you really need to find it to hold.
Speaker 3: Like I knew the Pirates one because I knew Tim Wakefield only pitched for them for two years.
Speaker 2: He was I think Medlin I was just was there in ninety four.
Speaker 1: He was there in ninety two and ninety three. He was back in the minors in ninety four.
Speaker 2: It was for some reason, for some reason in my head, his like the first breakout season is ninety four.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it stopped quickly. I told was Medlin yea, I just was wrong. Yeah, and then I didn't know Morales I And yeah, Madsen probably was the other one you could do. I guess he moved around much so much like I think, but if you knew, I don't think he was there that that long, right, So like you could potentially do that.
Speaker 2: I thought Madsen was like pre World serious. I thought it was like thirteen fourteens like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, good game, good game. I liked it. I'm bad at it, but I liked it. That'll do it for this episode. Thank you to everyone for joining us on five and dive, brought to you by the Baseball Perspectives podcast network. You can get in touch with the show at five and I have at Baseball Perspectives. We are wherever you get your podcast. Search for the Baseball Perspectives podcast network and we'll be in that feed. If you enjoy what we're doing, drop us a rating or review. It's been a couple of months since a review. We'd appreciate any five star rating or review that you have to offer. Thank you again, and if you've been waiting for the pot to be over, your time is now. All the men from the Fall stra