Speaker 1: All right, it's the beIN In Skin Show ninety seven point one The Eagle. Now is a good time to remind you about Sunset at McKinney Amphitheater because they have been hosting the MAVs Minute all year long. You can own a piece of dallas most luxurious Amphitheater. Go to Sunset Texas dot com for information on how to own a fire pit suite or join the Apeman Club opening in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: Secure your suite now.
Speaker 1: So we've been talking about this impromptu press conference that was kind of I guess it's fair to say hastily called last night. Media outlets were notified that in less than twenty four hours they could come to a press conference. It was held at the American Airline Center. It was limited media availability. They targeted people, they invited them. Nobody on this show was invited or from the station was invited. It was the major news outlets, Dallas Wearing News, ESPN, the local affiliates DLS.
Speaker 2: Tim Cato was.
Speaker 1: There, Athletic, the Athletic and so it was limited access and it was Rick Way else and who's the CEO? And it was Nico Harrison, the GM of the team who made the very unpopular Luke Donchez trade, and by his accounts, you know, hardly anybody knew about that trade when he made it, so all of it seems to fall on him in terms of the blame, and they answer questions. Tim McMahon's got a great account of it. We've been looking at Mike Curtis from Dallas Morning News. We've been looking at his some of the quotes from his account of it, and I think the thing that really stands out and looking at these quotes is that Nico is doubling down on what his vision of the team is and what the style of basketball he wanted to play. Everyone who was in that meeting came out soing, well, defense wins championships because he said it over and over and over, and you know, been according to the account I'm looking at is the Mike Curtis story on this. You know, he basically, I'm you know, kind of saying what he said, and so I'm not reading a long quote, but he believes that if we had seen the healthy version of the team, that team would have been really, really good, and a lot of the fan bases vitriol would have been dampened down because it's hard to get angry when your team is kicking ass.
Speaker 2: It would have helped.
Speaker 3: That half that he played before he got hurt with Kyrie was awesome.
Speaker 2: It would have helped.
Speaker 3: But still the biggest problem to me is you traded a twenty five year old global icon and you got six years older or seven years old whatever, right with ad a guy who's been hurt like his whole career.
Speaker 2: So you know there's problems with it all over the place.
Speaker 3: I do know this if by having this press conference, if you even call it that, to me, that's an indication that Nico Harrison is staying that they're not going to part ways with him, because you wouldn't roll him out there today and then part ways with him in a couple days of your season ends.
Speaker 1: Well, let me say this as you just add on to what you're saying. He was asked if he sees himself as the GM moving forward. He said, you have three years left on my contract. I see myself finishing it out. In terms of Dallas, this is our home, my family, they're going to finish school here, this is where we live.
Speaker 2: So this is where I'm living, right and I heard.
Speaker 3: I was listening to the ticket Im Oway here and they were talking about whether they somebody on the ticket was saying they thought he would resign. I'm like, what what world are you living in where you think he's going to resign.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's doubling down. He uh.
Speaker 1: And We've talked about this on our show many times. I've told you guys, he loves Anthony Davis. And I actually thought that he would try to trade Kyrie Irving for Anthony Davis. That's kind of how I thought that thing was going to go. But obviously he had other ideas in mind. But he doubled down on that in this several times, saying, you know, there he was asked about, well, what about everybody saying you didn't get enough return on the trade, And what he's saying is Anthony Davis is he says, when you look at the trade, we targeted ad with our philosophy of defense wins championships. We wanted a two way player to lead our team, and that was Anthony Davis. Everyone's going to have their criticism. I'm not sure what Mark Cuban said, but that's a better question left for him. We got what we wanted and so again, like when we've had all these conversations, be like, I don't understand this. It doesn't make sense. I'm like, I get that. It doesn't make sense to you. It makes sense to him. That's who we wanted, that's the style of basketball he envisions them playing.
Speaker 3: That's the team that he builds, and just so happened at this moment in time with the new ownership group. There were no checks and balances, right, there was no one else to talk to. So this is what one guy wanted and there was nobody to stop him because any anybody else who could have vetoed the deal was gone, was out of the picture.
Speaker 4: Ja Kid had a good relationship with AD two, you know. So I'm very curious. I mean, that's my like, if you could find out anything like how behind closed doors or how much did Jay Kid know about it or want this deal to happen or did he not?
Speaker 2: You know, that's what I really want to know.
Speaker 3: My thought is there's no way he I mean, I don't know double negative. I think he knew. I think he probably had to say. And I think if you're a political person and you're in a political environment, you just kind of get in line once you see the way things are going to go.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I could be dead wrong on that, but my thought is a tiny, a tiny group had a vote and it was Nico leading the way. And I'll bet Jay Kid was one of those guys who could vote.
Speaker 2: But I don't know that. I'm just throwing that out there. Well, and I will.
Speaker 1: We'll wrap this up pretty quick and get back into it later in the show. If ja Kid was in on it, it doesn't be hoof because of the volatile nature. It doesn't behove everybody to let Jakid know that because he's got to go back in that locker room and those guys have to trust him.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So if if Jake Kidd was like, yeah, man, I want to get rid of you know, Luca, you know, they were probably like, okay, well we'll just you know, nobody knows about this, so let's leave it that way so you can still have the trust and control of the locker room.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, who knows? Who knows?
Speaker 3: But I think more will come out. I mean, the Mavericks may have been getting ahead of something by doing this. I don't even know what to make of all this. Anyways, we'll get back into it later, because Kyrie spoke last night and we have the audio and it's juicy, juicy ju say, all right, coming up next a cat fight in space. That's right now. We're gonna ratch it up.
Speaker 2: The fun