Speaker 1: Billy cunning in the Great American two weeks and today. It all happens November the fifth, But until then, getting ready, of course for the Bengals on Sunday, the Birds. The Birds are in town. The Eagles, believe it or not, the Bengals only a two and a half point favorite. Watching the Ravens last night, they look impregnable. They look like to imagine no line, unbelievable. But nonetheless, there's always hope when we have Joe Burrow, there's always hope. Joining you and I now is Liz Bonus, the health and medical reporter from Local twelve, and Liz Bonus, welcome again to the Bill Cunningham shown.
Speaker 2: Liz, how are you?
Speaker 3: Hey? I am great. Did you know that there's a name for what happens when your team loses, like in the day after you feel miserable?
Speaker 2: I'd like to know that what is it?
Speaker 3: It's called the letdown effect? And when you wouldn't surprise me at all. Huh So what happens is like, you know, we all have this high hope going in and then we're all like if we don't win, and it actually is linked to a less productive Monday. Yes, and for some reason. They say, sometimes you can manage it on your own. But the cure part is actually gonna be with other miserable people like you. You better to go to work and complain.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm with Scott Sloan a lot because he's miserable all the time.
Speaker 2: So I get that.
Speaker 1: But I can imagine the day after the election if Trump wins, I can imagine Democrats and many others angry as city, pissed off, whatever it might be. And on the other hand, of Kamala Harris's wins, I can imagine Tony Bender and others gonna commit Harry Carey and suicide and drive into a bridge abutment. So we're gonna need your health the day or two after the election. We need your Will you be available the day or two after the election to hold my hand if things don't go right?
Speaker 3: I will. Actually I'm doing some stories on that, like, because I'm really concerned about us being able to talk to each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, if someone in your life doesn't love who you love for elections, this could be a really long month after.
Speaker 2: Oh it's going to be awful. Talk about something I want.
Speaker 1: I monitor you every day that I can, and you have something called the death Clock app. Doctor Dodgers and also Love Sleeping. Tell the American people about the death clock app?
Speaker 2: What is that?
Speaker 3: Okay? All right? So I interviewed a gentleman who just about three months ago, after twenty years of living with a mental health illness which he said he did not actually have, he decided he wanted to make some changes in his life. And he began to look up like what do I have to do to live longer? In that kind of thing? And he realized that we have some control, not all of it, over how long we live. And he has developed something you can find on like you know, the Google App Store and whatnot. And if you go on it and you look under death Clock app, you can call it up and you answer twenty five questions about your health, your age, your history, a little bit about you know, what you do to stay well or not, and it will give you the predicted date you will die.
Speaker 1: It's a special like April the eighth, twenty ninety four, so an actual date in the time you're.
Speaker 2: Going to die.
Speaker 3: Well, it says you'll live to be like one hundred and six. Okay, oh, you can predict your death date. This I had one of my colleagues go on it because truthfully, I didn't know if I wanted to, because you know, if you eat, write, exercise, and then you feel like you're going to die anyway, it can be really discouraging. Get another influence. I mean, I mean my habits now, because I'm like, what would I do with that information? I can't run any more mild, I can't eat any more vegetables. I can't, you know. So I was a little worried. But he went on and found out he's going to live to be one hundred and six, So really, well, there's hope. Gun. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I keep telling it.
Speaker 1: It's about your weight, your metabolism, your blood pressure, all that stuff, your genetics, and it gives you an approximate date you're going to die. Would you want to know when you're going to die? If somebody tapped in your shoulder list? Bonus, you're in great shape, you look wonderful, and you want to you want to know you're going to die in twenty fifty seven?
Speaker 2: Do you want to know that?
Speaker 3: I don't know. That's why I haven't done it yet. I told you, like, I kind of worry that it will be a self fulfilling prophecy. If it says I'm going to be dead next week, you know, yeah, I'm like, I don't know, so I'm still thinking about it. But I've had brave enough people that were brave enough go on and do it, and it's fascinating. And then I started reaching out to people for our story about longevity and it's very interesting. There are things now everything from hormones to lifestyle to even prevention medications. You know, for example, a woman now can take demoxafin at high risk for breast cancer. We've never had a breast cancer prevention pill that can add a lot of years to your life. So it really sort of sparks you to reach out and ask questions. And I do love that idea of it because we feel helpless, but we may not be. And so that's where we're going with that story. I'll let you know when I get the drop dead date.
Speaker 1: Though death clock app Tony Benders right now on his phone trying to find out how long his hands to live.
Speaker 2: If you're going to die within the next year, let it rip.
Speaker 1: Secondly, you did a segment I think it was last night, about sleeping that somehow I have difficulty sleeping.
Speaker 2: I think many Americans do.
Speaker 1: I have thoughts running around my head like a be being an empty railroad box car. I think about what's coming up. I worry about this. I worry about that. It takes me two to three hours go to sleep every night. I don't even try at about one o'clock in the morning, and then I try by three o'clock. Hopefully I'm as sleep. I'm up at eight o'clock in away I go. So I think most Americans have trouble sleeping. There's all these medications out there. There's all the CBD out there. There's all the other pills and medicines or any of them, legit, relaxium, et cetera. Should you do it, should you not do it? Should you try pots, Should you try hot milk? Should you have some chocolate, not have chocolate? Should you exercise or not exercise? Should you make love or not make love? It's like an aphrodisiac. What do you think? Give me the answer to Liz Bonus? What do you say?
Speaker 3: You know? I think if I had all those answers, I would not be here on Willie's Show. I would be a millionaire somewhere, you know, like off with the eyelids. Those are really good questions. And the thing that's so interesting about that is that for some people, having sex before you go to bed helps them fall asleep. For some people it keeps you awake. For some people, exercise late in the day keeps you awaken. For other people that knocks you out. That's the problem. It's so individualized that I don't know that there's one formula that fits all, which is you know why I always have a job, because it will always change and there's always something new. But I will tell you this, it's the eighth. The American Heart Association has eight habits of good health, you know, eating, riot, exercise, watching your cholesterol, And just within the past year or so, they added eight hours of sleep because they started to see that if you did everything else but you did not sleep, told that it took on your health was really significant. It influenced blood pressure, it influenced weight, it influenced stress level, and all of those things, of course play a role in your heart disease risks. And now we're the reason I was doing a story is now we're also finding those habits may play a role in your cancer risks, as well, so you're like, whoa, You know, I should at least get all those, and most of us get most of them except the sleep thing. And I don't know. I think it's because we're praised to not sleep. Ask somebody asked that question to Donald Trump a while back, and he said he sleeps like four to six hours a night, doesn't need anymore. And so you're like, oh, you could be superhuman. You can be president. But you know, we should be praised for resting, we should be praised for relaxing, We should be praised for snoozing, and we aren't. We're just not that kind of a society. You know in places like Japan and that they have nap rooms and map tents in your office, you can climb into them and take what do they call like that crash nap. Yeah, I think that's a great idea. And I can't do the twenty minute thing because I'm like you, I lay in bed saut the national bet and I don't know which comes first, like me trying to solve it or the national debt. It's a cycle and I can knock get out of it.
Speaker 2: How good is a nap? How good is a nap?
Speaker 1: Like at three four o'clock in the afternoon, because many European cultures it's almost required they shut their businesses down for two hours so the owner and the employees can take a nap or chill out. Is that as good as sleeping, Say you sleep five or six hours and then you rest, or you go to nap about an hour in the afternoon. Is that the same as sleeping seven or eight hours.
Speaker 3: The sleep experts that I have talked to have said power naps are really good, like twenty or thirty minutes, but two hour naps are not because they're disruptive to that cycle. And the minimum number of hours is about five before you see like stroke wristks go up. Even getting six or seven is better, and eight is perfect. The problem with the short sleep in the nap is that there's a cycle of sleep and if you don't ever get into that deep sleep, then you don't experience you know, they say, like I don't dream and all that. Don't get into that really deep sleep, you don't get some of the healing benefits from it. So I don't know that it's about like five or six hours in the nap. I think it's how long does it take you to get into that real snooze thing where you're kind of out of it and dead to the world. And that's kind of different for everyone, but usually at least seven hours a night it takes to get that. So I don't know if you can make up with that with napping. I know, if I nap a little bit, I almost wake up feeling worse, like hw you know, So I'm kind of like, you go till you drop. Not that I'm saying that's a good thing, but I was doing the story because it is a significant health habit that most of us simply don't do. And you know, you talk to anyone busy, it's not always on purpose. It's just that's our lifestyle now and it's what we've created, which if we had that other culture of snoozing more, we probably would find it more socially acceptable to say I'm going to lay down the middle of the day. Otherwise, if you find someone sleeping at their desk, you're like, ooh, tell the boss.
Speaker 1: You know, Can I tell you a constant dream that I have and you can interpret my dream? It's a it happened. It happened this morning about two o'clock, two thirty. I'm looking at bright Bart, I'm over at dread state dot com. And I finally go to bed, and I go to sleep, and I had this terrible dream, which is a recurring nightmare.
Speaker 2: Are you ready sure?
Speaker 1: I have this terrible sense that I'm about to die and then I'm falling, but I never hit the ground at someone breaking into the door. I got my AR fifteen, I got my twelve gates was shot in it. I got this and that. But I can never Actually, I'll always fear what's going to happen, but it never occurs. And I think, and if I finally had this recurring dream that I'm about to be killed or murdered and that I'm falling and I hit the ground, that's all I'm going to die. But I always wake up many times in fear, like I'm looking around the room, where is that guy who's got the knife who's just plunging into my heart? I have this constant dream that I'm falling, but I never hit the ground. Can you interpret that for me?
Speaker 3: Wow, that's a very interesting dream. Now, I'm not a dream expert, but I will tell you that, having asked a few questions for health stories, I would tell you that. They say that dreams are things that you are like fleeting thoughts in the day and you don't have time to process them, and they process in your dreams. So I would tell you two things. One is you're not feeling real safe these days, and two you're probably overwhelmed in some aspect of life because it's recurring, yes, and it keeps. It's like the pile on. So you're going to have to like start, you know, barring the door or some are getting a big dog or something.
Speaker 2: Well, I've done that. I've done that. I have a security system.
Speaker 1: I have my windows are all plug correctly, the doors of double locks. The bedroom door's got a padlock on it. I have weapons which I keep inside of a box so they don't want to get up half a sleeve, pull up my weapons and start shooting people. So I have to go through a system, put my thumb down then and then I had to put a numeric code in to get my weapons. But I never have the time to get to the weapons because the guys on top of me plunging a dagger into my heart and I think it's some iHeart media executive doing it. And so I have this. I have the recurring dream. I can't get to my three point fifty seven. I can't get to the governor, which is like a handheld shotgun. I can't get to my three eighty six hour p. Two thirty eight. I can't quite get there, and the guy kills me before I get there. But I'm not dead, and so I have time to get up to fight him. But I can't fight him. I can't get to my box. I can't get to the fingerprint, I can't get to then americal code, and the guy stands me again, and I'm not lying there in blood and I can't find my weapons.
Speaker 2: What am I gonna do? Liz?
Speaker 1: What am I gonna do? I have a recurring dream. It's like an iHeart media executive stabbing me in the back.
Speaker 2: What do you think? How need help?
Speaker 3: One of two things? Man. I just keep my three fifty seven loaded by the bed, and I.
Speaker 2: Thought I got out, I thought, but what happens?
Speaker 1: But someone like a penny or or the kids or something. I don't want to do that because I'm half awake half asleep.
Speaker 2: I need help, and I need it now.
Speaker 3: Well, some would say there's a different kind of help you need if that's really the case, just so you know, and we might need to like exploit that in therapy somewhere. And there's a wonderful sentence that I've learned. You know, I'm a nutritionist and a health reporter, but that's beyond my scope of practice.
Speaker 1: Maybe I should go to stant next and see the counseling department.
Speaker 3: A great counselor absolutelye No.
Speaker 1: Now, lastly, you have something that Tony Benner's interested in. The doctor dodgers Tony Hayes go to the doctor. He doesn't want to go. I go to doctors all the time. I got my heart, I got my I got my practological exam, I got my Euro Eurological. I got my eye exam coming up. I got cholesterol test. I'm in this group mdv IP, I doal. But Tony refuses to go to a doctor for anything. His heart's not working. Hes in a bib movement in about three weeks. And the guy's in trouble talk about men, especially that Dodge doctors, and I need some help.
Speaker 2: I need help. Go ahead, Ah.
Speaker 3: Well, poor Tony, he you know we can we can work on this. I know lots of good people, but actually a survey was just released. My agency put this out, and they actually found that at least one in four of us have not been to a doctor in years, and they have named them doctor dodgers. And so of course your logical thing is, well, why, And there's a number of reasons, but the number one and two are my doctor either retired or I moved, so you don't even know like who's taking new patients. And then the others and I actually really love this one because I believe it's true. Pretty much said they had a bad experience, or they felt judged when they went to the doctors, or they didn't like the idea that they were going to be criticized or told they weren't good enough. When I have to tell you in truth, if you know most medical providers, they're very non judgmental. They're like, hey, we can tell you some things you can do, but we're just grateful that you show up because you can't. You know, you can't even build a relationship with your primary care doctor if you never show up. And so I found that survey really really interesting that we have all you know, we have much better access than we've had, although we always need more. And then people that could go don't want to go, right. What do you think you have? You been judged by your doctor?
Speaker 2: Not at all.
Speaker 1: He says, Look, you're handsome. My wife says, I look like Rinaldo. That's soccer star, you know, from Portugal or somewhere. My wife thinks I look like Ronaldo. I think I look like MESSI. That's a different thing. But I go to a doctor and they want to take my shirt and my pants down and kind of take pictures like Arnold Palmer, and so I don't have any problem with that.
Speaker 3: I'm really glad to know that, really, because you've had some people do some extraordinary things to save your life, and we're grateful for that. But I will say, if if that's how you feel, you can go to a different doctor. Always ask that question. But more importantly, you need to find somebody because a lot of them now know that's how a lot of us feel, and they won't make you feel like judgment. The reasons that you came here, yeah, are you know are so important that it overrides you coming and getting this care. I will say that because I know a really good number of physicians that I would send anyone to, and there is no judgment.
Speaker 2: Liz Bonus, you're the best. Once again.
Speaker 1: When I got off there after three, I'm going to go to the death Clock app and find out how much more time I have.
Speaker 2: Then I'll just let it rip at some point.
Speaker 1: But Liz Bonus, Health Reporter Local twelve, once again, thank you for coming on the Bill Cunningham Show. And may God bless you and God bless America. Liz, thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Back at you. Hope you live forever.
Speaker 1: I shall thank you, God bless America. If I get counseling a sand X, I'll be even better. Bill Cunningham, News Radio seven hundreds WLW