Speaker 1: This is Dan Kaplis, and welcome to today's online podcast edition of The Dan Kaplis Show. Please be sure to give us a five star rating if you'd be so kind, and to subscribe, download and listen to the show every single day on your favorite podcast platform. Maryor Mike Kaufman joins us at five thirty six. This is now an enormous national story, and it's a focus point of the presidential race because the video, and I'm sure you've seen it now of these criminals, you know, with these weapons taking over this Aurora apartment complex and busting into this apartment, et cetera. This just makes very real for people the horror caused in America by Kamala Harris's failure.
Speaker 2: At the border.
Speaker 1: So it is a focal point now of the presidential race, which is why presumably you have poll us out there lying about it, saying essentially it's Danielle Jurinsky's imagination and you know, the flax media flax for the left out there trying to downplay it. It is a extraordinarily serious and it's capturing the attention of America for obvious, very good reasons. So Mark Kaufman with us at five point thirty six to talk about that, and please to remember it was a month ago on this show that I was talking to Mark Kaufman about the problems they were having in Aurora because of large numbers of folks coming in through the southern border from Venezuela. And then he he's stung me by making the comment that their entire blocks in Aurora that have been taken over and that the city's trying to reclaim street by street and block by block.
Speaker 3: In a the what you know is we have areas in our city, unfortunately, that have been overtaken and that we have to take back three by street, block by block.
Speaker 1: Imagine that in America. And again that's why it's becoming a big deal in the presidential race. Here's President Trump commenting on it today.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 4: Did you see that, Well, Venezuelan gang members have taken over parts of the city, They've taken over apartment houses. Because these stupid people that we have leading our country are allowing these people, these criminals to come to come into our country, and we're going to get them the hell out of here.
Speaker 5: And this is just the beginning.
Speaker 3: Why do you see what happens?
Speaker 1: Why do you see what they're doing. Yeah, that the video and the taking over these apartment complexes the mayor will talk about, and then these poor people who are terrorized in there being Venezuelan immigrants here, and then the immigrants have to pay these criminals the money. It's it's just, it's so opposite of what America is in America is supposed to be. And you have many Americans across party lines who do not want to lose their country. They have plenty of Americans Democrats on affiliated's Republicans who are saying, no, people fought and died, my parents, my grandparents, they built this country, and we are not just going to turn this country over to people who decide to come in illegally.
Speaker 2: And you know, so it's a.
Speaker 1: Very powerful sentiment in America cross party lines. It is not anti immigrant, not at all. That's never been who we are. No good American could be anti immigrant. It's anti illegal immigrants. It's above all anti illegal immigrants who come here and then commit other crimes. And no matter what percentage it is, and I hapen to think it's relatively small percentage, it one is too many, and it happens to be large enough numbers to kill many in America and wreak havoc, and we just can't have it. That's why in a CBS poll in early summer, you had about two thirds who supported mass deportations. So at this video now surfacing in our Aurora, you can be sure that the Trump's going to stay focused on this.
Speaker 6: So MARYK.
Speaker 1: Kaufman with us at five point thirty six to talk about it, and as we touched briefly, I want to get back to texting calls. As we touched briefly on the the extraordinary disappointment last night. I mean, it's not surprised, right, it predicted it would come down the way it did. But Dana Bash is a talented journalist, and she made a conscious decision last night to forfeit her credentials as a journalist and act instead as a flack for the Harris campaign. And so she did what I predicted, and she asked some tough questions that were really meaningless because she never followed up when Harris lied or evaded. And so it really last night it deprived America. It deprived America of a full opportunity to see who Kamala Harris really is. And that was Dana Bash's mission was to deprive America of that opportunity because Dana Bash, almost the entire media wants Trump to lose, and if people can who Kamala Harris really is, then Trump is certain to win. And so last night was a real disservice to the American people. What was so interesting to me, and I won't play the sound again right now because we have other stuff to cover, is the way she did go after Walls, and then Walls, as you know, came out and he lied, he lied. She teed it up for him, just how all he had to do was admitt he misspoke. He wouldn't do that, He claimed it was bad grammar. Well, guess what the people, working people everywhere, working people in the Upper Midwest, I know in particular growing up in Chicago, Ryan and Michigan, value the truth. It's a core value. It's what people build their lives around. And when a guy like Walls, who pretends to be mister workingman and mister Midwest comes out and he lies to you like that and says, oh no, saying he carried a weapon of war in a war zone, that's when he was at war. That's poor grammar that just insults people's intelligence. And I'll tell you what, and you know this to be true. I'm sure that on average, if you take a big old group of working people and you take a big old group of rich people, the big old group of working people is going to be as smart or smarter, and then you're going to have a bunch of other explanations for why people are in different circumstances in life. And so when you then say to working people, oh no, that was just bad grammar, first of all, you're violating their core value of honesty. Second, you're insulting their intelligence. So what was interesting to me last night when Bash did go after Walls and stayed on him to a point, not enough, but to a point pointing out other lives of his, is that she's trying to run him out of the race. The Left has not given up on running Walls out of the race, and that concerns me because we need Walls as part of the ticket. We don't need Harris replacing Walls with Shapiro. Anyway, let me get back to some of these great text Texter Dan got disagree. Have you heard the ad produced by rfk's running mate it's hilarious, Mike and Henderson. I have seen and heard that ad. It is brilliant. If we don't err it today, well, Eric Monday, we are so busy today. But let me play that Trump ad again in case you weren't here when we played it earlier. It is by far the best ad produced yet by the Trump campaign, and they produced some good ones. And this spins off of Harris in the BackRub last night claiming that, oh no, my values have not changed.
Speaker 2: You know that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all these other positions she claims have changed, and they really haven't. But she her cover story for that is all my values have not changed. And the Trump campaign brilliantly took advantage to that of that to say, yeah, so she's going to do all those awful things that she told you before she was going to do.
Speaker 5: My values have not changed. Here's red meat, specifically, Yes of Boston Marathon bomber they to vote.
Speaker 2: I think we should have that conversation.
Speaker 5: Abolish ice, Yes, would you ban off shore drilling?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 7: I'm in favorite banning frack. I am prepared to pass agreeing to deal, and I support a mandatory buyback program. We're not going to treat people who are undocumented borders, criminals. The idea that more police equals more safety, that's just wrong.
Speaker 1: Policing as we know, goes all the way back to slave patrols and that idea.
Speaker 5: Yes, you are absolutely right.
Speaker 1: Where do you stand on defund the police?
Speaker 7: We need to take a look at these budgets?
Speaker 1: Do you ban plastic straws? And I wish a seventy to eighty percent tax rate.
Speaker 7: I think that's fantastic.
Speaker 5: Chipping now to the Minnesota Freedom Fund. How dare we speak Merry Christmas?
Speaker 1: I am rad.
Speaker 3: I do believe that we need to get radical about what we are doing over a.
Speaker 1: Wow, So that's a sixty. That's going to be real expensive. But hopefully they can raise the money and they can run that on a loop in Swing States Ate five five four zero five eight two five five text d A N five seven seven thirty nine, Mayor Mike Kaufman at five point thirty six. And one of the questions we'll ask them are is, Hey, why aren't these apartment complexes that have been taken over by Venezuelan gangs been flooded with police? And don't blame that? Great men and women in blue and Aura for this. But why haven't they been flooded with police from day one? This cannot be allowed to exist. So good of the mayor to come in and he'll be here at five thirty six. Dan, please ask my Kaufman if being a sanctuary state has anything to do with the situation. I will certainly are these illegals being turned over to ICE? I will certainly ask the mayor that, Dan, what will happen when Trump wins? It was a mostly peaceful riot. That's a good question. Believe me. I am not in any way, shape or form declaring this race over. I'm just pointing out that, as I predicted, you know, Harris's peaked, and now things are starting to turn in Trump's favor, earlier than I thought they would, but starting to turn in Trump's favor to the point where Nate Silver, who does not come from the right on well it's not five thirty eighty, sold that to ABC, but his own separate Nate's Silver blog, has now moved Trump into a six point five lead. Now that doesn't mean Trump has a six zo point five lead in any particular polls, but what it means is, as Nate Silver does his analysis and part of it includes polls, and part includes other dynamics and historical trends, et cetera. He as of today says that there's about a six to seven point greater chance that Trump wins the presidency. Now, just a few days ago he had at about sixty forty in Harris's favor, So expect this to jump all over the place, whether that's Nate trying to get more attention for his blog, trying to manipulate things politically, or whether it's a straight up analysis. As of today, he has Trump more likely to win the race in the trend line right now for lots of reasons. Very good for Trump eight f five for zero five eight two five five in number. When we come back, leading into Mayor Kaufman joining us in what has become a big issue in the presidential race, which is the takeover of apartment complexes in Aurora by Venezuelan gangs. Here on the Dan Kapla Show, and.
Speaker 6: Now back to the Dan Kaplas Show podcast Your.
Speaker 8: Residence, Cindy Romero counselwoman Jorensky, who has been amazing. My first conversation with her, she said, she said, do you still live there?
Speaker 1: And I said yes, And she said, I'm going to get you out of there. Wow, I'm not going to make it my work.
Speaker 9: So you're singing her praises. In the meantime, the office of Governor Jared Paulus is saying she's making all of this up.
Speaker 1: Listen to what a spokesman said.
Speaker 9: According to police intelligence, this purported invasion, I guess of these apartment buildings is largely a feature of Danielle Jurinsky's imagination.
Speaker 2: What do you say to that.
Speaker 8: You can't fake video and poulis within the last five minutes on that property.
Speaker 9: Wow, here's what daniel min is. Here's what Danielle said about I'll listen to this.
Speaker 5: I absolutely did.
Speaker 1: Not make any of this up.
Speaker 7: I love that is how our governor has quickly rushed in to say that that's the actual problem here. But the actual problem here are his weak policies that have turned this state into a breeding ground for this gang activity.
Speaker 9: Sidney, why do you think the Governor's office has got its head stuck firmly in the sand over this issue.
Speaker 8: They don't want to admit that they're part of the problem. It's the administration who we count on to make the rules for us, to make the guidelines that we go by. I call nine to one one, No help comes for me.
Speaker 1: No help.
Speaker 8: There's no mess amounts of police that show up to make sure that we're defended.
Speaker 1: Nobody showed up to help me.
Speaker 8: I didn't have a bulletproof vest I didn't have five officers showing up with me. Whenever there was a problem, we were on our own and we were left to die.
Speaker 1: Wow, you should have no.
Speaker 8: Registration in this country.
Speaker 9: And we should point out that the scenes that you're seeing on the right hand side of the screen there, those were taken from Cindy's ring doorbell or video doorbell while she was inside her apartment.
Speaker 2: You can imagine what it was.
Speaker 1: Hey, bro, can you take us into CNN? They've got polus on it and they just threw up a headline.
Speaker 10: Is this something that you need to take more seriously?
Speaker 5: Oh, we take it very seriously.
Speaker 11: Weeks ago, I convened the City of Aurora with the state and federal government. Look, it is completely illegal in Colorado to take over and occupy a building and a lot of police departments on the front lines if they need our help. I've told the mayor I've told the police department, the state is ready to assist your police department if it's above and beyond your capabilities to do that. If the people alleging this have more evidence, please bring it forward, give it to Aurora Police Department. The State of Colorado takes these kinds of threats very seriously.
Speaker 10: Then, looking back on this statement about according to police intelligence, this purported invasion is largely a feature of a particular council woman's imagination. How are you reflecting on that?
Speaker 11: Oh, if there is a building that was taken over by gangs, the state would assist the Aurora Police Department in taking it back within moments. So all we await is a call from Aurora saying there's any building in the control of any gang and we are ready to help take it back. That call has not happened because Aurora Police does not currently believe or they haven't told us, that there's any buildings in control of gangs.
Speaker 5: Can we still on this show?
Speaker 1: He's about to see it in five.
Speaker 11: Minutes facilit illegally in all fifty states, and Colorado is a zero tolerance policy. And I hope that the city of Aurora, which is controlled by Republicans, Republican mayor Republican city council. I hope they also have a zero tolerance policy to this kind of law breaking if it's occurring within their borders.
Speaker 10: I do want to make a turn. This is a very different topic, I think one.
Speaker 1: That can bail out of it. It's just so polish.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: And the fact that this guy's governor of Colorado, because think about Colorado, whether somebody is a Democrat or Republican or whatever, you know, the ethic of Colorado. The West right is supposed to be a stand up You tell the truth, you stand by what you say. If you're wrong, you then admit it. The guy is so weasily, so weasily. I mean, he's the guy who came out and said, no, this is a fig a figment of Danielle Chirinsky's imagination. Oh wait a second. Mark Kaufman is on the record. He said it on the show, and he's going to say it on the show again in about nine minutes. That no, we have apartment complexes that have been taken over by Venezuelan gangs. Police knows it's true, but he lies about it because it's happened in his state, right, and credit to see an n credit to see an end for confronting him on it. And then of course he lies again.
Speaker 6: He's the worst. He just says, well, if there's a problem, they haven't called us, they haven't told us about it, so there must not be a problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But credit credit to CNN for calling him out on hey saying it's a figment of the imagination.
Speaker 2: If do you stand by that?
Speaker 1: And then how police weaseled around that?
Speaker 3: Right? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So Mary Kaufman joins us at five thirty six, and he will talk about what he talked about on my show back on July thirty first.
Speaker 3: But what you know is we have areas in our city, unfortunately that have been overtaken and that we have to take back three by street, block by block.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Polus knows it's real, he knows it's happening, and he goes out and he denigrates this councilwoman that way by essentially telling people she's lying. Oh, it's a figment of her imagination. And then credit to CNN for confronting him. Now they had him on, you know, to do his flag thing for Harris and everything else, but they brought it up and confronted him on it good for CNN eight y five or zero five eight two five five the number bad for CNN. What happened last night? That was a grave disservice to the American people when when they went out and they protected Harris, and they had an opportunity to show the people who she really is, what she really stands for, how she can handle tough questions, and they decided to serve as a flack for her. And again it's a disservice to the American people. Let him see who she really is and make an informed decision. But what they're admitting is she's not qualified, she's not capable of doing the job. And that's why they had to protect her by first of all, not asking the follow up questions when she evaded or lied. But second Ryan, where's the rest of the interview? The interview that aired was twenty eight minutes, They sat down for an hour. Where's the rest of the interview? Where's the transcript? So just just a grave dis service last night. Coming up next Mayor Mike Kaufman of Aurora, and what he's going to tell you is, no, it is true that apartment complexes have been taken over by Venezuelan gangs, even though Jared Pola says it's a figment of Councilwoman Jurinsky's imagination. And then we'll talk to Mary Kaufman about, Okay, you know what can be done? This obviously can't be tolerated, What can be done, Why hasn't it been done already? And we'll get very concrete about what is the fix there, because this isn't America. It cannot be America. It cannot be the new normal in America. That we know for sure, across party lines we know, which is why it's becoming a flashpoint in the presidential race because this video is national now. People don't want that as the future of America. That's why Jared Polus is lying and saying that's really not happening, because it knows it hurts Democrats so much because it's democrats, it's Kamala Harris, Democrats like Kim who want that border open. Mark Kaufman next on The Dan Kaplis Show.
Speaker 6: You're listening to the Dan Kaplis Show podcast.
Speaker 3: What you know is we have areas in our city, unfortunately that have been overtaken and that we have to take back street by street.
Speaker 1: Block by block privileged to have or is Mayor Mike Kaufman in studio with us right now? This is big national story, as you know, mister Maren. In fact, President Trump addressed it today amazingly as we were waiting for you to come in.
Speaker 2: We're on live.
Speaker 1: In our last segment, Governor Polis shows up on CNN and CNN starts, to their credit, they start grilling him on way a second. Governor, you say that this story that Venezuela and gangs are taking over apartment complexes in Aurora is a figment of a councilwoman's imagination. Do you stand by that, Governor? And then he weaseled around that. But let's start our time together today with is this a figment of Danielle Jerinsky's imagination or is it really happening?
Speaker 2: Well, that's not a fact my imagination. So that.
Speaker 12: There are several buildings that are problematic that where there is a concentration of Veezuelan migrants, and I think you know, when you have a concentration of venezuel and migrants, sometimes that criminal element follows, and I think that's what happened here. So the interesting thing is the City of Aurora and council supported me. I did everything we could to stay out of this migrant crisis. We said at the beginning that we would spend no tax dollars unlike Denver, and went step further and said we would not be a conduit to federal or state resources coming down to provide assistance, because I just felt that at that time that you know that there would be lots of legacy type costs, and you know we would never be compensated for it.
Speaker 2: And I disagreed with federal policy at the border, and I think.
Speaker 12: That that accepting them would acquiesce to what's going on in the border. And so what happened was you had this mass, a wave of migrants coming up from Venezuela, and Venezuela is essentially.
Speaker 2: A failed state.
Speaker 12: I mean you the police there or their only job is to defend the dictatorship. It's not to protect the people from crime, so criminal and the economies creators, so criminality is just rampant down there. And so I think you which you had with that wave of immigration, and you have the country of Venezuela that does not cooperate as other countries do with US Immigration Services when it comes to criminal history. So I don't know what was done to vet people at the border. But when you have a policy, to me, what's what, it's such a gray area what's legal what's illegal? Because you can today under this administration, walk across the border illegally, get arrested, uh, declare that you want to apply for political asylum, get what's called humanitarian prolled into the country, and your court date is way out there, who knows when.
Speaker 2: Years to get it adjudicated.
Speaker 12: And to end, you're not allowed to work for six You can't apply for a work permit for six months. This is not like the immigration we've had, and I'm a real pro legal immigration. We have one of the most diverse communities in the Colorado.
Speaker 1: Well, you did all these things right to try to stop this from coming to Aurora. So how did all these people end up in Aura?
Speaker 12: Well, I'm trying to walk it back, and what I think has happened was this. I think this is the This is these properties all belong to the same owner, and he's an out of state owner. Quite frankly, it is its lumlord. He let us properties deteriorate. I think they had a reasonable high vacancy rate, and he has really cheap rents as a result of that. And so what I think is that a federal government or state government, one of the two went to some of our local nonprofits and offer this guy ideal, said, you know, we'll pay you guarantee.
Speaker 2: For so many months you take them in.
Speaker 12: And then and then you had this concentration of Venezuela migrants in there, and I think the criminal element followed, and they and the criminal elements tend to exploit its own within its own community. So I think that's you know, here, here's a city that did its best to stay out of this. Can they get ended up getting stuck with the worst of it?
Speaker 1: How did these folks end up in a rord to begin with?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 1: Were they shipped there by Denver or did they go.
Speaker 12: You know, I think that's one thing we got to look at. Was it you know, was Denver somehow, I hope not complicit in this? Was a stay complicit in this? I think, if I had to bet, I guess probably federal government, you know, whether it's FEMA.
Speaker 2: I don't know who it was. Uh, you know that they went of.
Speaker 12: Our nonprofits got a contract with them, didn't go through the city we're not aware of and place them in the in these with this one owners and the problem resides really with his one owner and his properties.
Speaker 1: How many apartment complexes at this point have been taken over by these Venezuelan gangs.
Speaker 2: Several they're three, okay.
Speaker 1: And then when you were with us in July thirty first you talked about how there are are blocks in Aurora that have to be taken back block Bible.
Speaker 2: I think what I was referring to there is a different kind of crime, you know.
Speaker 12: Unfortunately, I'm really focused on the Kofeci Quodor, which is which is a kind of it's unfortunately a high crime area, and these things are very close within the vicinity. Really, I would consider part of the Quarridor. When I was a kid growing up, it was the central business district for the city, you know, really vibrant, really exciting, you know, and all retail pretty much mostly retail. And the problem is is that it's those buildings are still there, the same buildings when I was a kid, only they're vacant or they're marginally used.
Speaker 2: I'm working to redevelop the area.
Speaker 12: But what you have, uh, is you got a lot of drug dealing, prostitution and homelessness in that area.
Speaker 1: And getting back to the Venezuelan gangs taking over these apartment complex is a common question we get on the show. I'm sure you get all the time. Is is obviously, I mean you're you're a guy who put your life on this line for this country and serving in the military in Iraq. So you know better than we than anybody that this can't be tolerated for one hour in America. It's so opposite who we are. So why has this been allowed to continue?
Speaker 2: For either not allowed? But sorry? What we have take you to?
Speaker 1: I know you've been on the round every time I walk through my lobby, I see you on one national news show.
Speaker 12: I mean, we've got police officers inside these buildings, go to door to door.
Speaker 2: I think the difficulty is is.
Speaker 12: It's all you know, It's like, if you want to compare it to a military situation, it's counterinsurgency. And so the challenge that when I was in Iraq that we had was that the insurgents would would could fall back into the population, right, and so that's why the it's it's so key to have.
Speaker 2: Uh, the support of these.
Speaker 12: People that are intimidated by them and not cooperative right now. But we there's a backup plan that I have, uh that I put on my Facebook page this afternoon and essentially that I hope it doesn't come to this, but it might.
Speaker 2: I mean, we're gonna go.
Speaker 12: We're we're gonna file uh in our own municipal court for a emergency order uh to its essentially shut the building down, shut these building downs under a criminal nuisance ordinance.
Speaker 2: But we're we made some key rest so far.
Speaker 12: We were wrestled a very significant gang leader, uh this so far and uh, and so we're continuing to work in that way.
Speaker 2: But I got to have this. This is kind of like a backstop.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maror Mike Coffman kind enough to be with us when we come back from this break. I want to deep dive the fix, right because everybody listening, that's what they're focused on, is wait a second, this can't be allowed to exist in America? What is the fix? But before we hit this break, question on everybody's mind as they're listening is wait a second, we've got these video you can see these guys. Is we're able to identify these criminals walking around with these weapons. Are arrests being made.
Speaker 12: Well, we're absolutely looking for them, I think. And one of the challenges that we have under our legal system, under our criminal justice system, right or wrong, is you have to catch them doing something wrong. I think for those it's clear that they want something wrong. Yeah, they're pounding on that door. They had weapons, although you know the Second Amendment rights apply to every resident I think in this country. But you know, intimidating. They're clearly intimidating somebody. So there's a basis there. But you know, we're the question is this can we be one hundred percent before the court gives us the authority just to clear the buildings, period, and so that our objective is to be one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: But if not, I just don't want this situation to drag on.
Speaker 1: Right now, when we come back with Mark Kaufman will drill down deeper on his plan next step plan to take back these apartment complexes in order to get into the issue of the cooperation of people living there. Because my bed is you'll never get any for good reason, right because any person in the right mind to be terrified of these gangs if they're living in there. We'll come back. Mark Kaufman's so kind to spend time with us. You're on the Dan Capla Show.
Speaker 6: And now back to the Dan Kapla Show podcast.
Speaker 10: Local police confirmed the Venezuelan gang trend de ar Agua is committing quote isolated crimes in the areas they put it. Is this something that you need to take more seriously.
Speaker 5: Oh, we've taken it very seriously.
Speaker 11: Weeks ago, I convene in the city of Aurora with the state and federal government. Look, it is completely illegal in Colorado to take over and occupy a building, and Aurora police departments on the front lines if they need our help. I've told the mayor, I've told the police department the state is ready to assist your police department if it's above and beyond your.
Speaker 5: Capabilities to do that.
Speaker 11: If the people alleging this have more evidence, please bring it forward, give it to Aurora Police department.
Speaker 5: The State of Colorado takes these.
Speaker 1: Gud turn that officer if the people alleging this have more evidence and to see an End's credit. In that same interview, they confronted him on hey, you're saying this is a figment of the imagination of a councilwoman. And then he kind of weaseled around that, Well, we have the mayor here, Mayor Kaufman with us right here, and Mayor, you've established this is really happening. And is the governor telling the truth? Is he come to you and said, you want to.
Speaker 12: Quite a few conversations with the governor on this issue. Well, you know, I think it's I think you missed. I let me tell you what I think he was trying to say.
Speaker 2: But didn't say it. Uh.
Speaker 12: And I'll give him credit uh for his conversations with me anyway. I think he certainly realizes the significance of this issue because we've had discussions on that that topic. I think he's been instrumental and uh providing state law enforcement resources uh uh to this issue and and uh and being an advocate for us in terms of federal law enforcement resources.
Speaker 2: He has been Uh, he's been good in that regard.
Speaker 12: I think he's concerned that that the damaging economic effect if this is exaggerated, uh, and so I think that's a legitimate concern. But I think that he misspoke uh in that context by saying that it's it's imaginary.
Speaker 2: It certainly is not imaginary.
Speaker 1: Mark Kaufman kind enough to be with. We've been talking earlier about the video now that has really captured America's attention, and it's so terrifying showing what's reported to be Venezuelan gang members with these large weapons terrorizing an apartment complex. And the issue came up as to whether there's a Second Amendment right for them, And and mister mayor, what's your understanding there.
Speaker 2: We know that.
Speaker 1: I think just last week a federal appeals court out of New Orleans found that illegal migrants do not have gun rights protected by the Second Amendment. But you made a different point about legal status.
Speaker 12: Yeah, such a great in my view, it's a I mean my view it much broader in terms of who I see as illegal. But that to this administration's view, a federal gunman's view, they have a fairly expansive definition as to what's legal.
Speaker 2: That if in fact, you could.
Speaker 12: You can walk across the border, you can get arrested, you can then say you want political asylum, they give you humanitarian parole pending your court date to adjudicate your claim.
Speaker 2: Which could be way out there. Uh, and you you know you're legal I was.
Speaker 12: I go out with police every now and then on different patrols, and so I was out there one night where in District one on Colfax we run Colfax and there was a nice car to our front that didn't have license plates, and pulled it over. And the person didn't obviously didn't speak English. I can speak Spanish. And he didn't have a license, he didn't have obviously registration insurance. All he had was a little shit of paper with his picture on the upper left hand corner and a court date.
Speaker 2: That was his identification.
Speaker 1: So under Biden and Harris, you enter the country legally, then you're handed a piece of paper that makes you legal indefinitely. Here but a quick follow up questions, mister mayor, we have about a minute left for all you have a plan now, you have a backup plan to reclaim these apartment complexes that have been taken over by Venezuelan gangs. Please let folks know it well.
Speaker 12: I think, first of all, our police are being you know, not only that or other law enforcement partners, giving one hundred percent of this inside the building, door to door, trying to root the bad guys out. However, simultaneously we are going to do an emergency order through our municipal court to shut these buildings down as criminal nuisances under the Criminal Nuisance Ordinance. If we think that that's necessary at at the time, I just don't want to wait for that, right, you know, And so I think it's important to press both issues simultaneously.
Speaker 2: And what if I mean, if if we feel that these.
Speaker 12: Buildings are one hundred percent secure prior to the court granting us this authority, that's fine. But if not, then unfortunately we've got have to shut the buildings down. What means moving everybody out of the buildings to regain control.
Speaker 1: Which is the way we'll end today, Which is the question of wait a second, Okay, Polish said he wants to help, but isn't there at least some chance that police put these people in Aurora to begin with? I mean, Aurora made it clear it did not want to be part of housing migrants. Then all of a sudden, somebody from the outside forced all these migrants into these complexes in Aurora.
Speaker 2: So who did it?
Speaker 12: So we're going to do an investigation because I think it's so important to know that. It's so important to because what we know now is that whenever you have a concentration of these migrants, the criminality can very well follow.
Speaker 2: I think I think you just assumed that criminal is going to follow. And so I asked the governor yesterday. I said about I said, don't send anymore. He said he didn't send any So.
Speaker 1: We're going to find out. Thank you for being here. I know how busy you are. Let's continue the conversation. Mayor Mike Kaufman of Aurora, thank you Ryan for your great job. Today is always Kelly, the human ray of sunshine. Have a tremendous, tremendous Labor Day weekend, and we'll be back on Tuesday. Join us then on the Dan Kapla Show.