Speaker 1: Welcome to Jewish History Uncensored with Mark Shapiro. This is season sixteenth, episode thirty four.
Speaker 2: We're gonna move quicker today, more quickly because one of the responds that we'll be seeing is like ten pages. But before you go to that, I have interesting things to show you. I want to show you some videos. First. Let's see. The first thing I want to show you is just because we sort of mentioned it before, something related to it. My son sent it to me about thirty seconds from his yeshiva. I think you'll find it interesting if you don't have children in yeshiva there what they're doing and how they're having dobbining. And you'll see with the plastic and you'll see one of the rushi yeshiva how he's like locked in this box. But the reason I'm showing you is not that is I want you to see the dobbining. This is a roachhotish dauvining. This is the sort of thing that when I went to yeshiva, never in a million years would you have this. And with a guitar and this and that and varron listency, I think he would have gone and been very upset to see what I'm gonna show you now, but it shows you how there's been there's different types of yeshivas. And even though this is a yeshiva in the old city, a right where they do I mean, they do have a gamar and everything. But I want to show you this first. This is the first video I'm going to show you, So pay attention to this. So I I think that's quite interesting that. I mean, that's a rushmotostavy with a guitar. As I said, when I was in a shiva, no one in a million years would have thought that that's considered appropriate. I want to show you now another video because I mentioned actually before I get to the videos. Before I get the videos, I listened to the this morning to the class last week we spoke. I forgot to mention the thing that he's most known for. Many of you probably know this. There you go, the tevos. This is everyone has this book, especial the Ordain, So every every time you need to know a strange abbreviation, you pull it up here. He's also known because he's the editor of this work. Okay, I got a shima. Anyone's interested in serious investigation of pesa, the SADR has to look at the h got a shlima and you see, uh, right on the very first page it tells you Nazi. So oh, okay, two more things I want to show you actually won here. Let me pull up the screens, get my screens here for you. Okay. In terms of videos, I want to show you a lot of videos. Okay. First thing, I think you'll find it interesting because I also mentioned this, Uh, there's if you're looking for something to watch, there's this guy, Peter Santanello. He goes all over the world and he uh, he just exposes his people. You see this, hundreds thousands of views to all different cultures in Ukraine, Pakistan. He did about thirteen sessions with the residiing and it's really very interesting and if you read the comments, it's unbelievable all the positive the kinish asham that Peter is making because all these people are anything. I never knew anything about the hussd well. I thought we're bad things and uh, but what I found significant is that he actually goes to a Friday night dinner and the family says that you know, it took it. We had it was it was complicated. We had to get a permission from the rabbi to rabbis, I think they say, to let us film this so he so here you can watch the video. They haven't a camera men filming it on Shabis I mentioned, which I find astounding, although we've had other examples. There was I think it was made visions or bells. Uh, they put a camera in there. I don't know if it was actually individuals or not, just a camera for young tef dobvining. But if it's okay to video, UH have a videographer there on shabist. The next time your son has a bar of mist on shabis, you get a videographer. Also. Maybe they make a distinction, they say, in this case, the Peter is not doing it for the Jssetu. He's doing it for his viewers. So they're not benefiting. But uh, and maybe because it's such a Kiddish asham. But the fact is here you have a has sceenic family and you have a whole non Jewish film crew in there filming them Friday night. And the other thing I want to show you is I spoke about the non Jewish songs used for Jewish that that are made Jewish. And we know that we know Mordeham and David. We know classic ones. I mentioned one I didn't now here. I have it in front of me. I wrote about it. There's a famous Hassienic song where which is taken from a love song, the original love song. It says in German or original German. Uh, it goes uh Forrest Forrest, how large are you rosa Rosa? How distant or are you volved? The gros bistou rosa Rosa? He vit this too, and it goes on and about. It's all about Rosa the collar for Rebby. This is famous CASEIDI know this. He turned this love song into rogo just song. So instead of uh so so you sing about gous gouss how far are you? And instead of Rosa Rosa, how distant are you? It's Squeena Screena. We vite this du and this is this is well known amount hasidim uh this song. But after hearing this, uh Rabbi Ari Inkin sent me the following. This is an Ottoman military song. I I did not know this at all, but pay attention, you'll recognize this now. I don't know where this comes. Maybe it comes through Hungary because that was under Automan control. Maybe it's from erisis Throl. Wait, we got it. Maybe it's a smarty tune. I know nothing. If anyone knows about this, let me know. I think I already. You know, among the Haarai team, they often have no clue about solos, at least I mentioned. We talked about the Simon and Garfunk. I think I even showed you on the Idea show you. I mean some of their videos, their tor videos, beginners phollows. I'll play it again for those who haven't seen it. This is a ser by Reliao Mada, who's actually one of the people in my book. He wrote to me. We mentioned him earlier on This is how it begins the seer on Holomaid. You know, is is it everything you need to do? Know about? Because callam o aid what's permissible and what's not? The Haadi will go and they don't know, many of them Israelis especially, they have no clue what this tune is that starts the share. I dare say that most of you know what it is. You might say it's a little crazy, put the tow with that, but then what can I say? Okay, now, oh we have home this I said to you, ask us and a man get bar. I'm going to get to I promise believe that I'll get to uh the thing I want to show you about Yako. I want to show you one more thing before we get to that, dell I said last quest, I was talking about Madrid, and I want to show you something I think you also find very interesting. What can you eat in Madrid that we can't eat in America. So I walk into the the the butcher shop there in Madrid, and there's a sign on the wall that on the butcher shop that hold on they get it for you. That the the the meat there they have. It's done nicoor and it's a from Eric to Straus. So what is nicor nkor actually has? There's an English word for it. The English word is called porche. This is a word in the English language, but it only means Jewish thing. It means to make a soldered animal ceremonial clean by removal of the forbidden fat, et cetera. This goes back to the nineteenth century in England. You can look up the dictionary. This is actually a real word, a scrabble word. You can use this porche, but it only means this Jewish thing that so people assume that you can't eat the hind quarters. I don't know much about beef, maybe some of you, but I know for example, he got you have the tender wine, the sirle wine, the top sir wine, and people assume you can't eat it. It's not true. You can eat it, but you have to remove the uh, you have to remove the forbidden fats. Now in America we generally don't do that, although and then some people actually think it's a min hub not to it's not. It's you can read Rabby Zibatowsky's article here. It's today it's done. You can get the hind quarters and Ergi sterol you. Ramosha has a chew on it, you see, he says, And when he was in Europe they had it. It's just that people don't do it because it's difficult and it's easy just to sell it to the non Jews. But Ramosha is clearing his chuva. If you want to eat it, you can eat it. And as I said to Robert Newton, Israel al Gaucho I had it so when I was there. So it used to be you couldn't get it in America you'd have to go to Madrid or Israel. But I was just looking before I saw Kabad site. It says, technically, for le mignona's's kosher is any the other cut of meat. And it explains though that it's nikoor. Is not so simple, But he says, I believe most waterhouses sell the hind quarters of the kettleton non kosher butchers. But it does exist, and actually it is now. It's a new trend. I know of two places, at least two. So for example, there's one place in the New York area called Bistra Kosher, and you can get all the all the good stuff. Can't get rid of that thing, all good stuff you want? Who does it? His name is avidad Avi don Elkin. He teaches is that yu it's under them, and he also is on the basin of Elizabeth and he writes get in there. And then there's another place. Hey, it's expensive. Look what this charges the beef tender wine. It's expensive. But there's also a place in Philadelphia called King of phil A. It's under here. Who this is who it's under? His son is Eljanda, and he's a rabbi in Philadelphia. His father's on the basin of Jerusalem, and I guess this is a Habad guy. That's a Habad name. So you can read all about on the website about uh and you can order if you're interested, if you're a real meek person and you want to get your tenderloin or sirloin there. It is the final thing I want to do before we begin the ship it to you. Also, the final thing I want to do is uh. I'm going to get rid of this is I. I told you I would share something with you that I think you'll find of interest about Yakov and Leah. We're speaking a good deal about it. So here here we go. How is it? The question is how is it that Yakov didn't know who was with them on the wedding night? Already, by the way, Josefast mentions that he was he was drunk. Now, there was an article that appeared a number of years ago in this journal. It's actually an academic journal called Vitas Testamental. But it it's it's in line with we'll see them afore sham in a second. But he wants to argue, and he does things I never thought of before. That there's actually you can perhaps derive proofs that that was the case from the tsukim itself. If you look in the puss up in peraic, are we here in twenty nine when it speaks of a, yeah, what is love and say to him hold on for verse twenty six, love one says, well when he wakes up, when you could wakes up and s he says, we didn't do it an ard place that you know, to give the cityra, we make habeira to give the younger uh before the older. Now these two words sit ira and ira only appear together and the feminine one other time, and that's earlier on in with the story of uh of love on not love on of lote. And if you look in verse thirty three, well of our verse thirty one, first you have habeira and that's era. And that's also a similar case. It's a case of sexual relations where person doesn't really know what's going on. So the author wants to argue that this is this is the hint to what's going on here and further and that you won't find any of the traditional commentaries. But then he starts pointing out the word mishka. What's the whole business with a mishta. If you look going back in twenty nine, in verse twenty two, it says that love them gathered all his people and made a mishta. What is a mishta? Well, if you look in the the sisemim on the passak, he tells you dos kanum sorry dosa kani baletosophos It mentions that Loven is known as a ramaia trying to be fraudulent. Why because he wanted the sha karasako bayayan in order to trick him. So he wanted to get him drunk. Now, what is a misterie? If you look in peraicutests and at the very verse, very chapter I mentioned.
Speaker 3: With with Lote in the commentary of the store note in your test, Gimmo, it says, what is a mistaasuda ayayan?
Speaker 2: That the definition of mishta means with wine, So all these things, it's possible that that could be the shot that there was a misstep, and maybe y'all called everything wasn't so uh clear, perhaps because I shot. It's hard to figure out what's going on there. One final comment about mishta before we begin. In this safer which I just got from rubble up, a couple of shorts. So we were speaking about already a couple of weeks ago what I told you. He has a whole for a summerhast. He has some very interesting insights in Then in volume five we could take Deburim. On page fifty eight and fifty nine, he asks a very interesting question, why on Porim do we have a mishta a feast and why on Khonikah did they did the Razo make a decreejdo so hallo and not to have a misstep. People have a people like to get together on Knakah, but there's no India of a mishta khonka, but like we do have on Purim. Instead we have special prayers. And he develops the idea that that before hasal changed it. Everyone when they wanted to express their u simbra for something positive, it was only with a mishtah with Yayan and Mordechai and Esther established it this way because that's what the people did. And he says, maybe even the Navim held this, but the interesting Necessardola, they're the ones who established that for simpla has to be with a vota sahem sim And he very interesting how he speaks about how a mishta, how how our feelings of joy were transferred to to prayer and mitzvah as opposed to mishta. It's like the the the the the breast breast lovers saying, uh, simple mits it's a great mitsa to bea And what did the Revelvo solo Atrix say? Not mitzvah, simp but simply mitzvah. It's where we feel great joy when we're in a mitzvah, not that it's a great mitsvah to be enjoyed. Okay, everyone, let us now go on. We are continuing in the safe air. We are on page to sixty one, Simon, and we are returning now to a respond to Ramanasha Klin. Let me get a picture of him again, because this will be the last time we see Revmanasha Klin in our chew vote. Here he is. We've spoken a good deal about him. This chow va, which we're gonna see for it is not included in his missionat I think the reason it's not included, unfortunately, I have to say, is because the cook and or an idea for a rough cook. I think that's the reason that there's no mention. I checked online. There's no mention of roof cook in Ramanasha Clin's faru and he just he mentions masata of cook when he quotes Romband. You won't mention cook. I think that's the reason we spoke about Ramanashaklin. I told you how impressed I am what almdon unbelieve. And they also said that there's the Yeshivah circles and is not very impressed. And in Yeshivah circles they would make a joke that instead of calling it mission has shana halathaut because they thought that so many of his rulings were contrary to what they should be mashana meaning change. Incidentally, if you google, you'll see pretty unbelievably, I guess slips to the pen you'll find Daniel Sperber calls b Barry Levy. I don't know what they were thinking that they wrote it, but that you'll see in their books. But the phrase mission and mashana goes all the way back to Ramera a Bolafia of Toledom. In his attack against the Rumbomb, he says as follows, he refers to the mission tura and he says, uh amy odeya at Ohra, which means I don't know if the mission of Tara should be referred to as Mishana Tara because he rejects a lot which the Rumbam wrote or mission of Tara. So you see this gibe where this jab you know, is it mission or is it Mishana goes all the way back to one of the great reshow memes, Ramera Baia. Okay, so what is uh he say here in in this responded to me from nineteen eighty seven when I was in college. You know, I have to say that when I looked at the back at all these letters, uh how uh it's amazing I was. And this is just the scholar the Toro letters, I have a whole I can publish another behind of just academic letters. And I have too letters and additional Toro letters which were included. I really I spent a lot of time I'm writing these letters. This goes back to when I was in college. Off my son to here. But let me give you an introduction here because there's something you need to know to appreciate this, and that's we all like to say that our people like to say that Judaism is different than Christianity, because Christianity has this concept here you see it here outside the church, there is no salvation. And this was a expressed by many Catholic teachers. You have many Protestants who say that today what it means is that if you don't accept Jesus, you can't be saved, you can't go to Heaven, whatever you want to put that as. And it's often portrayed that, well, you know, we don't have that because we believe that all non Jews can go go to all in Hubba, and we're different than the non Jews, and that one much more tolerant and open minded in that respect. And that's usually given and you'll see it all these different gatherings. People will throw that out as a as a truism. Well it's actually, I don't know, can you have a falsism. It's actually a falsism from two sides. First of all, I have to tell you, and I work at a Gothoin university, that is no longer the doctrine of the Catholic Church. It is. You might find certain evangelicals who have this idea, but today the church does not say that. What they say is that everyone you can only be saved through Jesus. But you don't have to be in the church. That is, someone who has good intentions and a good person will reach Heaven. Okay, we don't need to be concerned about their doctrine, but just so you need to know that that's just so if you're interested that it's not exactly what the church holds, say the counsel Church, I shall say, and most Protestants as well. But what about Jews. Well, it's not so simple. Either. I want to show you something now or rumbum and let me just read it to you. It says the It's in Hesm chapter eight. It says, koha makabo cheva mitzmos. Anyone want to talking to Nanjou who accepts the seven mitzvos venisso son and is careful to fulfill them hares had almosam. This person is one of what we call the Hasidim, the amaban. He has to share in the world to come the who and what does that mean? Shiakaboo son that as he accepts these mitzmos the son and does them many shatsiva the han hakotas ad mosher abenu shabe noahki. But only if the nanjou does these cheva Mitzo's not because he's a good person or just as a Moro person, but he only does it because God commanded this in the Torah and told Mosher Abu that non Jews are obligated in this plays. But if he did it simply because he concluded natural wall or whatever, he concluded this is a good way to live, which is pretty much every anjou that's they're not doing it because of the Torah. They're not Noah hides. You only have a few of those in the world. If you just do it because if you think it's the proper way to live, ain's a ghirtoshev. This person is not regarded as a ghirtoshev. The aosia almost Ohm is not regarded as one of the hasio most oha volo, and is not even regarded as a hawkham one of the wise men, meaning that he has no share in the world to come. This is a bit of a shocking passage for people who don't know, because it basically you have here the Rambam saying the exact parallel to what we just saw was the old Catholic doctrine. Outside the church there is no salvation, pretty much the same thing. This is the subject incidentally, of an article, a famous article by the way, Stephen Schwartzchild, do Noah Heights have to believe in revelation? He says, it's a passage in disputeen Mimonodese, Spinoza, Mendelssohn and Herman Cohen. What's the story with Mendelssohn. Mendelssohn. It's because Mendelssohn was so upset with this passage that he wrote through Yakavenden. He said, this is unfair. What of the people who live on these islands who never heard of the Torah? And the Yakavenden basically upholds what the Rumbum says the kussubmission on the spot. He doesn't know where the Ramam gets this. He thinks it's his own idea, although he thinks it makes sense. However, if we take us back to the passage here, you can actually see that in the note it points out something different that in the the the the version of the Yemonites, it doesn't. It says that this person who just observes themidst us because it makes sense is not but the other version is rather he is one of the wise men. He's not as olam, but he's a wise man of the of the nations. And that's obviously a very good thing to be a wise man. For the rambamb mob, what is better being a hasid or being a hakam? You have to look at hoks deeos the ram bam. Basically, you want to be a haham. Occasionally, you know, you can go beyond and then be a hasid, But being a hakam might be better. And if it's not better, it's certainly very good. Hasid might only be for certain special people. And then it points out that this is the Nusa in the Mahra Malashkar. And if he quotes here Themara Miguilla. If someone says some hajma, even from even ann Ju, he's called akkam. So if you say so hajma, you're called a hakam. Is So presumably if you figured out that you should observe Tomrah or observe the chev Mitzvos on your own, you should be a hakkam. And then they cite what they think is the source for this, where it's called Mishnas Rebels. It's the midrash which says that who is one of the people who was regarded as Osidio Mosoa. It's if you do it because God commanded this to Noah. But if you do it, then say I heard it from someone else, You only get your scar in this world, So that could the source not so important at the moment. So I about Nasha Klein, as I said, he's a great scholar, and there's all sorts of great stuff in his writings, but there's a lot of stuff that, let me just say that if you're not just in the Haaradi world because they've had their big issues with him, but certainly in the modern northnot the world, you just can't accept it. Just some stuff which are far out. I've spoke about this, views of women, views of non Jews, views of converts. There's a lot of extreme stuff in his writings, which is why in the Yeshiva world they came up with this expression mashanahafolt, but which I would never say, because look, he's entitled his opinion even if I feel that we don't accept it. And as I said, the learning in his stuff in his writing, and he's also he survived the Holocaust when it comes to the non Jews. We're going to see next week with the Kleusenberger. You have to sort of, I think, give some leeway for that. And in terms of the women's issue, this really is a reflection of pre Who or Hungary. I think I one day I'll publish my article on him. There's so much interesting stuff in him, and you get unbelievable cool is in him. He thinks that a lot of these clumras come from the Balichuva. He doesn't like. He doesn't like bally Chuba so much, but he blames the Balichuva and the rabbis who are trying to work with the Balichuva. They make things too difficult in many places. He's he's a big may kill. And he doesn't like the new Orthodoxy that has popped up after the war, because he says, whoever heard of this in Europe? So there's a lot to say about Ramanasha clients someone someone could really do a whole doctor par dissipation on him. But one of the things that is troubling at is to me is that throughout his writings he's always saying that every non Jew basically has no share in the world to come there. It's why because the Rumbum he goes, there's no non Jews who ever observed misvolt because they were commanded, and the Rombam says, therefore you have no share in the world to come. So basically they're overshine. The whole world is for shine. It's who wants to go through life when every single person's in Russia and you can't deal with pious people who are not of your religion, because we all know they're pious people who are of a different religion. They don't have the complete truth, but they have certain truths. And but there's Sara Minasha has says. Some of the stuff he says is really really extreme. Okay, so why did I write to him? I wrote him because he's always citing this ram bum, and I say, why are you citing this ram bum? It's pretty clear. I said that this is not the correct yours. The correct Yrsa is Ella Merha Mayhem, not the Loch Mayhem. And I cite the m Andite text. And the Ammonites have excellent gear. So they're the best of all the gearsas the Rama for them was the authority. And generally you look in the m and I text. The gearsa in everything is they were very careful on it, and uh they just copied it without making changes. No. In in the Ashcanas, for instance, the Ashkenazic rabbis, they would put their comments on the side. They would put sometimes change the text. They change the text so often there Beeno tom had to creat ram saying if you change the actual text as opposed to putting on the side, you're in haram. But not everyone listened to uh Rabeno tom so the m Andite text and also Maramalashkar, and there's other sources that have this different uh gearso so and I cited the the source that in the missis sort of the So he begins as follows. He says to me, I want to make a comment to you that it's not our way to say that this text is a mistake. That's what I said. I said, it's a mistake. Perhaps I shouldn't have said that, but I said that, he says, because who we don't have prophecy, who can say that it's a mistake. What I should have said is it appears much more likely if I'm not mistaken or supports this Ranashaklin's text, but all the other scholars and neveryone assumes that it's not correct. And he says that what you should say is there's another version of it. Still he never then he never grants it. So then I'm from Nasha Khin. I expect him to say, though, why does he make such a big deal about this text that he has when we have all sorts of so many other texts that seem to make a lot more sense. Look is Aristotle, and your Alma writes about Aristotle that he he didn't know Tora, but he reached the great heights and understanding. Gonna say that he's just another Russia. It doesn't really make sense. We'll see, Mouzeu says in a minute. And then he said, and I sent him of Cook. Roff Cook has a letter. It's an egosurf Cook volume one, page ninety nine, where of Cook says that of course the correct year is Ellen Mhem and Roff Cook develops the idea that a Haham is greater than a hussed and that when we say that a Hassili almost olam have a share in the world to come, that's that's the lower level because the Hajamim. They are able intellectually to figure out on their own the best way to live the hasidi almost and they only do it because they're told. It's what comp would call heteronomy, whereas the other is it's autonomy. They's on their own figure it out that this is the right way to live. It shows that they've reached an amazing height. It's like we say about avre Leavinu that he did certain mitzhos. He was able to figure this out. It shows an incredible uh development of whether he because we usually assume he figured it out on his own, he wasn't told through then on his own he understood that that's the way to fulfill God's will, even though he wasn't commanded. And the rough cook says that that these people who were able to figure out on their own, for example, that you shouldn't kill and you shouldn't steal, that's on a higher level than those who just accepted this because this is what God says to do. And by the way, the Rumba himself says this, the Rumbum says that that when he has a problem here, because there's one place where the sage just say you're not supposed to say that you're supposed to say, for example, about certain sins. He says, I want to do it, but a terris says I can't. It's like I'm not supposed to say I hate kosher food. You're supposed say no, not coacher food. No, not kosher food tastes good. It's just that we're commanded not to. On the other hand, the rum says that what doesn't this contradict what you're gonna say? Uh, I mean that, you know, I wish I could kill this person, but uh, you know, I'm not going to because of the trus says not to, or I really wanna, you know, commit adultery, even I'm not going to because the Taurus says, or rape this person. The rambum distinguishes between like natural laws, which you would know even without the toe, if you would say that I really want to kill, where I really want to steal from this person, but I'm not going because the Taurus says I'm not going not to. That's like a low level. That is a low level. Yes, better than nothing, but you should know on your own that it's wrong to kill and wrong to steal. And that's the whole reason why we assume that people could be punished even though they never were given a revelation like in the days of Noah. Of these people they didn't know anything, but they should have known on their own that the killing is wrong, stealing is wrong. So all this fits into a very nice approach that we have and is that odds by the way, with the rumbums, the version that we have in the mission or sort of cook goes off and explaining how that we don't even need to say about these people that they have a share in the world to come, because of course they have a share in the world to come. They're higher than the people who are just doing it because they're commanded. Seduca by the way, is one you have some people who say that the only reason we give saducah is because we're commanded. If we weren't commanded, why would I ever give sadaka? But that strikes me as real, really off and it's not in line with all the great rabbinic teachers that teach the es a notion of a natural law. No, you should give saduaka because it's the right thing to do. The lowest level is the one who does who says, well, if it wasn't for the midst, I never give sadaka. And the only reason you're doing it is because you're commanded. You should do it even if you're not commanded. And the reason we had sadukah, according to many, falls into the model of a natural law that you should know on your own intellectually, you should rationally know that it's the right thing to do. And so after summarizing this letter, he doesn't say who it's from. He says, sing lea may Garrett a copy of a letter, I mean a copy, And I said to him in my note, I tell you who it is. He says, with all due respect, the Bali Garrett, the person who wrote this letter. It bothers me. You can't even say re the Bali Garrett made a big mistake here, Charley Marie. May God forgive him, because even though it says he has a good intentions, he explains that no, that this is incorrect, that the version of the rumba we have is correct, that just like if a Jew, he says, yeah, the non j you has to know he's doing it because it's commanded, And he gives a para. He says, just like a Jew if you decide that you just like every seventh day, you like to rest and you like to not use your phones, just because you feel that makes for a healthier life, is that the fill in the midst of He says, of course not, there's no starry, You're not doing anything. So the same thing with the non Jews. Of course, the difference is that we're talking about a ritual law like Shabis, where you would only do it because they're commanded, and the natural w roof Cook would say, you can't compare the two. The Chevs they know a her natural laws that non Jews are able to understand on their own. That's what makes them. I mean, what does the kamara say you could have earned certain things from behavior of animals? And but he goes off and explains that, no, it's not true. If Cook is wrong that you have to you have to accept everything, you have to do it because I guess he might say you have to do tadaka because who's commanded. And then he says, although it's true that if someone says there's hakma bagoian, there's wisdom on the goole, and he says, you have to believe it that's only a cokma which does nothing to with Torah. But hakmasa tora no. But again, if I Cook would say to him, the chevss today Noah are not only from Torah. They're the sort of thing that by definition you shouldn't be able to figure out on your own, even without being commanded their natural law. That's what of Cook would say. But I Klein rejects that show them to agree with what this letter says, that these people have even greater star. And then he doesn't like the source from the miser because Michel Sara Leezzer says that the idea is that you have to you accept that it comes hussy to musoam is when it comes from Noah, whereas the Rombam says from Mosha. So I don't really have a source for the rumbamba per se. So then you see Ramanasha Kaim with a really very particularistic, exclusivist uh view, rejecting not just for Cook, but this whole tradition of seeing the rambamb not saying that the person who observes the show of mispost because on his own intellect, not because their commanded, is not one of the haside of Muslim, he's not even one of the hum So there's more in this letter another point. But I want to make a detour now because Rabbi Mazus, who I don't know how many of you knew anything about Rebbie Mazous before we started these classes. We're gonna have more to say about him in future classes. When I sent him the copy of the book, he gives us Saturday night sheer and then the Shear is published as weekly thing. They printed about one hundred thousand copies in Israel. It's the largest weekly shear in terms of distribution in the world. They even had it in Gerbi when I was there, printed out. But believe it or not, he dealt with this letter from Manasha Clan in his evening sheer. So I'll tell you what he says. But before I do that, on a second, I guess. Before I do that, I want to play you just what he says. You can actually sing it. It's on YouTube and you'll see it's a very hard Hebrew to understand, an Arabic sort of Hebrew. And now you have to listen carefully to what he says. He says something about me which is incorrect, but you're going to derive something interesting from it, so let me. Then I'll share my screen with you and I'll explain to you what he says if you can't understand it, because it's not the easiest Hebrew. So this is from November thirtieth of twenty nineteen, so that the book came out in August of twenty nineteen. I sent it to him so he so just pay attention to what he says and then I'll summarize it for you. He was speaking about this rumbum, and he was arguing that the only correct yours is the one ella merch Maham that if you do the mitsmos Noah because of your own intellect, you're not Hasido Solim, but you're one of the ham. So listen carefully. Here it's no.
Speaker 4: And I hid with the Madras Banambia America Cobdo colmination will have Professor Peta Peta, won't Professor sefer Marbana Wi claim the milliers manage sham add to march that out tomorrow edge g Ella well cultivating Manila said out habits for it and Rasso hellud Amita Royals to shoe safer Lomar ramelskark Tibato many pot with a second person not read that omar which that los my home, mam.
Speaker 2: I okay, So while a couple of things first, before I get to the interesting point. He says, this doesn't make any sense. He says that how could you say that? If you do it because of your own intellect, you're not going to see them at Homan You're not maam. What argue he says, Behama, are you a behamor He says, of course it's a mistaken gear. So you have to use your If you look at it, it's clear it's pashoot don't and he explains so that that has to be. Now, what's interesting is that he said, if you paid attention, he said about me that I'm a monahl bait me drush Robinia America. I'm the head I direct j t S. How where did you get that from? Well, so I wrote to him, I said, I have nothing to do with JTS. Why would you say that? Because he knew him a professor. But he wrote back because I sent him years before my so liberman condress and he saw that. So he thought that I was must be running the seminary because I'm running all about shaw Lieberman and uh things like that. So uh but notice he says, he says that he's manal bating Josh Arbon in America. But he says, but who you're Rayshamayim. So at the time he thought that I was working for the Conservatives, but he says, I'm still Erasha Mayum. This gets us to the oldest beute about Lieberman, which when we finish these classes, I'm gonna do the shaw Lieberman two classes. Oh he's rshaue Liuberman. Some Godoban related to shaw Weber, like he was one of the delict rule others wanted like the ground Caller wanted nothing to do with him. So here you see revend Mazoos because at this time he thought that I was involved with the seminary. But he still has no problem quoting me and saying, then I'm Erasia Maime. But uh, that's interesting. Now what's this thing about Pataka? I'll show you this because this is cute. He have to know, I have to look it up and everything he says, he quotes the Pussa. You see this here in Peta. I think he just came to him. He knows all the forest came to us by Peta. He says, pet that's the door for the lowest row of chambers, so he said, he said, professor Tomina Peta. And then he call he calls me Petta or whatever I'm not saying I'm to he wants to say it. Okay, I'll take it. But uh. The funny thing is that this has now become a joke among friends of mine. So uh, a friend of mine just sent me. I don't want to show you his name because maybe he doesn't want to know it, but I'll show you the bottom maybe you can see it. Well. Whatever he rates to me, mat car peta, peta tough swiggly markst And I have other people who now send me uh emails they go to meta. So this has become a big joke that in our little world, they're especially among the remazous people. I'm known as patak Uh. So I guess that could be on my you can call me. There's worse things to be called. Uh. Incidentally, just so you don't think that he he doesn't he does. I'll show you where he mentions me by name, so you know I'm not under any sort of room or anything. Here is just uh, just a couple of months ago. I'll show you by the way they start the weekly share with this Arabic music, the the old Arabic music. So here just so preserve her posterity. You can hear my name mentioned. So you know I'm not making it up. Hold, how do you know?
Speaker 4: Because a little because America.
Speaker 2: Okay, so there you go, lely Mal Shapiro good enough. I actually maybe I says I shouldn't be, but I I feel very good to hear that, because you know, I think he's like the greatest god that we have in our time, so in terms of knowledge and breath, and we're gonna hear a lot more from him. So uh, I feel what's an unbelievable as a houss that they can point out something and and be mentioned and be corrected when when people thought it was a big honor when the love would tell you, or even Shan Lieberman when he tell you you don't know what you're talking about. So I feel this is a house. I don't have that many as a julios in that, but at least that I have, I think I have a bit of a cuss in it. Okay. The other thing is I want to return to Minosha clin. So the other thing is that Ramanasha Cline I sent them that there's a Okay, let me back up for a minute. There's there's passages in the Talmud, not passages throughout the Talmud where hasal cite a pussock just to prove something that you have to do it this way? So what is that pussk is that pussak? Are they deriving it from that pussuk? Is? Do we already have do we have a tradition? And this pussuk is just like a mnemonic or something to remind us. Does the pussa create the drushah? This is a big dispute. The rum bum says that we have a tradition, an oral tradition on all these things, or pretty much all these things or many of these things, and uh, the pusak is just like a mnemonic device. That is, they're not really deriving that you do X or y because the pusca, No, we know it from tradition.
Speaker 1: This is what you do.
Speaker 2: The pusic is just being cited as like, uh, to to help you memorize it as simon or something like that. But it does the haha doesn't derive from the pussa. This is a problematic position for many because if you look in the Gallari, it does certainly seem as if they're deriving it from the psuki. The Richt val In in his commentary on Russia Shana, he says that what what we would call it ismachta from a pussa? What it is that when a toura is given, it has the ability to be derived, that is, it's already in the torah. The in in potentia should say latent that this is the meaning. But hazal have the authority whether to darshan it uh or not. Shaloka must come in. But the saint just have the ability to derive it if they want. And then what is there for us say that this is borrow the ms and not like the not likes, not like those who explain us Vota shuk Derek Simon. And it's just like a mnemonic device or a sign. But it doesn't actually it's not really essential to the commandments. Sahoshi Kane who das minus because if you say that it's a position of heresy, well, the rum Bum says that so Ramanasha cind was speaking about it and talking about how the rich Va and most people assume that the rich Va was attacking the Rumbum and saying it's a heretical position. By the way, the Ritva doesn't think that the Rumm's a heretic. This is also important among these shown it's not uncommon for one to say about another that it's a heretical position. We spoke about the raw Bob. They say about the raw Bogs views, it's heretical views. The Ramban says about the Rumbum's views about certain one in particular, that certain biblical events happen in dreams, that you can't believe this. That doesn't mean that they think the rich One doesn't think the Rumbum's a heretic. Just because believe in heretical view doesn't make you a heretic. It's a good position, I think for our day. Also, you might find someone who has a position of you that he thinks heretical. Doesn't mean the person's a heretic. That's what the says. He says it's a dos meus, but he doesn't. Ramo thinks differently. He doesn't think that the Rum's heretic. The rama holds of you that he thinks is heretical. What I sent Rabbi Klein is that there's a there's a great goddo His name was Michel Enroff because he was miss People don't know that much about him. But he had he been a good he would have been they would have made him the god old Door when he was really an unbelievably towering figure in Michel he wrote responds called Kolmavaser. Of course he has ionistic type stuff in this chuva, but he has a counterest in which he discusses the certain matters and he deals with this rit va. And he says this rich Vuck couldn't have been referring to the Rambo the Rabam's position. He didn't know about it because it was an apparish emissioner and he didn't have the Hebrew translation. He says, it's impossible to imagine that he would have said it about the Rambam. There's other people who could have had this position, and as are others. REMI client and I agree it is for my client. By the way, in this he says he doesn't see that this is necessarily true. There is showing held of this concept bo Saguru, don't be afraid. That is they they say their minds and we know he says, how much the Rashkook criticized the Rhambab in air force. There's no reason to assume. He doesn't mention the Resa, doesn't mention the rama my name and of cold you could say he says that, and the person who says this, it's a doas minos. But he doesn't accept this idea. And by the way, if you look in the addition of the safe as the karna, the ritva Ormi Kama khana as I recall, he also says this isn't correct. No reason to assume this. So that's the tuva of Ramanasha Khan. The next one we have five minutes. We'll see if we get through it or not. It's taking us. It's a long one. We're going it's we're not going to go through all of it. It's twelve pages. It's from Anam. He's someone we mentioned already, not a well known rabbi was the rabbi in Arakiva in Israel. It's not really a significant place, but he wrote interesting books and he's one of the people I corresponded with So why does I think there's three or four letters from him? Because after he responded the first time, I wrote him another again and again, and this dis appears in one of his two vote volume seven Zahamanacha. I also, I feel it's a great subcost and a great honor. Here's someone he doesn't know me other than through correspondence, and yet he writes a twelve page letter to me, thirteen pages actually thirteen pages, which must have taken him a number of days. How often do we write letters to people we don't know, putting such effort into it. I understand it's limatra, but he could do a limaitar other way. It's a As I say in the preface, I'm very thankful to all of them who who took the time and effort to write to someone who they didn't know from Adam. So what were my questions?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Well, the time I'll introduce you to the questions. We'll get to the answers next week. The question was simple enough, the rumbum, says his fobbos. I'm sure the rumbum in the laws of rote the laws of murder. Eric Dawa test says his follows, although there are other sins that are more serious than murder. They do not present as serious a danger to society as murder does. Even idle worship and needless to say, incest or violation of the Sabbath. See this is the kbad translation, and they translate Arios's incests. That's that's not the correct translation. Incest is included in it, but so is adultery of the woman. U is a man with a married woman. That's also included here. Generally this is a good translation, by the way, but this is incorrect incests because you see this, you say incests, and then you say gili Arios, it's you know, it's not included. So he said even idle worship and neither and Minos is saying that's say, sexual morality or the violation of Sabbath are not considered as severe as murder. For these sins involve man's relationship with God. Well, murder also involves man's relationship with his fellow man. So he's telling how bad murder is. Murder is worse than ghigli Arios, and it's worse than and shab this is, and it's worse than a votas are. But then if that's the case, What does he mean when he says, although there are other sins that are more serious than murder? He says, awful preciation of voters. Murimi, you just told me that murder is worse than a vodas ara and sristami. But you said in the previous order, if that there are sins that are worse than uh, they are worse than murder. We'll show you to let me read it to you. What exactly says there are sins more serious than murder. They don't present as serious a dangerous society as murder does. So what what is it? Then? What's what's what's what's more? What's worse than murder? That was the question the other blood questions. Since we just have two minutes, say the other questions. The other questions are quick. We'll get into them as well. One's easy, erasing God's name and like a computer. This is at the beginning of the computer era. You know, you write God's name on your on your computer. Can you erase them? That's gonna be a simple one. The next one is not so simple. We'll get back to it next week. Let's say psychologically, someone I asked, I gave it theoretical, but you can give any example. You need to smoke. The man says that if I don't smoke on I'm gonna go out of my mind. I'm gonna jump off the building. I'm gonna kill myself. I need to smoke. It could be any other example of mahal shabis or is that permitted because of someone's psychological difficulty? Remember what we saw with the Lake of Versus Shiva. He was dealing with people who were addicted. I played it for you the video where he says, it doesn't matter if it shabas, doesn't matter if you'm a kipper, if you need to call your sponsor, call your sponsor, you're allowed to be Mihal sharpis well who says just because someone has a psychological issue, Let's say I have a psychological issue, I feel I need to eat tarfuss Uh. There's a case in the Gomara that says a man he needed to uh talk to this woman or he would die. And they say no, no, we're not gonna let the binosi Cheryl Hesker. So we'll get into this answer. How how much of a psychological danger to someone's self, even maybe danger to life, does that allow you then to violate shabas. If someone says that, you know, I just can't take it anymore. I'm going crazy, you know, I've been all these months. I need to turn on the television. Tonight's Friday Night. I mean, when are you allowed? If at all? And as I said, but the main part of this response is going to be what does the rambo mean when he says that certain of ViOS are worse than murder? If it's not the three big ones, what could be worse than murder? And so we'll get back to that next class, and I think also next class, Yeah, we will finish this one. We're going to deal with the Kleousenberger Rebbe introduce you to a new figure, a very significant and very interesting figure who especially when I went to ERICI Straul, But I also a terrible situation he had in the war. I'll tell you about his biography and maybe that really can explain some of the difficult things he says. And then more good stuff. But we're up to page two sixty four now and the book is three hundred and seventy one pages, so we still have time. Okay, I'm gonna thank you all. Let me take the questions here the chat no mass Susanna says, no mass no in Israel. What they do with the Yeshimas now is that everyone came in and they were in pods and they they all got corona. They didn't work my son as corona. The people you see there most of them have corona, but had had, but they keep them separate. There's two groups, and the groups that are together, they're allowed to be together, and they're under locked out. So it's very unlikely that the few people who don't have it will get it because the people because they're with people who have it, and no one's going out. But if you notice there one of the rushi yeshiva, the one playing the guitar. The rushi plays a guitar, but he's he's in the box. And all the were bane who come in, they're in these enclosed boxes that are closed on top. Also when they first began the year, they were not enclosed on top. But everything's unclosed, so but not the students. It's the best thing this year, the students who are in Israel this year and all the yeshivas they're able to have the only thing they can't do is go to people's houses for shavis, which is an important part of the year. But at least they can have a normal Yeshiva experience. So David says, the Russahiva Benny Freeman is a Toma revokes steam. Yes he is, although he's not he's more into the racidics side. I don't know where he got that from, because he didn't get it from a less steam. He's very much into the heart they have other Russia. Yes see Blah was also Russashiva there and I'm not not saying that Benny Freeman doesn't have the head also, but he leads the cums. It's every Thursday night and really he's he's very good in terms of touching students. Yes, rebec Kelma says music and Dovining was reformed, and indeed it was reform. Yes, Karlbach did it, and they do it for Sri Ros. But in the middle of job Shakris Dovning, it's it's a Karba thing exactly, Howard says correctly enough, telling music exists in the base of eglash a sure is something with carbonos that becomes the big issue when the reformers start. So what's wrong with music and how are you saying, why can't we have music and on shopists? Why can we have a job as a non jew blazon. But that's the base of dash, that's not in shoals. There's no unluckily problem. But the question is are you imitating the non Jews and you do it today? I don't think anyone is because the reform don't use organs today anyway, do they? So no one's going to raise in the shoe I think now, Tai says the THEGUNI for the put team mini game, I row or the issue that hasn't changing dingo for bacca or okay, not sure what you meant by that. Yes, yes, bah, this is exactly thet it's Fardak. I know it's Farta. So if it's Farta, then we know where it comes from. Either comes from the Ottoman Empire or it comes from ritiro Er. So I was part of the empire. I wasn't sure if it was Fardak or not. Tender wine is from the front part of the cow. Susana says, okay, but in the video and the picture I showed you, it showed it from the back part of the cow. You saw the picture I showed you. Uh do I still have it here? No, I closed it here. It is, Susannah. I don't know any about cows, but there you have in the back. There's the tenderloine. There's the sirloin. And I believe that real tenderloin we can eat in America. You can't get it anywhere they have. It's like fake tender win That's what I'm told. I don't like steak and then meat. I go to the steakhouses, I get chickens. So I uh i am, says our ruffles at the cotow and a hustle's phone began ringing the tune of jingle bells. It was clear he had no idea what it was. Yes, that is strange. Yes, the siatic nerds. Okay, you have to remove to get enough. So yeah, yeah, okay, you're asking Before I got to it, Susanna says, it's too expensive to remove it. It is very expensive. You saw what the prices are of that meat. But Zev says, don't try ports and official scrabble tournament or club. It will get challenged off. Why will it get challenged off. It's in the dictionary, It's in the major dictionaries. I looked online and all the big dictionaries it's there that should make it a good a good word. It's acceptable in Collins, which is used all over the world, but it's not acceptable in North American travel. Okay, you're a scrabble person, but the word comes from England champion. Oh, okay, but not. My question is it should be though it's an English word, it's a word. It should yeah, Okay, the anti Semite's over at the scrabble people.
Speaker 3: What can you do that?
Speaker 2: David says apropost secular songs and the call of a Ready, A group of snarky American Shea students attended a district calif in man A Brock and Tuck to Reddy in his Casidom New Niggod, which is actually the musical interlude in My Angel is a centerfold no no no, no, no no, and the Ready is reported as saying, this is a stark of Niggod. In the mid nineteen eighties, you know what, any everything has Holway sparks. So if they want to raise that up, they can raise that up. Also, I told you already months ago that the Kabba in the eighties, the habbad house in Rutgers was singing the old you can see it on YouTube. Bum bum bumbobye bumbobe tuna. They were Daidad and the Kabbad people, of course had no idea what that was, but that was the Nigga. Barrak points out in pretty big disinsionet case, letter writing was a common pastime. You're correct, and I sort of imagined myself. And as I said, from the very first class, I you remember as this republic of letters, and as a historian, if you've seen my Winberg book, you know that it couldn't have been written in the way it was certainly not the last chapter without all the letters. And I've I've published many letters. As much as my research is done with letters. I wonder what are future historians going to do? Because who writes letters? So fine, the president and other important people they give their hard drive to some library, but most of us write emails, and afterword on it's just it disappears. How will we be able to write history? How will be able to know what the people were thinking? So I don't know, it's it's going to be a problem. The letters is what enables us to write so many important things about history and all the world history, American history, the study biography. They all depend on private letters. And as I said, we were part of We had this republic of letters in the Jewish world as well. Im not no no no uh, the the gears of the Rambam. If you open up your mission tar it says the lorchmehem, but the other Geirsa it says el michmehem. So it's a question h David Eisen's which is the correct here David says to Eli Wesel, have any issues in rushalkinds Antisigonis. Elie Weisel was together with Manusha Colin and buch and volved and later of Manusha Kline was Ou Schwitzer. Also with Elie Weisel. After the war, they took very different lessons. The issue isn't so much with the anti Zionists and Nasha Clin's on an anti Zionists. He took his lands for kariyas Umvar kiryat Uvar from the Zionists. He's not he's like a non Zionist. He's really not anti Zionist in the sense you think of stmore. But what was the lesson that Elie Weisel took from the Holocaust. It's that we have with all this hate, we have to create love. And Elie Wisel's entire life was about love. And yet if in kiryat Umvar the base Madrish is named after Elie Rissel's murdered family, I think in particular as father. And Eli Usel was a big financial backer of Nashaklin. And I only met Elie Usel once, and I didn't have the heart to mention this to him, But one day, if I knew him, I wanted to say, do you know what your money that you're such a humanist and believer and spreading of love, that your friend of Nasha Kline, that some of the things he's teaching is in direct opposition. He's not teaching the love of all people. He's teaching like a contempt of non Jews. That was very much opposed to Deli Whizzel. So I never asked Luizel that excitedly man once. It's very striking that Ramanasha client took a very different lesson from the war. The lesson was that you can't trust the non Jews. Even if a nan Jew is being nice to you, really just give him a chance and I'll slit your throat, and that we have to kick to ourselfs and we want nothing to do with the non Jews. Eli Wesel's listen, which is the exact opposite. That we have to learn from hatred and we have to try to stop it wherever we are, wherever it is. And Barrow points that Rabbi Client was not something more he was connected to Kousenberg. Yeah, Ellen says natural versus tower maybe killing, stealing, But rao seems to be a weak point regardless. Well, when you speak about arayos, we're speaking about incests, we're speaking on adulteros, homosexuality. Those are regarded traditionally as being a natural war. Today we review. I think that the move is to say it's not natural law that for example, homosexuality is us sir, but only because of the two commands it. But we can imagine, you know, people having the people of it, that's their inclination, so it's not natural law. I think that would make sense today people would have a different perspective, many people would at least, But classically a rios were included in. I mean, the incest is one of the chev missos, whether you know about it or not it's one of the chev miss I mean. Rabbi Klain doesn't say that you you don't know about you. He says that only if you do the things because of God, that you have a share in the world to come. But you still are sinning even if you've never heard about the Torah, because they're natural. The Rabbi Helma says, Tura says if you own money, and the moral explains to Tura rights if that we should get stuck up because we want to, not because we have to up of Weinberg writes about this as well. He says there's no brak on and he develops the notion that because it's supposed to come internally, we're not supposed to we're supposed to want to do it.
Speaker 1: Not.
Speaker 2: Uh, it's not a command. Uh maybe no, No, I I my my connection to y C T from years ago. But no, it's not. It's not y CT You believe me. And yeah, because I asked him, he thought that it was j T S. Why Minihle, I don't know. Is a Jesuit university better than j T S. Yes, the Jesuit University is more than j T S. Because of Jesuit University. I'm a jewan of Jesu University. What do I have to do with that. It's a non Jewish institution. But when you're with the seminary, you're involved. You could say, with the uh An institution that's in opposition to total law. Oh so Borough said, he meant JTS not y c T No, No, not Rabbi Greenberg. But it's it's Rabbi Musu's is as I said Professor tomacuffm So, I'm a professor Tomahluffam not I would say, but uh not according to obviously the level of the people were dealing with here, Howard says. Was Ravaren Cutler a brother in law tosh Lieberman married to sisters daughters Risida Meltzer. No, no, Ravarn Cutler has no relationship Toshan Lieberman. Rashaal Lieberman was the first cousin of the hash Their mothers were sisters. Ravaren Cutler was a son in law of versus An Meltzer, but he was not Rasha Lieberman. Nothing to do with Versallal Meltzer. Risital Meltzer had other Tommy were sons in law. Uh and Rafshach is also not a Rashach is a nephew.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Barry says to Weber was married to the daughter of Mayor Berlin, the granddaughter of them. It said, Yes, many people will point it out. Uh, yes, they're overlated to nottt Loewin asked, my wife asked Nashal Wanner, Why have Nashaklin signed his name is Manasha Cutton, because not Klein in German Yiddish is Cutton. Somember saying, signing Minasha Colin is like Nasha Cutton, just like so fair is Schreiber, Mosha Schreiber and Mosa so far are the same thing. So far the writer Schreiber, I see mail already pointed it out to Alvin, thank you. But it's it's also a sign of humility. As David says, they people often want to write, you know so and so Cutton, But with manashal Coin, it's not just sign of humility, it's actually his name. A couple more, David Eisen says from Michelm Rothwanda the religious sign is was also very post served movement, and accordingly refused to accept her Cook Prize when it was awarded together with soul Lieberman. That is correct, and you can read all about that and Sol and the Orthodox. But I also say that this Michelle and Roth from show even personally, if he knew him personally, he might have had a different approach to that. And I give an example because if you look in the coom of Us there there's a letter from Michele Roth to Adolf Schwartz. Adolf Schwartz who wrote this book on the Zarah Shova, he taught it. They Werebinical semon in Vienna. The Rabinical Semon in Vienna was not a north West institution. It was a conservative instance what we call conservative. And uh Michell m Ross had no problems sending a true with this man and being friends with him. So I don't know that Loewan says any precedent for other respect of her bone name converting their family name in this matter. He didn't really convert the family name. It's just in his writing he calls himself Nasha Cutton. If you look on the when you says, if he turned the book over the first the title page, it has his real name. His name is Kin, but in Hebrew coin is just the translation of a Cutton. So he'd write with it. Do any others right? Well, most people well, Steinsaltz doesn't. Steinsaltz didn't he turned his team in Israel. I have a lot of the people who turned the name into Hebrew. What a Steinsaltz call himself. He started using a U, a Hebrew term for his name strel So yes, we have examples of that as well. David, I'm machaveing to David. David knows a lot, and so we were machaveing together. Thank you. Most of the show's over. Rabbi Mel mentions. Rabbi raft I mentioned him the end of last class. I recommended everyone, I said, go to YouTube. I meant, while you Torah, you can get on the Wikipedia page. You can see get the link to his shar him on hespe for Joe DiMaggio. And it is true what Mel says. Robertaka has covid. As far as I know, at the moment, everything is okay. So uh I, we pray that that will be the case. Three more things here, someone privately emails and then they're real. It attributes to the death of his daughter to his once changing the cantillation of a portion he read in a particular city. Okay, okay, that's not really relevant. That's a private thing. Sorry for idiot. Yeah, Ellen says adultery is a weak spot for people of all stripes, regardless of other tot observants. Granted, but that's not the issue. The issue is can you figure out on your own that adultery is incorrect and wrong? And we see that societies all over the world recognize that it's wrong. So I know you might point up societies. I didn't think it's wrong, but it was always understood that that was regarded as a as something basic. If non Jews are commanded in it, the standard position is that it's natural law. It's that something you should be able to conclude on your own, because otherwise, what sense does it make to command people who don't have the tower? Ah? Yes, how I thank you? Now tell you all. Katan the the the editor of the the journal Hamaiyan, whose father was a from France who did the Dictionary of French into old Laws Old French. In Rashi, the name is Klaing, but his name is now and not just his name. The entire family in Israel took the name Katan. But but the Hakatan is he's combining the name with the with the modest I don't think if his name was Kling, he wasn't calling. He would have say Akatan Bar says Baba Scherebbi instructed Steinsels to do that. But it should be uh mela reven. Okay, yeah, so it's sort of it's not really a translation. Okay, everyone, well, thank you. Howard ends by saying, usually the Hebrew is not descriptive for the last name. We have other examples. I'll just give you and it will end Friedman, the name Friedman, so you have big scholars and mayor Friedman. He published various mid rassim in Hebrew. This is for you nat in Hebrew. He didn't write the name mayor Friedman. He wrote the name is Friedman. Ischello. And there's other examples where I can't think of any offhand where these academic scholars ceaseful Wroth in one of his essays, they wrote in Hebrew. He wrote very little in Hebrew. But he signs it meanha domin it like Asia de Rossi as I mean he calls Roth from red. He signs it meanha domein. So you have a number. I'll think of it when we finish. Now, I'll think of all the others. But it's a common thing that you'll find among the Fishenschef type scholars when they write in Hebrew hebreaicize their names.
Speaker 1: This series was originally recorded in twenty twenty and twenty twenty one as part of an Go In lecture series. To sign up to attend the lecture on zoom, please visit tournmotion dot org. Please rate and review us in your favorite podcast app, or even better, tell a friend to give a podcast to listen