Speaker 1: The right quist.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Playoff Baseball is back, and with it an annual postseason tradition.
Speaker 1: Scam is back. Baby.
Speaker 2: This is Sax and Cakes.
Speaker 3: In the a app BA Go with Proway.
Speaker 2: Dodger legend Steve Sacks is joined by your favorite Dodger pregame host, Tim Kaits. If you want to talk Dodgers, get in on the show on eighty six six nine, eighty seven two five seven now while the Dan Patrick Show streams on the Ihearts radio app. We've been banished to the Internet until this Dodgers playoff run concludes. Here they are broadcasting live on AM five to seven LA Sports. It's Tim Kates and Steve Sachs.
Speaker 1: It's our three of Saxon Kate's and the AM here on your home of showy Otani and the Dodgers A five seventy LA Sports. After dominating Game one, Dodgers come back yesterday in a bullpen game. They give it up early. They lose to the Mets seven to three. As we are now tied at a game of pieace and this best of seven NLCS a day off today, both teams will work out at City Field later on this afternoon. Early evening Game three tomorrow from New York. First pitch at five oh eight Pacific, Walker Bueller and Luis Severino the pitching matchup, and the Dodgers, now in New York for Games three, four, and five, need to get a win in order to get it back to LA for a chance in Game six, possibly Game seven. But this series is all nottted up now at a game of piece thanks to Mike Marshall joining us last hour, one of saxy'est teammates from the nineteen eighty eight World Series championship team. We'll get back to your phone calls in just a couple of minutes, but now to bring us now up, joining us now from MLB Series XM Radio. You hear him on there as one of the hosts, three times World Series champion, nearly two decades as a pitcher in the major leagues. He won those World Series with the New York Yankees. He has Mike stant and he joins us now here on a five to seventy LA Sports Mike, Good morning, how you doing?
Speaker 4: Oh man, I'm doing well. It's a beautiful day down here in the Greater Houston area and we got playoff baseball, so everything's good man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely got Game three coming up tomorrow night. From a wide perspective, looking at this NLCS the first two games, contrasting games, the Dodgers dominated with Jack Flaherty and the offense in Game one yesterday. In Game two, a bullpen game that well didn't go to script for Dave Roberts and Mark Pryor the pitching coach, and they fell behind early, couldn't get the big hits late, and here we are tied up at a game of piece. Your thoughts is so far and what you've seen in these first two games, you know, it's.
Speaker 4: Kind of what I expected. I mean, you know, if you look on paper, the Dodgers definitely have a better lineup, the rotation. You have to give the edge to the Mets, but I think he just overall, you would say that the Dodgers are probably a better team, except that the Mets just seem to have that hit factor this year. They have something going on. They're playing with extreme confidence, uh, and they're they're getting big hits when they need it, you know. Getting over the Game one loss, I was on an MLB network radio. We were talking about this nine nothing, that's no big deal. It's game one, Okay, you got plenty of series left. It wasn't like, you know, you were really in the ball game after about the fourth or fifth inning anyway, So you know, you go get get a good dinner, go to bed, get get up the next day and take it to them. And you know, the problem that the Dodgers are going to have is going to be that rotation. You know, even with even with Bueller going tonight, do you know exactly what you're gonna get? I don't think so. How long is he going to go? Not sure? You know, those are going to be questions and that have to be answered. I also think this is going to be a long series. I think this game, this series goes at least six And with the way the Dodgers have always used their bullpen in the postseason, that's going to be a problem when you get later in the series, because any it doesn't matter how good your bullpen is, anybody, any reliever, can suffer from overexposure. You know, hitters just see you more and more, they got a better chance of hitting you. And then also fatigue because of how often they're going to have to pitch in this series.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Mike, great, to be with you today, and yeah, I'm doing good, buddy. And I got a chance to be on with Joyce and Memelo the other day, so I was in hog heaven being on with those two guys. Anyway, I think you're right on about the Bueller thing. We need Bueller. The Dodgers need Bueller to go along and kind of reset this whole thing and kind of give a little shock treatment so that that bullpen isn't taxed so much. But I wanted to ask you a little bit about coming from the sever Reino perspective, this is a guy that's on nine days rest, and I know partially that was on design, because this guy was stretched this year. He's pitched over for one hundred innings more than than he ever has before, and he was a little taxed down towards the end of the season. He had an over five e R in his last five starts. Coming from that perspective, what does Severarino have to do to attack this very very potent lineup that can be very dangerous as far as the left handed hitters go as well.
Speaker 4: I mean, if if we want to make it overly simplistic, Steve, and I know that's how you like the world. Uh, it's he's got it. We just wish it was all that way, right. Uh, he's gonna have to spend time in the zone early in the account. You know, I think one of the things that we have seen from this Dodger team all year offensively is you know, they're they're not a free swinging team. This is a team that that's gonna make you throw strikes and they're just not going to expand the zone. And so that that just puts that much more pressure on any opposing pritch pitcher to get ahead in the account. I mean, you get ahead in the account. Now, that puts the hitter on his heels a little bit. Now he has to at least go to the corners instead of just waiting for cookies down the middle. So uh and and you know, the time off for Severino probably did him, did him. Uh, it was good for him. His last time out, he threw the ball exceptionally well. But again, you're talking about going against a Philadelphia Phillies team that was a free swinging team. So what are you gonna expect, I you know, I don't know, I don't know. You're you're gonna have to if he can if he can get through control the emotions. And this goes for Bueller also get through that first couple innings and kind of get into the flow of the game and get your legs back under you and not have to have too many pressure pitches early in the game. Uh, it could end up being a pitcher stool who you know, We really don't know, but you know, I thought Sean and I especially early in the game while the Mets were scoring, we're scoring, he did a nice job of holding that offense down. But it you know, that's what I said. This is a this is one of this could go either way. I mean, this is fifth. I mean, I know it's one and one, But if you had to, if I had to pick who's gonna win this series, I don't know if I really could, because you know, the Mets just seem to have that it factor this year that you know, the way they've won some of these series, you know, getting out of the getting out of the regular season. I mean it's been it's been. Uh it's pretty been pretty incredible what's been going on for the Mets this year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And that it factor, Mike, is a scary thing because you it's like a ghost you really it could be something a little bit different today, a little bit different tomorrow. I don't know what it is, but it's called the it and they got it.
Speaker 4: It is, and you know, confidence is extremely high. I thought that what they had to do, they did exactly what they needed to do yesterday, which is get off, to get off to a quick start, put the first runs on the board, and it starts with you know, who's probably going to be second n MVP in the National League this year with Lindor with the leadoff home run. And I think that just kind of you could almost see on the bench everybody just take a big exhale, and all of a sudden, they started letting the ball fly, They started letting the bats fly and score five runs in the fifth or in the second, and then from there. Now you just got a.
Speaker 1: Hold on Mike Stanton joining us here on a five to seventy LA Sports. You can hear Mike on Series XM's MLB Network Radio. Three time World Series champ with the New York Yankees. You're the perfect person to come on today and talk about what happened yesterday and what was a bullpen game for the Dodgers, Ryan Brazier gives up an early home run of the first batter Francisco Lindor Landon Nack didn't have it. They don't use any of their high leverage relievers. Felt like Dave Roberts could have gone off script. It was certainly a different script, and they had in Game four against the Padres in the NLDS where everything lined up perfectly a relievers nine shoutout eddings against San Diego didn't go the way they wanted yesterday. As a relief pitcher, Mike, the pressures are going in and being perfect and then linking that chain in a bullpen game. It's so hard to do. Will the Dodgers just kind of walking that tight that tight rope anyways, Having to do it a second time here in the postseason.
Speaker 4: Well, I think that's why I said earlier that you have to give at least the nod to the Mets as far as rotation is concerned, because at least they have a starting pitcher to go every day. You know where the and and you know the Dodgers are probably if this goes if this series goes deep, they're probably gonna have to do this again. The thing is bullpenning works. We know it does. We've seen every team across Major League Baseball at some point in the season to have to run just your whole bullpen out there. Steve, you're the offense, You're you're the hitter. You know that is facing a different pitcher every at that, especially the way bullpens are orchestrated now, because that's where your best stuff is. It's not in rotations, it's in bullpens. It's just hard to score runs. It's hard to string string hits together, and really, what do you have to do. You know, it's a walk, a bloop, and a blast. That's how you score runs. You're just not going to score You're just not going to have five or six hits strung together. The problem is that was worst case scenario for the Dodgers because you you give it up early and now you still have all those innings you still you have to cover with your bullpen. Now, the good thing about the postseason is you know every few days you're going to have an off day and that that absolutely helps bullpens. But you know, bullpen works well until it doesn't. And that's what happened yesterday for the Dodgers. But luckily they weren't. They didn't have to completely empty the bullpen to get through the nine innings, and they were able to you know, they were able to save some of their their leverage guys, so you know, it wasn't a complete and total disaster. They were in the ballgame by the end of the game. But yeah, I mean, the Dodgers bullpen is going to have to work a lot in this series.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Mike. And that brings me to Walker Buller. Wanted to get your take his last outing of the regular season really good. I believe he went six innings. Then he had the scuff up in the in the first game in the postseason where he gave up those runs, But after those runs, he shut him down pretty good. I like the the the body language I see from Walker Bueller. He looks very healthy, he looks energetic, he looks like he's really got something to prove. I wanted to get your take on Walker Bueller and could it just be the time is right now for him to come in and get a shutdown that this bullpen desperately needs as well.
Speaker 4: Oh, it could be. And we know that Walker, We've seen him in previous postseasons. He's a guy that can rise to the occasion. Still has tremendous stuff, and you know he pitches with even if you don't see it all the time, he pitches with a lot of emotion. He's out there. He's a bulldog, a bulldog type pitcher. So, uh yeah, he could. I mean, that's that's what that's the other side of not knowing what you're gonna get. I mean, could you could he go out there and just shove? Of course he could. I mean, he's got the stuff to do it, He's got the mentality and if you know, if he's feeling healthy, yeah, this could be a good thing. So you know, we'll just have to wait and see what happens tomorrow night. But you know, you would love to have him rolling going into the postseason. Now, the other side of this is if he is a completely healthy you know, he doesn't have the wear and tear that like a Severino does. Severino had to take a break because he's thrown, you know, more than he has in the last several years. So uh, you know, that's one of those things that you just really don't know. You know, you kind of play the odds and you go with it. But is there a chance that Bueler can go out there and and and you know, throw six or seven shut out? Of course there is.
Speaker 1: He is Mike Stanton. Check him on on Serious xm MLB Radio. Mike, we appreciate you jumping on this morning giving your perspective on what's happening in this NLCS through two games. We really appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Mike, anytime, gentlemen, it was fun, all right?
Speaker 1: There he goes Mike Stanton, three time World Series champion with the New York Yankees, nearly two decades, pitching out of the bullpen for my seven different teams in the major leafe.
Speaker 5: He if anybody knows Mike Stanton knows. He's so great on the air. I really like listening to him. He's one of the guys Like I'm going into the store and I'm listening to MLB Network Radio, and even though I'm not gonna work there anymore, I still got some good information there. And Stanton's on. I'm I'm gonna stay in my truck and listen to him finish, and then I'm gonna go shop because he's got the great information. The guy. I mean, that's why I love guys that played because they can give you those those nuggets. Man, he's got a lot of good nuggets to give us.
Speaker 1: Absolutely appreciate him. Jumping on eight six six, nine eighty seven two five seventy. Dodgers and Mets now tied at a game of piece after losing Game two yesterday. The Dodgers need to bounce back tomorrow in Game three. Walker Rueler, he will get the ball, probably his biggest start of the season, no doubt. The Dodgers need him to go out and give him some length. Help out this Dodgers' bullpen, which is gonna have to pitch over the course of three games in three days. And again that's something that a lot of these Dodger high leverage relievers. These are older arms sacks. See this is an Evan Phillips. These are Daniel Hudson's. These are Blake Trinon's, These are Michael Kopek. These are guys who've got a lot of innings this year, but have got a lot of stats on the back of their baseball cards to show for. And you got three games in three days. They haven't done it. None of these guys have pitched three days in a row this season. This is gonna be huge for starting pitching to help them out to get out and alleviate some of this pressure for the bullpen.
Speaker 5: That's why I asked him about Bueller and his assessment of Walker, and he was right on. I mean when he said, could Walker go out there and you know, pitch six or seventies and shut him down completely? Absolutely, As a matter of fact, I would not be surprised at all if Walker did that tomorrow night. Not I wouldn't. He's president eight.
Speaker 1: Six, six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy. We'll take a time out, we'll come back, We'll get to your roof, phone calls the rest of the way, and a lot of you Dodger fans still upset about what happened yesterday, the Dodgers letting Game two get away from an early, the Dodgers unable to come back offensively with the big hit late. They were right there though, with the chance in the sixth, in the seventh, in the eighth, they showed some fight late just wasn't enough, and now they're tied at a game apiece. Game three of the NLCS is coming up tomorrow night. Were of course You're a home of the Dodgers and five seventy LA Sports Saxic Kates and then makes the mic stand from series XMMLB Radio for joining us three time world soon He's champ, former Big League reliever joined us here on Saxon, Kates and the Am and the Dodgers and Mattis are all tied up at a game in peace in this NLCS Game one of the ALCS last night in New York, the Yankees and the Cleveland Guardians. I don't know if you had a chance to check out any of that Game one between the Yankees and Guardians. Jane Carlos Stanton no relation to Mike stand by the way, unbelievable. I mean where he kind of came. It was Aaron Judge all regular season, like the Judge Show, you know, all rise and now it's gen Carlo Stanton in the postseason has absolutely taken over.
Speaker 5: Oh this You want to talk about hitting a missile?
Speaker 1: Oh my lord?
Speaker 5: Even when he misses it, it goes hard. I mean, I think the most awesome home run I've seen John Carlo hit, I've seen him hit several of them, but the one particular type I'm talking about is not the not the unbelievable three hundred feet high, four hundred and sixty foot launch pad that he hits to left center field. And I'm not even talking about one of those. I'm talking about the three hundred and forty foot six foot high missile right down the right field line that gets out of there before the TV camera can can to switch to it. It's out of there like in a second and a half and it never gets higher than the fence. I mean maybe eight feet high, but that thing is gone in a flash. I mean, this guy's got ridiculous power.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Yankees got home runs from Soto last night in the third. They get a home run from Stanton the seventh. They also got helped out Alex Cobb, the former Giant now Guardian starter, through two wild pitches in the third inning to score two runs for the Yankees. So you're not necessarily helping yourselves out there. But Guardians did come back with a run in the sixth and then run the eighth and make it a five to two game. The Yankees win Game one of the ALCS, so keeping an eye on that series. The Guardians a ninety two win team, a really good squad that nobody talks about there with Steven Voit, there's their head coat or their their manager, excuse me, in his first year taking over and done a really good job there with the Cleveland Guardians, the Yankees. So a one to zero series lead in this ALCS, Dodgers and Mets. There tied at a game at peace, go back out to the phones. A lot of Dodger fans not happy about way Game two played out for the Dodgers in a bullpen game and the Dodgers offense not coming through late. Keek Hernandez a couple of opportunities to provide a big hit in the sixth and the eighth inning, but popped out and hit into a double play as the Dodgers lose seven to three. Let's go to Andy and San Dimaz. Thanks for waiting patiently, Andy, welcome to SAX and Kate to the am. How you doing, Hey good?
Speaker 6: Thanks for taking my call?
Speaker 1: Yeah go ahead, Andy.
Speaker 6: Okay, So I've actually got a story for you real quick about a current Dodger, but back when he was playing Triple A. So I am from Buffalo, New York. Originally I moved to LA in two thousand and nine. Great time to adopt the Dodgers as my MLB team, diehard fan ever since. But every summer I go back home to Buffalo and I watch a series of Triple A Bisen's Baseball. About three years ago, I want to say, I was with my daughters. I've got a thirteen and eleven year old. We watched a game. The game was over. After the game, players stick around sign stuff for the kids. There was one player that stayed until the final two kids got something signed. Those two kids were my daughters and there were two balls that player signed them, talked to them, shook their hand, was incredibly kind to them. Fast forward to this past summer. I'm in Niagara Falls and my summer trip with my dad. We're eating, we're watching We're watching All Star Game home Run Derby highlights. My dad looks over to me and he's like, when did Taskar Hernandez become a Dodger? And I was like, oh, this offseason and he was like, Oh, that's who the girls have a signed ball from. The dude as a Buffalo Bison at that time, was just sticking around, hanging with the kids, making sure everyone was happy. We have to resign this guy. I just wanted to share some love, some good story stories after that awful defeat. Thanks for taking my call. We're going to take it though, Go Dodgers.
Speaker 1: All right, Andy, appreciate the phone call. Yeah. Love hearing those stories because baseball players, for the most part great guys. They love the fans and love hearing those stories about them taking care of the fans, even in triple A Buffalo, that great, beautiful thing. You were a man of the people, sexy still are.
Speaker 5: Well try to be.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: Look, there's times where I've signed an autograph for a kid and it turns out, you know, now when they're grown up and they're thirty five years old and they have a family, and hey, I remember you signed that ball for me, and you you know, yeah, you were nice to me, And that thing really does make a difference. And I'd love to hear these stories like tay Oscar had just shown right there and it was kind enough to sign for his little girls. I mean, that is a great thing. That's what makes baseball great right there, So thank you for doing that.
Speaker 1: It's what differentiates baseball for I think, from football and basketball at the pro level. To me, NBA players are just so far away from fans as far as the connection with them. They're on a different planet. Football players. They're faceless players you see out there in uniforms in battle every Sunday or Monday, and there's no real connection. There's no back and forth to the fans. Baseball it's all about the fans, whether it's because there's one hundred and sixty two games or because of minor league baseball and getting to know players when they're eighteen, nineteen, twenty years old and then see them rise to the major leagues and see them become superstars. That connection is just different. It's different than any other sport out there.
Speaker 5: Yes it is. And the fact that baseball is such a connection with numbers, and we're a numbers society today and numbers really connect players to certain things, like everybody knows what seven to fourteen means, right, Yeah, we all know that baby Ruth hit that many home runs, et cetera. And so that goes along with the players as well, having that connection with numbers and in the fans, and it's just it all works out in a really nice fashion. So it's great.
Speaker 1: Let's go to Robin and the OC down in Orange County, Robin, good morning, you're Sax and Kates and am how you doing.
Speaker 2: Good?
Speaker 6: Martin?
Speaker 7: I'm good you guys, thanks for taking my call. I just had a comment regarding the pitching that we're blessed with. And you know, the orthopedic surgeon, you have a video of him giving an interview about how many pitchers actually come back, you know, when they have a second you know, shoulder surgery, and he said that the statistic is less than twenty percent. So I'm not surprised by any of them that are repeat surgery candidates and then they try to come back and they they fail, you know. And he said, I don't think he's I mean, he's never seen one come back.
Speaker 1: We've seen Daniel Hudson is an example of a guy who's come back from to Tommy John Surgery's Robin appreciate the phone call, the check it in this morning.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Tim, when Robin said that was very she was right onto something. But it's shoulder surgery. Shoulder surgery is very hard to come back from. Elbow surgery is a different story. Lots of guys come back from elbow surgery, but not shoulder surgery. That's a different animal. It's a lot more complex than an elbow. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean Earl Herscheiser will talk about the difficulties of coming back from a shoulder injury and what he had to deal with late in his career coming back from that. I mean, I look at Gavin Stone of the Dodgers, what a great season he had from a minor league pitcher of the year for the Dodgers just a couple of years ago. Got a bright future ahead of him, and hopefully he can come back from his surgery he just had over the weekend. It wasn't Tommy John surgery. It was shoulder surgery for Gavin Stone. And when you just said that and I saw the report that Gavinstone had shoulder surgery, the first thing I thought about was Oral Herscheiser and him talking about how what you just said, it's so harder to come back from a shoulder injury and surgery than it is from the Tommy John surgery that so many players are having now. I mean, Daniel Hudson, I read the Jeff Passing book seven eight years ago when it came out called the Arm talking about Tommy John surgery and the history of it and how it's prevalent now in minor leagues and certainly high school, in college and even younger than that. And he followed Daniel Hudson and Hiss comeback from the Tommy John surgery and the second one that he had one. Yeah, and here he is, Daniel Hudson pitched in Game one of the NLCS, and you know, hopefully it's gonna be a big part of this Dodger NLCS run here into a World Series. Still, but he's come back from to Tommy John surgery. So we're we're now in that era zaxy where we're gonna see more of this Walker Buehler. Second Tommy John surgery. We're not gonna see now a second And I just wonder, are we ever gonna get to a day where, God forbid we see a third Tommy John surgery.
Speaker 5: We see a different picture come out of high school with Tommy John surgery. Some but they've been able to rely on it so much. There's sometimes where somebody is involved in a trade or somebody gets drafted, and they will draft them even though they're going into Tommy John surgery. Yea knowing and depend counting on the fact that they'll rehab. And sometimes when you come out of Tommy John surgery. You actually throw harder, So you know, it depends on how the wear and tear was down towards the end before the surgery. Get it done, and then they come back with a new arm and here you go.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was reading something over the weekend that the Yankees team doctor has developed a tweak to the Tommy John surgery that apparently now it's a quicker return instead of sixteen to eighteen months, it's more like twelve months now. And it could be a development. And because think about the Tommy John surgeries. Just celebrated his fiftieth anniversary and since then we haven't had a drastic chain in the Tommy John surgery. I'm sure they've tweaked it and fine tuned it, but for the most part, it's the same surgery Doctor Joe performed on Tommy John fifty years ago. It's just a matter of time with technology in the way, we advance medicine so much that we get to a point now that they're able to come up with a tweak to the surgery. Certainly, the human body can only recover at a certain pace at a certain rate, but that's the biggest thing. But the surgery itself. I'm not surprised that it's been fine tuned.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that's a great thing. And believe me, that's six months difference turnaround and the recovery is probably better. And you can imagine what kind of a difference that's going to make on professional baseball. I mean, this could be a huge difference as opposed to going in for eighteen months to two years. Walker Buehlers had the long side of it, especially the second time around, trying to get himself to where he is now. So yeah, cutting that thing down to a year would be huge.
Speaker 1: It would be a big thing for baseball, no doubt about it. I mean the Dodgers you mentioned, guys who need to have Tommy John surgery. I mean it's there's numerous cases of that in baseball, where they'll pick a player and knowing that, all right, we're looking at the long term, We're looking at what he's going to be able to do down the road, knowing that we'll be able to draft him and we'll be able to work with him after we get the surgery. I mean, I think Justin Robleski is an example of that for the Dodgers who needed surgery and got it done, and they drafted him despite that, and they fall in the draft and they know that, all right, we'll get this guy at a bargain. We'll give him a discounted rate, knowing that Tommy John surgery. But we also know that in two seasons from now he'll be a big factor, hopefully in rising up through the minor leagues. Let's go to Mario and Rancho Kouka Manga out in the nine on nine. Mario, good morning, how you doing.
Speaker 3: Hey, good morning, Kim, Good morning, Steve. I wanted to have I had like a little a little comment thank you for bringing on Mike Marshall. Back in eighty eight. We sat in the left field pavilion. My dad caught of Mike Marshall's home runs incidentally in eighty eight. Yessi Rosco. He's playing for the Dodgers, and that's my uncle. Oh so went threw the balls down to the bullpen, because of course we sat right by the by the Dodger bullpen. And and then my uncle he signed it, so he grew back up for us. Yes, yes, that's that's my Mom's made a name Morosco.
Speaker 5: All right. Jesse Hancock junior college in mid central California.
Speaker 3: Right, yes, sir, Yes, sir. Yeah, I came up through the Giants farm system way back when.
Speaker 5: Man, that's amazing. It's a long time ago.
Speaker 1: Jesse Rosco pitched forever he did? Was he like twenty years seventy nine? I did a career in two thousand and three with the Twins.
Speaker 5: Wow, twenty four years.
Speaker 1: I mean that that is unbelievable.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 1: What's he doing nowadays?
Speaker 8: Mario living at the side of the last you know, he's uh as from from from my understanding is that he has a ranch and he's just you know, had living the good life, you know, kind of like Mirk Marshall under the radar, just uh, you know, living the good life.
Speaker 1: That's unbelievable. Mar I appreciate you checking in, man.
Speaker 5: That's uh. Thanks a lot of guys, Thanks Mario.
Speaker 1: Jesse O Rosco the only player in Major League Baseball history with more than twelve hundred games pitched with more than one thousand inherited runners. I mean, he was the ultimate reliever, wow in Major League Baseball.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I remember the sorta one time came out. I think he was I think he was during the playoffs against the Mets. It was you remember this y.
Speaker 1: It was he. It was right before Orhearseizer came in.
Speaker 5: This could have been one of my stories. Well maybe I'll share it with you. Let's now, so Tommy Thesorta comes out and gives you've heard the very famous tapings, Oh Tommy, the sorta raw you've heard him with the asking about you, what'd you think of Dave Kingman three run home run performance today, et cetera. You haven't ever heard one that he gave Jesse Roscoe. And I was right there and I heard every bit of it, and it was a beautiful thing.
Speaker 9: He was.
Speaker 5: He I can't tell you exactly what he said. I can't even tell you half of what he said, but let me tell you what you talk about, ripping somebody openly screaming, stuff flying out of his mouth. His eyes were bulging out, his gut was shaken everywhere, and he was gesturing and just giving him every four letter version of the word that you could possibly imagine. And it worked, It worked, he got out of the inning. But boy, did I've never seen anybody get berated like Jesse Rosco did. And he took it. He sat there and he stood there and took it. And I've never seen Tommy just give it to somebody, on and on and on the whole time. And he got out of the ending. I couldn't believe it. How he was just giving it to Jesse.
Speaker 1: That is unbelievable.
Speaker 5: And I mean usually Tommy would if he had something like that to do. He took you in his office, close the door, and let you have it, you know what I mean. So why this case air mountain in front of everybody, Well, because this was right in the middle of a time where we needed him to step up. Tommy felt it, He felt the moment, and he said, this guy needs a big kick in the you know what, and he gave it to him. I don't think he thought twice about it. He was just improvising as he went. And man, I've never heard a rendition of the F word like I heard that day. It was incredible how he did it.
Speaker 1: Jesse Orosco, for the young baseball fans, retired when he was forty six years old. He was one of the oldest players to still be playing in the modern era when he retired. He's one of only thirty one players in the history of baseball to have appeared in not one, not two, not three, but four decades as a relief pitcher.
Speaker 5: Is that incredible?
Speaker 1: It is unreal he pitched in this is he pitched in twelve hundred games. Wow, in the course of his career and his arm is still hanging there on the left side. I'nbelievab watch all all those hittings, and I'm just trying to make sure I have the career. I don't think he ever had Tommy John surge. It would have tell me here, but yeah, I'm pretty sure he never had. I'm sure he had arm injuries, but never had Tommy John surgery. Twelve one hundred outings, that.
Speaker 5: Is just incredible. I mean I was teammates with him. I faced him, you know, I think anybody that played baseball could probably say that. You know, I was teammates and I faced him. I mean, how I'm looking at his I'm looking at his numbers right now, and I have to scroll on the page because it's so long. I mean, he leads the world with twelve hundred and fifty two games pitched.
Speaker 1: Right Matt's, Rodgers, Indians, Brewers, Orioles, Cardinals, Padres, Yankees, and twins.
Speaker 5: Yep, and through all that he had a three sixteen ERA that's pretty amazing. And he made a couple of All Star teams. He was third in the Cy Young voting back in nineteen eighty three. But you talk about a guy that had made two All Star Games early in his career and then after that it was it was just a good pitcher, you know. You know, he did lead the league in games back in nineteen ninety five, so that's uh, you know. I mean, he was a good pitcher. But for a guy to stay on that says a lot about his health. I mean, for a guy to stay and be it available that long and be healthy is pretty incredible.
Speaker 1: A left handed specialist, Jesse Rosco, I don't think he had oblique injuries. I don't think he missed time because of.
Speaker 5: A I don't think he had a blister. Yea.
Speaker 1: He pitched, probably throw a lot of those Steve Sacks, Tim Kats and you it's Saxon Kates in the a m as a Dodgers and Mets head back to New York a workout later today. Game three of the NLCS is tomorrow night at City Field, well, of course at Maroango Casino Dodgers on deck beginning at four o'clock. First pitch from New York. At five oh eight, your phone calls. When we come back, leading into Colin Coward Rogan and Rodney Petro some money. A full day of great sports talk here on an five seventy l I Sports Saxon, Kates and Am until the top of the hour. Then it's calling Calherd Rogan to Rodney live in local at noon Petro some Money three to seven on this Tuesday, October fifteenth, day off in the NLCS, Game three tomorrow at City Field. Yesterday before Game two, Saxony, I don't know if you had a chance to see this. The guys on MLB on Fox, Kevin Burkhard, Alex Rodriguez, Big Poppy, David Ortiz, and of course Jeets Derek Jeter. We're on the field for pre game. They brought Clayton Kershaw over to this set there along the third base line, and we're talking baseball with him, having a lot of fun about how he would pitch to all three of those great hitters up on the stage, and then asked him how he's feeling after not pitching in the postseason, having the toe injury, but coming back overall from shoulder surgery that he had last offseason, and he dropped this little nuggets with the guys on Fox.
Speaker 10: Mentally, I feel great, you know, And I had shoulder surgery last offseason, and my shoulder and elbow everything, my arm feels great. Obviously I had some tough luck with my foot this year, but you know, I want to make use of the surgery. You know, I don't want to have surgery and then shut it down. So you know, I'm gonna come back next year and give it a go and you know, see how it goes.
Speaker 1: Clayton Kershaw says he'll be back in twenty kenty five.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and like I like how he said it. You know, we'll see how it goes. And I think that's good. I want to see Clayton Kershaw retire with this vision of how great he was. I don't I don't want to. I don't want to see him hang on for a long time, even though some you know, people would have him there. And I know he loves a game and he's such a competitor, but he's a first ballot Hall of Famer. He obviously has nothing to prove. I want to see him go out, you know, as the big, unbelievable start he is. I don't want I don't want to see the vestiges of something that was once really really great. Yeah, you know, become a B level guy. You know, he's he's not that, he's a He's a all the way he is.
Speaker 1: Thirty six. The future Hall of Famer will be thirty seven next March, and something to keep in mind, he's just thirty seven strikeouts away from three thousand in his career. And not that he's not already a first ballot Hall of Famer, but it's thirty thirty two strikeouts away from three thousand. Yeah, that has something pretty special compelling. Oh yeah, absolutely, He's got a player option for twenty twenty five to come back for the Dodgers.
Speaker 5: So there you go.
Speaker 1: It better being a Dodger uniform eighteen.
Speaker 5: Of course it'll be a Dodgery, of course, absolutely.
Speaker 1: John and Rositaz next up with that, and Kate in the A and thank should be doing.
Speaker 9: Hi guys, Hi, Steve and Tam, thank you for taking my call. I just had a couple of things. Well, first, you answered my first question with about Clayton Kershaw, I thought maybe he would come back sometime during this the NLDS for the World Series. But I answered that on that last segment there. But I had a couple of questions with with our advanced scouting, didn't we know about shaw Mania and his new delivery and pitching change that he could inform our guys so they didn't look like they were caught flat footed, you know. And then and then also yesterday, when Dave Roberts walked in door, I thought he should have done an unintentional, intentional walk at least maybe hit and swing something, because it seemed to backfire like the other teams that you know, walk with Tony, the next guy comes up and hurts you. So I wanted to hear your take on that, especially that intentional if you could just maybe would have swung and missed it something. It's better hit a three run homer than a Grand Slam. But just gets your take on that, guys, And thanks for taking my call, and go Dodgers, baby, are They's lot?
Speaker 5: John?
Speaker 1: The intentional walk to Lindor brought up Vientos so after the game said that he took it personal and hits the Grand Slam. Part of that five run Indian intentional walk put up the four whether you do that or you make him try to chase four pitches. I don't want to mess with Francisco Lindor.
Speaker 5: No, he did the right thing. I mean, look at hindsight. As always, hindsight's always twenty twenty. He did the right thing. I mean, you put him on, then you pitch to Vento's. But look, it is what it is. They certainly knew to answer his question, his first question. Everybody knew about Sean and I is a transformation as as a side cross body delivery whatever you call it now, the Chris Sale mode. Yeah, and he's what an effective pitcher and we already talked about that. So yes, they did know that. They have all the tape on him, They studied it. It was to no avail. He was just that good, especially early in.
Speaker 1: The Rick and san Pedro wrap things up here on this Tuesday edition at Sax and Kate today. Am how you doing?
Speaker 5: Rick?
Speaker 8: Rick?
Speaker 1: Go ahead and you're on the air, Rick.
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 1: Can't end it on that note. Isabelle Isabelle and Anaheim. You get into things here on a Tuesday edition. Hi is he.
Speaker 8: Hi?
Speaker 11: Well, I'm plady gone yesterday, you guys, so hopefully any CTLT I think they see so I think they're going.
Speaker 1: We'll probably go six, is he You're right? I think they could take two or three there in New York? Absolutely, But first things first, got to take care of game three tomorrow night. On an off day like this, actually traveling like they did, not getting until two three o'clock in the morning, a late workout tonight. What are these guys doing today? Off their feet? What are they doing? Sight seeing? Going on the Statue of Liberty?
Speaker 5: They're probably no, no, you're not doing that. They're probably still sleeping. They probably go to bed about three point thirty quarter to four, I would say, so, uh yeah, they're still sleeping, and they're just probably we're you know, getting up now. It's probably what noon there now, So yeah, they're gonna get up, get a little breakfast, late breakfast, go out to the yard and get a good night's sleep after the workout, and come out and rambling tomorrow. It's gonna be a great event.
Speaker 1: Nice big slice of New York pizza, all problem. Yeah, That's what I'd be doing right now, no doubt about it. Saxy, great show this morning, great toxatge Rdy. Mike Marshall will talk tomorrow. You bet, buddy, all right, Thanks to Zach, thanks to Michelle, Thanks to you for being a part of this show. The Dodgers will get up today and get ready for Game three tomorrow, which we'll have, of course right here on AFI seventy LA Sports. Coming up next, it's The Herd with Colin Cowherd, Rogan and Rodney at noon, Petchro, some money and three. Have a great rest of your Tuesday afternoon. Have faith, Dodger fans. The series shifts to New York tomorrow.