Speaker 1: What's up, everybody, and welcome to fire Escape Cast. I am not Mike Maharty who usually leads us in, but I think I'm doing a pretty good job of it. My name is Mary or excited to get into lots of game and stuff for you guys today.
Speaker 2: I think he says that every week.
Speaker 1: I think he always says get into the gaming stuff, Dan, Is that how he does?
Speaker 3: He says that? But you said welcome to fire Escape Cast, which I've never heard it that way before. I think technically it's fire Escape Cast, but you know it's the fire Escape Cast, right, so we do we need to restart?
Speaker 4: You're like, God, damn it, I don't want to restart.
Speaker 1: I want all of this included. I'm not a fool. Sorry, Okay. I think this is based on our Twitter handle, which is like I couldn't cram in all the letters, and so some of our social media is the fire Escape Cast. Some of it is fire Escape Cast. Dude, I think on Blue Sky or fire Escape like no, the no cast. Oh, I'm pretty sure I've mixed it up as a good social media professional will do. Dan, Thank you for that insight, and you will also notice because there is no Mike. We did need to find an awesome person to fill in, and I think we've done it.
Speaker 2: So everybody please.
Speaker 1: Welcome comedian gamer Cat enthusiast Lisa Wallin. Thanks for joining everything.
Speaker 4: Actually, I think now they've thought about it. I do too much.
Speaker 1: Some of us say that. I feel like in this industry it's kind of required to do too much, or it's really difficult to like survive. Like if someone was like I only cover JRPGs, it's like, good luck, buddy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I only have a podcast, Like, so you make ten dollars a week?
Speaker 2: Nice? So you live with your parents?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: What percentage of comedians have their own podcast? Do you think?
Speaker 4: Too many? Including myself, I've had like I think this is my fifth podcast this week, or no, just I've started.
Speaker 1: Your individual This one's gonna say.
Speaker 4: This one's really gonna stick though, Guys.
Speaker 1: I got a good feeling about number.
Speaker 3: Five were we are missing Mike my hearty this week, And I was just trying to think, like, is he the most like because Mary, you and I were talking before this about like you know, how to move the show along and like the basic things we have to do. Is he the most like organized adult? Of the crew, you think.
Speaker 1: Shockingly, I will admit that I think Mike is the most organized of the three of us. I don't think that any of us are super duper organized.
Speaker 4: I'm pretty organized. You're in, he's out.
Speaker 1: We need like someone to keep us on track. I just here's the way I will put it, too.
Speaker 5: Though.
Speaker 1: It's like I feel like I'm the one who's like, hey, three weeks out, I'm gonna be gone, or like I need to record on a weird day of the week. Like I feel like I look ahead, but I can also lapse and go like two weeks without talking to you guys. Mike is the consistent one who's like, we have an ad read, we have uh, you know, we have something to do. Who's going to packs Like he's like he's actively thinking about what we're doing all the time and keeping us together.
Speaker 4: I think he's do you know Hecknor Navarro m he's my he's a comic book guy, but he's my co host, and we just go when can we record this week? Can you record tomorrow? We've done that, so we're very We both travel a lot and that's why we do bi weekly.
Speaker 3: Yes, we did keep ourselves sane because we all have day jobs and stuff. So it's even the bi weekly becomes difficult.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is. I think it's a lifesaver though, because quite frankly, it's also a really good gap to play more games. I think if we did it weekly, I'd be like, oh God, what did I play? Or like I need to play something right now, whereas in two weeks, of course, I've played two to three games in two weeks, right, Like, I've had weekends in there for us to like to just muck around and do nothing. So I really have enjoyed the cadence that we've had, But it does not mean that on the occasional week we're like who can record in three hours?
Speaker 2: Because that's all we have.
Speaker 1: Mike's getting on a plane and I'm going on a drug bender, and Dan is something going wrong with his house or his mouth.
Speaker 3: Oh speaking, which both are going wrong right now?
Speaker 1: What's wrong with the inside or the outside.
Speaker 3: So the last weird one right now is the mouth yesterday. So if if you see me recoil, if I laugh during this podcast, it's because they put a big bolt screw thing in my face.
Speaker 4: Yes, what happened at the summer game fest.
Speaker 3: No, were you there that night when I got shot with? Yeah? Okay, no shock, are you a witness? I didn't get injured doing that? I thought I did. I thought I could cuss you knock my teeth out, But no, this is just a lifetime of poor dental or eating too much candy probably, so I had to get an plant. So, as far as I can tell, nothing wacky happened there, but it's still not pleasant to uh. I didn't get put under. They gave me the laughing gas, and I had them cranking up as much a possible. But it turns out, even if it doesn't hurt, you can very much feel a piece of titanium screw going up into your skull. And that's really that.
Speaker 1: Had How did they go? Did they go too high?
Speaker 3: They said?
Speaker 4: It was like too high, they said it.
Speaker 3: And that's over an inch of a screw that went into my gums and into the bone. And I was kind of freaking out a little bit, even under the nitrous. So when it was going up, I was like, ah ha, and I raised my hand and they're like, oh God, are you feeling that? Are you feeling pain? You should be feeling pain? And I thought about it, and I'm like, I guess it's not pain. I'm trying to explain to them it's weird. It's just weird. You can feel every turn of the fucking screw going up there. And it turns out that's not an issue that they need to stop for. So they were just like, I fuck it, and they just kept going up there. So, yeah, I'm doing the whole soft food thing. I got the got the pudding and all that.
Speaker 4: Oh you're good. You're like a dog who got his teeth rooms.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, where's your cone?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I should get that.
Speaker 4: You're eating soft kibble.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I try to. I a little bit of cheese today, So that's looking all right. But so that's that's what's going wrong.
Speaker 1: And you can have cheese, that's your mouth surgery.
Speaker 3: I haven't. I have a surplus of cheese right now because I went to Wisconsin this weekend. But that's a different story. The really weird one is today. Okay, So I went to Wisconsin this weekend. My sister stayed in this room. I had a blow up mattress. Put it in here.
Speaker 1: This is this is where I stayed when I stayed in your house in same situation.
Speaker 3: So I get back from Wisconsin, Kyla flies home and walk in here and it kind of smells weird, and I'm like, I have you know, known Kayla her entire life. I've never known her to be a smelly person. She's not a stupid person at all. I was like, why would it be stinking here? We she only slept in here one night, and it's been like four days since she was in here, and so I'm starting to think, like, is there something gross going on here? To the cat piss on something? Is there shit somewhere? I got two dogs and a cat. It could be something like that. I'm looking everywhere. I don't see it. And then today at least we do a show called Blight Club where we play terrible games and we have to dress up as the main character and I'm playing Pimp My Ride. Yeah, I'm doing Pimp My Ride for PS two right now. So they naturally sent me a pimpsuit for it. So I had this pimp suit that when I'm done with the stream, I just take it off and I throw it on the floor. It's not like nice clothes, so I don't have to worry about if it's wrinkled or anything. We're twenty minutes before going live today and I still haven't figured out where the smell is coming from. Pick up the pimpsuit, dead mouse underneath it?
Speaker 4: Did she bring it in as a gift for you?
Speaker 3: No? I had nothing to do with my sister, certainly. I texted her there's anything. We're like, there's a deadality.
Speaker 4: You're just like, I don't know where to leave him, you know?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: No, I think he has everything.
Speaker 3: I don't have that. Well, So now I'm thinking I'm new to the cat game here. I got a cat for it's been like two three months now. Is it a chance? Do I either a have an infestation of mice that's new or have I maybe always had mice? And now I'm just finding corpses because I've found two in the last week now, And is it because my cat is suddenly?
Speaker 4: You know what it is? It's because one mouse found out about your cheese collection and went to the other.
Speaker 3: Going to Wisconsin.
Speaker 4: There're all coming in for the cheese.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they know you're weak.
Speaker 4: From your dental surgery, so that they're taking advantage of your time.
Speaker 1: They don't know about the cat, which I think is probably killing the mice because a cat is a mouse killer.
Speaker 3: I'm impressed, honestly, Like I've heard, you know, you hear about cat and mice and stuff. But like last night, me and Bonk were watching a movie which Mary you recommended and we can talk about in a bit. But he was just locked in on this fly that he saw for like two hours. He was like jumping up near the screen and stuff, and he finally, after two hours, killed this fucking fly. I had no idea that cats could do that.
Speaker 1: Not only do they kill flies, they torture them. They like grab them and they like, oh yeah, bat them around a little bit, they give them concussions, They kind of like tear off their wings or their legs one by one. They like put them in their mouth and then spit them out. Cats are evil fuckers.
Speaker 3: I think it's kind cool.
Speaker 4: My cats are. My cats are sweeties, but yes, they would be evil if I let them outside.
Speaker 3: You have.
Speaker 4: I have two fact ones on the bed right now, just waiting for me to feed them dinner.
Speaker 3: It's doing the worts Tournament's back to you right like that I heard that.
Speaker 4: It's just like it's not seven pm, okay, It's like a cat power because they just want to hang out with me all the time. It's very precious, but also they're very annoying. Like I got two cats so that when I travel I didn't have to worry about them as much. But then anything like human with me right now, Like they don't bite or scratch or hiss, but they just love, they love attention. They want to be around everyone all the time. So I really got dogs, is what I got.
Speaker 1: That's what I have. They don't, but they wouldn't kill a mouse. If you had a mouse, would they hunt it?
Speaker 4: They would probably look at me and scream because they don't they share a brain cell, and it doesn't work very well.
Speaker 3: Do you cut their nails?
Speaker 4: Yes? I do. I do. I used to all the time. I haven't lately, but when I do, they do, they just submit. They're like no survival skills.
Speaker 3: That sounds completely different from mine, because like, yeah, I think we were expecting almost more like dog like behavior and like easy to like grab the hands and do this stuff, and like we cannot get shit done as far as like trimming the nails. We were trying to like gab a penton and one of us holding it and it's I'm still trying to figure that out.
Speaker 1: I think her cats are like permanently sedated, because I couldn't imagine even Simon wouldn't allow such a thing. They allow me, like very slightly to pick them up, but at some point he's like, let me down. I'm too heavy for this. But you can't cut bosses nails or we dried ones.
Speaker 3: I think we got yeah boss big boss Yep, yep, absolutely yes, and we got I guess they have twenty nails, right? Is it five each?
Speaker 4: You're collecting them? I go to twenty nails so far?
Speaker 3: Don't they have like secret ones? Though they have like secret are you assuming?
Speaker 1: Oh the sixth one like their thumb is like in their wrist or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you're not clipping their back nails, right, I.
Speaker 3: Don't think so. We're just doing like the normal finger things.
Speaker 4: So the normal hands are fine, the normal pause.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know you don't go too close to the quick and all that stuff. But I think we got most of them, but he just gets really pissed off and not at all sedate. So we're working on that.
Speaker 4: No, I got two stone cats.
Speaker 1: You're lucky. I think the more you do it though the better. Like if you don't do it, then the cat like grows up thinking that it's not allowed or like they don't need it, and then they're gonna be even more psycho and you do have to get it done. I think I've always been a bad dog parent, where like I just never really yelled at my dog or like dealt with it. And now he's nine and the house he you can't touch. You can't touch his paws. In fact, he yells at me if I like pick up his paw, he'll like suck it away, and you're like, you don't.
Speaker 4: Have a drop at me, You don't eat taxes.
Speaker 1: He does nothing for this environment, but he is my darling baby boy, and I live and work to give him a better life. So it's really on me for being the parent of an only child. I've given him too much and now he's a monster. Anyway. Do you think they're killing the mice? I feel like they're killing the mice. I think that did you check them for tiny talons?
Speaker 3: Like I didn't want to get too close, but like I didn't see any like active gaping wounds or anything. But the one in the bathroom was fucking like alive and it was squeaking in like clearly injured. Like at first I was thinking like is it did it starve or something? And it's like that that actually looked pretty like plump and stuff. So I wonder if the cat just like yeah, I mean like I've got a picture on the phone. I don't know, he's een all those cheese.
Speaker 4: He's eating all the cheese, you know, a cheese.
Speaker 3: He looked healthy outside of not being able to move or do anything like so sad.
Speaker 4: Yes, I think they could have been. It's maybe what's the diff tweet a mouse and someone's lost pot that.
Speaker 3: I'm showing a picture of one of the two dead mice I found. But yeah, no, clear it's not a murder scene.
Speaker 4: There's no anywhere it looks like a murder scene. But it does look it's you know what, it's content, you know, why not?
Speaker 3: But they're pu this is the bathroom one. And it's like that's a plump, normal looking mouse, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe just one on a honeymoon, you know, giving them personality. I would care if there's a mouse in my house. I'm like, we should get it a cage, like that's how I would be.
Speaker 1: They use a button for shields and they yeah, they have like little johopes and dreams. I'm like such a sucker for animals, even mice. I went to New York City on a work trip and I saw a mouse in the kitchen. Apparently you can't avoid it, right, like kitchens, especially in major.
Speaker 4: New Mice are built different too.
Speaker 1: They're they're just it exists there. Yeah, they're functioning in that space. And a little mouse ran through a restaurant as we were leaving, and someone like a passer by was like ew and stop, like stepped on it, and it just kind of like sat there and I thought it was dead. And everyone was like that's the circle of New York life, like everyone move on. But it was cold, and I felt so bad and I was like it's in the middle of the sidewalk, Like I'm so not cool at this, and so everyone was like leave it, don't touch it, like they're disgusting, and I like they are, and I was like I literally can't help it.
Speaker 4: And I had a conical record.
Speaker 1: I have gloves on because it's cold. It was like the winner. I picked it up by its tail and I walked over and I just put it in a pile of like garbage bags, and I thought, that'll give it a soft resting place to either die or have a nap, and then it can scurry away on its own. But I was like, I refused, leave this like squished mouse.
Speaker 4: You just put it back in the rushot be like, you need to go back to work. You can't take time off right now.
Speaker 1: Putting it in the butter tray until he feels better, Everybody leave him alone.
Speaker 3: You pick it up bad bare hands.
Speaker 1: You picked it up glove.
Speaker 2: I had a glove because it was winter.
Speaker 3: So I'm a baby, and I like this even if it's dead, and I know it poses no actual threat to me. Just the idea of like feeling this like corpse mouse in my hand freaks me out. So I have specifically for this purpose for gloves. No, I have the fucking you know, the thing that they advertise for old people that need to like grab things from shelves and.
Speaker 4: Stuff, grabber just for your rats.
Speaker 3: I have a grabber for when there's like a gross thing lady in.
Speaker 4: The Midwest right now.
Speaker 3: In many ways, yeah, yeah, I grabbed it by the tail with the little like grabber thing, and I just take it and I just throw it in the woods.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And you said that the mouse you found in the bathroom was alive, So did it die in your grabber?
Speaker 3: No? So okay, there was the dead one in here, the pimpsuit one. Pimpsu one was definitely dead. And that's just in a trash can. The one the bathroom one which was still squeaking and stuff. That was really sad. We actually did a me and Bank kind of scooted it into a box and then moved it out back and just kind of put it like a hawk is probably taking it ten minutes later, you know, but at.
Speaker 1: Least it goes into the circle of life. I mean, I feel like a hawk eating like a mouse.
Speaker 4: I die.
Speaker 2: Isn't so sad?
Speaker 4: I let them go out. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I don't like spiders, but I will pick them up, not with my hands, my god, never a spider. I will find a way to put them in a cup.
Speaker 4: See. I don't mind spiders. I just hate their webs because it's like I don't consent to touching those like, you know, like, and they're always in random places where I can't find them.
Speaker 3: Want to say, there, Kayla, she had a tarantula like one of those big fuzzy ass ones, and like she'd be sitting in her room growing up playing Dynasty Warriors as like a little kid and just have this fucker crawling all over her head back and everything.
Speaker 4: I'm good, yeah, no, I give yeah. Also, just like people who own bub it's like they don't live very long.
Speaker 3: So why is there like a tortoise of the bug world that does live.
Speaker 4: I don't know. There's like the big beetles, you see, they live like six months. So I'm like, how like you just want to get your heart broken six months and then get a new one.
Speaker 3: I don't think I realized. I think it was like a year ago on a podcast. I think Jeff Beckler came brought to my attention that like I didn't realize bugs were dying every winter, and I didn't realize that it was a thing that like he's like, oh, you never noticed that there's less bugs in the winter. I was like, no, I didn't even think about, Like do you ever notice. I here's the thing. I didn't think anything. Didn't notice anything. Yeah, I didn't know if it's like I didn't even notice they were gone during the winter or that they were more prominent in the summer. I just didn't clock it. I guess if something's not in front of my face, I'm not thinking about it typically.
Speaker 4: So I definitely noticed it more in California than I did back in Washington because it gets so hot here and then the bugs are trying to get in the house to cool off, and I'm like, no, no, no, this is I pay rent not you get out.
Speaker 3: FORNI a year year round. Like bug issues.
Speaker 4: I mean like I have a shit ton of plants and the only time I ever get bug issues is in the summer. They all get like a fids and like fruit flies. I actually haven't gone any fruit flies this year knock on wooden shockingly, but it's always really hard between like June and like August, and I'm like, oh, even the bugs, no, even they know what's up.
Speaker 3: Do you ever get one of the like electric tennis racket gimmicks?
Speaker 4: No, I just put you know, eat. The solution for fruit flies is right, what you get a bowl of water, vinegar and dish soap. He's put it out and literally the next day they're all in there. It's disgusting. It's like crack for them.
Speaker 3: I think I never had to consider the fruit fly stuff because I probably went a large chunk of my adult life without eating a fruit, and then now I'm married.
Speaker 4: But they love plants. They love plants too.
Speaker 2: He doesn't like those either.
Speaker 1: He's never seen a banana or a plant bowl upstairs.
Speaker 3: Now since I got I've eat more fruits I'm eating.
Speaker 4: That's why you don't notice bugs is because you don't have any plants that will.
Speaker 2: Hoard them, have anything alive.
Speaker 4: Yeah, wintertime, it's like, my plants are dying, but there's no bugs. Summertime, my plants are thriving, but there's bugs. It's just a fruit.
Speaker 1: Flies, shockingly, do not care about nerds rope like. They only want like fruit.
Speaker 4: They're just like, yeah, all I know is that I have a very fruitful household.
Speaker 3: Okay, I got to get into the I keep telling myself I'm gonna get into the healthy food game. And then I just like, listen, if you.
Speaker 4: Want a plant, just get a snake plant. This thing has been sitting at my desk for like six months and I don't do anything to it, and it's thriving.
Speaker 1: Look at it like they're called like mother, mother, mother's tongue or mother in law tongue.
Speaker 2: Probably can't be killed.
Speaker 1: The idea is that their snake looks like that, and you they're very difficult to kill.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you kill a snake plant, then like you should go to therapy like that's it's absorbing your bad mental health. That's that's the only way you can kill it.
Speaker 1: It did its job.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly. I do believe my plants are tied in my mental health because like, when I'm not doing well, my plants will start drooping. It's like no, no, no, no, you need to stay alive. Okay, fine, I'll be in a better mood like.
Speaker 3: This symbiotic relationship.
Speaker 4: Yeah I don't have. Hopefully my cats and my plants.
Speaker 1: Hopefully Dan's mental health isn't tied to the mice health near him because they're dropping like flies over there.
Speaker 4: They sense cheese and weakness.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well there's plenty of both of you get a bunch of cheese curts, like cheese curds. Is that a thing? Like marry you're Midwest? List? I don't. Did you grow up in California?
Speaker 4: I mean no, I grew up in Seattle. But even I know cheese curt I mean mainly because of poutine.
Speaker 3: But I'm talking about the squeaky ones.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is a Wisconsin thing, and like every fucking store, especially like along the high way going into Wisconsin, it's just nothing but cheese curds and they are squeaky. Look if you look up squeaky curds like that's so we were looking at like how they're made, and it's I guess they.
Speaker 4: Sneaky curds is a very cute name though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good cat, it's it sounds.
Speaker 4: Like a jazz singer from the thirties given up for squeaky curds.
Speaker 3: Like squeaks between your teeth, and it's probably super unhealthy, I would imagine, But yeah, yeah, I went into one and we bought a bunch of curds. But then they also sold us three week expired cheese and we didn't realize until we run.
Speaker 4: The blue cheese that's the one.
Speaker 3: She's I don't like bunk, but into it cheesy. And I looked at the thing and she she didn't act like it tasted weird or anything. But yeah, I was expired like three weeks ago, and it seemed okay. I went on campaign of calling the company and everything, and trying to get a six dollar refund for the expired cheese, and they refused, so I did not get justice for the expired cheese. But the cheese curds themselves were very good cheese.
Speaker 1: I don't know a lot about kurds, but when I lived in Australia, I had halloumi more than once, which is like one of the very few cheeses that you can put on a grill like you can. You can grill it on a high flame grill and it won't melt. It just gets delicious grill marks on it and then you can just eat it.
Speaker 3: Is that what we had at in Boston?
Speaker 1: Maybe I love halloumi. I'm always trying. I'm always putting hallumi on on my buds because I think it tastes so good. But it also squeaks, like, so what's up with that?
Speaker 4: I think like, I think has entered the back of me.
Speaker 3: Now uh oh, it's on the chair.
Speaker 1: They just get taller. Well, I'm sorry about all of the death and your house.
Speaker 3: It's not like people are pet death. It's just like gross stuffed death for the most part.
Speaker 4: Maybe maybe you just don't realize that you're a Disney princess.
Speaker 3: That seems unlikely.
Speaker 4: I would say, yeah, like a t MoU version.
Speaker 1: You get like rats, remember when you got the basement.
Speaker 3: Lizards, salamanders and a snake. That's true.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this sounds more like a Disney thing than anything in my opinion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dan, the Disney princess, it's just covered in dead mice.
Speaker 4: And squeaky cards or whatever.
Speaker 3: We went to. So the place we went to Wisconsin's called Wisconsin Dell's and it's basically a city of water slides and water parks, like it's what they're It's like the waterslide capital of the world. So it's just like all these resorts all.
Speaker 4: Isn't it freezing half the time? Is it indoors?
Speaker 3: No? So that's the thing is they are prepared for the cold times because it's a lot of them are indoors. The one the resort we stayed at was half indoors, half outdoors, and we rode everything on both sides. And it had been forever since I've done a water park. Have you guys done the one where it's like you stand vertically and they just drop the ground out from under you.
Speaker 1: Yes, I have done a water slide like that. It's like a coffin. You like have to be in it with your arms crossed and then.
Speaker 4: It just you know, this just made me realize there isn't any water parks in LA that I'm.
Speaker 1: Aware, like the perfect place to have a water park, right.
Speaker 4: We have Disneyland and Universal, but no water parks. Imagine change. Am I not very farm.
Speaker 1: I feel like in Ohio we're like notorious for theme parks and water parks because.
Speaker 2: It's just like what you can do in Ohio.
Speaker 1: So I was kind of like raised in water parks. The one where it drops you like you're standing and the floor just falls terrifying. I saw a girl, you know, she was young, she was like thirteen, but she was like, I got it. I'm gonna go. I can't wait. I'm so excited. And then the door go like shuts and they lock it and she freaked out.
Speaker 2: She freaked out. She started crying.
Speaker 1: She was like, let me out right now, and the dad was like, you got it, and she was like, I do not fucking have it open this door, and she was she lost her mind and they had to unlock it and let her out, and she cried all the way downstairs, and I was like, that is terrifying just to watch someone else lose their mind.
Speaker 3: I mean it is because normally you sit down at the top and you just kind of go at your own speed. But like you go into a vertical coffin basically, and the floor is just going to drop out and it's like a complete drop. It's fucking insane. Which when I think I want a water park that is just stuff like that and no kid shit, because like this has been notorious.
Speaker 4: You're trying to look up what this bride looks like? What's it called?
Speaker 3: Just look up? God? What There's gotta be a term for it.
Speaker 1: Water water park, It's like a water park, tube, water.
Speaker 4: Park, tube, vertical drop.
Speaker 1: Floor drop, coffin, maybe floor drop.
Speaker 3: Okay, here I found one awkward drop water slide at at Aqua Park Aqua Colors on YouTube. Aqua drop water slide at Aqua Park. That's a lot of aqua, too many aquas. This is in Croatia.
Speaker 4: Okay, oh my god, this is terrifying.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, see how they like make you They make you stand like a dead person.
Speaker 4: With your imasaphobic So I can't do this.
Speaker 1: But I I love you would never make it.
Speaker 4: No, I would die. Oh god, this is awful.
Speaker 3: It's cool though, because like on those, you can't have like little kids on those, and all the other lines had little kids, and uh, this has traditionally been a childless podcast. Least I don't know if you have kids, but we're.
Speaker 1: No only I don't know if we're.
Speaker 4: Generally anti we too many plants.
Speaker 3: I was thinking while I was there that we've all played Expedition thirty three that I would love a situation if we could like institute like a reverse gomage, so like you know how it counts down from one hundred in the game, if we're all one year old, if I just paint one on a.
Speaker 4: Mo I also just want I also just want old old people to be gone. Actually, let's just leave people between.
Speaker 3: He goes to a double ended gomage.
Speaker 4: So yeah, just close it in.
Speaker 3: At the same time, and then we kind of close in until everyone says, cool, yeah.
Speaker 1: Exactly, the old double guma.
Speaker 4: Listen. I have a story that I'm like working on is a bit because I thought it was so funny because it's like I have friends now that have kids and whatnot, you know, whatever, they live in areas, they can afford houses. But I went to like a family like get together a few weeks ago and it was like ten adults. I was probably one of the oldest ones there. And then there was just one kid. It was my friend's kid, and we were all standing around talking and the kid like blined it to me and grab my arm. He goes, do you want to come play with my Spider Man collection? And I was like, oh my god, he thinks I'm a kid, like I am. I am not. I am not giving off adult vibes to children still, or.
Speaker 3: Do the kids just think that adults care about that stuff or he.
Speaker 4: It was like it was like ten people between the ages of thirty and forty, so I'm right in the middle. And this kid like looked at every adult and just went to me and was like, that's definitely still a child.
Speaker 3: Did you check it out?
Speaker 4: Of course I did. I was like, yeah, that was the.
Speaker 3: Most interesting part of the Spider Man collection he just had.
Speaker 4: He just had a Spider Man. It was a Spider Man toys. This kid doesn't no value, you know, he doesn't know he hasn't been on Prime one studio to find like an eight hundred dollars statue.
Speaker 1: You know, were you like this collection sucks to me? He makes yourself an actual You want to.
Speaker 4: See my eight hundred dollars statue of Virgil from double may cry.
Speaker 3: That Virgil or five? Which one are we talking about? Oh? Nice, I love Virgil.
Speaker 4: It's thirty inches tall, taller than that kid. But it was just very in the moment, like, yeah, I do not give off babysitter parent vibes at all. I give off like this is a giant child hanging out with these adults.
Speaker 3: I maybe sat once when I was younger, and I got fired. I guess because of two incidents. One of them was I ate all of their boxes of cheese. It's during one thing, and the mom got mad that I ate all the cheeses by myself. The other was, I guess you're not supposed to do this with kids. This kid and Nick was really young and I was second all of the neighborhood pool and he was terrified of bees, and I thought it'd be funny if as we walked to the pool, I was like, nif there's a pea on your shoulder, and he freaked the fuck out and screamed and told his mom, you're not supposed to do that cats if your babysitting.
Speaker 1: No, how old was this child that you like?
Speaker 3: Kids? Probably I don't know six, I was probably sixteen.
Speaker 4: I don't know he was like six.
Speaker 3: Kid ages, but I probably older myself.
Speaker 4: I am not.
Speaker 1: It's a child, Michael. How old could he be? Nine? Like, we don't know and we have no concept of like child age.
Speaker 4: Hair. I sat in my life. My first baby ever held was my knees five years ago, and I held her like this, So I was like, I should not be around a child like this is Yeah, this is not I hear a baby.
Speaker 3: I learned about the head thing where they like, you know, you got to put a hand behind the head so they don't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I held her like this, I present to you baby, So yeah, no kids for me. Just if I have another kid, it's gonna be another cat, that's it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I had I invited a girlfriend uh to get uh like basically to go to a club with me, but it had it's twenty one and up usually and you can invite children, but you have to get it approved in advance. So I called and I said, Hi, I'm meeting someone and I want their kid to be able to come to and they said, okay, no problem. How old is the kid? And I was like, well, he's walking and he's talking, and he's got like little shorts with pockets in it, so he's got to be like ten. And they were like, no worries, and so they write it down and she shows up and they're like, hi, Hi, is this your kid?
Speaker 2: And she's like yes, and they're like.
Speaker 1: We we were told he was ten old.
Speaker 4: Is how old is this kid?
Speaker 1: And she was like he's three And I was like, three year olds can walk and talk and wear shorts with like pockets in them. I had no call.
Speaker 4: That's exactly what a toddler does. Toddlers have such unnecessary pockets.
Speaker 3: Embarrassed liked toddlers nowadays have like phones probably like I feel.
Speaker 4: Like my niece has texted me and she's like seven. I'm like, no, they.
Speaker 1: Can play roadblocks. I can tell you that. Maybe not legally, but.
Speaker 4: They can finally, but they can play untitled goose game.
Speaker 3: I know that, yeah, which I think that makes the untitled Goose game people they're making. So they're the ones making that big walk game that yeah, that looks Listen.
Speaker 4: My first cell phone, I got I was a note. I got no Kia phone when I was like in fifth grade because I played soccer and that thing was a brick. That was a weapon. You could understand.
Speaker 1: Why did soccer give you a no key a phone? Because I played gymnastics and I didn't get a phone my parents.
Speaker 4: My parents are drug addicts, and they were like, listen, we don't know we're going to pick you up, so just call us my parents.
Speaker 2: That's so sad but pol but like you know.
Speaker 4: Like I still hang out with them. They come to my shows like no, like I'm.
Speaker 1: House loaded, and they don't give a ship what I know.
Speaker 4: They're just like Dan, they're just holding a drink, Like, just call me when you want me to pick you up. That was my first phone, and that was a brick. That was a freaking brick back then, and I was like but I wasn't allowed to text until I was in high school, which was really annoying. So I had a phone. You had a phone for like eight years of my life and didn't get text messages until I was like like a junior in high school.
Speaker 3: I was afraid that the text stuff would like per text charge you, So I think for the first year or two of having a phone, I was afraid to text.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in the beginning of the world. They did and it.
Speaker 4: Was like when he sent a text, can you imagine how how bigger bills would be right now?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I mean you just send like one really long email text, right like, Hello Dan, It's been so nice to talk to you.
Speaker 3: Game fucking sucked like writing.
Speaker 4: Also, I wasn't say. What I forget about is when you travel internationally, I'm like, am I allowed message and call people and whatnot? And it's like, oh yeah, you just use like WhatsApp or Wi Fi calling and it's like free. Like it's like, oh yeah, we live in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: WhatsApp with like I've only used it when I've gone like games Com or Japan or something with like your group, and oh just do WhatsApp? Like is that a much bigger thing overseas than it is here?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I used WhatsApp and Telegram to buy shrooms like that was that was the only time I ever used it. And now everybody listens. Yeah, and everyone who uses everyone who's like in Europe and like Asia, they use WhatsApp.
Speaker 3: Give this shroom guy a plug?
Speaker 4: Yeah, shout out to my shroom guy, Scott, that's name right in a few years. In fact, when we used to because you know, Northwest people like it's easy to find shrooms. And when I came home a couple of years ago and I was driving around our whole town, my dad was like, oh, man, like, I just hate how they keep building these apartments everywhere. I was like me too. He goes, you used to be able to pick good shrooms right here, and I was like, oh that. You don't care about gentrification. You just care about losing your good shroom piles.
Speaker 3: Okay, wild Like oh yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean come on, man, the climate there you go? Are you?
Speaker 3: I thought they were like Oregon in Washington or something.
Speaker 4: They're decriminalized now, ah, gotcha.
Speaker 1: Okay, you can still order them, but I could not imagine picking a random shroom on the ground and chomping it up. I buy everything, and it's like, this is one hundred milligrams.
Speaker 4: Listening stream guy went to college in an organic chemistry. Okay, I trust him.
Speaker 2: You're really this shroom guy.
Speaker 4: It's like when someone's like I studied psychology or I went to school for community, it doesn't mean anything to me. Is what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I got curious about shrooms again for a while because like, I've done stuff harder than weed three times, and they were all first semester of college, and the first two were shrooms and weed too. I did the weed I did, so I'm okay with weed. Now I'm a very anxious person typically, like weed I can typically deal with. But like mushrooms were like my first panic attacks ever, Like I never knew what a panic attack was until mushrooms. But I remember that first half being like, this is the best feeling I've ever had. I want I should do these all the time. And then it was like I'm in hell, so I was.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's me every day.
Speaker 1: So right around noon is where I freak out. Every day.
Speaker 4: I'm at capital of day and I'm like, I want to die.
Speaker 3: Actually it's just with my shrooms are just in general.
Speaker 4: Just in general, you know, I mean, four cookies on the stream, I'm gonna regret it the minute we're done.
Speaker 3: So I do have a curiosity about Like, Okay, I'm forty one now, it has been it was over half my life ago I did them the last time. I think I'm in a much better spot mentally and everything than I was back then, so like, but I still I've always there was that period after I had the panic attack mushroom stuff that like any like I had my wisdom teeth taking out, I didn't take any pain medication or anything for it.
Speaker 4: It's shrooms.
Speaker 3: Well, the idea of being high freaked me out so much, so like all my friends smoked weed all the time and the drugs, and like I was just so terrified of like even getting a whiff of it. But I am curious because it was really fun for that first half, and I'm I wonder if I would be able to like enjoy them now, if I kind of ease myself in.
Speaker 4: I think the shroom technology has advanced in the last twenty years.
Speaker 1: There's been great advancements in shrooms, and in fact, I think what's mostly interesting about like my partaking in this type of stuff now is that you can microdose with like full control. And I don't know your microdose experience, but like it's so fun to essentially have like so little that you're not actually high, but you'll be like my mood is elevated, and I feel so great in a social situation, microdocing shrooms can take away all your anxiety.
Speaker 4: My dude, microdose shrooms like for half the pandemic. And then I started streaming. I was like it changed my life.
Speaker 3: Question about that because like my understanding was that that was something you had to do like every day for a period of time. Where it's like my mom told me she has started doing it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I had like a hundred shroom caps.
Speaker 3: Okay, and did you do it every day like consistently? Yeah? Okay. Now, the way my mom describes it, and I don't know if she's really following the label correctly, is she will just do it like, oh, we were at the lake this weekend and I microdosed, and yeah, you don't have to.
Speaker 4: Do it every day. I just did, Okay, so.
Speaker 1: Every day for like tho chacters would recommend that you don't micro everything.
Speaker 4: I wasn't that long. I literally did it for I think maybe three weeks and then I like because I was like not working, and I was like fuck it. I got a bunch of shroom caps, Like I had a bunch of Birdingman and friends. They'd come back and they'd be like, do you want to leftover drugs? Like it was like a gift to me, and so someone gave me a bunch of shroom caps and it was really nice. It was very relaxing, you know, get a little bit of a body high, and then now I would just take them occasionally when I was like hang out with people.
Speaker 3: Is there a down to Like why wouldn't you just do it every day? If it's like, is there any downside to it?
Speaker 4: I mean not really, but I mean maybe I was like, maybe I shouldn't be going through all these shroom caps so quickly. I would just take a lot of baths. That was really it. It was just like every time I was on shrooms, I was like, you know what sounds great as a bath?
Speaker 2: Your water bill was through the room.
Speaker 1: Honestly, don't think that there's like many downsides to microdosing personally, like even for someone like me, Dan and you and I have talked about this before, but sometimes like if we do get high, you can get too high and that's actually very stressed.
Speaker 4: We can talk about this stuff on this podcast, oh podcast, Like no really, yeah, we're only talking about boring nerd stuff. Oh is boring nerd stuff to me?
Speaker 1: This is like to me more controllable than smoking pot. Like when I get high, I still am like, uh oh, don't go too hard because you'll get paranoid and you'll get really weird. When i'm microdose, I'm like, nothing.
Speaker 2: Bad can happen to me.
Speaker 1: Well, also, as long as you know your dosage.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Well weed's weird too, because at least with shrooms, you're like, oh, like I know exactly what this type of shroom will do to my body and how much of it to take. But even shrooms, even weeds, like do you want indicca, you want sativa? And then you're like, okay, what percentage of it is this? Like sometimes I'll get like a mixture or a hybrid and I'll be like, okay, this made me. This made me nauseous. This one gave me a head Like It's like same thing with gummies or like any kind of edible. I'm I'm like, I'm always very wary of it because I'm like, I don't know how this my body's gonna react to this. Usually it's always a good time, but sometimes I just get a headache, or sometimes it'll smell really bad, Like I'll smell the weed will like stick the smell of the intensity of the weed will just stick and I can still smell it the next day, and it just smells like a fart.
Speaker 3: True as far as it gets too high.
Speaker 4: Yeah, shroom doesn't smell like a fart. Okay, that's like if I get really strong weed, I can smell it when it's in the container.
Speaker 3: Still, I've been having that, Like myself is all like like I have half of this left now, and it's like all crusted in there, and I can smell it. So I can hear it bubbling and I can smell it, but no smoke comes out of there, and I I feel like I'm gonna I search for it. Yeah, I do. I hold the thing and it I can hear bubbling, but nothing comes out. I shoved a paper clip in there.
Speaker 4: Try to spoiled the top in water.
Speaker 3: I'm like an old person the top of the cartridge.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just the glass part, getting hot water to loosen it up. It worked. Maybe, don't listen to my advice.
Speaker 3: I mean, I've tried a lot of other stuff.
Speaker 4: You practice. It's like you got to decrystallize it, you know what I mean. I'll try that, yeah, yeah, and then you're gonna blow your house up because exploded.
Speaker 1: There you go, Lily six mice at your funeral. He was a good man.
Speaker 4: I had like, oh my, I'm not docs my shroom guy obviously, But the reason why I use Telegram and WhatsApp is like somebody like created a website where you could buy acid and shrooms and like all sorts of d MT, all sorts of stuff, and it would sell it as like T shirts and then you go on the Telegram and realize the T shirt was actually this thing, this thing. So you'd order these T shirts online and it would be actually shrooms, I know, and that's and there's a lot of them, Like this is like one of probably millions out there. But I was like all I can think goes, wow, that's beautiful. Drug. Drug dealing has really gone far.
Speaker 2: Did you get a T shirt too?
Speaker 4: No? When the shirts turn in there and like the shirts were like nice, they were like tied I shirts with like designs on them, and obviously they were just created as like a front. But then you'd have to Venmo some weird guy and then in the mail I would just get a box of shroom chocolates and like so.
Speaker 3: You don't get a T shirt.
Speaker 4: No, and I would be like great lack of T shirt though, you know.
Speaker 1: Very it just makes me like think of every time when you watch like super Troopers or something like that and they're like opening up the truck and there's like jars of apple sauce in these boxes or something, right like something that's like, yeah, I'm just I'm just an apple sauce salesman, like leave me alone. The apple sauce is a shit ton of drugs, you know. And it's just like in this front situation, they were like, we got another T shirt sale and a guy like Chuck some shrooms and like.
Speaker 4: Squeaky Kurds or whatever.
Speaker 1: He does sound like a mushroom guy who all so really rocks the sacks, which is so funny when you sorry, I'm just gonna.
Speaker 3: Say, yeah, mature, you go to a fire Escape summer store and get our T shirts.
Speaker 1: It's definitely not a front drugs I yeah.
Speaker 2: And in the Dead Mice a bunch of sh.
Speaker 4: Though technically fungus can grow. Fungus does grow from dead things, so technically there could be a shroom at some point in it's life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Plant the dead mouse in a pot of soil and from the dead mouse, the shrooms will grow and then you get mad high. I actually think that's a little beautiful. Like it is morbid and maybe fucked up, but like another part of it is like, my dude, like, if you're gonna we're.
Speaker 4: Not even halfway through this and we're talking about planting dead bodies to grow mushrooms.
Speaker 1: Dead mice in your house, why not star a shroom farm out of their corpses. In fact, I actually think that would be a really good will and like last will and testament is like don't burn me, which apparently takes a lot of fuel. Yeah, I've been like learning about this for some weird reason, which is like you know, like when you get uh what's it called, like flame flamed up into ashes whatever, And when you get flamed up into ashes, I'm forgetting high.
Speaker 6: In my extensive research, if you guys flamed up in ashes, they have to do it at a really high temperature or you smell like you your body stinks like burning flesh, and it like disrupts the.
Speaker 1: Town and the people nearby like yeah, down, it smells like dead dam like.
Speaker 4: A dead body factory. It's the body.
Speaker 1: So they incinerate you at a very high high temperature so that you go up real quick and there's no dead like burn skin smell.
Speaker 3: That makes sense. I would rather if I probably get cremated. I'd rather they do that than like su vid me, you know, right.
Speaker 1: But what I'm saying is is that that takes. But those are only two options. That is, like a really high temperature costs a lot of fuel, so it's not very environmentally friendly. But neither is burial because they put you in this like fucking box and they'll be like nothing can get in here. But it's like, isn't that the point is that, like eventually you decompose.
Speaker 4: My dad this is so random, but my dad, well he works at a Muslim cemetery. He's white and Catholic, but he works at a Muslim cemetery as like his retirement hobby, and.
Speaker 1: He like digs twenty five.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's dig's graves. That's his thing. He's an honorary Muslim, but that's his thing. That's literally his thing. It's like it's crazy, but he's like, yeah, I buried a baby today and I'm like all right, cool, like happy Tuesday. My parents are very morbid but he he was talking about how like Muslims like they don't coffins, like they just wrap the bodies and blankets and then they put them in the ground. And I'm like that's better for the environment. It is, but it's also like this is what, dad, do you go to therapy? And he's like, now, I just like doing this. I'm like, okay, all right, why he makes sense doing it? Yeah, he's been doing it for like ten years now.
Speaker 3: You said hobby and that kind of weirded me out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is his hobby. He volunteers because like, the guy who owns a cemetery is like very old and has dementia. My dad helped him out one day. And now ten years later, my dad's on the bluffed directors for Muslims and my dad I helped out.
Speaker 1: This guy with dementia. Turns out I was born to dig graves.
Speaker 4: Especially.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so he volunteered this. He's not getting paid for it.
Speaker 4: I mean I think he gets paid sometimes.
Speaker 3: But like that was like this is more sweet or concerning.
Speaker 4: It's a little bit of bull It's endearing but also spooky. But I also have very morbid way of thinking. So I'm like this makes sense. He's just acting out on this.
Speaker 3: Would it be environment good to like just like if they just threw your body in a and the ocean and let fish eat it, like that wouldn't cost any money, right, Like you're gonna eat it.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's always fascinating how it's like you guys watch Dexter.
Speaker 3: I've seen the first like four.
Speaker 4: He would just throw them in a bag in the ocean and always bothered me. Some'm like, God, what a waste? Like just what I mean, here's the thing. No one found the bodies. They found the bags. So it's like, if you're already gonna if you were planning on nobody seeing the bodies, why not just throw the bodies in there?
Speaker 3: Oh right, So what is the point so the fish can eat them?
Speaker 1: It's the point of the bag.
Speaker 4: The play of the bags? Is it for weight? Like it's just like if you knew no one was gonna find them, because it's like if they found a bunch of bats. They found the bags, and they're like the.
Speaker 1: Bodies float because the you know, ogin and the lungs and ships rocks.
Speaker 3: It's fine, just a bunch of rocks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, got pump them full of rocks before.
Speaker 4: You throw in the ocean. It's fine.
Speaker 1: I don't I agree though, I mean, I think that is also much more environmentally friendly than like putting them in a bag.
Speaker 4: But that's just where my mind. I was like, God, what a waste of bags and plastic. You could have just waste of bags murdering people. And I'm like, what all these bags, man, you're just polluting the ocean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they've got like one of those you.
Speaker 4: Know, some turtles bottle of things on them. I know you're murdering people, but you're you're also creating environmental waste.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think the most environmentally friendly thing is probably just dumping your body in the ocean, because the animals will get you. They will they will pick at you, and the crabs will get you, and they will they will like eat your bones, like every part of you will go.
Speaker 4: Back a risk. Remember risk the cats the cartoon, how she said she just wanted doesn't Yeah, she just want to give her house to her cats. That's the thing. When I'm like seventy, Like these cats will be dead before I die, hopefully. But if I'm like seventy years old and I have new cats, I'm like, just give them to my cats. My cats can eat me. No, give them food your dead body.
Speaker 3: I used to do a podcast with a wrestler named Biggie and he was he was adamant that when he dies, he wants to like just drive out to like a rural road and just you know, two people grab the arms, two people grab the legs and just kind of like toss them into a ditch and just like he's dead. He doesn't give a shit. Would that be illegal? Like if it was like if it was requested by the deceasion.
Speaker 4: It wasn't his will. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, can you just even if it's in their will, you can't do something illegal? And I have examples of this.
Speaker 3: But is it illegal to just put a body on the side of the road.
Speaker 5: Yes, it was, Yes, Yeah, you didn't kill them.
Speaker 3: He dies of natural causes.
Speaker 1: It's not about the fact that it's what he did or did not want. It's the fact that, like, society cannot have dead men on the sides.
Speaker 4: Of the ca because thinking about how many people, what if a lot of people requested that, then we just have so many dead men.
Speaker 1: Society does not allow for dead men to just be chucked over a bridge.
Speaker 4: Even dead women, though that's different, like we never question it.
Speaker 1: They have two thirds of a vote, like chrome in the ditch. I think like Niagara Falls is like this really famous place that I grew up near and I was always told as a child, a lot of people want to have their ashes scattered in the falls.
Speaker 2: Like they based bring them back up.
Speaker 1: They're like, put me in a tin can, chuck me over the edge. That's how I want to go. They want to be cremated and then thrown in just for the record, not the body, but like the remains. And it's illegal, and it's like on the website like you cannot put ashes in this water. Stop it, and they like basically prevent family members from throwing their loved ones ashes into the water.
Speaker 3: That's that's the code Grandma thing. Do you know about that? I only know this because of Mike Manati. I now work. I now own a company with the biggest Disney old possible. And your Code Grandma is a thing at Disney World where like people wet on like the Haunted Mansion ride or whatever, and so like if you hear Code Grandma at Disney, that means someone spread their ashes in the park.
Speaker 4: That's disgusting. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Like listen, just put my ashes in front of a taco bell. I don't care, like I'm going to share you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm dead.
Speaker 4: Figure out what you want to do. You want to like plant me as it, smoke me on a spliff, I don't care, you know, just do whatever you want. At this point, I don't care. Man, I'm out of here. I've done. I'm done making decisions like.
Speaker 1: Well, what's interesting is if you guys don't have a last will and testament, this can actually be used in testimonials to make sure that you do get what you want. Because it's nice time.
Speaker 2: Officially said it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, chuck me in the ocean. No cremation and nope, don't fucking just put me in a box, like, let me be decomposed. I want to give back to the earth for God's sake.
Speaker 4: Yeah, somebody put me in Elon Musk's tea so I can haunt his body, your.
Speaker 1: Whole your whole dead corpse is gonna come up with the I think the reason why his chest is so bareled is because he came up with the technology to stay alive.
Speaker 4: For too long. So I'm gonna be like, he's gonna be like two hundred years old when I die, And I'm like, can someone please let me haunt this motherfucker.
Speaker 1: Like he's he's got a blood void.
Speaker 4: When I die. Just make my ashes somehow affect billionaires. That's all I want. Just put me in their tea, let me hant. I'm sure I can haunt them in some way. Leave me on their front porch. Let it rat get to something. Just put it in something.
Speaker 2: Maybe stick that you upset somebody.
Speaker 4: Stick it in. Wait, put it in their water pipes. So when they turn on their bedet, my ashes go right in their asshole. That's it, That's what I want.
Speaker 1: There, you go, I'm gonna play your dead corpse in one of their like yacht engines. That way, when they turn it on, you'll just get mangled in there a corpse. They'll be like, wait, it's so hard to get her out of there. There's chunks everywhere.
Speaker 4: Also all my head, Tie, Mary can have it. There you go, there you go, you can hi ngel statue.
Speaker 3: There you go, yes, hell, yeah, Tie, that's fine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, perfect.
Speaker 1: You guys every day.
Speaker 3: Sure, let's talk about it.
Speaker 4: Let's talk about it. Let's do the thing.
Speaker 1: Welcome back. We are getting into the gaming section of the show, which is actually do that's that's I.
Speaker 2: Believe this is also exactly how Mike does it.
Speaker 1: I believe it's the gaming section of the show and we're gonna get into it. But Dan, you also came in and you were like, Mary got talk What did you want to talk to me about?
Speaker 3: When? When did I say that?
Speaker 1: Literally, when you came in, you were like, I got something, I got something?
Speaker 3: Oh no, it was one of my games that it's a game. I want to say, Well, we'll get to it. I want to suggest something.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, we'll get I understand you want to start with that.
Speaker 3: I could do that.
Speaker 1: I thought you found a third mouse quite frankly.
Speaker 3: No, no, I just have a game. I note like with confidence. I know you're going to like.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's start with it. I'm really cool.
Speaker 2: So you got you got a game for me?
Speaker 3: Wheel World? Have you heard of this?
Speaker 4: Tell wheel like a driving wheel Wheel?
Speaker 3: It's a it's a bicycling game called wheel World. Is it? Is it?
Speaker 4: Real world for bicycles?
Speaker 3: So I don't know what that was an intentional thing, But every time I've been telling friends about this. They've been like, oh, the wheel World, you know, it sounds like that, but no, it's it's just called the wheel World and is the best way I can describe it is Breadth of the Wild Burnout Paradise, which I don't know if that does anything to your brains like it does to mine, but I like the sound of that a lot. And it's a shorter game. It's like five six hours, miss seven or eight if you want to, like, you know, one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: I love a short game.
Speaker 3: It is. Look it up. Look at the art style. It's really nice cell shaded art style. This track is incredible, just as very kind of like low fi, really chill art style. It is open world bicycling game where you were going around and the Breath of Wild thing is apt because you are going around to like bell shrines. So you're finding these shrines, you go up, you ring the bell. It you know, kind of fills in part of the map like in Breath the Wild, and it'll show you different different races and things. You can meet characters that will show you where different bike parts are. So basically you're just going around. You're kind of like outfitting your bike. With different gear and things like that. There's only like four stats. It doesn't go like too deep into it or anything. But yeah, it's just really chill races. You know, you'll find like riders on the road and certain ones will be glowing and if you ring your bell you can do on the spot one on one race against them. And it is it's just this kind of breath of the wild, expanding the map, exploring open world situation where you're always on the bike. You can hit why to kind of get off and walk your bike and talk to NPCs and talk to like you know, shop owners and things like that. But it's very, very straightforward. It's by the mess Hof, the team that did Nithog and Ninthog too. Yet I came out to as of this recording it came out. Oh so yeah it's out now.
Speaker 2: And Anna Produce published it.
Speaker 4: Wow. It was good.
Speaker 3: It's awesome. It's really really good. And like you'll get like certain like legendary parts parts for your bike that will give you things where it's like, well, okay, you've got a boost meter, which I like any game of the boost meter, and legendary parts will make it so you like kind of passively, are always getting boosts and things like that, and during the races and stuff, your name is Kat. It was girling Cat Kat, and like you know, there's like four objectives per race where it's like, okay, beat this time, get top three, and then it's like get all the floating letters and finish and the floating letters.
Speaker 1: That's actually that's exactly though. Like what I was telling you, I really like to do in the Mario Kart Open World, which is I was like getting those power up things and then I was doing whatever it is that they said I had to do, which was usually get to the end in this much time. It was very difficult and challenging, and I would have to do them like three or four times to get them done in time.
Speaker 2: And it gave me a time too, which I love.
Speaker 1: This sounds like I love little mini challenges that change it up all the time, so I'm never like getting bored or stagnant with the gameplay. It's just like, yeah, we're mixing it up. Get your bike to this area, go through these hoops or rings in time like this is absolutely up my alley, Dan. It's so cool.
Speaker 3: And it's one of those games too where it's like the soundtrack is it's not just great for like, while I'm playing the video game, it's like I actually want I was like looking up the artists and stuff. Who did the soundtrack. The main one I think is June joo N. It's a songwriter from I Forget Where, But just incredible, really just chill soundtrack. Just a great kind of before bed and just relax, get a little high or something. Ride your bike around Mary. You will yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm gonna go a Macro Dosett you know. Oh yeah, yeah, I have a fucking night.
Speaker 2: I think this looks great.
Speaker 3: You will love this game. I think this seems like a merry Monday night special.
Speaker 1: This is a Merry Monday special for sure. I also love that you can customize your bike. It looks like you can get like little silly bikes that look like a horse or one of looks like a person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's stuff to where it's like one of it's a banana. But like, you know, if it looks really cute, it's awesome. So you'll outfit your bike based on like this is more of a downhill race. This is one that's got more kind of hairpin turns. And you can kind of mixmatch the parts as needed. Again, short game, but just a delight for every moment I've played it, so can I.
Speaker 4: Oh they didn't yep, yep.
Speaker 1: Nice, that's great, thank you for this wreck. I actually maybe just because I've I've worked with Annapurna for so long. I actually got a little package in the mail and it was a wheel World package. This one it is that one like with the bottle and the chocolates and stuff like that. Did it have a code in there?
Speaker 4: They sent you chocolates?
Speaker 3: I didn't see the code.
Speaker 1: I just got to send me real world chocolates like they have chocolates.
Speaker 4: On the sending me pins and send me chocolates. Those are more useful, Okay.
Speaker 3: I trying to. I have to wait till my face is not fucked up. But I'm looking forward to the chocolate.
Speaker 1: You can't just mung on them like you don't have to chocolate. Yeah, do that mean melt them in your mouth?
Speaker 3: I guess I could, right. I don't know if you're supposed to get like chocolate particles in your open wound.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you probably don't want to get chocolate.
Speaker 4: I will know chocolate if I can't I'll melt chocolate my coffee.
Speaker 3: Oh, that sounds pretty good this game. Check it out.
Speaker 4: I got sugar and be on crack at the same time.
Speaker 1: You know, yes, this looks great. Thank you for the recommendation. I love I love especially just like a nice.
Speaker 2: In game Merry Monday games. So this is something I probably will play.
Speaker 1: It's hard to have so many there's so many games right now to play on Merry Mondays. I do feel a little overwhelmed with how many games that I'm playing right now. I spent my weekend playing Peak and I absolutely love it, and I fully recommend this game after playing it for like I want to say, like fourteen hours literally in a weekend. I just played it for almost eight hours each day.
Speaker 2: It was so much fun.
Speaker 3: It's tremendous. So I've done a couple Have you done it with the mod that lets you like uncap the player count with players on Giant Bombers.
Speaker 2: It's so fun, it's incredible.
Speaker 3: It's like one of the better, like prox Chad multiplayer games.
Speaker 4: I think I have to play it. Finally, I have friends that keep asking me to play it, and I'm like, one of these days.
Speaker 2: It's really, really it's a joy.
Speaker 1: And what's so fun about like having so many people play is like you'll be climbing and maybe your friend will take a different route, but I'll hear them in the distance scream, and I'll walk their body like kind of just pass by, and then they'll just disappear and you know that they fell to their death. It's extremely funny.
Speaker 3: Or you'll hear the like you know, for those who haven't seen it or played it, it's basically like you know, by default four player co op, you know, prox chat and c flimbing, a procedurally generated mountain that changes, is it every week? It's a new mountain twenty four hours, oh every twenty four hours, and I think it's it's four biomes there, it's numerous different biomes and it's just you have a staminameter, you got different things you can eat. And the fun part is that doesn't tell you any of that stuff. So every time I played, someone has seen it like, oh what does this like green crispberry do? And then you eat it, it's like, oh, I'm poisoned. Oh shit, I'm dying. And then when they're dieing, yeah, the voice cuts out and it's like, well, I guess I got to carry this corpse with me up the hill and try to revive it so much.
Speaker 4: Any Like, I don't have enough friends to play video games with. I've always been It's no, I'm dead serious. I've always been like a solo gamer. And then I get really, oh it is sad.
Speaker 7: I'm just laughing at it, like, well, it looks like you have to be my friend now, okay, Like the I mean because I never really played multiplayer games and really got into him the last few years, obviously from streaming, but like almost every person I know, like my friends are playing Peak a month ago and now I'm like, okay, I'm done with night Rain.
Speaker 4: I should play this game now. I'm like, oh, we're not playing anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, is the shelf life of this stuff, like you know, does does go up and down like shorter than it did before, because I feel like, specifically with somebody's like Divers too, okay, hell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Hell Divers is multiplayer. You need friends for Hell Divers.
Speaker 4: No, I play with random Chinese kids now because nobody plays it anymore. Everyone's like I'm playing Marble Ribles. I'm like, I'm not playing Marble ribles. I'm playing Hell Divers.
Speaker 1: I refuse to play Marble bribles.
Speaker 3: Marble bibles do things like Repo like stick around, Like I feel like among us stuck around for a while, but like Repo definitely had It's like a moment in the sun. But like, is that still a big thing or do people just kind of move on to the next I think so.
Speaker 4: I think mainly for like streaming, I'm not so much like that. Yeah, I mean I feel like that when most people want to play games is for streaming. I'm like, I don't always want to. I'm high as fuck and I don't want to show my face. So how about you guys stream and I'll just not I would.
Speaker 1: Join somebody else's stream to play Peak especially. I just think it lends itself. I don't think this would be a very fun solo experience. The joy of this is no.
Speaker 4: It sounds like reaching out to your.
Speaker 1: Friends, helping them up, getting them. You can have different facial expressions. It's so it's just so silly to me.
Speaker 4: Is it really on stream?
Speaker 3: I think it is right now. I'm sure it'll come those that's interesting.
Speaker 1: I loved it.
Speaker 3: What we all do obviously it's good to have a game that is great for streaming, but like to just the general populace, you know, like like people that are not streaming, they're not recording, they're just planning to hang out with their friends. Do these things have legs or is it just kind of like are we kind of in this bubble and we're seeing it because of what we do.
Speaker 1: I think that they have short shelf lives. I will admit, like I don't think people played Lethal Company for more than six months, and I feel like that kind of did fall off among us. Was this unique thing that just like lasted for years, but it was also during a pandemic. And yet that you have to come in perspective that we were looking for people during that time.
Speaker 4: Also, the games aren't in depth enough to last for that long. Like the problem with the Hell Divers is that they didn't really offer a lot and now they're like, oh, now we have all this DLC and shit, and it's like, well now no one cares.
Speaker 1: People are gone, Yeah, you have to.
Speaker 4: Like right that. It's like I beat all the night Lords, Now what do I do. It's like like games like Fortnite, Marvel Rivals, they have like seasons and like they're constantly putting out new content. But all these like little one off indie games, it's just they're not meant to be played for years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why aren't you making six rounds of DLC Peak so that I can constantly evolve?
Speaker 4: Is yet? Yeah? Peaks?
Speaker 1: Give me there's I mean, the biome's help.
Speaker 2: I will say.
Speaker 1: The original biome is like really simple, and once you get through it, it's usually like imagine just like honestly, like any standard rock mountain. It's not special, it doesn't have anything fancy. But the second biome was jungle and vines and thorns, and it had different trees and it had just different stuff like that. It had rains, so you do like if you climb when it's raining, that's not good, and like way more stuff to interact with. And then the third biome is uh snow and so you can freeze to death and you can get cold and the wind blows like crazy. It's really fun to like experience the different biomes.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna be really mad if you don't invite me to play now.
Speaker 3: I feel like every time there's one of these games, you're always the one that's like, hey, we should do this together, we should play this, we should do have Patroon bonus. And we're like, yeah, that sounds like a great idea, and then we just can't find the time to do it.
Speaker 1: I schedule.
Speaker 4: It's really tough with it. It's like it's like if I would make a joke about being single and it's going to be my dams like I'm single too, I'd be like, that's great for you.
Speaker 1: Bye.
Speaker 4: Anyway, I'm gonna go to see over here and you can be single over there. I know you're not offering me, Okay, you have.
Speaker 1: To make an extra effort to do it. And like for my Peak at least, like I'm I'm around streamers all day long and I wasn't invited to Peak. I had to schedule it and organize it myself. I like texted some people my health everybodies that I haven't talked to in a bit, and was like, hey, let's play peak. They downloaded it that night because that's the kind of people they are, and we had so much fucking We played this, honest to god, until three point thirty in the morning.
Speaker 2: I could not stop. How many people can you play so tired for?
Speaker 1: But it sounds like you can hack it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe I can.
Speaker 4: Just maybe I should just do one stream of it when I'm done with Clear Up Scar because I'm almost done with that game. Unfortunately.
Speaker 3: Cool I want to hear about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we're gonna get to that. Yes, but damn, what were you gonna say?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah, it is for But like the mod is apparently super easy because only one person has when install it, because like I've done like the Lethal Company step and everything, where everyone has to install a thing and put a folder in a drive or whatever, but like one person, like the host, has to get the character thing and you can do with like up to at least eight people. That's what we did last week in Drive Bomb, and it's a blast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's an absolute it's an absolute blast. Even without that, just four people hanging out trying to get to the tipity top of this mountain. There's like a couple things that I don't think they're like mistakes or anything. I do think it's intentional, but I think it's a little frustrating because the items that you get are also randomized. You really genuinely will need a rope or you will need like some ability to climb a space that you don't you can't really get up without it, and it's and because the items are randomized, you might just get flares, which are the most useless, worthless item in the entire game. And so it's like sometimes I will like open up a suitcase and get a worthless item that I don't want, and it's like, all right, we just like start over and like die because this is not a good round.
Speaker 3: Have you found a use for the trumpet outside of it being funny?
Speaker 1: No, it's so funny though, really funny. Yeah, does it have an actual use?
Speaker 3: No, That's what I'm asking you, because like I love seeing it just because it's funny, but like I've never seen an actual use for it that one.
Speaker 1: At least, its use is that it's funny, Like the flair isn't funny to me, And I don't think it has like any joke purpose. I have never laughed so hard than to watch my friend fall down the cliff while playing their trumpet, and it was like that's so funny, and like saying to like all your friends, like don't worry, guys, I got this. And you're the one that like takes the leap of faith to get top, only to like fall to your death. I think what's what I really enjoy about this game is there's other games I played where like dying is really frustrating or it's annoying and you feel like you've like wasted time. But this game has a really nice death sequence where you just become a ghost that floats near everybody and so you still get to hang out with them and possibly even annoy them, and I just and they've solved for it, still have it.
Speaker 4: It's goofy. That's why I never got in the games, like any of the big like third or first person shooter games, is that they're not goofy enough for me. And when I'm dead, I'm like, oh, I'm just hanging out, okay. I think that's what Hell Divers got for me, is that it was so goofy, and then on top of it, you would just keep getting respond until you're like, oh yeah, you never just not play the game.
Speaker 3: But with this, it's like the perfect mix of like it is goofy, because when you die, you were this like floating tadpoles sperm looking thing with like the face your custom face on the ghost. Yeah, but then you can also, like, you know, if people are separated. I was doing the thing where like I would die and I would go talk to Jan and he'd be like, tell Grub, I'm stuck here. I need the rope. Okay, I'll be right back, and my ghost to fly over the ground back Jandy's roope. Go over, he's over there. Go on, look at your left, you know, so you can actually kind of contribute as a ghost. Still, you're such.
Speaker 1: A useful ghost that I feel like you feel like you've wasted your time useful. And if you can convince your friends like get to the top, you can do it. You can do it, but you can bring back everybody at the top of the mountain and then you can do the next biome together and so like. Because of that, as long as one person makes it, and that's happened so many times, we were able to see like I think is the final biome, which is like the Lava Biome, and it's really fun and scary and I just think it's fantastically constructed and it is silly. And the devs were saying that it was like one of those games where they were just like making it during a game jam.
Speaker 2: But they thought it was so fun, and I.
Speaker 1: Was like, that's a good game studio. That's a good developer group that are like this is silly and fun, like let's build this, build this bitch out, Like I think that's awesome.
Speaker 3: I've seen the devs posting that, like they made another Crab's Treasure and like that's it's like almost almost like a Soul's Like you know, it's like a real ass game and there's like loll the stupid bullshit we made.
Speaker 4: Did you ever play it? Yeah?
Speaker 3: It's good. I like it.
Speaker 4: Did you ever use the gun?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: I never got that you could just put a handicap on the game where you just have a gun and you one shot everything and it's like a huge gun. So you're just tiny little crap and the gun's like this big and you're like not even holding it's just floating on you and you just one shot everything in the.
Speaker 3: Game a human gun, like a glossy like.
Speaker 4: An actual human gun, and it looks so stupid, and so it's just one click in the menu. Were like, the Soul's part's too hard, Just give me the gun and it just one shot your way for the whole game.
Speaker 3: I think they get it. I think I like that team, and.
Speaker 1: I think they get it. I think they understand. So that's a good one.
Speaker 4: But going Under one, right, Going Under, Yeah, that was the That was the the first of their studio game that I knew about, where you're the girl and you're in the office and you got to basically fight your boss.
Speaker 1: I didn't play this, but I did see this, but I didn't play it.
Speaker 4: That was Yeah, that's how I knew them. Do you? But you know a game I'm talking about.
Speaker 3: I've not seen this before.
Speaker 4: Going Under game, and pretty sure it's what's called yea yeah, yeah, how going Under? Yeah, it was like a kind of like a platformer, but you're like an office worker and you'd use like pencils and erasers to like fight like little evil office workers. I'm going to write, that's just very this is very goofy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I bet you. They made this like while they were working at their like official studio, and they were like, I hate working a desk job, I hate companies.
Speaker 2: Let's quit and make some crap.
Speaker 4: I really like their basically like their art style. Yeah they got that. Uh the Nickelodeon vibes to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Peaks definitely got that too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like Another's Crabs, Treasure was not that long ago. In fact, i'm looking at it, really it was last year fifth, twenty twenty four. Like they made this game within a year of their last game.
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Going Under came out I think in twenty twenty one too, and then yeah, they're they're bill knit nice. Yeah. I knew about Going Under because my friend David, who did my anime sticker art, he did the official art for them too, so he he worked with the art director and then that's how I played the game, and the game was really good.
Speaker 1: You're obviously very well connected in the game space, Lisa. I have to talk to you about a game that Dan and I have been playing for some time now, but you've been also talking about it, Claire Obscure. It sounds like you've been digging into this game for a little bit. Tell us about your experience with Claire Obscure.
Speaker 4: Well, we're I think we're Dan. Have you beaten it?
Speaker 1: Yes, but we won't do spoiler casts because I haven't because married we're in act three.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was immediately. The whole reason why I even usually start games is because I like to learn about weird gaming history, and someone's like, you should play Claire Obscure because I've been playing a lot of turn based games lately. Unfortunately, Bosso, they were like the soundtrack is phenomen because they found this guy off Reddit, and I was like, what, like someone told me that, and they're like, it's a French studio is their first game. It's like and I remember seeing the trailer like months ago, but like within the first hour of the game, I was crying and I was like, Okay, I haven't cried from a video game in a very long time. And obviously I'm I'm known as the Perry Queen, which I hate that. But when I have people that I don't even talk to you message me saying you have to play this game because you'd love the combat system and it's turn based, I'm like, okay, we hate each other and you're texting me, so I guess I need to play this game. And yeah, I've been obsessed with it and now I'm at a part where it's like I'm getting close to the end, but I don't want to get to the end yet, so I'm just doing all the side stuff and it's like I haven't been locked in like this in a very long time.
Speaker 3: Now, are you? Because I wanted to do that when I got to Act three, because you know, you definitely can spend your time going around leveling up and all that stuff. But like all those chromatic bosses and everything, I would go to them, and I was probably around like level fifty ish with all my characters, they would still just whoop my ass like first turn, like how are you approaching those things? In Act three?
Speaker 4: Yeah, when they were one shotting me. What I did is I went to the Dark Shores. I learned the pattern of those big spooky guys because you'd get like five hundred thousand like experience point and I would just fight them like four times, and I'd level up ten levels and then i'd go to the Endless Tower and learn the patterns of all those guys and then from there now I'm just like able to do most things.
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, I feel like I didn't fuck with much. Like it'd probably be a good place to grind.
Speaker 1: I mean, you don't have an RPG history to you, but like the classic is, it's like if you can't kill stuff, you have to grind.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And like I say, you know how to grind, and I hate grinding, but I was like, where can I go where I get? Like I and I'm also like an anti googler, like I'm very like pretentious, like I'm not gonna look anything up. But I was playing and it's weird because the difficulty curve goes way up in Act three, but all you have to get is to level like sixty, which is really fast. You can level up really fast in that game, which I think is fascinating because usually don't you reach like a high level in an RPG. It's like I have to kill like thirty enemies to get to the next level. But yeah, once you get to like level sixty, and you're like, oh, I can actually play comfortably now the danger signs start to go away when you start to visit places.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the danger thing. Yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: I would go to the last part of Back two and I would just go and just do a couple grinding in through there, and they come out and be like, now I'm killing it and my bills are insane at this point.
Speaker 1: Who's like, uh, who's like your damage dealer, who's like your defender, who's like your tank?
Speaker 4: Well, I got all the pick those that are like second chance double heel uh like play first off. Mine is looney looney mael are the two like big power doers. But then I started eating everyone out and now all of my characters have like a good they move set, except for Verso is shockingly my least favorite, dably my second favorite.
Speaker 3: Oh I hate I never used can unlock anything thing and all that ship. Yeah, I never really messed with him. What I did first, I got Versato a good spot where it's like all of his base attack stuff and be like, oh, you do a double attack and go again afterwards.
Speaker 4: But you gotta do the elemental hits, and then you gotta do the elemental damage. And then with with my l you gotta do the void attack and you gotta get her in the in the what was the stance Virtuoso? The Virtuosa stance, Yeah, virtuo don't I'm not French anyway, but.
Speaker 1: What he read, I try to cram the French into you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I would have them in my party, and then I would have Monaco as like the third character, just to get the leveling up and then unlock all the skills. And then once you get enough skills I think I'm only missing one skill like Monica box, that's all I gotta say.
Speaker 3: Okay, with the wheel thing and everything is that like yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, just make sure you got one skill in there for each part of the wheel, so whatever you can, and then you try to realize like oh, like like his big like elemental damage. If you have it on the right wheel, it does some does some good shit. But yeah, I'm even out with everyone now.
Speaker 3: I like to seel a lot like it. At first, it seemed a little overwhelming with the Foretel stuff and everything, but once figured out, it's not that bad at all.
Speaker 1: Once you figure it out, She's pretty powerful. Also, she does damage no one else does.
Speaker 4: All the girls are they're like the badasses. Monica is more like a support character, but he has a lot of attacks that can attack all characters. So it's like, oh, you just find one elemental of each and it's like, oh, this this enemy, he don't like earth damage, so you just put like heavy earth damage on all enemies and then there you go.
Speaker 1: So I couldn't agree more. His game is like truly like badass ladies the game. Everybody in this game is just like so powerful and so important.
Speaker 2: And so badass as a girl.
Speaker 1: It's really cool to like go through these phases with them and watch them like do these incredible things together.
Speaker 2: And there is a.
Speaker 4: Horror there's a harem of women going after verso versus trying and they're like, no.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's that. Uh, there's like a trope for that where yeah, in like anime, there's like a dude with three girls and.
Speaker 4: I like the harem harem and it's like, and that's how I don't like Final Fancy. I'm gonna be that person. He's like not a final fan.
Speaker 1: I did play No you was getting really well here guy, Yeah.
Speaker 4: File Fantasy six and it was great. But then I realized I got to a point in the game where I thought I beat it, and I only went halfway through, and I said, fuck this game. But I beat Krona Trigger for the first time this year, and that does everything I love about g RPGs or turn Base, like I don't have to grind. It's very easy to understand, like if my main party character dies, I can still use my backup characters, Like that's why I heye about for five or Persona is that if he dies, so does everyone else, Like that's bullshit. But like Claire up Spirits, like if your party dies, you can use your backup party to try to save the day. So that's why I made sure everyone was even leveled.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm curious. You mentioned Final Fantasy six and like, growing up, I could not stand JRPGs, and as I got older, I wanted to go back and like everyone talks like they're the best game ever. I've started Final Fantasy six like three times, and every time it's just slow as hell to start. I always bounced off really quick. But like Chrono Trigger, I reviewed the DS version back when it came out, and I was like, oh shit, this game's actually like I really liked Krona Trigger. What is it that? What am I missing about Final Fantasy six? Or like, what is the thing that Liken you played him recently? Like what does Corona Trigger do better than Final Fantasy six?
Speaker 4: Felt like it's like a passion project of like three incredible like game developers, and like Toriama too was involved with it, and then Final Fantasy Like, people are gonna hate me for this. I never played Final Fantasy seven. Growing up. I was a Nintendo person, so I missed out on a lot of PlayStation games. So I played the remake as my first File Fancy and I was like, this feels very corporate. Like I was like that was the word I came up with. And everyone's like, you don't understand, like this is the most amazing. They put so much up, Like this feels gross after a while and it's so long, And I was like, and I don't really like Cloud and like Tifa's relationship with him, and like Era's relationship. I was like, I was not a fan of I don't like cat boys that much either, Like like you're a child, like I had to grow up from anime. I'm like, listen, you're a child's soldier. Why do you look like you work at Hollister?
Speaker 3: Like I just it is Cloud a cat boy?
Speaker 4: What are the I mean it's a cat boy? He looks he looks like a cat. Yeah. It's like every like even the old people in File Fancy seven look like male model babies, like babies, like the old people just like they're just like botoxed, you know.
Speaker 3: What I mean, Like like Goku a cat boy.
Speaker 4: No to me, Twink is what I'm trying.
Speaker 3: To say, equals cat boy, Like.
Speaker 4: I love Claire obscure because it's like everyone is like beat up and like dirty, Like it's like.
Speaker 1: Every animation after a fight and it looks like they're about to die.
Speaker 4: Shit. And like my only exception is like like Leon from like Resident Evil because Resident Evil's so goofy w. He's like I gotta go kill some zombies now, you know. But like File Fancy, it's like Cloud is like I'm just so traumatized that I can't be nice everyone. I'm like, okay, but you still put gel in your hair every morning for thirty minutes.
Speaker 1: Like I'm not haating you, seriously, I'm traumatized.
Speaker 4: I'm just so traumatized. And he has like eye patches on like so it's like it's a hard cell for me. Like I loved File Fantacy sixteen because it wasn't turn based and like Clive was just like a dirty cat boy but he was like hot and like bury and like beat up. But like yeah, like it was It's just hard for me to get a follow Fancy because I'm just like you guys just all look like K pop stars, Like.
Speaker 3: Like outside of sixteen, did the series? Like has have they gone outside of that? You think?
Speaker 4: Or is it all really No, That's why I don't play anime style games like I like Persona five, Like that was the whole reason why I got a PS four to begin with. But it's like I knew they were like in high school, and it's got way more of like an anime vibe to it, which I was okay with, but like most of the time, it's like I can't listen. I want my I want snake. I need my man to look like he smells like the dead rats in your apartment, you know what I mean, Like yeah, or your house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm dirty.
Speaker 5: I want I'm filthy, and I give I give looney, you know, the benefit of doubt.
Speaker 4: She does have those la lip flip. They did give her that in the game, and I was like, listen, she's about to die in a year. She can look as hot as she wants, okay, Like she.
Speaker 1: Got work done because this is her last.
Speaker 4: I'm like, this bitch has work done.
Speaker 1: Okay, she chose to serve.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we gotta stop the garage.
Speaker 1: They do look good. I mean I don't want them to look too fucked up. I just think they like clairebs gear like rode the line between like let them be dirty, let them be disgusting. But they're all super cute, Like they're all like cute little characters, and I think they did a good job making everybody fun to look at.
Speaker 2: Even Ska is like super fun to.
Speaker 4: I want to ask. I want to ask you a tattoo. I'm like, I love him.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm gonna get a tattoo of a rock and then we can just hang out together.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I just think Claire and also having like the ability to parry and dodge. I haven't dodged once in the game. I've just been pairing everything. I think having that ability like makes it more interactive because term based the reason why people hate is that every fight feels like a drag. But at least in Claire, obscurity doesn't feel like that because it's just oh interactive, and because you have the option to actually block every attack, it's like, oh, it gives me something to do in a pattern to learn because.
Speaker 3: Most different way, like the Mario Luigi games, like those RPGs, like.
Speaker 4: The the like the Super Mario rpg.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like the DS and GBA like Mario and Luigi Ones.
Speaker 4: No, I mean I have I did play the Super Mario RPG.
Speaker 3: Like that one's great, but like.
Speaker 4: From Superintendo, but not the Mario and Luigi ones.
Speaker 3: No, those are so fucking good. And even though I hated j RPG's growing up, those are the ones I like because of the same reasons you were just mentioning, because they are giving you like kind of in the middle of battle. You're not just selecting something from a menu and watching something happen. It is very like you can dodge stuff, you can make things do more damage and everything like, and they're funny as hell, like those Mario Luigi games are incredible.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there isn't much. There's a little bit of humor and clear obscure, but I don't care about it.
Speaker 3: There's some it picks its spots. It's mainly just like random like NPC interactions and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, French French, the Friend and sharn't known for their comedy. I feel like they're like everyone vill die and it's just like I may like.
Speaker 4: It, but they do have mimes and they do have bagattes.
Speaker 1: So I hate that fucking mime. I hate that fucking mime. I hate that enemy. It's so hard to kill that mime.
Speaker 3: I never killed the Mime and I never see me.
Speaker 4: I learned the attacks, I learned the patterns.
Speaker 3: It was the first enemy I ran into, and it just would my ass And like I feel like every time I saw Mime, it would just like jump out from behind a tree, one shot me, and then I would avoid him the rest of the game. I never killed them.
Speaker 4: And even if you.
Speaker 1: Learn the attacks, just to defend myself for a second, I did learn his fucking attacks. And he is so hard to just take down, yep, because he put the first thing he does is put up a shield. He puts up this like fake brick wall because that's what mimes do, because they're so fucking funny. And everything I was doing did like fifty damage. As you guys know, everything in that game is like a million health. So it just it took forty minutes for me to wear this mime down.
Speaker 2: I just hate them.
Speaker 4: Monaco gets a move where you can damage through shields and it's a high in physical damage and it does Yeah. See ah, you gotta be like me, just unlock everything and just study it and then be like I'm still bad at the game.
Speaker 2: It's why I don't like these types of games.
Speaker 1: But I do like Clapscua, but like, oh, these games are so exhaustingly like where it's like, well you have to know that you need to get her to burn them, and then it puts what's your fucking face? And then the guy has like a mark that like if he burns it, he does like actually, it's like so like re read a book, like just let me hit them.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Also, I'll just show you what I got because one time, like I figured it out, was like that was nice about streaming it is I'd be like I'm allowing some backsey gaming and they'd be like, equip this move and this move, just use those. I'm like, what the fuck? Like I did the the Stettondall move of of ma L. It's the toughest move in the game. It's like it just like one shots these chromatic enemies and like what you.
Speaker 3: Put on the thing that lumier that makes it so you can go over nine nine nine?
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh I don't think you can do I can, Yeah, you can't play the game without that. And then there.
Speaker 1: Obviously lovely and a really good gamer, but I also think that you know this game too much and I think you're kind of you're a bit snotty about it.
Speaker 4: Well, you're the thing I'm I'm like, there is a time like this year has been really rough as far as like I've been traveling so much ever since I Bala, it's been tough to like play a bunch of games, like I wish I was up to date on game now that I do, like more journalism stuff I do, But like I'll get locked into a game and I'll just like that is my goals. Just I have to do everything in that game, and then I ruined my life.
Speaker 1: You're presenting claim Scare is crazy.
Speaker 4: I'm getting there.
Speaker 1: I can't believe it. I mean, I'm very impressed by you, and uh that's probably probably yellow deep down inside. But you're also very addicted to a couple games like obviously, Claire ob Sciar takes a lot of hours, but I think one of the games that takes like the most hours is elden Ring. And you've been telling me that you've been burning through night Rain, which is psychotic as well, So tell me about your experiences through elden Ring.
Speaker 4: I mean, like, I did you play night Rain.
Speaker 1: I am not a good enough gamer for night Rain. I'm just gonna admit that very openly and take a slice of humble pie.
Speaker 4: Listen. I kind of cheated with that because I love elden Ring. But I started playing the game, I was like, I'm terrible at this. And then I got hired to do like a night Rain like sport casting thing and it was like six night Rain professionals and I just watched what they did and I mimic it every time.
Speaker 1: That's cool. That's actually really cool.
Speaker 4: We're just saying, oh, they go here and then they go here, because it's like it's not you're not playing it like elden Ring, where you're like skilled at a specific build. You're playing it like like kind of like Fortnite, like you're like, we gotta get this thing because this this enemy will give you this power, this enemy will be this power. It's like you have fifteen minutes until the first night Lord, and so you're just rushing. But the problem is that I have to play with a lot of randoms because From Software hasn't done cross platform yet, which is insane to have a multiplayer game. What are you, Nintendo? But it's just like it's like, how are you gonna have this cross platform? This multiplayer game not be cross platform. So all my friends are playing on Steve and I'm playing on PS five, right.
Speaker 3: Are they sad?
Speaker 4: I don't know. But there's also no voice chats. Every time I play with Randos. It's like the Spider Man meme where it's like who's the leader.
Speaker 3: Who's leading at yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and and so it's like you just wait for someone to mark the first castle and then you're like that person's the leader. But sometimes they take places you don't want to go, and now I've gotten really good. The problem is is like every run is just randomized. So it's like you may think like, okay, I just got to get like a good electric weapon or lightning weapon, like I get to do fire weapon. You don't know exactly what weapons you're gonna get unless you have like a room that tells you what treasures in what areas. But yeah, it's a lot. I mean it's fun because it's like forty five minutes, like a basic multiplayer game is forty five minute run, and then it's like cool, I got my souls fixed for the day and now I can move on with my life.
Speaker 3: I just I've been I have not touched it yet, despite Elden Ring being like one of my favorite games ever, and I think it's And tell me if I'm way out base here, because like, the thing I love about elden Ring is like I've never been that like Securo guy that can you know, parry, and I'm really good at these games. I'm not that guy.
Speaker 4: Like you don't parry at all in this game. It's impossible.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, well, I mean I just to say that, like I'm not good at from grams. I like them, I respect them deeply, But like elden Ring, the thing that I loved about it was the discovery aspects. It's the same way I liked Breath of the Wild, where it's like I'm kind of plopping into this world and I just stumble into like oh my god, klid, this is fucked up, or like I open this treasure chest and I'm across the map and like that type of stuff. Seeing the breadth of the game. It's not the moment to moment combat because I'm not great at that, but I can cheose it, i can level up and stuff like that. Is this game not for me? If that's what I like about elden Ring.
Speaker 4: I think the discovery part of this game is the best part. Oh okay, yeah, but it is all the same map. You just have to find the right treasures and the right builds, and I like that that it's kind of like just elden Ring packed into this tiny thing. Everyone's at the same level when you start out, and you're just like, Okay, don't kill any little enemies, go for the great bosses. Kill a great boss, you get the option of three different weapons or one like power up, grab that one, go to the next boss, and so it's really just like a mini boss rush. But the discovering part of like being like, oh, in this cave, let's see what you can get out of here, that's the cool part. And they do like Shifted Earth where it's like discover the secrets of the underground city and so you run through, but it's definitely like you have there's no time to parry and learn how to play the game. It's like you're just going in. You're just slashing. And the difficulty is like Matt with your level two, like the highest level and Get is fifteen and you start at level one.
Speaker 3: So is that a persistent thing or do you start at level one every time you.
Speaker 4: Start a level one every time, like you always start at the same level, so you just have to make sure you have a good team or you just have to be able to know where you want to go and where to go. And I like it. I don't know. It is weird. It's hard to explain because it's not like elden Ring. It's not like a Soul's game where it's like I'm gonna start off with my little Katana and do a Dex build. It's like, no, bitch, you got six characters. Each one of them has a certain build. You just gotta choose one of these characters and stick with their like big arts. Their character arts is the big thing.
Speaker 2: You're a Wilder and.
Speaker 4: His thing is he does like a big stagger attack and then he can like grapple to an enemy that's too far away or bring him towards him. So it's a lot.
Speaker 3: I need to try it. It's weird that there's like a new elden Ring adjacent game and I haven't played it, Like, I gotta try it.
Speaker 4: It is I think it's we're checking out, But I definitely think you should play with people that you know are playing. Playing with randoms is very hit or miss. And it's been a lot more miss lately than hits for me because I can tell when I'm going to run with someone they just want to test out a new weapon or test out a new character, and they're not like following our path. And then I'm like, god, damn it away and then you can quit the game, and then I'm like you might be in penalized for this, like why what did I do?
Speaker 3: This?
Speaker 4: Guy sucks?
Speaker 3: You know anyways, but that'sile of games we should play.
Speaker 4: If we ever heard me, I'll pilo you, guys, I'll download it for Steam.
Speaker 2: I will disappoint you.
Speaker 1: I just like I know my limits and I'm gonna be like, was too big big of a boss? And I just like playing my little I'm playing Mais Mice right now, you guys.
Speaker 4: She's like, I have been settled into comfort. Is what You're a comfortable person?
Speaker 1: I have a comfort. I do play like horror games and that will like fuck me up, but like, I just don't like playing games.
Speaker 2: That make me sad.
Speaker 1: Did your cats knock something over?
Speaker 4: No, that's me trying to grab a chip and I knock something over. Can you see this?
Speaker 1: I really could have? Yes, I can double trouble triple if you consider you grabbing chips and knocking shit over.
Speaker 4: Listen, I can't, but I suck at other games. Like you're like you're good at video No, I'm good at the games that I'm willing to be good at. I'm terrible at most games. I'm also a bad liar. So among Us did nothing for men twice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, I fell off, but it had its moment anyway, I like, legitimately am playing a game called Maize Mice. It is a rogue light that is a little bit Vampire Survivors because it is an auto shooter, so you don't have to attack right, like every time you get a power.
Speaker 4: I think it has.
Speaker 1: It's it's it's interesting, it's it's done in a very different way, and let me try and do my best to explain it. But I do think if you like look it up, you can see a trailer that will help. But like you're in a pre selected maze, right, just like a pac Man. Okay, and I actually think this game has pac Man inspiration. For sure. You need to collect these blue balls, which are like how you level up and get I know, I think I'm gonna put it on our Game of the Year list for best balls Dan, and you have to, like you have to get these balls that you can level up your experience that way you can get more stuff. But the balls are always by these sleeping cats. Now, once you walk past a cat, the cats are going to chase.
Speaker 2: You and they auto they're like.
Speaker 1: Yes, and so you have to like do a path consistently. Here's the key part that I think I like about this game. Time only moves when you do so if at any point in time, yes, just like super Hot uh super Hot pac Man and Vampire Survivors. Anytime I want to take a break, I just don't move, and time is still. I can pee or make a drank or have a think about stuff, and then when I move, everything moves too.
Speaker 2: But it doesn't mean that you're safe.
Speaker 1: You have to be like constantly thinking about your next move because the cats don't just follow you. They're sleeping cats before you get them block paths. So this is kind of like the designer of whoever made this is like you have to wake up these cats because they.
Speaker 2: Will block your path and then you will get blocked in.
Speaker 1: Also, mice mays mice. As time progresses, there will be a secondary enemy that goes through walls and does not follow your path. It's like a ghost and it just floats.
Speaker 2: And can find you.
Speaker 1: And so you have to start thinking strategically of like how you get past the cats that follow you, the mice, sorry, the ghosts that don't follow you. Really fun on mobile, it's I think it's very casual and fun. This is like a simple, casual but addictive gameplay mechanic. The art to me leaves something be desired. I wish they put a little bit more TLC into the to the style of this game. Mid Max even stopped by when I was streaming it and was like, what do you think about the art style? And I was like game, Yes, it's not expensive.
Speaker 3: This is an India as indie game, good Steam game, good flight game.
Speaker 1: I think you could enjoy this on a flight, especially with your experience of liking both Vampire Survivors and pac Man. Yo, you and I had a pac Man and flights. Dan loves a flight. I think you get into this for a couple hours. Do I think that this is the game that you're gonna come back and be like Mary, Oh my god, I'm so that No.
Speaker 2: I don't think so, but I think this would eat up a flight.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, oh yeah, I'm like hot and cold with this game. I don't think it's bad or anything. I actually think it does. I think it does stuff mechanically that I wish Vampire Survivors did, Like, I think it plays with the map more. The fact that the sleeping cats actually prevent you from taking certain pathways is small. I think it's like, this is a developer ass developer game. You can tell. The dude was like, mechanically, I want to evolve this genre, not just make another Vampire Survivors, And I respect that, but I just think like it's also ultimately a little simple, and so it did get repetitive.
Speaker 2: After three hours.
Speaker 1: I was like, all right, I think I've seen this game generally speaking, and I don't think it's like amazing to look at. But that being said, oh, it also has nice jazz music, which I like, so ooh some jazzy tones.
Speaker 2: As you were saying, anyway.
Speaker 4: Some some squeaky kurds playing some squeeze.
Speaker 3: You never get that we're going to popularize this phrase.
Speaker 1: Yeah, squeaky chords was lighten it up.
Speaker 4: I was a safe speaking of pac Man. I played some Shadow Labyrinth.
Speaker 3: What the fuck is that game?
Speaker 4: Have you heard about it? Right?
Speaker 3: I've heard about it, but it's like a Demon pac Man, but it's a Metrodvenea like Emo pac Man.
Speaker 4: It is. You watched the Secret Level episode? Right?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: Did you watch it? Mary?
Speaker 1: What's a secret Level?
Speaker 4: Do you never wantch oh? Okay, it's totally listen. I only watched all of them because I had to review them, but it was Amazon Primes, Love Death and Robots director made Secret Level and it's like fifteen minute like episodes like.
Speaker 1: Don't tell Andy Jassey that I have not watched Amazon Primes.
Speaker 4: See Amazon Prime video Secret Level, which is like they have like a Mega Man episode, a Warhammer one, they had a Spelunky one. It was Yeah, it was the most random.
Speaker 1: It felt like twenty minutes long.
Speaker 4: They're like, yeah, it was longer than the game's release, is what it was. But they did a secret They did a pac Man one and it was like horrifying. It was like this like guy wakes up in like this prison. He's like eating all these monsters. You can tell he's like getting sick from it. And then puck like this giant yellow Ball was like you gotta eat or be eaten. You know. He did have a Brooklyn accent, but he was just like, hey, you gotta eat or beat you know. But like at the end he like turns his horrif we gotta go away. And then everyone was like what the fuck was that? And then the found out they made a game out of it? A good it is interesting, for sure.
Speaker 1: It's not an answer.
Speaker 4: It's not bad.
Speaker 2: It's not give me, give me a number out of ten.
Speaker 4: Depends on how you read the number.
Speaker 8: Ratings a six point five to seven. We had to skirt around it, i will say, because it's like a Metroidvania, which I'm like, okay, that's pretty fucking smart to make a metro Vani and pac Man game.
Speaker 4: And like you can turn into pac Man and like go along the walls and like jump and jump to like discover new areas. But like there's mex there's like cute anime girls. There's like months. It's like the ghosts are called g Hosts and they're like giant gun dam with like gooey heads and like that. There's like hot anime girls and you have to discover their secrets and like Puck is like you're it's like, what the fuck they went off the wall and they were like and they're so like, fuck, yeah we did. We're proud of this weird, unhinged thing. And I was like, you know what, good for you guys?
Speaker 1: I respect it is unhinged.
Speaker 2: What what what doesn't do it for you?
Speaker 4: I think it's the art style really because metro veniy wise, it's very basic. It's very easy to figure out, but like I feel like it's almost like too funko poppy, like where it's like they almost nailed it, but and like it's not a cool character design. They have like a bunch of like other Bandai like Arcade references in there. They got like a dig dug reference. It's like an MCU type thing. But it's just a little too like if you're gonna go full spooky full metroid dread on me, like go full spooky, don't like add in hot anime girls, and like it's like.
Speaker 2: It doesn't know what it is.
Speaker 4: It doesn't really. It's just like they were like they went all edge. It's like full edge. Lord, I should like.
Speaker 3: It sounds to me like i'mmer Man acts zero when they suddenly.
Speaker 4: It's almost like pac Man himself is going to say a slur halfway through the game, Like, that's the kind of vibe I got from it.
Speaker 3: Is Puck ever addressed as pac Man? Do they say pac Man in the game at any point?
Speaker 4: I didn't play long enough to find out, but Puck is technically pac Man and.
Speaker 1: Half out of his mouth more like he's he's fucking balls every game.
Speaker 4: Would be cooler if he was like an old cook from like Brooklyn, but instead he's like a redditor.
Speaker 3: But also pac Man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but the combat, like if you like metro vanias, like if you like Basia, that's I do.
Speaker 3: I head around the pac Man part of this. This seems so nebulous.
Speaker 1: I know, and isn't Metroid pac Man. Also because it's also ball.
Speaker 4: Form, I guess. Yeah, so instead of the spider ball, you turn into pac Man and does the walk walk a sound? So that's more like I was like, oh, you can make.
Speaker 3: Yeah, can you turn it into pac Man at any point or is it just specific?
Speaker 4: Yeah, on certain lines or whatever, you can turn to pac Man and collect the dots, and the dots help you like level up your sword blah blah blah, and then during like boss fights, you just sword fight them. It's very like Hollow Night. And then when you kill them, Puck turns in this like giant grotesque creature and like eats it, and it's like you got to eat to figure out the secrets of this tunnel and the hot anime girls. And I'm like, okay, fine, whatever you say, mister pac Man.
Speaker 3: I think ten minutes ago, I was somewhat curious about what this game is, and I think after hearing more about it, I think I'm less interested.
Speaker 4: You should definitely watch like gameplay of it, like it's it. Yeah, if you like basic metro Vanea, it might hit the spot, but the I feel like it's just a little too edgy for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a lot of really good Metrovanians that don't do.
Speaker 4: If it wasn't Man, I think it'd be fine. But the fact that pac Man is like.
Speaker 3: Weird choice to make it pac Man adjacent very strange.
Speaker 1: It does get us talking about it, though.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean like people are like, what the fuck did they do the Packman? Like, to be fair, there is no story to pac Man, like.
Speaker 3: You're you get married kids.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's like I always thought it was miss pac Man like, it's actually missus pac Man, like she's divorced in my head. Okay, oh sure, or mister pac Man and miss Pacman could be the same thing. You never know, Miss Pacman could be the drag pac Man. You never know.
Speaker 3: I like I would play drag pac Man.
Speaker 4: That's why they have like a bow tie and in the lip do this is drag makeup? You know?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: That does help me, like, because it's not just disney fied. It's not like we slapped some eyelashes on her now you're right. It's like there's like an actual concept behind it of a dude who's just this had enough balls and haven't we all.
Speaker 4: The serial level episod what I think is worth watching. I actually liked it and then they're like, oh they actually made a game out of this. Oh okay, never mind. It's like, oh, you were serious type situation.
Speaker 2: It's pretty neat though, but yeah, maybe not.
Speaker 1: It's a hard cell, but I like think, like generally speaking, there's probably like some interest in there. I genuinely do love a metroid, so like.
Speaker 4: Listen it was it was I checked it out just to check it out, and I was like, all right. I played a few hours, got through a few bosses. It's fun, but it has to have some kind of cool level design or artwork or character design for me to really catch on. And it does not Like Hia I was so simple? How is the pac Man team not following something like that?
Speaker 1: Everybody else is copied Hollow Night to Dead because it's actually a genius piece of art. Dan, you've been playing Donkey Kong Bananza, how's that transition party?
Speaker 3: It is just it's one of those games where I feel like when people were in a room and they put a picture of me on the wall and they said, make a game for that guy. And every fucking thing this game does is just lighting up my brain making me happy. It is the most like in terms of time to fun. It is the fastest I've maybe ever seen, because you get a five or ten second cut scene just showing like here's ingot ale, and then it's like your Donkey Kong and there's no It doesn't pause for tutorial stuff. It doesn't explain anything stuff. Yeah, three out of the four face buttons are just for fucking things up, So it is just you know, fuck things up, forward, fuckings up up, fuck things up, down, and jump, which that's like the ideal face button assortment for me. And you can just dig through I would say, like ninety percent of the environment. Like they will occasionally gate things with like here's a steel wall or something like that that you have to figure out your way around, but everything can be climbed and not like stamina meter, which look, I love Breath the Wild and here's the Kingdom, like my favorite games ever. Makes sense why they would have stamina. But if you're Donkey Kong, just this big dumb idiot, the idea of being able to infinitely climb up every wall and destroy every piece of the environment and chuck enemies, chuck things at enemies, turn into a fucking zebra turn it like it's just it is complete controlled chaos. Like I am jamming on the face buttons in a way that I have not done in games in a long time, where I am just leveling these areas and at any point you could fuck up an area so much that it's like broken. You can't get from point A to point B, and you can always reset the terrain, which is kind of an insane thing on the tech side. It is it's got so much personality. It's got a lot of Mario Otissey DNA like, especially like in the boss fights things like that, a lot of stuff like the fonts, just that idea of like in Mario Odyssey, where everywhere you walked there was something and it's like, hey, what's that thing that's weird? Oh that's a moon. Okay, that's a challenge for a moon. Same way here where it's like whether you're digging through a thing or helping a weird blue crystal with eyes find his children, Like there's just shit everywhere you look. And I have not been bored for a second. I'm probably like ten hours into this game. I have hundreds of bananas, and I'm going to be sad when this game is over.
Speaker 4: It is so fun, so jealous of everyone got a switch to.
Speaker 3: Oh it is? Do you like a Lisa? Are you into like Breath the Wild?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I'm yeah. I was a Nintendo fan every Nintendo console ever made, So.
Speaker 3: You know how like Breath the Wild, Like you know, you you get past that tutorial area and it's just like kill Gannon is the thing, and like I love that open endedness of just like figured out I don't know kill ganon like it basically has that with Donkey Kong, where you get past the very early tutorial level and it's just like get more bananas. That's the whole fucking goal. Bananas.
Speaker 4: Mary, did you get a switch to?
Speaker 1: I do have a switch to, but I haven't played this game yet, and I actually saw some like negative reviews which I'm confused by.
Speaker 4: Who's just doggy Kong wasn't hot enough, that's what they all say.
Speaker 1: I will not docks the people who dislikes this game, but I think I actually like got a negative original perception and you are completely changing my mind on it.
Speaker 3: Well, so I'm curious, what did you hear as the negative thing?
Speaker 1: I heard some people just say it's like crazy repetitive where it's essentially like you hit everything, you basically.
Speaker 4: Just put that everything. It's like Ladie's mansion.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think that's like a fair defense though, which is like some people like that. I also heard like maybe that it just doesn't evolve, like you don't actually ever, like it doesn't expand no.
Speaker 3: It does, it does, and it's not a one trick pony like obviously the main mechanic is just like beating through mountains and shit like that and destroying the environment. But like ten hours in or wherever I am, you know, you get a zebra power where it's like, okay, I'm in this creamery. I'm in this like ice cream factory, and it makes these ice bridges and if Donkey Kong tries to run across them, he just falls through. But if you can unlock the Zebra bonanza skill, you can turn into Zebra Kong and he could run really fast and fast enough to where he could run over water. He can run over you know, the ice cream bridge or whatever. So like, and there I can tell the there's a skill tree. Don' Kygong has a fucking skill tree. He never has that. And so you can choose which bonanza form you want to take for each And I have two out of what looks like four or five. And I think it's gonna be those things where it's situational where it's like, okay, you got to run fast, be a zebra. You need to be the shit out of some stuff. Be this bonanza gorilla thing. So I didn't get to play a ton because I was in Wisconsin this weekend, but like so I'm fairly early there's clearly going to be a lot of stuff that it's going to introduce. I've heard some frustrations about like later levels and things like that, so can't speak to the whole game, but everything I've played so far, I have not been bored for a nanosecond playing it. I've just been smiling and having a great fucking.
Speaker 4: Time I've been I played like an hour of it at like a Tenova, and I just stayed in the first area and they're like, you should move on the next areas, Like, I can't stop punching things. I'm stuck here.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: If this whole game was this one level, it'd be my favorite game. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would play it until I destroy every part of this level.
Speaker 4: And my OCDM he was like, I must get everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like on a switch to it's gonna be really fun to just play that, like play a couple like fun levels where you just smash stuff in between like work or flight or whatever has you. So it just seems like it probably lends itself really well to the person on the go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I've heard like some complaints about like frame rate drops and stuff like that. Anyone who's complaining about that is just a dumb weird baby, because it is doing incredible shit with Like, like the Switch Too isn't the most powerful hardware in the world. The frame Like, I love a good frame rate. It doesn't. It drops very briefly sometimes when it goes into a cut scene or something like that.
Speaker 4: So who cares you, dumb.
Speaker 1: Weird baby being a dumb weird baby.
Speaker 4: You're not watching a movie. You're playing Donkey.
Speaker 3: Kong, yes, and you are doing incredibly leveling entire areas of this map and it performs very well. So I fucking love this game. I'll report back once I've beaten it and things like that. I can't imagine all suddenly not like this thing. I've loved every second of. But fucking this is the killer app of the Switch Too. I love Mario Kart World, but this is this is the one for this year.
Speaker 4: It's also setting up success for a better Mario game coming out at some point.
Speaker 3: Oh god, if they do like the Bowser's fury style, Like, oh, I.
Speaker 4: Think that's one thing I love about Nintendo is like every game they play, like every franchise game, the next one you're like, they added this thing. Oh that means this game is gonna be awesome. Oh they did this thing to this game. Oh this next game is gonna be fucking awesome. Yep, I need to get one.
Speaker 1: I get one.
Speaker 3: It's good.
Speaker 4: I know. I'm scared of my my wallet and my mental health if I I'm like, I gotta like do stuff and like go places. Oh you can bring your switch to I know I can't, and you don't tell me that three weeks. Can I get a switch to by then?
Speaker 3: You have to get it before then you have to get down before that.
Speaker 1: Let's do at least five without your switch to get on the international flight card.
Speaker 4: I'm playing a pull an all nighter on that flight too, So maybe I should get one. Are they easy to get now?
Speaker 3: Choo's Warriors sixty four if you follow them like you know, he'll post, I go best Buy's got them, targets got them or whatever? Like they're not that hard to get now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're not like p S five when they came out. Get one for like three years?
Speaker 3: No, No, you could probably come down.
Speaker 4: Okay, do it before your fly. Okay, let's do the uh listen, London is going to be expensive, But I guess I'll just spend my London money on a switch to Yeah yeah, here you go perfect? Yeah Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Played a These are like quick ones. I plaid uh.
Speaker 1: Uma, the Pretty Dirty, I think Dan.
Speaker 2: I played horse Girl. I didn't play for very long. I actually quit.
Speaker 1: This is like my this was my kryptonite. It just doesn't work for me.
Speaker 4: Is it just a game?
Speaker 3: It seems it seems like a meme game or a like pervert game.
Speaker 2: People tand.
Speaker 1: I do think it has deep gaming built into it, and people don't play a lot of hours into it, and it's like a lot of the well, there's like deep gameplay of like actually growing these.
Speaker 4: Would you.
Speaker 2: Bronie?
Speaker 1: Those aren't those the people who are into my Little Pony?
Speaker 4: Are this? Like is this we Bronie? Is this anime?
Speaker 1: Wee Bronie's You're like growing their skill sets, you're training them, you're educating them, You're making sure that.
Speaker 4: There's training girls of horse race that I just didn't get past. I hate anime, strong position, I'm with you.
Speaker 1: I like the occasional anime experience and I love the anime in general, but like, this game to.
Speaker 2: Me is just so obscure and it's really tough.
Speaker 1: And then after you like beat a race, they actually do like a little dance, like they actually do like a K pop style yes and no, And you get to choose their little outfit so I can be like, I want you to have like red hair and pigtails, and I want her to have like a short bob, and you're all going to wear the same cute little dress. And then I was like, I don't know, like this isn't probably what I want out of my video game, and so I quit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess I'm like dressing up Donkey Kong.
Speaker 4: I also think it's oh, sorry.
Speaker 3: Like the dressing up stuff, Like, I guess I'm dressing up Donkey Kong, but his his pants have abilities. His swimming bridges helped me swim Donkey Kongs hot.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm more attracted Donkey Kong than a horse racing an all right, I'm.
Speaker 3: Gonna back out of this whole thing.
Speaker 1: You had me for a second being like, oh, I think these anime girls might be for like little weirdos, and I was like, that's unfair, but like I can also.
Speaker 4: Understand the old man with a joe.
Speaker 1: Okay, fuck Donkey Kong, Lisa, that's weird.
Speaker 4: The girls are definitely high schoolers or junior high. Donkey Kong is a family man. He is a he's still a family man.
Speaker 3: He's very close.
Speaker 4: With his brothers. He's very close.
Speaker 3: Did he Kong and all that a nephew and I think crank, he's.
Speaker 4: He's a family Manna, he's so family he's close with his nephew.
Speaker 1: Both kervers.
Speaker 4: Donkey Kong is of age. Okay, this is not that is also a he did not have to give Donkey Kong a juicy ass if they didn't want me to thirst over it.
Speaker 1: Okay, you can't just say that because he's caked up, you're allowed to bang. That's just not how it works.
Speaker 4: I mean, I would ask.
Speaker 1: Bringing up consent, your consent, queen, but that's not why I that's not the problem I do.
Speaker 3: We have confromation that Donkey Kong knows English? Could you could he answer consents?
Speaker 4: And I'm googling how old is Donkey Kong?
Speaker 3: Actually do they say, oh banana, Yeah, he's twenty four years old.
Speaker 5: Twenty fo say oh banana he has twenty four he's forty four, forty four that I'm younger than Donkey Kong.
Speaker 4: Hell yeah, wait no I think this is Ai telling me the games are forty four years old.
Speaker 3: Oh you know they're right. One that might be close to right.
Speaker 4: He's twenty years old in human years, I'm saying forty. I'm seeing consent consensual.
Speaker 3: Donkey Kong is years for sure.
Speaker 4: The USO Moomey girls they're twelve, okay, And if they are like five hundred year old vampires, there's twelve year old girls. Okay. Wow. Everyone get mad at Lisa because she thinks Donkey Kong hot. Okay, I'm not I'm not mad.
Speaker 1: I'm concerned. I think you guys both know too much about Donkey Kong. I think that there's just a lot of descriptors going on about his butt cheeks, and I just think we should take a chill pill for a second and really think about what we're doing here as a podcast.
Speaker 3: Donkey is an adult.
Speaker 4: I'm going to get in trouble from this podcast, Like we can't orry because you want to fuck Donkey Kong. I'm sorry, and.
Speaker 1: Then you won't be able to buy a switch to which means you won't be able to goon Donkey Kong.
Speaker 4: You've seen the meme of him with the butt where He's like, no, are just sitting on there. You know.
Speaker 1: It's funny, you know, like we just have different vibes when it comes to big fat cheeks, Lisa, what.
Speaker 4: Big fat cheeks? And the games? Do you want to fuck?
Speaker 1: I like him flat as a board, Lisa, you gotta come back with something. Okay, Well, you're known for liking juicy butts. You have an emo on Twitch that's a snake with.
Speaker 4: A big fat but oh yeah, snake. What a dream like snake and like metal your soliding because of games? Thank you? Give me a man with acne scars and like an aftershave, like I that's that's that's what I want.
Speaker 3: You knows.
Speaker 4: Of course he does. Have you not come on meddle yourself for when he's doing the worm, that's all you see. All you see is snakes. Ask the entire game.
Speaker 3: I really don't think I've spent a lot of time noticing snakes.
Speaker 4: That's how we know you're a straight man.
Speaker 1: Okay, good congratulations, Dan, you've passed the test. You're straight as an arrow.
Speaker 4: You've seen David Hayter. He has cameo and he's like been doing the memes and he's like, oh, the clap of my ass, she's alerting guards.
Speaker 3: So is it just like old man Snake doing the crawl thing? Is that when he noticed the butt?
Speaker 4: I mean it's pretty I mean I played the game two years ago and it's like what you noticed most of the games. Like, I can't pick this game seriously because I just see his little lumps on the ground, just like just on the wrong while there's like war happening everywhere.
Speaker 5: You guys had such a different experience, didn't you notice, Like there was a huge thing at Fortnite when they put Snake in there that they like de asked him, they gave him like the flat yeah, and and like I mean look at his Look at that snake ass right there.
Speaker 4: Wow, they caked him up. Man, he's caked up and most of them.
Speaker 1: Maybe I should, Maybe I should play metal games.
Speaker 3: You should, Mary you, I would love to hear your thoughts on I just.
Speaker 1: Kind of want to review that fat cake.
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 3: It is weird because like you're talking about middle of your solid for Lisa, and he's doing the krawl thing, but like he's like an old ass man in that. But he's like that whole game is just like ripped old dudes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you should absolutely play metal your solid It is just ripped old dudes that are very vulnerable.
Speaker 1: I'm listening out of each other on top of a submarine.
Speaker 4: They all they all smell bad, but like in a sexy way, like that's the worst. They're explaining it.
Speaker 1: And I'm listening.
Speaker 3: You have not played Have you played a medal year?
Speaker 1: Not a one?
Speaker 3: Oh god, it's okay.
Speaker 4: I was late to the game. They're so good, Lisa.
Speaker 3: So your history here you were telling me before we recorded fairly recently you went through them.
Speaker 4: All, right, Yeah, in the last three years.
Speaker 3: Generally, big thumbs up.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, they hold up. Even the you know PS one PS two graphics they still hold up because they're so silly and they're not you know, they're stealth games. So I'm not I don't usually play stealth games, so how to get used to that? But it was just like, you know, the stupid things where it's like give yourself a massage and you have to like shake the controller. I'm like, what is this warrior shit that's going on?
Speaker 3: Hold the dual shock up to your arm too? Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I had to borrow someone's PS three so I could play uh three and four. But like I remember in like Meddle Year Solid two when you're fighting who is the guy where it's like he hacks your game.
Speaker 3: And thank you cycle man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, where it's like you're trying to figure out to kill him and you have to like switch your controller to a report and I was like, because he hacks your game. It's there's so much silly things in there that are like breaking the fourth wall, that are like oh and and also like I don't care about the story as much. Everyone's like, oh the lore. I'm like, I don't care.
Speaker 3: About I'm a lower doer with it.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I've had to watch so many videos and I'm like, this is like dark Souls. I just don't understand it, but I still enjoy it. You would love them, and they're great reaction games. I think like I had the most viewership I had playing Metal Gear Solids.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is Meddle Year. Fans love seeing people experience it for the first time. I did that with Through Scalen and Giant Bond back in the day. I did my sister played through them all like a year or two ago, and like it is just so fun because there's so much nonsense, but like the best kind of nonsense that happens, where it's like, yeah, I gotta see how my sister reacts to the end of Metal Year Solid two and that whole AI Kernel stuff and everything and the fight with the end. It's just you. You can't predict where it's going next from a gameplay a sense, from a story sense. The timeline of that game is insane. It's I think it is my favorite game to watch people experience for sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they and I it makes me get fomo that I wasn't a like into them when they came out because of the the way they marketed the games too, Like that was a big part of like, like Melarsald two, they didn't say Snake was in the game he plays ride in and everyone was mad about that. But Snake is actually in the game. His name's Iroquois, which means snake and like some Native American language or.
Speaker 3: Something, Iroboy Pliskin, and Pliskin was Snake from Escape from New York.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I was like, this is so dumb, Like he's just some guy but looks just like Snake and he's voiced by David Hayder. Yeah, and I love five. Five was just like best gameplay wise.
Speaker 3: That's the thing. Five is weird because it's like I love the lore and so five is like definitely the best gameplay wise, but the weakest story wise. So it's like I kind of rate it the lowest of the Metal Years, even though I enjoyed playing it the most.
Speaker 4: If you play him, I will I will watch all of that.
Speaker 3: Oh well, we didn't.
Speaker 4: Pay attention to you.
Speaker 1: I will watch all that. Yeah, Dan playing through them with metal Gear Scanlon basically played them with Mike, my coworker Drew, and they're they're pretty funny. I've seen some of it, but i've been, I've been. I'ven't watched all of them because it's spoilers too if I ever want to play through it.
Speaker 4: But yeah, you're not even remember the story anyways. I heard.
Speaker 1: It's maddening.
Speaker 3: It took me years to kind of like figure out what was happening in this story. But like you know, lista to what you said. Like, I was very much like I was a fourteen year old boy when the first one came out, the first Middle Year Solid, which I cannot imagine a better age to be for that.
Speaker 4: Now you're a fifteen year old boy.
Speaker 3: That's right emotionally yeah. But the second one with like all the previews and everything being all snake, you didn't know about the ride and stuff. I was working at a funkal Land which became game.
Speaker 4: Spot later and wow, what a throwback.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, and I had not been spoiled at all, and like middle year, Solid two was the most excited I've ever been for a game. And my fucking manager, Kevin at funkal Land, we got the strategy guys in before we got the game in, and he was like looking through it and he was like, huh, I don't think you play a snake in this game. And I was like, what do you tell you? I'm not going to fall for this. What the fuck you talking about? Kevin? And he's like, no, you're some blonde guy. I've seen the trailers. I've been following this obsessively. It's metal gear Solid to your Snake and just showed me the strategy guide and every fucking screenshot was this blonde guy and I was like, what the fuck is this? And so it was kind of spoiled for me. I still love that twist, but I definitely, you know, fuck Kevin forever.
Speaker 4: For that, But I uh, I mean that was the whole reason why I started playing Desk Tranding because I was like, after that, I was like, well, since Kojima left Konami, I got to see how desk Stranding is like, and it had a little bit of Metal Gear elements in it, like when you did like the fights against Clifford or whatever his name is, Matt, but it does the thing that's the thing that I did you play through desk Stranding. Oh yeah, yeah, it does a thing that I do not like with metal Gear, where it's like this whole cut scene could have been an email. Like the whole two hours of the game. I was crying out of hysteria because I'm like, can I go to fucking bed now? And it was just like, sorry, bitch, forty five more minutes for this whole scene that we explained seven hours earlier. But now you get to see it from a new perspective, and it's like.
Speaker 3: I don't defend that with desk Stranding one, Like I generally am just such a mark for Kajima that like, in the middle of your stuff to give me a two hour cut scene because it's like, I really care about every piece of information. Deathk Stranding is so just abstract data just out there where. It's like I don't love those long ass cut scenes as much. I will say Death Stranding two does a better job with that, Like the last few hours of two have some long ass cut scenes, but they are much better than the ones in one.
Speaker 4: Yes, I have a I don't know if you guys feel the same way about this as I do. My problem with games like desk Stranding and a lot of modern games when they use real actors as like mocap with their faces and everything. I can't get into the story or like the characters as much emotionally because I associate them with the actors. Like Snake is his own character, his own design, so it's like, Okay, this is Snake, this is a character how I want to be, And then I'm like, here's Norman Ritas, Like it feels like I'm watching a movie rather than sucking myself into the game. Getting sucked into the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I kind of agree with that because like in Medal Year, I always loved, like, you know, the Kajimas always used that Yoji Shinkawa art and it's like always he's like unique characters for Metal game. Yeah, that are not based on the day. Okay, this is the guy's clearly kind of Kurt Russell issh or whatever, but like a snake is his own guy versus the Shinkawa art for dest Randing's like, well that's just Shinkawa drawing Norman Ritas, which looks really cool. But I see Norman riatas, you know, I see Troy Baker Laias to do like very cool, but I do prefer them, like I love des Stranding. I very much prefer medal yourself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I do have a quot. It is Destranding to more Metal your solid five game player. Is it still very heavy in the stranding? Uh?
Speaker 3: The actual like connecting the roads and delivering stuff is still like death stranding. The going up to the enemy bases and combat stuff is way more phantom pain yea all the way. But it's like for someone who sucks itself like me, you can kind of just go in with like because all the guns for the most of the game are like trank guns.
Speaker 4: You can I just ran everyone over.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can do that. Like you don't have to worry about void outs or anything unless it's very specific circumstances later, but like it's way more fantom pain. So I think that's part of why I love two a lot more than I liked one.
Speaker 4: Okay that maybe I'll play it.
Speaker 3: It's very good Mary.
Speaker 4: Maybe I'll convince Mary to let me play Peak with her.
Speaker 1: I will do Peak, and then I'll have to be convinced for everything else you guys just discussed.
Speaker 4: I really think you would love Metal Your Salt. I think it's a game everyone should play.
Speaker 3: At least one of the most important series, No Mario, but it's my favor.
Speaker 4: Pretty high up there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you're in Super Smash Brothers, you were in some sort of important game.
Speaker 3: I think the most important thing, though, is it was the first thing that like made game cinematic, you know, scenes, game had voice acting, voice acting things like that, but nothing was even remote first.
Speaker 4: Caked up protagonists exactly for sure.
Speaker 1: I respect that.
Speaker 4: Yeah a lot, they really did. They really did the cake good, you know, even the PS one cake. It was like Loura cross titties on his butt.
Speaker 1: Tony and everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, little freaks. You guys want to read some emails, sure, hell yeah, all right, welcome back. I know that we talked about.
Speaker 1: Snake Pliskin's butt. Is that what his name is?
Speaker 2: For like a really long time, the.
Speaker 3: Snake Bliskin's the Currussle. Uh, this is just a solid.
Speaker 1: Which one it came first?
Speaker 2: Is this a chicken in the egg situation?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: No, no, johnk definitely based off of ker Russell.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's crazy. He just stole a character.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, crazy.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah it's Kojima.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Sean Connery was big Boss and like the first one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh that's crazy. Cool. Well, uh, that was a long convo about butts, but I'm glad that we were all back. Don't forget y'all. We're going to go through some emails. We love when you send us emails because we get to hear a little bit about you and your lives, and uh, we can also answer some of your burning questions. Dan, do you want to read the first email from Nathan?
Speaker 3: Yes, if I escape. If you taught a class about video games and could only feature five games, which ones would they be? Would you focus on the history of games and choose the most important titles like Marius sixty four, Portal Tetris, or would you choose games that you love that are more modern like Blueprints, Breadth the Wild, and Blatro. Thanks y'all. That's from Nathan.
Speaker 1: It's a really good question, and it like probably requires a little bit more research.
Speaker 2: It also depends on like what it.
Speaker 1: Depends on the goal, right, because if this goal is like I could teach this class for years and never get bored, it.
Speaker 2: Would probably be.
Speaker 1: Games. What games do you think we could talk about forever and not get tired. Wouldn't it be a metal year for you because you can talk about it year after year after year, Like what's your goal as a professor?
Speaker 3: I think it's one that you can point to, like, Okay, after this game, things were different, and I do think middle year solid what I was saying before about like the cinematic storytelling stuff or whatever. But like I think Mario sixty four is one of those where it's like, Okay, this was one of the first big swings at three D gaming, not just platforming. You know, it was like nineteen ninety six. We had not really done this much before that, a user controlled camera, things like that, the idea of a hub world, and like it did a million different things that they didn't have a foreign games. So yeah, mar six four I think, you know, they mentioned Tenttris as well. I think we're going to talk about just like pure distilled gaming, You're not going to much better than Tetris. I do think if we're talking more modern, I would go Breath the Wild, because I do think that was twenty it was twenty seventeen. That was we're fucking what eight years ago now, and I still don't think anyone's come close to Breath the Wild's open world design outside of like Tears of the Kingdom. I think everyone's still trying to play catch up on that. I think Outer Wilds is one where the idea of just like information being the progress. And you know, I'm sure there are there are, like there are adventure games and stuff like old Lucas Arts or Sierra stuff back in the day that kind of did a similar thing. But for me, Outer Wilds was the one that really clicked where it's like, oh my god, like you can beat this game in twenty minutes if you want to, but you have to have the knowledge so and then it just distilled video gamenists. I would say warrior Ware. I love Warriorwear so much, and that is just the purest just like go go go, go play a thing, play a thing, play a thing, play a thing that would be up there for me too.
Speaker 1: I think if I were to do this, we have to do something I'd be like really educated on and feel really strongly about. Like something I think I could like talk a lot about and would do a class about would be horror genre video games, and like how impactful they are to us is like a society, Like what makes a game so scary and so addictive to watch someone be scared or to be scared yourself? Right, Because like, as people, we've kind of evolved past the fact that we don't really have We don't have things to be afraid of in the traditional sense or in the animalistic sense. Right, We're not being hunted. We're at the top of the food chain. So the things that we want to do if we want to be scared, is like to be hunted, right, Like a lot of games capitalized on that, even old games. Amnesia is like one of the scariest games to this day I have ever played, and it does it so well because it recognizes what it's like to be unable to defend yourself.
Speaker 2: In that game, you can attack, so you just survive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's it's so useless. All it can do is like defend your mental health, Like it actually can't do anything for like protecting you. Really it's just buying you time. So that I think obviously Silent Hill just as a collective of like psychosis and like what's happening inside of our brains, it does a lot with like also like just why also like trying not to like spoil a really old game here, but like also like what is a protagonist? Like can they also be bad? Can we can you play a bad person? I think that's really interesting, like how it plays on that. So Resident Evil obviously, which is also about being hunted in many senses, especially Resident Evil three because you're you're being chased most of the game. So a brilliant series, and I think I think you would even add modern games in there as well. Pasmophobia. Dead by Daylight is a brilliant cinematic experience that I think I could talk about a lot. PT Jesus like such a good storytelling experience. It's terrifying and really well done. Yeah, I think I feel like I could talk about that forever and have so much to say and so much to like learn, so yeah, that'd be great horror games in general.
Speaker 2: Is I think where I would go? Uh yeah, what about you, Lisa?
Speaker 4: Definitely anything Zelda, because I can just talk about Zelda forever because that's all the Zelda games. I talk about the lore of it and how it got me in the laura of video games. I mean, that's why I have a whole freaking Twilight Princess sleeve, which people hate on. I don't agree with it at all.
Speaker 3: The game the best three d dungeons in the whole series.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Okay, I wish more people agreed. I'd also probably, honestly, it would be more like, like I love Metro Vanus, so I talk about the Metro Vanias that I really love because I grew up obviously on Metroid, and then I moved on to Castlevania, and then it was Hollow Night and then all those dungeon crawlers as well obviously Soul's games. I also, I don't know. I think that's a really interesting question because it's like you can It's like, do you want me to talk about games specifically or history of games or talk about genre of games? Because I'm like, if we're just talking about video games. I'm gonna talk about my favorite ones because it's the ones I can talk about the most.
Speaker 1: You'd want to, because you'd want to spend your life talking about games that.
Speaker 4: Do you think Zelda is? I like, you thought Mario was the most important I guess video game franchise. I agree that Mario is probably the most recognizable character, and I think for platformers, yes, but I'm like, I'm like, I think Zelda is like when you look at like greatest video game of all time, or like games that have like shaped how games are made now, it's always like acrea.
Speaker 3: Time, you know what I mean, the first Zelda on an e s.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, oh yeah, or Link to the Past, which like set like the whole formula for future Zelda games, and it has all the aspects of like dungeon crawling RPG and all sorts of things, and so it's like, oh, I would just talk about Zelda. But then also I obviously got really into the Soul's games in the last few years, and so it's like, well that is more recently biased, and that's obviously what I'm gonna focus on because like that taught me how to be like really good and strategize the video games, because Zelda's always been like, oh, you get this weapon in a dungeon, you just use that weapon for the boss, yeah, versus teaching you. Yeah, it like teaches you. And then it's like I remember in high school, like the guys I used to hang out with used to call me like a fake gamer because I never got on Xbox and never played Halo, and so I was always like ashamed of like my games knowledge. Yeah, right, and then now they're all pieces of shits and now they're all dead to me, okay, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that being good. Now you fucking commire your ass and I'm playing Elden Ring.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then I played like seki Row and like Dark Souls, all of those. All the knowledge I got from gaming came from Zelda. So it's like if it wasn't for my playing Zelda from a childhood growing up, I would not have as much of like the knowledge I'd have to be like, oh there's something hidden behind this wall, or oh this boss is gonna have three phases, or you got to hit this thing. Like. It taught me so much about video games, so it's like I would teach a class on like these are the video games I think that you need to get into or that you need to have knowledge on to really understand how video games work. And even arcade games. I grew up on a lot of arcade games, and arcade games are very simple. Like did you ever watch the Tetris movie? Oh my god, it's so good. Really yeah, I know, which is everyone's reaction. It's really good because it tells you how good of a tech of the game Tetris is and how hard it was to get the licensing for tech Tetris in the US. It was like a whole government thing with the Soviet Union. It was like a heist. And so just talking about video game history, like I gotten too Earthbound because of the history of earth Bound. I got into player Obscure because of reading about the studio and how they found the composer and how they became like this dream team. So I don't know, I think I just would not shut the fuck up.
Speaker 3: You could do a whole thing about Zelda, for sure, Like, yeah, Zelda, for sure. The thing is like there's so many tent poles there where it's like the first Zelda and what that did and then linked to the past, how that established the format and Ocherna time, how it brought it to three Awakening too, Yeah, and Majora, how I went fucking way out of left field there uh and then breatha Wild. How it completely reinvented the way retort.
Speaker 4: How it started the timeline. Everyone associates me with Soul's games and Yaka is up, but I'm like, Zelda's like my I just have played all them, so I obviously I'm not streaming them. You know, I've pre streamed a few games, but like, obviously it's like that's just who I am as a gamer.
Speaker 1: They were It's foundational too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like Blink Way Too was the band that got me into rock music and metal and punk and emo, but they're not any of those genres. They're just the first one that was Like this introduced me to a whole line of whole new part of myself that I didn't know I had.
Speaker 2: Are you saying that Zelda is the blank one eighty two of games?
Speaker 4: It is Zelda is the blank Way Too. I love that The only thing Link can say is diarrhea when you kill Gann and he goes, I'm a fuck your mom, And that's all Link says for the whole series.
Speaker 1: Such a grandpa. Anyway, Tom, let's play this song all the small Things.
Speaker 4: It's been so funny, how predictable and adolescent they still are. But they're all in their fifties. They're just stupid children forever, children their twenties.
Speaker 1: If they were at a park and there was one child, the child would bring their Spider Man toys to bank exactly.
Speaker 4: Call back. Yeah, Squeaky Kurds Squeaky the name of the episode.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Nathan. I think that answers your question. I will read this next one, although I don't see a name in it. Can you double check Dan?
Speaker 4: The name?
Speaker 3: Yes? One? Unless it never had one, it probably did. Let me just search. I'm gonna read it really Sultan Sultan Abbassi.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm gonna read it fast now, Hi, peoples, How does Dan feel about child Pauline and DK Bonanza after proclaiming has distained for children characters in video games?
Speaker 2: Love y'all take care.
Speaker 3: I mean, I have a general disdain for children and I but I think with games it is mostly I don't want to have to play as one, you know, like that's the thing with like JRPG's and stuff like that. I don't want to be some teenager or something like that. I think in DK Bananza has not bothered me. It is. I am playing as Donkey Kong. As far as I'm concerned. Pauline is basically a navvy or a fee or something like that, like one of these like Zelda companions that will occasionally have an ability or say something or whatever like. But I'm I'm Donkey Kong. I'm playing is Donkey Kong. Yeah, I hope Pauline does well, but I don't really care. So ye have no no problem, no problem with it.
Speaker 1: I feel like you're afraid to be put on a list because you're a sweet boy and you would never do that, and so you're just always like, listen, if there's a child involved, I don't want to talk to them, I don't want to be around them. I don't even want to like be associated with them.
Speaker 2: Those kids can't.
Speaker 4: Even show me your Spider Man collection.
Speaker 3: No, I don't give it, Timmy. I'm an adult. I want to play as adults. I find kids annoying. I don't want them around my games. I don't want them in my games. But if it's just she's sitting on Donkey Kong's shoulder and occasionally she'll sing to break a purple door.
Speaker 4: If that's fine, I'm here to traumatize the kids. Yeah, put the kids in their place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you know, yeah, you gotta grow up sometime.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love children. I don't think I want to raise any. But I just absolutely love being an aunt and like showing them all the games that I loved and like watching them like go through them and teaching them all my best tips and tricks about games.
Speaker 2: So we have different vibes going on.
Speaker 3: I like being an uncle, but all like my niece and my nephews are all like very young and so like I'm looking forward to them being old enough for me to traumatize them.
Speaker 4: I will say I have a I never post them because they're my nieces, but I have videos on my phone on my niece playing elden Ring, and she plays it like a cozy game. She's seven years old. She'll ride around the horses and grab like flowers, and in the minute there's an enemy, she'll just throw it at my my sister, her brother in law. She loves it. She's obsessed with elden Ring.
Speaker 3: What if a dragon comes down? And like she's just done.
Speaker 4: And then she's like, get it, dad, get it, get hurry. I want to play like and she'll he'll like, sitting there in the plane, she'll be like, you gotta get a key for this room, dad. Yeah, I get heat. And it's very precious.
Speaker 1: That's adorable.
Speaker 2: It's a really hellish world.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but she picks flowers and she's just on her little horse.
Speaker 1: Give her animal crossing.
Speaker 3: It's getting off she.
Speaker 4: But then my sister's like, you know what, fuck you, Lisa. Now my kids play elden Ring. They won't play their switches anymore. They shall play. You've given her the wrong universe to be endearing and sweet and it's very precious.
Speaker 1: You sounds that's a good kids story at least at least they're open to it. Well, thank you for the emails. I know that was a bit shorter, but we went so hard on gaming content that we wrapped up all of our time in games. Sorry, you know, sorry that we talked about games for so long. As always, we absolutely love for you guys to help and support us. You do not have to this. This podcast is free ninety nine.
Speaker 2: You can listen to it at your leisure. But if you like what you hear.
Speaker 1: You can always go to our Patreon and you can tip us, which is awesome and it helps us pay for games and other things that help us make sure we do this podcast. You can also get the video and ad free tiers, which I love. That way you can enjoy us without any ads interrupting us annoyingly, and you can just watch Lisa's cats. There were two of I bet you don't even know what they look like. They were really cute.
Speaker 3: She held them. They were really cute. A couple of times. You hold them up, and that's a really chill cat.
Speaker 4: Yeah, faranoy.
Speaker 1: Sounds like they're little babies, and you get to see them in the video version. So I hope that you consider it. If not, I hope you enjoyed listening, and with that, I would really love to plug Lisa. I know you are an incredible comedian. You're very funny. I just have loved seeing you at so many different conventions and cons. You're busy, You're a hustler. Please tell people where they can listen and find more of you on the internet.
Speaker 4: Yes, I set my tour and travel for shows, so checking out my instagram, my link tree, TikTok, Twitter, whatever, you'll find my shows. But also I stream on Twitch and I have a podcast called dork Souls. It's pretty new. We're about ten episodes in. It's bi weekly with my friend Hector Navarro. He is a big comic book nerd. I'm a big gaming anime nerd. So we just talked about nerd stuff and would we'll probably have Dan and on there at some point. So you can check that out on everything on YouTube and all the things. I'm on everything. I'm too online. I love that for you.
Speaker 1: I think you for us in this space, and I don't really care. You know, we're not here to judge how healthy anyone's lifestyle is.
Speaker 4: Look at Dan, I want to fuck. I just made a fucking Donkey Kong in my dreams. So it's okay, Dan, what's.
Speaker 1: In your dreams?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: A lot of plane crashes?
Speaker 1: What anime?
Speaker 4: Horse girls?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna answer it. Yeah, I don't know. I'm always on a plane and there's always a crash.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Dan, what are you doing outside of this podcast? That's so stressful?
Speaker 3: It's the honest answer. I do a giant bomb dot com check it out. We are one Independent Now. I think we're doing some great stuff. I've been playing Pin My Ride for the PS two over there, I'm about to finish up, and Jeff Grubb is about to start playing a game for Blake Club that I think everyone's gonna enjoy quite a bit. So check out giant bomb.
Speaker 1: Dot com amazing. I also stream on Twitch. Usually every Monday, I stream an indie game or whatever I've got down the pipe, all good stuff. Yeah, I think I'm gonna I think I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 3: I will do it for you, Dan, I do it for you, do it for you Mary.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna do it for the Dan that believes in me, which is an anime reference that you won't get.
Speaker 4: La.
Speaker 1: Thanks He's sweet, sweet angel, and that's how you pass the best styll test.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: Thank you guys for listening and enjoying this experience with us. Maybe Oh we're so happy to have you, Lisa. Thank you for sharing your nerd culture with us. Everybody, go check out dork Souls and we'll see you on the next episode of the fire Escape Cast. As it said in its entirety, I'm marry the best host in the entire world.
Speaker 2: See you on the next one night by que