Speaker 1: Adventist Radio London inspiration.
Speaker 2: For the song.
Speaker 3: We Welcome the Talking Point with Ray.
Speaker 4: Sen you, Pedro Angeler discussing the hot topics and answering your questions.
Speaker 2: Saturday's five to seven pm.
Speaker 4: On Adventist Radio London.
Speaker 2: It's talking Point.
Speaker 4: It's talking Point. It's talking Point, it's talking Point.
Speaker 2: Your conversations you.
Speaker 5: Need to have.
Speaker 1: Good evening, Good evening, and welcome to talking Point. As our jingle says, these are real conversations you need to have. And i'd like to say and wish everybody a happy new year. Twenty twenty five is finally here and wow, how time has flown. I can't believe we've actually got here. Twenty twenty five is in the house. So I want to thank you for sticking with us. We were just sating I had a few little technical difficulties just then, but hopefully you're going to stick around with us for the rest of our show. This is Talking Point from five till seven on Adventist Radio London, and as our first one for the year, didn't really take a break. Actually, we're going to do a bit of a recap of some of the shows that we did last year, just to give you kind of an idea and set the scene for what's going to be coming. It's interesting. We just played a track by Donald Lawrence, The best is yet to come. We did some great shows last year and hopefully we're going to have some really good ones as well. We've been setting up, we're meeting people and you know, we're always asking people to come on the show and people are really keen to kind of tell their story and you know, if you would like to do the same, and we'd love to hear from you as well. You can definitely get in concert with us and we want to hear your stories. Well, no hear you joining the conversations that we have. So as usual, if you have contact details, I'll give you those right up front. You can get you can email us at studio at Adventage Radio dot London, or you can send us a text at eight triple to eight, write hope and then your message, or you can send us a WhatsApp message on zero seven four five nine six four to eight nine eight So again studio at Adventage Radio dot London. Text us on eight triple to eight, write hope and then your message, and or you can send us a WhatsApp message zero seven four five ninety six four to eight nine eight. So, as I said, this is our first show of twenty twenty five and we're going to be taking a little look back, just you know, give you a bit of a taste of some of the If you've missed any of our shows, I'll give you a bit of an idea of some of the topics that we covered and some of the people that we met. If you did want to listen to any of our shows. Many of our shows are podcasted, so you can look at those on spreaker dot com. Definitely have a listen. We have some really good guests on and we've covered some really important topics as well. And also we'd like to know what you would like to hear as well. We'd love to hear your stories and topics that you'd like to discuss and that we can talk about. But if you'd like to join that conversation, do you get in contact. So today I'm joined by one of my co hosts today, Zenya hopefully in she's in she's on the zoom today. I'm in the studio by myself today, so I'm going to have a quick chat with her shortly, but I'm going to play a clip of music to get us started, and again, this is a really good opportunity for us to play some really good music as well. So I'm going to pop in Hezekiah Walker every praise. Yeah, it's a great one there as well. So we'll be back after that.
Speaker 2: We can't worship.
Speaker 6: Where's all of my primers? I want everybody around the world and put.
Speaker 7: Your hand together, because I'm a praise for long time.
Speaker 2: Go here, we go.
Speaker 8: To our go.
Speaker 9: Everywhere from worship with one call, every prieze, every phrase, do our God, sing to our guards, coy hallehlua's do our guard, every prise, every praise to my God. Y'all got God help us singing heavy praise.
Speaker 6: It's toe. I gone.
Speaker 1: Every word the worst.
Speaker 4: We want to call.
Speaker 9: Every braid, every braids, it's whe God. Call everybody says to my God. Dory Holley Union, it's a God.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say every praise, say every phrase.
Speaker 9: It's to a God.
Speaker 2: Y'all gonna help me do it.
Speaker 9: You can take it out your praise.
Speaker 6: It's to God.
Speaker 2: Every ruder worship want to call, I'm gonna say every praise, every break.
Speaker 1: It's Hi God.
Speaker 6: I want everybody on over the world to.
Speaker 9: Say, my flu to my gods. Do me holley, it's to my gone. If it praise, if it praise, it's to our Gone.
Speaker 2: It's taken a more time.
Speaker 6: We can you wait? Anybody?
Speaker 2: Let me wear of worship with warm cord.
Speaker 9: Every praise, every praise, it's to our God. I don't care how I can feel it right now saying how lah h, my God, how that happen?
Speaker 6: Have you pray? We praise?
Speaker 1: It's time.
Speaker 6: This is not dumb.
Speaker 1: Uh say.
Speaker 6: Yes he is? Yes, he come inside? Can't he? Yes?
Speaker 10: He is?
Speaker 6: Yes, he is my check him. Maybe I didn't know he's here a sign.
Speaker 2: I didn't know he's a sign.
Speaker 6: Yes he is, Yes, yess yes as my.
Speaker 11: I mean.
Speaker 1: Shout yes. Every praise is to our God. Hezekiah Walker. So welcome to Talking Point, our first show of the twenty twenty five And yeah, it's quite exciting to be back for this new year. You know, when something kind of feels like twenty twenty five is coming, and all of a sudden it's really actually here, which is quite amazing. I have try and get myself my head around writing twenty twenty five you know, twenty twenty four is no more, so welcome to Talking Point. I'm joined as always with my trusty co host. One of my co hosts. The other one has deserted us today, no shade Pedro, But anyway, I'm here with Zenya.
Speaker 4: Who is answer for it?
Speaker 1: Who is on zoom with us today? Xenia? How are you?
Speaker 4: I am here? Let's put it that way. I'm just kind of recovering from about a flu or cold or a mashup of the two. Was sure. I still have this residual cough that doesn't want to go away, but pass worth and certainly thankful for being here, Thankful for walking into twenty twenty five. Thank God grace alone. So happy new Year to all our listeners. I hope you hearing me clearly, I think this the lust. I hope you've had a good start to your twenty twenty five and four days in and counting. But we give God all the praise and all the glory, for he is good, amend and.
Speaker 1: I hear you, and I can definitely empathize with the cold flu cough thing that seems to be going around go. I think every person that I can come across seems to be seems to be suffering or getting over. I know, I've had it twice right now, and usually I do quite well with I've done quite well. I had done quite well all year, and then I got hit with it. There's a moment you're kind of really busy, your run down, those germs and stuff flying around, you know they have but.
Speaker 4: The same I'm thankful, like I really didn't have much of illness or anything like that during the year, not that I can remember now. Goodness gracious to me, twenty twenty four really flew no pun intended, but yeah, it's really hit me. It's hit me good. But the timing is okay ish, things have slown down a little bit the break before you know, reality resumes, so hopefully I'll be back to full throttle by then.
Speaker 1: Good well, yeah, I hope you do make a full recovery. I mean, the challenge that I've had is that I haven't fully recovered, so it seems to be lingering and then it kind of flairs up again, which is not great. And unfortunately our hold household had it as well.
Speaker 4: So it's kind of recommendation is for people to just wrap back up. And I know there's there's whispers around that there is something COVID like circulating. Whether this is it or not, I'm not sure, but we need to get back onto our defenses or handwashing, our vitamin seed taking or ginger or honey, whatever it is that you normally can't copt news. Yeah, we need to get back to be vigilant.
Speaker 1: Yep, I've definitely we never really stopped, but I'm going natural. I'm taking medicines. Indeed, it's like, yep, I've got the whole shop bag, as it were.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I thought, you know, we're able.
Speaker 1: To walk into twenty twenty five with relatively good health as it were.
Speaker 4: Man, I want to also share. I know you gave the usual details for people to get in touch, but I thought that if we had a way for our listeners to communicate with us anonymously, that that might spur them on. And we keep asking week after week, and our listeners are quite they're there. You keep telling me that you bump into our listeners regularly and they say how much they enjoy the show, or they've listened, or they recognize your voice, but they don't usually get in touch. And I really can't stress it enough, how much more and honestly entertaining, because that's not the real ethos of the show, But how much more we can get out of the program if it were interacting, if persons were willing to share their input, their commentary. So I'm using slide do as an option to allow you to do that. So all you've got to do is find slider dot com online. Hopefully you've got resources to be able to find us online slider dot com, and you use the participation code two six ' nine nine seven nine four two. Sorry, that's two six nine seven nine four to two, and that will come through to us anonymously. And the questions on the floor are what would you like to hear more of on Talking Point? And which was your favorite program of twenty twenty four?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 1: Some good world?
Speaker 4: So so yeah, so I think I'm what twenty twenty five here right, Let's see if you can edit that. But yes, that's that's supposed to be the question, which is your favorite program of twenty twenty four? Slider dot com. Jump on in there. We won't know, I promise who it is, and as long as it's respectable, we shall share your commentary on there.
Speaker 1: Cool, So that's slider dot com.
Speaker 4: Slider dot com and the s l I D O do and then your participation code. It's going to be open for the next few days actually, so we will share what we capture now and then we will share what's left in the episode to come. Two six nine seventy nine for two is the participation code code lovely cool.
Speaker 1: So there's lots of ways to get in contact with us, and you know, as Zenya said, it always makes it really interesting if we want to hear your if we want to hear your thoughts. It's called talking point for a reason because we like to talk and I know people have lots of opinions, lots of thoughts as well, so definitely want to hear them. So yeah, get in contact whichever way the seven ways we've highlighted, So yeah, let us know your thoughts and what have you. But as always, before we get into a further discussion, let's pray for the program and then we'll continue. Father God, I want to thank you for blessing us today, Dear Lord. It's been our first birth of for twenty twenty five and I thank you, Dear Lord, that we have made it thus far. I prayed in Lord that you will help us to use this platform wisely. It's an opportunity and a privilege to be able to share with people. And I pray, dear Lord, that whatever we share can be a blessing to someone and ultimately bring them closer to you. I thank you for hearing and answering our prayers, the Lord, and the amazing things that you are going to do for us this year, And this is my prayer. Amen. Okay, so Xanya, how did you spend the break? How was your New year?
Speaker 12: How is?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it was a little bit too busy, and you were right, possibly why I ended up being poorly. Usually spend the Christmas out of town with family, so yeah, that's what we did this year, packed up as we always do, pack up the Christmas table and all, and went about our business and travel around that time. Here is hectic. It's busy, it's chaotic, you know, and uh yeah, I was exhausted by the end of it and slightly fluey at the end of it. But and that's what Christmas is about. It's no longer about the adults, it's about the kids. And certainly we had a good time, you know, play play play soft plays and you know, screaming children and oh my days, I'm to say to.
Speaker 11: All of this, but.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I certainly feel it from time to time. But they say, you know, they shall keep me young. So yeah, we were busy running behind screaming children and just having a good time and enjoying each other's company.
Speaker 2: And then.
Speaker 4: Once that was done, got back to London and found myself at the New Year's Eve, the lame of London New Year's Even celebration. Always wanted to go, always wanted to go, and finally found myself some tickets that were relatively reasonable. Picture was listening and going.
Speaker 1: Nad But but I guess you did it once, and I've done it years ago exactly paying that much money. But if anything, but you know, it's a you did it once, you.
Speaker 4: Don't want That's That's what I'd say to anybody who may be thinking of it, maybe wanting to go, and wants to brave the cold and the crowd the two season. Meanwhile, I had a cold, But yeah, if I hadn't booked the tickets and bought the tickets, I would not have left my house. But having said that, it was relatively mild and not windy where we were, though I had friends say that they have to rush in after fireworks were done because it was gusty where they were. But I'm not buying myself. And you know, in the area that was closest to the eye, the London I and the London Eye was featured quite heavily in this year's fireworks because they were celebrating twenty five years of its blessing beautifying the London skyline. So it was really, really, really really good. I thank the Lord for holding the weather, and it wasn't raining and I could feel my fingertips at the end of it. My nose wasn't falling off. You know, there's all the stuff I was bracing myself for what I did buy the tickets earlier this year, thought, oh my goodness, within the woolies and all that. I know, it wasn't necessary at all. It was just really nice, really really nice atmosphere. Not as energetic as I thought it would be. It really just kicked off a few minutes before midnight. Maybe it's where we were, I don't know, but we got there relatively early so we could secure a good spot because the crowds were manic, absolute madness. But we were there early enough, and adjusting only really began sort of towards midnight when people were trying to get better views. But I stood my ground place to say, I went live as well in IG So that was fun, and yeah, it was good and I crawled back into my bed and I haven't left since.
Speaker 1: Cool. So you're celebrated the new year, it was also a celebration of another sorts, if I remember right.
Speaker 4: Indeed, it's my anniversary. So many people are gonna go she's mad, yes, yes, yes, keeping it close to my chest because I just thought, let me, let me nurse this thing once it's it's blossoming. Because yeah, I find marriage. It's something you've got to just saturate in prayer and patience, you know. And I'm thankful, really really thankful to I found someone who loves even me as pesky and as troublesome as I can be. And others are shaking their head absolutely not. Yeah, No, I am an angel really, you know. He's been really good to myself and my family, and I'm really grateful. And some days are difficult, don't get me wrong. And I challenge anybody who says marriage is easy but well worth it. You know, I can't think of anybody else. I don't want to spend the rest of my life with them or things get difficult. That's what comes to mind.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: It's not for it's not the it's not a race for the swift. It's for those who endure so all the nice, majestic, romantic gesture to be underneath love that starry and glitzy skies. For my anniversary which is New Years And actually I've taken up all the all the show with my chatter.
Speaker 1: Sorry, that's that's that's what we're talking. That's what we do, as we say, we're looking back as it were, so an interesting Actually we haven't got any eclipse today on this one, but we had done when we do February. You know, we did a whole sort of series around relationships and marriage, and we have several couples on who were sharing their words of wisdom who've been married, you know for quite a long time, nineteen years, twenty years, thirty something years, and you're just like, wow, so yeah, sounds.
Speaker 4: So far away, my goodness. Yeah, And kudos to f to marriages and couples that.
Speaker 1: Stand the test of time, work hard to make it work as it were.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, absolutely absolutely all right. How about you? I mean again, do you spend your Christmas Alia again?
Speaker 1: Christmasas it was busy. I was thankful to be kind of off work for you know, the two weeks, which has been good. I went to some family friends for Christmas dinner and stuff, and that was, you know, it's really nice, you know, sort of lots of as you said, chaos, you know, lots of energy, kind of upbeat. I actually was very tired, and I actually believe I actually fell over on that day as well. So yeah, I stumbled something from the car, and I stumbled, as you do. I just thought, oh my goodness, well as I seem to do these days. So I kind of then felt really kind of a little sore and a bit tired. So I, you know, ends up sort of as I do quite often, fall asleep. But you know, it's some good food, had a laugh and stuff, so that was really cool.
Speaker 4: And then Dan, yeah, and then and christ to the Center Bill.
Speaker 1: Indeed, indeed in their New Years again, I was at church. I had a service bringing in there the new year. Then and then I did, unlike you, I did watch the fireworks. But I sat in the comfort of my house alma sofa, And it's funny because usually I would take pictures and make it look like I was if I'm really there. And I sat there for a moment and just thought, oh, I really can't be bothered to do that. And then I was like, I feel compelled. Actually I want to. I want to. I think over this last year, I've definitely been thinking about, you know, memories and the idea of and again we'll look, we'll talk a little bit about this in one of the shows that was quite dear to my heart in terms of you know, memories, making memories and preserving them as well, because at some points we may not have them, or we might not have people around and what have you. So I did actually take pictures like I was like, do you know what, Oh this is so great. I love this, So let me just you know, immortalize that as it were. So yeah, and then it's kind of suddenly it's all over and I should be back to work towards the end of next week. I've got a few more days off hopefully, So yeah, it has to get back into the swing of.
Speaker 4: Most people seem to have had two weeks off, which so you was full if you've used it to rest and recharged, because yeah, it's full frontal I imagine once everyone gets back, yes through the work doors.
Speaker 1: Yes, so yeah, okay, so here we are. That was twenty twenty four. So, as I said at the beginning, we're going to be looking back at some of the shows that we did throughout twenty twenty four. And I was thinking about today, I was where was I. I was reading today and listening to the service there, thinking about sort of what our purpose. The question was asked, you know, what's your purpose? And you know, sometimes you know this time of the year, people think about what they want to do when it changes, they want to make You know, I'm not necessarily big on resolutions necessarily, And I said, you know, I always if I'm going to make a resolution, I think you should be starting preparing that from like September, so kind of easing yourself in, as it were. But I do like to sometimes think of a particular word or a theme or something to kind of shape what's going through the new year. Haven't really this year, I haven't really I've not felt inspired just yet about something. Although I think the idea has been mulling in my head a little bit about new opportunities and seizing those new opportunities. So maybe the idea of newness and doing something new, whatever that looks like, maybe something to think about that which then kind of maybe think about, you know, then what you need to do to kind of maybe get to those points. I believe in preparation and planning and everything else. But this will bring us on to our first show that we did of twenty twenty four, the first shows that we did for that first month, where we had one of our Now, if you're a regulars and noted talking point, you know that we have our resident therapists. As much as our team likes to talk and I say our team, Zenya Pedro. We do have a new member as well, Malemba, and hopefully we'll hear from her throughout the year as well. But we have our practitioners on. We have our experts who would shed a light on many of the topics that we will talk about and bring that kind of professional expert for you. And so we had Alison A Waku who we've had on several times. She's you know, a therapist, she's an author and she does a whole heap. She does a whole heap of things. Actually, she actually came to our church to do we had a mental Health no Family Life day. She came and was the guest speak of that and actually I was doing an introduction, and you know, she's she does. She does so many different things, wear so many different hats. It's completely dedicated, you know, her life to kind of helping people, supporting people. But she's ultimately a child of God, and you know she's passionate about Christ and passionate for bringing people to Christ as well. So we started off the year with the series that she has created called Breaking Down Strongholds, And this is an opportunity to think about some of those things that really hold us back. And you know, sometimes we want to make new starts, we want to do something different, but there are things from our I say, our past. It could be something very present that stops us from doing that or makes it really difficult, and sometimes you know, we can't. It's not about this, you're doing all this by ourselves. You know, we've got to be close to God and allow Him to work through us as well. I'm really reminded of a visions four twenty two, where it says you were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires, to be made new in the attitude of your minds, and to be put on the new self created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness. Now we may read text like that, however, we know that life has a way of lifing and the idea of strongholds things that really hold us back are really real. So she kind of we spent the month going through various topics in themes that you know about things that can hold us back. But our first clip we're going to play today was just her really explaining a little bit about who she was and what she kind of based the series around. So I'm going to play this first clip now, yeah, and then we'll chat about that because I know, I learned a whole I learned a lot, and it was just it was a really really good series. I definitely definitely want to listen back. So let's have listened to Alison now, who.
Speaker 12: Haven't heard from me before? My name is Alison's surname is Awoku spelled a.
Speaker 8: W U k U.
Speaker 12: I'm a qualified counselor and accredited psychotherapist. What can I say. I'm a member of the Walking I'm church and just just a child of God.
Speaker 4: Really.
Speaker 12: I serve on various areas committees within within the Seven day Adventist Church, and it's it's just a pleasure to be back here. I'm just going to talk a bit about the series. Like Xenia said, it's a series that I've run for for my local church and for another small group, and I think that it's you know, I heard Pedro talking about having the right mindset in this new year, and I think it's it's serious to start the new year with We all will always say Happy New Year at the start of every new year. We know that as the year goes by, we will have challenges, and you know, some of these challenges are quite are quite strong, and well we'll will really derail derail us in many ways. And so we're here to talk about strongholds. Why here to talk about the things that kind of take over our minds, the things that really impact us very strongly. And how did the series come about? It came about really as a kind of a desire really to help people live more abundant lives. And you know it's really the background is taken from the Book of Second Corinthians, chapter ten, Versus three to five, where Paul is writing to the church in Koreans and he says, although we walk in the flesh, we do not walk against the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not canal, but mighty in God, for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments, and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ. So essentially, what we're looking to do here is wire looking to help people live life more abundantly. In twenty twenty four listeners to talking Point, we want all of us to experience more abundant living. In the Book of John ten verse ten, crisis I have come, but they may have life and have it more abundantly. And so we are really trying to focus here on physic, on emotional and mental wellbeing, which obviously does have a knock on effect on physical wellbeing. So that's what the series is about. Today we're just going to talk about an introduction, but next time we're going to be talking about worry, fear, and anxiety, so that impacts us. And then we'll be talking about dealing with depression and then anger and then coming trauma, dealing with rejection, and lastly we'll be looking at understanding our work. So that's an overview of the series.
Speaker 1: So that was a very quick introduction, as I said, of what the series was about. So Xanya, I know, we've got another clip. She mentioned the different topics that we covered. What are you What were your thoughts on this series that we did to start off our year.
Speaker 4: Okay, I found this on the web for this series that we did to start a fire.
Speaker 2: Check it out.
Speaker 1: That's my laptop thing weird things, interesting technology.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm sure the listeners have heard me, but kind I was gonna say bang on about I read this radio but yes it was. When I heard it a really good series, I thought it was worth sharing with our listeners, and so it was. The response. The feedback has been phenomenal and it's what it says on the tin. It's just a lot of wonderful nuggets as to how we could break the strongholds in or bring down the strongholds in our lives, and the topics were relevant and I'm certain if you have not dealt with one of these issues, you will. It's just life lives, and these things come up, they come up maybe once, they come up time and time again, and certainly if you have not leveraged this series, then you will find it useful at some point in your life. And as Angie said at the very top, they can be found on spreaker dot com, along with all the other programs that we want. Many of the other programs that we've done, uh, the one that resonates with me or I mean, all of them are really really packed. Depression. It was a really good one and Allison wrote down as she did with every topic, the nitty gritty, the biology that you know, the philosophy, the you know, the theology. We had it all in the series. And I know, Angie you said it as well. We were busy writing notes and Alison did say to us that that's what she really enjoyed about presenting the program on Talking Point is that we kept her on our toes. We were listening, we were paying attention, and we were asking the relevant questions. And not only did did we really benefit from the program, but like I said, the responses and the feedback from our listeners was that it was amazing and well worth tuning in for.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I really liked Yeah, No, I totally agree, and I really liked the way. I'm quite a visual person, and she was very descriptive in you know, brazy breaking things down, and I guess, you know, the idea of what of thinking about what a stronghold is and how that's used in different in different forms, but actually a stronghold potentially could be somewhere of protection, but if it all gets too much, then it actually works against us. I also love the fact that it was very it's very it was very biblicy based. You know, she not only sort of wrote things down in terms of what things were and gave some really practical suggestions on how to manage and cope with things, which things that we can do ourselves. But at the center of it, all, you know, was scripture encouraging verses, you know, looking to the Word of God for the inspiration and you know, the way in which we can do things. So I really I really did enjoy that, and I really how she sort of centered things around that way as well. So, yeah, and all the topics we know that you said they were all very they're all very relevant, and you know, we're going to listen to one around trauma shortly. But you know, again, they're things that we've probably all gone through on different levels and we'll probably.
Speaker 6: Will go through.
Speaker 1: Continued. And I did really like one of the ones that we kind of ended with a knowing your worth as well, because I think sometimes, you know, we may be going through all these challenges and sometimes we don't think we know, God loves us unconditionally, He gives us grace and mercy all the time, but yet sometimes we feel that we don't deserve that and we don't really recognize how valuable you we are, maybe because we're going through some of these challenges and maybe we're not coping so well and it makes us feel maybe that we're not trusting Him enough for not doing all the right things and everything else. But you know, that was a really that was a really poilliant one as well. So again, you know, when I thank Allison for sharing her passion, sharing her knowledge and her wisdom with this series, and you know, do check it out on Spreaker. But we're going to listen now to one of the clip from one of the shows around trauma and how we can manage and deal with trauma. So let's pop that one on the.
Speaker 4: That what is manifesting, what's above water, as it were, based on your analogy, is because of trauma, because there's so many other things that could be going on. Or is it always trauma if I'm if I'm depressed, if I'm if I am struggling with sleep, if I can't moderate my anger and my emotions. Is there always an underlying traumatic event that maybe I haven't really sort of discovered or focused on. Is that at what point then do I? Or is at this point that I go to the doctor or to to you know, a therapist and so forth and try to unpack what might be going on with me. So does that make sense?
Speaker 12: It does?
Speaker 3: It does absolutely.
Speaker 12: So what you're trying to do is look for the tell tale signs like this is actually as a result of trauma, not not just anything else. So I'd just like to say that every every behavior has a has a root and has a function, and it's likely that you know it's as a result of a trauma, or it's likely that it's as a result of something else. But how we know is we can think of, right, the way in which I'm behaving, is it proportionate to actually the situation, the circumstances around me. Now, if there's an overreaction, then it's wise to think, Okay, when was the last time, when it's another time that I felt this way and another time that I felt this way, because that could lead you to a traumatic situation, And how was that handle? How is the address? How did I feel at that time? Did I feel like really threatened? Did I feel like my life was in danger? Did I feel completely helpless? Do I have flashbacks about this situation? Is there any situation in my life that I have difficulties kind of moving on from because I have things that just bring back either the whole memory or bits of memory. Because you know some of these very strong reactions, it's.
Speaker 3: Likely that that connected to something else in the past.
Speaker 12: Otherwise your response would be proportionate to the situation at hand.
Speaker 3: So by yourself you can you can do a bit of.
Speaker 4: Kind of.
Speaker 3: Analysis.
Speaker 12: However, if you arrive at the point where you think, oh, there's something in my past that and you know what happens is a lot of people just try to get on, just keep going, depending on the culture. For some cultures are very much for you know, just keep going, you're going to be okay, or pray about it. It's going to be fine. But we have to understand that, you know, when it comes to trauma, there are things that are happening in your brain as part of a natural process because something's gone wrong.
Speaker 3: It's not you not wanting to move on.
Speaker 12: It's your brain playing back information because the hypo campus has not been able to function and store things us memory. The proof frontal cortex is not able to regulate the emotions as it should. So I think it's you know, as human beings, we are integrated beings. We're integrated with our present and our past are quite integrated. So it's really really important that we look out for the connections in our history or in our earlier or early significant experiences, because it's likely that those experiences are triggers, and you know, what's happening in the here and now is triggering memories from what's happening. So if your response is disproportionate to the situation at hand, then I'd say you need to investigate a bit more by just reflecting.
Speaker 3: When it's another time I felt this way.
Speaker 12: And if you're consciously and intentionally trying to avoid you know, reflecting or thinking of that thing that's happening in the past, because avoidance is one of the really big symptoms of PTSD, then you know that it's likely that there's trauma in the But then at that point you need to go.
Speaker 3: To a mental health professional or go to a GP to.
Speaker 12: Get referred to a mental health professional and get yourself assessed for trauma.
Speaker 3: There are quite specific assess men's for PTSD.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and when you as you're talking, I'm thinking that these cases may more relate to those small tea's that you're talking about. If it's a catastrophic or a very big tee, then you may be able to pinpoint what has caused this. But it's those small teas, you know, the abuse as a child by your father or whatever, or sexual abuse or that kind of those kinds of circumstances that might manifest themselves. And you know, you may be a relationship and you're not sure why you're responding to your husband or your wife that way, and it could be those underlying issues.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, it's like a chain reaction.
Speaker 1: What are you trying to say?
Speaker 4: Your line and look forget about all that other junk.
Speaker 1: This battle ain't yours.
Speaker 6: Yes, a low bring about and then shout.
Speaker 13: Yet me see it's no pay Jesus kid, feed theres bok heart that he cann died.
Speaker 1: He all things want, Yes.
Speaker 14: They do according to the fastest purpose.
Speaker 6: And this whole you.
Speaker 10: Madala, you and balcony I'm going through. Remember the god of the wls a chance to use.
Speaker 4: The battle.
Speaker 6: He is not, oh.
Speaker 1: Skins the world.
Speaker 13: We're gonna sell the meaddle.
Speaker 6: That all right, that is no sad. Jesus cannot be.
Speaker 14: Side that the mister is not able and willing to hate.
Speaker 6: Remember that all.
Speaker 14: They're not gonna be all good, but they.
Speaker 6: Shall on according to God's pragmas and his o meddle. No matter what you're doing.
Speaker 14: With broom retimber, God sees all that it knows.
Speaker 6: All it wants to do is choose you dispanti is yours. It's instance. It's the it's noticely God. And think you got to hold your head. Had you belong to the fust, you don't need to hurt. It's the wall, it's.
Speaker 2: The d.
Speaker 14: Killing yessiceelay, No matter what you're going through, Piper, it's gonna be here. He's just using.
Speaker 6: Don't matter what you're happen to go through. Man, Remember this would be a mini God is all in choosing. He's not happing. You got to knowing your hot. But no matter what comes, no matter what does God, he Lord he lost this fasts not you.
Speaker 10: He need tres approaching a men's good.
Speaker 6: I like you got to it. Hold on, can, hold down cold, don't.
Speaker 7: Get up, get, don't get don't get step out of the bait, step out of bite.
Speaker 6: Miss.
Speaker 1: Yes, no matter what you're going through, hold your head up, stick your chest out to remember, He's just using you, no matter what you're going through. God is just use you for The battle is not yours alone. Yes, that's your landa Adam, And that's a fitting song thinking about our first series that we did in January about breaking strongholds with Alison a Waku. Indeed, as much as she gave us some really practical advice, the battle is not just ours to deal within our own. The Lord has got us and he will bring you through. So that brings us nicely onto our next our next program that we're going to kind of feature now Zen. Yeah, this was I want to hand over to you on this one because this was one of your your favorites.
Speaker 4: Well, I just wanted to just go back to Alison, just a very quick point to remind our listeners that there is extra support out here. We speak of God's per personally, his strength and his ability to get us through the crisis, but He's also put people in positions that they can assist. We're talking therapists, psychotherapist, doctors, et cetera. We hope to maybe share some information on whom you can contact. Recently have our own counseling Christian counseling service.
Speaker 2: So do not.
Speaker 4: Attempt to tackle these big issues, especially if you start feeling overwhelmed by them on your own. Reach out and get the support that you need. And obviously if you're in a position to support someone, sign post someone, then do that as well. I think we all need to look out for each other within the church context and winin our own communities.
Speaker 1: Yes, definitely, definitely, And so yeah, that just.
Speaker 4: Leads me nice into Season Dialogue. I really enjoyed that program highlight for me and we were speaking with Lisa Lisa Marie and Season Dialogue has now become a six hundred thousand strong followers, a platform which she uses to do spoken word more than anything and encourage persons who are listening to her on several really crucial issues, whether she's talking about protecting your space, protecting your energy, whether she's talking about learning to let go, learning to live your best life, and which what was really good to hear her they in the podcast we did and in her podcast generally, is how she realies on God. You know, she shares that regularly, and it's really good to see people thriving, you know, but still putting God as a focus and not being afraid to do that because sometimes people who who want to the limelight or want to entertain a shy away from introducing God because they don't know who that might offend or whether that will mean losing, you know, certain communities and all that kind of thing. But she's bold enough and brave enough to say God is her center. God is the reason why she's got the success that she has. And I was talking to her the other day and just a side note, but I don't know if you're realizing it, but a lot of celebrities and people in power, a lot more of them are now talking about God. I don't know if life is lifeing for them as it lives for us all, but you're starting to realize. Like I was listening to a program yesterday with Jamie Fox, who had, you know, this major health issue last year, and in his stand up routine, he just acknowledges how he had gone far from God. And you know, this was a wake a call for him. And I'm hearing so many others say it. So to God with the glory, and they're using their platforms to lift God up, and he will only draw men and women to him. So really really pleased that she responded to the invitation and shared with us a little bit about her, a little bit about social media and what it means to have that kind of following and to keep producing authentically, and also she shared a little bit about I think she shared someone Praised for Me, which is one of her pieces about prayer and about God. So yeah, it was a really good time. I think you both also enjoyed the interaction, and it was our first time going live. That was a bit of an experience, but we can only get better at that and we're hoping to do more of that. And interestingly enough, a lot of people who I've connected to on Instagram, and I mean I've only got about ninety people on there, but it's so amazing how God works. And I just reach out and say, hey, I do a program talking point here the links if you like, if it's something you could be on board with, then please And so many people are responding, So many people who I didn't think would respond are responding. And I can only say, that's God.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting you're saying actually that, you know. Sometimes I don't know whether it's just some times we sometimes could be in our sort of own church bubble, and I think I don't think people are reversed to God, Christianity, spirituality, and I think maybe just the way society in the world is going that people are kind of looking for something more, you know, and you know, recognizing yeah, yeah there is something more and something that can interject Yeah, go ahead. Oh by the way, yes, let's still a quick introduction of our third co host, who we've alluded to earlier in the show. Butch me on the radio. I don't know what you're saying, Petrack for men.
Speaker 2: Out there everywhere. I had to come back on and be like, wait.
Speaker 1: A minute, I love it, welcome Pedro.
Speaker 2: Or whatever.
Speaker 15: I was just and by the way, yeah that was too much, but anyway, we won't go into that. Yeah we had a conversation offline on that one, but no, the other put I'm glad celeberties are doing that, but it's still an uphill battle in this well, it's not an uphill battle because God can make anything positive or make anything good, but they still trying to keep God out of it. Because I remember there was a football game just this week and the quarterback said first started off by saying all praises of God Almighty up above, you know, thinking for his gracious and when they want to give him the trope when it was time for the trophy, he was the MVP, and that they wouldn't let him on the stage, and it came out because he had thanked God before his and his other speech, so they would have let him up to speak again. They let all his teammates go up, but he was the only one that was left down on the battle because and they it came out there it was because he had thank God for you know, for the football game and everything. So you know, it's it's still they're still trying to push back some a little bit. Yeah, but I'm glad that but you're right, I'm glad that they are now, you know, saying it more and putting it out you know, putting it out there.
Speaker 2: And because I mean me going up, me living here.
Speaker 15: Now, I know if I say I'm a Christian or I believe in God, the looks I guess sometimes is just.
Speaker 2: Like what's that?
Speaker 15: Not even it's not even about God, or it's just like some some of them actually look like they don't even know what God.
Speaker 4: Is and that submission, isn't it. That's what we are here for to to, you know, lift him up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, once he's list your point because I was just listening to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, let's listen to a couple of clips from from Lisa Marie and season season dialogue.
Speaker 11: Chldren.
Speaker 16: Whatever you share on social media, is it something that years later you can look at it and it's still not you know, when are respectful? You know, if Mama saw it, would she be like.
Speaker 11: Oh, that's my baby, or we should be like take it down now, you know, have some form of respect. And also you know, it's such a different time with compared.
Speaker 16: To what I grew up on and what my kids sing the phone, the tablet is always in their hands. And I will say this, and I can't compare this. I don't have a girl, but I do have friends who have girls. And the images that are projected and that young girls see.
Speaker 11: It's disheartening. Yep, it's disheartening.
Speaker 16: There's not enough women being shown respectfully that have conversations that young women, young girls need to hear. And I also say that with what is the influence when it comes to.
Speaker 11: Men with.
Speaker 16: Words being said, the degrading of women, the lifestyles that they have. And so I think that when we put into our kids the grounding of what we raise them on, respect, love, honor.
Speaker 11: You know, dignity, buldren will be who they are.
Speaker 16: They will beer off a little bit, but I always believe that they will come back home, you know, of what they know.
Speaker 11: And with children, this is my relationship with my boys, and this is my belief. We have conversations. I'm gonna be honest with you. You know, even though your mom and we are opposite of sex, I see you and you can't. You cannot do anything that I don't know nothing about. So let's go ahead honest and have these conversations.
Speaker 16: And I think that as parents, when we don't fully in embrace them with maybe the conversations that they're willing to have, but then they pulled back, you missed that opportunity to be one on one with your children. So and we have to remember too, we were young kids as well. We didn't do everything perfect, you know, And so having that those conversations and even telling my boys, you know, your mama used to while aloud back.
Speaker 4: In the day, but.
Speaker 11: We're here.
Speaker 17: I understand that you are a teenager because these things. I also understand that you're gonna go through some growing pages, You're gonna make some mistakes, but I'm here to prevent you from making those mistakes and just being honest with your kids, honestly and not acting as if you.
Speaker 11: Are an angel, and that all your you know, your debth and none of us were perfect.
Speaker 1: Oh that was an interesting clique that one talking about, Yeah, parenting these conversations, any thought something like Petro fan Signa.
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah, it's funny.
Speaker 15: Tar and I were just talking about social media coming home today and how it's changed the outlook on everything our children do, and even like how we like when we grew up, we didn't you know when you didn't, it's not just what you see is what you hear, because it's like now everything could just be put on social media, where if something happened, you wouldn't see it right away. You would have to go look for it in the news or in the newspaper. But now you just go on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, you just go anywhere and you could just find it like instantaneously.
Speaker 2: It's just it's very quickly.
Speaker 15: And then it's always sometimes the wrong narrative that they put out there was like sensentualized things too more than what it really is, or they just take the clips they want so they can doctor it and then they can make it into what they what they want to portray instead of what really happened, and it's just putting a very distortion on our children and on ourselves. That's why I don't look at the news or anything anymore really, because it's always something negative. It's never really nothing positive that you see on the news. But I remember that conversation. I was trying to remember who that was because we've had a lot of.
Speaker 2: People this year.
Speaker 15: I can't remember people that I spoke to last month, So when he was talking about I was like, who's this again? When she started talking, I remember the memory did the live Instagram, so that's what made me remember who she was.
Speaker 4: But yeah, yeah, I wanted to I wanted to share that clip because as parents, I think I struggle. I'm not going to speak for everybody, but I struggle because social media has become so consuming. You know, my son can disappear into his room for hours, for hours on TikTok or Instagram or snapchat or whatever is that he's doing, and it's difficult to pull him away from that because this is what all his friends are doing. Fact, when I I say something, he says, oh, well my friends are on or my friends have just come on and we're just going to do something. And I'm like, well, don't they have stuff to do? Don't they have assignments? Don't they have chores? And he's like, no, mommy, only you get them. Okay, well we may have to change of friends then, but it's just it becomes so consuming. And that's why I chose that clip because I just want to remind our parents. You know, Lisa gives some advice there as a parent who's in the game, as it were, And just to remind our young people as well that what goes on to that phone, that you might use, that video, that you might share, that picture, it's there, you know, it's once you release that then you know, make sure it's something that you can stand by in years to come when you've had a change of mind or a change of boyfriend or whatever it is. Make sure that you can stand by what you've shared and not be ashamed of it if if circumstances changed, because you can't pull back what you expose on that platform, nor can you pull back what you're exposed to on that platform, as you're saying, Petru. So, yeah, it's really difficult to navigate, and it requires patience and persistence to be able to pull our children from them. And I think as well, we need to provide alternatives. Like my son's into sports, and I'm thankful that he is, because at least there are moments where he does put down the screen, he picks up the ball or whatever, you know. So we need to provide other opportunities and other outlets for our young people as well, otherwise they're going to be stuck on that and I'm afraid for what the generation will look like in Instagram. People who can't talk. Fact, that's how my son speaks to me. He will send me a TikTok message, TikTok videos like crazy. It would be will make their sons do chores, And that's the video, He'll said to me. And I'll watch it like and I'll send back sons who refuse to do true videos.
Speaker 2: You know, however you communicate it is okay, come to me and talk.
Speaker 4: No, he will send the video a clip of some boy goofing off about doing chores, and that's him saying to me how he feels about it. And I remember watching on some friend of mine share a video of her two kids at the kitchen table and the caption was they are actually arguing, that was her caption. And there's no conversation going other than they're just tapping away at their phones at the dining table. And that was the caption of the video. You will not believe that my kids are actually having a full blown argument. Here.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go a different way with you.
Speaker 15: I'm sorry, Angela, because I think as parents we need the one thing that as parents, some parents don't do it SA.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean by that is, you know, we're the parent the child.
Speaker 15: I know children have a little bit more saying and things, but like I tell my children the time, I'm here to protect you. So what you know, I'm not gonna do nothing that's gonna harm you, hurt you, or put you in danger. We have and also mainly anything like with special social media like mind the the ages. Don't let your child be on Facebook or TikTok if they on need ten yeah, you know, because the stuff that they can get exposed to can really hurt them. You know, they may come across somebody, may DM them, and then they don't even know what they're dealing with, and next thing you know, they're you know, they're in a conversation that they don't know how to get out of and they don't even tell you, and the next thing, you know, they can be you know, it's just so many bad things can happen.
Speaker 2: I go through my kids phones. I go through my kids phone.
Speaker 15: Like on a regular basis, not like every week, but I do go through their phones, like when being the go to bed, we may gonna put their phones down in the living room and then me and toy.
Speaker 2: We'll go through their phones and see what's on their phone, and.
Speaker 15: Then if you see something that we find a little bit sketchy, we'll just talk to We won't even accuse them or blame them. We'll just say, hey, I saw this on your phone. Was what was your thinking? You know, what was you thinking about? What was what was the idea? You know, and then we'll we'll talk to them about it.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 15: We don't never like sit there like like don't do this, like we don't do that to them because we don't want them to think they're doing something wrong, even though they kind of are. Just but just have just have to open up that dialogue, like you said, open up the dialogue and talk to them. Yeah, you know, just to show that you know that you that you are watching them, that you care for them.
Speaker 4: So yeah, yeah, yeah, I really appreciated her take from that. I think there's a different clip. But but Angie, we're pressed for time. We can certainly move on. I'll let you we can play.
Speaker 1: So I think she really, I mean I really did what she had to say. So we'll play this next one and then we'll move on.
Speaker 4: So heavy on oh oh oh my goodness, just so deep, so rich. I mean stuff like that where you are just thinking, okay, And for me, it's about you saying, listen, heavy on life, heavy on love. Let's go all the way in, you know, not not not halfway, not not man be pamby. I don't know if anyone knows that term. Not wishy washy, none of that kind of stuff. We're going all in and we're going one hundred percent for the things that are real, the things that matter, the things that we love, the things that we care about, the things that's good for us, heavy on and listen. I listened to that must spell. I don't even know how many times I've replayed that and replayed that and replayed that.
Speaker 5: Tell me.
Speaker 4: I mean, if you can recall that process, and we're gonna we may have to bring a few of the commentary in because I'm seeing stuff coming up on our screen, and maybe we can touch on summer or all of them. But where were you if you can recall when when you wrote that one, or what were you going through to make you pay that particular piece.
Speaker 16: I think for me, I was at a place of personal complacency and goodness.
Speaker 11: Sometimes placency can be bad where we're not, you know, moving forward.
Speaker 16: But from that moment of writing that, I felt like everything that I personally worked on with my peace, with my joy, with the love that I felt for myself and through.
Speaker 11: My partner and my children, I'm heavy on all of that. I'm heavy on the love of it.
Speaker 16: I'm heavy on my prayers, I'm heavy on God, I'm heavy on connecting with people like that. Was that that affirmation to say, I am good, I'm at this place where I'm heavy on all of these things that are included, and I'm happy in my life.
Speaker 11: I am happy.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a powerful piece that she did in which we didn't have that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was going to get it to share it as well, but I can't find it anymore and it would be a little bit sketchy to play from here. I don't know if if you can come across as it should. But yeah, she just dynamic and she shared her own. She shared a piece on the air as well, Somebody Prayed, which was just another amazing piece. And most of what she does just really resonates with me, and I'm certain it resonates with her audience because you can't get six hundred thousand followers if you're not connecting. So yeah, she's really doing wonderful things. I saw her post a post with one of the gentlemen from Fast and Furious. Can't remember his name is Tyres, Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And Bloody Black and Ball so yeah he's singer, yes he was.
Speaker 4: He sings and it's a caption you know, more to come. So it sounds like she's doing really big things with really big names, and I wish all the best. And she stays connected with me as well, which is which is unheard of. So I just yeah, it's it's good, cool, cool, cool, and I enjoyed that good.
Speaker 1: Okay, well we're going to go to a clip piece of music. This is your choice. Yeah, don't do it without me, Bishop Paul S. Morton, and then we'll come back with some a next show that we did for twenty twenty four.
Speaker 7: What you're doing in this seaes, please don't do it without to do it without me?
Speaker 18: You gotta tell it for yourself.
Speaker 11: What is.
Speaker 6: You doing in this sea? Either? Please?
Speaker 7: Pase, don't do it without me.
Speaker 1: Don't sue it with how me come.
Speaker 6: On here and said why you twoing him?
Speaker 11: Listen?
Speaker 2: Then please stop.
Speaker 18: You gotta tell him for yourself. You gotta tell them for yourself to come on, say and lost your.
Speaker 6: Meaning little in the seas enough please start do it?
Speaker 2: No no, no, no, no no no.
Speaker 18: Somebody's a feeling tonight.
Speaker 7: If you mean again like you said, if you.
Speaker 6: Listen, please stop no no no no, oh no mo.
Speaker 4: How prestigious is more.
Speaker 10: In the healing, in the healing.
Speaker 6: I'm not killing in the sea, please come.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I'm not.
Speaker 6: If Frony need a lasting, if I need a blood set, he's your see let's see see in this scene and talk. Don't want you to do it and help me?
Speaker 10: I don't.
Speaker 18: You got a lot of people to take care of.
Speaker 6: If you're less, see if your blessing see can I don't let you all please stop?
Speaker 11: No no no no.
Speaker 8: Got to want you to stay lass and.
Speaker 4: Say that mes.
Speaker 18: Let me hear you say.
Speaker 2: Please see the stuff.
Speaker 18: I know you got a lot of people to take care of the region. Need I want you to say about the music? Now you gotta say, I can mean it.
Speaker 7: If you want to be included, anybody want to be included, Lord Jesus.
Speaker 1: Please, whatever we do, don't do it without me as Bishop Paul S. Morton and as we are going into our new year, definitely don't do don't do life without the Lord. While with us, what we're encouraging you if you're just joining us. Hopefully you're not just joining us, but if you are, you're through into listen to talking Point.
Speaker 11: We are.
Speaker 1: So our first show of the year and we are doing a bit of a recap and looking back at some of the shows that we did in twenty twenty four. We had some amazing guests on sort of looking through our list and actually we probably could have done this show two or three times over with all the people that we've had on the show, with the stories that we've heard. But yeah, so we've talked a little bit about our first show that we did, of the series that we did of the year with Alison and Wookoo breaking down strongholds. Then we've just been looking at seasoned dialogue. Yeah, we've had some we've had some good shows, some thinking back, but we want to hear from you. So we've had a couple of there's several ways that you can get in contact with us. We really want to try and get some kind of more engagement from our listeners, So you can email us studio Testadventist Radio dot London. You can text us at eight triple to eight right hope and then your message we can send us a WhatsApp message zero seven four five nine six four two eight nine eights and then we've introduced another method as well send it over to you on this one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I've just thought that maybe for our listeners could respond anonymously that might spread them on. Not necessarily in this case, but we will look to introduce slide a bit more often in our conversations. But today the questions on the floor are what would you like to hear more of on Talking Point? And of course which was your favorite program of twenty twenty four. Slider is s l I d O dot com. If you just log on there or go on to that website and it willapse you for a participation called which is two six nine seven nine four two, and that will send you anonymously across to ourselves two six nine seven nine four to what would you like to hear more of on Talking Point? I personally would like to hear more from you? And also what or which was your favorite program of twenty twenty four?
Speaker 1: Cool, so lots of different ways to get in contact with us. We want to hear from you, so do share your thoughts in your comments. One of the things that we throughout this year we've heard from. We've had lots of really good guests on there, but we've heard some really personal stories, you know, various, So we're gonna hear a couple of things now, although there was one that we didn't actually we haven't put this in, but again we've heard some one of one that was really touching with We had a lady called Serena on Serena Pascal and sharing with us the loss of her son, so living with loss of parents story, which is a really touching one. Again, she's someone who does a lot and has shared her journey of her son who had a disability, had quite of rare condition and you know, he did quite some amazing things in you know, his short lifetime. But she really bravely shared her story with us. And we also had Cornerston counseling on as well, you know, sharing their insights on how to cope with a tragic loss like this. So yeah, throughout this year we have shared we've heard from some really personal stories which have been incredibly touching and we definitely appreciate all those contributions, which brings me on to again, I talk about personal stories, a topic that's did in my heart because I'm on that journey. We did a show for World Alzheimer's Day. Now, if any of you have listened or you know me, you may be aware that my mum is living with Alzheimer's. And actually I want to shouts out to my mum as well, because's actually her birthday to day she has entered twenty twenty five. She's reached seventy seven years old. And despite yes, and despite her challenges, you know, and living with an illness that is just devastating, you know, she does really well. I realize that, you know, I take it everywhere with her with b you know, and I'm sure and I know that's maybe challenging for her as well. But again, I talked a little bit about memories and trying to make memories for her because you know, sadly those are going but you know, Alzheimer's And there's been a lot about dementia as an umbrella term in the media. Most recently it seems to be a bit of a I think it's always been there, but it seems to be more. I don't if you call it an epidemic, but it is kind of almost like, you know, a top disease illness that seems to be hitting the nation. Lots of celebrities have been talking about it. You know, a lot of people that I speak to have their own stories of loved ones that are, you know, living with the disease. So we did some We did a show. We've done a couple of shows I'm looking at dementia. I mean, this year we had on and three guests for this show, a doctor who's done some research, another guest who has set up a support group, and then also I interviewed the manager of a day center that my mum goes to, which it has been a real godsend. I appreciate that I've been very blessed to have found good support and good resources that can support us on this journey. So we're going to talk to a couple of clips now. So the first one is from Doctrimonia Gaspar who is a general practitioner but has a definite interest in dementia and dementia especially within the black community, and she's done some research around that as well. So I'm gonna have a little listen to her viewpoints and then a little bit more about her research and then speak to the others as well. So let's have a quick listen.
Speaker 4: So again, thank you for joining us this evening.
Speaker 1: So tell us a little bit about yourself and what you do and how yeah, and how we've kind of connected here today.
Speaker 5: Do you blame everyone? Thank you so much, Angela, it's a real honor to be here. Thank you, Xenia, Thank you Pedro. My journe with dementia wasn't always very clear cut. I'm of Nigerian heritage, so we've got the African and we've got the Caribbean well represented. And I used to spend a lot of time with my grandmother, and now I know she had dementia, But then all I knew was that it was old age. And when I moved to the UK, I wanted to work with old people because of the relationship with my grandmother, and I met lots of old people.
Speaker 8: They were just like my grandma.
Speaker 5: And I got to find out that it wasn't old age, it was an illness, dementia, and that's when I started really getting involved in it. I'm a general practitioner by profession my day job, but every minute I have outside that, I'm spent advocating and trying to educate and enlighten people on dementia, primarily in the Afro Caribbean community, but everywhere else as well. I've just completed a degree with the University of London, Queen Mary and it's global public health, but we have to do issis on something close to our hearts. And I looked at dementia, which happens to be the twenty first century public health crisis.
Speaker 8: At the moment globally.
Speaker 5: So it's not just in the UK, it's not just in the Black African community, it's everywhere. And thank you so much for highlighting it. And I'm really honored to be here.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you, thank you so much for joining us. And yeah, it's going to be great to kind of get the different sides to as you said, is a kind of global crisis. So with that in mind, actually, Ammonia, could you just kind of it's a bit of a background about dimension Alzheimer's for any of our listeners who may not necessarily be familiar. I think many of us know the words and have heard of the terms, but I think there's probably and I guess maybe to kind of a bit of misconceptions at times as well. And I know dementia is becoming much more of a topic that's talked about. We're hearing about, you know, well known celebrities and sort of public people in the public eye who have you know, disclosed that they have been had they've had a diagnosis. But for any of our listeners who don't know what this is about, yeah, give us a bit of a background. And also, Michelle, if you've got any bits to add in, please do as well.
Speaker 5: Definitely, dementia is an umbrella term, so it's like saying you have a fever. It could be an ear infection, it could be a throat infection, it could be a urine infection, it could be meningitis, anything, and that's what dementia is. The there's more than two hundred type subtypes of dementia, but we hear about the commonest one, which is Alzheimer's, and about sixty to eighty percent of the population globally have Alzheimer's, but in the black community, the more prevalent type of dementia is vascular dementia. And there are two completely separate different kinds, So we use dementia and Alzheimer's interchangeably. But it's important to actually know what the diagnosis that one has or our loved ones have, And in my case, my family history was one of vascular dementia, which is very closely related to blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, that kind of thing as a different from Alzheimer's dementia, where there's lots of proteins that are fighting for space in the brain type of thing. Yeah, So in a nutshell, that's dementia. It's a medical condition, it's an illness. Children can get dementia, adults can get dementia, old age can get dementia. It can come from disease, it can come from trauma. So people who have head injury, either a major impact head injury or repeated bits of head injury, rugby players that kind of thing, they can all get dementia. So it's a very broad umbrella term for lots of different conditions.
Speaker 8: My research was looking at, I.
Speaker 5: Suppose a little bit of a contentious area, and I was looking specifically at Black Africans in the UK, because.
Speaker 8: As we all know, there's a big umbrella label.
Speaker 1: Just like dementia.
Speaker 5: We have a big umbrella label of Bain, Bame and under bane. You've got the Caribbeans, you've got the Africans, you've got the Sri Lankans, you've got the Irish, you've got the Japanese, you've got the Chinese, and we're all supposed to be one homogenous group. I'm not saying Black Africa is one homogenous group, but it kind of narrows it down a little bit. I think the cultural aspect is so important, you know, like Michelle said, you cannot assess somebody out of.
Speaker 8: Their culture because it's not going to make sense to them.
Speaker 5: I know one of my participants, her mother had a kind of dementia which is called fronto temporal dementia, and that tends to be quite common in the younger age group that's less than sixty five. And they were asking her questions about who's the Queen of England, and she was, what's my business with the Queen of England. You know, it doesn't mean that she has dementia because she doesn't know. We know that a lot of times is the short term memory that goes first and the longer term memory is there so these people regress, So you know, I have to put it in context of the culture. Maybe at that stage it would have been useful to ask us something related to her culture in the past, and you could assess a little bit more strategically that way. But I was looking at caregivers of people with dementia because they've got triple whammy, quadruple whammy, the black ethnicity, their caregivers, and the fact that their black ethnicity, their migrants in the ukmination second generation migrants, And I was coming at it from the point of intersectionality. And what that is is the challenges that they face is not because they're black. Well, it's not because they're females, and it's not because they're migrants. It's a combination of everything. There lots of things chipping away at them and they become unwell. They have to look after their loved ones, and it just dementia care givers. We know our second patients. Everybody who has dementia, you've got another patient who's looking after them. And if one in two people are going to get this disease or be a care of by twenty fifty, then it kind of works out that the entire population is going to be in trouble one way or the other. And what did I find that, Yes, we need to look at individuals in the context of their culture, in the context of their background, which is a very, very big ask for the government, but at least we know and then we can start chipping at it bit by bits in different ways like this forum as well.
Speaker 1: So there we heard from doctor Ammonia Gasper as a general practitioner and has done some research into dementias, especially with the afric Caribbean community. We also spoke to Michelle Guthrie who set up the nia coma Support Center support group, i should say, and spoke to Karen Jackson who runs the Frogmore Wellbeing center that my mum goes to. So again it's a personal story and I've really appreciated the conversation learnt a lot. You know, every day is a different day. Any kind of advice and support you can get has always been definitely useful. And again we will probably cover more about dementia because as she used as Ammonia has said, you know, it seems to be a global crisis that we're going through and with dementias, So again, definitely and where to listen if you can listen back to that on spreading her another personal story that we heard from and again there's different and one of the things that we do on Talking Point is highlight different awareness days and breast cancer is I'm trying to remember when the date is actually, but that's definitely.
Speaker 4: Something around there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'm gonna have have to send you up because this is one of if we do a look, we source our own guests, and we're always you know, different people where it's our friends or people that we meet from day to day. But this was a contact that you had and a friend of yours who kindly and bravely shared her story as well. Any thoughts on that's in you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you first of all to love Vetter for sharing her story, as you said, quite bravely and very very last minute and a very last minute request, like five minutes before. So bless her. When she listened back, she was like, oh that I talked to slower, I'm like, listen, I'm going to let the listeners know that you were not prepared it anyway, And that was so brave because even I I mean, if I haven't got four months notice, I'm not really prepared and comfortable. So it was really really brave of her. And I'm thankful because I'm sure she shared nuggets within there that people were able to glean from. And also to thank Nicole Nicole Chen, who is a breast cancer advocate champion as she works with women across the globe to help them better prepare and their families and their communities for the journey that is breast cancer and really powerful, powerful woman. You can tell from when she speaks the moment she speaks that she's you know, very aware, very informed, and very passionate about what she does. So yeah, let's listen to I'm not sure what I even coelected at this point now, but let's listen to what she had to say, or Lovetta had to say. Any surprise is anything that you thought you'd notice but it didn't happen as you thought it would. I mean, I know, when we talked cancer, we talked, you know, hear loss, so we talk about being weak.
Speaker 3: And and warn and not being able to eat.
Speaker 4: And all that kind of stuff. Did you see that did you not? Did that surprise you?
Speaker 8: What?
Speaker 4: What's what?
Speaker 8: What?
Speaker 4: What are some of the things that you didn't expect to see that you saw, or vice versa.
Speaker 8: What I didn't expect. Let me do it.
Speaker 4: Can I just say before you continue, love that I just want to let our listeners know that you very much accepted the invitation last minute to come on here, and I thought, that's so great. Thank you, very very very much. I know we we didn't have any pre conversations. You didn't have any free you know, any warning or anything like that. So you come on and I've just decided, you know what, you're willing to talk about this and hopefully encourage someone. So I want to make sure that the listeners understand where you come from here. And I want to thank you again for willing.
Speaker 8: Your phone call. I thought it was like a catch up phone call, but it was an invitation phone call.
Speaker 4: It was an invitation about five minutes ago. But yes, anyway, tell me what what surprised you about.
Speaker 8: I did get hair loss. Actually I went down to what my brother called baby Ostrich here and yes, he actually he actually helped me. I tried to keep it as long as possible, but one day I was brushing it, not even roughly, just gently, and it was coming out in clubs. So I was like, Okay, it's time to go. But yeah, my she's not. She was oncologist. She was the break count of specialist.
Speaker 2: She was.
Speaker 8: She was very much when I went into my concert, she will say, you know you will you lose your hair if you do get chemo. And I was like, okay, that's fine. And she she was I think she was surprised at the the level of the commences which I accepted. Here lost And I was like, because I told her, no, I look, I look great in wigs. I have a whole week collection. Don't worry about that.
Speaker 4: So that was that.
Speaker 8: But the I think one of the unexpected things was I got insomnia so I could go. It was like the whole days will I sleep maybe one or two hours?
Speaker 4: So I don't really hear that, No, you.
Speaker 8: Hear more, yeah, the but yeah I got but sometimes the it'll be fire my mama, who will go to sleep run about nine, But I'll be up until it's light again the next morning. So until the next morning and maybe then sleep with an hour and then get up again. Were you worried?
Speaker 11: Was that?
Speaker 2: Was that what it was?
Speaker 12: It's your.
Speaker 4: Do you think that's what it was?
Speaker 8: So I did?
Speaker 12: I did I did, you know, I did.
Speaker 8: Talk to my ecologists about that. Who who is a very nice man. He was doctor MacLeod.
Speaker 1: He was so good.
Speaker 8: He's very supportive as well. And one of the first things he asked when we came in me and my mom was do we believe in God? So my mom was like, no, this is the doctor to half. Yes, you want to have but yeah, and so he said, as long as you're you know, you don't feel any excessive tiredness after that, or and you're not you yourself are not worried about that, and you're getting at least some sleep. It's you said, it's it's a bit normal because so he said some yes, some people do have it. Now I'm back, I will sleep at nine. My body is like nope. Now nine o'clock comes, I'm like, time to go to bed.
Speaker 4: Okay, we'll make sure that you're you're ready for bed soon.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And and I think that's was the only thing was yeah, insomnia. And it wasn't a lack of appetite. But I would eat and get tired or let me halfway through a meal and my body is like, you have to rest.
Speaker 4: H Yeah, I've heard of that. As well.
Speaker 8: Yeah, h yeah, that was surprising to me. I was like, oh, I'm not going to take two or fifty in forms of something and then look, sorry, I have to wait a bit or have a map before I have to eat again. So yeah, that was that was the only thing that was unexpected.
Speaker 4: I would say, what advice would you give would you give someone who is going through what you've been through and what you are going through the journey of breast cancer.
Speaker 8: The only advice I would say is, especially if you're a person who has strong faith heat that mhm, heat that even when you have family around, sometimes you know, they can be overwhelming and they don't mean to be, but sometimes you just want to go off into a room or have some time to yourself, you know, some quiet time. And faith is a big part of that.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 8: What I have done, what I've started to do since years ago, was talk to God just as if he was right there in the room sitting next to me, m and you know, just you know, tell him about my day or even if you're complain Yeah, just talk as if you know you have your best friend there, how you would talk to your best friend and over the phone, an in person That's how I started to talk to God and I found that helped me so much. Another thing is accept accept help.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: You may think, you know, you don't want to inconvenience anybody, or you know you're a bit shy about it, but your friends and your family are there to support you and to help you out in whatever way they can, and one of those is to help you to accept it. You know you can, you can tell them now, of course you know, or you know it's too much. But once the help is offered or even given, accept it. Another thing is laugh as often as you can. Like Nicole said, laugh even if you have to find a funny video on YouTube or wherever.
Speaker 4: To start it.
Speaker 8: You just laugh. This is one of the big things me and my family do. We find a funny video, we share it, We laugh, We laugh as much as possible, and that has, you know, you relieve stress or relieves some of the pent up anxiety you may have, and it helps you, you know, for your day to day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, love it, And never said do you have I love.
Speaker 1: I love what you're saying in terms of speaking to God as if he's sitting right next to you. And I know I mentioned before that, there are many, you know, texts in God's where that are there for encouragement. Do you have a particular favorite Bible text or do you have a song or anything that you kind of have found that you kind of go to.
Speaker 8: Is your go to form of support or anything.
Speaker 10: I have?
Speaker 8: I have leny, but one of my one of the ones is trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean on your own understanding and then all your ways and he will direct your path.
Speaker 1: Okay, So that was Levetta sharing her story and her experience of deal with breast cancer, and as Zedi has said, it was kind of a sort of the last but requests as it were, for us to come on and share her experience, which we are ever so grateful and similarly with all our guests that we've had on who've shared really personal stories and their experience, it's been you know, really touching, really grateful to hear. And again, if you would like to come on and talk about your experience, Like I said, we do highlight lots of awareness days. There are days for most things, but we definitely want to talk about you know, specific illnesses, diseases, conditions and experiences that people are going through because somewhere the advice and information that we're hearing can maybe help somebody who is listening. So sonya any other a couple more that we were going to be run as sadly running out time, we wanted to talk about a couple of folk. Yeah. No, again, every show that we do is a part there's going to be a part two, part three. But another guest that we had on something that again that you had met on them. Did you make them through social media?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, I met him an event, but yes, we were going to share a bit of his his program for his conversation with us, another really good program. He is one of my countrymen, and sadly, you know, the prophet has no honor, but the point is, and the fact is he is a really dynamic speaker and really gave good insight to you know, his journey and also what he proposes as a means to success too, and obviously the Bible God is at the foundation of that. So it was really really good to talk to him. I know he has a lot of plans for twenty twenty five, some of us may or may some of them may or may not involve us because we are thinking of maybe doing a bit more programming on the road. I know we've spoken many many times about our workshop type setting where we can get our listeners in the building and hear from them directly, and he wants to do something similar. So God is doing something and we'll just make sure that we are ready and available when he's ready to move. And I don't even want to start sort of calling names and recounting shows because then I'm going to get in trouble. But I definitely have to say thank you to Mark Semple and the entire Cornerstone Tempe, who's the leader of normally orchestraate the programming, and who who comes on for me and with me. I need to shout out both of them and to say thank you for their continued partnership with a talking point and Petro, I think this is a good point for you to jump in and talk a little bit about that one show that we purposely have not recapped because we want to do a whole series around it in the new year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the men's program that we just did about a month ago.
Speaker 15: We had the different we had I forgot the doctor's name, oh my goodness, but we had the doctor talk about health that we had. We talked about mental health, we talked about physical health, spiritual health, and we're going to do a part two because we got into real good discussion and as we found out, it can as you say, we always say, we can't get it all at one show.
Speaker 2: So in the new year, we will be Yeah, this year.
Speaker 15: We will be setting up we'll be doing a short series or programs on men's.
Speaker 2: On the men and just focusing again on.
Speaker 15: Mental health, spirituality, physicality from a biblical standpoint and from a physical standpoint, and just from just health wise and just how men can better navigate the world as we see as the world is today.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the definitely was also we want to we want to.
Speaker 1: Sorry, there's a little bit of controversy where we were talking about relationships as well, so oh.
Speaker 15: Yeah, right downside, I forgot all about that. Yeah, that's so bad, since I do want on marriage, but yeah, on relationships, I forgot all about that one.
Speaker 2: Sorry. That's that's also the.
Speaker 15: Main part too, because that's well, I guess in my mind, the relationship is a part of the mental aspect of the male, because you know, if you're mentally healthy, then your relationship is going to be healthy. So that's probably what I was thinking in my head. So that's why I didn't think of it as relationship. But yes, also in relationships single and married and divorced, we're going to do like the whole aspect to the whole, encompass the whole, you know, being of everything of being a male in today's world.
Speaker 4: I think we want to hopefully the gentlemen who were on for that show, and it turned out to be a very first a controversial show or it certainly sparked a lot of conversation and we were really really enjoying that and to the point that we've decided we're going to do an entire series, as pet just said, so February, God's willing. I've already asked Mark Semple. I know, Angie, you've already spoken to the guys about coming back. We want to do a full series in February about relationships, and I'm looking forward to doing that entire month of February around that conversation and building it out in whichever way the Lord leads. So yeah, stay tuned for that, and maybe we can have slighter in that conversation, and therefore we would get a bit more commentary coming in as well, so yeah, something to look forward to. We're also looking to do a Bible based program or series that's also in the works. I've also spoken to the head of HR for Amazon Web Services. That was a really dynamic conversation that we want to bake into a more broader series with some other HR professionals. So for those of you who have HR questions or our HR leaders, then reach out and we can definitely continue the conversation with you. So yeah, that's some of the things that I know we're thinking of. Angie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, again looking at some people, you know, from the creative art side of things as well, because ultimately what we're you know, one of the things that we really want to highlight is the ministry work that people do, the way in which they can evangelize, the way they can spread the gospel, and there's so many different ways of doing that, and we've spoken to some people throughout this year, this year, last year, and we want to do that again. You know, there are so many creative ways to spread God's word and to bring people closer to God. So we'll be speaking to several people who utilize their skills and talents to do just that. And again there'll also be time where we'll just be talking about ourselves, sharing our favorite music and some of our own kind of thoughts and experiences as well. We're on this journey together. So yeah, we're looking forward to bringing you another year of Talking Point and hopefully hearing from you guys as well. And as on you did allude to, hopefully we may do a few more talking parts talking Points on the road code. So if you're interested in us coming to your church to do a program, whether it's a live show possibly or to record for a future broadcast, then do get in contact with us. We'd love to come and visit, and yeah, and sharing your time as well. And as I said that, our time has fast gone first, yes disappeared. I've looked around at the clock and I'm like, oh, it is that time already. I want to thank you all for joining us for talking Points and I very sort of whistle stop tour of the last of twenty twenty four. There were so many really good shows that we could have findited go ahead, ZNYA.
Speaker 4: Sorry I didn't want I didn't want you to close out without sharing that we did have a few responses. Yes, I don't thank you for that two six nine seven nine four. To keep the responses coming, and we'll share that on the next program. But chicily pedro slip and said he wants more marriage and men's programs. I said, it's spread, droom. This is not the point of anonymous context, but blessing.
Speaker 2: I should put it in the wongs.
Speaker 15: But I was saying, I enjoyed the marriage and men's, all right, and then if you know, it's the last part I put.
Speaker 2: I especially enjoyed the one we did with the.
Speaker 15: Lady who had the son with the health problems, and I thought that was a really powerful one.
Speaker 2: You read the whole I was coming there.
Speaker 4: I was coming there. That was the one on grief that we unfortunately didn't capture. But we're looking forward to bringing her back on I think she's written a few pages in a book or a book, or chapters in a book, and we're looking to talk to her further. Another person was jumped in and said, more joyful and upbeat programming. And I get that because sometimes talking point can be heavy, or most times it can be a heavy discussion, a heavy conversation, and we acknowledge that because we deal with heavy topics, heavy issues, but it's always good to interject some humor, some fun, some laughter, some songs, and that's why we often do or we sometimes do programs which are just laid back music what we enjoy in and I think Angela you've mentioned that as well. What we might use slider to do as well is to allow you to feed questions that you just want to tackle. We've always been talking about an anonymous, an agony ant aspect of the show where people can just throw in their dilemmas and we can unpack them. So maybe that's an option where we can use Slider Fielder to share what you might be dealing with, and we'll maybe structure a program or a segment of each program around that. So that's just a few of the things. I'm going to be quiet now over to you again.
Speaker 1: Sorry, fine, you know it's been our time has been well spent, I believes, so I want to thank you for sticking with us throughout twenty twenty four, and I hope you'll continue to listen in on twenty twenty five. As we said, we want to hear from you if you want to be part of the show always welcome to looking for guests, and that's often been a few times where we've opened up our zoom calls. So if you want to join in the conversation directly, you can as well. So there's lots of different different options on how you can get in, get involved, and get in contact with us. So I want to thank you for being with us this evening. I'm going to do my usual guess what I'm going to ask you to do.
Speaker 15: I know that's why last Sunday I saw you if we had the meeting, and they was like, you pray.
Speaker 2: I've got to tell you that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know that I'm adverse praying or anything like that, but.
Speaker 2: I was like, yeah, yes, so yeah, mys do that.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Okay, let's be us right and coughing.
Speaker 2: Heaveny five.
Speaker 15: We want to thank you for bringing us to another talking point session with Thank you Lord for allowing us to go back and reversit the past twenty twenty four of all the wonderful guests and ideas that we had during that time and discussions as we go forward to twenty twenty five reacts Lord that you are guiders, leaders, and directors in the path that you want us to go to give the programs and tackle the issues that need to be tackled at that time, that we may be able to encourage ourselves and encourage the folks listening in radio land, so that we can all be blessed and learn something more about your love and your blessing and how to be better Christians.
Speaker 2: For you the beer.
Speaker 15: First, about the rest of this week as we start the new week and to the new year, and continue to bless us each and every day for the Uperni your holy name.
Speaker 4: Amen, Amen, Amen.
Speaker 1: So that's been talking point. Thank you for listening. Join us again next week. Enjoy the rest of your weekend and the rest of your week, and I pray that twenty twenty five will be a blessed one for you all. Any other final thoughts for you guys, just saying goodbye, have.
Speaker 4: A good week.
Speaker 2: Okay, say goodbye, have a good week. Cool bash me on the radio.
Speaker 8: What you mean.
Speaker 1: And with that, I'm gonna We're gonna end with Kurt.
Speaker 2: Franklin abandoned you or something today, I.
Speaker 1: Mean abandoned left us. I mean, you know it's going to be a brand to day. Kurt Franklin, have a good evening, take care, bye.
Speaker 2: Bye, take care bye bye.
Speaker 1: Adventist Radio London inspiration
Speaker 2: For the song