Speaker 1: KFI AM six forty. You're listening to Dean Sharp The House Whisper on demand on the iHeart Radio app KFI AM six forty live streaming and HD everywhere on the iHeart Radio app. Hey, welcome home. I'm Dean Sharp the House Whisper. I design custom homes, I build custom homes, and on the weekends, here I am your guide to better understanding that place where you live. I'm just here to hang out with you, see, get you started on your weekend, right and you know, help you figure out what's going on with your home. That's where we live, right It is ground central, ground central, ground zero, life central for all of us. You know, we all share this thing in common, and that is, you know, no matter what it looks like, whether it's a cottage or a condo or a castle or anything in between, we live at home, and we start our days at home. We sleep at home, and home is what it's all about for us. And I am here. What I'm all about is helping you get through it and figure it out, make it better, prove your life and the quality of every minute that you spend in that space. And today on the show, we get to do one of the things that I just absolutely love, maybe the thing I love more than anything, and I do love talking to you about your home and bringing you all sorts of insight and innovation, whether it's from a construction perspective or a design perspective. In fact, Tomorrow Tomorrow, the Big Show. Tomorrow, from nine to noon, we're going to be talking cabinets. Because it's spring, it is renovation season upon us. People are thinking about making changes, gutting that old kitchen. It's time for a new kitchen, that kind of thing. We're going to be spending three hours on our next episode, Tomorrow's show, Tomorrow's broadcast, talking about all things cabinetry with perhaps the one person who may know more about cabinets than me, and that is John Cardero from The Kitchen Store. It's going to be a great show spending the day with John, you talking nothing but cabinetry and giving you the insight into what's going on and what's happening in the world of cabinetry. That's Tomorrow's show. But today, what is it? It's calls. I just want to talk to you today. Anything that's going on with your home today. You give me a call, design, construction, DIY. Here's the number eight three three two. Ask Dean A three three the numeral two ask Dean eight three three to ask Dean, it just rolls off the tongue. And I would love nothing more than to talk to you about what's going on with your home. The phone lines are open right now. Let me introduce our awesome Sam is on the board. Yes, give him a hand, everybody. Sam and Wrestling are not quite live studio audience this morning, as he always does. Good morning Sam, Good morning Dean. How you doing today. I'm good. I'm good. I'm good considering the week it's been, I am really good, real good to hear it's been a week for everybody. But yeah, it's been a week. Wow. But I'm just thrilled to be here. Golden Mike winning producer Richie Quintero is standing by to take your call. Not near a microphone. He doesn't deserve a microe. He don't get a micy. You get a microphone near that guy to turn to gold Yeah. No, Richie won a Golden Mic this last week. It was announced. Fantastic. He's great, He's just the best. And guess what if you call in, you get to talk to Richie this morning. Congratulate him on the Golden mic Win when you talk to him, because Ritchie is screening our calls this morning. He'll tell you everything you need to know. Pop you into the queue. You can listen to the show while you wait. And of course, my buddy Eileen Gonzalez at the news desk. Good morning, Eileen, Good morning sunshine, and congratulations to Richie. Right, isn't that great? That's awesome. One day I may be on a list with not a not a most wanted list. I want to I'm sure you're on some list somewhere. Oh, I'm on the list, believe me. I'm on some lists. I'm at the top of some list. I'm sure your wife has a list. She's on my list. Anyway, all right, what flavorite tea do we have this morning? Eileen? It is a green tea today. I need a little extra caffeine. How to cold this week? So there you go, right, Why are you feeling better?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I'm definitely compared to last week. Yeah, all right, Well, as always, it's good to work with you. Same here, always sitting across the table from me, my better half, the one who holds my list, my design partner, my best friend in the world, and quite often the reason I roll out of bed in the morning. Tina is here, Ah, welcome home. How you doing, Bud? I am great? And I had a tea yesterday that was from Starbucks because I don't drink their coffee Starbucks.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: I ordered it for you while you were in the bathroom. Yeah, it was beautiful. You said, just give me a green tea, and I said, give me a ca cam a meal tea. And they had this Kaba meal tea that had mint and green tea and it was so good. Yeah, I'm glad it was good because my reaction was, I just ordered a can of meal tea. That can I just get a camera? Oh? Our Cama meal has mint and also some green tea in it. I'm like, can I can I just get a damn cam a meal tea? Well? It was a good it was. It's just simple. It's a tea bag. Why does everything at Starbucks have to be a cocktail everything? You know, what are they hiding? What they hiding? All right, y'all, we're gonna get rolling. Hey, we've got calls on the board. You know what that means. It means, right, after Eileen gives us some news, We're gonna dive in and talk to you about what's going on with your home. Cannot wait your home with Dean Sharp, the house whisper damp I Dean Sharp, the house whisper. Hey again, whether your home is a condo, cottage, castle, doesn't matter to me. The rules apply across the board, and I am here to help you take it to the next level. That is one of our primary messages here on the program. It's the thing that is missing from most main stream middle class homes is what we learn when we work in the high end luxury market, and that is simply that good architecture, good design, good construction thinking. You know, everybody deserves that. Everybody does, and it makes all the difference in the world. So that's why I'm here for you, the people's designer, as it were, right, bringing those truths across the board to everybody. Anyway, we are all taking calls today and I want to just jump into the phones and get it going. Let's talk to Judy. Hey, Judy, welcome home.
Speaker 4: Hi, Good morning, Jane.
Speaker 1: Good morning. How are you doing.
Speaker 4: I'm doing great this morning. My eyes popped open about five or six, and I thought, oh boy, I'm going to be first. Anyhow, nice to talk to you. I wonder, I wonder if you can recommend a product for the shower floor, a shower from the eighties that has the four inch square slippery tiles that would prevent slippage. Something possibly could be painted on or uh and that would also be cleanable as well as you age, those tiles get slippery and slippery are and uh without tearing out the shower? Is there something that you could recommend to help uh? Yeah, put a little grittiness on the floor.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And here's the nice news, Judy, it doesn't have to be gritty. Okay, oh good good. So it doesn't have to You don't have to You don't have to resort to kind of uh. And I know what you're talking about. You you're imagining these uh, these sand based roll on coatings that you've used.
Speaker 4: I am that's what I was doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, in certain places that you know, you're basically like, how do they stick those granules of sand down to that floor? And uh? And it can you know, I mean, for for certain applications, those things are great, but I don't think any of us really want that in the bottom of our shower. Uh. And and plus you know, it changes the appearance and it and it it's going to change the you know, the the ease of cleaning it. And so I say, let's not do that. Fortunately, fortunately, the world is full of well I don't know about full, but there are plenty of decent, well proven UH coatings out there that are completely transparent and clear but will change the way you get traction on tile in your shower.
Speaker 4: That is incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it is, it is. It's really nice. It's they're anti slip coatings. Now you will have to keep up with it, that's the thing, you know, because it's a coating on top of your tile, and it will eventually, you know, as you clean it and scrub the bottom of the shower or whatever, and you know, eventually you'll wear through that coating again and you'll reapply it. But also the good news is these aren't expensive things, depending on you know, who you go with, and and and just generally speaking, there's a there's a range. You know, you can get some some sealants out there in the twenty to thirty dollars range, and you can get some sealants out there in the you know, closer to one hundred dollars range for a gallon or two. But the point is they are they have a very low what we call slip coefficient coating. They are basically anti slip coatings, and they do really significantly change the way you feel when you're standing on them. It's not that they're tacky or sticky anything like that. They just they're they're basically kind of hydrophobic coatings, what we call hydrophone big coatings. They don't allow water molecules to form a layer on top of them, and as a result, it gets this really nice kind of contact without feeling scratchy or weird. Here's the great news. Also, you can go on Amazon and find them. You can go down to Low's or Home Depot or your hardware store and find them. All you do is ask for, Hey, I'm looking for an anti slip coding for tile. But I will give you a couple of recommendations. I happen to like stone Grip, and I happen to like anything that is anti slip from Miracle Sealants. Okay, these are companies that have been providing coadings for the tile industry for decades. They're proven their professional grade. But they're also totally available to you at your local big box or hardware store or on Amazon place like that Miracle Sealants or Stone Grip.
Speaker 4: Okay, I can't thank you enough. It's really going to be it's really going to change everything. Really, it'll be fabulous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think I think you'll find you'll I think you'll find that. I mean, they's no joke, they're not there. It's it's not a joke. It really does affect the way. And the nice thing is you could even you know, apply it to the tile outside the shower. You know, you could apply it to the tile on the main bathroom floor. That's a concern for a lot of people who have older tiles that are overly slippery as well. And uh and so just you know, consider it. But give it a try, give it a try. See how it works for you. I've heard very very.
Speaker 4: Do you just painted on.
Speaker 1: The Yeah, yeah, you just yeah, it's you don't even have to paint it, really, I mean you can you can pour some onto a sponge and just kind of sponge it on and let the coat dry. And you know, I mean there are conditions. You want to make sure that the floor is really clean, the best it's been in a long long time. Open up the porosity of the rout all that kind of stuff. So they're thinking, you know, a few steps you have to go through, but it's it's not rocket science, it really is.
Speaker 4: All right. Thank you again, Dan very much. Love your dream, absolutely love it.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, and thanks for getting up early and being our first caller this morning. Let's hear it for Jody. Everybody whoa all right, y'all, let's get some news from Eileen Gonzalez and we will continue with your calls.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Home with Dean Sharp on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Kf I AM six forty live streaming and HD everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Hey, it's Dean Sharp the house whisper here with you again every Saturday morning from six to eight Pacific time, Sunday mornings nine to noon Pacific time. Yes, Yes, I'm live, I'm right here. How do I give me a newspaper? What are those? I don't even remember? Let's find some way of a proof of life. That's what I want. I'm going to hold up a date, take a picture, We'll put it on social media. Yes, we're live. We are live, unless, of course, you are listening to the podcast at a later date. And you know, every episode we ever do goes into podcast form and lives on our podcast where you can listen to it on demand on the free iHeartRadio app, or wherever it doesn't matter, wherever Apple Podcasts, Spotify, wherever you listen to your favorite podcast. We're there. We're there. You just the search for Dean Sharp, Home with Dean, Dean, the House Whisper, whatever the case may be, you'll see I'll pop up hundreds of episodes there waiting for you. And today I am doing my all time favorite thing, which is just talking to you about your home. I'm taking calls. You wouldn't think. You wouldn't think it's six thirty in the morning that we would have a board full of calls here in southern California, But yeah, yeah we do. And I'm just I'm so honored and touched by it. So let's get back into it and uh, let's, you know, solve some problems. I want to talk to Uh, I want to talk to Laura. Hey, Laura, welcome home.
Speaker 2: Hi, Dean. I have a mailbox post that the HLA several years ago fixed it because it was wobbily. They put some concrete around it to hold it in place. I share this mailbox post with three other homeowners. It happens to be on my property. The home at the HOA no longer fixes the wobbly post that I have now is now based on now put onto the homeowners to fix it. So it's on my property. I have to fix it. I got the post foe the other day, but it says it doesn't work. It doesn't work with near concrete. Is that a still? Can I use that to fill the space between the soil and the concrete that's holding up the post? Or okay, of sticks to make it not so wobbly.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, so let's let's kind of let's let's flesh this out. You've got a is it like a four by four post, like a wooden post.
Speaker 2: Yes, that has concrete, a cylinder concrete. You know, they put a form around it for some concrete. And now what's that's around the post? The concrete is up against the soil.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so but the but the but the post, So it's got concrete around it all four sides. It's surrounded by by the concrete at this point, okay, and yet the post is wobbling. So basically the concrete now is acting like a little hinge underneath the soil is all loosey goosey, and uh, the concrete collar as it were. Of course, the post isn't moving there, but the whole thing is wobbling on the top because you can because the soil is given out underneath, right, yes, correct, Okay. So I've got one critical question for you, and that is is that post loose enough that it can be pulled out of its concretes? Leave there?
Speaker 2: It can't be pulled out of the concrete. It might the whole fig with the concrete might be able to be pulled out, but not in the concrete it happen to come out with the post. We have not attempted that to pull everything out.
Speaker 1: Okay, I would because because the question of whether the foam will work for you, and I think probably, you know, I mean, that's that's where I would make my first turn. Expansive foam post postthole foam, okay. And the reason is because it'll find all those crevices it'll put pressure on it, pressure on the soil around it, it'll it'll tend to lock the post in. But the point is we've got to get access to the whole, h you know, without so here here's here would be my goal. My goal would be, can we wiggle that post enough to actually wiggle it and lit and put some lift on it so that we can actually pull it through, you know, without messing up the concrete, without disturbing the concrete. Can we pull it through its hole and just leave that four by four inch hole in the concrete and then you know, whatever down chasm is down below it, if you can pull the post out of that hole and leave the concrete in place, is it like a concrete sidewalk pad now that it's around it, or is it just a clump of concrete that they put.
Speaker 2: Around It's a clump of concrete they put around the post that's in one of my flower beds. So the post can't come out of the concrete.
Speaker 1: But the whole thing could come out.
Speaker 2: Possibly we had not attempted that, but possibly the whole post with the concrete that's in the farm.
Speaker 1: Okay, so yeah, if it's not like just can if it's not like a finished concrete thing, you know that's sitting as a part of a sidewalk. Then yeah, I would have just attempt to get the whole thing out of the hole, the whole thing out of the hole, and then yeah, the expansive post hole foam would be, in my opinion, your best bet because it will it will help to push against that light, loose soil. It sounds like, you know, whatever went down in that hole when they quote unquote fixed this issue, they just did not They didn't go deep enough, They didn't make the concrete. You know that the post is sitting in thick enough, wide enough. I mean, there's there's so many you would think that you would think it's a pretty simple process, and actually it is a very simple process, but people skip over steps and as a result you end up with something that's just like wonky and not working. And so the post hole cement is so easy to use. You cut it open, I mean you mix it, you break the inner bag, you mix it around so that the catalyst and the foam actually mix together. You cut it open, you pour it down into a well prepared hole. You stick a new post or the old post in there. And hold it plumb for just a couple of minutes. The foam expands like crazy. It locks the post in. It water proofs in seals around the post. And it doesn't matter if it comes up higher. In fact, you want it to. You want to come up high above the ground. Let it all harden out, and you can come back an hour later when it's completely hardened, and take a knife or a saw or a chisel or anything and just cut down the foam just below the soil line and fill in the rest of the soil around your planter bed, and you'll have a nice secure post.
Speaker 2: Does it work against the concrete? I was told at one of the box stores that it won't adhere to the con that's around the post, But I'm thinking that it doesn't need to adhere to it.
Speaker 5: It just needs to.
Speaker 1: It'll work fine. It don't work fine. They don't know what they're talking about. It'll work fine. The concrete's got a lot of porosity to it. The phone will push up against it, it'll lock into that concrete. It'll be fine.
Speaker 2: Great. Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Laura, You are so welcome. Thanks for that very interesting question. I just love helping people out of their little binds. You know. That's why I'm here, and we will continue to do that. Okayfye, I love that comp I do. I don't know why it moves me so much. I just love it. Dean Sharp the house whisper, Welcome home. Thanks for joining us on the program today. Hey, guess what we're doing taking calls, doing what I love to do best, just talking to you directly about what's going on with your home. Here's the number to reach me, eight three three two. Ask Dean eight three three the numeral two and then you just spell out ask Dean eight three three to ask Dean. Our Golden MIC Award winning producer Richie is standing by ready to take your call. He'll tell you everything you need to know. He'll pop you into the queue, and who knows, hopefully you and I will put our heads together figure out what's going on with your home. All right, let's run to the phones again. I want to talk to Fred. Good morning, Fred, welcome home, Good morning.
Speaker 5: I have a problem with my ceiling in the living room. My house was built in nineteen fifty six. It's a single story and the living room ceiling and it's roughly about three hundred square feet, and it has a major segatives. And my concern is at some point it just got collapsed into my living room. What's my thing?
Speaker 1: Okay? All right, Fred, all right, let's so let's let's try and parse this out a little bit. Okay. The big question is when we say the living room ceiling is sagging. Uh, I need to know why it's sagging or what is sagging because you've got two things that went How old do you say the house is.
Speaker 5: Again, built in nineteen fifty six?
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's nineteen fifty six. So so to the best of your knowledge, you're kind of on the cusp of it could be one way or the other. I'm assuming it's a dry wall house or is it a plaster house.
Speaker 5: Your walls, my my pure gas is dry wall. But I honestly I don't. I cannot tell the difference. I know how to tell the difference.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, that's fine, that's fine. Has anybody been up into the attic and taken a look at what's going on? I want to know whether or not this the ceiling surface has let In other words, the drywall or plaster has let go of the ceiling joists the actual wood structure up there, or and if that's what's causing the sag, or whether that's all adhered together and it's actually the wood ceiling joists that are sagging. I want to know which is the case, because those are two very very different causes. Has anybody been in the attic to take a look to see to look at the joists, see how straight and flat they are, and then to look down and say, oh, well, look like you know, the drywall has delaminated, it's pulling away from the bottom of the joist, or whether that's all tight and seam together, but the joists themselves are sagging. Do you know which is which?
Speaker 5: Sure to ask you a question, nobody expected it. I lived there, that home for thirty eight years, and there's only been one personal up there, and that's when I was replacing my Gallon I plumbing to copper plumbing, and that was a super small person closify feet tall. Because the roof is very.
Speaker 3: Very low.
Speaker 1: You've got a very small attic space, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you cannot, you can barely crawl in there. It's yeah, it's very small, very low, all right, all.
Speaker 1: Right, well, you know what, fred I want you to I want you to hang on. We're up against the break. If I can, I put you on hold, and then we'll you and I will pick up this conversation afterwards, because this is something that I want everybody to understand about their homes and and I'm going to give you some advice as to what to do and hopefully some encouragement along the way too. So if you'll hang tight, then we'll pick this up right after Eileen Gonzalez gives us the news. You're listening to Dean Sharp The House Whisper on KFI.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Home with Dean Sharp on Demand from KFI a M six forty