Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we.
Speaker 3: Are get off our show, idiot.
Speaker 2: The kids are crying and trail off. The countries are screwing it up.
Speaker 1: Gold Play Inner.
Speaker 3: Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals.
Speaker 2: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 3: Who's the kid here? Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me? Now? Here's Nick Coffee?
Speaker 4: All right, Derby week rolling along here on a Wednesday afternoon.
Speaker 2: Happy hump day, everybody.
Speaker 4: It's coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Nick Coffee. That's me.
Speaker 4: We've got him back in the saddle with us today, the travel chief Austin Montgomery alongside. He was five oh tuesdaying yesterday. And that's right, I'll ask you. I mean, it's tough to know, because I doubt you were out there, you know, just auditing the facility to.
Speaker 2: See who all was there that was local.
Speaker 4: But I do think that just judging on I guess mostly Facebook, maybe Instagram. I feel like the people like that I'm friends with or maybe not that I'm like actually friends with, but you know internet friends with.
Speaker 2: There was a mass.
Speaker 4: Flood of everybody posting yesterday as if like the locals kind of have embraced all right, yes this is our day.
Speaker 2: It did it feel like it?
Speaker 4: I'm not sure how you'd be able to tell, but yes, it certainly seemed like it. From all the folks that I know that they're going to go out to the track for a day that's not Oaks and not Derby.
Speaker 2: They made five oh Tuesday the local day. Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 5: And there I think there was maybe even a school out there, because I know that they have like buses and stuff like that, but saw a bunch of kids and a couple adults getting off a bus and they were all dressed nice. And I'm pretty sure like local school were there or any sort of like youth organization of some sort. But yeah, I think I saw the same thing too with a lot of people that follow on social media.
Speaker 2: That was the day that they were out.
Speaker 5: I think lowellvillions have embraced the five oh Tuesday now because remember it used to be well from what I understand, it used to be the Oaks and then that got kind of overtaken. Then it went to Derby, and then that got overtaken, and.
Speaker 2: Then they just said the hell with Wednesday, We're gonna make it Tuesdays. Just completely said Wednesday.
Speaker 4: So I think when I started going to Oaks. I've been to Oaks probably every year for the last I don't know, seventeen eighteen years. I mean, I could have missed one, but I feel like I feel like I would remember that yees, so I would go just as you know, just go to have fun. And then we've done the show there sometimes and then I've also taken the day off to go out.
Speaker 2: And just enjoy it.
Speaker 4: So we do Oaks, and I feel like for since since I've been doing it, you know, roughly the last fifteen plus years, for the most part, I feel like it is it's it's Derby Eve, right like it Clearly it's called Oaks Day because of the Kentucky Oaks Race, but it does kind of feel like, you know, sort of a matinee because it is not a whole lot different than what you see on Derby if of course, you know, it's nice outside, and you know, I just think we've had terrible luck with Oaks, So sometimes it's like, you know, I can't really tell if it seems as if it's people from all over the world or not. But yeah, it continued to grow as a day that clearly was not Derby. Didn't have the same energy, didn't have the same feel right, but it you know, it doesn't feel like it, you know. So I'm glad that we have a day here for locals and it's Bibo Tuesday, and I'm glad you were able to get out there. Yeah, have a good time, looking like a million bucks in the nice suit. I know you and City were out there just you know, having a.
Speaker 2: Ball in Kentucky.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we had a good time. And what's cool is I guess they're probably a little bit more I hope I don't get anybody in trouble for this, but like they're more leaning on like where you can like walk around anywhere. If you got like a ticket, you can just kind of go post up because not like everyone there.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they.
Speaker 5: Sell tickets to any of the pre ones like five oh Tuesday Wednesday or Thirby on the brand news stands that they just built. But like there wasn't any people over there. It felt like there was a lot of people. Well when you looked up into the stands, I don't know, it wasn't and and you heard it, but it didn't feel crowded like you know, obviously a derby was. But they just kind of let you walk around like wherever, as long as you're not going up to like the millionaire's row or like the suite. If you're just kind of in the grand stand area, you can get on down to like where the rails are and see like the training horses walk by. That's what we ended up doing, and just getting a closer look at the at the horses.
Speaker 2: It's pretty cool.
Speaker 4: Well good I uh, I'm glad you had a good time. Glad you want some money on the on some races.
Speaker 2: Good buck good Day went up fifty bucks yesterday.
Speaker 4: So we've got we've got race six at Churchill coming up here in fifteen minutes to post. And I'm tp yeah, I'm going to uh, I'm gonna pick a. I'm gonna pick one, okay, and you you know, you can do the same if you'd like, and we'll see, we'll see how this thing plays out. I haven't uh, I mean, I'm looking at this for the first time right now, So I'll get the table set and get us you know, up and running here, and then we'll dive back and listen to this race before we take our first break. That should time out pretty uh, pretty perfectly, to be honest with you. So yeah, look the weather. We need to get to the weather really quickly though, because I today, like right now as we walk in in downtown Louisville, it's beautiful outside. Yesterday it looked throughout the evening for sure, maybe even late afternoon, like it was about to get nasty, like it was about to go down, and I don't think it ever really did. So what I worry about is that we've, like the weather that was supposed to be really bad for Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, some you know Friday. Actually it wasn't even supposed to be bad Friday until now. So it's like it's delayed. The rain that was supposed to be here has decided to drag its feet. And what looked as if, Okay, we're gonna have a wet week, but man, when we get to third or when we get to Friday and Saturday, we should be in the clear, and it doesn't look like that as much right now. But again, they were wrong pretty often, and this is one of those things where I hope that they're I hope that they're wrong, because you know, you want good weather as we get closer to Two Oaks and to Derby. But yeah, yes, yesterday it didn't show much of anything in the forecast as far as being rainy and wet. On Friday or Saturday, it didn't look great, cloudy. And now we've got a few showers. It looks like for Friday and Saturday, couple of showers. So again, we'll see, we'll see how it plays out. But look, it's one of those things you can't control. We're just we're at the mercy of what other whatever Mother Nature decides to do. And you know, she's not been kind to us as of late. When it comes to the brutal winter. We had all the rain, I mean, tornadoes, we had the wildest winter in a long long time, coldest I feel like, and then again flooding tornadoes.
Speaker 2: I mean, we're due. You owe us one, mother Nature.
Speaker 5: You would think that, but you would also think, like the what the year that we've had in weather, There's no way we make it out of Derby nice.
Speaker 4: Right, I mean like we should all like just consider it as a blessing if we do, in fact end up making it through the weekend where it ends up not you know, not being nasty. But again, we'll see how it plays out, all right. So there's a lot I want to get into over these next few hours. We'll kind of keep the Derby week theme going. I do want to take a look at the celebrity packed lineup that's been revealed for the Barnstable Brown Kentucky Derby Eve Gala.
Speaker 2: The big there's a lot of big parties.
Speaker 4: I feel like every year there's a new one that's kind of you know, the place to be that has some celebrities. But the Barnstable Party has been going on for a long long time. And I think a trend that I was suspecting is now confirmed, and that is that there's a few people that, like, I'm not really sure if I would classify them as you know, like big celebrities, at least not now, but they get the invite like many many years ago, and they just keep coming back. Like there's some names on here that you're gonna be familiar with, and there's some names on here that you'll probably say I've heard that name. Why do I know that name? Oh yeah, he was like a he was the you know, he had a he had a prominent role in a nineties comedy and then you know, never was heard from again. But he came to the Derby in nineteen ninety seven and he you know, maybe there's maybe that's the thing, like if you get invited as a celebrity, you know, to attend and really just add some some some flavor to the to the to the guest list, like maybe it's just a given that you like, you know, when you accept it, it's going to be a never ending thing.
Speaker 2: Like you know, Travis Tritt, my guy is.
Speaker 4: You know, he's never missed Derby and he's never missed this party, So shout out to him. Have you seen the list yet? I don't want you to look at it if you haven't, because I want to.
Speaker 2: I want to. I want to know I haven't, Okay, because.
Speaker 5: I could already probably tell you three or four people that I know are going to be there. Then tell me Joey Fatone, Uh, he's always been there. Let me see if he's on the list. Did he make the cut? Yeah, Joey Fatone's there and he's you know, he's in sync. Like, let's be real, but he's the perfect example of what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: Yes, like he's not like there's a lot of people visually like that.
Speaker 4: He could walk into their their box at the track and they might kind of know that guy. But right, is that the guy from Backstreet Boys? Maybe it was maybe it was LFO, Like you know, you know what I'm saying, like, it's look, there's nothing wrong with holding on to it as long as you can. And look, if you've got the invite that means you can come, you can show up.
Speaker 2: That must be nice.
Speaker 4: You're right about Joey Fatone. I'm scanning the list here because there is one that. Again I'm not trying to pick on anybody, because some of these people aren't necessarily celebrities globally, but they were like briefly here locally and they've just really kind of hung onto that. But uh, boys to men, are they on here because they've been coming for they've been coming.
Speaker 2: Back to this thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're here there there could be once again so for men now anyways, well we'll get back into that uh a little bit later on.
Speaker 2: But again, so what's his name?
Speaker 5: I actually we ran into him a couple of years ago at the barn Stable Brown Party. I was stout there as just it's around, like big part haven't been but like there's a right car and people go up and just stand at the right corse chef fan. So I've been up there and I interacted with Anna Nicole Smith's husband.
Speaker 2: What's his name, Larry.
Speaker 5: Oh Birkhead Burkhead, Yes, yes, Larry Burkhead, And I thought that was the coolest thing ever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's he's He is someone that I don't know now, like if his name came up in conversation to people not from here, if they would make the connection. But you know, I think anybody who's from here that is relatively close to our age or older, they know that he was the one Mary Tanna Nicole Smith, and obviously that was at a time when she was, you know, very much in the public eye. So we'll take a look at the list a little bit later on. As I mentioned, we're going to try to keep this Derby Derby Week theme kind of going on. I mean, this is one of those things where when you have an event like this going on in your in your city. You can feel the energy, you can feel the buzz. I mean, I wouldn't call it a distraction, but like it's it's just what we do around here. So you know, we're not going to break down every race and really get into, you know, the the weeds of things when it comes to horse racing, because one, I just would be capable of doing that, and I also don't think that would be great radio. But it'd be foolish to just not you know, carry carry carry the vibe that is Derby season around here. So that was a really long winded, poor attempt for me to tell you that I got a lot of stuff I want to get into today. But I know that if I, if I set it up now and really really you know, make it, make it a point to tell you that this is why you should stick around, because we're going to do this or that, Like you would think, like, man, this guy really sucks at his job.
Speaker 2: That's what he wants to talk about.
Speaker 4: He's a sports radio host and he's got three hours and he wants to talk about this. Well, yes I do, because I like to mix it up. So one day I won't have that that crutch. I won't have that that I guess insecurity because I like to have fun.
Speaker 2: We like to mix it up.
Speaker 4: I think if you come back to this place each and every day, it means you you know, you like it to an extent, or maybe you hateless and whatever it is, you keep coming back, and that's all we want. But you know, to set it up, like, hey, here we go, you don't want to miss this. We've got you know, we'll talk about you know, we'll draft fast food items like we did last week. You know, it's fun, it's good stuff. So how about this just stick around. You never know what we're going to get into, but I can guarantee you we're going to try to have some fun and if not, you know, come back tomorrow.
Speaker 2: We'll try it again.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's I mean, there's only one way to you know, to make it happen, and that's to keep trying until it happens. All right. If you guys want to listen to us wherever you're going, whatever you're doing, you can always listen live on the IHET radio app. Also listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com and we'll let you know how you can be a part of the show as well a little bit later on. But the Bill Belichick stuff, I mean, we talked about it yesterday, and it's been a story that I think has had new layers to it every day since that CBS Sunday Morning interview was released where.
Speaker 2: He looked like a hostage.
Speaker 4: He had his girlfriend off to the side, and you know, without even really saying anything, you could tell she's she seems to be running things, or at least, you know, making it appear that she's running things. And I mean, you've got Charles Barkley, who was just on the dam Pat earlier today saying that he considers Belichick a friend, he's worried about him, like genuinely like that. That to me is I mean, I know Chuck can say whatever, and you know, it's just Chuck being Chuck. He's one of the bigger personalities in all of sports. But I don't think he'd say that if he didn't mean it. So the latest is that she was apparently the reason that they were gonna do hard knocks on UNC Football with Belichick, and then they decided not to. It sounds like it came down to her not wanting to do it, unless they really profiled and featured her and I mean, I mean this screams that this is a young, attractive woman that is taking advantage of an old man. I mean that's what this is senor abuse. Yeah, I mean like it's you know, Belichick, I think he's of the belief that this type of a story and you know, his his his image now is that, Yeah, he's he's the you know, he's the pretty lifeless football coach that doesn't have a big boom personality, but you know, he ain't dead yet so much so that he's got this young, hot snack that says, you know, his girlfriend. Like I think he's trying to appeal to Like, I think it's a desperation thing for Belichick that he wants to appeal to the younger crowd better than he would if he had the same image that he did when he coached the Patriots. And I guess she's she's the piece that can you know, help him do that. But Carolina has to regret this at this point because Belichick NFL super bowls out the rear end like he's super successful, he's a legend. But timing is everything in life, and I think timing of Belichick coaching college now is the worst timing possible. And I just think if you're going to go get an NFL coach that has a bunch of you know, Super Bowl rings, that has always had success by really being feared, right, he's a dictator that that's really how he seems to operate. That's not really the way to do it in college anymore. And oh, by the way, now, the biggest story other than you know, Belichick being in college at Carolina is that he's got a twenty four year old girlfriend who won't get out of the way and they've had to release a statement. Carolina has the school, which we can get into that later. Because anybody claiming that this is ridiculous, they're making this bigger than it is. It's being stretched. It's fabricated, fake news. I mean, like what, let's let's let's just for a moment hit pause and realize we are here operating in the real world and we do have a level of perception and you know, self awareness. What did you think this story would be, right? What did you think was going to be the reaction from a seventy three year old man dating a twenty four year old woman, like and it being Bill Belichick like it's just you still can't make you can't make it up, so we can get into that. Also, uh, there are a lot of players still in the portal, and I don't know if it's just because the portal's closed. And the coverage of recruitment when it comes to transfers is you know, it's not at all the same as when you were back in the day only tracking high school kids because it's a fast moving thing and it really comes down to opportunity meaning playing time and money. So Louisville still has scholarships to give. And again I think we got the indication yesterday with Pat Kelsey out there on the backside. We had some sound for yesterday of him talking about just the whole experience and also just you know, having a horse named after him. But Jody Dimmling had a ride up over at Cardinal Authority that had some quotes from Pat in regards to James Scott that certainly made it sound as if James.
Speaker 2: Scott is not that that's over, like it's it's done.
Speaker 4: But as expected, he also just talked about how much he loves that kid, will always love him, will always be there for him, like, I just that's the the James Scott thing. I know I said this a lot last week when that news broke, but he to me, I feel like it is going to be a name that that that pops up when I ask myself, or maybe I start to think to think to myself, Oh yeah, I mean, you got to know that players can leave, but this guy will never leave, no way, because you know, why would he? Well that's James Scott. I mean I guess you could say, well, he wants more playing time and you're bringing in a new big you got two coming off injury. Maybe the money's not there. So like maybe maybe I don't know James Scott the way I thought I did, and trust me, I don't know him on a personal level. But I just I assume that because of how close he and Pat Kelsey are that it just wouldn't be something he would ever consider playing for somebody else. And you know I was wrong, But again, Louisville's got some some some scholarships.
Speaker 2: And I would imagine they got some inn aile money.
Speaker 4: I mean, James Scott, maybe it was money that that was a factor in him deciding to go elsewhere to get more. But whatever he was making, it's now on the table, so you know, we'll see. I'm a little surprised, and maybe there's some out there and I just haven't been able to, you know, get wind of it, or maybe I'm not following the right people. But I'm eager to see this roster finalized. And I really think if Scott would have stuck around, there's a scenario that maybe the roster kind of would have been finalized. And you know, other than maybe some real late editions, maybe some guys from overseas or something like that. So again we'll get into that. Also, NBA playoffs, I mean again, the NBA product I don't think is great. But I will say in the first round, you've had some real bad blowouts, but you've actually had some pretty competitive games and some pretty competitive series, and hey, that's a step in the right direction. And what do we know about life? I was gonna say basketball, but it's life.
Speaker 2: Drama.
Speaker 4: Drama sells, and last night there was some drama as the Pacers into the Bucks season.
Speaker 2: And how about how about your Pacers, buddy?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I gets your hype, yes, and no, I mean yes, I was happy that they won. I mean I was, and I think they've got a good team. I just don't think they're going to be in position to get past Boston. And I'm not sure really anybody is, to be honest with you. And of course Cleveland, like Cleveland's the team that really is breaking through this year to where you know, the ceiling for my Pacers is just not that high.
Speaker 2: That's what gets me.
Speaker 4: And you know, I think it'll always be that way, whereas Cleveland has has a higher ceiling right now. And obviously Boston's the reigning champ. So I just I want to talk about Jannis and and and halla Burton. Yeah, not just because of the situation with Jannis and Halliburton's dad, but I really think both of those guys probably you know, after the fact, handled it as good as you possibly could. And I know it may sound like, well, you're just saying that because of you know, you're a Pacers fan, and Halliburton's the franchise player, and I am a Pacers fan. He is the you know, he is the franchise player. But also, like I'll admit it, I don't find him very likable. I think he's good. I don't believe that he's the most overrated player, like NBA players voted him. But I uh, you know, I kind of think he's a little cringe at times, and I hate that. But he's a good player, and I think last night it was a really bad look from his dad, and I don't think he could have handled it any better by addressing it and saying that he doesn't think that his dad was in the right. He apologizes to Jannis, and I was just worried that he was going to come out and be really like, you know, I mean, you never know how somebody's going to react when their dad gets in a situation like that, right, Like, I mean, even if your dad is in the wrong completely it's family man like, you may not you may not even have the wherewithal to understand that in the moment because it's dad. And if somebody's going chest to chest with him, you know you're gonna you're gonna take his side. I mean, I don't think they went chest to chest. I mean, mister Halliburton is very lucky that Yannis is a nice human being, because I think a lot of people would have killed him. I mean, I say that, you know, there's an exaggeration, but I mean, most people I think would not have had the restraint that that Yanni's did and what he said afterwards, Like I heard all about it, and then I finally listened to it once. I you know, I was seeing everybody react to it, and then I listened.
Speaker 2: To it in.
Speaker 4: The whole clip essentially of him discussing the situation and after the game and we're not gonna play the entire thing, But I mean, I don't think Giannis could have could have handled it any better. And I thought, Okay, yeah, this is gonna be you know, he's gonna be super you know, he's gonna be really likable, and everybody's gonna, you know, eat it up. But I'll probably be like, yeah, okay, that's fake. But no, like I think Giannis is pretty genuine and in a weird way, that looked like it was about to be really bad, and it certainly wasn't a good moment for the Pacers or really Yannis, I suppose, but I kind of feel like the way both addressed it after the fact, it made it to where this will be, this will be forgotten, I think, and you know that's the way it should be. All Right, that race already took off. I didn't see who won. I can't get into my account. I got to figure out how to get logged in here because I and yeah, I didn't even pick a winner, so you know, and I'm glad I didn't, because you know, had I had I won, but not bet. You know, technically I wouldn't. I wouldn't have won, and then I would have been and I'd have been pissed. So anyways, let's take a first break. We'll come back. Keep this thing rolling along. It's coffee and company. We are fuel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety Now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven to nine day.
Speaker 4: That's right, coffee and company rolling along here on a Wednesday afternoon. We are fuel about Thornton's. Make sure you sign up to become a member of the Refreshing Awards program, because you can get savings at the pump every day, but once a week you can get up to twenty five cents off per gallon. So I don't emphasize that as much as I should, So make sure you sign up if you have not yet to become a member of the Thornton's Refreshment Awards program. All Right, so this is not something I intended to talk about today, but I've got a theory here. So it's not unheard of for a college basketball player who maybe doesn't necessarily translate well to the pro game at any level make the move to football because you know, they've got the build, maybe the athleticism. I mean, I still believe to this day Shane Behannon could have been a phenomenal tight end. And it's not just because you know, he's he's got the size for it, but a good athlete better than you know, most people probably realized, like there's certain guys that are that undersized four that can end up finding a way to the NFL if, of course you know they can adjust, meaning are they are they willing to you know, get beat up and play much more physical sports than basketball? Do they have you know, the instincts? Like I would imagine a lot of the guys that have been able to play both and be successful to an extent at both have probably always played both, you know what I mean, Like it's not just well, hey, you know he's never picked up a football, but hey, he's got the athleticism and the size. So let's see what happens here. Like mo Ali Cox, he is he still with Yeah? Is he still with my Colts?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: I don't think so, I mean, not necessarily sure. So he comes to me and he's one of many. I mean, hell, Antonio Gates did not play college football. He only played college basketball, and he was one of the best tight ends of my lifetime. So Mohali Cox played at BCU and then ended up joining the Colts roster. And he is still with him, by the way, and he's been you know, he's been he's been good. I mean, he's not like a all Pro kind of guy, but you know, he started thirteen games last year and you know he's had fifteen touchdowns in his six seven years with the team, So, you know, not a star by any means, but I mean it's safe to say he was able to, you know, adjust well. So you know, there are different examples, but the latest is a guy that a lot of people around here, if you're a louisvill fan you're probably familiar with to an extent. That's Ian Scheiflin. Is that name ring a bell for you? That's the Clemson kid, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Javon Hadley's son. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we were in attendance to see Javon put up a light thirty two on him and just give him.
Speaker 2: I mean, maybe that easy day.
Speaker 4: Maybe Javon is the one who like really had to just break it to him. Dude, you're you know you're gonna go pro in something other than basketball.
Speaker 2: It's ain't for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So, Ian Scheiflin has apparently decided he is going to play football for Clemson. And the reason I'll bring this up is because it's not a crazy theory to throw out there. At least I don't think it is that he might really be interested. He might really think that he has a future in pro football more so than basketball. Because again, he's a six 't eight listed at six eighty ain't six eight, And you know he's he's he's got good hands, that's something he definitely has. And he's a guy that's effective and good at basketball. And I don't know why, Like, I don't know what it is that he's bringing to the game that gives him the ability to consistently come out and give you double doubles.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's just got he played, he's got that plumber's body.
Speaker 4: But the theory that I mentioned is that this could also just be a way of him bypassing having to get a real job and making a bunch of money through nil. Like, I don't know what the going rate would be for a guy that you know you're not bidding on, right, Like, he can't go to Devil Sweeney and say, look, you got to cut the nil checker. I'm gonna transfer and play tight end elsewhere. I mean, maybe he could do that, but I just there there is clearly a real, real reason and an incentive I should say for for guys to stick around. Guys and girls, by the way, both to stick around in college as long as they can. And you know the reason is money. Dollar signs so well, last time. We'll see him on the field next year if he actually does it and makes the team, if he knows what's best for him, he won't. Yeah, they come to Louisville, so he probably won't make the trip because they'll be scared of his dad.
Speaker 2: He doesn't want to see John Age with that belt ass again like he got last time he came to Louisville. The Young Center flashbacks.
Speaker 5: The last time I heard about the shiffling kid, I thought he entered the transfer port.
Speaker 4: He was one of those guys that and I would give this guy credit. He he I think he had the awareness more so than others, or maybe the others didn't they just don't care. But he knew the look of entering the portal with clearly no eligibility left right, and he was one of many that did it, like on the same day, just in case maybe the some scenario that the NCAA can no longer like, you know, can no longer enforce their eligibility.
Speaker 2: You know rule.
Speaker 4: But he did come out and say I'm doing it at a and he put out like a statement I think through his agent that said, you know, he was advised to do this by his agent, and he's aware that there's a very small chance that it would ever happen, and that he does have plans for himself after basketball, I guess after Clemson basketball. But those plans apparently were Clemson football. So I just thought that was interesting, all right. So I don't know if this punishment was because of the reaction or something they were just always going to do, because I don't think it's fair to say this punishment came late and the punishment I'm talking about is the NFL has stepped in and fined both the Atlanta Falcons and d C Jeff Olbrick due to I'm sorry they Yeah, the NFL has fined the Falcons two hundred and fifty thousand dollars and Jeff Olbrick, the defensive coordinator whose son got access to shad Or Sanders' number, he has been fined one hundred thousand dollars, so three hundred and fifty thousand dollars in total damages here because of this prank that really isn't a prank. It's just a cruel, stupid thing to do that embarrassed your family. I mean, like it just I'm not to the age where I'm, you know, looking down on young kids who make dumb decisions, because you know, I'm not that old. I'm not some old, you know, crotchety get off my lawn guy, But like what a dumb ass like that. The more time that passes, the more like that was. Just like even if you thought it might be kind of funny to share the number with somebody, and you know, and actually steal the number, I suppose from your dad's iPad to go through with what went What they went through is just I mean, like it's beyond stupid to where at any point, if you use your brain, if you have one, you would realize this is a really bad idea. The scenario where this ends up being like a net positive for me, no no chance of that happening. And sure enough, now this young man, I mean, I would imagine that from now until a long long time, when people google his name, they'll they'll know that he's the guy who stole his dad's iPad, got shit or Sanders number and called him on draft night to mess with him and you know, brought a lot of embarrassment and shame to his father, his family, the Atlanta Falcons, and really himself. And then he used an AI generator to to to to write up an apology. So again, do you think Austin, this was something that they always planned to do as soon as they realized that the Falcons were falling on it and letting everybody know, hey, hand up our DC's dumbass son is the one who had this whole thing happened? Or do you think that because I think the last couple of days, a lot of the reaction has been like the NFL can't just sit back and not do anything.
Speaker 2: And I kind of agree, like this is that's what I thought, that you have a you have a you have you have.
Speaker 4: A standard dub hold when you you know, work in the National Football League and when you have access to information like you know, phone numbers for everybody who's going to be getting a call to be notified that they're drafted, like you can't be see, you know, and I don't even know how is part of the story that I don't believe is that he just so happened to like walk by his dad's iPad when he was on it and then he saw it, and you know, that just doesn't add up, like I.
Speaker 5: Just happened to walk by my dad's Playboy magazine.
Speaker 4: I think I think that there is a good scenario that they, like this was a plan, like, hey, I can probably get his number because you know, my dad has access to it, and we're gonna get not just everybody's number, we're gonna get should Or Sanders number because he's the most talked about guy in the draft. And as much as I don't like shoud Or Sanders and hope that he was in some way humbled, although I don't find that possible. I hope he was humbled with the whole experience. But that's just I mean, that's beyond mean cruel, Like that's just a really really like I wouldn't want that to happen to somebody that, like i'd despise. I mean maybe in the situation I would, but it's just, you know, like that, just for some reason, that hits me as a cruel thing to do more so than it probably should.
Speaker 2: And I don't I don't really know why.
Speaker 4: Maybe it's because I realize how bad I don't like shit or Sanders, and I sometimes think, you know what, Nick, You're weird.
Speaker 2: Why do you care?
Speaker 4: This is a twenty one year old college kid that you know, I can't stand it to dislike, I can't stand but can't stand anything about him. To be honest with you, but again, that is a that's a hefty fine. I mean, I'm sure you're making good money as an NFL defensive coordinator, but a hundred grands a hundred grand, I mean, that's six figures that you know, you it's an unexpected six figure expense. And I know his son is a twenty one year old man, not a kid. But man, if I was Jeff Ulbrick the DC, I'd be taking it out of his ass. Oh yeah, I do love how many people have led to this being like an interesting scenario that you often you know that you don't often see a guy who's still young but an adult did something you know, reprehensive.
Speaker 2: Like does dad whoop his ass?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean, Like if.
Speaker 4: He's fourteen fifteen, you know, we don't condone and nobody should ever like abuse their kids. But like, I know, I got a spank in a time or two when I was young, and I had a comfortable fear of my parents, my you know, my you know when it comes to family.
Speaker 2: Parents, grandparents and so uncles.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I had a comfortable fear that I need to treat them with respect and not do something that was going to get myself in trouble because you know, discipline does in fact work. So yeah, I think the NFL kind of because they probably don't have it in their playbook, right, like, hey, if this happens where a random kid who happens to be the DC son of an NFL team, like they don't have it. This isn't like a standard protocol.
Speaker 2: It's not of men.
Speaker 4: It's unprecedented exactly. So the decision to do this I think makes sense. And you know, I think if you're an NFL staffer in any way and you've got access to information that you know is really really really private, confidential, whatever, you know, you need to make sure you'd be mindful of that and don't just leave it out where anybody could grab it, even a bit's your home. I mean, I think this was a little bit of a reach, but there was a there was an article I read earlier that, like, again, I wanted to I wanted to get to I wanted to go from start to finish with this article, feeling as if this was an overreaction and a you know, a hot take kind of thing, but I don't think it was. And that was that the NFL needs to to understand that, like people can, people are really good at hacking your stuff. So like, imagine like people realizing there's vulnerability here with iPads and I wouldn't know how to do it or even know how anybody would learn how to be able to get access to somebody's iPad. You know that's not right in front of them, but imagine getting access to like plays, the play sheet, the design, yeah, I mean the game plan, and I don't it wouldn't turn into something that where oh the other team here.
Speaker 2: Now that it's in a Wakey League situation where Bobby.
Speaker 4: Ptrino left behind a playbook, where wake Forest then realized, hey, how do they know everything we're gonna do? And then wake played victim when they didn't actually bring it up until they got their ass kicked after the fact, and they did the same thing. Now the real issue was Donnie Galloway was getting place from a former radio guy for Wake that just wanted to sabotage Dave Clawson. But that's the most left out part of the story that I think matters in a big way. But it's Bobby Withtrino and Louisville and it just that's all people care about. Can you believe Bobby's out here being a scumbag again? But again, and think about this, if you, if you, if you were a wake Forest, you realized this is there's something going on here. We gotta we got we got a leak, we got it, we got a spy because we found Louisville's play you know, play game plan or whatever, playbook whatever, and we know that they are aware of what we plan on doing to start the game. How would they know that, Well, they kept it, didn't say a word until they left town with an ass woman and then brought it up and it became a big deal. And again they had Louisville's playbook because Louisville left it behind, and they uncovered that Louisville knew things they shouldn't know. But at the end of the day, there's a reason why when Louisvill's started the game against wake Forest that year, who wasn't very good. It was Lamar's last year, I believe, and I mean that was a really awkward, just kind of you know, a rock fight where nothing was working.
Speaker 2: It's because wake knew exactly what Lola was going to do.
Speaker 4: But anyways, if in fact somebody got access to that information, they wouldn't be out there trying to sell it to another NFL team to get an advantage, or sell it to another program in college to get an advantage. They'd use it to clean out the sports books. They would use that to have some kind of an advantage when it comes to sports wagering. And it's one of those things that does you know it is far fetched, but I think this story that took place, you know, with the DC son of the Falcons pulling this whole stunt, it should just be a reminder that, like, if you weren't being really careful about information that you have access to that you know that's digital, you should be really really careful. Do you have a passcode on your phone, Austin, you're an iPhone guy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm chilling on a smash Okay, no, I.
Speaker 4: Smashed that smash Burger Son, I do, but I just default go off the face scan Yeah, same here. I mean, but but I do have a pass Dude. I went years, like I'm relatively new to to you know, shutting the gate on my phone, if you know what I'm saying, Like if I lost my phone for the vast majority of the time that I've had an iPhone, I mean I would I would probably, I mean, you would have everything like you wouldn't you know, you wouldn't even be prompted to put in a code wow or the face scan. And I don't really know why I did that, because yeah, that's kind of questionable. I mean I don't I just you know, to me, I I never actually set it up, and I'd never had the issue where my phone was stolen or lost or anything like that. But at one point it didn't lock quick enough, and like I was calling people from my pocket all the time because it was just you know, the thing was just live.
Speaker 2: I was, I was, you know, I was exposed at all times.
Speaker 4: Maybe just just out there, yeah, just out there, you know, just any movement I might, you know, I might you know, call nine one one or something.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I'd absolutely accidentally hit record while you're oh, absolutely detective. You know, you move over to let a fart out.
Speaker 4: Next thing, you know, you hit that microphone button and a text message you're talking reckless about somebody and it and it fires off in a text message.
Speaker 2: I mean, it can happen. It's not the craziest thing made up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I uh, I now am glad that I have a pass code and do the face recognition. But I'm telling you when I am prompted to put in the passcode that it's super easy to put in. But it's because like the lighting or maybe a bad angle, too many bad attempts to where it didn't get my face and glasses, and then I have to put in the code. I'm like so inconvenienced, so like I think if I didn't have the face recognition which works so quick, I probably would still be out here just living reckless, you know what I mean? Just like, Hey, I got this iPhone. It's live at all times. We'll see what happens. You just gave living on the edge. You just gave me a fantastic idea. Well, I also want to touch up on the living on the edge because for the longest time you also had a You also went bear back with your phone too, right, Oh yeah, no glove baby, my goodness, I'm on that ream just raw a dog and I'm right now.
Speaker 2: Are you respect? Does it feel dangerous? No, because I mean it feels scary.
Speaker 5: I'm not gonna I'm not gonna put it out in the universe. But I hardly ever drop my phone anyways.
Speaker 2: But I don't know. I just some my old cut.
Speaker 5: I meant to get a new case, but it was clear and it was starting to like yellow. I've had it for a few years, but I just these phones nowadays are so sleek and so nice looking. I don't like it cover covering it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Also, though I feel like what's when I don't have a case on my phone. What really is noticeable right away is that one. It's a little lighter, but it slides on everything because of the surface, like the texture of it, and I feel like I could just drop it much more easily when I don't have like that rubbery Yeah, you know the rubber right, no glove, no love baby, I mean that's you know.
Speaker 5: So you did give me a fantastic idea, and you could please shoot it down if you want to. Maybe we could talk about it more off air. But fantastic idea for a draft this week. Silly life inconveniences that you hate three rounds silly like I don't like an example you just said, red lights or something like that that you just can't stay.
Speaker 4: That's all I think about, little things that should not bother me the way that they do what they drive me crazy. Yes, absolutely make me want to actually run for some type of political position to where I could make a change.
Speaker 2: Right Like, let me give you an example.
Speaker 4: Lights in downtown Louisville, really downtown any city should not be set up to accommodate the streets. Is if we have way more people walking than we do driving right off, A good one, all right? Uh this race is going to finish when we're at break. So it's race seven at Churchill. We've got I'm gonna give you the names if you haven't.
Speaker 2: Pulled it up yet.
Speaker 4: Likely perspective, Yeah, I'm looking at it. Yeah, okay, so you take it. You take a look here. I uh, I think I'm gonna go with uh man, I uh, let me see where I'm looking at here on TVG. It doesn't give me the full info that I usually reference to make a pick, but that probably doesn't matter. I could just flip a coin, and you know, I don't know how you do that when there's this many races, but are this many horses, But I'll go with uh, I'm gonna roll with Let's see, I'm gonna go with new Rome, New Rome, New Rome. Who is in the in the in the five spot?
Speaker 2: What do you like? Not a bad? I think.
Speaker 5: I think I'm gonna have to go with a favorite here, the classic Q five to two.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you got four, I got five.
Speaker 4: This thing will take off in three minutes and when we get back, it'll be over and we'll see if either of us had any luck.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about it. Stick with us right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 4: We're wrapping up the three o'clock hour here on a Wednesday afternoon. Happy hump day everybody. It's coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's. And congratulations to the one and all Austin Montgomery, who is rolling over his momentum from yesterday at Babo Tuesday because he just got the the winner. And you know you've you've already helped me when it comes to something I needed to be reminded of.
Speaker 2: Oka.
Speaker 4: I don't like betting favorites, but that usually is there's a rask. There's a reason their favorites these races. Yeah, yeah, I mean, like I like to, you know, put a little something down where there's gonna be some juice there because the horse doesn't expected to win. But like sometimes you have to do that if you like, do you what do you want to do? You know, take a bigger risk or actually you know win right, And you know, I believe in momentum. Therefore, even if you are picking favorites and you know you're not gonna get a ton of credit at times if you pick the favorite, because the horse that won, you know, was supposed to do that, but hey, it can, it can develop some momentum and you certainly have that right now. And I got to get started at some point. We've got race number eight that'll take off in twenty three minutes, and I'll uh, I'm gonna be doing some hard hitting research. And I hope you guys believe me when I said that, because if so, then I'm a good live That's what the show is about. Hitting horse research. Yeah, hard hitting brad Dog, And we've been talking about a lot of you know, uh, I love the I love and also sometimes worry that if somebody was to just catch us at a certain moment and they didn't quite they didn't quite grasp the context of conversation. You know, they might think we were the most perverted, uh, you know, unprofessional people out there, which we may be, but you know, we may be that, but we try to sometimes, you know, disguise it. That's that's just what we what we try to do.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: What I've tried to do on like these races in yesterday where I won some money too, is because I think like the first four or five races was nothing but favorites, and like, okay, this is kind of how it goes.
Speaker 2: It's nice day, fast fast track, you like that. Oh yeah, And.
Speaker 5: Just knowing that that favorite, especially if it's overwhelming, just go ahead and pick him to win, and then just exact it and just like, guess, well, who's the next best horse here that you think is going to come in second? I get you a little bit more juice than your five to two favorite that's going to pay out like four or five dollars.
Speaker 4: Sure, if you are somebody that is like me that really only bets on like the Derby or around Derby time, I easily just forget that. When the favorites don't win in the Derby, it's usually just because that race is different. It's so much longer than the majority of the races that you see. Therefore, favorites are usually a pretty safe pick. I mean, maybe you don't want to do it, but like and sometimes there's not an overwhelming favor but there's a crop of favorites that clearly are believed to be in a much better class than the rest of the horses. So we'll see what happens, but I'm hopeful I can get some kind of a win before we wrap up the show case. Yeah, we get three more races, I believe, before they'll call it a day out there at a Churchill down.
Speaker 2: Keep you tabbed, Yeah, we'll keep you updated, all right.
Speaker 4: So we're gonna gohead and take a break just because I want to make sure to keep this thing on schedule as best we can. We'll get back into the Belichick thing, which is just, I mean, beyond bizarre, so much so that, like Charles Barkley, I don't think he said it to be funny. He was on Damn Patrick earlier today and claimed that he's going to reach out to Belichick because he's legitimately worried for him, which I think that makes sense. Also, will take a look at this year's Brown Barnstable Brown Derby GALLA invite list. That's a lot of words, but you know what I'm talking about, right the celebrities that are coming into town for the biggest party that we have here at the Kentucky Derby. So a lot more to come, two more hours to go, so stick with us right here on Sports Talk seven ninety