Speaker 1: You're listening to wake Up Call on demand from KFI AM six forty KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County. It's time for your morning wake up call. Here's Amy King it is.
Speaker 2: It is time. The time is five o'clock straight up, Thursday, May fifteenth, already halfway through May. I'm telling you this year is flying by so fast it's freaking me out. It might have to do that. I was going for a week. Or's hope May fifteenth, Come on, Thanks for getting your day started with us. We're live everywhere on the way of iHeartRadio app and happy to have you along to get your days started. Here's what's ahead on wake Up Call. More than twelve hundred Waymo driverless vehicles are being taken off the streets, at least temporarily. The right hailing company that's started operating in La late last year says a software defect has caused the autonomous cabs to crash into things. The crashes have been minor, no one's been hurt. Weimo says it has a fix for the issue. I'm going to hold off on taking those Weymos just for a little while longer. La Counties DA says signs are going to be posted in windows and businesses around the county warning bad guys that they'll be arrested for stealing. The yellow and red stickers say thieves will be arrested and prosecuted for retail theft.
Speaker 3: D A.
Speaker 2: Hoffman says since mid December, under Prop thirty six, which makes some shoplifting thefts felonies, more than one thousand people have been arrested. The President continues his WorldWind overseas trip. He's spending some time with US troops serving at the largest US military base in the Middle East. It's in Cutter. We'll find out what else is on the agenda for President Trump today with ABC's Jordana Miller. That's coming up at five twenty. Are you a napper? We know what the ideal amount of time you should rest your eyes is for maximum benefit and share that with you at the bottom of the hour. Birth right citizenship lands before the Supreme Court today ABC. Stephen Portnoy's going to tell us what's on the line and what to expect. That's coming up at five point fifty. So our show is packed. You don't want to miss any of it, So let's get started. With some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Workers at hotels and the airport in la have won first approval from the city council to get a big raise.
Speaker 4: The minimum hourly wage goes up in July to twenty two fifty and will grow each year till it's thirty dollars an hour in twenty twenty eight. But for now, ELI Tourism CEO Adam Burk says businesses could suffer because people aren't visiting or spending money here.
Speaker 5: We've seen a reduction of twenty five percent from Canada, twenty one percent from South Korea, sixteen from India.
Speaker 4: The workers say they deserve to make more as the city prepares to host the world for the Olympics. The businesses, including the ones who protested against the rays, will also have to pay more for employee healthcare. Mikeel monks KFI.
Speaker 2: News it's not a final it's not finally done yet. The city council is going to have to take another vote on it that's coming up in the next couple of weeks. Governor Newsom has announced a twelve billion dollar budget shortfall for next fiscal year. He blames economic uncertainty from President Trump's policies and expected Medicaid cuts.
Speaker 6: California is under assault. United States of America in many respects is under assault because we have a president that's been reckless in terms of assaulting those growth engines. Has created a climate of deep uncertainty.
Speaker 2: Newsom has proposed a temporary pause on free healthcare for illegal immigrants to help deal with the budget shortfall. He also wants to increase savings in the state's eighteen billion dollar emergency fund. The state's budget has to be approved by June fifteenth. Two people have been found dead at a homeless camp in LA's Westlake area. One of them is a mother who had recently been reported missing. This woman, who lives in the area, says the deaths should serve as a wake up call for the city to get people off the streets.
Speaker 1: Drogs around here.
Speaker 7: This new if he have for seven years, this never happened to before, never never, never, never saw how would somebody do something? The city have to know about.
Speaker 2: This prolim The deaths were discovered on Monday. The woman's body was in a tent that was locked from the inside. She had apparently been mauled or even partially eaten by some dogs. The man's body was found nearby. Family members say they weren't able to get a hold of the woman for several days. A Metro committee has signed off on a plan to study a water taxi between San Pedro and Long Beach for the twenty twenty eight Olympics. Supervisor Jennis Hans says it would make moving around during the Olympics safer, more fun, and less dependent on buses and trains. Supervisors are going to vote on the plan at the end of the month. I can tell you we took some sort of a water taxi thing when we were in Paris along the Sene River to go see stuff. It was very cool and Jenni's Han's right, it was fun, kind of a fun different way to take it around. Let's say good morning to ABC's Peter Harlambus's reader. Sean Combe's sex trafficking trial continues in New York today, so we want to take a little look back at what happened on day three when Combs's ex Cassie Ventura took the stand for a second day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good morning. It was really an intense thing of testony Yesterday, we saw Ventura continue to testify about how this relationship really turned violent and toxic, as she feared that she would basically have blackmail released against her if she ever turned on Combs, and how she was kind of perpetually subject to violence. Dura's actually got to see a bit of that blackmail evidence. They were able to show still images of videos of these so called freak offs. This is really central evidence in this case. Ventura argues that really she was compelled to do a lot of this because basically, if she ever disobeyed Combs, he threatened to release those videos and basically destroy her reputation.
Speaker 2: Okay, and then today the defense is going to take over, So Cassie's on the stand again today, correct.
Speaker 3: That's right, So it can be the first day of cross examination. The sense lawyers are hoping to repaint this relationship is one defined by kind of mutual jealousy and disdain for each other, so kind of painting this as a money grab. Yesterday we actually learned for the first time that that civil settlement, that civil lawsuit that Mentora filed in twenty twenty three, the thing that really led to this criminal investigation was actually selled for twenty million dollars. I expect that to kind of be a key theme that Sense attorneys are going to bring up time and time again during today's cross examination.
Speaker 2: Well, and I would imagine they'll also be talking about the ten years that their relationship went on. You know, if things were so bad. You can see prosecution I'm just you know, guess, guestimating right now, but you can see the prosecution kind of ramping up saying, well, if it was so bad, why'd you stay for ten years? And you know that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: I think that's exactly right. I think, you know, they're going to say this was a relationship that was fueled by things like jealousy an underlying love, and this is a thing they kind of brought up in their opening statement. They kind of suggest here that Ventura at the end of the day really just wanted to be married to Combs, and that things turned really sour at the end because she realized that was never really a possibility. They're trying to paint this not as a story of you know, a toxic cycle of violence and threats, but or they're rather one of jealousy an unrequited love at the end of the day. That might be difficult after what the jury just heard for the last two days, but that seems to be their goal today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Peter, the prosecution of course presented a very harsh picture of Comb's and his kind of sex, drug and rock and roll lifestyle, and us putting it mildly. But are they making the case to convict him of sex trafficking charges?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's at the end of the day the question everyone is asking here that you know, of course, Combs at this point has been painted as a pretty terrible individual, someone who's admittedly committed acts of domestic violence, according to his defend attorneys, who had a drug problem, who was not, by any means a saint. But they're saying none of this necessarily equates the six track if singing or racketeering. And to a certain degree, the testimony of Ventura herself doesn't go to the heart of those criminal charges. It's laying the foundation for this entire case. The story that kind of drives this, I think later testimony from people who witness this, who enabled this kind of abuse, people who worked for Comes, for example, or prevented her from being able to get help. I think those people are really going to be the witnesses that allegibly help paint this picture of a criminal enterprise.
Speaker 2: Okay, and how long is do we know how long the trial's expected to last.
Speaker 3: It's expected to go about six to eight weeks, so it could go all the way until July fourth, So I.
Speaker 2: Would imagine it's going to get very ugly as we continue. Peter Harlamus from ABC, thank you so much, appreciate the information.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Ongoing problems at the Newark Airport have the FAA and airlines meeting to try to figure out solutions. One problem is a lack of air traffic control. Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy says offering incentives to controllers may keep them from retiring or leaving. We're going to give them twenty percent of their bonus up front.
Speaker 6: Again, you've got to pay people to stick around and ru in an emergency situation.
Speaker 2: Duffy says he wants the airport to return to twenty eight arrivals and twenty eight departures each hour. Newark Airport has been dogged by delays and flight cancelations. The FAA says it's in need of technology upgrades. President Trump has asked Katar to help ease tensions with Iran. At a state dinner yesterday, Trump said the situation is perilous and in his words, we want to do the right thing. Earlier in the day, Trump said he wants to make a deal to end Iran's nuclear program. We're going to be talking with George Doannah Miller with ABC in just a couple of minutes to find out what else is on the agenda for today as he makes his way to the UAE. The Supreme Court is set to hear arguments this morning over President Trump's executive order to end birthright citizenship.
Speaker 8: The case before the High Court isn't directly about the constitutionality of the order, but the scope with which lower courts can issue nationwide injunctions. Trump's order to end birthright citizenship, which is generally accepted as the law under the Constitution's fourteenth Amendment, drew immediate lawsuits, and three lower courts have issued injunctions. Now it's up to the Supreme Court to decide if the lower courts really have that kind of authority. Mark Mayfield, Kofi News.
Speaker 2: A woman in Texas has been accused of buying ammunition and tactical gear for her son, who was allegedly planning what investigators say was mass targeted violence at his middle school in San Antonio, ABC's Alex stones As. The mom was arrested Monday.
Speaker 7: Her son was found earlier this year to have had a map of the school labeled suicide route. At the time, authorities found he had a fascination with mass killers. It was his grandmother who called police on Monday. They say y had ammunition, body armor, and in his bedroom even an explosive device.
Speaker 2: The boy had been staying with his grandmother and told police that his mom had guns and ammo at her house. We've learned to make gold, just not very much of it.
Speaker 9: Alchemists from medieval times would dream of turning lead into gold, but modern scientists have done just that. The basic difference between lead and gold is that an atom of lead has exactly three more protons than gold does. Physicists working at the Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland were smashing lead atoms into each other at near light speed, where they produced gold turns out. The atoms didn't smash into each other, but just missed each other, creating an electrical field, causing the atoms to kick three protons off, turning the lead in two small amounts of gold. Very small as in twenty nine trillions of a gram. Michael Krozer KFI News.
Speaker 2: Not exactly a gold rush.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: The Mary Tyler Moore collection is up for auction, featuring memorabilia from both her show and the Dick Van Dyke Show.
Speaker 10: The auction features nearly three hundred pieces of artwork, memorabilia, and decorative objects from Mary Tyler Moore's Greenwich, Connecticut home. They include the wall mounted m from Mary Richard's apartment, portraits by Peter Max, and an unused ticket that the MTM series finale in nineteen seventy seven. Doyle Auctioneers and appraisers will have select items on display at Doyle Beverly Hills May sixteenth to the twentieth and Doyle, New York starting May thirtieth, before a live auction June fourth. Dude, Mark Ronner, hay FI News.
Speaker 2: I had forgotten about Mary's M that she had in her apartment time. I'm wondering if that's what inspired my mom Because my mom has k's and she likes to collect things, so she now she has a lot of k's, and then she started giving me a's. So I have several a's around my house. I do have a W. You do have a W.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it's kind of fun, kind of fun. On a twelve to three vote, the La City Council's given first approval to a plan to raise the minimum wage for hotel and airport workers to thirty dollars an hour by twenty twenty eight. Hotel owners and businesses are warning that that's going to raise labor costs and force some businesses to shut down. They say tourism numbers are already down. City council is going to take a second vote on the plan. May twenty third, John Comb's ex girlfriend will take stand again today as the rap mogul's federal sex trafficking trial resumes. The defense will begin its cross examination of Cassie Ventura, who detailed yesterday how she says Colmbs raped her in twenty eighteen. Men are twice as likely as women to die from what is called broken heart syndrome. New research out of the University of Arizona studied what is officially called Taco Subu cardiomyopathy. The studied it for four years. The condition is fatal for eleven percent of men compared to five percent of women. At six oh five Tandle on the news, President Putin is a no show for peace talks with Ukraine's President Zelenski in Turkey. Right now, let's say good morning to ABC's Jordana Miller in Jerusalem. Jordana, President Trump is continuing his world win trip around the Middle East. He didn't go to Syria, but Syria's interim president came to him and the two met. Tell us what happened.
Speaker 11: That's right, for the first time in twenty five years, an American president sat down face to face with the leader of Syria. And you know, this leader, just several months ago, was basically labeled one of the worst terrorists right in the region. He used to be part of al Qaeda, and then he you know, he led a kind of a group that broke off from al Qaeda and was part a very active part of the civil war in Syria for years and years, and then managed to lead the final the final campaign that brought down President Basha Assad just several months ago, and he is well now many people call him a Jihattist, but in a suit right, and he's faced with many challenges, and it feels it appears that President Trump wants to, you know, give it a break, give him a chance to try to really create a new kind of Syria, one that is not aligned with Iran and Russia and China right, which was the case for decades, right, but one that's aligned with the West, and that means obviously with America, but ultimately down the line also aligned with the Gulf countries and with Israel. So strategically, what the President seems to be doing is smart move countries step in and try to take over and have alliances and interests in Syria. Whether it will work, I think, is an open question, and maybe whether it's being done a little too fast. Some will say nonetheless, it's an absolute change in US policy and could really shift things here in the Middle East in the long, long term.
Speaker 2: Interesting Jordana that you say that he was considered, you know, the worst of the worst, but still apparently better than Bashar al Asad. You know, it's sort of an enemy of my enemy is my friend kind of situation.
Speaker 11: It sounds like, right, I mean, Basha al Asade was a butcher, right, I mean he you know, we are so focused on what happens in Gaza or Ukraine. You know, there's just no comparison to thousands of civilians in Syria that the regime killed to stay in power over a decade, by the way, and I'm not sure anyone realized how weak the Siran regime was until al Sharha led that last campaign. And obviously he's not only ruthless, but pretty smart because he looked at what was happening in the region Russia was distracted with its warn Ukraine, because Russia really propped up the Syrian regime for many years. Right after the after the Year of Strip Spring started in twenty eleven, he saw that Iran was weakened, right, which was another huge backer of theory, and he charged forward and very quickly the Syrian army fell and Bashar al Assad got on a plane to Russia.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 11: So he you know, he's smart, and he's vowing to create a Syria that protects minorities and you know, is friendly to women. I think all of those promises found because he is again he comes from the ilk of a very hard line Islamis's background, which we've seen around the world, is not friendly to Christians, Drus, other minorities or Jews. And then of course uh has a lot of problems with women. Right, So we're gonna have to wait and see. The president is taking a gamble, really yeah, but maybe it will pay.
Speaker 2: Off and we will be watching that one. Today he met with the troops, the US military troops and Qatar. I've watched part of that speeches. I was getting ready for work and then he's off to the UAE in about Abu Dhabi today, So what's what's on the agenda for today?
Speaker 11: That's right, He'll be meeting with the with the leaders, the Amaranthi leaders in Abu Dhabi, right, And the UAE has really become one of the most prominent and important golf countries. And the UAE made you know, signed a normalization deal with Israel at the end of Trump's first term, and so Trump has a long standing relationship already with the UAE. There are more business deals there to cut, whether that's with Boeing or others. And again we see the president trying to really strengthen his alliance with the Golf countries, and it couldn't come at a better time. And it's related to the negotiations that are happening with Iran, right, because what unites everyone in this region is their desire to curb around nuclear ambitions, curb their support of terror, and curb their geopolitical aspirations to control this region.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 11: The Iranians want to be the leader of the Middle East, well, the Gulf and Katar and the Saudis of course, and of course Israel. They have different ideas, right. They want this to be an integrated and stable region and not one that is dominated by Iran.
Speaker 2: Right. And we will be watching and see what comes out of it. ABC's Jordanah Miller in Jerusalem. Thanks so much for the info. Appreciated as always, tux Enemy yep, all right. Santa Monica College has confirmed that a student has been taken into custody by Ice and is being deported. Officials say the student was picked up near his residence in West LA last week. The school added there has been no federal Immigration enforcement presence on any of its campuses. A new report suggests LA's financial troubles could end if more housing is built in some areas. Streets for All.
Speaker 4: Is an organization advocating for more housing built near transit stops like for buses and trains. The group's josh of Vredevoged says these areas tend to be off limits because of zoning limitations, but it would be a windfall for LA It would.
Speaker 2: Increase property tax income by around one billion dollars. Just under one billion dollars.
Speaker 4: A bill in the state Senate would allow for more up zoning, as they call it, paving a way for more homes with access to public transportation and more money for the city coffers, which are about a billion dollars short this year. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 2: A former DoorDash delivery driver from Newport Beach, has pleaded guilty to stealing two and a half million dollars in a delivery scam. The guy allegedly got the company to pay for deliveries that were never made. He pleaded guilty in federal court to a single count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud. He admitted to working with three others in twenty twenty and twenty one to defraud DoorDash one hundred and fifty thousand illegal cigarettes have been seized from a cruise ship that arrived in Long Beach. US Customs and Border Protection agents say two women traveling together from Ensinata, Mexico, had seven hundred and forty nine cartons of illegal cigarettes in ten pieces of luggage. The two were arrested after they failed to prove that they were permitted to import the tobacco products that are worth about sixty thousand dollars. Cases of whooping cough in California have risen, with five hundred and ninety reported by the end of April. Doctor Don Bucklin says that's a thirty five percent increase from this time last year, and infants are especially at risk.
Speaker 7: Do you cough hard enough that you whoop, and that's where the name comes from, whooping cough, because you cough until you can't breathe.
Speaker 3: And then you can kick a bigger than they call out a whoop.
Speaker 2: Whooping cough can spread between people within three to six feet. It begins like a cold, but then the cough intensifies. Buckland says the best protection is vaccination, especially for the very young and the elderly. More than twelve one hundred Starbucks workers across the country have gone on strike to protest a new dress code. Starting this week, Baristas have to wear a solid black shirt with khaki, black or blue denim bottoms. Starbucks says the new code will make their green aprons stand out. A union group says the company unilaterally enacted the policy without bargaining. It's a black shirt for goodness sakes, well, who pays for it? I don't know, but I have lots of black shirts. I can wear black shirts, and they're right. It does make the green pot of course it does, all right. HBO Max is back.
Speaker 12: HBO became HBO Max, then it became Max. Well, now it's going to be HBO Max again. Warner Brothers Discovery has announced its renaming its streaming platform this summer, after ditching the name two years ago. The change comes as Warner Brothers Discovery looks to scale back its volume of content and focus on quality programming and storytelling.
Speaker 2: Deborah mark Koffi News internews SO says the States facing a twelve billion dollars state budget deficit for the next fiscal year. In his presentation of his revised three hundred and twenty two billion dollar budget, he said the deficit is because of what he calls the Trump slump caused by tariffs. It's the third year the state is faced a deficit and we'll have to reduce funding for state programs. US Applications for jobless benefits held steady last week as layoffs stay low despite uncertainty over Trump tariffs. Three sixth graders in Fountain Valley been found with a semi automatic handgun and ammo on campus. Police say two of the three were arrested. The third was taken to the hospital was suspected mental health issues. The gun was found Monday at VISTAVW Middle School at six o five. Its handle on the news thirty bucks an hour for hotel and lax workers could be just around the corner. It's time to talk about nap time.
Speaker 7: So I am a.
Speaker 2: Napper just because of the weird hours. My dad was a huge napper, come home from work every night, sit down in his recliner and sleep for half an hour. Codo you nap.
Speaker 1: Today?
Speaker 2: I will? Yes, today, you will? Did the baby keep you up last night or something? Just during the week, Thursdays is usually when I get hit the hardket kind of hit critical mass. Yeah, yeah, will what about you?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 4: Every day, every day.
Speaker 13: Literally.
Speaker 2: Okay, So here is if you are a napper, here's the best time, according to talker research, to take a nap one forty two in the afternoon, which I think is weird because who can nap at one forty two in the afternoon, But that's what they say is the best time, and the best amount of time that people aim for is a fifty one minute nap that actually seems a little bit long. Researchers say that if people nap the wrong way, they end up feeling groggy instead of refreshed. And if naps last longer than an hour and twenty six minutes, which is thirty five minutes over that ideal time, you enter what they call the danger zone. Not going to kill you, but you feel more groggy and disoriented instead of refreshed. So the other thing that the researcher says that even that fifty one minute ideal nap time might be a little too long. A twenty minute nap is perfect for a recharge without you know, getting overtired. I have found that too, Like if I A'll lay down, shut my eyes and stuff, and then I'll kind of wake up on my own, I go, oh, I feel better and look at the clock, I'm like, only twenty or thirty minutes is passed. So it's a true power nap.
Speaker 4: I guess literally powernap like I can pass out for five minutes and be a little more fresh, which is weird, but I can do it if I have to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the benefits of a well time nap are clear. Fifty five percent of people in the study said they felt more productive right after waking up from a nap one forty two in the afternoon. Everybody, everybody's gonna leave their desks and put their heads down like naptime you did in kindergarten. Okay, time to get in your business with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho morning, Courtney, I know what I'm doing at one to.
Speaker 5: Today, taking a good and alf That's right, Yeah, that's exactly with these hours getting up the two forty five every day.
Speaker 7: Who I know.
Speaker 2: Okay, So the tariffs are kind of on hold for right now, but Walmart says, guess what, we're hiking prices.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so tariffs and all the increasing market turbulence means that they can't hold off on the price hikes, and they can't hold off on price hikes forever. This report is sponsored by Total Wine and more So. Walmart gave its earnings update earlier, and the retail giant delivered another quarter of solid results. Sales rows four and a half percent last quarter that topped Wall Street expectations. Walmart says it will do its best to keep prices as low as possible, but given the magnitude of the tariffs, they aren't able to absorb all of the pressure. A lot of their items obviously are coming from China. So Walmart, though, tends to serve as a big barometer.
Speaker 2: For the economy.
Speaker 5: So the fact that Walmart performed well but still warning investors of a lot of pain ahead when it comes to tariffs is not such a good sign for the other retailers.
Speaker 2: So we'll be reporting shortly, okay. And Walmart has toys and a lot of them do come from China. But what about the Hess toy truck? Is that the big yellow one?
Speaker 5: No, the toy trucks, the green and the green and white ones that everybody sees and we all know the jingle that we hear usually.
Speaker 2: Around the holidays. So I got that in your head all day today. But says a lot j Yeah, I'm sorry. So Hess has a huge toy hustle.
Speaker 5: Not only do they have those trucks that we get during the holidays, but they also sell miniature trucks which are rolled out late spring every year. They're small scale replicas of the previous holiday toys. Has says the tariffs are delaying the release of the mini collection this year. It was originally scheduled for June second, but a new release date will be announced as soon as possible. No word yet on the holiday truck for later this year, and I know a lot of collectors are going to be looking for that. We actually have a nice little collection of hes trucks in our.
Speaker 2: House because how old is your son? My son is nine? See perfect people have that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, people started to give them their old hest trucks, and so we have a big collection.
Speaker 2: I've been heer attic right now. So they're all nicely displayed.
Speaker 6: Though.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's talk stops stocks. I know we just got unemployment numbers or jobless applications and those seem to be holding steady. Is that going to help or hurt or make no difference?
Speaker 5: Well, it seems that a lot of people are exhausted when it comes to what's been happening with stocks, We've seen an epic rebound since all of the volatility in August, so we are seeing stocks heading for a lower open. SMP futures they're down about eleven points and Dow future is down eighty four points. Yesterday, the SMP managed to eat out slide gains, rising six points. However, the Dow fell eighty nine. But what's a big deal on the radar today for Wall Street? Dick's Sport Goods is buying Footlocker for two point four billion dollars, so a lot of people kicking around that acquisition this morning.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: Dix expects to operate Footlocker as a standalone business and maintain the Footlocker brand. Both rely heavily on selling sneakers, but when you look at their business model, Footlockers made up mostly of smaller locations in cities around the world. On the other hand, Dix has a lot of big box stores in the suburbs.
Speaker 2: It's a ginormous store all right.
Speaker 5: Yes, exactly, But tariffs have been a major headache for both companies.
Speaker 2: And for foot Locker. I would imagine a lot of shoes come from China, so we'll have to wait and see. Yes, and a lot of items too from Vietnam. Yeah, Bloomberg's Courtney Donahoe getting in your business every single day. We'll do it again tomorrow. Thanks Cortney, definitely see you later, all right. The LACD Council is given preliminary approval to hike the minimum wage for hotel and airport workers to thirty bucks an hour in time for the twenty twenty eight Olympics. The plan would start with a bump to twenty two to fifty this July and gradually increase each year. Council votes a second time on the increase next Friday. LA County DA Nathan Hoffman says Proposition thirty thirty six is making a big impact, saying more than one thousand retail theft arrests have been made since mid December. The voter approved measure reduced the threshold to make some shoplifting theft's felonies instead of misdemeanors. Max is becoming HBO Max again. Warner Brothers Discovery has announced it as changing its name of its streaming service back to HBO Max. It dropped the HBO in twenty twenty three. The company says it is bringing it back to represent the highest quality in media. We're just minutes away from handle on the news this morning, Starbucks workers are protesting. They've walked off the job over black shirts. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Stephen Portnoy. Stephen, American birthright citizenship gets an audience before the Supreme Court today. What are we expecting to hear?
Speaker 13: A high stakes oral argument that gets not just at the question of whether the president has the power to decide for himself with the Fourteenth Amendment means and how it should be applied. They're judges in cities such as Los Angeles or San Francisco or Sacramento should have the power to restrain a president and prevent him from carrying out his actions as he would. The issue is whether judges have the power to issue nationwide injunctions or whether judges should only have jurisdiction over there geographic areas. And that's the issue. It happens that it comes and it calls into question the presence Executive order on birthright citizenship. But this could have broader spillover implications. The Court very rarely here's oral argument in mid May it's a very late part of the term, which generally ends in late June. So this speaks to the significance of the question and the importance of getting a fast answer because so many of the president's executive actions have been hung up in the courts by judges who have issued these nationwide injunctions.
Speaker 2: Okay, so Stephen, then if I'm hearing you correctly, because I remember that from our conversations, like we think the Supreme Court is ruling on one thing, but they're actually ruling on something kind of different that might be a more technical thing. So while we're hearing about American birthright citizenship, is it's really, if I'm understanding you, about whether judges have the authority to issue the injunctions like have been issued against birthright citizenship, not the birth right citizenship itself.
Speaker 13: The law is a complex thing, and the way it works slowly, methodically is difficult sometimes to understand. And when it comes to the procedure here, that's what's an issue because this is playing out, this litigation is playing out in a variety of federal courtrooms across the country. There are actually three judges in Maryland, Massachusetts, and Washington State that quickly issued injunctions preventing this executive order from taking effect. The issue for the High Court now is not whether the President has acted properly. It's whether the judges have acted properly at this stage of the litigation, issuing injunctions, universal nationwide injunctions that the president from taking the actions that he would. And the question becomes, all, right, if you have hundreds of federal judges, are each one of them as powerful as the president?
Speaker 2: That's the issue, okay? And because you mentioned the three Maryland, Massachusetts, and Washington, But then injunctions have also been issued for immigration orders that have been made too during this presidency.
Speaker 13: Correct, well, sure, I mean right, and let's not conflate these things. I mean, you know each but but they're also injunctions having to do with, for example, the firing of agency employees, right, and you know, a variety of other things where the courts are saying, look, the president has taken this action, I judge whatever believe that he's exceeded his authority, and I'm going to issue a temporary restraining order or preliminary injunction that applies all over the country so that the president cannot take this action. The issue is whether judges have that authority, okay, and conservatives believe that judges are using this authority that they've taken upon themselves to an unprecedented degree, and it has raised alarm in the conservative legal community. Now, it's really interesting that this is the case that arises because the implications are tremendous.
Speaker 3: Think of it.
Speaker 13: If the High Court says, a majority of the High Court says that judges do not have the power to issue injunctions beyond their geographic area, their federal district, well, then that could mean that the Justice Department would have to go into court to defend the present's actions in every single one of the federal districts in the country, and there are hundreds of them, and you could have judges in different jurisdictions issuing different rulings one way or the other. It could be very confusing for the country, for the citizens to understand what their rights are. It could be very expensive for the Justice Department to make its argument everywhere in the country, and ultimately for the real people, who are the children yet to be born in this birthright citizenship case. It can mean thousands of children would be so object to deportation or even rendered stateless unable to access passports. So security numbers other benefits that Americans enjoy, and that's why legal experts are really eyeing this case high stakes and hard to predict, certainly before or a argument which starts an hour from now.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're so thankful that we have you, Steven Portnoer, to help explain all this because, as you said, it is, it's tedious and intricate and detailed and confusing as all get out for me. So thank you, Steven. You bet all right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. His information. Really, I don't know how you feel about it, but it's just so invaluable to me, like going to schools, I know. And it's super interesting how everything works in the US. Nearly a third of the inmates released in California during the pandemic have landed back in prison. A Calmetters report shows that between April of twenty twenty and December of twenty one, nearly fifteen thousand prisoners were released, and as of January twenty twenty five, about forty six hundred we're back behind bars. Mainly for things like gun possession, assault in burglary. More serious crimes like murder made up less than one percent of the total reincarcerations. The Fountain Valley Police Departments released video of a deadly officer involved shooting.
Speaker 14: Twenty six year old Ocean McClintock was shot after a foot pursuit. The video shows McClintock wrestle a gun away from an officer who was still in her patrol vehicle. At one point, the officer can be heard begging for her life over The officer's partner then arrived on foot and shot McClintock, who had climbed into the police cruiser by then. McLintock, who was initially wanted following a carjacking attempt, died at the scene. Daniel Martindale KFI News.
Speaker 2: A real life treasure chest has been found in San Francisco.
Speaker 9: An anonymous group buried a twenty two pound chest somewhere in the city five weeks ago. They said the chest was worth ten thousand dollars, with half of it in gold. The group posted clues online, including to trace the true route and venture only at night. To be certain of bearing, you'll need to pack a light. The group said Tuesday, someone who describes themselves as a value investor in tech guy from Europe found the chest and posted a pick of the silver box. The group said that was fast and gave the answers to their clues. They say they paid for it all themselves and would do it again if any deep pocketed collaborators were interested. Michael Krozer, KFI News.
Speaker 2: It's shohey Otani fifty to fifty bubblehead night. You can expect long lines at the station. Don't want to at the stadium. Don't want to deal with those. You can listen to the game tonight. The Dodgers take on the Athletics at Dodgers Stadium. The first pitch goes out at seven, and you can listen to all the Dodger games on AM five seventy LA Sports live from the Gallpin Motors Broadcast Booth. Then you can stream all the Dodgers games all season long NHD on the iHeartRadio app keyword AM five to seventy LA Sports. This is KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County live from the KFI twenty four hour Newsroom. For producer in and technical producer Cono along with traffic specialist Will I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up Call. You've been listening to Wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear Wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on kf I Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app