Speaker 1: From Hollywood. It's time now for John Lunn as Johnny Dollar. Dan, mate, you look word for me to call? Oh, Lieutenant, I've been trying to see you on this lot for that thing. What's your connection? Dollar? I'm investigating for the National Underwriters. Oh did you know Thompson? Yeah? Too bad. I'll be tied up till after lunch. You want to get together then, anything I can do in the meantime, No, thanks, but enjoy the weather. Dollar. I don't think you'll enjoy the case. I'll see you in my office about two, right, Lieutenant John Lunn. Then the transcribed Adventure of the Man with the Action Packed Expense a Car, America's Fabulous freelance Insurance Investigator, Yours truly, Johnny Dollar. Expense accunt submitted by Special Investigator Johnny Dollar to Home Office National Underwriters, Hartford, Connecticut. The following is an accounting of expenditures during my investigation of the LaTourette matter expenser count out of one ninety seven dollars and fifty cents airfare and incidentals between Hartford and Denver. I arrived at six thirty in the morning with a cold, sun filled dawn. I reacquainted myself with a mile highest city at the airport restaurant, where I drank coffee and waited for my luggage. I'd been there once before on a case in nineteen forty seven, but the denver I saw this time was a great deal different figure filled out, bustling towns like people change. I arranged to rent a car from the Avis people and drove on into the city itself. There I checked in at the Cosmopolitan, showered and shaved, and waited until nine o'clock before I rang Bessie Thompson's room. Oh, Johnny Dollar.
Speaker 2: Bessie, Oh you're here.
Speaker 1: Yeah. As a matter of fact, in the same hotel, same case.
Speaker 2: Tommy was working on. Yeah, be careful, Johnny. Everybody seems to die. Who has anything to do with us?
Speaker 1: Why don't I buy you some ham and eggs?
Speaker 2: Why not.
Speaker 1: Expense account item too? Four dollars and no, no, I guess not. This one was on me buying breakfast for the widow of the man who died on the case I was taking over. Was a difficult meal. I buried him here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would have taken his body back to Hartford with the expenses and all.
Speaker 1: Besides, it doesn't really make.
Speaker 2: Any difference where you're buried. Ground was frozen here too. I hear they have to use jackhammers.
Speaker 1: What happens now, Bessie.
Speaker 2: I haven't anything to stay around here for. I guess go home, try and get a plane out sometime today.
Speaker 1: Maybe that'll be better.
Speaker 2: I'm three two now and I'm still attractive. I suppose some man'll come along.
Speaker 1: Even then, Persie, what's this?
Speaker 2: You tell me where it is? The coroner said that Tommy might have been drunk, but he wandered out on the highway, and that the driver of the car that hit him could have done it not even known it. I know Tommy drank, but not like that.
Speaker 1: Or did he what do you mean?
Speaker 2: You were with him for three weeks in Omaha last year when he was away from home from me Johnny?
Speaker 1: Was he?
Speaker 2: I mean, did he drink a lot and get around?
Speaker 1: I never saw him do anything like that, Bessie. Honest, honest.
Speaker 2: Don't let him know.
Speaker 1: He was in love with you, Bessie, and he didn't care who knew it. Don't torment yourself with thoughts like that.
Speaker 2: We're awful right way, I mean, women.
Speaker 1: I think you're wonderful that way. Too, thanks.
Speaker 2: Tommy was murdered, Johnny. It couldn't have been a hit and run accident, and they aren't doing anything about it.
Speaker 1: They haven't found.
Speaker 2: Out a thing.
Speaker 1: Oh easy, honey, they're working on it.
Speaker 2: You know that it's all tied into that, not to let men. Tommy found out something and he was killed for finding it out.
Speaker 1: Bessie, I'll have to tell you right now. What reports Tommy sent in on Lautarette don't make him responsible in any way. Then why are you here just to wrap up the details.
Speaker 2: I see.
Speaker 1: There'd have to be something more than what we have now.
Speaker 2: Then there is something more. Tommy phoned long distance the night before he was killed. He said he thought he'd be coming home in a.
Speaker 1: Couple of days. You say anything about the case, No, but he was coming home.
Speaker 2: That meant he had it about finished.
Speaker 1: He sent in a report the day before he was killed.
Speaker 2: There was nothing, but the police didn't find any report for that day in his room. Did he get out to that place on the Golden Road? Who was he with, Johnny? He was killed. He had something on someone in this case, and he was killed.
Speaker 1: If he was, we'll find it out, all right. Where's he buried Crown Hills Cemetery. I'll send some flowers out there.
Speaker 2: Get the man who ran him down.
Speaker 1: He liked that a whole lot better. Yeah, guess he would. I suppose I was trying to tell her in the gentlest way. I knew that men do go out to taverns and drink, but occasionally they do drink too much, and that it was entirely possible that Tommy Thompson had been killed is reported and not for any information or investigating connected with Frank Latrette. When I met and talked with Lieutenant Mapes at two o'clock, he confirmed this, here's the report from our arson man. Uh huh, and this is from homicide. Uh huh. You can take those copies with you if you like. Had him made up for you. Thank you very much, Lieutenant. The fire was reported by a passer by about two o'clock last Wednesday morning. By the time the trucks got there, the whole bookstore was in flames. When they broke in, they found this a lot Forrest's body. She'd suffocated in the smoke. Her husband said she'd been there working on the books. There was no evidence that her death was anything but accidental. And in the opinion of our arson man, the fire was caused by a cigarette. She fell asleep working in the office and the police caught fire. But if your man Thompson probably sent you all this, isn't he? Yeah, the fire policy had to be investigating. Now as far as Thompson's death goes, we're looking for a hit and run artist. The people who operate the tavern out there said he absolutely was not in there that night, and any rate, we don't have to go on that assumption because we haven't been able to dig up anyone who can say he was there that night. The tavern people could be lying. Thompson could have gone in there, gotten himself loaded, and walked out in front of a car. They'd be in licensed trouble if that happened. Yeah. Sure. On the other hand, we would just have to assume Thompson wasn't in that tavern at all. And what was he doing out on the Golden Road. I don't know, you know, how he got there. I haven't found that out either. Still checking the cab company. He might have been with someone, Well, he might have, but I don't know that either. Dollar. I suppose you have wondered if it could be connected with a lots of ret Oh. Yes, I've wondered. When a man in the same business dies like that, you're bound to wonder. Wondering about things is one of our hazards. Dollars. Well, you have it all right there, Since a lot of Toorette stands to collect about eighty thousand dollars fire damages and seventeen thousand on his wife's death, he's been gone into twice. Now, your man Thompson did a lot of it. We did a lot of it. Yep. Now, the night of the fire, a lot of Tourette was bowling over the place on Glen Arm. Seventeen witnesses saw him there. He's in good financial shape, doesn't know anybody to die. The neighbors tell us he's always had a nice home life boy who plays football in one of our high schools. So why look at La Torett anymore? Yeah, but but you're a man. Thompson was killed looking into him. Is that it? That's it? Lieutenant Thompson's wife's in town. She buried him yesterday and she's pretty broken up. Sure she is. I talked to her at the funeral. Her husband died hard and cold out on a lonely road, and they we say he was drunk and got in front of a car. But in spite of the questions, we were just starting around about how he got out there on the Golden Road and what he was doing there. It still looks like a hit and run on a drunk and I had seen her about ending. No, no, I should say not. We want to find the bird who ran Thompson down. And if there isn't enough in those reports to satisfy you that the fire was an accident, that missus La Tourette's death was an accident, and that Thompson's death was what we say it is, then just sound your horn. I'm around all day and I'm opened any kind of subject. Okay, that sounds fair enough with him, I might give you a ring, right. I spent the rest of the day in my hotel room going over the bulky envelope of police reports. I compared them with information Thompson had forwarded to the office before he had been killed. No matter how you looked at it, the whole business was a story of tragedy, of violence in death. Mapes was right. I wasn't enjoying the case and I was anxious to close it. It was dark by the time I got out to park Hill and found the Lottorette home. Through the drawn shades of the living room, I saw the figure of a man. He didn't move, and I used the doorbell. Hey, Hello, in there, Hello, Who is it? My name's Dollar, mister Lotorette. He won't be back until tomorrow. I wonder if I could leave some papers for him, a sign.
Speaker 2: Leave him at the door.
Speaker 1: I'll get him play it. There was something about the voice, the strain and shakiness in it that worried me. I didn't leave the papers outside the door, merely tried the knob. All right, you made if you have Hey, what is this? Why the shotgun? Get in?
Speaker 2: You get inside and close the door.
Speaker 1: I'll kill you, okay, right over there, right over there? Right you can stop. Where's mister allowed to arrive? Oh, you'll get the same thing if you do anything funny at all. Why's get that from now to the day I died, I'll get your hands up up buck, you might still be alive. You could call a doctor him dead and make sure. I don't know who you are, why you did this, But you'll never get away. With it, they'll catch her. Who cares? You better give me that shotgun. Don't try to get close to me all.
Speaker 2: Who are you.
Speaker 1: I'm an insurance investigator. My name is Dollar, with the dollar. I don't quite know what to do about you. Give me the guy who knows. Oh no, this little baby's got more work to do tonight, Yes, sir, just a little more work. Why did you kill him? He killed a man and a woman. I guess that gives me a right to turn around and kill him. What man? What woman? Somebody you probably know, a man named Thompson. He ran over him the other night. Oh sure, he ran him down with a car because mister Thompson found out about a woman, his lady love Well, he had what a real pretty lady mother to set a fire so they could be together. I'll see that they get together real soon. Your mother. Your name is Latored.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of red. That's my old manline that we'll return to, yours, truly, Johnny Dollar. In just a moment now, with our star John Lennon, we bring you the second act of yours truly, Johnny Dollar. Bruce Laughtoette was young, and he was obviously out of his head with fear, but in spite of it, he held out of the shotgun. Turn around. Look, Bruce, this won't tell you any good. You can't get away with a thing like this. Turn around, I turn around.
Speaker 2: Go on.
Speaker 1: You're gonna shoot me the way you did him. You're gonna have to work on it a little harder. I won't turn around and die that. I don't want to shoot till you haven't done anything to me.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: I told you to turn around.
Speaker 2: Do it.
Speaker 1: He didn't do anything to you either, but your shot up.
Speaker 4: He killed my mother.
Speaker 1: He couldn't have killed her. The police checked him. The police don't know about Evelyn. Nobody knows about Evelyn's but me. She burned the story down and he might as well have done it. Evelyn, Evelyn who I'm gonna kill her too, And I'll shoot you if you don't stop right where you are. I don't want it, but I will. I'll stay there. Bruce, Bruce, Bruce, Bruce, give me the police hurry. I gave a license number and the description of the car with the falling, along with the other information on Bruce Latorette. Several Prowl cars arrived, but there was nothing that could be done for Frank Lottorette. I waited for lieutenant mates. We sure pitched this one wrong. Lord, Yeah, everybody didn't, eh eight fifteen. I thought they'd pick up that kid by now. Apb's been oun since shoophoned. Shouldn't be too hard to spot. He wants to kill somebody named Evelyn, and he looked pretty determined. I never saw such a thing in my life. You suppose he's dreamed, Alla, I don't know well enough. Lattarette might've had a woman who helped him burn down the store and kill his wife. He might've had to kill Thompson when Thompson found out about it. That's the part that makes it no dream teller. If we don't have that kid in her hands, pretty soon we'll be standing in another room someplace looking at another corpse tonight. Yeah, I know, how could we miss it? Who's Evelyn? Why didn't any of these people in the neighborhood know anything about it when we questioned around? I don't know. Let's see Ferrell and Hayes, Doug Whiner, Come on, Willie, let's talk to these neighbors again. Okay, boy, what i'd give for one gossiping old lady who knew everybody's business. You mean, who knew somebody named Evelyn? Yeah, I guess that's what I mean. An hour of questioning in the neighborhood revealed no one who had any knowledge of Frank Latoret's association with a woman whose first name was Evelyn. Bruce Latorette seemed to have completely disappeared somewhere within the city. However, at ten point fifteen, a young girl walked into police headquarters and asked to see Lieutenant Mapes. I was in the office when she was ushered in. What's her name? Miss Dorothy P. Kelly as a mister dollar, I'm lieutenant makes How do you do at the desk? They said you had some information about Bruce Lottrette. Isn't that right?
Speaker 4: What would you do to him?
Speaker 1: Try and stop him from killing another person? He's already killed his father.
Speaker 4: Yes, I know, I heard it on the newscast at nine o'clock.
Speaker 1: I want to sit on Thank you. You know Bruce, Yes, we go to school together.
Speaker 4: I don't know exactly how to tell you this.
Speaker 1: It isn't easy.
Speaker 4: I mean I've heard Bruce talk about it ever since his mother was killed. In the fire last week. I maybe I shouldn't have come.
Speaker 2: Down here at all.
Speaker 1: Well, if it'll help us stop him from killing someone else, he did the right thing. You know where Bruce is Dorothy.
Speaker 4: No, honest, I don't know that. I tell you if I knew.
Speaker 1: What has Bruce been talking about? Dorothy?
Speaker 4: Well, he was pretty upset about his mother's dad. He to be pretty high. Yes, he was out of school all last week, and then when he came back this week, we had lunch together one day. He hardly ate anything, just sort of sat there staring out.
Speaker 1: You know, did he say anything?
Speaker 4: Not At first. He used to talk to me all the time. I mean, we're a pretty good friend. Oh gosh, if my mother knew I was mixed up in.
Speaker 1: This, we'll talk to your mother, darthy On.
Speaker 4: Well, Bruce was sitting there and all of a sudden, he said they killed her. I thought he was crazy. I said, who killed her? And he said that his father and somebody named Evelyn killed her. He said that Evelyn set fire to the store and that his mother couldn't get out. He said his father had been seeing Evelyn for a long time. And he also said, tell me about telling all this to a man named Thompson, and that Thompson.
Speaker 3: Was killed too.
Speaker 1: Did he tell you who Evelyn was?
Speaker 2: No, sir?
Speaker 1: Did they say where she lived?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Did he mention her last name?
Speaker 4: Gosh, I don't remember. I think he just called her Evelyn.
Speaker 1: Nothing else about her? No, sir?
Speaker 2: Wait?
Speaker 1: God, is she teaches skiing?
Speaker 4: Well? He said he met her once with his father when he was skiing. Is she's a ski instructor somewhere? Does that help you?
Speaker 1: I need it? Might? It did help. Three quarters of an hour later, the owner of a sporting goods store, remember the woman named Evelyn Ward who had skiing classes on weekends. He located an address for her in North Denver, and I drove out there with Lieutenant Mates. He was a tall, plain looking woman in her early thirties. What is it, miss Evelyn Water? Yes, believed like to talk to you for a minute. What about may we come in? Yes? You know a man named Frank LaTourette. No boy, his son shot him to death side. Do you know him? Ms? Water?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Why are you here telling me this?
Speaker 1: Don't you know?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I had no idea.
Speaker 1: I was there right after mister LaTourette was killed. His son said he was going to kill a woman named Evelyn. He's still loose. What are you doing talking to everyone named Evelyn? You're going You didn't know a lot Tourette. You don't have anything to worry about. If you're lying to us, you're liable to get killed. He came by because we thought you might be the one he's after. We don't have a lot of time.
Speaker 3: I don't know anyone named Latouette.
Speaker 1: And you're okay, sorry to evolisee him. That's all right, good night, good night night. The pouting mouth, the plain face, the tall, ungainly person of Evelyn Water didn't fit the role of a homebreaker, a murderous but we sat in the car across the street from our house mates, put in a call for two more cars to come out. It really didn't get sunny all day to day. And this is a pretty lousy night. Nothing to say. Nope, sure you do. You could be in a nice, warm hotel room getting a head full of sleep right now. I can do that anytime. Right now. I wanna be around when somebody talks about a fire. My company has an eighty thousand dollars claim on and the murder and Tommy's murder, Oh the whole thing. Tommy's wife this morning, wondering if he played around with other women, the kids standing there shaking and crying and killing, and how to do more killing. I'd like to sleep. I don't think I could wonder where the kid went to. Should have had him right now if he stuck with a car at all? How could he walk around town carrying a shotgun without being a little conspicuous. Yeah, this could be the wrong everyone, it's the only one we've got a line on. Yeah, Dollar, this stinks, But that's the right Evelyn in there, And if that kid isn't picked up, you'll be around a killer tonight. Yeah, so let's go in and give her the business. She said, Hey, across the street, Well that's the car the kids. Yeah, let's go. How do you get here without over there? Yeah? Come on, Bruce, roturette. This place is covered. You'll never get away alive. Yeah, you're okay, shooting in the dark. I didn't gonna do any good, Bruce, Let me try it, sure, Bruce, this is Johnny Dollar. Remember why.
Speaker 2: I don't want to kill anybody, but I will if you.
Speaker 1: And they don't want to kill you, Bruce. Put down the gun. I'm going to get her the low take care of her. What you say is true, eve you kill, We're gonna have to do it, Johnny. Wait bos she isn't there upstairs window. He wasn't here, making himself a perfect target. One more chance for wreck. Throw the gun down. Okay, boy, Well that didn't. Yeah, I'll get an amble where they little again. Take it easy, they'll get her. They did get her. She was taken down and charged with suspicion of murder and arson. Bruce LaTourette was removed to the emergency hospital and died there three hours later. I was in his office when Lieutenant Mapes had a stenographer take a confession from Evelyn Water. All right, miss Ward.
Speaker 3: I met Frank three years ago skiing. He asked me to have dinner with him one night in town.
Speaker 1: Later. He'd seen me every now and then. What's this idea killing his wife? There?
Speaker 3: No, that was mine?
Speaker 1: You figured out how to do it? Yes? Why do you mind telling us about it? I knew she.
Speaker 3: Worked on the books in the store at night. I had a kidah store. I just went in there and saw she was sleeping and started a fire, how wastebasket. I knew the spoken that little officer.
Speaker 1: To the rest. Had you ever met her before? Oh? No, you never talked to her at all? No? Did he I mean about a divorce?
Speaker 3: He said he did, but I know he didn't.
Speaker 1: He didn't want to divorce.
Speaker 2: Her for me.
Speaker 1: So you killed her?
Speaker 2: I guess I did.
Speaker 1: The insurance man Thompson, Yes.
Speaker 3: I guess the boy told him about us. He followed us out to the place on the Golden Road. I told Frank we'd have to get rid of.
Speaker 1: Him, and we did. Who was driving, Elyen? I was your car? Yes, you killed him both then, missus Latoretta and Thompson.
Speaker 3: You don't think Frank could have the nerve to do anything like that, do you. I don't know why I went for him. I really didn't. I guess he had money, but no nerve.
Speaker 1: Okay, Emily, anything else, what happens to me, that's up to the core terble them. Expense account Item three twelve dollars, hotel and board Item four twelve dollars and fifty cents. Car rental item five same as Item one, Playing Fair back Home expense account total two hundred and nineteen dollars and fifty cents. Yours True eight Johnny Dollar. Yours Truly Johnny Dollar stars John Lund in the title role and was written by E. Jack Newman with music by Eddie Dunsteader. John Low can currently be seen in the Universal International picture Just Across the Street. Featured in tonight's cast were John McIntyre, Jeanette Nolan, Sammy Hill, Virginia greg and Eddie Firestone. Yours Truly Johnny Dollar is transcribed in Hollywood by him d'lhye. This is Dan cubberly inviting you to join us next week at this time when John Lund returns as Yours Truly Johnny Dally Sunday Nights at the Star's Address, distinguished drama is always your Fair When Lionel Barrymore narrates your Sunday Night Playhouse. Each week, this fine program turns the spotlight on a little known or unsung hero of American history, bringing you the highlights of his career in brilliant original dramatizations. Don't forget this Sunday on most of these same stations. Sunday Night Playhouse starring lion Or Barrymore America now listens to one hundred five million radio sets and listens most to the CBS Radio network.