Speaker 1: This is a direct quote from the book. On my face, it's not poop, it's chocolate. And then she's like, whoa, let me know. That was really funny. This author, I feel like, does not have an ear for human dialogue.
Speaker 2: Her son died. That was interesting, Okay, her husband died.
Speaker 1: Believe that they know, because it's all she talks about.
Speaker 2: The abandon him in age nine. Seem to have drug issues, alcohol issues, if we had issues, probably related to the fact that she's an introvert. Anyway, people are fucking horny for those octopus.
Speaker 1: They thank you. That's what we're getting to.
Speaker 2: They are oct a post.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's where we'll leave you. I think I think that's all we have.
Speaker 2: Hello, everyone, Welcome to Mean book Club. This week we read remarkably Bright Creatures by Shelby Van pelt Y. Just to puss it.
Speaker 1: You know, it's about puss. You know they have three hearts. You know they can grow to be up to seven deep puss.
Speaker 2: That was good. I'm sure you know, maybe we can even put a beat under that. That's gonna be really something like that, Blake, something like that, Blake, make that work. Like as always, we're your hosts. I'm Sarah Burton.
Speaker 1: And I'm Jonascravius, and you're listening to John and Sarah after Dark, just as tonight.
Speaker 2: It's just as tonight, the old card.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean Clara might join. I mean we look, we know from the season how that goes. Okay, Yeah, kiddo's stay up late at Clara's house. That's just what's going on.
Speaker 2: That's just where she is. That's that's just where we're out of.
Speaker 1: Life and we're figuring it out. But we've been recording on weekends a little bit too, mixing it up. So you might get Clara, you might get Sabrina.
Speaker 2: You Sabrina is busy. She does not make weekends. She's busy all she's so popular. It's really frustrating, really really frustrating.
Speaker 1: But we are here having fun.
Speaker 2: We are here. We heard your suggestion to do this book, and therefore we shall do it. Johanna, why are we reading this book?
Speaker 1: The why is our girl Chloe, who left a really funny review message that I liked. She said that she is a Patreon So love that. Thank you. Great way to set an example for other listeners, Chloe, It's very true. Also, love your name. Great name, so here's what Chloe had to say. I have not had the misfortune of reading this heartwarming, acclaimed piece of garbage about an octopus, a woman, and a shitty man child, but I think it would be a perfect fit for the pod. It's also soon to be a god forsaken Netflix movie for future bonus episode material. Chloe, you know as well. Thank you, Sarah. I say we call it right now.
Speaker 2: This one I got, It's I already got. That served to me the like ad for the Netflix.
Speaker 1: I had not seen any ads, but I was on Shelby Van Peltz Instagram and I so.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll talk about it. We'll get yes. Okay.
Speaker 1: So Chloe predicts that Sabrina will give it five stars. Wrong, Chloe, she didn't even read it. Sarah will give it two stars. John will give the number of stars that is most annoying. Okay, I did not get this far in the review. Actually, I've been so I've been like over top, over the top complimentary to Chloe.
Speaker 2: I know you have been.
Speaker 1: I've been like close.
Speaker 2: This happens every time, though, we really need to read the full wreck before we.
Speaker 1: You just don't expect there to be like, hey, guys, big fan of the pod, I'm a Patreon, and then it ends with like John, Johanna suck it. You're also great, Johnna sucks. I wish she was dead, but keep going.
Speaker 2: It's really good.
Speaker 1: John will give the number of stars that is the most annoying. Okay, and Clara won't show up. Okay, Sonny.
Speaker 2: It's so far, so true, so far true.
Speaker 1: Thank you for suffering to make your art. I love this pod. Now that seems like you love some people on the pod, Chloe, and not all.
Speaker 2: All right, this is a form of suffering. This is this is this is I like that suffering for our art. I really think we should.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, I'm sprying for my work too, because I have a very long commute these days. I don't even want to say the number because it's embarrassing. Two hours it is, it is slightly over two hours.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: Yeah every day though right now, yes, but it won't be every day, but yes, but it's I will say. The work we're doing for this podcast, the suffering for art has been so fun.
Speaker 2: Like I have infinite time. Oh right, yeah, that's true. You got that commute time, man, that's special you time.
Speaker 1: Really, it is it's it is like this really special. I listen. I've been listening to this one and also getting ahead on Secret of Secrets, so I'm going to be really prepared.
Speaker 2: What is secret? Oh? That's is that a book?
Speaker 1: We wait, it's a book we have later that I've talked about a couple times already. I even texted you and said, it's really long. You're going to want to get a head start.
Speaker 2: No, did you warn me?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: It's wow, seventy seven pages.
Speaker 2: Jesus No, we did really.
Speaker 1: Like small print, hardback Dan Brown book.
Speaker 2: Oh fuck? You know why? Because I thought I wasn't going to do that book because I thought I was missing it. And then we made the pod record, and so I think I was like ignoring all comments on it because I was like, look, I'm not reading that book.
Speaker 1: Fuck. Well, yeah, wow, you're going to want to jump on that. I can't even guess how long the audiobook is. It's got to be at least twenty hours.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'll actually have to read that one. You know, we'll see see what goes. Well, how did you read this one? Howd you read remarkably Bright Creatures?
Speaker 1: This was on the driving portion of my commute okay, So it only took me one week of driving to finish the entire eleven hour audiobook.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I also did the audiobook, and I feel like I feel like the audiobook was better than the book. Okay, maybe that's unfair because I didn't read the book, but just like I looked at the comments, I saw what people were saying, and it felt like people were like very positive on the guy who did the octopus voice.
Speaker 1: I've seen that as well. Yeah, what did you think of him?
Speaker 2: Thought he did a good job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought he did what he could with the material.
Speaker 3: Oh, I kind of.
Speaker 2: I think there was the one point later on with the opus not to get too far where he was like day one, three six' one of my. Captivity, oh let's got us cut the. Ship shall we we have a ring to? RETREAT i like. THAT i was, like all, RIGHT i was expecting.
Speaker 3: That that's.
Speaker 1: Cute, yes, yeah, yeah well we'll get into.
Speaker 2: It but oh yeah yeah, yeah but, okay, okay so we both audio booked. It, yes all, right but now it's time.
Speaker 1: For, Uh sabrina sums It sabrina sums it, Up Sabrina, sabrina and she's not here, speaking.
Speaker 2: So, whoopsies better we got? It do we have? It? Yeah we got it?
Speaker 1: Up all, right all, right this will have to be the.
Speaker 2: Cuff all, Right I'm, Marcellus, FINE i will Be.
Speaker 1: Tova.
Speaker 2: Okay and there's we might need one of us may need to Play.
Speaker 1: Cameron, cameron the character in the book THAT i think everyone universally has said the book would be better off without this. CHARACTER i get, That, Okay, Okay so if, needed one of us will have to jump. In, okay all, Right.
Speaker 2: Day five hundred and eighty six Of My. Captivity the woman who, cleans the old seventy year old woman who, cleans she's very, tiny is walking, around pacing back and. Forth she looks like she has something to, say but she's saying.
Speaker 3: It.
Speaker 1: Stop oh, Hello, marcellus it's Me, toba the building. Cleaner oh, oh she's Find. Marcellus IF i could tell you my life, story a bit of the plot of my, story it would unburden.
Speaker 2: WELL i hope she's not going to tell me that her son was killed thirty years.
Speaker 1: Ago, Marcellus if only you could understand, ME i was about to tell you about my son who was killed misterious at, sea even though he was only, eighteen and it's sounds like it would happen to an old ship's. Captain But i'm going to talk about it a. Lot i'm going to talk about it on every page of this. Book if we were a, book which were.
Speaker 2: NOT i just a woman in an. OCTOPUS i know you can't hear my, thoughts But i'm THINKING i know. Already, God i've seen your little locket with his face in, it and it, says it's just so. Obvious i'm an, octopus obser.
Speaker 1: Only you weren't so stupid and you knew what was heavy on my. HEART i, am okay a little more about? Me DID i tell you my son? Died just? Dead And I'm i'm kind of hunched and, tiny AND i am. BORING i am so. BORING i don't know WHY i have friends or why people like, me because my car conversation, IS i, mean it is unbelievably.
Speaker 2: Dry and she's Next she's gonna tell me she doesn't know her grandson is the one next to her also.
Speaker 1: Cleaning, oh And i'm just so lonely because you, KNOW i have no family at. All SO i Think i'm just gonna go to a retirement. Home for no, reason even Though i'm only seventy And i'm actually in really good. Health i'm gonna give away all my family heirlooms and all BEFORE i, Go i'm gonna just train this young man next to.
Speaker 2: Me that's your grandson clean the.
Speaker 1: AQUARIUM i don't there's something familiar about, him and the thing that bonds us is that we both love cleaning aquarium, last so you actually love.
Speaker 2: It that's genetic as an. OCTOPUS i know that that's.
Speaker 1: Genetic So i'm just gonna stay here at the. Aquarium DID i tell you that my life has been very? Tragic and BECAUSE.
Speaker 2: I steal a series of things in order for her to understand this, connection AREN'T?
Speaker 1: I i have the dead, sun BUT i also a dead.
Speaker 2: Husband So i'm just it's redden all over your. Face i'm part of.
Speaker 1: This, well this is pretty. Fun i'm part of this little circle of ladies called the Nit wits because we, knit AND i believe that that is something that is supposed to make you anyone listening.
Speaker 2: Laugh all, right here's the. DEAL i want to, die BUT i want to die in the. Ocean so IF i give you the information you seek, about, well you don't seek, it But i'm going to help. You i'm going to tell you your. Family will you please dump me in the ocean SO i can die a respectful?
Speaker 1: Death all, Right, Well i'm just going to go back to. Cleaning i'm going to go into detail about some of the CLEANING i. DO i clean under this the sea lion sculpture's. TAIL i use cotton. Rags you can't use polyester rags on glass because it will leave. Lines what else DO i? Clean because you the listener are going to want to hear about this in? Detail, oh fingerprints off the. GLASS i clean. FINGERPRINTS i talk about that about fifty times in the book and. Scene, Okay, OKAY i think that.
Speaker 2: WORKED i think we got. It, actually what? ELL i? Mean, honestly the plot is very. Simple KIND i think you guys can.
Speaker 1: Yes so this was a good one, too unlike The Dan brown, book which is really complex and, okay, well don't be able to improvise our way. Through, Okay, okay it really is. Simple it's that it's this octopus that talks about, captivity this Cleaner, tova and then, this As chloe said annoying Manchild, cameron who is Secretly tova's, grandson and we find that out at the end of the. Book it's her Son eric who died actually got a girl pregnant at the last, minute right before he got boomed in the head at. Sea that's pretty.
Speaker 2: Much it boomed in the. Head, yep that's. It and they all take a long time to figure it.
Speaker 4: Out.
Speaker 2: Oh also there's that other The, irish The, scott The. Scott, sorry oh my, God i'm so so, yeah my apologies to, It, ethan thank. You AND i guess there's a.
Speaker 3: Girlfriend we'll get into.
Speaker 2: It But, johnah what's the what's the wine pairing for this? Book?
Speaker 1: Okay the wine pairing is a beer and also a bar. Recommendation SO i just WHEN i was reading, this really, TRULY i was, like you, know what a great place to sen read this book would Be Sea Witch bar In. Brooklyn, sarah do you Remember Sea witch In South? Slope it was the nautical themed.
Speaker 2: Bar oh, okay, okay that helps and.
Speaker 1: Had a great. BACKYARD i just want to, say if you're a listener In New york and you want to go to a great bar In Sunset park, Area south So, Slope, Brooklyn Sea, Witch, man it's such great. Vibes it's.
Speaker 4: Great.
Speaker 1: Great one time we were there and there was this guy seeing at the bar and he was like he was kind of annoyed at us or. Something he's, Like, oh if you knew who my dad, was you guys would you guys would be really. Impressed he's a really famous. Musician and you could tell he really wanted us to be, like who's your? Dad and we never asked to be?
Speaker 2: Petty all, RIGHT i do want to, Know but ALSO i think that's a PRETTY i appreciate that you.
Speaker 1: Did, yeah like that he kept be like he's really. Famous, Okay So seawitch great, bar but you can't make it To seawitch and you just want to drink like you're At Sea. Witch i'm gonna recommend these are two summer. BREWIS i know it's not summer, yet but this is such a NAUTICAL.
Speaker 2: I feel like it takes place here this.
Speaker 1: Summer, YEAH i feel like you're gonna want to go with A Kona, beer which is A hawaiian brewing. Company i'm gonna go ahead and recommend the ConA Big Wave Golden, ale just a nice light, ale, okay or if you want to have some, FUN i, Know, sarah you've had this one with me before twenty First. Amendments hell or High watermelon such a great. Beer it is such a, tasty fresh taste like, watermelon but it's not overly. SWEET i, mean, okay well it.
Speaker 2: Does feel like right now you Have actually this segment has just changed into you recommending actual things you like as opposed to necessarily things that are related to the. Book is that?
Speaker 1: Okay? No because, okay the Giant pacific Octopus marcellus has a head that is described in the book as the size of a. Watermelon, okay, okay all, RIGHT i WILL i will suck off. That AND i just remembered that when you challenged.
Speaker 2: Me but, yeah great.
Speaker 1: Beer and HONESTLY i looked it up BECAUSE i was gonna maybe read a little blurb about, it And i'm not going, to BUT i want to say the writing of the mere blurb on twenty First amendments website was better than any single paragraph in this entire.
Speaker 2: Book, Wow, JOHANNA i play. Something oh, NO i kind of like this.
Speaker 1: Book What, YEAH i am shocked and saddened by this news BECAUSE i, HM i really strongly disliked this.
Speaker 2: Part, okay, well, NO i think this is. GREAT i, mean you, know it's a kind of discourse we.
Speaker 1: WANT i feel like it came out in your. Summary you were being. KIND i could tell you you're trying to help it. Along you were trying to help the summary. Along you weren't trying TO.
Speaker 2: I didn't know how to. CRITICIZE i did know how to criticize such a perfect. Book you, know how do you how do you criticize? Perfection how do you criticize something that's just partwarming.
Speaker 1: A perfect book and you didn't really find it just purely heartwarming and. Beautiful there's just no WAY i did.
Speaker 2: KNOW i THINK i did overall like. IT i.
Speaker 1: DID i felt like this was like a book light like this was the t A Trading wheels version of what a book would. Be it's like if you've never read a book before and you, were, like you want to be introduced to the idea of a. Book it's not quite a, book but here it. Is there would be characters like this if you, know they'd be better written and they'd have like real voices to sound like real. People but, like this is an, idea want to.
Speaker 2: GO i FELT i actually felt the. CHARACTERS i feel LIKE i did feel the characters pretty, well especially the first the Main tobin, camera AND i felt like the plot was very. Simple you knew where it was going the whole. Time but it was like the emotion behind, it the like, grief the like overcoming that all that was like enough to carry it for.
Speaker 1: ME i understand all of. THAT i think that it was so cliched that it like really felt like it could have been written BY. Ai it was like it was just an amalgamation of like here are one hundred phrases you would find in a heartwarming book strewn.
Speaker 2: Together there were a lot of heartwarming. Phrases we'll GET I i'm, SORRY i realized we didn't get into talk about like the book and the but maybe we'll we talk a little bit About. Shelby we'll get a little bit about a background from. Her so, yes why why don't we break break it down for?
Speaker 1: Us, okay so the. Author we'll start with the author because that makes more sense to do, that so, right it never. Does she is Named shelby Van PELTI's a former financial, consultant and her idea that morphed into a novel began in twenty thirteen when she took a fiction writing workshop At Emory. University one of the assignments was to write a short story from an unusual, perspective and she came up with an acerbic octopus who was bored and frustrated by. Confinement at, first she didn't worry too much that taking creative risk by having a highly intelligent, octopus or that she was taking a, risk because you, know she didn't think anybody would read. It and then she added this character of the seventy year old widow with a painful. Past she was born and raised in The Pacific. Northwest and she wrote it DURING covid when she was home with her four and six year old, kids which feels like a real slap in the face to the.
Speaker 2: Rest, yeah it. Was it was. Impressed, YEAH i did hear that. That she was, like, oh they went to bed at like seven point, Thirty and THEN i, wrote.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine doing?
Speaker 2: THAT i can't imagine getting my kids about at seventh, Thirty SO i can't fuck.
Speaker 1: It, NO i can't fuck it right, now but like to have the energy to do something else after your children go.
Speaker 2: To, Bed, No, yeah that's the it. Is it's, wild it'd be. Wild.
Speaker 1: Wild that'd be wild to. Me SO i don't appreciate that little Anew, okay okay at. All it's had a bad tone for me starting this. Podcast, okay so the. Book but how old is?
Speaker 4: She?
Speaker 1: Sorry, uh she seems, well, look if she had a four year old and six year old IN, covid that was you, know how many years ago was? That twenty?
Speaker 2: Years, like you, know she's not like she came into This i'm gonna, say not middle. Life but how the fuck is she?
Speaker 1: Young she looks pretty. Young you, know you're.
Speaker 2: RIGHT i GUESS i. Don't you're, Right i'm. Not nobody's telling me how old she.
Speaker 1: Is, well she is a very mysterious. FIGURE i could only find like one or two interviews with, her and Her instagram is, active but it's all book, promo you, know not the stuff we're looking.
Speaker 2: For graduated From claremont McKenna college in two is some. Information not, so perhaps she's just a little older than, Us, okay a little. Older that's actually significantly five or six. Years, okay, okay but, anyway.
Speaker 1: All, right uh, yeah, okay so if we.
Speaker 2: Were writing our first book right, now.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's. True my child's not four years old yet that's the.
Speaker 4: Time.
Speaker 1: Okay so it was published in twenty twenty two By ego Or Echo, press and it had an interesting trajectory on The New York Times Bestseller it had sort of a little pop at, first and then it you, know just kind of based on, marketing and then it fizzled out Until, christmas and then it picked up again and word on the, street heart, Es word on the street is this is not a book talk, book but it was actually a word of mouth book and people were coming in and asking booksellers about, it and booksellers, were you, know when you go into a book store The octopus, book The octopus. Book, yes, literally, yes you, know when you go to a bookstore and it's Like ashley recommends blah blah. Blah that is it was a grassroots, campaign which is, cool, wow, RARE i. Know but since then it's sold over two million copies and has been on the bestseller list for a cumulative year multiple times and one just according to one bookstore, employee this is a universal. Recommendation no matter what you're in the mood for or what you're going, THROUGH i can put this book in your. HANDS i, mean couldn't disagree. More if someone recommended this book to, ME i would be. Insulted you like, this.
Speaker 2: It's not, like, oh are you into, Fan it's not like it's like pretty that it's too weird about, It like the weirdest thing is that you're the perspective of the. OCTOPUS i guess like in that, WAY i can see how it's like anybody could read. This it's just like about and it has a nice. ENDING a lot of people don't want to read books that have like too much violence or it's.
Speaker 1: To make you, think, right?
Speaker 2: Gotcha, yeah challenge you.
Speaker 1: Maybe feel? Mad, Yeah, no what you just said is like, perfect which is, like it's not that. Weird it just has a talking. Octopus BUT i feel, like just listen to this. Quote In november twenty, twenty she sent a query to several. Agents one of, Them Kristen, nelson wrote. Back, immediately my assistant reached out to me and, said, this this query came in today and it's either brilliant or it's bananas because there's a talking? Octopus is that? Bananas is that really so? Crazy are we a society that can't even imagine a character in a book would be a talking. Octopus, yeah now it's like.
Speaker 2: Brilliant it's to me it is like, Normy like it's normy culture, weird, yes which is that's exactly, Right like it's not that it's just like enough people be, like.
Speaker 1: What a talking box of. Bit, yeah but it's.
Speaker 2: Not but in, actuality it's not that. Weird the octopus doesn't even do anything but.
Speaker 1: That you've described the problem with the entire. Book it is like it is for people that say the phrase hard pass and then they're, like, ah that was a. Joke you're gonna. Laugh it's not a joke. Anymore, okay it might have been a joke the first time somebody said it one. Time it's not funny. Anymore it has the tones and intonations of saying something, funny but you're not saying anything. Funny you're not. Funny do you understand What i'm? Saying?
Speaker 2: YEAH i, Do, Okay BUT i still think if something's normy and it's well, DONE i can get on board with. It and that's HOW i felt about the.
Speaker 1: Book this is so disappointing BECAUSE i just you're better than. This you're better than. This you're so funny and so. Interesting. Okay, oh and then a lucky stroke of, timing the manuscript went out to publishers not long after the release of the critically acclaimed Documentary My Octopus. Teacher it is lucky and it sold it, auction which usually auction means a good. Thing lots of people want it for a six figure. Advance. Wow wow wow.
Speaker 2: Wow man got to write an octopus book not to.
Speaker 1: Sell you've got to time it with. Something you've got to somehow know what's coming out and latch. ON i, think.
Speaker 2: All, Right so she did, it and this was her first, book, right, well, no it was the first. Book.
Speaker 1: YEAH i do like when it came out of a creative writing. CLASS i think that's.
Speaker 2: Cool, yeah good for. Her she went and did it even though she has two. Kids Inspirational, wow really nothing, wrong all?
Speaker 1: RIGHT i, guess, okay we can't attack, her but we can't attack the.
Speaker 2: Book all, right this, book we we've already introduced you to the. Characters So marcellus is the Giant pacific. Octopus it's that the is? It so? WOW i listened to the book AND i don't remember how to say. IT i also don't remember how to Say Solbey aquarium near The Puget. Sound we're Talking Pacific northwest is most of the. Book there's like a little bit that takes place In, cali but most of It's Pacific, northwest.
Speaker 1: A fun environment to be In.
Speaker 2: Toba sullivan is seventy year old widow who cleans aquariums at, night sure who and becomes friends With marcellus and Then Cameron casmore is a luckless thirty year old on the verge of financial ruin who comes to Soul bell So obey in an attempt To he's trying to find his, dad who he's never meant to try to extort money from.
Speaker 3: Him m.
Speaker 1: Hm you know which good for? Him he. Should you have a dad that's never been involved in your, life never. Paid i'll support find that person and extort them in whatever means you possibly.
Speaker 2: CAN i do Think, cameron obviously most people have a problem with this. BOOK i with him this character because he does. SUCK i think he does go through emotional, growth WHICH i hated him for most of the, book but then by the end probably Liked. TOVA i did appreciate him a little, bit BUT i think the biggest issue is THAT i have with him is that he's thirty years. Old he was written like he was twenty, twenty.
Speaker 1: Not even like he was sometimes written like he was. Twenty but then also it felt like a seventy year old trying to imagine what a young man would talk, like like, like whoa that the gym was lit, tonight my my fellow.
Speaker 2: Bros was it not?
Speaker 1: HOMIES? Whoa look at that gorgeous woman and the way she like it just?
Speaker 2: Her, yeah that was the funny. Thing So, cameron he's, like has no, money he's in a, camper you know that, smells and he's trying to, like you, know trick someone and giving him information about this guy who he thinks is his long lost father and this other, woman, goodness the girl what's the girlfriend's, Name.
Speaker 1: Katie the one that kicks him, out or his Friend elizabeth or his Mother, Daphney, oh none of? Them girlfriend and Soul Bay.
Speaker 2: Avery Avery avery pops in and it's like he just and basically he's, like you got ship on your, face like says a bunch of, stuff and you smell, bad like says a bunch of stuff him and he follows around and it's just like, tits, tits, tits something like. That, Oh, god, yes it was VERY i did not like this interaction and then, like, no somehow walks away with her. Number it didn't make any goddamn.
Speaker 1: Because his way of flirting was to look. Back this is his. Flirt, okay he looks back and he, goes it's, chocolate by the, way And avery is. Stupid, ALSO i guess because she, goes what like she didn't remember the interaction she just had seven seconds, ago and he's, like on my, face this is a direct quote from the. Book on my, face it's not, poop it's. Chocolate and then she's, like, whoa let me get you my. Number it really almost like.
Speaker 2: That it. Was it. Was it was ridiculous BECAUSE i was even, like even if they had some sort of the conversation progressed and she was, like, OH i was maybe too mean to this. Guy, whatever you still are not, like you still are not gonna be, like let me give this guy my. Number you're not gonna be like this is SOMEONE i want to consider. Dating?
Speaker 1: Whoa we were really Treating barbes back, there he's.
Speaker 2: FAST i think it was something like her reasoning was, like, OH i like wounded creatures or. Something was? That was it something like, that but it was, Like, okay he's not your. Target she's like running her own, store she's doing well for, Herself like come, on this isn't this doesn't make. Sense and then you find out later the reason why it's okay that she's with him is because she has a teenage. Son so she had a kid as a. Teenager so because she's a single even though she's like successful and some has her own like what is, it what does she? Do wakeboarding or? Something has her own business.
Speaker 1: Wakeboarding tourism, business which isn't, true incredibly. Lucrative, yeah she.
Speaker 2: And seems to have everything. Together but She cameron's okay, though because he's you, know She's, yeah how could she find someone she's.
Speaker 1: And not just any kid a fifteen year old who's going to leave the house, Soon so you, know how could, she you, know do any better Than. Cameron, YEAH i, know it's.
Speaker 2: Ridiculous, yes she Like. CAMERON i guess That's. Cameron seemed for someone who kept complaining about how unlucky he, was he seemed pretty lucky throughout this.
Speaker 1: BOOK i would, SAY i think he's, Hot, Sarah so he was hot person. MAGIC i don't.
Speaker 2: Remember him being described as. Hot but you're right is the only way that it makes sense to. Me it makes.
Speaker 1: Sense he does have a little bad luck in the beginning when he gets kicked out of his apartment by his Girlfriend, katie and she does her apartment Totally yeah it's her, apartment but she does it in this totally, original non cliched. Way he comes home and they have a big, fight and even though they've been a couple for a long time and they live, together she Says, Cameron i'm, done and she starts throwing his things out of the, apartment you, know the way regular couples break. Up it's totally. Normal it's definitely not just something you see In hollywood. Movies and Then cameron has the realization, that, man this is something from the. Book, man this is just like something you'd see in A hollywood. Movie but this is no. Movie this is real. Life that is a realization that happens more than once in the.
Speaker 2: Script is. Things, yeah there's other characters that are always like she must have gotten that from A tv show.
Speaker 1: That comes up a, lot or LIKE i can't Believe, wow this plot point feels like something out of an adventure, movie but it's not it's not a work efficient it's my real. Life so it's like really cool breaking of the fourth wall that you know the author is doing in a, way playing with the fourth, WALL i would, say teasing at.
Speaker 2: It, yeah like fingering, it, yeah.
Speaker 1: Fingering SO i really liked how she was able to the author was able to capture this relationship and minimize it in this incredible way where they were able to break up in just a couple of. Seconds And cameron, said But, katie where WILL i? Stay and she, said not my problem. Anymore and it felt LIKE i was, like, yes this dialogue it's. Crackling it feels so.
Speaker 2: WEIRD i, Mean i'll be. HONEST i like slept through that probably the first third of the. BOOK i was not paying much attention to defending. It, well it got me, eventually it got, me you, KNOW i kept. GOING i pushed, through and THEN i was, like you, know MAYBE i would say to the, writer maybe, Edit maybe we don't need the first third of the. BOOK i don't, know just start with him arriving in.
Speaker 1: TOWN i would cut the first, third and THEN i would trim to cut the second two, thirds like just.
Speaker 2: Well there were some funny things where it's, like, okay so in this, story we know we hear from the octopus's, perspective and that's how we know for sure that he is the grandson she didn't know she. Had cameron Is cameron, is and that she is like a lonely widow is kind of like. Sex she just have, family and like all of her other friends are starting to the nitwits are starting to move away or like move in with their you, know, family and she kind of is very, lonely and she even she's with these, people but they're not really her, Friends like she's not in the way that she can really talk to them because they're just living different.
Speaker 1: Lives and, yeah she, well, YEAH i mean they're her best. Friends and they say things like, whoa what is what is that ring of octopus looking suckers on your? Arm it looks like an octopus's arm grabbed. You and She tova prides herself on being like super, honest but she just, says, oh it's, nothing AND i love friends like, that you know WHAT i, Mean like our conversation is so, fun And i'm, like whoa did any drama? Happen and you.
Speaker 2: Just go, like, no, okay all, RIGHT i get, that BUT i think that's like a little bit of like insight Into, Toba like she's she's a very private, person AND i think that's.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, NO i love those kind of, people, like you, know the.
Speaker 2: Conversation being really mean to like people who are like. INTROVERTS i don't mind an, introvert, okay because you're coming at them hard right.
Speaker 1: Now, No i'm coming At tova. Hard.
Speaker 2: Okay toba wants to keep it's a. Secret she's keeping it a. Secret.
Speaker 1: Okay why it's the only interesting thing that's happened to you in the last fifty. Years you can't give it the last fifty.
Speaker 2: Years her son, died that was, interesting, okay her husband. Died believe that was.
Speaker 1: INTERESTING i, know because it's all she talks about all the. Time the book.
Speaker 2: Doesn't, though that's part of. It you hear her, thoughts but she doesn't really talk about.
Speaker 4: A lot of.
Speaker 2: ISSUES i think that's part of the. ISSUE i think that's part of the. Issue she doesn't really talk to other humans about her. Issues so that's what she starts talking With, octopus which is is, hard but that's Why cameron comes, along and finally like she has someone and she can like move on past. Everything, YES i. GUESS i think the funnier part was that there was a guy who worked at the grocery store who we've mentioned his name a bunch of, time Like scottish Guy, ethan who also figured out That cameron must be her. Grandson, yeah LIKE i.
Speaker 1: Didn't genealogy research or something.
Speaker 2: Like asking someone else in. Town there's ALSO i mean, SORIYRE i can't, okay So i'll finish this thought and Then i'll go that he finds out and then he like instead of like calling, her he's LIKE i have to have her over for, dinner and then like doesn't tell her the dinner's. Over he's like. Cleaning she cleans everything. Up he comes. In she has used his like a grateful dead t, shirt the apprized possession that he kept under the sake she used it as a rag to, clean and he's so upset about it that he can't tell her this like crazy definitely more important. Information and then she's she just got like yelled, at so she like leaves and then instead of being like chasing after her or even following up with a phone call or, anything it's just like, well she's just not gonna know for. Longer just.
Speaker 1: A heroic figure in the. Story he's supposed to be.
Speaker 2: Likable it's just a lot of people scared to. Talk that's what it felt. Like a lot of people not not great at, communication little, little little, nervous and you want to help them. Out you want to be, like come, on, babies you're the, octopus and you're, like, okay come, on, babies figure it, out. Babies you guys can be, happy have a happy.
Speaker 1: Ending, YEAH i think you. KNOW i guess you're. Right the book is a bit of an attack on. Introverts, YEAH i.
Speaker 2: What if introverts were the hero the main. Characters that's essentially. Wanted maybe that's why people like. It they're, like oh somebody finally someone's doing. Nothing, yeah represents.
Speaker 1: Me finally people are like. Me they're doing, nothing they're saying. Nothing they bring nothing interesting to the table with their.
Speaker 2: Friendships she, actually, THOUGH i will, Say, toba she. IS i thought she was interesting because she was like when she made the, decision she was moving and she just was doing it even though everyone was like, no, no, No she's just Like, nope this is What i'm. Doing i'm moving goodbye And i'm selling this And i'm doing, it and it was like she was so she was like very stubborn in that, way and you kept, waiting you kept hearing, Thinking, oh she's not going to sell the. House she's going to find out and she'll like give it To cameron or some. Shit but, no she actually does and it ends up so. Happy Any BUT i just mean they KEPT i feel like teasing, that, like oh it got lost in the, mail you, know maybe you don't and you'd be, like, oh she doesn't have to sell. It, no she's gonna still sell it. Anyways but. Fuck going back back to what happened to her, son this is like the whole MYSTERY i guess of the book is such as her thirty years, ago her, son who was like eighteen at the, time disappeared and people were, like oh he killed himself or oh she always wanted to hope he'd come. Back it's kind of like. Sad it is VERY i guess like the police seemed like they did a bad job interviewing everyone because they clearly never interviewed the girl he was. Seeing, yeah who maybe would have been, like, Yeah i'm pregnant with his. Child or something more perhaps and as is kind of like, HEAVILY i don't maybe not, heavily but is kind of, UH i don't ASSUME i can think how think it. Works not assumed is implied that perhaps she was there when he, died that he, uh but it would have been.
Speaker 1: Worth it for the police to check out crowd introverts to he can't do.
Speaker 2: It small town people, talk but not. Talk that's a whole, like, oh small town people, talk but not not that, much not so much that it wasn't until a, dinner a goodbye dinner for one of her friends that a, guy a drunk guy WHO i guess went to school with her son can say, oh, yeah he was with that. Girl and she's, like, What.
Speaker 1: YEAH i didn't know about a. Girl i'm So i'm hurt all over. Again my son kept. Secrets sounds like he was a bit of an introvert. Too, Yeah and, LOOK i think what the message of the book is being an introvert hurts, people and it can died actually interpreted this game by a boom.
Speaker 2: BECAUSE i Guess daphne was an introvert and she just didn't need so she kept it. Inside when she saw her, boyfriend the father of her, child get knocked out of the. Boat she, Said i'm not going to tell. Anyone i've got to keep this.
Speaker 1: Inside believe that he killed, himself you, know that's what was.
Speaker 2: There, also Did marcel's also talk about like eating the remains of a body or DID i make that?
Speaker 1: Up definitely made that. Up but that's the kind of stuff that the book is. Missing imagine the octopus eight her son's, remains and that's.
Speaker 2: Doesn't he thought. HAPPENED i thought happened at some, Point but THEN i was, like, wait how old or conn?
Speaker 1: Octopus he mentioned finding when he was a young buck octopus finding the like buttons and clothing and the keys of Missing eric in the. Book, oh so he did find he found he found the, Body BUT i don't know if he found a body he Found, like, okay you, know maybe it was a. Body he does?
Speaker 2: It SO i just. DIDN'T i just made up the part where he also a.
Speaker 1: Incredible this book would be so much? Better are you kidding? Me why didn't he eat the?
Speaker 2: BOTTLE i think it'd be pretty much the same three to five. Years, Wow so that had been there twenty five years when that maybe by the time that octopus found they presume not gonna. Began yeah. TOO I i also was confused because you know What cameron. Like they kept being, like he's, thirty but he seems. Younger BUT i was, like, oh just because he acts so. Mature and then it was just, like, oh so nobody so she doesn't do the math or like she assumes she. Does like even if she, was If tova looked at, him was, like you remind me of my, son and it would be, like.
Speaker 4: It's.
Speaker 2: Impossible m.
Speaker 1: H i think in her mind it was impossible because she didn't even know he had a, girlfriend let alone that he was. Fornicating, yeah and introvert and Impregnating. Cameron by the, way we are also treated to this really great friendship he has with a female friend Named, elizabeth and you know they're good friends because they call each other lizard breath and Camel. Tron isn't that so?
Speaker 2: Funny that's definitely the part of the. BOOK i wasn't paid.
Speaker 1: Attention it's just so. Good you, know it's so cute to imagine calling someone that for thirty.
Speaker 2: Years were they in the band together or?
Speaker 1: WHAT i don't, oh the Band Moth green or whatever the band.
Speaker 2: Was now it's way worse than. That hold, on.
Speaker 1: It's way worse than. That oh, yeah in case you, already in case you were thinking about Liking cameron even a little, bit he's in a jam band as. Well that's falling apart because one of the members is having a.
Speaker 2: Baby oh, no, SORRY aai is really letting you down BECAUSE i know it's. Right it's not, right it says in remarkably bright, pictures remarkably bright creatures By Shelby Van. Pelt the band mentioned His Blue. October oh, god, no that's not the fucking. Band, god, AY I.
Speaker 1: I'm sad for. This why did a tree have to die for?
Speaker 2: That it just does? It, YEAH i will SAY i will agree with you here That I'm shelby Van. Pelt is. Not her strength is not these clever. Specifics they're not they're Not they're not her. Strength and you're, RIGHT i don't think she could write a thirty year old man very. Well he just he never felt. Thirty he always he felt like he did like a. Man he felt like a fully formed character to. Me but it didn't make sense that he was a thirty year old. Man, no he's always felt like an eighteen year, old AND i didn't know a.
Speaker 1: While, YEAH i thought it.
Speaker 2: Was, like, oh something like his, background and so he's, like you, know arrested, development kind of something happened he's WHICH i guess maybe kind of was the, case but didn't feel like it fully explained why he was written so unlike a thirty year.
Speaker 1: Old, yes that's very. True CAN i add one more thing about his Friend. Elizabeth, oh there's the moment THAT i checked out of the book, Forever and So elizabeth is nine months pregnant or maybe eight months, pregnant And cameron is staying with her After katie kicks him, out and he says something LIKE i can't wait for the baby to, come And elizabeth says a. BABY i THOUGHT i was just. Bloated and then the author adds for us the Reader's elizabeth's eyes crinkle. Teasing so here's WHAT i loved about. That the author told us that that was a, joke and, like so let me explain it to you in case you don't. Understand wasn't didn't really think that she was just. Floated she was kidding with her.
Speaker 2: Friend excuse me, sarcastic because they're the best butts and they never had.
Speaker 1: Sex, yeah they totally never had. Sex so but you, know sometimes it's hard to tell when you're. Reading so the author helped by saying she was joking m AND i appreciated.
Speaker 2: That CAN i also tell you, Something, johnna mm, hmmm The NITWITZ i didn't realize they were. KNITTING i was. NOT i was fully not listening whenever they talked about. Knitting and then if they WHICH i get it makes sense the name that that's where it came. From but then they never talk about nitting. Ever, Again no they. Don't they. Don't SO i just was, like, okay they call it themselves in it.
Speaker 1: WITH i, mean it made as much sense for that to be true as anything else in the.
Speaker 2: Book SO i can't blame. You all, right thank, you thank you for not blaming me for.
Speaker 4: That you're.
Speaker 1: WELCOME i hope you can now rest easy and quote let out the breath you didn't know you were holding end, quote because that's something that comes. Up, yeah three TIMES i counted in the, book AND i think that means it happened at least six. Times but that's really. Cool that's a kind of you, know really original. Dialogue you're going to get in this, book AND i, think To sarah's, point you can listen to it really fast and it's just. Simple it's simple for what you.
Speaker 2: Can miss the first third and it's, okay, okay, yeah it easy. Here i'll SAY i Found marcels. Relatable, OKAY i like he really didn't like. PEOPLE i like, that and he thought they were, stupid AND i found that very. Relatable.
Speaker 1: YEAH i did Like. Marcellus i'm gonna be. HONEST i think he could have been more. SURLY i think he could have been, funnier for. Sure.
Speaker 2: YEAH i think that's WHY i was so you, know almost for, me the book was not funny until. That, oh let's cut the shit shell away From marcellus because it.
Speaker 1: Was so unpretty gat in the.
Speaker 2: Book it was very late in the, book BUT i was charmed by it BECAUSE i was, LIKE i didn't know we were doing.
Speaker 1: Humor, no, No and it was frustrating because there were opportunities for, it like this one moment stood out to me Where toova hurts herself and she has to leave her post for like four weeks And marcellus is, like my glass is becoming riddled with. Fingerprints the cleaning woman hasn't been in in some. TIME i can only surmise that she. Is and, like in my, HEAD i was, like, dead ha, ha that's so. Funny that's a funny thing for him. Thing but he's, LIKE i can only surmise that she has retired and isn't coming. Back those were the choices of this book made over and over, again.
Speaker 2: Which, yeah you're, right dead would have been, funnier.
Speaker 1: Watered down version of, This like why didn't the octopus eat the dead body Of toba's? Son you, KNOW i couldn't we have old?
Speaker 2: Enough, well the ages. Don't it doesn't add. Up she would have had to change that a little. Bit, Yeah but you know WHAT i? ELSE i liked that there was like a cat, that, Yeah tova. Had was it just called? CAT i feel like.
Speaker 1: It, Was, yeah it was just called.
Speaker 2: Cat and then she. Moved then she moves AND i feel like.
Speaker 3: She just leaves the cat.
Speaker 1: Behind just wondering where you were going with, THIS i was, like you like.
Speaker 2: THAT i, Know that's WHY i liked. IT i was, like, yeah fuck that. Cat and but then Like marcellus is an octopus and he gets like an epic death last. HURRAH i like. THAT i like the exposition between the two of, those because you, know Very you're, like, Oh, tova there's a cat that she was like kind of taken care. Of she could have a relationship with this cat like she has With. Marcella's but no she does. Not, NO i feel like that says a.
Speaker 1: Lot she, like, yeah she lets like she Lets marcellus go, free and SO i think something similar with the house.
Speaker 2: Cat, yeah but it didn't Have it wasn't a. Moment but there was no. Moment, no there was like an emotional.
Speaker 1: Thing, now BUT i do give a bad. Person thanks for pointing that.
Speaker 2: OUT i do like the symbolism With, tova like letting go of the octopus as so she's like letting go of her the past kind of. Grief YEAH i. DO i. DID i did find that. TOUCHING i did like the happy ending that the manchild came back and he's there and he even got a real, job and.
Speaker 1: And Now tova has a, grandson which is what she always.
Speaker 2: Wanted, yeah she's got basically somebody to take care of her if she falls. Again, yeah WHICH i have to tell, you that's probably what got to me the most about this book is thinking about old people and her fault and like our parents and, stuff and being, like, oh we gotta be ready to take care of.
Speaker 3: Them, yeah you.
Speaker 2: Know are they sad Because i'm not close to all of mine all of all of your in laws are parents, stuff all of my many, parents so you, know AS i was born in a. Commune but, like, Yeah i'm, like, oh or how sad AM i making?
Speaker 1: Them that's kind of, no you're right it. OKAY i did have similar thoughts right as you're reading, This you're like time comes for us all and, like, yeah, well like, DEFINITELY i was, thinking, like, WELL i have room to take care of people if they need taken care, of you.
Speaker 2: Know in my.
Speaker 1: House NO i do. Not, NO i do not. Either but you know it's like if somebody THAT i love really needed, it what WOULD i?
Speaker 4: Do?
Speaker 1: Right, yeah you think for? Sure, Yeah and like it is sad because in the beginning of the, book she's, LIKE i have no. One but it's also tough because it's like she didn't have a she made the choice to have a, child and she planned her life around that and always expected that she would have that child there for her in old age and you, know maybe, grandkids WHICH i think is different than obviously than when people make the choice to be childless and there they've already imagined their life and they have plans in mind for like what.
Speaker 2: It has been thirty years, though you feel, like you, KNOW i don't, KNOW i don't, know maybe it's.
Speaker 1: Fresh, YEAH i think it's still.
Speaker 2: Fair and her husband had died. Recently. Yeah. Yeah it also made me, THINK i, MEAN i have two, kids BUT i was, LIKE i need to have more kids against one of them.
Speaker 1: Dies my God. JESUS i, mean you, know you gotta have some.
Speaker 2: Backups you got to have.
Speaker 1: BACKUPS i do you think it's best to have a. LOT i don't think your ancestors did.
Speaker 2: It, yeah you, know, YEAH i got that. Back that's why there was, like, yeah Like girard and then there'd be That gerard would die and then there'd be like Another. Gerard be like what is this family? Tree why are there Three gerards in this?
Speaker 1: Family because there's one that, worked one that's.
Speaker 2: Yes but uh, yeah kind of was like or just that like you could have kids and they COULD i feel like just people move more than they used to back in the, Day like you, know she's got this house where it's like her great grandfather or like her dad or, sorry right, whatever it's like the fen in the. Family it's like people don't do that. Anymore and it's kind of, LIKE i don't, know it's it's like it's, sad but it's the way it. Is AND i don't, KNOW i don't think it's going back to, that SO i don't.
Speaker 1: Know, yes it definitely made me think, like, oh you, know there's something nice to this idea that, like like my mom lived in the same town that her parents lived and my dad stayed in the same, place you, know and it is it. IS i THINK i know a lot of people that are not in the same place as their. Parents i'm not in the same, place, Right and it's like you do feel a little bit of like guilt or, yeah oh that you, know that would be nice to have those same sort of memories in that. Proximity but also remember a lot of our recent ancestors didn't just move a state. Away they came across the ocean from their.
Speaker 3: Family yeah that's.
Speaker 2: True so it's also more like. Them we're not like.
Speaker 1: Them we're more like adventurers setting. Sail BUT i, mean, really that's only three generations ago that we're talking about two, Generations, yeah one generation for a lot of, People like it's happening. Now people are leaving their, friends their, families their, culture their whole lives and like starting. Fresh SO i, think you, know it feels LIKE i feel like one family will get settled somewhere and they might spend a couple of generations there and then like usually someone offshoots somewhere, else you. Know, yeah yeah, too as far away as another city in the same. State, Crazy, yeah we're. Crazy isn't that someone across the.
Speaker 2: Country, yeah, Yeah but, YEAH i don't, Know SO i don't know what's his aunt seemed Like Aunt jean. SUCKED i have An Aunt. Jean so, Sorry Aunt. Jean When i'm talking About Aunt, Gene i'm not talking about.
Speaker 1: You crazy to take it as, That but, Yes, angie we Love Aunt. Jane i've only ever heard great things About Aunt.
Speaker 2: Jean daphne is his, mom who abandoned him at age. Nine seem to have drug, issues alcohol. ISSUES i had, issues probably related to the fact that she's an introvert, anyway and she and so he was left with her older Her, jean who lives at a trailer par and is very proud of her.
Speaker 1: LAWN i don't Think jane was so. BAD i think she was a little mean To cameron during one phone, call but when he was going to buy her new, house and she's, LIKE i, like it didn't.
Speaker 2: Sound like a great parent, though or BUT i guess like she wasn't supposed to be a. Parent so can you get that mad at her for being a surprised you have to be a?
Speaker 1: Parent, Yes and so, okay she was not. Great but then he Finds, tova so he doesn't need a gene. Anymore he Has, grandma fuck, Aunt, jean Fucking. Jeane she's dead to. Us And jean was a little too extroverted for this, book so she had to be cut. Out she'd be taught a. Lesson, yeah but he Finds.
Speaker 2: Tova but can you talk like this a? Lot did you notice? THAT i mean it was like everything he was doing was like but come, on and it wasn't my. Fault oh, yeah stop talking to me about how to put the trash in, right doesn't.
Speaker 1: Matter and it's, like, well you're being trained by your, employer who Is, tova who's like the cleaning. Lady SO i would, say she does know how to put the trash in, right you.
Speaker 2: Don't have to be Disrespe he, yes he. Is he's never held a, job and he kept talking about how smarty. Is it was actually so. Annoying that was the worst part of his.
Speaker 1: CHARACTER i think another thing that bothers me is, like So cameron And tova find each other and they're two peas in a. Pod they love cleaning glass with a cotton. Rag but so when the book gets to have a happy ending for that, reason but it's like a sort of wish fulfillment happy ending instead of characters that are sort of like.
Speaker 2: Shown to be, similar, no, like instead.
Speaker 1: Of characters who create their own. HAPPINESS i feel like the book was, like here you, go this impossible thing that like you didn't Like, Wow tofa was really, lonely and she shows my grandchild and like here we presented. One And cameron's lonely and he always wanted to have a relationship with his mom and he needs money and more, help and it's like here you. Go AND i feel like.
Speaker 2: That's.
Speaker 1: Nice it is, happy and it's very LIKE i guess, hollywoody BUT i feel like it would be nice if they had been able to find satisfaction fulfillment in the things that they had instead of like something that would be impossible to actually achieve in real.
Speaker 2: LIFE i guess you mean like a talking. Octopus, no the talking octopus is not the. PROBLEM i, mean. OKAY i feel Like atova's, character she did have her, development like character development at that, age WHICH i feel like has to be. Hard you have to be so sad in your. Ways, yeah but like the, octopus that's like she's like a rule. Follower she's pretty like, dour she's pretty like you, know not doesn't want to show, emotions and then she like she gets in touch with their. Emotions to the, octopus she's like keeps the, same she's keeping a secret with the, octopus who like breaks out and then, like, uh THE i guess the big moment for her, is, Uh cam's like writes a note to quit and she.
Speaker 3: Takes.
Speaker 2: It, yeah because she doesn't usually wouldn't usually do Old tova wouldn't have done, that but she did. It cameron just as stupid and got like angry and started driving and lost his phone and then was Like I'm i'm being, dumb which he, was and turned around and came, back which you knew would.
Speaker 3: Happened, yeah you knew this.
Speaker 1: Book you saw the happy ending coming a mile away in this.
Speaker 2: Point we knew they. WOULD i was glad they found each, other AND i do, agree LIKE i do think it's funny the octopus. SERVED i, didn't, OKAY i didn't find That tova And cameron seemed, related do you know WHAT i? Mean like personality. WISE i wasn't, like, oh that's the same type of Thing tova would, say or like there was nothing like that that felt like it was just the octopus being like they moved. Similarly. Yeah, Yeah and THEN i was, like all, right, OCTOPUS i believe. YOU i DRESS i hear that.
Speaker 1: Word, YEAH i did not catch it. Myself and ALSO i have to admit whatever the octopus first, said like there was no question he was her progeny or something like. THAT i was, like, well she had another. Kid that was WHY i. DIDN'T i was, like, whoa she had another? Kid how did she not? Know that's usually on the man's. Side, WELL i guess.
Speaker 2: WHAT i did. TOO i did, too BECAUSE i THINK i just was like the. TIMELINE i was very. CONFUSED i was, like, Hat, wayne when did her kid die when is? This?
Speaker 1: Yes how old is?
Speaker 2: This? Guy, LIKE i couldn't follow.
Speaker 1: IT i knew that the sun got boomed in the head in the, eighties BUT.
Speaker 2: I was, LIKE i didn't know WHAT i didn't know what year we were.
Speaker 1: In, Set, yes, exactly because everything she didn't have an email.
Speaker 2: ADDRESS i was, like this could be said in two. THOUSAND i don't.
Speaker 1: Know cameron's just living in the camper and like buying a flip phone from SO i don't.
Speaker 2: KNOW i was just, like, yeah it didn't feel like it was.
Speaker 1: Today, YEAH i didn't.
Speaker 2: KNOW i don't actually know when the book was. SET i hope not if they if it was set and when it came out twenty twenty, three that's, shocking.
Speaker 1: Certainly by the language. Used it didn't make any.
Speaker 2: Sense that doesn't make any. Sense but that's why math was hard for. It that's that's kind of, like by being vague and in not making, sense it kept us from being, like, hmm Maybe cameron is her. Grandson, YEAH i.
Speaker 3: Guess.
Speaker 1: YEAH i did learn some good octopus facts AND i liked. That would you like to share Some, yes the octopus has three, hearts one, power. Lungs one power is his gills or, something and one powers his, heart which stops when he's, swimming which is pretty. Cool the heart one.
Speaker 2: Stops mm, HMMM i liked.
Speaker 1: That i'm more.
Speaker 2: Interested oh my, god, occupy what something really horrible to tell you about The Pacific northwest Giant pacific? Octopus, okay they? Grow, okay this isn't this first, part Isn't They they are over one hundred. Pounds they reach over one hundred pounds before me said this is going to really affect, us AND i don't. KNOW i wasn't brought. Up females die shortly after their eggs, hatch having spent months caring for them without.
Speaker 3: Eating, okay that's.
Speaker 1: Why are we glamorizing this. Creature of, course.
Speaker 2: It's so so fucked.
Speaker 1: Unbelievably, literally they are just a vessel to imp and once that is, done the, world the earth is done with the female.
Speaker 2: Octopuses they give so much that they die because they weren't.
Speaker 1: Eating the male octopus couldn't come by with some, clams.
Speaker 2: Cucumbers she's the mother of your, children who's caring for, these these these, eggs these, hatchlings and you're just old or.
Speaker 1: DIED i can't come by with a mollusc that's. Crazy it's so. Fucked AND i bet she's working. TOO i bet she's. Working she's a full time working mom as.
Speaker 2: WELL i BET i bet where's her maternity? Leave?
Speaker 1: None, god this is so.
Speaker 2: FUCKED i don't. Know i'm Now i'm changing WHEN i think Of. Marcellus i'm just here By.
Speaker 1: Marcellus, no he says he never, copulated which was another disappointing turn of. PHRASE i was, like you never, Copulated, Marcellos so you never, fucked because that's WHY i. THINK i wanted to, say that's what we wanted in our, heart but this book was too cowardly to call it like it. Was, No, Wow marcellis that's really screwed. Up he's what an. Asshole that's his, society that's what he wants.
Speaker 2: To, yeah it's weird that there was a female one coming and he wasn't, like let me fuck her BEFORE i. Die, YEAH i don't. Know maybe that would have been.
Speaker 1: Weird, well maybe too, introverted couldn't say what was on his big watermelon.
Speaker 2: Brain yeah it's.
Speaker 1: True, no that's. Horrible you might be, bright but that doesn't mean that you're a good. Person is What i'm. Learning you can be a remarkably bright, creature but you can still be a big time. Misogynist did you, say did you talk about The?
Speaker 2: Netflix? No, WOW i THOUGHT i thought you were going to talk about.
Speaker 1: IT i know? WHY i, mean why do you think there was no summary? Done what have they happened? Here?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Okay because do you know who was? PLAYING i know it was, Saying i'm hoping It's Kathy? Bates is It Kathy Sally? Field, okay that's a really great. Pick that's a, really really really good.
Speaker 2: Pick, Yeah Lewis pullman As. CAMERON i don't know who that. Is let's to do a little there's already a, trailer official. Trailer. OKAY i don't you look kind of? Familiar BUT i don't know what you've been in.
Speaker 1: A News pullman looks really old people Like.
Speaker 2: Cameron he was also In lessons In. Chemistry, yeah he's thirty? Three, okay S couch.
Speaker 1: Turns to gold or was already gold before he touched? It?
Speaker 2: YEAH i don't know.
Speaker 1: Anything about, him but you, know all?
Speaker 2: Right? Cool, well anyway that comes? Out when the fuck?
Speaker 4: Did?
Speaker 2: Oh? SORRY i got Lost may, eighth though probably not long after this comes out. Director oh my, god this is the overlaps are. Crazy the Director's Olivia, newman who also Did where The Crawdad sing directed. It, yeah directed.
Speaker 1: It one of my all time least favorite movies That i've ever. Seen That, Yes. SABRINA i shot With sabrina and she cried in the movie theater AND i got more and more. Angry all, right we'll.
Speaker 2: Definitely have to do. Something we'll have to well to do a Little.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, NO i like it because it's already people we've sort of collectively hated, on so it's like we're not really. Increasing they just.
Speaker 2: Got together and made another one of. These oh, man But Sally, Fields oh my, GOD i wonder what the what's the what's the octopus look?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: Quickly, yeah what does the octopus look?
Speaker 1: LIKE i like that? Question who Plays?
Speaker 2: Marcellus it's not showing me what it looks like in this. Teaser never, Mind, sorry maybe maybe that was. RUDE i don't. Know they'll for me to stop and watch.
Speaker 1: It Alfred molina Voices. Marcellus but, no.
Speaker 2: So he's gonna be the. Same should have just got the guy who did in the. BOOK i thought he did.
Speaker 1: Good you know would be nice if he was just a big, puppet like a big but not like not a normal like not a realistic looking, puppet but like a cloth muppet puppet For.
Speaker 2: Marcia that Would i'm sure that would really be good for the. MOVIE i think he's in this. Animation we'll see How we'll see how do they do? It, okay we'll see how the effects. Are, well we'll rate it on a scale from zero to. Ten all. RIGHT i don't have anything else to say about this.
Speaker 1: Book You, no this will be One i'll soon forget or maybe, not because sometimes the bad ones really stick with, Me like what happened on The Bolean sea or?
Speaker 2: WHATEVER i can't remember what? That you remind me what that? Is what happened in the.
Speaker 1: House it was the one with the boy who was the Orphan and.
Speaker 2: It's so not getting me. Anywhere Harry, Potter, no it.
Speaker 1: Wasn't it, Wasn't Harry. POTTER i want to make Sure i'm saying the full title. Correctly house on The Cerulean sea was.
Speaker 2: BIKE i can't remember what.
Speaker 1: Bloone it's About Linus, baker who is sent to evaluate an orphanage for magical children on a remote, oh.
Speaker 2: Orphanage oh so it is kind Of Harry.
Speaker 1: Potter, cosey, whimsical. Uplifting, okay there's.
Speaker 2: Something there's An antichrist in.
Speaker 1: It, yes one of the children was The antiques because he's a. Monster, okay why is this information that's coming to you for the first? Time BECAUSE i totally don't.
Speaker 2: REMEMBER i kind, of, like very vaguely remember.
Speaker 1: It it's FUNNY i remember BECAUSE i really really hated that.
Speaker 2: BOOK i got, You, OKAY i got.
Speaker 1: You So i'm. Worried i'm worried that this one is going to stick with me, too because of how we'll.
Speaker 2: SEE i do wonder What Sabrina, well we'll find. OUT i, know, Sadly chloe's not going to get to. Here sabrina's five out of five on. This but maybe we'll be able to do the bonus we know she had. One we'll do the bonus app and we'll see mm hmmmm. Hmm we'll see what she. Says all, right would you give an answer as our?
Speaker 1: Author, no it's just, dumb it doesn't, matter all, right we would do.
Speaker 2: That we can be we can.
Speaker 1: Just we'll just do she it was it was what fired. You she's like watching a video on. YouTube but to be, fair there is more to her, answer so okay Good reads five star. Reviews sharon, says like other book, REVIEWERS i was skeptical about a book we're regarding an. Octopus, okay it's so, weird so weird that people are even questioning. It BUT i was immediately. Captivated similar to other, REVIEWERS i researched octopus, information and they're considered the most highly, intelligent the most intelligent of all, invertebrates and they can radically alter their body shapes to, squeeze squeeze through small. Gaps that's her. Review and, also like from the, Book.
Speaker 2: Sharon sharon was just impressed That shelby did research on the. Octopus that was this is apparently a review that's, like, look this author did research at octa.
Speaker 1: But Sheriff sharon's research took her to the same place as that the book took. US i guess really.
Speaker 2: Cool it wasn't hard to find this. INFORMATION i found it quite easily. Myself five.
Speaker 1: Stars it inspired me to learn more of the. Same so. Okay liz, said there have been lots of books between dogs and cats forming impressive bonds with, humans but this is the first that involves an octopus in a Human is? IT i don't even know that it.
Speaker 2: IS i DON'T i don't. KNOW i guess we'll look it. Up, OH i just remember THAT i did listen to or read something where she Said Charlotte's webb was a inspiration for this.
Speaker 1: Book, Okay SO i guess that's another eight legged, creature.
Speaker 2: You. Know.
Speaker 1: Okay and Then Brooke, avaic who's a writer by the, way credits herself as an. Author interesting said all caps with a combined seventeen exclamation. Marks, brilliant, heartwarming, witty a. TRIUMPH i laughed out loud and sobbed my pretty little eyes. Out, Okay, BROOKE i would throw myself in front of a two ton bus For. MARCELLUS i need a sequel that's the same events of this, book just told through the constant twenty four to seven stream of conscious pov Of Marcellus.
Speaker 2: Mare MARCELLUS a.
Speaker 1: Triumph toba is more than welcome to have a few chapters sprinkled in as. Well cameron could hit this one. Out despite the five star served a five star. Review In brook's, mind.
Speaker 2: People are fucking horny for this.
Speaker 1: Octopus they, yes thank. You that's what we're getting.
Speaker 2: To they are oct a post.
Speaker 1: And that's a nice full circle moment for the. Episode, sarah a word that you find. Funny, yeah so that's where we'll leave. YOU i think that's all we.
Speaker 2: Have, okay, yeah, right.
Speaker 4: GREAT i guess we should do our hate, rates though we.
Speaker 3: Should we must.
Speaker 1: Our hate, Rates, OKAY.
Speaker 2: I.
Speaker 1: Okay, well it's hard to think of what the most annoying number might, Be, chloe BUT i Guess i'll. Try i'm going to give it a.
Speaker 2: ONE.
Speaker 1: B isn't that an annoying.
Speaker 2: Number it's not a number, Annoying it's a. One.
Speaker 1: OKAY i feel Like i'm actually coming hard At chloe the Podcast No. Clo you're, RIGHT i do pick annoying numbers, sometimes but this isn't one of those. Times i'm gonna give it a too because.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: Bad but it was no house on The Serulian.
Speaker 2: Sea it was no, misery not.
Speaker 1: Misery it was no malice By Daniel. Steele but it is just it's poorly. Written. Uh this, AUTHOR i feel, like does not have an ear for human. Dialogue maybe that was The Pacific northwest is, too is too. UNPOPULATED i do appreciate. THAT i Think sarah AND i correct. It the whole thing is a giant attack on. Introverts they must be. Eradicated, yeah and so it got a point for. That finally someone speaks out against the introverts for taking over this.
Speaker 2: Country, okay before going into, THIS i THINK i was gonna Do i'll be, HONEST i was thinking four out of, five BUT i have to BE i. Was the conversation did bring up a lot of the issues in a way THAT i am going to. Lower i'm going to go end up at a three out of five for this. BOOK i do think for most normies if you could recommend this book, too just like and they would probably like. It like they're, like, oh crazy, octopus but it is like it's also just a book that deals with some grief but like doesn't go too dark and also has a happy. Ending, Yeah AND i feel LIKE i get people who just might want to just read some books like, that might want a nice little palate. CLEANSER i feel like that this does it for, you even if you know some of The. Cameron the characters are a little, unrealistic the humor is not, great but you know THAT i don't think this is a humor. Book, really if you think this is a funny, BOOK i know what You're you're an ormy and this is a book is for, You and that's that's really good where we. Are that's.
Speaker 1: TRUE i think it might be an opportunity to discover that you're a normy if you read this.
Speaker 2: Book, yeah and that's, okay so FUN i was laughing so.
Speaker 1: Much that's, Okay and that's.
Speaker 4: Okay just.
Speaker 2: YEAH i, MEAN i KNOW i know some. NORMIES i know SOME.
Speaker 1: I have some neighbors who are. NORMIES i. DON'T i don't have any, friends LIKE i haven't personally befriended, one BUT.
Speaker 2: I THINK i do have a few.
Speaker 1: Guys it's. OKAY i can't say. THIS i have a normy, friend do.
Speaker 2: You.
Speaker 1: Know, Yeah i'll recommend this book to.
Speaker 2: Them oh you get.
Speaker 1: Recommended this book By Sarah. Burton she considers you a. Normy whatever that. Means BUT i think we all connect what it. Means we know what it.
Speaker 2: Means, JOHNNA i don't know how we're gonna do, well fuck her up THE i, MEAN i don't think we've ever had an episode where was just two of.
Speaker 1: Us oh, Wow so at first that's really. Cool twenty one seasons.
Speaker 2: In, okay, Wow, OKAY.
Speaker 1: I know it's not.
Speaker 2: Me, YEAH i, GUESS i Guess i'm gonna have to, Say, Johanna uh, Okay i'm gonna say you're the little fucker of the cast because you didn't even do any research on the. Adaptation and probably the biggest thing is you try to Blame sabrina for the. Summary now BE.
Speaker 1: I do Blame sabrina for the summary not being. Here we all have, Jobs, Sabrina we're all. WORKING i hope she. LISTENS i Hope meg listens and reports back the little.
Speaker 3: Tack can?
Speaker 1: It can it Be? Sabrina?
Speaker 2: No, oh you know what a Fuck you've already go to mess that.
Speaker 1: Up yeah, yeah, Okay so my little fucker since we realized it could Be sabrina Is. Sarah BECAUSE i really feel like you could have known that and done, that and instead you chose an attack on. Me who Is i'd, say.
Speaker 2: Like a very loyal.
Speaker 1: Friend, okay we put in we put in a lot of, energy you and me like we're, yeah we're putting in the. Work, okay we're always like for, real always read.
Speaker 2: It, always we'll make.
Speaker 1: It we'll make. It let's just a quick. Reminder we're recording. Tonight, oh is anybody gonna do the? Outline and, okay and instead of the, outline you did the. Outline, yeah instead of, SOLIDARITY i did that line even THOUGH i got on the wrong train on my way home to, work added longer time to my commut in a panicked, moment got on the wrong. Train, okay you came for me AND i. Will don't forget. That, okay and it cuts.
Speaker 2: Deep so you're my little, fucker, okay all, Right well it sounds like we both tied for both the little fucker of the.
Speaker 1: CAST i.
Speaker 2: Guess let me put that in, here put it in For.
Speaker 1: Blake m.
Speaker 2: Hm. Yeah it is kind Of the sad part about Little fucker is we can't it really it, really it's just rips us apart at the, end you, know when a time when we might be feeling and so we were were on the same. Page, finally it's just no rip that. Page you know.
Speaker 1: What it panizes people who attend the most as well who book. Most you and, me because we had john opportunities to be little. Fucker and and.
Speaker 2: Let's remember this for the next time there is another person.
Speaker 1: Perhaps an, alliance an unholy elias created In john And sarah after, Dark.
Speaker 2: Like let's just see listen built the. Check next episode will be? Alliance will it?
Speaker 1: STAND i MEAN i could see myself, crumbling like if you do something that really Wants BUT i like this alliance AND i feel, like, well like let's. TRY i feel like we have to be sneaky about it, Too like it can't be like we have an. Alliance it has to be like like. Independently we both realized it was, like no matter what.
Speaker 2: You, say even if it's SOMETHING i wouldn't usually, Support i'll like come up with a reason WHY i support.
Speaker 1: IT i might have. TO i will say, this if you say something that really annoys, ME i may have to kind of comment it on it in the little fucker section and say something LIKE i almost voted For, sarah AND i want you to know on a personal level that that means THAT i am actually voting for you in my. Heart that just the alliance, Science so you hear, that know that you're actually the little. Fucker but for, Optics, OKAY i like. It we'll see how long it. LASTS i like?
Speaker 2: It all? Right? What? Uh? OKAY i guess we should Say, patreon, please uh patron of the mean, arts follow us on our socials and, Also, Johnna i'm just realizing because we recorded out of order or what book are we? Saying is next next?
Speaker 1: Week tune in for The secret Of secrets By Dan. Brown all, right all, right.
Speaker 2: WELL i guess that's. It we'll see you next, time right right right bye bye