Speaker 1: Hi Pathway, Chili listeners, Jewels here. I just wanted to give you a little bit of a life update, and I've been holding off on doing this because the circumstances and situation is so incredibly traumatic. But in the last couple of months, my life blew up and I have a hard time even explaining all the details. It's very complex and it's very nuanced. But my husband took his own life, and the circumstances were not so cut and dry. It wasn't just a mental health episode. There was a lot of deception involved and a big mess was left for me, and so there's a lot of complex emotions attached, and I do have a story to tell about it. It won't be now, it will be later when I have some more perspective, and then I will share more of the details and more of what I've gone through. But I've had to move as a result. My whole life has changed, and we've really done our best to continue to record with Robin and I and Robin has been such an incredible support, and Ashley's been a great support too. She just hasn't been present with us, but we've been in communication and I wanted to let you guys know, because I know a lot of you are wondering where is Ashley as she's not dealing with what I'm dealing with specifically, She's had a lot of deeply personal issues that have happened one after the other. There's no tension with us, there's no discord between us. We as a group of three are We've got this door open for Ashley whenever she wants to come back, whenever things calm down for her. But as it is right now, just expect that it will be Robin and I until everything calms down for Ashley, until her life normalizes and she has the bandwidth to be able to record these episodes. She's got her family to worry about right now and to take care of, and that is priority one, and we support her in everything that she does. So if any of you want to know how you can help or anything you can do. One thing that really raises my spirits is anytime I read any of your nice reviews. I love to hear reviews on the Path Went Chiley, And when you guys talk about what you like about the show, or what you like about the host or anything, that definitely lifts my spirits. So if you're looking for a freeway to support us, that would be fantastic. And we have an episode on Debbie Race coming up, So thank you for listening to my little spiel. And I'm sorry it took so long to share these details with you guys. It's been two and a half months now, but I really needed to get to a place emotionally where I was able to share the information without breaking down. So, without further ado, here is the episode.
Speaker 2: Welcome to our latest series of episodes from the Path Went Chile. So it'll be Jules and I discussing the featured case on our next few episodes, where I share the details and she will give off her live reaction. So, Jules, have you ever heard of the story of Debbie Race.
Speaker 1: I definitely have not heard of this story or this case before because I think I would remember the name, and my aunt's name is Debbie, so I think it would ring a bell.
Speaker 2: Well, this was a final appeal case on Unsolved Mysteries. It's a potential wrongful conviction because the allegations where that Debbie Race was murdered by her husband, Larry Race. But this is one of those cases where it's not who the real killer was, but whether it was actually a murderer at all or nothing more than a tragic accident. It's kind of a lesser known version of the Staircase murder with Kathleen Peterson, because the allegation here is that Larry Race took his wife Debbie out on a boating ride late at night in freezing cold temperatures before the boat developed a leak, and when they found Debbie's body, the official cause of death was hypothermia, and he claimed that they had tried to escape on a life raft but they wound up getting separated before she froze to death. But the authorities would find some holes in his stories to make them think that this was an elaborate murder plot where he deliberately left his wife out there to freeze to death and die of hypothermia. So he wound up getting convicted a murder, but there's been a lot of debate about whether or not this was actually a crime or if he was railroaded because his wife died under tragic circumstances. And another paralleled with the Staircase murder is that Larry Race is not the most likable husband. He's much like Michael Peterson, but there is some debate about even if he was a bad husband, whether he was actually a murderer.
Speaker 1: These are some of my favorite types of cases, the ones where it's like the TV show accidents, suicide or murder, where there's some type of ambiguity, or there's a potential wrongful conviction, or somebody who isn't being looked at who should be looked at, because there's a lot of open ended elements of these cases, and sometimes there's the opportunity to bring justice to a victim or for there to be justice administered in a different type of a scenario where there's somebody behind bars who shouldn't be there for a murder when it was indeed an accident, or somebody else committed the murder. So this is a case that I'm really interested to hear the details about because I was endlessly fascinated by the staircase and all of the details there, and regardless of how I felt about Michael Peterson, there was not a lot of evidence they didn't have the murder weapon, and it seemed like there was a potential for alternate scenarios like the owl theory, where there was those microscopic owl pin feathers found in Kathleen's hand. It was not so cut and dry. So anything where there's a lot of interpretation or a lot of analysis needed are cases that I find to be the most fascinating, And so I'm really interested for you to fill me in on all of this ambiguity and what are the holes that were in his statement that made the authorities think, oh, this could potentially be a murder rather than just a tragic accident.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a spoiler alert, there is no owl theory in this case, so we won't present that scenario. But this is honestly the only case I can think of in which a husband has been accused of murdering his wife by a hypothermia, because obviously there were no signs of foul play on her body to indicate she had been murdered. But can you prove beyond a reasonable doubt that a husband left his wife out on a lake somewhere in freezing cold temperatures to die and think that's strong enough evidence to send an in prison for the rest of his life.
Speaker 1: It's really difficult too, because you're going to basically be tried and convicted on the type of husband that you were right, and you're saying that he's not a very likable guy. He's obviously done things that make authorities side eye him and think that he could potentially have set this whole thing up in order to murder his wife. And so I'm hoping that you get into the details of why they were on the lake in this freezing cold temperature. What was the catalyst or the impetus for this boat ride. Was this something that was typical or is this like an atypical thing that he's just bringing her out on the boat. And so they're going, Okay, well, why today, why now? And why in these really you know, frigid temperatures when if somebody was to go overboard they would be at risk. So yeah, I'm I'm sad for this.
Speaker 2: Cool and you're probably gonna I'm gonna say some things about Larry Race that are going to roll your eyes, So prepare for that.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm prepared.
Speaker 2: So the sakes place on May the eleventh, nineteen eighty two. Larry and Debbie Race were both thirty three years old at the time. They lived in the town of Hoite Lakes, Minnesota. They'd been married for fourteen years and had three daughters, and this particular night happened to be their fourteenth wedding anniversary, so the couple decided to celebrate the evening by driving to Duluth in order to have dinner at the Lakeview Castle, a restaurant which overlooked the north shore of Lake Superior, and the Races had been experiencing some problems before this, as it turned out that Larry's surprise Surprise had issues with infidelity and had conducted extramarial affairs with no fewer than four different women during the course of their marriage, but Larry described this as being a fresh start because it was their fourteenyear anniversary, so they were having a romantic evening together and Larry said that they were going to work things out that particular night. But when he was interviewed on Unsolved Mysteries many years later, he made a very cringe worthy statement where he said, quote, I wanted to stop what I was doing, and I was thinking this was maybe the chance. You know, I have a wonderful woman here. There's nothing wrong with her end quote. And there's nothing wrong with her is obviously the most romantic statement you can make about your deceased wife.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that just tells me that if he was so in love with her, he would have said, I'm madly in love with her. This is the woman that I want to make it work with. The fact that there's nothing wrong with her is telling us a lot with while he's saying very little. And you said it was fourteen years that they were together. Yes, that's a really long time. They're only thirty three. They've been together since they're nineteen years old, so you can imagine that a lot of their youth was spent as a couple together. And I don't know what Larry may or may not have felt like he missed out on. Obviously he felt like he missed out on some stuff because he's out there conducting extramarital affairs. And I think that at thirty three, you're an adult and you should know better, and if you don't want to be in a marriage, then you should leave. You shouldn't continue to cheat on your wife and commit infidelities. The behavior lacks integrity. So I'm beginning to understand why authorities would have looked at Larry and been like, Okay, he's got all of these other women. They've been together for fourteen years. He's saying that there's nothing wrong with her while he's being interviewed on Unsolved Mysteries. Not she was a perfect woman. She was loving, she was caring, she was smart, she was beautiful, she lit up a room. He could have said a myriad of things, none of which he said. So, yeah, it's not really looking great for Larry thus far. But as we know, just because he's a horrible husband doesn't mean we need to indict him for murder. You can be guilty of being a dirt bag while still not being a murderer.
Speaker 2: And this is all just speculation on my part because I don't know much about their children, But I've always wondered, since they got married at the age of nineteen if this might have been because she was already pregnant at that point, and maybe he felt, well, I have to marry her because she's having my even though I'm not ready, and that's why he spent all this time like cheating on or throughout the course of her marriage. And I know a lot of people who watch the Unsolved Mystery segment look at Larry. They don't think he's particularly attractive or charming, so they think, how did this guy manage to find four different women to cheat on through the course of his marriage.
Speaker 1: It's always a shocker, isn't it when you think, like, how somebody who is just completely mid or like so average, how do they manage to ensnare all of these women? And part of me has to believe that the women that are having affairs with him are looking for a guy that is somewhat unavailable, because if you want it to be, it's like a woman who is attracted to a man in prison. And there's some women who have hypristophelia where it's a thing where they're attracted to the violence of the danger. But in some cases, I think when you see like women who are really into church, like we just covered, and in a case right where two different women you are going for the same guy, and it's it's questionable, but you think, like a guy that isn't completely available to them because maybe they aren't ready or willing to give all of themselves in a relationship, and so they choose somebody like Larry knowing that he's not going to commit to them. And maybe that's a subconscious level, Maybe consciously they're saying, yes, leave your wife. But the reality is if he ever actually did. Maybe the women wouldn't know what to do with that because Larry isn't exactly the dream guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. It makes me wonder if a lot of these husbands interviewed on Unsolved Mysteries do have a more charming side when they're off camera, but when they get in front and speak on national television, they just can't help but look like a jerk. After they had their dinner, Larry and Debbie went to the Knife River Marina to take their boat out on the lake for a romantic cruise. Larry was a major boating and diving enthusiasts and he had a twenty two foot cabin cruiser known as the Jenny Lee, and they were going to go out and listen to music and look at the lights from the city in the distance. So now I'm going to tell Larry's events, and I can't vouch that these are one hundred percent true, but I'm going to give you what he said happened. He claimed that around nine pm, when they were about a mile off shore, the boat started to take on water, and when he took off the engine cover, he noticed that there was a leak in the water jacket. As the result of a bolt coming loose, so he decided to turn the engine off and he was able to repair the leak, but the problem was that the engine would not start again, presumably because it had been flooded. So Larry tried to use the bilge pump to remove the water because it was now on the floor, but it made a loud sucking noise, which he claimed made Debbi think that the pump was pulling the floor loose, so she started to panic and become hysterical because she could not actually swim and had a fear of the water, so she pretty much told Larry that she needed to leave the boat immediately because there had actually been an incident the previous summer where Larry had taken the Jenny Lee out on Lake Superior with his two daughters and it struck a reef and actually sank to the bottom of the lake. But on that occasion, Larry he was able to load his two daughters onto a life raft and tow them safely to shore. Because he put on a wetsuit or a dry suit, and because he was a skilled swimmer, he was able to rescue them. So he told Debbie that he was going to do the exact same thing.
Speaker 1: Well, this is interesting. So was this just a complete act of God with the Jenny Lee the first time and he rescued his daughters, And did Larry then get the idea for how he could kill his wife if it was a similar situation. She is like afraid of the water in what is seeming like a parallel to like the Natalie Wood case where she's terrified of drowning. This is another incident that's happening on the boat, and I'm sure after what happened with the daughters, she probably was scared. And I don't know what the temperature would have been like, but I do know that on lakes in May it can be really frigid. It can take intill August for lakes to warm up, and even then they can be really cold to swim in. So even though it sounds like it should be warm because it's May, it makes sense that you could die of hypothermia. Because my birthday is in May, and when I was a kid, I would always go swimming around my birthday in the lake and I remember it just being so cold it would feel like a polar bear did So I'm really interested if he got the idea from this, or if these are just two completely separate events and he had the misfortune of having two accidents with his boat in a pretty small window of time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the authorities would push that theory forward, that the incident with his daughter, that he may have used it as inspiration if he wanted to kill his wife, feeling that well, if I've repaired the boat, if I take her out there again and there's more problems, They're just going to find it believable that the boat sank on its own and had all these problems, and I'll be completely in the clear. But at the same time, it doesn't really say much for his judgment that he would have this incident, this close call with his daughters and then try to take out his wife again in the same boat, even though she could not swim and had more of a fear of water than his daughters did. So it's either way, it's not a situation that makes him look very good.
Speaker 1: This is almost giving me like the freedom to John Paul Farrell, John Paul Russell type of vibes.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, the whole thing where they stage sinking a boat even though they probably just kept the boat hidden somewhere and pretended they drowned. So Larry's story is that he grabbed a life raft and inflated it will Debbie put on a life jacket, and she also placed her purse, valuables and Larry's shoes inside a gear bag, and Larry then put on a dry suit. And in case you they don't know, the key difference between wetsuits and dry suits is that wetsuits will absorb a bit of water, but dry suits will completely shield your body and prevent you from getting any water, which you will definitely need on a lake in the middle of the night in Minnesota in May, so I can understand when he put that on. But because he was a strong swimmer, his plan was to jump in the water and pull Debbie and the raft ashore all on his because the water's temperature was only thirty seven degrees, so they went through with this plan, but Larry told Debbie that when they were far away from the boat that he started developing cramps and he needed to get into the raft with her to have a break. But he said that when he attempted to climb inside the raft, had trouble supporting both of their weights and started taking on waters, so Debby once again panicked and told Larry to remain in the lake. And since he had not brought along any diving gloves, his hands were very cold, so he started rubbing them together for warmth, but that caused him to lose his grip on the raft and it started drifting away from him. But as this was going on, Larry said that he saw what appeared to be some lights in the distance from a boat, so he yelled at Debbie, just stay in the raft and I'm going to swim over to the boat and get help, and then we'll return and pick you up. But Larry said that when he swam back to the lights, he realized that, oh, I was actually looking at my own boat, that Jenny Lee, I was not actually looking at another boat. So I pretty much just wasted a bunch of time and got myself back where I started.
Speaker 1: Okay, So part of this is sounding plausible, part of it sounding slightly implausible. But again, if it was a genuine event where this happened, I could understand where panic would start to hit you. And I know how cold your hands can get in a scenario where they're in cold water, and like the drysuit. Sure that would be really helpful, but it's not going to help your hands. So it's possible that it could have played out the way that Larry's saying. But it's also possible that this could be subterfuge.
Speaker 2: Exactly like I can see someone if they're in a panic situation in the dark, in the freezing cold, that they could see lights and then become disoriented and automatically assume it's a different boat even though it's the same location they were just at. But people are going to react strangely in those type of situations, so I could believe that he might have become confused. But once he made it back to the boat, he sawt oh, I'm going to try the engine again, and sure enough, this time it actually wound up starting. So he claimed that he fired off some flares to a signal debbie that he was going to start searching for. But he said that he went around the lake and could not find the debbie or the raft anywhere after searching for several hours, so he decided to take the boat back to shore and he went to a nearby motel to call for help. So the Coastcard were notified and went out on the Lake Superior. But even though they spent the rest of the night searching for Debbie, they had no luck finding her or the raft, and it would be several more hours. It would not be until four pm on the afternoon of May the twelfth, which was nearly twenty four hours after they originally went on the lake, when a teenage boy wound up finding Debbie's body washed up on shore near London Road, which was about seven miles southwest of the original search area. She was still wearing her life jacket, but they determined that her cause of death was immerged in hypothermia. So on the surface, this obviously doesn't look like a murder because there are no signs of foul play on her body.
Speaker 1: No, but why was she not in the raft?
Speaker 2: Yep, And that's going to be one of the biggest in this story is that this raft was never actually found. So, as you can imagine, they start finding parts of Larry's story to be suspicious.
Speaker 1: Well, that's fair, And like, what kind of raft was this supposed to be? Just like a blow up life raft?
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty much. So at first they thought that Debbie's death was nothing more than a tragic accident, but the authority started noticing some discrepancies in Larry's story, which I'm going to share momentarily. But of course, once they started looking into his background, they discovered that he had purchased a life insurance policy on Debbi seven months earlier, which was worth one hundred and eight thousand dollars. And at the time, Larry was also experiencing financial problems because, like I said, he had a passion for scuba diving and had gone on a bunch of expeditions to search for shipwrecks at the bottom of Lake Superior. But because he never found anything, the hobby was very costly and it wound up putting him into debts. So they started wondering if he might have tried to find a way to kill his wife in order to collect the insurance money in order to pay off his debts. And of course, once they started lurking into his background and found out that he had conducted a bunch of extramarital affairs, that started raising some more red flags, particularly since one of these affairs have been going on up until the very weekend before Debbie's death. So even though Larry had said that he wanted to get a fresh start and put an end to all his infidelity. It obviously didn't look good that his wife found up dead only a few days after he said that he was supposedly ending this affair.
Speaker 1: I mean, if Larry did plan this, at least he had the sense to wait over a few months after buying a life insurance policy. We see far too often when somebody buys one and then like a month later, the person is dead. Seven months isn't a huge chunk of time. And why would he need one hundred and eight thousand dollars life insurance policy in nineteen eighty two, so like, let's just say that would be roughly two hundred and sixteen thousand dollars today. Why would he require on his wife and at the age of thirty three. I know they've got children, and I know that you're going to have expenses, but it seems a little bit excessive. And it also does seem to be in a pretty small window of time. I mean, it could all be by chance, but this affair being right up until the weekend prior to this, then you're factoring in debts as well. It's not really looking good for Larry. And I'm not getting a good gut feeling.
Speaker 2: Well, now I'm going to talk about some of the discrepancies in his story, which made the police extra suspicious because he was such an expert on boating. They thought it was very odd and out of character that he would decide to abandon the boat so quickly and even go into the life raft to begin with, because if there was someone who knew how to fix a boat that was experiencing mechanical problems, it should have been him. So when the police boarded the Jenny Lee and inspected it, they did discover a minor leak in the engine and a few inches of water in the hull, but they found no indication that the boat had been any danger of sinking because the bills pump could have easily pumped out the remaining water. Well, Larry's rationale for that is that, yes, if I had been out on the boat alone, I probably wouldn't have gone into the raft. I would have been able to handle the situation. But he says he was pretty much trying to appease Debbie because she was just going into a major panic and pretty much said, I have to get off this boat right now. Is going to sync, which is why he made the decision to put her in the raft and try to drag her to shore. So you can interpret this in a number of different ways that maybe this sounds kind of convenient that he just overreacted like this, But at the same time, if your wife is having a panic attack, you may do things you ordinarily wouldn't do.
Speaker 1: This is very true. It could go either way, and I think it depends on how you want to interpret it, and it kind of depends on how you're the vibe that you're getting from Larry, right, are you getting a vibe from him that there's a potential that this could have been an accident? And we don't know as much about Debbie as we do about Larry, and more so how Larry reacts in this situation. I don't want to judge it fully yet, but I am seeing a lot of red flags and I'm not judging the behavior that he's saying, like you know, the swimming away from the vessel, if Debbie was indeed having a panic attack. It's more of the fact that we are not finding this life raft after the fact, Like what are the chances that the boat is going to sink? And then what the life raft sinks, or we're to believe that Debbie jumps out of the life draft when she seems to be very scared of the water because she can't swim. It's seeming a little improbable.
Speaker 2: Yes, And we're going to talk about later on how Larry would try to come up with an excuse for why the life raft wasn't found, which would only dig himself a deeper hole and make the authorities more suspicious of him. But I'm going to talk now what I think is one of the most troubling discrepancies, and it's the timeline. Because Larry claimed that he went out on the boat sometime after nine pm and that's when they started having the problems with the water and the sinking, like a short time time later. But the issue is that he did not actually call the coastguard for help until around two thirty am. So Larry tried to explain this large window of time by claiming that after he lost the grip on the raft and swam back to the Jenny Lee and separate from Debbie, he was so exhausted when he climbed on board that he immediately passed out and was out for a couple hours before he woke up, and that's when he restarted the engine and discovered it was working again, and spent some time searching around the lake for Debbie before he made it back to land and made the phone call. But five and a half hours does seem like an awful lot of time, and it just seems weird that he would just happen to pass out the moment he gets back to the boat, and then when he wakes up, the engine would just happen to start working again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not really sounding all that likely, and it's just like another strike against Larry in my opinion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's one of the big things is that he would change his story a lot when speaking to the authorities, because I'm not even sure he gave this story about passing out for all these hours until he was told about the discrepancy and the call to the Coastguard not coming in until two thirty am, five and a half hours after the sinking started. So in his original statement, Larry denied having brought any scuba gear on board the Jenny Lee until a witness came forward and claimed that they had been at the Knife Point Marine ad around seven thirty pm that night, and saw Larry loading a scuba tank onto the boat shortly before he and Debbie went out on the water. So when Larry's confronted about this, he changed his story and said that, oh, yes, I did bring a scuba tank along with them, and it placed it in the life raft with Debbie before they left the boat in case they needed it for an emergency. So his logic is that the scuba gear just disappeared when Debbie fell out of the raft. But of course the raft, the scuba tank, and also the gear bag containing Debbie's purse and Larry's shoes just could not be found, and the coast Guard, even though they performed an extensive search for these items, said that, yeah, an inflatable life raft is very unlikely to sink to the bottom and never be found. So I think if it had been in the area, we would have found it, and we would have found the scuba gear somewhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not really looking very good for Larry that there were to believe that this inflatable life raft just what like disappears. It's not something heavy like metal, where you know, if it's it could sink to the bottom, it's going to be pretty buoyant even if deflated, I would think, and especially when the coast guard is saying that like this is incredibly atypical that this would deflate and then sink to the bottom, it seems to be adding up with Larry. So I'm starting to understand why the authorities were looking at him and going ooh, maybe he did this to Debbie.
Speaker 2: And now I'm going to talk about the weird discrepancy with the life raft, because a raft was found on the Jenny Lee, but the issue was is that it had five cuts and punctures on it. And according to Larry, he always kept two life rafts aboard the boat and had at first attempted to inflate this one, but after noticing there were some holes in it, he decided to inflate the second one, and this was the one that Debbie went into when they went into the water. Larry initially denied that the raft found on the boat had ever been in the lake, but investigators noticed that there were several gallons of water in it, so once again Larry changed his story and now claimed that he had tossed the raft over the side into the lake when he discovered there were holes in it. But then when he swam back to the Genni Lee, he decided to bring it back on board before he passed out. And you're giving off a reaction here like, oh, come.
Speaker 1: On, yeah, no you didn't, Larry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nobody's going to be thinking that if they're going to panicked the situation and say that, oh, my raft, which is completely useless, I'm going to bring that back on board. And the story only opened up another troubling discrepancy because the caps on the raft's air chambers were securely closed, so in order to have inflated the raft, like Larry said, he would have needed to open the air chambers, but they thought it was pretty odd that he would go to the trouble of closing them again before tossing the raft over the side.
Speaker 1: None of this makes sense, like, none of it whatsoever, especially the part where he swims back to the Jenny Lee. He's freezing, his hands are ice cold. He thinks he sees lights, he's swimming towards those lights. He realizes it's the Jenny Lee. I'm back where I started. Oh, there's the LFE raft. Why don't I toss it back in the boat? Like, I don't think that's going to be top of mind or a priority. Larry.
Speaker 2: Yes, so I'm thinking maybe that the wheels are spinning and the pieces of the puzzle are starting to come together here. But that's the exact thing that happened. The authorities because they noticed that the five cuts and punctures on the raft were all located at the bottom and it severed both of the chambers, which made them think that these cuts have been made intentionally while the raft was already fully inflated. And since they could not find this second life raft that Larry said he had anywhere on Lake Superior, they began to formulate a theory that yes, Larry had taken her out on the raft in the middle of Lake Superior, but then went underneath while he was in his scuba gear in order to puncture it, and then Debbie wound up falling into the water and this is why she died of hypothermia. And then, in order to have this cover story, Larry brought the punctured raft back to the boat with them. But they pretty much figured out that this was not an unfortunate series of events a tragic accident. They thought this was an elaborate murder plot. In which Larry arranged things so that his wife would go into the freezing water or die of hypothermia and he could pass it off as an accident.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that I'm starting to side with authorities here, especially when we're looking at the missing raft. We've got missing scuba gear, scuba gear he didn't even talk about. We've got this huge chunk of missing time where he then adds that he was just like passed out. None of this seems to add up. And I'm just not believing for a second that what we've got punctures in the one life raft that we found on the boat on the general le that he supposedly put back in, and then there's a whole other life raft that maybe there's punctures in that too, or were to believe that Debbie vacated the life raft for some reason. I don't buy any of it. It sounds so so suspicious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it's kind of a thing where the authorities are having red flags. But I don't know if they've ever like tried a case like this before where a husband has murdered his wife through a hypothermia, but they thought that they could convince a jury, so in April of nineteen eighty three, they presented the case against Larry to a grand jury and he was formally indicted with first degree murder. So Larry would go on trial in October of that year, and the case was presented by Saint Louis County attorney John DeSanto, And when he was interviewed on Unsolved Mysteries years later, he gave a very famous line where he said, quote, I don't think this story is appropriate for Unsolved Mysteries because this is simply not an unsolved mystery end quote. So I wonder if he would say that about our podcasts, saying this story is not appropriate for the Path with Chili because the path did not go Chili, and quote.
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess you could interpret it like that.
Speaker 2: Yes, I know that John DeSanto. Some Unsolved Mysteries fans don't like him because they think he comes across as arrogantly when he says that. But when you look at like how the trial plays out, he does make a lot of valid points and does present a very convincing case to the jury. So even if Larry was wrongly convicted, you can't really fault DeSanto because I think he legitimately believed that Larry was a murderer and was going to make sure he had a very solid case before he presented it at trial. So the prosecution's theory was that Larry had dreamed up a plot to murder his wife and make her death look like an accident because he wanted to escape an unhappy marriage and cash in on Debbie's life insurance policy in order to pay off his debts. And they would get testimony from two of the women that Larry had conducted affairs with, who said that he often complained about his wife a lot, saying that he would wind that Debbie was overweight, she spent too much money, it was also a bad housekeeper. In fact, shortly before Debbie's death, Larry had actually contacted both of these women and told them that if they were questioned by police, he wanted them to just say that they were nothing more than free and that they hadn't had actual affairs.
Speaker 1: Okay, Larry, like, this isn't gonna fly, So it's just giving me a little bit of like Scott Peterson energy too, where he had the whole affair with Aberfry and tried to downplay it. But here we have multiple affairs, and it's going right up until basically this happens with Debbie. So it doesn't look good for Larry, especially when we're factoring in the debt and the life insurance policy and his ever changing story. I can understand and appreciate how this would be a very difficult case to try, because it's hard to prove that somebody's been murdered through hypothermia. I think it's more looking at his inconsistent story and all of these different variables or stressors in his life that could push him towards murdering his wife. I mean, love and money. We've got both motivators here. And then when we also look at the way that he talked about Debbie and that unsolved mysteries inter saying there's nothing wrong with her, that tells us a lot. He's not telling us what's right with her. He's just saying there's like nothing wrong with her. It's like saying, oh, you know, like there's nothing wrong with Brussels sprouts. I just like don't like them. You know, it's not something that you're when you're speaking warmly about something or someone, you don't say there's nothing wrong with it.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean, I have seen other suspected husbands who have at least put forward the facade about how much they loved that they're missing a murdered wife, and even if you don't believe them, at least they're trying and saying glowing things. Whereas Larry's like, well, she was okay, there was nothing wrong with her. But even though a lot of these mistresses of his testified that he constantly complained about all the things that were wrong with her. So one of the things that Larry's defenders bringing up is that this would have been an incredibly difficult murder plot to pull off, because swimming out in that freezing cold water in the middle of the night to try to murder your wife is a huge risk where he could have very well wound up of hypothermia himself. But the thing that was unique about Larry is that he was incredibly passionate about scuba diving, and he dove in Lake Superior an average of forty times per year. So the prosecution argued that this hobby would have allowed him to acquire quite a bit of knowledge of immersion hypothermia and try to dream up a way to kill his wife in such a fashion without causing any harm to himself. So the theory that was presented at trial is that Larry took Debbie out onto the lake and tricked her into getting in the life raft by telling her that the boat was sinking, even though there was nothing really seriously wrong with it, but he could push forward this scenario that I'm going to drag the raft to shore with you in it, because he had done the exact same thing with his daughters when the boat legitimately had trouble the previous summer. So Larry then put on his scuba gear, which he claimed he never brought initially, and then dragged Debbie and the raft a great distance away from the Jenny Lee before he decided to swim underwater and slash the bottom wad the knife, severing the air chambers and as a result, the raft wound up the plating and Debbie was in the freezing water, where she eventually succumbed to hypothermia. So Larry then dragged this to flate a raft back to the Jenny Lee and concocted a fake story to feed you to the authorities, and then he went back to shore and called for help, and while this was going on, Larry was wearing a dry suit, which would have allowed him to swim in this thirty seven degree water for an extended period of time without developing hypothermia. So it seems like a clever murder plot that you would find in a work of fiction. But the problem is is that Larry didn't account for everything, and that's why all these holes started emerging in his story.
Speaker 1: I think it is a really clever plot because it's hard to prove. But like you said, Larry didn't plan everything to the last detail. His knowledge of forensic countermeasures in nineteen eighty two wasn't what it would be for somebody today. You can imagine somebody today trying to do this and like engaging the help of chat, GPT or like yeah, or you know, scouring the insuranet, scouring the dark web, reading any type of forensic textbook. What people have access to today versus nineteen eighty two is astounding. So is it because Larry is just a horrible criminal or he isn't that intelligent. I think it's lack of access to information and maybe not anticipating the way that the investigation would be conducted and the types of questions that would be asked, and I think he addressed most of the things that he thought would be brought up, but he didn't do that great of a job in explaining, and he just assumed that they would take his word for it. But I also don't think that he thought, maybe they're going to dig up all this information about the affairs and the debt and the life insurance, and they're going to have more questions for me, so I better have this like airtight alibi slash story. And I think that's where he fumbled. He really didn't get his ducks in a row with his story. Because of that, he ended up having to evolve and change his story. And that is one thing you learn in statement analysis about the truth is the truth doesn't change. You can ask that same question a myriad of different ways. You can ask it ten different ways, and the answer will remain the same. The person might say it slightly differently, but if you actually look at what they're saying, it doesn't evolve and it doesn't change. We're looking at deception here with Larry's ever evolving story, and I do not think that we can chalk it up to trauma. I personally think that he got that inspiration from the boat sinking where he rescued his daughters the first time, and was like, this is going to be a good strategy. I'm going to employ this and I'm going to murder my wife.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is the problem here is he probably just assumed that it would be written off as an accident and he'd only have to tell the story once and that would be it, because no one would be opening a bahamicide investigation. But once the once they opened up these discrepancies, that's when he had to change a story in order to account for them. And of course they put a lot of the emphasis on this raft that was found on the Jenny Lee with all the puncture marks in it, because obviously he can't say that this was the raft that Debbie used when she went out on the lake, because how you explain where the cuts came from. That about brings an into part one of our series about the death of Debbie Race. Join us again next week for part two.
Speaker 3: Robin, do you want to tell us a little bit about the Trail Went Cold Patreon?
Speaker 2: Yes, the Trail Cold Patreon has been around for three years now, and we offer these standard bonus features like early ad free episodes, and I also send out stickers and sign thank you cards to anyone who signs up with us on Patreon if you join our five dollars tier Tier two, we also offer monthly bonus episodes in which I talk about cases which are not featured on the Trail Went Cold's original feed, so they're exclusive to Patreon and if you join our highest tier tier three, the ten dollars tier. One of the features we offer is a audio commentary track over classic episodes of Unsolved Mysteries, where you can download an audio file and then boot up the original Unsolved Mysteries episode on Amazon Prime or YouTube and play it with my audio commentary playing in the background, where I just provide trivia and factoids about the cases featured in this episode. And incidentally, the very first episode that I did a commentary track over was the episode featuring this case. So if you want to download a commentary track in which I make more smart ass remarks about Jewel Kaylor, then be sure to join Tier three.
Speaker 3: So I want to let you know a little bit about the Jules and Nashty patreons. So there's early ad free episodes of the Path Went chili. We've got our Path Went Chili mini's, which are always over an hour, so they're not very many, but they're just too short to turn into a series, and we're really enjoying doing those, so we hope you'll check out those patreons. We'll link them in the show notes.
Speaker 2: So I want to thank you all for listening, and any chance you have to share us on social media with a friend or to rate and review is greatly appreciate it. You can email us at the Pathwentchili at gmail dot com. You can reach us on Twitter at the Pathwin. So until next time, be sure to bundle up because cold trails and chili pass call for warm clothing.
Speaker 1: Music by Paul Rich from the podcast Cold Callers Comedy