Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: That's right, Coffee and Company our number two here on a Friday afternoon. Thank you for hanging out with us, and thank you to our friends at Thornton's. We are fueled by Thornton's here with Coffee and Company. Make sure you sign up if you haven't yet, to become a member of their Refreshment Awards program. You're gonna save money at the gas pump. Your life will be better. I can't guarantee you that, but I can tell you that my life's better. I can't imagine life without being fueled by Thornton's and without being a member of the Refreshment Awards program. So big thanks to them, and also big thanks to you guys for hanging out with us.
Speaker 3: And if you want to take us with you wherever you go the rest of the way, you.
Speaker 2: Can do it live on the Auheart Radio app also at seven ninety, Louisville dot com and Louisville. In action to Morgan's pitt, we talked a little bit about just the stripeout. So again, if you were unaware and there's probably plenty of people who you know, just get caught up and you know, being busy with life. Then maybe they aren't aware of this, but tomorrow they're doing a stripeout. So if you were going to the game and your section is an even number, you wear red. If your section is an odd number, were you are supposed to wear black? I mean, they're probably not going to kick you out, but they should. I'm kidding, but there are people who get really bothered if and I get it, like it's I would imagine that the majority of the people and this would be good for like vibe checks if I was still doing that to ask people which really those those couldn't come at a worse time, right, Like when I did that Austin, that was the worst Louis of basketball has ever been. Yeah, I mean that was during a four win season. So anyways, if you were somebody that shows up to a white out and you're wearing black or red and people like ask you, like, come on, you had one job?
Speaker 4: Do you think?
Speaker 2: It's people who truly didn't know and they just you know, like they weren't they aren't plugged in to like they just don't pay attention. I guess to like the promotions going on. They don't listen to sports radio, they don't follow it online, Like maybe they're just so plugged in with life that they just, you know, like the games are an escape to them, and it's they show up and you know, you could be.
Speaker 3: Without three players. They didn't know about it, but I was.
Speaker 2: I'm assuming it's mostly that, but there may be people who just decide like, yeah, I'm not wearing that. But I feel like if you asked a fan, like, what are you doing? Why didn't you wear this color? Most of them would just make it up and say I didn't know, but I mean tomorrow. It's it's different than the white out red out, like there's a little bit more wor it's I don't know. I guess the only added work is just knowing which one you are, which I feel like is a pretty easy thing to do. And I actually will give whoever decided to do this a little bit credit because there's not a lot of white Louisville gear, like I have some, but I would say ninety percent of Louisville gear.
Speaker 3: That I have is red. I would say.
Speaker 2: Eight percent of it is black, and then I've got like two white things. I've got a white sweater. I have some white shorts, but those don't really count. I don't think I have any Louisville white T shirts or white white I don't. Yeah, I think I'm just mostly red. Yeah, it's not that I couldn't go find it, But like I feel like when we would do a white out, like it's you know, it's clearly a real visible thing, right, like white out. I think white out is done because it really stands out in the crowd and of course on television more than red or black wood. But you know, there's not a ton of white gear out there. So this actually, I think this has a chance to be super successful because I'd say the majority of the people going to the game will not have to go buy something, you know what I mean, Like, do you want any white for Louisville.
Speaker 3: I mean I feel like.
Speaker 5: I wore that National Championship hoodie and okay, yeah was white. But yeah, you're right, it's very very sparse, i'd say, with white gear. And the only thing I can think about is just like maybe well, because white's not any color that's going on. I feel like in the basketball season, you're talking about the winter color warmer colors, you know, like the red and the black. You might see some like around like the Football Times, and I guess that's where you can really take advantage of it. But it seems like the athletics department stays true with the more or less the red or black theme.
Speaker 2: Yeah, red or black is much easier, and it really isn't. I mean again, like this, the more I think about it, it's all you have to do is just look at your ticket and then you should know what to wear. I would say maybe there are some that just only have red, but you could find something black. And to be fair, they did give a lot of notice. I think over a week now they've been promoting this. So hopefully it's hopefully it's a good look and hopefully the team looks good. We'll get back into that matchup a little bit later on. As far as just this pit team that I don't want to give you the will they scare me.
Speaker 3: It's a trap game.
Speaker 2: I'm worried, but I just know that they have good players that can give anybody trouble if they play well. And the big issue for Pitt with Cable, in my opinion, in recent years has just been inconsistency. And with that, you know, they haven't been good when they needed to, right, they'll play well, look good, and then they've also lost a lot of close games they should have won this year. That's really been their biggest problem with this current team. But with their inconsistency, you know, maybe you get the good version of them to where you know, they went on the road and beat Ohio State this year. You know, I'd look at their numbers now and look, they're not good. I mean, they don't have it.
Speaker 3: Like there's nothing.
Speaker 2: About Pittsburgh as far as their resume in any specific win that like validates what I'm saying as far as they have good players and they can beat you, because they haven't done that this year. I mean they just haven't. But I just you know, I know when it comes to and look, when they played Louisville at pitt that was a good game. I mean, rain Smith really chucky, had a big bucket late and then rain Smith just kind of took over and had like eight of Louisville's last ten points. And that was awesome to be there just to kind of that was a really cool moment that I go back to when I think of this season, enough fun of a ride. It was one of just a great trip with my family, taking my son, my dad, and my nephew and going on the road and watching Louisville play that alone was awesome. Even if they would have lost, it would have been great memories for us to have. But they won, and it was just it was not only was it the first time this has happened in a long time. I really don't know if this has happened to me a whole lot ever as a Louisville fan, even when louis was really good. But you were at their place, you were the road team, and you it was close. It was neck and neck. They knew that if they beat you, it would be looked at it as a good win for them because Louisville hauld just beat Clemson.
Speaker 3: And you know, it's a good matchup.
Speaker 2: And sure enough, like Louisville just made winning plays late and we got to see a sad fan base just kind of like, damn, they got us. And it wasn't like, you know, we were we were enjoying their tears or anything like that, but you know, it was just nice to see a stadium leave like, damn, Louisville got us like they're good Man and Louisville honestly, I mean they missed a ton of free throws in that game, missed a bunch of layups early, but made tough winning plays and got it done. But but lo their sophomore guard, he's I mean, he's special, and I mean it like I know it's hard to say that with a team that's not in any way special, They're not very good, but like, he's a really talented guy. Leg It's been there a long time. He's he's had some big games in his career.
Speaker 4: Who's the guy?
Speaker 2: Who is? They still love the guy with two first names, Frederico Frederico. I don't know if he's still there or not, But anyways, they this pit team. They're currently projected to loose to Lotilever tomorrow by nine, which tells me the spread will probably be like I think it'll be.
Speaker 3: Louisville minus eight and a half. That's my guess.
Speaker 2: You have any guess is Austin as far as what the spread is gonna be, because it'll probably come up for the show start, for the show ends. I'm guessing Louisville minus eight and a half.
Speaker 4: I kind of love that number too. I'm gonna love anything over eight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I And look I said at the beginning of the show, and I'll when I talk about Pitts sort of being a team that that, you know, I feel like if you don't come ready to play, they can get you. I'm not saying that because of what happened on Tuesday. I mean clearly that that is something that I'm I'm you know, I'm looking at tomorrow as an opportunity to see that they don't sort of have that same luggish look and make a lot of uncharacteristic mistakes that I believe was due to just being winded and just being gassed. I mean, visually watching Louisville play, even when they were making the necessary place to get out of there and survive with a win, you could just tell they were they were running on e And I'm hopeful that that is not a thing that has just developed because they're worn out because of what this season has been. Hopefully it's just they were sick and they are still they still had some lingering effects and hopefully that's now in the past. All Right.
Speaker 3: Kentucky tomorrow against Auburn. Huge game for college basketball.
Speaker 2: I mean, Rupp Arena, You've got a Kentucky team that you know right now is not in the top five, top ten, but certainly when healthy, they've beat some of those teams that are in the top five, top ten, and they're healthy, at least they were the other night.
Speaker 3: I know Kirk Crease has been out.
Speaker 2: With with an injury all year, so I guess technically it's not safe to say that they've they've been full they were fully healthy because he hasn't played in a long time. But I think, you know, everybody but him, that's sort of like what this I mean that that's this team.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's that's that's really what their outlook was for a long time.
Speaker 2: Like Butler and Robinson didn't really start dealing with injuries until a little bit later on in the season. So both those guys played on Tuesday at Oklaho IM sorry, Wednesday at Oklahoma Robinson.
Speaker 3: I mean, I didn't watch the entire game. I did see the very end. Obviously, it was a great at a great.
Speaker 2: Win for them as far as how they got it done, they survived, and Oklahoma, you know, looked like they were gonna pull out, and sure enough, I'll take away was unstoppable. So you've got let's see Robinson. I'm trying to pull up his numbers because I don't really know, and I know he played and hit some threes early, but I don't remember what his numbers were. But Lament Butler filed out did play twenty minutes here it looks like and you know, it wasn't super effective, but probably just shaking off some russ did make five free throws, and really his presence is defensively, I mean, that's really where he is.
Speaker 3: It was missed more than anything.
Speaker 2: And then with Robinson, he played seven I'm sorry, you only played twelve minutes. Okay, so I must have only saw the beginning of the game. I guess he on Yeah, is that right? Robinson only played twelve minutes. I saw him at the beginning of the game.
Speaker 3: I thought he may. I guess one of his shots that I saw was the two.
Speaker 2: But I did see him make a three and he had I think father is seven points seemingly the very beginning of the game. And I guess he didn't do a whole lot after that. Now, what I didn't see is did he get injured against And I feel like I should know this, did he get injured against Oklahoma again to where they pulled him out and like he couldn't go because Ryan Lemon reported earlier that Robinson did not go through whatever it is they do the day before game, whether that's a full practice, a walk through shoot around, whatever, So I guess that's not a great sign.
Speaker 3: And with Butler, you know he.
Speaker 2: Was able to go, he just filed out. But again, Auburn, I mean, this is a team that is in fact one of the best team. I mean, they are the best team I know. I know Duke has been really really impressive lately, and Duke is one of the two teams that has a victory over Auburn.
Speaker 3: But I still feel like.
Speaker 2: On a neutral corp, if neutral corp, if everybody's playing their best, I still like Auburn is, in my opinion, who I think is the best team in college basketball. But they're not on a neutral court tomorrow. They're gonna be at Repperena and you know that place is gonna be packed. It's a one o'clock tip and even if Kentucky is short handed, like this is the kind of game they could, they could have some magic.
Speaker 3: And uh and win. I mean, it won't be it won't be easy, even.
Speaker 2: If they're at full strength, because again Auburn is great, But like, this is the kind of game that no matter who you are, meaning Auburn, Duke Kansas and their problem, Like, no matter when Kentucky has a team that you know has proven to be good enough to beat anybody and has put themselves in a position where they're looking like.
Speaker 3: A three seed maybe at worse.
Speaker 2: Right now, that's when you go into Reperena and you know, no matter who you are, no matter how good you are, like, it's gonna be a tough game for you to win. So I feel like I'm about to say something really stupid, which I'm sure I've already said many stupid things today. But like, even if they're not like even if Butler can't go and Robinson doesn't play, I mean, with rupp Arena on their side, if they can get Auburn a little frazzled, like maybe this is maybe this is a game they win even if they're not healthy. I don't know, I I t trust me.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be pulling for Auburn tomorrow.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm not gonna be like on the edge of my seat like saying war Eagle whatever it is Auburn says. But like, I just have a weird feeling that Kentucky's gonna win this game tomorrow regardless of who plays.
Speaker 5: It seems like usually uh like that seems like Kentucky spot right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: It really does.
Speaker 2: And look, I know that that Robinson and Butler are good, and I know that they've been talked about a lot this year because of the injuries and what life may look like for Kentucky, you know.
Speaker 3: Without those guys. So I feel like that's the.
Speaker 2: Biggest reason as to why they seem like if you're just listening listening to Kentucky fans talk about their team, you're listening to the noise about Kentucky and this this Mark Pope team. I feel like you hear more about those guys than anybody. And again, I guess it's because of one they're good, but also like the uncertainty about their health. But what I think is kind of like crazy is that those two guys aren't even close to being their best players. They're not like the two best. Like, again, I know you want a guy that's that's injured who can't help you and as good, Like clearly it's really crucial to have those guys back, and it can really make you better. Your ceiling is a lot higher with everybody healthy. But let's be real, this Kentucky team, their biggest nightmare scenario would be losing Otega away. He has been their best player all year, and I don't feel like anybody talks about that. He has been myster consistent all year, Like he has been phenomenal for them, and nobody's saying he's bad. Nobody's saying like he's a bomb, he's overrated, but like it's not a conversation. He's their best player and it's not close. He's also their best pro prospect.
Speaker 3: I think, I don't know how.
Speaker 2: I don't think he's gonna pro this year, but like, in fact, they don't really have anybody I think on that team that's gonna be drafted.
Speaker 3: But like he's really really good.
Speaker 2: And against Bama that was the first time he did not have double figures all year, and he only had two points, and they found him out early, Like clearly they took him away and that was his off night. But I mean against Oklahoma twenty eight against Vandy, twenty Texas twenty, I mean, twenty four against Ole Miss, eighteen against Western cons I mean, like I'm just going down the list here, Like this guy has been consistent as can be, and that's really I think what separates guys like him, Like, he's not a domin dozen, there's not all. I mean, he's a really good player. Anybody would be lucky to have a guy like him. A lot of good teams don't have a guy as good as him, I believe that. But what wakes him to me special is that he's consistent. I mean he until that Alabama game, he was one of I think five players in college basketball that had scored in double figures in at least every single game. So again, nobody's bashing him, But I just think there's so much conversation about Robinson and Jackson, who are good and again, their status as far as injuries is certainly something you got to monitor.
Speaker 3: You got it, and it's gonna be talked about.
Speaker 2: But Oways is a bigger piece that, like you know, and honestly, when he's playing well, like those guys aren't missed that much. Again, Robinson is because he can just ad times go off and have twenty and a half, but he can also have two and a half. And then Butler good player all around. Like what he did in louisville'll never do anybody else. I'm sure that was just his night. But he's a defensive presence that they really don't have anywhere else. But Oway is the guy for this team. And you know who else is another guy that I think is you know, I would say he's even.
Speaker 3: More important than.
Speaker 2: Robinson and Butler as well, and that's their big fellow, Amari Williams. I mean, they've had to really lean on him more so without Butler and Robinson, and he's been sensational this year. I mean he's had some nights where he doesn't get you double figures, but when he doesn't get you double figures, he's a guy who's can get you six assists. I mean he had ten assists a triple double against Ole Miss. Clearly he's effective on the backboard. So you know, there's been a lot of talk about Kentucky's injuries, and I get it, but.
Speaker 3: Similarly to Louisville, whenever.
Speaker 2: Cason Robinson not Cason Robinson, that's not his name Cason Pryor he got hurt, it was clearly an issue like that was somebody that I'll put it this way, the way Robinson is just a guy that gives you something for Kentucky defensively that none of their other guards can. Cason is that for Louisville, where he's just an athletic guy that is versatile, that can play above the rim, and like he's just.
Speaker 3: A weapon to have.
Speaker 2: But the day he got hurt, I was sad, and I clearly, like everybody else, started to think, Okay, the ceiling is not as high now without him. But it wasn't like we lost Chucky, right, I mean, Chucky's the most important piece, and you know Korn Johnson clearly he's missed and we really don't know what we're missing with him, right because he didn't.
Speaker 3: Play much at all. But if you think about it, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, rain Smith would have been a bigger guy to lose than him, because Rayan Smith, I mean any moment he can hit none threes in a game.
Speaker 3: So I'm and it sounds weird.
Speaker 2: It's weird doing the whole like, well, you know, we hope those you know, nobody want you want everybody to be at full strength. You don't want anybody to get hurt. But when it comes to like worst case scenario, as far as guys you're losing to injury, I remember thinking Louisville fans didn't. I mean again, like clearly, Cason Pryor is a guy you would have been better if you had him.
Speaker 3: Same thing with Koran.
Speaker 2: But as far as guys that dramatically change everything about who you are, I don't think Cayson was a guy that really made Louisville have to completely reinvent themselves. Same thing with Kentucky. I mean Kobe Brea wouldn't given more minutes, Yeah he can. He can have Knights where he's just you know, kind of out there, but also when given more opportunity because Robinson and Butler can't play, he's had nights where he's been a big factor for them in a big way, meaning like a positive way. So you know, I still think Kentucky with full at full strength, it's gonna be tough for them to beat Auburn. But like again, I don't I can't give you any reason. It's not like I'm down on Auburn. I think they're great, and I think Kentucky. You know, like like a lot of teams, they could beat anybody when they're playing well, but they could also mess around and you know, be vulnerable and lose to teams that aren't great. But I just have a feeling that tomorrow is like that game at Reparena that they they win, game Day is not going to be there, right, I don't know, No, I think they chose a different game and it's got and it's got the big Blue bozos all worked up. They feel like game Day is anti Kentucky.
Speaker 4: For some Texas. A and M tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's I'll be honestly, that's a lame decision. They should have been an Auburn Kentucky. Absolutely, don't you agree, Like, yeah, it's well text AY and M is ranked right, Yeah, but they're falling off, dude, Like I couldn't. I couldn't have predicted it better.
Speaker 3: Last week.
Speaker 2: A and M was the team I singled out. And again I rarely get to be and I told you so, guy, So let me be in. I told you so, guy.
Speaker 3: They are good.
Speaker 2: Like, there's not many teams in the ACC that I can literally with a straight face tell you is not good. I mean South Carolina's not good, LSU's not good. I don't think Texas is very good. Georgia not great, but they've got some decent wins. Oklahoma I don't think is good now, but they beat Louisville, So you know, what's that say? So the league is loaded, but there's certain teams that were benefiting from being in the loaded league that were good, but they hadn't actually gone out there and beat anybody worth talking about in their own league. And again here I am talking to both sides of my mouth, because beating a lot of teams in this league, I guess is worth talking about because they're good wins because the league is that loaded. But A and M was the team that was sitting like in they were top five at one point, I think they were top five.
Speaker 3: So they remember they were two seed in the early bracket.
Speaker 2: Look that we got and they you know, they've now lost three in a row. They lost in Mississippi State, who, by the way, is not a good team compared to the rest of the SEC. They'll get in the tournament, but they're not top half of the league. They lost to Tennessee, which there's no shame in that. And then they lost at home to Vandy, who you know needed that win to feel safely in the tournament. And you know, when they were winning a bunch of games in SEC play, really.
Speaker 3: Bumping up their net and all that.
Speaker 2: Again there's value there, but like they were beating Georgia, Arkansas, South Carolina, Oklahoma, Ole, miss LSU, Oklahoma a second time Texas, like they somehow managed to have a very very very manageable schedule in the SEC until now, and again they just lost to two teams they shouldn't have lost too, And that's what's crazy. Like Buzz Williams, there's a good chance they end up finishing. I would say that they finish ten and they got three games left. I think they finish ten and eight, which isn't terrible, but they have lost three in a row. I mentioned Mississippi State.
Speaker 3: And Vandy has two of those losses.
Speaker 2: And now their next two games they got to go to Gainesville and play Florida and then on Tuesday they host Auburn. So I mean they'll still get a good seed and look, they may go deep in the turn, but like I'm willing to acknowledge, Yeah, the top of the SEC, it's stupid good Auburn, Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, Kentucky. I think those are the teams that I would say legitimately are Final four caliber. Now again, you can make a Final four and not look like Final four caliber because you know, it's happened, there's been runs that take place that really nobody expects. But those are the to me, that's the elite of the SEC. And the second tier still really good, but I don't think they're in the top.
Speaker 3: I don't think.
Speaker 2: I think there's a gap between that tier I just mentioned and then the likes of Missouri A and m Ole miss and then honestly after that, I think there's a big drop off.
Speaker 3: I think I think Mississippi State Vandy.
Speaker 2: Are kind of in, Arkansas are kind of you know, by themselves, and then really you've got South Carolina and LSU, who stink. And then there's another tier that is Oklahoma, Texas and Georgia, which are the bubble teams, and I guess Arkansas as well.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I I mean, let me see who's the lost.
Speaker 2: I'm Auburn lost the game they lost to Florida, and currently the projected score according to Kim Palm for tomorrow is eighty six eighty one a win for Auburn, which again I hope that happens, but wouldn't be shocked.
Speaker 5: I can see it be in like a six point opening. Is the the lines out right now?
Speaker 2: I haven't seen it yet, but I would be willing to bet they'll be out in the five o'clock hour. Yeah, we're going eight and a half Louisville, right, Yes, you want to say six and a half, five and a half, i' mnsa say six. We'll see how good we are a capin all right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side.
Speaker 3: Keep this party going along. It's Coffee and Company on a Friday.
Speaker 2: Feeling Good on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: In company with Nick Coffee on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have a shorter segment here than usual, just because we are going to make some time for the one and only doctor Eric McElroy from pro Rea Physical Therapy. We will bring him in here in our next segment. But this is uh, this is something that came in on the text line earlier. Say, Nick, I saw you shot nut Chris Mack last night forgetting three hundred wins. Do you think there's any chance he tries to leave Charleston after just one year, I don't think so.
Speaker 4: But I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I know he's his family's loving Charleston. And I've never been to Charleston, but I've heard it's like one of the most beautiful places ever and like it's got such a cool vibe to it that I mean, it's not huge as far as like the you know, the size of it, but I feel to me it seems like it would be really crowded because it sounds like there's a lot of people that have like relocated there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's booming. I've heard the Carolinas are acts absolutely a great place to be, and I've never been either to either of the Carolina's, honestlye.
Speaker 2: So so in I remember in South Carolina, I drove I drove to Hilton Head years ago, and I remember, you know, the drive was long, and I just remember thinking, like, this is a really beautiful part of the country that I've not really been to, and I haven't been back there since. But North Carolina. I've been to Charlotte a bunch because of the acc events, and I think I talked about this when I went for the for the for the basketball media days. The city of Charlotte is booming, like it's one of them. It's one of the most popular places for people to relocate to right now, and I never doubted that, but this past time when I went, was the first time I was there and actually got around to see the city, and I totally get it. It's clean, it's perfect size, it's not it's big enough to where you feel like you're in a big city, but it's also not overwhelming, really good with with with jobs. The economy is good, so like it's it's Yeah, the Carolinas are are phenomenal, but yeah, with Mac, you know his daughter, I think his daughters are going to be playing for Charleston's volleyball program. I know he likes it there. It seems like Christie's real content. So Braden's getting older to where he's he's in school, and you know, I think they love it there. But you know, I know Matt got off to a good start this year and sure enough, I mean I've been keeping up with him more than most just because you know, I want to see coach mac dowell andalked him a little bit last night. Told him congrats on the three hundred wins, and you know, he's I think he's content, But if an opportunity came, I wouldn't be shocked if he pursued it, because I do think, you know, Max personality, like he's an introvert and he's not he's not you know, put it this way. I think he's I mean again, I'm friends with him. I think the world of him. I think he's a good coach. But I get why people who didn't really you know, weren't around him a lot kind of felt like he had like a prickly vibe, if that makes sense. And it's not because he's a jerk. It's just because like that's just, you know, he's an introvert, Like he's not mister Social. He's not Pat Kelsey as far as just you know, like talking and owning a room. But he's a really genuinely down to earth, relatable guy. I mean, Austin, he came out and did a show with us at the Bambi Bar a couple of years ago.
Speaker 3: I mean, he was just one of the boys.
Speaker 2: Like it wasn't like you you know, having a beer with Chris Matt you can you can tell he's literally like, you know, he's very tall, and he's you know, he's somebody people who recognize, but you know, he kind of just blends in. Like he to me was a little too normal for this job in a way. And I say that as a compliment to him as a human being. But Zennie roosters too. Yeah. I mean, he's he's he's content, I would imagine. But I also get the sense when I was talking to him a little bit here and there during you know, sort of the process of him, you know, getting back in and wanting to be a coach again, and you know the year off for two years off essentially really made him, you know, realize that he does he does want to finish strong and not have the last part of his coaching career be what happened at Louisville. And he's clearly done that now because he's again he's he's having success at Charleston there. I think they're in second place in their league right now, but they're you know, overall twenty two and eight, twelve and five in their conference, and it would be no shock to anybody if they win the CIA Conference and get get a ticket to the dance.
Speaker 3: So what I don't know is, you know, and I don't think.
Speaker 2: I'm talking, I don't think I'm sharing something that like is like a super secret or anything. But the Vandy job was his by all accounts, and from what I understand, Vandy's AD didn't even realize it. But the school itself was also using an external search committee because they didn't trust the AD to make the right hire because the AD that made that you know that is there now currently also is the one who gave Jerry Stackhouse an insane extension that made no sense that cost to school a lot of money. So maybe this isn't exactly how it played out, but I'm under the impression that she didn't realize that she wasn't actually going to be making the full decision like they were kind of going by. They were also doing their due diligence without her involved and kind of going I guess compare searches, and they ended up going with who the committee went with, which was Byington, who was the coach at James Madison last year, coach Terrence Edwards. So to be out there like that, and when you're out when you're in that position and you are a guy that has a good resume. I mean, look, I'm not just trying to kiss his ass. Chris Mack, you know, was a really good coach when we hired him, and he was a good coach until the last two years when it all fell apart. So you know, I mean, you don't have to think he was good.
Speaker 3: Enough to be here. He chose to leave, that's fine.
Speaker 2: But like I think there's a lot of jobs that are going to open up that I think would be would would look at his resume and think like, this guy's this guy's good. We should get this guy, like he's proven to be really good now maybe keep people from doing that would potentially be that it's a new world now. But you know, I think at Charleston this year, he's built a team basically almost from scratch and he's had success. And you know, I think him getting back in at the time when it became all about nil on the portal, like, he doesn't get back into coaching if he's against that, because he knows that's part of it. So I know, also during the search, whenever Ohio State was looking for a new guy, a new coach, they ended up going they were turned down by Dusty May. They ended up going with the Diebler who was former player and assistant who's there now, and Mack had two interviews that went really well to where like he was. I don't think they were going to hire him, but you know, I think he ended up doing really well in those interview that you know, he's put it this way, he's not his own cheerleader, And I've told him this, like, you probably need somebody to kind of advocate for you more than you are, because like in this ever changing landscape of college sports, when you're not coaching, people just forget about you. So I think if he goes to the tournament, that'll get a little bit more of him on the radar. What I don't know is put it this way. I feel like if he did get an opportunity to go to like a Florida State or maybe a Wake Forest or something, I think he would go because I just think he's competitive, he's hungry, he wants to get back to making runs in the tournament. This is a guy that you know, he's got four trips to the second week in one Elite eight. I mean, he's he's a guy that really you knew him at Xavier, because Xavier was good and he was having success, but you really remembered him because what do you know, Xavier's in the second weekend Again, what do you know, Xavier just beat Arizona, who's a one seed, and now they're in the Elite eight. So I don't want to speak for him. I think there's a chance he's really content where he is, because I know he likes it there. But also he's a competitor, and I think if he did get a chance to get get back in at a higher level, he'd have a hard time saying no.
Speaker 3: So you know, we'll see.
Speaker 2: But you know, his name is not really out there for any of the jobs that are open, and you know that doesn't mean that he won't get a job. But like, look, the only jobs that we know that are open right now are Virginia, Florida State in Miami, and I don't think any of those schools, you know, I just don't see them going in that direction. And honestly, I don't think he would take a couple of those jobs. All right, let's see LOUIVI Men's clinic. Fellas hear me out. If you're somebody that you know you're getting up there in age, not fifties, sixties, but you know, maybe just realizing you're no longer part of the younger generation, right, you're in that you're a tweener. I feel like that's what I am. I'm not young, but I'm certainly not old. I'm thirty six, I'd say.
Speaker 4: I'm saying that, so you're not that old.
Speaker 2: I know I'm not that old, but I'm also not that young, right, Like I'm in between, Like, I don't not.
Speaker 5: Look thirty six. That's the crazy thing. You've looked forever.
Speaker 4: Young and this just.
Speaker 5: Like it's'll take it. Your jeans are just fantastic. I'm admiring it from afar. I appreciate that. Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: I I don't think I'm being the guy that's like, man, I'm getting old, I'm getting gray hair. But again, I'm also not like if I went and hung out with like twenty three twenty four year old people straight out of college, like I'd be the old guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I went to Starbucks before.
Speaker 2: I've never In fact, you and I talked about that yesterday, like that that really did surprise you, didn't you?
Speaker 4: Yes, absolutely, I'm shot.
Speaker 5: I feel like everybody has at least step foot in a Starbucks once all the airport trips you've taken, and.
Speaker 2: I mean I've been, I've been like in places where they are, but I've never like been to one like went there, and I've never ordered ordered, right, yeah, right, it's just my not my thing. But yeah, anyways, fellas if you are, because again I know I'm not old. I feel at times like I'm still somebody that is a young man, even if that's maybe a little bit a little bit of a stretch. And I try to be active and not feel old, and like you know, I try to take care of myself as best I can. But in real years, really pre twenty twenty four, I started to just feel like that was more difficult to do and I wasn't getting any results, no benefit from it. And I finally said, you know what, maybe I'm the guy they're talking about in these commercials. And sure enough they were. The Lovell Men's Clinic educated me. Doctor Wood was able to explain a lot of people your age, even younger than you, they start losing certain amounts of their testosterone every year they get older, and that can have an impact on you. And sure enough, that's exactly what it was for me. And now you know, I feel a lot better. I mean I go back and look at pictures of myself, not that I was like obese or anything like that, but like just like my mid section, Like I had excess flab and it was due to low tee. You know, I had man boobs and it was due to low te And now you know, I've not really made much changes at all. I'm still active at the same rate. I still you know, have the same kind of diet I suppose, but I now have treated my testosterone deficiency to where now my levels are where they should be for somebody my age, and like it's it's not only made me feel better about my appearance, but also mentally, like if you really want, if you if you really doubt me, go look at look go look into it yourself. I mean, you can have a mental effect on you as far as like anxiety and depression. I mean not, I mean that's not maybe super common, but it happens. So go see doctor Wood. If you're somebody who feels like you could benefit from that, tell him I sent shit, and I think you'll be happy that you did. It's Lowamen's clinic dot com.
Speaker 3: That's the website. BABO two four four four four thousand is the number. Quick break.
Speaker 2: We'll come back on the other side and bring in doctor Eric McElroy Prora have physical therapy right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Coffee and Company with Nick Coffee on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: That's right, let's bring him Manny is doctor Eric McElroy from Proria Physical Therapy who joins us here each and every week. Eric, how we doing on this beautiful Friday afternoon.
Speaker 3: I'm doing great, Nick, How are you doing doing well?
Speaker 2: Doing doing well? This The spring weather is uh is amazing. I hope it's here to stay. But you know, nothing would shock me when it comes to a Hey, we've had it.
Speaker 6: We've had we've had a really good winner where I mean it's not been good. I mean the snow's been crazy, but it's been cold, but at least we've had sunshine. You know, we've had winners. I feel like we're like January and February just dreary and overcast all the time.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 2: Some of those days that were in like the single digits or the teens. If the sun wasn't shining man, that would have been even worse and it would have really impacted a thing, just morale, like the sun can do a lot for for just good energy and h and good vibes. But yeah, this day today, at least where I'm sitting, it is uh, it is absolutely beautiful. But it seems as if a lot of folks in the Kentucky and area really everywhere have have been getting sick. And Louisville basketball has dealt with some some illness in recent weeks. And we don't know the specifics as far as if it was the flu of cold or what it was, but even last week leading up to their game on Saturday, they had some guys that had to sit out some practices. Coach Kelsey even had to get an IV before practice just because I guess they've had some some lingering illness. And I guess my question is when you when you're when you're coming off of something like that and you're you know, you don't have any more symptoms, you're not contagious, you feel better, but then you get out there and you try to play you know, Division one college basketball, I feel like you're, you know, you could have some fatigue that really lingers. In Louisville the other night, they just look winded in a way that we haven't seen before. Still played hard, but just looked gas And I'm just curious. You know, when you are, you know, coming off of a bug or whatever it may be, even though you feel better, there may be some lingering effects that could really show when you're out there playing you know, high level college hoops.
Speaker 6: Well, your immune system burns a lot more energy. You know, it's all about energy and calories, calories, our energy, and so your immune systems is burning hotter because it's trying to heal you. And we take that for granted because we don't feel the exertion of that necessarily like we do working out. But you know that takes a lot of us. Your body is trying to slow you down to help focus its efforts on the things that needs to do. It's just the systemic illness you're dealing with. So and it's not like a one off injury like your knee. I mean, this is impacting your whole body. We've all been through it, we all know what it feels like. And so yeah, it takes a few days a week, even sometimes especially when you magnify that into the amount of effort they have to put into play a college basketball game and the travel and everything else, and so yeah, absolutely, and so they're pumping them full of all kinds of fluids. They're trying to do anything to get their electrolytes up to help, you know, help fuel the system if you will.
Speaker 4: You know, a lot of.
Speaker 6: Times you haven't been depending on what virus they've had, they have not been able to keep their nutrition to where it needs to be, hearing where it is. So you know, there we've all dealt with that.
Speaker 4: You're dehydrated, you're you.
Speaker 6: Haven't been able to eat, uh, and so you know, and then you've got to go play a basketball game at a high level. So you know, it's it's it takes its tolls. You know, it's just like trying to go back to work. You know, it's a struggle for a few days. But so but hopefully it's it's run its course and you know, now they're not having to deal with it going into the tournament times.
Speaker 2: So when you get this late to the season, really just any any sport, you know, you've you've you've gone through it. You've been playing for months, nobody's probably at one hundred percent. But from the sports medicine side of things, is there are there some things that that maybe you implement and maybe you recommend to the players the training staff, maybe having them do something a little bit different than their normal routine just to maybe as best they can try to you know, prevent some some you know, maybe not just injuries, but just you know, you're clearly your body's it has some more miles on it now than it did in November.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you're working your butt off, you know, you're you're really a peak effort at this point. You're trying to keep everybody a lot of recovery, you know, a lot of different you know, soft tissue work, what a modoubty whatever it is that we have to do to keep these guys healthy. You're making recommendations on you know, rest, different type of workload management, anything you can to keep them, you know, these nagging injuries, you're trying to eliminate or prevent them from kicking over into more of a problem than they already are. So it's a it's it's a team, uh And I know coach Kelsey talks about it all the time, but it's true, and you've got to be in constant communication with the coaching staff, the trainers, the streat coach uh, you know, the physicians, you know, nutrition, nutritionists, whatever it may be, I mean, sports sites. You know, it takes little a team effort of people for just maybe one athlete. You know, you're you're talking to these different people for one athlete about all right, let's get him in you know, he's losing his focus, or he's you know, you can tell he's more fatigued, or this injury is getting in his quote unquote getting in his head. That's not a real thing, but it's it's something that you know, these are things that you know, we're communicating with a lot of nutritionists. You know, is there something that we can start giving them that's more it's going to bring down their amount of inflammation they have. You know, what what do we need to do to make sure this athlete stays as healthy as possible?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 6: And so, uh, yeah, it's you're in peak performance mode on the UH support staff, if you will, right now to make sure these athletes are are you.
Speaker 4: Know, moving at whatever level they.
Speaker 1: Need to be moving as we go into tournament time.
Speaker 6: Because the thing with tournament time is it's yeah, the pressure is there obviously to win because if you if you don't, you're out. But the games are coming faster. You know, you don't have that three or four day break, so you know that what's coming to what's and if they continue to play, you know what's about to hit you and so and you got to make sure that you're on top of it.
Speaker 2: Getting that double buy in the ACC tournament, which they did clinch earlier this week, that's huge. I mean because you're in con conference play. I mean, these guys play.
Speaker 3: Back to back, back, back to back to back to back to back.
Speaker 2: If if they keep winning, and that's you know, that's even more of a of a grind than the NSAA tournament. And yeah, you do get a few days off, but it's not a whole lot of time to really rest. I mean, if you're a team that has to win a lot of games to punch your ticket, obviously that's a great you know, you're probably really riding some momentum, some adrenaline, but man, that'll that'll take its toll on you for sure.
Speaker 3: If doctor K.
Speaker 2: Mclroy, appropriate physical therapy is our guest, he joins us here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Always a pleasure to chat with him, and I wanted to get your thoughts on Victor winbin Yama's recent injury. He is a superstar already in the NBA. He's out for the season and being diagnosed with DVT. It is a deep vein thrombosis that's in his right shoulder. Sounds like blood clot stuff.
Speaker 3: What what you know.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of folks myself included, that just saw the diagnosis at first and didn't even see that it was I guess more so like a blood claud But I mean, how dangerous is this? I've heard that this could be something maybe isn't crazy, but also it could be very serious.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean it's it's you know, it can be very dangerous if.
Speaker 4: It's not treated.
Speaker 6: The other thing is somebody that's young. You know, there's they're going to do a whole battery of things to say, why is he getting a DVT? You know, I mean, there's why right at nineteen, there's you know, so you don't want to speculate but as to why, but they're definitely doing their due diligence to say, all right, is there something that does he have, you know, an excessive amount of clotting factor, you know, what is it going on? It could because though this one may not be serious, they can become serious. And so you don't want to take it for granted, no matter or how old he is, no matter what type of athlete he is. And so you know, he's going to go through a battery of tests and there's a lot of treatments and different things they can do based on what they find to help make sure that this is he can manage this for the rest of his life and as well play basketball at the level he wants to play so or it needs to be able to play. So I think that that's a lot of why it's probably like we got to put a pause on this, because what happens is you don't want another one to form. You want to say, right, well, this one's clear. We've done all this stuff we've had to do to clear the you know, they'll put him on blood dinners and things like that to get to dissolve the clot there's different things to dissolve the clott and then to get it to where he's less likely to clot again. However, you don't want to take that for granted without doing your digiligist to make sure you're addressing what needs to be addressed.
Speaker 2: So one more injury I wanted to it's really not an injury specifically, it's a guy who really is a walking injury. Unfortunately, Joelle Embiid shut down for the remainder of the season due to his injured left knee. This of course, was announced within the last hour. I mean, this guy, I mean he's I mean, he's had it. He's had He's got an MVP trophy in his case now, and he's a phenomenal player when healthy. Uh, but man like, since he entered the league, he's been hurt and it's just there's never been any level of consistency with his health. And when you hear that, you know they're in a position now where they're so bad that sitting him makes most sense because they're just in a really bad way.
Speaker 3: But I mean, I don't know how.
Speaker 2: His career finishes, even if he does end up still getting healthy, having stretches, maybe he wins another MVP.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I just kind of feel like he's going to be known as the guy and remembered as the guy who man, he was always hurt.
Speaker 6: He was always heard, he didn't reach his potential quote unquote. I just think it's when I look at players like this instead of like saying, A, you know, well, the guy's injury prone. I mean he's a he's a high level Like you said, he's an MVP, one of the best in maybe his era when he's playing healthy. But that's what separates Lebron. That's what makes somebody like that so much more imprisonable. I look at it that way, like the ability for somebody. I know they're a different style of player position, but it just it goes to show that to play for a long time at this level, you got to have some luck on your side, you got to have things fall into place, you got to have some genetics that maybe a little you know, to get to the type of player Lebron is, and to be able to do that, I look at that is more impressive because to me, this is not this is more of the norm. You get players like this, maybe not with his you know, the same reputation or his exposure as MB, but you know, their seat, their careers kind of phase out because they're just hurt and uh and I think especially the bigger the you know, the the game is different. These big guys like this that have to play like they do now it's i know what quote unquote not is physical, but they're running a lot more. There's a lot you know, you got to guard down the perimeter a lot more. You know, there's a lot of things they have to do that and used to have to do at that position that I think takes its toll on these guys that are seven footers and you know, three hundred and something pounds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think with with Lebron, I know you and I've talked about it before on the show. He's such a I mean, he's he's a legend. So therefore there's a lot of different ways to talk about him. But when you look at two guys that are maybe the best or one of the best that's ever done it in their sport, that played the game at a high level at a much older age than most, they're also guys that, yes, very blessed, very fortunate, just gifted from God. But Tom Brady and Lebron James both clearly made it a point to make sure they took care of themselves as best they could. Man. They invested those millions they made to make sure they were they were doing everything they could to try to maintain And I just think that's one of those things that, you know, it's not as interesting to talk about as the rings that Brady has or Lebron bouncing from team to team. Man, it really has stood.
Speaker 6: Out, absolutely, and you know that, and it and it's spilling over, I mean, more and more of these athletes, and we've been preaching recovery for a long time, and you know, and it's finally what I love it. It's trickling down, you know, it's not yeah, we see the Brady's and Lebron's doing it. I don't know if you remember Joey Porter. He was huge on that and he was playing a very still a monster on the high level right right, and he's a monster at a position that's super challenging, very physical. So I think that it's just now we're seeing that we're seeing this happening in high school level and definitely the college level obviously, so you know, hopefully it allows these these athletes to play a higher caliber for a longer period.
Speaker 2: Eric, you are the man who is always appreciate your time, enjoy your weekend.
Speaker 3: We'll talk soon.
Speaker 6: My friend absolutely, get out of there, Nick, go enjoy the sunshine.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna try, I'm gonna try to take care. That's doctor Eric mclroy from pro Raa Physical Therapy. Always appreciate his time and always enjoy the conversation. We've got another hour to go, so stick around. We'll get you set for the weekend. Five o'clock on a Friday, let's get it done.