Speaker 1: The right fist.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Playoff Baseball is back, and with it an annual postseason tradition.
Speaker 3: Scam is back. Baby.
Speaker 2: This is Sax and Cakes in the A app Go with Broway. Dodger legend Steve Sacks is joined by your favorite Dodger pregame host, Tim Kats. If you want to talk Dodgers, get in on the show on eighty six six nine, eighty seven two five seven now while the Dan Patrick Show streams on the Ihearts radio app. We've been banished to the Internet until this Dodgers playoff run concludes. Here they are broadcasting live on AM five to seven e LA Sports. It's Tim Kats and Steve Sacks.
Speaker 3: We are getting closer to first pitch winner or go home Game five and LDS Tonight. Right here on ampire seventy LA Sports is the Dodgers and the Sandy Ago Padres Marongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck live from Dodger Stadium will get it started at four pm. First pitch you Darvish and Yoshinobu Yamamoto. The pitching matchup set for five oh eights coming up this hour.
Speaker 4: It's you.
Speaker 3: We're taking phone calls your reaction, your thoughts on Game five, how you feeling going into this decisive Game five. Steve will give us our keys to the games coming up at the back end of this hour. Thanks to Ryan Dempster from MLB Network who joined us in the first hour. Our Dodger insider David Vassi joined us last hour and we got to get the chant going Dodger fans at the stadium tonight. Here's an example of what you need to do when you Darvish takes them out of the first inning, fifty thousand standing chanting Dovish, Dofish gotta get it going early, getting his head getting rattled, and get the Dodgers off to an early lead in this one tonight. I'm fired up to see if Dodger fans doing saxy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know, you gotta get you gotta get rid of that scar tissue. Yes, that's not a good thing to take on.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think they're going to do it tonight too. I think you're going to see the chanting. Uh, it's going to be in Unison. It'll be a collective event and uh yeah, the Dodgers are going to be sky high for this. But yeah, I would like to see some paraphernalia as well, some maybe darvish pictures maybe whatever. But put that up, put it in the air and get the chant going, and that'd be a good thing to do.
Speaker 3: Dodger fans need to be a part of this game tonight. The crowd in San Diego was taken out of the game in Game four, but they were ready to go at first pitch until the Dodgers took him out of the game. Dodger fans need to be ready. That needs to be a raucous environment. It's an early start five to oh eight. Don't let this be a later arriving crowd at Dodgers Stadium. Don't let the national media play into the fact. A lot of empty suits here for a four o'clock first pitch mostly a lot of traffic here. Oil.
Speaker 5: Well, they need to know jet out of work like around two thirty. Yes, get there a little bit early. I mean, I mean, there's nothing wrong. That's one thing I will say is in when we had our playoff games, they started this time, there's like a I don't want to say, a smattering of fans, but it wasn't full. You want to see that thing at five o'clock. You want to see it in batting practice jammed, that's what you want to see. Have that place stacked and have it leaning one side to the other. Let's get it.
Speaker 3: Rocking absolutely again. First pitch is at five o'clock. Get there early, get your parking, get your Dodger dog at your cold beverage, and then be ready to stand for the next two to three hours as the Dodgers and Padre square off in Game five coming up this hour again, we got a two hundred and fifty dollars gift card for a one lucky Dodger fan of the Dodger's Clubhouse Store, Universal City Walk. They got everything at that Dodger's Clubhouse store. Official custom jerseys of your favorite Dodger players, hats, shirts, more, anything you can get there that's Dodger related. They have it at the Dodgers' Clubhouse Store at Universal City Walk. At the year right now at the Dodger Clubhouse Store, the official team store of am FI seventy LA Sports. All right, a lot of Dodger fans want a way in. Do you have scar tissue like me? From twenty seventeen Game seven, feeling good going into it against the Astros and then you, Darvish, happened in the first inning of that game seven. I still got scar tissue built up, and you Darvish is on the mountain tonight, Steven and Rancho Cucamonga. It's on with Sax and Kates and the am Stephen. How you doing?
Speaker 7: How you feeling, dam She's nervous. Nervous guy.
Speaker 8: It's still like I'm out at the end of the day. Weynesday morning, gentlemen. Also take by following, He's fifty three today.
Speaker 6: O fucking really.
Speaker 8: Sorry let me say that, but it's gonna be a crazy one and all the fans out there I'm looking for take us today at that could be out there. But you know what, we just gotta pump up down, you know, I'll be ready. I know the darbus doesn't really speak that well of English. Maybe we can say the balls when fills the ball in Japanese?
Speaker 9: What do you guess?
Speaker 7: What's you think on that?
Speaker 3: All right, that's something to think about. That's a lot of work to ask fifty thousands at Dodger fans to learn Japanese and even basic sentences and words in Japanese is a very very complex language that I'm not sure we can figure that even with Babbel in the next seven hours. But Saxy, I think if we put our minds to it and we really focus on that and we're really dedicated to help out the Dodgers as the tenth man at Dodgers Stadium in that crowd, I think we can all learn Japanese.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm well in the break, I'm going to go on babble and try to figure that one out. What do you want us to say a couple of sentences? Yeahs to start rattling you darsh I mean, and you got to you got to read it up and down and from left to right, from right to left.
Speaker 3: What are we included like bad words too?
Speaker 5: In this?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 3: Are we directing them? Are we going to keep it clean?
Speaker 5: Are we're gonna be slang in there right exactly? How does he want us to do that exactly? Or Southern you know Japan I'm sure it's different. Yeah, I know, different dialects for sure.
Speaker 3: Matt san Diego is next up here on a five seventy l A Sports getting some san Diego calls this morning. Man, How you doing you feeling?
Speaker 10: I'm feeling good? You know, one of the reasons I'm calling is to let you guys know I'm feeling a lot better than a lot of San Diegomes. I mean, this place was rocket and there was there was a vibe in the city. They all thought they were gonna win. I thought they were ready to parade, and we just took a life right out of them. And you know, one thing to consider with Darbish, Yeah, I'm able to hit him. Well, he's not too good in the elimination the Dodger Stadium. So I'm I'm gonna leave around thirty am. I'm gonna chant dar Arbish at the top of my lungs, and I'm gonna try to get my whole section to jump in and.
Speaker 7: Go Dodgers.
Speaker 10: Man, we got this right.
Speaker 5: But how's your Japanese? Are you gonna be speaking in different do.
Speaker 3: You know Japanese?
Speaker 7: Ma?
Speaker 3: Can you help us out with?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 3: You know you stink Darvish and Japanese. You know, all right, we'll work on it, We'll work appreciate it, We'll get the babbel going, we'll get the Google translator working here, and maybe we can all do it together before first pitch. A lot of Dodger fans here excited and nervous. I can see the anxious Dodger fans on hole right now. Andrew and Torrance, how you feeling got a little scar tissue still built up from twenty seventeen with you Darbish on the mountain, Knight.
Speaker 11: Already gotto Tim. That's about all the jests I know, Okay, yeah, I mean definitely, you know, you know the twenty seventeen now was a heartbreaker. I don't want to completely blame Darbish because of the astros on that, but I think the most important thing tonight is Yamamono's got to get to the first sitting unscathed, because I don't know if he has two on and he has one out, I wouldn't be surprised if Dave comes with the hook right then and there. Because I have a feeling this is gonna be a you know, height scoring, low scoring game for one of the first times in this series. I'm not sure if you guys kind of agree with that. How that's gonna kind of be.
Speaker 3: All right appreciated, Andrew, It's gonna be tight. It's gonna be the first inning in which it's imperative that Yamamoto puts that zero up on the scoreboard.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I got some news for you. I just wondered I have breaking news from Babbel. Okay, okay, you ready? All right? Are you gonna?
Speaker 3: Are you translating for us right now?
Speaker 5: Here we go? Okay, kimi wa kusai yo.
Speaker 3: That means you stink you Okay, well about one more time.
Speaker 5: Kimi wa kusai yo. Kim me okay kusai kimi wakayo.
Speaker 3: Okay. I think that's that's easy enough to figure out and shorten. It's say kimi wah you know what I mean? Okay, there you go, gim me walk you all right? All right, let's that's something that the Dodger fans need to get ready to start chanting tonight.
Speaker 5: How's my accident? Did you like it?
Speaker 3: It was pretty good. I would have eyes and I didn't know you were Steve Sacks. I'd be like, wow, guy knows this line. Yeah, he's pretty good at this guy. Andres and Wittier is next up here on a seventy sports Andres how you.
Speaker 7: Feeling, hi, guys, I'm feeling I'm feeling good. I'm feeling good.
Speaker 1: A little nervous, of course, you know, just knowing, uh, you know, how Yoshi did that first outing. But you know, I'm feeling good, but I think, you know, the bottom half of the lineup needs to get going. I think, you know, the superstars will do their things and I hope they come through, but you know they're gonna need the help too with that bottom half of the lineup. And then, uh, you know our bullpen. You know how they pitched the other night. They need to really bring that back with the off speed, getting Machado to chase Tatis even Tatis.
Speaker 9: Struck out, So.
Speaker 4: You know, I think that's pretty important.
Speaker 9: But I think we'll get it done.
Speaker 3: All right, andres appreciate it if he was just you know, talking. I'm thinking about the Game four Saxony and some of the pitches that Tatiz chase and Machado certainly was chasing the sliders or sweepers out of the zone. And if they can get that again and get these undisciplined hitters at the play to chase those pitches, that's certainly in favor of a Yamamoto because maybe get some confidence and those balls in Game one that they weren't chasing and they were sitting fastball against Yamamoto, that helps him getting ahead in the account and also have a potential, you know, strike three pitch that you can get it out on.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a couple of things on that. First of all, you have to be able to throw it for a strike. One way to do that is to throw it on the first pitch and throw it at the hitter. Hitters are looking fastball first pitch most of the time, so if you throw it at the hitter, it's gonna buckle them just for a split second and they're gonna wind up taking the pitch. Lots of times pitchers will do that. It's a great pitch. On first pitch is the only time you can really you know, back one up and get the guy to take it because they're looking fastball, and so you get strike one there shows them you can throw it for a strike. Then you can work that thing on the low and out side part of the plate. Again, he's got to work from the thigh down, not the other way around. But first pitch, curveball, you can do that and get away with it. So you might see him do that tonight.
Speaker 3: Darvish goes for the Padres. Certainly Dodger fans very familiar with him. In twenty seventeen and the results of Game seven. Here's Dave Roberts at his media session last night during the Dodgers workout, talking about you Darvish and facing their former picture.
Speaker 12: And I think for us it's just, you know, be ready to hit. He doesn't give in, but when he throws his slider, curveball in the strike zone or makes a mistake with the fastball, we got to be ready to hit it. And I do feel that if we can put pressure on him early, that puts us in a good position.
Speaker 3: All right, there's Dave Roberts. Certainly that's a success to a lot of pitchers you're facing is force him to throw pitches out of the zone and then make sure you take advantage of the ones that are in the zone.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And the best way is if you jump on him early, and he's gonna, you know, and not go for the proverbial. Let's work to count on him. If you spank him early, if he throws something in the zone and you're up there ready to hit, he's gonna think twice about laying one in there. And I always thought that that's a great thing. If you're not ready to hit, then don't get in the battles.
Speaker 3: Box eight sixty six, nine eighty seven two five seventy will keep things wrong. Thanks for being patient, Dodger fans. Paul in Long Beach is next up here on a five seventy LA Sports Sax and Kates and the am. How you doing.
Speaker 9: I'm doing great, Thank you for taking my call. I've got a couple observations and a question for Steve Sacks. Sure everybody talks about Game one with Yamamoto Yoshinovo, but Game two he came back very strong early on in the season, and I think his the next game, he'll be ready. He's gonna be ready tonight. And I think the bottom of the lineup Key k is a gamer. He raises to the moment. I'm really looking forward a big game from him. But I got a question for Steve Sacks. When you were a rookie, I don't know if you recalled, there was an interview after a multi hit game that you had with Jerry Doggett and he asked you, hoping to surprise you, who's leading the league in hits, and you came back with, well, I am. And then he changed his tone and he became kind of fatherly and he goes, well, if you weren't that go to your head, I'm taking you to the woodshed. And I was wondering, did he ever take you to the woodshed? Do you remember that moment?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't remember it. It sounds like. Look, I mean, here's the thing about that is and you can imagine what it's like today. But the transfer of information is so prevalent. Every time you walk in the ballpark as a player, you're there during batting practice, they have all those things on the board. It's everywhere. You can't like not know it. I mean, you know, we used to read the papers then, so the papers would everybody, you know, everybody knew it. That's kind of the world you live in. I mean, I didn't care if I was if I was leading the league and hits great. If I wasn't, you know, that's great too. But it is what it is. And I didn't mind saying that. I was just being honest with him.
Speaker 9: That's great. I appreciate it. Yeah, well go show Hey he's superhero. So all right, have a great time.
Speaker 3: All right, there you go, is Paul and long Beach appreciate the phone call Bill and Los Alamidos. This squeeze one name before we take a break. Bill, Thanks for being patient, hanging on there, go ahead. How are you feeling going to the game? Find the night Bill?
Speaker 13: Hey, right on, Fellas, right on. I feel like everybody else does. Nervous about our guy on the bump, that is, you know how low trouble in the first inning. Well, how can you how can you not feel nervous about that?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 13: Saxy?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I got you, Okay, Yeah, And I'm thinking.
Speaker 13: You're feeling good. You're feeling good, Saxy, because you know, the Dodgers are gonna put together some really really good at bats and they're gonna make Darvish work. And you're right, you gotta be ready to hit and be aggressive. And we're all talking about nervous about uh Yosi, you know, getting out of the first inning. That's the whole common theme. I want you to talk to Prior, and I think this guy needs to throw a short simulated first inning in the pen before he even walks out. I got him throwing a fifteen pitch simulated first inning before he comes out and joins his mates and the dugout and he'll be good to go. Somebody out to call Prior and have him, have him set that up and if you know, at the cost him one inning at the other end of the ball game, that's okay because you got a you got a great group of guys arms come in and shut these guys down like they did last game. Can you can you call Pryor set that up? Sack Bill?
Speaker 5: Hang on, hang on, I'm going through my rolodex mark Pryor got umber if I needed Okay, look you know what and I okay. So here's here's the answer to that is he does that before every start. It's called warm ups, and he's he's throwing you know, he's trying to hit the sides, he's working his off speed pitches. He's working both sides of the plate. That's called warm up. And they do that. They they aim for a certain spot on every pitch. Every pitch means something warming up. So yeah, he's already doing that.
Speaker 3: Eight six, six, nine, eighty seven, two five seventy is the number that'd be something. By the way, if he threw a sim inning in the bullpen and then it came out and acted like it was inning two, or.
Speaker 5: He came out and he got trashed because he was tired, that's the flip side of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, like what happened yosha, Oh yeah the first Yeah, those guys really tagged me out there in the bullpen, just got after me early and off, and I just lost my mental you know. Grind there. We'll take your phone calls coming up. Also, we're gonna go back to a speech from Tamula sorta to the Dodgers clubhouse a few years ago. Maybe it'll inspire this Dodgers team eight six, six, nine eighty seven two five seventy that's coming up. Your phone calls and Steve's keys to a must win Game five tonight. It's Game five of the nl DS. Dodgers Padres, you, Darvish, yoshinobu Ya, all the action right here on ANFI seventy LA Sports, Saxon Kates and Am am fi seventy la Sports, Steve Sax, Tim Kats and you as we're getting closer and closer to the first pitch and this winner go home, Game five of the NLDS right here on AM five seventy LA Sports pt Morongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck live from Dodgers Stadium, begin a four pm first pitch at five eight. You darvish. Yeah, still got scar tissue from twenty seventeen and what he did in Game seven against the Houston n Astros. Yoshinobu Yamamoto will get the start tonight, his fourth start against the Padres, first coming back in Seul, South Korea to kick off this twenty twenty four season. Faced him once during the regular season as well here in the States, and then Game one he faced the Padres at Dodgers Stadium, did not pitch well. Dodgers lost Game one. This series now tied at two games apiece, and Yamamoto back out there on the mound in Game five. We're gonna hear from Tommy Lasorda in his speech sexy that he gave to the Dodgers team in spring training a couple of years before he passed away, and we lost Tommy Lisorta in January of twenty twenty one. So we'll hear from that coming up in about five minutes. It's hopefully something that will fire up Dodger fans and certainly I would love to see played maybe on the JumboTron there at Dodgers Stadium for the players and fans. It's about two minutes long, but it's one of those Tommy speeches that I'm sure you heard hundreds of times before and after games.
Speaker 5: Well, Tim, I wanted to say this really quick too. I know you're going on to something else, but I know you like to look back and talk about the you know the fact that you've got the scar tissue that needs to be removed. It really does. I'm worried about your health. But look, I want to give you a little bit of a lollipop here, Okay, and that is that looking forward. I know it's not great. You get ahead of yourself. Well, blah blah blah whatever. Okay. Look, if the Dodgers went here, then they're going to go on and they get to play the Mets, which is gonna be bringing back lots of memories and lots of great things.
Speaker 3: They real pick me up if you will, lots of great stories from you too.
Speaker 5: Yes, but how about this, how about as a double dose decker of ice cream Sunday on top get this, Let's say that we smoke out the Mets and beat them. Look, the Yankees have advanced. What if we see an La New York World series? Now you gotta think big. You can't think just like in a vacuum. Open it up and think about what's possible. I love it. Yankees Dodgers World Series.
Speaker 3: It would be absolutely bonkers.
Speaker 5: Oh can you imagine that? Can you imagine Judge invading Dodger Stadium?
Speaker 3: Well, not to get too far, holy cow, but think about the Dodgers then beating both New York teams. Listen in retail world Series.
Speaker 5: If this happens, I'm coming to La.
Speaker 3: Yes you are.
Speaker 5: We are gonna do scams. Yes in the studio.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 5: Yeah, let's go.
Speaker 3: If they need any more motivation, that right there, put it over the hot by the way, it's going to happen. Last time Aaron Judge was at Dodger Stadium, remember what happened?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 5: He burned his toe out. That's right, to hit his toe on.
Speaker 3: The little cement lip there between the outfield and the bullpen and right field and Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 3: It hurt his rest of his season. He never right outfected him.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Is that guy some kind of player or what?
Speaker 3: Unbelievable unbeliever? And she and Carlos Stanton, who's a local kid here from the eighty one eight. He's starting to get hot.
Speaker 5: Yep, that's right.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's something to think about. Yeah, it's gonna be if they can get to that point, it's gonna be phenomenal.
Speaker 5: Absolutely absolutely possible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, major League Baseball. Rob Manford and his crony sitting in their offices in a high rise in New York right now, are just, you know, like the old Simpsons, you know, they're just like Yest's.
Speaker 5: I told you guys, we could do it this way.
Speaker 3: We have to say hi to Isabelle in Anaheim and checking with her. Is he good morning? How are you feeling this morning? Is he about this game five tonight?
Speaker 14: I don't know, I don't I'm okay, I guess yeah, well, you know what, you know what you know how I am changed the regularly eas I get it up to the playoffs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know how you get I know how you get it. You just got to keep it, keep your emotions in check tonight, okay, Yeah, well, you know.
Speaker 14: What, I think they'll probably be able to win this. Give me your dogs, your dogs, and you know, if they could, I think that'll be okay. And see you, my favorite Dodge, you playing Sousy.
Speaker 3: I've known you forever. I never knew sex he was one of your favorite players.
Speaker 14: Yeah, he one of my favorite I I grew up with the Dodge, right.
Speaker 5: I know you grew up with him that time.
Speaker 3: Absolutely you probably did. You have a Steve Sax poster on your wall like everybody else we did.
Speaker 14: I wish I did, know I never did.
Speaker 3: Good to hear from you, and we'll get you on.
Speaker 14: Okay, okay, okay, well go godyjall hope.
Speaker 13: All right.
Speaker 3: Great to hear from the great Isabelle In And how many of those posters you got in the garage because you know you want to flip one my way. I'd like to have one.
Speaker 5: I could flip one. And then when you get your you know your your panic attacks. Hey listen, man, I got sacks with me.
Speaker 3: Is it you like leaning on a corvette back in the eighties, Well.
Speaker 5: I've got a couple of the Dodger kids, you know, leaning on the car. I remember that picture was taken, was way up there on the outskirts behind Dodger Stadium, just before we were making a trip to San Diego to go play the pot. I remember that.
Speaker 3: Like in eighty three, I had eighty two, I still had braces.
Speaker 5: On my teeth. Excuse me, twenty two years old? I had braces you.
Speaker 3: Had, man, I don't remember you with braces.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I had braces at twenty Hey, listen, I could not afford any healthcare, no money in the Sacks family. And so when I got in the big leagues, I got healthcare and I needed I needed some some dental work, so I got some braces. And there we are, twenty two years old facing Nolan Ryan with braces.
Speaker 3: That's unbelievable. Yeah, I never remember you.
Speaker 5: I had no money.
Speaker 13: How did I not know this?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I drove the same car I had, you know, when I was like eighteen years old, until I got in the big leagues. Yeah, it was twenty three.
Speaker 3: Finally got some doughe Okay, so the poster of you, do you have the braces on or do you like mouth close so you can't see it?
Speaker 5: Braces on? You can absolutely see the break. Really, yeah, check it out.
Speaker 3: If you got a picture one, Yeah, send me a picture at least I want to see what that looks like. Or maybe I'll google it. They got to be on eBay. When we're clamoring from these things.
Speaker 5: They got that that ship has sailed.
Speaker 3: We'll get back out to the phones in a minute. In January twenty twenty one, we lost the great Tomulus Sorta Dodger icon, Dodger legend, Dodger ambassador for this organization for seventy years. And Tommy was inspirational Saxy. You know that the speeches he would give before games after he was managing, the speeches that he would give to anybody who would listen. He was the greatest motivator ever. And here he is, just a few years before he passed away, Tomulus Sorta dressing the Dodgers team in spring training before the season.
Speaker 15: I'm beginning my sixty sixth year with this organization, and it's been a long time since I've seen that flag fly in center field. And I don't know how long the big Dodger in the sky is going to keep me down here. But one time before I go, I'd like to see a world championship baseball team. I think this club here is capable of doing it. I watch you all spring. Have a lot of talent on this team, and talent which is used develops. Talent which isn't used will waste away. You know, I managed the Dodgers for twenty years we went the four World Series. We had great players playing for the Dodgers, and I see that same thing in this room right now.
Speaker 12: But you got to do it together.
Speaker 15: You got to play for the name on the front of your shirt and not for the name on the back of your shirt. Tying or winning run on second base and nobody. Yeah, your job is to get that guy to third base somehow, some way, and you gotta get him the third base. What trouble is for you to punt the ball or hit the ball to the right side. Now, the guy hitting should hit the ground ball the second base with one run coming in. Now that guy moves from second to third with one out, hit another ground ball, and you got two runs. You give up two outs for two runs. I'm bringing that point up to let you know, if you want to win the championship, you got to play the game the way it's supposed to be played. If you believe this is a great team, you'll practice like a great team. And if you practice like a great team, then you'll play like a great team. And if you play like a great team, then goddamn it, you're gonna win. It's up to you, guys.
Speaker 4: You guys are.
Speaker 15: Going to determine the fate of this ball club. And I'll tell you I see a lot of talent here that we're playing for a great organization. Your new fellas here, you come here for the first time, just remember one thing you might have played with other teams. That's the big League. So when you come with the Dodgers, it's the major leagues.
Speaker 1: You gotta be proud of.
Speaker 12: There were Dodgers.
Speaker 15: You got to represent the Dodgers in the highest degree of class, dignity, and character wherever you go. And by golly, we'll be celebrating in October, Thank you very much.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he believed every word he said. That wasn't it was an eyewash. He believed it.
Speaker 3: The great Tomulus sort of. Just a few years before he passed with the speech to the Dodgers in spring training and a speech that this Dodgers team needs to hear. This is a speech that Dodger fans need to hear before Game five tonight in this NLDS. I can't imagine playing for him, Saxy, Oh yeah.
Speaker 9: It was.
Speaker 5: It was great. I played for several managers, only one when I was with the Dodgers, but when I left, I played with others and wasn't any like. He was so unique. He was way a throwback and he believed everything that he said. I would love for them to play that in the locker room. I would love for them to play that on the big screen before the game, on the on the jumbo Tron, because it's real. I mean, you know, you can fake a lot of things, but he didn't fake that.
Speaker 3: That is awesome and to hear it gives me goosebumps listening to Tommy talk about it and what it means to be a Dodger and what it means to have a championship team and to come together and put away your your your egos, and and your collective effort is more important than this singular effort. I absolutely absolutely love here and that I'm glad we're able to do that. Eight sixty six ninety seven two five seventy. We want to hear from you now, Dodger fans. Joseph and Oxnar has been waiting very paigely.
Speaker 16: How you doing, Joseph, Hey, good morning, Timoth Steve. I'm doing well, full of optimism and very anxious. Man had had a double up on my blood pressure medicine. This morning, just to Ki and stay calm.
Speaker 5: You know, Hey, Joseph, are you worried about you? Darvish?
Speaker 17: Uh?
Speaker 15: You know what.
Speaker 16: Sort of but you know what, I think he's got this, you know, big moments is what he lived for, you know when he pitched in Japan. So hoping that uh, you know, it comes through tonight, and I'm hoping that the rest of the team comes through as well. You know, a couple of thoughts for you guys, your thoughts on Dave Roberts future. Uh if this doesn't go as planned? Uh, next year, do you guys see him still managing the team?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 16: I sure hope you know, it all turns out as well as if you know, we all plan it, you know, but uh, I don't know my thoughts, you know, kind of think that he might not be around it as it goes the way, you know, should you know, I want to get your guys just feedback on that, and uh, I just want to leave it off with Kima. Way, have a great day, guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Joe loving appreciate it. As far as Dave Roberts get concerned, you got to compare him to some of the managers of recent and Bobby Cox is the one that's a great comparison. The consecutive postseason appearances. Bobby Cox had almost fifteen straight seasons going to the postseason five Nationallygue Pennants. Bobby Cox had a one World Series win for the Atlanta Braves under Bobby Cox. And then you think of Dave Roberts nearly a decade now, nine seasons as the skipper of the Dodgers and consecutive consecutive postseason appearance is nine. Pennet's three World Series titles also won, I mean divisional titles eight. It's hard to argue with the success that he's had.
Speaker 12: Now.
Speaker 3: They haven't won every year, but they've put themselves in a great situation to win every year. And he takes the blame for all this. And if you want to start thinking about what if and what happens after this season is over it if it doesn't go with the way of the Dodgers, absolutely, I think Dave Roberts has to be back as the manager.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I say just sign him up multi year deal for sure. Look, you can make comparisons with Bobby Cox and Bobby Cox, the Hall of Famer, tremendous manager, all that, how many titles. Did he win one? Why is that? Because winning titles back to back or you know, every other year, whatever it may be. Even winning one title is extremely difficult. There's so many factors that come into it. Not just a talented team, but you got to extract that talent, put it on the field, make it all come about. You gotta have some luck, you got to be You got to have your stalwarts, have those great years. You have to have a couple of surprises, and it's just not easy to do. Look after I left LA, like I said, played with other managers. Yeah, wait, wait until you see that happens. If you're so concerned about replacing Dave Roberts and you get some other guys, some other yahoo up there that you don't like very much. Now it's a scramble game. It's musical chairs trying to find out which guy's available in the offseason. You got a great manager, stick with them, embrace them, and look, he doesn't hit, throw, or field or do anything. It's about the players, and the players know it too.
Speaker 3: I got a text message from a Steve Sacks fan who said, had a poster of Saxony when I was young. Ninety nine percent sure, either he had clear braces or the braces were on the back side of his teeth, because you're right, I wouldn't see.
Speaker 5: The side backside they were. They're called lingual braces, Doctor Cabrin. The guy that was my my orthodontis was a guy, and I was like a guinea pick. There was only one other person that he knew of that had these really, and I had lingual braces on the back and on the back, and I had him on top and bottom and on the bottoms. I had him on the front end the back, So yeah, that's what. You can't see the bottom teeth, but yeah, on the top they had him on the back.
Speaker 3: Well, this comes from a die hard Steve Sacks fan that had your poster growing up all right and said, I don't think I'm wrong having stare at that poster for as many times as I did, but I didn't see braces. So yeah, how about that? Thank you about that. Let's go out to the phones. Benn In in the Inland Empire is checking in here on Saxon Kates and the am learn a lot about Saxy this morning. How great was it to hear Tomulus sort of speech there?
Speaker 6: Ben Oh, talk about class Act and that kind of goes to exactly what I was going to talk about. Hey, I don't know if you guys are familiar with the movie Ron Burgundy. Well, there was a part in there where he says something about San Diego, and that's kind of.
Speaker 4: How I feel.
Speaker 6: Well, how great would it be for Will Farrow if he is a Dodger fan to show up tonight in the stadium dressed up as Rob Burgundy, to just kind of stick into San Diego's face, right, and wearing a Dodger jersey to top it off, right, So that would be awesome. You want to start the party off, Let's start it off with Ron Burgundy. Secondly, you know, it takes a great group of guys to push Dan Patrick to the side. So a couple minutes to YouTube for doing this in the morning, that's awesome. And last but not least, you know, I don't want to get ahead of myself, but let's just say, for instance, we do happen to take the el tonight, and you know we do make a change in that upper you know management that. You know, I would love to see Dave Roberts love the guy. I would love him to stay in our organization. But what is Mike Sosha up to? Because I would love to see that guy coaching this team in the blue where he belongs. He's uh working, Well, I got you guys, take care all.
Speaker 5: Right, Ben?
Speaker 3: Who's your favorite Dodger player? Do you have his jersey?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 3: Hung gum. Mike Osha is uh working with Team USA, I believe, and uh managing coaching and development. And let mean, let's not put the the what is he the car before the horse here? But I mean, if Mike Sosha could be back managing coaching in the Dodger organization in whatever capacity, uh sign me up for that?
Speaker 5: Well, I don't. I don't know if he even wants to. I mean, had a lot of years you know, doing this, and hey, he could help anybody, Uh, no question about it. He's a great manager. He's a great guy too. Who wouldn't want Mike Soshia in your organization?
Speaker 12: You know?
Speaker 5: But we got a manager in Dave Roberts, Yep.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, David Moore Park, David, how you doing this morning? How you feeling going into Game five tonight?
Speaker 4: Pretty I'm sputtering right now, fellas.
Speaker 3: Okay, what makes you feel better.
Speaker 17: What's the matter, David, definitely, you know Thomas Arma helped out a little bit, but I mean just being here listening to hear this kind of helps out.
Speaker 7: Just a quick note you there's no yellow mootos like the A in the Japanese League on five days rusts coming into.
Speaker 3: This not off the top of my head, but I'm sure you do, David.
Speaker 14: I don't.
Speaker 17: That's how Maybe he's my anxiety a little bit and that's how he kind of he gets the nextra day. So hopefully it helps out for him and uh Dodgers.
Speaker 3: All right, David, appreciate the phone call. In Japan, five days rest was normal. That's what's the pitching rotation over there. It's not like four days over here. In in the major leagues they go on five days, so that's considered normal rest.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't know what the trepidation is. This is an opportunity. It's not. Oh no, this is an opportunity, man. Look at it that way.
Speaker 3: Embrace, Embrace the moment. Coming up, we're gonna have a two hundred and fifty dollars gift card to one lucky Dodger fan of the Dodger Clubhouse store at Universal City Walk, the official team store of an FI seventy la Sports. Your phone calls and Steve's Keys coming up, leading you up to Game five of the NLDS. Right here at ANFI seventy la Sports, sax and kateson a until the top of the hour that it's calling Calhert nine to noon, noon to two Roget to Rodney starting to two o'clock. Petros Some Money will be live at Dodger Stadium, Marongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck live at four o'clock from Dodger Stadium, first pitch. It's an early one. Get out there early, be ready to cheer, stand and chant Darvish from the get go first pitch at five oh eight. You can hear right here on NFI seventy la Sports coming up in just a couple of minutes. Well, get Steve's Keys to a game five win tonight. But we've got to give away this two hundred and fifty dollars gift card to the Dodger Clubhouse store at Universal City Walk. Let's see who is next? Tepee and Covina is next up here on a FI seventy l A Sports. How you doing, Teppee?
Speaker 9: Good?
Speaker 4: Morning, guys. I'm leaving work early today from Orange County bringing the energy with my cousin Brady, and I wanted to tell you a chance that we could do. It's a it's you know, the Japanese don't really have bad words, but bacca darvish. Baca means stupid or foolish, Buca darbish buck uh darbish? What do you think I like it?
Speaker 3: He would understand it. Certainly you'd get after him.
Speaker 4: Are you would understand? He would understand it because it is an insult. But again, they're a very respectful, sure culture. But but that word. Oh yeah, and it's easy to remember.
Speaker 3: Baca b a k a b ka baca darbish. Are you were in a jersey to the game tonight? Are you a Dodger fan? Who's your favorite player?
Speaker 4: So get this. My friend's dad pitched in the Dodgers in seventy two, Greg Reiniker, So yes, we bleed blue. We're a family that the I went to the World Series against the Astros where we lost. But I'll tell you this. I was able to meet Tommy Lesorda. He gave us five seconds to take a picture with him. God bless his soul and his speech is so motivating, and that's how we have to play. We got to play ground balls. No more pop flies. Don't be heroes. Let's just get some line drives and let's win this game so we could get to the World Series.
Speaker 3: Tepie, hang on, appreciate the phone call. Congratulations. You want a two hundred and fifty dollars gift card to the Dodgers' Clubout Store a Universal City Walk. The Dodgers' Clubhouse Store features official and custom jerseys of your favorite Dodgers players, along with hat, T shirts and everything else you can think of. It's the Dodgers' Clubhouse Store, a Universal city Walk, the official team store of am FI seventy LA Sports. Some congratulations to you, TEPPI. Enjoy some Dodger merchandise and hopefully some Dodger World Series gear. Let's get a couple more phone calls in before we get to Steve's Keys, which have been spot on the last couple of games. So make sure you're listening here to Steve's Keys in just a couple of minutes, Nash in La, your next up on a five seventy Hi, Nash, good morning, I am a little wary and a little distraught because I remember Game six of twenty seventeen, and I remember seeing the girl in front of me with her her small daughter, crying her eyes out because she saw Rich Hill, you, Darbus Clayn Kerschel all be.
Speaker 18: Decimated by the Astros. And I remember last year's disappointment against the Diamondbacks. I remember seeing a lot of fans burn Kershaw's jersey. And what I'm hopeful for is that we win. But in the event we don't win, I don't want to see anybody burning anybody's jersey anymore. It was so heartbreaking to see Kershel be defeated. But this season he got a restoration to his name. He may not be the same guy, but he's still the same champion. He's still the same winner.
Speaker 4: Go big Blue.
Speaker 18: We got this, and if we don't, we still love our boys in blue.
Speaker 3: Amen, all right, appreciate it, all right, enjoy the game tonight. Make sure you're chanting bacha Darvish or darbish. David in La is next up here on Saxon Kates And am.
Speaker 5: How you doing? David?
Speaker 14: Hey?
Speaker 7: I'm all right.
Speaker 9: How you guys doing doing good?
Speaker 5: What do you think?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 19: Let's playoff baseball? Is always nervous time. You know, baseball's baseball. What happened the other day? And on the on the game three in the second inning, we get by that any clean, we win it.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 19: What they'm saying is that the thing that is at the end of the game.
Speaker 4: We win this game.
Speaker 7: The music hit the road.
Speaker 6: Jack, he send them back to San Diego.
Speaker 3: That's right, the road jack. Don't you come back no more? All right, David, appreciate the phone call. Let's squeeze one more and if we can't get to you, I apologize. We're gonna Ronnie will be back at noon taking more of your phone calls. Eric and San Gabriel. Welcome Eric, How you doing.
Speaker 7: Hey gentlemen, Hey Kate, suxy baby, you're my favorite player of all time. I called it on Wednesday. I'm wearing your jersey again. Gave me good luck, you give us good luck.
Speaker 15: Uh.
Speaker 7: I'm here with my friend Jerry. After listening to Lesorda his speech, I was driving. I was about to bust my my my fishless windshield because I was so high. But let me tell you right now, we're gonna touch up Darbus, get some runs, and then we're gonna move they're gonna move on to the get some runs. We're gonna He's gonna be done, and we're gonna ride from there. We're gonna win. We're gonna need to send them back, put them back into places we're gonna keep their theirs. We're gonna be empty once again. And you know what, this is what we're gonna do, Manna. We're gonna blow them out today. We're gonna win.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 7: Today, wherever I always ride or die with the doggers, today we're riding.
Speaker 3: Gentlemen, all right, Eric, I love it. Time down again to Steve's Keys for Game five, Saxy, What do you got?
Speaker 5: Okay? I got the answer. First of all, A little surprised about the trepidation and the voices of some of the listeners. We love every one of them. But boy, I'll tell you what, this is an opportunity. It's not a time to be afraid. Everybody is, you know talking about twenty seventeen, how was seven years ago? Lick your finger and do this with you know, turn the page right, turn the page.
Speaker 3: Love it.
Speaker 5: This is a good opportunity. And if you're scared, go out and get yourself a Belgian Malinwah or a German shepherd. Look the way I look at it, it's obvious we need more cow bell. And that was the bottom of the order in the last game. Gavin two hits a home run Kik with a couple of knocks. That's what we need. We need the bottom of the order. The rest is gonna be fine. Trust me, you heard it from Steve Sack.
Speaker 3: Saxy cannot wait to talk to you on Monday morning, getting ready for the NLCS, which would be Game two that day that starts on Sunday, Game one. I hope we're talking on Monday, buddy.
Speaker 5: You bet you. We'll see you then. All right.
Speaker 3: Thanks to Cannie, Thanks to Michelle, Thanks to all you Dodger fans for being a part of the show today all week long. Looking forward to hopefully being back on Monday, because if Scam's back, that means the Dodgers are in the NLCS. First pitch at five, Oh wait, stand up, be loud, be proud, and let's go Dodgers.