Speaker 1: Hey, it's Neil Savedra.
Speaker 2: You're listening to kfi EM six forty the four Report on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Do you Do?
Speaker 1: Thanks for hanging out.
Speaker 2: Today, Boy, today has been chock filled with guests. I think we have another guest coming up shortly. But hanging out with Michael Angaro from the San Pedro Fish Market is always a pleasure. And I love those family stories of coming into you know, we pivot in life and our families pivot in life, and hey, here you have a fantastic fish market that came and Kate was birthed from a bookie, so go figure. You gotta love southern California and its stories. But very cool to chat and the food is just stellar. There's something about tasting something that's just done right, you know, their own little twist on it. Just a really, really wonderful thing. So thanks again to Michael for coming out and sharing their food with us.
Speaker 1: It really is fantastic.
Speaker 2: And another reminder that if you'd like to get that and you're near the Long Beach location only available July fourth through the sixth, sixty nine. Ninety nine, serves two to four people. It is their big barbecue tray. It's a limited offer, but man, it's got the polish sausage, the pulled pork, the corn on the cob, cole slaw, garlic bread, homemade carolina, a gold barbecue sauce on the side. It is something that you can most definitely enjoy. I will tell you. Also, I want to remind you that we are going to be out and about on the twelfth. We are going to be if you are in the area of Santa Clarita or you want to go for a lovely drive on a Saturday out to a beautiful part of southern California July Saturday, July twelfth, I will be at the Wild Forks Foods in Santa Clarita.
Speaker 1: It's off Magic Mountain Parkway. There. The show two to five will be in store broadcasting.
Speaker 2: It's just basically to celebrate summer grilling season, but man, are we doing it in a non basic way. You'll have Wild Fork food samples cooked by a grill pit master, prizes every fifteen minutes, including the chance to win a Fork in the Road chef's package, which features a barbecue proteins from the Wild Fork, along with tickets to see the Dodgers and an opportunity to go on the Hornblower dining yacht and have it be on. So it's two to five Saturday, July twelfth, Wild Fork in Santa Clarita on Magic Mountain Parkway.
Speaker 1: Don't miss. I'd love to have you out there.
Speaker 2: Find out more at KFIAM six forty dot com slash Wild Fork. I hope to see you there. I'm going to bring some swag as well, and we will enjoy ourselves for sure.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: One of the wonderful things to consume a sauce, a topping, a condiment, wherever you put it in your lineup is pesto. So Tony Turnbull was interviewing this from the Sunday Times was interviewing top chef Stevie Peril and how he puts together his particular sauce. And if you know, it's not a super complex, but this is one of those things as far as a lot of ingredients in those but as far as putting together a good pesto is about the balance of the ingredients. So he breaks it down thusly, one hundred grams of basil leaves, thirty grams of pine nuts, one small garlic clove that should be up half teaspoon fine salt, ninety grams of ricotta, a dally fresh sheeps there, forty parmesan, finally grated, one hundred mills of extra virgin olive oil. And you know you wash, You pick the basil, You lay out the leaves flat on Trey in his method, you put it on a flat tray. You put him in the freezer for fifteen minutes. Why this is gonna lock in their color. It's kind of similar to blanching, I suppose, but in this case you want them to be fresh. Toast the pine nuts in a dry pan over medium heat for about two to three minutes.
Speaker 1: They're gonna get golden brown.
Speaker 2: They're gonna get fragrant, and you put them aside to cool down. You crush the garlic with the salt until smooth. You can use a pestle mortar or the flat side of a knife. When it mixes with the coarse attribute of the salt, it will start to break it down. In a high power blender, mix the basil, the pine nuts, garlic paste, the ricata, the parmesan, the olive oil until becomes this silky and bright green, lovely goodness. Then you just taste it, and you're gonna adjust the season. If you need to loosen it a little bit, you loosen it with a splash of cold water or more oil if needed. But how lovely is that?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: You could add all kinds of stuff you can use pistachios, wal nuts, wild garlic, piously, hazelin. There's things that you can do to change the profile a little bit, but man, pesto is one of those things that on you know, Rigatoni or something good night, simple, easy to done, be done, and everybody's happy.
Speaker 5: You're listening to The Fork Report with Nil Savedra on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Thanks for hanging out today. If you're not familiar with the show, we just get together for three hours on a Saturday and kind of shake off the heaviness and ugliness and sometimes stupidity of the world and just celebrate food, people that make it, the culture behind it, and everything in between. So thanks for hanging out. I want to introduce you to Vanessa Parrish. She's the executive director and co founding member of the Queer Food Foundation. She's with us via phone and I hear that there was some train issues with you, so I'm glad that you are with us.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Fork Report.
Speaker 4: Hi, how are you? Yeah, so sorry about that, but I'm so excited to be here.
Speaker 2: Well, we're happy to have you as well. You out there on the East Coast.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's New York City Pride weekend, so you know it's just as crazy as ever.
Speaker 2: Yes, as if the rest of the time is not crazy enough in New York. But welcome you to the program, and we're excited to talk about what's going on tomorrow five to eight pm on Daily Street there here in Los Angeles. So why don't you tell us first a little bit about a Queer Food Foundation. People can find out more also at Queerfoodfoundation dot org. But tell us a little bit about the organization and then the chef a sandwich showdown of course.
Speaker 4: So the Quercy Foundation, we are a nation wide nonprofit that specializes in feeding, funding, and elevating queer food workers. And that's from smallier's, bartenders, farmers, food service workers. Our big goal is making sure that people are supported, they're getting equity pay and there also meeting and connecting with each other because where everyone is spread out all over the country, so we want to make sure that people know where they can find their safe bases and support.
Speaker 2: You know, and it's all across the country. Is an important part of it because here on the coasts we don't think of this the same way. Now, it's not that there isn't still a fight to be had, but we don't think in Los angele know, my dear friend Susan Finneger fought as a chef, you know, just a sweetheart of human beings, she and her wife Liz, but they're you know, here's a woman who fought against even being a woman in the culinary industry and also a gay woman on top of that, and the things that she has struggled through and continues to help through organizations as well. But we don't think of it the same way. But this is for across the country where the fight still continues to go on differently than it does here on the coasts. So do you get a lot of the dinner you know inside Middle America type folks right.
Speaker 4: Exactly like you know, in the South, like you know, Los Angeles, New York, Miami have those, you know, really nice bubbles of safety that we don't think about. But there's a lot of cities and states that don't have that whatsoever. You know, people fly in from all over just to go to Los Angeles Pride because they don't have those type of places in their own hometowns. So we definitely try to meet people where they are, Like, you know, Los Angeles. We do things like the Chef Dammich sow down to kind of elevate the queer chefs that are already out and about, you know, and then we also do other events in smaller regions to just build their network that they're just getting started with.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I often joke when people get hot headed about certain books displaying different types of families and the like being in children's libraries, and I laughed and I said, well, my eight year old does go to school, and you know, those families exist and he sees them in real life.
Speaker 1: He doesn't have to open a book.
Speaker 2: When we have friends over and families over, they're all kinds of families. So we get it a little differently. As you call them bubbles, I think is pretty appropriate. So in doing that, you put together events. What we're going to do is take a quick news break to get some news in here. But then when we come back, I want you to share with people the Chefs Sandwich Showdown at Benny Boy Brewing tomorrow and let them know what that is and how they can participate.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, of course, all right, Hang tight. Vanessa Parish is with us.
Speaker 2: She's the executive director and co founding member of the Queer Food Foundation. You can find out more at their website Queerfoodfoundation dot org, and it would be the same on Instagram and Facebook as well, Queer Food Foundation. We'll chat more about the event tomorrow when we return. So go nowhere.
Speaker 5: You're listening to the Fork Report with Nil Sevadra on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: How do you do?
Speaker 2: We've been chatting with Vanessa Parrish. She is the executive director and co founding member of the Queer Food Foundation. You can find out more at Queerfoodfoundation dot org. They have an event going on tomorrow, Sunday, June twenty ninth, from five to eight pm at eighteen twenty one. Now is that Daily Street Let's see Los Angeles, California, nine zero zero three one. You can check that there at Benny Boy Brewing. This is the Chef Sandwich Showdown. Tell us more about that, Vanessa lose you, no.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Oh sure. We have four amazing queer chefs from the Los Angeles Long Beads community that are coming out to do the best of the best and their sandwich curations. We've got Charlie Ray from Long Beads, Private chef Cloon Eliza from UI's Studios are also amazing private chefs. Sammy Schwartz from Slutty Sammy's. If you have not had a Slutty Sammise sandwich, you have to go and get one.
Speaker 1: The name alone, you're on the list.
Speaker 4: It definitely needs to be on the list. And then Jerny Rain, who is the chef and owner of Grits and Waffles in Ktown. So you've got four very different concepts of chefs coming to battle it out. And then a few of them will also be coming earlier, so if you want to grab a bite just to support them, they'll be out there all day lan whatever they've got going on, and then the actual chef sandwich battle will be from five to eight.
Speaker 2: That's you know, sandwiches is I mean, it's just it is one of the perfect meals because it's like, you know, we all love pizza because it's all your favorite things on an edible plate, and a sandwich is kind of the same thing. It's all these great things whatever your heart desires between two edible plates, basically, so you can just eat it. What's your what's your favorite? I mean, you've got great choices there on the East Coast. What's your favorite go to sandwich?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I really think it is a mont of Crysto on the menu. I'm gonna have to try it.
Speaker 1: Wow, goods so big.
Speaker 4: Ultimate brunch sandwich, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Absolutely it is. Yeah, it's one of mine too. It's super decadent and it's a lot. But if I see it on a brunch menu, I'm I'm going headfirst into that as well. How does this event going on tomorrow? Is it's twenty five dollars? And do they get this? Do they get tickets on your website? I'm looking now for a link.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can get the tickets on our website at Pride twenty twenty five. It's to be right there. And the twenty five dollars you get a sampling of all four sandwiches and you get to vote, you get to crown the winner. So it's gonna be really awesome. I can't actually I told this if I actually don't even want to know what they're making, because I feel like that kind of ruins the element of surprise for me, because I like, I'm also a shop. It's like I feel like I'm just going to kind of dissect it. So I was like, just at a mental fairness to my colleagues, I'm just gonna like go and see how everything tastes and support. But yeah, please get to ticke us online at our website Queertprefoundation dot org. You'll see right at the top Pride twenty twenty five. It will be right there. Proceeds do go to us at QSFF. Course of the proceeds so all tickets matter to help support our causes, keep each side of the events and community building in Los Angeles growing.
Speaker 2: You know, twenty five dollars is the ticket price twenty one in Old and Over, but in LA and in New York that's the cost of one sandwich.
Speaker 6: Right more.
Speaker 2: I'm like, twenty five bucks for a sandwich is like average right now?
Speaker 4: So can you come get a grab a nice drink from Benny Boy. You know they're grateful to them for hosting us and they're really awesome patio space. I don't know if you've been, I know of.
Speaker 2: It, but I have not been any patio space in Southern California I'm aware of. I love I love anything where they have eating outside in southern California. I don't know why we don't do it more here. It took it took the COVID for us to start eating outside in Southern califor one you're for some stupid reason.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, this is so nice.
Speaker 4: Like who ever thought of it? It's Los Angeles. We all be doing it.
Speaker 1: Sometimes we get it backwards.
Speaker 2: And again, remind everybody where the money goes to and about the Queer Food Foundation.
Speaker 4: Yes, so a portion of the proceeds of the tickets will go to the Queer Fee Foundation to help us funds feed and elevate queer workers and food. And that again goes to smallia's bartenders, bussers, your local chefs and restaurants. We have resources as far as food banks. We also had a hate crime fund for restaurants that have may have been affected by hate crimes. We have educational resources and a multitude of partnerships all across the country just to keep people safe. In equity and also inclusive in their workspace environment.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a great cause. And I love the fact.
Speaker 2: When food it's just kind of the attitude of this show that you know, food is the one thing that kind of ties us all together. We all have to eat, and that there's something magical about breaking bread with somebody, and it's always And people that work in the hospitality industry are some of the most generous people on the planet. Obviously you talking about Benny Boy Brewery and the fact that you know they're opening up their space for you to do this event. I hear this stuff day in and day out on this program, that you know, these people are constantly opening up their restaurants, their breweries, whatever it is, for great causes, and this is yet another one. So I wish you success.
Speaker 4: With thank you so much. We always say unity is a verb, you know, and these are the type of moments to show what that means.
Speaker 2: That's so funny. I say that about father too. The word father to me is a verb. Do you have to actually participate in things? Well, I wish you nothing about success on the event. Please keep us posted when you have other events that we can help get the word out and as pride wraps, thank you.
Speaker 1: So wait, what do you do come July July? First, you have fulled up the flags.
Speaker 2: Everybody puts their asslest chaps away and uh.
Speaker 1: Gets back to.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 4: We take a much seated break, but we have a big campaign that we call clear all year so you know, we're the equity and advocacy and people need to be said all year round. So we take a few weeks off to regroup and then we go right back at it again.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, good to hear.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks for what you're doing, and I'm glad that the train didn't keep you forever. We were happy to have some time to spend with you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: All right, That, of course was Vanessa Parrish. She's the executive director and co founding member of the Queer Food Foundation. You can find out more at Queerfoodfoundation dot org. Of course, you know, as much as I support and you know, love that there's organizations out there like this, I also hate there has to be organizations out there like this. Sometimes the most beautiful thing about America to me is that freedom, right, a little bit of that liberty we keep talking about, and so I love that.
Speaker 1: One.
Speaker 2: People are coming together to celebrate that frustrated that we still have to deal with these things.
Speaker 1: Off my soapbox, firm on the ground. We'll be back with more. So go know where.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Fork Report. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty two to five pm on Saturday and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app How Do.
Speaker 1: You Do What a show Man?
Speaker 2: It has been one of those shows that has been kind of NonStop with stuff going on, great conversations today, and we are going to be handing everything over to this young lady right.
Speaker 1: Here, Tiffany, including the food.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, including the food right can't wait?
Speaker 2: Okay, So you know I told you this before, but one of your the most powerful things about you and the way you see life is your perspective as an artist as well photographer and connecting with the the beautiful streets of Los Angeles and sometimes the not so beautiful streets of Los Angeles. But the first thing you said is that you would go here all the time, and that's just so Los Angeles to.
Speaker 1: Me to go Yes, San Pedro.
Speaker 3: Pedro is such a jewel. It's such a little the Pedro. I don't even have time, I think I am, but but yeah, I love San Pedro. There we go, and just going to, you know, the Ports of Call. I remember my homecoming in high school was at Ports the Call. So I've been a fan and a ficionado, if you will.
Speaker 1: It's a special place.
Speaker 2: It's really it's got its own vibe and it really it's you know, all of la is parsed into these little nooks and crannies and they have their own vibe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it feels very small towny and you can't get better than you know, restaurants like this one. And the longevity they've been able to experience seventy years. Seventy years is insane speaking of seventy.
Speaker 6: Years when you're saying that, what are you doing? Minus a few? But I went to Disneyland.
Speaker 3: Yes you're talking about that off air, and that's the This is their seventieth anniversary, which it feels a lot older.
Speaker 2: But well, because Walt's Walt's Company is one hundred. There you go, so that's why we all cut. So you go back to the early days of Oswald, the rat, Lucky Rabbit or whatever that was there.
Speaker 3: We saw that character yeah, really strange. Looks like a cracked out Mickey. Yeah, it's a little a little different. But that was stolen from him originally.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that was stolen from him, and that's why he created Mickey Mouse with his partner I works. I'm trying to remember. But the interesting thing is, so you went to California Adventure as well. So you walk in there and you're going down Buena Vista Avenue. There there's a point and you see Oswald, you do, but there's a point where there's a demarcation. There's a line that Oswald doesn't cross and Mickey never crosses. So that's the early twenties there, and then when you get into the later twenties, then Mickey Mouse is born, and so they never crossed that line, those two characters never. You never see Oswald anywhere else in the park, and you never see Mickey pass that line.
Speaker 3: On the other side, Disney's own version of segregation wonderful.
Speaker 1: Yes, equal but separate or whatever that garbage was.
Speaker 6: But I had a ball and I thought about you the whole time.
Speaker 3: Fun you know, of course, not my first time growing up here, but I haven't been in maybe seven years to Disney. That's a lot that feels like a long time and it's just it's so magical.
Speaker 1: They're fun, right, so fun, and the food is fit food.
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: Had a burger and it was like one of the best burgers I've had theme park or otherwise.
Speaker 6: It was really surprising.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're not doing that. No, they can't. Can't get away with that, they can't.
Speaker 6: I enjoyed it thoroughly excellent.
Speaker 1: What do you got going on on the program?
Speaker 3: All right, So, in keeping with the theme of summer, we're definitely going to talk about some of the Fourth of July events coming up around the south Land, being that Fourth of July is next Friday.
Speaker 6: What in the world At.
Speaker 3: Five point thirty, A good friend of mine is coming on. His name is j R. Jackson. He's a host and media professional. He's a former producer and contributor on the Young Turks program.
Speaker 6: You know that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he has since branched out and he has his own thing and he weighs in on some of the biggest news stories of the day. So we're going to have him do that as it relates to what's going on around Los Angeles, Orange County southern California with the immigration raids and other things that are going on.
Speaker 6: So going to pick his brain and see.
Speaker 3: What he feels about that, that's what it feels like should happened, right, Hoping that then at six point thirty, we're gonna have Aaron Ac Christiansen on. You've heard of him, of course, he's a huge animal advocate and rescuer, and there's a huge effort to rescue animals from downtown LA and skid row, and so Aaron Ac is going to talk to us about what that entails and what he needs going forward.
Speaker 1: It's a huge thing right now.
Speaker 6: A very very big thing.
Speaker 3: And he's the first to say that it's that, you know, he's not the one who should be getting the tension that there are so many others ahead of him or in front of him. But Aaron does the work as well. So we're going to have him, want to talk about his place in all of that. Uh, the gas tax, what's going on with the gas tax, what's fact, what's fiction? We're going to lay out some of the details there and it's going to be a fun show. Oh, We're going to start with the Poop Crew documentary on Netflix has to do with Carnival, something that happened in twenty.
Speaker 6: Thirteen, well, the poop, which is now.
Speaker 3: Back being discussed in five Oh yes, that was horrible.
Speaker 2: I remember that when that was going on and all the descriptions.
Speaker 3: It was like, right and Wald wall coverage on CNN, one of their biggest stories to date.
Speaker 6: Literally Wald literal water coverage.
Speaker 3: But you know, it's summer and people love their cruises, they love travel, So we're going to talk about maybe some things to be aware of if you're going to take a cruise this summer, starting the show off with that.
Speaker 2: After food, great, well, enjoy yourself. I have a happy fourth. I will be on with Handle all week and hosting the show on the third and the fourth with the morning show crew by my lonesome.
Speaker 1: So join us there, won't you? And again right down.
Speaker 2: Saturday, July twelfth, we'll be broadcasting live in Santa Clarita at the Wild Fork Foods Market there on the Magic Mountain Parkway. So put that in the calendar. Have a wonderful show.
Speaker 5: You're listening to The Fork Report with Nil Savedra on demand from KFI AM six forty