Speaker 1: All right, let's get it.
Speaker 2: Drivetime Friday afternoon, thirteen minutes past the hour, two o'clock. Lovely day, lovely, lovely day, in preparation for what looks like a really really lovely Memorial Day weekend. About seventy two degrees sunny here in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah. As it is every single day. It's going to have you along for the ride. Spence check, it's behind the mic, order Larson, behind the glass. Yeah, we got great weather this weekend and throughout.
Speaker 1: Next week as well.
Speaker 2: It looks like summer is on its way. Happy Friday to you, Congratulations, it is weekend time.
Speaker 1: You made it.
Speaker 2: Take a big old deep breath, and hopefully have a long weekend like we do.
Speaker 1: We'll be off on Monday.
Speaker 2: So this is our final show until Tuesday of next week.
Speaker 1: But luckily it is a.
Speaker 2: Jam packed, busy, busy show, very busy show with a lot to do, of course, the NBA Playoff basketball top of mind awareness. The Oklahoma City Thunder took a commanding two zero lead and once again kind of just kind.
Speaker 1: Of fit the script. I did even to feel.
Speaker 2: About OKAC the way I felt about Boston a year ago. They've got a level that I don't think anyone else has left, and quite frankly, they have all year long. They kind of just did last night where they've been doing all year long. Had a really excellent third quarter and second half. Julius Randall did not even get it get off the bench in the fourth quarter. This is who Julius Randall typically has been in spring basketball. He's had a really good playoffs, but not great Last night one eighteen, one oh three and Oklahoma City takes a two to zero lead on the Minnesota Timberwolves.
Speaker 1: They'll head back to will not head back.
Speaker 2: They'll head to Minnesota at the Target Center to take on well Uh to go back home. Minnesota is going to try to protect their home court after OKAC was able to get the first two games down in Oklahoma City. The New York Knicks fighting for their playoff live. This is a franchise that I can tell you is zero to fourteen in the history of the organization. When they go down to zero. They have never gone down to zero while losing the first two games at Madison Square Garden. But that's what's at stake tonight. Nicks are a healthy five point favorite that line has kind of oscillated a little bit back and forth, so we'll see if New York can bounce back. We'll see if Tom Thibodeau decides to extend his rotation a little bit. But we do have some playoff basketball tonight, and a big one at that. The world of pro hockey continues to roll along as far as the Stanley Cup playoffs go.
Speaker 1: It's the Oilers and the Stars tonight.
Speaker 2: The Stars have won seven straight games at American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas. That's one shy of their record in the postseason, and they lead the Western Conference Final one zero over Cony McDavid and the Edmonton Oilers.
Speaker 1: But you'll get that game tonight as well.
Speaker 2: So some playoff basketball, some playoff hockey, playoff basketball, playoff hockey. Last night as well, we'll get to some takeaways from the games. The Panthers smoked the Hurricanes, and the Panthers are the hottest team right now and the National Hockey League, so we'll do some playoff basketball, some playoff hockey. We are inching closer and closer to the NBA Draft coming up on June the twenty fifth. The next date of interest or Jazz fans. We're about one month away, virtually almost one month away, and a lot of rumors continue to fly about what the Jazz could do, either prior to Draft night or on Draft night, move up, move down, utilize their assets to bring in a couple of pieces. We'll have to kind of see how this thing goes, but we'll get you ready for the NBA Draft. Want to remind you that we're gonna have great NBA Draft coverage. It's myself, Richard Smith, Gordy Chiasa live throughout the course of the first round, and then the second round is the day after and that takes place during our show, so we'll have live reaction and let you know, of course what the Jazz elect to do with their four picks. Two in the first round, two in the second. So a lot to do on the program. More college football changes on the way after the news broke yesterday that.
Speaker 1: The college football.
Speaker 2: Playoff will be straight seeding now as opposed to awarding conference champs seeds. It's just the best teams get the best seeds. And we talked to Matt Brown yesterday about a bevy of different changes that are on the horizon and how this sport could take shape as we move forward, so we'll get the latest in that direction. No new news on the Jake Retz laugh situation out at BYU other than what's been reported by the Salt Lake Tribune and others. ESPN are Guy Kyle Bonnet Gurrow with some good reporting yesterday. But anything comes down while we're on air today, of course, we'll bring that to you. After our little four a up north to Ogden yesterday, we're back in studio today with a really good guest list.
Speaker 1: Start things off with the hippest.
Speaker 2: NBA rider around, Howard Beck from the Ringer Taco KC Minnesota, Top New York and in Indiana. Of course, a little jazz basketball some offseason NBA Zach Harper will stop by as well. One of our favorites on a Friday, Paul pug Meyer joins us to talk some and golf.
Speaker 1: Charles Schwab Challenge. The PGA Tour is stopping.
Speaker 2: At the Charles Schwab, so we will talk some golf on the program today with that guy Paul pug Meyer. Talk a little local golf as well. Played eighteen this morning at Bottaville. Shout out Bottaville. Lovely Little Track enjoyed that beautiful day, bringing mikeym for some off season NFL conversation, some football with Mike, and then Andy Larson from the Solid Tribune to do a little jazz and Little rsl RSL back at action tomorrow against Vancouver, the best team in the Western Conference, one of the best.
Speaker 1: Teams in all of Major League Soccer.
Speaker 2: So Howard Beck, Zach Harper, Paul Pugmyer, Mikeym, Andy Larson, he Spence Check, it's all of you, your great listeners. Happy Friday to you and that guy Porter Larson. Confidence level Game two Knicks Pacers, where you at?
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't think I can rightly say I'm confident, Spencer, not with the way Game one went.
Speaker 3: You know I have.
Speaker 4: I'll say this, I'm confident the Knicks will bounce back in the energy they play with. I'm confident that they're not going to, like all of a sudden, get swept and blown out in this series. I'm confident in like the fight that they'll have tonight. But man, when you get some of the performances you had into Game one and still find a way to lose, I'm gonna have to see a reverse course a little bit before I can go into the next game confident.
Speaker 3: There's a little uneasiness there.
Speaker 1: Fair enough as there should be.
Speaker 2: So we'll get you ready for some NBA playoff action tonight and talk about Game two takeaways Oka see Wolves last night. Howard Beck our first guest right out of the gates. But before we get to Howard. On this Friday afternoon weekend edition style courtesy off our good friends, your good friends, Stewart Prize Picks, it is to now for your opening tip.
Speaker 5: Welcome to the Drive with Spence check its on Utah's number one Sports Talk Now into the studios of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show. The opening tip of the Drive is brought to you by Prize Picks. Use the code es P seven hundred and run your game with Prize Picks.
Speaker 2: Cash in on the basketball playoffs with Prize Picks. Don't miss your last chance to add your favorite players from the court to your Prize Picks lineup. Whether it's points, rebounds, or assists. Take your pick of more or less for your shot to win up to two thousand times your cash Today. Turn those Playoffs Playoff hot takes and the tickets to Basketball's Championship Series started with the playing round. Every lineup you make on Prize Picks will enter you one of the Take two ticket sweepstakes, which gets you and a plus one a VIP trip to the ship. Download the Prize Picks up today, use the promo code ESPN seven hundred, and they're gonna hook you up with fifty dollars on the house when you play your first five dollars lineup. You do not even have to need to You do not even have to win. Your five dollars lineup to fifty dollars is on the house. So download the Prize Picks aut today use the promo code ESPN seven hundred. They're going to hook you up with fifty bucks when you play your first five dollars lineup. Prize Picks run your game all season long, all right, I'm going more on Tyrese Halliburton tonight twenty point five points. I'm going more on Jalen Bruntson twenty nine point five points. I'm gonna take We'll go less tonight on Andrew Nemhart eleven point five points. I want't you go ahead and give me more on Deuce McBride four point five points. That one feels easy. So there you go. Good friends at Price Picks. Got a little playoff basketball last night or tonight and playoff basketball last night before we get to Nick Spacers. It's just starting to feel about Oklahoma City the way I felt about Boston last year.
Speaker 1: This is their time and they're ready.
Speaker 2: And one of the things that I always, you know, hesitate about when it comes to anointing a team believing they can win a championship is if you have not had a lengthy playoff run as a group before and I haven't seen you do it, I'm always hesitant to say I believe that you can. And Oklahoma City with this group, you know, they've made the postseason before. Last year, they won one round and they were beaten by the MAVs in the second round.
Speaker 1: So I was a little bit hesitant.
Speaker 2: Even though all the data indicates they are historic and they had a historic regular season, I was just a little bit hesitant to anoint them as the favors to win the championship. And Boston last year just had a level and honestly, throughout the course of the regular season, when Boston was healthy and they were really ticking, they still have that level, but of course their lack of health against the Knicks and the New York Knicks ability to kind of exploit different things with them, they've sent them home and now they're on vacation. Jason Tatum is rehabbing his injury. Oklahoma City has that level, and I don't think anybody else does. I don't think Minnesota does. I don't think New York does. I don't think Indiana does. I think Indiana has some really intriguing things, but I don't think their pace will bother Oklahoma City if that's our finals matchup, and New York just isn't deep enough, or they have a head coach that refuses to look down hiss bench. And last night was just kind of fit the script. They didn't really do anything all that special. They had a great performance from the reigning MVP. Now Shay had thirty eight points. He only took two three point shots. He made one of them. The analytical community continues to take a bunch of l's during this postseason run.
Speaker 1: Oklahoma City is.
Speaker 2: Intentional at getting Rudy Gobert in pick and roll situations and then killing him in the mid range.
Speaker 1: And I love Rudy, that's our guy.
Speaker 2: Of course, he was here for eight years and nine years played really really well, but that's always kind of been the Achilles heel if you can get him in switches and then make him uncomfortable out on the perimeter and take advantage of him in the mid range. And that's what Oklahoma City has done intentionally, like they're almost insulting Rudy by canceling two or three different actions to get Gobert's man up to set the screen so they can get the switch. And then it's Jalen Williams and shay Giljes Alexander specifically, those two have been a nightmare in the mid range more than anything else when it comes to the way Oklahoma City is attacking Minnesota offensively. Jalen had twenty six points last night, He had ten boards, he had five assists, but he only hit two three point shots. As I reference say, with one three point shot back to the free throw line fifteen times, and yes, that is a superpower, whether you like it or not. Twelve of twenty one thirty eight points, eight assists, three steals, and after a pretty back and forth first half that felt like it could kind of go either way. Oklahoma City just curb stop Minnesota in the third quarter and Julius Randall, welcome back, buddy. This is who he has been historically speaking in spring basketball. He's had a great playoffs. I'm not taking anything he has done away from him. Eleven shots last night, only made two, did not play in the fourth quarter, had four turnovers, and.
Speaker 1: Ultimately there's not a home for him.
Speaker 2: If he's going to play the way he played last night, and if he is not going to be a viable number two, it almost doesn't matter what Aunt does. And Aunt was more aggressive last night at Minnesota was a little bit better with their turnovers, but Oklahoma City once again was plus twenty two off turnovers, and that's their superpower. Throughout the course of the season, they set an NBA record plus twenty one per game off of turnovers. In the playoffs, it's over plus twenty five. And so Minnesota was better last night, but I just don't think it matters. I don't know that this is a sweep. I think Minnesota can go back to Target Center and get one. But this feels like a mountain that's insurmountable for Minnesota, and they've got a Conley problem because when they play Mike Connolly, they essentially, okay see exploits him defensively, but when they sit Mike Conley, their offense does not run as smoothly as smoothly as it does when Mike is on the floor. So again, Oklahoma City is starting to remind me of the way I felt about the Boston Celtics last year. They just have a level that nobody left in the postseason has and this is their time. I feel like they're ready, and I if I had to pick today, I'm gonna tell you that I think they're gonna win the NBA Championship. They're six wins away, all right. Tonight Madison Square Garden, six o'clock Mountain Time on TNT. Thank goodness. Does the inside the NBA crew going to ESPN fix how horrible ESPN's every NBA coverages?
Speaker 1: Like, does it just fix it?
Speaker 2: I mean ESPN's NBA coverage outside of my guy, Mike Breen. Okay, shout out Mike Breen. Honestly, dude, it is embarrassing. It is a it's it's atrocious. I like Legler, I like Doris. You know, there's there's there's parts about some of the broadcasts that are good. But I like you, I don't think it really does because I think it's just personality based.
Speaker 4: It's just who you get, right. If you tune in and stephen A. Smith is covering the Knicks, then it's gonna be obnoxious and atrocious. If it's Reggie Miller assessing replays about Nix and Pacers, it's gonna be like it. There's there's give and take with every broadcast. I think you know right now it really does depend on like the team you get, the tandem you get. And it's hard, especially as a Knicks fan, trying to decide because I think stephen A puts on like a but poor, poor representation of us. And then you have Reggie who I think actually spends a lot of the game doing good breakdowns, but there are some of the times where you know then he's doing the thing with Tyrese at the end of the game.
Speaker 1: It's embarrassing.
Speaker 2: So luckily TNT has the coverage tonight real quick before we catch a break? Can can Tom Thibodeau get ten minutes out of Precious at you a like? Can we get ten minutes out of Landry Shammitt? Can you can you take Delon right former you'd off ice like. Ultimately, what this will come down to is whether or not the Knicks have the gas at the end to get it done.
Speaker 1: I've gone back and watched the end of that game.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment, like six or seven times, and credit Aaron Nesmith for going ray Allen circa nineteen ninety eight ogn and Obi stopped closing out and he never stopped closing out.
Speaker 1: Josh Hart stopped closing out.
Speaker 2: He slipped twice, he allowed a backdoor cut where he was flat footed.
Speaker 1: Jalen Brunson had.
Speaker 2: Two a horrific atrocious turns overs down the stretch that he never does. Karl Anthony Towns is limping up and down the court during overtime. So I'm not taking anything away from the pacers. And I understand Tom Thibodeau is who he is. But you've got to extend your bench. You have to find another four or five minutes for Og. You have to find a couple of minutes for Heart, you have to find a couple of minutes for Jalen, and you've got to make sure Kat is fresh down the stretch. Cat sneaky is like your secret weapon here. Indiana does not have size, but they have depth. New York has size, but they don't have depth. So can you get ten minutes out of precious at youa? Can you get eight minutes out of Landry Shammitt? Can you be smarter with your challenges and save them for later in the game like Rick Carlisle did? And can you stagger your timeouts to rest your guys?
Speaker 1: Tom?
Speaker 2: We know what your mo is and you've never coached in the finals as a head coach, and a lot of people believe the reason is you run your player's ragged. And while I've said for years and Frank Issola has been on this for a long time, there is no hard data that backs up the assertion that players get hurt if they play for Tom Thibodau. All players get hurt no matter who they play for. But I know what I'm seeing when I'm watching it, And if you go back and watch the way the Knicks fail to close Game one against the Pacers, it's just as much on the fatigue factor of New York than it was about shot making for Indiana. And typically I'd say with Jalen on your roster. If it's close down the stretch, you're fine. But after game one, I'm not ready to make any grandiose statements about this game tonight, So we'll have to see. We're gonna go live to New York coming up next and bringing Howard Beck. But I want to let you know that ESPN and seven hundred and ninety two ONEFM is your home of the Indy five hundred Sunday Morning with coverage beginning at nine am.
Speaker 1: That's brought to you in part by.
Speaker 2: Burt Brothers Summer Adventures or Just around the Corner, and Burt Brothers is kicking out the season with huge savings on auto services and deals on major tire brands. Are you superstitious at all? I don't know that I know this about you. Are you superstitious? Are you a little stitious on a scale of one to ten?
Speaker 4: I might be a little stitious, but I'm not superstitious.
Speaker 3: I don't know what the scale is and I've never been tested.
Speaker 1: Okay, fair enough.
Speaker 2: Well, we played Orange Crush last week for Howard in honor of our next and it did not work, so we switched it up. But I figured we'd stick with ther em to get our guy in the ride mindset before his Friday hit Howard, Happy Friday, sir?
Speaker 6: How are you doing all right?
Speaker 7: Guys? How are you love? The choice of drive an all time favorite, so, sir, And you're a drive time show right, so that that sits. I'm not sure that the thematic tie into the Nixon Pacers other than driving the Balls.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess. I don't know. I just you know.
Speaker 2: I didn't want to do Orange Crush again because it didn't work last time, so I figured we'd switch it up. You are in the great City of New York, correct, I am.
Speaker 7: I will be heading to the garden as soon as we hang up.
Speaker 1: So does it feel like a funeral? What is it? What's the what's the buzz? What's the buzz in the city today? Howard?
Speaker 7: I mean, might be completely done related. But it's May twenty third, and it is like gray and cold and rainy, and it feels like Portland frankly, So I don't know if I can blame the Knicks for that, or if the if like it's vice versa, or if it's just reflecting the mood of the city. I don't I don't know what to tell you there there's definitely some shock and some hangover for the fans for sure from the other night. Whether the Knicks have that will we'll see in a few hours. You know, it's an I suspect everything we know about this team, about Tibbs, about Brunson, about Josh Hart, about the way this team has been. I don't think the dent in their psyche from the other night is going to carry over, Like this is a This is the kind of team that you know, they've they've kind of seen it all already. They're kind of a tough minded group. That's that that is their hallmark anyway. So you know, like with every playoff series, or most playoff series, every night's a new game. And you know, younger teams may feel that differently because they they're they're not used to just shaking it off and hit the next one. But I these things have a way of changing very quickly. So I don't know what we're going to see tonight, but I don't think the other night is going to have anything to do with it.
Speaker 1: I tend to agree with that.
Speaker 2: But before we dig into tonight a little bit further, since I've not been able to visit with you, since Game one. It's wild man, Like I was watching and taking notes, you know, to get ready for the show the next day, like, Okay, here's this story. Okay, wait, wait a second, No, here's the story. Okay, wait, that's not the story you like. I could give you ten different targets to aim at, and probably more about game one, but your biggest takeaways from both what the Pacers were able to do and what the Knicks were unable to do to close it out.
Speaker 7: You know, as you say that about how many different stories there were. The first thing I'm always going to remember about that game other than Halliburton's crazy shot at the buzzer that we thought was a game winner and that he thought was a game winner but wasn't a game winner, but it was only the game tire that forced over time. The thing that was also staying with me was Jalen Brunson went to the bench with five fouls and you know whatever, eight nine minutes left and a two point lead for the Knicks, and I thought, wow, this is the golden opportunity for the pay Like, if the Pacers were gonna win it, I thought it was then, and because the Pacers instead lost ground while Brunton was on the bench, I'm like, well they're cooked. And I think years from now, I'm still going to be thinking about how much I thought this thing was just over and how impressive it was that the Knicks were able to extend their lead by a lot with without their best player. I don't know what to make of any of that spence, Like, I don't know, like do we go into game two thinking, well, you know, the Knicks played their butts off and still lost, and you know, so now it's it's in the pacers favor, not just home court advantage, but just the overall vibe of it all, is it? The Pacers were lucky just to be able to come back, and the Smith hit some I mean, he's a great shooter, but he hit some some crazy shots, and you know there's gonna be some you know, return to baseline here, some you know, regression of the mean. I don't know which way to try to spin this, which is why I will just still rest on We'll see what happens in.
Speaker 6: A few hours.
Speaker 2: Little Birdie tells me that somebody may have left press roll a little early.
Speaker 1: Can you confirm or deny?
Speaker 7: I mean, you don't need a Birdie. I spoke about it for like ten minutes on Rosillo's podcast yesterday, and I spoke about it again on the Real Ones pod today. When they're down fourteen fifteen, the Pacers are down, it didn't matter which who's down. But then when the score is that big of a gap and there's five minutes left in a game at the Garden, if you're sitting on the Chase Bridge, which is where the media auxiliary go right like the press area for like the beat writers and some of the local columnists, it's not that big, so most of us are up on this Chase Bridge, which is level nine at the Garden. For anyone who's never been there, that is about his.
Speaker 8: Up as you can go.
Speaker 7: It's also where inside the NBA's studio set was right, that's floor nine. Event level is five, so the locker rooms are on five, the press conferences are on five, the press workroom is on six, so it's a hike, and if you want to be downstairs where you need to be in time for the coaches and the players and everything else. Sometimes it's like, well, if the game's out of hand, I might as well go now, because the stairwells are just an absolute like just madhouse, especially if the next of one, which it looked like they were going to do, because it's just this moving party. It's it's really raucous, and it's fine if you're a fan, but if you're a reporter trying to get down to the press room or the locker rooms to get your job done, it's kind of hard to navigate. So yeah, I was not the only one who left. I got to the press room. Rachel Nichols was there, Chris Mannix was there, some of my Ringer colleagues were there, Like a lot of us were in the press room watching those final minutes of regulations thing Dinnicks are going to finish this off, and we were to all just of course flabbergasted. And then some people actually rushed back up to the Chase Bridge.
Speaker 6: I did not.
Speaker 7: I waited it out, So yeah, that happened. That was a thing.
Speaker 2: I did not realize that it struck such a cord. I was mostly just giving you guff. I mean, I think I went to ten jazz games this year, and I think I left at halftime of every single one.
Speaker 1: So I'm not one to talk and I'm very different for.
Speaker 2: Sure, and I'm also very aware of the complicated space you have to traverse to the garden. But Zach Low couldn't run you guys over enough fast enough with Mannix and Nichols like that was the.
Speaker 1: First thing he talked about.
Speaker 2: He took the victory lap that he was the only one left on press row and called all y'all out by name.
Speaker 7: I mean, you know, I think Zach probably figured whether he gets down there in time or not doesn't matter. He was going to wait it out, and he's got a life leisurely drive back up to suburban Connecticut to his estate, you know. So the rest of us felt like we needed to get.
Speaker 2: Downstairs one more thing on Game one, Howard, because I'm wondering if at any point now, as somebody who has been cheering for this franchise since I was ten years old, it has ingrained in me not to believe the game is ever over, and it's ingrained in me to believe that if something could go wrong, it probably will.
Speaker 1: So at no point was I like, all right, that's it.
Speaker 2: But when Jalen hit his step back three and it's one nineteen one oh five with two point fifty one, I just said there's not enough time.
Speaker 1: Like no part of me was like, all.
Speaker 2: Right, that's it, because I figured something, if something's any could happen, it might.
Speaker 1: But I just thought, like the Pacers simply will run.
Speaker 2: Out of time because I didn't think Aaron Nee Smith was going to go ray Allen circa nineteen ninety eight. Was there any point in the game where you're like, yep, that's it, Nicks one, it's over.
Speaker 7: Yeah, multiple times, including when I left my seat.
Speaker 1: To go down the press room.
Speaker 7: I did not see this happening. But who could have predicted you know, Nie Smith just you know, turning into a flamethrower, and you know the Knicks, you know, gagging at the worst moments too. I mean, you know, anonob and Towns each missing a free throw. Like a lot of things had to happen, as is often the case in a dramatic NBA comeback, Right, So.
Speaker 8: It's it's all of it.
Speaker 7: I have not rewatched all that sequence, but I mean there's so many just I think unlikely twists and turns in there, and especially given how much of a clutch team the Knicks are, you absolutely do not expect this. But one of the things I said before the series started, was you know, given what the Knicks have done and what Jalen Brunston has done, he is the clutch player of the year and all that. If this is, if it's ever close in this series, the Pacers could be cooked because the Brunson's going to always bring it home. But I as soon as I thought that earlier in the week, as I was getting all my thoughts down, I thought, wait, Tyre's Halliburton has hit a buch huge clutch shots in his career already. The Pacers have wiped out massive leads to win on the road. You don't want it close against them either, Like this is like they're truly both of these teams are built to weather this, and so it sort of becomes a coin flip as to who can prevail in the end. But even all that said, like I mean, all this comes down to Tyrese Haliburton driving into the lane, turning around, making a U turn, going back out to the arc, hitting a shot with his toe on the line, giving the choke sign, going into overtime, and then having to still like go oh, whoops, choke sign too early. Guess we better finish this off and overtime now and still having to then execute then like it's it's just so many different things that's what makes this like that game. Apologies to you and all the rest of the Knicks fans, but that game is going to go down as an all time incredible game. We're going to be talking about this years and decades from now, just like we talk about Sorry again, Reggie Miller's eight points and nine seconds or Derek Fisher's point four that I was there for all the years ago, Like this is a playoff classic instantly, and wherever the series ends, like the Knicks could win the series, we will still be talking about Tyreez Haliburton.
Speaker 6: In that moment.
Speaker 2: I'll be honest, I couldn't sleep, like I kept going over the final few possessions, and I did go back and watch Howard and ultimately as much credit as the Pacers deserve and Niece Smith and Halliburton and Rick Carlisle's a hell of a coach. Ognnobe stopped closing out. Josh Hart slipped twice. Josh Hart was caught on a back door cut with his feet firmly planted on the floor. Jalen with a couple of bad turnovers down the stretch, Kat misses a free throw. Og misses a free throw. Credit the Pacers. The Knicks were gassed. So as we move over to tonight, here's my first question. Can Tom Thibodeau get ten minutes out of precious Atchua? Can he get eight minutes out of Landry Shammitt? I know his deal, right, but they were gassed. Kat was limping up and down the floor at the end. And again Og never fails to close out, and he did on multiple occasions. So I get like, this is who Tom is. It's who he's always been. I understand that rushes that you is not a bad player. He's got some pieces on his bench that he can throw in there for four or five minutes. He also has to be better with his challenges, and I think he has to be better with his timeouts.
Speaker 1: I thought he was out coach game one.
Speaker 2: Is there any chance he extends the bench a little bit so they're not so gassed at the end.
Speaker 7: You know, Tibbs is fairly stubborn about these things. He trusts who he trusts in that rotation, And yeah, I mean we've seen the pattern over and over again. I do think so A couple of quick things what is a concern for the Knicks in general coming into the series would be and certainly after Game one, the Pacers play at this just frantic pace and they're gonna get up and down the court and the knickser are used to playing much more deliberately, and as much as the Knicks are certainly conditioned for long minutes because Tibbs plays them all, you know, among the highest minutes in the league.
Speaker 8: It's it's it did their pay.
Speaker 7: It's not running up and down at the PACER's pace, which is which again it's frantic, and I do think and also the Pacers move the ball quite a bit, right, like you have to defend multiple actions in every possession, unlike what they faced with Boston or Detroit. So there's there is a potential fatigue factor here on in every other day series for the Knicks. On top of that, yeah, the shorter rotation. So to the question of precious at Chua in particular, you know, Town's had a pretty big game. He had some some missteps of key moments late, but Town's had a pretty big game against them, and Miles Turner was not and you know, or or Siakam any of their bigs were not really the answer. So I do wonder if they might just dust off precious Atchua anyway, and you know he's he's closer to like Tobias Harris size really and you know Tobias Harris had had some good, you know, stretches against towns, and you do need to give towns different looks. And sometimes when you get a guy who's just strong with the lower center of gravity, that that can have an impact. So we'll see. I think your instinct is right given everything we just talked about, like they probably should extend the rotation at least by one more player.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you make some good points regarding the pace, because ultimately early on in that game, I think what people forget is Indiana could not miss. They just made I think they made their first ten shots, but the Knicks were able to keep up. But they were playing up and down and it was and it was working for the Knicks.
Speaker 1: They were actually playing well offensively.
Speaker 2: And New York can run, They've got fast wings, Jalen can get up and down. Kats not necessarily flee to foot. But if Tom isn't going to extend his bench by a player or two, what do they have to do to be careful that even if the pace is working, understanding that going up and down with a bench that goes eleven deep fifteen plus minutes a night with eleven players eventually will catch up to you. How do they stop themselves from getting in this up and down game back and forth, even though at times it works to make sure that they have enough gas at the end.
Speaker 7: I don't know. I think you can be as deliberate as you want, but if the other team is pulling the ball out of the basket and immediately spritten up court and you know, basically going seven seconds or less Mike d'An toni style, which so many times the other night I've flashed in my head. And it's funny because of course the sun's paced back then, which we thought of as so frantic, and they're gonna shoot as soon as they get their first open shot. Their pace would be slow by today's NBA standards, but that's what it looked like to me watching the Pacers go like they're just gonna get up court and the first good shot they got, boom, it's going, And it's easy to get caught up in that. But I do think, yeah, the Knicks have to try to do things their way. They need just to slow it down. They need to make the Pacers work as much on defense as possible to maybe hopefully put a dent in their stamina at the other end. But yeah, the pacers that are gonna say, fine, we're you know, we're gonna run nine ten or eleven deep or whatever. We'll have fresh bodies out there. So I'm not sure what the exact answer is there.
Speaker 1: All right, last thing on tonight, what's your gut say?
Speaker 2: I completely agree with And I think a lot of this does come from Jalen Brunson specifically, and Tom Thibodeau's well, But Jalen has this like stoicism about him where he doesn't get high, he doesn't get low. After they beat the Celtics, he's the one that was yelling at his teammates to get into the locker room like nothing has gone down yet. So I agree that I think this group can compartmentalize and put Game one out of their minds. And I'm not asking you to pick because I I know you don't do that.
Speaker 1: But what's your gut tell you? What do you have a lean for tonight?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I mean I reflexively, you know, go with the home team, especially if they're just lost a game, right, like you know, the Knicks saying the NIXT going down oh two, which would stun me. But that said, when the Knicks stole game won from Boston, I thought, oh, yeah, of course Boston's gonna win Game two.
Speaker 9: Oops.
Speaker 7: And it's same thing with the Pacers and Calves. But it's been that kind of postseason where the Pacers beat the Calves in Game one in Cleveland, and I thought, of course Cleveland's gonna win Game two again. Oops. For your sake, I hope I'm I'm right this time. But yeah, I absolutely expect the Knicks to win. It wouldn't even surprise me if it were, you know, a pretty big gap, not a blowout, but just like win and win handily. Like I don't think we'll see the same kind of drama in the final minutes. But you just you just never know. I mean, I had a piece earlier this week basically saying like, welcome to the NBA's age of chaos, and it referenced all the things I just mentioned and many more. You know, whether it's Dallas jumping up in the lottery, whether it's just the volatility in the standings in the playoffs and two sixty win teams going down in the second round, and just across the board, like there is so much unpredictability about the NBA right now, and it cuts both ways, right There's aspects of it that make it really fun. There's a lot more suspense, and there really is this sense of you've just never known a given night what may happen. The flip side of it is being sixty win team guarantees or nothing, and that could be pretty frustrating for those teams and their fans. And it does just feel like it's harder to get to wrap our heads around, you know, any of it.
Speaker 8: So, but this is where we are.
Speaker 7: This is this is, you know, like I say, not just the age of parody, but it's the age of chaos.
Speaker 8: It is.
Speaker 2: It is all right moving out this way before we get to the nuts and bolts of the Western Conference Finals. Your reaction to Shay be An awarded MVP and any inside information as to why we all had to wait for so long for that announcement.
Speaker 7: It's weird how everybody latched onto that. I don't think this is all that much later than usual. I haven't looked up the dates.
Speaker 8: Maybe you have.
Speaker 7: The MVP always comes after all the other major awards, you know, the only thing that's still left right now is you know, I think, so we have the All Defensive Teams yesterday, we'll have all MBA tonight and then we'll be done. But MVP always comes after all the other big awards, aside from the two I just mentioned. And could they have done it during Denver OKC. So, like all I can tell you is this, there's a bunch of different factors. Right they announced The way things go these days, they announce all the awards, the major awards on TNT, so it's got to be on a Turner night in the playoffs, and Turner and ESPN divide up all these games. So that's one consideration. Another consideration is, as I understand that the league does not like doing awards major awards in the second week of a series. I think because it could become awkward, like you're not going to be to give shade like the MVP before Game seven against the Nuggets. That would have been, you know, a little uncomfortable. And I don't know they had a window the first week of that series. So it's just they're weighing a bunch of stuff and trying to figure out when to thread the needle.
Speaker 8: It's it's difficult.
Speaker 7: I don't think there was any plan to do it this way. It's just kind of the way it unfolded.
Speaker 2: So I'm starting to feel about Okay, see the way I felt about Boston a year ago.
Speaker 1: I just think to have a level that nobody else does.
Speaker 2: I was hesitant to just anoint them, even though the numbers and data probably says we should have been maybe quicker to do that. I just if you have not had a deep playoff run as a group together, I'm always a little bit skeptical. I don't know that it's as sweet, but I don't think Minnesota really has much of a prayer here. And I think if you're OKAYC you got to feel pretty good about your chances of not just going to the finals, but winning the whole thing.
Speaker 1: I mean, I feel like they're ready. Howard, what are your thoughts?
Speaker 7: They definitely look ready, There's no question. The last night's game was pretty pretty darn convincing, and you know, I thought this was going to be a much closer series. It still could you know it shifts in Minnesota. We'll see what happens. But you know, teams that are up too in a best of seven series in the NBA win the series ninety two percent of the time, so including six and zero in this postseason, So the chances are this thing is over, but we'll see how it plays out. The fact is, yeah, Oklahoma is everything that we've been praising them for since last summer when we were talking about them as being favorites, which is they're young, they're deep, they're super talented, and you know, they play incredible defense like the Timberwolves. It looks like there's just no time or space for them to get anything done offensively. You dribble one time too many, it's being poked away. You know, you turn your back on your defender for two seconds and there's there's a hand there and it's you know you want to then you know, rely on more more passing and ball movement, right, But like the second you throw one slightly off target past someone leaping into the passing lane and stealing it and running off for a fast break. So I don't know what you do about that. And the fact is, you know, Anthony Edwards does not have He's got good help around him in the sense of like he's got shooters and Julius Randall can do a lot with the ball in his hands. But you know as a Nick fan that you know Julius Randall kind of comes and goes, and he has suddenly disappeared again, and there's just not a second threat to keep the thunder, you know, honest for for Anthony Edwards benefit. So I'm not expecting some great comeback at this stage by the Timberwolves. And yeah, I guess we'll all be setting up camp in Oklahoma soon.
Speaker 2: Oh, look at the excitement in Howard's voice. Maybe you can get a Oklahoma City Indianapolis finals.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you'd love that. Yeah.
Speaker 7: I made the cracker earlier today on the Real Ones with with apologies to Oklahoma, but because we were the Logan Murdock my coast was saying something about, you know, parade in Oklahoma. I'm like, yeah, it's gonna last like two minutes and everybody's got to turn around and go back again, or that it'll be out in the field. But yeah, it's bad, right, It's yeah, I think that's where we're going. Not my favorite place on the NBA map. But but they're an amazing team. They've done a fantastic job, and I do not expect that anybody who comes out of the East is going to beat them either. So and then we can all start having premature discussions about whether or not they'll be a dynasty.
Speaker 2: Well, when the Jazz are in the finals in twenty forty seven, I can't wait to have you out here in Salle a coward, So we'll set you loose. I know you got some traffic to fight and enjoy the game tonight and stay to the.
Speaker 1: End, will you?
Speaker 8: I will try.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Appreciate such Howard back from the Ringer, one of our favorites. He's really not on Twitter much anymore, but you can find the link to his work on his Twitter page at Howard beck is where you find him, and he's also on Blue Sky as well. Appreciate Howard's tom He's brought to you today by our friends at IFA Country Stores. When the seasons change, if you're like any good coach, you'll put together your game plan for a healthy green lawn and you'll turn to the experts at IFA. Check out our four plus lawn care program everything you need to make your yard to hit. You know, I was waiting to learn a term that describes the way Zach pretends like he likes Pitbull and Tyres. Saliburton dropped it. It's are a farming. That's what he's doing. It's the very definition. It's the act of intentionally trying to appear cool or charismatic through actions or behaviors often perceived as exaggerated or artificial.
Speaker 1: We have the term.
Speaker 3: Now, can you use Pitbull for that?
Speaker 1: And Zach Harper or a farming on a Friday? Right?
Speaker 8: I wouldn't say, I mean, I don't think I'm trying to look cool. I just enjoyed the music. Whether you think that makes me look cool or not seems to be a projection of your own thoughts on what Pitbull is. So I think we just cracked the cake.
Speaker 2: Don't get psychological on me on a Friday. We don't need to go two levels deep. Had you had you ever heard the term are a farming before Halliburton dropped it because it was new to me, Okay.
Speaker 8: And I really hope I never hear it again. It founded real dumb, it did?
Speaker 1: It did?
Speaker 10: All?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 2: Well, while we're in the space. I don't know which target you want to aim at game one. I mean, like, there are so many different directions we could go. I referenced this earlier ro had Howard beck On when Jalen hit his step back three to make it a fourteen point game. As a Nick fan, I'm never gonna be like, yeah, it's over. But I just thought Indiana was out of time. Right at what point of that game, if at all, were you like, all right, that's it.
Speaker 1: There's no way the Knicks can lose this.
Speaker 8: So I'll tell you. I'll tell you. Actually my experience of the game, I mistimed when I thought that game was going to be over, like an idiot. So I actually planned to go to dinner with somebody at seven point thirty. They were late by a few minutes, so I'm just sitting outside a sushi restaurant watching on my phone. I had to stop looking at the game with thirty four seconds left. So with the five point game, they're in that replay review or thirty four seconds left in the fourth quarter, so they're in that review on the og foul, they're up what five point or whatever it was, thirty four seconds left. I'm like well, I mean, I know the Pacers can do this, but whatever. Three hours later, I checked my phone and I'm like, wait a second, Pacers won. I had like I didn't know, Oh my god, Like I checked my phone. I had like one hundred and forty text messages or something like that. Like I just it was. It was chaos in my phone. I had no idea. But what's funny is like up until that point when I when I when I saw it was my phone. You know, we had this live blog going on the athletic and when it was one eighteen one oh two, with like seven something left, James Edwards the third does a great job covering the next for us. You know, maybe cat had hit a shot or someone had hit a shot, and he's like, that's gonna do it. And Eric Name, who does a great job covering the bucks for us, is in there. He goes, guys, let's not cow this Pacers team out of have seen it too many times. And then you know when Jalen hits that that shot, you know I think someone else said it in Eric Name again, it's like, guys, don't count Pacers off. And then you know they made that little run and I think at the thirty four second mark, or maybe just before it, I want to say, Lot Murray for US was like, oh, this is a fake comeback, and Eric name again was like, guys, do not count this Pacers team that because he can't. They've got three times in this postseason. They just snapped a nine and seventy game losing streak of teams down fourteen or more with two fifty left, which is a weird stat. But somebody looked it up, so we should say it.
Speaker 1: It is a weird stat.
Speaker 2: But you know, there are so many things about it that were wild historic. It was a comedy of errors. It was a perfect storm for Indianapolis. And as much as it was about crazy shot making, Zach, I don't know if you've had a chance to go back and watch the end at all, but it was simply that this team was out of gas. Og stopped closing, which he never does. Josh Hart slipped twice, and then there was a back door cut where he's flat footed Jalen with multiple odd turnovers down the street. Kat was limping up and down. Oh Kat has a New York accent. Now, I don't know if you know, I don't know if you're aware of that.
Speaker 8: I'm sure that'll laugh.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, I sent you a tweet. I don't know if you check that out. But the fact of the matter is this Zach.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I've been listening to him interviewed since he was eighteen, never had a New York accent until now. But look, Tom thibodeau' is a hell of a coach, all right, But at some point, here's my question to you, can you get ten minutes out of Precious at YOUA? Can you get eight minutes? If you're gonna play your boy campaign, Precious at YOUA can give you ten minutes and Landry Shammick can give you eight. I know he probably won't, but what what do they have to do If you will not extend his rotation, then they can't get in a track meet. They have to do something tonight to make sure their best players don't look gassed at the end.
Speaker 8: You can't run with these guys like that's first and portant, like I know they played well. I know the Knicks played well. And if you don't have that overtime period and they don't give them that, you know that last shot or whatever, it all looks great, right, all right, you survived it and you you you wan it out everything, but the process of it is like you can't run with the pacers. They and the thing is like Cat's a pretty methodical score. Jamon Brunson's definitely a methodical score. Oh, Jan Ando, he's a methodical score. They should be slowing it down offensively. They should be trying to like, you're not going to slow Indiana down offensively, but you can slow the game down yourself on your end of the floor. And so I like, I just think it's a mistake to allow both stop you know, both offenses to be a quick pace. I'm with you. And what's funny about this is I kind of feel like before game one, we had had all the backlash to fifteen years of backlash against oh. I thought Tom Thibodeau's running guys and you know, playing too many minutes. I thought that was supposed to prevent that, Like, we got all this stuff kind of saying that that's no longer a thing, and then you know, day one, they run out of gas. Maybe we shouldn't just do that. Maybe we shouldn't dismiss fifteen years of something just because they won another game and got to the conference, like I'm with you, Like like if Campaign is on the court, precious can't be worse than Campaign. I've seen pressures chewing play. I get if you don't know if pressures the chewing guy. But like he can he can give you six minutes, five, he can give you three somewhere in the second quarter, three somewhere in the beginning of the fourth quarter.
Speaker 1: It's all you need.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, I get sticking to the plan, and I get sticking to what brought you here. But in the in the fourth quarter against the Celtics, it was one hundred and ten to seventy six with five minutes left, and Jalen Brunson is fighting over pick set by Xavier Tillman, and it's like, what are we doing? I mean, Delon Wright he like, I don't know, man. I actually thought one of my biggest takeaways from game one, and I didn't hear a ton of people dig into this. I thought Tom was out coached. He used his challenges way too early. He didn't stagger his timeouts. Carlisle had two challenges that he used late with two big plays.
Speaker 6: YEP.
Speaker 2: I think Tom Thibbott has some adjusting to do as well, if they want to get out of this series, or you can just be stubborn and probably lose your job at the end.
Speaker 1: Of the year.
Speaker 2: I mean, because I think that's where we're headed if he refuses to adjust a little bit.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Like I thought if they got to the conference finals, his job was safe. But if you lose to the Pacers, I don't know if that's true. And that's not a shot. That's not me taking a shot at the Pacers. I just don't know if James Dolan's going to feel that way, right, Like, that's that's the person you have to kind of convince and historically not the most rational guy, you know, not the clearest thinker there. Yeah, I don't think. I don't think there's any shame in getting out coached by Rick Carlisle, But the way he got out coached, I'm with you, like, I think that's bad. I do not know what is this obsession in this postseason with some of these coaches using challenges early on the most like Mundane place, Like, I don't like Carlisle played it right, He had his chat like you said, he had challenges late for plays that mattered, not some dumb challenge in the first half. That really doesn't like unless it's a guy picking up a third foul, like a star picking up a third foul. I don't think I would ever challenge in the first half. I don't get it. I don't understand that. And Tom Thibodeau is one of those coaches that will do it, and he just like he can't be so sobborn. I know it got them there, and I know, like, oh, they're so conditioned now and they're ready for these big mens and everything. Not really, not really. They're a good team and they are well coached to a degree, and they know their identity. But you do have to be adaptable, like they You're not so good that you have to force everybody to adapt to you, right.
Speaker 2: And there were two occasions, one from Halliburton and the other from Turner in the first half. And look, every NBA player, whenever they commit a foul and they think it's questionable, they turn around, they do the thing.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's review the thing. They I'll do it.
Speaker 2: But there were two occasions that I took note of. Halliburton was called for a foul in the first half. He turns to the bench and he does the thing Okay, let's review it. And Carlisle basically told him to shut up. He said, go play, and then he did the same thing to Miles Turner about two minutes later, and I took note. I'm like, he's saving his challenges, which is what you should do. And the challenge Tom used on the Jalen offensive foul was beyond dumb.
Speaker 1: I don't know who told him to do that. It was clearly a foul.
Speaker 2: They were not going to win that. So ultimately that brings us to tonight. Do you have a lean? I mean, I feel like there's a stoicism to Jalen Brunson that I respect. Like after the Knicks beat the Celtics, he's summarily dismissing the celebrations and telling his teammates to go to the locker room. I don't anticipate, Like I know, the media narrative is like, hey, there's gonna be a hangover. There's no coming back from that, and that was a horrible, damn loss. I'm not saying it's not, but I feel like the Knicks, you're going to respond tonight.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 2: I don't know if their coach is going to a just enough to give them gas at the end to win the game.
Speaker 1: But I don't feel like all is lost.
Speaker 2: Tell me where your your head is at as far as the game tonight and the rest of the series.
Speaker 8: It's a bad loss. I don't think it's like this gut punch they can't recover from. Yeah, I mean, if you think about it, even if like the end of regulation, yes it's a collapse because they gave up a fourteen point lead in two minutes and fifty seconds. They scored on seven of their last ten possessions like that.
Speaker 10: That's the thing.
Speaker 8: They weren't giving the ball away the whole time and missing shots badly like they scored. The problem is they just came up three pointers in Aaron Neith Smith every time, like they were trading one for three, two for three every time. And so I do think it's fluky. I don't think it was. I think overtime was kind of was more of an indictment on the bad things about that team. I don't think the end of regulation was. I think that was a fluke. I think this is this isn't some young team that rattled. I think it's just a team of veterans that will be fine. I think Jalen Bruns as the leader is going to make them fine. I think they'll probably win. I also think teams keep underestimating this Pacers team, and this Pacers team is capable of winning the championship.
Speaker 2: They're really good and I've been wildly impressed. And you know, ultimately, I do think the Knicks have some size down low that the Pacers don't. But the Pacers have the depth at the Knicks don't. It makes it yeah, really really fascinating. But I know you don't have a ton of time today, So let's move out this way and before we talk, Okse t Wolves chase the MVP.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you think do you think that was the right call?
Speaker 8: I voted for him? Yeah? I think so. Here the season no one else has ever had. Their team was dominant, and he was the best player they you know, they there was a massive difference with him on the court versus him off the court. Like I don't fault if you if you voted for Jokis and thought he was it, But if you dismiss Shaye as an MVP candidate, I think you've got a weird agenda.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well said, And I would not have had an issue with anyone who Jokic, but I agree with you.
Speaker 1: I believe Shay was the red call. All right. So I said this earlier with Howard, I'll repeat it to you.
Speaker 2: And this is not breaking news because if you've watched them all year, you know that they have a level that maybe nobody else has. Boston had it last year and I started to feel like no one was going to touch the Celtics, and I'm starting to feel like nobody's touching Okac. I'm always very hesitant to anoint the team that has never had a deep playoff run, and that was kind of my hesitancy, like, let's see how you guys respond. And you know, a couple of moments first Denver that weren't great. But Denver is a team that has one of the best players of this generation and won a championship a couple of years ago. I feel like they're ready, man. I feel like I'm ready to say that today that I feel like they're ready. I don't think the Wolves has what it takes to come back and win four. I think they can get one at home, and I don't think either New York or Indiana has the level Okasee has when they are maximizing their ceiling.
Speaker 1: What are your thoughts.
Speaker 8: I think Indiana could challenge them. I do, like I think Indiana's got the depth to do it and the style of play to maybe mess some things up. But it would take a lot of like hitting your peak at the right time.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 8: But yeah, I mean, okay, so he's just super impressive. I actually I disagree with a lot of people, like I think Minnesota. Minnesota should have won Game one, And I know you look at the final score and think that's ridiculous, but Minnesota went eight of thirty on wide open three point shots and it was good shooters taken. It's not like it was a bunch of a bunch of bums getting these corner open corner shots because it was being funneled there. Like Devincenzo, Alexander Walker nas reed, Mike Connley like these were forty percent wide open shooters who were missing wide open shots. And I like, I they should have been up, you know, fifteen eighteen points in the first you know, at halftime they were up four and we you know, okay, s he's the best third quarter team in basketball and they're going to make that run. It's different when you have the fifteen to eighteen point cushion versus the four point cushion. You know, like, I just think that's different. Also, this was a ten point game with four minute minutes left in a game where they just they missed so many open threes. So I actually think Minnesota probably should have won that game. Game two, you see the cracks there, right, You see the frustration of Minnesota, and it's really starting to get to them, the disparity and how the game's being officiated. And I'm not even saying this is this is a they're losing because the rest they even if it's not the case, they feel it is and they're letting it get to them, like they are whining through this stuff, like they're they're letting the frustration instead of just playing and being physical and just playing their way. They're in between zone because of it. Defensively, and I do think okay, See gets away with more more contact defensively than what Minnesota is. Okay, you got to adjust them, like you just got to figure it out. You can't just throw your hands up and start pushing and pouting and everything like you gotta you gotta figure it out. And so like they're they're struggling a little bit. Mentally, I think they'll be I think things will change at home. It Like it really wouldn't shock me if it was two to two going back to okay See, but I like, I mean, okay, she's going to win the series. But I think I don't think Minnesota is going to shoot this poorly the whole time. I mean they're getting they're generating good looks. They cut down on the turnovers. The problem is when they force turnovers, they're dead ball turnovers. When okay See force turnovers, they're all live ball turnovers, Like they just there's there is this disparity there. And and we always talk about a team getting hot offensively, Okay see gets hot defensively. They go on these like runs defensively they're just crazy impressive.
Speaker 1: Yeah they do.
Speaker 2: And when they dial it up a notch with that length and that size, it just.
Speaker 1: Feels like the Minnesota's up against it.
Speaker 2: And last thing before I say you lose, I mean, you know, I said this to a lot of my friends last year watching the Knicks in the playoffs, like what do you think, well, what do you think about Julius Randall? Is your second option? Offensively and look, I'm not taking anything away from what he's done so far, but last night I was like, yeah, that's kind of who he's been spring basketball.
Speaker 1: They need more from him, Zach if they're going to get back in this.
Speaker 8: Yeah. I said this in a video for today where you know he was great for he was great for too much. He played the best basketball of his career for the last two months they did, and then he turned into a pumpkin yep in game two and I said, this is all this is our bad with Like, you don't talk about a perfect game during a perfect game, right, you don't address it, Like that's what happened. Like everyone started to be like, oh, Julius Randall, he's really good, and now it feels like it's ruined. And yeah, like I mean maybe good because that player options coming up instead of needing a new contract. Yeah, like Julius Randall, maybe he gets back to it. I still think he's you know, he's definitely better than what he was last night, but they need him to be perfect. They need to be perfect and they need to hit these outside shots to have a chance to win these games. And then even then, like you, like you were talking about Okay. See, they just have a gear that and hit that gear every game that no one else can touch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep, we'll see what happens though.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 1: Enjoy the game tonight. I appreciate the time. Have a good long weekend.
Speaker 8: Okay, all right, buddy, thank you, all right.
Speaker 2: Zach Harper from The Athletic at tak Hoops on Twitter is where you find his work, a bunch of different pods, a bunch of different videos for the Athletic and writes their weekly power rankings. He is a voter for MBA Awards as well. Appreciate Zach's time on this Friday afternoon. He's brought to you today by our friends at x Clear. Allergy season is here. If it's hitting your hard, X Clear has got your back. X Clear as a nasal spray powered by xylotol, a natural ingredient that flushes out allergens and hydrate your nose. X Clear helps rinse out pollen, dust, mold, and airbone airborne irritants. It's not just saline. Xylotol helps keep your nose cleaner and healthier. Great for spring allergies, pet dander, or anytime your nose feels stuffy or dry.
Speaker 1: I've started using it, and honestly it's a game changer.
Speaker 2: Available at xclear dot com, Amazon, in your local grocery or drug store. X Clear Doctor recommended, and save four kids too. If you're tired of farmer products to knock you out. X Clear is a natural way to breathe easy. So Nick Pacers Game two tonight Madison Square Garden, and then obviously the Western Conference Finals resumes tomorrow. They're gonna head up to Minneapolis to see if Minnesota can get back in this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Porter, you know this, I mean, you know.
Speaker 2: One of the fun things about when the Knicks are in the playoffs is I reconnect with a lot of kids. I grew up with a lot of friends of mine from junior high and high school. And last year when the Knicks were kind of playing better and it looked like they were going to be a playoff team that maybe could do something, they would all ask me like, so, what do you think about their chances of I don't know, maybe winning the East or going to the Eastern Conference Finals. And the calculation for the Knicks for a couple of years was like, if Jalen's your best player, what do you make of Julius Randall being your number two option.
Speaker 1: And I want to be clear, I think Zach made a good point.
Speaker 2: For about a month and a half, even I was like, wow, you know, wait, he's playing basketball in the spring in a much more efficient, engaged way on both sides of the floor. He was guarding. He's a big, physical kid. He was an All star in LA. I mean, he's not a bad player. But I think the issue with Minnesota is that if Ant isn't necessarily making miracles happen, and Julius isn't going to be engaged Like Jade McDaniels is a good player, can you rely on him to be a number two Dante DiVincenzo off the bench?
Speaker 1: He has not shot well all playoff long.
Speaker 2: I think Nikill Alexander Walker is given in great minutes, but the number two option for them has to be Julius Randall offensively. And if that's the calculation, and if you've watched Julius Randall play spring basketball enough, you kind of know at some point he's going to come back down to earth, and we saw it last night.
Speaker 3: Well, the problem with Julius Randall is.
Speaker 4: I've always liked what he brings as a player in certain forms, but he is one of those kind of archetypes that is matchup dependent. Right, So in a certain matchup against a certain lineup, you're gonna see Julius Randall look like in all NBA type forward and we saw that at times with New York. But if you throw in a lineup that can match his physicality or a lineup that bothers him with length and kind of forces him out of the paint, it doesn't allow him to be a bully on the offensive glass, right. The things that he really does kind of succeed in. Man, it really turns into a situation where also the defensive end spence, if you get a guy who can beat him on a first step or makes him move latterly a lot, spaces the floor a little bit, He's he's kind of matchup dependent on both sides of the ball. So that's the real problem is that, Yeah, you really like the Julius Randall you see at certain points, but you throw a different player out there, all of a sudden, you see a different player and that can be frustrating. Players like Karl Anthony Towns, although he has different things that he struggles with He's seven foot can handle, can shoot, can There's not many matchups that are problems for him. It's different things to get to.
Speaker 2: And the thing with Julius and this isn't necessarily something that's exclusive to him and Tom Thibodeau has talked about this in the past. When he is not scoring, when he is not shooting it well, he doesn't card yep, disconnected, defensively, gets down on himself, gets frustrated.
Speaker 1: You can see his body language.
Speaker 2: And that's why Chris Finch just sat him in the fourth quarter and went with Nas reed.
Speaker 1: He decided to go with Nas and Rudy.
Speaker 2: By the way, Oklahoma City is intentionally going at Gobert over and over and over again, and it's when Shae and Jalen have the ball in their hands. I saw Shae cancel three different actions last night to get Hartenstein to the top of the key to just get the switch. And the nice thing about Shay is that it's not a switch to take a step back three. He wants to cross you over and pull up from fifteen feet when he gets to a spot. He has evolved into a place where he is as elite as any individual score in Pro basketball.
Speaker 4: And you'll remember me saying this before Game one. I'm not one who falls into the Rudy gets played off the floor narrative. You know, I think that that is very often overblown and very often unfair because of the situations that the Jazz put Rudy in for a long time, because of the personnel they failed to put around him. Now, what I said before Game one of this series was that while that narrative is usually unwarranted, this is a series where because of the personnel, because of the spacing the floor that okay see has, because of the length that they can sometimes throw out there, this is a series where Rudy may have to adjust some of the way some of the ways he plays. He's gonna have to switch out a lot, and he might not be playable at certain moments through certain stretches in this series. Right, And that is I think kind of where there is some truth to that discussion. But a lot of times it's not based on Rudy. It's based on the personalities playing against Yeah.
Speaker 2: And also to your point, it's never really been about we want to go at Rudy to play him off the floor. It's that we want to go at Rudy in high pick and roll to get him away from the rim and get him trouble exactly. So we can't have one of the best shot blockers this generation protecting the rim.
Speaker 1: Let's get him out and pick and roll switch.
Speaker 2: Let's get him on the perimeter and that way, even if he's able to successfully guard an individual one on one, boom boom, boom, you move the ball, go to the basket.
Speaker 1: He's not there.
Speaker 2: I mean, there are several reasons to do this, and typically Rudy is able to hedge and recover better than most people give him credit for.
Speaker 1: But man Okac is going right at him.
Speaker 2: We got Mike Cam from the NFL Network stopping by to talk some off season NFL grown men will be allowed to push other grown men in the tush once.
Speaker 1: Again coming up for this NFL season.
Speaker 2: It's been a massive storyline, so thank goodness we have some clarity on that. Andy Larson sawl a tribune. But time now to talk a little golf. Charles Schwab challenged going on in the world of the PGA Tour.
Speaker 1: Colonial Country Club.
Speaker 2: A lot of fun local golf storylines, including me having a good front nine at Bonaville in a horrible back nine today, Paul Pugmyer, I think that's where we lead right my round.
Speaker 1: We should break it down hole by hole.
Speaker 9: Let's do it, and let's see if there's anybody on the golf course pushing each other in the dish.
Speaker 1: Well well played, sir.
Speaker 2: We will not break down my round from today, but I will ask you for a slight tip.
Speaker 1: Do you mind if I do that?
Speaker 8: Please?
Speaker 2: I've developed this odd tendency of coming over the top and pulling everything because I'm trying to fix my slice. How do I stop from coming over the top on my golf swing?
Speaker 9: There are some drills you can do that involve just placing some itemsund in front of the ballun on the range and swinging the club to the right of them. Put a stick in the ground, an alignment rod in the ground in front of you, and try to start the ball to the right of the stick. When it initially starts flying off your club. That will make you less focus on your swing. Lets your natural athleticism take over. If you're looking at where do I want the ball to go? Focus on where you're starting the ball, and that will bring the club into the path it needs to be.
Speaker 2: I always so much appreciate the fact that you claim I'm this natural athlete that needs to just lean into my athleticism.
Speaker 1: When I play golf, it means a lot ball, So thank you.
Speaker 9: Hey, one of us played for Rickman, Jerris and the Ristlers, didn't I think it's real.
Speaker 1: Well, that's not entire like, Okay, a few months, but you know whatever.
Speaker 2: Okay, one more tip day. How do I sink every single putt within twelve feet?
Speaker 9: You don't, Okay, putting is hard, and not every good putt goes in, not every bad put stays out. I would focus on making sure that your next putt is a tap d no stress, something you don't have to mark. And if that is your goal, it's attainable, it's doable, and it focuses you on getting the speed right and then pets will just start falling because they will. But keep in mind that the break even point for the on the PGA Tour, the two hundred best players on the planet, the guy's visiting from Krypton, the break even point is eight feet. Inside eight feet, they start making more than fifty percent. Outside of eight feet, they start making less than fifty percent. So at twelve feet you're making the best players on the planet. They're making less than fifty percent. We should not expect to be better than that.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm glad you brought up the pros.
Speaker 2: I want to let's lean into this for a second because I was playing with our guy Richard Smith today Wes rough shout out our guy Wesley Roff. And you know, I've told you this before, and I want you to kind of elaborate on this.
Speaker 1: I think for the average.
Speaker 2: Golfer who's trying to get better, I think for the average golfer that maybe doesn't watch a ton of pro golf, the assumption is the pros just pure every shot and they did. You know they they hit every fairway, they hit every green. And as I told you when I went down to Bay Hill as an honorary observer, it was the first time I saw it up close. When I'm like, dude, they're not perfect. They just figure it out. They problem solve right, like they know how to problem solve. So elaborate on that a little bit. As you've watched the professionals, both on the men's and the women's side, what really makes them different? Now their misses are different than ours. And I'm not saying like it's not more pure than the average golfer.
Speaker 1: It clearly is. But they're not perfect, Paul, are They.
Speaker 9: Not even close? And I really appreciate the way you say that. I love your term problem solved. Let's use that Golf is a presentation of a series of problems, a series of questions that it is asking you to solve. And these guys are good at solving the question. Now, they will hit great shots, that's true. Their misses are smaller than ours, that's totally true. And on occasion there is just staggering greatness. The highlight reel that a Tiger Woods puts together are just incredible. But I want to really focus on something that Tiger said a couple three years ago, and he was asked to say, you know, what was it about your two thousand and two thousand and one dominant period in the game. He thought for a minute, and he shrugged, and he said, I was a pretty good lag petter. Well there's yeah, there's a lot in there, and well look at what there isn't He didn't talk about being a great ball striker, though he was. He didn't talk about hitting a series of incredible shots. Though he did what he talked about was taking care of the basic business. He executed double plays. If you're going to go baseball, he executed layups if you're going to go basketball. He took care of lagging the putt into the first putt into a place where he had no stress on the second, and so he didn't give shots back. And so now you're going to go full circle. That brings me to the real thing that they do. The superpower that these pros have is that they don't give shots away. They make pars by scrambling, they make pars by playing smart, and then they go on to the next hole and see if it presents an opportunity for a birdie, and if it doesn't, they make a par and they rinse and repeat. They don't give shots back, and that's their superpower.
Speaker 2: Okay, Paul, I have learned lessons from you and others that know the game in a way that I don't that we do not say, wow, that's kind of tiger ish or he's kind of reminded me of Tiger that and I understand that what Tiger did during I don't know, maybe a three or four year period is something that we have never seen before and potential we'll never see again. But I haven't talked to you since the PGA Championship. And look, man, he's healthy now. And by he everyone knows who I'm talking about. Scott, He's healthy now and based off of what he did, did he year ago and now that he's got another major in his back pocket. Just you put the context around really what we're watching when he is at the top of his game.
Speaker 9: We are looking at Tiger esque performance. We are in addition, we are looking at Jack Nicholas performance, and that is the rarest air in the game. We're talking about somebody with three majors and the players by their twenty eighth birthday, that's a group of three. It's Jack Nicholas, it is although Nicholas didn't have the players because by his twenty eighth, because they didn't have it yet. But it's Jack Nicholas, it's Tiger Woods, and it's Scotti Scheffler. But in addition, when you dig into the underlying performance statistics, when you look at the greens in regulation, the proximity to the whole, the bogie avoidance, which is a huge stat that very seldom gives the do it deserves when you look at these underlying performance stats, Scheffler is on that level of performance with Tiger Woods, with Jack Nicholas. He is twenty eight years old. Generally you figure that for a golfer, their prime years are thirty to thirty six. He's coming, he's still looking forward to his prime yeers, and he is statistically dominant. Right now, we are talking about a person who is on the cusp of and has potential to establish a career on the par with the Tiger Woods and the Jack Nicholas. Now, now that I say that, though, we have to pump the brakes just a little bit. The world of sports is so full of early stars that don't maintain and carry it forward over the intervening years. We have yet to see if Scheffler can do it for the next ten years, but all of the underlaying indicators say that he will.
Speaker 2: Okay, who is most likely to be his? Oh, man, you're gonna have to tell me here?
Speaker 1: His Phil?
Speaker 2: His Phil Nicholson? Who was Jack's main competitor? Was it Arnie Like? Who is most likely to be Scotty's? I guess I'll say antagonist. If Scotty's the protagonist.
Speaker 9: Yeah, what a fun question. So for Nicholas it was it was Arnold Palmer and Gary Player, although Billy Casper utah z owed. Billy Casper was right there, but a very quiet personality, and so he didn't get a lot of news. And you're correct to identify Phil Nicholson. But in addition to Phil, it was Ernie Els and VJ. Singh for Tiger. So who for Scottie? What a fun question. I think it's going to come from players younger than him right now. I think it's going to come from players like Luke Clanton, this college kid who is is coming up in making a lot of noise. We're going to see younger players coming out of college and doing things that there just wasn't the institutional support for them to do in previous generations. Because the path to the PJ Tour is now open to college stars in ways that it wasn't before. So that's a fun question. I'm going to have fun thinking about it and watching it. But right now, I think it's going to come from a younger generation, not his age peers, not Scotty's age peers.
Speaker 2: Right now, all right, Paul Kind of a random little bit of a non sequitur. But we're halfway through the major championship season with a couple of majors now behind us, and we're four months away from the Ryder Cup.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Luke Donald.
Speaker 2: Obviously Captain Keegan, you know, which is kind of a fun story. Some tough decisions, as there is every single year. My first question in this scope of our conversation is will Tony now make the Ryder Cup team.
Speaker 9: Today? He certainly wouldn't, and so he would need to change his arc and trajectory and do it quickly. I think that he has to play well in the remaining majors, in particular at the US Open at Oakmont, And the reason for that is, first of all, it is Oakmont, for crying out loud, the biggest, baddest US Open course there is. And if you think US Open, you think traditional US Open, Oakmont is the answer to all your questions. And this is such an incredibly demanding golf course and so doing well at Oakmont will be necessary for Tony to be able to make the Ryder Cup team. And part of the reason for that is that it's just playing the US Open. But the other half of the reason is that the Ryder Cup will be at beth Played Bethpage Black, and beth Page Black is a big bad golf course too, and so demonstrating the ability to play big bad golf on a big bad golf course that is going to be necessary. The opportunity comes at the US Open the second week of June. It will be at Oakmont. Watch the US Open carefully. The Open Championship, the British Open port Rush this year a different kind of golf and it will require a different kind of play. Not as big as Oakmont, but then again, very few things are. It requires more subtlety, it requires more art, but a different kind of test at port Rush that it is where the entire world is watching. Tony has to play well in the two remaining majors to make the Ryder Cup team.
Speaker 2: Obviously, Scott he is a lock. Any other locks right now as you see it, Paul.
Speaker 9: As nobody is locked as Scotty. Sure, Sure, We've just got too many points out there yet to be awarded. So no, I think the answer is no.
Speaker 2: It feels like Xander's in a good spot. It feels like Bryson's in good spot. It feels like JT is in a good spot.
Speaker 1: Maybe more cowa.
Speaker 9: Let me throw they have to not fall on their face.
Speaker 1: Sure, sure, let's it's just too early to say, let me.
Speaker 2: Throw one more thing at you here, though, because when I first asked you whether or not Keegan Bradley should pick himself, you were emphatic that he should not. Now maybe you feel still feel that way. But he has six top twenty fives in his first eleven starts. He tied for eight that the PGA Championship. He is outside the top six as of now, But if he keeps playing, even if he's maybe seventh or eighth.
Speaker 1: Have you changed your stance.
Speaker 2: On whether or not Keegan should select himself to play while he serves as captain.
Speaker 6: I have not.
Speaker 9: I think that the captaincy is such a demanding role that it requires all of his attention, and I think he would undermine his ability to give total focus to playing if he were a player and the captain. So even if he were to get himself in by points, I personally think that he should focus on being the captain. He's inside the ropes and I'm not He's smarter than me and a better player than me. But from my perspective, everything says if you're going to be the captain, be the captain. And he's the captain.
Speaker 1: All right. There is a tournament going on right now. It is.
Speaker 2: It's not a great field. Scott He's in the field, but he hasn't played that well. He is tied for forty seventh for the Charles Schwab Challenge down at Colonial Country Club in Fort Worth. So tell us about the track, tell us about the tournament, then we'll find out what's going on with the n and find out what's going on with the show.
Speaker 9: Sure, thank you. The Schwab Challenge Colonial. This is one of those traditional lovely tournaments that kind of got the short stick when the PGA Tour went to this elevated tournament status thing that they're doing now, because it's a tournament with a lot of history, and yet it doesn't draw the big field because it doesn't offer as much money or as many points, and that's really unfortunate. This is a wonderful tournament on a great golf course with a great history, and I wish it got a stronger field, but it doesn't. Scotty's playing in it because it's a little bit of a hometown thing, and he gave the sponsors his commitment he would go, and he did, and he showed up. Go Scotty. I admire that he's not playing particularly well. What was like something like okay, yeah, Now that raises an interesting thing. Playing well the week after a major win is so stupid hard that we still will talk about when Bernhard Langer won at Heritage the week after he won the Masters, now it's forty five years ago, because it's just so hard. Winning a major takes so much out of you mentally, physically, emotionally, in every way. You're left depleted by the time you win a major. And so you know, Scotty remained standing for seventy two holes. It's pretty impressive. The week after he won the PGA in the manner in which he wanted. I mean, you know, keep in mind, going into the back nine on Sunday, there were a lot of people in that tournament and Scotty had to dig deep and turn on the gas and go win the thing, which he did. But it's it takes a toll, and so the very next week for him to peg it and let it fly, there's no reason to expect him to do very well at all. I don't think.
Speaker 6: Good.
Speaker 9: But anyway, it's unfortunate that a tournament with this history doesn't get a good field.
Speaker 2: It all right, Paul, Before I say you lose, We've got I think aute and several BYU golfers playing well in the NCAA's So I would imagine that will be a topic of conversation, maybe the topic du jour, as they say in the business.
Speaker 1: What's coming up on the show tomorrow?
Speaker 9: Absolutely we're going to be talking about the NCAA Finals. The Cougars made it as a team. They won the regionals, first time since regionals were established some ten twelve years ago that DYU has actually won a regional, although they've come out of regionals into the NCAA Finals many times. So they are at La Costa in carlsbat, California. As a team. The youths were one stupid shot short of qualifying to go on to play in the Nationals. However, their horse, Braxton Watts, won the regionals individually, so he is there as an individual they have. The morning Wave has completed its work down at LaCosta this morning. The afternoon wave is just getting going here about an hour ago, so we really don't know where scores are coming in yet. But there is an interesting sidebar to this. The stroke play portion of the tournament will be played today, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. Brigham Youam University doesn't play on Sunday, so the NCAA accommodated them by letting them play their round three yesterday. They already have their third round score in the books. They shot plus one as a team in their third round score. We don't yet know what that means, whether it's really good or not so good, but we do know what it is. They shot plus one for their Sunday round and it's done. We're going to see how that all plays out.
Speaker 2: Paul, thank you sir for the time. Have a great show tomorrow and we will catch up soon.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Stavi, Paul pugmyer Utah Golf Radio every Saturday morning on our radio station. The eyes of the PGA Tour are on the Charles Swab Challenge going on right now at the Colonial Country Club and Fort Worth, Texas, where some guy named Ben Griffin as lead. I don't know many of these golfers. Ricky Fowler is in the mix. Scottie Scheffler's in the field, he's not playing well. Jordan Speak's gonna miss another cut. So a few big names, you know what goes well with golf here? How about that our good friends at Rooster's Brewing four locations, two in Ogden, one when Layton of course, the airport as well.
Speaker 1: Roostersbrewingco. Dot com. Let's welcome in the head brewer.
Speaker 2: He's very important up in Ogden, Colton on a Friday afternoon.
Speaker 1: Happy Friday, Colton. How you doing I'm doing it well. How it's yourself good?
Speaker 2: So how'd you get into this? How does one become a head brewer? How did you get into this whole thing?
Speaker 1: Oh goodness?
Speaker 11: Kind of a kind of an apprenticeship thing for me. I start working at Roosters when I was seventeen years old as a busser and kind of worked my way up hosting, serving, bartending, and then Physician opened up, and yeah, it brought me in and taught me everything I know.
Speaker 1: Very nice. Well, celebrating thirty years this summer.
Speaker 2: It's one of my favorite spots, going it back to nineteen ninety five and historic twenty fifth Street where it all began, So tell us Colton about the Hibiscus Sour or this two bit Amber that.
Speaker 1: You guys are brought in the studio.
Speaker 2: What do we know about these What do we need to know about these beers?
Speaker 11: Alrighty, So with the Hibiscus Hour, that's one of our newer fays that we've got. It's a nice, pretty level sour. It's not overly, it's not it's got some nice, full characteristics to it and all that that you get from the biscus. It's for the sour heads, and it's a good introductory sour for people that I've never really.
Speaker 1: Tried it before.
Speaker 11: And then with our two Bit Amber, that's just kind of throwback to one of our first beers that we came up with twenty five thirty years ago.
Speaker 1: So very nice.
Speaker 2: Roosters now with two family friendly brew pub locations as well as a twenty one plus tap room in Ogden, fresh food pairings and throwbacks to the original menu are being featured all summer long. Like I said, cheers to thirty years. It's heading now into the Memorial weekend. Now I'm looking forward to one of our favorite events of the year. It's the Ofoam which is an independent bluegrass festival in Weaver County. Roosters will be pouring beers all ofo am long Friday through Sunday. Made the thirtieth to June the First Go Try Anniversary two bit amber Ale, Colton.
Speaker 1: I appreciate your time, man, have a great weekend. We'll chat soon as well.
Speaker 2: Thank you all right, good friends over at Rooster's Brewing again four locations two and Ogden one in Layton.
Speaker 1: There's one of the airport as well.
Speaker 2: More information can be found at Roostersbrewingco dot com. Team Minors two hours tip off Madison Square Garden Game two New York Knicks Indiana Pacers. Oh goodness, you know what our next guest. I know he's a football guy, but he's a New York guy.
Speaker 1: Mike, how are you?
Speaker 8: Pal?
Speaker 6: Well? I was good until you just kind of like planted the seed of what happened the other night at MSG. I don't I don't need that reminder. So yes, definitely a high level of frustration watching the Indiana Pacers win that game of the way that they did.
Speaker 1: Dude, I still can't believe it.
Speaker 2: I didn't sleep, I honestly didn't because I was having I was oscillating between Tyrese Halliburton and Reggie Miller putting their hands around there. Yeah, and then Reggie's shots and Mark Jackson shimming and the Davis brothers beating up Charles Oakley and look, I mean, as a lifelong fan of this team. Two part question, what's it been like to at least watch them be relevant again? And just how heartbreaking was game one? Three part question? And are you confident they can get back into it tonight?
Speaker 6: Definitely confident on winning tonight, like we'll get it done. That's the fan of me thinking very very positively, which, by the way, and you know this as as a sort of a Nick fan. When you when you suffer, you know, a quarter centre of some of the struggles, it's easy to get negative and quite frankly doubt what your team is capable of doing. This does feel like a different vibe though, around this particular NIX team. So definitely confident from that perspective, feel a lot of the pain that you're describing, because honestly, when Haliburton mimicked the Reggie thing, almost threw something at the TV, I'm like, you got to be kidding me. Should be noted by the way Reggie and company. They did lose that series, for whatever it's worth, and you know, they obviously went back and forth and there were some great mega playoff series between the two teams during the course of the nineties. But I do feel confident that they can get this thing done. I forget what part two was in the question, and hopefully I'm covering that a little bit.
Speaker 2: Just as a lifelong fan of his team, since it's been twenty five years, how fun has it been to at least have them relevant on the scale again?
Speaker 1: Mike? Is he still there? Did you drop? I think so? It was a hard hitting question.
Speaker 2: Let's get it. Let's get him back on Mike Yam NFL Network. You guys probably know Mike from his time at the PAC twelve network. That's when we first were able to get to know him. We're interviewed mostly the NFL and college football, but Mike is a New Yorker, went to school there, and so I wanted to kind of kick the tires on what it's been like for him to watch this team.
Speaker 1: It is Team minus.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 2: One hour and fifty three minutes from tip off at Madison Square Garden, Game two, Nicks Pacers. We also have Oilers and Stars tonight. If you're looking for the hockey side of things, you can hear Oilers Stars Game two on our radio station, ESPN seven hundred. We are your home with the Stanley Cup Playoffs here in the market. We're also your home of the NBA Playoffs, so you can hear the Knicks and the Pacers Game two on the fan Take two with Mikey and Mike. We weren't able to hear the answer to the question, just curious how it's been for you to at least have this team relevant on this level again.
Speaker 6: For sure, apologize, I don't know. I'm in a place where I actually have full bars, so I don't know what happened there. Look, this is great, and I think I speak to any sports fan for any franchise who has had to do with some struggles and prolonged struggles, because this is when your team, when you suffer and you're watching these games and you just quite frankly become almost apathetic to your own team. That's the worst place to be. So when you get this invigorated sense of of sort of pride, like you know, I couldn't tell you the last time. You know, this season obviously, and we've got flashes of it, I think at times last year. But watching this team this season, you know, I think to myself, Oh my god, like we really have a chance here, and that's all you really care about, that's all you want. It's just an opportunity to try to win a championship. And you know, watching Cat sometimes like firesome threes, I do cringe and I think to myself, you could be the most dominant player on the floor every single night. Please park yourself in the paint and just work. And I get it, like you want that's part of his game, and when they go down, I certainly like it. But there's like I wouldn't even have this conversation with you normally, but because they're relevant and because you feel like they can win, it's really exciting.
Speaker 1: Are you in New York currently? Are you in the city?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 12: No.
Speaker 6: I actually was back in New York two weeks ago, and you could feel like this buzz that that's generating. And look, I think for anyone who hasn't been to New York before, but you might think of it a certain way. I'll tell you this. When the Knicks are good, and the Knicks are relevant. New York is a basketball town. We could talk about the Yankees. I wish we could say that about the Mets, but the reality is when the Knicks are rolling, that city is absolutely electric. I felt it when I was there in the nineties. There were some good seasons in the early two thousands where you know, they were good, just not quite good enough to get over that hump, and that city, it is awesome to be a part of it.
Speaker 2: Well said, all right, let's move on to some NFL stuff, Mike, And I'm just so glad that I can sleep well knowing the next season, grown men will continue to be allowed to push you other grown men in the toush like.
Speaker 1: Dude, you know what this is.
Speaker 2: This is a testament to how football starved we are in this country. Because I cannot believe how much attention this story is received.
Speaker 6: I know, I know, I'm so with you. And by the way, they got it right, I know it was close.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: A couple of our guys sort of indicated that this thing might not actually stay alive, which I always thought was ridiculous. This is football. This is a physical sport. The true definition is are my guys better than your guys. Are we stronger at the line of scrimmage and the fact that you just now have to figure out how to stop it? Like, why do we penalize teams for having success? Like what's the difference between that and the traditional I know what the difference is, but the traditional quarterback sneak versus the inside handoff. You know, guys just moving large bodies out of the way. That's essentially kind of what this is. And I don't think the Eagles should have been by the way, I'm a Giants fan. Don't like saying this, but the Eagles shouldn't be penalized for having success running a play that is hard for the opposition to go and stop. And defensive players and I've talked to them in the NFL they have all genuinely said the same thing. I would talked to one defensive guy that said it should be not included in the game and it should be banned. Every one of them says, look, don't love it, but we got to be better to stop it, and it's on us to go and do that. No one's wanting and crying. You just got to be better.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: As a massive fan, of the television show Succession. Nothing delights me more than the thought of billionaires arguing with each other. Just how just how tense was that meeting? Based off reports I've only read, I don't know, but what's your understanding of how tense that meeting was behind closed doors?
Speaker 6: Yeah, tense is maybe a good way of describing it. You look, when you have a subject like this that does create as much controversy as it did, which is once again surprising, and the team that had the most success running it was the team that won the Super Bowl, that's going to grab you know, a lot of ears of a lot of folks. And I think when you saw people grasping at straws talking about health and safety with that specific play without any data to support it, I think some of these folks in that real we're sort of grasping trying to make a compelling argument, And the fact that it got twenty two votes, you know, is sort of like telling, at least in my mind, like this thing was was relatively close. So you know, those debates got a little heated.
Speaker 2: Do you think maybe Jeffrey Laurie should have ran his speech past his PR team before he decided to drop, you know, the things that he dropped to draw the analogy of what it felt like to actually have a play that successful.
Speaker 6: You can say whatever you want when you go on to Super Bowl that fair, you can do what you can say, whatevery. Look for me, when when you look that rosters, it is solid right, like they're not going anywhere. They're going to compete, you know, essentially over the next couple of seasons, especially because of Saque, I feel like I'm like just down across the board as a Knicks fan suffering the loss the other night. Now I'm talking about the Giants indirectly because it's the Eagles and this success. But when when you're on the top, you can say what you want, You can do what you want until you get knocked off. And you know, like all that conversation about the Kansas City Chiefs being this dominant team, like Casey's got some holes, all of a sudden that we look at with that roster, the Eagles roster looks pretty darn good though right now.
Speaker 1: It does.
Speaker 2: It does, and like you said, they're wearing the ring, you know, and when you're on that level, you have a certain level of autonomy that you certainly wouldn't otherwise.
Speaker 1: But let me ask you this.
Speaker 2: A number of years ago, at a charity event in midtown Manhattan, I had a chance to meet Jim Mersy.
Speaker 1: I certainly did, never got to know him at all.
Speaker 2: And look, I mean speaking of eccentric billionaires and you know, very very wealthy people oftentimes just to have a different way of approaching life, for better or for worse. And I'm not judging one way or the other. A lot of people have come out with a lot of very kind things. I think Peyton's been great to provide some context around what Jim Mersay means to that city and that organization. But I don't know if you ever had a chance to get to know him a little bit. But if so, like what sort of made him tick? And what are your thoughts on is passing at the age of sixty five?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean certainly shocking in the sense of the age factor. You know, we had sort of heard these reports that things were declining a little bit and Jim wasn't in the greatest health. My paths never crossed with him, but certainly have heard some first hand accounts from from a few of my colleagues at NFL network regarding him and sort of the legend around him. You're right, Peyton. I've seen a bunch of interviews with him recently where Peyton has really painted a really positive picture and the impact that he's had. I mean, we saw Jim, you know, on Hall of Fame ceremonies around a lot of his players, and this endearment that you could see that went both ways was certainly special. But I think a unique character in a lot of ways, right Like when you look at that organization, the directions and the decisions that they've made, never shy about being public. Ian Rappaport the other day actually was telling a pretty interesting story when you know about Dan Snyder and and him being with with Washington at that point and obviously all the news that had come out. You know, Jim Urseley was the first one publicly to say, hey, like this is a fireble you know, offense so to speak, right where you can have a conversation that maybe he shouldn't have of you know, ownership a majority ownership of an NFL franchise, and you know, even looking back now and as I'm like telling that story that Ian had had shared with with a lot of folks on television. I think to myself, like, that's a people person. That's like a hey, I'm trying to do the right thing type of person, even when it might not be popular. Even in a room with other NFL owners, we're generally speaking, you might have some of those debates, but you know you're gonna there's gonna be a cohesiveness around you know, a particular subject like that you would imagine, or people aren't going to go public with it. Jim did go public with and I think that speaks to the character and the type of person that he was.
Speaker 2: So ultimately, the Niners had to pay him. They had to pay brock perty and that's just the deal. And so we can haggle over the number who he makes more than, who he makes less than. We can talk about the complicated dynamic of being able to build a really good team when your quarterback is not his rookie deal. And Seattle knows that with Russell Wilson, and then a lot of teams have learned that lesson. And so we have a lot of Niners fans around here, and certainly the roster had to be stripped down a little bit to pay their starting quarterback. But like I said, I don't know what other course of action they had.
Speaker 6: Mike don't have enough. There is no other course of action. And you look at, you know, the percentages around the NFL that quarterbacks are occupying on the salary cap. This deal's not that bad. I think it's like fourteen percent, you know, spensaf shitchy at text when this thing is done. I'll get to the exact number, but I think it's in that range. And to me, that's actually what makes this feel pretty good. I think it's gaudy when you look at the numbers over fifty you know, million dollars a year. I think I said this to you a couple of weeks ago. I you know, sometimes because of my time in the Bay Area, I'll hop on some of those radio stations there, and I had said, like, you know, I guess it was like a little bit of noteworthy because people made a thing out of it. But it was like, yeah, it's gonna get fifty million dollars, that's the going rate. Like that wasn't breaking news. That shouldn't have been shocking to anyone. But you know, you don't have much of a choice. You can't win in this league without that position being occupied in a meaningful way. So they absolutely needed him to sign, and they needed to get that deal done and structure in a way where they can still make potentially some other moves.
Speaker 2: So I will ask you about the Steelers Aaron Rodgers stuff because it's topical. I don't really care to talk much about Aaron on the show as a jet fan that saw that thing really falling flat on its face far before Aaron was hurt, quite frankly. But anyway, the Steelers have to do something, and the reports are they're still waiting and are willing to wait for a little bit while Aaron does whatever the hell Aaron's doing.
Speaker 1: How do you think this ends?
Speaker 6: I still think Aaron Rodgers is one of those those names that is always going to grab a ton of attention, and it's going to be a story that we're going to continue to track. I do think we're going to see him on an NFL football field. I still think it's going to be the Pittsburgh Steelers. I think they drafted accordingly based off of the premise that he was going to be there. I think this thing is going to go and be taken down to the wire here. I don't think Aaron's got any sort of need or desire to go through another arduous camp That said, I think when you go down this path like the Jets did, it becomes a little bit of a problem, right, Like the circus that's going to follow is significant. I know you know all about this. You and I have talked about the Jets a ton. I think the fact that they've had to go down the path that they did is telling. I think there's something still left in the tank for Aaron, if I'm being totally honest, I think you saw some flashes of that in the second half of the season. I think it's really hard to come off an Achilles injury, especially at that age, and be really effective. But I actually thought there were some good stuff that we saw from Aaron Rodgers in the second half of the season. So cautiously optimistic that this is a guy that might be able to give this team enough of a nudge to sort of get over the hunt, because there's some fundamental issues right now with that team. They're good, they're not great, and the worst position to be in the NFL is a good team because you're not going to pick that far up and you're just, you know, do you have a real chance of winning a Super Bowl? And that's really what it comes down to.
Speaker 2: I want to ask you a storyline surrounding one of our old PAC twelve pals. Of course, Caleb Williams in this book that Seth Wickersham has wrote, and Seth is a.
Speaker 1: Brilliant rider, does a good job.
Speaker 2: And you know, Mike, you remember there were these rumors out there that no one could really coroborate, that he didn't want to go to Chicago and his father didn't want him to play for the Bears. And then every time Caleb was asked about it publicly, of course you say the thing that you have to say to make sure you're still the number one overall pick. But these details that Caleb and his father attempted to circumvent the draft process to maybe land him anywhere other than Chicago certainly a rough look for a player that has to go back and try to lead this locker room once again?
Speaker 1: What do you make of this story surrounding Caleb Williams?
Speaker 6: So, I think there's a lot of layers here. Number One, you can make the argument that who would want to play in Chicago as a quarterback. So look at the history of that organization over the last twenty five years or so, haven't had success there. Their head coach at the time a defensive minded guy who quite frankly didn't ever really seem to figure it out at that position on the offensive side. So I can certainly understand the need and the desire not to want to play there, just off of face value and that situation. Playing also in Chicago. And actually one of my good buddies, Curtis Conway, who went to USC you just like Caleb, and then ended up playing you know, at Chicago. It was tough for him, Like he had told me a little bit about what that experience is like, playing in the cold and trying to to kind of deal with those conditions not always the easiest thing. So I'm sure they're a little bit of a factor there. And then here's the third layer. Tell me in recent history, where we've talked about a high level quarterback that's had this much attention, this much buzz, that didn't have some opinions in terms of his family and where they wanted him to go. You know, I mentioned, you know, being a Giants fan. I don't think it's the same sort of situation there with Eli Manning. But you know, quite frankly, like we knew what those reports were John Elway, you know, go even further back in time, like this is nothing new that we've seen in the NFL. But I do think it's a little bit of a harder look because of the current circumstances. But I do think Caleb can say, or you know, some some through another representative, it can sort of spin this and just say, look look at what this offense was, Like, this was going to be a tough sell to put this guy under the gun. And by the way, like you even saw that those first few weeks of the season in his rookie campaign, there were some real struggles and you start thinking, like, schematically, does this make sense? Should we, you know, be running the type of offense they got real run heavy after the firing of the refluse, And I think that actually helped, you know, Caleb sort of settle down a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you reference the Giants just out of curiosity.
Speaker 2: Of course, they bring in Russell Wilson and they have Jamis as the backup, but we didn't have It was kind of an outlier NFL draft cycle around here. Not a lot of Utes or Cougar's you know, drafted very high and hopefully a lot of them stick on rosters, the ones that were drafted late. But Jackson Dark played his high school ball about thirty miles south of the are I want or what early returns are with Jackson and you know, the early rookie mini camps and such.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the moxie. I think that's still like the biggest message. I have some friends that are still in that area, in the New York area, around that organization, and they'll tell you they've told me, and they would tell you the same thing. And that's this premise of the direction and the reason why they went with Jackson Dark. It was one of the things that you know, when I was working for the CW this past year, we had ACC football and we obviously had the Pac twelve, but Ole Miss was up on our screen, you know a few times, and it's because it's Jackson and I knew there was a petition for him to be you know, first round pick, and the fact that he was at SC at one point, you know, I was always kind of keep a close eye on sort of him and those offenses because they were they were sort of dealing, and the more I watched them, the more I said, there's a little bit of I know, I don't want to use a foul word, but like he's got a little something in him there, and you know, knowing day Ball and the type of offense that he wants to run in the personnel that he needs there and having that type of here and that dynamic in New York, Like that's meaningful. I always say this, and you know this because of your time in that city, and you've sort of asked me about sort of the vibe in New York. It is a different place and there is a different personality that you need to go and have, And I think like Cam'scattaboo is like a really good example. Like I think Cam is going to absolutely crush it in New York, Like he's got that type of personality. And I think Jackson Dart fits that mold as well.
Speaker 2: Speaking of quarterbacks, Mike, since you and I last spoke, and I was reminded our listeners earlier that we got to know you and a lot of people around here remember you from your time with the PAC twelve network, and you got to know Cameron Rising pretty well. And we've been waiting, Yeah, we've been waiting out here for a word about what he would do with his future. I fully anticipated and would certainly have had no problem with it at all, Cameron finding a place to play for another year and make a couple hundred k I mean, put the real world off as long as you want, young man. But we now know that unfortunately he asked him retire. He'll take over his the offensive coordinator at his alma mater in California. As we now officially know what his future is, how should Cameron rise and be remembered here in Salt Lake City.
Speaker 6: I think a winner, a leader, a guy that didn't necessarily give up at all. And I think that's been one of the key ingredients to that story. And I think it speaks to the type of player and personality and the profile of the guy that goes and plays on that campus. For Kyle Whittingham, I know, and you probably would agree with this, But the more I watched him, the more impressed I was. The more you talk to people around that team about him inside that locker room, what he sort of meant to that to that ball club, and really, you know, in a lot of ways sort of helping spearhead and settle down an offense that's been much aligned. I mean when I was in the league covering the thing every single day, like we always knew it what that defense was going to look like, We knew that was going to lead them, We knew that inside the trenches they were going to be good. But look, it was a revolving door at the offense sub coordinator spot, and it always felt like, you know, year after year we were talking about a significant injury to their quarterback and that was never an easy thing to go and watch when you felt like the expectation was high. But I think Camp should only be remembered for for all the positive that he did on the football field.
Speaker 2: All right back, before I say you lose another NFL offseason storyline that I've just I'll just ask you. So it's official that NFL players are going to be allowed to play flag football in the Olympics in twenty.
Speaker 1: Twenty eight, who are we playing against?
Speaker 2: Like, I'm just confused, world, this football is an innately American sport. It feels like we should play against each other, Like who out there can feel the team to compete with our NFL players, or is this ninety two dream team where we're going to be diagnola by forty every single game?
Speaker 6: So God, we could do a whole show on this. And I love where you're going because I actually haven't been asked this question before. Here's what I can tell you. The United States world rankings teams like Germany, Italy. If I'm not mistaken, Australia's got a pretty decent team as well. There are rankings. You can google them and you can see like who's done well? Right? The US team by a mile is dominating these rankings. I've heard the analogies with the dream team. You're a basketball guy, I'm a basketball guy. We both know the dynamics around the reason why that dream team came together and this. These are two different different paths for two different sports. I don't think it's a four gone conclusion and I might take some serious heat for this. I don't think it's a fore gone conclusion that some of the NFL players are not as good as some of the flag football players. It is a different sport, it is played differently, It is not the same. I would tell you if there was a draft and who the guys I'm taking everyone talks about Mahomes and Lamar Jackson. This thing is three seasons away, three football seasons away. Those dudes are going to be a little bit older. This is not what we see in the bowl games. Like these guys legitimately get after it. I would be concerned about soft tissue injuries. There's no pads. I think you're going to see two way players. Like to me, you know, Tarik Woolan is a guy. The other day someone asked me, like, Hey, who's someone you'd want. I want a speed guy like Wolan, Who's who's got experience as a wide receiver, place corner now, but he transitioned. Travis Hunter certainly comes to mind. He wants these freak athletes. But I do think there's a world where it's they're going to dominate. Whether it's NFL players or not, it's going to dominate. But I do think that the guys that have helped the United States rise up the rankings and help lead a charge to make this legitimately Olympic sport do deserve an opportunity to grab one of those roster spots. It would be very meaningful for them because they are the ones that prefer to put this sport on the map, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Mike, I appreciate the time.
Speaker 2: We're about ninety minutes away, so let's see if we can get it done tonight, Game two and Man, I try to have hope as a Nick fan, but as you know, it's tough.
Speaker 1: So I appreciate your time. Man, have a great long weekend.
Speaker 6: Okay, you're the best. Man. Always appreciate the invite, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Mike Yam PAC twelve network back in the day now with our friends at the NFL Network. He is on Twitter at Mike Underscore Yam is where you find him. All right, listen up, join me.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: This guy over here who's got two thumbs and is going to be at the Kyle van Neigolf Tournament. That's me Monday, June third, for the twenty twenty five Kyle van Neudcharity Golf Challenge at the Black Desert Resort in scenic Saint George.
Speaker 1: All the proceedings from this tournament.
Speaker 2: Go to benefit the Van Neid Valor Foundation that helps foster kids and the Adoption Foundations. Kyle was adopted as an infant, so this cause is very meaningful to him and his family. Starts on Sunday, June the twenty fifth, with a welcome cocktail party at seven o'clock. Then on Monday we'll get going with check in and breakfast at Club seventy three. The welcomes at eight forty five, shotguns start at nine o'clock, the awards are at two point thirty, and lunch has served on the course. For more information, go to van Neid Golf twenty twenty five dot givesmart dot com. Andy Larsen will join us coming up next. But let's welcome in Ryan from the Dish professionals. Give him a call at eight oh one four to two four. Dish shave a bunch of money on a bunch of different things. What's going on?
Speaker 1: Ryan?
Speaker 10: This is a fantastic opportunity, guys. Dish's promotion is exploded. We were able to keep the two year price guarantee and then add on top of that three months free, so you get three months free now, guys, you take the big service on the big package. This is close to four hundred dollars you'll get in free programming with Dish for three months. We'll get you the two year promotion prices stays the same. Throwing movie channels and also we'll throw on dinner at jcw's on top of everything. Listen, if you've got that overpriced bill, this is the opportunity you've been waiting for. Call us out. Take the upgrade, get the free programming, Get the biggest, fastest TVR out there, and we'll get you. Also set you up with internet too. If a half a dozen different internet providers available, you name it, we got it. We can help you lower your bill with with and the TV, saving you thousands. It's up to you. Do you want to put money back in your pocket? Calls today four to four dish eight oh one four two four dish.
Speaker 1: About an hour and twenty five minutes away.
Speaker 2: From tip off at Madison Square Garden tonight Game two Knicks Pacers after a historic collapse by the New York Knicks in Game one. We also have playoff hockey tonight for the Dallas Edmonton game. Keep it right here on ESPN seven hundred if you're looking for the basketball on the Eastern Conference final side. Checkout the fan for Game two of Knicks Pacers. Andy Larson, Salt Lake Tribune, Happy Friday, Andy, how are we doing?
Speaker 8: I'm good man?
Speaker 1: How are you I'm doing well. I'm doing well.
Speaker 2: How did you digest that horrific collapse by the Knicks and the comeback by the Pacers Game one?
Speaker 12: I mean it was fun, right, Like, I mean, I think that's one of the great things about basketball is that like that can happen that like an aaron Ne Smith and all of a sudden hit six threes and you're right back in it. And I love Halburton, you know, with the nods Reggie Miller. H I love that, you know, Reggie shot when he did the choking symbol also was tied to tie the game, and so I thought it was a brilliant homage. And Okay, I have to admit I'm you know, I suspect we are on different sides of this, but I am rooting for the Pacers a little bit because their team that's built in a really interesting way, like has just nailed trades with their with Pascalsiokoman obviously Haliburton, and then drafted really well around him with you know, picks six through thirty. Really like it's it's kind of a cool story that's just gone so under the radar, and you know, they have every good of a chance as they you know, it's the next two and maybe better to make it to the NBA Finals.
Speaker 2: Now, does it matter who makes it out of the East when Oklahoma City appears to have a level that nobody else has and maybe Boston has it when they're healthy, but they're out of course, Tatum hurt and and look, you know this, You've been watching them all year and the net is is historic. It's not like they just found this level this week. But it's just it's I feel the same way Andy about Oklahoma City now that I felt about Boston this time last year, and I just feel like they have a level that nobody else does.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I agree with that one hundred percent. I would say the only thing is, you know, you you want to get to the NBA Finals because you never know what's going to happen healthwiz, right, Like, if we're honest, the Toronto Raptors, the kawit Toronto Raptors of twenty nineteen weren't favored to win the NBA Finals in but then all of a sudden, Clay goes down and then Kevin Durant tears his achilles and then it's Stephan versus. You know, a pretty good solid Raptors team, right, Like, so if Shay goes down for whatever reason in the NBA Finals are between now and then, like, you know what, I don't think that's likely, but in that five percent chance, then yeah, I think then you know, the Pacers have a really good shot at it. But yeah, you're right, like healthy as is this thunder team is rolling. They're too good. They have been good, all too good all year.
Speaker 6: Like it's it's pretty.
Speaker 12: Clearly a thunder in five or six situation, I think against either Eastern Conference team if both sides are healthy.
Speaker 1: Shaye, excuse me, Shaye is your MVP.
Speaker 2: I believe when you last joined us, you said that you were going to cast your vote for Nicola Jokicic, which I have no problem with it all. I feel like and I'm I'm not you know me, I'm not usually of fence Center.
Speaker 1: I'm not like this.
Speaker 2: I just thought both were deserving and Shaye gets it. Give me your thoughts.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I think, yeah, completely reasonable and a good pick, like just like you have no problems with anyone who went with SJA. You know, I thought of really telltale series between the two last you know, last week and two weeks ago like just both of them are very good players. Shay has a little bit more help. Jokic is probably more heliocentric offensively, right, Like, just in order for the Nuggets to succeed, they need Jokic, and in order for the Thunder to succeed, they are they are in a better place without Shay. That being said, you know, Shae has had an awesome individual year, and I think these first few games have also served to kind of draw a line between him and like the other stars of the league, like an Anthony Edwards who is struggling a little bit, was struggling with the efficiency, can't get to his spots, you know, like it has been it hasn't been easy, where I think Shay has made it look easy. And yes, you know, like people will complain about the fouls in game one. Game two is about as clean as of a performance as you're ever going to see from a star, and he maybe had even a better game, you know, like he is kind of the classic mid range sniper scorer guard that like I think NBA basketball fans love to see and so like that is, you know, and that has been a successful formula in the playoffs before, and it is certainly right now.
Speaker 2: So is somebody that had a front row seed to the room go bear experience.
Speaker 1: And you know, I'm a Rudy guy.
Speaker 2: I appreciated everything he did here, and you know, I don't think he'll ever get all the credit he deserved for the way he conducted himself when I think his teammate, more often than not, was the guy throwing him.
Speaker 1: Under the bus.
Speaker 2: Now, Rudy was not innocent of everything, But I'll tell you what, Andy Oklahoma City is so intentional about putting him in switches, and it's Shane, it's Jalen specifically. But what's interesting is they're feasting in the mid range. It's not like, let's get him out behind the three point line. Rudy wants to plan and drop. We know this, But what is fair to say about what happens when Rudy is putting those positions where other teams do seem to find a lot of success by getting him out on switches on perimeter players.
Speaker 12: Yeah, look, it's not about getting switches and putting him on the perimeter against ISO and going one on one right like that is actually a pretty big, bad mass move when you look at it over the aggregate, like he's actually pretty good at staying in front, and you waked a lot of shot clock in the dribbling and you know, like the backing it out and all that kind of stuff. I think what Bignell and the Thunder have done really well at is you attack him in the pick and roll, go drop, and then snake the defender so that it is just you and Rudy now from fifteen feet away while the ball handlers on the move, rather than from twenty five feet away outside the three point line, kind of holding onto it. And I think that's where Rudy can kind of get in between a little bit, where he's you know, thinking about rim protection first but ends up giving up the twelve to fifteen foot mid range floater kind of stuff that I think Sga and Jalen Williams are really good at. That has always been a little bit of a problem for him, if I'm honest, you know, like that is a lot of what we saw in the Rocket series when the Jazz played him, for example, when Westbrook was making his jumper, it was a little bit of a problem.
Speaker 8: In the Thunder series, it is.
Speaker 12: I would also say that I do think and have thought this for a couple of years that Rudy is not quite the defender that he was in his utof Rian like he is at that age where it makes sense that he has lost the step. And I think he has lost the step and it's not a huge step. And you know, I think he makes them a well, it makes him a second team All defense guy rather than a first team All defense guy. And I think, you know, we're seeing a little bit of that where the margins are pretty fine and the Thunder taking advantage of them.
Speaker 1: All right, let's move over to some Jazz stuff.
Speaker 2: Since you and I last spoke, the All Rookie teams were released, and the Jazz are not in the mix and have not been in the mix for very many postseason honors. That's what happens when you're unseious about winning and you don't have a lot of good basketball players and your basketball team but holding out hope for maybe Isaiah or Kyle to potentially grabs. I don't think either of them we're going to be first team. Wasn't a great rookie class, you know, the Reshache kid, the number one overall pick, Stefan Castle Rookie of the Year are you surprised that neither Cody nor Kyle uh finished on the at least the second team All NBA Rookie.
Speaker 12: No, because neither You know, first of all, a lot of voters are just gonna look at the win loss record and be like, you know, why am I voting for a jasmin. Second, a lot of voters are going to look at the points totals and say, why am I voting for these guys?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 12: And you know, kind of the interesting thing about Isaiah was his assist number. The interesting things about Kyle Philipasky was his efficiency in shooting and scoring the ball. But wasn't like the number of points they put up, whereas if like either of them had put up you know, thirteen points a game or something, I think there's a realistic shot there are second team or first team. But you know, they weren't able to didn't have that chance. And you know, frankly, maybe probably weren't that good in their rookie years, right, So look, I would have had probably both of them over Bob Carrington. I did in my vote, but I don't think and as well, he's missed me from New Orleans. I don't think I had him on my second team either. But I don't think that the grand miscarriage of justice. You know, Isaiah call Your missed out on the second team by one point compared to Bob Carrington. I thought Collier, when you take into account the passing over the second half of the year, did have a better season overall than Carrington. But again, like it's hard to get two up in arms when you're talking about spot eleven versus tenth in a ROS rookie class on a team that doesn't, you know, on two teams that didn't win anything, right, It's just it's hard to know who is right in that scenario. I will say, like the Jazz and Jazz management were very happy that Bob Carrington made the game winning shot in Game eighty two. It didn't end up mattering, but like that made a the Jazz management happen. So there were some jokes about voting Bob Carrington Rookie of the Year made to me, But look like it's again, no grand miscarriage of justice.
Speaker 6: This is fine.
Speaker 12: Those guys were about the eleventh and twelfth best rookies in the class. That's where they ended up. It's good that they got the eleventh and twelfth best rookies in the class with picks number twenty eight and number thirty two.
Speaker 2: You are about one month and change, almost exactly one month away from the NBA Draft. I think everybody's moved on from the disappointment that the Jazz are at five, even though mathematically that was one of the more likely spots in the fall. Give us some intel. What are you hearing? You know, you hear all this stuff. They're going to be bullish and try to move up. Maybe san Antonio looks at moving too, because there's some redundancy although reports, are they going to keep it in draft Dylan Harper and let them grow alongside Stefon Castle and learn from Daron Fox.
Speaker 1: Maybe Philly's in play at three.
Speaker 2: That's a complicated transaction based off of what it would take to get three. If it's Paul Georgian return, does that make sense? Are you willing to move on from Larry?
Speaker 1: What? What are you hearing prior to draft night? A month away?
Speaker 9: What?
Speaker 1: Give us some intel? Andy?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 12: Look, I mean they are open to everything, right. I would also say that those conversations don't ramp up now, right, Like it's still a month and more than a month until the NBA Draft. You know, they're working on scheduling those prospects to get in that. It does sound like they are going to be successful in meeting with or working out all of those guys in that range. So I think that's notable, you know, besides probably the top two. But look, it's you know, I think they've also signaled probably that this is not They're not going to be giving up the farm to move from number five to number three, right, Like, I don't think that they They see those players in kind of the same tier. And so yes, maybe you give up something, you know, if Philadelphia wants to compete next year and is interested in the column Sexton, sure, you know, Like I think that's something that would be a good use of an expiring calm secton and I think obviously the Jazz would be willing to do that as well. But like in terms of visit worth a lowry marketing, yeah, probably not. And so you have that conversation. But I also think that, you know, they the plan scene still seems to be the long right, Like that is as much as there was a lot of handging, and I think reasonably so. When the picks fell to number five about the tanking and the long term plan not working out. I don't see a huge shift coming in terms of like them all of a sudden going out and getting some of the players on the trade market. So that's what I continue to hear again. You know, look, there aren't those conversations right now for the most part. They're all like little kind of hey, you know, isn't it interesting san Antonio got the number two pick kind of conversations with league exacts, like everyone's just kind of talking generally about the league to each other. No, I'm talking in specifics right now. And so I think that's that's where the Jazz stand right now.
Speaker 2: As you've been able to dig in to study, watch, learn about the prospects and understand the landscape ahead of the Jazz who are drafted at five, have you landed on who you perceived to be the best case scenario available at five and who the Jazz should walk away from for fans learning about names, Who's best case at five in your opinion?
Speaker 12: Andy, That's a good question, and I honestly want to do more work on it. And I know that's a cop out answer, but I'm working on building a stat model right now, going back to Andy Analytics mass days. So I want to wait until I finish that before I like, really, you know, stake my name, because let me be honest, what happened last year is I thought Cody Williams was a really good ticket number ten.
Speaker 6: I thought he was.
Speaker 12: It was a good selection that he fell to number ten, and I thought it was the best outcome for the Jazz And that made me look really, really dumb, and it may look really some too, frankly like, and look, there's still a chance Tody Williams, you know, six season his NBA career, but look, when he had as bad of a rookie season as he did, the odds are short and you would not have drafted him number ten if you were to redraft last year's draft again. So I want to approach this draft number five, more important drafts, better draft, with the little little bit more rigorous miss than I did last year because it sent me astray. And so yeah, I don't know. You know, there are a lot of good names, and I'm sure you talk about them on the show, but I'm trying to figure it out. Like my sense is, I don't love Ace Bailey. I don't love that archetype of player. I would be more in favor of a Trey Johnson R VJED film or a Conkine ple But like I again, have to know more than just vibes at this point because I did such a bad job Blackcraft.
Speaker 2: When you say you're sure I talk about these prospects on the show, is that an admission that you're not tuned in every day two to six Live.
Speaker 12: You know, I just missed that last half hour, that's all. When I'm sure you're talking about them all the time. No, I'm busy learning.
Speaker 2: The news, you know, and there's a lot there's a lot of news out there. One thing that you and I haven't discussed Walker Kessler extension eligible coming up.
Speaker 1: How do you think this plays out?
Speaker 12: Yeah, really good question.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 12: I think ultimately most likely is that the two sides kind of come to a deal, like in that twenty five million dollar a year range, you know, plus minus five a year, which is where you know the league is kind of extended. Guys in that platte, you know, so like the Spurs with Kelvin Johnson or Devin Vessel or you know, like kind of good players who you know can play roles on great teams, probably sub all star potential, but guys who want to keep around are kind of in that range, and I think that's where Walker likely finds himselves. But yeah, you know, they can't really do that until later on in the summer, until September, and that's you know, when you should expect that to happen. That being said, you know, I also think it really really matters what else you're doing around the team, And you know, like if you draft Metalwaks, who I don't think you should, but at number five, then all of a sudden, maybe you're thinking about Walker Kessler in a different way. So we'll see, but I think generally like there was one of the things, one of frankly the only good things that came out of last season was that Walker clearly made himself into a figure, into a player that you want to have on the roster moving forward. And given that the Jazz have kind of not a full out else going for them right now in terms of young, really talented talent, and then the fact that you also have to get to the salary floor, it just does make sense to give Walker an extension.
Speaker 2: Do you think based off of what has now transpired, not just with this draft cycle, but every draft lottery since twenty nineteen. The Jazz will put their best foot forward this year. No inventing injuries, about marketing, no cittying veteran players, no telling Walker Keshler you are Ray Allen from nineteen ninety eight. Now, do you think we might have a serious approach to competing based off of how everything played out last year?
Speaker 12: I'm skeptical because, if anything, there's more incentive to tank, not less, you know, Like as much as Cooper Flagg was a prize and I truly think he's a very excellent prospect, like one of the be one of the better number one picks in the last ten years. Like I think at the top of this draft there are even more good dudes who you might be even more sure on, right, Like I feel really confident on Age Debaansa, and I feel really confident on Darren Peterson, and I feel maybe even most confident on Cameron Boozer, like his floor is so high, so all of a sudden, now you have even more incentive to try to get a top three pick, not just one pick, not just a fourteen percent chance, but a forty two percent chance at one of those three three franchise changing guys plus a number of guys blew them Like. I don't think that the incentives have actually changed all that much other than public pressure, like you know, fan ticket price, you know, ticket interest goes down, people get more mad at Ryan Smith, et cetera. He's been pretty uh, he's been pretty hard to you know, stone face to that. So to this point, I don't know if that changes necessarily. I think they probably just continue to go down the spat.
Speaker 2: So Windhorst and McMahon and bontevs. Last week did a pod on The Hoop Collective about the era of parody in the NBA, and we had Bobby Marks on the show. I think it was Monday of this week, and Bobby did just a masterful job of kind of walking us through why we are smack dab in the middle of a great time in the NBA if you are a fan of a basketball team that plays its basketball in a city like Salt Lake. And as a result of those conversations, I did like an entire segment to open the show about how you know, with the new CBA and billionaires clearly scared of the second apron if you always wondered what the answer to the question what scares billionaires is and pro sports? In the NBA, it's a tax bill like Boston's gonna have a five hundred million dollars just for the right to have the team that will not have Jason Tatum next year and lost in the second round. The new CBA expires in twenty thirty, and there's already a significant amount of pushback to what it's done in pro basketball to not allow teams to keep their great teams together based off of punitive economic penalties. And you said out a tweet that said, it's disappointing the Jazz are missing out on the NBA's parody era. It is unfortunate that the Jazz are not in a better spot to capitalize on this landscape that's allowed teams in Oklahoma City, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Denver, Minnesota to build really good teams. What's your take on it? What are your thoughts on it? Expand on the tweet that you sent.
Speaker 12: Yeah, look, I mean it's hard because I don't know that it's their fault and I don't think like the Donovan Mitchell, Rudy Gobert, Jazz is that interesting in this era eier. Like, I think ultimately the economics of that team, just with the Cats and the way that they had traded and misused some of their picks like meant that they weren't going to compete either. But you know, in the course of Jazz history, there's a couple of famous times when the Jazz had very good teams and came up against greatness and losht and and that's just how that happens, right Like, But if the stock in them and the Lone Jazz are in the twenty twenty five NBA Finals or in NBA playoffs, like.
Speaker 8: I think they win the thing. I think I think they.
Speaker 6: Win the title.
Speaker 12: And so from a Utah perspective and a Jazz time perspective, it is disappointing that like the cycle of success and failure has lined up this way so that in an era where there's more parody than ever, the Jazz are at their lowest point in franchise history. Now, Like, do I expect that to continue? I kind of do. Actually, I think this current setup allows owners to sell their team. Their fan base is hope a little bit.
Speaker 8: I do think.
Speaker 12: Overall, the Warriors dynasty was probably actually bad for the league. I think there are some tweaks they can make about keeping their own teams, keeping their own players, and you know, whether that's a franchise tag or a lesson salary cap impact or something like that. But ultimately you also look at the TV deal and everyone's making too much money to change. And I think that's one thing we learned in the last go around is like, hey, if everyone's making hundreds of millions of dollars here, the incentive to change a ton is not going to be there. So I think ultimately there's not going to be a ton of support for changing drastically the way that the NBA operates. And then so it becomes, you know, can the Jazz take advantage with their own era at some point you know, let's be honest, three, four or five years down the road, And that is to be determined by the draft picks they make and whether they get luckery on lottery night, and like whether or not you know, Lowry continues in all start kind of status or it falls off a bit, and whether or not you know, Isaiah call you is a starting point guard or a backup point guard or not an NBA player, like all this is still super influx, but I you know, That's all I was trying to say is just like, hey, the fine waves have just lined up in the exact opposite way from the way you would want them to if you were a jazz fan.
Speaker 2: All right, Andy, we got to do it before I say you lose. If you believe, then you'll just stand up on your feet and you'll shout it out loud.
Speaker 1: The problem is, goals are fun.
Speaker 2: Two hundred and fifty minutes, I think now between goals for our cell win, listen for.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 2: We established earlier that you listened every minute of the show live, so I don't have to rehash what Pablo said this week, but just in case you may have missed that small portion. Pablo and then Kurt the next day, they both said that they have been informed by new ownership that they are not interested in selling players. They're not interested in selling Diego Luno. They're not interested in selling young players who are playing well for the club. Now, if a team in La Liga or whatever calls RSL and says thirty million for Diego, you probably do it, and I understand why.
Speaker 1: But that was kind of new.
Speaker 2: That was positive news to ascertain from I mean, I will have to see, because at this point, the bottom line is they just badly need economic confusion. And Pablo said he thinks they're two attacking players away from being really good.
Speaker 1: Kurt essentially cooperated that as well.
Speaker 2: So while the present certainly appears to be bleak and as you point out on your Twitter page, not a lot to hope for right now, I just wondered what you make of that piece of information that the Millers seemed to be maybe moving away from the ethos of developing and selling players and maybe we'll have good young players stay here for a long time, which is what you need to do to build a winning team.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's so interesting because you know then Pablo reportedly, at least according to the Apple TV broadcast, said the opposite, that he feels Diego Luna would like real.
Speaker 1: Quick, real quick, real quick, real quick.
Speaker 2: Not to interrupt you, but I asked Pablo that very question, and I was glad I did, because he did not say that it was taken out of context, so the context was based off of how well he's played. He wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of offers this summer.
Speaker 12: Okay, well, look, and you know that maybe the case, and I do think like keeping Diego Luna is number one, you know, important thing to do if you want a successful RSL. You know, I think to some degree also depends on Diego Luna whether or not he wants to spend his entire career in an RSL uniform or not, based on the quality of the team or whether he thinks you can go accomplished bigger things in Europe, you know, like for a lot of soccer players understandably, so it's their dream to be on like Champions League stages and not US Open Cup stages, and so yeah, we'll see. But like regardless that it is great to hear that it is good to hear that they want to keep young players in And then, you know, so with the model RFL has chosen, which is the two designated player for under twenty two slot model, that means you've got two kind of older talismanic guys who have to set the the caliber of the team, and then you have four twenty two year old Ish guys who are on their you know, up and coming trajectory who can also help that you can spend unlimited to uncapped money on that's the MLS rule. Diego Luna is one of your under twenty two guys, Brian o'hade is clearly one of your under twenty two guys. Then you need to do better with like the Nelson Plasio spot, right like, but nevertheless that can be done. Tom k mark us another under twenty two guys. Then uh, you just need to be way, way way better on the designated players scale, right like, I think it's started to call Giago Gonsalvez a failure at this point, and he's your only designated player. You've left that second slot open. So look, I mean, given how long the Miller deal was in the works, right like, they first had those conversations in November, they did, to some extent have the leeway to say, hey, this is how we'd like to see the club change when we're in charge. Now, maybe they didn't have they didn't feel good about it, whatever, But the disappointing week after the Millers finalized the PaperWorks, they did the press conference and then only signs Willia Gatta like is you know, leaves need to be more pessimistic than optimistic. Also, maybe the fact that I'm a skeptic, but like in the end, I would love to see a Miller organization really invest into the team because the team desperately needs it, and you are letting down players the likes of Diego Luna, Raphael Cabral and Mechaanelli, et cetera, because they you, you know, the team does not lack talent necessarily, it's just so bleaku on the offensive side of things that it's holding everyone else back.
Speaker 2: All right, Andy, good stuff today, man, appreciate the time, have a great weekend, and.
Speaker 1: We'll catch up soon.
Speaker 8: Sounds good.
Speaker 1: Thanks then, Andy Larson.
Speaker 2: Salt Lake Tribune covers the Jazz a bunch of other things as well. At Andy B. Larson is where you find him. Shout out to our good friends at Corland Roofing. You're reroofing and roof repair experts with over twenty years of experience.
Speaker 1: They're family owned and operated.
Speaker 2: Call Courland Roofing today to get free rain gutters with any roof replacement. And if you don't need rain gutters, that are going to knock fifteen hundred bucks off anyway, so call them and save a bunch of money and get that roof replaced before the weather gets wicked womb. That was my Karl Anthony Towns New York accent.
Speaker 6: Nice.
Speaker 2: Have you looked at the tweet I sent you? He suddenly has adopted a New York accent.
Speaker 3: I did see that.
Speaker 4: Hey, you know he's been there for a while. Uh but yeah, like you, it wasn't there before.
Speaker 2: Eight o one six one five five six zero from all my brothers in New York, New York at Rookie Park. What I've been listening to you interview since you're eighteen? You've never had that accent before? Eight oh one six one five five five six zero eight oh one six one five five five six zero Online at Cortland roofine dot com. By the way, new cool thing on the station. We are your home of the Indy five hundred Sunday morning with coverage beginning at nine am. That's brought to you in part by Burt Brothers. Summer Adventures are just around the corner and Burt Brothers is kicking off the season with huge savings on auto services and deals on major tire brands, say being on Firestone with rebates up to one hundred and twenty bucks now through the end of May. Visit your nearest Burt Brothers today and drive home with a great deal. All right, I am going to choose to approach tonight with glass at full. I think Howard Beck did a good job of articulating, and I really do think this comes from Jalen more than anything else. There's just this like measured approach to the kid, and they're always has been all the way back in college when he was at Nova and then of course with the MAVs. The MAVs at one point at Rick Carlile's Rick carl was their coach and their back court was Jalen, Brunts and Luka Doncicch. Think about that for a second. I do think the next win. No part of me thinks it's gonna be comfortable. I have a tremendous respect for Rick and this Indiana Pacers team. Although I hate them, Yes, I cannot stand them. It's the heat and the Pacers to me that I just oh and the Rockets.
Speaker 1: I learned that this year.
Speaker 2: Your level of confidence tonight before we say good night about the Nicks being able to even up the series.
Speaker 3: I am.
Speaker 4: I'm pretty confident about their ability to even up the series tonight. I am you know, like you said, it's a group led by Jalen Brunson who seems to have a good, great, good resolve. You know, it doesn't seem like they're a crew that's gonna let the wheels fall off. A bunch of these guys have a national championship. I know that's at the college level, but it is still championship experience. I think they adjust. I think they bounce back. I think they get Game two Spence, but I thought they'd get Game one. And if they lose tonight, they lose tonight and you go too and you lose the way you.
Speaker 3: Did an MSG. I think the series is over.
Speaker 4: I know, I know you don't say that after two games, but I said it after the Boston series because the way you lose does matter. And yeah, big game, Big Game two. If if there's you know, a time to put too much stock into one of them, this is the one.
Speaker 7: I know.
Speaker 4: I'm a Knicks fan. I know it's you know, maybe showing there, but I think tonight in many ways, may decide the series.
Speaker 2: Knicks are oh and fourteen in franchise history. When they trail O two, they have never lost two games at home to start a playoff series, so historic in a lot of ways, and I agree if they don't get it tonight, it's curtains all right. We have a long weekend, which is very nice. I hope you guys have the same order. We are off Monday. What comes our way when we're back on a Tuesday show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, since we have Monday off, we'll double up on the NBA Daily assist Tom Haberstrow and Tim McMahon On a Tuesday afternoon, we'll chat with Rafael Barlow on some NBA draft who wasn't able to join us earlier this week. And then to wrap it all up, hopefully a better showing from our guys from RSL and we'll have a little recap of their weekend as well.
Speaker 1: How about a goal, just one, just a goal, baby steps.
Speaker 3: I'm good with that.
Speaker 1: I'll goal against Vancouver.
Speaker 3: Tomorrow, maybe a point two, maybe.
Speaker 1: A point, Yeah, that would be nice, but baby steps a goal first. Then we'll see.
Speaker 2: I got to take advantage of Diego before he takes off for the US men's National Seam Gold Cup duty. We'll say good night, special thank you to Howard Beck, Zach Harper, Paul Pugmyer, Mike Yam and Andy Larson Fun Show Today. If you missed any of it, the website is there at your disposal. It's ESPN seven hundred sports dot com. Make sure to download our mobile app and take us on the go. ESPN seven hundred app is available in the App Store of the Google Play Store. And finally, for what we do specifically in our space every afternoon for four hours. If you miss any of it, good news, it's up for your consumption. On our podcast page. You can listen to whatever part of it you want to on your time. It is called The Drive with Spence. Check its that's available wherever you get your show. Subscribe, rate reviews, say nice things of the comments. Give us all the stars. You will be eternally blessed reporter. I'm Spence Sega and I have a great long weekend. Gang, begid to yourself, begoind to each other. We'll talk to you on a Tuesday edition of the Drive and as well as you can catch it right here on ESPN seven hundred ninety two ANDEFM. We are proud to be part of Utah's ESPN Radio network.