Speaker 1: Two men, two familiar places, two routine outings that should have ended like any other, but didn't. One would be found days later, his life, ending in a place he knew well, while the other would vanish without a trace, leaving behind only questions that still haven't been answered three decades later. Today we're heading into the forests of Pennsylvania, where rugged terrain, quiet trails, and a single misstep can change everything. I'm Megan, I'm Danielle, and this is off the trails. So we do have some new patreons that we would like to welcome. That is, they are Kathy, Liz, Timothy, Justine, Mallory, Meg and jac Welcome and thank you.
Speaker 2: You've got the new one from yesterday. Good job I did.
Speaker 1: I'm on it it. You know, may slipped a little, but we're back in action.
Speaker 2: So that's right, A new month knew us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's I think I hopefully hopefully a better rest that awars us. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like because because different or new could go either way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, better improved. I like that better. Yes, I don't know. I don't think we have anything in particular to go over. We do have a virtual meetup coming up at the end of this month on Patreon for the backpacker tier. So if you are not on there and you would like to join, you know, just subscribe before June twenty fifth and you'll be able to join it. This week, we're going to be posting what the topics will be for that meetup, and that's all accessible to anybody who goes to the page, so you can see all the information before you decide to commit to anything. But we'd love to see you there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, our last one was really fun, so and I'm antisocial and I still enjoyed it, so please join.
Speaker 1: That is true. It is fun. It's fun to break the fourth wall and actually discuss cases and whatever. We had so many different like what are they called side quests, yes, for detours from the conversations, and it was a lot of fun talking to listeners and hearing their feedback in their opinions and stuff, and just getting to know them outside of just being a listener. So it was really cool. All right, well, outside of that.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: Let's go all right, have you been to Pennsylvania?
Speaker 3: Not for a really long time, And I was actually thinking when you did your intro if we have done any cases in Pennsylvania? The only thing I could think of in that split second was the boulder fields that I think we covered in the Singing Rocks.
Speaker 1: I was that in Pennsylvania.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I forget I think it was, But I don't know that we've covered anything else in Pennsylvania.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think so.
Speaker 3: I'm sure somebody's probably listening, They're like, yeah, episode eighty two. How do you guys forget that we forget what happened two days ago?
Speaker 1: Yes, we do. I think the only well we when we covered Jeff Hood and Molly LaRue, they were through hiking the at and but the setting of what took place was in Pennsylvania, but outside.
Speaker 2: Of Okay, okay, all right, so that is still one.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Anyway, Pennsylvania is home to some of the most beautiful and underrated wilderness in the Eastern United States. It has dense forests, winding creeks, and dramatic elevation changes, and as pretty as those extremely tall mountains that the west has. I do love seeing like the rolling mountains of the Northeast region. They're two entirely different landscapes and they're just so pretty in their own rights. Oh yeah, definitely.
Speaker 3: I do like being able to see like the Yeah, like you said, like the mountains, like behind the mountains. But if you have like just say, super big mountain in front of you, that's all you're seeing, which is which is not to say it's not great, but you know that's standing in front of everybody else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and even see. I think it's very similar to the those types of mountains you see up in like upstate New York. It's just I wish while I lived up there, i ventured over there more. But you know, for people who are enjoying it, that's awesome. Keep enjoying it, keep enjoying it. So as peaceful as these places can be, they just like all the other outdoor areas we discuss, carry unpredictability. This terrain can be unforgiving. The conditions can shift quickly, and sometimes even people who know those areas well run into trouble that they never saw coming. And today's episode follows two separate cases. Both involve experienced individuals who ventured into Pennsylvania's outdoor landscapes alive and never made it out. So there wasn't and I know we've talked about this before, there wasn't a ton of coverage of these two cases, just like a couple news articles here and there. But regardless of their being sort of limited information on them, I know that we both still like to share them with people, so that because they don't get the same exposure as some of the other high profile cases that kind of gained traction beyond their local news and these two were just kind of on the quieter end of case coverage, but of course still wanted to share them. So our first story is about a man by the name of Michael Kenny who was fifty four years old living in in Northumberland County, Pennsylvania. He was active, experienced, and by all accounts comfortable in the outdoors, running and hiking.
Speaker 3: Nope, continue, I thought. I was like, wait, did I already cover this case? But once she said running, I was like, no, if he was not a runner, if you did, that would be just like the funniest thing.
Speaker 1: No, it looks like it's only okay.
Speaker 2: It was like a different Kenny.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, I mean your last week's episode was Kenny Veach, but I know you're talking about probably a different name that sounds familiar.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a hunter, but it might have been a Patreon one. But you know, either way, carry on. Once she said runner, I was like, nope, not the same story.
Speaker 1: Well, whenever I start writing about a case, I always searched the name in our drive and our show drive, just to make sure it doesn't come up in the search results for an episode that's already been covered. Because we are between our regular episodes and our Patreon episodes, we are like well over two hundred we're probably closer to like two hundred and fifty episodes. So that's a lot to try to remember what you've already covered and what you haven't.
Speaker 3: And that's my biggest one of my biggest fears that I'm just gonna like go all out on a case and then start telling it and then you're like, wait a minute, I covered this in length or even worse, you're gonna be like, you already covered this.
Speaker 1: But you know, if you unintentionally rerote it and like re researched it, maybe you come back with like with different perspectives or information that you hadn't found the first time around. So it could be a blessing, that's true, you know what You're right. So running and hiking we're part of his routine, and one of the places he returned to often was the Roaring Creek area of Wiser State Forest. So this state forest spans roughly twelve and a half square miles or thirty two square kilometers, spread across several counties, including Carbon Columbia, Dauphin Northumberland, and Scougle. The Roaring Creek Tract where Michael often ran sits just north of Mount Carmel and is shaped by two parallel mountain ridges. And you've mentioned this before, so I know you're going to appreciate the names Big Mountain to the south and Little Mountain to the north.
Speaker 2: I do love it. Simplicity at its best.
Speaker 1: So between those ridges runs the south branch of Roaring Creek, which begins near the eastern boundary of the tract and flows west for about ten miles or roughly sixteen kilometers, before cutting through Little Mountain at a narrow passage known as Bear Gap. On Wednesday, June eighteenth, twenty fourteenth, twenty fourteen, Michael set out for what should have been a routine run in the Roaring Creek area, but when he didn't return home, his family reported him missing, and a search effort quickly kicked off. Searchers soon located his Toyota Sedan parked at the Route fifty four entrance to the forest, and the windows were down and the keys were still in the ignition. So that definitely stands out because I'm that's not typically how someone leaves their car, regardless if you're going somewhere that's more on, like, you know, the quieter side. Maybe it's a trailhead that you don't typically run into people at, but it's still a weird way to leave your car, especially in like a an area where there's place. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially the keys in the ignition.
Speaker 3: I think, depending on you know, whether entime of year, it's not super although it must be a little unusual because actually yesterday I was walking through the parking lot at work and someone had left their windows down and I noticed it and thought it was odd. So, yeah, I guess you're right, people don't typically leave their windows down they're leaving their vehicle. But definitely the he's in the ignition I think is unusual.
Speaker 1: Right, And is this something that he typically did you know, if if he regularly would go out to the woods to run or hike or you know, whatever he was doing, did he do this at the store, you know, does he do this when he goes into town? Like is this normal for him or was this like a rushed exit from the vehicle. Right, But outside of the windows being down and the keys in the ignition, there weren't any signs of like distress of that there were like a struggle in the vehicle or around the vehicle. So I also want to mention that a news article, like a local news article from the time that this case was developing, they had notated that the windows were down, but in the Strange Outdoors article they said the windows were up. So I went with what the local news coverage said because I feel like that's a detail that stands out more for publishing and for noting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was gonna say, Reichs, as we just discussed, I think having the windows up would have been less noteworthy, right.
Speaker 1: I just picture like every time a vehicle is described and they're like and the hood was closed, It's like, what, right, think it would be?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: That's like the default position exactly. So search and rescue teams mobilized quickly, with more than sixty people involved. The rw Oh my god, the Roaring Creek tract was closed off to prevent contamination of any potential evidence, and teams began combing the area on foot, focusing heavily on the trails that Michael was known to use. Helicopters scanned from above, while search dogs were, of course, you know, trying to get any type of cent on the ground. At one point, officials even stop drivers along Route fifty four, handing out and asking if anyone had seen anything unusual. Nick Zoli of the Bureau of Forestry emphasized that because Michael was an avid runner and hiker, the search focused on the possibility that something had gone wrong along the trails. So I think they were just kind of working under the impression that he would not have strayed far from a trail, So it's they wouldn't expect to find him off trail somewhere right, which makes sense, But of course you never know what could drive someone off trail who typically stays on it. Unfortunately, though, the terrain made that incredibly difficult, even just looking like within close proximity of the trail. As Incident Management Team member Cecil Stelter explained, the area is extremely rugged. It's rocky, uneven, and even filled with hazards. Like old mine holes, ravines and sudden drop offs, like there's some old pieces of wood just covering like unstable ground. So it was potentially dangerous for all the searchers involved as well.
Speaker 2: Especially those mystery mine chefts.
Speaker 1: That's a scary Those are so scary anytime they come up in a story like I distinctly recall us talking about them in the Michael Bryson case where he went missing up in Oregon from that campground during that party, and the area, like the forest surrounding that campground apparently just had a ton of old, overgrown mind shafts that you could just like fall into.
Speaker 2: Hate that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And of course what made this search difficult was lack a lack of clues. Despite how extensive it was, they just didn't find anything outside of his vehicle. But seven days after the search kicked off, on June twenty fourth, searchers made a discovery. A member of the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources found Michael's body in the Bear Gap Reservoir within the Roaring Creek Tract, Northumberland County. Corner James F. Kelly determined through preliminary autopsy results that Michael had likely drowned, and authorities stated that they did not suspect fowel play.
Speaker 3: So do you know, do you know the terrain around the reservoir is like does the trail run up above or is it pretty level that you wouldn't have fallen from so cliff essentially.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So the when I was looking it up on all trails and I'm pulling it up again just to kind of put it fresh in my mind, this section does look relatively flat. You'd be near water, I can't tell. And these are literally just based off of images that like photos that people have posted on all trails just to try to get a sense of the trail he was on. And there may be some areas where there might be a steeper drop off, but the pictures that I'm seeing, the water's pretty close to the trail, like on flat ground. But if you're listening and you've been here and you can kind of visualize it better, then definitely let us know. So on paper, it was a tragic accident. It was just a routine run that seemingly ended with a fatal fall into the water. But even with an official and plausible conclusion, his death was still shocking, and I think you do have to sort of question like how did someone end up in the water that they were unable to rescue themselves from? So that also that begs the question, like that's how deep the water was, if there's a strong current there, if he was found by like the bank of the water, or is he trapped under like if there's a tree or rocks that he was potentially pinned under in the water. Did he suffer a medical event that incapacitated him in the water. Did he injure himself and end up in the water. There's so many like how did he end up there? And it reminds me of this story that you told about the woman who was on a walk or a run. I think she was on a walk in the UK, somewhere in Canada. It was Canada. I thought it was in the UK, And I think the.
Speaker 3: Woman that was on a walk, Oh no, wait, so that yes, there's a There are two stories that are kind of similar.
Speaker 2: One was the UK.
Speaker 3: One was Canada where these women were out for a walk. One was with a friend in the winter, the other was just out in the morning with her dog and they both ended up in the river.
Speaker 1: Yep. Yeah, because they found the dog and he was fine, and she had just gotten off like a zoom work call or something, and then she just somehow, it just like this, it feels very similar, ended up in the water somehow. So yeah, very puzzling. So in Michael's case, there was at least an answer, even if it didn't explain everything. You know, they were able to find him and recover him and at least get a little bit of closure for his family, even if they still don't know what those final moments included. But unfortunately, our second case doesn't have that same closure. So Michael Malinowski was thirty seven years old living in Yardley, Bucks County, Pennsylvania. He worked as a mental health counselor at the Greater Trenton Community Mental Health Center and was described as thoughtful, meticulous, and reliable. He lived a relatively quiet life. So when I read this next part, I was like, oh, so we're just describing Danielle. So it just says he lived a relatively quiet life. He was a vegetarian, he didn't use drugs, and he rarely drank.
Speaker 2: I mean, man, after my own heart right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, seriously. At the time of his disappearance, he wasn't in a romantic relationship. He had divorced again.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 1: Yes, he had divorced about a year earlier after separating from his wife three years prior, and the couple shared a ten year old son named John, who lived with his ex wife. So you guys are very similar, we are. Despite the changes in his personal life, though, Michael appeared to be looking ahead, and he even had plans to eventually move west to be closer to his son. On October twenty fourth, nineteen ninety six, after attending a psychology seminar in Chester County, Michael drove roughly two hundred miles or about three hundred and twenty kilometers north to Tioga County, heading for Pine Creek Gorge. So this is actually often called the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania. It stretches for about forty seven miles or seventy six kilometers, carved deep into the Allegheny Plateau. It sits within roughly one hundred and sixty thousand acres or about six hundred and fifty square kilometers of Tioga State Forest. At its deepest point, the canyon reaches about one thousand, four hundred and fifty feet or four hundred and forty meters and in some areas it's more than eight hundred feet deep, with a rim to rim distance of around four thousand feet or about twelve hundred meters. Michael had checked into the Pine Tree Lodge in Gains at around four thirty pm for a planned two night stay. The lodge, which was built in the early nineteen thirties, sits overlooking Pine Creek and offers seclude cabin surrounded by wilderness the dream. That evening, he did call his roommate Greg Rossi to let him know that he had arrived safely, but it would be the last confirmed contact anyone would have with him. Three days later, on October twenty seventh, a Forestry Bureau worker found Michael's rented nineteen ninety five Nissan Sentra parked at the Barber Rock Access on the west rim of the Gorge. Inside the car were several personal items. An unzipped daypack with his cell phone inside. His jacket was on the passenger seat. He had a large water container with him that was about two thirds empty. There were apples, a box of cheese its, an empty camera case on the dashboard, and a pair of tan rubber soled boots. So I feel like all this stuff in the car is stuff that should have been with him.
Speaker 2: Well, certainly the day pack and the wa.
Speaker 1: And the jacket. I mean we are talking.
Speaker 2: I mean for sure the snacks. The snacks.
Speaker 1: Right like, and this is October, this is late October in Pennsylvania. I think you and I can easily assume what the weather was. And granted there are some of those random late fall days that are really nice out, but more often than not, you have that fall chill in the air. So hearing that his jacket was on the seat is concerning because though it may have been nice out when he got to the trailhead, there's a very good chance that that air started cooling down quick if he stayed out there anytime like past the afternoon.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean that time of year.
Speaker 3: Once once like two or three o'clock hits, so the sun starts to make its way out, the temperature drops quick. So I would think if you had a jacket in your vehicle, you probably would have taken it with you in that situation.
Speaker 1: Right, So, yeah, it appeared that all he had taken with him was that camera and left everything else behind in his car. The manager of the Pine Tree Lodge, reported him missing on October twenty eighth. Inside his cabin, everything was neat and orderly. The bed had been slept in, his belongings were carefully arranged, and it did appear that there was enough clothing there for the duration of his planned stay. Nothing seemed disturbed, so everything in the cabin seemed normal. Search efforts began quickly and grew into one of the most extensive operations the area had seen. Up to one hundred and twenty five firefighters and volunteers participated, along with trained search dogs, nine repelling teams, and three helicopters. For five days, crew searched from dawn until dusk, combing the canyon walls, trails, and surrounding forests. However, yet again, the extensive search offered no new leads, which just must be so fresh. Steve Ferrell, who is the superintendent of Colton Point State Park, described the emotional toll of the search, saying that each night he would go home unable to sleep, wondering what had been missed and whether Michael was still out there somewhere. Gaines Township Police Chief Mark Rescue expressed similar frustration, calling the case a puzzle where none of the pieces seem to fit.
Speaker 2: His last name is rescue.
Speaker 1: I put an I accidentally just put a C in there. It's not but it is it is rescue, or it's rescue without the sea. Okay.
Speaker 3: I was like, yeah, Like, I think we've covered like a couple of cases where the detective or the police officer's name is like something that you're like, if you weren't in this line of work, like what were you doing and if your last name was rescue, I would say like, yeah, you have to be in be a first responder of some kind.
Speaker 1: But and it's funny because after I said it out loud, it's one of those things where like you're still talking, you're still carrying on with the sentence. But I was like, I'm pretty sure I just said that wrong. And then when you're like, wait, is his name rescue, And I'm like, no, it's not.
Speaker 2: It's actually not.
Speaker 1: I misled you. Sorry, whoops. Well you figure how many times we see the word rescue on our pages, So yeah, your brain just goes right to that. Yeah. So, despite the scale and thoroughness of the search, there was just no evidence to explain what happened, and of course, over time, as it so as it does, several theories emerged. One possibility is that Michael suffered a fatal accident, perhaps a fall from one of the canyon's steep edges or an injury that left on left him unable to seek help, but extensive searches of the area failed to locate any remains. Another theory is I don't like to share these ones loosely, but another theory is suicide. Though investigators found no indication that he was suicidal, friends and family described him as stable, and while his son reported to have mentioned mild depression later on, nothing suggested that he intended to take his own life. But his son was ten, you said, yeah, at the time, I don't know when his son later mentioned the mild depression but or how he would have picked up on that with his dad. But also, your son is very like intuitive and pretty observant. So and he's you know, he's eleven, he's ten, He's going to be eleven in September, right, yeah, yeah, I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, I was just thinking, I don't know, I don't know that a ten year old would, especially if he wasn't living with his father.
Speaker 1: Maybe he overheard his mom say something, maybe something came up in conversation, because I also can't imagine a ten year old using the phrasing mild depression, like maybe they if they're around someone a while, they could say they always seemed sad or they cried a lot, but not using clinical terms.
Speaker 2: Right, although my child probably would.
Speaker 3: He's been watching a lot of psychology videos, so he's been watching them on our Off the Trails podcast YouTube. So if you see all these like weird psychology things, that's my kid watching them.
Speaker 1: So see, he might have been able to h terminology like.
Speaker 3: That diagnose, diagnose someone. Perhaps there's also.
Speaker 1: The idea that he may have staged his own disappearance, but this theory is weakened by the fact that his credit cards and social Security number and there's really nothing of his or tied to his identity have been used since he went missing, and he did have plans to move closer to his son, it sounds like he had a good relationship with him since he was going to move across the country to be closer to him, and with that, I would also assume that he had a pretty you know, amicable relationship with his ex so you know, the staging a disappearance doesn't seem to fit him.
Speaker 2: No, doesn't.
Speaker 3: Also, if you're a divorced adult, you can you don't have to disappear.
Speaker 2: You can just choose to move, you can.
Speaker 3: Choose to cut contact with people if that's what you want to do for whatever reason.
Speaker 1: You don't have to create this mystery. Yeah, exactly. I mean we've talked about people who have gone and instead of doing like, instead of saying you can just divorce your wife, they're like, I'm actually going to pretend I'm going to fake my own death. So yeah, that's typically not the route that people take. Though. No foul play is often mentioned in these types of cases, but that's purely speculation when nothing is found to support that theory. And there's also a theory that he may have been accidentally shot by a hunter who and panicked and concealed the body. At the time, it was squirrel and grouse season, so it wasn't anything like big game hunting. But that doesn't mean that people aren't doing that illegally. But like this, it's a bit far fetched and definitely lacks any evidence pointing to it.
Speaker 2: I didn't realize there was a season for squirrel hunting.
Speaker 1: I honestly didn't either, But yeah, I wonder how much of a demand there is for it. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's about I don't know, fifty fat squirrels in my yard all the time because they're come eating the snacks that I put out for the birds.
Speaker 1: But mm hm oh yeah, always, they're always out there on the bird feeders. So in the every explanation can't be entirely ruled out. But there's also no evidence to support any of them either. And both of these cases, though very different in outcome, do highlight the same underlying truth, which is that the outdoors don't need to be extreme conditions to become dangerous. And in both of these cases, I think it's an Okhams Razor scenario where it really did just come down to something as simple and devastating as a single misstep. Unfortunately, I do worry that. You know, we had Michael on one hand, who just went out for a run, so you wouldn't expect him to have a whole lot on his person, right, But well, I'm sorry, they're both Michael.
Speaker 2: Michael number one.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yes, so Michael Kenny going out for his run and then Michael Melanowski, I worry how far he tried to venture with his camera to see those gorgeous views of the gorge, the mine Creete gorge. Yeah, leaving so many supplies in his car.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was unusual that you would have these items with you but not take them if it seemed like his intent was, you know, to go a good distance and get photos and things of that nature. So that doesn't that creates a lot of questions for me, because I agree in most of these situations it is most likely just a pure accident and they were just not found. But leaving the stuff in the car is kind of a tip off that I don't know, I don't know what it's tipping off, but it makes me questions what happened?
Speaker 1: Right? So, you know, are if you are heading out into remote or rugged terrain, even for something routine, it is worth taking a few extra precautions. Always let someone know where you're going and when you expect to return. Carry essentials like water, food, navigation tools, cold weather gear, and just a way to communicate if something does go wrong. And perhaps most importantly, which I think is highlighted in these cases, is not to say that they did anything wrong, but don't let familiarity lead to complacency. You know, Michael Kenny may have been used to this running route that he took, and even though he may have done all the right things, again, it just takes one one misstep, and.
Speaker 3: It's very easy to get complacent in a place you're comfortable, definitely, or a place that you don't even perceive as dangerous.
Speaker 1: So you could go on a trail that you've never been on, but you could say, well, this isn't a dangerous trail, so you're not as sort of vigilant on it as you would be if you were on a more just like knowingly challenging one.
Speaker 3: Right, So, I mean, I stand by the fact that I think some people don't have enough anxiety. I have more than plenty to share with people, but I think some people don't have enough.
Speaker 1: I agree, we are happy to share ours. Yes, So you know, one man went out for a run and never made it back, but at least in the end he was found. His remains were found, offering some closure for his loved ones. And the other stepped onto a trail and simply vanished, joining the many other people who have gone into the woods and never returned, So be careful out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 1: Just sorry, Just be careful. I mean, we're getting into summer where you're gonna have a lot more people out recreating and exploring and just yeah, just be extra mindful and you know, be extra prepared and make it home safely.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: All right, Well until next time.