Speaker 1: Hello, it is Ryan, and we could all use an extra bright spot in our day, couldn't we just to make up for things like sitting in traffic, doing the dishes, counting or steps, you know, all the mundane stuff. That is why I'm such a big fan of Chumba Casino. Chumpbuck Casino has all your favorite social casino style games you can play for free, anytime anywhere with daily bonuses. So sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com. That's Chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 2: Sponsored by chumpb Casino. No purchase necessary. VGW group Ford. We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply.
Speaker 3: I bet you're smart.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you like to hold your own in the group.
Speaker 5: Chat, we can help you drop even more knowledge. My name is Martine Powers.
Speaker 3: And I'm a la Haye Azati. We host a daily news podcast called Post.
Speaker 5: Reports every weekday afternoon. Post Reports takes you inside an important and interesting story with the kind of reporting that you can only get from the Washington Post.
Speaker 6: You can listen to Post Reports wherever you get your podcasts, Go find it now and hit follow.
Speaker 7: Deciding on what to listen to is hard. Using zoomo to stream music from iHeart Nineties Radio is Easy, or play iHeart Country or hip Hop beats your choice, all for free, stream easy with Zoomo Play. Get live and on demand entertainment with no logins, no sign ups, no accounts, no hassle. This November, get cozy and stay in from Movie Night with Air Force one starring Harrison Ford and Glenn Close, and the Art of War starring Wesley Snipes, all streaming free on Zoomo Play. Go to play dot Zoomo dot com. Now life is Hard, Zoomo is Easy.
Speaker 4: Minnesota, Goodbye. I'm going to start off with a new unusual little observation. Bailey uses a paper planner, like a thin little It's about the size of an index card. It's in Hallmark and three and you get them for free. And that's interesting because I don't use a paper planner. I use my phone, and I think I probably have been for I don't know many years, even before there was an iPhone, I had a palm pilot. Do you remember the palm plallots.
Speaker 3: I never had one of those.
Speaker 4: They were, you know, they were the precursor to the iPhone, and they went away, and that's what I kept my schedule in before that, I think I also had maybe a paper planner. I'm not really sure, but I've always been like I love digital gadgets, So even back in the eighties, I had a digital gadget that was part calculator, part planner, and I think that I've kept my schedule on that. But you prefer I like.
Speaker 6: Paper, and I've always used paper. Even when I was like twenty two, I just printed out like pictures of like each month as a calendar so I could write in it. I like them because I can keep them in my purse and they just like sit right there. They're always there versus my phone is. I don't know, it could be like in the other room. Like I always know where my planner is, and then I keep little white out next to me or in my bag as well, so if I need to wipe something out rewrite something, I can.
Speaker 4: And that works. And so where it So where do you get it free? You go down to the hall.
Speaker 6: Mall market, Yeah, which there aren't very many hallmarks anymore. So Yeah, there's maybe like five total around the cities, but not like anywhere nearby. So there's one near Mounts High School where I coached speech. So I went yesterday on a special.
Speaker 4: Area was the front desk or what?
Speaker 3: Do they have them right at the front desk?
Speaker 6: And I always buy a card as well, so I don't feel bad for just walking in and taking a planner.
Speaker 4: There's a Hallmark store in Eden Prairie Center. Other than that, I'm sure there's one in probably mall of America. Yeah, but yeah, I think everybody gets their cards and everything either via like CVS or Walgreen or Target. And you don't really need to go into a Hallmark store, but they do much so much more. They do, you know, candles, and yeah, they had ornaments, ornament decorative things like do dads.
Speaker 6: There were a butt ton of ladies in Hallmark yesterday when I went in. Yes, they were all like over seventy five yep, but it was it was a pop in place, and they had cookies by the door.
Speaker 3: WHOA, I got to take these cookie on my way out.
Speaker 4: First email from Kyle says, so Shaboozy's bar song has been on the top forty for a long time. Great song, great album, but the music video is pretty basic as there's probably no budget when they made it. Oddly enough, it might be the most stream music video on YouTube that was ever made in one single cut, one unbroken take. Now that might be. I would also say go back and watch Spice Girls Want to Be because that song was also done in one unbroken cut and it's really super cool. I got two Hot one style questions for the morning show crew, since their toes are dipped in the music industry. First, do you think the music industry cares about music videos anymore? What monetary benefit does a music video serve compared to streaming dues, merge concert sales. I don't know. I think they do, but I don't think that people really talk about the videos like they used to. I don't know. I think that if they have a great song, they will do whatever it takes to promote it. But it used to be, Yeah, get a video, make sure it's played on MTV. This was years ago. And if you go back and look at some of the early videos on MTV, they're bad, like early, like all and notes Phil Collins YouTube videos, They're just bad. And there were some really creative ones like Thriller and beat It in that type of thing. Thank you Von and you Smell Good by the way, Thank you, Hey, you guys, Von just came in and like moved a button. So I don't really know what the industry thinks about music video. Second, what kind of influence do you believe you had over making this particular song popular. I know you're not the deciders, but you must have some say in what's worth playing and what's not. Does your popularity in this small market account for more than a larger market with a less popular listener, bass, I think that, you know. I said, Okay, I made this song a hit because I found this song back in March or whatever, and I said, this song is going to be the song of the summer, and then it really was, But it would have been the song of the summer without.
Speaker 3: Writing, without saying anything about her, I just.
Speaker 4: Kind of thought it was funny that I really liked it, and I was right about being such a big song.
Speaker 6: I said the same thing though, write at the big of summer when we all had to pick our songs of the summer and I picked Chapel Rone and you were like, I don't know what the song is, I've never heard of it, And yeah, it wasn't the song of the summer, but it was a big song.
Speaker 3: Over the summer. So I invented chapel rone.
Speaker 4: You did invent chapel rone. Finally, love to hear what you think. I wrote emails before, but I would love a staff writers sticker. Now it's a pretty cool fan badge. Love the show. Thank you for everything that is Kyle from E Dina and your sticker is on the way.
Speaker 6: I always loved When I was in high school, there was a channel called fuse on like like fancy cable, and they were like they played the emo music videos and like rock and roll and everything, and so they had kind of like a TRL sort of deal.
Speaker 3: But it was called.
Speaker 6: Steven's Unentitled Rock Show and it just showed a bunch of like rock and roll in emo music videos and I loved that show. But I used to like wake up early and like sit and watch VH one music videos and that was like every morning.
Speaker 3: And now like, I don't remember the last time I watched a music video period.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Same. If you know, you might go on YouTube and look up the latest Taylor Swift music video or whatever, but I don't. I don't really know how they, you know, find their audience. Now, I guess if you're a swifty or a big fan, then you will go look for it. But I don't know, that's a good question about videos. It used to be, and you predate MTV, which is now forty three years old. MTV came out in about September of nineteen eighty one, and I'll just give you a little history on it. It was really interesting because it first came out just in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut that area, and then cable companies wouldn't carry it, so you know, like your local cable company wouldn't carry it, and so they had a campaign where they would tell people call your local cable company and tell them, I want my MTV.
Speaker 3: I remember that, I mean just from like a trivia.
Speaker 4: And so there's a phrase like even in the song by Dire Straits, I want my MTV.
Speaker 3: That's maybe where I know it from.
Speaker 4: And that song came out in eighty five, right as MTV was pretty much everywhere, but people would call their local cable company and say, I want my MTV. And MTV was something that I didn't have when it first came out, but when I got my first apartment when I was twenty, I loved MTV. I would sit and watch videos, and you would have your friends over and you would, you know, order a pizza and just sit and watch MTV. There was no commercials back then. There were no commercials, no commercials on cable because the reason there were no commercials on cables because you're already paying for the service, So why would they run commercials on a paid service. Then they found out they can get away with it, so they run commercials on everything now because they can get away with it. Yeah, MTV used to be no commercials, just videos. Yeah, kind of cool.
Speaker 3: It's nice.
Speaker 4: All right, here we go next one. Megan says, I fucking love one need. I was hollering and clapping in my quiet basement home office as I was listening to we're talking about blocking the A holes truck until he moved his car out of the cart out of the handicapped spot. Sticking up for the elderly, handicapped, and special needs has always been something I never hesitate with strangers or not. My boyfriend is waiting for the day he's gonna have to jump in and save my ass for calling out the wrong person. But my son has special needs and my mom relies on handicapped parking spaces so there's some strong protective feelings that tend to jump out before the filter turns on. I applaud while Nita for doing the same. Big hugs to her from me, which reminds me whatever happened to the Dave Ryan five K for Special Olympics. My kids and I ran it it in twenty sixteen and it was such a great memory for the three of us. Thanks for getting up so ungodly early to make the mornings bearable for the rest of us. Love you guys. Cheers from Meg. We stop doing the Dave Ryan five K for Special Olympics because of lack of participation. We did it for I don't even know, probably ten ish years or so, and what happened was there were so many five k's every fucking weekend that we would compete with other five ks, So we had trouble getting people registering. So we even tried a no k one time where it was like, we don't run at all, we just drink beer, but you still had to sign up and you got a shirt, and that didn't really draw many people. But I remember one time we're doing the Dave Ryan five k and we started on one side of the Mississippi at like Boom Island Park, and there was another It's like a racetrack, so if you think of like a racetrack, you run down the Mississippi, cross the bridge stone Arch Bridge, you run up the Mississippi across another bridge. And there was another five k the same day using the same course. Because there were so many five k's, and we finally said, we don't know what to do to make this successful. Instead of getting five hundred entries, we got one hundred and three entries, so we finally just said let's yeah.
Speaker 3: It was like oversaturated the market, which.
Speaker 4: Is kind of I'm a shame because you know, it really was a cool thing and we loved helping out with Special Olympics. This one is all the way from Austin, Minnesota, the home of Spam. Oh, good morning to my favorite morning show, says Jennifer. First off, I want to complain about the fast food companies who constantly ask you to round up when making a purchase. I almost always say no, wondering if they really donate the money to that organization when you do round up. Question for you guys to round up when you are asked. I was also asked if I wanted to tip them when I get to the window. What the hell? When did we start tipping fast food restaurants? I usually round up when I encounter that. I don't see it very often, but like at McDonald's, I think it said, do you want to round up to give to the Ronald McDonald house?
Speaker 6: Right, well, yeah, sure, because there it seems like there's a direct connection to Ronald McDonald house. Because there are some places where they're like, hey, do you want to round up? And I think this is a giant company. Like I know, I'm good, but if I'm at like Goodwill, I always round up at Goodwill because I think, like, okay, well it's at Goodwill, so clearly this is going to go somewhere important.
Speaker 4: Goodwill is a for profit enterprise. You know that, right, Yes it is. I think it has the image of a charity. Yeah, but I don't think. I don't. I don't know for sure, but it is a for profit. Surprise, it is not a charity.
Speaker 3: I care about what they do at Goodwill, I don't.
Speaker 4: Know, And that's the question. Maybe somebody knows what they do.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 6: I just know they hire people with like special needs and stuff, and I do appreciate that because okay, maybe that's what it is, old jobs, and so I want them to have jobs, so I will round up the twenty seven cents I.
Speaker 4: Round up at Petco or pet Smart. When it says you want to round up for homeless pets, are like you want to donate five bucks? Yes, always do, And there's certain ones I don't round up on. I don't round up on a lot of food shelf charities because I think people abuse them and I don't and I don't even Maybe I'm a dick for saying that, But I know people that don't need to go to food shelves that, but they go anyway because they don't ask questions. When you, let's say, Bailey j Hess walks into you know, America Food Bank, Sure Food Bank of America, they don't say, okay, prove how poor you are. Okay, show me right now, show me how poor you are. They just let you go and get your rich crackers and your you know, flour and whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But I know people, and they're not friends of mine personally, but it's usually friends of mine's rotten kids or rotten sisters who spend plenty of money on weed plenty of money on pizza and tattoos. Yeah, and then they go to the food bank. And so I don't always donate to food banks.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, that makes sense. I actually just read like an article that says that the food banks in Minneapolis right now are like struggling to keep their shelves full because people are like using them so much.
Speaker 4: And that makes sense because everything is so expensive, right, and and it is hard. I mean, like you go to like, you know, cub to buy you know, food for the next couple of days, and it's like seventy eight dollars. Yeah, and you're like, are you kidding? And so food is very expensive. But I don't know. I just don't round.
Speaker 7: Up for food.
Speaker 6: But now that I have calculated all my rounding up, it seems like yes, I do all the time.
Speaker 4: Okay. Second rant, jury duty? You ever been called the jury duty? I got a letter in the mail this week to serve at the beginning of the year. It's for two months. What this is my third time being called to do this A one. I'm only forty three. I know it's our civic duty, but seriously, it's soaking inconvenient when you're a single mom working full time, and with my last two times doing this, I remember being such a waste of time, sitting around in a room for hours all while the case settles, then they send you on your way. Or last time I got on the jury, I was the last one, so I sat through the entire case only to be dismissed in the end because I was the extra so I never got any say in the case. Uugha what anyway, Love you guys, thanks for making my morning, making my mornings. And can I get a staff writer sticker for another yetti cup? Please? And thank you? All right, yes, Jennifer to send that to you. Thanks to brief for doing that. Never been called for jury duty, which surprises me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I wonder if this person has like a like an A, B or C last name or something that they're like first on the list.
Speaker 4: It's an F last name.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, I've I've.
Speaker 6: Been called one time and I remember calling in because they had you call in to see if you were needed, and I called in like the first two days of the like week long that I was called for, and they were like, Nope, we don't need you today. Nope, we don't need you today. And then I forgot to call after that, and he never got No one ever sent out a warrant for my arrest, So I got there somewhere, and it probably.
Speaker 3: Is, honestly, like she never showed up for her civic duty.
Speaker 6: I think it would be fun, but honestly, I would live in some kind of like fantasy world, like it's twelve angry.
Speaker 4: Well right, and it is. You get jury duty, and you sit and you wait, and you sit and you wait, and then you don't get you know, on the jury you wasted a bunch of times.
Speaker 3: I just want to yell you can't handle the truth. I don't think they would like that.
Speaker 4: Please don't say my name, random subject. I'd love your thoughts on when is it time to call it quits with your company. My husband and I are in a unique situation and both work for the same company. I was recently passed up for an opportunity in the spring, and he was just passed up for a promotion last week. In my case, they chose somebody with a fraction of the experience that I have. In his case, a less experience and less respected people were chosen over him. When I asked for feedback from our boss, why I wasn't chosen. All I was told was the person who was chosen did better than me in the hiring process. Our boss is new with the company this year, and neither of us have a relationship with him like we did with our previous boss, so it's hard to have a real conversation with him. My question is, at what point do you move on to another company? It feels like we have no future here despite giving him eight years of our lives already. My husband is admittedly a much better human than I am, and is like by damn near everyone. It kills me that he wasn't chosen for a promotion that he deserves so much, and other people agree that decisions made were not right. It's really hard to not to play the this isn't fair game, but it just doesn't feel right in my gut. I know everybody thinks they're a hard worker, but I genuinely feel like we both do extra things to help the company out. I don't see there being any more promotions for a long time, so putting our heads down and working through it feels pointless. Love any thoughts that you or other listeners have. The first thing I thought when I read your email was, we don't quit our jobs. We quit our boss because our jobs are our jobs. But our boss is what makes an environment either tolerable, wonderful, or miserable. And I've worked for mostly great bosses, but I've also worked for some miserable bosses. I've never quit a job in radio. Well, actually that's not true. I never quit because I didn't like it. I quit because I had a better offer, or I got fired, or I got transferred, like I've been transferred a couple of times. But I would say, yeah, fuck them, they don't deserve you. And sometimes people get hired because they're younger, or prettier or friendlier, and I think seper too cheaper too. But I think absolutely people who are very social and well lubricated socially and easy to get along with, I think they also get promoted faster than maybe people who are a little bit more quiet, yeah, and a little more type B personality, a little more introverted.
Speaker 6: Right, No, I agree, I agree. I've never been like well, I guess so. I had an internship a while ago, and it was for like my dream job that I wanted so badly, And at the end of my internship, they hired two different positions in the same team that I was working for, and one of them was essentially the exact same thing I was doing. And I applied for both positions and I didn't get either one, and I was so mad because I feel like I've gone anywhere and I'm the personality higher regardless. But they said kind of the same thing that they said to you, that it was just like, oh, this other person was just a better fit. That other person's not there anymore. And I'm like, cool, I would have given you my whole life here, but it's fine, it's whatever. But yeah, Dave, I've never like quit necessarily or like left a job because I didn't like it. I actually stay on too long and then have five jobs at once and have to like force myself to leave if necessary.
Speaker 4: But I think that one of the reasons, you know, people who ask me, they're like, well, why did your show never get syndicated? It really is one of the best shows in the country, And I honestly think because I am not the best at like politics. Sure, like I am not the life of the party. I will never be the life of the party. And I've asked Susan I'm like, you know, our show is so good. And there was a time like when we were with Lena and Steve and Chris go and intern John and I literally I was like, we're the best show in the country. Why are we not syndicated? Now, syndicated is like it's not just a little bit more money, but it's much more prestige. And there are certain shows that are syndicated around the country like Bobby Bones he's on like eighty five stations, or Elvis Durant is on eighty five stations, and then there's Burt who's probably on forty stations.
Speaker 3: She's syndicated round.
Speaker 4: Elilah is, Yeah, she's kind of a different animal because she is not necessarily syndicated. She's pre recorded like American Top forty.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 4: So there's a show like Bobby Bones is syndicated because he does a show live from Nashville, but it goes all around. Delilah show is more like she's not on one radio, one principal radio station, flagship radio station. She's just all over, but she's kind of syndicated. And Susan said, it's because you just don't, like, you know, walk around and shake hands. In his babies. I don't do the hustle. Yeah, And I will also tell you that there has been somebody in this building that says, we don't want our morning show syndicated because if they are, they won't be able to be local anymore. Now that's a whole other can of worms that we'll just dip into really quick here. So we are a local radio station, you know this, And people say, well, you know, it's great. We're live and local, live and local, live and local. That's cool because then we can talk about, you know, the IDs Tower or the Mississippi River or Mall of America.
Speaker 3: And Kristin from cottage Growth, Kristin from.
Speaker 4: Cottage Growth, and we're local. We can talk about going to Famous Daves or going to a little pizza place downtown.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 4: But local doesn't matter as much anymore for whatever reason, because Bobby Bones is not local, but he does really well. A Big Bang Theory was not local. They never mentioned the Minnesota Twins, but it was the number one show. Bridgerton never once mentioned Mall of America, but it was huge. So people will say, old school motherfuckers, who should get out of radio? They have this fucking nineteen eighty five way of thinking, where it's like, you got to be local, you gotta be local, you gotta be local. Yeah, fuck you and your local because while it sounds nice to talk about Mall of America and cottage growth, it doesn't make people ever go wow, I want to listen to Dave Ryan Show because he mentioned Rice.
Speaker 3: Park right exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, nobody gives a fuck about Rice Park and they appreciate it if you mention it, but it doesn't make you number one. So the motherfuckers who said no to getting our show syndicated and you know who you are, because we wouldn't be as local, that that really sucks.
Speaker 3: They're listening right now.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't know, guys, I don't know whether they are or not. But people who go, yeah, you can't be local anymore because you know you're gonna be now, You're going to be in Austin, Texas, in Philadelphia and you can't mention Rice Park. Fuck you feel title this episode? Fuck you I can't. Okay, all right, that's it for the Minnesota. Goodbye. Any questions, any comments, anything you want to bring up, Send you emails to Ryan Show at katiewb dot Fuck you love you love you love you.
Speaker 3: Hello.
Speaker 1: It is Ryan and I was on a flight the other day playing one of my favorite social spin slot games on chumbacasino dot com. I looked over the person sitting next to me and you know what they were doing. They were also playing Chumpa Casino. Everybody's loving having fun with it. Chumba Casino's home to the hundreds at casino style games. You can play for free anytime anywhere. So sign up now at Chumbuckcasino dot com to claim you're free.
Speaker 4: Welcome bonus.
Speaker 1: That's Chumbuck Casino dot com and lived Chumba line.
Speaker 2: Sponsored by Chumpa Casino. No purchase necessary. VGW group boardware prohibited by Law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply.
Speaker 8: I have a way to make your morning more efficient. You can get caught up on the news in about seven minutes. That is my promise to you as the host of the Seven podcast from the Washington Post. And in that time I will run down seven stories, everything from the most important headlines to fascinating new information you might miss otherwise. My name's Hannah jeuwele go follow the Seven right now wherever you're listening, and we will get you caught.
Speaker 7: Up the siding on what to listen to is hard. Using Zoomo to stream music from iHeart Nineties Radio is easy, or play iHeart Country or hip hop beats your choice, all for free. Stream easy with Zoomo Play, get live and on demand entertainment with no logins, no sign ups, no accounts, no hassle. This November, get cozy and stay in from Movie Night with Air Force one starring Harrison Ford and Glenn Close, and the Art of War Is starring Wesley Snipes. All streaming free on Zoomo Play, Go to play dot zoomo dot com. Now life is hard, Zoomo is Easy.