Speaker 1: This is Pastor Rick's Daily Hope, the broadcast ministry of Pastor Rick Warren. Today we continue in the series Essentials for Living. In these lessons, Pastor Rick shares the power you need to live on, the principles you need to live by, and the purpose you need to live for so that you're truly living and not just existing. First, we're excited to let you know that very generous friends of Daily Hope have stepped forward with a special twenty five thousand dollars matching grant That means any gift you give to help Daily Hope share God's word with people everywhere will be doubled. So contact us right away, go to Pastororrick dot com or text the word Hope to eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four while you listen to today's broadcast. Right now, here's Pastor Rick Warren with the final part of a message called how to Connect with People Now.
Speaker 2: The Bible says the proverbs twenty five five and six. Better is open rebuke than hidden love, and wounds from a friend can be trusted. In other words, if you really care about the relationship, Sometimes there is only one alternative confront force the issue, Force the argument. Sometimes that's the only alternative in a relationship that's going south. You have to force the issue and you have to confront in love and be willing to put up with the pain. So let's get real personal right now. Some of you are scared to death.
Speaker 3: What I'm going to say? Who do you need to get honest with?
Speaker 2: What problem in your relationship are you pretending isn't a problem?
Speaker 3: What problem? I don't see any problem. It's sitting there right in the living room, Ember, I can see it. But what problem? I don't see it?
Speaker 2: And you keep skirting around the issue and not dealing with it, not confronting it, and just living in pseudo intimacy. Which of those issues do you need to be candid about? You See, there's another word for keeping the peace. It's called codependency. And that is not a good thing, and that is not what God created you for. Sometimes you must care enough to confront. Tom's going to talk about the next one.
Speaker 4: There were three pastors that got together and decided to work on this honesty thing. They sat down in a small group and said, let's just be honest. Let's just be honest with each other about what our greatest struggle, our greatest sin is The first guy launched things out, I honestly said, you know, I struggle with lust. I always have, and I honestly have had some very very evil thoughts lately. The next guy said, well, since you were on, I struggle with materialism, and I honestly i'm in debt up to hear. The third guy looked at him and said, well, I struggle with gossip, and I honestly can't wait to get to a telephone if relationships are going to work. Number five, we have to be confidential with information. Why because Proverbs eleven thirteen reminds us that a gossip betrays a confidence, but a trustworthy man a trustworthy woman keeps a secret, or either kind of person who can keep people's confidences so that they can trust you. We tend to think of gossip as one of those little sins, you know what I'm talking about, the misdemeanor sins. They're sort of down here on the list. But when God talks about gossip, he puts it on the list up with things like sexual immorality and murder. Why because it is so destructive to relationships. Gossip can tear a friendship apart a family, a part of church family. More churches have been destroyed by gossip than persecution, More friendships have been destroyed by gossip than any other kind of disloyalty. It's incredibly destructive to relationships when you trust someone and then find out you couldn't trust them. What's so destructive about it? My favorite story about gossip has always been the man who went to the rabbi and confess the sin of gossip and ask him what penance can I do for this sin? And the Rabbi said, here's what you do. You take this feather pillow and walk up on this mountain, rip it open, and just let the feathers fly everywhere. Man did that and came back and said, is that it? And no, said the Rabbi. Now I want you to go pick up every feather. That's what gossip does. It just goes everywhere. You don't know the impact that it's having, but it's tearing relationships apart. It's tearing you apart in ways that you don't realize. Now, what is gossip? When we talk about what is gossip, let me give you a definition. Gossip is talking about a situation with somebody it is neither a part of the solution or a part of the problem, neither one.
Speaker 5: If they're not a part of the problem.
Speaker 4: If they're not a part of the solution, and you're talking with them about it, that is gossip. And if we're honest with ourselves, what we're doing is we're making ourselves feel a little bit more important at somebody else's expense. We're talking about their hurts and their problems to make us feel like we're a little bit morally superior to them. That's the danger in the hurt of gossip. Gossip is such a dangerous thing that the one of the values that we have in our small groups at Saddleback is that we keep confidences.
Speaker 5: That small group, whether or our recovery group or.
Speaker 4: Any other kind of group, it's a place where you can come and talk about what you're facing in your life, and that stays within the group because this is such an important part of relationships. There's a story in the Old Testament about a family that struggled with gossip. You remember Moses from the Old Testament. He had a sister named Miriam who one day got caught up in gossiping about Moses amidst the rest of the people, God called them in as a family, Moses and Miriam and stood him in front of him and had a little talk. And he talked with Miriam and told her what she'd done wrong, and immediately on the spot, he gave her leprosy. Now, some of you are thinking that sounds terrible, but I'd like that to happen to the person who gossiped against me. Not leprosy, but really bad stomach flew something where they really knew how much this hurt.
Speaker 5: You know what God did next?
Speaker 4: God invited Moses to pray for Miriam's healing, the one who gossiped against him. Some of you, you've been deeply hurt by gossip, things that have been said around the office, or things that have been said in a breaking of a confidence, even with a Christian friend or in your family.
Speaker 5: And what God would say is pray for that person's.
Speaker 4: Healing that gossiped against you, so that you can be released from the hurt that's come into your life. Others of you, you've been the one gossiping. You've been the one who has been sharing things about other people. And this story is in the Old Testament. To remind us how serious it is and how hurtful it can be to people. So whatever side of this you are on, the truth is when you keep confidences, it makes relationships much more healthy, enables us to keep connecting to one another in healthy and genuine ways.
Speaker 2: Final key to connecting is to be committed. You must be committed to the relationship because good relationships take time. They don't happen by accident. They take cultivation, they take work, and it takes a lot of time to build a deep connection with somebody, and that requires commitment. I could not count the number of times that either KRII have felt like walking out of our marriage.
Speaker 3: Particularly in the early years.
Speaker 2: I just couldn't count it, because there were so many times we just thought this is not worth it. We are just from such different planets and we're so different this marriage could never possibly work. And we were both tempted many many times, but we didn't why because we had made it commitment. You see, we took a vow one day and it went like this till death do us part. And I made that vow, not just a kay. I made that vow to God. And so we said, we're going to keep this commitment.
Speaker 3: If it kills us.
Speaker 2: It nearly did many many times nearly did. And I have to be honest with you, there have been times in our marriage that the only thing that kept us together was simply that commitment. It wasn't love, it wasn't interest, It was simply a commitment we had made to God. I am so glad that we did not give up. I am so glad because today my wife is my best friend. I'd much rather spend time with her than any of you.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I can still remember the times that I would have spent I'm with anybody except her, anybody, but she is my best friend, and I honestly I cannot imagine my life without her. And to be fully understood by somebody and have them fully accept you, and to have that kind of soul intimacy is such a rare thing in this world, and the satisfaction that comes from it is Honestly, I can't describe it to you this morning, but I will say this, it is not an accident. We worked hard for our marriage and we still work at it, and we have been through that tunnel not once or twice, hundreds of times where you work out the next issue in your relationship and the next issue in your relationship, and the next issue in your relationship, and you keep at it because you love each other and you love God, and you've.
Speaker 3: Made a commitment. And that takes commitment.
Speaker 2: And if you want to get beyond shallow, superficial relationships, you got to be willing to stick with it. Some of you, your relationship right now, is hanging on by less than a thread. Some of you are already in the separation stage, physical separation.
Speaker 3: Do not give up. We have a miracle working God.
Speaker 2: The same God that raises the dead can raise a dead relationship if you're willing to be changed.
Speaker 3: But it takes a commitment.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Pastor Rick's Daily Hope Rip will be back in just a moment with the rest of today's lesson. You can sign up for Pastor Rick's free email devotional at pastorick dot com. That's pastorick dot com.
Speaker 6: Do you desire more of God He desires more of you? Let me ask you this, how's your relationship with God right now? Maybe you're walking closely with him and do you feel energized and alive or maybe you feel disconnected, like you're just going through the motions. Pastor Rick says, if you want to stay connected and even deepen your relationship with God, you need to be intentional. That's why every year Pastor Rick personally goes through a spiritual renewal study, and now he's made that very same study available to you. It's called Going Deeper with God, a personal renewal retreat. In this very special resource, Fastor Rick will personally lead you on a spiritual journey that brings you closer to God. Together, you'll go through a series of audio lessons and after each session, you'll take a little time to reflect and complete exercises in the companion world. Through this retreat, you'll experience a renewal of life within you. God will restore your joy. As he renews, refreshes, invigorates, and revives your spiritual life, You'll never be the same again. When you give a gift to Daily Hope, you're helping share the hope of Jesus with people everywhere, and right now, your gift will be doubled by twenty five thousand dollars matching grant called eight hundred six hundred five zero zero four. Or you can visit Pastorick dot com and will send you going deeper with God, a personal renewal retreat to say thanks again. That's eight hundred at six hundred five zero zero four or pastorick dot com. Be sure to let us know the call letters of this station when you give a gift to help meet the matching grant.
Speaker 1: Now back to more from God's Word with Pastor Rick Warren.
Speaker 2: The Bible says this in Proverbs seventeen seventeen. A friend loves at all times. Circle that word all that means, even when it's the inconvenient, even when you don't feel like it, even when they don't deserve it, even at personal cost. That's what real friendship is all about. And when you're blowing it and you're making a mistake, friends are in your corner when you're cornered, and they see you through when everybody else thinks you're through, and they walk in when everybody else walks out, and they are there with you even when you don't deserve it. And by the way, genuine friends take sides ifever you get in an argument with somebody and you've got a friend who goes, well, now I'm going to stay neutral in this. I'm not going to take sides. They're no friend. Listen, friends take sides. Friends are in your corner when you're cornered. They don't say, well, I'm just going to stay neutral in this. That's not much of a friend. The Bible says in Proverbs eighteen twenty four, a man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.
Speaker 3: I was talking about commitment. Now, what does this mean?
Speaker 2: A man of many companions may come to ruin. Well, you know what you're Socializing can keep you from having deep relationships. You can be so busy networking, so busy contacting, so busy socializing, so busy making acquaintances that you never spend the time and the energy and the effort to cultivate the deep, satisfying intimacy of a good friend or a good wife or a good husband that comes from taking the time to do it.
Speaker 3: Now, it's not wrong to have a lot.
Speaker 2: Of acquaintances, but they can keep you so busy that you don't develop any vital close relationships. Let me say it like this, you don't need a lot of friends to make it in this world. You just need a few good ones. You don't need a whole lot, So focus on quality, not quantity. You can have lots of acquaintances that means nothing. Take it from somebody who knows I know thousands, if not ten thousands of people. One good friendship is better than ten thousand acquaintances on any day, any day of the week, because the acquaintances aren't going to be there in the crisis. They're not going to be there when you need them. But the friends will. And every important close connection begins with a commitment.
Speaker 3: So here's my question. Who are you committed to and who knows it?
Speaker 2: Have you ever gone to any single individual besides your spouse and said, I just want you to know that I will always be there for you and I mean it. Have you ever said that to anybody? Have you ever established that kind of intentional commitment, say I want to grow close to you as a friend. Let me say this, particularly to men. Do you have anybody in your life who holds you accountable? Do you have anybody who has the freedom to be candid with you?
Speaker 3: As I said earlier?
Speaker 2: If you don't, I feel sorry for you. He said, Well, I got a lot of friends. Now I'm not talking about that. Oh I got a lot of Queen, I'm not talking about that. Do you have anybody that you are committed to them and they are committed to you and you know that, and they know that I'm not going to be with you and you're going to be with them. He said, Rick, I'm sorry, I'm just too busy. I don't have time for that. Then you're too busy. Let me remind you that the ultimate issue in life is not accomplishment, but relationships. Not accomplishments, but relationships. When you get to heaven, God is not going to say what did you accomplish and go ooh boy, that's pretty impressive. Whoo, We've got a special place for you if it's the size of your head. When you get to heaven, god im gonna say, show me all the things you did in life. God's gonna say, how did you treat other people? Because if I have not love, I am a sounding brass and a tinkling symbol. You may be accomplishing all kinds of things, but if you're stepping on people while you're doing it, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: In fact, it's bad. So here's the bottom line.
Speaker 2: You need people in your life who will do these six things for you. You need people who will be courageous and considerate and constructive and candid and confidential and committed. But the only way you're gonna get these kind of people in your life is you have to be that kind of person. You can't expect other people to treat you this way if you don't treat them that way. You need people in your life who do these six things? Question, where are you gonna get them?
Speaker 3: Pa? The Bowling Alley nearest bar.
Speaker 2: You know, the more I understand human behavior, and the older I get, and the more I understand the deepest needs of human being, the more I am impressed with the brilliant concept that God created called the church. And I am more convinced than ever before that God made the Church to meet your deepest needs that cannot be met anywhere else. There is no other place that can meet the needs that the Church can meet in your life. Now Here at Saddleback, we have a safe place where you can develop these kind of relationships.
Speaker 3: It's called small groups.
Speaker 2: So he said, Rick, when are you gonna stop talking about small groups when you start going to one? Okay, the moment you get attached. I'm not saying this to convince you because I need you to go.
Speaker 3: I don't need you to go. You need to go. And as your.
Speaker 2: Pastor, I care about your emotional, spiritual, and physical wellbeing, and I happen to know that the only way certain needs in your life are going to be met is if you get into close connected community with a few people who are candid and confidential and committed and consider it and courageous and constructive.
Speaker 3: In your life. And that's called a small group.
Speaker 2: You know that if you attach two horses together, they can pull about nine thousand pounds of weight, But if you attach four horses together, they can pull not twice the amount eighteen thousand, they can pull about thirty thousand pounds of weight. That's called the power of synergy, where that the whole is greater than the parts. There are some problems in your life that you are never ever going to solve on your own. But when you get in a close relationship with a few other people who can help you, pray for you, encourage you, the power of synergy creates. And there are problems that have never been solved that will be solved simply by getting in relationships. Probably the best known psychologist in America Christian psychologist Larry Krabb. He wrote in this book Connecting, which I highly recommend. He says, when two people really connect, something is poured out of one and into the other that has the power to heal the soul of its deepest wounds and restores it to health. The one who receives experiences the joy of being healed, and the one who gives knows the even greater joy of being used to heal. Something good is in the heart of each of God's children that is far more powerful than everything bad in the world. It's there waiting to be released and works its magic.
Speaker 3: But you have to be connected now.
Speaker 2: At every stage in your life, you're going to need these kind of relationships. You're going to need a group of people for different reasons in different ways.
Speaker 3: You need to get connected.
Speaker 2: Let's bow our heads, Father, thank you that we don't have to go through life all alone. Thank you for the thousands of people who've made life affirming connections through the small groups that saddleback. For those who think they're too busy, Lord help them to wise up. And thank you most of all for the connections that we have through you, Jesus Christ. In your name, we pray.
Speaker 3: Amen.
Speaker 1: This is Pastor Rick's Daily Hope. We're so happy you've chosen to study along with us today. Rick will be back to close out our time today, but first we have some really exciting news. Generous friends of Daily Hope have offered a twenty five thousand dollars men matching grant. That means whatever amount you give to help share the hope of Jesus worldwide will be matched up to twenty five thousand dollars, So twenty five becomes fifty, one hundred becomes two hundred, and five hundred becomes a thousand. Whatever amount you give will be doubled by the grant. But don't wait, because we only have a few days to meet this match. Any amount not met will be lost, so please act quickly. Call eight hundred six hundred five thousand four, or you can visit Pastorick dot com and we'll send you going Deeper with God a personal renewal retreat to say thanks again. That's eight hundred six hundred five thousand four or Pastorick dot com. Be sure to let us know the call letters of this station when you give a gift to help meet the matching grant. Here's Pastor Rick with a letter from one of our listeners.
Speaker 7: Today, I want to share a letter from a new listener, Sherman, who's in Tennessee, and he writes that he and his wife used Daily Hope to study God's Word together. Here's what he wrote. Just recently, a friend of mine turned me on to your Daily Hope devotional and also gave me your CD series on the Lord's Prayer and Wow Together. My wife and I now listen to Daily Hope podcast. We take notes, we pray, we have great conversations about all the biblical teachings that we get from you, and we both look forward to that time of being encouraged and challenged and instructed. Now I know, Pastor Rick, that it was through the giving of other people that made it possible for me to hear the Daily Hope teaching, and so now I want to make an eternal investment myself by giving to this ministry so that others may be blessed and impacted in the same way that my wife and I have been. Well, Sherman, I'm so glad to hear that you and your wife for studying the Bible together. Nothing will do more for your marriage it will not only help you grow on faith, it will strengthen your marriage. And thank you for your financial gift. Without your help, we wouldn't be able to keep on reaching more and more people around the world with the good news of Jesus. We wouldn't be able to disciple them through the Daily Hope podcast. Because of your prayers and your financial support, we're able to partner working together to reach the world for Christ. So I'm so grateful for you and for your prayers and your financial support. God bless you.
Speaker 1: If you'd like to let Rick know how this broadcast has blessed you, please feel free to send him an email at Rick at Pastorrick dot com. That's Rick at pastorrick dot com. Be sure to join us next time as we look into God's word for our Daily Hope. This program is sponsored by Pastor Rick's Daily Hope and your generous financial support.