Speaker 1: You're listening to KPI AM six forty the Bill Handle Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Hey, here's the bottom line. You have to be an American citizen to vote. I don't get it. All you have to do is say you're an American citizen. That's like being stopped by a cop for blowing through a red light. Can I see your license? I have one? Can I see it? No, you can't see it. You have to take my word that I have a driver's license. I have never understood this. And now handle on the news. Ladies and gentlemen, here's Bill Handle and word. Good morning everybody. It is Hey, Monday morning, August twenty six, and over the weekend, stuff happened, and I gotta tell you what I did over the weekend. Not that you care. But since I'm behind the my phone and you're not, you get my story. I don't get yours. In the meantime, Hello to everybody. Good morning, Cono. Hey first again, Yeah you are first again. That's true. And the reason Amy is not is I can't see Amy.
Speaker 2: Working on it. Okay, fair and chills in today. Normally Ann does this? Wait a minute. What It's very easy to do you need somebody, I'm kind of busy doing other stuff.
Speaker 1: No. Wait, wait, wait, babies, Wait a minute, Wait a minute. This sounds like me. This sounds like you know. I wouldn't. I wouldn't do my own printing in the morning. You know that, Michelle. Have you noticed that I am now doing my own printing and I'm pretty together.
Speaker 2: I'm actually shocked.
Speaker 1: I understand because for twenty no, for thirty years I've been on the show. Now thirty one Morning Drive is that's scary as hell. The I always have someone set me up in the morning, and now I do it on my own. Very excited. And when I brought podcast from the house. I love the commute from the house. It used to be from the Persian Palace where I lived. It was a good fifteen seventeen minute commute. These days it's a ten foot commute. It's much nicer.
Speaker 3: Morning Neil, Good morning, Willie Wolf. Happy Monday to you, buddy.
Speaker 1: Thank you. And there's Amy in sort of bluish purplesh this morning. How are you?
Speaker 2: It's Perry Winkle.
Speaker 1: Oh got it an Perry Winkle. I've always wondered what sort of I never understood Perry winkle. I just don't understand that, like dope.
Speaker 2: It's one of those quictures purple.
Speaker 1: Why just said that blue purple kind of thing? And you just heard Michelle's voice Michelle, good morning, Michelle in for and this morning, Michelle, producer of this show for what's twenty six years?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, all that time she printed for you, she did, and she won't even she won't even start my eyepad for me.
Speaker 1: And you know, I'm pretty happy that I have to be honest with you. When Michelle left, I was reasonably happy. And I'll tell you why. Because Michelle, I am completely whipped across the board. I have mentioned many times is that the jar that is firm, filled with formaldehyde and has my balls in it is transferred from woman to woman in my life, starting with Michelle in the morning, and going on with my partner, going on in the afternoon, and then swinging home at night and coming out the next morning, and Michelle I would ask for a you know, Michelle, while you're up, can you get me a cup of coffee? She would just laugh. She wouldn't say no, she would just look at me and start laughing.
Speaker 2: I used to do it when I first started but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you see, I know. See that's the problem. I want new people starting every six months so I can get my damn so I don't have to get my coffee.
Speaker 3: I think that happens naturally every six months somebody wants to leave.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and happy birthday, handle.
Speaker 1: Oh thank you. That was yesterday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was birthday.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't care about birthdays. You know, you wake up in the morning, Yeah, what are you different the day before? And I've never I've never ever been impressed with birthday. Why is that because of the accomplishment that you have for having been born, and you celebrate the day you were born because it's such a fabulous accomplishment.
Speaker 3: You know, I call your mom, I know you.
Speaker 1: I know you can understand. I can understand receiving the Nobel Prize, I got it. You celebrate that understood being born. Not so much. Okay, I think that's it. I was going to go through a whole review, which we don't have time to do, of what I did over the weekend with my daughter, Pamela Vegas. I did. I did. One of my best friends is there, Neil being the other one?
Speaker 3: Look at me, con O, Yeah, yeah, Cono, you're not my best friend.
Speaker 1: You've been you barely make acquaintance, to be honest with you. All right, guys, are you ready to do it? Handle on the news on Monday morning, August twenty sixth, with Neil and Amy and me lead story. Well, the fear of that regional war between You've got welcome as already that were with Israel, but Lebanon and Iran has somewhat faded. It has calmed down, and I will explain at seven o'clock because there's a lot of moving parts involved with this. But over the weekend it went the other way. Israel and Iran particularly hasblah was we're moving just balls to the wall towards a war. And now it has calmed down, and I'll explain what and how and if coming up at seven o'clock.
Speaker 4: Thousands stuck at seatack. So there was a suspected cyber attack at the Seattle Airport, actually at the port over the weekend, which left a lot of people missing flights, missing connections, or just big delays. And as of yesterday, the Port of Seattle's website was also was still down and inaccessible, and passengers are saying that at the ticketing counter they're having to manually enter information and it's just causing a huge, huge headache.
Speaker 1: No, that's it. Are you eating already? I'm too busy with my shortbread cookies this morning.
Speaker 2: Shortbread cookies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, eleven Yeah, And it's perfect with a coffee. There's just something about shortbread that just works with coffee. And it just works. And it's the cheapest shortbread cookies out out there. Sandy's or whatever. You know, they have some really expensive cookies like Pepperidge farm or you know, pretty pricey cookies. Yeah, these are.
Speaker 3: I just happened to learn that the highest. But no, but it's pretty high yourself. We're just letting some news around your Ye see, I have the power to do that.
Speaker 2: He did.
Speaker 3: God, that's God shutting.
Speaker 1: His mic off.
Speaker 3: Okay, there he is, alrighty another.
Speaker 1: You didn't answer Hold on, wait wait, you didn't answer the question about the cookies. We didn't hear what about it? I didn't hear you. What is uh? What is a high end cookie that you pay a lot of money for in the supermarket without going to one of those cookies?
Speaker 3: Oh, I was talking about bakery supermarket. Yeah, Pepperidge Farmers, Milanos, pepperch farm.
Speaker 1: Oh do you know that Costco. You can buy a big boss of the dark chocolate Mulano cookies. Yep, and those two packs and I mean just like a palette full of it for the best price out there. Okay, let's go back to the news.
Speaker 2: I thought that was the news.
Speaker 1: That was the news. So we still have a story to do before we take a break.
Speaker 3: Wherever you're buying your cookies, try not to do them at the seven to eleven store because they keep getting ransacked. Another one this weekend on Saturday, large group of these young folks, these whipper snappers, coming in the latest in a string of very similar crimes throughout Los Angeles. And now you have a councilman calling for the city to provide more police officers and other safety resources after these thieves got away. Similar to the ones back on August ninth, round fifty young people coming in vandalizing on Olympic Boulevard, another seven to eleven and they come in, they ransack them, they take stuff obviously in the look.
Speaker 1: I have a question, Neil, maybe you can answer. This is the smash and grabs that go into the North Strims and other majors they grab the jewelry, they grab those really high and purses that go in the thousands of dollars. Have we reached the point in society where they're doing a smash and grab for big opes? Do you find out a problem?
Speaker 3: Actually, a couple of things might be going on. I think it's thrill. I think you're getting large groups of young people at the thrill is going in there and breaking things up. However, what people don't realize is cigarettes. Cigarette packs. The boxes go for about one hundred bucks, and they have good resale value.
Speaker 1: You're talking about the cases of it, you know, not the case you remember, that's the packet. Yeah, that one.
Speaker 3: I think this happened last week where car drove through that smoke shop or whatever they've been going. They've been hitting that same smoke shop a handful of times or whatever, and they're stealing cartons of cigarettes.
Speaker 1: That makes sense, I'll buy that.
Speaker 3: So there are things that you may not think would be worth money, but are valuable on the street.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and let's not forget the big gulps, you know, incredibly valuable.
Speaker 4: All right, Even parking meters aren't safe from scammers anymore. In Redondo Beach, they've discovered that fake QR codes had been slapped on parking meters. It was affecting about one hundred and fifty of them around this city. And so basically what they would do is they get these stickers with a QR code and say here, scan the QR code to pay for your parking. Problem is, that's not how you pay for parking in Redondo Beach. And officials said, you've got to be really careful because it would take you to a website that read poi by phone, poy by phone dot online instead of pay by phone dot com, which is the real official website.
Speaker 1: I would think this works on Hawaii well, far more than inside California. Boy, POI POI? Yeah? Do you ever eaton pois? Don't? They never?
Speaker 3: They never use those QR qudes. By the way, they have an app.
Speaker 4: Yes, there's two approved ways to pay for parking in Redondo Beach in their apps websites.
Speaker 3: All Right, the largest proposed grocery store merger in US history is going to court.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: You've got, as we've talked about on the show before, Albertson's and Kroger wanting to merge.
Speaker 1: But they got to face a very.
Speaker 3: Skeptical US government in court first to figure out if this is not an.
Speaker 1: FTC problem, you know, it's they're saying that it would be too much of the market, controlling too much of the market. Right, Well, if you put Kroger and Ablerson together, that would be thirteen percent. Walmart is at twenty two percent, and the government can't do much about that. Google is at ninety percent of the search market, but it is a single company. So in some cases the government forces companies to break up, like AT and T was broken up and divisions were sold the international versus the local part of AT and T and earlier on well way back at antitrust, do you had standard oil that had to be broken up? And that was of course the Rockefellers and what else was broken up? Oh? The networks were broken up, the networks. It was NBC that owned virtually everything, and that was broken up and it's spun off ABC. That's how ABC was created.
Speaker 2: Wasn't the phone system as well?
Speaker 1: Yeah? That AT and T exactly. Yeah, Yeah, that's absolutely correct. So you know, I don't know, and they're saying no, but if you're talking about thirteen percent of the market, they don't want their teen percent. You know they're going to fight it, so they're in court. Oh, by the way, whenever in antitrust action is brought by the FTC, it's a civil case and it has to go to court. The court has to okay the breakup and order the breakup. The Feds don't, They just filed a lawsuit.
Speaker 4: The upside to a hurricane. Hurricane hone just passed south of Hawaii on Sunday. It passed about forty five to fifty miles offshore and dumped a whole lot of rain. But that is good news because the National Weather Service has called off its red flag warnings, saying that strong winds could lead to wildfires on the dryer side of the islands.
Speaker 2: But so much rain fell, not a problem anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you missed these things, look at the kind of winds and that's the hurricane missing the island. When something gets hit directly by a hurricane, it is just insanity. Katrina and New Orleans direct hit Galveston, Texas. Back at the turn of the last century, three thousand people died wiped out Galveston, although in those days you didn't have the warning system, so it's they dodged the bullet, which is really good news, even though the flooding was just crazy.
Speaker 3: All right, again, off again, on again, off again. Former President Donald Trump. If you remember after the GOP presidential when he became the GOP presidential nominee. Earlier this month, he said that he would absolutely do a debate on ABC with Vice President Kamala Harris. Now he's saying that he might not because he watched ABC Fake News the other morning and he said that they're so anti Trump and had a panel of Trump haters, and it's like, would I do this?
Speaker 1: Right? So he wants to wants to go back to only doing a debate on Fox News because Fox News is the only unbiased platform that exists in the Donald Trump world, and in front of a Fox audience that is also important, and that is the only way he's going to get an unbiased stage for a debate. Well, he says.
Speaker 3: He says on social media that Harris turned down Fox, NBC, CBS, and even CNN.
Speaker 1: Yeah she did.
Speaker 2: She's only agreed to one.
Speaker 1: And that was on ABC that was originally scheduled, I believe. So we'll see what happens with that. And I guess Trump is saying, if it's only ABC, then I'm not going to do it, even though I said I was going to do it. So it's up in the air. In the end, is there going to be a debate beyond ABC or not ABC? I don't know. But whoever ever says no, I think is going to be at a disadvantage is going to be regarded as a coward.
Speaker 2: Well, then are they both at a disadvantage?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, absolutely who in the end, it's going to be whoever says yes, I will appear in two or three debates. Trump has already said I will appear in as many three debates for debates, Harris said no, absolutely not. And Harris is taking a huge chance on this. We know what Trump is going to do. He knows what he's going to do in the debates. It certainly worked with Joe Biden. But I think there is a fear, a genuine fear in the Trump camp that Kamala Harris is that it's a given that she's going to do far far better than Joe Biden is. Well, you know, a dead armadillo would have done far far better than what Joe Biden did. I'd watch that.
Speaker 3: With you are the dumbest I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: You're a faigure faking dying all right? Oh damn shortbread cookies do it to you every time.
Speaker 4: It was a heck of a hall for Harris. Vice President Kamala Harris has raised five hundred and forty million dollars in the month since she started her race to be the president. Eighty two million of that came in during the convention last week.
Speaker 1: That's three to one. So we're gonna see what happens on that one and one of three's one of three things is going to happen with the race now between Kamala Harris and Donald Trump. One, we know we're in a honeymoon period, There's no question about that. That's not unusual right after a convention, and her numbers grew fairly dramatically, and she is now ahead of Donald Trump either a little bit or a fair amount in those battleground states. Nothing else matters if the honeymoon, if it flat lines where it doesn't go up, doesn't go out, the goat doesn't go down. During the the between now and the election, it's a real fight. I mean, it is a real fight. And you can flip a coin and if it continues on this trend, then don Donald Trump becomes the runner up, then he has a much bigger problem. And also the argument is for those that are saying, well, she's starting from scratch, and therefore she is not starting from scratch. She inherited this massive democratic machine from Joe Biden, so she's in pretty good shape. Her problem is number one or politics, of course, because she's pretty left wing. Uh. And also the country gets to know her, let's find out. And she's not debating either, or excuse me, she's not doing press conferences either, and she's getting nailed for that, as she should. So we'll see what happens. Lot of money raised, I don't think that's ever been raised in one month the most. Yeah, five hundred and forty million dollars. That is a chunk of money.
Speaker 3: How people can run for the biggest seat in the world and not be mandated to talk to the public or to debate is beyond me. I don't even know why we give them an opportunity. Just says you're going to have to do three debates.
Speaker 1: And it's well, because who makes that determination is the candidate. It's the candidate. It's as simple but shouldn't as well. But who's going to make that decision. Who's going to make that decision? You can do that law, Bill handle, now you're gonna do that by law. There's already tons of public pressure for Paris to do or press conference and so, and there's tons of pressure for debates. It's up to the candidate to debate or not.
Speaker 3: Debate, and I'm saying it shouldn't.
Speaker 1: When's the last time a candidate refused to debate. I'm trying to remember or when that is. I don't remember. I don't remember there has been. I don't know modern history, there was no debate. I don't think Dwight Eisenhower debated. I don't think Harry Truman debated. Certainly Kennedy and Nixon had their famous debates. I don't think Lyndon Johnson debated. Correct me if I'm wrong on that. But it's up to the candidates, not even up to their party anymore. Once the nomination hits the candidate makes all the decisions. Then it's just a question of listening to advisors yes or no.
Speaker 3: Well, along the lines of a candidate making their own decisions. You had Robert F. Kennedy Junior coming out, he stepped down from his running and of course in big news headlines and all supporting it, you have him backing Donald Trump. Now the family is coming out and going, holy hell, he is pulling his pants down. And and he went to the position he Kennedy's have built.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he went to Donald's. He went actually from what I understand both campaigns and said, if you give me an important post in the administration, maybe a cabinet post, I will endorse you. I'll drop out and endorse you. And it looks like and we don't know if it's a quid pro quote by the way, we don't know if Trump agrees to that, and or he gives him a position that really has no power. So Robert Kennedy Junior has dropped his campaign, which was basically his platform is I am a whore, and he has joined the Trump campaign. Let's take a break. Could kill a Perpectney.
Speaker 3: You could sleep around, you could do anything if you're a Kennedy, and they will.
Speaker 2: Cover it up.
Speaker 1: Except I don't know what. I don't think now anything you partner with Trump, Well, now I don't know about that anymore. I don't know if that's anymore. I don't know. And also he's a conspiracy theorist. The boy his anti vax position is at odds with most of America.
Speaker 2: All Right, turns out flattery will get you everywhere.
Speaker 4: Hr McMaster is the former national security advisor to former President Trump.
Speaker 2: He's got a new book coming out.
Speaker 4: He said on Facination yesterday that Trump needs a competent team around him because he is susceptible to being manipulated. And he said people kind of know how to push his buttons, especially buttons associated with maintaining the complete support of his political base.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he has the reputation of not listening to his advisors. A matter of fact, he has said that he doesn't particularly listen, that he in fact makes decisions, which she does. But as I said earlier, Kamala Harris is going to rely even if she becomes president, She's going to rely enormously on advice and consultants and Donald Trump simply doesn't. And we're getting more and more of that from people that used to work for Donald Trump. Do you think that kind of thing works handsome for him? It does, But what happens is he makes decisions on the fly, and some of them are very good decisions. He's given a lot of credit for what happened in China dealing with NATO, for example. A lot of people think, including me, that him stuffing it to NATO, saying hey, we're out of there unless you pay what you promise to pay, and he's given credit for that, and the rest of the time he's not given credit for a lot of stuff. But it's those are his decisions, and it looks like without input from his advisors, or if there is input, then he's not listened to. We know initially for example, with Putin, you know is best friend Putin when he outright said I don't believe our national security agencies at all, all seventeen of them. I believe Putin. That was tough. Okay, let's move on.
Speaker 3: I just wasn't sure if that kind of thing works, so I want to do I think it does that. I think it's incredibly smart. I think it does thinks okay, all right. In the no Dah file. You know, you've got social media, you've got the interwebs, and a lot of misinformation spreads faster than ever before. While a new study published in the Journal of Research and Science Teaching reveals that when people hear the misinformation first, even the facts, the actual hardcore facts presented to them afterward, are they believed to be the least effective way to change their minds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now that was interesting. It makes sense, but that was interesting. In other words, if you're given misinformation and then you're given one of two things, as you just said, if you give just and here are the real facts, people tend not to believe that where these guys are liars, here are the facts in which they lie. That is more impressive, and the league does a better job, so it worth it to call it. It's so if this, if the debaters Trump and Kamala Harris, if they do debate, the most effective way of doing it, it seems, is both of them calling each other liars for the entire debate and throwing out facts.
Speaker 3: Kind of but you know, it goes to show you there is a major difference between good sound reasoning and reasons that sound good. Oh good, point, well said, well, to consume the reasons that sound good and just leave it there.
Speaker 4: Flash flooding fatality in Grand Canyon. They found the body of a woman from Arizona who was hiking around the Grand canyon when flash flooding hit. Our body was covered on Sunday. They've rescued like one hundred people out of the canyon because when these monsooner rains come, they just flood out the canyon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was crazy. If you saw the video of it, and this woman was reported missing. Well, when you're missing during a flash flood like this, you are dead. And that's exactly what happened.
Speaker 3: Another reason not to go anywhere flooding in one part of the world. And then now you have a tourist who had died. Two more missing after an ice cave collapsed during a tour visiting a glacier in Iceland. So don't go where there can be lots of water, and don't go where there can be lots.
Speaker 1: Of hard water.
Speaker 3: Yeah, five tourists were in this organized tour and a wall of ice collapsed.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I wonder if that's ever happened before. Oh it must have, yeah, because we haven't heard about it, so I'm assuming it's still relatively safe. So you know, here's the bottom while ice fishing. Has anybody fallen through the ice with ice fishing, I'm assuming so? Right not. Let's do one more.
Speaker 2: And this is the one you want to do the Devil Man.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, Which one do you want to do? Which one do you want to do?
Speaker 2: This one's really weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's say you pick it Amy.
Speaker 2: Oh jeez, Okay, let's do this one.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: The frontman of a hardcore punk band from La went on what they're calling a terrorizing trek near Yosemite over last week. His name's Anthony Melhoff. He's the front guy for Cancer Christ, which mixes Christian, Satanic, and other reptilian imagery in an intentionally and outlandishly sacrilegious mix.
Speaker 2: Sounds like a lot of fun, So here's what he did. He was arrested last Wednesday.
Speaker 4: Police and Americo Mariposa County say he assaulted a restaurant employee. He led park rangers on a car chase, He crashed a car, stole a bicycle, then threatened workers at a lodge with a knife, then stripped down to his underwear pictures, tried to kidnap a store manager, stole the manager's car, started ramming it into another car in the road, and then crashed again. He was arrested and then assaulted deputies when he was being assessed at a local hospital.
Speaker 1: Yeah, kind of crazy. Quick question before we veil, for those of you that do belong to one of those major mega churches Televangelis, televangel televangel Televangelical churches. What are the great buddy huh, thank you doing great? What are the chances that cancer Christ will be performing? Just throwing that out there.
Speaker 3: Okay, the best part of this bill is apparently he went to some sort of I don't know eatery and approached her pregnant waitress, touched her on the belly and said, the spirits led me to you, and your baby belongs to me, before he asked her when her break started so he could be waiting for her.
Speaker 1: Very strong. All right, kf I am six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch my show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.