Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine.
Speaker 2: Day, Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we.
Speaker 3: Are get off our show, idiot.
Speaker 2: The kids are crying or turning off.
Speaker 3: Their countries are screwing it up.
Speaker 1: Gold Play inter Murals, Brother, gold Play Intermurals.
Speaker 3: They're supposed to be with youure adults, but they're really not. Who's the kid here?
Speaker 1: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 3: Are you kidding me? Now? Here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 2: I'll be honest with you, guys. I usually am sometimes a little too honest to be honest with you, but I was a little bummed heading in today because I thought, you know, there's nothing I can do about it, but I thought we would have a short show because the Louis of Bats. Of course you can hear them once again. It's Sports Talks in ninety They were going to be pre empty, and look, it's good to have the Bats back. But you know I want three hours. I'm selfish and you guys, obviously it's really me just worried about you all. If you don't get your three hour fix? Am I doing my job? I mean, you went a week without me last week, but it worked out well to where the bats ended early. Unfortunately they came up short they lost, So a nice surprise to get a full show today. And then also I'm sure he did it just because he's a nice friend and he was trying to help my ego and help my insecurities. First thing, one of the first things that the tribal chief himself, Austin Montgomery said to me when we walked in today, was that he noticed the facial hair. Now, yes, was it the truth? I think it was the truth? Yes? Was it because we were closer to one another and there was light, There.
Speaker 4: Was actual like light. Yes, And the lights here are bright when you walk into the studio. So yeah, I saw it. I see it right it out.
Speaker 2: Dude, It's yeah. I think I'm going to although I have both of my kids have their first first baseball game this of the season coming up on Saturday, opening Day for Moves. He's playing at the at the Oklhona League over there by Southern High School. This will be his third year playing te ball, and I think because of his age, not his third year, but he did fall ball and then now this is his second time doing baseball. In the spring, and I think he'll do an I think because of his age, I believe next year it's gonna be the same thing. He'll still be playing te ball, which man, my man's gonna be ready to not use the tee like he already is. But he has his first game and it's at eleven fifteen on Saturday. For all of you that want to want to come out and watch him, I'm sure, I'm sure you'd love to come watch my son play t ball. But my daughter also, she's playing in her third season in the Miracle League, which is a league for special needs children and adults. And it's you've heard me talk about it before. It's it's amazing and it sucks that they played the first time. But Mom's gonna take Moose, I'm gonna take Maya, and then I'll end up probably making my way over to see him wrap up. Her games don't last that long. But long story short, I don't want to show up looking like the ungroomed father at you know, at the at opening day, you know what I mean. And there's really no way like where it is right now, and that's my worries, Like I could give it another three weeks and probably still look like a homeless man that hasn't showered in a month. And at that point I would have just you know, it would have been a waste of time. So I'm gonna have to By the end of the week, I'll know what I'm doing. I'll know.
Speaker 4: Let anyone tell you, like, hey, I noticed that, or like, have anyone just kind of backwards kind of tell you you look rough?
Speaker 2: It's said as it sounds. Here's the honest truth. I haven't seen anybody, oh okay, like you and my family.
Speaker 4: I feel like if you were to run into Venetti, he would tell you that you, like, in a very Venette way, like you look rough, just because.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, he would tell me I look rough. He would ask me if I've showered lately. He would absolutely And that's that's one of the one of the actual qualities of Venetti is that he doesn't have the ability to not be really direct. And actually I've noticed this when I listened to him on has that he's a little the older he gets, the more direct and blunt he is, which I'll never forget. I showed up to the spring game years ago, no joke, probably nine years ago. I had just been here for a few months at the time of the spring game back in twenty sixteen, and I showed up wearing pleated khaki pants and a red polo, looking like an absolute dork. I don't really know what I was. I think at the time, I was trying to like figure out, Okay, do I dress like I would typically dress, or now that I'm working for Cards Radio and we're doing a spring game live show, do I need to dress like a business professional? And sure enough I looked ridiculous, and Benetti didn't say anything other than you look like Jake from State Farm, dude, And he was right, I did.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: He's always been really direct, so nice. But you know, it's actually a you know, you need people in your life that'll tell you things that they know a lot of people won't tell you. So it makes sense you don't need somebody to be like direct and like mean and nasty about it, but there are I think everyone needs at least one person that you know will give you not only the absolute truth, but it's somebody that you value like they're like, you know, it's not only that they'll tell you something that others won't, but also like you value their opinion, right, Like there's people I love that would try to tell me what they think I should do, you know, on my show, and God love them, but like I wouldn't listen to them just because you know, like that's not you know, that's not a personal thing. It's just you know, So it's that balance. It's one somebody that doesn't have the fear of like maybe hurting your feelings, but also you trust that they are coming from a good place. So we'll see. I don't know. I just I got out of the shower today and I could tell that it's in the it's in the stages of like everywhere on my face there is some hair, but like I got these patches. Man. And for those who don't know what we're talking about, I mentioned it in the five o'clock hour yesterday whenever I got I guess it was yesterday. I was getting ready to leave. I had to put ocean on my face because I'm just trying not to peel and look like a snake losing its skin. It's really gross, but that's what happens whenever I get when I get sunburned, so I put off shaving because I didn't want my face to start peeling, because that's the first like that's an invitation for it to just start, you know, like anytime. Like not again, I'm getting too graphic. I don't know. I mean, to me, this is gross. Maybe it's not as gross to others, but like if I'm not careful, I can just start moving around and like skin's falling off me and it's really disgusting. So again, yeah, that is a little too graphic. So anyways, I was loationing my face to try to, you know, get some moisturizer to where it wasn't gonna it wasn't gonna start peeling, even though I hadn't shaved yet. And I realized that there's there's some patches within the within, the within whatever you call this on my face that is either white or gray, and it really hit me, like damn, Okay, I hadn't shaved in over a week, probably the first time I've done that as an adult, and this is it you got, you know, somebody said, somebody yesterday's on Twitter called it the Kentucky chrome. Look, I don't know if that's a thing somebody. You know, I've always been more of a silver fox kind of guy. But like I'm not full gray. But then again, you know, like apparently ladies like that. Sure, I can't wait to get to my uh my, my gray face. I'm sure not like and I'm not looking for I'm not looking for ladies by any means. But like you know, if if if someone was to say, oh, I think it's I think it's kind of hot to have gray, that would be you know, her preference whatever. But like also you would then just realize, Okay, that's now like you're viewed as the old guy. You know what I'm saying. Yeah, like, oh, that's when you fully make the transition. What do they call him? Zaddy? Is that a thing?
Speaker 3: Is that a thing?
Speaker 2: Like I've heard that? Is that a thing? Like I'm not I mean, I'm not, I'm not that but anyway, yeah, real ones know. But anyways, I'll uh, I appreciate you acknowledging the facial hair that I do have, because it did hit me pretty hard because I hear I'm thinking, like, right, I'm shaving in a week, like I look rough, and Austin's like I can't even tell bro that's what he told me on the yesterday, which to be fair, it's not as if, like you know, it's not as if. It's again, the joke here is not necessarily that I have some gray hair coming in. It's probably pretty normal for somebody that is thirty six going on thirty seven. But it's that like I can't grow facial hair, which honestly has been a benefit, like I don't have to like wake up every day and straight razor in my face. Like I can go a couple maybe three days and just run the trimmer over it, and I'm usually pretty good, which again like low maintenance, and uh, you know that's that's a benefit. But just for those curious, had a couple of comments on the text line yesterday, you ain't, I'm not balding. You can wonder about that. Got a full head of hair, and I can and I got a great hairline going to hew you do. I mean, it doesn't do much for me, but you know, I've always been insecure because I shaved my head whenever I went to not shave my head. But like I've had the same haircut for a buzz cut. Yeah, buzz cut for like you know, eighteen nineteen years, no joke, And it was because I went away to school play basketball, and you know, I realized the shaggy blonde hair that I had. You know, I kind of stuck out like a sore thumb with my team, which I did for a variety of reasons, but the hair made it even worse. So I decided to just you know, cut my hair off. And I've kept it that way ever since. I mean, whenever I show people old pictures of me when I had hair, they're in like disbelief, like I can't believe. I can't believe that's you. It makes you look more Bully County with hair. Yeah, I can totally. I totally get it. I wouldn't mean I've never thought about that, but I get it. I don't mean I don't mean to offend you, of course not. Yeah, sort of trust me, I get it. But I've always been insecure that people think I cut my hair short because I'm like trying to cover up that I'm balding, and that will be like the last thing that you do.
Speaker 3: That would be the.
Speaker 2: Worst thing, though, is like if I did try to, like, hey, I'll show you, guys, you want to see these luscious locks, give me, you know, give me a few months. You'll see what I'm working with, I got, I got some flow and then like it meant it didn't happen right. And this reminds me of an old Sinfeld episode, which I there's every segment I feel like, no matter what we're talking about, I can find a Sinfeld episode to reference. And it's probably not necessary, but I'm gonna do it anyway. Elaine is dating a guy who is a swimmer, and he like a competitive swimmer, so he shaves his he has his hair really short, and he wears that you know, that that cap on his head when he swims because it, you know, it makes you a little bit more. I guess loose in the water, you can get some kind of an advantage. I don't know. Well, then she sees him with hair like an old picture I think it might be his driver's license and she's like this is you and he's like yeah, and she was like, you have to grow your hair back out, and he was like really and she was like yeah, and he basically she basically cut him off like either you grow the hair out or we're done. Now that I've seen what I could have and this is this, and he's like all right, fine. He tries to grow his hair out and he can't. Like he didn't realize is that he'd been shaving his head for years and he wasted whatever good hair years he had left. Real tragic situation. So I think I remember that episode. I need to dive more into Seinfeld.
Speaker 4: Every time I've ever had it on, it's just been background fodder and then something happens and it's funny. That's how I got into the office. But it hasn't caught on for me for Seinfeld yet. But I do think it's Hilene.
Speaker 2: I'm not jealous now that you say that, because I haven't. I haven't stumbled upon a show that like I was missing out and and didn't realize it and I can just get lost in it with like you know, tons of seasons. It's been a long time since I've done that. Now, with that said, I haven't really tried, Like, for example, I've never seen Game of the Game of Thrones that's super popular. It's a lot to get into. Yeah, Like it's an investment, right, it's a commitment. Yes, you got to really be into it. And I just don't know if I have the time or energy or interest in that. And then Ted Lasso another show that like, how many seasons are there of that? I think there's only two? What they're company? Yeah, I mean it's really popular. I'll eventually watch it, I think, I mean, I I gotta say it, though, I don't think there's any chance it could meet expectation because I mean the way I mean, Tony Venetti said that it will make you a better person if you watch it, like what I loved ted, like like going into that show knowing that I'm supposed to be an improved human being after watching that, like, that's gonna make it a tough watch, Like I Benetti kind of ruined it, to be honest with.
Speaker 4: You, I mean, he might have had three seasons and they're about to possibly have a fourth one. Their third one was supposed to be their last one.
Speaker 2: The issue I have with shows now is that I I mean, I feel like I've got a good memory, or at least I used to. Like people make fun of me for remembering, like my friends that I grew up with, even family, like they'll make fun of me for remembering so much that they don't remember in details of things. And yet like now I don't know if it's just I'm getting older, or what it is. But I'll watch a season of a show and love it, be like, oh that was awesome. Well then sure enough, you know, nine ten months, maybe a year goes by, and then I watched the second season and I don't remember the first season. I know I loved it, Yeah, but like I have a tough time keeping up, Like do you ever go back and watch like because I obviously I watched like the what you Know previously on whatever, and it'll give you a brief rundown of what you watched in the previous season. But even that kind of leaves me like, wait a second, I remember this scene, but I don't know what happened or why they're there right.
Speaker 4: Actually, usually my brain stimulates after I watch like the wrap up or some sort of hype video leading into that next season. Shows like The Officer Seinfeld, I feel like they have many seasons, kind of like pointless comedy, and like I can, I can. I could totally remember stuff like that, But when it comes to like and I'll go back and rewatch that all the time. But if it comes to like shows I'm watching now, like oh my god, what's the what? Like when we watched agathall along a couple months ago, or like Ted Lasso, I'm not going back and like watching all.
Speaker 2: The season and it's the show. Just wait till the new season comes out. The show. Now, if the show is written, I think the way that shows should be written, you you will clearly have a better understanding and you'll be I guess more locked in if you are like completely caught up. But I think you should be able to watch new seasons of shows and realize that you may miss something here and there, but you can still enjoy it. Right because here's the reality. Most people binge what they watch now, Like right now, there's this show that my wife and I have gotten into it. It's on Hulu and it's about the Natalia Gray story. I'm not sure if you're familiar with it, Austin, but it's the woman who was adopted by a family from Indianapolis and she has dwarf Ism and they later realize that she's actually an adult. She's not a kid. She's she's pretending to be. Like it's a true thing, it's a really it's wow. It's there was an HBO doctor series on it, but they put together an actual Hulu put together an actual show. It's called a good it's called Good American Family, and I really am into it because I don't know how it all played out, Like I know of it, but I haven't ever followed it. But we're having to watch it week by week, and like, I don't know if I'm ever gonna watch a show like that again, Like I'm gonna let it build and then binge. And there's shows that like, now, you know, to get back to my point just a moment ago, I'm almost like I need three seasons before I'll really dive in because if I go season for season, like even that leaves me really kind of you know, it's not that I can figure it out and get caught back up. And if I really like a show, I'll watch however, I'll watch it if it's weekly, if it's you know, a season, dump one at a time, if I'm really into it. Yeah, But we just have the ability to watch so many things now at any time that if I got to wait a week, I usually just forget that that that show that has a new episode, now, you know what I mean. You like to have a library basis, Yeah, And there are so many shows that I love that I consider like all time favorites of mine that I don't know one that I would have actually watched it had I had to if I was doing the weekly thing. But also I'm not even sure if the show would have been as good if I couldn't binge it, you know what I'm saying. Like, sometimes we'll get into a show and we'll be watching, you know, a couple of episodes a night, three, four nights a week, but we're watching a show that has five seasons already built up, so like it's you know, we're really running through the whole thing, you know, but in a short window of time to where you were able to kind of kind of grasp it all. But anyways, sure, why oh yeah, we're talking about I'm talking about Seinfeld. If you got lost in Seinfeld, Like, you know, I can't imagine, knowing you and your sense of humor, that you wouldn't love it.
Speaker 4: Andy, Like I said, something happens, it's funny. I laugh at it. I think it's hilarious. I think Jerry Seinfeld gets a lot of flack for people that always say that that show was like trash comedy and that he's not funny, like someone that I was talking to the other day. So the hell said that I want to see him, I want to talk to him, said that he's he said that he was the fourth funniest person on that show.
Speaker 2: And I think, well, and I so here's the thing. Larry David and Jerry wrote it. Jerry is a key component, but he is the fourth funniest character. But what happened with like what I think is just this and now I'm really nerding out on it. But with Seinfeld, you could Jerry was a terrible actor on the show at times, almost intentionally, because he almost would just it's almost like it was stand up like he would be like looking around as their storylines are playing out with Elaine and Kramer and George and George's dad or Jerry's dad or all the other great characters that have brief appearances in the show, and like he was almost like bad acting on purpose because he's like, do you guys see what we just did there? How great is this? And in a way it is arrogance. And by the way, Jerry Seinfeld does seem to be super arrogant, but like Larry David and him on that show together like phenomenal, And I'll tell you what Curb Your Enthusiasm is Larry David's special. It's not I mean, it's not necessarily what he's known for. I think he's mostly known for Seinfeld and just being great. But Larry David on Curby your Enthusiasm, like that is that's a super popular show that a lot of Seinfeld fanatics, like myself, you would just think that you like it. And I tried it and I never really could get into it until of all people, Chris Mack, who he and I I think one of our first conversations where we got to know each other before became buds. He loves Seinfeld and he loves it in a way that I do. And he was like, you have to watch Curve and I was like, yeah, I couldn't get into it, and he like stopped me mid lunch like no, no, you have to watch it. And I'm like all right, And sure enough, I binged it, watched it all the way through and it's it's you know, it's not Seinfeld to me, but it is really good. And I remember texting him one time, I was like, thank you, you're right, like I've that's actually one of the last shows that I had been late on and I just dove into and absorbed it all and loved it. That along with the show that I'm so glad I ended up watching because it's it's probably the funniest show that I have that I've seen on TV in a long, long time. Righteous jim Stones. I mean what a cast. I mean, Danny McBride, You've got Adam Devine, John Goodman is I mean, every character is phenomenal. And obviously Judy Jimstone that's played by Edie Patterson. I mean that she's she's the funniest character in the show. Maybe actually, no bj her boyfriend Tim Baltz, he might be the funniest. Have you ever seen Righteous Jimstones? You have to watch Oh my god, I'm gonna I'm gonna pull the Chris Mack.
Speaker 3: You have to watch it.
Speaker 2: You just got serious. You have to watch it. It is hilarious. It is hilarious. And there's actually a new season, I think coming out and then it's on HBO and if you, if you, if you need my max log in, I got it because because I need you to watch it like it's it's hilarious. I think you, I think you and your fiance would like it together, like it's it's a good because I don't. There's not many comedies that really get me anymore. Like I watch Stand up and I love I love comed like the Comedian Podcast, Like that's where I kind of, you know, go to find stuff to laugh at. But like comedy, sitcoms and shows just usually don't do it for me. But Righteous Gymstones I gave it a shot and it was it was amazing. And then White Lotus I did the first season and I know it's really popular, but I never really it didn't hook me. Have you watched that at all? Have you heard of it? White Lotus?
Speaker 3: I have not.
Speaker 2: I've watched a couple episodes of the first season.
Speaker 4: I think Sidney Sweeney was on it, and that's the reason to watch it. Yes, that's a reason to get me hooked. And I think that's where she got her breakout maybe and that or the other show that she did.
Speaker 2: Or maybe you know, somebody just like looked at her she's a mystery and then realized that there's something there's something here, you know, there's something special here. Maybe that's what they that's what they realize. But everyone loves that show though, Like I know it loves it.
Speaker 4: Look, every every episode I've watched looks like, all right, this is kind of entertaining. But I know, like each season it is like a different season. There's no like continuity or anything like that. So that's pretty It's almost like the same thing each season, but with different cast of characters.
Speaker 2: And it's not even something that's like premeditated in my mind. But the more show becomes like what white lotuses everybody all in on it, Like, the more I'm like, yeah, I'm out, like I don't you know. And it's not like I'm like, oh you got I'm not some contrarian, right, Like I'm not like always wanting to avoid something that everybody else enjoys. But I don't know what it is, like, I guess I just feel so so late, you know what I mean. That's like, that's why I never really got into Game of Thrones. I'm like, yeah, I way behind, and the only commitment, the overall premise just doesn't really hook me. But I don't the two shows. I will say this, it's faded a little bit, and I think it might because apparently the ending was terrible and Thrones is that right?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: I I like the ending. It was controversial. All right, I'll fight. I'll fight anyone. That's okay, I like, but it was said by a lot, right, but I.
Speaker 4: Can yeah, I said that's the overright. I could see where people got mad. But if you if you know ball, the ending made sense.
Speaker 2: It's up there as one of the shows that I mean ninety nine point five percent anybody who has talked to me about it that's watched it talks about how phenomenal it was. And I've yet and I mean this, I have yet to to talk to a single person who has said that ted Lasso was not amazing, Like I don't know anybody that's said and it's not like I'm and it's not as if i've I've I've heard people say, yeah, it was good. The people who like talk to me about it like, no, it's amazing, like you have to watch it. So yeah, maybe eventually.
Speaker 4: Positive and very like upbeat about yourself.
Speaker 2: Okay, maybe that's what Vinetti was getting at, because I'll be honest with you, shows that are like positive and upbeat like that, I don't. I don't seek that out. And it's not because I'm a negative, awful person like things that make me internally, as you know, in my own world myself as an individual, like things that uplift me. And this is getting too personal, but it's like, you know things about special needs children and people helping them and and and you know that kind of stuff like that's that's like what gives me the good feel. But hey, who couldn't use more good feel? If ted Laso is going to give it to me as well, I mean I might as well enjoy it. And again, I'm not kidding you. And I'm sure maybe now we've got people on the text on that are going to say, now I watched it, Nick, it sucked, But you may be doing that just to mess with because I've yet to talk to anybody who said it was not phenomenal.
Speaker 4: I think Love on the Spectrum is an amazing show. That's one of my favorite shows.
Speaker 2: That it makes me too emotional, but it's and I mean that, but yes, it's I mean it's the fact that that show exists is awesome and I love it. The more the more inclusion that we have for folks that are that are of special needs is is better for everybody. And it's something that I'm super passionate about but there are things that you know, it just you know, I mean, it's it's it's my own world with with with me and my family. And if I just kind of you know, separate that and then see it, you know, it's good, it's it's healthy, but it also sometimes it just gets me too sappy. And I don't you know, I don't want to be I want to I don't want to that. Yeah, No, I have that enough in my life. I don't needed when I want to find something to watch.
Speaker 4: You know, those young men and women with autistic disabilities are so like, very well spoken, they're so kind hearted, and it's just a it's just a.
Speaker 2: The innocence of them. I mean, that's what that's right, right, that's what that's what makes it so special. And the fact that like.
Speaker 4: And they're bold too on that show man like when they get done with the date, like they'll just straight up say no, I don't want to go in another date with you.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. They communicate differently. Yeah, and you know, and trust me, I'm in no way saying this about you, but I I know there's so many people that and I'm not even say anybody that I know personally, but just knowing the numbers and knowing what that show is in the platform that it's on. Think about how many people have at least now been able to get a perspective of what of what it's like to have someone like that in your life that would not have ever known had it been for that show. Right, So like that's overall, that's just that's a positive thing that makes me happy. I mean, we have we've yet to talk about a single thing related to sports. I don't even know if I've told you where you are. Yeah, it's we're we're twenty four minutes in, we're rolling, We're having a good time. It's Coffee and Company. Welcome in. I feel like you've been you've been sitting at that what do you call that? That that area where people hover whether they're waiting to get seated by the host at the sports bar. Like you know, we're gonna get you seed, We're gonna get the party started. So let's let's take our first break again. It is Coffee and Company. We are fuel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety Nick Coffee. That's me Austin Montgomery alongside say can you up until six o'clock? So hang out right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: That's right, it's coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety and right now, if you're somebody like myself who just can't can't quite stop drinking the White Monster energy drinks, I mean, for me, it's the white ones, and I really have never found another flavor. They've got a ton of flavors. I've tried the white one. I've never found one that I like other than the than the white one. I mean, I've always been the green or blue guy. That basic. I think the green in the black that's that's like the that's like the og. Right, Yes, so yeah, there's a lot of different flavors. My wife she likes. There's an orange one that she likes, but I just stick with the with the white one and white. Is that the zero sugar one? Yeah, it's zero sugar. It's it's zero ultra is what it's called. I don't know. Do they all say that, I've literally never looked at the other ones. I'm looking right now because right now, check out this deal and if you know, you know, this is an insane deal. At Thornton's. You can get four for seven dollars. Oh my gosh, I'm being serious like that one of them almost cost seven dollars. Like, I'm not kidding you. That is a steal for where you will what you'll see as far as a price elsewhere. So one of the many, many reasons why you should keep Thorton's in mind. We are proudly feeling about Thorton's here at Sports Talk seven ninety and if you want to join us on the show, you can do it. Five x two five won seventy nine hundred is the number. If you want to give us a call, We've got phone lines open. Haven't really given you guys a whole lot to react to just yet, but we will, trust me, we will.
Speaker 4: What to Thornton's the other day and as soon as I got to the checkout, they let me know that I had a free Fountain drink in a Reces cup form.
Speaker 2: There you go, I mean, yeah, how awesome is Look it pays to be a Rewards member, it just does. So shout out to Thornton's and if you guys want to text in on the L and N Federal Credit Union text line. You can do that fibo two four three eight ninety seventy three, so real quick, just to start, I guess, I guess we'll pick up a little bit where we left off yesterday, because this news did come down in the five o'clock hour, and I wouldn't have seen it had it not been for Austin perusing Instagram to see that Javon Hadley had made the announcement that he is he's coming back to Louisville. I can't I can't stress how important this is to have a veteran, a guy who understands the culture. And look, even if he didn't come back, there'd still be some guys returning. But Javon was a captain from day one, and he is a respected I don't think it's something you should just, you know, ignore, and not that many people do, but go back if you know, you don't have to. But I'll just tell you the way that Pat Kelsey talks about how much he enjoys coaching, Javon Hadley stood out to me in a big way. I'm a nerd for that kind of stuff. Anyways, just because I miss I miss I missed playing sports. Basketball was the only sport I played. But like being coached, being held accountable, you know, being part of a culture. Like I know it's corny, but like that stuff. To me, that's that's awesome. And it was cool to follow a team that you know, I want to win, regardless of really how they do it, but like to see that play out night in and night out was awesome for those of me, you know, for those of you that are like me, you know, nerds for this stuff. But Javon is, I mean he is. He is the absolute extension of Pat Kelsey on the floor. And I don't necessarily just mean, you know, he really is in his high energy as Pat, because I'm not sure really anybody is, but he's he's a veteran, he's a leader, he understands what's expected. He's a good communicator with his teammates. So I'm not even sure what what his production is going to be next year, to be honest with you, I mean, I don't expect that it'll be subpar, but you know, last year he stepped into a bigger role because of the injury to case in prior, and he more than I think delivered again. I talked about it yesterday, his performances in January where he stepped up, and really that's when everybody got comfortable, right, because in December they were kind of putting it together, they were getting more comfortable. Yes, they lost at Rupperina. Yes, they ended up playing well against Duke for thirty minutes, and then it kind of, you know, fell apart. And then they had some games where they just you know, they were kind of getting by, right. They beat was it Florida State at their place? Good game, But you know, I don't think that team then looked like they did when you got to January. Hell, they had the close call where they nearly lost to Eku, so they were still kind of trying to find themselves. And then they were rolling in January, and Javon Hadley was as big of a factor in that month of success, that win streak they had as anybody I know. I said yesterday it was probably more so Chucky, And you know, there's no need to argue who was more because they were all a big factor. There were four guys that I feel like, really and it's not to act as if the other guys weren't instrumental as well. I mean James Scott as far as what he does, he did it pretty well. In fact, he did it really well, but it's just not a whole lot of range there as far as he what he does trei Ora. Once he got healthy and he returned, he was a good guy off the bench with energy and defense and really understood his role. So it was it was a collective effort all the way around. But I think Javon had lee because he was a matchup problem for other teams and because you know, you didn't have Prior anymore. And that's that's the stretch for position, that that those two guys were going to be splitting minutes. And you can obviously play those guys together, and they did play together at times before Prior got hurt. But Javon coming back is is huge. And last year I think he was about twelve point seven points per game, seven and a half boards roughly, And I don't I mean, maybe he has that same stat line, maybe he has more, but I'm just saying, even if he doesn't have the same production, his value will show way more than what you see in the stat sheet. And here is his his announcement yesterday and in his video or I was running back and then they just show a bunch of highlights, but really cool production there. Whoever helped him do that probably the cinematographer for the program, former player who played for Pat Kelsey at went through Bubblele who now does the video and the cinema stuff, and it was like a it looked like a real professional I mean, not that the press conferences don't typically look professional, but like it was a production and well done and certainly good news. So with that said, let's take a look at and again I don't want to these are I think it's worth mentioning, but I also am gonna probably throw the disclaimer on there more than I need to. When it comes to these rankings, I mean, what do you call them? I mean, do you call them entirely too early rankings? Because that's I think what a lot of folks are used to describe what these rankings are. But that's not even fair because you're ranking teams when you don't even know what teams are going to look like. I mean, I said this yesterday and it probably isn't true. It's probably a little bit of an exaggeration of my end but of all the top twenty five teams that you have in your entirely too early rankings, I mean, how many of them truly know what they have for next year right now? I would say none of them. And again, maybe there is like Houston's number one, and I'm just looking here at CBS. It's the first one I pulled up CBS Houston, Duke Perdue, Alabama, Yukon in the top five. I don't follow those programs closely, but I would imagine there's still a lot of unknown. I mean, in fact, we'll talk about this later. I've heard enough from folks who you know aren't hot take artists, right, I've heard enough from those that have explained it where it makes sense that Cooper Flag might come back to college like that might happen. I mean, I still have a hard time saying that that's what I think he'll do. But I'm now to the point where, like, you know what, when you're looking at who potentially he could go to, and the fact that he could, I mean, he will build his brand more as a duke superstar for a second year than he will in the NBA in his first year. He's will I mean, I know that sounds like the small market college basketball guy like me thinking that college basketball has a bigger reach than it actually does. And that's not really what I mean. It's just that this would be unprecedented. This would be something we've quite literally never seen before, and because of the new world of college hoops and the fact that these guys can make money, it's now a realistic thing now. Well it happened. Still have a hard time saying it will, but the fact that it's even something that can be discussed is crazy, but also again a sign that things have changed. So again, these rankings, you know that they're useless. But from the Louisville side of things, we have not had this in a long time. I mean, the last time there was an off season where there was like legit expectations where there was really no like in it was twenty nineteen twenty. It was the year that you know, we had a good team, really good team, and then we didn't get a tournament. We never got to see what would have happened. We never got to get any closure. And that's why for those guys, I hate it, because that's such a blur. That was a good season. I mean, they were good. They were number one in the country for a while. They had some big wins along the way. I mean they beat Duke at Duke, I mean when Duke was good. So you know that year you brought back literally everybody from the first year of Chris Mack that got a seven seed, wore a blew up as a sophomore, and then his decision to not go pro and come back, and then you brought in if you remember, the only guy you lost was was Christian Cunningham, and he was really valuable. In fact, they missed him more than I think we realized because they didn't really have That was one of the issues for that team is they didn't have a true point. They did, but I don't think Mack was comfortable enough letting DJ run the show until a little bit later on in the year. DJ was also hurt. And then Perry good player at times, but not a true point and then fresh Kimball was the guy they brought in and another guy that you know is a good combo guard can run the point, but like he's not, you know, he wasn't really a true point guard like you needed, like Cunningham was. So anyways, there was expectation. Then when Jordan Warred decided to come back. I mean, that was a big story in college basketball overall. Well, now here we are, I guess six years later, we've got another season where there's going to be real expectation for Louisville. And right now, I mean, I guess anything can change, right because you could have commits that are in the mix right now from the portal that have you know, they reconsider things. I mean, I don't expect that to happen Louisville because I think both the two of the three have already signed, which I don't know if that means they can't change their mind. But either way, there's gonna be expectation for Louisville right now, even if you don't get case In, pryor back, and even if you end up maybe not adding really good pieces with the remaining scholarships you have, and you know, with that comes expectation, and you know, I don't want to say pressure, but we meeting Louisville fans and of course Kentucky fans are the same way Indiana fans as well. Like the off season is a lot more fun when you are looking ahead and knowing, hey, we should be pretty damn good. And look, there are always there's always going to be a segment of the fan base, any fan base that, even if there's not expectation and the objective folks that cover the sport do not think your team's going to be very good, there's still gonna be again, that segment of fans that will say, oh, we will be good. You know, we'll be a tournament team. But these are objective people that have no like, they're not kissing Pat Kelsey's ass. They're not out here to like, I mean, what do they They don't gain anything by propping up Louisville. So to see that ESPN has them at number three, The Athletic has them at number four, Fox Sports has them at number three, Sports Illustrated has them at number five, twenty four to seven Sports has him at number eleven. USA today that I mentioned them, they have him at number ten, CBS has him number twelve, and then John Rostein I don't know where his his is, but we will talk about rostin later. But anyways, that's where Louisville is right now in these early rankings, and it's it's it's awesome to see it really is Now on the Kentucky side, if you go to the ESPN, they've got Kentucky at number six, and CBS has Kentucky at number fourteen. And let's see the Athletic. It may be behind a paywall, but not to brag, but that I got that subscription to the Athletic. Not to brag. I mean, it's like pulling out the black card, rightumb. I keep that Athletic subscription on me, you know what I'm saying. I keep it on me. You know, you never know when you're gonna need it. Here the Athletics great, Yeah, so I do have it, but I can't only have on my phone. So anyways, I'm sure they've got Kentucky relatively the same as as a lot of others do. And then USA today again I mentioned they had Lovel at number ten. They have Mark Pope and the Wildcats at number Where are they here? I got to keep scrolling. They at number sixteen, and let's see Fox Sports. That's that's our boy, Johnny Fanta. He had He's the first person I saw that had Lovel number three. And then I later I later realized that, yeah, our milk man. I love Fanta. He wasn't the only one that was high on the cards. But he has Kentucky sitting at let's see number sixteen again, Fanta, that's his rankings are for foxsports dot Com. And then where's the other Sports Illustrated. I don't remember where they had the Cats, but we can take a look. And yes, I am doing this to just let you know that as of now, everybody expects Louisville to be better than Kentucky, which you know, expectation and actually doing it totally different worlds. But been a while since we've been here, right, but Sports Illustrated has them at number sixteen, and let's see where else twenty four to seven sports I mentioned them, didn't Yeah, they had Louisville sitting at number eleven, and they've got Kentucky at number sixteen and then the last one I wanted a reference here that we looked at, or maybe that's all of them. Either way, So expectations for both teams next year at least right now, and regardless of what happens from here on out, other than you know, guys that you expect. For example, if one of Louisville's top transfers decides he's out which I don't see that happening. That would obviously change. But like for Kentucky, if they lose, like ohay, like he decides to portal or go pro, that would change things. So again, even if you don't make big moves, I guess you could still from here on out drop because other teams like for example, let's say when you go to when you go to Fox Sports, right, like Louisville is sitting at number at number three in Fanta with Fanta, well right now, Duke's at number four. Well, if Cooper Flag does decide to come back, clearly they would jump ahead of Louisville and Louisville no longer be number three. So you could change to an extent. But there's gonna be some expectation for both programs around here next year, and that's what you want. I mean, I hope that Kentucky falls massively short of those expectations because you know they're the rival. But it's been a while since both teams one felt good about where they are and there was a legitimate, you know, buzz about both being in the top tier of the sport. In the upcoming season, we'll get more into the Cooper Flag stuff, because again, if in fact these guys can still get uncapable nil, which I know, the house settlement is still in the works. It's been a mess. It seems like this week. I've tried my best to keep up with it, but I'm also willing to acknowledge. I mean, I'm reading the legal jargon from folks and I don't know what some of that means. I mean, I've tried my best to get Okay, give me the update on what this NCAA house settlement case. Give me the give me the best updates you can provide for dummies like me, and I've yet to find it. So anyways, let's take a quick break. We'll come back on the other side a lot more to get into the rest of the way. Stick with us again, it is coffee and Company, and we are fueled by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: I could get used to the uh, I could get used to the three minute breaks there instead of you know, sometimes six seven, you know maybe, I mean they've had breaks that we've had to we worked around it because we just do three minutes as a record? Yeah, is it? I mean probably? So we've had eight minutes and you know, we don't like it, but it happens. And I guess that's good for business. Right. If there's you know, a ton of spots, a ton of ton of commercials, then you know everybody wants everybody wants it On Coffee and Company, I guess I think it's a voice on this show and we get we get a nice chunk of all that, right, I mean that's oh yeah, totally. We get paid every time we leave. Are you getting paid to be here? I get don't answer that, don't answer that. I get jealous.
Speaker 4: They give me tickets to concerts and say here you can go here.
Speaker 2: Hey, it's a nice perk. Yeah, not bad. You know, I would never say it, but I might do this for free, that's how much I love it. And get to go to the festivals. Louder than life, that's what to work for. That's really the whole reason you do it, right, just for louder than life. Yep, good stuff all right again, Coffee and Company. Feel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety So for those who have kept up, who are not keeping up with it at all. I'll try my best to explain. But the House, the NCAA settlement, it's the two point eight billion dollar agreement that is, I guess not totally agreed upon yet, but it's it addresses compensation for college athletes. And what they're doing now is just trying to get the final approval. And there was a hearing that was set on Monday where there was a US District Judge, Claudia Wilkin, and she reviewed the proposal and or the proposed settlement, i should say, and she considered different objections from notable people, including former LSU gymnast Livy Dunn. And this woman she holds, this district judge, she holds a lot of the future of college athletics seemingly in her hands. And you know, when you hear about the athletes now getting a cut of the revenue in college sports, that's what this whole thing is. So the propost settlement includes provisions where schools can distribute up to twenty point five million annually to athletes starting July of this year, and it also sets aside two point five billion dollars in back damage just athletes who competed between twenty sixteen and twenty twenty four without full Anisle benefits. So there's over one hundred and fifteen thousand athletes that have already gone through like opting in and trying to get their cut because they weren't able to make any money or take any money whenever they played college sports. Now, I still don't understand why you have that window between twenty sixteen and twenty fourteen. I don't get that at all. In fact, you had lawsuits that have been filed against then. It was the Memphis team from back in the late two thousands. Hell, there was a North Carolina NC state team that fouled a lawsuit from the seventies when they won a title. And Jenkins the I can't think of his first name, the Villanova guy who hit the game winner. Yeah, Chris Jenkins. Yeah, legendary all time. I mean, that's probably the best shot you'll see in a championship game. Ever, he is still fighting and not opting in. He's doing his own thing because and I guess what you have there is that there's they're suing because hey, we're not just like, not only are we not? Not only are we not? You know, in that window from twenty sixteen to twenty twenty four, but you're still using my image and likeness every time you promote the nce DOAA tournament and I've gotten nada from that, and I'm not just going to go accept, you know, the same measley amount of money that all other one hundred and eighteen thousand people are going to get. And I shouldn't say me easily. I don't know what it is, but like if you are, you know, let's go back to that NC State championship game right like that was when they beat five Islama Jama, that Houston team and the late Valvano is just running around on the court like a madman after he won a championship because he's so excited, like that footage. How many times you think that's been played? And those NC State guys are in that, they're a part of it, and they're I mean NC double A. What they did for so long was so illegal that any lawsuit that comes their way and gets in front of a judge, I think they're gonna lose. And look you can, because I know that it's a it's somewhat of a triggered talking point for some people. Because these athletes are not. And this is what I've even going back before we got close to where we are now with college sports and NIL and ne Portland all that, I have always said, Look, these these student athletes are not going without. I mean, they're getting a free education, which is insanely valuable, and they usually live a great lifestyle with great health care and treatment, and they get meal and they also get a stipend, which is like, you know, they're not just there getting taken care of. They have money to you know, to to live off of. Like they're not they're not going without. I've always tried to to, you know, to note that, because I don't think they're all like poor victims. However, when you see that the NC Double A is making billions of dollars with the NC Double A tournament specifically, there's just no way you can you can add it up that they not get any cut of that they are, in fact the performers. You can claim, well, they're student athletes, they're not employees. Okay, Well, even with that said, like the n sable A makes a lot of money, it's it's not a non it's not a non profit thing. And you got Mark Emerton as long as he was there getting those million dollar bonuses annually. Like I've just never it's just never been in any way a something that really makes sense that there's so much money. Look, if the NCAA tournament didn't make money and it was just out there for people, like it was all just you know, nobody's taking a cut, and it's just you know, it's not a business, and it's just the pure, you know, wholesome college athletics and they just put it on television for us to watch. That be different. But no, like, there's billions of dollars being generated off the entertainment that these human beings are providing. That alone is just Again that's why it's been ruled upon that you have to let them make money and you can't restrict them from go they're not employees. They're not, And the NAA doesn't want them to become employees because then that potentially could ruin college athletics because of the taxes with scholarships and all that kind of stuff. I won't pretend to know a ton about all that, But the NCAA ceases to exist if these these athletes become employee status. So if you're going to maintain that they're they're not employees. They're just student athletes, just like you know your star quarterback. He's no different than the guy on the pep band. Like, if you want to live in that world, then you can't tell them what they can and can't do because pet band guy can go from one school to the other. Who's out there fighting, No, he has to sit out. So it's all ridiculous when you really think about it. But in the grand scheme of things, the ntable was told recently in the last couple of years, when this whole thing started brewing, that what you've done forever is illegal. That is why there's a two point five billion dollar settlement. And you can disagree, it didn't matter. The judge said that. So that's why we're here. That's why it's That is why you've got like the Juco rule, like the nc DOUBLEA. If they want to keep these guys as amateurs and have it college sports, which is really what their existence is dependent upon, then you can't tell a Juco kid that did not play but two years of NCAA experience that he's out of eligibility. I know, it sounds crazy and it's a mess that guys could go and play six years of college sports because of that. But like they want to to stay alive, they have to keep it to where again student athlete, amateur that stuff. But because of that, that's what's led to this ultimate just free for all. Nobody knows what the hell's going on. So my guess is that the hold up now is that they want to have some kind of like cap to where you can't like you can't do nil. But again that's the issue, is that if if Libby done, and by the way, she was somebody there objecting for this because look, she testified that the settlement undervalues her earning potential as the highest paid athlete female athlete under the NCAA's name, image and likeness rules. She argued that the agreement fails to I guess, like account for her established social media following and her brand value and it you know, so long story short, if they end up, and I don't think they're going to be, they're not going to be able to tell you that you can't take money from collectives or you know, nil payments from just companies that want to that want to give you money because you can't legally tell them that they're not allowed to play if they take that money, because again they're not employees. So what I've always said is that the money that's going to be shared annually, the twenty point five million, that's essentially going to be a stipend. Now, I mean, I don't know if every football player is going to get the same cut, but obviously there's going to be a big chunk of it going to football, another chunk going to basketball, and then probably women's basketball, and then it's just, you know, dependent upon what schools want to do as far as how they want to share that money. So what's what it's going to come down to is NIL is still going to be super important because it's going to be the cherry on top. Right. If I'm going to do Kentucky, Carolina, Louisville, Indiana for basketball, I know from the revenue sharing, I'm getting the same money. Now, again, that would even the playing field, and that would make it to where you really don't have the advantage of offering more money. But they're not going to be able to legally tell you that youll you still can't take money from from you know, from collectives in NIL because What right do they have to tell you that you can't do that. None, That's what it all comes down to. So Nil is still going to be super important, and because of that Cooper flag, like, he will absolutely be able to still be the I mean, he could get hurt, and that, I guess is the chance why he wouldn't risk coming back. But he can get hurt in a workout, right, Like, I still have our time thinking he'll come back just because he would be unprecedented. But we are in a unprecedented time with college athletics like we've never been before. Alright, quick break, We've got two more hours left, so stick around right here on Sports Talk seven ninety