Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Mythic Mind.
Speaker 2: We pursue wisdom in the past between primary and.
Speaker 1: Second day World. Andrew Snyder, and I'm glad that you're here.
Speaker 2: I've originally been thinking about video games as a medium. As I discussed a little bit later in the show, I don't play a lot of video games anymore at this point in my life. It really dropped off when I got married and then especially when I had kids. However, I did play a lot as a kid and as a teenager of young adult. But as I look back at that time, then, on one hand, yeah, I think I probably played a little too much video games. I wish I read more books when I was younger. But at the same time, looking back through the lens of where I've come in my literary renaissance over the last few years, and I've been spending some time thinking about what stories are just to different avenues of pursuing wisdom, I think that there is actually a lot of potential here in using games in the.
Speaker 1: Right way to gain a level of.
Speaker 2: Enchantment, to sort of expand and to enricher imagination, to improve even like technical skills and focus and that sort of thing.
Speaker 3: But these ideas are.
Speaker 2: Still very early on in my mind in trying to figure out like exactly what is this medium, what is its place as an art form, how can it relate to literature or other avenues of the creative endeavors? And of course for later this year, I'm working on putting together a course on the Elder Scrolls and philosophy, really focusing in on specifically Morow and Oblivion and Skyrim, titles that are near and dear to me and obviously to many others as well. And as I start to put these ideas together, I wanted to talk with some people who have spent probably a little bit more time than I have at this point thinking about just video games like as a medium and what they are and what potential benefits they can have as well as of course you know where they can help us and going wrong. And so with that in mind, today I'm talking with Master Sam Wise, who was on the show a little while ago when we talked about the War of the Row. Herem and are joined by Josh Traylor, who is a Mythic Mind patron and you'll know him from most of the chats on the Poetic get Up. But before we jump into that conversation. I do want to thank all my patrons for making this and all the various things that I do possible. In the last episode, I detailed some of where I want to see this going, and every patron helps in bringing us in that direction. By name, I would like to specifically thank all Tier three patrons and higher, and so that's Mark, Chaz Clinton, Aaron Evy, Justin who just upgraded, Kyle, Mariah, Paul Tyler William, and Chase who just joined on as a patron. Although he has been in I think all my courses up to this point, and you know him already from the EDA chats. Big things are happening in my mind and I would love for you to be a part of that, from the courses that are already on the schedule to new course ideas that are percolating, both from me as well as from some other potential creators. We've got some new podcast series on the horizons, We've got some new patron chat series coming up. There's just a lot of room for participation all around. And we just recently announced our next several months of patron chats, and so for March and April, we assuming no scheduling upsets, we should be finishing up the poetic Adam, and then for May and June we're actually going to be getting into the Nights of the Old Republic one and two, which are most certainly the best Star Wars games ever made, some of the best Star Wars media easily brought up to potentially even arrival the original trilogy. But as I say later in the conversation, I'm wtllle hesitant to make that claim, but we definitely, I think, better than just about anything else that's come out since then, and so we'll be talking about that, and then after that, I'm pretty sure we're going to be getting into Tolkien's Children of Huron, which provides some good connections to some of the things we've been discussing with the etic text. And if you'd like to take a part in the things that are happening, then you can go to patreon dot com slash Mythic Mind, sign on at any level to get engaged, become part of the patron chats, and just be aware of some of the things that are happening. You can participate in our brainstorming channel about new ideas, and so that's open to anybody, any patrons, but again as a reminder, if you sign on as a Tier three annual patron, you will also get access to all of my courses, the ones that have already been completed, as well as those that are coming up ahead. And so again that's patreon dot com slash Mythic Mind, and I hope to see you there. But for now, let's go ahead and jump into our main conversation for today. All right, welcome back to Mythic Mind, where today we're gonna do something we haven't done so far on the show, and that's gonna talk about video games. I'm sure we'll get into some specific titles, but you know, really just I want us to have a broad level conversation of like what even our video games? You know, is it just a waste of time? Or is there some value to be had there? And given that we're having this conversation, I guess it's kind of obvious where we're going to come down on that, but you know, it might be helpful to start off just by talking a little bit about like like some of some of our background or experience with games as a medium and as a kid, as a teenager, I played a good bit, probably more than I should have. Kind of wish I read a few more books, but nonetheless, in many ways kind of having not having much of a literary focus as a kid, aside from what I picked up in school here and there, I do kind of feel like looking back, games did kind of fulfill some of that innate human desire for stories for you know, entering into other worlds that that's sort of been chanting, and so I think there's something there that can see looking back. You know, once I went out on my own, once I got married, a lot of that sort of dropped off quite a bit. Once I had kids, dropped off a lot more to the point where now, I mean, every once in a while I'll pick up something, but it's it's usually the same something I've been playing for ten or more years, because you know, even though I picked up a couple of things during a Steam sales not too long ago, the reality is, if I have a few minutes to pick up a game these days, I tend to go for familiarity. But I do think that there's something to this question, like.
Speaker 3: What are games? What are their value?
Speaker 2: Does it make sense to bring them to conversation as a medium with something like literature. It's what's inspired the fact that you know, later on this year, I'm doing that Elder Scrolls and philosophy. Course, I'm inclined to have this conversation and I'm interested to hear what you all.
Speaker 3: Have to say.
Speaker 2: Sam, I wanted you to tell us a little bit about yourself, about specifically your relationship with games.
Speaker 4: Sure, so, yeah, I have, honestly I have. For you know, I'm in my early thirties. I have a relatively short relationship with video games as a medium. Not that I haven't played video games for long. I have played video since I was probably six seven years old, maybe a little bit older, but it started out and for probably the vast majority of my childhood from about you know, seven or eight up till sixteen, I probably played backyard baseball or backyard soccer. I'm familiar with those old, old titles that most likely came in the bottom of cereal box. Or I played something like Roller Coaster Tycoon, where you're just building and maintaining a theme park, you know. Lego Star Wars also came in a little bit later. So yeah, once the family computer was up to the task, so it didn't I didn't really start playing games more extensively till I was later in high school, and then I got I was into things like Call of Duty and Star Wars Battlefront and a lot of first person shooters, ones that may may may be are not completely devoted value, but certainly just have kind of a more entertainment casual nature. Again, you can find value in most anything that isn't just a complete trash, but in those games are are were anyway generally made with with love and care, and they the stories they told were were somewhat solid, but nearly most of the time was just spent in multiplayer shooting other people who are also shooting back at me. So it wasn't, honestly until probably after college the last gosh, how long will be graduated less than a decade that I really started diving into more of the deeper world of video games.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: So I've played you know, Elder Ring after that came out, which is a huge, vast and dark fantasy world, and you know the makers all the Dark Souls games, and the last few years I've played the God of War all the God of War games, and I think the second one which were are generally absolutely phenomenal games, and they tell a fantastic story. I finally played Red Dead Redemption two this last year, which is hard to beat when it comes to just the depth of the story and the character development. And I think, what what games have an advantage over something like, you know, even literature, but certainly over television and movies is the depth to which they can go because it just because they are able to take all this time. Because television, even television movies especially, but even TV shows are limited, right, and there is kind of a set limit on how long they can be. Even in the age of streaming, where you can really only be so long, you can only do so much. Games don't really have that problem. If you look on my channel, you know, the longest my longest videos are all about video game characters because they you spend so much more time with them. If you spend twenty hours or fifty or sixty hours playing through a game, you spend so much time with this character, you're able to absorb these little details and then you get a lot more out of it. So yeah, I think basically that's kind of my journey with games is it's just in the last less than ten years or so where I really come to absorb the value that they can have in their ability to tell stories. But then there's more to it than that, And there's a video I'm planning to do and probably in the distant future at this point. And how video games cultivate virtue and storytelling is certainly one way, and the ways in which they can tell stories that are distinct from books and movies are good and definitely to be measured. But there are other ways and that they can teach perseverance. They can teach, you know, explore and they need to the desire to explore and wonder. They can even teach the logistical thinking and planning and you know, thinking ahead. And if you take up games like factory games where you're planning and building you know, a factory, you're collecting resource. Theyre all sorts of ways which games can build us. It's they're fascinating, basically.
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you said a lot that I have got a lot of follow up questions, but first let's let's stop over to Josh. Tell us a little bit about your experience with video games.
Speaker 5: Oh man, Yeah, I think I'm a little bit more in European Andrew, where you said that you feel like you played a lot of video games and maybe even a little bit too much at times and wish you would have read more. That's like in the exact summary of like the first like twenty something odd years of my life. So yeah, for me, I actually like pretty much have played since basically as long as I can remember before because my dad was like in his twenties when like the og like Nintendo and all that came out in the eighties, and so when I was born in the mid nineties, like he already had like Sega Genesis and was a Super Nintendo eventually Nintendo sixty four PS one Dreamcast. So I really like cut my teeth on all of that stuff like that nineties gaming, even though I was extremely little in the second half of the nineties when I was a toddler, but really from there kind of like got more. I definitely like stuck with like the Nintendo a lot and wasn't really allowed to play like a lot of like the emerated games at the time. So I would probably good good decisions on my parents probably for that one. So played like a lot, played like a lot of game game played like a lot of them. Sixty four eventually I got like more into like the Microsoft like Xbox three sixty stuff when I was in middle school in high school, eventually kind of like got into uh I was super into Halo at one point, Like those games were great, and I thought that they had exceptional writing as well. I mean, I really, I mean I've played a lot of different stuff, probably all the way up until my early twenties and then just it's not like I never like lost interest or like saw there as like I never really really with a phase where even where I thought like video games were like stupid or pointless or a waste of time, I would say, and I would certainly still argue against all of those claims to this day. I think I just like I started to find interest in other things more probably that and spend time on growing up like you know, music and eventually like reading as well, So probably like distanced myself a little bit more so when I my knowledge of gaming rely spans from stuff from like the late nineties, probably too roughly like the mid twenty teens. So I'm pretty I'm I'm a good like decade out of the loop, I would say, with a lot of things. The only one of the only early RPG games I played in the past ten years is Cyberpunk twenty seventy seven, which I definitely have things to say if it comes up. But yeah, pretty much like a long story short that's like kind of like the broad kind of like the broad sweeping overview of really my experiences.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, like you said, we have some similar stories there. I feel like the newest game that I still play on a somewhat regular basis is probably like Fallout four something like it goes goes back a little bit at this point. You know, one thing that I've been thinking about because you know, I've over the last few years, I've really been going through a renaissance as I've really discovered literature for the first time. It took me to almost finishing my PhD before I recognized the value of reading fiction. And at that point it just I just started reading everything I keep my hands on, and it really reshaped the way that I view just about everything really, especially you know, it really started with with Tolkien and the you know, getting into his unfairy stories and sort of his philosophy of myths and that sort of thing, and you know that that's allowed me to look back on some of the games that really stood out to me, especially in my youth, and recognized that maybe they're not just a waste of time. I definitely went through that phase where I felt like, you know, its just escape, But as Tolkien says, escape is part of the process of recovery, and so I do believe there's some value there. But at the same time I'm working through this in real time. I I wonder how much the games are just fun or there's an amusement factor, and then I want to justify value into it, into the story. I don't know, is that a do you think that's a temptation when we talk about like, you know, Sam, you're talking about how we can discover virtue and video games and you know different positive lessons, like do you have any comment on that, like how much is that real? And how much are we trying to justify something?
Speaker 4: Well, I would say that if you are finding value in something, then the value exists, right, And I've done this with an any number of things. I can you know you can read value into most anything, right, I would say, it's how does it actually change you?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: If you know if I am playing you know, Dark Souls and I'm like, oh, this is this is teaching me persistence. But you know then I don't actually persist in my my life when it matters. It's not really teaching me persistence. It's not really changing, it's not really enriching that virtue in me. It's just me. That is just me justifying it absolutely. But I have seen multiple testimonies on that game, specifically about people saying like this saved my life. Right where people if you go on if you go on YouTube and search you know, dark Souls, search Dark Souls saved my life, you will find I'm sure no shortage of of videos of people saying that they were in a dark place. They felt hopeless and helpless, right they they had felt like they had no no, no power, right they couldn't do anything. And then they picked up Dark Souls and the game if you haven't played it, and it beats you over the head, quite literally. It beats you down repeatedly, over and over and over again. The game is designed unless you, you know, really go out of your way to make it easy for yourself, which you can do, but it is designed to kill you repeatedly. The one of the versions that came out on PC anyway, I'm not sure if this original version is called Dark Souls Prepared to Die and the game tells you right away like you're going to die, and you're going to die a lot, and all you can do is get better. I mean that's it. You can yeah, sure you can do various things to do that, right, but the main thing is simply getting better at the game, learning the boss's attack patterns, learning when to attack, when not to attack, learning when it's time to change your your own weapon or your build your strategy. And it teaches people to have an internal attribution where they say, Okay, this failure is clearly just my fault, right, and the only thing I can do about it is change because the game's not going to change.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: When we think about this in the in the wider world, I think people people want society to change. They want other people to change for them, right. This is a huge problem in culture today where everyone has an external attribution, Right, the things that have happened to me aren't my fault. You might be right about that, but what are you going to do about it?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: So we need to have more of like an internal aggy. That's what Dark Souls teaches through repeatedly crushing your skull in It teaches you to look inward and say, okay, where am I failing? What do I need to do to get out of this? To get past this boss. It's again, it's a very small thing. Where it is that you could just it can be contained within the world of the game. Right, if you learn that lesson in Dark Souls and you don't apply it to your life, I mean, yeah, that's that's what most people might very well do. But for these people right who actually let it change them, I mean, then it changed them, it did something meaningful. So yeah, again it is it is with most mediums. Video games are simply about how you approach them right. Intentionality is huge. I can watch the most prof I could read the most profoundly philosophical book on the planet. But if I do it just because I want to say that I've read the most profoundly philosophical book on the planet, who cares? What good is that? What it has that changed me?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So I think that's you know, that's the big piece when it comes to games. And I know you've pointed this out. Andrew, in a situit of yours said thank you. How we approach them, our intentionality, that's what matters. So if you find good in something, sorry I've ranally anchelong, I'll stop myself here. If you find good in something, you actually let that good affect you, then it's real.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that's very well said. I mean, it is just like anything that if you are pursuing it for the sake of discovering wisdom, then you're likely to find it. Whereas if you are pursuing it just for the sake of justifying the wrong kind of escape that obviously at that point it's a vice. But then it's not necessarily the fault of the medium. It's the fault of the player, the one participating in it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that's that's very very well said.
Speaker 3: Josh.
Speaker 2: You do you have any thoughts on that, on you know, discovering wisdom, on you know, how video games can potentially serve you know, a posit, the role, what kind of wherever you want.
Speaker 3: To go with that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and absolutely, I mean I certainly agree with everything you just said, and I appreciate the uh the nods and mentions to dark Souls because that was certainly, you know, one of the series that's certainly like one of the only series that really played a lot in like my adult life, and that's like one of my I always go back to this kind of game, certainly not always for relaxation, because it's hard to relax and play Dark Souls even if your experience sometimes it's still challenging and frustrating even when you when you fail. But another thing I want to like say with Dark Souls specifically is there was what actually drew me into that game. It was, Yes, it was the challenge, it was the difficulty. But the best word I could use kind of describe the world and the lore and the aesthetics of Dark Souls is enchanting, to be honest. And it's the same thing that I think any one of us could find enchanting about the best of like the fantasy genre. Right, whether you're talking about the great works of the Middle Ages or you're talking about Tolkien or maybe even some of the the contemporary later modern works that uh that came after Tolkien, Right, there's something enchanting about these worlds that are that we don't see around us necessarily, but there is there is there is an enchanging reality within the world, and it awakens and illuminates our imaginations in this this special way that we can't maybe you can't even always fully explain in a sense, and that was that was really stood out for me. And one thing I'd describe myself as is so like I always I've thought about this a lot, and sometimes I knew a lot of guys that were like into like army men growing up, right, Like they like were like we're obsessed with like World War two and stuff like that, and there's like nothing wrong with that. I think that's great, and there's a lot of wonder to that as well. But I always describe myself as a kid who was more into like knights and swords than like army men and like rifles. Not I'm not gonna say one is better than the other, but that was just like my draw So I think something like Dark Souls was enchanting, but it was almost like enchanting in an adult way, whereas when I was in a kid, the world and war and mythos of the Legend of Zelda was super enchanting to me as a kid. I still think it's interesting and enchanting as as a thirty year old. By the way, so I'm not gonna say it's it's child it's CS Lewis right. It's like you you love childish things, then you don't love childish things, and you grow up and you will love childish things again, right, Like it's like that's like kind of like how I would think of like Legend of Zelda. But Dark Souls is not for kids. It is for adults. But it's it's enchanting. It's a totally different way. And I mean you just want to talk about like how like I've never seen outside of like a fantasy book series or like some of the old Icelandic or you know ar Thury in English tales. It's like outside of some of that, I haven't really seen anything else with such a rich war and uh just like story behind it, but the story is not on the nose, you know, it's not explicit like you get to learn it, don't get to kill things and read artifacts and put the pieces together, and honestly, then watch hours and hours and hours of basically Dark Soul scholars on YouTube to really actually understand what's going on. And there's a lot of meaning there, like long story short, like it's it's it's profound right, And I think sometimes people can even play dark like the Dark Soul series just for the challenge, and that's great, and maybe they subconsciously reap some of the imaginative and philosophical aspects of that in a way. But I think, like even just to play it for the challenge of supreme refined melee combat is still like missing out on all like the richness of meaning written into those games and designed into those games.
Speaker 2: So you've both talked about Dark Souls a good bit, which I've actually never played Dark Souls. I'm not super familiar other than just seeing, you know, glimpses here and there. So I mean it might provide a good case study here, like what in particular is so enchanting about it?
Speaker 3: And neither of you can take that up.
Speaker 4: So I'm not I haven't really gotten deep into the lore yet of Dark Souls. I'm still on my first play through of the original game. I've played a couple of other from software same to all other titles, one being Eldering. There's just the most recent release, well the most recent Souls like release anyway, I almost come back and came out twenty twenty two. It has a similar sort of Gene where it's this dark fantasy setting, the world's kind of trapped in this cyclical cycle where no one really dies, and it was like the Tarnished and eld Ring of the Undead, And in Dark Souls, we're kind of just kind of this cyclical cycle to life which you're a little bit seeking to break. So there's you know, so that you could go into. You could probably teach a whole course just on that concept right where it's just like you've basically created immortality and you're realizing how awful it truly is. But even without having you know, it's like, as we're having this conversation, like, oh, that's right, I keep meaning to go on YouTube and like Josh said, find the you know, watch a Foddy video or whoever else is doing the videos on all the Dark Soul, the Dark Soul's lower Deep dives. But one of the things that really stands out to me that is most enchanting in Dark Souls, you spend a good amount of time underground or at least in very dark places, and there are moments where you see sunlight, Like there's there's a whole long section of the game where you're going through is essentially the sewers, and it's fairly early on and then you you finally end up in the Boss room and there's this big crack in the ceiling essentially where sunlight shining through. And it makes me think of the scene of the Two Towers and in Aderas where they see the described in the book, as you know, the single high window through, you know, sunlight shining through. And then that same theme comes back with a single star that Sam seeds as he's on the I think it's the planes of Gorgoroth, And you know, it's just kind of this message like not all is dark. Right, You've been going through this incredibly dark, depressing area, and even as you're about to take on this giant you know, dragon like boss, right, you still see this this beam of light coming in that kind of tells you there there is hope here, there is an end.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: You're you know, you're about to take on a very difficult fight, but you know you have something to look towards. And that's you know, just I love being able to kind of imburse myself in that world and even not knowing much yet, you know, not having read every item description, and you know, I ever looked up every enemy on the wiki. Just seeing this and seeing what it's I think it's trying to tell me. Yeah, it's super super cool.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I definitely appreciate those themes, the immortality as well as the light. It definitely makes you think of Tolkien a lot of the stuff that he deals with, which I mean naturally anything fantasy I'm gonna read talking into it. Oh, that's gonna makes sense, not not without merit on that.
Speaker 3: Okay. Cool. So yeah, my.
Speaker 2: Expansive fantasy that that I've lived in for years now, regarding video games at least, really goes to Elder Scrolls, which I know, Sam, you just recently started Skyrim for the first time, right, which I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't know how to dange that.
Speaker 4: I mean, I've heard of Skyri. I think I heard about Skyrim the year it came out, because I would have been right along when I started college, and thank goodness, I didn't play it playing it then because I don't think I would have graduated, and i've I've not, I've barely dipped my toes in because I I was staying up with with our newborn, and I find I bought it recently when it was finally bought it when it's like four dollars on Steam, and I was like, okay, I hooked my my laptop that I have for gaming on up to our TV. I'm sitting there with my my sleeping newborn on a lap at two in the morning or whatever, and like, all right, I'll start playing Skyrim. And so I mean, I, like I said, I barely dipped my toes in. There's not even much I can formulate about, you know, my thoughts about the world yet, unfortunately, because it's like okay, you know, I'm just starting to you understand kind of the the world building that that's going on here. So I wish, I wish I could tell talk more about it, but unfortunately, just not much.
Speaker 3: Yes, fair enough. I had to ask.
Speaker 2: It's it's unusual you find somebody today who's playing Skyrim for the first time. Uh, it's such a you know, it's such a major title.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I started with the Elder Scrolls all the way back with morrowind which was I mean a little bit of answer from you, you know, when it first came out that given you know, my age at the time, but I had older brothers since I was always playing a little bit ahead of most people my age of the time, but I mean speaking of just vast enchanting worlds, I mean, it still boggles my mind that, you know, within each of these major Elder Scrolls titles, I mean, they have literally entire books, like libraries of books written within the games. And so the fact that you know they are willing to, you know, invest the time in writers to literally write books in the game, most of which are going to go unread by you know, those are those who are buying the titles. It just I think shows a level of detail which you know, unfortunately, moving forward, I imagine all such things will just be AI generated. But at least once upon a time, you know, that really took the time to you know, invest in such little storytelling d details that you know, it's easy for me to look at a title like that as well as whatever comparable fantasy series are out there, Dark Souls, whatever, and it's easy for me to look at that and recognize the potential for enchantment, the potential for kind of expanding your engagement with kind of with ideas, with philosophy, with with kind of what could be. I do think that there's a lot of inherent value in that well, I guess, I mean from here it it'd be interesting to hear about, you know, some other titles that have sort of captured your imagination, that have captured your time, and uh, just to dig into a little bit about what it is about these particular titles that stand out to you. So I mean, Josh, what's something else that has been uh, you know, near and dear to you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'll run with this one first, just because I mentioned it earlier, and I think it really is like the only besides Okay, if it's a lie, I did play elden Ring. I was gonna say this is the only game I've played that's come out since twenty twenty, but not elden Ring, but Cyberpunk twenty seventy seven. I wanted to talk about that, and I don't know if i'd I definitely wouldn't exactly use the word enchanting to describe it. But I also think that's kind of the point. And what I like about cyberhok twenty seventy seven. I mean, first of all, like the writing is an incredible, great character arcs, great dialogue back and forth between like your the protagonists in which you play, and the various recurring like side quest characters that he encounters in Knight City, in the outskirts of Night City, which is the setting of the game. But I think what's really, uh, what's really profound about that game is that it almost, to me, it almost captures, it almost captures like a fairly realistic version of like what the future could be in a sense, because grow I liked I liked Star Trek growing up, and I guess like to some extent, I still do like the next generation and even like Deep Space nine to some extent. But one thing I kind of like abandoned when I got older is I found out like Gene rodden Berry's kind of like conception of the future just super like utopian, and it's like everything's going to be super diplomatic with all these aliens, and like everything looks crisp all the time, like their uniforms are always perfectly uh, you know, perfectly like steamed and pressed and all that. But the ship is like the ship is beautiful and there's nothing. It's a very like glorified depiction of like the progression of science beyond the time that will probably all, you know, beyond the time that we'll probably all live up to right like like hundreds of years in the future, whereas with cyberpunk, the future looks it looks kind of it looks kind of gross, right Like, I don't know if it either of you ever been to like Times Square in New York City And I always heard about it and thought it would sounded cool as a kid, and I went for the first time a couple of years ago, and I thought it was kind of gross. It's like there's just a bunch of weird characters walking around in the middle of the day and there's just big giant screens with not beautiful images on them in any sense, And that's that's kind of like what side like the vibe of cyberpunk twenty seventy seven is. And people are people are kind of gross in it in a sense too. But I think what it really captures more than anything is kind of like the ramifications of one like taking like technology and science too far as humans. Probably the over alliance on science and technology and the way in which are kind of like just our human condition is kind of put on display even more so because of technology and how the things that I've always been there for all of human history, like since the Fall especially, have been have been prevalent and real, but there's a way in which technology and the evolution of science and like the data network and the rapidness of communication puts that on like full display, and the way that that's even modified as people are basically, you know, at this point, like half robot and like you know, part human, part robot, having implants and all these things asking the questions even like basically anthropological questions regarding like what actually is a human? And are you still human or fully human if you have these implants. It really deals with all of those things really wonderfully. And I'm I'm trying to hit it all here, so I'm kind of randing and speed talking through it a little bit just to hit the high points. But I can't recommend that game enough because it's not necessarily beautiful, but it's meaningful and it really I think, asks a lot of thought provoking questions and explores them quite nicely.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that one's been on my Steam wish list for sure. I'm like waiting for it to go and sale or something, just waiting to find the time. But yeah, whenever I you know, I see people or I see like ads or people YouTube videos, whatever, people at the whatever apples apples headset, you know, ar VR headset that's like just wear this while you're cooking dinner and it's stuff or whatever. Interact with your family with a yes, I see cyberpocket. I think of that, and yeah, okay, that's definitely a future where we feel like we're creeping closer towards Also.
Speaker 5: If you like, if you have any like affinity for Kean or Reuse whatsoever. His likeness is like one of the main characters in the game and he's a huge jerk, so it's really funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I really appreciate what sci fi can do in presenting just the warnings against science right progress and technology. You know, I mean, I've I've always felt that anybody with any kind of sense of things recognizes where technology can go amiss. But I mean, after reading you know, Lewis's Ransom series, that that really put me on you know, the scientists or the demon possessed villains behind closed doors here. One of my favorite things about those books is the the ending, especially that the epilogues of like Out of the Silent Planet, for example, where you know, at the end, Lewis basically comes out and says, oh, by the way, this stuff is real. Now, now go cast down the demonic scientists. And you know that I saw that article coming out a few years ago about how Lord of the Rings is radicalizing. But nothing is as straightforward as Lewis's epilogues in those books against science.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I mean, my my go.
Speaker 2: To dystopian look at the future is definitely Fallout and I know, the super mainstream, but you know, I've been on board since Fallout three. New Vegas especially played a lot of Fallout four. All the New Vegas is definitely the best game objectively, but and even the show I think was done really well in tune with the spirit of the games, where you know it is, we're obviously in this disaster scenario. You know, civilization has been destroyed. We're dealing with the remnants that are left, and everything is just gross and mean and dirty, but you know, there's still these glimmers of goodness, glimmers of hope, this reminder that life does go on, life can go on even when everything externally is stripped away. And I actually think thats as much as you can expect Amazon to do I felt like they decently maintained this with the show in that you know, like Lucy, the main character part of her story is you know, she's like the bright character in the Wasteland. You know, she always has this positive attitude. She even you know, maintains fidelity to the Golden Rule. You know, that's a kind of an ongoing theme here, even you know too well people who aren't very nice to her. It's a Again, is it like a Christian franchise. No, certainly not. However, I do think that there is just some of that resilience of life, resilience of goodness that can be found through I mean this, you know, post apocalyptic, retro future look at things. And so that's that's that's my go to, you know, dystopian franchise of choice, Sam tell us about. You can either comment on any of that or just go off on something else.
Speaker 4: Army, I need to both play Fallout. I have New Vegas in my library, but I need to. And then I actually want to want to watch the show because I wanted to. I probably wouldn't wanted to include in a video that I'm gonna make in the future. But so again, that's another series that I'd like to explore. And yeah, when you talk about you know, franchisees that most any franchise is not going to be a Christian franchise or a Christian story. You know, even Lord of the Rings is not. It is it is very much Christian, but it is not. It is not a sermon, it is not a homily, right, And that's I've said this many times. I will say it many more times. Christian movies generally suck because they don't care enough about the movie part, right, They're trying to communicate their message to a to a broader audience by making a movie. This is what Hollywood has been doing, just from the opposite end of the faith spectrum, where they don't really have much faith. They don't really have much morals for the most part. They just kind of have a vague sense. I mean it's like Marxist morals basically, where it's like, yeah, these people are pressed, we're gonna need to make sure we support them until they become the present. And it's like, anyhow, this is what Hollywood's done. They've they've forgotten a lot about you know, especially big mainstream Disney forgotten about the movie part. The art right, the telling a story in a way that no one else can, and they just want to tell people things just doesn't work anyhow. That's that's my little self buck. So when you talk about you know, movie or movies, franchises, games, whatever, being Christian, most of them are not going to be. But there Peter Criefton Is in Philosophy of Tolkien repeats this phrase from one of Tolkien's letters at least twice. I'm halfway through the book and he's repeated it at least twice, where Tolkien says, you know that you know more important, or at least the objective of you know, something like Lord of the Rings is the elucidation of truth, right, the encouragement of good morals by showing them in these you know, real but fantastic ways, right with these characters. So that's, you know, whenever I'm approaching and analyzing some media, which is what I do on the channel, right, I analyze it from a Christian perspective, but from the more from the lens of virtue and you know, growing to you know, growing in virtue, growing in love of others. Anyhow, So I ended talking about actual games that I actually care about, were about to say something, Andrew, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I just can say that.
Speaker 2: I mean, the Christian way of viewing anything is to find truth wherever it is and to recognize it as such. You know, it goes only back to Justin Martyr, right, I have an old truth is God's truth wherever it can be found, and so I definitely agree with you on that. I mean, the way that Tolkien goes about writing his story is he told the story he had to tell, then he looked back and said, oh, I wrote a Christian story. That's what he basically says to one of his letters.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I'm just echoing what you've said.
Speaker 1: You can continue.
Speaker 4: So tying into that, it would be the games that have Two of the games that have captured my attention in the last few years are the God of War games, so specifically the more recent too so one came out twenty eighteen, which just called God of War even though it is really God of War four, and then God of War Ragnak, which came out twenty twenty two. I believe, so their continuation of the original God of War PlayStation games, you know, one, two, and three and a couple in between, which followed the tale if you're not familiar of Krados, who is a character. He's a son of He's a son of Zeus, because who in Greek tales isn't a son of Zeus? Who basically who's a wife and who is tricked into killing his own wife and child in his battle lost by Aries, and in revenge she ends up tearing down all of Olympus and throwing all of Grease into chaos. And then he attempts to what's the word that you have to use to be algorithmically collect, he attempts to unlive himself, and that's where God of War three ends. Follow up, you catch up with him a decade plus later in God of War four in the in the reboot, and he's now it's now he's now in Norse mythology, so he is has found a new life. He is, you know, married a Nordic woman, a giant as we found out find out, and had a son who's I think about nine, nine, ten eleven years old in the first game, and the first game begins with his wife's funeral and him have to figure out how to raise this kid to be a father, to be a good father when he never really had that example, and his struggles with his past, right, his struggle with forgiving himself right, finding you know, redemption just for himself, right, That is a huge, huge theme, right, obviously, someone who's who's done horrible, horrible deeds in the past finding for self, forgiveness and redemption. That remains a theme throughout both of the reboot games. And so those stories absolutely captured my attention because especially as a father myself, even though my kids are a bit younger, just struggling with you know, whatever struggles I may have, and how I really do not want to pass on my own faults and flaws to my kids, you know, seeing him, you know, grow in humility, right and meaning that in the very truest way where he learns to know himself in his place. Right. But yeah, forgiveness and redemption by far the largest largest themes in those stories. And that's again it's a very Christian message, even if the developers are probably partly not Christian. Certainly the studio as a whole is not explicitly Christian, but that's kind of Christianity's whole thing. So and it's but it is beautiful and it's one of the one of the things that even people who aren't Christian, they can realize that, right, because it is just an obvious truth. If you just tell people that, yeah, you can't change what's done, right, you have to move on. At the near the end of one of the last games, not to spoil it too much, but one of the one of the characters says to Credos, don't you know what I've done? And Creatos responds responds, yes, but what will you do now? And that plays over and over and over in my head because that's it, right, because I certainly have the temptation to look back on what I've done, whether we're five minutes ago or a year ago, and go, what was I thinking? What's wrong with me? And you know the answer is who cares? What are you going to do now? Oh? That's definitely on the more story spectrum of the you know, the games that have really captured my attention. There's lots of others, many far less story driven, but yeah, for the sake of brevity, all kind of there for now?
Speaker 3: Well good?
Speaker 2: I mean that you know, final thought that you left off with there, I mean, it reminds you what you said at the beginning of the conversation regarding the you know, persistency of dark souls, and that you know, it presents the scenario of Okay, get to deal with what's in front of you and you know figured out.
Speaker 3: Essentially, you know.
Speaker 2: In one of my one of my philosophy classes, my students recently read Victor Frenkle's Man Search for Meaning, in which you know Frankel was a psychiatrist Holocaust survivor comes out writing the book on how he maintained a life of meaning even in the camps, and he makes the point that a lot of times we asked the question of like, what is the meaning of life? And I mean, I think that's a perfectly valid question. However, he reframes that and says, what we also need to be asking ourselves is what is life demanding of me? That's a different kind of question. A lot of times we asked the question what is the meaning of life? We even though again as a Christian like I have answers to that, but I feel like a lot of time when we ask that question, we make it so abstract as to hide from any responsibility that might come from the answer, Whereas if we asked the question, like what do I actually need to do today? What are my responsibilities today? What do I do in light of the things that I've done yesterday, Like, given the facticity of what's before me, what do I.
Speaker 1: Do with that?
Speaker 2: And I think that's the least tangentially related to you know, some of what you brought up.
Speaker 3: There, Josh, Do you have any experience with those games?
Speaker 5: I do not. Those are games that when they first came out, I was a little bit younger and I wasn't a lot to play them. Again, probably a good decision by my parents at the time two thousands, I think so. But I have been recommended those most those two most recent God of Horror games, not just by one friends, not just by two, but probably at least three or four friends now. So that's probably a sign that, uh, I do need to visit those next time I play a new game.
Speaker 3: So what are you guys say something like I.
Speaker 4: Shifted no no, the original God of War games, which I played when I was making my first video on Kraados. I played the I played God Got of War one and three, and they were they are very very violent, and the latter games are too. Honestly, so, I mean credos is it's it's very much fantasy violence. So you know, the enemies are largely you know, fantasy characters. Uh, you know fantasy monsters, so you know Drogger, right, undead, you know undead, you know form you know zombies basically or you know, wear wolf like creatures or whatever. You know, one of which you know, Kratos is you know finishing move, will grab the things jaw and rip it in half.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: Just there's a character who exclaims that'll hot my dreams when he does that, and it makes for some funny moments, but it's they're rather brutal, right, They're they're umbrated games, and they they treat Creatos as the hulking spartan you know, you know god that he is. So yeah, not not good game for cure kids. They're a little they get a little rough, for sure. But yeah, I add me to the list of people who wholeheartedly recommends them. In terms of scope, for you know a lot of modern games, they're not horribly long. The first one is maybe twenty hours, the second is. I think I finished it at under thirty, especially because I don't I didn't bother playing in a higher difficulty because I wanted to experience the story. Those are very very good, very well done games. The right eating is excellent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just now that you brought up violence, I should say that, you know, I don't. I don't know all of you know who's watching and listening to this, and so don't uh well, you know, I endorse fall Out a little bit ago. Speaking of violence, the show games grossly violent, like over the top, campy level of violence, which doesn't really bother me because it's like so over the top, but that's definitely something you have to be okay with if you're going to engage at all with anything related to that franchise. Now, as far as okay, another game of choice that I can bring up here, you know, in addition to Elder Scrolls, Fallout one that I find myself returning to on a fairly regular basis, even still at least every couple of years or so. Knights of the Old Republic Right definitely top tier Star Wars games, top tier RPGs in general. I think that this is just an era of Star Wars history lore that's so rich for storytelling. It's back when Star Wars maintained obvious differences between.
Speaker 3: Good and evil.
Speaker 2: The Jedi are good, the Sith or evil, and I think that that is just so so much more compelling from a story level as well as accurate philosophically. And you know, I well, like most things, you know, you go back in history and there's a lot more to deal with and well, the modern storytelling, I'll put it that way.
Speaker 5: I'm really glad you mentioned this because there's like, I don't know enough people who have played those games, and it kind of it bothers me. Sometimes nothing against people who haven't played them, but I want more people to play those games, especially people who are, you know, fans of Star Wars, people who are you know, maybe a controversy a little bit real into Star Wars, you know, people who respect the original trilogy and you know, hate the sequels and such things. Right, But that I always what I like wanted what I wanted when like they like announced the Force Awakens, right, episode seven, Force Awakens, that's what it was called whatever it was like ten ten eleven years ago when they announced that, when they were like saying they were making a sequel trilogy to Star Wars, it's like going in the direction that like Kotor was, is like what I wanted them to do right, especially like the second game where it's like you really have like kray As almost like this like Nietzschean like Zara thirstraw like type of figure who's kind of like challenging you to It's almost like they could be like taken as like deconstructionists in some way, of like the Jedi in the Sith and I guess it kind of is in some ways, but in some ways she presents like this this via media, like really like gray path between the two, and some sense she's like kind of just like hates the Force all together and wants it to die. But all those are really interesting ideas to explore in Star Wars, right.
Speaker 4: And.
Speaker 5: One of my I've been I've been watching the Star Wars original trilogy since like before I can even remember, right, So I'm talking to somebody who has been a fan of those movies my entire life, and I think, like the thing I noticed, like when I got when I grew older and got a little more mature with Star Wars is like I like the writing and the original trilogies. I like the stories, I like all the character arcs, and I more than like, I love the world of Star Wars, like the original Star Wars just a really cool world, like a lot of the design of you know, the different characters, the different races, the different planets, like the the the escapes of like the cities and the deserts and the jungles like all of that, Like it's it's a really cool world. The Jedi is a really cool idea, you know, basically these kind of like monastic nights with laser swords in a sense like that's that's that's a really cool idea, right, And it was in a sense like probably in some ways really original in its time. But the problem I've always seen with Star Wars until like besides like really with Kotor, is that they have a great foundation that they never really built off of. The original trilogy set up so much there that could be explored with literature, with philosophy, with a lot of interesting ideas and dynamics and character arcs, and then you know, I'm not going to really talk about the prequels because we could just talk about all the memes and the acting and the script and all of that. But with the sequels, I feel like there was a real opportunity there with honestly, some quality actors, some big name Hollywood directors. Maybe you know, jaj Abrams could have done better. Maybe he could have I don't know, but those ideas, like I wanted them to explored so bad in episode eight. It really seemed like with the trailer and like the hype up to that it could they could have explored some of these ideas from like Kotor one or Kotor two in it, and then it was just kind of a schlockfest, to be honest, I'm just gonna say it, like it just it just was. And they didn't do any of that with with like Luke, they didn't do any of that with with Ray or Kylo Red or any of these people, and it was it was a huge disappointment. But well, all that to say that, like Kotar one and two are the Star Wars story that like I always dreamed of but has never been told on a screen or even in a book. Necessarily, it's in these semi obscure video games from the original Xbox which a lot of people didn't even really play in the early mid two thousands, and they're just kind of you know, for instance, it was gonna be like lost in history, and I'm like this, this is the greatest Star Wars story ever told, and few and far between people have experienced this or even know that it exists. And like, there's my plug. Buy therefore you to play those games. It's like if you'll give for something rich in the Star Wars universe, it's like, there's your story. Play the code our games, especially Kotor two especially.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely second that I'm not gonna go too deep in it because we'll be having some chats on it in a couple of months. We're doing some patron chats on it. But you know, you brought up how in the second one, Kreya like basically tries to deconstruct the Force, essentially deconstruct the lines between good and evil, the Jedi and the Sith. But what makes that different than what happens in the newer movies is that she's the obvious villain, like she does something wrong, which just shows that the start contrasts in storytelling, whereas so much of I mean, I know that we could it'd be easy to spend the rest of this conversation just hating on the new movies, but you know, so much of those movies are just they're deconstructing in the wrong way, which is the spirit of the age I suppose, where all the heroes get ripped apart. You know that Han Solo, obviously one of the coolest characters in the franchise, is now this like deadbeat divorcee who's just like not really doing anything significant anymore, you know, every Luke, I mean, he's obviously a lesser form of what he really should have been. By this point in his story. All the heroes are getting torn down. The institution of the Jedi gets torn down as just this artifice of raw power. You know, it's all about deconstruction, as if that's somehow spirit of nobility. I don't know, but Kotor is Star Wars as it should have been, And you know, honestly, I can't elevate it above the original trilogy simply because that's that's the original. But I think a case can be made that it is an even better story. But again, I that's hard to say looking back. I same, do you have any experience of those games.
Speaker 4: I've played the first one, I've yet to play the second one. I played the first one last year for the first time. I I I set a deadline for myself said I'm gonna play this game and I make a video about it by this deadline, and I kind of and then that was right before I was finishing another very long video, so I was a little bit rushed in that, and I didn't do as good of a job as I would have liked. And I admit I played the game under like a little bit of time crunch, so I probably didn't enjoy it as much I would as I would have liked. I also played it twenty years after it came out, and I went, I would have enjoyed this a lot more eighteen years ago if I had played it before. I had the expectations of what modern RPGs look like, just in their combat, in their dialogue, not not the quality of the dialogue, but just how it's visually portrayed. Where all the dialogue and Kotor is just a talking head, which is not as interesting as seeing an actual dynamic cutscene such as technology, that's how it goes. I found the philosophy of that game to be wonderful. Again, it is very very much a story of redemption, assuming you make light size choices. And I mean but even even at the end there right like Revan offers redemption to Malick. It's Malick, right, that's it. Yeah, you know, even saying that, like I found it, you can find it too, despite him, you know, persisting in in his errors till till that end. And yeah, and you find that message, you look for that message, you find that message.
Speaker 3: Ever, what can we do? Move on?
Speaker 4: You move forward. You can't change what's done. You can only move on. That's that's the Darret quote from Dead Redemption too. Yeah, so it's I find I find it fascinating and wonderful that that theme runs through so many incredible stories. And yeah, absolutely, the storytelling and you know, just the character dynamics of of Kotor are something that don't really exist in Star Wars anymore. Absolutely, I will frame from bashing the sequels any further. You guys have done a fantastic job. I'm not going to do that. That's not what we're talking about. I will say one thing. It's fine for us, as human beings living on a planet Earth to say laser swords, because that is our conceptual knowledge of a lightsaber, right, it's the sword made out of a laser. Luke says, laser sword. In the last Jedi, and that drives me nuts because it's a lightsaber. He knows it as a lightsaber. They don't know what swords are. All they know are lightsabers. I mean, I suppose there could be other some sort of swords or whatever, but it's it's a lightsaber, he says it in this you know, just again it's deconstructing, right, like he's tearing down the idea of a very lights heaer by calling it a derogatory name. Drives me insane. Anyhow, the others, the other Star Wars game.
Speaker 5: What je so this is one of those Ryan John citizens that was thrown Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, the other Star Wars game that I love to death. It's a very simple game. It takes maybe six hours to play through. Is Star Wars Republic Commando the original Xbox game? I think it came out around the same year's Kodere two thosand and four two thousand and five. I think it was like co Tor, Star Wars Battle Friend B. It's probably command All came out right around the same time. Uh so, what a year for Star Wars video games. And it is if you haven't played it, which you probably haven't because it's very It really got buried. It's a story about a commando squad Clone Commandos during the initially like the Battle of Genosis, and then a couple of later missions including Battle and Kshik Battle on Kashik which is seen in episode three of the prequels, and basically they were kind of behind enemy lines missions. Uh, and it is fantastic. It's you know, it's again. It's a short first person shooter where you're just going through. You're fighting you know, droids and gen oceans and you know, raw mercenaries hired by the separatists. But what forms the core of the game is the bond that these four Clone Commandos share, right, they all have their initial individual distinct personalities, because otherwise it would just be kind of weird if they were in fact just the same person, even though they are the same person, and they have this incredible bond of brotherhood. My favorite thing to ever appear on a screen as Band of Brothers, the story about the one hundred and first Airborne at one of their companies right in the in the war in Europe in World War Two, because it shows this just how war forges this bond of brotherhood and how like that can be found like nowhere else.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: War is a horrible, horrible, terrible thing, one of the worst blights on humanity, but it forges some of the most incredible love. And I think that's I mean that you talk about like the beauty of God's creation, like God's ability to you know, reshape, to make all things new right into sense, right where he takes this horrible thing and he creates something incredible, incredibly beautiful out of it, even if, like you know, on Earth, you know, may last a short time because men get killed in war, but they had they found this love that they couldn't find anywhere else. And that you find that distinctly in Republic Commando right where these you know, these these four clones right they are they consider each other brothers. They would happily and immediately die, you know, rather than see one of their comrades fall. And it's a phenomenally phenomenally done story. It's something I made a video about it a long time ago, and like I need to revisit that and talk about that more in depth. You know, it makes me think of like Halo Reach to some extent too, where you know it is kind of you know, they're doomed in a sense that it's not quite the same as Halo Reach, where you know they all are doomed, but you know, you kind of you kind of know this can't really be a happy ending, but you're there for you know, the bonds that are forged. And yeah, it's it's very very good. There's another one, just if you can find it on Steam for cheap, which it always is, and uh, yeah, definitely want to check out.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that your description just shows how rich Star Wars is for good storytelling, because you know, it's a lot of times it's categorized as sci fi, but it's not. It's fantasy that happens to be in space. It's not technologically driven, it's it is a fantasy story. I mean, the the Jedi are essentially wizards with with swords too, I guess use a derogatory term, but you know, I mean another well we're on on this theme. I mean another title the Well, I'm guess I'm going back to the Old Republic, but the the MMO is actually really good. The start the Old Republic MMO and I I haven't I don't play a lot of MMOs. I played Wow for a while when it first came out. I went from from the beta up through Burning Crusade. But the The Old Republic MMO really takes that basic model. It's kind of a wild skin, Like I guess, a lot of things are more or less, but you know, each of the classes gets its own character story. That's basic. The KO tore length at least nearly, which you know, I hadn't really seen before to have that much replay value, that much variability, that much storytelling built into this one game, and it's, uh, yeah, so that's just I don't know. I don't have a who lot else to build on that, because again, it's like eight different games essentially built into one as far as the storytelling goes.
Speaker 3: Josh, we are you going to say something?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't. I definitely don't know about The Old Republic MMO because I've never played it, But I was just gonna, like, I was gonna second his h his recommendation, everything he said about Republic Commando and also offer since like you said, we're on the topic now, yeah, now you're saying it. There's like there was a lot of Star Wars gems and from like two thousand, two thousand and five, and Jedi Outcast and then Jedi Jedi Academy. I'm getting them in the right, I think, but they were basically like the stories of Luke Skywalker after Return of the Jedi and him like he's like the new like Jedi Master, he's like the Yoda. Now he's not like super old or anything. He's still kind of looks like you know, Mark Hamill looks like in like the mid eighties, but he's like that.
Speaker 3: He's not drinking blue milk on Island yet.
Speaker 5: No, he's not drinking some like aliens utter or something like that. By me means no. And this never happens in that story out Oft think thankfully because they didn't you know, bastardize his character in any way. But it's it's really Luke like right after it's like a little bit after Return of the Jedi, and he's he's rebuilding like the Jedi. He's building the Jedi Academy as is in the name of in the name of the game title, and like it's it's that story, and like your your character is basically one of his, like the apprentices and padawans there, and he's got this Jedi night named Kyle Kataran, who's like one of the most underrated Star Wars characters of all time. He's almost like Han Solo if you became a Jedi. He's got that like like aristhmatictic, like rogue smoke order, sarcastic personality type. But he's great. Those games are awesome too. I couldn't recommend them enough as well.
Speaker 4: There's something I was going to say, but it slipped my mind. But yeah, okay, glad I found another the Commando fan the game is has captured my heart forever. My wife's too, but she doesn't play a whole lot of games. Lack of time and you know, just not not her favorite way to relax. But uh, she she bought me off off Etsy a couple a couple of different Christmases, like two of the helmets from from the game, so I had those are on like on my bookshelf that stands behind me when I when I filmed videos. Yeah, phenomenal story, that's super awesome.
Speaker 5: I have a friend that like makes uh he like made like Mandalorian helmets for fun. He's made like a helmet from Fallout and stuff like that too, But super cool stuff. When people do that.
Speaker 2: Cool and I feel like we could probably go around all night, just different games laid. But I mean me, I'll throw one more at least from my side. And really it's I mean, originally it's built off the same model of Kotor, and that, of course is dragon Age, which I've played.
Speaker 3: I played a lot of.
Speaker 2: I mean I played one and two and sometimes three on a fairly regular rotation for a while. Just another rich fantasy series, you know, because I was there in the beginning that the clunky elements of dragon Age origins, you know, never really bothered me, just as with Kotor, because I definitely recognize that Sam says that getting into those games can be difficult jumping in now without having that, you know, without being there three thousand years ago, as Alrod would say.
Speaker 4: That.
Speaker 2: Well though, by the way, you know, there is supposedly a Kotor rebake in the works. There there's been one off and on studio problems, but for everything I can tell, it's still happening at some point. But yeah, but dragon Age, of course, is another one of those franchises that has just tanked to postmodern ideology. Everything that I've seen from the latest installation that's come out had just ruined it for me. It's it's it's so easy I think for creators, for studios to move away from how do I tell a story? To how do I tell the story that people not even just that they want to hear? How do I tell the story that people should hear?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: And that's when you get into propaganda. That's that same was saying, it's the other side of the I'm going to tell a Christian story, but I'm gonna tell some postmodern Marxist deconstruction of story.
Speaker 3: And so it's just it's just kind of a shame where things go with it.
Speaker 4: I remember what I was about to say. I've not played I've never Touched the Old Republic. I've not played a second of it, simply due to lack of time. And also I've never played an MMO, so I just haven't really depped my toes in. But the cinematic trailers for that game are incredible. I will go and rewatch them from time to time on YouTube. They are some of the best storytelling like in the Star Wars universe.
Speaker 2: And I'm not being hyperbolic, Yes, yes, I mean those games are incredible for storytelling. As far as the end game as well as the cut scenes. I mean as far it's I mean, I have not played many momos, like I said, I've played Wow, I've played a good bit of The Old Republic. I did my toes a little bit in the Elder Schools online, but that just didn't last more than a few hours before I just decided that wasn't for me. But Star Wars the Old Republic, it's it's a fantastic game. And even if you're not into the MMO elements of it, which you know, I I need to just play by myself. I'm an independent gamer for the most part. You know, you can go through those play essentially like single player games with just very rich storytelling. Well, I mean, is there anything else? And I said, we could go on all night.
Speaker 3: We won't do.
Speaker 2: That's anything on Stammer or Josh that you wanted to bring up.
Speaker 4: We've talked a lot about like kind of story during games, but I think one of the games one of the aspects that makes games so good is that you can tell your own story, right, like just your progress through the game is is itself often a story. So some of my two of my favorite games that are both of my top ten hours on Steam are the Xcom games, not the original ones from like the early nineties, but the reboot from twenty twelve and then the Xcom two from twenty sixteen, And so basically it's an alien invasion. Xcom is the you know, multinational agency that comes together and unlike all other multi national agencies or created, is actually effective. So right, so you're fighting back against the aliens and you know, progressing your technology tree, you know, doing various research, building out your base, et cetera, all those you know, good kind of RPG like elements. But you are controlling a you know, kind of a top down almost like you know, almost like a table talp game, squad of soldiers that you you know, on take turns, you know, moving around the maps, the tactical turn based game. You move around the map, you shoot the anlyats, you throw the grenades. You know, you win the mission and the story. This game would not be half as good if it didn't let you name your characters, but it does, and so you can name them Ao and are Eric, orn Almer and so forth, or you can give them names from Star Wars or pick your favorite fantasy you know series, or name them after your friends and family whatever, all right, but then you have because you have characters, right, because you have people, this is now a story, right, These characters now have arcs almost right where they get wounded, you know, they're severely you know, wounded by a place asthma bolt from from an alien. But they come back and you know they rise, you know, the top rank they have the most kills of the whole mission, right, or you know someone who's your star throughout the whole whole mission. You know, it gets the gets the floor blown out from out of them, the falls to their death.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: So it's kind of it lets you kind of create this this story in your mind as you go through this games, you know, and and it's got lots of other elements which you could get value of. Again, it's it's planning, thinking ahead, perseverance. You make the game, the games more difficult, actually tactical thinking, not just rushing through. But I love the element of being able to create your own story. And this is where games, you know, RPGs and the like are, you know, really shines that you know, the choices you make matter. And I think that's one of the one of the things that games to tell people best because they're interactive. It forces you to make choices, and those choices mattering is you know something that is obviously applicable to our for day life.
Speaker 2: So you mentioned that one of your your you know, highest our account on Steam. What do you think it's your your your number one Steam game most out.
Speaker 4: I know I looked this up recently, and I know it's it's more than double anything else. The game is called Rocket League, and this is again very very opposite end of the spectrum. Everything we've been talking about. Rocket League is soccer with rocket powered cars. It's it is exactly what it sounds like.
Speaker 3: I have.
Speaker 4: I think it's something like six hundred hours on Steam, and I know that that number is maybe a little more half of my actual total number of hours in the game. I played on Xbox, and I played on like Epic Games for a while for whatever reason. Uh, that's the game I get back into in like twenty fifteen when it came out and I played a lot. I played it a lot with my friends and it was a game I got very good at, which again there's it's the most sport like video game that you could possibly ever make, because it's most sport video games Madden, NHL whatever are just like press a button to throw the throw a pass, shoot the puck, shoot the ball, whatever, and like there's very little actual refined skill in it, whereas Rocket League is you have minute control over your car and it's all physics based, so how you hit the ball at what point, at what angle, what speed matters, and you know where the ball actually goes right, So it is it's just entirely skilled. There's basically no luck whatsoever. And having play a lot of sports when I was younger, that kind of filled that need for a little bit, whereas like I'm not wasn't competing in sports anymore, so it gave me something to really practice and get good at. So yeah, very different for most of the stuff we've been talking about, And that's kind of what I love about video games is where it can it can you know, bring out good in you, It can teach you all sorts of things. It can you know, be of value, even if it's whether it's practicing a very specific skill in Rocket League or exploring pill deep and philosophical themes in Kotor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that that emphasis on skill, that's something that you know sometimes I hear Elon must talk about, which I mean, he's not my number one philosopher, but you know, he talks about how that kind of hyper focus can help you to one thing, kind of reset your mind and separating out other things in life. You know, take that a little bit of a break. But also it just trains your mind to hyper focus, and that itself is a good exercise from time to time. Uh, Josh, tell us, what's what's your most played game?
Speaker 1: Do you think.
Speaker 5: Most played game of all time or on Steam.
Speaker 3: Wherever you want to go with that. I don't know all time all time.
Speaker 6: I don't know if I might spend too much time thinking about that, So I'm for now because I haven't checked this and I've been on Steam in a while, to be honest, but I know for sure it's actually is like the first Dark Souls.
Speaker 5: Game, because I think I've beaten it like a lot of our twelve times. I used to like like quasi speed run it, meaning like I could like beat it in like maybe like two or three hours. But that doesn't make me a speed runner because you know, there's like guys that play that game like Naked with like nothing, but like a Caveman Club and like they like play it with like the guitar Hero controller and still beat it in twenty minutes. Like I'm not. I wasn't never that ridiculous, But I think that that is like my most played game, and honestly, like it really was. Yes, it was fun, but I wanted to like keep exploring that world. It's Dark Soul is one of the world's called Wardrone, and I wanted to keep exploring Wardrone over and over and over and over and over again. And that's what kept drawing me back to play. It was like a comfort food for a while. It was like whenever I was like needed to, like I don't want to say relax too much, because you can only relax so much playing Dark Souls, but there was like a level or like there's something that just feels like it's like like going home after like a difficult journey in a way to like only go home and go on a virtually difficult journey. But there was something really comforting about just exploring that world. Even though the world is sometimes terrifying, the world is sometimes challenges you to wit send in a way. But yeah, I just something about that game that's always kept bringing me back to it. So that's I have, like I think close to one hundred hours on that on Steam, so quite a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, as with Sam, despite most of our conversation, my number one game is not story driven. It's actually Crusader Kings two by a long run, which that that game if you haven't played it as a kind of a deep learning curve, but once you get it down, it's.
Speaker 3: Just it's.
Speaker 2: Infinite replay value. I'm not going to tell you how many hours I have on it. It's kind of an ups number. And then after that, then we get to the story driven games and we go to Fallout, Skyrim and whatnot. Although five is up there as well.
Speaker 4: Yep, so five is easily my top ten, but again there's a there's a story within that game, right, Like my wife and I would both play five. We'd be playing you know, we're in college, but separate colleges. You know, we'd divisive five, you know, our individual games. And we get on Skype back when Skype still existed, you know, a couple of times a week, and we talk about our sip games. We're talking about the story, what wonders you building? You know, we go into war with anybody. Has anybody you know been been harassing you right as England and Constant been attempting to trade with you, and you have to tell us what the go pound sand like? There's I don't know. I love the Yeah, the ability to just tell a story with you know, the ability of games to tell stories even when they're not telling a story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's part of the value of subcreation when when they give you that room to tell your own story, to participate, you know, that's why you know. Tolkien says that one benefit of literature over movies is that you have to visualize things in your own mind. And to that extent, every reader has a somewhat of a different story based off what their experience, other things they've read, the various things that go into forming your mental images of what's playing out. That you participate in the act of subcreation as a reader versus a movie where you're just watching something play out. I think a similar case could be made for video games, at least for a large number of video games. When you play a role in creating what the story is. I mean, yes, you're operating within certain parameters, but you are also operating in certain parameters. When you read a book, you're dealing with the texas given to you, and so I think that that case very easily could be made.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean really, it applies more to less to story driven games than it is to a lot of others, because most of games, like the God of War games that I'm thinking of specifically, they are largely movies, right where there's a lot of gameplay, but then there's a cutscene right in this kind of this long cut scene. Something like kotor Is, which is still very storag driven, is less like that. There much more subcreation available to than games which are like, Okay, they're telling you this story and you're playing through it. So it kind of depends on the game. There's a lot of a lot of variation there. But yeah, I think absolutely. I didn't I assume that it's from one of Tolkien's letters, because most everything that Tolkien says that I haven't already read from his letters or I don't remember anyway, I've read some of them, but yeah, I hadn't heard that before, So that's fascinating.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, he really gets into that in his essay on fairy stories.
Speaker 4: That's fair stories, Okay, yeah, something I've read hearts of I don't think I ever sat down read the whole thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's definitely worthwhile.
Speaker 2: I mean, he has a lot of literary references that most people, myself included, like, I don't follow all of his references that he makes, not yet, but as far as the basic idea he's laying out there, it's really foundational to the way that I engage with stories in any format. So it definitely would recommend that to anybody listening. Yeah, so I feel like we covered good ground that the basics of what I wanted to discuss. I mean, is there is there anything that Josh or Sam you feel like should be brought to this that hasn't already It's a gay if not, But I don't want to cut off any thoughts.
Speaker 4: Hmm, I don't think so.
Speaker 5: I was kind of curious and maybe we've already touched on this enough, so let me know. But like the idea of like games that and like, I guess we did kind of talk about this with Stark Souls, but games that like don't have like an explicit uh an explicit like narrative, but almost like tells its meaning through like simple and aesthetics, if that makes sense. So I think like something like something like Legends of Selada might like fit into that category more where I guess like there is like an explicit story, but sometimes there's there's more beyond the story, or sometimes it's just the story is really basic, but there's more within the world. And one game I wanted to bring up in that regard in case anybody else's point is I was curious of a pointed shadow of the Colossus and if not, I'll like look that game up later. First of all, but that's a game where there's this it's kind of just symbol like you're this, you're this boy, and you you arrive at like this temple on a horse and basically had to beat these I think it's like I don't even remember how many coloss side there are.
Speaker 4: I think there's six. It's it's funny you mentioned it because they just picked that game like I had it forever and I started playing it. I needed to like lie down on the couch because I'm dealing with like an injury, but I was lying on the couch with like hey, kids, like we're gonna we're gonna play this for a little bit. We don't do that very much, but I was like so, and they got all sorts of questions, so I literally just like beat like the first colossus just the other day.
Speaker 5: But yeah, continue, oh no, for sure, that's that's super cool and coincidental to hear. But yeah, so there's like basically these sixteen coloss side and it's like your character is like this, it's kind of like your typical like you know, twelve year old boy with a sword in a fantasy setting and he's got he's got this horse, which is sometimes incorporated into the combat, sometimes more, sometimes less, but like you just you're just dropped off on this huge plane and you find the next colossus by like he holds his sword up to like the sun and like it points a beam of light towards just the general direction you have to go. And that's that's it. Like that's the entire game is just hunting down the sixth Colossi. They all represent different different like mythical beasts, and therefore it you have different ways to basically attack them like that. They're all like kind of they're kind of like a giant humanoid boss puzzle in a sense. But it's it's just a really fascinating game, and it's so unbelievably unique, but it kind of like ties in with that concept I'm trying to get at here. It's like, there's not like some explicitly deep store. It's not like it's not fall Out New Vegas where you can spend like dozens of hours just walking around, you know, the desert of Hilas Vegas talking to different people. Right, It's not you don't really talk to anybody the entire game, but somehow there's a story being told there through like the substance of the world versus you know, the mouths of the characters in this sense. And I feel like that's like a there's like a category of gaming that that that is that is that too. That's sometimes not talked about, but it can be even overlooked because sometimes it can be seen as or that game was dumb or something because it didn't have like a story, like what's the point it's like, but there was there was something there, and I think sometimes people just it's over their head. They miss it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, games have the advantage of that. Most movies, you know, TV shows will not of environmental storytelling, right, so they you know, developers good ones anyway will often you know, place objects in the world that tell a story that if you will care enough, you will find and notice them. The example that comes to mind the thing of when it comes to environmental storytelling is a game called Prey p R E Y that came out twenty sixteen, twenty seventeen, I think, and it very much has a story. It has a narrative set into spaceship or space station, you know, the not too distant future that you know it gets infected by an alien parasite essentially, but it has a lot of environmental storytelling, right, so, whether it's notes that are left around or even just like I think I've seen I remember seeing this in a video like someone's like baseball glove and pizza that are sitting out and kind of like you know stowed away spot where you can learn about you know, other characters for mostly all that anyway at this point just by you know, walking around and observing the world. And that's you know that you could apply the same sort of thing to you know, Breath of the Wild, where you you're going to learn about the history of the world just by observing, by walking around exploring, whether it's you know, just looking at every nook and grit that you can possibly find, or talking to every NPC and that you know, exhausting every possible dialogue tree, and yeah, that you know that is really cool. Where it's just the games really take in And this supplies to to think, to games more than most media, but to all media, because intentionality matters. Like we said at the beginning, but you really do get in what you put out, or get you really get out what you put in, and to an extreme extent where yeah, you can last through you know, the main quest of Skyrim, which everyone told me not to do when I tweeted that it was my first time playing and asking for advice like don't play them in question, Okay, I got it. Yeah, So it's just explore right experience. That's something that games can do that you know, other media can't really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that is for so long what has kept me with the Bethesda titles, with Elder Scrolls, with the fallout that you.
Speaker 3: It.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's it's kind of a you know, running joke that the main storyline is the side story, like it's it's the last thing you want to do after you you do everything else because the purpose of the games is not really the story per se. I mean, I think that the stories have some value, especially when you go back to morrowind and Oblivion. I mean, Skyrim's has a good central story too, but it's it's very simple. But the real purpose of the game, the value of the game is in the exploration, the engagement, in the subcreation of determining like what kind of role are you going to play in this world? And I think that's what gives something like Skyrims so much replay value, and that yeah, even though you're you're doing the same stuff eventually if you've played enough times, but you do it with your own sort of headcanon on who you are and what you're doing in the in this world, how you're engaging, And you know, Josha talking about that like dynamic storytelling of just the nonverbal cues and whatnot, the symbolism of the aesthetics. And I feel like even in these these Bethesta titles, you get a lot of that when you're just wandering around and you discover like the way like you'll come across like a corpse. That's that's in a certain way with other environmental cues as to what happened here, you know, follow Out I think does this very well with the way that you know, some of some of the settings laid out, and it's just it becomes this immersive, mysterious enchanting aesthetic, or I guess for Fallout kind of disenchanting is more of the point. Yeah, and so I think it's it's a good point. Well, we've been run for like an hour and a half. We could, as said, easily go all night just talking about different things, but I think we'll go ahead and wrap it there for now, and maybe if we want to at some point in the future we could hit up some more things. But I appreciate you Sam and Josh coming on, and I'm sure that we will talk again about something or another.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you so much for having me on, Andrew. We appreciate it. This is this is a great conversation. I enjoyed this.
Speaker 1: Thank you for watching and thank you for listening.
Speaker 2: If you're going through the podcast, I'm glad that you were able to join us for this conversation, and I hope that you'll be able to partake in some of the upcoming conversations. I hope that you'll be able to engage in the various things that the Mythic Mind Fellowship has to offer in the various directions that we're going. And so again, that's patreon dot com slash Mythic Mind and sign on a Tier three annual membership to get access to everything. But that's it for now until next time, God Speak. The music for this episode is owned by Bethesta. Please don't sue me. I don't play many video games these days, but there are certain titles that have stuck with me, enchanting the mind of my youth and never entirely fading away. One of the chiefs among these titles is the Elder Scrolls, namely Marwin, Oblivion and Skyrim. The level of artistry, mythology, and lore of this universe is vast and provides a strong representative for asking the question as to how video games might relate to literature as an art form. Where might it rise to such a level, where must it fall short? And what unique advantages does it possess. For this eight week study, we'll be seeking to answer these questions while analyzing various elements of this franchise, specifically focusing on content related to Morow and Oblivion and Skyrim will be taking a look at the philosophy of RPGs and considering the philosophical implications of character creation and formation in an open ended series such as this, and will be looking at the relationship between in game religion, lore, and ideas with our primary world philosophical and religious concepts. Each week will include one to two videos addressing these topics, ongoing discord conversations, and live meetings. You are also encouraged to spend at least a little time playing one of these titles each week as a launching pad for conversation. Join us in Tamreil that we might better understand our primary life here on Monday's. Enrolled today by going to patreon dot com slash Mythic Mind and checking out the shop, or you can access all courses past present, and any that begin during your subscription period if you purchase a Tier three annual subscription. Get that Tier three annual subscription and I'll give you that special code for your all access pass. I hope to see you there.