Speaker 1: H.
Speaker 2: Welcome to kt r H Garden Line with Skip Rickards.
Speaker 3: Showy gas can you do trip?
Speaker 4: You just watch it as worse Openso.
Speaker 3: Baby b things to see?
Speaker 4: What in the.
Speaker 5: Gas?
Speaker 6: Baby?
Speaker 7: Can you day?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: Good morning, congratulations tow you early birds this morning. Good to have you with us here on Garden Line. We're looking forward to visiting with you about the kinds of gardening questions you might be interested in visiting about. I can I can tell you this right now, boy. Everybody's brains and minds and hearts are on getting the garden in good shape. But getting that lawn and good shape. Yesterday I was out at Sienamultch and thanks to the folks at malt for having us out yesterday. It was a good time. We were out there with a lot of different folks from different groups and it was I don't know, it's kind of an opportunity is to visit with some of our sponsors were sitting over there across from us. There are next to us. Actually there's a microlife was there and folks from Medina were also there. That was nice to getting to kind of reconnect with some of the folks that are sponsors of our show. Visit with them about their products and things. Had a lot of people that came by. That was especially nice. Also, Heirloom Soils was out there, got to visit with Louis. So thanks to everybody that came out. But I can tell you this based on the question. It's like malan, malan, malon. That is the big thing that people are interested in. And within that category weeds. Weeds. Weeds are the ones that I was hearing the most of it. That's because all those school season weeds have now burst into their top growth of the whole their whole cool season period, setting their seeds. They've been blooming and setting seeds and they're flinging them everywhere, and those weeds look huge, and it's like the blue bonnet. You know, bluebonnets sprouted last fall on the roadsides, but you didn't see them. They were there in November and December, January, we didn't see them. And all of a sudden, as the weather warms up in the days get a little bit longer, here comes a lot of growth and blooms. Of course we enjoy those now, but right after the blooms, they're going to be popping those seed pods. They literally do pop and flinging them everywhere, and then next year we get more blue bonnets. The same thing happens in your lawn with chickweed and clover, and let's see what else carpet weed. Another one that we deal with is cleavers. That's one that feels like belcrow sticks to you. It's also called the crow weed. So at this point in the season, I would highly recommend you consider just pulling them up by hand as much as you can. Even if they break off. They are annual weeds. They're not going to have time to re sprout and grow and set seeds and all that. Just get them out of there for now, and be careful to doing it. Have a bucket, put them in there with all those hundreds and hundreds of weed seeds that are on them, because otherwise, even if you sprayed it and killed it, which it's harder to do at this stage, but even if you did, you're gonna be leaving the seeds behind. Those seats are not going to be killed because they've already formed in some cases now those that haven't. Of course, you could prevent that, but anyway, that seems to be a concern of a lot of people. And I know everybody varies in their tolerance to weeds. So you may be the kind of person that if there's one weed anywhere on your property, it's like a neon sign at midnight. I mean, it just shows up and it bugsy, can't stand it. And then on the other spectrum, there are people that just go moh them, they're green. It all looks green. Just mow the weed, don't worry about it. Okay, Well, you're probably somewhere in between those two. But that's your yard, as we like to say, I use that term a lot of visiting with family members. Well I think this, but that's your yard, meaning I can't tell you what to do. But you know what I've noticed about family members, they can tell you what to do. Doesn't mean you have to listen, but they can tail with some of your gone. Boy, I hear that. Jungle and is a product that Nitrofos provides all over this area, and it basically it is simply a very good container mix. So whether you have a houseplant inside, if you do grab their jungle l and water saving potting soil. If you have an outdoor container, you're doing jungle and flour and vegetable potting soil. Make sure your containers have drainage holes so extra water can get out, because jungle land will drain well and it will hold on to some moisture, so you're not watering it twice a day every day. It's just a good product. You're going to find it places like Bearings Hardware on Bissinet, Bearings Hardware on Westtheimer, Enchanted Forest, Chanted Forest down in the Richmond Rosenberg area on FM twenty seven fifty nine. Places you can find that jungle in if you're interested in visiting this morning about any question you might have. Now it's a good time to call. It's always quiet first thing Sunday morning before it picks up a little bit. So seven one three two one two k t RH seven to one three two one two k t r h GI me call. Well, we'll talk about the things like that I was telling you about Enchanted for us. I always like to go out there because it's different every time I go. I mean, it's the same place, the same you know, quality plans, the same layout and whatnot, but the product line is always evolving through the year. You know, you've got your standards. That would be something like, for example, the trees and shrubs and whatnot that are always there, but the color changes as we go through the seasons, and they're always on top of things. Are right now, there's just lots of beautiful, beautiful summer color, for example, kalladiums. Kalladiums like warm weather, and we're getting to the warm weather. And if you want to brighten up a shady area, kaladiums are a great way to do it. They are. In fact, here's just a principle of kind of landscaping that you might think about. There's no rules out there, but here's one. When you go into shady areas, it's harder to see dark colors, So something like a purple, a deep purple in a shade area, it's going to kind of just disappear into the darkness. But white jumps out like runway lights. It just really shows up. So if you're going to go with a pink, lighter pinks show up better than darker reds and pinks, And in dark areas, you can really draw the eye into there with that light colored materials, and kaladiums are a great one. Of course, they got them out there. They've got a lot of I think, Oh, they have an excellent supply of Chinese French tree. And if you've never seen a Chinese fringe, go too Enchanted Forest. There's one bloom and now it looks awesome. I love that. It's my favorite spring blooming tree. And of course they got a lot of this, They got a lot of everything. The desert roses are in a little succulent called Lithops that I think is really cool. Looks like came from another planet to me. And there are always a place to get plants for your butterfly, attracting both the larval food sources and the adult food sources. By the way, they are on FM twenty seven fifty nine the website Enchanted Forest, Richmond, t X dot com. Do yourseff a favor to day and run out there and check that place out. I'll be right back. Remember when there were groups of four or five people that sang together and permonized way back, Hey, welcome to Gardener. We're easing the into the music this morning. I know you know, if I were to play something loud and obnoxious might cause you to spill your cup of coffee. We're not going to do that to you this morning. I was mentioning earlier the fact that everybody has questions about their yard right now, and weeds are the probably the number one topic that I'm hearing overall. I mentioned that the cool season weeds are going to seed, and so you got to get them out of there with the seeds if you can. I understand if you can, if you've got a whole yard full of weeds and you can't pull them, but just remember, every time you pull a weed up, that's one weed, but you're probably pulling up one hundred seed. And so you know that's the decision to make. There's a way to do it, or harsh somebody to do it. As far as the weeds for summer, they are beginning to sprout as well they have been, and barricade is a product you put down that stops them from sprouting. Now, Barricade doesn't kill the weeds that you see in your yard right now, the ones that are big and blooming and everything else. It prevents the ones that haven't come up yet. And so that's happening for our summer weeds. So things like cribgrass and grasspur and all the summer weeds we deal with Barricade's a product that we would suggest you put down ahead of those weeds germinating in order to shut them down. Now, ten pound bags going to cover about five thousand square feet, so it goes a long way. And whether the weeds are broadly for grassy, it's got a very broad spectrum of weed control. So the vast majority of weeds you could possibly have in your yard that are coming from seed, barricade's going to be effective against those weeds. Now, you got to get it down. You gotta water it in. It takes about a half inch of water, maybe a third of it. It's just enough to get it to the soil surface and moved into the soil. And you're going to find barricade at places like Plantation, Ace Hardware out on FM three fifty nine down in the Richmond Rosenberg area, Court Hardware on South Maine in the Stafford area, and M and D Cypress up there on Luetta. These places carry nitroposs products which are available all over the place, easy, easy to find. Yesterday it was done at Siena Mulch and we had a good time with everybody that came out there. Thank you for that and your questions gave me a lot of products. The three sixty tree stabilizer is a very popular one. That was for sure, and some other products from different sponsors and things, but people had a good time ave it had to be that did come down and give the secret password brown stuff before green stuff, so that way that guaranteed you a three sixty tree stabilizer when you showed up for that one. So I'm looking at this week and trying to figure out, you know, what do I want to do out in the garden, because you know, when you're when you're a gardener, or we just enjoyed taking care of your lawn whatever, there's always things you can do. I mean, there's never like nothing to do out there, either replenishing molts or mowing or edging, or getting the flower beds soils prepared for planting, pulling old things out, putting new things in and by the way, landscapes. Landscapes are not made to be permanent. They just aren't. I mean, it would be nice if they were, but the truth is they evolved and they grew up. I was looking at a picture of the house I grew up in years ago, and the shrubs were over the eaves I mean they had been little, nice shrubs, but now they were just taking over the front of the house. It's trying to pull those out and put new ones in, or cut them way back and let them come back. But by the time a shrub hits that stage, there's probably a better shrub you could purchase to put in in that spot. So don't be afraid to change out your landscape. In some ways, I guess it's kind of like painting the inside of your house, or changing the curtains, or rearranging or ripple, you know, redoing some furniture. There's always different layouts. Of course, the out in the landscape, it becomes a thing of plants just grow and they just kind of overgrow their area and things. So choose dwarf plants when you can to keep them more manageable. But don't be afraid to change things out. It could be that you bought them and it just isn't doing well. That's okay, change it out. It could be the use to get tired of it. You don't want to look at that anymore. Maybe you want a new flower bed. Maybe there's two trees you're tired of mowing in circles. Around and you're going to make a nice oval flowerbed to go around each one, or whatever shape you want it to be. Always be looking at ways to change things out. It keeps it interesting, It makes it more beautiful, and it's okay. Don't feel like when you plant things it just always has to stay like that. It doesn't. And if you're fighting against shrubs, trying to keep them from encroaching on the sidewalks and all that kind of thing, maybe it's time to consider replacing those and coming up with something kind of different. Just a thought, just something to be considering. Anyway. So I was thinking about my week and I realized we moved into this house a few years ago, and I just haven't done much going forward in the landscape as much as I've done going backwards. What I mean is there are a lot of plants that were either unsightly, or they were located in an area where I just didn't want them, or they were not performing very well, and so we would pull those out. It doesn't bother me to kill a plant, and so got them out of there and someone relocating that's another thing we do. And then getting the flower beds they're already I've gotten the soil in them, right, I've gotten good and mulching on them. And you would say, well, why do you mulch when you don't even have plants in because of weeds? You know, you go out there and you clean up a bed and you get it all looking nice, and you walk away and leave that soil bear, and two weeks later the weeds are everwhere, and it's very discouraging. So when you get the soil right, cover it with a good thick layer of malt, and then just pull the mulch back when you want a plant. That's why I think the way you ought to do it. I'm going to be planning some more orchard trees this week. Get those going. Every time I see it like a fruit tree, maybe it's a satsuma orange or a peach or whatever the free tree is, I think, you know, oh, I would love to grow that. I'm going to plant that. And then you plant it and you sit there looking at this little stick in the ground or however big it is, and it's like, okay, I got to wait for fruit now. So in order to be able to enjoy fruit, the time to plant that fruit tree is today. In fact, there's an old thing that the best time to plant a tree is forty years ago. That's a landscape tree. The second best time is today. And that goes true with fruit trees, not forty years ago. But the best time to plant a fruit tree is about four years ago, and the second best time is today. So why don't you get out there. Our garden centers have a lot of beautiful, beautiful fruit trees of all types. Just to remember, fruit needs sunlight. That is the number one thing that goes wrong when I over the years of almost forty years now i'm doing this. The thing I see, the mistake I see made most is lack of sunlight. If there were a second one, it would be probably a tie just in terms of the amount of times I see the problem, and that is either lack of good drainage or lack of a pollinator variety for fruit that needs a pollinator. Not all does, some do. But you plant one apple tree, for example, they need pollinators. You plant one apple tree and it immediately becomes a member of the lonely Hearts club. It's got to have another variety there for pollination. So something to keep in mind. Southwest fertilizer, I talk about all the time, because I know of no place anywhere, and I mean that, I mean anywhere around this whole region that has the selection that they do at Southwest Fertilizer. If they don't have it, you don't need it. It's as simple as that. Every fertilizer I talk about on guarden line, every product on my schedules is a Southwest fertilizer, and then some many many more. So are you looking for things from Azamite, things from Nature's Way resources, heirloom soils, Medina products, microlife, Nilsen's turf Star, nitrofost, just on and on down the line. They're all there. And if you have a very unusual weed that's difficult to control with most products, they're going to have something at Southwest Fertilizer that will will get control of it. Quality products, they have expert advice. Of course, you get that old fashioned service. They've been around since nineteen fifty five. This is our seventieth anniversary year now Southwest Fertilizer dot com. That's the website seven to one three six sixty six one seven four to four. If you want to give them a call, and if you just want to drive out there, that suggest you do that. I enjoy walking through there and just seeing all the tools and products that they have. Corner of Businet and Renwick. Corner of Businet and Renwick, Southwest Fertilizer. Of course, in Southwest Houston, people drive a long way to go there too. I you know, it's their selection is so good that someone may come from the other side of town because as they know, when they get there it's going to be a one stop shop. They're going to get what they want. That makes sense to me too. I was talking yesterday with someone about they were looking for a little rose fertilizer. They had one rose bush and they were looking for a fertilizer for it, and I was saying, well, why don't you just get Nelson's Nutra Star rose food and because it's perfect for that. Now, there are a lot of different products on the market for a lot of different kinds of plants. One thing I like about Nilsen Plant Foods, fertilizer, jars Is, and that's the nutri Star line that I'm talking about, is that there is a Nutra Star for pretty much everything you'd want to grow. So it may be that you want to grow camellias. I'm excused. Yeah, so you would want an acid loving plant. Maybe you are interested in going plume arias. There's a nutral star plumeria. Maybe it's let's see boogin vellas. There's a neutral star for booga and villas, and then for fruit trees, and then for vegetables, and then on and on down the line. There is a neutrastar product for every plant you want to grow. And sometimes it may be, you know an acid loving plant. Well maybe it doesn't save a Genia sweet spire, or say you know some particular acid loving plant on the label, but it's for that too. And so when you go in and get a jar of Nelson plant food, the vegetable garden outstanding one. Talked to someone yesterday about their vegetable garden one. Five different sources of nitrogen that evenly release out over a period of time, the azalea and acid loving plants. It doesn't matter which one you get, it's going to be a quality fertilizer. And there's about a dozen places around town now where you can take that old jar when it's empty back in and refill it. That makes a lot of sense. Yeah, Nelson plant food, quality foods. Just use some myself the other day. All right here, Well, I don't quite have enough time to run to a call, but we are going to be. Let's see when I come back. I tell you we'll go to Angela and Katie and Ryan and Cleveland. You'll hang on. You'll be our first two up when we come back. I want to let you know that next Saturday, April fifth, from twelve thirty to two thirty, I'm going to be at Warren's Southern Gardens out in Kingwood. Warrens Southern Gardens out in Kingwood, and I hope you'll come out and see me. We're going to be doing some giveaways there. And you hear me talk about Warrens all the time. It's our standing place, and come on out and see me. I want you to look at that place, see the kinds of color and plants and pots and everything that they have. We'll be doing a lot of diagnosis and identification. So maybe your neighbor has a flower and you will know what it is so you can get some well, take a picture of it and bring it to me, or take samples of things in your yard. All those weeds we're worried about. Right now, bring me some samples in a bag. We'll look at those. I would say the doctor's in, but I don't have my doctorate. I guess I could say I'm not a doctor. I just play one on the radio. I don't know if that works or not, but anyway, i'd be glad to diagnose and help you find solutions to those problems out at Warren's next Saturday, right after lunch. All right, time for me to take a break. We'll come back with your calls in just a moment. Hey, welcome back, Welcome back to the guard Line. Good to have you with us. We're going to run out to the phones now and head to Katie and talk to Angela this morning. Hello Angela, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 8: Hi, good morning Skip. A couple of years ago, we adopted a couple healers and LUSK and PD confiscated and I guess they were from the streets or something. I don't know, but my point was that is they eat everything, so I have to be careful what I put down. But last year, and I'm sure we weren't the only ones, we were just infested with just crazy. And I used to go to an old time country that and he's like, put borax down and you know, in a carpet, walk on it for a week, vacuum.
Speaker 9: To thatp You're good.
Speaker 8: So for years every March, I pre treat the house, do a couple of things in the yard, and everything's good. But my problem was, I think my husband keeps talking about diazinon. Isn't that poisonous to the dogs?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're well, you're not gonna You're not gonna find that now, So okay, yeah, okay, I'm not a I am not a veterinarian or anything like.
Speaker 8: That, but no, I just anything in the yard.
Speaker 3: Right. Well, what what I do for my own dogs is we use the product that goes on the dog. There's one that you put on the dogs on their haunches, you know, above the shoulders there that that goes in. And there's another one that you actually like for heartworms and fleas and things. There's pills that you give them periodically, and we use that and that alone is pretty good. But if you have to treat the yard when you're outside, I just hate using basically nuke in the whole place with a pest side, even on organic pests. I just don't generally like to do that. But there are some products that work indoors. I used to spray the growth regulators like pre corps, and you could put those and what happens is if the fleas drop off a dog or lay eggs or whatever, and then they try to develop the larva, they never grow up, and so it's not like a poison to kill the flea. It's more of a shuts them down at whatever life stage and they never go any further. And that works pretty good too, But I talk to your vet on that one. I think that would probably work better. There are some general insecticides that you can put all through the yard that people use and they get down in the thatch and control the fleas that are out there. But I tell you that that stuff you you, the pills you give to the dog, that is the single best thing we've had. That's me.
Speaker 10: I use a too.
Speaker 8: I use av X too on the dogs.
Speaker 11: But the yard is the issue.
Speaker 8: I've got, you know, neighbors with dogs, and I don't know what they do to control with. But about a month ago I bought this diameass gifts, Did I say it right? And a couple of weeks ago, I went to Cornelia's nursery and bought the complete insect killer and sprayed in the yard. And no, I guess it's about a month ago because that's when I used the vans on them too, and it seemed to give them the control. When I bathed one of them yesterday, the blood from her rear end area that came off from our getting eaten with fleas, I just I'm like, Okay, I gotta do something. I also read fear if I put cear chips in my landscaping ground trees, would that do anything?
Speaker 3: Essentially? No, it's a little cedar repels some insects, but then it ages out there and it's not working anymore. So I tell you I would. I would call a good pest control operator and consider having them come out and do something. I know pest bros, the one that I talk about all here here on guard Line. They have stuff they can put in the yard that will last. It puts it downe in the grass and it will last. You can talk to them about your concern jo I got a dog. I don't want anything. You know, it's going to be hurting them and things. But the pest Bros. Is a group that will come out to Katie. They go out that far west and they can they can take care of this for.
Speaker 8: You, all right, So we'll give them a call.
Speaker 11: Yeah, get your brain.
Speaker 8: I'm just beside myself, so.
Speaker 3: Right right, Well, let me give you a phone number just in case you decide to go ahead and call them. It's A two eight one two oh six forty six seventy two eight one six forty six. Okay, thanks a lot. Good luck with getting that under control. That is that is no fun, I know.
Speaker 11: All right, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Bad Well, all I'm talking about the pest Bros. They do all kinds of things. They do Turmite controls that last for all, Like they have an option that lasts for ten years for control protecting your house from termites. That is a long time and it works, and it's put in a place where you know, it's not like they nuke the whole yard. It's it's putting a little trench around the house and it just protects the things going through this soil trying to get into your house like that, Like the termites. They I always always talking about their mosquito bucket system. That's very new very innovative and very low talks, very effective compared to you know, constantly fogging all the time trying to keep them out. You can go to their website. It's the pest bros dot com the pest b r os dot com for all that kind of pest control. And they do cover from Katie all the way across the Bay Town, from up in the Woodlands, all the way down Texas City area. So pretty much you hear about boys just about there, they're covering your area. We're gonna go now out to Cleveland and talk to Ryan. Hey, Ryan, Hello, sir, how are you well? Thank you good? I have a question.
Speaker 5: I was pruning all my fruit trees and I missed an apple tree.
Speaker 12: Is it too late to prune a red delicious?
Speaker 5: Have some water spirit that are going kind of vertical brushes vertical limbs I missed.
Speaker 3: You can prune, Yeah, you can prune any all through the season if you want. It's best to prune at the end of winter. But if you got a water sprout that is gonna be a huge pruning wound if you wait until the end of the year to prune it. So go ahead and prune them now. Uh, and just yeah, that's the thing. Got to keep the light coming into your tree because light helps the plants set fruit buds and blossoms. And yeah, that's it.
Speaker 12: Okay, doty to put anything on the scar at this time with.
Speaker 3: No not at all. Just make a good cut, don't leave a stub, it'll just die. No need to treat the wound at all.
Speaker 12: Okay, thank you, sir. I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks, Ryan, appreciate your call very much. If you've been out talking about Katie there have you've been out to Nelson Nursery and Water Gardens is an outstanding place. I was just looking at some of the new arrivals. I always try to keep up with what are these places, what are they carrying? What they have and stuff? And well, they got a lot of new things that have come in up there, all kinds of beautiful color herbs and vegetables and flowers and shrubs, and the water lilies are in now. So if you got a little water pond, if you're thinking about getting a water feature in your landscape, you need go check them out. Nelson water Gardens and Nursery or Nursery and water Gardens actually is the way we say it to eight one three, nine to one forty seven sixty nine two eight one three nine one four seven sixty nine. They got their Easter egg hunt coming up on Saturday, April nineteenth. I know that's way out there, but I think you ought to prepare for that. Kiddos can come out from nine to ten and enjoy themselves. They have a real nice little thing for the kids out there for the Easter hunt and then the sip and stroll, which is always fun out there Saturday, April twenty fifth from five to seven, so it's a late day. You get out. They have some refreshment there for you. You can walk around, enjoy the sound of water, and just have a good time. Nelson Nursery and Water Gardens. You gotta walk through the store to get into the nursery, and that's a good thing because their house plants are gorgeous. It's some of them beautiful, just gorgeous house plants that they have there, very very nice. And I like that too. Remember we garden inside our house as well. We're gonna head Oh nope, I gotta break dad. Gum it, Matt. We almost made it to you. We're gonna get to you. First thing, when we come right back from a break here, I just want to remind you that next Saturday I will be at Warren Southern Gardens. That is April fifth, from twelve thirty to two thirty, just after lunch, Warren Southern Gardens in Kingwood. All right, time for a break. I'll be right back. All right, we're back. Welcome back to garden Line. Hey, if you'd like to give us a call seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four. We're gonna head out now to Cypress. First thing this segment and talk to Matt. Hey, Matt, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 13: Good morning, Skip, morning Skip. I need your help to identify, excuse me, the insect that is on my sweet sunset banana pepper plant. There, okay, on the on the top of the plant, you can see brown, oh not splotches or whatever.
Speaker 14: Uh.
Speaker 13: And then there are a little white teeny teeny looks like almost.
Speaker 15: Like when you get a scalp problem.
Speaker 13: It's white.
Speaker 16: And when I okay, when I rub my finger on it, uh, it feels like a gauze and it'll go away. What do you think that kind of insect is?
Speaker 3: Well, if you want that most accurate answer. I'm gonna need to see a picture of the splotches and the white, but I think you're talking about cast skins of aphids for the white, the little white flex that look like dander or something that that sounds like cast skins of aphids, which aphids shed their skin just like a snake does. Uh, And so that means you may still have aphids, or maybe benefit insects have cleaned them up and they just skins left behind. But turn the leaves over, look for a little on a pepper. Look for little things that are either kind of a greenish color or yellowish green color, or maybe even darker color than that. If you see that, just blast them off with water, or you can spray them with insecticidal soap. But either way that that generally keeps them in control. Okay, the splotches I need to see. There are a number o the splotches tan or black or do they have yellow rings around them or can you describe it to me? And also the size of the splotches.
Speaker 13: They're about two to three inches long and about an inch wide. Brown on top of the leaf.
Speaker 3: Two to three inches long splotches.
Speaker 15: Yes, boy, but you think it's an aphit of some sort.
Speaker 3: Well not the splotches, the little white cast skins, but two to three inches long is huge, as big as your thumb, bigger than your thumb. Uh yeah, I need I need to see that. Uh you know, grab a leaf, take a picture. I'm gonna put you on hold. If you want to do this, my producer will give you an email send it to me, and if I get it in time today, I'll do it for the end. I'll talk about it for the end of the show.
Speaker 15: Okay, it's dark outside.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's okay, that's okay. Well, you know you do have a flash.
Speaker 16: I do, but I won't know what I'm doing.
Speaker 3: That's the true I know. Yeah, well you know, even even at that, I would when you do go out later when slight and pick up pick a leaf, bring it inside or show me. They just take a picture of the planet and then take a picture of splotch. Make sure it's in good sharp focus.
Speaker 13: All righty, thank you, Skip, you have a wonderful day and remain safe.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll do that, and I'm putting you on hole right now for Jonathan to pick up. You know that reminds me I've been getting emails or people send me their pictures, and I appreciate that because you know, if you're describing something to me and I'm picturing it in my mind, there's a good chance what you're seeing and what I'm picturing are not the same thing. That just is the way things work. So when you take a picture that's in sharp focus and send it to me, I can look at it and then you follow up with a call. I'm not able to answer emails in general, just because there's way too many to be able to. It's all out of whatever do. But I will be happy to send it to me. I'll hold on to them. Then when you call, we can talk about it. But anyway, I want to make a couple of points. Number one, sharp focus. Get If you send me a fuzzy picture, I will give you a fuzzy answer. You want a good, accurate answer, right. Sharp focus is so important and sometimes our cameras get fooled. You know, you hold a leaf up and you take a picture of it, and it focuses on the landscape behind the leaf you're holding up instead of the leaf you're holding up. So check your pictures, make sure they're in sharp focus, because I don't want to waste your time on having to go out and take another picture and stuff so we can get to the bottom of it. The other thing is if you will attach them to the email rather than embed them in the email. So the attached ones, I click on the attachment and that picture opens up and I can zoom in, I can move around. It's easy. The embedded ones. If it's a big picture, I can open that email up as big as my whole computer screen, and I'm still scrolling around trying to find, you know, get the big picture, and to go to the trouble of trying to save it then and open it. I just I'm not able to do that in the time when we're going on the show here. So anyway attach rather than embed. Embedding is just like pasting it into the text. Don't do that. Don't do that. Okay, hopefully that will help. Visiting with Luis from Heirloom Soils yesterday out there at Siena Mulch and we're talking about some of the products and things that they had. They donated a couple of products is giveaways there. I appreciate them doing that. Someone asked me about their veggie and herb mix, and they were saying, no, well, is this just for vegetables. No, no, it's not. It's a good plant bedding. What I'm gonna trying to say, I guess betting plant or garden bed situation. It's a good mix period, and I've even used it in larger containers. I think it works well for that. But the veggie nerb mix, yes, if you have a flower bed, get some of that. It'll do good. They'll grow well in that. You know, it's primarily focused on vegetable and herb gardens. But that's a very very sotle mix. So they also have a leaf mol compost available and you can get it. Let's say you were going to do some compost out nursing yourself. It's a little work to do that, but you can. Or you just wanted a high quality compost put in the soil, get their leaf mold compost. Heirloom Soils will sell you the product in several different ways, making it so convenient for you. So number one, a lot of places you go carry the bags of heirloom soil. So that's one way right there. You can drive out to Porter, Texas where the warrens, rock and mulches, and that's where the heirloom soil products are, and you can pick them up bulk, maybe have them dump it in your pickup or on a trailer, or you can call them and say, hey, deliver me a bulk put on the driveway and we're going to haul it around use it everywhere we need it. Or this is even better, a one cubic yard super sack. It holds a whole cubic yard of you fill in the blank. It could be leaf mold compost, it could be veggie and herb mix. It could be you know, things like hardwood malt or pine bark malt or I mean they sell a lot of things by the supersack. And now you need three sacks minimum for a delivery because to just bring one sack and go across the timbuck, I just the expense of getting it there is too high. So one keep guard supersacks available that way as well. And so many different products from them. We could spend probably half a show just going into all the different products, listing the products that they have and talking about them, just a little bit about each one. Anyway, airloomsoils dot Com go to Airloomsoils dot com. They got a good calculator there on the website, makes it easy for you to know exactly how much that you need. And you can read about each of these products, from their potting soils for containers, to the bed mixes and many many other things that they offer. It's good stuff. They don't they don't sell you junk. When you buy a product from them, it's going to be a quality product. And I know that because I've used them. I've used them myself. That's I love their products that they produce. You're listening to Guardline. Our phone number is seven one three two one two kt r H seven one three two one two kt r H. You can give us a call. We can talk about the things that you are most interested in. As someone was asking me for a product, what was a good natural product that I can use to FOLLI er feed my plants and uh or what is a product that you know I can drench into the soil to feed my plants and things. And we're we're discussing some of the microlife liquids. There's a lot of good microlife liquid products out there on the market available to you. One of them is Ocean Harvest. Ocean Harvest has a blue label, comes in a quart, comes in a gallon. It's a four to two three fertilizer. It's fish based, uh and that is a high quality organic product because it's not going to burn your plants, and it does have a good nutrient content. And you can drench it on the soil, you can sprayed on the foliage. It works good both ways. Ocean Harvest blue label. Now you can also get their seaweed product. That's another good one. It's a green label. There's a lot of products from Microlife. You go to Microlifefertilizer dot com find out about them. This is one of the most wide spread brands in the Greater Houston area and way way beyond that too, by the way, and every time I've tried one, and I've tried a lot of them, they work well. I can't believe the first hour is over. That went fast, all right, Well, we need to kick it into gear for the second hour. We'll be right back for that. Just another reminder if you're up northwest, or actually if you're anywhere and haven't been to Warren Southern Gardens, come on out on next Saturday, that's April fifth, from twelve thirty to two thirty, So grab a sandwich. You can need it there in front of me. If you want, show up at twelve thirty. We're gonna help you with your plant questions. Have a lot of time to eye to eye, talk and visit, and we'll be doing some fun, cool giveaways as well.
Speaker 2: Welcome to kat r h Garden Line with Skip Richard.
Speaker 3: It's crazy.
Speaker 4: Trim just watch him as world so many good things to sup Botasys back again.
Speaker 3: Not a sound glass, gas.
Speaker 17: The sun Beamon.
Speaker 3: Hey, good morning. Welcome to everyone joining us for this hour a garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Richtor, and we're here to help you have a bountiful garden, a beautiful landscape and more fun in the process. That's the important part at the end. You know, gardening is not supposed to be labor. It's not supposed to be what. I have a brown thumb. I can't grow anything I want you. I would like to have your attention for just a minute. I know you're doing something important there, but just just for a second. You don't have a brown thumb. You don't have a brown thumb. People say that some people have a green thumb and therefore everything they do in the garden it just works. And someone has a brown thumb and everything they do they just kill the plant and it doesn't work. You don't have a brown thumb. Now you may have an uninformed thumb. Because people like Granny that could just grow anything in her garden, Well, Granny was just giving plants what they wanted. That's the bottom line. She was giving plants what they wanted. So when you provide a plant the things that it wants, you have got that green thumb looking garden and you can do that. That's why we're here on garden Line to inform your thumb. So bring your thumb to the radio with you and we will talk to your thumb along with you. And it's as simple as that. Plants like light, plants like drainage. Plants need water, plants need nutrients. It needs to be a plant that wants to grow here. It needs to be the season for that plant. There are a lot of things like that, but it's not your thumb that's the problem. But if you want to think that way, well, bring your thumb to garden Line. We'll talk to it and we'll get it informed, and you will see results. It's as simple as that. So just a little encouragement there from garden Line to you. All right, folks, if you'd like to give me a call seven one three two one two kt r H seven one three two one two k t RH just give me a call. We'll talk about the things that are interest to you. If you will see some really cool stuff, some cool plants and things. I always like going by Plants for all seasons. Plants for all seasons is the garden center right there on Tomball Parkway FM two forty nine. If you're heading up toward Tomball exit Luetta, across over Luetta and it's right there, right on two forty nine, easy, easy to find. Plants for all seasons is the kind of place that is going to have the plants that grow here, that do well here, because listen, the floweries have been around it. That's at that location since nineteen seventy three, are just real close to right there. Nineteen seventy three. That's a long time ago. Do the math. I mean that garden center and that family has been gardening in this area and helping gardeners in this area. So when you go in for advice. You bring them a picture, you bring them a plant sample. You just go in and say, hey, I want to create a beautiful container on the outside of the patio there, but I don't know how to do it. Well. They'll take you around, they'll help you find select some plants that are appealing to you, tell you how to combine them. They have some great containers. I've got a couple of great containers I got there, and plants for All Seasons that just are outstanding, and so it's as simple as that. You can go to the website Plants for All Seasons dot com, or you can give them a call two eight one three seven six one six four six. Check out the new indoor store that they have there where they have all kinds of quality tools and seeds and a lot of other fun stuff, including products to help solve problems that you may run across in your landscape. Right there, Plants for All Seasons. I am going to be this coming week. I've got some containers that I need to finish. We planted a combo container last week with some beautiful cascading those petunias, the supertunias. If you haven't ever had supertunias. You need to check them out. They're popular. They're widely available now. But they have smaller flowers, but more and I mean those things will bloom so much you can't hardly see a leaf. It's just wall to wall color on the plant. I don't know how he gets un light and survived, but they do. They sure do supertunias. Anyway, our dogs decided that that soil needed to be explored, and so there's a hole in them and I put the well back in. I was gone yesterday down it's the animals got back at the end of the day, looked at the container and there's holes bigger, and so I'm gonna have to have a word with my Golden Retrievers, Ellie and Tax. They are gardening dogs. And I don't know if you know this, but dogs. You go to the AKC American Kennel Club and you see dogs by groups. You know, there's hunting dogs, there's sporting dogs. You know all the different kinds of groups of dogs that they have. Well, Golden Retrievers are supposed to be a hunting type dog and that they go out and they retrieve, you know, you shoot a duck and they go get the duck and bring it back or whatever. Anyway, that's their name, Golden Retriever. My goldens don't know that they know they're retrievers, but they think they're plant retrievers. When Ellie was a little puppy, I went out and planted some four inch pots of echination in a back bed, and Ellie was there with me. She hangs out with me all the time. And I went inside drink water, came back out a little bit later, and she's sitting there at the back door with a four inch pot of echination that she had brought back to me. She had retrieved it. So I need to call AKC and I'm going to suggest that within the dog groups that they have a gardening dog group a Golden Retriever. Now, I also need to find a good pet trainer. And I don't want them to teach them not to dig in my garden. I want to teach them how to dig up weeds and bring weeds back, how to discern between the two. Wouldn't that be good? If that works out, I will have puppies for sale for two thousand dollars apiece before too long, And I'll let you know here on garden line. I love those dogs, I don't love what they do in my garden, that's for sure. Ellie the Golden Retriever. All right, I have a picture. I need to put this on Facebook. I have a picture. I was out gathering leaves in the final leaf harvest of the year. By the way, I probably know this, but the final leaf harvest of the year is uh, the when the live oaks shed all their leaves and come off and everybody's putting their leaves out to the curb. They're so nice they do that for me, and I go buy and pick the leaves up, bring them home, use them in my gardens. I have lots of places for leavest me maybe talk about sometimes the different ways you use leaves in a garden. But they're in the car with me, looking out the door, having a good time. They're excited about me bringing home leaves because while I think those leaves are going to be put in my garden, they think those leaves are going to be scattered to Kingdom come when they play in them. I have a feeling they may be more right than I am about what actually ends up happening to those leaves in the garden. Well, all right, enough about my dogs, but they are I think some of you can probably relate to some of the issues of having dogs. They're in the garden. Let's take a little break. I'll be back with your calls in just a moment. Seven three two one two, Kat.
Speaker 9: Taking a hatchet.
Speaker 3: Two hour bloated deureaucracy.
Speaker 2: People voted for major gouvernment perform as done is doing its job, and.
Speaker 12: That's what people are going to get. We also know this is just the beginning here.
Speaker 2: It happened on use radio seven forty KRH.
Speaker 18: Didn't stop people from living it up in the nineteen twenties.
Speaker 19: When we're five years into prohibition, the government is starting to go, Okay, this isn't work here.
Speaker 18: I'm at Holmes and on season three of SNAPO, we're taking you back to the nineteen twenties and the tale of Formula six. What you probably don't know about prohibition is that American citizens were dying due to poison, the liquor and all along and unlikely Duo is trying desperately to stop the corruption behind it. Open your free iHeartRadio app, search snafoo and listen.
Speaker 20: Now, hey, it's romone imagine selling your home and getting paid before and after it sells.
Speaker 12: So like getting paid twice, and you can with Orchard. Listen to this.
Speaker 20: Orchard puts cash into your pocket so you can buy your dream home. Ben you're Orchard experts prepare and market your old home, including repairs, showings, even priced boosting upgrades.
Speaker 12: And here's why Orchard's the best.
Speaker 20: When you're home sales for more, which happens nine times out of ten, you get that cash too. It's almost like getting paid twice. That's why Orchard is a smarter, faster, hassle freeway to sell your home. So let's review. Orchard can unlock your cash from your old home to use on your new home. That's pay day number one. You buy your new place and once you're in Orchard sells your old home for top dollar. You get that money too. Boom pay Day number two. Start with your free home valuation at Orchard dot com or call eight four four four two one sell. That's eight four four four two one sell eight four four four two one sell.
Speaker 21: Are you a business owner, CEO or responsible for marketing? If you are, iHeartMedia can help you reach your goals and find new customers. We reach more consumers in your target area than anyone else, and we can give you act says to those potential customers more cost effectively across radio, digital, podcasting, and social. We'd love to show you how iHeartMedia can work for you. Get started today by calling eight four four eight four four iHeart. That's eight four four eight four four iHeart.
Speaker 14: You love your dog like I love George my German shepherd roughr u f f Greens dot com. Use the promo code George. They'll send you a free Jumpstart trial bag. It is a food supplement for your dog and they will love it. Roughgreens dot com promo code George.
Speaker 18: For more information about contest on this station, go to KTRH dot com.
Speaker 3: Slash rules.
Speaker 4: You can daddy, You can smile.
Speaker 3: If you smile, for the man to hell your hand.
Speaker 12: Propel loving, don't forget news, take your heart.
Speaker 11: There you go.
Speaker 3: All right, folks, welcome back to the Garden Line. Glad you're with us today. I got plenty of things we can talk about regarding our gardens and success. If you would like to give me a call seven to one three two one two kt R eight seven one three two one two kt R eight. Now, Nitrovos has a fast release product called Imperial. We've talked about it before. It's the red bag. The red bag when you put it down and it gets wet from rain or irrigation, it dissolves away. It goes into the soil, I mean, and immediately in first few days you're getting a whole lot of take up already going on into your grass plants. By the night Foss Imperial now fifteen five to ten is the three one two ratio that was developed at Langra universities across the South by doing turf research and looking at what what does grass take up? You know, let's take grass plants, take ampart and look at what they take up, and then let's fertilize accordingly. And that that's why we have that three one two ratio today and four one to also by the way, so it's the same formula even though it was created many years ago. It's the same formula and the same old red orange bag and it still works. Of course, that hasn't changed at all. It's a long established, tried and true product night Foss Imperial. So if you want to give a quick boost to your plans or your lawn and you would like to see a quick green up and results. Do that now if you've used night Foss Imperial, wait about six weeks after that before you start your summer slower release. And I'll talk about some of those products a little bit later. But night Foss Imperial is available at places like M and D and Cyprus on Luetta Road, the M and D down in Rosenberg on Avenue I Auspawls Ace up in the Woodlands, just three examples of places that carry nitro foss products. I was talking with some of the folks yesterday at c Animals and they were saying, well, I did I did my Imperial about three weeks ago or something I believe it was, and I said, well, give it another three weeks. Let's you know it's gonna last. I mean, even though it's immediately available, it's not like next week you got to do it again. No, it'll last. And so wait a little bit, but then move into the slow releases. That's important. You're going to find night Fuss and products available at most of your ACE Hardware stores. Really, you know, Ace Hardware Texas carries everything. I mean they do. In fact, if you use that website Ace Hardware Texas. You'll find the stores that are part of our local Houston group here Ace Hardwaretexas dot com and you'll get the map, find the ones near you, and when you go there, you're going to get the products you're looking for for your lawn and garden. You know, I'm talking about fertilizers and talking about pest and weed and disease control. We're talking about tools for your garden as well. You know, we all need quality tools to take care of the things. And then there is the other things that are offered to make your outdoor living so wonderful. The barbecue pits and the strings of lights and all the different stuff that you have in your outdoor settings where you just want to go and enjoy the move. Had some family over and yesterday evening we were outside enjoying just that wonderful ambiance and setting of the back patio with family and that sort of makes expands your home into outdoor living areas.
Speaker 11: And you know that.
Speaker 3: I mean, you have those there, but Ace Hardware is one that can get you all set up for all the things you need for that. And you're going to find Ace Hardware stores like J and RA, Ace up in Porter, Bay City. Ace down on Seventh Street in Bay City, Lake Conroy Ace Hardware they're on Highway one oh five West, and Single Ranch Ace Hardware down on Mason Road in Katie, Texas. There's a few examples of the many Ace Hardware stores that we have. Let's go ahead and head out. Now, we're going to do a little phone call in and head out to talk to Ricky. Hey, Ricky, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 12: Good morning.
Speaker 6: I'm having a problem with the best I can figure out. It's called spur. Grass is covered with it, but your art is covered with it and I can't figure out how to get rid of it.
Speaker 12: Ricky.
Speaker 3: Does it look like a grass or does it have kind of frilly little leaves like parsley or something like that.
Speaker 6: Yes, like parsley or something. And it sticks too, all right, like a little sticker in the kids feet.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I hate that. You're going to need to right away get a post emergent broad leaf weed control. And I know the leaves aren't broad but it is. It is technically a broad leaf plant. It's it's not a grass badly, So get something that you spray on the weeds to kill them. Post emergent, and there are you know, there's a lot of brands out there, and so you go to a good A good what what part of the Houston area.
Speaker 9: Are you in?
Speaker 3: What what region it's in?
Speaker 6: Hemps hemp stay.
Speaker 3: It oh out in Hempstead. Okay, well just go go to one of your garden centers, ace hardware stores, whatever you can get to out there. Uh, and uh find a product for post emergent. Broad Leaf we control, bon Eye makes one called weed Beater.
Speaker 22: Uh.
Speaker 3: There is one from Fertilo called weed free Zone. There's a bunch of them, high yields, got them and all the different brands that are on them are on the shelves or your garden centers and feed stores and things. They're going to have them out there. But Broadleaf post emergent. Mix it according to the label and go out and spot spray it and do it soon so you shut it down before it produces a lot of stickers. You want to you want to do it as early as you can.
Speaker 6: Uh, Okay, don't come in a grainule about two or three acres out of eat that.
Speaker 3: Holy yeah, well on that one. I think what we need to probably be doing this is not like a right now thing because you already have a plants, but putting out a pre emergent, pre emergent product before that thing even germinates, and that that would be something that you would begin to be doing in the fall of next year. So but for right now, for right now, yeah, you just you just need to I mean you can. You can put a fertilizer that has a post emergent in it, But with those little leaves in there, I think I don't think your your control effectiveness is going to be as good as it would be if you if you spray liquid on them. Plus now you would also be buying fertilizer for two acres so or high very much you, So, yeah, I would, I would do the spray. Do you have a little tractor with a boom on the back or anything like that.
Speaker 6: No, but I believe I got a little track, believe I carena sprayer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, that's probably the thing I would do.
Speaker 6: Then for it.
Speaker 3: Good luck, good luck, we got it. We need to be able to turn those kids barefoot this summer, so good luck getting in control of it. You Pat, you take care, appreciate your call. Arburgate Garden Center up in Tumbull is one of those premier places that you just need to go. You know, if I have family come to town or something, it's like, Okay, hop in the car, we're gonna go someplace fun. And even the kids enjoy it because, you know, the landscape, bling and stuff they've got out there all over the place. I mean, you walk through the Arborgate, the gift shops are amazing, and yes there's more than one. And of course the plants. When you go to the Arborgate, you're getting the most outstanding options of plants that you're gonna find any place.
Speaker 23: It really is.
Speaker 3: They carry fruit trees year round for example, not just seasonally out there, herbs, vegetables, beautiful blooming plants, you know, camellias and roses and all the other shrubs and trees that blue. They've got those. If you're looking for things for shade, if you're looking for tropicals, gorgeous house plants as well. Arbigate is the place to go. While you're there, you want to pick up their one two three completely easy system. It's a food that feeds anything with roots. It also has calcium too, by the way, it's an organic food. And then a soil and a compost that works on all your applications. The soil and the compost both contain expanded shale, which really is important in our clay soils here in the Greater Houston area. Very very easy, completely organic, completely easy. And they can deliver that soil and compost to you in bulk too, by the way, So I mean if you want you don't want to buy eight hundred bags, you know, talk to them about the bulk delivery. They can bring it right out to you. And that's through the whole region here. They deliver pretty far with those products as well. Arburgate is on twenty nine to twenty west of Tomball. You'll see it on the left hand side. Look for Treshel Road before or after Arborgate and it's a loop that goes around behind Arburgate and go in that backway so you can use that new parking lot. Very safe, very easy access. It's gonna go out here now to Cypress and talk to Melanie. Hey, Melanie, welcome to guarden Line.
Speaker 11: Good morning, Skip.
Speaker 8: I got two questions for you.
Speaker 24: The one is I'm going to plant a tomato and it's in a pot that I had a tomato in last year. Should I remove the dirt, put new dirt in there, or just refresh it with some composts.
Speaker 3: Just refresh it with some fresh potting mix or veggie and herb mix or something like that. And no, you don't need to remove the old. The only time you would remove the old is if you had a root disease that killed the old one, or if you had nematodes. When you pull the old plant up, you saw those bumps on the roots. Then I would get all that soil out and even kind of sterilize that pot to kill everything before putting fresh soil in. But ninety nine point nine percent of the time you don't need to replace it.
Speaker 23: Oh thank you.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 24: My other big, big problem is we bought a little house up in Atlanto.
Speaker 23: That is like a desert up there.
Speaker 24: They don't get much rain, and this lot nobody's lived there for a long time.
Speaker 23: It is full of stickers.
Speaker 24: I put out pre emergent last fall.
Speaker 23: What can I do now when I'm going to go back up there? And about a week or two, should I use more pre emergent?
Speaker 3: Yes, as soon as possible. And when you say stickers, there's typically out there you're going to have a lot of grass burrs in that area. But there are several plants that have stickers, and so you know, it depends on the specific plant and as the timing. But if you look at my schedule, we're putting out a warm season pre emergence start here in February up there, it would probably be about early to mid march. You would want to get that out right, and so we're we're bumping the end here. You need to get it out quick. But and it needs to be wet. How big of a property is that? Can you irrigate it?
Speaker 13: Well?
Speaker 24: Okay, it doesn't have an irrigation system, but I've got a guy ok there, and I've already left a couple of bags of the pre emergent and ask them to get it out. I was trying to get him to time it with some rain.
Speaker 6: But yeah, to do it for me.
Speaker 11: But that will help to go ahead and do it.
Speaker 25: Again, right.
Speaker 3: If you did it last fall, yes, but don't don't do it twice. You know, within like a month or a week or you know something. He needs to if you put it okay, good, well get it out soon and hopefully that'll shut it down. And then just pray for rain.
Speaker 6: And and if there's still stickers there.
Speaker 24: I remember hearing Randy one time talk about maybe taking a toast sack bur lap sap and sack or something and running it through the yard to pick that yeup.
Speaker 3: Which yes, uh, And I was talking to somebody at CNIMAL yesterday about that idea. They were saying they had grasspers everywhere U And that is for grasspers, not for the little burweed that I was just talking to Ricky about, but for grassbers. You can do that. You get a little you know, bur lap basically what toasacs are, and uh, just drag it around. You just kind of had to figure out how to rig it up, but you just drag it around over there. And I mean those grassbers really stick to it. And that's not going to get everyone out, but they've got a lot of them out. And the more and the more you fertilize and water, the worse the graspper, I mean, the less grassper problems you have. They like a very drowdy, sandy, poor soil, and as you get to water and the fertilizing and things, they don't thrive in that, like your lawn will thrive in that so just a few tips there. I think you're on the right track though, Melanie.
Speaker 24: All right, we'll try and see what happens, all right, and good for that for that drought area. What which grass that nobody up there Harvey has any grass in their yard?
Speaker 9: You know?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, and it you're going to be an infrequent visitor, is that right out there?
Speaker 19: Yes?
Speaker 3: I am, okay, you know, bermuda grass is about as tough as you're going to get when you look at droughts and issues like that, and you can do the bermuda. It looks best when you water and when you mow it a lot, but it's a survivor. The Saint Augustine needs water in order to survive and do well. So hey, the only thing you've heard me say that when I give advice, people have to bring me half their produce. In this case, I just need some barbecue from Cooper's. If you'll bring that back, I will call it even. Hey, thanks for the called, Melodie, I got to run. I could save you five.
Speaker 13: All right.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to garden Line. Good to have you with us. Hey, if you would like to ask a gardening question seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four while Ago I was talking about my night Fiss Imperial, and I said that, you know, after about six weeks after you've done that, you would want to put on a slower release. And that product from night Fross is called Nitrofos super Turf. Now it's easy to spot. It's a silver bag. The only thing I know that's in a silver bag. And the garden centers and the Ace Hardware stores and the you know, feed stores and all the places you go for these things.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 3: Silver Superturf is a nineteen four ten nineteen four ten, those are the three numbers on the bag. But it releases slowly, so that nineteen percent nitrogen is going to be released out over about of sixteen weeks or four months. So it gives you a long, gradual feed, which is exactly what you want for good healthy grass. It's not all top growth momo mo momo. It also helps develop roots. When you overfertilize, you create problems in the summertime. Super Turf's designed to fertilize gradually for you. Now you're going to find superturf at places like the Ace Hardware and Sinkle Ranch and also Katie. Ace Hardware too. By the way, on Penoak, you're going to find it at Ace Hardware CITYO Memorial Drive as well. Lots of places carry Night to Foss products. Let's head out now to Houston and talk to Jim. Hey, Jim, welcome to Guardline.
Speaker 23: Good morning, Good morning. I've decided to have the aeration and top dressing done for my yard this year. I have a number of areas where the grass has really died back, and I have open patches everything from two inches to six inches to a foot in some areas, and I'm wondering if it would be better before the top dressing is done to lay some sand into those open areas to help to facilitate the grass running. Is that something that I would want to do? Or just let the top dressing do that for me.
Speaker 3: Well, if the areas are low or kind of need filling in, or you know you got roots you're trying to bring the soil up so the roots don't stick out and things like that, then then that bringing in soil or sand is advisable. There's nothing wrong with putting some sand in there. If you can find a loamy top soil, that's that's even better. But if you whatever, if you need, if you need to fill in and stuff, I would go ahead and do that before you do the top dressing.
Speaker 13: And so is it?
Speaker 6: Okay?
Speaker 3: Is your soil a clay? Did you say I missed that?
Speaker 23: If you did, Jim, well, I'm in West Houston. So my base issue is I have three large oak trees and we don't get rain anymore. So that's my biggest issue is the ground has just become dry and compacted, even though we put water on it on a regular basis, and so we're just struggling with getting the Saint Augustine to stand up in the in the drought conditions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I understand that. Well, the sand is not gonna help that because you know, water run drive through sand doesn't last. That's why tops so will probably be better for you if you're looking to do that. When you say when you say west or you inside the beltway or inside belt Way eight, I mean we're.
Speaker 23: Actually uh it ten and six is the is the closest intersection for us. So we're between ok yeah and eight?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, got got it? Good? All right?
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 3: BB turf Pros is a great uh top dress and aeration company they do a lot of different services like that. I don't know if you have someone in mind already. If you do, that's fine. If you do, not, provide you a phone number for them.
Speaker 23: If you're worries, we have actually we're using one of your one of your records. Okay, okay, good from the online so yeah, okay, sounds good. Yep, well good Lune, thanks much.
Speaker 6: I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jim, thanks a lot. And we'll pray for rain this year because we get that. Grasp on that. That's an important thing, all right, you take care? Yeah.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: For those of you up in Willis, Growers Outlet is a place you need to go see if you haven't been there, and I bet a lot of you have it and you need to. And when I say in Willis, I actually mean also in Conroe, in New Waverley and Lake Conroe, all the region up there, even the woodlands driving up. It's worth the trip up to Growers Outlet. The website is the thing you need to write down because that's where everything you're going to want to know is, and that is Growers Outlet in Willis dot com. That's easy to remember. What's the website for Growers Outlet in Willis. Yes, that's kindly who's on first Growers Outlet in Willis dot com. Now, when you go on the website, you're going to see all the plants, say carry, and they list what's in stock, and they list the price of them as well, which is not normally done by garden centers, but they do that. They've got veggies and bedding plants and perennials and beautiful firm baskets and beautify hanging baskets of things like verbina or petunias and those kinds of things. Of course, they have fruit and they've got a their complete garden center. You can even get your microlife and night Foss and Medina products there as well. Growers Outlet in Willis dot com. Go check it out. Let's go to West Houston. Now we're going to talk to Steve Hey. Steve, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 12: Yester.
Speaker 11: Hello, how are you this morning?
Speaker 3: I'm well, thank you.
Speaker 11: I have a question that I was listed when you were talking to the lady about pre emergence. I think she was somewhere north of here that I'm talking about here in Houston. I've put out Barry Kay last fall okay, and I also did as night and but I it is growing, and I've seen a lot of clover, and I wonder and have I missed us about putting some more pre emerging out now?
Speaker 3: You're late, but it's all there's still plenty more weed germination that can occur. In fact, when you do it early on time in February, we recommend you do it maybe again sixty days later because that extends that protection on end of the summer because we have weeds germinating all through but a lot of a lot of the spring weeds have been germinating now for a while. Just looking here, you're in west East, so the yeah, you've been had weeds germinating on it in March here. But I've go ahead and get it down water. It makes you watered in because it doesn't start working until you water it in.
Speaker 11: Okay, it's maybe late, but it won't hurt anything. Doing something is better than that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's the case. Something is better than I.
Speaker 11: Found that a sack of bawnine weed beater. Should I should I use that at this time?
Speaker 3: That is a I need to look at the label on that one. That's I think it's called weed beater complete when it's in the sick. Is that correct?
Speaker 12: I think so?
Speaker 3: Yes, Okay, I need to look at the label on it. The weed beaters are generally a post emergent product, but on the complete I bet that's not the case. But I need you know, I can't pull it up right this minute. But if it's a pre emergent, now still the time you can get it down. If it's a post emergent, you gotta wet the leaves so it sticks to the leaves. But again, I can't allow vibrate on that until I take a look at the label on that particular one. There's several weed beaters out there on the market, and if.
Speaker 11: It says complete, it is a free emergent. Is that correct? Just this wee beater plus it's a post emergent.
Speaker 3: Well, hang on just a second, let me look at that. I'm sorry, what particular kinds of weeds are you? Are you dealing with in your line?
Speaker 11: Mainly clover? Of course, I've still got that horse herb, but that's a different story. We talked about that.
Speaker 12: Some months ago.
Speaker 11: Mainly it's clover and with the little pink flowers.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, hang on just a second. I just pulled up pulled up the label here right and take a look at it. Uh So if entra zone that is going to help a little bit with these types of things. Yeah. The pro diamine, that's a pre emergent. Yeah, that's primarily a pre emergent. Uh that you're doing on those So you get you you get it on the ground watered in. But uh, I mean to go on, I'm gonna I'm gonna have to I'm gonna have to run there telling me it's we're about to break for a commercial. Steve.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 3: If you I'm gonna put you on hold. If you want to hang on, we can continue this when we come back. Be right back folks.
Speaker 1: Today.
Speaker 3: Alrighty, welcome back guardline. Good heavy with us this morning. We're gonna go back out to Steve. Hey, Steve, let's continue that question line of questioning. Where where were we?
Speaker 11: One last question on the pre emergent. Uh, I think what you said, do not put out the barricade and the bow lead, that would be correct, correct, And the last question for you, I have a rose bed and I was I did not put any preer berge. And that's ray It hurt the roses.
Speaker 10: I weeded it and then put rose compost, and then pine bark malchs and then I weeded and there's still I mean, what is there anything else I can do?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 3: The most important thing you do in your rose bed is pine bark, malt or any any kind of malts, no matter what kind of malt, but malt.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 3: That's going to prevent the weed seeds from getting started. And occasionally you stir the mult up a little bit, put some fresh on top to keep it blocking all the sunlight. Now, if you've got weeds that are perennials, like a bermuda grass comes crawling in there, well, then you're gonna have to treat those weeds. But the most important thing in a rose bed is not try to use a pre emergent on it inside a bed, but to use your mult as your primary control.
Speaker 9: Great, thank you.
Speaker 11: And you say iron bark is the preferred because.
Speaker 3: I have some I no, I don't. I don't have a preferred on it. Pine bark is fine. It's attractive. People like the look of that so that you can use it for that reason. But a mulch is a mulch when you know whether it's shredded hardwood or double ground black mult or whatever. It's all you really want. Well, the first thing you want out of a mulch is for it to block the sunlight and stop weed seeds. Of course, you want it to hold moisture. You want it to moderate soil temperatures and so on. But yeah, any good mult you like the look of is a good mulch to use.
Speaker 11: Thank you very much for your time.
Speaker 3: Thank you ansty thanks a lot. You take care appreciate the call seven one three two one two k t r H. You want to give us a call? Uh sweet green from nitrofoss. I was telling someone yesterday down seeing a mulch and we were done, my sweet green and they were putting it out and on one of the things they said, is it smells so good? And yes it does. It's a molasses based product. Organic gardeners have known long time molasses stimulates microbial activity in the soil. It does. It's a carbon chain, it's a sugar kind of thing, and that by stimulating the microbes, you are going to improve the zone around the roots in that way. In addition to the fact that you're getting eleven percent nitrogen in the product to put down. Now you just watered in, it dissolves, way goes down in the soil and it does its work. Sweet Green from night Foss is available a variety of places, plants for all seasons. On two forty nine, you know, right there add Luetta. Right at Luetta in two forty nine you go out to RCW Nursery. They carry night to FoST products, DND feed and tomol. There you go, there's another one that carries night Foss products like the Sweet Green, so easy to find in the Greater Houston area. That smells good. I jokingly say, you put it in the back of your car, you're going to want to make another trip around Loop six ten just because it smells so good. Well, I don't think that there's anything on earth that can make me want to make another trip around or even one trip around Loop six ten, But I guess it's better than driving through the gallery maybe. Anyway, that's that's a fact. Someone was asking me about the top dressing and they're up. They're kind of up north and west of the Houston in the Houston area, and green Pro is the place that I send people for their green Pro is a expert in providing compost top dressing and also a core aeration of the soil. They know how to do that. They've got the equipment that does it right now. You can run equipment. You can have them dump the lead more compost or whatever in your yards. Have somebody do it. But it's a lot of work. You got to clean up the equipment and get it back to go get it in the first place. It's a mess, but it's easy when you just call green Pro, they come in, they do the work. They know how to do that. When you do compost top dressing and corroation, you're feeding the soil biology. It really helps our clay soils to do that, to alleviate compaction, to improve the soil's internal drainage, to help it capture more water when it does rain and soak in because it water tends to run right off the top of a clay. If your lawn is recovering from things like take all or brown patch or gingerbugs or drought or whatever, correation in compost top dressing is good.
Speaker 23: Now.
Speaker 3: If you got a thatch problem because you just overfertilized, maybe when you put compost top dressing down and then you core aerate. Core A rate means I don't push a hole in the soil open. I pop a plug of soil out and drop it on the surface. I always say it looks like a little mini dog convention happened out there, but that soil melts away into the thatch and it helps speed decomposition at that. There you go. Okay, a lot of technical details. Bottom line is do it it works. They do about a forty five mile area from Magnolia so Spring, Cyprus or Woodlands Conroe, Willis Magnolia over to Montgomery and you know, down down to it ten. So basically it's the Interstate forty five, Interstate ten Northwest quadrant. Greenprotexas dot com, greenpro Texas dot com. If you want to give them a call eight three to two, three five one zero zero three to two. Let's head out now to Clute, Clute, and we're going to talk to Trevor. Hey, Trevor, welcome to regardline.
Speaker 26: Wanting, sir, I got a question about some plants. I'm gonna have them come and put in my yard. I'm gonna have Moon Valley come and plant Golden Goddess bamboo. Okay, and I'd like to know how much should I water? They told me I should water them three times a week, But how much are we talking about?
Speaker 13: Do I know?
Speaker 12: Like when the soil is saturated soggy?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know when you say water so many times a week. It kind of depends on how much water you put down and what you're wanting to do with bamboo. Bamboo is grass. So imagine if you plugged some Saint Augustine out in your line and you're trying to get it to get its root system out and down. You're trying to get it to deal with the heat and the drought and all kinds of things. You water pretty frequently initially to help it get established, and then you ought to be able to back off and not water as often. Your goal with that bamboo, though, is to get it as healthy as you can, because I don't know if they told you this, but the first year bamboo basically just sits there. The second year it begins to grow pretty good, and then the third year you're really in business with the bamboo having the vigor. So treat it like grass. That means keep the soil moderately moist. So if you water three times a week. You're probably only going to put about a maybe a half inch or so of water down when you water, and that'll be enough. You can, you can. It just depends on the temperature, you know. And like the last month we've had, you wouldn't water three times a week, and when you get into July, you know you're gonna need to water more. But as we go month by month, it's getting more of a root system, and you ought to be able to get by with twice a week and then eventually once a week. It's fine. Fertilize it like you would have grass, because it is a grass and your goal is to get it healthy and growing. So that that would be my advice on that one.
Speaker 9: Well, thank you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I guess on enjoy.
Speaker 9: I guess I owe you some bamboo shoots.
Speaker 23: Is that correct?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well fishing poles. People don't make bamboo fishing poles anymore. So if you can just clean it up and get me give me a couple of I need to do some deep sea fishing for marling. So I hope you got a real big strong bamboo plant.
Speaker 12: All right, sounds good.
Speaker 3: I don't know where that came from, Maankes a lot, Trevor, Oh boy, you're listening to Guardline. Our phone number here is seven one three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two k t.
Speaker 23: R H.
Speaker 3: Well RCW Nurseries at the corner of Beltway eight and Tomball Parkway. Go there, go look at the roses. They're gorgeous. Now, go look at the boogain villas. Unbelievably even have the standards like Boogain Villas with a trunk r CW nurseries dot com. When you go there, you're gonna find the products you need, brown Stuff before green Stuff, Nitrofoss, Microlife, turf Star, much much more. Really there. It's a favorite of rosarians. And I would say it's a place you go for your trees because they grow their own trees up in Plannersville. They grow the kinds that want to grow here. They grow them in a way that is gonna help that be a successful tree. And they also have the three sixty tree stabilizers on hand, so get one of those when you when you go get your tree. But whatever you do, just go out and check it out. Lots of beautiful color, lots of beautiful plants, and it's just a great place. It's a shop RCW nurseries dot com. You need to go see those folks. Alrighty music means stop talking, go get a cup of coffee. I think I will do just both of them. I want to remind you that next Saturday, from twelve thirty to two thirty, right after lunch, i'llbeit Warrens Southern Gardens in Kingwood. All of you in that region, I hope you'll come by. I love I love to meet the people that listen to the Garden Line and also you know here on the on the radio. I've been just a few minutes with you because I got to move on to another call or other things. But when we do these appearances, it's a time to sit eye to eye and talk and also take pictures. We down at Cinamulch the other day or yesterday, bring me some samples, bring me pictures. Will help solve the problems and help your place look good. And I'll be giving away some really cool things as well. I'll tell you more about that later, but really cool gift and giveaways.
Speaker 12: Kat r H.
Speaker 2: Garden Line does not necessarily endorse any of the products or services advertised on this program. Welcome to kat r h Garden Line with Skip Rictory.
Speaker 3: Just watch him as.
Speaker 4: Us so many things to septas.
Speaker 13: SI.
Speaker 3: All right, folks, let's do this again. Welcome back to the garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Richter. We're here to help you have a bountiful garden of beautiful landscape, and I like to say more fun in the process, because I think that is a very important part of gardening. Gardening is a wonderful, relaxing opportunity to be out in nature. Well you know, the research palls up a mild high on all the benefits of being out in nature to our minds and certainly the exercise for our bodies, the fresh air and all of that. So you shouldn't have to go out there or be afraid to go out in the garden for what you might see. Meaning, ugh, I think I killed another plant. We can help you with that. We can help you with that, but don't be afraid. I'm officially giving you permission to kill plants. Okay, now what does that mean? That just means don't sweat it. Sometimes things don't work. Planes die. One of the best horticultures in the country. Guy named jac Ralston North Carolina. He said, to be a good horticulturist, you got to kill a lot of plants. And that's true. That's how we learn. We learn from our mistakes and the mistakes of others. But the case of a garden, it either involves a very ugly desi or a plant dying. When we talk about the mistakes of others. I have a talk I do called seem like a good idea at the time. It's a presentation I do for groups and stuff, and basically it's just a bunch of pictures of things that someone created or did, and at the time it made sense. And then you see kind of that it wasn't a good idea, and it's it's fun. We're having fun. But it give yourself, give you some permission. You can you can always redo it. Nothing in the garden has to be permanent. All right, there you go. Well, Peerscapes is our preferred garden line provider here and the reason is because of the work they do. Puerscapes does stunningly beautiful work. If you will just do and if you hear nothing else I'm saying about them, just hear this. Peerscapes dot Com peerscapes dot com. Look at the work they do outstanding landscape lighting. Do you have a drainage problem in an area, they can do the subservice drain and they can fix it so plants will thrive there instead of drowned there. They also do a quarterly maintenance. They can come out and spruce up the beds, you know, put some refresh mulch in, replace the color when it needs that, check the irrigation system, do any trimming that's part of the quarterly maintenance program. If you have them do that. Maybe you want to create a beautiful outdoor, hardescape area or a hard scape pathway in the garden, they can do all of that. You just got to go to the website pierscapes dot com. There you will see examples of what they can do. Now the phone number two eight one three seven fifty sixty two eight one three seven zero five zero six zero.
Speaker 12: That works.
Speaker 3: If you've got some more furniture in your patio or outdoor area, or really any kind of a metal out there in that area, Houston powder coders can make it look new. Do you don't have to get out there with spray paint and have their streaks and going down or with a brush or whatever. And what about the rust? How do you deal with that and try to shut that down. Houston Powder Cutter knows how to do their thing, and then they do. You can take a picture of your furniture and they do. By the way, it's not just furniture. It's wrought iron, it's cast iron, it's aluminum, patio furniture, it's any kind of metal out there. They're going to be able to put a beautiful coating on it. But they also do finishing and repair. So for example, maybe a little a couple of well wells need to be made on it, you know, to put it back together. Maybe it needs a new sling fabric or vinyl straps on some of the furniture. Maybe the old hardware bolts and things are rusty. They'll replace those with stainless steel. They'll put new plastic feed and endcaps on things. Whatever you have, they know how to do it. Take a picture, go to email it to sales at Houstoncoders dot com. Sales at Houstoncoders dot com. They'll give you a quick quote. They do pick up and delivery in the Greater Houston area and you can follow them on social media to see examples of their work. Houston Powdercoders dot com, Houston powder coads dot com two eight one six seven, six thirty eight eighty eight. Let's set up to college station. Now we're going to talk to Andy. Hey, Andy, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 12: Hey, thanks, skip appreciate it.
Speaker 5: We bought this house last summer and then I had called and asked you a couple of questions on them, on killing weeds and different stuff, and you'd ask me if there was straight Saint Augustine or if it was Saint Augustine and Bermuda or this or that, and it was actually Saint Augustine, Bermuda and a lot of wheats.
Speaker 12: So I got a lot of wheats.
Speaker 5: Okay, what I want to do, I think, and it needs pressure to level the whole thing off. Anyway, This Saint Augustine isn't really great. So what I was thinking of doing is seating Bermuda all through it, okay, including dirt out. I didn't know if there's what's the exact process to do, and if there's a like a brand or strain of Bermuda that would be best out here or to work with Saint Augustine.
Speaker 3: Well, that's good. Both of those are legit grasses and they each have their pros and cons, so just to you know, just to go quick on them. Basically, the Saint Augustine is going to be more shade tolerant than the Bermuda. Uh, and it's a it's a soft grass that you know, run around barefoot and rolling around the grass and stuff. It's a nice grass for that. The Bermuda grass is more resilient to drought and wear and tear if you do a lot of it. That's why you don't see Saint Augustine football fields. You see Bermuda football fields. But the Bermuda also though, you get chiggers in it and you go rolling around in the grass and uh, you know, it's kind of itchy. And so that that is one thing I'm not fond of Bermuda for the other thing is Bermuda grass. In order to look its best, you got to mow it frequently. And it's a great turf grass. Nothing's wrong with the turf grass, I mean in terms of just being outstanding, but you need to mow it regularly. That's why golf courses look so good in football fields and things. They are mowing those things very very frequently, so you can go either way. That and zoys is another good grass. You ought to consider that one as well. It's an outstanding grass. If you go you're up there in College Station, the Aggie Turf has a website. It's Aggie Turf dot t a m U dot ed u Aggie Turf dot t a m U dot ed u dot. At the bottom left, it'll be the turf varieties and or turf types and they'll be saying it'll list them all. If you click on Bermuda, it'll give you a long list of bermuda seed varieties. Bermuda is one of the grasses we can plant from seed. It's not easy to do because you're dealing with a little tiny seedlings there and you get a gully washer rain all the seeds off to one spot, but you can do it. And all the varieties that they would recommend are listed there. You can go shopping for one of those. And being in the area you're in, you go up to producer's co op. They're going to have some grass seeds up there probably for you.
Speaker 5: Quick question, do I do the dirt first and then the seed or the soil or the seed and then the soil.
Speaker 3: You got different approaches. One would be to get out there and spray and kill all the weeds and kill all the Saint Augustine, and you're going to kill some of the bermuda with it anyway, because when you seed, your bermuda is going to be a different bermuda than what's growing in your lawn right now, and so there may be a little difference in rate of growth or coloring or something. So it might be good just to get rid of everything and then start over with your seed.
Speaker 5: Oh okay, okay, So I do fit the dirt down first to level it off, and then.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, get the dirt and all that first, and then plant your seeds. Go ahead and get that done pretty soon. Bermuda is going to be really interested in growing in April, so start that work, uh, that soil work, so that you can be ready to go. Hey, I'm up against the heartbreak. But thanks for calling. Call back Andy anytime you like. Appreciate that.
Speaker 12: Thanks, Get five folks.
Speaker 3: M all right, we're going to run. I'll be right back. Folks. Alrighty, welcome back to guard Line. Good to have you with us today. The phone number you will need this if you would like to call seven one three two one two k t r H seven one three two and two k t r H. Just you know, talking about the weeds and things, but weeds and lawns. Weeds and lawns, that's a topic of the day. But if that's what you want to know about, then Carl, we'll talk about that. That's good. Just a reminder that our warm season weeds have been germinating now for a couple of several weeks.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 3: And depending on where you live. I realize we've got people listening in Galveston and Huntsville and Louisiana on down to Corpus, so you know, all those areas are a little different on the timing. But bottom line is you got warm seasoned weeds in all those areas. Germany right now. You got to get the barricade down if you're gonna prevent them. If you're going to prevent them, okay, you put it down, you water it in. It forms a barricade. The weed tries to sprout, the weed seed, can't you never see the weed. It's working invisibly.
Speaker 13: Now.
Speaker 3: The alternative after the weed sprout is to come back with a post emergent and try to kill them, but that brings a whole bunch of other issues, like damaging other desirable plants, or it gets hot and you're damaging your grass with some of those products. So it's easiest just to prevent them in the first place, and barricade does that. Now you're gonna find barricade and other nitrofost products it places like Fisher Shardbrow in Southomore down in Pasadena, or the Fisher Shardburn La Port and Broadway are the one. There's three of them down there. Actually there's another one. Let me just tell you about a four melt. Bellevue has a fishures on FM thirty one eighty and Baytown has one. See it's on twelve hundred Alexander down there in the Baytown area. Many places to get night foster products here in the Greater Houston area. If you are into native plants, or if you want to be, you know, like you've heard about natives, you'd like to try some different native plants, You're not going to find a better place than Buchanans native plants. They're specialists in that. Now, don't think that that's all they have. They have got every kind of plant you can imagine that you find it in any garden center. I mean, they have a wide variety, and they have things that you don't find anywhere else. They are extremely good at bringing in things that work, that are new and that are cool. And part of the new cool are those natives that we just haven't had on the market before, and Buchanans gets them and they bring them in. And they have natives for shade, they have natives for sunny areas. They certainly do. If you want natives that attract butterflies or that attract hummingbirds. If you're looking for natives that are fly powering vines or flowering tree. Do you see what I'm saying, they have them there. If you're in the Houston area and you want a native that is from Houston that he grows right there at your agree there before we lived there, right, and they've got that. If you want just a general Texas natives from outside the Houston area. But they do real well here. They have those. Have I made my point Eleventh Street in the Heights. Buchanansplants dot Com. Go to the website, sign up for the newsletter. Awesome, awesome newsletter and good information on there, but most of all, just get out there and enjoy a trip out to Bugannon's plants. It's a wonderful place. We're going to go down now to Angleton and we're going to talk to Bonnie next. Hey, Bonnie, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 11: Good morning, sir. How are you this morning?
Speaker 3: I'm doing well, thank you.
Speaker 13: I have a.
Speaker 25: Mimosa tree and it's a small ones. It's probably half to three quarters of an inch in diameter, and last year it got really long and whispy, and I cut it back about a third in early March, and now it is sprouting from the very top and the very bottom. And I was wondering which one I should leave, or I should leave both of them.
Speaker 11: The bottom one actually looks like a little tree. The top one is just like, you know, little branches coming out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, esthetically, what do you want it to look like? If the one that's already there looks good to you, then leave it and cut the ones at the bottom off. If not, you can cut that trunk off at the bottom and you'll have a multi stemmed trunk coming out from the base. After that mimosa is a lanky plant. It just naturally grows that way. People often will take them and they'll they may even use like a tree stabilizer three sixty tree stableized are to hold them in place so that trunk goes upright, uh and then begins to branch out up at the top. But there's not a right way to trim those they it's just the growth habit of the plant and what you aesthetically want to look at, what your goal is for it?
Speaker 11: All right, well, I thank you very much.
Speaker 9: Sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So if you leave that trunk, you can straighten it up, put a three sixty stabilizer on it, get it pointed the way you want, and then just let those branches up there grow and it'll form a head or a top to the plant. And that's that's certainly an option. But thank you binding for the call that those are plants, that old Southern plant been around a long time, and it has its you know, they have their detractors. But it is a beautiful blooming plant, that's for sure.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 25: Okay, So if this was your mimosa, what would you do, sir?
Speaker 3: Well, if I could see it, I could tell you that, but I from what I'm hearing from you. Unless that existing trunk is just really not good, I would try straightening it up and going with the trunk you already have because you got a head start there. But again I need to see it to be sure.
Speaker 9: But thank you.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much for the call. Appreciate it. Call back you anytime you're listening to garden Line our phone number seven one three two one two kat rh give me a call. We'll talk about the things that are of interest to you. Hey, it's time. If you love doing your gardening stuff organically, then you definitely If you don't already know about it, you need to know about Microlife the green bag six two four Microlife six two four of the green bag that is the lawn fertilizer, number one selling organic fertilizer in Houston. It doesn't burn your lawn, doesn't burn other plants. And by the way, I use it for things other than the one, because it's good for a lot of different things. You can use it on. Put it on Azelia's although Microlife has an acid loving plant food as well, flowers, back digetable. I've use it in vegetable gardens all number of times, tree shrubs, roses containers. I mean, it's not going to burn. It's a good fertilizer that works. It contains billions of beneficial microbes. And you know, you can buy it by the jug or you can buy it by the bag. I usually buy it by the bag. You know, bulk is always more economical. But either way, it's a good product and it's widely available. Now, when you do that, consider also getting their concentrated compost in the bag. It's a Humus type price in a purple bag. Okay, hum mates plus. So consider that one hu mats plus that is not put on to make your grass all green and grow fast. It's put on to improve soil and it's got some nutrient in it, but it's put on to improve your soil quality and texture because that's what humus does, the final decomposition. So when you take composts and you let it break down further and further, you're heading toward Humus and hum mats plus concentrated composts in the bag. So green bag plus purple bag. Think of it that way for microlife easy to find all over town. You're listening to the guardline. We're here to help you have success. In your gardens. If you'd like to give us a call, I'll be happy to visit with you about the things that might be of interest to you. I was checking out in Chanted Gardens. That that is the garden center that is on the Katie Folscher side of Richmond. So if you're in Richmond and you're heading up toward Katie Folscher, the actual road there on is an intersection there, it's FM three point fifty nine. Had to stop and think there for a second. I would suggest you first just go to the website and that way you see where they are, you find information out, phone numbers, whatever you need. Let's see the website is the name of the garden center, Enchanted Gardens Richmond dot com. In Chanted Gardens Richmond dot com mitteran since nineteen ninety five. And I'm telling you the folks there, they're enthusiastic, they're helpful, and no matter what you need, it's there. And if you want to do some creating on your own, they can help you with that. Like maybe I'm one of their nice metal wire hanging baskets that's cocoa core lined that you fill up and you plant all kinds of things. It could be one that hangs in the shade of shade leving plants. It could be something that's in the sun with blooming, trailing plants coming out of it. I mean, the possibilities are endless. And they know about the brown stuff before green stuff because they carry microlife and nitrofoss and Nelson plant food and Medina soil products. You know, you hear me talk about Nature's Way and heirloom soil. They carry products from both of those. They're at intended gardens in Richmond. They're open Monday through Saturday eight to five today ten am to four pm. So when I quit talking on garden line, they open the doors. They're at intended gardens, not because I quit talking on guardenline, but that just happens to fall to the same time. I'll promise you this, if you go with friends, family, take them out there. It is a wonderful place to visit. It's really nice, really nice place. Let's uh, let's head out to Conroe now, and we're going to talk to Dan.
Speaker 12: Hello.
Speaker 3: Dan, Hi, I.
Speaker 7: Met you at your willis Ace Hardware several weeks ago, and oh good, yeah, purchase. I purchased barricade and I put barricade on my Saint Augustine lawn and then I followed it up with the the red uh fimus I believes fertilized.
Speaker 12: Anyway, Yes, I have a lot.
Speaker 7: I still have a lot of clover coming up in my yard and I'm wanting I was hearing you say you could spray it with something. Is there something I can spray that with? Now go back and try to get rid.
Speaker 12: Of the clothes.
Speaker 3: Yes, uh, yes, so what what what if it is clover? There are other plants that look like clover. There's oxalas, and there's medic and there's others. So I if it's coming up now, it's probably not clover. Clover is a cool season weed, and the cool season weeds are flowering and dying. That's what they're going to be doing the next month.
Speaker 11: So on some of this.
Speaker 3: Ah, Okay, that sounds like an oxalis to me. You need a post emergent you post emergent broad leaf weed control product. Okay. So you're there in the you know, the conro area. You got some places that you can go that you know are going to be kind of what you're looking for. But I would I would suggest that you get a spray in this case, and mix it in water and put that spray out and make sure you get it on the plants. It always helps to also purchase a surfactant. A surfactant is basically an additive to the spray that makes it stick to slick leaves and not roll off, so you get better results because of that. Okay, now you are not too far away from.
Speaker 12: Gosh.
Speaker 3: I just I just drew a blank my head Growers outlet. That's what I was trying to say. Yeah, yeah, thank you, thanks for helping me through this. Yeah. Yeah, they're going to have you know, there's product like Bow Night has one called weed Beater Ultra that I would suggest, Furlong's Weed Free Zone, there's one from high Yield, there's one from Monoey. All these manufacturers have some version of a broad leaf post emergent weed control. But get it done now. The sooner you apply it, the better. Mix it according to the label. Don't make it too strong, follow the label, and do it soon. If it's gonna rain, when you're gonna spray within the next let's say six hours, I would wait to spray until after the rain.
Speaker 7: Okay, give me the night considered.
Speaker 11: Give me.
Speaker 12: Up.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what. You know, what I'm at a I'm at a heartbreak. Hang on, Dan, I'm gonna have to answer that on the other side. Pots all right, take off your shoes. This is sock hop times. There we go. Well, little Bill Haley in the comments going there. Hey, welcome back to Gardline. Good to have you with us. We're going to go back to Conro now and continue our conversation with Diane. So, Diane, you were asking about broadly options, and I'm just giving you a few here, you know, because there's there's a lot of them out there, but weed beater ultra uh or there are several weed beater products, but the spray is not the granule for what for what you're needing to do. Don't do the complete bag of granules.
Speaker 11: Do do ultra questions?
Speaker 7: Or I bought I bought a I bought a multi purpose sprayer. Can I just put it in that and use a multi proper sprayer for that?
Speaker 3: What do you mean by multipurpose sprayer?
Speaker 7: Well, it's a big plastic holds a gallon.
Speaker 6: It's a plastic bottle.
Speaker 12: With a pump on it.
Speaker 7: I oh, and I've never done this before, and I bought the sprayer when I met.
Speaker 13: You that day.
Speaker 7: The man that was there for the fertilizer, he had told me I could get the strong vinegar to kill the weeds in a garden area that I'm not.
Speaker 11: Going to and I want to keep this all good.
Speaker 7: Well, I bought this sprayer and when I opened it up and I read the directions inside, it says, don't use vinegar in it.
Speaker 23: What kind of sprayer can I use vinegar in?
Speaker 3: Oh boy?
Speaker 13: Uh?
Speaker 3: Basically, something with plastic parts is not going to be as affected. The problem with vinegar being an acid, it can it has a corrosive effect on it can have a corrosive effect on some metals and stuff. So yeah, that people do vinegar and sprayers, but then they just wash them out real good. But meaning put some fresh water in there and run it through, and run it through, and run it through. Make sure you completely rents out those lines. A couple of times with it and you'll be all right. So back back to the back to the product. First of all, that sprayer you got to stoop down to spray the ground, right.
Speaker 12: Well, I don't think so.
Speaker 6: It's got a long handle on it.
Speaker 3: Oh, okay, okay, I was picturing the wrong kind of thing.
Speaker 7: I mean, I don't I think.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, there are sprayers with plastic parts, and that may be. That may be a better way to go on it. But anyway, beside that, bone eyed weed beater is what you're looking for. Weed beater ultra is one of the weed beaters. Ultra is fine, except as it heats up, it can damage your grass. So spray early in the morning and get it done in the next couple of weeks before the weather starts getting too hot.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 3: Then fertiloon weed free zone, furloan treesons another one. But listen, you go back in your ACE hardware store there and and just tell them you need a broad leaf post emergent WEEKI or they're gonna have several options for you. And some of them may say something like trimech on the label. That's another description of a group of three ingredients specifically, but many. I need to make a fact sheet on this because it may it would make it so much easier for folks to follow. But I'll see if I can get that done. But he anyway, good, look, I just hit.
Speaker 7: Those spots where I'm seeing the spray is directly on those wes Okay.
Speaker 3: On those weads directly. You don't need to drench them. Just when you dampen the leaf, that's it. If you spray more and it drips off your waist and spray all right. Thank you, Dan Lost, I'm sorry I cut you off there before you I came back on that.
Speaker 25: Uh.
Speaker 3: Ace Hardware stores are good, you know she was talking about the one up there in the Willis area. There's a lot of at Ace harder Sturch. If you go to Acehardware Texas dot com, Acehardware Texas dot com. You can find the stores in our local Houston group that we talked about here on guard Line. And yes, there is the one up there in aceh If you are done in League City, there is a League City Ace Hardware if you're over in Victoria. First of all, thanks for listening to guard Line. You got the one on Navora Street there all seasons. ACE Hardware is the one that we were just talking about with Diane up in the Willis area, and then out in Kingwood we got Ka and m Ace Hardware, Don and Wharton, Wharton Feed and Ace Hardware. And I'm just listening to you. There's dozens of them, dozens of them, So go check out ACE Hardware Texas dot com. Any kind of product you hear me talking about needen, I would first start with your East Hardware store locally. You're probably gonna find it there. You're listening to Gardenline. I'm your host, Skip Richter, and we're here to help you have success in your garden. That's what we're looking for. And when it comes to summertime, our lawns really wake up and start to grow when it gets hot. Saint Augustine doesn't care about our heat. It does care about lack of moisture in the soil. And to the degree that nutrients are lacking, growth will be lacking. So what do you do Well, you don't overfertilize with nitrogen because it's already wanting to grow, but you give it nitrogen because it supports growth. The reason alon is green is because of nitrogen and magnesium primarily, and the reason that a lawn is growing is because of nitrogen. So Nitropos has created a product called Nitropos Superturf. It's the Silver Bag Silver Bag now it's a nineteen four ten fertilizer that's four one two ratio, which is excellent for turf. By releasing the nitrogen slowly, super turf gradually feeds your lawn over four months. And if it released it fast, you would mow more because you've overdone the nitrogen right. But it doesn't do that. It takes the It takes the thinking and doing work and does it for you. You put on super turf now and you enjoy it for four months, a beautiful law and don't have to worry about it again. Really, you know, I mean you can. Some people are putting it on this month, some next month, and they're going to carry them all the way really into the when it's time to do fall fertilization. But anyway, superterf from night Foss available places like M and D Beamer Uh, it's in a Sagemont area. If you go to the Colar Lake area. You got the M and D on Bay Area Boulevard done and Alvin Stanton shopping Center on North Taylor. Well, these are all places where you can find nitro foss products. Let me see give you the number again if you'd like to call. We've where are we now? Well, we got a little over an hour left here on guardline this morning.
Speaker 19: Uh.
Speaker 3: The phone number is seven one three two one two k t r H. Seven one three two one two k t r H.
Speaker 12: Gim me call.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about the things that you're interested in now if you're down south and east. In fact, you don't even have to be down there. Moss Nursery is a place you need to go. I don't care where you live. You're listening. Maybe you've done in Victoria. Drive up here. I know it's a drive, but this is called horticultural tourism. We got a lot of great nurseries here you need to come see. But Moss Nursery is done in Seabrook and it is so unique. Eight acres on eight acres, and just you wander and every time you turn a corner, you know there's First of all, there's pottery.
Speaker 11: Ever.
Speaker 3: They have the biggest pottery selection i've seen. It's not just another garden center. This is a seventy year old family operated garden center that is everything you need for your landscape, your garden and your interior homescape too. You know we're talking about house plans. Go check out the house Plant Greenhouse. It is awesome and Before you walk into it, you have to walk past these giant staghorn ferns, and you know, staghorn ferns are really cool, and you buy little ones from them to get started. Are you can buy these monsters that are hanging by chains from the trees that are just stunning. But that's how they do things there. They have bones eye plants that they get in Over there, they have you know, little starters, probably fifty to one hundred different kinds of bones eye baby plants, and it's a great way to get started in a cool hobby like that. Do you want blooming trees like Chinese fringe? Are the deciduous magnolias that just bloomed recently? Red buds? They've got those. Whatever you're looking for, and if you're looking for color for your landscape beds, everything from melyssam to zenias A to z it's all there at Moss Nursery on todd Brook Toddville Road in c Brook, Texas. Moss Nursery dot com. It's spelled m aa s Nursery dot com. Time for me to take a quick break. When we come back, Bridget and Don you'll be our first two up. Texas all right, every done, and then I gotta throw a little bit of yoldling music. And I'm not gonna subject you to too much here, but don Walser, how many of you saw the movie Secondhand Lions. This is the theme song from that movie. If you haven't seen that movie, you need to see it. It's pretty cool. That's right, and he gets to yodling here on us. So where we're gonna move on? Listen. Spring Creek Feed Center is your hometown garden center for those of you up in the Magnolia area on FM twenty nine seventy eight. This is near Grand Parkway Highway to forty nine, kind of north and a little west of Tomball itself. They have a wide range of fertilizers that I talk about, from Nelson turf Stars to Microlife to nitrofoss. They carry products from pretty much all the manufacturers you hear me suggesting people use for the things they're looking for right now. They've got half whiskey barrels and whole whiskey barrel planners. They're really cool. From the Jack Daniels whiskey barrel planners. That's kind of cool. You'll find some plants there as well. They carry those and again all the products you need with friendly service in Magnolia on FM twenty nine to seventy eight Spring Creek Feed Center. They have special options that can also allow you, for example, maybe they don't have something you need to special order, talk to them about that. They'll work with you on that. They do a really really good job of that. They carry products. You know, I was talking to somebody about Medina the other day. Medina products. There's so many of them. I spin Hole show just talking about Medina. But the has to grow six twelve six. I was telling them you need to get that because you mix it in water, you drench it onto the plants when you plant them. Now you can use it as a foldier feed. But this is planning spring planting season, so I'm focusing on it in this way. Has to grow six twelve six plant food hiphosphorus. You drench it on the plant to help that root system as it begins to go and take off. Do it a week later, do it a week after that, like three times a week or two apart, and that will give your plant the best chance to hit the ground run. And again it's from Medina, widely available, easy to find at most of the police places that you hear me talk about sponsoring this show, garden center, speed stores, that kind of thing, Ace hardware stores. You're going to find Medina products. Let's head out to Spring and we're going to talk to Bridget. Hey, bridget Welcome to Gardline.
Speaker 27: Good morning, Good morning.
Speaker 12: I have a quick question.
Speaker 27: My son asked me why his Saint Augustine was making these tufts of extra long blades when he's cutting it. It's all the same time he's using nitrofoss schedule, he's using the barricade.
Speaker 23: It's not weeds.
Speaker 27: I don't think it's a sprinkler issue. It's just he's got these tufts of extra long Saint Augustine going on any thoughts on that, And it's not the whole grass.
Speaker 3: It's just yeah that when you say it is in using the word tuffs, that's kind of curious. I'm not sure I've seen what you're talking about. Uh, if he could take a picture up close, maybe one of the yard, kind of from a little bit of a distance showing the tufts and then up close showing them, showing that grass that's in the touts, it may be another kind of grass run in there. There are some grasses that look a lot like Saint Augustine, the weeds that grow in Saint Augustine, So that bridget. That's the only way I can give you a good answer on.
Speaker 27: It, because I'll get down there and look a little closer.
Speaker 3: Then yeah, let me put you let me well, I'm going to put you on hold, and if you want, you can you can get an email from a producer and then send me a photo and I'll be happy to tackle that. Okay, okay, thank you, all right, thank you, thank you very much. Appreciate you waiting. Uh yeah, that's very unusual.
Speaker 23: Uh.
Speaker 3: The tree hugger sprinkler or something I talk about all the time, and listen, I wish they would call it the plant hugger sprinkler because it's good for trees, but it's good for shrubs, it's good for roses, it's good for that with steria vine that you planted the woody, with steria vine you plant in the ark. It goes around a plant and you decide how much of an air you want to water. You turn it on a little bit in little weather, a little area like seven inches across or fifteen inches across. You turn it on more and you can water a tree. It's been in a ground five years and it's big, and you're rescuing it from summer one hundred degrees with no rain for four weeks or whatever. Tree huggers are very useful. Hang them in the garage. You're gonna want them, You're gonna use them over and over again. You can go to tree Hugger Sprinklers dot com. Tree Hugger Sprinklers dot com. They absolutely it's just one of the coolest new products we've seen.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 3: If you're an independent nursery or garden center, hardware store, feedstore and you want to stock the products, contact the good people at tree Hugger Sprinklers and they'll help you get set up to do that because these are things people are gonna want. Tree Hugger Sprinklers dot Com right now. You can find them at Southwest Fertilizers, Sinkle Ranch ase kDas K and m A S and A Tascasita fulshere Ace and Channing Forest and Gardens done in in the Richmond Rosenberg area, Kingwood Garden Center and Warren's out there in Kingwood rcw Arborgate Nelson water Garden and nursery and Katie d and D Feeding tom All. I mean, I'm getting tired reading all these places. League City Feed and then I just talked about Spring Creek Feed Center. They have them there too. We're going to go back to the phones now and talk to Don in Sugarland. Hey Don, good morning.
Speaker 28: Skip.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 28: I'm in a part of Fort Bean County that has the citrus counker disease and a couple of years ago they took out one of my grapefruit trees, which.
Speaker 9: Are happy about.
Speaker 28: But anyway, they said there's no cure for that stuff and the only thing they recommend was copper based panja sides springing about once a week for I guess until eternity. Uh is there any update on that or is there anything you run?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 3: No, there's not.
Speaker 12: It's just kill.
Speaker 3: It is well. Uh, you know, they just think of it as you got a crowd of people and then you got someone that's uh you know, coffin I E bowl or whatever going through the crowd.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 3: It's it's gonna infact a lot of people. And that's why theyre that's why they do kill the trees and and they need to be killed because it it if the more of a stronghold it sets up, the more people can't grow centrius there in that area, and so getting it out is the only way. There's a little insect that spreads. There's citrus canker and then there's citrus greening, and both of them are reasons why you can't buy citrus in Montgomery and Fort Bend and Harris and several other counties in this area and carry them outside the county because they are trying to quarantine it and shut it down.
Speaker 28: Will the copper base on just saw it do anytime.
Speaker 3: It was the canker that one disease it will help suppress because copper is a is uh is an effective product against bacteria and against u some fungi as well too, by the way, but it's not gonna cure that. It's not going to cure the plant. I would have to go look on citrus greening on the schedule, you got it. I don't think copper is a good long term solution at all. And here's why. The more you spray copper, at some point you're putting too much copper around that plant. And there that is an issue that's you just don't want to get into but I would have to the stems stems as well and the branches. There is a I think the website is citrus greening dot com. Did they tell you about that website any chance?
Speaker 9: Was the counter at one point?
Speaker 3: I'm sorry? Yeah, yeah, yeah, okay. I keep switching between the two because they're both here and they're both an equal and equal problem. There is information on citrus canker on the Texas Department of Agriculture website. University of Florida Extension has a really good publication on citrus canker, and I would I would go to one of those two sources for more information on how to how to deal with it. I don't think, all right, sir, they told us there was any cure for it, so yeah, whether no, there's not a curing it, And the sooner you get rid of a plant that has it, the better chance you have of being able to have citrus in the future.
Speaker 28: Yeah, okay, okay, I appreciate that.
Speaker 12: I want to get your tight time, all right.
Speaker 3: So sorry to be the bearer of bad news. That's a bad one, that's for sure. Okay, Well, you're listening to Guardline and we Unfortunately, we have some issues we have to deal with here like that that citrus canker and citrus greening are just they ruin your day, that's for sure. As you're in Houston down and kind of southwest area, I know was a hotspot for a while. Bridge would come in through there and all the way down into Fort ben County. There's some hotspots and it's a shame. It's a shame, but it is what it is. Unfortunately. Well, let's see Warren Southern Gardens and Kingwood Garden Center out in the Kingwood area are both open seven days a week, so you can go by today. Warren's is on North Park, Kingwood is on Stone Hollow. I'm going to be at Warren Southern Gardens next Saturday from twelve thirty to two thirty, so grab you some lunch or bring a sandwich and eat in front of me. We'll talk. Well, first of all, you're going to enjoy shop in the garden center. They just have an outstanding selection of all kinds of things. I mean really really nice selection, whether it's flowers or fruit, or vegetables or you name it. Beautiful containers. I help you with the continent designing a container planting too. It's just they're both great garden centers to go to. I love the gift shop there at a Kingwood Garden Center. It's really outstanding. And they have a great plant selection too. Again. Warren Southern Gardens on North Park, Kingwood Garden Center on Stone Hollow serving that whole area, Kingwood Humble, A Taska Seed, a Porter Valley Ranch, cany. All you folks have some outstanding garden centers, and you're gonna find the stuff, the brown stuff before green stuff, Microlife, Nitrofoss, turf Star, Hairloom soils, Nelson plant Food, see what I'm talking about. They even have the Microlife and Nelson plant Food filling stations. So you buy Microlife or Nelson and a jar. When the jar's empty, just go over to Warren's and Kigwood and you just pull a little handle and refill your jar. It's economical and you don't throw away plastic. All right, Well, that our's in the books, which means we got one more hour of garden line today. If you would like to call ahead and get on the boards with it, Oh, well you can be the first step seven one three two one two KTRH. I'm gonna go grab some coffee. I'm coming a little bit incoherent here so to see if I can clean things up with another cup of coffee. I hope you haven't a good Sunday morning.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Katie r h Garden Line with Skip Richter's.
Speaker 17: Smell the crazy heres gas can trim you just watch him as well, Boss.
Speaker 4: Many good things to seep baas guys like gas again you Saba sid gas and gas.
Speaker 17: The sun bemon of tweets.
Speaker 3: Stop all right, folks, thanks for joining us here on Guardline this morning. We've got an hour left, so here we go. You got plenty to talk about. Some people be calling in on various topics we got that are very timely and pertinent right now. Number is seven one three two on two ktr H seven one three two and two k tige Asmyte is a product that is mined in Utah and contains trace minerals. And there seems to be confusion when I talk to folks about what's a trade. What does trace mineral mean? Does that mean?
Speaker 23: You know?
Speaker 12: What does it mean?
Speaker 3: And well, what it means is that you need a little bit of it. But it's essential. So just because you need a little, it's still essential. So so how does that work? Okay, well, let's let's do this. Let's take boron for example. Now, how many times have you seen a fertilizer that says with boron on it it doesn't it doesn't. You don't see that. And so what happens is if you could go to your yard and take every molecule of boron out of the ground, grass couldn't grow, roses, couldn't grow vegetables. I mean, you can't grow plants without boron. And that's one of many. You know, there's like twenty roughly twenty different elements that plants need in order to survive. Now they don't need a lot of them, but they need them. They're essential. And that's azamite. That's what we're talking about. That's why we put it down. We put other regular fertilizers down because they have nitrogen makes the grass grow right and makes it green and go. But that grass in order to grow in the bank account of your soil, you have to have the trace minerals also called micronutrients that support that growth. You can go to Azamite Texas dot com Azomite Texas dot Com find out more information about it. But I'll tell you this just when you hear me talk about retailers, garden center, speed stores, nurseries, Southwest Fertilizers, Ace Hardware stores, those places, you're probably going to find asmite wherever you go. I mean, it's really widespread here in this area. Does well. Nitrophos is. Super turf is the fertilizer that is for summertime, and you in summertime begins. We'll just say that now if you've used the fast green up, wait six weeks after that to put down your super turf. If you haven't used the fast green up, put the super turf down now. You can do it now if you want. It's going to give you four weeks or four months of feeding and it releases gradually. And you can walk into a store, look across the store and see the super Turf bags because they're all silver. It so easy. Only thing like that, it's really easy to find them. Went out, where do you get it? Well, go down to Ace Hardware or Lake hard excuse me, in Clute on Dixie Drive. You go to Branham to Fisher's Hardware, plants and things excuse me. Fishers in Baytown, plants and things in Brenham. There we go, crossing them up. Just examples of the many places that carry Knight to Foster products here in the greater Houston area. All right, here, we're going to go now to Donna in Beaumont. Hello, Donna, Welcome to Garden Line.
Speaker 23: Hi, Skip, I just wanted to call and let your listeners know that hummingbirds are here.
Speaker 6: I was outside yesterday and I saw one on my azalea.
Speaker 11: Plants, and oh my gosh.
Speaker 23: I thought I didn't realize they would be here so early.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that's that. No, they do come early sometimes. If a few people told me they've seen them over the wintertime, one hanging around that didn't just decide to hang out that. I appreciate you letting me know that it's time to get your hummingbird feeders.
Speaker 11: I guess right, yes, sir.
Speaker 6: I guess so. I was very surprised when I saw it. I had never seen one on the azaleas before, but there it was.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well that's good. That's good. Well, thanks for letting me know that. I appreciate that. Okay, good good report you got. Thank you you as well. Yeah, So that means that it's time to head over to Wallbirds and get that feeder that I keep talking about for hummingbirds. It's my favorite hummingbird feeder. It is, and it it's just why do I like it? Well, you know hummingbird feeders, there's a lot of them out there on the market. You put your gater and the humming birds come. This is called the high perch hummingbird feeder. The top covers red and it's leakproof and proof. It's got a little ant moat so ants can't get in there to the nectar. But it's flat and so you can see the birds better. You know, with a hummingbird feeder, they go around the other side and you don't see them. But this one it's better viewing and it works easy. It's a nice, little beautiful feeder. But they have them at wild Birds Unlimited. Wild Birds Unlimited is the place really to get anything you need for birds, including advice. Those folks know what they're talking about. You can get the wild Birds Unlimited eliminator feeder. That's a tall one. My favorite feeder I have for birds eat and because it keeps the squirrels out and it really works. Trust me. Trust me, you should hear the way the birds talk when the language they use are the birds the squirrels they can't get in and the language they use. Now, now's the time for nesting. Super blend at Wabird's unlimited and it's set up to be four birds when they're building the nests, laying the young and raising the young. Very important to have calcium in the diet, high protein in the diet. It even has mealworms in it, which it's like crack for birds. They love that stuff.
Speaker 13: You go to.
Speaker 3: Walbird's store near you. There's six of them. One in clear Lake, there's one in Kingwood, one in Paarland, one in Cyprus. There's two in Houston area here, one on Memorial Drive on the west side, one on bel Air down South. Just go to WBU dot com forward slash Houston to find the Wallbirds store that's near you. And we're going to go out to Kingwood now and talk to Bill. Hey, Bill, welcome to guarden Line.
Speaker 9: Good for you.
Speaker 13: Skip.
Speaker 1: I have a I'm trying to raise a bunch of telphens here. Well, my family we make a thing called sweet held a penis, So I'm.
Speaker 23: Trying to raise it a whole bunch of different Okay.
Speaker 1: So the problem, however, it is, is that in the raised bed that I've got all the Callapenia plants in there, at night whenever I don't I'm not out there with my head light, there's a butt, there's a worm or something, and I find what it is that is eating the leaves off of the baby Callafenia pepper plants or actually, okay, I'm betting the stems in there, and so it's at night and I don't know what's going on. I was wondering if you had.
Speaker 3: A pigeons, well, cutting the stems sounds like a caterpillar that we'll get down at the bottom and play Paul Bunion with your plants and just cut them off like it did with a saw or something. Uh, that's a possibility. The eating the leaves could be a beetle or a caterpillar. There's nocturnal versions of both. I would suggest spring plants with spin. No said, now, that's an ingredient comes in many brand names. But it's s P I N like spin, and then the letter O and then sad like sad spin, oh sad, and spray them really good and that will control both caterpillars and beetles, and I think that will shut it down. But you need to get that done pretty quick where they do too much damage, because those young plants, as you know, can't support that much damage without really being set back.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I've read the book on Mexico pepper and they say that peer get damaged when they're young, they will hardly recover completely.
Speaker 3: Okay, yep, that's right. Well, good luck with that out there in Kingwood. Just bring me half your peppers if this works, that's all I ask. Thanks Bill. All right, We're going to go now to Paarland and talk to Jim. Hey Jim, welcome to Guardland.
Speaker 6: Good morning, Skip. I have a problem with my grass since you had took an email with a couple of pictures.
Speaker 9: I had some more, but I.
Speaker 3: See it.
Speaker 6: It would only let me send two pictures.
Speaker 3: That's okay, I see all I need to see good photos. That is Zoysio grass, right, yes, sir, uh huh. I think you have take all root rot in it. From the photos it looks exactly like take all root Rot. If you go online to garden skip, Yeah, go to gardening with Skip dot com. I talk about take all and when to deal with it and what to use. It's all on there. Uh and you're right now. I would probably get some Spagnum Pete moss bales. They are like three cubic foot compacted square bail plastic wrapped things. You put one bail out per thousand square feet and it only is going to cover at about a third of an inch deep and watered in. That'll help for now. If you spray a product that's an iron supple and a zinc supplement on it, and there's some on the market. Fertilom has one that will help the grass now too, I tell it, Bill, Jim. I want to spend a little more time with you on this, and I have to go to break. Just hang on. I'll pick you right back up when we come back.
Speaker 21: To stop the flow of inaccurate information, a twenty five percent increase in listening to our news and talk is being added to your day.
Speaker 9: Check in even more often.
Speaker 3: Will possibly increase it or not, we'll see how it is.
Speaker 2: Use radio seven forty ktrh.
Speaker 12: Eighteen twenties.
Speaker 19: When we're five years into prohibition, the government is starting to go Okay, this doesn't work here.
Speaker 18: I'm at Helms and on season three of Snapoo, we're taking you back to the nineteen twenties and the tale of Formula six. What you probably don't know about prohibition is that American citizens we're dying due to poison the liquor and all along and unlikely Duo is trying desperately to stop the corruption behind it. Open your free iHeartRadio app, search snaffoo and listen now.
Speaker 29: Hey Houston Garner's it's Chad down Home Backyard Gardening on YouTube. You love a good deal, listen up. Living Earth has you covered every Friday and Saturday in March only you get ten percent off the retail price on your entire order. That's right, Molch, compost soils, you name it, ten percent off just for saying that you heard it here. Living Earth has been keeping Houston green for forty years and with twelve locations across town, there's always a Living Earth near you. So don't forget Fridays and Saturdays in March only, mention the garden line and get your deal. See y'all at Living Earth.
Speaker 18: A finuciary has the regulatory obligation to put your best interest first.
Speaker 3: Trajan Wealth is.
Speaker 12: A financial fiduciary for your investments.
Speaker 3: Call today. That's three four, six, three seven, one thirty three thirty advisory services offered to Trajan Wealth else and SEC Registered investment advisor.
Speaker 22: How far would you go to enjoy a refreshing pond about your backyard? I'm Anita and I'm Peter from Nelson Nursery and Water Gardens. Pons are water gardens that feed your soul.
Speaker 3: Designed to fit your backyard and budget.
Speaker 22: Low maintenance plans.
Speaker 3: And stunning coy and goldfish.
Speaker 22: Cons transform backyards. We make them easy design installation. We can build yours or help you do it yourself. Start at Nelson Nursery and Water Gardens. You can find us at Nelsonwatergardens dot com.
Speaker 3: Hey, it's room.
Speaker 20: Imagine selling your home and getting paid before and after it sells. It's like getting paid twice and you can with Orchard.
Speaker 12: Listen to this.
Speaker 20: Orchard puts cash into your pocket so you can buy your dream home. Then your orchard experts prepare and market your old home, including repairs, showings, even price boosting upgrades. And here's why Orchard's the best. When you're home sales for more, which happens nine times out of ten. You get that cash too. It's almost like getting paid twice. That's why Orchard is a smarter, faster, hassle freeway to sell your home. So let's review Orchard can unlock your cash from your old home to use on your new home. That's paid eight number one. You buy your new place and once you're in Orchard sells your old home for top dollar. You get that money too. Boom eight a number two. Start with your free home valuation at Orchard dot com or call eight four four for two one sell. That's eight four four for two one sell, eight four four for two one sell.
Speaker 6: And from that band.
Speaker 3: A band sound beating brand. Alrighty, we're back on the garden line here. I am gonna run straight back out to Jim. We were in the middle of an important topic that I think a lot of you are going to want to know about. So, Jim, we were discussing the take on. What I'm ninety nine percent sure is take all root Rot in your zoysio grass and on my schedule, which for everybody else listening is at gardening with Skip dot com. It's a free download Take All root Rot. We have two treatment times, primarily that we're focusing on it. One of them, perhaps the most important one, is in I October and then a repeat treatment in November. Going into the cool season. We can still make a treatment. Now it's not as effective, but you got to do something. So what I had suggested for Jim is get some spagnum peat moss, break it up, put it in a wheelbarrow. You make little piles around the yard and then turn a I use a soil rake and turn it upside down where the times are pointing upward, and it's like you're playing shuffleboard. You know, you're scooting it back and forth and spreading it out as thin as you can. It's about a third of an inch, so three cubic three point eight cubic foot bail. That's three point eight cubic feet covers about a thousand square feet and then watered in. That's for now. Spraying the foliage with a product that is going to contain micro nutrients. And Fertilom has one in a gray bottle. Ferdlum does and I can't remember the name of it, but it's going to contain iron and zinc and it's from Fertilom, So that would you can find that the disease kills roots, so by doing the folier spray, you'll notice yellowing when take All is attacking a lawn, and it's because the roots can't get the plants can't get ironed because the roots are being killed. So it's kind of like you're using an IV to go around you know, when you can't feed the patient food, you're using the IV to get around it. And that is another step in it. The other thing that I wanted to mention is when you spray, if you look on the schedule, there are several products on there. The best ingredient is a zoxy stroban and it's on my schedule. And I think, Jim, you said you had the schedule.
Speaker 6: Right, Yes, sir, I'm looking at it.
Speaker 3: Okay, good. A zoxy Stroban's the first one listed. There used to be some other forms of azoxystrobin. The only one I'm aware of on the market right now is in a product and I'm going to give you the name of it. It's one single product, so you don't have options to my knowledge, and it's Scot's disease. These ex Scot's disease e X capital E capital X, and I would do that now and watered in because that that disease product can go in the grass through the roots as well. Now it's better to use it before the problem is as extensive as it is becoming your lawn because there's not a lot of roots there to take it up. But you go ahead and use it now. In the meantime, do extra care, you know, normally I say water once or twice a week. Just realize that grass and them it's roots. So when it gets hot and the sun is shining, it's gonna be more drowdy than a grass that does have roots would be. So even though the soils a little on the dry side, it's struggling. And so keep it moist adequately moist, and then the peat moss, the using the micro nutrient products spray that you do. You're gonna have to do the spray for that uh and then then in fall, be ready to do it again in October and again in November, and you can turn it around. You may see some continued decline just because this disease has moved pretty aggressively into your lawn.
Speaker 6: Yes, sir, I've got some areas on behind forum. I'm looking worse in still good shape. Is there anything I need to do to keep it from getting into that area?
Speaker 3: I would I would do the disease X on that, and I think you should be good there. Disease. It's because diseases in general implants are much easier to prevent than to cure, and so don't wait until it looks real bad when you know, just go ahead and do it. Be sure. Okay, okay, hey, thanks for calling it that when I got your email. That's an important one. And I know a lot of people have take on don't even know they have it. So thanks, you appreciate the call. All right, We're gonna go now to Paarland and talk to Howard. Hey, Howard, welcome to guarden Line.
Speaker 6: Hey, Skip, thank you for taking my call. I sank you in some pictures this morning, some broccoli that was growing. Yes, I've never grown broccoli, so I'm not sure when to harvest it or how to harvest it. And I put up ten across the head of the broccoli or the point of reference.
Speaker 3: I got your pictures, and here's the thing on the broccoli. You can eat broccoli at any point, you know, once you see the little quarter size heads pop up, you could eat that if you want it. We generally let it get as big as it's going to get. But when you see those buds really swelling and the broccoli heads starting to loosen a little bit, you need to get it picked because it's going to be blooming soon. So anytime along the way, I generally let them reach whatever full size is going to be. And that varies with varieties and whatnot, but you just harvest them at that time and that that's your best bet. Now, you also had an amarillis flower in your pictures. That's the red trump like blooms. Those are amarillas, and they're a great one to play.
Speaker 6: I salvage that. I found it kind of growing, like in a pile of leaves and six and I salvaged it and planted it, and it's been doing quite well. I've had it now for several years.
Speaker 3: It's a it's a good one. It's a good, dependable bulb.
Speaker 6: And then the other question was, I have I planted a couple of avocado pits. Now one of them is growing into a nice tree. There's another tree right next to it in the same pot, and I'm not really sure what kind of tree it is. And those are the ones I send you that they have small leaves. They're just coming out now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's kind of hard for me to tell on that. In some ways looks like a young pekan tree coming up in the pot, which squirrels will do that. They'll put a pecan seed in our a kernel or nut in the ground. It kind of looks like that, but we needed to get bigger for me to be able to identify it for sure.
Speaker 6: All right, I'll wait look at a little figure, all right, Skip one question. After I harvest the brocoli, do I uproot the plants or are they going to continue growing additional stocks?
Speaker 3: You will get some smaller site shots coming off of it, so just be patient. We're getting a little late in the season, but I think you'll still get another harvest of much much smaller little florents florretts. Okay, I thank you, you bet. I appreciate that very much. Anti ros and Porium. It's a go to place for all kinds of plants. I know it says roses, and they are roses, but there's so much more. You go there and you find things like natives and herbs and flowers and fruit trees, and houseplants for example. They've got a lot of fresh new arrivals coming in. They have their two new exclusively Antique Rose and Porium Bread roses, and that's Glass Slipper and Cupid's Sweetheart. You just need to go out there and see them. Some good events coming up, by the way, definitely want to know about these. The buy one, get one rose sale is this weekend, which means it ends today. You buy one rose, you get the next rows thirty percent off. It's valid for two gallon roses only, and it excludes the in person mystery roses, but any any of the roses that are in two gallon there thirty percent off the second one when you buy the first April, second, and ninth, or the Children's in the Gardens workshops coming up. Tickets are now live on the website. They start at ten am, ages three through ten. There's a Lady Beetle release come up. Here's what you need to do. You need to go to Antique Roseanmporium dot com and look at their events Antique Rowsimporium dot com. There's a lot of good events coming up. Is a Rose and Herb conference on April twenty six. You got to get registered for it. Now you just need to go get your tickets, get registered and all of that, because this is the place you don't want to miss and there's not a better time than March and April's see Antique Rose and Porum. I mean, on the drive out there, the blue bonnets are singing to you. Is gorgeous out there on the hillsides and he grows up for him. You need to go check them out. We're going to go talk to Bill now in Spring, Texas. Hey, Bill, Welcome to garden.
Speaker 12: Line the Morning Ship.
Speaker 30: I have a question about dogwood trees. Want to plant one, but I don't know if the varieties that are available. I'm planning on going to RCW Nursery and Buchanans.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those will both have them. Well, I think they don't, haven't checked lately, but what they have is going to be a variety that grows here. The white dogwoods, I've noticed, seem to perform better than the pink ones. Now that's not I mean I see pink dogwoods around and they're surviving just fine. But I think the white ones are a little better. If you if you know a wooded area that has dogwoods, in it. And this is just kind of a little side comment. Getting some soil right around the base of a dogwood digner the underneath the leaves, and just get a little bit of soil and put that in the planting hole where you're planting. And there are some things in the soil that are fungi that are beneficial for dogwoods, and it helps with establishment. You don't have to have that to plant a dogwood, but I've just noticed that that seems to help a little bit. So get a good one watered in well. If it's got circling roots, if you can kind of unwind them, that's good. If not, you need to cut them. But get them in a spot where they get morning sun and they get some afternoon shade. That's how they grow along the roadsides. And then also make sure the soil has lots of compost, the organic matter in it and good drainage. Make them think they're living in a forest by doing that to the soil. All right, thank you, skip, yes, sir, thank you. I appreciate your call very much. Jungle land is the product from nitrofoss that is for containers. There's two jungle lands. There's the indoor with water saving crystals. I've talked about that before. The jungle n outdoor is called flour and vegetable potting soil. You put it in a container that has good drain coatrols in it, and it will drain away the excess water while holding enough to keep the plant going and not having to water so much. Because it does hold water well, I bet it drains the access. That's kind of the combo there we're looking for. You're gonna find nitrofoss products at places like a Allspas Ace in the Woodlands. You're gonna find an ACE hardware, Cidium Memorial. You go to d and Defeed and Tumble, they carry nitrofoss products. And the MD Beamer on Sagemont another good place to find nitrofoss products. I'm gonna have to take a little break here for the news when I come back. Krista and Richmond, thanks for being patient. If you can be a little more patient, you'll be my first up when we come back from our break. All right, folks, welcome back to Gardenline. Get ahead with us. We got a bunch of calls to jump into here. Just one second. Nelson Plant Food Bruce's Brew is their quickly available fertilizer from the folks at now some part of the turf Star line. Now, it's not just like a regular immediate release fast release. It does release initially some good nutrient levels for your plants, but it also drags that release out a little bit so you get a continued feeding. Not as long as you know. The Nelson plant food your products slow and easy, but it is a good one to use and it's going to get you. I would say, you know, definitely get eight weeks out of that before you need to go into the slow releases. It's an excellent product. It's got the ratios of nutrients that help grass do its best, and I like that delayed release of some of the nutrients is in it. It's carbon based nitrogen sources to feed the soil of microbes. And you know, when you have healthy soil, you have healthy grass. It's less vulnerable to pest and disease problems. And Nelson plant foods are widely available throughout the greater Houston area. Here, let's go back to the phones now and we're going to go talk to Rick in Montgomery. Is that correct?
Speaker 9: Hello?
Speaker 3: Hey, Rick, are you in Montgomery. Yes, sir, all right, how can we help?
Speaker 28: My wife and I recently purchased an arbqueena olive tree from the Montgomery.
Speaker 12: Gardeners what they have every year.
Speaker 13: And we're we've been gardners for our whole life, but we've never really dealt with an.
Speaker 12: Queen an olive tree.
Speaker 3: And I was wondering, I sure planet should be planted in the ground.
Speaker 6: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Two keys you do plant in the ground. Two keystock to growing your Arbiquinia olive is good drainage and good sunlight. So start with that. Find find a spot with good sunlight. And then if the drainage is at all in question, you need to build up a really good, significant raised mound because those roots need not to sit in soggy so that's important. Get it in the ground, and once it's been in the ground for about six weeks, start to fertilize it. I would use a lawn fertilizer, not something with weed controlled in it, just fertilizer, and I would use that at a rate of about a cup per inch of trunk diameter. Again starting about six weeks after you've planted the olive, and the more you keep grass away, the faster it's going to grow. The more you molt the soil around it and keep you know, keep the weed eater and lawn more away from damaging the bark and the grass from competing, the better your growth.
Speaker 13: Is going to be.
Speaker 3: When we get to this fall, olive are marginally hardy in our area, and a newly planted plant is always a little less hardy than a well established one. So this next winter, as we get into temperatures that are going to drop down in the mid twenties, you definitely need to have a good cover over that to get get it, give it a few two or three years to get well established and and it'll be a little bit hardier that way.
Speaker 12: Okay, okay, excellent, all righty.
Speaker 3: One more question.
Speaker 12: Curry leaf tree. We just I rooted a curry leaf.
Speaker 16: Plant, and from my understanding is those should not be planted in the ground here in Texas.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to curry leaf plant. Do you do you have you know the name for that curry leaf It's it's like, yeah, it's like a little kind of a tropical tree with a whole bunch of leaves along the petioles. Is I think that's the one that you're referring to. Yeah, yeah, they'll actually make a little bush and stuff. They're not really cold hearty. They'll go to zone nine. But you know you're I would say it's a little bit of a risk for you on that. So people, you can grow them in a container.
Speaker 12: You can do that.
Speaker 3: There's not a problem with growing them in a large container. Container limits the size. But if you've got a good large container, you know that's that's enough of a curry plant to get what you want out of it. If you put it in the ground, just know that we're going to get some winners in here that are gonna are going to do some significant damage to it. Yeah they could. They could. But anytime you have a plant like that, by the way, and this is true of olives too, et ceteras, when we're going to have a really cold spell and you don't feel like you can protect it adequately, you can mound about a foot high mound of soil around the trunk and get through that winter, and if it kills it back, it kills it back to that mound, and then when you pull the soil back away, you'll get reef sprouting and you haven't lost the plane. You just lost the top growth on it. But I'm gonna have to run. Yeah, I got to run to another call. But good luck with that. Yeah, that one. I don't think I've ever had a call on curry leaf tree before. So that's cool, all right, folks. That that's a new one. I like them now. It makes me want to go out and buy one of those Nature's Way resources is the well, let's just put it this way. They're the grandfather of brown stuff before green stuff in the greater Houston area. They've been doing this long before compost was cool. Okay. And so when you got to Nature's Way, which is on I forty five North, it's just to the right across the railroad tracks. When you get to where fourteen eighty eight comes in, you're going to find the those lines of products that cover everything from acid loving plants to fruit trees, to vegetables to mulches for the top of the so high quality multus for the top of the saw, many versions. You can buy their products by the bag in many places. You can also go pick them up or you can have them delivered. Oh, either way, you want to go check out the new website. It's cool Nature's Way Resources dot Com or give them a call. Nine three six two seven three twelve hundred. Ninety three six two seven three twelve hundred. We're going to go now to Baytown and talk to Henry. Hey, Henry, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 12: Hey, it's good talking to you again. I just a real quick question.
Speaker 31: I had some trees removed, maybe over ten years ago, and then they grind, you know, they grind it all the way to the ground, et cetera. And every once in a while I got to go out there and I got to keep putting soil on there because it's kind of had got holes in there. And someone told me, I need to put sane in there first, then put the soil on top.
Speaker 12: That way, say it will create like a base. Is that true?
Speaker 15: No?
Speaker 3: No, just put good soil. Put the soil that's in your kind of soil that's in your yard. If you can, but a good top soil on there. I usually tell people, and they're having you know, some people are listening to this that maybe are having a tree ground. Get all the wood chips you can out of it, because those woodships will decompose away and the soil will sink and you're never going to get all the wood chips out. So when you re put the soil in, after you've ground and got out all, you can make it a picture's mound. Raise it up a little bit because it will sink down and then it'll be more level. But in your case, maybe most of the sinking's been done, Henry, I don't know. You have a feel for that, and so you may not have to pile it up too high. But yeah, just just make a mound over those areas.
Speaker 31: Yeah, I think that's what the problem is because I have been I've been doing it for the last five years, keep adding soil.
Speaker 12: So when I get the soil, I'm gonna go ahead and make it like a picture mount. Se you what happens.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's I think that's what I would do on it.
Speaker 12: All right, good luck, thank you, all.
Speaker 3: Right, take care out there in Beytow. You bet looks like we got off the line just in time. Somebody rang the doorbell. They're probably coming to bring him some soil to make that picture's mout. I bet that's what's going on. You're listening to garden Line our phone number seven one three two one two kt R h give me a call. I got some time for well, maybe not one in this hour, but you'll be first up when we go the next hour. Have you ever been down to Jorges Hidden Gardens. They're down in Alvin. Actually, if you are actually in the main part of Alvin, you're gonna get on Highway six and go south towards Santa Fe a little bit, and I would say about halfway Santa Fe, off to the right, you will come to Jorges Hidden Gardens. It's set off the road a little bit there, so just it's on Elizabeth Street. Elizabeth Street is the one that we're talking about.
Speaker 13: Now.
Speaker 3: When you go down there, you're going to find a lot of quality plants. Right now, they've got some nice blueberries that I mean, they're excellent, very very nice blueberries. And you hear me talk about my favorite spring flowering tree, which is Chinese fringe tree. They've got them. Horay has got Horay has a lot of different kinds of trees and all kinds of sizes. Some of them you're going to hire him to come out and plant and he'll do that too. By the way. At Jorgez Hidden Gardens again on Elizabeth Street, South of Highway six. Now while you're there, you can get the three sixty tree stabilizer. You know what I think about those, They are absolutely important to any kind of a new planting. They allow that tree to move a little bit and it's just good to use them. I'll just leave it at that. But he carries those at Horagez Hidden Gardens. While you're there, check out the flowers, beautiful vinkas or Madagascar periwinkles and their beautiful roses. Got a lot of the Peggy Martin, for example, That is an outstanding rose that he carries there and even has them on little trellises. But there's way more than just one kind of rose there. He also has peaches, a lot of the varieties of peaches that are lower chill that need to be planted down south in that area. He carries those and so that's that is a great place to go for your fruit trees as well. So you just need to get out there. Jorges Hidden Gardens on Elizabeth Street kind of in between Alvin and Santa Fe area, just south of Highway six. Go check him out.
Speaker 12: All right.
Speaker 3: Time for me to take a quick break and we'll be right back for our last segment of the day, oh Man, summer is coming time for some drift away music. Welcome back to Guardenline. Good to have you with us. Listen. We've been talking off and on today about compost, top dress and core aeration. And if you live south and west, I had to get a map in my head here south and west to Houston, like from sugar Land and Missouri City on the west end, all the way down across to Pearland and Manville and then includes all the up and down Highway six places like Fresno and Cia, Racola and Iowa Colony. BMB Turf Bros. Is a company I need to know about, and they do compost top dressing and they do core aeration. They are quality equipment that does the job right. They only use quality, top quality leaf more compost from Ciena mos So that tells you right there, they're getting it from Siena. You're talking about good stuff there. They only use products that I recommend here on Guardenline. So it's as simple as that. I have no qualms about telling you BMB Turf Pros. Another reason I love BEMB Turf Pros is it's a family owned service that provides honest, quality work. They care about making you happy. They want to ensure your satisfaction, and they make that personal connection. This isn't an you know, call the call center and whatever I mean. This is they want to personally make that connection because they know you'll come back because they do good work. And that's the kind of service folks. We love to have. BB turf Pros dot com. No end in the website. BB turf Pros dot com. Seven to one three two three four fifty five ninety eight seven one three two three four five five nine eight. Let's set up to Conroe. Now we're going to talk to Bill in Conroe. Hey Bill, Welcome to guard Line.
Speaker 9: Hey Skip, I got a follow up question on take all root rot. You went through three steps. I had it really bad and I just last week replaced the SOD. So my question is, can you do any of the three steps the beete, moss, iron zinc at war shargest place.
Speaker 3: I would not, Now I would not. Here's the thing about take all. Take all is an opportunist a disease. So when you have a healthy eat grass, it's not like take all just shows up and kills it. But when the grass gets weak, take all is kind of ubiquitous, is out there in nature, but the grass gets weak and then it moves in, and as it moves in, it takes away what the grass needs to recover, and that's a root system. So it's like it's like a snowball going downhill when take all starts moving in. But I use a human example of you know, if you exercise and eat, write, and get a lot of sleep, and then the person right next to you doesn't do any of the above, and you both go to a party where someone may have a cold, you're less likely to come home sick than maybe they would be. And I don't know how good of a medical analogy that is, but the point is, keep your grass healthy and take it all is not a problem. Let your grass gets stressed from drought or disease or using a broad leaf herbicide in hot weather, and take all will be there.
Speaker 9: When do I start fertilizing a new side?
Speaker 6: He well, I no, yeah, at.
Speaker 3: Least a month. I Actually I put a long in last year and I didn't fertilize it all year because I got too busy. I should have needed it, but I just didn't get to it. But I at least a month. First of all, it's got to get a root system down in there, and it takes a while to fully get a good deep root system, several weeks, and then you can do a little fertilizing on it. I'll say a month after you put it in. That's the kind I mean. And there's no row rush.
Speaker 9: This could have been an even for what numbers do I use in the fertilizer for this?
Speaker 3: A ratio of three one, two, three times as much nitrogen the first number as the middle lower. Okay, Now, do you have a brand that you prefer that you've used in the past? I like, Okay, well I would get nitrofoss Silver Bags, super Turf. By the time you are going to start fertilizing this, it's definitely time for that. And it feeds it gradually, so you're not going to get a flush of growth, but it'll help that lawn get really dense if you give it adequate water.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 9: That sounds great. Okay, very good, thanks a lot, all right, you.
Speaker 3: Bet, Bill, And remember that regular mowing is one of the most important things to having a beautiful lawn, So is that new lawn is getting rooted in and stuff. The more often you mow, the better it's going to look. All right, thank you.
Speaker 9: Prophylactic on the fumus funder side. I have read that on the internet several places.
Speaker 3: Not now, Not now. The first fungus that you're going to be dealing with is a gray leaf spot when we get into a little warmer weather and too much nitrogen, too much water, and too much shade. All three of those pushed the grass toward great leaf spot infection. So do what you can to avoid those three, uh, and you'll be okay, okay, all right, right, thank you. Got any other questions or called, send me a picture and follow up with a phone call, and we'll walk you through this year in your lawn. Happy to do very much. All right, you take care. That's good. Speaking of lawn things, and I could have mentioned this, he said he'd liked Nitropos products. But Sweet Green is another one that's an eleven percent nitrogen product from Nitrofos that is a sugary based that dissolves away and it really supercharges the microbes in the soil. They love molasses type things. Even that is an excellent product. You can put it down. It's not like a salt base that would be immediately released, but pretty quick that gets in the soil and microbes do their work on it and start the process of getting the actual nutrient. The grass takes up available sweet green from nitrofos. To find sweet green and other night fosh products, places like RCW Nursery plans for all seasons on Luetta. You go out to ACE Hardware on single Rants. That's the one on on Mason Road Langham Creek, which is on five twenty nine Langham Creek Ace on the air edge of Copperfield, which by the way, they redid their store this past year and looks really good inside. And then go down to Stafford Courth hard round South Maine. It's going to carry night to frost products as well, makes it easy to find them widely available here in this area. Well, what am I looking at here? I've got probably not enough time for another call, so we're going to close down the calls here on garden Line and I'll just go out with a few comments. First of all, I hope you have a good time in the in the garden this week. Enjoy yourself. Find something you've never grown before and grow it. Try something you've never tried before in the garden. I guarantee you this. If you're listening to my voice, you need one more at least container of beautiful color plants to set this spring just ablaze with color and summer too. By the way, containers are versatile, fast and easy, and we don't use enough of them. And you can group containers together. Some people think, well, you know a container, put one container there. Well you can do that, but you get three different containers of different heights with different kinds of plants growing in them, and it makes just this giant arrangement of beauty that can be on a patio, it can be on a porch. I saw one once going into a front door where it was real shady, real dark, and then overhang there and they had used the chartruse colored sweet potato mine coming out of it. They had impatience around it because they can put up with the shade. They had a shade loving taller plant in there. It's gorgeous, so don't let any area go ugly, and you can put a beautiful container in it. There's the end of the day tip for you. We get out and go visit our garden centers. They are loaded right now, excellent time. And if you're going to plan a woody ornamental and that includes a rose, get it done now. It has the best chance of establishing well and surviving when you don't plan it when it's so darn hot, So get it done now, give it some time to get roots in the ground. We want you to have success. Hey, gardening is fun, have a good time. We'll be back next weekend. Remember Gardeningwithskip dot com.