Speaker 1: Here it is your Channel nine were first warning weather forecasts. You got wind Advisor beginning at ten o'clock this morning through seven pm. Beyond that, partly cloudy. Sky's high of fifty seven down to thirty one overnight with clouds clearing out tomorrow. We have clouds in the morning, sun sunshine in the afternoon, maybe some flurries.
Speaker 2: I have thirty eight overnight down at eighteen.
Speaker 1: Sorry, and on Sunday, mostly Sunday with a high of thirty eight thirty three. Right now, let's get an update on traffic in Chucking Room.
Speaker 3: From the UCL Traffic Center. Around forty percent of cancers are preventable. Lifestyle changes and screenings can make a difference. Called five on three five Big five U see scene scene. Highway traffic continues to look good this morning. No major time to legs to deal with or problems. Southbound seventy five the heaviest and that's just slowing down a bit at the lateral shock. Kingbram, I'm fifty five KRC the talk station seven thirty here, fifty five AIRCD talk station. Very happy Friday to you.
Speaker 1: Put a smile on my face to have Patty Scott and Roger King, Roger King's on the line, Patty Scott's in studio Heart for Seniors. We've had them on before and I'm from the bottom of my heart, I want to thank all my listeners for supporting the organization. They're doing wonderful things for seniors in you know care centers, you know Alzheimer's facilities, senior living centers, where they're quite often not closely watched and tended to. It's not that they, you know, intentionally neglect someone, but it's the concept of being able to know when someone is in need of some attention along the lines of incontinents, changing diapers and things, because otherwise you're stewing in your own juices, to put it lightly. Patty, always a pleasure to have you in the studio. Welcome back, Roger. It's good to have you on as well, sir, Thank you.
Speaker 4: Thank you, and Brian again, thank you for having us, because it's your listener base that has taken such an interest in this topic and they're alway supporting. And what I love is after the show, uh, they always call in and we're helping them. We've had and which is why we've launched the podcast, because we had so many questions from so many of your listeners that needed help.
Speaker 2: Well that's great, it's you know.
Speaker 1: One of the reasons I get up in the morning is because I get an opportunity to spread news and information about organizations like yours. And what a simple concept and and and genuinely, you know, easily affordable concept you guys have brought about. It just sounds like why didn't someone do this before? So why don't you remind my listeners, maybe the someone who's not familiar with It's It's heart the number four seniors dot org. That's the website where you can learn about their mission and maybe donate. I provided them with a donation myself. I was so inspired by what they're doing. So one of you, Roger or Patty, take it over and explain the concept what you're doing.
Speaker 5: Okay, well I'll launch this off. Well let's just talk about the problem. And basically, when you look at incontinence care and nursing homes and assists of living and other aggregate living situations, the lack of responsiveness to incontinent episodes is a major area of concern. I would say that when you're looking at fifty to eighty percent of the population in a nursing home being in continent.
Speaker 2: That's a lot of people.
Speaker 5: And right, we're seeing often and it's not incumbent at all to see people lay for twelve hours without being changed or more. And sometimes by then, of course they've had several episodes of incontinence, and you know, you're you're looking at some really negative outcomes that can occur from that. Usually the first thing is you get you know, red blistered skin, which is painful.
Speaker 2: Tip you'll see that epidermal.
Speaker 5: Erosion turn into a wound, and of course of the incontinent, uh, and attention continues that woind's going to get infected. This is a spiral downward and often you'll see these wounds get very deep and with with a systemic infection, you know, you can you can be looking at a hospitalization and even death. So it's it really is an area of care that is just fundamental and can lead to some pretty serious negative outcomes. So what we need to.
Speaker 2: Do is do better in a way that doesn't.
Speaker 5: Punish people or use you know, punishments as the way of going about it. And that's that's been what we're about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you and you say punishment.
Speaker 1: You're talking about the caregivers at whatever facility that are responsible for going around in checking on the status of each individual patient. But if you get a facility that's got a lot of people in it, and there's always there's always not enough people to take care of the people in the facility. And Patty's nodding in great approval. So the ratio of providers to patients, if we can call them patients, is inadequate. But that's difficult thing to overcome. And the other component is, you know, they're not always the most highly trained, skilled people. You're not talking about skilled nurses taking care of folks. You're talking about, you know, people who have just been given a certain set of training and like, okay, every two hours or every five hours or every ten hours, I once you to do this particular wing, and once you check them, and then you go back to your posts. So I get that, But punishing them for something that they have, well, an inability to get their heads and hands around, just seems like it just a worthless effort. So we'll pause and we'll bring back Roger and Patty to talk about a much much better way to go about doing this, and It's really terrific, and I know my listeners are going to go directly to the facilities where their loved ones are and demand that this be brought about. That's what we're hoping that happens. So let's pause for a moment. And I feel so terrible. You know, a big fan of Gene Hackman. I'm not going to get down to the road about you know, movies and movie stars and the like, but great actor. And they found him, his wife, and their dog dead in their house. And the first thing they went through my mind because there was no signs of foul plan. I know it has been fully investigated. Carbon monoxide has been talked about as a possible reason for their death. And that's why I always like to use the Chimney Care Fireplace in stove commercials to just do the right thing and get yourself a carbon monoxide detector and of course to take care of your safety. That's what Chimneycare Fireplace and stove is all about. It's comfort, but yes, it's also safety. Have your chimney inspected. For you wood burners out there, they have a wood burning sweep and evaluation called the Winter Special for just one hundred and sixty nine dollars and ninety nine cents plus tacks. They'll inspect your chimney top the botto. If it needs to be swept, they'll sweep it. Maybe their lining's cracked. That's nice information to know. They know how to do relining. Anything that's wrong, including water damage, they'll find out about it. That's the point of an inspection, and of course is sweep so woodburning sweep in evaluation LOLO price of one sixty nine ninety nine. Get in touch with my friends at Chimneycare Fireplace and Stove. Can easily schedule an appointment online and see all the other things they offer, including the showroom options and the fireplace inserts and stoves. That's Chimneycareco dot Com. Be are locally owned and operated since nineteen eighty eight eight plus with a better business field Chimneycareco dot Com or five one, three, two four eight ninety six hundred fifty five card talk station.
Speaker 2: Here's your tennel nine first warning weather forecast.
Speaker 1: When advisory starts at ten this morning and lasts until seven this evening. Today we'll be partly tidy with a high fifty seven overnight low of thirty one Tomorrow, we have clouds in the morning, afternoon sun, chance of snow floorries. It'll be a high of thirty eight down to eighteen overnight with clear skies and a sunny for the most part. Sunday with a high of thirty eight thirty three degrees. Right now, let's see what Chuck has on traffic from the.
Speaker 3: UCO Traffic Center. Around forty percent of cancers are preventable. Lifestyle changes in screenings can make a difference. Called five on three five eighty five U see CE scene. Highway traffic continues to look good this morning. No major time delays to deal with or problems. Seven seventy five the heaviest and that's just slowing down a bit at the lateral. Chuck kingbrad On fifty five KRC the talk station.
Speaker 1: Seven forty fifty five KRC the talk station. Very Happy Friday to you. Air Force Colonel Josh McConkey with his book Be the Weight behind the Spear. After the top of the our news and the return of vets and Bruis for the Bourbon Raffle and concert Matt Demarrison Shay Hensley at eight thirty. In the meantime, plan please to have Patty Scott and Roger King on the show to talk about Heart for Seniors. It's Heart the Number four Seniors dot Org. They address elder abuse and neglect in nursing homes and elder care facilities. And we were talking about incontinent It's a huge problem. It's almost impossible for everyone to stay up on it, which is why, as Roger pointed out in the last segment and sorry to hear it, with eighty percent of the patient's experiencing a and that's a figure I was not aware of. That's a lot. So you have a huge volume of people who need their diapers change regularly, and he Roger already outlined all the medical implications behind that not happening. So now we address the problem with a unbelievably simple, ingenious solution. You want to take care of that, Roger, Patty is at your turn.
Speaker 4: Roger, I can talk about it here as well. So Hard for Seniors actually funds with your donations. Additional technology.
Speaker 2: It's simple.
Speaker 4: It's alert response technology and it literally is technology that is a smart brief specifically with incontinence. And Roger can go into more detail of that. That simply alerts the healthcare worker that there's been moisture.
Speaker 1: Right, so second floor room B got to go there because you've got a situation.
Speaker 2: I don't have to worry about it.
Speaker 5: Oh, go ahead, No, it's better than that. It is it is missus Smith in room one hundred that the steff knows exactly who it is. It's when you think about this, you first have to look at the protocol that most of these nursing homes are using. Now they say, well, to the staff, you're supposed to check every resident every two hours to see if they've had an incontinence episode. Of course there's no accountability for that. Now, when you do the math, if you have just fifty people in a building with twelve nursing assistants, you're supposed to check those people six hundred times a day. If you're doing it every two hours, it doesn't work. The numbers don't work. And when I've asked nursing assistants.
Speaker 2: Well, how do you check? How do you check?
Speaker 5: Well? You hear things like I touch, I smell, I feel, I peak. It's undignified for both parties, really, and when you set up when you set up a protocol, hall, that's doomed to failure, and everybody knows that eventually you get surrender, and surrender equals neglect, So the numbers don't work.
Speaker 2: And with the technology, what we.
Speaker 5: Do is you forget all that only go when you're alerted that there's an episode. So now instead of trying to run around and check everybody, we're directing traffic and we're saying to the nurse aid, go to room one hundred, check on missus Smith, and it talks to a smartphone the nurse AD's carrying, and she goes to the room, and then the technology monitors how fast they got there, you know, and and tracks the time it took.
Speaker 2: To take care.
Speaker 5: What we're seeing with the bioling technology is about a one hour response time on average, which is excellent. We're getting there quick, so the and then the staff. Ultimately, as the software tracks what's going on and creates daily reports, we do an incentive program which gives rewards points to the nursing assistance for moving faster and working harder, so we get better efficiency overall, and we get better outcomes and better responsiveness to the needs of these residents.
Speaker 2: That's just the entire that's the entire process.
Speaker 1: It's just so logical and reasonable. And I always wonder because you know, this type of technology has been available or could have easily been available, for quite some time. But it's just amazingly impactful. And I like the incentive program built on top of it, because again, getting people to get up and do something that they probably is the least desirous part of their job. Okay, you're going to get to interact with seniors and maybe help them if you get joy and enlightenment from that. Help them with their meals and move them around, get them outside. That kind of thing all up can be uplifting components of the job. But when it comes to dealing with this, I gotta imagine it's probably bottom on the list of things that folks want to do. So having an incentive to get up there and clean them up real quickly is just an extra benefit of this, of this this software and this technology. Now I'm on your website again, heartfour Seniors dot org. Does it monitor other things? Because I see you talk about irregular heartbeating, dehydration and respiratory conditions and things of that nature.
Speaker 2: Does it also do that well?
Speaker 5: The brief system itself will monitor for fevers. It will also monitor for turning a position. But within that software, we will alert if someone hasn't urinated in a certain period of time, so we're looking at dehydration, we're looking at some other kinds of factors that you can information you can derive from the output of the human body. So there's that, but we have additional hardware that feeds them to. Ultimately, the goal is to have an entire ecosystem of technology over a building. So we're alerting on lots of different needs. So there's a riskwearable device that looks at pulse sc symmetry, it looks at heart rate, it will alert on tacocardia, bradycardia, and we're looking at fever with that as well. So if something goes above or blow a certain threshold and it's patient specific, it sends out an alert to the smart devices and tells us that, hey, missus Jones in room two hundred has a fever, or we've got to drop in pulsec symmetry, you know, seventy five percent instead of you above ninety, whatever the case may be. So the technology is designed to tell the staff there's a need that exists. Potentially with a resident, we need you to go check on them. We need you to go deal with this, as opposed to just you know, having some sort of protocol or neglect happen, as the case may be. I can imagine how long it might be if someone has a fever in a nursing him before it's detected.
Speaker 2: It can go for a while.
Speaker 5: And the earlier you get there, the faster you respond to these needs, the better the outcome.
Speaker 2: Well, and I'm for your idea.
Speaker 1: And I'm staring at your results at on heartfurseniors dot org, and I'm just kind of wondering as I see the insane increase in improvement eighty six percent improvement in response time, ninety three percent reduction in hospitalizations, ninety five percent reduction amiss early warning signs, ninety percent increase in overall patience satisfaction. And it's kind of one of the things I was thinking, are these facilities rated by state organizations or entities? Do they get scores themselves like oh that one's got a bad rep, that one's got a good rep. This could in and of itself create a much more positive environment and a much higher satisfaction rate among the patients because they're being taken care of. The family members know that this technology is there and they're not going to get neglected. They're going to see the scores and the numbers. I mean, this is this is good for the facility, it's good for the families who are worried about their loved one, and more fundamentally, it's good for the loved one who's laying there.
Speaker 5: I would agree it's it's a win win win, and ultimately it's uplifting to the caregivers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 5: You're talking about employees who make let's just say twenty dollars an hour for a nursing assistant. That's not a living wage. And we come in with the technology and we say, you know what, if you move fast, if you work harder, if you learn some new skills around technology, we're going to give you additional rewards. And Brian, what's really interesting is a nursing assistant. You know, every two weeks we issue the gift cards to these people and let's just say it's one hundred and fifty dollars. That's gasoline in their car, that's groceries to the family. That's extra money they haven't they look forward to that. It's amazing how much difference it makes to them. So we're looking to not just impact that residence, but the workers, the healthcare workers themselves, you know, and make sure that they're uplifted along with the quality of care.
Speaker 2: Amen to that.
Speaker 1: You are a five oh one C three nonprofit and of course you provide these resources to folks and it's all funded through individual contributions and donations. And I strongly encourage my listeners. You're saving lives with this, and you're improving people's quality of life, especially in those years where a lot of people suffer from a lack of quality of life. Heart Number four Seniors dot Org upright hand corner. Little button says donates easy to do. I've been there and done that, and I sure got a great amount of satisfaction for knowing that that money was being spent. I mean, you know, this is a worthwhile donation.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 1: And Roger, it has been a real pleasure having you back on and I feel so much better about the seniors and those facilities thanks to the work that you're doing. And again I'll encourage my listeners to help you out with the donation. On your website learn more about the entire program. Keep up the great.
Speaker 4: Work, Brian. Thank you for your support. I could not do it without you, and we encourage anybody who wants to go deeper about incontinence head out to the podcast. We are on all platforms, including the iHeart platform, and it's a deep dive. It's a long one, but Roger and doctor SHAWNA. Rutherford go deep into incontinence care, wounds, all kinds of things. And we're going to keep doing the podcast because your listeners have asked, oh that's great, They've wanted specific topics, so we're just going to keep going with it.
Speaker 1: So it's Heart for Seniors podcasts. Search for it, you'll find it and I'm sure you'll enjoy finding out all the information and details. Thanks again for the work that you're doing. Truly uplifting work it is, and love gett an uplifting message on a Friday, particularly take care of both. You have a wonderful weekend and I'm sure we'll be hearing from you again down the road at least I hope. So, folks, you want to get in touch with my friends at Bud Herbert Motors. It's springtime. It's time to think about doing the lawn. You know you're going to be cutting the grass, and you know you're old lawnmower ain't up to snuff, or maybe you've been looking and thinking about a new one. Don't go to the box stores. Are you gonna be working with a box store family member, someone who takes pride in the organization.
Speaker 2: Probably not.
Speaker 1: You think you'll be talking to someone who knows everything there is to know about the equipment they sell, Probably not. And they will not be selling the world's top quality brands like John Deere and x Mark and Steel and Honda. That's the brands that Bud Herbert Motors services and cells and about which they have all the knowledge in the world. And you will be working and speaking with a Herbert family member when you shop there. Proud they are the family tradition, five generations in a row. Bud Herbert founded the company more than seventy five years ago. Two locations, one phone number, and one website. So get over to the website. Check it out of Bud Herbertmotors dot com. That's where I got my Hana PUSHMOREE love it. They told me last one I'd ever need in my life. That's the quality level that I bought five four one thirty two ninety one, five one three five four one thirty two ninety one again online Bud Herbertmotors dot com.
Speaker 3: Fifty five KRC dot com.
Speaker 2: If you're a clearmontcownt