Speaker 1: Welcome to the deep dive. So, if you've ever tried, you know, plotting a course for a cybersecurity career, you probably found it's less like a clear path and more like trying to navigate a maze that keeps changing shape.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it really does feel like that. Sometimes.
Speaker 1: Today we're going to try and cut through some of that confusion. We're drawing on insights from a CISO who's well been through it all to hopefully give you a more strategic way to think about it.
Speaker 2: And look, we really need that kind of strategy. Cybersecurity. It's still a pretty young field, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Definitely.
Speaker 2: I mean, unlike say engineering or law, we don't have those decades or centuries even of established professional standards. ORG structures are all over the place. Career letters seem like they're invented new in every company.
Speaker 1: Right, and you hear about how short the tenure is for leaders like CISOs. What is it two to four years on average?
Speaker 2: That's about right, And that fact alone just raises the stakes for every single move you make in your career. It puts pressure on things.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that short tenure really frames what we need to talk about today. Our goal isn't just about you know, how to get your foot in the door.
Speaker 2: No, it's much bigger than that.
Speaker 1: It's about building a foundation for a career that actually lasts, something sustainable, even if you're aiming for those really high perchure leadership spots. Eventually, we want to look at the common challenges, the questions people ask at well every stage and figure out not.
Speaker 2: Just what to do, but the why, the fundamental why behind it all.
Speaker 1: That's the key, exactly the why, And.
Speaker 2: Honestly figuring out that why is the first, and i'd argue, the most critical step you need to take. You know, the old advice was always just trial and error, hope for some good luck, work really.
Speaker 1: Hard, Yeah, the grit and luck model, right.
Speaker 2: But if you actually start with some deliberate thinking, some introspection, you take a lot of that luck element out of the equation, or at least you minimize it.
Speaker 1: So you've got to constantly ask yourself why security specifically all parts of the job actually give you energy? What motivates you deep down? Is it the learning, the paycheck, status.
Speaker 2: Helping people? You have to know that stuff because if your choices aren't anchored to what you genuinely value. Then every bump in the road, every challenge, it just feels ten times harder than it needs to be. Take the c IO whose experience were drawing on. She didn't actually set out to be insecurity. Initially, her core values were all about the tendability, predictability, reliability. She just needed things to work as planned.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that inherent need for order, How did that lead her to security?
Speaker 2: Well, think about major disruptions like nine to eleven or the big Northeast power outage years ago. Those events highlighted the need for solid disaster recovery for business continuity planning.
Speaker 1: Ah I see, so her personal need for reliability lined up perfectly with that kind of planning exactly.
Speaker 2: She found her motivation wasn't about you know, chasing hackers necessarily, but about ensuring things kept running smoothly operational stability.
Speaker 1: So the big takeaway there is constantly look for roles, look for projects, look for experiences that really resonate with your own core strengths and what you actually care about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's finding that sweet spot right where what the business needs overlaps with what genuinely motivates you.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's unpack this a bit for someone maybe just trying to break into the field. Now, security is I mean, it's obviously a tech heavy discipline. You need some baseline technical chops, right yeah, networking, maybe cloud, maybe some scripting.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, that's the table stakes, the prerequisite. But here's the really fascinating part. The paradox almost go on. Mentors in this field consistently say that people very rarely ask them how to do the technical stuff.
Speaker 1: Wait, really, what do they ask? Then?
Speaker 2: The overwhelming majority of questions are about navigating the organization, how to deal with difficult personalities, how to understand the political landscape, how the company structure actually works or doesn't work.
Speaker 1: So it's the soft skills those are the real differentiators.
Speaker 2: Then, bingo. You hear hiring managers say it all the time. I can teach someone the specific tech we use here, but I can't easily teach them how to communicate effectively or work well with others.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's focus on those non technical areas. You flagged three key ones that seem to make or break a career in security.
Speaker 2: Yeah, free, big ones. Number one. Communication, and this isn't just about writing good technical reports though, that's important too. It's about being able to answer questions from management succinctly, get to the point, don't bury the lead and drug in, and crucially, learn to use business cases. Frame your arguments in terms of the business understands.
Speaker 1: Translate risk into dollars and cents or competitive advantage precisely.
Speaker 2: If you can't do that translation, your brilliant technical idea of dies on the mind because nobody with budget authority understands why they should care makes sense?
Speaker 1: Okay, what's number two?
Speaker 2: Number two is emotional intelligence EI or EQ. Honestly, this one is almost about survival and security.
Speaker 1: Survival that sullds dramatic.
Speaker 2: Well, think about that piece of feedback we saw. You might be right, but you're not being effective.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's blunt.
Speaker 2: It's incredibly powerful, though, isn't. It gets right to the heart of the issue. Security folks often have to tell smart, driven people that they can't do something the quick or easy way HEI EI. Knowing yourself, managing your reactions, having empathy. That's what lets you navigate those conversations without just alienating everyone.
Speaker 1: So even if you have the technically correct answer, if you deliver it badly, you lose.
Speaker 2: You lose effectiveness. Absolutely, you might win the argument but lose the war, so to speak.
Speaker 1: How does someone who's maybe naturally focused on rules and logic learn to well manage their ego or approach in those moments.
Speaker 2: A lot of it comes down to empathy, really trying to understand the other person's perspective, which ties directly into the third skill partnership.
Speaker 1: Partnership.
Speaker 2: Okay, this isn't just about doing your assigned tasks. It's about actively looking for ways to make processes better, especially processes that involve multiple teams. It means trying to see the world through your partner's eyes. What are their goals, what are their pressures.
Speaker 1: And figuring out how security can help them achieve their goals, not just block them exactly.
Speaker 2: If you can frame security as an enabler for their success, you become so much more valuable, so much more effective than someone who just sits in their silo and enforces rules.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a great framework communication EI partnership. Let's shift gears slightly to mindset. Especially for people starting out, there's this huge pressure I think, this feeling you have to be perfect, know everything.
Speaker 2: Oh, definitely, and job postings don't help right, They.
Speaker 1: List this impossible combination of skills nobody actually has.
Speaker 2: It's often an aspirational wish list. The key thing to remember if you're applying is not do I meet every single bullet point, but rather, do I genuinely believe I can learn and do this job effectively. Focus on your potential and your ability to learn.
Speaker 1: What about certifications, that's always a big question.
Speaker 2: Do you need Yeah, certifications, it's nuanced. Look need a specific certification to actually do the day to day work well, but you might very well need them to get the interview in the first place. They act as filters, especially for automated HR systems. They prove you have at least a baseline level of knowledge in a certain area, so needed for the job. Maybe not needed to get the job quite possibly.
Speaker 1: Okay. That clarifies things and for building momentum once you're in a role. What's the advice there?
Speaker 2: Two main things. First, never stop being curious. You never arrive in security. Things change constantly. You have to invest time, often your own time outside of work, just keeping up learning about new threats, new technologies. And the second thing, don't jump rolls too quickly, especially early on. It's tempting. I know, recruiters are always calling. Yeah, but you need to stay in a role long enough to actually see things through, to understand the real impact of your work over a couple of business cycles. We're talking maybe a year or two minimum. Why is that so important Because if you leave every six or nine months, you only ever experience the immediate crisis, the fire droll of the moment. You don't get the chance to learn the deeper strategy to build those partnerships we talked about, or to see the results of longer term projects. You just get surface level exposure, right.
Speaker 1: You need that time to actually gain deep skills, not just a collection of brief experiences. Okay, So, assuming someone's navigated the entry path, maybe their mid career, Yeah, let's talk about where things often get really tough. Stress and conflict.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Security work carries a pretty unique kind of stress, doesn't it, And it changes shape over your career. When you're junior, the stress is often internal, Do I know enough? Can I handle this workload?
Speaker 1: And poster syndrome?
Speaker 2: Maybe exactly, But later on, as you get more senior, the stress tends to become more external. It's about organizational conflict.
Speaker 1: What's the root of that conflict.
Speaker 2: Typically, it often boils down to a fundamental difference in perspective security pros. We tend to be evangelists. We see security controls policies as essential as strategic enablers for the business long term.
Speaker 1: But other people in the business they often.
Speaker 2: See those same controls as as annoying speed bumps, friction, things that slow them down from hitting their targets, launching their products.
Speaker 1: And that gap, that disconnect leads to.
Speaker 2: Leads to security constantly being called in late, often in firefighting mode, trying to fix problems that could have been avoided, and that constant reactive cycle is just exhausting. It leads to burnout.
Speaker 1: Okay, So if that's the core conflict, managing the stress means actively trying to bridge that gap. Right, Oh, how do you manage that disconnect strategically?
Speaker 2: There are a few key strategies. First, you have to teach them, but not using the old fud tactics fear, uncertainty and doubt that often backfires.
Speaker 1: So how do you teach effectively?
Speaker 2: You explain how security enables their success. Assume they have positive intent, that they want to do the right thing, but just don't understand the risks or the benefits. Show them here's how this control helps ensure the system they rely on stays of a fail. Or here's how following this process helps us avoid millions in fines connected to their world.
Speaker 1: Okay, teach them their language. What's next?
Speaker 2: Second, find common causes. Stop framing everything purely in security terms. Tailor your message. Does your business partner care most about saving money, reducing time to market, improving the customer experience?
Speaker 1: Find their goal and show how security aligns with it.
Speaker 2: Precisely, We saw that great example where implementing a security framework actually helped the network team reclaim unused IP addresses that saved them time and complexity, something they cared about deeply, probably more than the abstract idea of governance.
Speaker 1: Find the win win got it, and the third strategy.
Speaker 2: Third, and this is especially crucial as you become more senior advice, then let them decide. You have to recognize that actually implementing a control or funding a security initiative is almost always a business decision based on risk appetite.
Speaker 1: So your job is to provide the best possible advice exactly.
Speaker 2: Provide clear, unbiased advice about the risks the options, the potential impacts, but then you have to let the business owner make the call, and critically, you need to separate your personal feelings, your professional pride from that final outcome.
Speaker 1: That sounds hard, It is.
Speaker 2: Incredibly hard, but it's vital. Your value lies in giving sound advice. Whether they take it or not is ultimately their responsibility based on the business context. Getting too personally invested in every single decision is a fast track to burn out.
Speaker 1: That need to kind of separate yourself or align yourself correctly seems to link directly to the idea of culture fit too.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's just too draining to go to work every day feeling like you have to put on a mask to constantly bend your personality to fit in with the company culture.
Speaker 1: So aligning your personal why, your values with the culture and the specific type of security work you do is really important for long term sustainability.
Speaker 2: Massively important, and this is where thinking about those security personas can be quite helpful. There are archetypes, of course, not boxes, but they can give you clues about what kind of roles might fit you best.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's run through them. What's the first one?
Speaker 2: First is the protector This is someone motivated by a sense of duty, community service, maybe even national defense. They're drawn to roles where they're actively defending. Think Blue Team, operational defense, incident response. They're the ones running towards the fire.
Speaker 1: Okay, the protector. Who's next?
Speaker 2: Then you have the puzzler. This person is driven by intellectual curiosity, by complex challenges. They love taking things apart, figuring out how they work, solving intricate problems.
Speaker 1: Roles like penetration testing, reverse engineering, strategic planning exactly.
Speaker 2: Deep subject matter experts often fit here. Think Red Team or specialized security architecture roles.
Speaker 1: Got it.
Speaker 2: Third PERSONA third is the moral crusader. Their core drive is around ethics, fairness, doing things the right way. They believe in rules and ensuring they're followed.
Speaker 1: Ah So, Governance, Risk and Compliance GRC DRC.
Speaker 2: Is a natural home for them. Yes, they're the rule makers and the rule followers. Ensuring the organization operates with integrity and trustworthiness absolutely essential. In the last one, finally, the change agent. This person thrives on novelty, on new challenges. They see themselves as fixers, problem solvers. They love jumping into a new situation, sorting it out and then moving on to the next thing.
Speaker 1: They get bored easily with routine, very easily.
Speaker 2: They excel in project based work, maybe consulting, or roles where they're constantly tackling different kinds of problems. Now, like I said, few people are purely one type.
Speaker 1: Most people are a mix.
Speaker 2: Yeah, usually have a dominant trait and maybe pieces of the others. But understanding your primary driver, that main persona can really help you target roles in environments where you're more likely to feel engaged and frankly happy.
Speaker 1: So pulling this all together, it seems success in this really complex cybersecurity field comes down to a few key things. Really knowing your why, prioritizing those crucial professional skills like EI communication, and then learning how to manage that inevitable organizational stress by being seen as a partner not just the no police.
Speaker 2: That sums it up pretty well. Know yourself, build your professional skills, and learn to navigate the human side of the organization.
Speaker 1: And for you listening right now, if you're out there applying for jobs, maybe you're getting interviews, but you keep falling short at the final hurdle, not getting the offer. Our source material had a really specific piece of advice on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a common frustration. If you're consistently getting interviews. It usually means your technical skills, your resume on paper, it's good enough. They see the potential.
Speaker 1: So the problem isn't the skills.
Speaker 2: The failure is likely happening in the interview. It's probably about articulation. You might not be clearly explaining why you want this specific role at this specific.
Speaker 1: Company, connecting your story to their needs exactly.
Speaker 2: You need to sharpen how you talk about your background, your motivations, your personal why and directly link it to the job description, to the company's MISSI show them you understand what they need and how you specifically can help them achieve it. Don't just give generic answers.
Speaker 1: That's really actionable advice. Okay, let's wrap up with the final thought, something a bit provocative. Maybe that ties back to that CSO tenure issue we mentioned right at the start.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that average tenure of just twenty four to forty eight months. It's shockingly short, isn't it, And it means very few security leaders actually get to leave a deep, truly lasting legacy within an organization.
Speaker 1: So what's a provocative part Well, we talked.
Speaker 2: About managing stress and conflict, but think about structural success. Imagine a CISO builds a fantastic, high performing team, then they leave and within a year or so that team gets broken up. Maybe its functions get absorbed by other departments.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you hear about that happening.
Speaker 2: The provocative thought is that often that dissolution isn't just bad luck or changing priorities. It might actually be a failure of the previous leader. How So, a failure to effectively manage stakeholders up and outwards, to embed the security function so deeply and demonstrate its value so clearly across the organization that its mission and structure continue even after the leader departs. Their efforts weren't sticky enough.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, So the ultimate challenge for a leader isn't just building the team, but making its work indispensable and understood by the rest of the organization.
Speaker 2: Exactly, ensuring its value proposition is clear and integrated.
Speaker 1: So, if you are a security leader now, or you aspire to be one, maybe the real mission isn't just about your own tenure. It's about building a structure, a team, a set of processes, maybe even a succession plan that's so robust, so well integrated, that the mission survives your inevitable exit.
Speaker 2: That's the challenge.
Speaker 1: Our final question to you, then, is this, what are you going to do starting today to make sure your work, your team's work, becomes truly institutionalized, truly sticky enough to endure long after you've moved on.
Speaker 2: Think about the sustainability of your impact. Something to chew on. Will see you on the next deep dive.